Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, March 12, 2018

OTP 12 March 2018: Trevor Bauer thinks Major League Baseball trying to silence him on Twitter

Last February, Bauer made waves on Twitter when he argued over politics with his followers. He tweeted that almost all of the Indians supported Donald Trump and told another user they were “welcome to quit life.”

Bauer has been much calmer as of late and that could be because MLB stepped in. The 27-year-old hasn’t tweeted that much this offseason and when he does it’s been about things like the Olympics and his training.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 12, 2018 at 08:17 AM | 1718 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: cleveland indians, off topic, politics, twitter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   601. BDC Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5637879)
One of the tenets of Stretchy Liberalism would be that there was a window, maybe 1964-79, maybe 1964-88 (it's hard to keep track) in which liberal consensus was in favor of colorblind equal opportunity but not wedded to affirmative action. I don't think this is historically valid, but it seems to be what he's on about. And hence there was that blissful age in the 1970s when liberals never mentioned anyone's skin color or ethnicity, when transsexual tennis players were unremarkable sights on neighborhood courts, etc. This does not seem to me historically valid either, but what the hell do I know.
   602. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5637880)
Dershowitz, totally not a Modern Liberal. LOL.

He totally isn't.

Dershowitz endorsed Hillary Clinton in the 2008 presidential election, and later endorsed the party nominee, Barack Obama.

So?

Are you really this dumb or are you just pretending?
   603. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:24 PM (#5637881)
Since the modern liberal/actual liberal debate has been joined

Yes. All three of you - Stretchy, Dershowitz, and Lilla - versus every other Liberal in the US (and I presume many other nations). Good one.

Hey stretchy, let us know how it turns out. I bet the voices in your head like totally lose to you.
   604. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5637882)
The Guardian left this part out from the modern liberal rant I've been discussing:

Let me be blunt: this kind of liberalism is a liberalism of white supremacy.

605. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:27 PM (#5637883)
Are you really this dumb or are you just pretending?

What is SBB's morning mantra he recites in front a mirror?
   606. DavidFoss Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:29 PM (#5637885)
Franke, a Columbia professor and Lilla colleague:

Somehow, I'm imagining these two tenured faculty members as the best of friends. You know in the Scalia & Ginsburg mold. They write harsh opinions about each other's views and then go off to enjoy a wonderful night at the opera.

Meanwhile, in the rest of America, our Thankgiving dinner conversations are being ruined. We're not all academic types who are completely detached from their opinions.

I dunno, Larvell/SBB/TripleCaret/Whoever, this whole idea of "committing to a national personality"... does that sound good? I mean, who would you argue with?
   607. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5637887)
Lilla closes with an homage to “the real foundations of modern American liberalism,” Franklin Roosevelt’s Four Freedoms. He recounts the sheer delight (academics would call it jouissance) at the celebration of Roosevelt’s America in a way designed to induce the reader to surrender to a familiar sentiment: “Yes, let’s make America great, like that, again!” Roosevelt’s speech in 1941 was a call to arms, providing the ideological basis for U.S. involvement in World War II. A month after Roosevelt’s Four Freedom’s speech Bruce Tisdale, a 27 year-old African American man, was lynched in Georgetown, South Carolina by five white men who were outraged that Tisdale had taken “their” jobs at the local lumber mill.

In other words, if Barack Obama gave a moving speech a few days before Michael Brown was killed in Ferguson, that would somehow reflect on the merits of the contents of the speech.

That seems ... odd.

Franklin Roosevelt's Four Freedoms:

Freedom of Speech
Freedom of Worship
Freedom from Want
Freedom from Fear

I mean, yeah -- how awful. How dare he mansplain such things?
   608. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:31 PM (#5637888)
What is SBB's morning mantra he recites in front a mirror?

No. Just no. I prefer to think of stretchy, when I think of him at all, as a slightly rumpled, unwashed, and unhappy straight white dude. Afraid of the evil Muslim and angry that somehow - he is not sure how- he didn't get as far in life as he thinks he ought. And always fully dressed. Always.
   609. PreservedFish Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:31 PM (#5637889)
Nils Lofgren is one of those "music guy" names that I've always known is an important music guy but couldn't give you a single reason why, or anything he did.

Me too. Now that I've googled him, that's pretty awesome that he was in Crazy Horse AND the E Street Band. I listened to that Crazy Horse album for the first time a few months ago, and I really liked it. Had no idea that some of those Neil Young standbys were originally Crazy Horse songs, and I also didn't know that this Rod Stewart song wasn't originally a Rod Stewart song, although maybe I should have, as there clearly came a time when Rod Stewart basically gave up writing new songs.
   610. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5637891)
One of the tenets of Stretchy Liberalism would be that there was a window, maybe 1964-79, maybe 1964-88 (it's hard to keep track) in which liberal consensus was in favor of colorblind equal opportunity but not wedded to affirmative action.

