Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 15, 2018

OTP 15 January 2018:Mississippi’s anti-gay marriage law is hurting two college baseball teams

The “stick to sports” mantra took on a life of its own in 2017, as the interweaving of sports and politics was undeniable and, ultimately, angered quite a few sports fans. Still, protests during the national anthem or political tweets by athletes never actually got in the way of the action or stopped games from being played.

But politics have halted a college baseball series between the University of Southern Mississippi and Stony Brook University, a public school in New York. The two schools were scheduled to meet in a three-game series in February, but dueling declarations in each state have now made that series impossible. The kicker? It has absolutely nothing to do with baseball.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 15, 2018 at 03:13 PM | 2103 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college baseball, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 15 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 13 14 15 16 17 >  Last ›
   1401. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:15 PM (#5609476)
Up is down! The party that controls nothing but the spirit cooking is gonna shut'er down! What is the what...

Assuming that folks won't eventually figure out that those filibustering the spending bill are the ones blocking the funding for the government seems like a long shot. When Southern Democrats filibustered the Civil Rights Bills in the 1950s & 60s, few blamed their opponents for not crafting the legislation to the Dixiecrats' liking.
   1402. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:16 PM (#5609477)
flop

I'll take the heat! For the good shutdown!
   1403. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:19 PM (#5609478)
Assuming that folks won't eventually figure out that those filibustering the spending bill are the ones blocking the funding for the government seems like a long shot. When Southern Democrats filibustered the Civil Rights Bills in the 1950s & 60s, few blamed their opponents for not crafting the legislation to the Dixiecrat's liking.

Just a reminder for you in composing those midterm ads to fire up your base over... keeping the government open (!?!) for another 30 days --

Hanna Barbara retains the rights to all Scooby Doo villains, so if you're going to go with "And I'd have gotten away with it if not for those meddling Democrats", be sure to secure permission first!
   1404. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:19 PM (#5609479)
When Southern Democrats filibustered the Civil Rights Bills in the 1950s & 60s, few blamed their opponents for not crafting the legislation to the Dixiecrats' liking.

I'm shocked, shocked that you chose that as your example rather than any of the 8,759 Republican filibusters during the Obama administration.
   1405. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM (#5609480)
When Southern Democrats filibustered the Civil Rights Bills in the 1950s & 60s, few blamed their opponents for not crafting the legislation to the Dixiecrats' liking.

A filibuster which never would have happened if LBJ, Mansfield and McCormack had simply included some funding to build the wall between most of the United States and the south.
   1406. tshipman Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM (#5609481)
Assuming that folks won't eventually figure out that those filibustering the spending bill are the ones blocking the funding for the government seems like a long shot. When Southern Democrats filibustered the Civil Rights Bills in the 1950s & 60s, few blamed their opponents for not crafting the legislation to the Dixiecrats' liking.

Again, there is no Filibuster. The spending bill doesn't have 50 votes.
   1407. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:22 PM (#5609482)
A filibuster which never would have happened if LBJ, Mansfield and McCormack had simply included some funding to build the wall between most of the United States and the south.

In fairness, securing Civil Rights for blacks 30 days at a time was inevitably going to hit some chop eventually.
   1408. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:26 PM (#5609486)
Ray favorite Mark Steyn raises the alarm about the ongoing invasion of Arizona...

No doubt, Congressman Perry's evidence that ISIS was involved in the Vegas shooting is also in this famed memo I hear so much about...

FTR, both of these racist wacko birds spouted their garbage last night on the same Fox News show.

Three guesses what show this was:

1. Tucker Carlson Tonight
2. Tucker Carlson Tonight
3. Tucker Carlson Tonight

Good guess!
   1409. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:27 PM (#5609488)

Well, yet. We shall see. In any event I doubt a filibuster will now enrage the populous when it sure didn't the last nine years.
   1410. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5609489)
They printed one copy too few of the memo. Fox News' Shep Smith:
"With one party in charge of everything, a government shutdown will not happen, right? I mean, never in the history, of at least modern history of the country, has there been a government shutdown when a single party is in charge of Washington. Hook, line and sinker. House, Senate, White House. One party in charge, that's it. Republicans have it all. Yet the possibility of a government shutdown has escalated."

1411. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5609490)
No fillibuster, no fillibuster. You're the fillibuster.
   1412. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:33 PM (#5609492)
Call me the Trump whisperer....

Mr President, have you ever paid for an abortion by any of your former conquests?
   1413. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5609494)
No doubt, Congressman Perry's evidence that ISIS was involved in the Vegas shooting is also in this famed memo I hear so much about...

The fact that they haven't been able to prove this is false has been good enough for some....
   1414. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5609495)
Who could have imagined a reality TV star most well-known for cartoonish villainy might be a problem?

