Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 14, 2017

OTP 14 August 2014: The American Pastimes of Rock ’n’ Roll, Baseball and Poetry

Maybe poetry and politics don’t mix. “I don’t want to get off into a whole thing about history here, but the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of American liberty lighting the world,” said Stephen Miller, a White House senior adviser, when he was challenged, recently, about the Trump administration’s proposal to restrict immigration. “The poem that you’re referring to was added later. It’s not actually part of the original Statue of Liberty.”

The poem, “The New Colossus,” was written by Emma Lazarus, who is being celebrated at the 92nd Street Y with works by 19 young poets inspired by her words. While the text wasn’t finally affixed to the base of the statue until 1903, the poem was commissioned in 1883 — three years before the statue opened — to raise money for the pedestal. Speaking of poems, more than 700 commercial, university and independent presses have contributed 3,000 items to the 2017 Poets House Showcase through Aug. 26 at Poets House in Battery Park City.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 14, 2017 at 07:18 AM | 3273 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 31 of 33 pages ‹ First  < 29 30 31 32 33 > 
   3001. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 21, 2017 at 02:58 PM (#5517995)
Not one of your three links supports the claim you made. Only the third is even relevant, but "the Mayor of Boston" != "many law enforcement agencies."

Do you think that training video was made just for show? Or their Law Enforcement Resources page?

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. But what difference does it make what the SPLC's motive for putting up a web page is? That tells you what the SPLC's views are, and the issue here is what many law enforcement agencies' views are.

I've mentioned shows where police officials and SPLC spokemen were agreeing with each other on how to handle violent demonstrations. There's no indication that any law enforcement officials disagree with the SPLC's longstanding suggestions of not confronting violent demonstrators, but rather staying away or staging peaceful counter-protests. Right wing propaganda aside, the SPLC's views on extremist groups are almost entirely within the mainstream.

What is there about the SPLC's mission that leads you to think that any law enforcement agency this side of (former) Sheriff Joe Arpaio's wouldn't welcome the sort of information that the SPLC has gathered about extremist groups and hate groups over the years,

Because the SPLC's methodology is junk, and the information they gather is basically tallying websites, information that can be obtained by googling.. Doesn't really have much of value for law enforcement.

I note that you don't dispute that googled information,** much of which comes from SPLC itself, but very few law enforcement agencies have the resources to do the sort of comprehensive monitoring of hate groups and extremist groups that the SPLC can muster.

As is often the case, you love to condemn a group on the basis of a few buzzwords ("junk" methodology) and a few cases of questionable labeling, without weighing its overall contribution, or without providing any sort of alternative information base.

** The words of people like Dan Stein speak for themselves. You can try to pretend that people like him don't really mean what they say, or you can continue to ignore them or claim they're irrelevant, but now you're getting into the sort of rhetorical territory we usually see from Trump's apologists.
   3002. TDF, FCL Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:02 PM (#5517996)
Has anyone here commented on Iceland aborting nearly 100 percent of fetuses tested to have Down's Syndrome?
Didn't see it before, but I will: That's awful.

But I have to ask - are you required to defend everything every conservative says or does?
   3003. Swoboda is freedom Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:02 PM (#5517997)

Trump leaves the White House every weekend and his wife is never there.

She moved in recently with Barron.

Also, I think it is where he goes. He doesn't go to Camp David (or The Bush ranch), which has a built in security buffer and is pretty remote. Going to his properties is more labor intense.
   3004. Covfefe Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:02 PM (#5517998)
Ah, ####. Someone told Trump to don the glasses before looking at the eclipse, and he listened.

Having eyes that can see never helped him all that much anyway.
   3005. TDF, FCL Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:04 PM (#5518000)
Has anyone here commented on Iceland aborting nearly 100 percent of fetuses tested to have Down's Syndrome?
But that's a bullshit sentence. Women in Iceland are aborting the kids, the country isn't doing (or even pushing) it.

Doesn't change the awfulness.
   3006. Mans Best Friend Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:04 PM (#5518001)
Trump's various verbal utterances last week were appropriate

As opposed to the week before? Or this week?
   3007. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:07 PM (#5518003)
President and First Lady enjoying the eclipse. It looks like they are about to get beamed up to the mother ship.
   3008. DJS, the Digital Dandy Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:12 PM (#5518005)
I laughed when Trump took off the glasses and someone yelled "Don't look!" and he felt obliged to look up at the sun again without the glasses.
   3009. Swoboda is freedom Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:12 PM (#5518006)
President and First Lady enjoying the eclipse. It looks like they are about to get beamed up to the mother ship.

Q. Are we not men?

A. We are DEVO.
   3010. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:13 PM (#5518007)
But I have to ask - are you required to defend everything every conservative says or does?
What does that have to do with Iceland?
   3011. Covfefe Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:14 PM (#5518008)

Caption Contest!

I zzzzeeeee NOTTTTHHHinnnggggg Colonel Hogan!

I told you it was a good idea to install that big HD screen umbrella before I blew up Denmark.

Incoming signal from Planet Lizard People. Prepare to receive further instructions.

I told you I was watching events in Charlottesville very closely, much more closely than you.

3012. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:15 PM (#5518009)
Well, first I wouldn't say that "Iceland" is doing it. Icelandic citizens are doing it, so it sounds more like a cultural thing than any sort of government mandate. That said, a big problem with the article is the constant referrals to "eradicating" Down's Syndrome. You can't eradicate it. It's not a disease, it's a genetic abnormality, and if you killed every DS individual on the planet in the next five minutes, it wouldn't have much of an impact on incidence of the condition (there may be a minor hereditary component in some types). It's not like Polio. You can't just isolate the virus and eliminate it.

