Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 15, 2018

OTP 15 January 2018:Mississippi’s anti-gay marriage law is hurting two college baseball teams

The “stick to sports” mantra took on a life of its own in 2017, as the interweaving of sports and politics was undeniable and, ultimately, angered quite a few sports fans. Still, protests during the national anthem or political tweets by athletes never actually got in the way of the action or stopped games from being played.

But politics have halted a college baseball series between the University of Southern Mississippi and Stony Brook University, a public school in New York. The two schools were scheduled to meet in a three-game series in February, but dueling declarations in each state have now made that series impossible. The kicker? It has absolutely nothing to do with baseball.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 15, 2018 at 03:13 PM | 2103 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college baseball, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 16 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 14 15 16 17 18 >  Last ›
   1501. Count Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:05 PM (#5609611)
Re 1485- you have no evidence or reason to think that people were commissioned to make up lies. You also keep saying the Russians as if Steele was working with people who were working on behalf of the Russian government, which there is no evidence of. This has been explained to you many times, yet you persist!
   1502. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5609613)
So it’s the Dems fault because the GOP knows what is in their heart so they won’t bring up a vote to put the Dems on record? That’s so nice of them. And they said compassionate conservatism was dead.
   1503. Srul Itza Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5609614)
There comes a time in every poker game where one must either raise or fold. Calling is not a option

Unless you're playing table stakes.
   1504. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5609615)
Schumer emerges from WH begging session confident Trump now understands what government is.

Kidding... nobody is ever confident trump understands anything.
   1505. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5609617)
Re 1485- you have no evidence or reason to think that people were commissioned to make up lies.

People were commissioned. Lies were the result.

You also keep saying the Russians as if Steele was working with people who were working on behalf of the Russian government, which there is no evidence of. This has been explained to you many times, yet you persist!

The rebuttal to this has been explained to you.
   1506. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:09 PM (#5609618)
Unless you're playing table stakes.

Yes. I mostly play no-limit hold'em tournament style, which is the POV I was speaking from.
   1507. zenbitz Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:09 PM (#5609619)
We are a no shoe household. Although "never" isn't quite right, if I am going right back out (say to take out the garbage) I just leave them on.

My wife picked up the habit from her Japanese bestie when lwe were all living in NY.

I should add, it's not like we are fanatical about guests or anything. In fact, other than kids I don't think I've ever asked anyone to take their shoes off. It's been over 20 years but I think our Japanese friend would insist.
   1508. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5609621)
The idea of wearing shoes in the house seems stupid, especially if you live where there's dirt.
   1509. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5609622)
The dossier is a collection of speculation and "research" that looks sort of reasonable if you don't sweat details. For example, there's a pretty good chance Trump's done naughty stuff that *normal politicians* might get leveraged over - but this is Trump, so those bits don't matter. In addition, there was clearly a good amount of communication between various Russians and various campaign people - and Steele got some broad strokes of that, but what's come to light since has made it clear the granular details are quite different.
That may be your opinion, PepTech, but Simpson and Steele (with an assist from Team Hillary, who funded their work?) peddled the dossier to the Bureau and media before the election as if all of its contents were credible; we also know that the Obama administration and Team Hillary peddled the dossier to the media immediately afterward. More importantly, we still don't know to what extent the "salacious and unverified" document (remember: those are James Comey's words) was used to open the investigation into Trump collusion or in the FISA warrant process -- and whether high-ranking Bureau officials acted illegally/inappropriately.

Completely separate from any "evidence" (and those are joke quotes, the dossier doesn't have anything I'm aware of that would hold up in court) in the dossier, there are a bunch of legitimate issues to explore w/r/t Trump and Russia:

- Activities of Manafort, Page, Papa, Kushner, DJTJr, Sessions, Flynn during the campaign and transition. Why all the obfuscation surrounding this stuff?
- What was the true story behind the changing of the Ukraine plank?
- Extent of "Russian mafia^" interest in various Trump holdings and projects
- Involvement/awareness of Russia/Wikileaks connection (if any)
- Involvement/awareness of Russian attempts to "influence the election" through social media or whatever stuff went on
You've been around here long enough to know that I've always supported investigations into Trump's pre-2016 campaign finances. But Russia collusion is bullshit -- which helps explain why, as early as November, House Intel Democrats were pivoting away from that topic to focus on money laundering.

And if obfuscation equals guilt, then fine, haul Trump away in handcuffs, just as soon as you sentence both Clintons to 25 years to life.
   1510. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:13 PM (#5609623)
And if obfuscation implies guilt, then fine, haul Trump away in handcuffs, just as soon as you sentence both Clintons to 25 years to life by now.