Her name should prove an interesting challenge to President Twitter Nicknames, though...
   1415. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM (#5609496)

Zonk's whip count on the House of Representatives was way off the mark yesterday, so I wouldn't be confident he'll do any better on the Senate, but he's already demonstrated his misunderstanding of Senate procedures. The Democrats have not agreed to end debate and bring the spending bill to a vote, they are insisting on a cloture vote that, as of now, they will vote against, preventing a vote on the funding of the government. That's called a F-I-L-I-B-U-S-T-E-R.
   1416. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:42 PM (#5609501)
Off topic, this seems like one of the more bizarre survey findings I've ever seen:

Most Americans take their shoes off at home, but don't expect their guests to

In many parts of the world, it’s an understood social custom to remove one’s shoes before entering your own home or any other person’s residence. That line is blurred in the US with new YouGov polls revealing that while most Americans (87%) take off their shoes in their own homes,...

Do you take your shoes off as soon as you enter your home?
Yes, always 31%
Most of the time 26%
Sometimes 18%
Rarely 12%
No, never 13%

The survey breaks it down by region and age group, but even if every Muslim and Hindu and African immigrant followed this custom,** how could those numbers be so high? Except in cases of bad weather where shoes would be wet or caked with mud, who here takes off their shoes when entering his house?

** Is this also a thing among Orthodox Jews?
   1417. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:43 PM (#5609502)
Zonk's whip count on the House of Representatives was way off the mark yesterday, so I wouldn't be confident he'll do any better on the Senate, but he's already demonstrated his misunderstanding of Senate procedures.

FOCUS, bot, this has been tshipman, not zonk. The same GOP that can't mute a conference call can't even program their AIs right, I guess.
   1418. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:45 PM (#5609503)
Zonk's whip count on the House of Representatives was way off the mark yesterday, so I wouldn't be confident he'll do any better on the Senate, but he's already demonstrated his misunderstanding of Senate procedures. The Democrats have not agreed to end debate and bring the spending bill to a vote, they are insisting on a cloture vote that, as of now, they will vote against, preventing a vote on the funding of the government. That's called a F-I-L-I-B-U-S-T-E-R.

Zonk's whip count in the House was perfectly accurate. When Mark Squeezer not the Squeezed Meadows decided to give life as the squeezed a test drive, Zonk adjusted his whip count accordingly.

But Zonk continues to thank Clapper for the authority Clapper vests in Zonk. It make Zonk feel all super important and stuff.

Zonk would remind Clapper that the issue at hand is another 30 day CR.... Zonk believes it's kind of surreal that Clapper's Republican party - so dominantly in control of so many levers of government as Clapper loves to remind Zonk and others - is all cranky because because they're having problems passing their 4th can kicking.

Heckuva job, Clappie!
   1419. BDC Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5609504)
who here takes off their shoes when entering his house?

I do, always. Maybe a European influence. I don't remember doing this in England or Ireland back when I went there a lot, but always in Germany and Denmark, and now always in the US, too. But I'm not doing it to placate my partner, I do it just because it feels better.
   1420. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5609506)
The survey breaks it down by region and age group, but even if every Muslim and Hindu and African immigrant followed this custom,** how could those numbers be so high?

I have some issue with the way the question is phrased.

This could mean "do you remove your shoes as a sign of respect, at the doorway, upon entering your home?" Which is what it's meant to mean, I think.

But it could also mean "do you get in, collapse on the couch and kick your heels off while pouring a glass of wine?"
   1421. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5609509)
I do, always.

Likewise. It drives me nuts when my fiancee clomps around in her high heels on our hardwood floors. I call them her "hooves." Why would anyone not just take their shoes off by the door and either keep them there or carry them wherever else, and then put them back on by the door when they're ready to leave? There is no upside whatsoever to wearing shoes in the house. Less comfortable, gets more dirt on the floor, scratches the wood, etc.
   1422. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM (#5609510)
"With one party in charge of everything, a government shutdown will not happen, right? I mean, never in the history, of at least modern history of the country, has there been a government shutdown when a single party is in charge of Washington. Hook, line and sinker. House, Senate, White House. One party in charge, that's it. Republicans have it all. Yet the possibility of a government shutdown has escalated."

Yea but remember when the southern Dems (of which are now GOPers) filibustered civil rights? Do you remember kids? I mean, I don't, I wasn't alive. Not even close. Ditto most people in the country.
   1423. BDC Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM (#5609511)
do you remove your shoes as a sign of respect, at the doorway

I've always seen it as more practical: it's easier on the floors (as Ripken notes). We don't ask guests to take off shoes, because we're not particular about flooring quality. But I guess in some cultures it's more of a social than a material gesture.

Anyway, it's a fascinating topic. Andy, did you find that shoe-removal story in the New York Times, or on Breitbart?
   1424. reech Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:56 PM (#5609514)
Why would you keep your shoes on in your house? Why would you want to tramp dirt from the outside all over your interior? I also wash my dog's feet after walking him (he's a small dog, so it's easy).
   1425. Greg K Posted: January 19, 2018 at 12:57 PM (#5609515)
Off topic, this seems like one of the more bizarre survey findings I've ever seen:

Most Americans take their shoes off at home, but don't expect their guests to

In many parts of the world, it’s an understood social custom to remove one’s shoes before entering your own home or any other person’s residence. That line is blurred in the US with new YouGov polls revealing that while most Americans (87%) take off their shoes in their own homes,...

