Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, September 11, 2017

OTP 11 September 2017: Hurricane Irma wreaking havoc on minor league baseball playoffs

There are 18 minor league affiliations that play playoffs every season, and those playoffs all have different formats – some with one wild card, some with split first-half/second-half winners, some with a required 8-10 team playoff grouping. This season, the issues caused by Hurricane Irma will lead to 3 of those 18 championships being cancelled and turned into co-champions.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 11, 2017 at 07:54 AM | 1783 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: minor league baseball, minor leagues, playoffs, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:06 PM (#5530510)
Elisa Petrini, 50+, writer, New York
Voted for Hillary in the primary and the general

I think it was a perfect storm of things. It was gerrymandering, it was voter suppression, it was demonization by Bernie, it was demonization by Trump, it was Russian interference, it was hacking, it was everything. But I think above all, it was that Hillary has been demonized for 30 years. A lot of it is sexism, a lot of it has been sexism from the beginning. I mean the way she was attacked as Bill's wife, for being the first president in history who had a wife who has an actual job and thought that she was going to make a meaningful contribution. She was attacked for that and told that she should be baking brownies and had to change her hairdo and all that stuff because she thought that she could have a role. I think that people are so ambivalent about the role of women and Hillary will never be forgiven for being female. Alas!

Comments like this kind of make me shudder. Not sure if it's because they hit a bullseye or because of what it says about the grievances, imagined or real, that people nurse to their bosom.

It's a little bit of both. One can often be perfectly justified in one's complaints, while at the same time it's probably not a great idea to keep reliving the past. Everything Ms. Petrini says is true, and it's testimony to her opponents' ability to keep up the fake news narrative to the point where her flaws were equated with Trump's. But the blunt truth is that "losers" are seldom forgiven for losing, and everything else is subordinate to that.
   402. Morty Causa Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:07 PM (#5530511)
My point there was about the number of incidents where sexual encounters that seemed consensual are later transformed into rape accusations. "Recovered memory" was just my sarcastic way of putting it.

Got it.
   403. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:08 PM (#5530513)
One word: Steam. Do you know why everybody and their god damn brother in tech is about "software as as service" and "micro-transactions"?

Because there's gold in 'dem hills and it's for life. Right now they make more off hardware than iCloud, but hardware is fickle. Ecosystems are for life. Apple is rightly worried that one day the iPhone won't be a hot commodity, but if you're already tied to the ecosystem you won't have much choice when it comes to buy a new phone.
Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. They even started giving away their new OSes for free a couple of years ago, after decades of charging for them, because the only purpose of their OSes is to sell hardware. That doesn't mean that they object to making money off services, of course, but that’s not their primary goal. iCloud exists to sell their hardware.
   404. PreservedFish Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:13 PM (#5530514)
I hit ctrl+F "petard" and got 19 matches on the last page. Tremendous. I only recently learned that a petard was a bomb - I had always imagined that a petard was a pike or lance or at least a flagpole, tricked by the word "hoist," and I can't imagine I'm alone in that.
   405. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:16 PM (#5530516)
can someone translate this into English?

Will you, "hang up and listen?"
   406. Morty Causa Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:18 PM (#5530519)

At Xmas and New Year holidays and on the July 4th, firecrackers were always referred to by my Cajun French elders as (French)"le petard".
   407. Greg K Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:19 PM (#5530520)
I hit ctrl+F "petard" and got 19 matches on the last page. Tremendous. I only recently learned that a petard was a bomb - I had always imagined that a petard was a pike or lance or at least a flagpole, tricked by the word "hoist," and I can't imagine I'm alone in that.

Yeah, the phrase always brought to mind someone hanging by their underwear, like the Critic when he bad-mouthed MacGyver.
   408. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:21 PM (#5530522)
Hello? Wired headphones are fine for being active.

Work out a lot do you?
   409. Omineca Greg Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:22 PM (#5530524)
My kids did French Immersion, and they used the term "pet". I think the expression involving "petard" might be a bit old fashioned, because neither of them had even heard of it.

They did a lot of presentations to the class about seals.

Like Greg K. said, someone who lives in, or close to, a French speaking area would know better.
   410. Omineca Greg Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:28 PM (#5530528)
Oh, now my son pipes up, "petard" means firecracker, he says.
   411. Howie Menckel Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:30 PM (#5530530)
393...anyone who watches Fox News is an idiot. Does that need translation?

I don't watch Fox News. I mentioned that I was channel-surfing. I was amazed to see BENGHAZI! on the captions, thought it was worth mentioning because wtf after all these years (possibly you have me confused with someone else?).

also mentioned the SPLC thing because it was weird whether accurate or not (turns out a now ex-Vanderbilt prof years ago praised a doc about discussions on race, got ripped by the SPLC for it, and says the organization has lost its way. and she was only accused of being "an apologist for white supremacists," if that matters)

so if I don't watch Fox News, and you ask how many times I have applied for a job there (wtf and zero), and if you say anyone who watches Fox News is an idiot...... is there a transitive property here where you are calling yourself an idiot? possibly
   412. BDC Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:37 PM (#5530535)
I had always imagined that a petard was a pike or lance or at least a flagpole, tricked by the word "hoist," and I can't imagine I'm alone in that

Not at all. Part of the problem is that it's a very odd use of "hoist" invented by Shakespeare. (The phrase is not proverbial; it comes from Hamlet and was originally always an allusion to Hamlet.) "Hoist" usually means with some kind of tackle attached to the object hoisted.
   413. PreservedFish Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:41 PM (#5530538)

Yeah, the phrase always brought to mind someone hanging by their underwear, like the Critic when he bad-mouthed MacGyver.

