Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 15, 2018

OTP 15 January 2018:Mississippi’s anti-gay marriage law is hurting two college baseball teams

The “stick to sports” mantra took on a life of its own in 2017, as the interweaving of sports and politics was undeniable and, ultimately, angered quite a few sports fans. Still, protests during the national anthem or political tweets by athletes never actually got in the way of the action or stopped games from being played.

But politics have halted a college baseball series between the University of Southern Mississippi and Stony Brook University, a public school in New York. The two schools were scheduled to meet in a three-game series in February, but dueling declarations in each state have now made that series impossible. The kicker? It has absolutely nothing to do with baseball.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 15, 2018 at 03:13 PM | 2103 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college baseball, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 22 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:14 AM (#5607095)
I'm with Ray in that I find historical figure bio-pics to be the most boring of all the movie genres.

Sure, but even for biopics of people you don't know or have never studied or heard about? It's basically like fiction at that point.
   102. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:22 AM (#5607098)
I enjoyed the King's Speech, but part of that was my eldest was going through speech therapy at the time and it was really great to take him to a movie like that. He loved it, especially the "naughty word" parts.

Of course I don't care much about strict historical accuracy in my movies. I mean seriously TV and movies are not real. Basically none of it. It is condensed, hyped, and over the top, and that is the realistic ones. If you want realistic then go outside and stare at people for a while.
   103. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:22 AM (#5607099)
do people here consider Iceland "Scandinavian"? I don't, but I'm a purist, I don't even think Finland is part of Scandinavia

Aren't the people living in Iceland mostly descendants of folks from Norway/Sweden?* For me, that would make the country Scandinavian. Finland, on the other hand...their language has nothing to do with Swedish or Danish or Norse, so who knows where they came from?

*Though didn't Denmark run it before it became independent? IDK, those Germanic tribes used to travel around a lot.
   104. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:24 AM (#5607100)
Of course I don't care much about strict historical accuracy in my movies.

I normally don't, but then I saw "Immortal Beloved" and I was angry for like two months.
   105. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:33 AM (#5607101)
Aren't the people living in Iceland mostly descendants of folks from Norway/Sweden?*

No, I think they're predominantly gnomes, with some elves as well.
   106. Greg K Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:45 AM (#5607103)
I'm with Ray in that I find historical figure bio-pics to be the most boring of all the movie genres.

Sure, but even for biopics of people you don't know or have never studied or heard about? It's basically like fiction at that point.

It does depend. For instance I really loved Silence, and from my perspective it doesn't really matter whether that was an entirely fictionalized story or one based on a historical Jesuit.

But to run some biopics off the top of my head...the recent Jesse Owens one, or Stephen Hawking. I knew next to nothing about the lives of those guys (aside from their big stage moments). Those movies actually were educational, as in I learned stuff I didn't know before, but still dull.

It just seems like in a bio-pic, especially one that wants to run the gamut from student-life to middle-age, the script doesn't have enough room to do much other than tick the necessary boxes of the person's life.

The genre can be well done. The Social Network is a kind of bio-pic and I really like that one. Part of it is scope. Generally those movies get better results when they narrow in on a specific moment, rather than try to tell a life. But, I can watch a mediocre comedy all day. A mediocre bio-pic makes me want to die.

Oddly enough, I really loved There Will Be Blood, which has all the constituent elements of a bio-pic.
   107. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:49 AM (#5607105)
Aren't the people living in Iceland mostly descendants of folks from Norway/Sweden?

Yes. That's what makes it so much cooler than Vanilla Iceland.
   108. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:54 AM (#5607107)

I'm with Ray in that
Any sentence that starts this way should cause you to seriously reexamine your life choices.
   109. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:58 AM (#5607111)
It just seems like in a bio-pic, especially one that wants to run the gamut from student-life to middle-age, the script doesn't have enough room to do much other than tick the necessary boxes of the person's life.

Very true, and moreover, mediocre/bad bio-pics tend to present them as a series of instantly, dramatically, and (usually) symbolically transformative moments, when we all know that life doesn't work that way 99% of the time. Really takes me out of the story- it's like having a big neon sign that flashes 'It didn't really happen like this.'
   110. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:59 AM (#5607112)
Well, I feel pretty confident that Ray wouldn't share Greg's love for There Will Be Blood.
   111. Morty Causa Posted: January 16, 2018 at 08:59 AM (#5607114)
I find historical figure bio-pics to be the most boring of all the movie genres.

Most are highly fictionalized. Patton, I suppose, is the exemplar here. Young Winston with Simon Ward and Ann Bancroft I found entertaining back in the day. John Ford's Young Mr. Lincoln is masterful and touching. Never saw the Lincoln movie with Day-Lewis. I guess stuff like Disney's Davy Crockett and Bonnie and Clyde and Laughton's Henry VIII, as well as things like The Ten Commandments(heh) and El Cid, deviate too wildly from historical fact to be true biopics. But, they are entertaining.
   112. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 09:00 AM (#5607115)
Oddly enough, I really loved There Will Be Blood, which has all the constituent elements of a bio-pic.

What's so odd about that? A great director working with one of the best actors of our time. The odd thing would have been if it turned out bad. "Gangs of New York", now that was a letdown, even with the historical tie-ins.
   113. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 09:04 AM (#5607121)
Greg K, have you seen Tous les Matins du Monde, about Marin Marais, viol player and composer during the reign of Louis XIV? I highly recommend it, and it lands in some of your wheelhouse of oldtimeyness I would think.
   114. Greg K Posted: January 16, 2018 at 09:08 AM (#5607123)
What's so odd about that? A great director working with one of the best actors of our time. The odd thing would have been if it turned out bad. "Gangs of New York", now that was a letdown, even with the historical tie-ins.

