Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 13, 2017

OTP 13 November 2017: Politics, race now touching every sport

Like legions of Giants fans who hate the Los Angeles Dodgers, Le rooted for the Houston Astros to beat them in the World Series. But he changed his mind, swallowed hard and began cheering for the Dodgers after Yuri Gurriel, a Cuban-born Astro, hit a home run against Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish then was caught on camera pulling the corners of his eyes with his fingers in a racist gesture.

“I couldn’t really be OK with them winning any longer,” Le said of the Astros.

With Gurriel’s gesture, yet another major sporting event in the United States came to be viewed through a prism of race, politics or both.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 13, 2017 at 08:05 AM | 2202 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: astros, dodgers, politics, world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 22 of 23 pages ‹ First  < 20 21 22 23 > 
   2101. Lassus Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:37 AM (#5578750)
I think I preferred the Daily Dershowitz to RMZ.com.
   2102. Omineca Greg Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:38 AM (#5578752)
Man, I love me some Monk. I have worn out Monk's Music (Art Blakely on drums for that, with Coleman Hawkins and John Coltrane on sax!) Straight no Chaser, and Round Midnight, but I really hate those long solos, particularly the drums

Yeah, the long bass and drum solos are an interesting choice. The recording that helped me get into them more is Live At The It Club. When this 1964 show had been originally issued on vinyl in '82, there were tracks left off, and the tracks that were left on had the bass and drum solos for the most part edited out. Then in '98, it was re-issued, and using the extra length that CDs offered, all the long bass/drum solos were left in. At the time, the jazz press was excited that you could hear the music the way Monk had intended it, and they all agreed how much better the record was in its new format. It took some listening on my part, but after a little while, I came to agree with the consensus. Time and pulse are such an important part of Monk, I began to enjoy hearing the pieces stripped down to their skeletons...it offers some insight into how the music comes together. It's not that Riley and Gales are such incredible soloists, although they're plenty good, it's the way they are able to bring out the architecture of the ensemble. But it does make for very long tracks, you have to adjust your expectations.
   2103. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:39 AM (#5578753)
Boston's self titled debut was the first purchase I remember making, and one that meets my criteria for a great album, which means zero tracks I have the urge to skip no matter how many times I listen to them. Most albums have at least one unlistenable song or two, or that starts to grate after three or four times through...
   2104. Lassus Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:39 AM (#5578754)
I have no idea what my first album was, except that it was a cassette.

I do remember that my first CD was Marsalis' Majesty of the Blues based on hearing a friend's cassette and thinking it was a perfect candidate for the first experience of the improved audio quality.
   2105. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:43 AM (#5578757)
I am pretty sure my first album was Breakfast in America by Supertramp. I think it was my first CD as well, but I am less sure of that.
   2106. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:43 AM (#5578758)
Cops posing as drug dealers get into a donnybrook with cops posing as drug buyers. You very much cannot make it up.

Your tax dollars at work:

Detroit police officers fight each other in undercover op gone wrong
By: Taryn Asher

Updated: Nov 13 2017 07:38AM EST

DETROIT (WJBK) - An internal investigation has been launched at the Detroit Police Department after two different precincts got into a turf war as they converged on an east side neighborhood.

Neighbors who live on Andover on Detroit's east side will be the first to tell you this area is known for constant drug activity.

"Definitely a drug problem in our neighbor for years," said one resident, " but I don't think anyone can stop it."
photo

On Thursday Detroit police certainly tried -- but maybe too hard.

Sources say it started when two special ops officers from the 12th Precinct were operating a "push off" on Andover near Seven Mile. That is when two undercover officers pretend to be dope dealers, waiting for eager customers to approach, and then arrest potential buyers and seize their vehicles.

But this time, instead of customers, special ops officers from the 11th Precinct showed up. Not realizing they were fellow officers, they ordered the other undercover officers to the ground.

FOX 2 is told the rest of the special ops team from the 12th Precinct showed up, and officers began raiding a house in the 19300 block of Andover. But instead of fighting crime, officers from both precincts began fighting with each other.

Sources say guns were drawn and punches were thrown while the homeowner stood and watched.