So what does "hoist" actually mean in context? Does it refer to the force of the explosion lifting the petardier into the air?
   414. PreservedFish Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:44 PM (#5530541)
One totally unsourced internet comment I found asserts that the petard was "hoisted" into position - that was the exact word that they used. That makes it the Shakespearean equivalent of a Yakoff Smirnoff joke. But Shakespeare being Shakespeare the joke probably works on about 10 levels, the farting one included.
   415. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:46 PM (#5530544)
Apple is a hardware company, not a software company.

Apple is a "make lots of money company". They don't limit themselves to making hardware, in fact the entire point of Apple products is the tight integration between the hardware and software. If they sold apple phones without iOS (but put Android on them or something) they wouldn't sell the same. Because it is BOTH aspects.

And yes right now they make most of their money from the hardware side (assuming you put 100% of iPhone sales into hardware and ignore iOS), that doesn't mean they are against monetizing their software. Like, for example, Siri. Because they very much want to catch up in the voice assistant space (they are behind Google and Amazon, and Samsung and Microsoft are all also making plays in the space).
   416. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:51 PM (#5530550)
Oh so your point is that Tucker Carlson lied when he said the black professor was a whitecsupremacist? My bad.
   417. DavidFoss Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:51 PM (#5530551)
petard

This was a unit in the old Age of Empires series. It was a french dude with a bomb used for blowing up walls. The unit was consumed by the explosion (you couldn't use him again like a battering ram). He had a physically walk all the way to the wall (he didn't shoot or throw the bomb).
   418. Morty Causa Posted: September 12, 2017 at 10:52 PM (#5530553)
I always thought the expression predated Shakespeare in some fashion, and he just made it eternally memorable.

Okay, now let's do "the stuff dreams are made of". I always associated it with the movie The Maltese Falcon having forgotten most of my Shakespeare by the time I saw the movie. (And, anyway, Shakespeare didn't exactly write that.)
   419. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:02 PM (#5530561)

I think it was a perfect storm of things. It was gerrymandering, it was voter suppression, it was demonization by Bernie, it was demonization by Trump, it was Russian interference, it was hacking, it was everything. But I think above all, it was that Hillary has been demonized for 30 years. A lot of it is sexism, a lot of it has been sexism from the beginning. I mean the way she was attacked as Bill's wife, for being the first president in history who had a wife who has an actual job and thought that she was going to make a meaningful contribution. She was attacked for that and told that she should be baking brownies and had to change her hairdo and all that stuff because she thought that she could have a role. I think that people are so ambivalent about the role of women and Hillary will never be forgiven for being female. Alas!

Everyone on the left is going to take the above to their graves, aren't they.
   420. Howie Menckel Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:03 PM (#5530562)
Oh so your point is that Tucker Carlson lied when he said the black professor was a whitecsupremacist? My bad.

I am willing to take this as a bad mix of medications and move on, if you like
   421. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:09 PM (#5530565)
Chicago Trib. Curt Schilling was unavailable for comment:

ESPN disavows Jemele Hill's tweets calling President Trump a 'white supremacist'

ESPN on Tuesday issued a statement disavowing host Jemele Hill’s tweets calling President Donald Trump “a white supremacist,” “a bigot” and “unqualified and unfit to be president.”

“The comments on Twitter from Jemele Hill regarding the president do not represent the position of ESPN,” the Disney-owned sports media giant said via its media relations department’s Twitter account. “We have addressed this with Jemele and she recognizes her actions were inappropriate.”

Beyond the statement, it was not clear Tuesday if Hill would face discipline for her Monday night Twitter activity.

In a Twitter discussion stemming from that, Hill over several tweets wrote that Trump was “a white supremacist who has largely surrounded himself w/ other white supremacists” and that he “is the most ignorant, offensive president of my lifetime.”

“The height of white privilege is being able to ignore his white supremacy, because it’s of no threat to you,” Hill tweeted. “Well, it’s a threat to me.”

In response to someone on Twitter vowing not to watch “SC6” unless ESPN fired her -- stating “U have the right 2 have ur opinion but u mix it with ur job it isn't right” -- Hill on Tuesday tweeted, “Do you know the difference between twitter & TV?”

Er, there's no difference between Twitter and tv in this context.
   422. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:11 PM (#5530567)
"Meds". I guess they say it has medicinal value. It never eased any physical pain I had while using it.

I bought a machine that extracts the active ingredients from the mother nature and transfers it into melted butter. Great machine.
   423. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:18 PM (#5530575)
BTW here are some excerpts from that Diane Ravitch letter (to Lamar Alexander) I linked to on the previous page:
Since Michigan embraced the DeVos family’s ideas about choice, Michigan has steadily declined on the National Assessment of Educational Progress.

In 2003, Michigan ranked 28th among the states in fourth-grade reading; the latest results, in 2015, showed that Michigan had dropped to 41st.

In 2003, Michigan ranked 27th in fourth- grade math; by 2015, it had declined to 42nd among the states.

Michigan has hundreds of charter schools. 80% of them are run by for-profit operators. The Detroit Free Press conducted a one-year review of the charter sector and concluded it was a $1 billion a year industry that operated without accountability or transparency and that did not produce better results than public schools. When the legislature tried to develop accountability standards for the charter industry in June 2016, Ms. DeVos successfully lobbied to block the legislation.

Detroit is awash in charters and few of them perform as well as the public schools. Detroit is the lowest rated urban district in the nation on the NAEP.