Deal.
   1511. Hot Wheeling American in his sleazy salon Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5609626)
Russia-linked Twitter accounts are working overtime to help Devin Nunes and WikiLeaks
Republican lawmakers are pushing for the House Intelligence Committee to release a memo written by the panel's chairman, Rep. Devin Nunes, that outlines purported surveillance during the transition period against President-elect Donald Trump by former President Barack Obama's administration.

And Russia-linked Twitter bots have jumped on the bandwagon.

#ReleaseTheMemo is the top-trending hashtag among Twitter accounts linked to Russian influence operations, according to Hamilton 68, a website launched last year that says it tracks Russian propaganda in near-real time.

The frequency with which the accounts have been promoting the hashtag has spiked by 233,000% over the past 48 hours, according to the site. The accounts' references to the "memo," meanwhile, have increased by 68,000%.

The most-shared domain among the accounts has been WikiLeaks, and the most-shared URL has been a link to WikiLeaks' "submit" page.

Bret Schafer, a communications coordinator at the German Marshall Fund's Alliance for Securing Democracy who tracks the Hamilton 68 accounts, said he "certainly can't remember" the last time the researchers had seen a topic "promoted to this level" by the Russia-linked bots and trolls.

"On a normal day, our top hashtag is typically used around 400 times in a 48-hour period by the network we track," he said in an email on Friday.

"As of right now, #ReleaseTheMemo has been used over 3,000 times (and five other related hashtags are in the top 10)," he said. "In total, they've easily shared more than 4,500 hashtags on the topic in the past two days, and our top URL is Assange's offer to pay for a copy of the memo. That certainly seems to be a sign of a coordinated effort by the bots and trolls."
   1512. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:17 PM (#5609628)
(with an assist from Team Hillary, who funded their work?)

What is this mealy-mouthed punctuation? Just say they did and live with it, or use the actual words that indicate it's not proven they did but you're praying that's the case.
   1513. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5609629)
Prediction: Trump will say that he made some sort of deal with Schumer to avoid a shutdown. Some time later, Trump will renege (after McCarthy, Kelly and Miller speak with him).
   1514. Traderdave Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5609630)
And if obfuscation implies guilt, then fine, haul Trump away in handcuffs, just as soon as you sentence both Clintons to 25 years to life by now.

Clinton was impeached as a result of an investigation into a pre-presidential real estate investment (in which no wrongdoing on his part was ever found) that morphed into an investigation of getting a bee jay while he was president.

Il Duce is alleged to have been involved in far worse, and more numerous, crimes pre-presidency and has gone to some lengths to obscure them. Some might use the term "obstruct justice" and they aren't crazy.

Are you sure you want to stand so firmly on the Whitewater precedent?
   1515. tshipman Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5609631)
Schumer hasn't agreed to a vote on the House bill, just on cloture, which requires 60 votes and the Senate Democrats are prepared to vote against.

Right, but that's because he can't re-invoke cloture after waiving it.

The filibuster is not the issue for McConnell--he doesn't have 50 votes. That's why he hasn't scheduled the vote.
   1516. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5609632)
We might need a ruling from Clapper on whether the 2016 election is over or not...
   1517. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5609633)
Russia-linked Twitter accounts are working overtime to help Devin Nunes and WikiLeaks
Russia bots hijack a conservative hashtag and Natasha Bertrand promptly insinuates House Intel Committee Republicans are in bed with Kremlin intel. This #### is so old.
   1518. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5609635)
The problem is that this was not opposition "research," because inherent in that is that you're looking for and finding things that are actually true. This effort, quite to the contrary, was to gin up and smear Trump with salacious "facts" that were made up out of whole cloth.

Q: What's the evidence of this?

A: I wish it was true.
   1519. Omineca Greg Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5609636)
Double trouble for single malts after 'prohibition-style' raids on B.C. whisky joints
Officials seized hundreds of bottles of booze obtained through the Scotch Malt Whisky Society

Liam Britten

Eliot Ness was nowhere to be seen and Tommy guns weren't flashed, but nonetheless government agents raided several bars in B.C. for their booze Thursday.
One of those establishments was Fets Whisky Kitchen in East Vancouver.
As staff watched, two men and one woman from the B.C. Ministry of Attorney General used a library-style rolling ladder to climb the floor-to-ceiling bottle display shelves and grab several dozen bottles of liquor.