The department's top cops were notified along with Internal Affairs. Each officer involved is now under investigation as the department tried to determine what went wrong.
   2107. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM (#5578759)
Latest Trump tweet: I should have left them in jail

Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!

Your TDS is unlikely to pass. Better seek treatment.
Misirlou posted this story without comment. Evidently Trump doesn't need to be attacked to be supported defended.... TDS indeed ;)
   2108. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM (#5578760)
“Who?” Ball told ESPN on Friday about Trump, who had happily taken credit. “What was he over there for? Don’t tell me nothing. Everybody wants to make it seem like he helped me out.”

Uh ... he did help you out. Quite dramatically, actually.

And so much for "white privilege" by the way. I didn't see any "white" people in the three shoplifters.
   2109. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM (#5578761)
Your TDS is unlikely to pass.

Cockholster gonna cockholster.
   2110. dlf Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM (#5578762)
First record was a 45 of Hot Chocolate's 'You Sexy Thing." First album was "Get the Knack." When I bought my first CD player, I bought three CDs, I can only remember two of them, Pat Metheny's "Song X" and Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here."
   2111. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM (#5578763)
First CD - I remember that very well, too - Yes' 90125. That one was a beast with the volume on 11 ;)
   2112. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 20, 2017 at 11:56 AM (#5578764)
Unclear why Ball's expression of gratefulness would turn on whether Trump went to visit the players in jail. That analysis flowchart is bizarre.

That is kind of weird, but not as weird as Trump's reaction----"I should have left them in jail!"----even though they'd actually thanked him!

Of course since Ball Sr. has more power than the president of the United States, I can see why you'd be concentrating on Ball Sr.'s comment rather than Trump's.
   2113. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:10 PM (#5578769)
Unclear why Ball's expression of gratefulness would turn on whether Trump went to visit the players in jail. That analysis flowchart is bizarre.

That is kind of weird, but not as weird as Trump's reaction----"I should have left them in jail!"----even though they'd actually thanked him!

Trump divides the world into two groups - cockholsters, and The Enemy. Everyone should take a good hard look in the mirror and see where they'd stand.
   2114. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:16 PM (#5578772)

Equally unclear is why Trump thought it a good idea to let three young men serve 5-10 years in prison becuase the father of one of them is an ass.
   2115. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:20 PM (#5578774)
North Korea has a similar concept of hereditary punishment for insufficient deference to Juche. Why wouldn't Trump emulate his authoritarian colleagues in pursuit of his own leadership model, Duche?
   2116. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:21 PM (#5578775)
first album - Quiet Riot's Metal Health - Bang Your Head!
first CD I bought was Jimi Hendrix - Live at Winterland
   2117. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:30 PM (#5578782)
Equally unclear is why Trump thought it a good idea to let three young men serve 5-10 years in prison becuase the father of one of them is an ass.

That's not what Trump said. Trump said he shouldn't have intervened on their behalf if this was the thanks he was going to get from LVB:

Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!

Newsflash: Trump is not China. Trump doesn't decide the punishment for crimes committed in China. Trump was merely trying to help. Anything beyond a thank-you for him doing so is TDS.
   2118. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM (#5578784)
First album, Climax Blues Band Live FM (on the recommendation of my older brother).
First CD, Joe Jackson Night and Day
   2119. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM (#5578785)
That's not what Trump said. Trump said he shouldn't have intervened on their behalf if this was the thanks he was going to get from LVB:

Exactly my point. This shows about as clear as possible what an incredibly small and petty person your president is. He initially did a good thing intervening to get three young US citizens out of a very tight situation, and now he's saying he shouldn't have done it because the father of one of them is an ass.

As they say, not a good look.
   2120. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:41 PM (#5578786)
Trump doesn't decide the punishment for crimes committed in China. Trump was merely trying to help. Anything beyond a thank-you for him doing so is TDS.

If Trump thought it a good idea to intervene, and it was, then it's still a good idea even if the father of one of them turned out to be ungrateful. Most humans understand this.
   2121. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:41 PM (#5578787)
I’ve lived through the presidency’s of Clinton, Bush and Obama and I can’t remember a single instance of any of them targeting a private citizen or demanding thanks, like Trump has. But Ray gotta be Ray.
   2122. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM (#5578789)
I’ve lived through the presidency’s of Clinton, Bush and Obama and I can’t remember a single instance of any of them targeting a private citizen or demanding thanks, like Trump has. But Ray gotta be Ray.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for me."
   2123. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:44 PM (#5578791)
now he's saying he shouldn't have done it because the father of one of them is an ass.