As for vouchers, there have been many state referenda over the past 20 years, and the voters have rejected them every time, usually by large margins. When Ms. DeVos and her husband Richard led a movement to change the Michigan state constitution to permit vouchers for religious schools in the year 2000, the referendum was defeated by 69-31%. Even in deep red Utah, the public rejected vouchers overwhelmingly in 2007. Florida was the last state to reject vouchers, in a 2012 vote deceptively named the Religious Freedom Act; it was defeated by 58-42%.

Time and again, the American public has said that they don’t want public money to be spent in religious schools.

We have experience and evidence about vouchers, which have been imposed by legislatures, not by popular vote. Milwaukee, Cleveland, and the District of Columbia offer vouchers, and these districts are among the lowest performing in the nation on national tests. Milwaukee and Cleveland have had vouchers for more than 20 years, and neither district has seen any improvement in its public schools, nor do the voucher schools outperform the public schools. When the taxpayers’ precious dollars are divided among two or three sectors, none of them flourishes.

The Every Student Succeeds Act, which you worked so hard to produce in a bipartisan spirit, goes a long way towards devolving control of education to states. I, of course, would have liked to see the elimination of the federal mandate for annual testing, which has proven to be ineffective for 15 years.

But the best way to enable ESSA to work is to appoint a Secretary of Education who comes to the job with knowledge, experience, and a commitment to let districts and states nurture better ideas than those imposed by Washington.

424. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:19 PM (#5530576)
I bought a machine that extracts the active ingredients from the mother nature and transfers it into melted butter.

Is it a frying pan?
   425. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:27 PM (#5530586)
No sir. That method isn't foolproof. The machine takes most of the labor out of the process.
   426. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:28 PM (#5530587)
Two days after Irma made landfall on Cudjoe Key, authorities and a few residents were finally able to reach some of the Florida Keys on Tuesday.
What they found was devastating: Based on initial estimates, 25% of the houses on the chain of islands have been destroyed, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said Tuesday. Another 65% suffered major damage.
"Basically, every house in the Keys was impacted some way," FEMA Administrator Brock Long said.
But Key West City Manager Jim Scholl told CNN that FEMA's estimates might be high. The damage in his city and in his neighborhood on Cudjoe Key didn't match those dire numbers, he said.

What's the last update from Miserlou?
   427. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:37 PM (#5530593)
No sir. That method isn't foolproof. The machine takes most of the labor out of the process.
Oh, wow. I did not know this was a thing, and looking it up now, I am excited to get myself a new toy. I'm glad you got all petardy with Howie for no reason.
   428. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:47 PM (#5530599)
Yes it was God's plan. If you're looking at something magical you're on the right track.
   429. DJS, the Digital Dandy Posted: September 12, 2017 at 11:59 PM (#5530601)
The 1984 segment from Hillary's book going around is hilarious; she actually thinks that Orwell's lesson is to listen to the people in charge and do what they say.
   430. DJS, the Digital Dandy Posted: September 13, 2017 at 12:05 AM (#5530603)
BTW here are some excerpts from that Diane Ravitch letter (to Lamar Alexander) I linked to on the previous page:

If you're going to simply regurgitate the opinion of someone you happen to agree with, can't you at least put some basic effort in and at least cherry-pick the actual study that happens to agree with you? Or even better, provide a meta-analysis rather than parroting the subjective interpretation of a study by someone who is a professional advocate for the position you take?
   431. greenback is not cosmopolitan Posted: September 13, 2017 at 12:23 AM (#5530606)
The 1984 segment from Hillary's book going around is hilarious; she actually thinks that Orwell's lesson is to listen to the people in charge and do what they say.

This is a thoroughly uncharitable reading of that quotation. The fact that you are comfortable with this interpretation helps explain the remarkable prevalence of odd views on vaccines and climate change. No gotcha points awarded.
   432. Heart of Matt Harvey Posted: September 13, 2017 at 12:45 AM (#5530613)
the phrase always brought to mind someone hanging by their underwear

Of course its petar, which being Shakespeare is some kind of fart joke. Perhaps covered above, but a petard is a small bomb used as a force multiplier targeted at an opponents bigger one.
   433. Heart of Matt Harvey Posted: September 13, 2017 at 12:49 AM (#5530614)
But Key West City Manager Jim Scholl told CNN that FEMA's estimates might be high. The damage in his city and in his neighborhood on Cudjoe Key didn't match those dire numbers, he said.

Guy I know said he once made an insurance claim when a wake from flooded roads knocked his front bumper off. What he did not report was that it was already damaged and ready to fall.
   434. Heart of Matt Harvey Posted: September 13, 2017 at 12:57 AM (#5530616)
But the blunt truth is that "losers" are seldom forgiven for losing, and everything else is subordinate to that.

How many white male candidates have lost because thry were poor candidates? Which is to say that womanhood is the hypocritical excuse of a loser whose link to a man made her political career possible.

And while grievance can be a powerful force driving a campaign, youve got to harness that resentment to a larger cause than I, myself, and youre with Me. If Obama had led with his blackness as reason to elect him, he would never have gotten past HRC to begin with.

There's a lesson there for future candidates not as thin skinned and wounded as poor, poor little Hillary.
   435. DavidFoss Posted: September 13, 2017 at 12:58 AM (#5530618)
This is a thoroughly uncharitable reading of that quotation.

It took me a while to figure out what he was talking about. Evidently, it is this tweet (with book excerpt).