We've gone far beyond "affirmative action," to a diversity cult and an obsession with identity and all the things Lilla talks about.

I personally have (had) no issue whatever with affirmative action for the first post-Civil Rights Era generation -- and that was the liberal consensus. Not sure how that's relevant now, though.

This does not seem to me historically valid either, but what the hell do I know.

Because you're repackaging history to serve ca. 2018 modern liberal ends.
   611. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5637892)
Zonk-- "Possum Kingdom" is way better than "I Come from the Water." "In the Meantime" is better than "Space is the Place." "In the Meantime" is one of those nifty songs with hooks stacked on top of hooks, like "Band on the Run" or "Funkytown." Spacehog's "Cruel to Be Kind" isn't even the best "Cruel to Be Kind." I like all this stuff, but let us be properly ordinal. And I say blech to your "Lovefool" blech. Blech!
   612. Stevey Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5637893)
He could just be unlikeable and uncharismatic.

When was the last time this hurt a GOP congressional candidate? A big part of GOP success is their bland boring empty-suit-iness.
   613. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5637896)
Me too. Now that I've googled him, that's pretty awesome that he was in Crazy Horse AND the E Street Band. I listened to that Crazy Horse album for the first time a few months ago, and I really liked it. Had no idea that some of those Neil Young standbys were originally Crazy Horse songs, and I also didn't know that this Rod Stewart song wasn't originally a Rod Stewart song, although maybe I should have, as there clearly came a time when Rod Stewart basically gave up writing new songs.

Man... Rod Stewart. There's a guy I'd like to hear in an alternate reality where getting disco fever didn't rot his brain, allow him to recover enough to pen some relatively listenable, but forgettable 80s pop, and then go onto endless schmaltz.

The Faces - the Stewart/Wood era iteration - are another under-appreciated band.

I always thought Long Player was kind of like Exile on Main Street's less talented older brother. Kind of like Sandy Jr to the superior Roberto, but still a fine work in its right.
   614. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:43 PM (#5637898)
Zonk-- "Possum Kingdom" is way better than "I Come from the Water." "In the Meantime" is better than "Space is the Place." "In the Meantime" is one of those nifty songs with hooks stacked on top of hooks, like "Band on the Run" or "Funkytown." Spacehog's "Cruel to Be Kind" isn't even the best "Cruel to Be Kind." I like all this stuff, but let us be properly ordinal. And I say blech to your "Lovefool" blech. Blech!

Didn't I have you on ignore at some point?
   615. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:43 PM (#5637899)
After further review, the tendentious connecting of the unconnected, with the affiliated implicit smears, is the essence of modern liberalism OTP circle jerkery. This passage from Lilla's interlocutor is the essential credo, change the names/fill in the blanks as appropriate:

In the new political climate we now inhabit, Duke and Lilla were contributing to the same ideological project, the former cloaked in a KKK hood, the latter in an academic gown. Both men are underwriting the whitening of American nationalism, and the re-centering of white lives as lives that matter most in the U.S. Duke is happy to own the white supremacy of his statements, while Lilla’s op-ed does the more nefarious background work of making white supremacy respectable.

If you aren't a modern liberal, you're a racist, and if you're an intelligent non-modern liberal you're an even more nefarious racist.(*)

So it has been, so it shall continue to be. The bankruptcy of such a viewpoint speaks for itself.

(*) We can trust that Mark Lilla would fall squarely within H Clinton's "basket of deplorables."

616. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5637900)
Python Lee Jackson, with guest vocals by Mr. Mystery: "In a Broken Dream"
   617. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5637901)
Zonk:
Didn't I have you on ignore at some point?

During that time, whenever I felt lonely and forlorn, you know what always perked me up? Listening to the Cardigans!
   618. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5637902)
Did people like the Shape of Water? I found it pretty to look at and not much else. I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough around the plot, which seemed flimsy at best. I admit as always -- not a big film guy -- but I wanted to watch this one because I did really like Pan's Labyrinth. I'd give it 2.5 stars. It reminded me of the original Bioshock so much that I wondered if Del Toro was a fan -- turns out he is.
   619. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5637903)
Greil Marcus: “Rarely has a singer had as full and unique a talent as Rod Stewart; rarely has anyone betrayed their talent so completely.”
   620. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5637904)
Bad N Ruin - proof that once upon a time, Rod Stewart was actually really, really good.
   621. PreservedFish Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5637905)
I actually like the Cardigans. I think "Lovefool" is terrific and I'll put on the albums "Life" or "First Band on the Moon" every once in a while.

I really like the early Rod Stewart and Faces stuff. Those albums tend to run together because I discovered and began listening to them all at the same time. Like many my age, probably, I was introduced to Rod Stewart-as-actually-good-artist from the inclusion of "Ooh La La" on the Rushmore soundtrack. Even though I don't think Stewart does the lead vocals on that one.
   622. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5637910)
Greil Marcus: “Rarely has a singer had as full and unique a talent as Rod Stewart; rarely has anyone betrayed their talent so completely.”