Yes, always 31%
Most of the time 26%
Sometimes 18%
Rarely 12%
No, never 13%
The survey breaks it down by region and age group, but even if every Muslim and Hindu and African immigrant followed this custom,** how could those numbers be so high? Except in cases of bad weather where shoes would be wet or caked with mud, who here takes off their shoes when entering his house?

** Is this also a thing among Orthodox Jews?

I don't consider it necessary, but I always take off my shoes when I get in my own place. Unless there's a problem with the heating I take my socks off too. Feet need air!

In other people's homes I sometimes do, sometimes don't. It depends. Generally I take them off. I don't think friends would shun me if I wore my shoes in doors, but taking them off is normal behaviour most places I know. Unless I'm at a big family get together, where:
A] The pile of shoes by the door would become enormous
and
B] I'm going to be going in and out of the house, hanging out on the porch, etc.

That said, I'm not as strict on the matter as Asian societies. I once rented a place from a Chinese lady, who had apparently been dealing with uncivilized Canadians for a while. She was super nice, but reminded me about the shoes about 9 times in the first 5 minutes of showing me around the place.

In Age of Youth (a tremendous Korean show), the main characters share an apartment building. One of the constant elements of every episode is the front door, where they all have their outdoor shoes and indoor slippers neatly arranged. No matter what the life-threatening crisis that has them rushing in or out of the house, they always pause at the door to switch footwear. It's used to great comic effect when one of them gets home in a huff. Off camera you hear the beep of the security door opening, SLAM, stomp, stomp, kick off shoes, followed by some petulant slipper foot-dragging.

Shoes actually feature prominently in a few plot points too. One girl gets her shoes ruined by a rain-strom, but instead of using her last money to buy a new pair, she buys a gift for someone else, and suffers through the horrible indignity of wet shoes.

It is interesting, the focus on the shoes. In most North American TV shows shoes are almost never important as a plot point or meaningful symbol. Except, I guess, rather memorably in Mindhunter.
   1426. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:02 PM (#5609517)
It is interesting, the focus on the shoes. In most North American TV shows shoes are almost never important as a plot point or meaningful symbol. Except, I guess, rather memorably in Mindhunter.

Married... With Children?
   1427. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:04 PM (#5609519)
I am pro-shoes off - both at home and as a guest.

I have become militantly so since I became harshly sock-critical some 15 years ago or so. I will run boxers and undershirts into the ground, until they literally disintegrate in the wash - but socks? The slightest hint of a hole, the mere suggestion that the elastic upper portion is no longer peak performance, the slightest dulling or fading of the original color -- into the garbage they go.
   1428. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:04 PM (#5609520)
… this has been tshipman, not zonk.

My apologies to whoever is offended by being mistaken for the Temporary Acting Assistant Deputy Democratic Whip.
   1429. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:04 PM (#5609521)
Just-released ABC/WaPo poll, on who will be blamed for a government shutdown:

48% -- Trump and GOP
28% -- Democrats
18% -- Both
1% -- Neither

Presumably the other 5% will blame Obama, or the Jews, or they'll put the blame on Mame.
   1430. PepTech Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:05 PM (#5609522)
What you meant to say is, "'Money laundering prior to running for President' is all we've got left."

Anyway, you may soon have bigger problems to worry about than a dud of a dossier.
Jason, do you seriously look at this kinda like some combo of Clapper and Ray, where politics is largely entertainment, you "don't care" about actual issues except to mock those you see as inferior, and "Gorsuch"! is paramount?

The dossier is a collection of speculation and "research" that looks sort of reasonable if you don't sweat details. For example, there's a pretty good chance Trump's done naughty stuff that *normal politicians* might get leveraged over - but this is Trump, so those bits don't matter. In addition, there was clearly a good amount of communication between various Russians and various campaign people - and Steele got some broad strokes of that, but what's come to light since has made it clear the granular details are quite different.

Completely separate from any "evidence" (and those are joke quotes, the dossier doesn't have anything I'm aware of that would hold up in court) in the dossier, there are a bunch of legitimate issues to explore w/r/t Trump and Russia:

- Activities of Manafort, Page, Papa, Kushner, DJTJr, Sessions, Flynn during the campaign and transition. Why all the obfuscation surrounding this stuff?
- What was the true story behind the changing of the Ukraine plank?
- Extent of "Russian mafia^" interest in various Trump holdings and projects
- Involvement/awareness of Russia/Wikileaks connection (if any)
- Involvement/awareness of Russian attempts to "influence the election" through social media or whatever stuff went on

I'm not the only poster here that has maintained over and over that I don't think Trump *himself* personally participated in anything approaching criminal collusion, but there's enough smoke around all this stuff to call in the fire department. The specific claims in the dossier are small potatoes compared to where some of the threads above may lead. Those might include money laundering, and there's plenty of non-dossier-related noise (see #1318) that indicate this could very well be a component of what Mueller is looking into.