Yeah, that is a pretty weird interpretation of that book excerpt. I wouldn't even give her credit for having that idea. It's a bit of a cliche at this point to state that crying 'fake news' or 'alternative facts' to delegitimize the media and the policy experts is something that authoritarians do to push their agenda through without debate. Not that Trump has been able to do that, but that was the fear. But sure, her book excerpt could have been worded a bit more clearly.
   436. DavidFoss Posted: September 13, 2017 at 01:07 AM (#5530624)

Yeah, they interviewed the caretaker of the Hemingway House which is a fortress-like structure in Key West on a high point of land which was built in 1850-something and had never sustained significant damage in any hurricane. He was stating hours the next day that everything was hunky dory in Key West and that people were out walking their dogs already.

But they had drone cameras out today and many places did look bad. I guess the concrete houses made it but anything wooden was shredded. And they are all cut off. The road back to the mainland is closed and they have no power. So, people might have to be evacuated even if they made it and their house is fine.
   437. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 13, 2017 at 01:11 AM (#5530625)
Ray, #419:

Yup, some will.

And you're going to die, transmigrate, and be reincarnated as an elk or a wax moth or a gopher, constantly telling all the other moths or gophers about the time you predicted Trump would win the nomination.
   438. DJS, the Digital Dandy Posted: September 13, 2017 at 01:31 AM (#5530629)
This is a thoroughly uncharitable reading of that quotation.

It's been awhile since I read 1984, admittedly, but I don't think O'Brien held up the fingers to make Smith distrust Big Brother.

Clicked the link, I don't follow that guy. I'm perfectly capable of making my own uncharitable interpretation of someone less self-aware than Emma Bovary. We're talking about someone, after all, who thinks "I take full responsibility" is a magic get-out-of-jail free card that doesn't mean anything and who can't admit fault in any way that's not a ludicrous humblebrag.
   439. DJS, the Digital Dandy Posted: September 13, 2017 at 01:42 AM (#5530633)

The most compelling argument is the hardest to say out loud; I was convinced that both Bill and Barack were right when they said I would be a better president than anyone out there.

Yeah, she was totally drafted into running; she wanted to just make cookies for grandchildren.
   440. Heart of Matt Harvey Posted: September 13, 2017 at 02:11 AM (#5530638)
On NPR, she said it losing gave her a chance to clean out her closets.
   441. canadian shield Posted: September 13, 2017 at 02:28 AM (#5530639)
If 'anyone out there' meant Trump then she was probably correct.
   442. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 06:35 AM (#5530642)
Well, given that other excerpts that have been released have already involved her comparing herself to a conman and an incestuous incompetent dictator, one might think the primary lesson is that Hillary's ghostwriters are morons.
   443. Lassus Posted: September 13, 2017 at 06:41 AM (#5530644)
This is a thoroughly uncharitable Libertarian reading of that quotation.
Apparently.

I'm sure David's interpretations of the text are spot-on, though.
   444. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 06:58 AM (#5530645)
It's never the scandal, it's always the cover-up.

Ted Cruz describes "mystery video" on his Twitter feed.
   445. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 08:07 AM (#5530648)
Apparently.

I'm sure David's interpretations of the text are spot-on, though.
Not sure why you're mixing up me and Dan, but also not clear how you think one should interpret the argument that we need to trust and rely on our leaders [sic], other than as a claim that we should trust and rely on our leaders [sic].
   446. Lassus Posted: September 13, 2017 at 08:16 AM (#5530650)
Not sure why you're mixing up me and Dan

I'm not. My quote referred to Dan's initial statement; I am also - in my opinion, of course - justifiably doubtful of your interpretation of any text regarding or written by any politician (#442). (You are probably more accurate than Ray, at least.)
   447. BDC Posted: September 13, 2017 at 08:22 AM (#5530651)
Yeah, I'm with Dan on HRC's 1984 analogy. Trump is Orwellian in his attitude toward truth: whatever bends power in his direction becomes his reality. But the lesson we should learn from that is to distrust our leaders, while critiquing press coverage and expert opinion judiciously.

As she's done before, Clinton makes a valid point and then adds a little sinister spin to it, as when during the debates she defended Muslim Americans and then went on to say "We need American Muslims to be part of our eyes and ears on our front lines." She cannot seem to quit while she's rhetorically ahead.
   448. Lassus Posted: September 13, 2017 at 08:30 AM (#5530654)
while critiquing press coverage and expert opinion judiciously.

-spit-take-

Just like in this thread! I'm sure a massively larger bell-curve of people will do so as well as we do.

I mean, sure, the point isn't invalid, but it doesn't seem like reality either.
   449. Heart of Matt Harvey Posted: September 13, 2017 at 08:30 AM (#5530655)
Shes an idiot.
   450. PreservedFish Posted: September 13, 2017 at 08:44 AM (#5530656)
Here's a sentence from Hillary's book:

“If he stood up tomorrow and declared that the Earth is flat, his counselor Kellyanne Conway might just go on Fox News and defend it as an ‘alternative fact,’ and too many people would believe it.”

This would be a below-average comment in this forum.

Of course it's not easy to produce 450 pages of high quality writing in a period of months. But I'd be embarrassed to publish a half-assed book - do you think her publishers were pushing her to go to press ASAP?
   451. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 13, 2017 at 08:53 AM (#5530658)
If he stood up tomorrow and declared that the Earth is flat, his counselor Kellyanne Conway might just go on Fox News and defend it as an ‘alternative fact,’ and too many people would believe it.”

From a literary or stylistic POV, yes,** but unfortunately it's also not much of an exaggeration.

