Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 13, 2017

OTP 13 November 2017: Politics, race now touching every sport

Like legions of Giants fans who hate the Los Angeles Dodgers, Le rooted for the Houston Astros to beat them in the World Series. But he changed his mind, swallowed hard and began cheering for the Dodgers after Yuri Gurriel, a Cuban-born Astro, hit a home run against Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish then was caught on camera pulling the corners of his eyes with his fingers in a racist gesture.

“I couldn’t really be OK with them winning any longer,” Le said of the Astros.

With Gurriel’s gesture, yet another major sporting event in the United States came to be viewed through a prism of race, politics or both.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 13, 2017 at 08:05 AM | 1980 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: astros, dodgers, politics, world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 20 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   701. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:37 PM (#5576225)

The part after 'therefore' does not follow logically from the part before it.

OK, then put an "inherent" between "alleged" and "power."
Ok, then nobody here has alleged any such thing.
   702. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:38 PM (#5576227)
Whatever the opposite of a controversialist is, that's Seinfeld.

I dunno, man. Bee Movie was pretty groundbreaking for its positive depiction of an inter-species relationship.
   703. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:40 PM (#5576229)
Re: #696:
An even worse worst case is that Roy Moore is elected, proceeds to Roy Moore up the Senate and the party for three years, and stars as a toxic dead weight for the GOP's (and Trump)'s 2020 ambitions.
   704. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:41 PM (#5576230)
Best case for the R's is that Moore wins and he gets unseated, the Governor reappoints Strange and they hold a do-over special election. Worst case is that they are one vote down for three years.

It sort of depends on how much the bad PR from this extends to other GOP politicians both within and outside of Alabama. If everyone sees this as just one bad guy then yeah, but if this sticks at all to others in the GOP for any reason then there are additional downsides. It also has the chance of exacerbating the GOP civil war, since Moore and Mitch McConnell were already at each other's throats, many on the Moore side might take umbrage at your best case which could hurt the GOP.

Basically this is varying degrees of bad for the GOP during a month when they really wanted to focus on cutting taxes for the rich.
   705. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:45 PM (#5576231)
I don't see the Moore analogy.

I didn't mention Seinfeld in relation to Moore, but to the comment made about David Letterman's sexual relationships with the interns on his show deserving another look under current standards. Seinfeld seemed like another show-business example, but apparently current standards are not quite what was suggested here earlier.
   706. Hot Wheeling American Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:46 PM (#5576232)
An even worse worst case is that Roy Moore is elected, proceeds to Roy Moore up the Senate and the party for three years, and stars as a toxic dead weight for the GOP's (and Trump)'s 2020 ambitions.

But, and stay with me on this, what if I told you about voting on judges?
   707. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:47 PM (#5576233)
Hi-larious

Gary Cohn had an awkward moment when CEOs appeared to shoot down one of the biggest arguments for the GOP tax plan

At a meeting of The Wall Street Journal's CEO Council, an interview with Cohn — the National Economic Council director who previously worked as an executive at Goldman Sachs — prompted discussion about the amount of investment the GOP tax bill, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, would generate.

Republicans and the Trump administration have argued that tax cuts for businesses would lead companies to investment more and raise wages for workers.

The moderator then asked those in attendance whether they were planning to increase their business investment if the tax bill became law. The CEOs in attendance did not seem to be on the same wavelength as Cohn.

While there was a smattering of raised hands in the auditorium, it was clearly not as many as Cohn would have liked.

"Why aren't the other hands up?" Cohn asked before moving on to another question.

This administration is economically illiterate. Business don't increase investment (nor raise wages) simply becuase their taxes go down. They do both when the market demands it, and it makes economic sense to do so regardless of the tax situation.
   708. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:47 PM (#5576234)
If I didn't know better, I'd almost say Clapper doesn't really give a ####.

Well, it is a 'safe' Republican seat so I could see the unfairness of having an 'October surprise' like this lose a seat for the R's for 3 years. What I am hearing is the best strategy for this Jones guy is to lay low and not say anything... just attract the anti-Moore vote. Even if he does win, he has almost no hope of winning reelection in 2020.

Best case for the R's is that Moore wins and he gets unseated, the Governor reappoints Strange and they hold a do-over special election. Worst case is that they are one vote down for three years.

Meh - Chicago's lakefront liberals survived 2 years with an anti-choice, pro-gun, against everything/for nothing congressman after Rosty's downfall... Of course, they replaced him next cycle with Blago, so maybe that's not the best counter :-).

Regardless, these things -- in the long circle of civilization - inevitably run in cycles. Lord knows the Democrats long leaned on out-and-out racists that were shitbags even with the benefit of historical context last century.

