Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, February 12, 2018

OTP 12 February 2018: Jeff Samardzija explains why politics and baseball rarely mix

However, there were several curveballs that forced Giants’ players to think outside the box, including one from a fan who asked a trio that included catcher Buster Posey, reliever Cory Gearrin and starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija whether they think baseball players should have a role in voicing their political opinions like football and basketball players have in recent years.

The question temporarily stumped Gearrin and Posey, so as his teammates waited, Samardzija decided to jump in and share his perspective.

“I don’t think so, not necessarily because we’re here to entertain you guys. Every time we step on the field, it’s important,” Samardzija said, before pausing temporarily while a loud round of applause petered out.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 12, 2018 at 07:41 AM | 2005 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics, san francisco giants, spring training

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 19 of 21 pages ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 21 > 
   1801. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 18, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5626700)
Actually Rosenstein's comment, as you interpreted it, has already been contradicted. One American, Richard Pinedo, was most definitely involved with Russian trolling activities.

Pinedo was involved in identity theft or fraud, and sold the Russians info that allowed them pose as Americans and evade various security measures, but there is no indication he knew or cared who he sold to. In no way does his plea contradict Rosenstein's statement, although Greenback's claim that it does only reinforces the point that he is completely misinterpreting Rosenstein.
   1802. greenback slays lewks Posted: February 18, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5626702)
Greenback: Sam Smith is in big trouble.

Putting words into my mouth is a cheap means of moving the goal posts. If your little goal is to score point on the Internet, then mark some up on the chalkboard. I don't give a ####.

Again, one American has already plead guilty to his role in the Russian trolling operation, and he was not mentioned in the indictment on Friday. That is to say, an omission from an indictment is not meaningful. And again, while my best guess is that Russia is a nothingburger, these shoddy protests make me wonder what unstated fears lurk in your heart.

ETA: Pinedo's role does NOT contradict Rosenstein's statement. Rather it contradicts your assertion that no American is involved in the unlawful activity. You have legal training and sufficient rhetorical skill to understand the difference. Count your ####### marks on the chalk board. I don't care.
   1803. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 18, 2018 at 07:37 PM (#5626705)
Over in Pennsylvania, the Senate Republicans abandoned their "the ruling against our unconstitutional districting is itself unconstitutional!" fight against the state's Supreme Court. Republicans grudgingly submitted a new and improved district map, as ordered. But not new enough, and not improved enough, because Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf vetoed it.

Wolf (a Democrat) has since submitted his own revised map to the Supreme Court, so that they'd have one to consider. The Court has explicitly said that a new Congressional map will be in place in time for the 2018 elections, and that the Court itself will design that map if the legislature proves reluctant or incapable of doing so to the Court's standards.

However the de-gerrymandered map turns out, Pennsylvania (and thus the GOP-controlled House) are about to kiss four red-gilded seats goodbye, maybe five, based solely on the redistricting correction. That common estimate doesn't count any electoral trends in 2017-18 that may extend into the midterms.

It also doesn't count the endangered special election PA-18 seat that's being decided in 3½ weeks, which the GOP consistently won by roughly a 30% margin until the Democrats quit contesting the race in the last two cycles. But the latest polling shows the Republican candidate holding a 3% lead. Looks like Curt Schilling's 19th- and 20th-favorite strippers, Enthusiasm and Turnout, will decide this one.
   1804. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 18, 2018 at 07:52 PM (#5626707)
But the latest polling shows the Republican candidate holding a 3% lead.

The latest poll has the GOP candidate ahead by 6%.
   1805. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 18, 2018 at 08:01 PM (#5626710)
Wow, Saccone doubled his lead in 24 hours. And from the pollster who just had Roy Moore winning by 4% on the eve of the Alabama election.

At a 3% pickup per day, Saccone will win by about 54%. Well worth the millions and millions of dollars and fly-ins Republicans are flooding into the district, to cling to their own blood-red seat for 9 months.
   1806. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: February 18, 2018 at 08:01 PM (#5626711)
Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1

Rick Gates will plead guilty to fraud-related charges within days and has made clear to prosecutors that he would testify against Paul Manafort, people familiar with the case tell LA Times.

Ted Lieu‏Verified account @tedlieu

Ted Lieu Retweeted Kyle Griffin

If true, this means former Trump Deputy Campaign Manager Rick Gates is going to flip. Special Counsel Mueller will now have at least three cooperating witnesses. Bannon may have cooperated as well.

I believe it's only a matter of time before Manafort flips on @realDonaldTrump.
   1807. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 18, 2018 at 08:14 PM (#5626714)
PA-18 House race results since 2000-- the Republican has won eight times running:

2016: 100% to 0%
2014: 100% to 0%
2012: 64% to 36%
2010: 67% to 33%
2008: 64% to 36%
2006: 58% to 42%
2004: 63% to 37%
2002: 60% to 40%
[2001: Pennsylvania's map was redistricted]
2000: The Democrat won, 69% to 31%

How low would the winning margin for the GOP candidate need to fall next month, to be considered a troubling sign for Republicans looking forward to November?
   1808. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 18, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5626716)
Quoted in #1806:
If true, this means former Trump Deputy Campaign Manager Rick Gates is going to flip. Special Counsel Mueller will now have at least three cooperating witnesses. Bannon may have cooperated as well.
I believe it's only a matter of time before Manafort flips on @realDonaldTrump.

Yes, but how likely is it that Paul Manafort could have been any kind of campaign back channel to Russia? Has there ever been any evidence that Trump's Twitter tell is a reflection of the good or bad news he's just received? And how can anyone know whether the 68-year-old Manafort prefers not to die in prison? So let's not make too much of this.
   1809. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: February 18, 2018 at 08:50 PM (#5626720)
Yeah, I trust Ted Lieu's instincts...and it's probably more than instinct... over the Dancing Monkey contingent's speculations.
   1810. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 18, 2018 at 08:57 PM (#5626722)
Bill Clinton's pollster doesn't think the Democrats have a winning hand on immigration, but this nugget on the Generic Congressional Ballot may be more interesting than the rest of the article:
The latest ABC News/Washington Post poll also finds that the advantage Democrats hold in the generic congressional vote comes almost entirely from districts the party already holds. Indeed, the Democrats hold a lead by a strong 38 points in their own districts, yet trail Republicans by six points in the very districts they need to flip in order to regain the House.