** Below average, that is, if you don't count Ray's and SBB's gross generalizations about their idea of "liberals" or "modern liberals".
   452. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 08:58 AM (#5530659)
do you think her publishers were pushing her to go to press ASAP?
Probably. But do you really think the book would've been better if it were delayed a few months? Based on her track record, the book was probably written by a committee, relying on focus-group-tested themes. So you get banal observations like the one you quoted that would've been hot takes two years ago, and a carefully proportioned mixture of pop culture references to show that she's hip and literature references to show she's educated.
   453. PreservedFish Posted: September 13, 2017 at 08:59 AM (#5530660)
I think that SBB has an attractive writing style, even if he overuses his catchphrases and such.
   454. Greg K Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:01 AM (#5530661)
I think you guys are missing the main problem with Clinton's excerpt.

It demonstrates her total inability to connect with real people. Using the four/five fingers gag from some old book from the 80s no one's read, she should have referenced something a bit more culturally relevant, like Jean-Luc Picard telling the Cardassian "there are four lights!"
   455. DavidFoss Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:01 AM (#5530662)

Like before, it is not even her line. It is a line similar to one Krugman has been using since at least 2000 and has been repeating all the time. I imagine Krugman isn't much more popular than Clinton here, but the point is that it has been a standard left-wing talking point for a couple of decades that the media struggles with the balance between fact-checking and trying to remain unbiased.
   456. BrianBrianson Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:12 AM (#5530665)
But do you really think the book would've been better if it were delayed a few months?

Not a chance - the people still interested in Clinton enough to read her book get more pathetic with each day. The shame of it will even eventually drive Ray out of it.
   457. PreservedFish Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:24 AM (#5530667)
But do you really think the book would've been better if it were delayed a few months?

You might be right.

I guess that if I were in Clinton's position I'd acknowledge that I was done with politics, do away with my committees, and write an honest, careful, heartfelt analysis. Clearly the opposite of what she went for. Although I don't know how committee-based this book was ... committees are slow, and this one seems to have been written in a huff.
   458. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:26 AM (#5530668)
The shame of it will even eventually drive Ray out of it.

From your lips to ....
   459. Heart of Matt Harvey Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:40 AM (#5530675)
The sniping at Sanders, who fired back after excerpts from the book were published last week, has only deepened the trepidation among Democrats wishing Clinton had taken the more typical route, accepting her lumps, not writing the book and retiring to the role of respected, but seldom seen, party elder.

Instead, she will embark on a months-long tour — mixing free book signings and paid appearances — that will stretch into mid-December. Her sole California appearance is scheduled for Oct. 9 in Davis.

Up to $3000 a head. I'm sure her campaign left her with huge debts from which no honest woman could ever recover.

460. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:40 AM (#5530676)
Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. They even started giving away their new OSes for free a couple of years ago, after decades of charging for them, because the only purpose of their OSes is to sell hardware. That doesn't mean that they object to making money off services, of course, but that’s not their primary goal. iCloud exists to sell their hardware.

It's their primary growth goal --

Nobody kills their most profitable goose, but I'm sure anyone that has every worked for a publicly traded company knows that the area providing organic growth is what companies (and investors) chase.

This is more than a year old - but "services" (not just the iCloud, but apple pay, their service programs, and other various bricabrak) jumped to second in Apple's portfolio of products last year; with a 20% jump in revenue growth. It's over 20% again in 2017.

Granted, it's got a ways to go before overtaking hardware -- but it's where the growth is.

iCloud exists because smart companies know that services are the future.

Years ago, "ecosystem" was the buzzword for the big 4.... well, services are the very foundation of a modern technological ecosystem, like it or not*.

*And FTR, I do not... I'm sure part of it is my age - and years of considering my tech "service" began and stopped with just having an ISP. I'm not anti-cloud/anti-Saas... but I strongly dislike the movement towards "inevitable adoption", as I said when I started this side thread -- I very much dislike Apple being hoardy with local storage.
   461. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:50 AM (#5530682)

I had always imagined that a petard was a pike or lance or at least a flagpole, tricked by the word "hoist," and I can't imagine I'm alone in that.

Here!
   462. BDC Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:52 AM (#5530683)
it doesn't seem like reality either

It's not reality. She's expressing an ideal, and I countered with a better one :)
   463. The Good Face Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:53 AM (#5530684)
You realize that it's really weird for you to be so emotionally invested in this, right?

You've confused "emotionally invested in" with "amused by". But one of us seems to be pretty emotionally invested. What was that I said about projection before?

You don't have anything better to do in your life than second-guess what keyboard and mouse a stranger on the internet uses?

You didn't have anything better to do with your life than tell us all about your insistence on using a keyboard/mouse you hate because Mommy and Daddy. It's a discussion forum, people discuss things here. If you don't want people to question your weird behaviors and hangups here, don't bring them up.

you try to bully people

Oh noes, we have a victim!

It's probably really uncomfortable for the other people in the thread to watch you drag your naked insecurities around and shove them right up in their faces like that.

Says the apparently grown man who's still terrified of his parents.
   464. The Good Face Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:55 AM (#5530686)
The problem, as I see it, with assuming that poor people are undeservingly poor is that no matter how you slice and dice it, the system dictates that there have to be poor people. Maybe you can squeeze a little more juice out of the turnip here and there, but the poor, as the most intelligent man in The Bible says, you will always have with you. So, starting with that, now what?