Completely separate from the dossier, Trump has been a trainwreck:
- Starting with the inaugural crowd, a disturbing percentage of communication from Trump personally and the WH in general has been ambiguous, contradictory, and/or outright inaccurate.
- Legislative efforts have been laughably disorganized, blown up by the courts, unpopular with the public, and lacking bipartisan support
- Relationships with Senate and House leadership has been... tenuous at best, insulting at worst. And that includes Ryan and McConnell.
- Spouting Israeli intelligence to Russians in the Oval Office
- Clumsy handling of issues like Charlottesburg, Comey, the Mayor of London, etc., etc.
- General degradation of the dignity of the office. Language, racism, sexism, on and on. Each individual incident might be considered quirky or immaterial, but taken as a whole, it's embarrassing for the USA to have a bull in the china shop.
- Obstinacy on issues like his tax returns and business holdings (profiting from that hotel in DC is completely ridiculous).
- His instincts are to divide, not unite. Things are getting more polarized, not less, and it's a problem that's long since begun to affect the effectiveness of our government. This started well before Trump, but he's goosing it for all he can rather than addressing it as an issue.

Gorsuch! is nice and all, but get serious, please. You can keep on pooh-poohing the dossier all you like, but that's all *you've* got left.

^ I've worked for Russian companies, I'm well aware that "Russian mafia" is at the same time a real thing, intertwined with government, and completely misrepresented and misunderstood in the West.
   1431. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:06 PM (#5609524)
Of course ISIS was involved in the Las Vegas shootings. The shooter's girlfriend is Filipino, fer crissake.
   1432. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:07 PM (#5609527)
I always take my shoes off in the winter, because tracking snow/mud around would just be obnoxious.

In summer, I'll sometimes keep them on, but usually like to kick them off by the door because otherwise they're likely to wind up somewhere where I can't find one or both of them. Same reason why I always hang my keys up by the door or place my wallet on top of the keyholder as soon as I get inside (before I kick off my shoes): I'll lose it in the house if I bring it any further inside.

Does anyone else have a wife who routinely asks you to call her cell phone because she knows its in her purse but can't find it in the purse without the ringer going off?
   1433. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:07 PM (#5609528)
My apologies to whoever is offended by being mistaken for the Temporary Acting Assistant Deputy Democratic Whip.

I'm not offended - I find it cute whenever you, Ray, or JE jockey for my affections... Sometimes I feel guilty leading you all on like this - I'm probably never going to make out with you - but a man likes to loved, pursued, and exalted.
   1434. Greg K Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:08 PM (#5609530)
Married... With Children?

I was barred from watching such a morally bankrupt program.

We had to live off of Unhappily Ever After, and the wholesomeness of Nikki Cox instead.
   1435. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:08 PM (#5609531)
Presumably the other 5% will blame Obama, or the Jews, or they'll put the blame on Mame.

Part of that 5% are baseball fans who still think Derek Bell is holding out for more playing time.
   1436. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:11 PM (#5609532)
Part of that 5% are baseball fans who still think Derek Bell is holding out for more playing time.

Nicely done.

In unrelated news, the WH has quietly released a statement that Derek Bell is no longer Deputy Director of Occasional Tweets that Could Come Back to Bite Us.
   1437. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5609535)
I was barred from watching such a morally bankrupt program.

Al Bundy (Ed O'Neill) plays a women's shoes salesman and one of the recurring themes around his occupation is oversized women insisting on having very tiny shoe sizes.

I first learned of the program when a family friend (from Kansas... enough said) was complaining about it in the late 1980s. I think that was when one of the Bible Belters single handedly drove its ratings by trying to lobby the FCC to take it off the air. Anyway, my mom thought she was a little too uptight about stuff (e.g., this family friend had also described the opening scene of Look Who's Talking as the most pornographic thing she had ever witnessed), so MWC was allowed in our household. I would have been around 8 or 9 at the time.

Some years later (when I was in high school), my mom had foot surgery and caught up on some television during the day and watched a few episodes on FX or whatever. She was not impressed with her parenting skills at having allowed her young son watch it.
   1438. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5609536)
That YouGov survey was linked to another story on 538.

Interesting responses. Of course I'd remove my shoes if requested. I doubt if that's happened more than a dozen times in my life, if that, but I can see that I'm the outlier here.

Why would you keep your shoes on in your house? Why would you want to tramp dirt from the outside all over your interior?

That's why we have a mat outside the door. We've never had any particular problem about dirt in the house.

I also wash my dog's feet after walking him (he's a small dog, so it's easy).

Well, if we had a dog, I'd have to think about that.

Final thought: As could be expected, there's a Curb Your Enthusiasm discussion about this. Larry never lets us down.

1439. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5609538)
Chuck Schumer goes the WH --

I presume the WH has finally implemented its plan to tape all meetings.

Because, you know, I'd hate for Schumer to play the hero, saving the GOP's grand MAGA plan to fund the government for another 4 weeks on the wings of a Trump promise for strings-free CHIP and loving DACA... only to arrive back at this same place in a month :-)

/br'er rabbit
   1440. BDC Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5609539)
Does anyone else have a wife who routinely asks you to call her cell phone because she knows its in her purse but can't find it in the purse without the ringer going off?