I'm not going to pass judgment on other individuals' reproductive choices. What concerns me a bit (and it's not clear from the article) are which test results are being used to influence decisions to terminate. Screening tests (less invasive than CVS or Amnio) yield a lot of false positives, but are available earlier in the pregnancy. Even if you decide that you can't possible bring DS baby to term, you shouldn't make that decision based on the screening test. I don't think any of the tests, however, give you an idea of the severity. There's also a fairly high miscarriage/stillbirth rate with DS positive fetuses. It's scary proposition, and let's just say it's one I'm particularly sensitive to at the moment. Many people are perhaps better situated than they'd expect to care for a child with DS, but many aren't. It's not like terminating based on eye-color or something. There are real challenges to consider.

If this were government mandated, it would inexcusable. If it's cultural, it's tragic, and they should work to raise awareness and change the culture, but it still comes down the choices of individuals. I'm happy to live in a country where that choice still belongs to the individual and not the government. I know what choice I would make, because I'm making it. But I can't choose that path for others.
   3013. Traderdave Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:23 PM (#5518013)

She moved in recently with Barron.

I misread that as "Bannon."

Which would be all kinds of awesome.
   3014. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:26 PM (#5518014)
If this were government mandated, it would inexcusable. If it's cultural, it's tragic, and they should work to raise awareness and change the culture, but it still comes down the choices of individuals. I'm happy to live in a country where that choice still belongs to the individual and not the government. I know what choice I would make, because I'm making it. But I can't choose that path for others.
YMMV, obviously, but "tragic" sounds pretty tame. We just spent the past week-plus debating the influence of Nazism, which is predicated, among other things, on the belief that genetic inferiors need to be identified and either terminated or enslaved.
   3015. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:32 PM (#5518016)
A blue-on-blue dispute of sorts - Black Lives Matter Member Tells Antifa To Take Their Masks Off And Get Out of His Neighborhood, They Call Him A Cop And Punch Him. Antifa is a violent hate group that has made a tactical decision to raise its profile by trying to violently disrupt extremist groups of different ideologies. Not much to like there, but some have fallen for it.
   3016. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:35 PM (#5518019)

As if the left isn't as guilty of this.

The libertarians here are the only ones it seems not to apply to. Say what you will about David, but he doesn't fall lock step with the left or the right.
   3017. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:39 PM (#5518020)

If you can identify a problem here beyond the standard "abortion is bad" position that many on the right would take I'd be happy to weigh in.

Setting aside abortion per se, what is the problem you see with aborting DS fetuses?
   3018. BDC Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:44 PM (#5518022)

(a) As others have noted, that should read "Icelandic women choosing to abort."

(b) For context, what's that rate like in other countries? Some cursory Googling suggests 98% in Denmark, 90% in the UK, 77% in France, 67% in the United States.

If you want to be anti-choice, that's one thing; if you want to equate women who choose abortions based on test results to Nazis, that's another; but singling out Iceland seems a bit oblique. (I realize that CBS raised the issue, not anyone here.)
   3019. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:46 PM (#5518024)
Seth Rogen

@Sethrogen

The idea that Nazis and people who oppose Nazis are somehow equatable is the most batshit ####### crazy #### I've ever ####### heard.
6:24 PM - Aug 16, 2017

4,077 4,077 Replies
82,869 82,869 Retweets

Take it nice and easy, Seth. You didn't hear that.
   3020. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:47 PM (#5518026)

Sure, I'll play. Sam Clovis, the non-scientist Trump nominated to be chief scientists at the USDA on rights for LGBT:

"Someone who engages in LGBT behavior -- I don't know what the science is on this, I think it's still out -- but as far as we know, LGBT behavior is a choice they make, Clovis says in a video obtained by CNN's KFile. "So we're being asked to provide Constitutional protections for behavior, a choice in behavior as opposed to a primary characteristic."

"There's no equivalency there between the civil rights issue associated between those protected classes and the civil rights of someone who engages in a particular behavior," continues Clovis. "Follow the logic, if you engage in a particular behavior, what also becomes protected? If we protect LGBT behavior, what other behaviors are we going to protect? Are we going to protect pedophilia? Are we going to protect polyamorous marriage relationships? Are we going to protect people who have fetishes? What's the logical extension of this? It can't be that we're going to protect LGBT and then we'll pull up the ladder. That's not going to happen, it defies logic. We're not thinking the consequences of these decisions through."
   3021. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:47 PM (#5518028)
The Mayor of Phoenix**: Now is not the time for Trump to visit my city
Nearly 50 years ago, moments after learning that an avowed racist had gunned down Martin Luther King Jr., a young presidential candidate took the stage in Indianapolis to break the news to a largely African American crowd.

“What we need in the United States is not division,” Sen. Robert F. Kennedy implored. “What we need in the United States is not hatred. What we need in the United States is not violence and lawlessness, but is love and wisdom and compassion toward one another.”

It was exactly what the grief-stricken crowd needed to hear. There were riots in many cities that night, but not in Indianapolis.

President Trump’s response to Charlottesville reminds us that the words and actions of our political leaders in the wake of tragic events matter.