The problem is -- at least, unless you're going the Ray route of truly not caring beyond scoreboard pointing -- there's always gonna be a reckoning one way or another. You can only hug the deplorables tighter for so long until it becomes worth reflecting on whether the big tent has simply become too big.
   709. dlf Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:51 PM (#5576235)

Mentioned up-thread, but Alabama has one case in my memory where the voters' will at the ballot box was set aside by a non-electoral process. Through the mid-80s, Alabama remained a one-party state with the D's holding every elected state-wide office and nearly every national position. Then in, I think, 1986, the D primary for Governor was hotly contested, ended up in court, and the state Supreme Court ruled, in its infinite wisdom, that the D's could either set aside their primary and hold a do-over, or they could nominate the person who finished second. The party selected the #2. The battle went back and forth so long and was so ugly that Guy Hunt, am Amway salesman with no following and no charisma, pulled an upset and became the first R Governor since Reconstruction.

I certainly don't think that the Baxley - Graddick battles were the only thing causing Alabama to become fairly solidly R, but it didn't help the D's long-term goals in the state and was the tipping point when it occured. But if there is a long, protracted battle between Moore and the GOPe, it could hold down vote totals and, if a Don Seigelman can be elected Governor there recently, other D's could slip through.
   710. bunyon Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:53 PM (#5576237)
BUT HER FATHER'S THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!!!!!!!

Um, dude, I don't think that's her dad.
   711. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:55 PM (#5576238)
This sounds familiar (him saying that he doesn't play colleges, I forget the reasoning he gave). I can't imagine Seinfeld has a tremendous university-student following anyway. His humour is of another age. Which I don't necessarily mean as a criticism, but Seinfeld is a very technical joke-smith in a sense that looks incredibly old fashioned in today's comedy world.

Truth be told - was his comedy ever really that good to begin with?

I did see his standup once -- it was before his show took off, so I'm in the clear! -- but it wasn't all that great... though what do I know, best standup comic I ever saw? Rick Ducommun.

But he was the straight guy in Seinfeld... Jason Alexander was easily the best part of Seinfeld, I think - especially/amplified by her wonderful turn in Veep makes it clear Julia Louis-Dreyfus was the most talented, Michael Richards dosage was just about right to make the most of his slapstick, and Larry David was pretty much the comic genius behind it all. Jerry was pretty much the perfect sounding board for it all to play off of.
   712. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:58 PM (#5576239)
But he was the straight guy in Seinfeld.
NTTAWWT.
   713. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:04 PM (#5576240)
"Seinfeld" is a great, great show. Seinfeld is a good, good standup. There's something antiseptic about his act, and the bulk of it is didja ever notice didja ever notice didja ever notice, but the best of his material is very strong. He was absolutely not "the straight guy" on his sitcom. He's the head sardonic observer. The cool one (in the temperature sense) in a group of sardonic observers.
   714. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:10 PM (#5576243)
But he was the straight guy in Seinfeld.
NTTAWWT.

Indeed...

I'm trying to parse my near-encyclopedic memory of Seinfeld episodes where the "Jerry" storyline was the best part of the episode and I'm coming up blank - or to be more precise, an episode where's Jerry's specific role in the Jerry storyline was the best part. I mean, the soup nazi doesn't work without the soup nazi.

Not that this list is definitive, but just to pick out a random top 25 episodes list....

The Chicken Roaster is probably a good Jerry (though the best scene is Newman's VIIIILLLEEEE WEED!)

The Puffy shirt probably qualifies (though, IDK... George the hand model? Still... but I dont wanna be a pirate!)

Yada yada for the anti-dentite stuff maybe.
   715. madvillain Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:13 PM (#5576244)
He's the head sardonic observer. The cool one (in the temperature sense) in a group of sardonic observers.

I'd pay to see him edited out of Seinfeld. He is by far my least favorite character.
   716. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:15 PM (#5576245)
They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Republicans are taking another run at the Affordable Care Act as part of their overhaul of the tax code.

Bowing to pressure from President Trump, Senate leaders announced on Tuesday afternoon that they would add the repeal of Obamacare’s individual insurance mandate to the far-reaching tax bill they unveiled last week. It’s a high-risk, high-reward maneuver for the GOP, which has struck out in its previous attempts to dismantle the health law. If successful, the move could be a two-for-the-price-of-one policy victory for a party desperate to energize its voters heading into a difficult campaign year. But GOP leaders have previously warned that it could backfire, jeopardizing complicated negotiations over a tax bill and compounding what is already a heavy political lift.

The Atlantic
   717. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:16 PM (#5576246)
I'd pay to see him edited out of Seinfeld. He is by far my least favorite character.