I wonder if this is going to impact the deals offered to Donnie Jr and Eric.
   2124. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:44 PM (#5578793)
Trump writes a big check to a vet, usual suspects whine and complain.

Trump gets three American multiple shoplifters released from Chinese custody quickly and without condition, usual suspects whine and complain.

The pattern is clear here. It sketches the letters T-D-S.
   2125. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:45 PM (#5578794)
Newsflash: Trump is not China. Trump doesn't decide the punishment for crimes committed in China. Trump was merely trying to help. Anything beyond a thank-you for him doing so is TDS.

Newsflash! No one is criticizing Trump "trying to help". People are criticizing Trump's comments on the situation after the fact. You realize there is a difference, right?

What Trump did was fine. What Trump has said since is ... well typically Trump. Note also, I am not criticizing Trump for what he said, mostly just correcting you. Of course the only reason I am not criticizing Trump is my long standing policy of trying to ignore what Trump says in favor of what he actually does.
   2126. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:46 PM (#5578795)
Trump writes a big check to a vet after being shamed for promising and then failing to do so, usual suspects whine and complain.

Trump gets three American multiple shoplifters released from Chinese custody quickly and without condition before saying it was a mistake because an uninvolved third party wasn't sufficiently appreciative, usual suspects whine and complain.

The pattern is clear here. It sketches the letters T-D-S.

The Declown's Stupidity?
   2127. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5578797)
Trump writes a big check to a vet, usual suspects whine and complain.

Trump gets three American multiple shoplifters released from Chinese custody quickly and without condition, usual suspects whine and complain.

Of course neither of these things are true, but carry on.
   2128. Lassus Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:50 PM (#5578801)

This is why you are solely entertainment.
   2129. spycake Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:52 PM (#5578802)

The "usual suspects whining" seems to include Trump himself.
   2130. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5578803)
Wow, did I miss youse guyzzzz....
   2131. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM (#5578806)
If Trump thought it a good idea to intervene, and it was, then it's still a good idea even if the father of one of them turned out to be ungrateful. Most humans understand this.

Most humans also understand that if you're an ass to a person who helped you the person may decide it wasn't worth it to help you.
   2132. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:58 PM (#5578807)

I think what he did was fine. His comments could have been better. First the 3 thanked him. Only the father of one of them made a comment. Trump could have said something like "I am sure the father would have been happier if I hadn't done anything and he was still rotting in jail. I am glad that all three are back in the USA."
   2133. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:01 PM (#5578809)
This is just completely weird. The dad is nothing but a WWE-style marketing shill, doing whatever he can to keep his sons' names in the news, for any reason. It's shallow and hokey, but it's a consistent gig he's had for over a year now. *HE* rags on Trump, and somehow SBB (and, to a lesser extent, Ray) think that posters *here* are piling on? As wise men have said, reading comprehension is key.

Trump is a gasbag, but in this particular exchange he has the moral high ground, such as it is. He's sitting on the head of someone lying facedown in the mud, but still, "high ground" is relative.
   2134. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:03 PM (#5578810)
Oh and first album(s) bought were The Beatles 1962-66 & 1967-70 aka the "red" & the "blue" albums.

1st CD bought was Graceland, by Paul Simon.
   2135. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:05 PM (#5578814)
Most humans also understand that if you're an ass to a person who helped you the person may decide it wasn't worth it to help you.
Well, some might say that being helpful is its own reward, but it doesn't seem likely that you're in that camp :)

Setting that aside, he was helpful (legitimately) to the three players. The *dad* is the ass. Trump is perfectly justified in calling out the ass, even though it's completely weird that the office of POTUS has been reduced to such things. Wishing retroactive pain and suffering on the three players who did actually go out of their way to thank Trump is a bit... Trumpish. But whatever.
   2136. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:05 PM (#5578817)

Only small and petty people think it's OK to base a decision to do a good deed on how much praise or criticism one is to get from third parties. Are you a small and petty person?