America is hurting. And it is hurting largely because Trump has doused racial tensions with gasoline. With his planned visit to Phoenix on Tuesday, I fear the president may be looking to light a match.

That’s why I asked the president to delay his visit. It’s time to let cooler heads prevail and begin the healing process.

Just days after Trump confirmed that he was “seriously considering” issuing a pardon for former Maricopa County sheriff Joe Arpaio — who was convicted in July of criminal contempt of court for defying a federal judge’s orders to stop racial profiling — the president’s campaign announced that it will hold a rally at the Phoenix Convention Center. The timing doesn’t seem coincidental.

Let’s be clear: A pardon of Arpaio can be viewed only as a presidential endorsement of the lawlessness and discrimination that terrorized Phoenix’s Latino community. Choosing to announce it in Phoenix — especially in the wake of Charlottesville — would add insult to very serious injury and would reveal that the president’s true intent is to further divide our nation.

For years, Arpaio illegally targeted Latinos in our community because of the color of their skin. Mothers and fathers lived in fear as they dropped off their kids at school. Kids lived in fear of their parents being arrested and taken away.

A federal court ruled Arpaio’s tactics violated the law. After he defied a judge’s orders, he was convicted of criminal contempt. In convicting him, U.S. District Judge Susan R. Bolton noted that Arpaio “announced to the world and to his subordinates that he was going to continue business as usual no matter who said otherwise.”

Even before his trial and conviction, voters grew tired of Arpaio’s brand of racism and blatant violation of the law. Last year, in an overwhelmingly Republican county, Arpaio lost by nearly 10 points. Although local Republicans helped defeat Arpaio, the white nationalists, neo-Nazis and other racists who shamed our country this month in Charlottesville would surely cheer a presidential pardon....

** Yes, he's a Democrat, but he reflects a lot of what Republicans are also thinking.
   3022. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:50 PM (#5518030)
If you want to be anti-choice, that's one thing; if you want to equate women who choose abortions based on test results to Nazis, that's another; but singling out Iceland seems a bit oblique. (I realize that CBS raised the issue, not anyone here.)
Huh? BDC, the article mentioned Iceland's near-100 percent rate so I asked what others thought about Iceland.

Interestingly, you don't offer an opinion on the matter. Do you have any concern with aborting a fetus solely because of a genetic concern?
   3023. BrianBrianson Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:50 PM (#5518031)
Down's is screened for at 12 weeks - maybe you're losing a potential person, but given Iceland is probably dominated by planned pregnancy, you're probably going to get another person. More serious than having a wank, sure, but in a lot of ways, you're not choosing between a child with down syndrome and no child, but a kid with down syndrome and a kid without. They're both more or less potential, not actual ...

So ... you want to choose to give your rugrat Down's? Or set up a culture where parents would choose that?
   3024. Swoboda is freedom Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:50 PM (#5518032)

What would you do if you knew your child would be born with Down's? My wife and I had 2 children, fairly late. One was born with spina bifida, so we knew she had a genetic defect. She has problems, but the defect was low on the spine, so she can walk. I certainly know it would be hard to have a child with Down's. They are wonderful people, kind, but it is a lot of work. We had the testing done, and we were glad to dodge that bullet though.
   3025. BrianBrianson Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:51 PM (#5518033)
Take it nice and easy, Seth. You didn't hear that.

Yes - opposing Nazis is fine, as long as you're polite, respectful, and don't resort to violence.
   3026. TDF, FCL Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:52 PM (#5518035)
There is a wide divide between what the left and the right are forced to defend.

I expect the right to defend their national leaders - POTUS, senators and representatives. But this is a story from Iceland; what the hell does it have to do with anything in the US?

Why can Ted Nugent get away with all of the vile things he said about Obama, while the left is expected to defend an obscure state rep from Missouri?

Fox News has become a right-wing juggernaut by the anchors individually and the network as a whole spewing hate and lies by the minute, yet they aren't the ones regularly labeled as "fake news".
   3027. simpleton & childlike gef the talking mongoose Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:55 PM (#5518038)
Do you have any concern with aborting a fetus solely because of a genetic concern?

If there was some way of knowing whatever the #### is wrong with Trump & his sons while they were in utero ... god, have at it.

Edit: To me, it's pretty ####### obvious from his semihuman-at-best face that something above & beyond the spiritually nasty is wrong with Eric.
   3028. Covfefe Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:57 PM (#5518039)
YMMV, obviously, but "tragic" sounds pretty tame. We just spent the past week-plus debating the influence of Nazism, which is predicated, among other things, on the belief that genetic inferiors need to be identified and terminated or enslaved.

The problem is that the debate seems to end when it ceases to make for a good anti-abortion argument... and I'm not talking about just bog standard generalities - but to get to some specifics --

One area where you'll actually find agreement from parents with special needs kids that cross the great ideological divide is the whole "school choice" and vouchers discussion. Since it's expensive and not a requirement for private schools - you'll find very few private schools that even offer spots for special needs kids. Public schools are required to provide qualified instructors, accommodations, and curricula. You don't have to look too far to find such parents who'll gladly check off every box of the Ted Cruz purity list - except this one.... because when you're living in the reality, you know that strangling public schools means strangling the only realistic avenue you have to provide your child with an education, some manner of a social childhood, etc.