Seinfeld without Seinfeld? Intriguing.
   718. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:17 PM (#5576247)

Hmmm... well, a show about nothing might appropriately be called .
   719. Hot Wheeling American Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:18 PM (#5576248)
e's the head sardonic observer. The cool one (in the temperature sense) in a group of sardonic observers.

Even Steven!
   720. spycake Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:18 PM (#5576249)

Garfield Minus Garfield
   721. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:19 PM (#5576250)
Seinfeld is a very technical joke-smith in a sense that looks incredibly old fashioned in today's comedy world.

I know what you mean, but I'd wager most comedy is incredibly crafted regardless. The spontaneous laugh has a lot of work behind it.
   722. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:20 PM (#5576251)
The show was never about nothing. People saying that think they're being witty but the comment actually makes absolutely no sense.

If Seinfeld was about nothing then so too was any sitcom ever created.
   723. Hot Wheeling American Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:20 PM (#5576254)
Guy Hunt, am Amway salesman with no following and no charisma

Can even the polarized pages of BBTF OTP be united in its hatred of Amway? Or are any of the deplorables here following the plan * and working a 'six Saturdays and a Sunday' lifestyle?

*the plan, as I understand it, amounts to harassing everyone you know about buying Amway branded products
   724. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:21 PM (#5576255)
This administration is economically illiterate. Business don't increase investment (nor raise wages) simply becuase their taxes go down. They do both when the market demands it, and it makes economic sense to do so regardless of the tax situation.
Yeah, that was a pretty dumb question for someone with a background in corporate finance to ask. Have to assume he simply didn't think it through.
   725. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:24 PM (#5576257)
Can even the polarized pages of BBTF OTP be united in its hatred of Amway? Or are any of the deplorables here following the plan * and working a 'six Saturdays and a Sunday' lifestyle?
Most of the deplorables in my area have moved on to LuLaRoe.
   726. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:27 PM (#5576258)

*the plan, as I understand it, amounts to harassing everyone you know about buying Amway branded products

Are you unfamiliar with the current Secretary of Education?
   727. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:27 PM (#5576259)
The show was never about nothing. People saying that think they're being witty but the comment actually makes absolutely no sense.

Only its creators.
   728. BrianBrianson Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:27 PM (#5576260)
No - they're supposed to know to lie and say it'll help. How is the administration going to sell a tax cut when they know it'll slow the economy and hurt wages?
   729. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:29 PM (#5576261)

Either that or they're, you know... familiar with one of the show's most prominent and long-running storylines, often hinted, then explicitly used as the backdrop for George & Jerry's on again/off again sitcom.
   730. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:31 PM (#5576262)
There are other right-wing figures who made their bones in the multi-level marketing biz as well - for example, Jason Chaffetz was part of a similar scheme called Nu Skin for more than a decade.
   731. Omineca Greg Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:34 PM (#5576264)
Garfield Minus Garfield

My son showed me that. I think it's brilliant.
   732. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:34 PM (#5576265)
Can even the polarized pages of BBTF OTP be united in its hatred of Amway?

Stephen Butterfield wrote the book on Amway.

Wrote an even better one about his time in Boulder following Chogyam Trungpa.
   733. madvillain Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:35 PM (#5576266)
Are you unfamiliar with the current Secretary of Education?

I went to college with a kid whose dad was an Amway employee. His family was pretty rich and I couldn't square it away until someone informed me he wasn't one of the people that sells the ####. He was "corporate Amway". God W. MI sure can turn out some odd, rich, conservatives. Between the Devos family and Erik Prince and the Van Andels there's enough crazy there for the rest of the state, which thankfully doesn't seem to turn them out with such regularity.
   734. BrianBrianson Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:37 PM (#5576267)
Garfield Minus Garfield and The Nietzsche Family Circus are really the only two comics of that era worth reading.
   735. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:38 PM (#5576268)
Only its creators.

Mike Scioscia thinks Albert Pujols can still play, too. This doesn't refute the point.

Either that or they're, you know... familiar with one of the show's most prominent and long-running storylines, often hinted, then explicitly used as the backdrop for George & Jerry's on again/off again sitcom.

I'm familiar with the storyline.

The show itself was not about nothing.
   736. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:40 PM (#5576269)
Ironically, MacKinnon herself recently married a feminist man, demonstrating that even she doesn't believe her absurd claims about marriage being rape.)

Sugar, you have a very Harvard sopbomore way of looking at the world. "A feminist man" likely meant one willing to practice strict equality, as well as abstain from intercourse.

I believe one should take the writings of tbe radical feminists seriously, if not their politics. They often get to the root of sexual inequality in a way the typical liberal never will.

I like Dworkin, particularly her literary analysis. She definitely wasn't an academic, having been a sex worker for a nummber of years.