Also, LaVar ball was not in jail. LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley, and Jalen Hill were, and as far as I know, not only have none of them criticized trump, all three thanked him, admittedly after trump all but demanded they do so, but nonetheless.
   2137. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:10 PM (#5578818)

Most humans would have chalked it up to "live and learn," or "once bitten..." or some such other cliché, or vented privately and moved on.

But as we know so well by now, POTUS is not most humans...
   2138. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:13 PM (#5578820)
Only small and petty people think it's OK to base a decision to do a good deed on how much praise or criticism one is to get from third parties. Are you a small and petty person?

Also, LaVar ball was not in jail. LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley, and Jalen Hill were, and as far as I know, not only have none of them criticized trump, all three thanked him, admittedly after trump all but demanded they do so, but nonetheless.

Nonetheless that's all irrelevant to Ray's preferred narrative about liberals, which is all you really need to know about Ray.
   2139. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:16 PM (#5578821)
David Cassidy in hospital near death. He was not the first album that I bought (nor was The Partridge Family)

I think it was either Breakfast in America or Pretenders.

First CD no clue.
   2140. madvillain Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:18 PM (#5578823)
The ads on mobile make this site basically unreadable FWIW.
   2141. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:25 PM (#5578825)

You've perfectly encapsulated why he shouldn't be President while simultaneously layering on the irony of the impetus you ascribe to all politicians that makes them so awful.

2142. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:25 PM (#5578826)
First CDs: Appetite For Destruction & Piece of Mind

first CD I bought was Jimi Hendrix - Live at Winterland

I love the hell out of Mitch Mitchell, but boy-oh-boy, talk about someone who needed their drum solos edited out ... a trashcan filled with china and thrown down a flight of stairs would have more coherence ...
   2143. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:28 PM (#5578829)
   2144. Random Transaction Generator Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:29 PM (#5578830)
The first CD I bought was Monty Python's "The Final Ripoff".
(It's also the first one I ripped into digital format because the CD was starting to "brown" pretty quickly back in 2000.)

The first MUSIC CD I bought was Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet", followed quickly by "Depeche Mode 101".
   2145. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:35 PM (#5578835)
David Cassidy in hospital near death. He was not the first album that I bought (nor was The Partridge Family)

Reportedly, so is the WWF's Kamala. Who once released an album ambitiously called "The Best of Kamala, Vol. 1." I have to imagine that anyone who listened to it is also in critical condition.

Also, RIP to Della Reese, fight doctor Ferdie Pacheco and M-M-Mel Tillis.
   2146. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:37 PM (#5578837)
The ads on mobile make this site basically unreadable FWIW.

On my kindle, the pages keeps going back to the top. I can't use it on that.
   2147. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:41 PM (#5578840)
Donald Trump and LaVar Ball are perfect for each other

The celebrity beef between Donald Trump and LaVar Ball was the most predictable thing in the world.

The difference is this one features an international diplomatic incident and Donald Trump just happens to be President.

Trump on Lavar Ball's remarks: 'I should have left them in jail!'

Quick recap: Ball's son was among three UCLA students who now admit to shoplifting sunglasses from a Louis Vuitton store in Hangzhou, China. Trump, who was in China at the time, claimed credit for getting Chinese President Xi Jinping to let them out and helping them avoid years in jail. He demanded an apology on Twitter. He got an apology during a news conference featuring the players, who have since been suspended by UCLA. From the beginning, Ball had said the charges were no big deal. Then over the weekend Ball questioned Trump's role in getting them out. Now Trump says he should have left them in jail. And so on.

This type of controversy is like oxygen for both of these men.

Good riddance to both of them.

Well, a guy can hope, can't he?
   2148. madvillain Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:46 PM (#5578845)
On my kindle, the pages keeps going back to the top. I can't use it on that.

It's that way on both my Fire devices. It's not a scaling issue seemingly -- it's a shitty ad issue. I'm not even sure the brand of the car just that it's a generic ass SUV looking thing and I can't close the ad.
   2149. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:47 PM (#5578846)

New sexual harassment video emerges of Al Franken's victim on a USO tour.