Reason enough to keep you off ignore - because this is a perfect summation of Stewart. A few contrarians might whattabout Elton John, but they would be very wrong.
   623. stig-tossled,hornswoggled gef the talking mongoose Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5637911)
I was introduced to Rod Stewart-as-actually-good-artist from the inclusion of "Ooh La La" on the Rushmore soundtrack. Even though I don't think Stewart does the lead vocals on that one.

Nope. The late, great Ronnie Lane.
   624. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5637912)

One of the best (?) symptoms of FLTB's pathology is that when he latches onto something, he's going to beat that dead horse into the ground regardless of whether anyone else is even listening. He posted about this Guardian piece about Lilla in 583. Nobody responded, so he reposted it in 590. And 595. And 599. And 604. And 607. And 615. All while chortling to himself. It's not like each of those had something new to say -- no, he just said it over and over again.
   625. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5637914)
One of the tenets of Stretchy Liberalism would be that there was a window, maybe 1964-79, maybe 1964-88 (it's hard to keep track) in which liberal consensus was in favor of colorblind equal opportunity but not wedded to affirmative action. I don't think this is historically valid, but it seems to be what he's on about. And hence there was that blissful age in the 1970s when liberals never mentioned anyone's skin color or ethnicity, when transsexual tennis players were unremarkable sights on neighborhood courts, etc. This does not seem to me historically valid either, but what the hell do I know.

Lyndon Johnson spoke in favor of affirmative action as early as 1964. Richard Nixon expanded upon it. The Supreme Court affirmed it in Bakke, and IIRC that was in 1978. "Affirmative action" is one of those vague terms that means many things to many different people.

The truth is that if you want to talk about "Modern Liberals" being defined by racial considerations uber alles, you're talking about a faction of liberalism that's mostly centered in universities, and to reduce it to its crudest form, it favors quotas rather than Bakke-style AA, where race is used as one factor out of many, along with class, geography, test scores, grades, extracurricular activities, special talents, etc. If there's a single politician with more than a cult following who subscribes to the quota sort of "modern liberalism", I'd like to know his or her name.

And I'd also like to know the name of any mainstream politician who's truly in favor of "open borders", which is a complete strawman. All the nativist Right means by that term these days is the thought that the government should concentrate its deportation efforts on illegals who actually pose a threat to our safety---violent criminals---rather than those illegals whose only crime is living here without papers. If that's all "open borders" means, it's a position subscribed to by the vast majority of the population, including a majority of Republican non-politicians.

Of course what these two issues have in common is the complete willingness of Republican politicians to distort their opponents' beliefs, a willingness that's reinforced by Fox News and all its ideological soulmates. It's not surprising to see that sort of deliberate misrepresentation show up here every day.
   626. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5637916)
Rod Stewart is (in total*) about as generic singer as it is possible to be. He is fine, I own his greatest hits, but if it disappeared from my collection I would never ever notice.

Elton John is a treasure and an inner circle talent.

* I won't hazard a guess as to his actual talent and how much he might have wasted it.
   627. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 01:59 PM (#5637918)
If there's a single politician with more than a cult following who subscribes to the quota sort of "modern liberalism", I'd like to know his or her name.

???

"Diversity" is the updated term for quotas. "Quota" is an archaic term. And "diversity" of its very essence -- and by its common usage -- admits to no "other factors." A diverse group is more virtuous than a "homogeneous" group, period.

Virtually the entire Democratic Party subscribes to that viewpoint and they all have far more than a mere "cult following."

Earth to Andy: It's not 1965 or 1978 anymore.
   628. Jason Dean Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5637920)
That's unusual for a guy rocker to be so completely inspired by women musicmakers, but that's the way it happened.

Hello, It's Me
   629. PreservedFish Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5637922)
Rod Stewart is (in total*) about as generic singer as it is possible to be. He is fine, I own his greatest hits, but if it disappeared from my collection I would never ever notice.

The one where he's wearing a shiny pink blazer? I think that it has exactly one song from what I would call his prime.
   630. Omineca Greg Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:01 PM (#5637923)
I like Nils Lofgren. His own solo albums just spread the good stuff too thin. I hate to reduce a man's life's work so simplistically, but...he's a great collaborator because he brings a lot of talent to the party, but as a solo artist he comes up a little short.

I think this song is one of his best. Lyrics aren't much, so I won't copy them in, but I like the song. Sometimes he rocks harder than this, which I think his fans would like better, but I appreciate the mid-70s easy groove.

White Lies

Keith Don't Go (Ode To The Glimmer Twins) is another fun one.
   631. Omineca Greg Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5637924)
Nope. The late, great Ronnie Lane

Actually, it's a rare vocal appearance by Ron Wood.

EDIT: Assuming it's the Faces version. Lane did a version with his own band later.
   632. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5637927)
I like the Faces, but I love the Small Faces.
   633. DavidFoss Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5637928)
The one where he's wearing a shiny pink blazer? I think that it has exactly one song from what I would call his prime.