Well, I mean odd in that it had all the hallmarks of a genre I don't like.

But, as you say, great directors have a way of putting their own stamp on a genre (see: Coen Brothers).

Most are highly fictionalized. Patton, I suppose, is the exemplar here. Young Winston with Simon Ward and Ann Bancroft I found entertaining back in the day. John Ford's Young Mr. Lincoln is masterful and touching. Never saw the Lincoln movie with Day-Lewis. I guess stuff like Disney's Davy Crockett and Bonnie and Clyde and Laughton's Henry VIII, as well as things like The Ten Commandments(heh) and El Cid, deviate too wildly from historical fact to be true biopics. But, they are entertaining.

I'd say the best way to get me interested in a bio-pic is to tell me it is highly fictionalized. As it happens I just saw the trailer for that National Lampoon movie this morning. The trailer does read as a "ticking boxes" exercise...the dog with the gun to its head! Animal House!
But there is a bit of a meta-bit where they talk about how their Bill Murray and Chevy Chase look nothing like the actual people.
   115. Greg K Posted: January 16, 2018 at 09:10 AM (#5607124)
Greg K, have you seen Tous les Matins du Monde, about Marin Marais, viol player and composer during the reign of Louis XIV? I highly recommend it, and it lands in some of your wheelhouse of oldtimeyness I would think.

No, I'll have to make note of it. It's been a while since I watched a good 17th century period piece.
   116. Morty Causa Posted: January 16, 2018 at 09:10 AM (#5607125)

Manchester's biography, The Last Lion, which second volume, Alone, Hitchens references only to dismiss on the point in question, is really good. Both the first and second volumes are equally good, but that second volume, which deals extensively with his years as a political pariah, is both touching and awe-inspiring.
   117. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 16, 2018 at 09:18 AM (#5607127)

Manchester's biography, The Last Lion, which second volume, Alone, which Hitchens references only to dismiss, is really good. Both the first and second volumes are equally good, but that second volume, which deals extensively with his years as a political pariah, is both touching and awe-inspiring.

I just started reading vol 3, started by Manchester but he didn't finish before he died, and finished by Paul Reid. Just got to the French surrender.
   118. Morty Causa Posted: January 16, 2018 at 09:24 AM (#5607131)
I'm still ginning myself up to read that third volume. Those first two volumes are so good, and much of that is because of Manchester's magnificent narrative ability and prose style that I fear I will be--like most reviewers were, I believe--disappointed. His biography of MacArthur is also great.
   119. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 09:34 AM (#5607137)
Steve Bannon to face House Russia investigators Tuesday
Washington (CNN) — Steve Bannon, President Donald Trump's former chief strategist whose political fortunes have taken a roller-coaster fall in the wake of his comments in a scathing book on Trump, will be questioned on Tuesday by lawmakers about the Trump team and Russia.

Bannon's interview with the House Intelligence Committee will be his first appearance on Capitol Hill before any of the committees investigating Russian election meddling and possible collusion by the Trump campaign with Russian officials during the 2016 election.

Bannon's testimony is highly anticipated thanks to the Michael Wolff book "Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House," in which Bannon is quoted disparaging Trump's son Donald Trump Jr. and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, calling their June 2016 meeting with a Russian lawyer promising dirt on Hillary Clinton "treasonous."
   120. SandyRiver Posted: January 16, 2018 at 09:41 AM (#5607139)
Iceland is definitely Scandinavian. There’s a Nordic House in Reykjavík, the Scandinavia House in New York includes Iceland prominently, etc. But that’s only their opinion, you can define it any way you want :)

Folks in Iceland proudly claim that their language is that of the Vikings, not corrupted by Teutonic (and other) influences like Norwegian and Swedish. And I would include Finland in Scandinavia despite its totally different language, mainly because its indigenous people, the Saami, are the same as for Norway and Sweden. (for Denmark, the connection is more with the cultures. I don't think the Saami ever lived there.)

Going back to the MS law, which I've not studied: The Bible has many dozens of negative references to adultery and fornication, only a handful concerning homosexuality. Nevertheless, scripture clearly describes marriage, in both OT and NT, as between one man and one woman and that sexual intimacy outside of that is sinful (while honestly noting that some of its "heroes" have deviated from that pattern.) A Bible-literalist government employee would see granting a license to a same-sex couple as condoning continued sin, while granting it to a sexually active heterosexual couple would lead to ending that sin. The tension between religious conscience and non-discrimination will probably always lead to strong disagreement.
   121. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5607145)
Denials by Cotton and Perdue of profane Trump comment encapsulate why people distrust politicians

After Dick Durbin said Friday that President Trump had complained about the United States taking immigrants from “shitthole countries,” two Republican senators who attended the meeting took issue with their Democratic colleague.

“[W]e do not recall the president saying these comments specifically,” David Perdue (Ga.) and Tom Cotton (Ark.) said in a joint statement that read like it was drafted by a lawyer.

By Sunday morning, their memories had cleared up. “I am telling you that he did not use that word. And I’m telling you it’s a gross misrepresentation,” Perdue said indignantly on ABC’s “This Week.”

“I didn’t hear it, and I was sitting no further away from Donald Trump than Dick Durbin was,” Cotton said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

They didn’t stop there. Both men then impugned the Illinois senator’s integrity by alleging he has a history of making stuff up.