Well, I used to …
   1441. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5609541)
The dossier is a collection of speculation and "research" that looks sort of reasonable if you don't sweat details.

We know now that the "dossier" was a Democratic Party-funded, unverified, and possibly fabricated, opposition research effort that was peddled to the FBI and news media under misleading circumstances to influence coverage of the election and launch an investigation of the opposition party's presidential campaign. That's a lot to handwave away.
   1442. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5609542)
Except in cases of bad weather where shoes would be wet or caked with mud, who here takes off their shoes when entering his house?

You're not invited to my house.

The slightest hint of a hole, the mere suggestion that the elastic upper portion is no longer peak performance, the slightest dulling or fading of the original color -- into the garbage they go.

It's so much easier to darn a sock than knit a new pair. This is real madness.
   1443. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:18 PM (#5609543)
Trump and cryin' Chuck Schumer meeting alone in the WH.
   1444. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:18 PM (#5609544)
the wholesomeness of Nikki Cox instead.

Nikki Cox is a lesson in "less is more" when it comes to cosmetic surgery. The boob job as a teenager or early 20s: probably a career maker. Whatever face thing she did in her mid-20s that made her look like Joan Rivers' corpse before the age or 30? What the f''' was her doctor thinking?
   1445. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:18 PM (#5609545)
   1446. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:18 PM (#5609546)
We know now that the "dossier" was a Democratic Party-funded, unverified, and possibly fabricated, opposition research effort that was peddled to the FBI and news media under misleading circumstances to influence coverage of the election and launch an investigation of the opposition party's presidential campaign. That's a lot to handwave away.

I Love It!
   1447. Traderdave Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5609547)
I have plantar fasciitis and so I do my best to minimize barefoot time, the more I do it the more it hurts. I wear sandals around the house.
   1448. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5609548)
I've made the move to slip ons for my street shoes so that I can easily take them off and on when I enter a house. I don't take my work shoes off immediately but as I park in my garage I have little to fear in the way of tracking in water and mud. I'll walk to my bedroom closet and take them off there. Last year was the first year I ever actually went out and bought slippers and have actually used them. My entire first floor is hardwood so those floors get cold.
   1449. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5609549)
It drives me nuts when my fiancee clomps around in her high heels on our hardwood floors... There is no upside whatsoever to wearing shoes in the house.

I'm a bit older now, but there certainly was a period where the upside to a guest in high heels in my apartment was very apparent.
   1450. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:20 PM (#5609550)
I only wear shoes in the house in the winter. Summers my feet don't get cold.
   1451. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5609552)
Trump and cryin' Chuck Schumer meeting alone in the WH.

So prime time cable news will be discussing the disagreement between what Schumer says that they agreed to and what lies DJT is saying about what they agreed to?

Rachel Maddow can just start writing the script for the opening monologue now and fill in the particulars starting at 5pm EST.
   1452. Traderdave Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:22 PM (#5609553)
We know now that the "dossier" was a Democratic Party-funded, unverified, and possibly fabricated, opposition research effort that was peddled to the FBI and news media under misleading circumstances to influence coverage of the election and launch an investigation of the opposition party's presidential campaign.

If you haven't already, you should program your F1 key to spit that phrase out. It will simplify your future posts & save your carpals.
   1453. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:22 PM (#5609554)
Clapper, #1441:

We're not waving.
   1454. PepTech Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:22 PM (#5609555)
Living in the PNW, shoes are more often than not wet and muddy. It's SOP up here to take them off in most homes, including ours.

In the summer, with extended dry periods, there's a lot more running in and out all the time, and this is relaxed.

What's interesting to me is that looking back to my childhood, we *never* took shoes off, including my parents, even in rainy season (which runs from October through May, at a minimum). It's easy for me to pin down when my personal philosophy changed; I lived in Japan for five years after graduating from college. At some point between 1988 and 1993 removing shoes went from zero to sixty around here.
   1455. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5609556)

Where no previous campaign has looked into the background and affairs of their opponents, and whenever they accidentally came into possession of information unfavorable to their opponent, they went to great lengths to conceal that information from the media.
   1456. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5609557)

I used to more before I got plantar fasciitis. Now I switch to croc slipper things ASAP. In winter in MN I would guess the majority of people do - no one likes snow, slush, and mud tracked all over.
   1457. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:24 PM (#5609558)

That's likely unique. I suspect there's probably only room for one purse that size in the continental United States.
   1458. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:24 PM (#5609559)
So prime time cable news will be discussing the disagreement between what Schumer says that they agreed to and what lies DJT is saying about what they agreed to?

Rachel Maddow can just start writing the script for the opening monologue now and fill in the particulars starting at 5pm EST.

I am looking forward to Trump's triumphal return to maralago, proudly waving a piece of paper proclaiming "30 Days of Government funding in our time!"
   1459. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5609560)
Another cut-to-the-chase quip from Kim Strassel:
Let's see. D's do not object to anything in the CR. The CR in fact contains D priorities. D's are demanding something (DACA) that R's have said they are going to do anyway. We still have six weeks to a DACA deadline. And oh, there is no DACA bill yet to vote on. #SchumerShutdown
   1460. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:28 PM (#5609562)
Oh my, it's escalated to hashtags?