More at link.
   1811. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 18, 2018 at 09:02 PM (#5626723)
I won't believe the Democrats will win more than 15 House seats until five days after it's happened. But they do have a comprehensive monopoly on all the indicators.
   1812. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 18, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5626726)
Putters at half-mast, according to the Hill:
President Trump reportedly skipped a day at the golf course on Saturday following the Florida school shooting that took place just miles from his Mar-a-Lago resort.
White House aides told Bloomberg that the decision not to golf was a show of respect for the victims and grieving families of the school shooting in Florida.

But life is for the living:
Trump Joins Mar-a-Lago Disco Party After Visiting Survivors Of School Shooting

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump attended a party at Mar-a-Lago on Friday just hours after visiting first responders and wounded survivors of the Parkland, Florida, school shooting that killed 17 people. The event was a Studio 54-themed disco party, according to CNN’s Kevin Liptak.

...“Please take note that the President did NOT dance,” Instagram user Sean Bianca wrote before the photo was removed later Saturday and her Instagram account was switched to private. “He and the First Lady were there for a short time but neither was dancing around as one should have expected. Their mood was somber and they were there for a very short time.”
   1813. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 18, 2018 at 09:35 PM (#5626728)
1812 is a cheap shot. Trump is awful, yes. But there's nothing wrong with him going to a party (even if he did more than stop by the party, as the last paragraph you quote claims) a few days after a tragedy that he had nothing to do with. 300,000,000 Americans didn't shut down their personal lives because people that they didn't know were killed.
   1814. Lassus Posted: February 18, 2018 at 09:44 PM (#5626730)
300,000,000 Americans didn't shut down their personal lives because people that they didn't know were killed.

A cheaper defense. I'd imagine a few more adults than normal within a five-mile radius of the TOTALLY COMMON, POLICY-IRRELEVANT bloodbath may have stopped their disco partying for a week or so.
   1815. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 18, 2018 at 09:45 PM (#5626731)
300,000,000 Americans didn't shut down their personal lives because people that they didn't know were killed.

Smart comparison.
   1816. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 18, 2018 at 09:53 PM (#5626732)

I'd imagine a few more adults than normal within a five-mile radius of the TOTALLY COMMON, POLICY-IRRELEVANT bloodbath may have stopped their disco partying for a week or so.
I guess it's lucky that Mar-a-Lago is 40 miles away, then.
   1817. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: February 18, 2018 at 09:58 PM (#5626734)
1812 is a cheap shot.

There are no cheap shots on Trump.
   1818. Ray (CTL) Posted: February 18, 2018 at 10:35 PM (#5626739)
1812 is a cheap shot.

People with TDS such as Gonfalon mix expensive shots in with cheap shots because they can't tell the difference or have descended into such hacks that they don't care. I suppose you being able to see this is another sign that your own TDS might be beginning to clear, so there may be hope for you yet. Not that I would bet that way.
   1819. Lassus Posted: February 18, 2018 at 10:37 PM (#5626740)
I guess it's lucky that Mar-a-Lago is 40 miles away, then.

Tsk. I obviously took "miles" to mean fewer than it was, that's on me for not checking. That doesn't make your THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE point less stupid.
   1820. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: February 18, 2018 at 10:41 PM (#5626742)
Bill Clinton's pollster doesn't think the Democrats have a winning hand on immigration, but this nugget on the Generic Congressional Ballot may be more interesting than the rest of the article:

That article has a link to the Post poll that it cites, and here's what that poll says:

Democrats lead by 14 points among likely voters in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll, a result reported previously. But that reflects a vast 38-point Democratic lead in districts already held by Democratic members of Congress. In districts the Republican Party holds, by contrast, it’s a tight 45-51 percent Democratic vs. Republican contest.

The Democrats' lead in their districts, 64-26 percent, marks the extent of potential Democratic overvoting in areas where they’re already in control – which partly reflects a Democratic concentration in urban areas, and possibly also gerrymandering of district lines.

At the same time, the closeness of the races in Republican districts indicates Democratic pickup opportunities. And another result points to an enthusiasm gap in the Democrats’ favor: They lead very widely among those who say it’s especially important to vote this year. ...

Democrats, as noted, have urgency on their side. Half of likely voters say voting this year is more important to them than in previous midterm elections – and they split by a wide 65-29 percent for the Democrat over the Republican in their districts.

Among those who say voting this year is no more important than in the past, it’s a closer 42-51 percent contest. And within the parties, Democrats are much more likely than Republicans to say voting is more important this year, 64 vs. 40 percent. ...

And calling Doug Schoen "Bill Clinton's pollster", while it may be true, is somewhat misleading, given how he announced a week before the 2016 election that he couldn't vote for Hillary Clinton, because---and you have to love the irony---"I am now convinced that we will be facing the very real possibility of a constitutional crisis with many dimensions and deleterious consequences should Secretary Clinton win the election...."

And it gets better. Again, this is "Bill Clinton's pollster":
We have seen that a hyper-partisan, gridlocked Washington is bad for the country. There is no reason to believe that Clinton’s tenure will be anything but more of the same in this way and, most likely, a lot worse.

Further, Russian President Vladimir Putin said (tongue-in-cheek) that we are not a banana republic.‎ I greatly fear we could become one if Secretary Clinton is elected president. Our national security will continue to be jeopardized by ongoing investigations by the FBI, and potentially the Justice Department and Congress, putting us at immediate risk of more assertive actions in Europe, Middle East and Asia by the Russians and Chinese.

Moreover, we simply cannot face a situation where the president elect may need or want a pardon from the president to govern. Or worse yet, need to pardon herself after she takes office.

I wonder what he's now saying about Donald Trump's current situation.
   1821. Ray (CTL) Posted: February 18, 2018 at 11:09 PM (#5626746)
And it gets better. Again, this is "Bill Clinton's pollster":

We have seen that a hyper-partisan, gridlocked Washington is bad for the country. There is no reason to believe that Clinton’s tenure will be anything but more of the same in this way and, most likely, a lot worse.

All politicians bizarrely think gridlock is bad.

But Trump at least got a tax bill done.