Read Dworkin plus de Sade and we'll talk.
   737. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:41 PM (#5576271)
I'm going to make it an actual challenge. Best episode in each season:

Season 1 -- The Stake-Out
Season 2 -- The Statue
Season 3 -- The Letter
Season 4 -- The Contest
Season 5 -- The Sniffing Accountant
Season 6 -- The Big Salad
Season 7 -- The Soup Nazi
Season 8 -- The Yada Yada
Season 9 -- The Merv Griffin Show

Probably the most honorable mentions of any show ever. Going through the episode list again reminds of what an absurdly great run it had.
   738. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:42 PM (#5576272)
George Takei sorry for ‘joking’ about grabbing men in Howard Stern interview, blames ‘naughty gay grandpa’ caricature

Interesting that so many liberals who have lectured us about morality have ended up being deplorables.

Louis CK included.
   739. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:42 PM (#5576273)
Mike Scioscia thinks Albert Pujols can still play, too.

Wonder what Scioscia would think of catcher throwing lanes

The show itself was not about nothing.

Duh.
   740. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:44 PM (#5576274)
There are other right-wing figures who made their bones in the multi-level marketing biz as well - for example, Jason Chaffetz was part of a similar scheme called Nu Skin for more than a decade.

Are these the folks behind either/and the Keto Proveit! supplements or the It Works! Wraps that seem to break the monotony of the 'Should Hillary be in Jail: Vote yes/no' social media posts from my trumpkin friends and family?

Though, to be fair - it's probably bipartisan... some kind of "essential oils" thing would appear to be the lefty version.
   741. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:48 PM (#5576276)
For anyone interested in the nuts and bolts of comedy, I unreservedly recommend Jerry Seinfeld's two lengthiest guest spots on the Howard Stern radio program. The first aired on June 26, 2013, and the second aired on September 25, 2017. They're each at least an hour and a half long, so if your patience or schedule are limited, go for the 2013 one. (I couldn't find a clickable link to the more recent one anyway.)
   742. madvillain Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:51 PM (#5576278)
Read Dworkin plus de Sade and we'll talk.

Most millennial feminists I know can't stand Dworkin. Although to be fair most of them are in active agreement to have PIV sex with me and not call it rape. Radfems are just out there the same way radical greens and anarchists are. It's not worth trying to square what they believe with anything moderate or mainstream even if it's on the same spectrum of belief and theory. I'm not going to ask a radical green about forced sterilization and expect a reasoned answer. And I wouldn't ask a radfem about heterosexual relations, including sexual, and except a reasoned answer either.
   743. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:53 PM (#5576280)
With last page's statement on being able to enjoy art without necessarily appreciating the artist acknowledged - I do have to make a confession....

When the Louis CK stuff broke, I was secretly thrilled that I would probably soon be able to cease pretending I'm all that familiar with or enjoyed his stuff.

744. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:54 PM (#5576281)
And I wouldn't ask a radfem about heterosexual relations, including sexual, and except a reasoned answer either.

Sounds like you're saying women are irrational.
   745. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:55 PM (#5576283)
When the Louis CK stuff broke, I was secretly thrilled that I would probably soon be able to cease pretending I'm all that familiar with or enjoyed his stuff.

Louie is a great show, as virtually all critics agree. Would be nice if they would actually stand up for it now, though as far as I know maybe some of them are.
   746. Greg K Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:57 PM (#5576284)

I know what you mean, but I'd wager most comedy is incredibly crafted regardless. The spontaneous laugh has a lot of work behind it.

Oh yeah, none more meticulously crafted than the comedian who seems to be perpetually lost (ie. Dylan Moran).

One of my favourite
Stewart Lee bits has him berating his audience for not finding one of his jokes funny. He then goes through a torturous process of explaining the joke to the audience (as if they didn't get it, rather than it not being particularly funny). In the process of which he lets the audience know that not only was the joke part of a fabricated anecdote he invented for the purposes of his show, but also that the prolonged explanation of why the joke that the audience didn't find funny, is actually funny, was also written before hand.

He makes a similar point elsewhere, where he just spends about 2 minutes making incoherent sounds:

"I know this comes off as spontaneous, but I wrote all this out before hand. PUGHT! I sat down and wrote that. KIMP! That too. In fact, I wrote this bit explaining how I wrote that earlier bit. And this. And this. And this."

Since he's Stewart Lee he goes on about it for far longer than is necessary.
   747. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:59 PM (#5576285)
Louie is a great show, as virtually all critics agree. Would be nice if they would actually stand up for it now, though as far as I know maybe some of them are.

So they say...

I got badgered into watching a couple episodes and the only thing I remember about them being that they were entirely unmemorable.

To be clear - I'm very much not substituting my entirely subjective opinion as an objective truth... I'm just saying that I never really got him or it.
   748. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:59 PM (#5576287)
Not that this list is definitive, but just to pick out a random top 25 episodes list....