Some friends of mine decided to like Rod Stewart ironically during college... just because some of the post-1975 songs are so incredibly ridiculous. Someone got the box set and brought it into the dorm. It had all the crazy/silly stuff, but we were surprised at how much of the stuff was actually good. The "irony" got a bit confusing at times, but it was all in good fun.

He had a rather unique and distinctive raspy voice. So, he could always fall back on being a 'performer' rather than an artist for whatever reason. It's not entirely surprising that in his old age, he released a few albums of 'american songbook' standards. That was long after college, so I don't actually know how good they are.
   634. Jason Dean Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5637929)
I won't hazard a guess as to his actual talent and how much he might have wasted it.

Happy Trails
   635. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:09 PM (#5637930)
The "irony" got a bit confusing at times, but it was all in good fun.

It always does when it comes to music. ABBA, same thing.

But a few years ago, I heard that Burton Cummings was somehow a thing among hipsters, but he does in fact suck.
   636. PreservedFish Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:09 PM (#5637931)
Also I don't think that even late Rod Stewart is "generic." He certainly has a distinctive voice, and I'd say he's even distinctive in the way he's become a total sell out.

Related to my thinking that Todd Rundgren was Carole King, I have a younger co-worker that did not know who Rod Stewart was at all, but was somehow familiar with the song "Bette Davis Eyes," and as a result thought that that singer, whoever she was, was a prolific hit maker, because he kept hearing her songs on the radio.
   637. dlf Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5637932)
One of the best (?) symptoms of FLTB's pathology ...

Question from the peanut gallery: what is the origin and meaning of that moniker?
   638. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5637934)
Rod Stewart had a few decent songs from around 1975-83 that I've enjoyed at random and could still enjoy if they popped into my listening radius.(*) I've never known a single Rod Stewart "fan" or anyone who has even displayed the least bit of passion about his music. Rod Stewart was on the cover of the Rolling Stone that I had with me as I traipsed around Europe for nearly four blissful, pre-email weeks in the summer of 1991. He was shagging Rachel Hunter at the time. He's had a fine life.

(*) I always liked the fact that in the line from Hot Legs, "You're gonna need a shot of Vitamin E // By the time you're finished with me" that he pronounced Vitamin: "VIH-tih-mihn."
   639. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5637935)

It appears to be 2001's The Very Best of Rod Stewart (I had to check my phone, get the title of the album and then look at AllMusic.com). It had all the music of his I was familiar with when I got it (used I believe, well over a decade ago, in CD form) and it is cromulant (at best) musically.
   640. Omineca Greg Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5637936)
It had all the crazy/silly stuff, but we were surprised at how much of the stuff was actually good. The "irony" got a bit confusing at times, but it was all in good fun.

I was reading an article in the Scottish Journal Of Alternative Music , or something like that...a hipster Scots music publication anyway, and they had a list of the "Ten Best" and "Ten Worst" Scottish musicians, all ranked.

Rod was #1 in both.
   641. PreservedFish Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:16 PM (#5637937)
It appears to be 2001's The Very Best of Rod Stewart

Yeah that one looks like it sucks. From the Allmusic review: "This is a gifted singer who did wonderful work with the Faces and Jeff Beck, and began his solo career in brilliant fashion, and little of that is here. You do get "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?," though, and the distance between that song and "Maggie Mae" is where the real story falls."
   642. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5637938)
Also I don't think that even late Rod Stewart is "generic."

To be clear I did not mean to say his voice was generic, simply that the music is generic. His net Music Above Replacement Value is about as "Sure, I guess" as possible. His actual voice is pretty distinctive.

LeaAn Rimes has - to choose the first example that sprung to mind - has a very generic sounding voice IMO. It is clear and pretty, but to my ear not very distinctive relative to a million other singers.
   643. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5637939)
Question from the peanut gallery: what is the origin and meaning of that moniker?

It is a term of David's own making. It means "Fake Lawyer Troll Boy." It is how he refers to "SBB" or "^ ^ ^" or "Larvell B."
   644. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5637940)
Some friends of mine decided to like Rod Stewart ironically during college... just because some of the post-1975 songs are so incredibly ridiculous. Someone got the box set and brought it into the dorm. It had all the crazy/silly stuff, but we were surprised at how much of the stuff was actually good. The "irony" got a bit confusing at times, but it was all in good fun.

Ha!

Did we go to college together? I had the Storyteller box set - one of the first box sets I ever owned (back when those were a thing).

Looking at the track listing -- Discs 1 & 2 are great; that's the sweet spot. Disc 3 should be blasted into the sun and never spoken of again. Disc 4 is synthesizer 80s crap, though mildly catchy 80s pop crap.
   645. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5637943)
Yeah that one looks like it sucks.