Anyway, everything Schoen said about Hillary (not sure why you're putting "pollster" in scare quotes -- because he didn't pinky swear to defend the Clintons forevermore come hell or server scandal?) was reasonable.
   1822. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 18, 2018 at 11:19 PM (#5626747)
Shorter #1820: Everything in the brief excerpt quoted in #1810 is correct, but it comes from an insufficiently partisan Democrat.
   1823. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 18, 2018 at 11:33 PM (#5626748)
Ray, #1818:
People with TDS such as Gonfalon mix expensive shots in with cheap shots because they can't tell the difference or have descended into such hacks that they don't care. I suppose you being able to see this is another sign that your own TDS might be beginning to clear, so there may be hope for you yet. Not that I would bet that way.

Poor Ray, the last rational man. Forever surrounded by hordes of lesser men like the valiant hero of a 1970s kung fu movie.

“Please take note that the President did NOT dance,” Instagram user Sean Bianca wrote before the photo was removed later Saturday and her Instagram account was switched to private. “He and the First Lady were there for a short time but neither was dancing around as one should have expected. Their mood was somber and they were there for a very short time.”
In this time of national grief, we can be proud that our President and First Lady conducted themselves at the disco party with the appropriate solemnity.
   1824. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: February 18, 2018 at 11:40 PM (#5626749)
an insufficiently partisan Democrat.

Yes, I'd say that a self-described Democrat who voted like JE and Ray in 2016 might fairly earn that description.
   1825. Ray (CTL) Posted: February 18, 2018 at 11:49 PM (#5626751)
Apparently Schoen's crime is that he actually had a conscience.

And thus was able to see Hillary Clinton for who she was.

He didn't just color by number.

For which he has earned Andy's dreaded scare quotes.
   1826. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 18, 2018 at 11:53 PM (#5626753)
. . . an insufficiently partisan Democrat.

Yes, I'd say that a self-described Democrat who voted like JE and Ray in 2016 might fairly earn that description.

WTF does Schoen's Democratic bond fides have to do with his totally accurate observation about that Generic Congressional Ballot poll, which I excerpted in #1810? You went to all the trouble (in #1820) of quoting 5 paragraphs of the original poll article, which said exactly what the brief excerpt noted. Then you wasted even more precious Internet bandwidth to let the world know that you believe Schoen is no longer a Democrat in good standing. Again, the poll indicated that Dems edge comes from doing even better in Districts they already hold, they still trail in Districts they don't hold. You, Hillary & the Odious Sidney Blumenthal (a/k/a "The Troika") may all hate Schoen's guts, but nothing you raised has anything to do with what he said about the WaPo Poll.
   1827. tshipman Posted: February 19, 2018 at 12:02 AM (#5626754)

Again this is the same type of thinking that led Trump supporters to believe that Podesta and Hillary were running a child sex ring out of a pizza place. You see some dots and "connect" them in your mind and -- voila.
   1828. tshipman Posted: February 19, 2018 at 12:12 AM (#5626755)
WTF does Schoen's Democratic bond fides have to do with his totally accurate observation about that Generic Congressional Ballot poll, which I excerpted in #1810? You went to all the trouble (in #1820) of quoting 5 paragraphs of the original poll article, which said exactly what the brief excerpt noted. Then you wasted even more precious Internet bandwidth to let the world know that you believe Schoen is no longer a Democrat in good standing. Again, the poll indicated that Dems edge comes from doing even better in Districts they already hold, they still trail in Districts they don't hold. You, Hillary & the Odious Sidney Blumenthal (a/k/a "The Troika") may all hate Schoen's guts, but nothing you raised has anything to do with what he said about the WaPo Poll.

Someone over-interpreting the results of one particular poll of the GCB is probably doing so in furtherance of an agenda. And guess what? he has an agenda--D's should take the president's immigration deal as is with no negotiation.

So you take someone who is doing bad analysis (looking at crosstabs just one poll of the GCB and coming to conclusions), with a proposed solution that aligns to partisan aims, is it any surprise that people look at why this person is making the argument?

He's not an honest broker, and neither are you. Both of you are people pushing an agenda, which is why people are giving you pushback.
   1829. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 19, 2018 at 12:31 AM (#5626756)
Someone over-interpreting the results of one particular poll of the GCB is probably doing so in furtherance of an agenda. And guess what? he has an agenda--D's should take the president's immigration deal as is with no negotiation.
. . .
He's not an honest broker, and neither are you. Both of you are people pushing an agenda, which is why people are giving you pushback.

Who's kidding who here? "Agenda-Free" Andy & now tshipman refuse to address the substance of that poll, and merely attack a writer who did nothing but accurately quote the poll finding, and now me, who did the same. If that poll is an outlier, it's because it's much more favorable (+14) for the Democrats than the current RCP Poll Average (+6.9%). What makes it especially interesting though isn't the top line number, but the finding that all that lead comes from increased margins in Districts the Dems already hold; they are down 6% in GOP-held Districts. Rather than address that finding, you guys cover your eyes and pretend it doesn't exist. LoL.
   1830. tshipman Posted: February 19, 2018 at 12:39 AM (#5626757)
What makes it especially interesting though isn't the top line number, but the finding that all that lead comes from increased margins in Districts the Dems already hold; they are down 6% in GOP-held Districts. Rather than address that finding, you guys cover your eyes and pretend it doesn't exist. LoL.

There's nothing to address--it's one poll.

If you're citing the crosstabs (so less than 500 people) of one poll, and trying to make some kind of point, you should do the research. The political science journals await!
   1831. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 19, 2018 at 12:40 AM (#5626758)
Wouldn't the generic ballot have ever been thus, if you had broken it into pieces? Disproportionately stronger for Party X in the areas that are X-ier? And weaker wherever Y's fill most of the seats? That's an observation for which it's very likely the word "duh" was invented. It's why they use an average.

And yet, 538.com has analyzed 72 years' worth of the un-deconstructed generic ballot. They determined it to be one of the single strongest correlative bits of polling there is, missing the actual election results by an average of just 2 points across seven decades of varied political playing fields.

538 contextualizes the generic ballot for incumbency and other particulars of the moment. The reason why: the GOP won the 2014 House vote by a little less than 6%, and picked up 13 seats; in 2010, they'd gotten an additional 1% and picked up 63. It doesn't look like their assessment accounts for Massachusetts metadata vs. Oklahoma's.

Of course, given the 3:1 difference in pure retirements, the clout of GOP incumbency has taken a little shrapnel.