Obviously Williams was so damaged by the encounter he eventually hanged himslf.
   2150. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:53 PM (#5578849)
David Cassidy in hospital near death.
Danny Bonaduce is the morning drive DJ for a classic rock station in Seattle; he's mentioned that Cassidy has been battling dementia for awhile. I would not have given odds that Danny would outlive two of his Partridge siblings (he wouldn't have, either), but life is funny sometimes. In other news, I saw an ad that said what Susan Dey looks like now would amaze me, but I didn't fall for it.
   2151. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:54 PM (#5578850)
Isn't it part of the POTUS's job to get citizens back from foreign jails, especially hell holes like Chinese jails?
   2152. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:54 PM (#5578852)
Cassidy has been battling dementia for awhile.

Malcolm Young, too.
   2153. aberg Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:56 PM (#5578853)
Reportedly, so is the WWF's Kamala. Who once released an album ambitiously called "The Best of Kamala, Vol. 1." I have to imagine that anyone who listened to it is also in critical condition.

Poor Kamala. He has been in and out of hospitals due to complications from (I think) diabetes for years. I also believe he lost a leg a few years ago. I heard Steve Austin interview him and he was very upbeat, engaging, and had some great stories about old Memphis wrestling.

His real name is James Harris and he originally wrestled under the name Sugar Bear Harris. Obviously, he eventually became known as Kamala much better than any other name. In short, he is named Kamala Harris. The real Kamala Harris.
   2154. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:59 PM (#5578856)
In short, he is named Kamala Harris. The real Kamala Harris.

A joke that never gets old to me when quipping that the California politician is remarkably articulate for a Ugandan savage.
   2155. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:04 PM (#5578863)
But purely on a musical level, Kamala Harris is no Gov. Scott Walker, Rep. Joe "You lie!" Walsh, Sen. Paul Simon or Gov. George Clinton.
   2156. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:19 PM (#5578869)
I’ve lived through the presidency’s of Clinton, Bush and Obama and I can’t remember a single instance of any of them targeting a private citizen

Trump himself was
targeted by Obama
and the press corps for the birther stuff. That WHCD may have played some part in Trump's decision to run.

Real funny stuff at the link. Particularly the part about challenging the integrity of an election.
   2157. BDC Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:19 PM (#5578870)
I am not sure what album I first bought with my own money. My father had quite a few LPs that became mine by osmosis (including the White Album and Joan Baez/5). I still share a lot of his musical tastes (showtunes and standards, and folk/country that resembles them or that they resemble). But I seem to remember that the first I bought as mine was Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, and like gef I did really like Cecilia.
   2158. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:21 PM (#5578872)
Isn't it part of the POTUS's job to get citizens back from foreign jails, especially hell holes like Chinese jails?
I know past POTUSs have at times done this sort of thing, but usually not quite the same way. I highly doubt a POTUS gets involved unless there are some special circumstances (like, famous perps, or unusual media coverage). There's probably thousands of American citizens in foreign jails at any given moment, usually deserved. For that matter, these guys did apparently commit the crime. In China. Which means they're a special kind of stupid, if you ask me.

This would *probably* have been dealt with by a Junior Undersecretary or something, except Trump just happened to be in China at the time, which was convenient. Given the latest press about how Russia and China "play" Trump, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Xi or whomever said, "Sure, hell, let the guys go, Trump will probably think we're respecting him or something, and we will have a Get Out Of Nuking Taiwan Free card. Heh-heh." Because that's about how Big Orange rolls.

That all being said, it was good of Trump to take advantage of the marketing opportunity when he saw it. Clearly he wasn't paying any attention to Senate races that, you know, might just lose the GOP a seat.
   2159. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:27 PM (#5578873)

My first tape was Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet". I think my first CD was Vanilla Ice, "To The Extreme".
   2160. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:30 PM (#5578878)
, it was good of Trump to take advantage of the marketing opportunity when he saw it

Trump breathes on media oxygen. Plus he'll always strime back at a perceived public attack.

To state the obvious, Trump would never be Prez if he switched personalities with Jeb Bush. Or played by the standard playbook.
   2161. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:32 PM (#5578879)
2143. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:28 PM (#5578829)
New sexual harassment video emerges of Al Franken's victim on a USO tour.