You feed them, cloth them, shelter them, and try to implement policy that doesn't incentivize them to breed.
   465. BDC Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:56 AM (#5530689)
If you don't want people to question your weird behaviors and hangups here, don't bring them up

That reminds me, if there are pencils or pens lying on a desk or a table, I always turn them so they're not pointed at anyone sitting nearby. Is this normal I'll hang up and listen.
   466. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 13, 2017 at 09:57 AM (#5530690)

Hillary's problem was that the only two real times she's attempted to make the 'sexism' case were the two times she sorta needed to fall back on it -- i.e., when 2008 started going against her and then again now.

The problem is that she's damned if she did, damned if she doesn't. I.e., I completely agree with the above in regards to 1992. And of course, running the smart campaign the Clintons did in 1992 - she certainly didn't turn into Gloria Steinem (though Rush and company certainly liked to pretend she did).

Say it's her own fault for being so untrustworthy if you like - but I find it odd that people who find no shortage of ways to say that "just because Trump is a liar doesn't mean he's lying about this" can't extend the same to Hillary... In terms of duplicity, Hillary's a light sprinkle compared to Trump's hurricane.
   467. Lassus Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:00 AM (#5530691)
referring to:
They were a gift from my parents, who thought they were doing something nice, and I'm not going to hurt their feelings.

Seems accurate, for someone committed to science.
   468. BDC Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:08 AM (#5530693)
More weird behavior. Some people hate untranslated stories, but I couldn't find this in English; be warned that there's only French behind this link from Le Monde, which is provided to show I am not making this up:

Six teachers from Gaillac who wanted to save their school's blackboards "from the trash" have been charged with breaking-and-entering and theft.

The scene that played out in and around the school on the 28th of June was worthy of a lousy film. On the last Wednesday of June, tipped off that the blackboards on the second floor – slated for renovations during summer vacation – were going to be replaced by interactive whiteboards, the teachers, along with some family members, took the initiative and dismantled them "for safe storage over the summer," with the idea of reinstalling them in the classrooms in September.
   469. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:13 AM (#5530694)
The problem, as I see it, with assuming that poor people are undeservingly poor is that no matter how you slice and dice it, the system dictates that there have to be poor people.
Only if poverty is defined in relative terms. (Which, of course, is the trick, isn't it?)
   470. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:15 AM (#5530695)
Amid all this talk about Apple and the new iPhone and wireless headsets/charging and whatnot...

I wake up this morning to find my Samsung Galaxy s6 turned on and plugged into its (wired) charger (as I'd left it when I went to bed), but with a totally black screen that will not respond when I touch any buttons. It won't even turn off and of course, one can no longer do a battery pop.

I'm screwed, ain't I?

EDIT: thank God for the cat, whose mewling woke up about 10 minutes after my non-working alarm was set for.
   471. PreservedFish Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:17 AM (#5530696)
Do they have poor people in, like, Luxembourg? And if not, does it count as a society that has eradicated poverty? Or are they still profiting off of the rape of third world natural resources, cheap labor in China and Albania, etc to such an extent that it renders the question ridiculous?
   472. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:19 AM (#5530697)
I'm screwed, ain't I?

I assume Galaxies can do a hard restart like iphones, no? I.e., home + power pressed simultaneously?
   473. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:21 AM (#5530699)
I'm screwed, ain't I?

I assume Galaxies can do a hard restart like iphones, no? I.e., home + power pressed simultaneously?

That sounds like a great idea.

EDIT: Just tried it, and...nope.
   474. BrianBrianson Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:27 AM (#5530701)
FWIW, in Luxembourg one in five citizens lives in "risk of poverty" as <60% of the median income. 8% are listed as "in poverty", as "less than half the median household income".

Which is a bit trickier - you want some level of inequality, as it's a great motivator for people. But too much, and it stops working, as it seems hopeless (and rich people aren't good at spending their money, which is also economically bad).
   475. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:31 AM (#5530702)
Daily News. Hillary actually thinks she received unfair and less favorable media coverage than Trump. She also names the hard right's "dedicated propaganda channels" (Fox, Breitbart, Infowars) without acknowledging that her side not only has them in the form of MSNBC, Vox, Kos, HuffPo, but also in the form of the mainstream media.

This defeat lap is really a sight to behold:

A day before, Clinton complained about media coverage twice during the rounds of interviews for the day her book hit shelves.

In an interview with Pod Save America, a podcast run by former aides for President Barack Obama, she said Democrats were at a “disadvantage” with media coverage.

“I think we face a number of obstacles. The other side has dedicated propaganda channels,” Clinton said, singling out Fox News, Breitbart and InfoWars.

“We did not understand how a reality TV campaign would so dominate the media environment. I think the Democrats can do a lot, but they're still going to face a very difficult media environment. And we've got to figure out how we're going to break through.”

In an interview with Vox, an outlet that strongly championed her candidacy, Clinton said the left does not “control the media the same way the right does.”
   476. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:36 AM (#5530705)
When you think that the New York Times put you at a disadvantage, you have gone full parody mode:

Clinton takes the biggest hit at The New York Times, which endorsed her for President and covered her as a potential candidate more than a year before she launched her campaign.

She calls the paper’s coverage of her campaign “schizophrenic” and blames it for spotlighting the controversies over her private email server and former FBI Director James Comey’s last-minute reopening of the email investigation.

As if they weren't supposed to break/cover a story in which she was in serious legal jeopardy for criminal mishandling of classified information while at State, wherein if her various ever-changing excuses are to be believed she didn't understand what classified information even IS despite being Secretary of State.