For this upcoming election, 538 is forecasting that Democrats will need to win the popular vote by a margin of 5 to 8 points to have an even chance of winning the House. Obviously, the generic ballot is the advance estimate of that. A 5%-8% margin (or better) has occurred in 13 out of the last 20 House elections. The RCP average for Midterm 2018 is there right now.
   1832. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 19, 2018 at 12:48 AM (#5626759)
Ray vs. Ray, as quoted by tshipman, #1827:
Again this is the same type of thinking that led Trump supporters to believe that Podesta and Hillary were running a child sex ring out of a pizza place. You see some dots and "connect" them in your mind and -- voila.

Only a hackish mind wracked with derangement would cruelly juxtapose Ray's two dots like that.
   1833. tshipman Posted: February 19, 2018 at 01:02 AM (#5626760)
Wouldn't the generic ballot have ever been thus, if you had broken it into pieces? Disproportionately stronger for Party X in the areas that are X-ier? And weaker wherever Y's fill most of the seats? That's an observation for which it's very likely the word "duh" was invented. It's why they use an average.

Most GCBs don't track that crosstab (because it's not very significant).

Most people don't actually know who their rep is, and if they do know the rep, often are unfamiliar with their party affiliation. Since the survey relies on user reporting, what you get is unreliable data that mostly shows enthusiasm.
   1834. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 19, 2018 at 01:21 AM (#5626762)
To here some here tell it, the key to the Democrats taking the House will be running up their margin in Districts they already hold. That's almost as good as their Verdun strategy of spending $40M on a special election to force the GOP to spend $30M.
   1835. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: February 19, 2018 at 06:29 AM (#5626765)
You, Hillary & the Odious Sidney Blumenthal (a/k/a "The Troika")

Hey, don't forget zonk. He's the leader of our crowd.

But it's obvious we're no match for You, the non-despicable Donald Trump,** and the harmless Vladimir Putin. Now that's a truly formidable Alliance of Obfuscation.

** Just ask JE, but keep him sober, or his conscience might kick in and he might start spilling.

1836. Greg K Posted: February 19, 2018 at 07:07 AM (#5626767)
1812 is a cheap shot.

Glad you Yanks can finally admit that. Trying to take advantage of the British being distracted by Napoleon. Shameful.
   1837. . Posted: February 19, 2018 at 07:34 AM (#5626768)
I will just point out once again that one of the few pieces of irrefutable evidence we have is that the Russian government told Trump's son that they supported Trump and were working to help him win, and asked for a meeting to further that.

No, this is a lie. No one in the "Russian government told Trump's son" any such thing -- or anything for that matter. The email string shows that some holder of a non-existent office in Russia allegedly told someone who told someone else who told Trump's son that.

And this one-off imaginary episode that amounted to no "dirt" actually being transferred is quite rich given the dossier, and its numerous contacts with the Russian government (who almost certainly as part of its disinformation campaign fed Steele a bunch of nonsense -- assuming Steele even actually heard the things he says he heard.) One candidate, and one candidate only, sought out Russian info on the opposing candidate and relentlessly peddled it to the government and media, for the purpose of influencing the election.
   1838. . Posted: February 19, 2018 at 07:36 AM (#5626769)

Given his complete misrepresentation I noted in 1837, don't bet that way.
   1839. DavidFoss Posted: February 19, 2018 at 08:06 AM (#5626772)
One candidate, and one candidate only, sought out Russian info on the opposing candidate and relentlessly peddled it to the government and media, for the purpose of influencing the election.

You really are living in another world. Many of us are old enough to remember 2016 with the daily wikileaks dumps flooding every news cycle. I didn't hear about the dossier until after the election despite watching left-leaning cable news and comedy shows daily (I was out of work at the time).
   1840. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 19, 2018 at 08:07 AM (#5626773)
I have submitted a new thread. In the mean time enjoy the cool musical stylings of Stretchy and his Clapper Band!
   1841. manchestermets Posted: February 19, 2018 at 08:16 AM (#5626774)
1812 is a cheap shot. Trump is awful, yes. But there's nothing wrong with him going to a party (even if he did more than stop by the party, as the last paragraph you quote claims) a few days after a tragedy that he had nothing to do with.

Alone, perhaps, in the context of ostentatiously not playing golf as 'a show of respect', less so.
   1842. Lassus Posted: February 19, 2018 at 08:22 AM (#5626775)
...what you get is unreliable data that mostly shows enthusiasm.
   1843. . Posted: February 19, 2018 at 08:27 AM (#5626777)
You really are living in another world. Many of us are old enough to remember 2016 with the daily wikileaks dumps flooding every news cycle. I didn't hear about the dossier until after the election despite watching left-leaning cable news and comedy shows daily (I was out of work at the time).

How does this disprove anything I said? Yes, wikileaks dumped the DNC emails, but Trump didn't have anything to do with that.(*) And yeah we heard about the dossier late, but now that we've heard about it, it demonstrates exactly what I said.

As to "living in another world," yeah -- of course. I live in the world of objectivity, centrism, and facts and in that world what I said is accurate. There's a TDS echo chamber world and in that world it's not. It's no surprise at this late date that the various factions occupy parallel universes.

(*) Trump's debate comment -- clearly a joke, but whatever -- wasn't about the wikileaks emails; it was about Russia finding the 30,000-odd emails Hillary cleansed from the rogue server.
   1844. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 19, 2018 at 08:47 AM (#5626782)
It is fascinating watch the little Trumpkins continue on with their master's line "No puppet. No puppet. You're the puppet."
   1845. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 19, 2018 at 08:52 AM (#5626783)
As to "living in another world," yeah -- of course. I live in the world of objectivity, centrism, and facts

Pretty tough break that you aren't a real lawyer in any of those worlds.
   1846. DavidFoss Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:00 AM (#5626787)
As to "living in another world," yeah -- of course. I live in the world of objectivity, centrism, and facts and in that world what I said is accurate. There's a TDS echo chamber world and in that world it's not. It's no surprise at this late date that the various factions occupy parallel universes.

"objectivity, centrism, and facts" made me smile.

The Clinton campaign was focusing on character. The Access Hollywood tape and the follow-up accusers. The whole Alicia Machado thing. They were focused on temperament. Should this man have the nuclear codes? That type of thing. The idea that they needed some cryptic reference to a pee tape in a dossier is silly when we were hearing 'grab 'em by the p-word' in Trump's own voice in a loop all day in October.

But the Russians were colluding with Hillary, so that Trump might look bad after he won?

It's like blaming the Colts for Deflategate because they wanted to make Brady & the Pats look bad.