Ditto Healthcare - by definition, special needs kids have health costs that will inevitably spike the scale. There's a reason Medicaid/SCHIP have carve-outs that allow parents of special needs kids to buy into the programs regardless of income, even before Obamacare - because for almost all of them, it was the only way they'd be able to get coverage period. I have a few friends with special needs kids -- to a family, they're all getting their healthcare through government-sponsored plans. The 'free market' wants nothing to do with them - and it never will. It goes beyond just premiums and ACA limitations on deductibles, etc -- having the appropriate specialists in-network is expensive... and something private carriers aren't interested in.

Finally, employment rules - from FMLA to beyond - inevitably come into play, especially at a young age. Any way you slice it - if you want to create a culture where parents are encouraged, or at least not discouraged, from undertaking challenges that go beyond the usual challenges/expenses of just raising a kid period - then you inevitably have to support a statutory and regulatory schema that makes it possible and requires employers to allow for what is agnostic "unfair", for certain employees.

I'd be perfectly willing to cosign the concern.... if only it weren't the fact that beyond its use as a cudgel in the abortion debate -- that concern suddenly disappears when it comes to those three pretty basic building blocks of follow-through (education, healthcare, and employment).

3029. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 03:59 PM (#5518043)
I've specifically counseled a family member to abort her baby due to Down Syndrome. (Well, that's not quite right; she came to me (and others) for advice on the issue leaning heavily towards aborting and I agreed with and supported her decision.) The factors were:

1. Knowing her as I do it would have been incredibly difficult or impossible for her from a psychological standpoint to care for a child with Down Syndrome and watch that child grow up. Many people are cut out for this. She is not; she would have broken down mentally.

2. Bringing a DS child into the world sets the child up for a very difficult life. While people with DS are amazing people, their lives are incredibly challenging, to the point where I find that the more moral and humane decision is NOT to bring a DS child into the world if there is a choice.

So I think Icelandic culture has it right.
   3030. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:06 PM (#5518045)
Please tell me this has been photoshopped. He couldn't really be that silly, right?
   3031. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:07 PM (#5518046)
   3032. BDC Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:08 PM (#5518048)
the article mentioned Iceland's near-100 percent rate so I asked what others thought about Iceland

Well, you need more information to know how exceptional Iceland may be. If the analogous rate in Denmark is 98%, then maybe Iceland isn't unusual.

I am extremely pro-choice and think that the reasons for women choosing abortion are none of my business.
   3033. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:10 PM (#5518049)
I am extremely pro-choice and think that the reasons for women choosing abortion are none of my business.

Indeed, assuming one agrees that abortion is completely fine, why would this be an exception?

Or -

For those who believe that abortion is ok if there are acceptable reasons, why wouldn't this be one of those reasons?
   3034. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:10 PM (#5518050)
Look, I love tweaking Trump as much as the next guy, but a quarter second glance is not a stare.
   3035. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:12 PM (#5518051)
For those who believe that abortion is ok if there are acceptable reasons, why wouldn't this be one of those reasons?

As long as you don't get an abortion out of spite, I'm OK with it.
   3036. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:22 PM (#5518053)
I need more factors to compete the calculus. Do Down Syndromers vote republican?
   3037. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:23 PM (#5518055)
Look, I love tweaking Trump as much as the next guy, but a quarter second glance is not a stare.

I only saw the image, but even glancing at it like that is just silly. EVERYONE is watching you, and you can't follow the basic protocols just this one time?
   3038. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:25 PM (#5518057)
What would you do if you knew your child would be born with Down's?
Well, I know what we're doing. But our choice isn't the right choice for everyone.
   3039. BrianBrianson Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:27 PM (#5518059)

I mean - this is unnecessary politicking. In a country/culture where birth control and education is widely available, these pregnancies are probably almost all planned, so the decision to abort is probably actually being made by both parents.
   3040. Mans Best Friend Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:30 PM (#5518060)
There is a wide divide between what the left and the right are forced to defend.

Apply one standard to behavior and the problem is largely solved. But it's easier than actually discussing substantive issues.
   3041. Mans Best Friend Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:31 PM (#5518061)
I only saw the image, but even glancing at it like that is just silly. EVERYONE is watching you, and you can't follow the basic protocols just this one time?

Seriously?
   3042. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:31 PM (#5518062)
Does this include a society like China's, where fetuses get aborted merely because they'd be born girls?

EDIT: More to the point, where does the line get drawn?

And I say this as someone who's always been pro-choice during a pregnancy's first trimester.
   3043. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:34 PM (#5518064)
#2998:
Ah, ####. Someone told Trump to don the glasses before looking at the eclipse

He was monitoring the violent black takeover of the sun.

#3017:
Setting aside abortion per se, what is the problem you see with aborting Down's Syndrome fetuses?

Where will the next generation of Scott Adams' political admirers come from?
   3044. Covfefe Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:35 PM (#5518065)
When does the policy become the personal and vice versa?

I'm absolutely pro-choice from a policy perspective because I do think it's a personal decision.... but the one time, I got confronted with that 'choice' pseudo-personally - my personal input was that I was on the side "let's try to make this work" (I caveat, of course, because however you want to slice it - it's a simply a bigger choice for a woman than a man). It was many, many years ago - of course, but it was your bog standard didn't pull out the condom because "been together and tested" and "a few drinks" and "what are the chances". At the time - I knew full well that she saw the possibility for a future together that I was increasingly not seeing... and it was the height of irony that I then did a 180 and was prepared to make it work while she went in the other direction of it having no chance of "working".