Tweeden embracing Robin Williams on stage doesn't mean that she consented to Franken's kiss or his groping while she was asleep. What next a picture of Tweeden in a short skirt?
   2162. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:33 PM (#5578880)
Can't remember first CD. Possibly Smashing Pumpkins' MCATIS.

I still have OK Computer on cassette.
   2163. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:36 PM (#5578883)
Tweeden embracing Robin Williams on stage doesn't mean that she consented to Franken's kiss or his groping while she was asleep.

But it does point to the fact such things are a part of a USO tour. Plus Robin Williams was so much funnier, successful, and better looking.
   2164. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:41 PM (#5578888)
Tweeden embracing Robin Williams on stage doesn't mean that she consented to Franken's kiss or his groping while she was asleep. What next a picture of Tweeden in a short skirt?

Aggressively embracing his groin with her leg. You must have some fun family reunions. I guess some here may have shifting standards for what constitutes consent, perhaps applying a retrospective double standard for women, if so, not a good look, what if Franken had wrapped his leg, hmmm, etc and so on.
   2165. Lassus Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:44 PM (#5578890)
Trump would never be Prez if he switched personalities with Jeb Bush. Or played by the standard playbook.

Because 60-odd million Americans like you love assholes.
   2166. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:51 PM (#5578893)

Because 60-odd million people like you love ########.

In what universe is John McCain not an #######? Plus you're one of a large group here raised Catholic, correct?

I certainly don't disagree regarding human nature, though I prefer Dostoevsky's take. Being a Russian and all.
   2167. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:51 PM (#5578894)
Aggressively embracing his groin with her leg. You must have some fun family reunions. I guess some here may have shifting standards for what constitutes consent, perhaps applying a retrospective double standard for women, if so, not a good look, what if Franken had wrapped his leg, hmmm, etc and so on.

And then she whacks him square on the ass with her hand.

Did he consent?
   2168. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:53 PM (#5578896)
Tweeden embracing Robin Williams on stage doesn't mean that she consented to Franken's kiss or his groping while she was asleep.

Did Williams consent to having his leg dry humped and his ass swatted? What if Williams had grabbed her hips from behind and did a couple of pelvic thrusts? Would that have been OK too?

I doubt Franked actually groped her in that photo. Had he done anything more than the lightest touch, he risks waking her up. He's most likely not touching her, but merely pretending to for the photo. Not that there's anything right with that.
   2169. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:54 PM (#5578898)
The photo was staged. The second guy "sleeping" -- also in full military garb -- is the clear tell.
   2170. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:54 PM (#5578899)

Are you really going there? Are Monica Lewinsky's kneepads next?

Not that I don't agree that relations between the sexes are many times more complicated than the current moral panic will allow.
   2171. Lassus Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:55 PM (#5578900)
I cannot get behind the usage of Tweeden's video clip above in relation to her accusation of Franken, justified or not.
   2172. dog poop god Posted: November 20, 2017 at 02:57 PM (#5578902)
Hahahahahahaha. Politics as usual.

I'll be back under a different guise. Gonna be hard swearing off assholism, though.
   2173. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:08 PM (#5578907)

Consenting to something with X, does not imply consenting to something different with Y. That's pretty basic. Trying to shame Tweeden because she had the gall to call out Franken isn't a good look. Notice the smarter types aren't doing so?
   2174. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:12 PM (#5578909)
Yeah, Tweeden slapping Robin Williams on the ass has nothing to do with whether or not Franken shoved his tongue down her throat in rehearsal or groped her in the photo. Similarly, I’d seen some people sharing pictures of her on the cover of Playboy, which again is not relevant. As for whether Franken should resign, I don’t have a strong opinion. It came out today that he also grabbed a woman’s butt taking a picture at the fair. I’m guessing that behind the scenes, a lot of Congress doesn’t want him to resign for a simple reason: if grabbing a woman’s butt or putting a tongue in her mouth without consent is enough to end a career, then there’s likely around 50-100 members of Congress who are terrified that they’ll be the next one revealed.
   2175. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:12 PM (#5578910)
Tweeden "consented" to joke-molesting Williams, says one of the smarter types.
   2176. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:12 PM (#5578911)

Being the President of the United States involves acting in the best interest of Americans who are jerks to you, even if it would be much more satisfying to tell them to #### off and then leave them to their own devices. If Trump wasn't willing and able to do that, he shouldn't have run for President, because that's just the nature of the job.
   2177. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:12 PM (#5578912)
Hilarious.