The Chicken Roaster is probably a good Jerry (though the best scene is Newman's VIIIILLLEEEE WEED!)

The Puffy shirt probably qualifies (though, IDK... George the hand model? Still... but I dont wanna be a pirate!)

Yada yada for the anti-dentite stuff maybe.

Other than maybe "The Contest", I couldn't possibly rank the top 25 episodes, but (and I may be the only one who thinks this) I'd put the Final Episode right up there near the top.
   749. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 06:03 PM (#5576288)
Other than maybe "The Contest", I couldn't possibly rank the top 25 episodes, but (and I may be the only one who thinks this) I'd put the Final Episode right up there near the top.

The Final Episode is overhated, but my problem with it is that it's so clip-laden. I'd like it more if it weren't so reliant on clips to stretch it out to a full hour.
   750. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 06:32 PM (#5576295)
It's not worth trying to square what they believe with anything moderate or mainstream even if it's on the same spectrum of belief and theory.

It's problematic to put radicals in charge of anything (particularly meal preparation!), but I've found it worthwhile to engage them, particularly in print and artistic production.

Many, many years since I read Dworkin, but she writes with tremedous feeling on the sexual exploitation of women and the demand to be treated as human beings. I think she and other radicals had a profound effect in breaking ground for more moderate forces to till.

Dear Bill & Hillary
   751. McCoy Posted: November 14, 2017 at 06:34 PM (#5576296)
Louie the first season was good and funny. After that when it became a hipster and critical darling it was no longer funny and was rather depressing in its material.
   752. Traderdave Posted: November 14, 2017 at 06:35 PM (#5576297)
His humour is of another age. Which I don't necessarily mean as a criticism, but Seinfeld is a very technical joke-smith in a sense that looks incredibly old fashioned in today's comedy world.

That is the kindest, gentlest way imaginable to say "His standup is as lame as Jay Leno's."
   753. Srul Itza Posted: November 14, 2017 at 06:36 PM (#5576298)
38-year old BBTF fave Jerry Seinfeld

Never cared for his show.

Never cared for his stand up.

And there are more than a few others here with the same opinion.
   754. Random Transaction Generator Posted: November 14, 2017 at 06:37 PM (#5576299)
Season 1 -- The Stake-Out
Season 2 -- The Statue
Season 3 -- The Letter
Season 4 -- The Contest
Season 5 -- The Sniffing Accountant
Season 6 -- The Big Salad
Season 7 -- The Soup Nazi
Season 8 -- The Yada Yada
Season 9 -- The Merv Griffin Show

This is a quality list, but it also reveals a problem with trying to rank the Seinfeld episodes. I really think they got BETTER as the show went on.
"The Strike" (also known as the Festivus episode) was fantastic (not just for the permanent addition to pop culture), but it was also Season 9.
So was "The Serenity Now" (which might be one of Seinfeld's best comedic performances) and the classic "shiska-appeal".

(Also, I'd list "The Marine Biologist" as the best from Season 5, but that's because the final scene in the deli with George's story is probably my favourite moment in the entire show's history.")
   755. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 06:45 PM (#5576301)
From personal experience, the most interesting relationship happens between men and women when their sex drives cool.

Talk about the passion
   756. Hot Wheeling American Posted: November 14, 2017 at 06:56 PM (#5576302)
The Final Episode is overhated, but my problem with it is that it's so clip-laden. I'd like it more if it weren't so reliant on clips to stretch it out to a full hour.

The clip show after the clip show, as some said at the time.
   757. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:02 PM (#5576303)
The Final Episode is overhated

That's a funny way of spelling "boring and pointless".
   758. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:02 PM (#5576304)
Never cared for his show.

Never cared for his stand up.

And there are more than a few others here with the same opinion.

*raises hand*

Never laughed at anything Seinfeld. Not that I have gone into much depth... because I don't tend to waste much time on comedy that doesn't make me laugh, and is just sort of cringy.
   759. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:03 PM (#5576305)
Dear Bill & Hillary

I don't agree with everything in there, but it's an interesting read.
   760. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:12 PM (#5576309)
In realm of comedy... a robocall making the rounds in Alabama:

“Hi, this is Bernie Bernstein, I’m a reporter for the Washington Post calling to find out if anyone at this address is a female between the ages of 54 to 57 years old willing to make damaging remarks about candidate Roy Moore for a reward of between $5000 and $7000 dollars. We will not be fully investigating these claims however we will make a written report. I can be reached by email at albernstein@washingtonpost.com, thank you.

761. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:14 PM (#5576310)
I haven't seen actual Jay Leno standup in a half-zillion years, and his "Tonight Show" tenure was cafeteria humor punctuated by random bellowing. But Leno is universally regarded by his 1970s/80s peers to be one of the strongest standup comedians.