While I don't regret the relational idea that she wasn't the woman I wanted to be with, I'll give her all the credit in the world for being the one to say my 'resignation', if you will, was the worst sort of foundation to build upon. It turned out to be a false alarm a few days later (hey, so far as I know and she insisted years later when she did the High Fidelity trip through the past trope) - but in retrospect, I probably was subconsciously stacking the deck and putting the decision on her.... that, obviously, didn't even involve beyond the pure cost/responsibility of potential beyond the Iceland issue.

More than a decade later, the last time a relationship progressed to the point where "kids?" came up and I was mature enough (or, at least, into her enough to fake it) to consider the possibility -- she was concerned about "what if...?" I was - and firmly remain - of the opinion that if that's something you/we can't handle, then we'll adopt. But - if we're going to 'roll the dice', so to speak, I adamantly oppose Gattaca-lite (FWIW, I'm about 10 years older than her - so the conversation was her in her late 20s, me in my late 30s, and her reading about older men having kids).

In any case, I guess the point is that I don't see any conflict in holding personal opinions in what could certainly be described as "one direction" -- while having public policy opinions (policy isn't even the right word -- let's say personal decisions allowed under the law) in the other direction.

I'm not at all sure where the pure, beyond-the-law moral line exists. I know where I would come down.... and to be perfectly honest, I also know where I would come down tends to be a factor of cultural/familial upbringing and a nagging fear/concern about "what if...?" -- and I am and have been willing to live my life according to what you might well call a cop-out.

But - I'm not at all certain enough to enforce or legislate those personal feelings onto others.
   3045. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:41 PM (#5518068)
Where will the next generation of Scott Adams' political admirers come from?
You'll excuse me for not laughing at this. Pretty sure my unborn son, even if the screening is accurate, will grow up to be more logical and rational than Ray. He'll certainly know that there's no such thing as a G**D*mn catcher's throwing lane.
   3046. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:42 PM (#5518069)
#3017:
Setting aside abortion per se, what is the problem you see with aborting Down's Syndrome fetuses?
As I note above, what starts with Down's Syndrome may evolve into sex preference -- or lower IQ projections. Heck, what if parents don't want to raise a gay child?
   3047. Covfefe Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:48 PM (#5518076)
#3017:
As I note above, what starts with Down's Syndrome may evolve into sex preference -- or lower IQ projections.

Like I said, extend this concern beyond birth -- or the whatever-number-of-weeks -- and we'd share the same concerns.

Until that point, it's hard to see it as anything other than a convenient cudgel for use in a specific policy debate.
   3048. Morty Causa Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:51 PM (#5518078)
As I note above, what starts with Down's Syndrome may evolve into sex preference -- or lower IQ projections. Heck, what if parents don't want to raise a gay child?

or a BTF OTP poster.
   3049. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:53 PM (#5518079)

Still not seeing the problem. (Again, assuming arguendo that one has no problem with abortion per se.)
   3050. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:56 PM (#5518081)
You'll excuse me for not laughing at this. Pretty sure my unborn son, even if the screening is accurate, will grow up to be more logical and rational than Ray. He'll certainly know that there's no such thing as a G**D*mn catcher's throwing lane.

It's been a while even though this reference comes up weekly but IIRC I agreed very early on (the night of this particular game) that the play was called correctly according to the rules.

I was advocating for a rules change.

But folks here seem to recall the discussion better than I do at this point. As they seem feverishly obsessed with it while I couldn't give a rat's ass about it, I presume they re-read the thread before they go to bed each night.
   3051. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:56 PM (#5518082)
Heck, what if parents don't want to raise a gay child?
I don't want to raise a socialist child, but I'm not sure how to screen for that prenatally. So, to be safe, we'd better allow abortion up to college age.
   3052. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:57 PM (#5518083)
As I note above, what starts with Down's Syndrome may evolve into sex preference

If you really want to open a can of worms. I've seen reports -- a few years ago even -- of families with hereditary cancers doing in vitro fertilization of several eggs, testing the resultant embryos and choosing to implant the embryo which doesn't carry the cancer gene. Avoiding cancer is a feel-good story, but without heavy regulation that leads to eugenics.
   3053. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 04:59 PM (#5518084)
Does this include a society like China's, where fetuses get aborted merely because they'd be born girls?

Even the snake-handling wing of the Republican party doesn't care about this. Hobby Lobby is full of Chinese crap.
   3054. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:07 PM (#5518087)
This new three-state NBC News/Marist poll was taken from last Sunday through last Thursday:

Michigan: 36% Trump approval, 55% disapproval ("strongly" approve/disapprove 19% to 40%)

Pennsylvania: 35% approval, 54% diapproval ("strongly" 17% to 41%)

Wisconsin: 34% approval, 56% disapproval ("strongly" 17% to 42%)

Personal opinion of Trump's conduct as president:
Michigan: 64% embarrassed, 28% proud
Pennsylvania: 63% embarrassed, 26% proud
Wisconsin: 64% embarrassed, 24% proud

Favorability of the two parties:
Michigan: Dems minus-2%; GOP minus-24%
Pennsylvania: Dems minus-4%, GOP minus-27%
Wisconsin: Dems minus-8%, GOP minus-24%

Preference for the 2018 election outcome:
Michigan: Congress controlled by Dems, 48%, Congress controlled by GOP 35%
Pennsylvania: Dems 47%, GOP 37%
Wisconsin: Dems 46%, GOP 38%

There's a certain definitional problem with "swing" states...
   3055. BDC Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:10 PM (#5518093)

Depends on who's making the choice. I don't believe states or communities or families should pressure women into abortion, or overrule them if they've chosen abortion. I wouldn't replace the coercion of "you must not have a female child" with that of "you have no right to choose an abortion for X reason."