Now we know the real story: “Three White House officials said Perdue and Cotton told the White House that they heard ‘shithouse’ rather than ‘shithole,’ allowing them to deny the president’s comments on television over the weekend,” according to Josh Dawsey, Robert Costa and Ashley Parker.....

Wouldn't you love to force those two weasels to tell us how they distinguish "shithouse" from "shithole"?

Along related lines, Michael Gerson has now crossed the line and openly calls Trump a racist.** I wonder how long it'll take Ray, Clapper and (((JE))) to follow suit?

1. Today
2. Tomorrow
3. Next month
4. November 7, 2018
5. November 4, 2020
6. In a sealed letter to be opened upon their death
7. Never
** On this issue, Trump has not earned a single benefit of the doubt. His racial demagoguery in the Central Park Five case . . . his attribution of Kenyan citizenship to Barack Obama . . . his references to Mexican migrants as rapists and murderers . . . his unconstitutional attempt at a Muslim ban . . . his moral equivocation following the deadly protests in Charlottesville . . . his statement, reported by the New York Times, that Nigerians would never “go back to their huts” after seeing America . . . all of these constitute an elaborate pattern of bigotry. Trump makes off-hand racist comments, he promotes racist stereotypes and he incites racism as a political strategy.

And still it is difficult for me to write the words: “The President of the United States is a racist.” The implications are horrible, but unavoidable. ...
   122. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:06 AM (#5607152)

51. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 15, 2018 at 07:40 PM (#5606952)
The Darling Buds maybe? I don't think they ever really charted in the US.

57. Shredder Posted: January 15, 2018 at 08:12 PM (#5606976)

I thought of them too. Also maybe Altered Images, but they were about half a generation earlier than the Cranberries.

58. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 15, 2018 at 08:16 PM (#5606980)
Voice of the Beehive?

Thanks, Zonk -- Darling Buds is (are?) who I was trying to summon from misty memory. No actual U.S. hits, but a domestic release.

(Voice of the Beehive occurred to me, too, but I knew I wasn't thinking of a band with more than one vocalist.)

Sort of like back in the late '70s/early '80s when we had a wave of seemingly interchangeable young dark-haired actresses gaining prominence around the same time-- Debra Winger, Margot Kidder, Brooke Adams ...
   123. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:08 AM (#5607154)
Ten or 15 years ago* I happened upon their album "Equally Cursed and Blessed" at the public library. Like it very much. Ceris Matthews has a wonderfully intriguing voice.

Speaking of whom (since they had a UK hit called "Mulder & Scully"), this weekend I watched the first 2 new X-Files episodes. Particularly looking forward to the 4th one, which will tackle the Mandela Effect.
   124. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:13 AM (#5607157)
I don't share much of the excitement over Bannon's committee hearing -

First, it's a closed meeting -- and the only excitement I could see would come from potentially more Bannon-Trump fireworks being generated... Hence, the best we'll get would be vague leaks. It's also the House Intel committee - and at this point, thinking a House committee would be of any use is about as good a bet as Ray recommending a French arthouse movie about two celibate lesbians who struggle to stage a theatrical production of the life and death of Olympe de Gouges.

Second, the explosiveness of Bannon re: Russia in Fire & Fury is all about Bannon's unflattering descriptions of the Trump kids. His reactions are essentially real-time responses to the news as it is reported, not any foreshadowing that he was involved or cryptic hint he's got more to say. I suppose it's also revealing that one of the key (perhaps the most key, besides the Orange himself) Trumpkins actually believes what most non-Trumpkins believe about I Love It! - but that's really more of a rare break in character from a Trumpkin. They usually manage to bury such thoughts and feelings beneath a facade of obsequiousness.

I would be more interested if Bannon were testifying publicly - but only because I would enjoy watching him either trash the family Trump, or, continue to debase himself in a desperate, futile effort to get out of the doghouse. Either would make for fun political theater, but neither has any particular value besides the inherent fun of both possibilities.

The picture I get from both F&F and other reporting on Bannon - not to mention his own words and actions in the time we've spent getting to know him - is that he's the quintessential "thinks he's smarter than he is" sort.... such folks rarely have any sort of hidden jackpot they've managed to keep secret.
   125. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:16 AM (#5607159)
Thanks, Zonk -- Darling Buds is (are?) who I was trying to summon from misty memory. No actual U.S. hits, but a domestic release.

Actually beating Shredder to the punch on such a question is all the thanks I need :-)

EDIT: wikipedia says they still "are" - but with Andrea Lewis Jarvis the only remaining original member.
   126. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:27 AM (#5607161)
Some Swede once told me that Scandinavia was Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, and that Finland and Iceland joined to make the "Nordic" countries, but I don't know if she was dumbing it down for me or what. I've heard it's at *least* as complicated as England/Britain, and that there's no definitive consensus on whether any of these terms are geographic, political, ethnic, linguistic, or some combination of all of those.
   127. Shredder Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5607163)
Ten or 15 years ago* I happened upon their album "Equally Cursed and Blessed" at the public library. Like it very much. Ceris Matthews has a wonderfully intriguing voice.
The album just prior, "International Velvet", was probably their best. But ECaB was also pretty good. Darling Buds had "Crystal Clear", which got a fair amount of play on KROQ. That whole album (Crawdaddy) was pretty good. Can't say I recall anything else from them though.
   128. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:33 AM (#5607165)
Well, I feel pretty confident that Ray wouldn't share Greg's love for There Will Be Blood.