Louis C.K. is one of the best 10-20 standups ever. I can see why his FX show would repel plenty of people since it has such a unique, forlorn tone, but I find it (generally) compelling. He's also written for "TV Funhouse" segments and Conan O'Brien's NBC show, as well as other projects that aren't nearly as good. I haven't watched "Parks & Recreation" yet. He was pretty good in "American Hustle." He does very good talk show guest spots. He's done very good "SNL" monologues. Everything else I've seen Louis C.K. in has been missable.
   762. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:16 PM (#5576311)
"Bernie Bernstein" is making those Alabama robocalls because the name Jewy Moneylender might raise suspicions.

And Mike Pence's office is reportedly sending out tippy-toe signals designed to let everyone glean that he's not involved with Donald "Wikileaks" Trump Jr.'s perfectly normal meetings and contacts.
   763. madvillain Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:22 PM (#5576313)
designed to let everyone glean that he's not involved with Donald "Wikileaks" Trump Jr.'s perfectly normal meetings and contacts.

I'm starting to think Pence is going to be the fall guy for Trump Sr.
   764. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:24 PM (#5576315)
Everything else I've seen Louis C.K. in has been missable.

He's fantastic. The masturbation thing, not so much.

The 70's was different
   765. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:31 PM (#5576317)
Louis C.K. is one of the best 10-20 standups ever. I can see why his FX show would repel plenty of people since it has such a unique, forlorn tone, but I find it (generally) compelling. He's also written for "TV Funhouse" segments and Conan O'Brien's NBC show, as well as other projects that aren't nearly as good. I haven't watched "Parks & Recreation" yet. He was pretty good in "American Hustle." He does very good talk show guest spots. He's done very good "SNL" monologues. Everything else I've seen Louis C.K. in has been missable.

It's entirely possible his turn on Parks & Rec has some root in my general inability to "get" Louis CK... all I could think was "yeesh, get this mopey guy off screen already".
   766. madvillain Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:36 PM (#5576319)
It's entirely possible his turn on Parks & Rec has some root in my general inability to "get" Louis CK... all I could think was "yeesh, get this mopey guy off screen already".

FWIW, I'm not a fan either. As for the neurotic brand of self loathing humor he sells: gimme the Larry Sanders show. Now that's how you do it.
   767. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:37 PM (#5576320)

I'm starting to think Pence is going to be the fall guy for Trump Sr.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Though Sessions works for me.
   768. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:38 PM (#5576321)
All is well: Rush Limbaugh says that Roy Moore was a Democrat when he molested those girls, and "nobody said a word."
   769. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:38 PM (#5576322)
And Mike Pence's office is reportedly sending out tippy-toe signals designed to let everyone glean that he's not involved with Donald "Wikileaks" Trump Jr.'s perfectly normal meetings and contacts.
Uh, that link is from July, the last time he had to distance himself from the Trumps.
   770. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:40 PM (#5576323)
Judicial Nominations Update:
Current & known future vacancies: 161
Courts of Appeals: 23
District/Specialty Courts: 138

Pending nominees for current & known future vacancies: 49
Courts of Appeals: 10
District/Specialty Courts: 39

Awaiting Floor Votes: 21
Courts of Appeals: 1
District/Specialty Courts: 20

Confirmed by the Senate: 13
Supreme Court: 1
Courts of Appeals: 8
District/Specialty Courts: 4

There's a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on six more nominees tomorrow, including the beloved Texas Twitter Laureate. Also, a Committee Meeting on Thursday to vote on a different group of six nominees.
   771. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:40 PM (#5576324)
All is well: Rush Limbaugh says that Roy Moore was a Democrat when he molested those girls, and "nobody said a word."

Haha.
   772. zenbitz Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:40 PM (#5576325)
I actually like the final episode of Seinfeld. I mean, yeah, it was a retrospective not original writing but the concept of them being put on trial for their crimes against humanity is not bad.

I didn't even know Louis CK was in P&R, I had to look it up. Very small part. I've never heard his stand up either. Or seen him masturbate.
   773. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:40 PM (#5576326)

That sounds like a slip that might very well hurt Moore with his base.
   774. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:43 PM (#5576327)
I actually like the final episode of Seinfeld. I mean, yeah, it was a retrospective not original writing but the concept of them being put on trial for their crimes against humanity is not bad.

Structure was fine - and I thought it was cool to have all the bit part/episode guests back, but it was laziness to use so many clips. I get it - maybe they didn't want casual watchers spoiling the finale for more ardent watchers by asking "so who is that?" - but it was just pure lazy.