Now, let’s stipulate that the President is a dope, many of his top aides are dopes and Jared Kushner has no business being in any position in government at all.

But there’s a detail here that seems pretty germane to understanding the story.

McMaster was brought in to clean up the Mike Flynn mess and over time he fired most or maybe now all the Flynn loyalists as his power in the job grew. Public reports suggest that his biggest and most consistent antagonist was a Flynn protege named Ezra Cohen-Watnick, a guy who seems to have worked with Rep. Devin Nunes in Nunes’ ‘unmasking’ escapade. McMaster tried to fire him shortly after he took over from Flynn but was blocked by Kushner and Bannon.

Finally, in early August, McMaster canned Cohen-Watnick.

So where did Cohen-Watnick land after finally getting bounced from the National Security Council? Funny you’d ask! He went to work in the DC office of Oracle.

To be clear, this doesn’t mean the report is not true. I suspect something like it is true. It may be verbatim true. Who knows? But you will not convince me that Cohen-Watnick’s now working in a high level position Oracle’s DC office (which is to say it’s lobbying office) is not directly related to this story coming about. Indeed, I’m surprised the Cohen-Watnick feud and his current employment at Oracle did not come up in the Buzzfeed article.

2178. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:15 PM (#5578913)
Consenting to something with X, does not imply consenting to something different with Y. That's pretty basic. Trying to shame Tweeden because she had the gall to call out Franken isn't a good look

Know what else isn't a good luck?

The likes of you pretending you give a #### beyond the Franken (D).

Do you honestly think there's anybody that is unaware of your approach?
   2179. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:20 PM (#5578918)
I find it at least a little bit amusing that in the wake of the McMaster story, there are all kinds of denials about him describing Trump in those terms at that event, but hardly anybody seems to disagree with the alleged characterization.
   2180. PreservedFish Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:23 PM (#5578920)
Sorry, Yankee Clapper can't hear you, he's back on his high horse, scanning the horizon for judicial appointments.
   2181. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:26 PM (#5578923)
I am reserving judgment on Al Franken until we learn whether he signed any yearbooks.
   2182. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:36 PM (#5578928)
First album: Star Wars soundtrack
First cassette: Tears for Fears
First CD: Zeppelin box set
   2183. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 20, 2017 at 03:45 PM (#5578933)
Being the President of the United States involves acting in the best interest of Americans who are jerks to you, even if it would be much more satisfying to tell them to #### off and then leave them to their own devices. If Trump wasn't willing and able to do that, he shouldn't have run for President, because that's just the nature of the job.

Agree. Though there's a counterpoint that during his campaign he showed beyond a reasonable doubt that he wasn't willing and able to do that, but people still voted for him anyway.
   2184. madvillain Posted: November 20, 2017 at 04:26 PM (#5578952)
I think McMaster went easy on him personally -- the POTUS is more on a pre-school level.

edit: half a coke to zonk
   2185. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 20, 2017 at 04:45 PM (#5578968)
the POTUS is more on a pre-school level

Disagree. POTUS has the mental maturity of a typical third grader. Example: calling Kim Jong Un "short and fat" and then saying he's trying so hard to be his friend is the sort of thing that third graders say, not so much preschoolers.
   2186. The Good Face Posted: November 20, 2017 at 04:49 PM (#5578972)
I think McMaster went easy on him personally -- the POTUS is more on a pre-school level.

I'm curious how much of this is just virtue signaling (hurr, hurr, look how dumb Trump is! amirite or what?) and how much you actually believe it. Because if Trump was half as stupid as you seem to think he is, don't you think he would have long since been parted from his money by smarter, more capable businessmen (or just outright con men)? It's not like he's some kindly, universally beloved figure that nobody could bear to take advantage of...
   2187. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 04:51 PM (#5578973)
Sorry, Yankee Clapper can't hear you, he's back on his high horse, scanning the horizon for judicial appointments.
And to no one's surprise, mirroring the YC guiding principle of "sure, I'll tolerate any embarrassment necessary to further my own agenda," our WH press has gotten as close to endorsing Moore as it will get:
"Obviously the president wants people both in the House and the Senate that support his agenda," Sanders said Monday in the White House press briefing.