I have long ago realized that my musical tastes and those of most of BBTF's is wildly divergent. Pavement and the million other random crap* bands I hear talked about here incessantly have no interest for me. I have wide tastes, but they tend strongly towards the sort of music that is widely popular - across many genre though.

* IMO, others can feel free to love them with all their heart. I am even willing to allow their music taste is superior to mine, for whatever that is worth.
   646. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5637944)
You do get "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?," though, and the distance between that song and "Maggie Mae" is where the real story falls."

Yeah, the former is far better than the latter. The ending of Maggie Mae is kind of wistfully good; the rest is dreadful. (*)

Not liking anything from a non-disco performer's "disco era" is one of those things we're all supposed to be bound by -- but it's stupid.

(*) Those kinds of "transitions to a whole new groove" songs had a bit of a heyday -- Layla is in the same vein, though even more pronounced. My preference of those kind of songs would be something like The Kings' "This Beat Goes On/Switchin' to Glide."
   647. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5637945)
Also I don't think that even late Rod Stewart is "generic."

I initially thought you wrong “geriatric” which would be understandable.
   648. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5637946)
Fake Lawyer

It could be worse. It could be "Real Lawyer".
   649. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5637948)
It doesn't become any more true on the 1,562,399th repetition.

If all truth took was repetition you’d be two real lawyers instead of one fake one.
   650. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5637950)
But a few years ago, I heard that Burton Cummings was somehow a thing among hipsters, but he does in fact suck.

I like Burton Cummings and Guess Who. Not like I own their studio albums or anything but I can think of 5 songs off the top of my head by them that are pretty good...my favorite is She's Come Undun.
   651. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5637951)
Not liking anything from a non-disco performer's "disco era" is one of those things we're all supposed to be bound by -- but it's stupid.

No.

Some Girls remains a great album - perhaps the last great Stones album, depending on how one feels about Tattoo You - and it's certainly disco influenced and from smack dab in the middle of the disco era.

I feel like Emotional Rescue has been kicked around before, but it's mostly ridiculous crap... though, oddly, a good chunk of Tattoo You was comprised of leftovers it.

652. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5637952)
my favorite is She's Come Undun

I believe it is just "Undun" (he wrote pedantically). :)

Yet another greatest hits I own and enjoy, but I doubt I would notice if it disappeared tomorrow.
   653. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5637955)
I think "Emotional Rescue" the song is good because it's tongue in cheek and amusing. "She's So Cold" is like "Shattered" Part II. I always thought that it was weird that they buried the hits at the end of the album song-order wise. I agree it's pretty bad.
   654. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5637956)
Some Girls remains a great album

Wouldn't get released today, and the boycott -- which got pretty much nowhere at roughly The Peak -- would succeed. Care to write out the lyrics to the title track? The Twitter and Jezebel harpies and their beta acolytes would come completely undun.

But, yes, tremendous album.
   655. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:37 PM (#5637958)

Yeah I think you're right :) I was on the fence about posting that but I figured more people would recognize it if I included the "She's Come" part.
   656. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:37 PM (#5637959)
   657. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5637960)
Wouldn't get released today, and the boycott -- which got pretty much nowhere at roughly The Peak -- would succeed. Want to write out the lyrics to the title track?

This is closer to peak stretchy delusional than most of his posts. Wouldn't get released? Has stretchy listened to any music made this decade?
   658. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5637961)
I bet somewhere there's footage of Donald Trump singing along to Some Girls. Maybe impeachment isn't such a crazy idea after all.
   659. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5637962)
I have long ago realized that my musical tastes and those of most of BBTF's is wildly divergent. Pavement and the million other random crap* bands I hear talked about here incessantly have no interest for me. I have wide tastes, but they tend strongly towards the sort of music that is widely popular - across many genre though.

I don't find anything wrong with aiming for broadly popular -- for a good 10-15 years, I've walked the lonely road as humanity's sole defender of Liz Phair's post-Whitechocolatespaceegg stuff (not that I think the self-titled album with it's Why Can't I crossover is as good as the prior stuff; just that it's perfectly fun crossover pop and there's nothing wrong with that... so give the woman a break, dammit!)

I feel the same way about Green Day's broader, wider early stuff that most hardcore fans (not that I am one) consider the start of their selling out.

Likewise, I'll point again to Some Girls - great, great stuff influenced by a passing fad but something that (Mick, mostly - I think most of the Stones best stuff is more Keith influenced, but I think it would be fair to say that Some Girls is more Mick) that they made work.

I just think there's a bright line between accessibility and trying on a new style and just flat lazily wallowing it... and Rod wallowed in the late 70s disco.
   660. Morty Causa Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5637963)
Has Rod Stewart died or something? Or is he singing something at Hawking's funeral?
   661. Omineca Greg Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5637964)
Yet another greatest hits I own and enjoy, but I doubt I would notice if it disappeared tomorrow.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but word to the wise: If you ever head North...when you're crossing the border, keep that information to yourself. Canada Customs is pretty easy going...usually...