1847. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5626790)
Apologies (and a Coke Zero Sugar) in advance if one of the righties here posted his already but...

Check out this graph and then the embedded tweet:
Blue lines = prices subject to free market forces
Red lines = prices subject to regulatory capture by government
*food and drink is debatable either way
Conclusion: remind me why socialism is so great again
Sometimes I wonder why zonkie didn't flee to Venezuela instead...
   1848. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:31 AM (#5626791)
Kudos to Jonathan Swan for this amazin' scoop...
On Thursday Nov. 9, when President Trump and his team visited Beijing's Great Hall of the People, Chief of Staff John Kelly and a U.S. Secret Service agent skirmished with Chinese security officials over the nuclear football.

I've spoken to five sources familiar with the events. Here's what happened, as they describe it:

When the U.S. military aide carrying the nuclear football entered the Great Hall, Chinese security officials blocked his entry. (The official who carries the nuclear football is supposed to stay close to the president at all times, along with a doctor.)
A U.S. official hurried into the adjoining room and told Kelly what was happening. Kelly rushed over and told the U.S. officials to keep walking — "We're moving in," he said — and the Americans all started moving.
Then there was a commotion. A Chinese security official grabbed Kelly, and Kelly shoved the man’s hand off of his body. Then a U.S. Secret Service agent grabbed the Chinese security official and tackled him to the ground.
   1849. . Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:33 AM (#5626792)
But the Russians were colluding with Hillary, so that Trump might look bad after he won?

Hillary was colluding with the Russians for the purposes of winning the election..
   1850. BDC Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:39 AM (#5626794)

To speak only to college tuition, the main reason it has skyrocketed in the past 20 years is that states have sharply withdrawn support for higher education. (In-state tuition has gone up eightfold in Texas over that span, and state support has been cut a corresponding amount.) So you could draw the reverse conclusion: take socialism away from certain fields, introduce market forces, and of course consumers pay more – particularly in fields like education, which are irreducibly labor-intensive.

As a thought experiment, imagine that governments withdrew support for primary and secondary education. The cost of sending your kids to school would jump abruptly from free* to steep, and just keep getting steeper. If you could afford it, you'd pay it, and if not, you'd borrow or go without. Now of course, you'd get a tax cut; but there is no way in hell the market would deliver pre-college education at lower cost to consumers than socialism does now.

* Obligatory pedantry inoculation: sc. "tuition-free."
   1851. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5626795)
Some of you must really believe history began a year ago...

Why Obama didn’t cancel fundraising despite tragic Charleston shooting
:
SAN FRANCISCO — President Obama’s motorcade, 20 vehicles deep, wound through the Highland Park neighborhood Friday in Southern California and stopped at the crest of a small hill. Only the president’s custom black sport-utility vehicle continued, veering up a steeper street until it disappeared.

Somewhere out of the view of reporters, Obama got out and entered a makeshift recording studio in the garage of Marc Maron, host of a popular podcast.

WTF?

That is actually the name of Maron’s show . But it was as good a question as any to ask about why Obama was there to begin with. In Charleston, S.C., community leaders were searching for answers about a shooting that killed nine black Americans at a church two nights earlier. In Highland Park, the leader of the free world was sitting down for an hour-long chat with a comic who describes himself as an “Iggy Pop Woody Allen.”

Down the hill, a crowd had gathered near the president’s entourage, and a man dressed as a clown was juggling bowling pins.
   1852. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:45 AM (#5626796)
To speak only to college tuition, the main reason it has skyrocketed in the past 20 years is that states have sharply withdrawn support for higher education.
I don't recall that happening 20 years ago. Do you have a link showing that in the late 90s most states drastically reduced spending on higher education?
   1853. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:49 AM (#5626798)
I guess this is one way to support Trump, by making him look better in comparison. Netanyahu in deeper peril as more Israeli officials are arrested on corruption charges

Less than one week after Israeli police recommended that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu be indicted on several corruption charges, a new legal minefield has opened up beneath his feet.

Seven Israelis were arrested on Sunday in what the police call "Case 4000," a new investigation in which members of Netanyahu's innermost circle are suspected of intervening with regulators to help the Bezeq group, an Israeli communications giant then run by a close friend of the prime minister, in exchange for favorable coverage of Netanyahu and his wife, Sara, on a news portal owned by the company.

And of course ...

As he departed from Munich, Netanyahu refused to answer questions from Israeli reporters about the criminal investigations that surround him.

Israelis, however, appear to be asking the same questions. Three polls published before the weekend show many Israelis believe the police version of events rather than that of Netanyahu, who claims he is the victim of a political witch hunt.

A poll that aired on television channel Reshet said 49% of Hebrew-speaking Israelis believe Netanyahu acted improperly. Twenty-five percent accept Netanyahu's claims of innocence and the remaining 26% do not know what to believe.

A poll by Channel 2 showed that 45% of Israelis believe Netanyahu should resign even before the attorney general decides whether to indict, versus 40% who said he should not.
   1854. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:50 AM (#5626799)
Hillary was colluding with the Russians for the purposes of winning the election..

You have no balls. You are a coward. #### you.
   1855. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:54 AM (#5626800)
Down the hill, a crowd had gathered near the president’s entourage, and a man dressed as a clown was juggling bowling pins.

You do that in here every day, dressed like a monkey.
   1856. DavidFoss Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5626801)
I don't recall that happening 20 years ago. Do you have a link showing that in the late 90s most states drastically reduced spending on higher education?

Education started going up earlier than that. I honestly don't know the cause. It's been similar to health care. Seemed like the cost was a token amount in the 60s, started hitting the middle class in the 80s and has only gotten worse since. I don't know if I've seen a smoking gun explanation for an inflection point in the cost curve or it its just the compounding effect of rising more than inflation every year for decades.

I'm a bit suspicious of other lines on the plot. Wages going up faster than housing in the past 20 years? Where has that happened?
   1857. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:57 AM (#5626802)
We were warned in August 2014:
The audience of the Kremlin’s expanding media apparatus was treated to unsupported allegations and disinformation reminiscent of the extravagant untruths of Soviet-era Pravda. ...

Public diplomacy will be a vital element of a new Russia policy – we must stop ceding the battle of ideas to our opponents without putting up a fight. If Putin became convinced that his belligerence would lower his standing among his own people rather than elevate his popularity to record levels, he may think twice before undertaking further foreign adventures. ...