I aggressively avoided seeing it.
   129. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:34 AM (#5607166)

Some Swede once told me that Scandinavia was Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, and that Finland and Iceland joined to make the "Nordic" countries, but I don't know if she was dumbing it down for me or what.
She was just quoting wikipedia for you:
Scandinavia[a] /ˌskændɪˈneɪviə/ is a region in Northern Europe, characterized by common ethnocultural North Germanic heritage and mutually intelligible North Germanic languages.[2] The term Scandinavia in local usage covers the three kingdoms of Denmark, Norway and Sweden, but in English usage, it also sometimes refers to the Scandinavian Peninsula or to the broader region which includes Finland and Iceland.[1] This broader region is usually known locally as the Nordic countries.[
   130. Omineca Greg Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5607170)
But that’s only their opinion, you can define it any way you want :)

But when does it end. Greenland? Svalbard? Jan Mayen? Karelia?

St Croix?

Delaware?

The Gold Coast?

Anywhere there's an IKEA?

OK, and even semi-seriously, how 'bout the UK? They payed their danegeld in good faith, did they not?

I'd draw a distinction between Nordic and Scandinavian. Being Nordic is a state of mind. Being Scandinavian is a matter of geography...except for Finns.

EDIT: A Trocadero to Peptech.
   131. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5607171)

Now, Gangs of New York I did see. And I couldn't walk out as I was with family members.

Immediately as the credits rolled I thought, when do the Nuremberg trials start for anyone associated with this monstrosity? Happily they've identified themselves right here in the credits and so we can run out and apprehend them before they have a chance to kill themselves or move to a remote place on the planet under an assumed name and with a whole new identity.
   132. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5607173)
Immediately as the credits rolled I thought, when do the Nuremberg trials start for anyone associated with this monstrosity?

I admire someone like you who can have so many Derangement Syndromes going on at once. I assume the sheer number of hysterical delusions you harbor is the only thing keeping you from going absolutely bonkers, like how Monty Burns is kept alive by the sheer number of competing pathogens in his system.

The movie would have been fine but for the stupid romantic subplot that was shoehorned in there needlessly.
   133. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:49 AM (#5607174)
Now, Gangs of New York I did see. And I couldn't walk out as I was with family members.

Immediately as the credits rolled I thought, when do the Nuremberg trials start for anyone associated with this monstrosity? Happily they've identified themselves right here in the credits and so we can run out and apprehend them before they have a chance to kill themselves or move to a remote place on the planet under an assumed name and with a whole new identity.

If you substitute "The Revenant" for "Gangs of New York" and "my fiancee" for "family members," that was exactly my reaction too. Watching that movie was about the longest six weeks of my life.
   134. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:50 AM (#5607175)
Daniel Day-Lewis is the male Meryl Streep. 60ish actor/actress who has had a long career without being in much of anything that was actually good, although he's somehow gained an outsized reputation in an Emperor's New Clothes sort of way. I'll give him There Will Be Blood, as I haven't seen it but apparently it got great reviews. We can give him Lincoln too, though I didn't see that one either. But he was GREAT as Lincoln don't you know and that really turns people on!!! In a Gary Oldman over-acting as Churchill sort of way. Streep had Out of Africa and the Margaret Thatcher silliness. Then we're down to Last of the Mohicans for DDL and The River Wild for Streep, which was the movie of Streep's I most enjoyed though it wasn't any act of cinematic achievement.

DDL has threatened to retire. Since I didn't know he was here I won't know after he leaves.
   135. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5607176)
She was just quoting wikipedia for you:
Well, this was in 1991, so I feel pretty safe claiming that if there's a correlation, Wiki got it from her.

My 14 year old showed me a video that tried to explain it all, including the (new-to-me) term FennoScandia, which a quick Wiki check tells me is a broader geographic swath. But the narrator talked fast and seemed to be playing it for humor so I don't know how accurate it all was.

Belgium/Netherlands/Flanders is another region that confuses the heck out of everyone, including the inhabitants. And don't get a Basque started, you'll never escape.
   136. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5607178)
Wikipedia says "Finland is a Nordic country and, together with Scandinavia, is situated in the geographical region of Fennoscandia." Fennoscandia!

Finland was ruled by Sweden for 500 years, and about 1 in 20 people there speak Swedish as their native language. The great Tove Jannson is the Finnish writer who's probably best known in the West, and she wrote in Swedish.

EDIT: Some lingonberry soda for the previous mention of FennoScandia.
   137. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5607179)
The movie would have been fine but for the stupid romantic subplot that was shoehorned in there needlessly.

The movie was cromulent+ for a number of reasons. I mean, young men did have sweethearts and people took such things seriously. It was the poor writing of said subplot that was a larger issue than the subplot's existence.

Burying Manhattan natives in Brooklyn was another nonsensical irritation, it seemed, but I found the 60-second evolution of the city before the end credits to be surprisingly moving.
   138. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:56 AM (#5607182)
If you substitute "The Revenant" for "Gangs of New York" and "my fiancee" for "family members," that was exactly my reaction too. Watching that movie was about the longest six weeks of my life.

I wonder if you saw it in the same theater that I did. They were having trouble with the projector and so had to start and stop it and rewind it several times. I saw Leo get attacked by the bear three or four times. Then, mercifully, the technical difficulties became too much and they had to stop the film altogether.

I never went back to watch it again, and haven't had another thought about it since.
   139. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:57 AM (#5607183)

Why do people think that Leonardo DiCaprio is a good actor? I can not stand him.
   140. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5607184)
Why do people think that Leonardo DiCaprio is a good actor?

One of the great mysteries of our time.
   141. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 16, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5607185)
60ish actor/actress who has had a long career without being in much of anything that was actually good.
Which you state as canon even though you admit you haven't seen any of their films.