This is truly remarkable.
   477. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:38 AM (#5530706)
Do they have poor people in, like, Luxembourg?
FIFY.
   478. BDC Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:41 AM (#5530708)
Only if poverty is defined in relative terms

I can't see how it could be defined any other way. Active want, hunger, or suffering, yes, and there's a lot of those to go around in the world; but feeling rich or poor is always a matter of comparison, and not something you can deflect by telling people how good they already have it. As King Lear says when one of his daughters suggests he doesn't need an entourage:

Oh, reason not the need! Our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing superfluous.
Allow not nature more than nature needs,
Man's life is cheap as beast's. Thou art a lady;
If only to go warm were gorgeous,
Why nature needs not what thou gorgeous wearest,
Which scarcely keeps thee warm.

If Greg K comes by, I would be interested in his take on sumptuary laws, which I have always figured were a way of regulating "what thou gorgeous wearest" in part so that the basest beggars wouldn't feel the comparison quite so keenly (and in turn maybe rise up and do something about it). Though I also think that sumptuary laws were a way of keeping the rising middle classes in their place vis-à-vis the royalty and high nobility who were entitled to gorgeousness. Anyway, Greg would know a lot more.
   479. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:41 AM (#5530709)
Clinton takes the biggest hit at The New York Times, which endorsed her for President and covered her as a potential candidate more than a year before she launched her campaign.

She calls the paper’s coverage of her campaign “schizophrenic” and blames it for spotlighting the controversies over her private email server and former FBI Director James Comey’s last-minute reopening of the email investigation.

As if they weren't supposed to break/cover a story in which she was in serious legal jeopardy for criminal mishandling of classified information while at State, wherein if her various ever-changing excuses are to be believed she didn't understand what classified information even IS despite being Secretary of State.

This is truly remarkable.

I cannot help but agree with Ray, here. Which is also truly remarkable...
   480. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:44 AM (#5530712)
Probably. But do you really think the book would've been better if it were delayed a few months? Based on her track record, the book was probably written by a committee, relying on focus-group-tested themes.

And we know from wikileaks that she had several people taking several emails to work out a single tweet that she signed with "H," which was supposed to be her designated signature for tweets that she wrote herself.

So of course, if entire tweets that she claimed were her own were ghosts-written, this book was ghost written. Nothing about her is real.

And from a quick perusal of the book's listing on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Wiki, there's no evidence of ghost writers. She's listed as the sole author, and her name takes up 1/3 of the cover in the Amazon listing and over 1/2 of the cover on the B&N listing.

In randomly checking one of Bill O'Reilly's silly books -- Killing Lincoln -- even he credited his co-author on the front page.

Trump is narcissistic and a liar and bullshit artist? It's a fair fight between him and Hillary.
   481. PreservedFish Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:44 AM (#5530713)
Yeah. The Times being "schizophrenic" is just an example of it being, gasp, a good newspaper.
   482. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM (#5530715)
Not sure why you're mixing up me and Dan

I'm not. My quote referred to Dan's initial statement; I am also - in my opinion, of course - justifiably doubtful of your interpretation of any text regarding or written by any politician (#442). (You are probably more accurate than Ray, at least.)

Not sure why you're mixing up me and Dan. I didn't analyze the 1984 excerpt.
   483. PreservedFish Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:49 AM (#5530716)
Trump is narcissistic and a liar and bullshit artist? It's a fair fight between him and Hillary.

No, it isn't.
   484. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM (#5530717)

Not a chance - the people still interested in Clinton enough to read her book get more pathetic with each day. The shame of it will even eventually drive Ray out of it.

First, I haven't read her book and don't plan to. I confess that the chance to read one of the best comedies of all time does appeal to me.

This is reality comedy.

Second, how your reply relates to what you're replying to I have no idea; it seems to be a complete non sequitur.

485. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:53 AM (#5530719)
Third, obviously people on the left don't want to talk about Hillary anymore, because the very thought of her reminds them and everyone around them of the specter of them totally mis-analyzing and misunderstanding the 2016 election and Hillary's quality as a candidate, particularly relative to Trump -- despite these same people having self-proclaimed themselves as experts on all things presidential elections. That lame attack on those speaking about her may have had some minimal effect earlier; but now that she's embarked on a defeat tour the notion that people are only talking about her to gloat is ludicrous.
   486. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM (#5530721)
Hillary actually thinks she received unfair and less favorable media coverage than Trump.

How many murders and child sex rings was Trump linked to in the media?
   487. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM (#5530722)
Though I also think that sumptuary laws were a way of keeping the rising middle classes in their place vis-à-vis the royalty and high nobility who were entitled to gorgeousness.
That was part of it, but I believe they were also motivated by mercantilist concerns about balance of trade.
   488. BrianBrianson Posted: September 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM (#5530723)
First, I haven't read her book and don't plan to. I confess that the chance to read one of the best comedies of all time does appeal to me.

Given that you can't stop thinking about it, it'd be healthy for you to read it, maybe get it out of your system. No losing candidate has been of this much interest this far out since ... well, I'm only in my thirties, so obviously I don't recall one. Cleveland, maybe?
   489. Greg K Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:02 AM (#5530725)
I once saw two guys who looked pretty poor fighting on the hood of my family's rental car in a Luxembourg parking lot at 6am. When they saw us coming they apologized and walked off together.

Not sure if that counts.
   490. Lassus Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:04 AM (#5530727)
I cannot help but agree with Ray, here.

This should prompt you to re-examine your position. (Note: I didn't say "change".)
   491. Greg K Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:05 AM (#5530728)
Third, obviously people on the left don't want to talk about Hillary anymore, because the very thought of her reminds them and everyone around them of the specter of them totally mis-analyzing and misunderstanding the 2016 election and Hillary's quality as a candidate, particularly relative to Trump -- despite these same people having self-proclaimed themselves as experts on all things presidential elections.