While he may be willing to sacrifice Russia’s own economy for his geo-political ambitions, we cannot afford to be a mere bystander as his destabilizing actions begin to threaten the economies of the Baltics and other NATO allies, possibly including our own.
Who authored this excerpt while Sammy, zonkie, and Mouse slept?

Devin Nunes.
   1858. Lassus Posted: February 19, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5626805)
Why Obama didn’t cancel fundraising despite tragic Charleston shooting:

What about Who knew he was with his entourage on Hilton Head?

Your man's two-day national nightmare is over, however, and he's back to golfing in West Palm.
   1859. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:06 AM (#5626806)
We'll see, Mouse...

Seth Lipsky:
Let Israel study what happened to, say, Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey. As he was leading the fight against President Barack Obama’s appeasement of Iran, the feds indicted him for taking gifts from a pal.

It is true that Menendez’s reputation stank long before the Iran nuclear deal. But voters gave him a second term partly for his willingness to stand up for Israel.

When the charges were put to trial, the jury hung — reportedly 10 to 2 in favor of acquittal. Just last month the government finally announced it won’t attempt to try him again.

It did that because our Supreme Court has wised up to the American disease. The high court has been making clear that in these graft cases, the government really has to prove an actual quid pro quo.

That was the unanimous opinion of the justices in the case involving the Republican ex-governor of Virginia, Bob McDonnell. Only later did the Supreme Court conclude that McDonnell was not guilty. The prosecution failed to show that there was a clear quid pro quo for the gifts McDonnell got while in office.

Israel has its own set of laws, of course, and doesn’t even have a constitution (one could quip that it answers to a higher authority). That doesn’t mean it can’t learn from the American experience.

That may be why Netanyahu declared Tuesday that he intends to stand his ground. What happened this week, after all, was not an indictment but a recommendation that one be handed up. ...

Putting politicians under constant investigation — a symptom of the American disease — is never more dangerous than when war clouds are scudding. Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong-un and the ayatollahs in Tehran are watching.
   1860. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:06 AM (#5626807)
What about Who knew he was with his entourage on Hilton Head?
So flying far away on taxpayer dollars to party it up absolves a POTUS of scrutiny? LOL.

Anyway, did you ever get the odometer checked?
   1861. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:07 AM (#5626808)
Who authored this excerpt while Sammy, zonkie, and Mouse slept?

I have always - unlike the current GOP President - acknowledged Russia is a threat and US rival. I don't wet my bed at night over it and I feel confident that NATO can handle Russia* (which Russia knows full well), so yeah weak sauce dude. Try again, but with more realism next time.

* More easily, of course, when the US is led by a non-Russian stooge, but I think they can hold out another few years. I have confidence in our European allies.
   1862. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM (#5626809)
We'll see, Mouse...

So you agree it looks bad for Bibi and Israel?* Me too. I don't glory in our ally being engulfed in such scandal, but still I won't pretend to be a fan of Bibi or his politics.

* Unless you are proud and happy as an American that someone like Menendez skated? I would much prefer he not run again or at least be primaried, but sadly it doesn't look like that will happen.
   1863. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:13 AM (#5626813)
You, Hillary & the Odious Sidney Blumenthal (a/k/a "The Troika")

Hey, don't forget zonk. He's the leader of our crowd.

Wait, are you headlining a fracas? You know how us President Trolls feel about anyone else getting top billing. Definitely time for another Let's Go Around the Table and Everybody Say How Awesome I Am.

1864. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:15 AM (#5626814)
Remember when Obama blamed (insert mass shooting here) on people investigating his birth certificate thus rendering them unable to stop (insert mass shooting here)?

That was terrible.
   1865. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:16 AM (#5626815)
So you agree it looks bad for Bibi and Israel?* Me too. I don't glory in our ally being engulfed in such scandal, but still I won't pretend to be a fan of Bibi or his politics.
Likud will win the next election with or without Bibi -- and folks forget he's thought to be among the most war risk-averse prime ministers in Israel's history.
* Unless you are proud and happy as an American that someone like Menendez skated? I would much prefer he not run again or at least be primaried, but sadly it doesn't look like that will happen.
I've stated multiple times that Menendez shouldn't have been retried and was happy that the feds finally agreed.
   1866. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:17 AM (#5626816)
Remember when Obama blamed (insert mass shooting here) on people investigating his birth certificate thus rendering them unable to stop (insert mass shooting here)?

That was terrible.
I *do* remember Obama blaming the NRA for mass shootings before the blood on the pavement had dried.
   1867. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:17 AM (#5626818)
You have no balls. You are a coward. #### you.
It's not courage that he lacks; it's integrity and decency.

EDIT: Well, no; the fact that he hides who he is means that he lacks courage, too.
   1868. Lassus Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM (#5626819)
LOL.

Glad to see you've moved on to higher physics and quantum entanglement. You know, the way regular folk think of distance.
   1869. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5626820)

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Very sad that the FBI missed all of the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter. This is not acceptable. They are spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign - there is no collusion. Get back to the basics and make us all proud!

10:08 PM - Feb 17, 2018
   1870. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:24 AM (#5626821)
To speak only to college tuition, the main reason it has skyrocketed in the past 20 years is that states have sharply withdrawn support for higher education. (In-state tuition has gone up eightfold in Texas over that span, and state support has been cut a corresponding amount.) So you could draw the reverse conclusion: take socialism away from certain fields, introduce market forces, and of course consumers pay more – particularly in fields like education, which are irreducibly labor-intensive.
No, that's not the explanation (though it may have exacerbated the problem). First, tuition at non-governmental schools, which didn't have taxpayer subsidization to be withdrawn, has also skyrocketed. Second, spending on higher education has skyrocketed. Look at the budgets of those schools.

To be sure, Baumol's Cost Disease explains why education would rise more than consumer goods -- but not that much more.

P.S. Nice save on the pedantry inoculation.
   1871. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:28 AM (#5626823)
It's not courage that he lacks; it's integrity and decency.

That's something all Dancing Monkeys lack. One by one Trump team members plead guilty, make deals, these supposed "best people", yet to the Dancing Monkeys, none of this reflects on Trump.

Don't die before I do, Dancing Monkeys, or at least don't die before I do if I know your name, because I swear I will deface your gravesite.
   1872. DavidFoss Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:29 AM (#5626824)
I *do* remember Obama blaming the NRA for mass shootings before the blood on the pavement had dried.