Golly, I may need to rethink the impact this could have....
   1461. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:28 PM (#5609563)
Where no previous campaign has looked into the background and affairs of their opponents, and whenever they accidentally came into possession of information unfavorable to their opponent . . .

Accidentally? LoL, that's a good one. Hillary's team hired the folks that concocted the anti-Magnitsky smears. They knew what they were buying.
   1462. PepTech Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:29 PM (#5609565)
The dossier is a collection of speculation and "research" that looks sort of reasonable if you don't sweat details.

If you'd like to go after the creators and/or funding source of the dossier for any of the statements in your post, I'd encourage you to do so. However, that issue is completely orthogonal to the rest of my post, which I believe puts you in line for a hearty "concession accepted".

I look forward to a more substantial discussion from Jason.
   1463. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5609566)
lol, Jason, let me cut to the chase for you: the government has NEVER SHUT DOWN WHEN ONE PARTY CONTROLS THE WH HOUSE AND SENATE.

Maybe if the GOP was an actual party and not just a big tent for every town crier to huddle under in fear and loathing you guys could get something ####### done. Or, like the most basic thing of all: keeping the government running.
   1464. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:31 PM (#5609567)
Jason, this memo is likely to be a dud. You have to understand that people on both sides of this are loons: both the TDSers and the Trump supporters are watching alternate versions of reality play out before them in real time. Likely this "memo" will not be a show stopper. It will have some vague statements in it that TDSers will interpret one way and Trump supporters will interpret another. Maddow will discuss it on her program one way, and Hannity another.

It's so interesting to see how two sets of deranged people draw wildly divergent inferences from the same set of facts.
Calling the memo a "dud" sounds a bit extreme but sure, the unclassified version of the memo won't solve much: Democrats will bleat about generalizations and cherry-picking and Republicans will claim the FISA process was contaminated and Obama officials and Bureau professionals ought to start lawyering up.

Still, we'll learn sooner or later whose side is more accurate. Stay tuned for the IG report release and whatever Mueller has left pertaining to collusion.
   1465. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5609568)

And I look forward to Chrissy Teigan showing up at my door tonight, telling me she's left John, and asking if I'd like to go out for dinner.
   1466. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5609569)
Accidentally? LoL, that's a good one. Hillary's team hired the folks that concocted the anti-Magnitsky smears. They knew what they were buying.

Look, creating a perfect parallel to your moronic implication that the Clinton campaign was the only one in history to engage in opposition research made writing a counterfactual a bit tough. If Clinton were the only campaign to ever engage in opposition research, how can we condemn her for talking about what she found unless we know what other campaigns would've done with such knowledge?
   1467. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:33 PM (#5609570)
Calling Clappie a bot is an insult to bots. He's the idiot demographic the bots are built to target. He's actually dumber than the bots.
   1468. tshipman Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5609571)

1. I am not Zonk.
2. McConnell doesn't have the votes.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) adjourned the Senate until 11 a.m. Friday without scheduling a vote on the House measure, giving lawmakers just 13 hours to reach a deal to avert a shutdown, which would begin Friday night at midnight.

Schumer called on his colleagues to hold a decisive vote on the four-week House-passed spending measure on Thursday evening in the hopes that it would be quickly defeated and force Republicans to the negotiating table.

A senior Democratic aide noted that several Republicans, including Graham and Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.), are expected to vote with Democrats against the bill.

“This won’t fail because of one party,” the source said.

But GOP leaders could lose the support of Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), who said leadership promised him an immigration bill would come to the floor this month in exchange for his support of last year’s tax bill.

1469. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5609572)
Still, we'll learn sooner or later whose side is more accurate.

No you won't. You'll take anything that is released, pick and choose minutia and esoteric asides taken out of context to support what you've already decided you need to be true, and massage the "facts" in play to make your pre-decided position "more accurate" as you go.
   1470. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5609573)
Still, we'll learn sooner or later whose side is more accurate. Stay tuned for the IG report release and whatever Mueller has left pertaining to collusion.

Man... those Mueller Thanksgiving leftovers are like jesus wedding wine and fish baskets, aren't they?

1471. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5609574)
Yea but tshipman: is that as simple and alluringly alliterative as "Schumer Shutdown"?

Hell no!
   1472. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:37 PM (#5609575)
I couldn't pick dude out of a line up and have never quoted him or taken his lead on ... anything as far as I know. I am not sure I have ever even heard of him before (though you may have name checked him previously, maybe). I should care about said dude why?
OMG, this is SO peak Mouse. He confidently weighs in on an issue in which Republicans and Democrats are at each other's throats, expressing disdain for those who don't share his perspective. Reading that, I mention the position taken by the de facto Democrat point person. Mouse proudly replies that he doesn't know who that dude is and, by the way, why on earth should he give a flying ####?