Canada Customs: Hey bud, how's it going?

Driver at Border:...uhh...fine I guess...

CC: Don't got any weed with ya, eh, bud?

DAB: Well, maybe a little...

CC: Well, if it's just a little, no worries friend. We really like to keep that work for Canadian dealers, but it's hard to make a connection when travelling (two 'L's buddy, c'mon) so as long as it's for personal use...

DAB: Yeah, yeah, personal use.

CC: Cool. Got any brewskis in there?

DAB: Well...yeah...

CC: Of course you do. You gotta work up to beer with actual flavour (not to harp on this, my man, but there's a 'U' in there), I'll waive the duty.

DAB: Appreciate it, sir.

CC: It's not an issue, my southern pal. Drop the 'Sir'. We don't have that here, you're thinking of the UK. Just one more question...your opinion on The Guess Who?

DAB: They're....OK?

CC: [draws gun] OUT OF THE CAR ############!!!! OUT OF THE ####### CAR RIGHT NOW!!! I CAN END THIS #### RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW AND SEND YOU BACK IN A BODY BAG!!!!

I don't want that to happen to you, so...shhhhhh!
   662. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5637966)
Likewise, I'll point again to Some Girls - great, great stuff influenced by a passing fad but something that (Mick, mostly - I think most of the Stones best stuff is more Keith influenced, but I think it would be fair to say that Some Girls is more Mick) that they made work.

I agree with this assessment, but I think Keith's "Beast of Burden" riff is one of his top 5. Just sooo much groove.
   663. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5637967)
I don't find anything wrong with aiming for broadly popular -- for a good 10-15 years, I've walked the lonely road as humanity's sole defender of Liz Phair's post-Whitechocolatespaceegg stuff (not that I think the self-titled album with it's Why Can't I crossover is as good as the prior stuff; just that it's perfectly fun crossover pop and there's nothing wrong with that... so give the woman a break, dammit!)

I feel the same way about Green Day's broader, wider early stuff that most hardcore fans (not that I am one) consider the start of their selling out.

Now Liz Phair and Green Day I would miss. American Idiot is a great great album IMO and I enjoy most everything by both.
   664. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5637968)
This is closer to peak stretchy delusional than most of his posts. Wouldn't get released? Has stretchy listened to any music made this decade?

Uh-huh, sure. We can rest assured that a middle-aged white guy ululating to the lyrics "Black girls just want to get ###### all night, I just don't have that much jam" would go entirely unnoticed.

A hundred LOLs. You're taxing my supply today.
   665. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5637969)
Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but word to the wise: If you ever head North...when you're crossing the border, keep that information to yourself. Canada Customs is pretty easy going...usually...

Does it help that I love Gordon Lightfoot? My friends regularly make fun of me for it.
   666. DavidFoss Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5637970)
Wouldn't get released today, and the boycott -- which got pretty much nowhere at roughly The Peak -- would succeed. Want to write out the lyrics to the title track?

I think this was them being edgy just for the sake of it. I think they were aware of where 'the line' was at the time and were dancing a little bit over it. If the line today is somewhere else, they'd have written the lyrics to go a little bit over *that* line.

Plus, there's not as much of a 'bonus' for tiptoeing along that line as there used to be. I mean, you can go online and get all the uncensored stuff that you want.
   667. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5637971)
"would go entirely unnoticed" <> "would not get released".

Only an idiot would suggest otherwise. Which ... well yeah.
   668. BrianBrianson Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5637972)
Canada Customs is pretty easy going...usually..

No doubt, especially when you're driving. They once took my mother's word there were no nuclear weapons in the car, and declined her invitation to take a look.

Probably because we just turned down From Coffee House to Concert Hall, rather than totally turning off the CD player.
   669. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5637973)
Does it help that I love Gordon Lightfoot? My friends regularly make fun of me for it.

I have seen Gordon live, like, in the last few years. He was great.
   670. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5637974)

Gordon is one of my favorites especially around Christmastime. Canadian Railroad Trilogy is always 8 or 9 minutes well spent.
   671. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5637975)
I think they were aware of where 'the line' was at the time and were dancing a little bit over it. If the line today is somewhere else, they'd have written the lyrics to go a little bit over *that* line.

Right -- the line is way more restrictive today. There is no chance that a record company would release a band of white guys singing those lyrics today. None.

Of course, there really should be no line at all.
   672. DavidFoss Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5637976)

The Sweater Song? :-)
   673. Traderdave Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5637977)
Keith's "Beast of Burden" riff

Is that Keith? Could well be Ronnie, no?

And my favorite Rod Stewart story:

I was at a party a million years ago where people were doing karaoke. It was the first time I'd ever seen that god awful machine, but there was a golden moment when a flamboyantly gay fellow got up to sing Rod's version of "Forever Young." During the chorus instead of the title words he sang "four quarts of cum."