3056. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:11 PM (#5518094)
Personal opinion of Trump's conduct as president:

Hey, embarrassment is the new market inefficiency.
   3057. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:20 PM (#5518100)
Shredder, i have no doubt your son will be a bundle of joy for all his days. In some ways DS kids/ adults are more evolved than people without the abnormality.
   3058. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:22 PM (#5518102)
Flashback to the 2016 election:
Michigan: Trump wins by a margin of 0.23% (10,704 votes)
Pennsylvania: Trump by 0.72% (44,292 votes)
Wisconsin: Trump by 0.77% (22,748 votes)

Each of the states has one Democratic Senator running for reelection next year, two of whom are considered vulnerable.
   3059. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:25 PM (#5518104)

Michigan: Trump wins by a margin of 0.23% (10,704 votes)
Pennsylvania: Trump by 0.72% (44,292 votes)
Wisconsin: Trump by 0.77% (22,748 votes)

BUT HER EMAILS! SHE VOTED FOR WAR IN IRAQ! PIZZAGATE MURDERED SETH RICH!
   3060. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:28 PM (#5518106)
I saw a poll on CNN that showed Trump down to 34% approval in those states. Edit...today
   3061. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:33 PM (#5518108)
BUT HER EMAILS! SHE VOTED FOR WAR IN IRAQ! PIZZAGATE MURDERED SETH RICH!

Benghazi was a video... Pay for play with the foundation... In the pocket of Goldman Sachs...

I have no doubts that Trump is extremely unpopular, but give him six months to rail against a specific opponent and he might convince the same group of people that the other person is worse.
   3062. zenbitz Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:33 PM (#5518110)
The new age of eugenics is coming. It (genetically modifying human zygotes) might get banned for 50 years or so, but not forever.
   3063. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:46 PM (#5518115)
Benghazi was a video...

The attack was not a result of the video. But by the administration lying -- Trump style -- that it was, over and over again in the immediate aftermath of the attack, they planted the idea in half the public's mind that it was. And this half of the public is too disinterested to ever learn the truth. So, mission accomplished.

Same tactic Trump uses.
   3064. Swoboda is freedom Posted: August 21, 2017 at 05:47 PM (#5518116)
I don't want to raise a socialist child, but I'm not sure how to screen for that prenatally. So, to be safe, we'd better allow abortion up to college age.

Daddy, I can't decide. My top two choices for college are either Vassar or Sarah Lawrence.

BANG BANG BANG!
   3065. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 06:02 PM (#5518121)
Benghazi was a video

Oh, right, can't forget BENGHAZI! How come we didn't have any hearings on how Hillary got those brave men killed.
   3066. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 06:03 PM (#5518122)
Conor McGregor currently sitting at +325. Anyone who takes that action is Trump-level stupid.
   3067. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2017 at 06:11 PM (#5518131)
My top two choices for college are either Vassar or Sarah Lawrence.

My alma mater is 12th in the US News ranking. Sarah Lawrence barely cracks the top 60. Shooting those who would choose the latter over the former would be for their own good.
   3068. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2017 at 06:30 PM (#5518135)
Thanks, Joe. We've learned quite a bit about DS in the last week. It's still settling in.
   3069. GordonShumway Posted: August 21, 2017 at 06:41 PM (#5518137)
What does everyone think about the real fight coming up: Canelo v. GGG?
   3070. McCoy Posted: August 21, 2017 at 06:42 PM (#5518138)
My GF and I talked about this as we're about to start the process of having a child. We're not really sure what we'd do if something showed up during the pregnancy. Any kind of handicap terrifies of course. I'm leaning towards an abortion if severe handicap is diagnosed early on.
   3071. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2017 at 06:59 PM (#5518144)

Is this a Dan Savage thing?
   3072. BDC Posted: August 21, 2017 at 07:06 PM (#5518148)

Heh, exactly what I thought.

3073. Morty Causa Posted: August 21, 2017 at 07:07 PM (#5518149)
I don't see what the objection to objection is if the fetus is not be given any consideration as a person or human being.

And eugenics is not only coming, it's been practiced for years. Again, given the status of the fetus, what's it standing? And what, then, would the reason it is being aborted matter at all? Down syndrome, too many of one sex, guilt, shame, not ready to have a child.... ç'est tout la même merde.
   3074. BDC Posted: August 21, 2017 at 07:10 PM (#5518152)
And BTW: some of you played softball with BDC Jr. last year. He was deployed overseas (mostly in Iraq) for nine months in an engineering unit, but is back in the US as of today, safe and sound.
   3075. Morty Causa Posted: August 21, 2017 at 07:24 PM (#5518157)
I don't see what the objection to objection

That second "objection" should be "abortion" of course.
   3076. Howie Menckel Posted: August 21, 2017 at 07:31 PM (#5518164)
Christie seeks BBTF vote - for something
from earlier today

"... one about what Christie thinks of Donald Trump’s statement that both sides were to blame in the Charlottesville, Virginia unrest two weekends ago.