Speaking of projecting...isn't the much simpler explanation that Democrats don't want to talk about Clinton because she lost, and no one likes a loser?

The entire point of this thread seems to be never, ever, ever say anything bad about your side. Since there's not much good to say about Clinton now, it only stands to reason Democrats would like to talk about anything else.
   492. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:05 AM (#5530729)
What was that I said about projection before?

You mean the bit where you were projecting to cover for your underlying insecurities? And then disappeared for twelve hours to lick your wounds, like you always do when someone challenges you?

If you don't want people to question your weird behaviors and hangups here, don't bring them up.

Physician, heal thyself.

Seriously. If you stop trying to live life like an endless series of archaic dominance rituals, you'll probably be a lot happier. There are people out there somewhere who will like you for who you are - you don't always need to try and jump on someone else to prove you're the toughest little mutt in the kennel. Make yourself into a person that you're happy being, and the rest will fall into place.

There's a difference between terrified and being respectful, though I can certainly understand how you in particular might be confused by that distinction.
   493. Lassus Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:05 AM (#5530730)
I once saw two guys who looked pretty poor fighting on the hood of my family's rental car in a Luxembourg parking lot at 6am. When they saw us coming they apologized and walked off together.

"Fighting", eh, Greg? I'm sure that was it. How old were you when you witnessed this?
   494. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:08 AM (#5530731)
The problem, as I see it, with assuming that poor people are undeservingly poor is that no matter how you slice and dice it, the system dictates that there have to be poor people.

Only if poverty is defined in relative terms. (Which, of course, is the trick, isn't it?)

It is.

And of course people who are "living in poverty" have smartphones, which does show the problem with the definition. Here in NYC the municipality installed charging stations on a number of the streets. Who uses them? Young able bodied and yet paradoxically homeless men with black jeans and leather jackets and overzealous facial hair charging their smartphones. It's not working people who need to get a few extra zaps in on their way to work. Like moths to a flame the immediate areas surrounding the charging stations are populated with these vagrants with their leather and backpacks and mangy dogs (*) and packages of junk food littering their areas.

This category of homeless men isn't the typical mentally ill variety. (Indeed, young women are now appearing on the streets in alarming numbers.)

I haven't looked but I imagine the main driver of the charging stations was to facilitate homelessness. Because to a left wing administration homeless people who are able bodied and not mentally ill are our heroes, you see, and we should do everything we can to see that they remain homeless.

(*) Those poor dogs.... See? I do have sympathy for pets. To be a pet is to be held hostage by an owner not of your choosing.
   495. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:10 AM (#5530732)
Third, obviously people on the left don't want to talk about Hillary anymore, because the very thought of her reminds them and everyone around them of the specter of them totally mis-analyzing and misunderstanding the 2016 election and Hillary's quality as a candidate, particularly relative to Trump -- despite these same people having self-proclaimed themselves as experts on all things presidential elections. That lame attack on those speaking about her may have had some minimal effect earlier; but now that she's embarked on a defeat tour the notion that people are only talking about her to gloat is ludicrous.

DRINK!
   496. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:10 AM (#5530733)
Speaking of projecting...isn't the much simpler explanation that Democrats don't want to talk about Clinton because she lost, and no one likes a loser?

To be fair, a lot of us didn't like her all that much before she lost, either.
   497. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM (#5530734)
It is.

And of course people who are "living in poverty" have smartphones, which does show the problem with the definition. Here in NYC the municipality installed charging stations on a number of the streets. Who uses them? Young able bodied and yet paradoxically homeless men with black jeans and leather jackets and overzealous facial hair charging their smartphones. It's not working people who need to get a few extra zaps in on their way to work. Like moths to a flame the immediate areas surrounding the charging stations are populated with these vagrants with their leather and backpacks and mangy dogs (*) and packages of junk food littering their areas.

This category of homeless men isn't the typical mentally ill variety. (Indeed, young women are now appearing on the streets in alarming numbers.)

I haven't looked but I imagine the main driver of the charging stations was to facilitate homelessness. Because to a left wing administration homeless people who are able bodied and not mentally ill are our heroes, you see, and we should do everything we can to see that they remain homeless.

(*) Those poor dogs.... See? I do have sympathy for pets. To be a pet is to be held hostage by an owner not of your choosing.

So have you started the $12,060 challenge yet?
   498. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM (#5530735)
I haven't looked but I imagine the main driver of the charging stations was to facilitate homelessness.

That's the bit that gave the game away, Ray. Up until then, it was a decent little attempt at a troll.
   499. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:13 AM (#5530736)
How many murders and child sex rings was Trump linked to in the media?

Pee tapes!
   500. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 13, 2017 at 11:13 AM (#5530737)
Third, obviously people on the left don't want to talk about Hillary anymore, because....

It has been ten months and there is not much left to say. Losing candidates are in general not very interesting. Goldwater was, I guess, because he became the patron saint of the GOP a cycle or two after he lost. Maybe Al Gore because of what he did after losing. But even in those instances it is more about what came after the candidate lost and not endless rehashing of the election.

I mean I get why you want to endlessly talk about it, but it just isn't interesting to most of us. I mean if you find a new angle, something else to say maybe. But your posts on the subject are pretty much all the same. We could whip up a script to auto-generate them at this point.

I mean hey, you get to post what you want, and be interested in what you want. And people are still responding, so win for you, but I find it roughly as interesting as most Republicans (and well most everyone I guess) found analysis of what Romney was doing in September of 2013, co-mingled with rehash of the 2012 election.
Page 5 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.