If there's an edit that skips all the flashbacks, it would be a fine episode.
   775. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:43 PM (#5576328)

Well, if anybody knows the ins and outs of chasing after teenage tail, it's Mr. I Got Arrested With A Bunch Of Secondhand Viagra In My Suitcase On The Way To The Dominican Republic.
   776. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:48 PM (#5576331)
Another day, and Sean Hannity waves bye-bye to advertisers Reddi Wip, Green Mountain Coffee, Volvo, Hebrew National, the Society for Human Resource Management, CA Technologies, the YMCA, and TripAdvisor.
   777. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:50 PM (#5576332)

Lol.

When the tree fell in the forest NOBODY SAID ANYTHING ABOUT IT!
   778. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:55 PM (#5576335)
I've never heard his stand up either.

Louis CK's bit about telling his daughter about supernovas is one of my favorite bits of standup comedy ever. (18:27 at this link.)

The part about the pony after that is pretty good, too.
   779. McCoy Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:57 PM (#5576336)
The 70's was different

The ironic part in that routine is when he is talking about child molesters and how if somebody would go up to him and tell him that doing X will mean you'll go to jail, you'll be hated, and you'll never work again he'd stop doing it. Apparently that wasn't true.

On a side note I actually liked the way Dane Cook told Louis CK jokes better than Louis told them.
   780. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:58 PM (#5576337)
Hmmmm ... turns out that the land down under, where the women glow and men plunder, held a little mail-in referendum (non-binding though) on same sex marriage, whose results were announced today.

Let's see how that went:

Australian statistician David Kalisch is speaking. He says the ABS provided trusted, relevant and accurate statistics.

Kalisch had promised he wouldn’t draw out the announcement but is is feeling extremely drawn out.

Come on mate.

79.5% of people voted. This was “outstanding for a voluntary survey,” he said.

All age groups had participation rates above 70%, but slightly more in older age groups.

18 and 19 year olds responded with around 78% participating.

YES VOTE WINS with 61.6% of the vote

7,817,247 people voted yes.

4,873,987 voted no - just 38.4% of the clear responses. Sorry Tony Abbott.

133 of 150 electorates voted yes in the majority, 95 by more than 60%. Just 17 electorates voted no.

Sounds like it's a bit complicated going forward, but I think we can chalk that one up in the #### YES category.

The yes vote has presented the Coalition with a potentially damaging choice between two bills to make same-sex marriage lawful. One is proposed by moderate Liberal, Dean Smith, and another from James Paterson, which has the backing of conservatives. We think the debate will take place in the week of 27 November.

Conservative senators Eric Abetz and Matt Canavan have expressed support for Paterson’s bill. Paterson’s bill is designed to give greater religious protections for those who don’t want to provide goods or services to same-sex weddings. Bakers or florists, for example, could refuse to do work for same-sex weddings. Lyle Shelton, speaking at the no campaign event, has just described Paterson’s bill as a “very good bill”. He said it gives protections from threats to freedom of speech and religion.

Conservative Mathias Cormann spoke earlier. He said the Smith bill is a good place to start, but he wants amendments to improve religious protections.

“I believe the Smith bill is a good starting point and indeed a number of senators have given notices that they will seek to introduce the Smith bill into the Senate this afternoon,” he said. “I do believe that there is a need for some additional religious protections. I am not going to go into the specifics today.”

Malcolm Turnbull has promised to get the bill through by Christmas. But he now faces a tough task in attempting to broker a compromise between factions inside the Coalition.

The Graun MBM

Good on ya, Oz!
   781. Traderdave Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:06 PM (#5576341)
Next stop on the Slippery Slope: kangaroofilia will be normalized.
   782. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:11 PM (#5576345)
Wallabies and koalas, living together ... mass hysteria!
   783. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:12 PM (#5576346)

His specials from 2006, when he made a shift in his material, onward are all really good. He had a special a few years back from a NY comedy club that was intentionally just him testing out new material, a good amount of it which I thought fell flat. But in terms of insightful views and legit laugh-out-loud moments, CK has been near the top of the pile for me for quite a while. Hilarious and Live at the Beacon Theater are probably my two favorite specials of his.

I'll admit to being a bit of a fanboy dating back to the early 2000s when he was still doing a pretty different style of comedy. I admired how he was able to make a shift to more serious topics after he became a father and it was cool to see his star really rise after that, since for years it felt like few people I knew even knew who he was. I suppose that's mostly over now.

I was mixed on his FX show. The first season or two was played more for laughs, whereas the last couple seasons became a bit too much about him toying around with the technical aspects of TV/film-making. And the material became more bleak with fewer tinges of humor laced in.
   784. Ray (RDP) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:23 PM (#5576347)
Rose McGowan Surrenders To Police Over Felony Cocaine Warrant And Is Placed Under Arrest

Number of arrests since October 2017:

Rose McGowan 1
Harvey Weinstein 0

Though I have a feeling Weinstein will blow past her.
   785. Howie Menckel Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:25 PM (#5576348)
I did see his standup once -- it was before his show took off, so I'm in the clear!