Didn't the kids in Parkland making the same NRA connection when they did the Sunday morning rounds this weekend? It is a bit more on-topic in these post-shooting debates.

Plus, apples and oranges. The FBI is a large government agency. The NRA is a private group which lobbies. I mean, come on? If it wasn't for Russiagate, the FBI would be making your neighborhood safer? Parkland is all about Trump?
   1873. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:29 AM (#5626825)
How much does it cost to go to college in other countries?

As Juan expects, socialist hellholes are the most expensive.

1874. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5626826)
The End Justifies the Obscene:
Sometimes we deride our friends on the left for what Dickens, in Bleak House, memorably dubbed the “telescopic philanthropy” of Mrs. Jellyby, the matron who teemed with plans to alleviate the misery of people thousands of miles away but proved blind to the suffering on her own street in London. That’s not how it works at the British charity behemoth Oxfam, though. When the cry for help goes out, these chaps pack up, parachute in, and immediately snap into action — by setting up a cathouse and enlisting the victims as their prostitutes. ...

It turns out that hiding a flesh emporium inside a relief effort works much the same way as the Harveywood mega-scandal. Men behave badly and get away with it, time and again. Women cheer them on (literally, as when Meryl Streep leaped to her feet to join in a standing ovation for Roman Polanski at the 2003 Oscars) or cover up. Roland van Hauwermeiren, a Belgian who headed Oxfam’s relief operations in Haiti and is at the center of the prostitute-the-peasantry scandal, had also been accused of employing the locals as prostitutes in a similar role in 2006 in Chad, where Oxfam was helping refugees from the civil war in Sudan. Instead of throwing him out the window for all this, then-CEO Barbara Stocking let him stroll out the door in what an internal report called a “phased and dignified exit” on his way to another cushy job with a French foreign-aid charity called Action Against Hunger.

How did we get to a point where relentlessly idealistic and progressive feminist women cover for men who turn girls from some of the poorest corners of the world into their sexual functionaries? Oxfam reminds us that a core feature of the Left is its happy-face Machiavellianism: The overall mission is so vital, so meaningful, so just, that the end justifies the obscene. It was in the Guardian (naturally) that a former Oxfam flack, Shaista Aziz, offered some insight into how loving the world can look an awful lot like taking sexual advantage of the most helpless individuals in it. What happened in Haiti was unsurprising to Aziz because, in her 15 years working for Oxfam and similar outfits, she found “a culture where bullying was rife, women were frequently belittled, and racism was casual.” Now she tells us! For a former “communications specialist,” she was about as communicative as a Mafia foot soldier. Whenever she mentioned a problem to her superiors, “I was made into the problem.”

So why didn’t she go over their heads? Why did she never tell, say, the Guardian what she knew? Aziz frankly and startlingly admits that however horrible the doings within Big Charity, the unspoken rule is that the outside world must be kept in the dark. “There is a fear,” she writes, “that if we tell the truth, the reputational damage to the agencies will benefit the sections of the press and politicians who want to reform the sector.” Reform! Anything but that.
Break up the NGOs?
   1875. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:32 AM (#5626827)
Keep regurgitating Juanbaouts, idiot.
   1876. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:34 AM (#5626828)

When the cry for help goes out, these chaps pack up, parachute in, and immediately snap into action — by setting up a cathouse and enlisting the victims as their prostitutes. ...
Job creation.
   1877. BrianBrianson Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:41 AM (#5626830)
If we don't get drunk and go out dancing, the terrorists will have won.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Jeez, I don't know how to phrase it without sounding sarcastic, but I'm really not. Moronic overreaction is how terrorists win.
   1878. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5626831)
Putting politicians under constant investigation — a symptom of the American disease — is never more dangerous than when war clouds are scudding. Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong-un and the ayatollahs in Tehran are watching.

It's like the Simpsons were writing future Trumpkin life stories when they were all still sneaking off to the bathroom with their favorite pages of the Sears catalog tucked inside The Art of the Deal.
   1879. BrianBrianson Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5626832)
*food and drink is debatable either way
Conclusion: remind me why socialism is so great again

How did they decide what's subject to free market forces, and what's subject to regulatory capture by government? Why, by whether prices are increasing faster than inflation (and really, college textbooks are an obvious giveaway of this - they're not subject to any kind of regulatory capture, whereas they're quite cheap in places like the UK where they are). People have decided they'll pay any price for healthcare and university, and they market forces are working that.

How did they choose which consumer goods and services to select? Why, by whether it seems to support their argument.
   1880. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:50 AM (#5626834)
I've stated multiple times that Menendez shouldn't have been retried and was happy that the feds finally agreed.

Whether or not the Feds should have retried Menendez says nothing about my comment and even less about Bibi's increasing legal hot water.
   1881. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5626835)

Should this serve as a late admission that the Republican crusade to find something, ANYTHING they could pin on Bill Clinton for 8 years may have contributed to the major terrorist attacks of Dubya's presidency?
   1882. . Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:52 AM (#5626837)
One by one Trump team members plead guilty, make deals, these supposed "best people", yet to the Dancing Monkeys, none of this reflects on Trump.

This Dancing Monkey hasn't really said many words about Trump, if any. He's talking about Hillary. You do realize Hillary colluded with the Russians to try to win the election, right? Look at the dossier. "Kremlin insider," this; "Kremlin insider," that. Now it's possible that there really are no "Kremlin insiders" and the whole thing is lies, but still -- she shopped it.
   1883. Lassus Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:57 AM (#5626838)
This Dancing Monkey hasn't really said many words about Trump, if any. He's talking about Hillary.

You're making this argument as a positive?
   1884. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:57 AM (#5626839)
This Dancing Monkey hasn't really said many words about Trump, if any.

For a brief moment, I thought I had awoken to a new reality where Trump wasn't President.

But alas, then I remembered Jason just explaining about how this terrible disease of investigation makes us look weak in front of the bad guys and realized that couldn't be right.
   1885. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:57 AM (#5626840)
We'll see, Mouse...

FTR, Bibi isn't the only head of state whom Seth Lipsky's shedding tears for. From that same New York Post link that JE so graciously provided in #1859:
The recommendation of Israeli police that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu be indicted for graft looks to me like an acute case of a malady that is itself a threat to the Jewish state.

I call it the American disease. This is the itch to criminalize policy differences, an infection America came down with in the 1980s and has been suffering from, on and off, ever since.