“All leaders must speak out clearly on this against white nationalists, against white-supremacists against neo-nazis. This is unacceptable and I think in my view that the president’s comments about both sides were a mistake. They shouldn’t have been said and I certainly wouldn’t have said them and I wouldn’t say them today I wouldn’t agree with them and I don’t adopt them. The people who wanted to cause violence in Charlottesville were the neo-nazis and the white supremacists who came there to cause violence and their very underpinnings of their philosophy if you can call it that is the use of violence based upon prejudice,” said Christie.

Christie said Trump’s statement was dead wrong. We asked if Trump should be forgiven for that.

“I think that anybody in public life who asks for forgiveness should be forgiven. I think if you ask for forgiveness and you do so sincerely you should be because I know the president. I’ve known him for 15 years and I know that the president is not a racist and I absolutely believe that. But, it does not excuse the statement, the statement is just wrong.” he said.

(he did not mention antifas or anyone on the left at all today)
   3077. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 08:40 PM (#5518181)
   3078. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2017 at 08:56 PM (#5518188)
Shep Smith vs. Solar Eclipse. Who've ya got?

Shep Smith is awesome. Even if you like the eclipse, that's a very entertaining 2 minute video.
   3079. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2017 at 08:57 PM (#5518189)

Heh, exactly what I thought.

In that case, Canelo's going to knock the santorum out of him.
   3080. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2017 at 08:58 PM (#5518190)
Folks holding on to their wallets? The Democratic National Committee's Abysmal Fundraising:
Tom Perez has been chairman of the Democratic National Committee for about six months. During that brief tenure, the committee has accounted for three of its 14 worst monthly fundraising reports since Barack Obama was elected president. And its latest month was its worst since Obama was inaugurated more than eight years ago.

The DNC has had problems for years, often badly lagging behind the Republican National Committee in fundraising and struggling under the uneven leadership of Debbie Wasserman Schultz until her ouster last year. But even by its own standards, the start of 2017 has been bad.

After a strong $12.2 million raised in March — the first full month of Perez's chairmanship — fundraising has dried up considerably. The $4.7 million it raised in April was the lowest for that particular month since 2009. The $4.3 million raised in May was the worst for that month since 2003. And now the $3.8 million raised in July is the worst for any month since January 2009.
. . .
Notably, the DNC is also bleeding money rather than building up a war chest with which to fight the 2018 election. The DNC's cash on hand has dropped from more than $10 million when Perez took over to less than $7 million today. The committee has also seen its debts rise to $3.4 million. Combining its cash on hand with its debt, the DNC was $7.4 million in the black shortly after Perez took over at the end of February and is now just $3.4 million in the black.

For comparison's sake, here's what the Republican National Committee's balance sheet looks like this year. It has raised at least $9.5 million each month and carries no debt. Its cash on hand has risen from about $37 million in January to $47.1 million today — more than 13 times the net money that the DNC has available.

Maybe they need to bring back Debbie Wasserman Schultz?
   3081. Howie Menckel Posted: August 21, 2017 at 09:11 PM (#5518195)
Notably, the DNC is also bleeding money rather than building up a war chest with which to fight the 2018 election. The DNC's cash on hand has dropped from more than $10 million when Perez took over to less than $7 million today. The committee has also seen its debts rise to $3.4 million.

is that related to spending in special elections? if so (or even if not), that had the air of "c'mon, we gotta win something to get that momentum back." an understandable emotion - but this stuff is business.

I never have liked the all one party regime, and still don't. I have been assuming the Ds are more likely to win the Presidency in 2020, at least - right?
   3082. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: August 21, 2017 at 09:16 PM (#5518198)
Yes i saw that noted statesperson Sarah Palin complaining about Schultz on twitter today.

Palin/Clapper '20
   3083. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2017 at 09:19 PM (#5518201)
And BTW: some of you played softball with BDC Jr. last year. He was deployed overseas (mostly in Iraq) for nine months in an engineering unit, but is back in the US as of today, safe and sound.

Good to hear. Meanwhile, my brother -in-law (my sister's husband) nephew was one of the 3 Marines lost in the Osprey accident a couple of weeks ago.
   3084. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2017 at 09:20 PM (#5518202)
I have been assuming the Ds are more likely to win the Presidency in 2020, at least - right?

Whoever the major party nominees are in 2020 will have plenty of their own money.

RNC/DNC fundraising and organization is mainly helpful at the state and local levels. The 2020 election is big at the state level because whoever wins gets to redraw the districts after the census.
   3085. Howie Menckel Posted: August 21, 2017 at 09:25 PM (#5518208)
Meanwhile, my brother -in-law (my sister's husband) nephew was one of the 3 Marines lost in the Osprey accident a couple of weeks ago.

My God. I am so sorry for your loss - and that feels like the weakest sauce ever made.
but I don't have a lot more to offer - and I so wish that I did.

I've written about my Dad's own WW II wartime brushes. there but for the grace of God - or fate, or anything. I don't know. how the hell do we try to sort out who returns and who doesn't?

it also brings into stronger focus than ever my Dad's dogmatic refrain: "The only heroes are the ones who didn't get to come home." it gets said a lot, to this day. but it's hard for those of us who didn't serve - like me - to ever fully get it. for a long time, I thought he was just being diplomatic.

I should have known better. you can give a lofty word to those who served, survived harrowing moments, and came home. but those guys won't ever accept us giving the same word to them as to those who were not so fortunate.