Only one response is fitting:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
   1473. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5609576)
Delta moving to making people traveling with supposed service animals showing proof that their animals have their vaccinations up to date and they must consult with a vet two days before the trip. Not sure how that works on a return flight of a two week vacation. The second thing they want to institute is a signed document that animals for emotional support and psychiatric service can behave. Not sure how you enforce that one and besides Delta doesn't have to let emotional support animals on to the plane.
   1474. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5609577)
2. McConnell doesn't have the votes.

As long as more Republicans vote for than Democrats do, it will be spun by the GOP and their duly appointed spokesperson here, that it's the democrat's fault. If it fails 70-30, and all 30 votes are R, it will be the Schumer Shutdown.
   1475. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5609579)
Where no previous campaign has looked into the background and affairs of their opponents, and whenever they accidentally came into possession of information unfavorable to their opponent, they went to great lengths to conceal that information from the media.

Indeed, LOL. Where "accidentally" is like an inmate in the shower "accidentally" slipping on a bar of soap.
   1476. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5609580)
As long as more Republicans vote for than Democrats do, it will be spun by the GOP and their dult appointed spokesperson here, that it's the democrat's fault. If it fails 70-30, and all 30 votes are R, it will be the Schumer Shutdown.

of course, which is why they have the bots working furiously on "#schumershutdown" as quickly as possible. You can almost see the #### stained trail of spin down from the WH ---> RNC ---> Breitbart/Fox ---> JE/Clapper

Indeed, LOL. Where "accidentally" is like an inmate in the shower "accidentally" slipping on a bar of soap.

It's still morning here on the west coast maybe we could skip the rape jokes until after lunch.
   1477. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5609581)

As long as more Republicans vote for than Democrats do, it will be spun by the GOP and their dult appointed spokesperson here, that it's the democrat's fault

If literally every Democrat voted for it, and every Republican voted against it, the spin would be the same. So, who cares?
   1478. zenbitz Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5609582)
@1224 cases like this often refer to "hostile work environment", but this may be only a violation of employer code (for instance at Stanford). Could even be codified in CA State law.

Colloquially, but perhaps not pendantically, "harassment".
   1479. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5609584)
Ray favorite Mark Steyn raises the alarm about the ongoing invasion of Arizona...
Steyn penned some excellent pieces for National Review back in the day but everything went downhill soon after Fox News discovered him. Now, he's way cringeworthy.
   1480. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5609585)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

When the Mueller investigation sweeps away the Trump crime family you'll have to shove every one of those HAHA's up your dumb ass, Dancing Monkey #3 Juan.
   1481. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5609586)
of course, which is why they have the bots working furiously on "#schumershutdown" as quickly as possible. You can almost see the #### stained trail of spin down from the WH ---> RNC --- Breitbart/Fox ---> JE/Clapper

In a totally unrelated story - Republicans are pushing for increased whiplash insurance coverage to treat those salt-of-the-earthers for any injuries they suffered when Trump/RNC/Breitbart/Fox suddenly shifted gears and began confusing them by implying shutdowns are bad and keeping the government running is good.
   1482. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5609587)
GOP going apeshit over this meeting between Trump and Schumer, prompting the WH to issue a statement that absoultely no agreement will be reached. Well then.
   1483. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5609588)
Tshipman is being dishonest here (#1468), selectively quoting speculation about a vote on final passage, while trying to avoid mentioning that the immediate hurdle is that Senate Democrats Are Filibustering The Funding Bill:
Democrats in the Senate have served notice they will filibuster a four-week, government-wide funding bill that cleared the House Thursday evening.

If Democrats are not Filibustering, they'd allow a vote on the House bill. It's that simple. Those saying otherwise are either badly misinformed or being less than truthful.
   1484. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5609589)
If literally every Democrat voted for it, and every Republican voted against it, the spin would be the same. So, who cares?

People furiously scoring news cycles.... so they can say "Sure, our President's approval is 15 points under water, our generic party ballot numbers are 10 points under water... but our Pythagorean expectation approval should actually be 50%!"
   1485. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5609590)

Look, creating a perfect parallel to your moronic implication that the Clinton campaign was the only one in history to engage in opposition research made writing a counterfactual a bit tough. If Clinton were the only campaign to ever engage in opposition research, how can we condemn her for talking about what she found unless we know what other campaigns would've done with such knowledge?

The problem is that this was not opposition "research," because inherent in that is that you're looking for and finding things that are actually true. This effort, quite to the contrary, was to gin up and smear Trump with salacious "facts" that were made up out of whole cloth. With the Russians and one or more spies from a foreign country heavily involved, to boot. And then going further to shop around such nonsense to the media and the FBI in an effort to defame your opposing candidate with a smear job that you also hope will spawn federal investigations of him and his campaign -- and later his administration -- by the federal government. Which is exactly what happened.

Actual opposition research would be to discover things like the Access Hollywood tape, or to find a Stormy Daniels or some such. Those things are par for the opposition research course. What Hillary did -- to commission someone to commission someone to just make up lies about your opponent with the help of the Russians in order to influence the election (there could be no other reason) and hopefully get him investigated -- most certainly is not.