I still laugh about it whenever I hear that song, usually on muzak at a mall.
   674. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5637978)
I think besides some great songs in the 70s, he was a very good and popular producer. The only time I saw him live was when he was with the Cars, as Ric Ocasek's replacement.

Ric produced The Sweater Song so this thread has come full circle :)
   675. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5637979)

I guess it could be but it sure sounds like something Keith would write. But sometimes Ronnie played like Keith and vice/versa. So you could be right, I just feel that slightly behind the beat groove is so Keith.
   676. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5637980)
A sampling of lyrics from Burton Cummings:

"Sometimes late at night
When there's nothing here except my old piano
I'd almost give my hands to make you see my way"

Listen, buddy. That's creepy. Maybe you shouldn't have published that, is what I would say to him.
   677. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5637981)
Ric produced The Sweater Song so this thread has come full circle :)

There's a 2014 YouTube clip of Ocasik singing "No One Else" live with them at a venue in NYC.
   678. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5637983)
Wouldn't get released today, and the boycott -- which got pretty much nowhere at roughly The Peak -- would succeed. Care to write out the lyrics to the title track? The Twitter and Jezebel harpies and their beta acolytes would come completely undun.

Right. That's why nobody has ever heard of Limp Bizkit - though, sparing humanity that makes a good case for it not being such a bad idea.... or Korn... or Eminem... Or how about GNR's "I used to love her, but I had to kill her"? How about Fallout Boy's "Tell that Mick he Just Made my List of Things to Do Today"? Or hell, virtually half of Kanye West's catalog....

Spare me.

679. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5637984)
A sampling of lyrics from Burton Cummings:

"Sometimes late at night
When there's nothing here except my old piano
I'd almost give my hands to make you see my way"

Listen, buddy. That's creepy. Maybe you shouldn't have published that, is what I would say to him.

he said "almost" so it's ok.
   680. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5637985)
Or how about GNR's "I used to love her, but I had to kill her"?

Don't be like Andy and confuse time. GNR is decades ago now.

But in any event, there's nothing racist about those lyrics. Violence is fine. "Racism" isn't.

This really needs to be explained?
   681. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5637986)
But in any event, there's nothing racist about those lyrics. Violence is fine. "Racism" isn't.

To be fair, GNR has plenty of racist lyrics elsewhere on the GNR LIES album.
   682. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5637989)

I guess it could be but it sure sounds like something Keith would write. But sometimes Ronnie played like Keith and vice/versa. So you could be right, I just feel that slightly behind the beat groove is so Keith.

No, that's Keith's riff on Beast of Burden... I said Some Girls is probably the most "Mick" album because this was when Keith was in some serious legal jeopardy - and probably at the height of his drug abuse - and I think the album in general is considered more Mick than most.
   683. Traderdave Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5637990)
The early-mid 80's dreck -- Undercover, Harlem Shuffle, etc -- is pretty heavily Mick as well, for same reasons
   684. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5637991)
To be fair, GNR has plenty of racist lyrics elsewhere on the GNR LIES album.

Nothing like Some Girls in which a laundry list of "ethnic" types is delineated and various "features" attributed to each and in which blackness is made to look the worst -- by quite a distance.

Again, there's zero chance that such a thing would be released in 2018. By a band of white guys, anyway. The rules are different if that wasn't the case, obviously.
   685. Omineca Greg Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5637992)
My son went across the border from Vancouver to Point Roberts. Point Roberts is not attached to the rest of the States, so that's as far as you can go. He was picking up some shirts that he'd ordered on-line. My daughter has a PO box just for things like that.

The American Border Agent was all like, "Shirts?...what's the matter they don't sell shirts in Canada? Are you sure you're picking up 'shirts'? 'Shirts' just sounds a little too convenient to me. I think maybe you've got some other business down there, something you don't want me to know about. Because 'shirts' isn't fooling me for a second..."

So the guy carried on like an asshat for awhile. What colour were the shirts, what size were the shirts, hoping to trip him up. My son found that quite tiresome.

On the way, back...Canada Customs, who should have been charging him duty...

Canada Customs..."Shirts!!! That's awesome! Were they a good deal? That is a good deal. I'm OK on shirts actually, but do they sell pants? They do! Sweet. Is there a url on that receipt? No? Do you remember the address? Sure just let me write that down...OK...thanks! Man! You've made my day. Have a good one."

It's pretty funny, because it's always like that. When I went on vacation to drive the Natchez Trace, I flew from Seattle to Nashville (and return trip). When I drove across the border on the way down, the guard could not believe that someone was going to Mississippi. Why? When? How? Why again? He was treating me like it was a poorly conceived cover story. On the way back, with Canada Customs? "Mississippi, eh? Awesome. And back to Prince George. Oh sorry 'bout that. Enjoy!"
   686. DavidFoss Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5637993)
But sometimes Ronnie played like Keith and vice/versa.