Godspeed, Misirlou and family. it's been a long while since I cried like this.
   3086. BDC Posted: August 21, 2017 at 09:30 PM (#5518211)
My condolences, Misirlou, to you and the whole family.
   3087. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 09:53 PM (#5518219)
and that feels like the weakest sauce ever made.
I'm pretty sure we established that "That's too bad" is.

But, yes, condolences to Misirlou's family.
   3088. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: August 21, 2017 at 10:03 PM (#5518221)
Conor McGregor currently sitting at +325. Anyone who takes that action is Trump-level stupid.

95% of the bets being placed are on the McGregor side. The counter to that is that the average Mayweather bet is something like 35x the size of the average McGregor bet. Keep hearing the lines are going to keep shrinking as the books try to balance their risk.

People just aren't willing to bet a bunch to win a little, even if the math says it's the right move. Plus, everyone hates Mayweather.
   3089. Howie Menckel Posted: August 21, 2017 at 10:04 PM (#5518222)
I didn't mean to be so raw, but the first of my late Dad's 10 grandchildren got married 2 days ago - and that was emotional as well. so this just hit harder than ever. dammit. dammit. dammit.
   3090. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2017 at 10:37 PM (#5518246)
it's been a long while since I cried like this.

Thank you all. I know the feeling. I didn't know the guy at all. In fact, I've never met any of my BIL's family. But when he told me it hit me like a shot to the chest. Apparently, he and my BIL were pretty close to the same age. More like brothers than uncle/nephew.
   3091. Hot Wheeling American Posted: August 21, 2017 at 10:38 PM (#5518248)
Folks holding on to their wallets? The Democratic National Committee's Abysmal Fundraising

Wow, learn how to link much?
   3092. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2017 at 10:47 PM (#5518251)
how the hell do we try to sort out who returns and who doesn't?

I lost 2 friends in Desert Shield/Desert Storm. One was a pilot training classmate of mine who died in a C-5 crash out of Ramstein during Desert Shield. Another was a former instructor who was shot down and killed in his F-16 . Another instructor friend of mine was shot down in his A-10 and missing. We didn't know whether he was dead or alive until the POWs were returned after the hostilities ended. He is about 6'6", and was very reognizable when the POWs were shown on TV deplaning from the C-130 which retrieved them. The feeling of joy and relief seeing him on TV waving to the cameras on the steps of the plane were incredible.
   3093. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2017 at 11:04 PM (#5518257)
Folks holding on to their wallets? The Democratic National Committee's Abysmal Fundraising

A working link for the WaPo analysis of the DNC's fundraising woes excerpted in #380. Sorry if anyone was inconvenienced.
   3094. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 22, 2017 at 12:09 AM (#5518274)
ActBlue, the Democratic SuperPAC, has already raised $195 million in 2017. That's well ahead of its pace in the 2015-16 cycle, which was a presidential election.

Democratic Congressional committees have raised as much Republican Congressional committees.

The numbers reported by the Washington Post have much more to say about the DNC's current fiscal well-being than the Democratic candidates' ultimate fiscal well-being. Even Democrats aren't much in the mood to cry for the DNC these days.
   3095. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 22, 2017 at 12:10 AM (#5518275)
My GF and I talked about this as we're about to start the process of having a child. We're not really sure what we'd do if something showed up during the pregnancy. Any kind of handicap terrifies of course. I'm leaning towards an abortion if severe handicap is diagnosed early on.

If the doctor says "I'm very sorry; your child is going to turn out to be similar to Sam" -- abort.
   3096. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 22, 2017 at 12:12 AM (#5518276)
Good to hear. Meanwhile, my brother -in-law (my sister's husband) nephew was one of the 3 Marines lost in the Osprey accident a couple of weeks ago.

That's terrible. My condolences.
   3097. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 22, 2017 at 12:43 AM (#5518278)
For David, another high profile figure who doesn't think Trump is a racist... Actor Dean Cain:

"It's so interesting. It used to be that your rebels were rebelling against the ideas and this sort of thing. Now your true rebels are those who support the president. So if you support the president and his policies you are such a radical, and what a rebel you are. Hollywood is locked into a real strong groupthink right now, and anytime I get into a discussion about the president's policies and what policies I might support of the president's, it's immediately met with the most crazy vitriol. Once we start talking about things, we find common ground. But at the outset, boy it's just shock. They say things and they expect you to agree 100%. 'Oh, the president, he's a Nazi, he's this that and the other thing."' And I go, 'No, I don't believe he's a racist; I don't believe he's a Nazi; I don't believe there's any collusion with Russia,' and they look at me like I'm an alien."
   3098. PreservedFish Posted: August 22, 2017 at 01:03 AM (#5518284)
99% of Icelandic mothers would have aborted Dean Cain.
   3099. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 22, 2017 at 01:14 AM (#5518286)
Yeah, well, Christopher Reeve was talking about Donald Trump when he said "It's the American dream gone berserk, really, is what it is. You're allowed to dream as big as you want, but if your dreams step on the lives of ordinary people and ruin the quality of their lives and their neighborhoods, then they have to be stopped."

And everybody knows my Superman beats your Superman.
   3100. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 22, 2017 at 02:26 AM (#5518289)
For David, another high profile figure who doesn't think Trump is a racist... Actor Dean Cain:
Once again, the issue I raised was not whether everyone thinks "Trump is a racist," but whether people defend Trump's response to Charlottesville.
Page 31 of 33 pages ‹ First  < 29 30 31 32 33 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Don Malcolm
for his generous support.