Ironweed - period pic, forget it. My Left Foot? Biopic, not worthy. Deer Hunter? That was kind of about the war, right? Nah. The Boxer? That was "about" the Irish, and sort of biopic, too.

You gave a great explanation of why you don't like certain genres, and that's fine; those are your tastes. Dismissing actors out of hand because they perform in those genres is unseemly.
   142. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5607186)
I wonder if you saw it in the same theater that I did. They were having trouble with the projector and so had to start and stop it and rewind it several times. I saw Leo get attacked by the bear three or four times. Then, mercifully, the technical difficulties became too much and they had to stop the film altogether.

Ha - no, I had to sit through the entire thing without any technical difficulties. I think that may have actually been worse, in that at least you didn't have to endure the second half.
   143. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5607187)
It was the poor writing of said subplot that was a larger issue than the subplot's existence.

Whoever decided to cast Cameron Diaz in GoNY should have their children taken away ...
   144. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5607188)
Why do people think that Leonardo DiCaprio is a good actor? I can not stand him.

I have no problem watching him; but he does simply seem to be an attractive, charismatic man who is playing himself with slight variation in every film. Standard studio movie star of the classic tradition.
   145. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:02 AM (#5607190)

I think he's fine in the role of disaffected outsider with a chip on his shoulder, but that's probably mainly because I did enjoy him in both The Departed and Critters 3.
   146. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5607191)
Which you state as canon even though you admit you haven't seen any of their films.

Ironweed - period pic, forget it. My Left Foot? Biopic, not worthy. Deer Hunter? That was kind of about the war, right? Nah. The Boxer? That was "about" the Irish, and sort of biopic, too.

You gave a great explanation of why you don't like certain genres, and that's fine; those are your tastes. Dismissing actors out of hand because they perform in those genres is unseemly.

Forget it PepTech, it's RayRaytown ...
   147. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5607193)
#134 borders on insanity.

And Ironweed is an amazing film of an amazing book. A rare excellent adaptation in the tradition of Huston's "The Dead", which was also incredible.
   148. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5607194)

I thought he was really good in "Catch Me If You Can".

I think most of his original fame came from women LOVING him in certain movies (Titanic, Romeo + Juliet), and the fact that he did "different" roles ("What's Eating Gilbert Grape?", "The Basketball Diaries", ones where he wasn't some hunky teenage heart throb).

I've thought that all the fame that DiCaprio has is dependent on River Phoenix dying and not stealing all his roles.
   149. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:09 AM (#5607196)
I don't care about Brazilian politics.

The way that I experience and demonstrate my total lack of caring about Brazilian politics is simple. I don't constantly expose myself to Brazilian politics. I don't actually know anything about Brazilian politics. It's not that I constantly pretend not to pay attention to Brazilian politics while actually being consumed by it. I honestly don't know.

I don't harbor rabid opinions about slews and slews of Brazilian politicians, and thus I'm not constantly working myself up about the latest thing some Brazilian politician has said, or a project he is pursuing, or what other people think about them. However, neither do I start with the nonstop assumption that anything having to do with Brazilian politics is worthless, because that would be caring about Brazilian politics. And as I've mentioned, I don't.

Finally -- this post aside -- I never spend my time writing daily updates about how much I absolutely don't care about Brazilian politics. Nor do I attempt to engage people who do pay attention to Brazilian politics for the sole purpose of calling them tasteless chumps, with the obvious subtext being "unlike myself." Because it would be weird and cheerless to feel the need to define myself by my lack of interest in Brazilian politics.
   150. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:09 AM (#5607197)
I saw Leo get attacked by the bear three or four times.
I would think that would be a feature, not a bug...
   151. Traderdave Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM (#5607199)
DiCaprio's performance in Django was excellent, world class. I haven't seen every Leo movie but that was his finest, IMO.
   152. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM (#5607200)
I enjoyed the King's Speech, but part of that was my eldest was going through speech therapy at the time and it was really great to take him to a movie like that. He loved it, especially the "naughty word" parts.
Dilly dilly?
   153. BDC Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5607201)
mutually intelligible North Germanic languages

As with a lot of linguistic situations in Europe, it's pretty complicated. Norwegian and Danish are essentially the same language, though their standard written forms differ enough to make translation necessary, and spoken dialects can be quite far apart the further you go. Swedish is not transparent for Danes or vice versa. Written texts definitely need translation. But Denmark and Sweden are in much closer contact than Norway is with either. Copenhagen and Malmö constitute the same metro area. So Swedes and Danes talk to each other a lot, especially Danes from the east of Sjelland (the main island) and Swedes from Skåne in the south. The general idea is for each to speak their own language in the conversation and the other to make a stab at understanding. This works fine if you're in practice, but if not – I've visited Sweden with La Dernière, who is a native speaker of Danish, and her comprehension of Swedish is somewhat limited. And the further you get from the border, the harder it gets.

Icelandic, forget it. It is basically incomprehensible to Danes or Swedes, though often you can look at written forms and see resemblances. Many older Icelanders learned Danish in school in colonial or postcolonial times (Iceland became independent in 1946), though, so Danes can get by there if they pick out older people to talk to :)

Finland, yes, different language family. Related to Estonian.
   154. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5607202)
Don't get me started on Getúlio Vargas, Gonfalon... I'm warning you.
   155. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:22 AM (#5607203)
Leo is overrated for sure but I never thought he couldn't act. The Departed, Catch Me If You Can, Gilbert Grape, Titanic.... whatever your opinion is of these movies he seemed to do a fine job.
   156. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:24 AM (#5607206)
It's Brad Pitt who doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's simply a powerhouse actor.