I've mentioned before having seen Seinfeld in a nightclub a year or two before his TV show (a pal was obsessed with his Tonight Show appearances.

he absolutely KILLED - then closed it out with about a 15-minute vignette about a true story about some moose being relocated to another area via helicopter. he wondered if the other moose, seeing one of their own appearing to fly, would treat him as a superhero.

ok, it doesn't sound that funny in my version.
:)

but the club was absolute bedlam. people were snorting, giggling, laughing so hard they started coughing, and all that.
   786. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:27 PM (#5576350)
Another day, and Sean Hannity waves bye-bye to advertisers Reddi Wip, Green Mountain Coffee, Volvo, Hebrew National, the Society for Human Resource Management, CA Technologies, the YMCA, and TripAdvisor.
Yes, but RWNJ Twitter is abuzz with the #fakenews that Keurig apologized to Hannity.
   787. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:30 PM (#5576351)
i have my own terrible pony story.

People who don't punch their ponies make me sick.
   788. SouthSideRyan Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:30 PM (#5576352)
I became familiar with CK through Dr. Katz in the 90s. Pretty good stuff, and a lot tamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIgbos0O2oI
   789. Satan Says Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:33 PM (#5576353)
but the club was absolute bedlam. people were snorting, giggling, laughing so hard they started coughing, and all that.

You had to be there covers so much of life.
   790. . . . . . . . . . . Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:35 PM (#5576354)
For years, my two favorite pieces of recent comedy were the Ambiguously Gay Duo TV Funhosue cartoons and the best skits of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

And then I found out those are both done by the same guy, Robert Smigel

And his standup ####### sucks.

Standup is incredibly hard.
   791. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:37 PM (#5576355)
The first season or two was played more for laughs, whereas the last couple seasons became a bit too much about him toying around with the technical aspects of TV/film-making.

Ugh. Nothing kills comedy faster (or possibly more frequently) than "I want to be an auteur in my medium!"
   792. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:38 PM (#5576356)

That sounds like a slip that might very well hurt Moore with his base.

Of course most of Moore's older base members were also Democrats at one time.
   793. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:41 PM (#5576359)
Sure Keurig apologized. They said "Sorry, can't sponsor your show".
   794. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:44 PM (#5576361)
Yes, but RWNJ Twitter is abuzz with the #fakenews that Keurig apologized to Hannity.

This might well be the most brilliant revenue gambit in the history of the world... the day after smashing their Keurigs, Hannity says don't take it out on Keurig and now a bunch of smashed Keurigs need to be replaced!

Sheer genius.
   795. Greg K Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:44 PM (#5576362)

Ugh. Nothing kills comedy faster (or possibly more frequently) than "I want to be an auteur in my medium!"

Although ironically, Ricky Gervais in Extras and Steve Coogan in The Trip are really funny playing versions of themselves as low-brow comedians who think they are auteurs.
   796. BDC Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:53 PM (#5576364)
I tend to prefer the surrealists among stand-up comics to those who (like Louis CK) explain stuff more earnestly. I don't think that's an absolute distinction (George Carlin did some of both). But my favorites would be Steven Wright and Mitch Hedberg. If there's anything sleazy about Steven Wright I would rather not hear about it.

The early Woody Allen is very much to my taste (and I know the sleazy stuff about him). "I cheated on my metaphysics final … I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me."
   797. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 14, 2017 at 09:00 PM (#5576365)
The mass shooting in CA is a little ahead of schedule. We still had at least another week, probably two in the "too soon to talk about gun control" zone to reset it already.
   798. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 14, 2017 at 09:03 PM (#5576366)
Wallabies and koalas, living together ... mass hysteria!

You misspelt chlamydia.
   799. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: November 14, 2017 at 09:16 PM (#5576369)
Kentucky trying to shut down last abortion clinic in the state

But don't worry, Ray assures us that the battle for abortion rights is over and lefties should just shut up about it already.
   800. PreservedFish Posted: November 14, 2017 at 09:20 PM (#5576371)
I find Louie's stand-up comedy amusing and worth watching. But it's not very exciting, not formally interesting, not groundbreaking. A lot of it is just another ugly guy joking about how he's bad at sex, and such. Re: 796, I think that as a young man he had a surrealist style, but abandoned that.

I applaud Louie and any other comedian that tries to stretch out artistically. Comedy has a very short shelf-life - many more comedians are killed by age and changing fashions than by artistic ambition.
Page 8 of 20 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.