Thus it's the very term "opposition research" that does not apply here. It's insulting to the intelligence of intelligent people to apply that term to what Hillary et al did.
   1486. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5609591)
The problem with Hill Democrats right now is that they're screwing up their talking points worse than Adam Dunn trying to catch fly balls. Here's the latest example.

No, seriously, watch the video. You have to see to appreciate.
   1487. Srul Itza Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5609592)
What's interesting to me is that looking back to my childhood, we *never* took shoes off, including my parents, even in rainy season (which runs from October through May, at a minimum). It's easy for me to pin down when my personal philosophy changed; I lived in Japan for five years after graduating from college. At some point between 1988 and 1993 removing shoes went from zero to sixty around here.

Same here as to childhood, in New York

Moved to Hawaii, and taking your shoes off in someone's home is the norm. Of course, for a lot of people that just means slipping out of rubbah slippas.

even if every Muslim and Hindu and African immigrant followed this custom

You left out Asians
   1488. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5609593)
If Democrats are not Filibustering, they'd allow a vote on the House bill. It's that simple. Those saying otherwise are either badly misinformed or being less than truthful.

The Democrats are de facto fillibustering, if not de jure fillibustering, it's true. And they would be foolish not to. There's no upside for them whatsoever. If they don't, it will either pass, which they don't want, or it will fail by 1 or 2 votes and they will get the blame anyway. The only way to get something they want, is to threaten a fillibuster, which they are doing.
   1489. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5609595)
The problem with Hill Democrats right now is that they're screwing up their talking points worse than Adam Dunn trying to catch fly balls. Here's the latest example.

Oh noes! We might lose the Friday news cycle! Pythagorean expectation approval uber alles!

We'll have to work on this for next month's episode.
   1490. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5609596)
Tshipman is being dishonest here
In related news, water is wet.
   1491. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5609598)
Let's see. D's do not object to anything in the CR. The CR in fact contains D priorities. D's are demanding something (DACA) that R's have said they are going to do anyway. We still have six weeks to a DACA deadline. And oh, there is no DACA bill yet to vote on.
Why won't the Ds just vote for the CR? The Rs, along with the POTUS, have promised the best DACA bill.
But GOP leaders could lose the support of Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), who said leadership promised him an immigration bill would come to the floor this month in exchange for his support of last year’s tax bill.
Oh, yeah. The POTUS, along with the rest of the Rs, are a bunch of lying scum. That's why.
   1492. tshipman Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5609600)
Tshipman is being dishonest here (#1468), selectively quoting speculation about a vote on final passage, while trying to avoid mentioning that the immediate hurdle is that Senate Democrats Are Filibustering The Funding Bill:

How am I being dishonest, you hack?

From your own link:
Schumer was rebuffed in an attempt to vote Thursday night.

Ds can't filibuster if McConnell doesn't hold a vote. McConnell isn't holding a vote because the vote would fail to reach 50.
   1493. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5609601)
Two more polls...

Trump approval at 37% in both... 58% disapprove in CBS; 53% disapprove in NPR/Marist.
   1494. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5609604)
There comes a time in every poker game where one must either raise or fold. Calling is not a option, that is to say it's the worst possible option. In this situation, threatening a fillibuster and then carrying through is raising. Voting for the deal is folding. Allowing it to come to a vote when you don't intend to vote for it is calling.
   1495. Count Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5609605)
If the Republicans want to pass DACA why don't they agree to pass DACA? One of the issues here is that nobody, including the president, can figure out what the president wants. I'm not sure how this will play out politically but if the Dems think this is how to pass DACA they should go for it.
   1496. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5609606)
I'm willing to bet there is more than a handful of Republican senators that don't want this thing to go to a vote yet and they damn sure don't want to be on record as voting no on a GOP bill. If McConnell has 51 votes he would move to end discussion and bring it to a vote thus forcing the Dems to publicly say no and thus "cause" the shutdown. That McConnell has not done this is a pretty big sign that he does not have his house in order yet.
   1497. Srul Itza Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5609607)

I assume you also look forward to pigs flying in formation over Europe.
   1498. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5609608)
How am I being dishonest . . .

Schumer hasn't agreed to a vote on the House bill, just on cloture, which requires 60 votes and the Senate Democrats are prepared to vote against it.
   1499. Jay Z Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5609609)
Gerald Retzlaff pushes back. "Trump wasn't my first choice. However he is doing a hell of a good job," he says. "He's playing three-level chess versus everybody else playing checkers."

Kind of sounds like one of those Eastern liberal elites. America needs to get back to the basics of checkers!
   1500. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5609610)
Always a sign that you're winning...

Several GOP senators, for example, were trying to find out from Democrats why they are dug in against the House's short-term spending mechanism. Why won't they believe that Republicans will deal with DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, later? The program expires March 5, but Republicans' message to their colleagues was "come on, you know we won't deport DACA recipients."

Golly.... why don't Democrats trust Trumpublicans.

I mean, with them being so honest, consistent, and never veering wildly from compromise to hardline from one day to the next, it's a total mystery why Democrats wouldn't trust Trumpublicans.
Page 15 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 13 14 15 16 17 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.