For powerhouse actresses Angelina Jolie is right at the top.

(Their personal connection isn't what causes me to link them here. Actually I think since they're both good looking people they don't get enough credit for their ability.)
   157. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:24 AM (#5607207)
Denials by Cotton and Perdue of profane Trump comment encapsulate why people distrust politicians
OMG, these politicians might be lying?!? Where's my fainting couch?

Now where's the outrage when a politico lies about actual issues that directly affect his/her constituents?

The Sarasota Herald Tribune reported that environmentalists felt "betrayed" by Nelson.

"For most of the past decade Sen. Bill Nelson has been a leader in repelling attempts to drill for oil off Florida," the paper wrote. "But on Wednesday, just as Obama announced plans to allow rigs 125 miles from Sarasota—100 miles closer than currently allowed—Nelson gave his tacit approval to the deal."

"That was the real surprise," said Environment Florida's Adam Rivera. "I have never seen the membership of my organization so upset. They are angry at President Obama, and those who are aware that Senator Nelson apparently supports President Obama's plan, feel betrayed."

Nelson's office told reporters the senator was part of the planning process and convinced the White House to adopt a 125-mile buffer zone, which he believed was enough to protect Florida from ecological impacts.

Exactly three weeks after Nelson announced his support for the drilling plan came the April 20, 2010, Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion that spewed 4.9 million barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. Though it was located more than 125 miles from the coast, the oil reached the Florida coast.

The Obama administration responded by rescinding its March proposal to allow for new drilling in the Gulf. Nelson had signaled to the administration after the spill that he no longer could support the plan.

Asked for comment on Nelson's 2010 support for Obama's plan to open up drilling off Florida's coast, Nelson’s Senate office denied he ever supported the plan.

"He’s never endorsed such a plan," said Ryan Brown, Nelson's communications director. "Sen. Nelson has been fighting to keep oil rigs away from Florida’s coast his entire life."
Right, crickets.
   158. Traderdave Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5607208)
It's Brad Pitt who doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's simply a powerhouse actor.

For powerhouse actresses Angelina Jolie is right at the top.

Their work in Frasier and 5-0 is criminally underrated.
   159. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5607209)

So you say.
   160. Traderdave Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:27 AM (#5607211)
Re: Titanic

I recall being at work the Monday after the premiere weekend of that movie. I overheard a watercooler convo where some guy said: "It's the best movie I've ever seen. Except for maybe Forrest Gump."

That was all I needed to avoid that flick permanently. Did I maker the right call?

161. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:30 AM (#5607213)
Pitt has excellent range, as does McConaughey - there is a real difference between actors of that ilk and DiCaprio. Again, who I don't mind watching, I just don't think he has the same skill set. Clooney belongs with DiCaprio there, and I find him entertaining and charismatic. Just not that notable as an actor.

I mean, not giving Lewis props as an actor is stupid, but the view on Pitt is accurate.

Titanic was entertaining and cinematic, it was a good film, absolutely above average. Forrest Gump was ####### garbage.
   162. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:30 AM (#5607214)
I have never seen Titanic.

Does that make me superior, inferior, or something else?
   163. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:33 AM (#5607216)
Besides the already-mentioned "Catch Me If You Can" and "Django Unchained," Leonardo DiCaprio is also very good for his few minutes of screen time in the otherwise unwatchable "Celebrity." Like finding a pearl in a turd.
   164. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:34 AM (#5607217)
Looks like poor Mia Love won't be getting her apology....

Boy... who do Republicans side with... the Haitian black woman or the Big Orange... Hmmm.... the suspense is killing me.
   165. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:34 AM (#5607218)
Random top 100 greatest actors of all time list on imdb.

DDL is #5. Lol.

For my money among the top of the last 50 years (or maybe 40) are Pitt, Denzel, Sean Penn, and Depp.

Here's a companion female list.

It has Streep #2. You can't make it up.

I'd go with Jolie or Kidman.
   166. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5607219)
I recall being at work the Monday after the premiere weekend of that movie. I overheard a watercooler convo where some guy said: "It's the best movie I've ever seen. Except for maybe Forrest Gump."

That was all I needed to avoid that flick permanently. Did I maker the right call?

I didn't walk out, so no.

Neither did I think I was watching anything special. It was a fun story, even moving, but far too Disneyish in feel.

EDIT: I seem to recall that the cinematography/graphics was groundbreaking for its time.

167. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5607220)
Never seen Titanic either.

I recall a friend of mine proclaiming Forrest Gump as his favorite movie ever. In fairness, at the time we were staring down the barrel of the baseball strike, so perhaps his wits were scrambled.
   168. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5607222)

OMG, these politicians might be lying?!? Where's my fainting couch?

Well, JE, here's a chance to faint on it once again, because questions like this always seem to leave you at a loss for words:

Is Trump a racist?

Or does he just say things that are "unfortunate" or "unhelpful"?
   169. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5607223)
Pitt has excellent range, as does McConaughey - there is a real difference between actors of that ilk and DiCaprio. Again, who I don't mind watching, I just don't think he has the same skill set. Clooney belongs with DiCaprio there, and I find him entertaining and charismatic. Just not that notable as an actor.

Clooney belongs with Streep/DDL. The royalty status he's achieved is simply not based on his talent or the work product he's produced.
   170. Jay Z Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5607224)

The way that I experience and demonstrate my total lack of caring about Brazilian politics is simple. I don't constantly expose myself to Brazilian politics. I don't actually know anything about Brazilian politics. It's not that I constantly pretend not to pay attention to Brazilian politics while actually being consumed by it. I honestly don't know.