I liked him in the Faces, but Ronnie joining the Stones was the beginning of the end. It was like they switched to two rhythm guitarists. Half the songs had those repeated-eighth-note riffs for several albums. Losing Mick Taylor was such a big loss.
   687. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5637994)

I think they just got bad at making music. Happens to most bands. I refuse to believe that a band, that would do this, in response to one of the guys in their crowd harassing a girl, could ever sell out.
   688. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5637995)
Don't be like Andy and confuse time. GNR is decades ago now.

This really needs to be explained?

Never mind that I mentioned half a dozen other artists, all of which came a decade, two decades after GNR...

So you said Jezebel harpies but you meant BLM harpies... fine - same list but remove Kanye West from it.

But whatever - ordinarily, I find punching holes in your stupidity to be good for a lark - but catching someone up on music who think anything peaked 40 years ago is more than I have time for.
   689. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5637996)
So you said Jezebel harpies but you meant BLM harpies... fine - same list but remove Kanye West from it.

Kanye West is subject to different rules. He can say anything he wants. There was a time when elements of Whitey got a bit bent out of shape about stuff like NWA talking about killing cops, but that time has long passed.

And Jezebel harpies would be all over Some Girls, so that's indeed what I meant. It's not just "racist," it's even more "sexist."
   690. Traderdave Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5637997)
I liked him in the Faces, but Ronnie joining the Stones was the beginning of the end. It was like they switched to two rhythm guitarists. Half the songs had those repeated-eighth-note riffs for several albums. Losing Mick Taylor was such a big loss.

the Stones with Wood are perfectly cromulent but so many levels weaker than with Taylor. In baseball terms theyd' be like George Sisler or Ernie Banks or Junior Griffey -- HOFers whose latter careers were decidedly meh.
   691. dlf Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5637998)
When I drove across the border, the guard could not believe that someone was going to Mississippi.

To be fair, neither can most of us. While Jesse's Mississippi You're on My Mind is a great song, don't forget that he left to go to Montreal.
   692. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5637999)

I agree in total.

There's still an awful lot of post-Taylor Stones stuff I love, including some truly great albums (like Some Girls) - but I'd agree that this was where the slide began. Still, that's probably a bit inevitable. I mean, it's a rare, rare, rare artist that can still occasionally find brilliance after a decade or two - never mind three+.
   693. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5638000)
Yes, the middle class is shrinking.

That's a legit data point, but it might help if you'd post another chart that shows what we've paid over that same time period for necessities such as housing, health care and higher education,** also expressed in constant dollars.

** And compare apples to apples, e.g. San Francisco in 1967 vs San Francisco today, and Omaha then vs Omaha now, and not say "Yes, big cities are much more expensive today in real dollars, but you can always move from San Francisco to Waco". Or in the case of higher education, we should compare the real tuition and board at state and private universities then to the same state and private universities today. Just lumping everything together in one megacomparison only takes you so far in grasping the big picture.
   694. Stevey Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5638001)

Yes, the middle class is shrinking.

First conservatives want the middle class to include those who make $450K during their tax cut plan, now they want to mark anyone making over $100K as rich. No cognitive dissonance there.
   695. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5638002)

Kanye West is subject to different rules. He can say anything he wants.

And Jezebel harpies would be all over it, so that's indeed what I meant. It's not just "racist," it's even more "sexist."

I especially don't have time to catch you up if you cannot even decide exactly which boogeyman hiding under your bed is most responsible for your pants wetting.

696. I Am Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5638003)
I especially don't have time to catch you up if you cannot even decide exactly which boogeyman hiding under your bed is most responsible for your pants wetting.

???

Some Girls is both "racist," and "sexist." I never suggested anything else. It would never be released today by a band of white guys.

You could just agree, since you're arguing just to argue. The lyrics hit every modern liberal bugaboo about as dead-on as every modern liberal bugaboo can be hit. (Well, I guess he didn't say anything about Muslim women, but still ....)
   697. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5638004)
When I drove across the border, the guard could not believe that someone was going to Mississippi.

To be fair, neither can most of us. While Jesse's Mississippi You're on My Mind is a great song, don't forget that he left to go to Montreal.

Nina Simone on Mississippi
   698. Omineca Greg Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5638005)

He had a good reason to do that though...and I bet he got less pushback coming to Canada then I did going to Mississippi. Which is remarkable considering the situation. Tell me why you like Lester B?

We had a great trip.
   699. Stevey Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5638006)
but it might help if you'd post another chart that shows what we've paid over that same time period for necessities such as housing, health care and higher education,** also expressed in constant dollars.

As well as how much of a person's retirement money has gone from pension plans to 401k's and other vehicles where the money goes into a person's income first and then they save it, rather than it being saved for them. Getting a $1000 raise now at the expense of losing the NPV of $2000 in retirement looks great on that chart, and awful for the individual.
   700. Graham & the 15-win "ARod Vortex of suck" Posted: March 14, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5638007)
flip
Page 7 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Ray (CTL)
for his generous support.