Just ask President Trump. He is being pursued by such a gaggle of Democrats dressed up as special prosecutors that it’s a wonder he finds time to do the job the voters hired him to do....

I'd say "Oh, the humanity!", but that'd be placing the bar a bit too low for those two.
   1886. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 19, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5626841)
This Dancing Monkey hasn't really said many words about Trump, if any.

Boy, your TDS* is rotting your cortex faster than I thought.

* Trump-Dedicated Sycophancy
   1887. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5626842)
Just ask President Trump. He is being pursued by such a gaggle of Democrats dressed up as special prosecutors that it’s a wonder he finds time to do the job the voters hired him to do....

IDK - he seems to find plenty of executive time to do the job his voters hired him to do. Too bad the word "troll" appears nowhere in the constitution.
   1888. DavidFoss Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5626843)
This Dancing Monkey hasn't really said many words about Trump, if any. He's talking about Hillary. You do realize Hillary colluded with the Russians to try to win the election, right? Look at the dossier. "Kremlin insider," this; "Kremlin insider," that. Now it's possible that there really are no "Kremlin insiders" and the whole thing is lies, but still -- she shopped it.

No puppet! YOU'RE the puppet!

Yes, the real collusion is that someone working for Hillary's opposition research team found out information which allegedly links the Trump campaign to Russia and they 'shopped' it. She was giving several stump speeches a week for months. She could have mentioned it in one of those but she figured it would do Trump more harm to have it come out after the election.

Do you honestly believe this or is this just muddying the waters to make it look like 'both sides' do it and soften the blow in the event Mueller comes up with anything definitive? Or maybe you're hoping people overreact to your argument and then you can get them for going too far in their overreaction?

Who knows, maybe Trump is completely innocent but saying that Hillary is the real colluder is insane.
   1889. dejarouehg Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:02 AM (#5626844)
It did that because our Supreme Court has wised up to the American disease. The high court has been making clear that in these graft cases, the government really has to prove an actual quid pro quo.

That was the unanimous opinion of the justices in the case involving the Republican ex-governor of Virginia, Bob McDonnell. Only later did the Supreme Court conclude that McDonnell was not guilty. The prosecution failed to show that there was a clear quid pro quo for the gifts McDonnell got while in office.

An absolutely horrible decision that has already had and will forever have dreadful consequences.

As for the rising costs of colleges, somewhere along the way, colleges decided that students were under-coddled and needed to make sure that if they had the munchies at 3AM, that there were a variety of food options for them. And if they were having a pity party, there needed to be a menu of all different types of counselors available. And that instead of having a (for illustrative purposes only) ratio of student to administrator of 15:1, they needed it to be 5:1 in order to ensure greater ....... actually, I can't figure out WTF it's for. And, if they make a mistake or need an extra building built, they can always fall back and raise the tuition. And instead of allowing the student to save some money by taking summer courses at local community colleges for less cost, they demand that you take them at the school for $1300 per credit, unless your a certain distance away in which case they grudgingly consider it. In thinking it through, maybe that extra staff was hired so the school can continue to barrage me with phone calls asking for additional money because the $65000 per year they charge plus the $3 Billion+ endowment isn't enough. ------Bitter Parent
   1890. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5626845)
Who knows, maybe Trump is completely innocent but saying that Hillary is the real colluder is insane.

All the times he's proclaimed that he's innocent? How could he not be? He'd have to be the most serialized of serial liars!
   1891. BDC Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5626847)

Indeed I do. Or rather, I am not sure exactly how that fits that graph you linked to, but it discusses various examples of dwindling state higher-ed funding, going back to the '80s (as DavidFoss mentions).

Meanwhile, state-school tuition has definitely gone up (here's my own alma mater).

If anyone thinks that tuition costs would go down if states removed all remaining funding and deregulated tuition … I dunno. Anything could happen. Unicorns could fly past my office window.
   1892. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:10 AM (#5626848)
Cost of tuition and room, Duke University, 1962, in 2018 dollars: $17,122 ($2,100 in 1962 dollars)

Cost of tuition and room, Duke University, 2018, in 2018 dollars: $62,248
   1893. Barnaby Jones Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:11 AM (#5626851)
oops
   1894. dejarouehg Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:12 AM (#5626852)
Meanwhile, state-school tuition has definitely gone up (here's my own alma mater.

Still, at least in NY, a great "bargain," not as great as the CUNY system but relatively affordable nonetheless.

However, there's a lot of NY kids who want to go to state schools in other states over NY because they have rah-rah and we don't..............and our state schools are almost all in crappy weather locations. Still, they provide excellent educations.
   1895. dejarouehg Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:15 AM (#5626853)
Cost of tuition and room, Duke University, 2018, in 2018 dollars: $62,248
and not especially generous on the financial aid side, while maintaining an impressive level of arrogance.
   1896. . Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:15 AM (#5626854)

Well, I never used the term "real colluder." What I have said -- which is 100% truthful -- is that she in fact did what everyone said, before what she did became clear, would constitute "collusion." It was done in secret, involved getting dirt on her opponent from Russian officials, and was done for the purpose of influencing the election.
   1897. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:16 AM (#5626855)
As for the rising costs of colleges, somewhere along the way, colleges decided that students were under-coddled and needed to make sure that if they had the munchies at 3AM, that there were a variety of food options for them. And if they were having a pity party, there needed to be a menu of all different types of counselors available. And that instead of having a (for illustrative purposes only) ratio of student to administrator of 15:1, they needed it to be 5:1 in order to ensure greater ....... actually, I can't figure out WTF it's for.

It's a fine just-so story but were it true we'd see the rock-ribbed conservative options as consistently cheaper. Not really the case. Actually this surprised me, since I assume you only need to purchase one book for all your classes. Either that or just steal it from a hotel nightstand.
   1898. Lassus Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5626857)
..............and our state schools are almost all in crappy weather locations

Stony Brook ain't so bad.

However, I'd stay out of Plattsburgh. And nearly everywhere else, too. (Potsdam, yeesh.)
   1899. dejarouehg Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5626863)
Stony Brook ain't so bad.
I specifically had Stony Brook and Purchase in mind when qualifying by saying almost. I went to SUNY Albany where the sun went into hiding the 3rd week of September and came back out during finals. But there was often a nice layer of slush on the ground to match the gray skies and cement.
   1900. Stormy JE Posted: February 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5626864)
.pilF
Page 19 of 21 pages ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 21 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.