I don't harbor rabid opinions about slews and slews of Brazilian politicians, and thus I'm not constantly working myself up about the latest thing some Brazilian politician has said, or a project he is pursuing, or what other people think about them. However, neither do I start with the nonstop assumption that anything having to do with Brazilian politics is worthless, because that would be caring about Brazilian politics. And as I've mentioned, I don't.

Finally -- this post aside -- I never spend my time writing daily updates about how much I absolutely don't care about Brazilian politics. Nor do I attempt to engage people who do pay attention to Brazilian politics for the sole purpose of calling them tasteless chumps, with the obvious subtext being "unlike myself." Because it would be weird and cheerless to feel the need to define myself by my lack of interest in Brazilian politics.

Then put Ray on ignore. He's not going to go away, he's not going to start posting less, and the quality won't improve.
   171. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5607225)
Despite my politics and aesthetics indicating that I am not supposed to like Forrest Gump, I rather enjoyed it... and as it seems to have joined Shawshank Redemption in the regular cable rotation, I will also admit occasionally still re-watching at least parts of it on random afternoons.
   172. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5607227)

Does that make me superior, inferior, or something else?
Yes.
   173. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5607228)
Despite my politics and aesthetics indicating that I am not supposed to like Forrest Gump, I rather enjoyed it... and as it seems to have joined Shawshank Redemption in the regular cable rotation, I will also admit occasionally still re-watching at least parts of it on random afternoons.

I found it perfectly OK, if insanely overrated.
   174. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM (#5607229)
Boy... who do Republicans side with... the Haitian black woman or the Big Orange... Hmmm.... the suspense is killing me.
That single tear rolling down your cheek is so moving that it makes us wonder what emotions you display when she and Tim Scott and other black Republicans get labeled Uncle Toms....
   175. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM (#5607230)
I found it perfectly OK, if insanely overrated.

Cosign.
   176. BDC Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5607231)
As the best of the current big-star actors and actresses I would pick Denzel Washington and Matthew McConaughey; Michelle Williams and Amy Adams. I like actors with some range (as Lassus notes of McConaughey) and some capacity for understatement as well as for energy. Everyone's mileage is going to vary here.

Daniel Day-Lewis works extremely hard, but I prefer acting where, as Humphrey Bogart said of Spencer Tracy, you can't see the mechanism at work. I understand why Meryl Streep annoys people, for instance, her million perfect accents and her cornering of the market for prestige roles for women of whatever age she happens to be. But she is phenomenally good at concealing the mechanism.
   177. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5607232)
Otherwise, as of this a.m. I'm about 20 minutes into Dunkirk. (I've developed the habit of watching flicks during the interval between getting out of bed & taking a shower before heading off to work.) It certainly seems to begin rather ... abruptly. Do we ever get any background beyond the 100 or so words of text at the outset?
   178. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5607233)
Hmmm I really enjoyed Coppola's Marie Antoinette precisely because it clearly didn't give a crap about accuracy (I was on the fence until a scene where some modern sneakers are visible in her closet, and cracked up), but I don't remember if it was actually a good movie.
   179. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:42 AM (#5607234)
Otherwise, as of this a.m. I'm about 20 minutes into Dunkirk. (I've developed the habit of watching flicks during the interval between getting out of bed & taking a shower before heading off to work.) It certainly seems to begin rather ... abruptly. Do we ever get any background beyond the 100 or so words of text at the outset?

Spoiler Alert.... No.
   180. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5607235)
Is Trump a racist?

So... Senator Nelson's lie about an actual issue of consequence doesn't bother you, only the possible lying by Cotton and Perdue on what, \"########\" versus "shithouse?" Like I said, CRICKETS.
   181. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5607236)
As the best of the current big-star actors and actresses I would pick Denzel Washington and Matthew McConaughey; Michelle Williams and Amy Adams. I like actors with some range and some capacity for understatement as well as for energy. Everyone's mileage is going to vary here.

I thought of McConaughey too but I didn't put him down because I figured it was just me enjoying his work/films, as opposed to any serious all-time great acting chops that he has. Sort of like Tom Cruise.
   182. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5607238)
All those "Greatest Actors" lists are fun but meaningless. Once you get past Barbara Stanwyck, Lon Chaney, Jean Gabin, Toshiro Mifune, James Stewart,** and Daniel Day-Lewis,*** you can put the next 50 or so in random order and you'll never go too wrong. Not only does anyone's rankings depend on how far back your knowledge of movies goes, but it also depends on what genres you like and don't like, and whether you like the actor's screen persona. Trying to pretend to "objectivity"**** is a mug's game.*****

** Hi, Morty!
*** Hi, Ray!
**** Hi, David!
***** Hi again, Morty!
   183. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5607239)
Spoiler Alert.... No.

Well, that's an interesting decision. Though come to think of it IIRC Saving Private Ryan (to pull another modern WWII movie* out of my memory banks) starts right in the middle of the beach invasion, so whatever.

OTOH, I'm going to go out on a limb & posit that D-Day was rather more familiar to theater-going audiences than Dunkirk ... though as stupid as people in general are (not counting those who Don't Care® about history or much of anything else), probably I'm being unduly optimistic

*That I see came out 20 years ago. Noooooooo.
   184. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5607241)
"Marie Antionette" and "A Knight's Tale" would make for a fun double-feature.
   185. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5607243)
Denzel and Kidman are solid choices, as is Pitt. I saw Mystic River at a weird time of my life, and have a negative impression of Sean Penn because of it, even though it was well acted.