"The president feels that it’s up to the people of Alabama to make that determination of who their representative will be," Sanders said.
IOW, Moore may be a pervert, but he's a pervert with an R, not like that Franken fella.
   2188. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 20, 2017 at 04:59 PM (#5578979)
Eight women say Charlie Rose sexually harassed them. Walking around naked seems like one of his go-to moves. Earlier today the New York Times suspended White House correspondent Glenn Thrush for somewhat similar behavior, mostly while he was employed at Politico before joining the Times. Why is the news business such a cesspit of sexism and boorish behavior?
   2189. Srul Itza Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:07 PM (#5578987)
So, anyone remember their first 45? Their first 8 Track Tape?

We actually had some 78 RPM's in the attic growing up.

Not that I remember any of them, although I think my first 45 may have been Hey Jude/Revolution. My brother was more into 8 tracks, for the player in his car.
   2190. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:07 PM (#5578988)
Glenn Thrush is the journaist Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer picked on in that first SNL appearance.
   2191. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:08 PM (#5578992)
New thread is up and running.
   2192. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:09 PM (#5578994)
Eight women say Charlie Rose sexually harassed them. Walking around naked seems like one of his go-to moves. Earlier today the New York Times suspended White House correspondent Glenn Thrush for somewhat similar behavior, mostly while he was employed at Politico before joining the Times. Why is the news business such a cesspit of sexism and boorish behavior?

Reminds me of the SNL skit of the Clarence Thomas hearings.

SNL skit
   2193. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:09 PM (#5578995)
Did Williams consent to having his leg dry humped and his ass swatted? What if Williams had grabbed her hips from behind and did a couple of pelvic thrusts? Would that have been OK too?

Lol. Equating sexual assault of males to sexual assault of females in order to win a tiny piece of the argument is...... not a good look.
   2194. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:10 PM (#5578997)
Reminds me of the SNL skit of the Clarence Thomas hearings.

IIRC, Al Franken played Sen Paul Simon in that one did he not?

Circle of life.
   2195. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:12 PM (#5578998)
Also, RIP to Della Reese,

I always got her confused with the Where in the world is Carmen San Diego host (not that I ever watched an episode), and thought she passed away over a decade ago.
   2196. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:12 PM (#5579000)
IIRC, Al Franken played Sen Paul Simon in that one did he not?

Yes he did.
   2197. PepTech Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:13 PM (#5579001)
I don't remember my first 45, but I do remember that I had one for Animotion - Obsession. Yikes. That had to be near the end of the medium.

I was just a bit young for 8-tracks, but my sister had the best of bread.
   2198. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:15 PM (#5579004)

But it does point to the fact such things are a part of a USO tour.

How many guys like Franken go on these USO tours because good looking women are also on them? Get away from their wives for a few weeks, stick their tongue down a few girls' throats and see if they can get one of the girls into bed.

That seems to have been Franken's plan.
   2199. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:17 PM (#5579007)
I cannot get behind the usage of Tweeden's video clip above in relation to her accusation of Franken, justified or not.

No sane and intellectually honest person would.
   2200. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 20, 2017 at 05:17 PM (#5579008)
Lol. Equating sexual assault of males to sexual assault of females in order to win a tiny piece of the argument is...... not a good look.

Lol. Equating boorish behavior of loudmouth nobodies with that of the POTUS in order to do whatever it is you do......is also not a good look.

I wasn't equating anything. Merely pushing back against what is rapidly becoming my most detested practice here: Minimizing or maximizing (which ever suits the argument) someone's behavior to absurd levels in order to make some gotcha point. No, dry humping Robin Williams's leg and swatting him on the ass is not as bad as what Franked is alleged to have done, but neither was it merely embracing him.
Page 22 of 23 pages ‹ First  < 20 21 22 23 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Andere Richtingen
for his generous support.