I didn't care for Gump, either, but I thought Hanks was good in Philadelphia BITD. Actresses are harder to measure, for me, because the meaty roles aren't as frequent. Ellen Barkin and Helena Bonham Carter are pretty much always worth watching. Jolie? She's decorative, but I don't know as to acting chops, haven't seen her in much besides Lara Croft and Mr./Mrs. Smith.
   186. Traderdave Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5607244)
After I told a buddy about the Titanic watercooler chat, he said this, or words to this effect: "Bunch of saps get a boat. Boat sinks. But you see Kate Winslet naked."

Some months after the movie I was at a wedding where a very talented singer did a rendition of that nauseating "Heart Will Go On" song. While I hadn't seen the movie, I had read enough to know that loverboy dies. I jokingly asked the groom how he felt about a wedding song in which he dies. His eyes got big and he asked me to clarify. The groom hadn't seen the movie and the best man had to gently explain what the song was about. They each seemed mildly offended that I was laughing so hard.
   187. BDC Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5607245)
Once you get past Barbara Stanwyck

Apparently impossible in your case :)

188. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5607246)
My favorite actor working today remains David Strathairn.

Actress? I'm not sure. I'll watch anything with Juno Temple in it, but I'm not sure whether acting ability has anything to do with that.
   189. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:50 AM (#5607247)
Is Trump a racist?

So... Senator Nelson's lie about an actual issue of consequence doesn't bother you, only the possible lying by Cotton and Perdue on what, "########" versus "shithouse?" Like I said, CRICKETS.

I didn't ask you for your opinion on whether politicians lie. I asked you whether Trump is a racist. I kind of figured you'd avoid answering it with a simple "yes" or "no", out of fear of kiboshing some future job prospect,** but I'm glad to see you on non-record once again.

** OTOH I'm perfectly willing to listen to whatever other reason you might have for pleading the 5th on this oh-so-delicate subject.
   190. BDC Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5607248)
By living actors, three of the greatest performances I have ever seen are by Jean-Louis Trintignant in Z, Il Conformista, and Amour. I haven't seen very many of his other films (maybe none?), but he is wonderful to watch in those pictures. He just turned 87.
   191. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5607250)

That single tear rolling down your cheek is so moving that it makes us wonder what emotions you display when she and Tim Scott and other black Republicans get labeled Uncle Toms....

In fact, I've universally condemned it - not just here and elsewhere digitally, but I've also had a couple arguments with a liberal black friend who likes to use the slur...

But - avoid the question yet again... just like you did some time back when I actually brought up Tim Scott and things he said during the minority policing debate.

So by all means, point me to the liberal saying such and I will gladly denounce it. My conscience is clear on the matter....

How is yours on charges of window dressing and tokenism when Mia Love or Tim Scott break ranks regarding the shitholiness (or sorry, ####house-iness) of African nations or Haiti or whether there really is a problem with minorities being profiled, targeted or otherwise subjected to extraordinary policing based on skin color?
   192. Lassus Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5607251)
So... Senator Nelson's lie about an actual issue of consequence doesn't bother you

From your quote:
Nelson gave his tacit approval to the deal."

"That was the real surprise," said Environment Florida's Adam Rivera. "I have never seen the membership of my organization so upset. They are angry at President Obama, and those who are aware that Senator Nelson apparently supports President Obama's plan, feel betrayed."

Highlights mine. Which lie of consequence is this? Can you actually point to it?

EDIT: I guess this is another "didn't oppose". The way you wield that cudgel - against others - is enduring, true enough.
   193. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5607253)
Once you get past Barbara Stanwyck

Apparently impossible in your case :)

Well, she's the Barry Bonds of movies, minus the steroids. There's not a single character type she didn't play convincingly, over a career that spanned 5 full decades.
   194. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5607254)
Jolie? She's decorative, but I don't know as to acting chops, haven't seen her in much besides Lara Croft and Mr./Mrs. Smith.

Changeling.
   195. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5607255)
After I told a buddy about the Titanic watercooler chat, he said this, or words to this effect: "Bunch of saps get a boat. Boat sinks. But you see Kate Winslet naked."

So maybe it is worth watching?
   196. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5607257)
Now we know the real story: “Three White House officials said Perdue and Cotton told the White House that they heard ‘shithouse’ rather than ‘shithole,’ allowing them to deny the president’s comments on television over the weekend,” according to Josh Dawsey, Robert Costa and Ashley Parker.....

I believe I called it on Friday.

What a bunch of idiots.
   197. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5607259)
Changeling
I was not aware of this movie, I'll check it out. I'm a fan of J Michael Straczynki.

Isn't it considered a period piece, and kind of a biopic? What possessed you to see it?
   198. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 16, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5607260)
By the time we get to Joaquin Phoenix, this list of top actors will be risin'.
   199. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 16, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5607263)
"Joaquin" sounds vaguely Brazilian, Gonfalon - you surprise me :)

Another one of those winning bar trivia facts: The Phoenix boys are the only brothers to be nominated for Oscars.
   200. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 16, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5607264)
I thought he was really good in "Catch Me If You Can".

Yeah, I liked that movie and his performance as well.

So... Senator Nelson's lie about an actual issue of consequence doesn't bother you, only the possible lying by Cotton and Perdue on what, \"########\" versus "shithouse?" Like I said, CRICKETS.

Sheesh. Why don't you just go ahead and change your handle to WHATABOUT??? That way you wouldn't have to actually type out any of your posts. Save you some time.

Page 2 of 22 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Darren
for his generous support.