Fets owner Allura Fergie says the inspectors took 300 bottles from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society collection. "Cask-strength, single barrel. Amazing whisky."
"They came in … said we had illegal product on our shelves and they were going to confiscate it," Fergie recounted. "They told me it was illegal, but it was all bought in B.C. legally."
The society is a whisky club that says it has the world`s largest selection of single-cask, single-malt whiskies in Canada. Its website says members get exclusive access to the world's best selection of "fabulous and interesting malt whiskies right here in Canada."
Fergie says agents told her she hadn't purchased the limited-edition liquor — which she says is worth thousands of dollars — from the liquor distribution branch.
She denies that.
Susie Sirri director of operations for the Grand Hotel Nanaimo, says her establishment also was targeted because of alcohol from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society.
"We're trying to support having something a little more unique and being competitive," Sirri said. "You have to pull in bottles that are unusual to lure in your customers and your clients."

She says government officials hadn`t previously expressed concerns about her establishment's choice of products, and would rather they had tried to have a conversation with her instead of taking a "heavy-handed" approach.
Scotch Malt Whisky Society Canada co-founder Rob Carpenter said in an email all of his products are registered with the B.C. Liquor Distribution Branch and the government has received its fair share of taxes.
"We were taken completely by surprise and don't understand what has led to the B.C. government undertaking today's prohibition-style raids," he wrote.

Ian Tostenson of the B.C. Restaurant and Food Services Association said restaurants and bars can't sell alcohol to their patrons unless it has been purchased through the provincial liquor distribution branch.
"I suspect what happened here is … these guys bought the whisky because it was a specialty product, it's probably not available in government liquor stores and they're all about whisky," Tostenson said.
"The fact is, they're offside because of the way the law is right now. It's unfortunate."
Tostenson said frustrations arise when a private retailer has a certain product that the government doesn't have.
Even if a private retailer's booze was bought from the Liquor Distribution Branch, the private store can't sell it to a bar — even if it takes the liquor distribution branch weeks to restock the product.
"Give the restaurant flexibility to buy from the private sector as well ... then we would have avoided what happened today," he said.
Tostenson said he thinks the system will change, but it will take time.
"Liquor's a tough one. It's a slow-moving dinosaur but we have made some progress and we'll continue to make progress."
The B.C. Ministry of Attorney General did not return requests for comment.

link

Man, I hate the way our Provincial government deals with booze in BC. It's not the extreme taxation that upsets me; the government has to get its money from somewhere, and if you can't afford to drink here, either you're drinking too much, or you're so underemployed you should be spending more time on career improvement than worrying about the cost of boozing. But the monopoly the BCLDB has on distribution kills any sort of innovation or competitiveness in the marketplace.
   1520. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5609638)
This #### is so old. Russia bots hijack a conservative hashtag and she immediately pretends House Intel Committee Republicans are in bed with Kremlin intel.

Or did House Intel Committee Republicans hijack a Russian bot hashtag?

It all gets so hard to decipher...
   1521. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5609640)
OMG, this is SO peak Mouse. He confidently weighs in on an issue in which Republicans and Democrats are at each other's throats, expressing disdain for those who don't share his perspective. Reading that, I mention the position taken by the de facto Democrat point person. Mouse proudly replies that he doesn't know who that dude is and, by the way, why on earth should he give a flying ####?

You are insane. I am aware of the issues, I never said otherwise. The dude you keep bringing up I don't know about (well I didn't I have since looked him up).

But seriously who cares about some dude? I asked that before and no answer. Of course your lack of an answer goes well with all your other lack of answers. In an answer desert you are, all alone with only your "What about?" for company.
   1522. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5609641)

Tell you what. We'll do a Jeff Flake deal. Let's all put Trump in jail for 25 years to life and then super promise to do that to the Clintons next month. I mean what is the downside on agreeing to this? You get the buffoon out of the oval office, get Pence, a dyed in the wool Christian conservative in, and you quite possible get the Clintons locked up. Downside? Well, you're already going to lose the House so I'm not sure there would be much political fallout so I guess the only downside would be that you would have only Obama to hold up as evil incarnate. Well, him and who ever eventually becomes the house speaker for the Dems.
   1523. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5609642)

because their interests align. Fun times.
   1524. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5609643)
Clinton was impeached as a result of an investigation into a pre-presidential real estate investment (in which no wrongdoing on his part was ever found) that morphed into an investigation of getting a bee jay while he was president.
Last I checked, Clinton lied under oath. Or does that sort of thing only matter when General Flynn does it? And of course, he didn't even lie under oath...
   1525. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5609644)

Either propositions assumes they're different camps ;)
   1526. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5609645)
Either propositions assumes they're different camps ;)

Insert JE's astute observation that Dana Rohrabacher isn't even ON the House Intel committee here...

Last I checked, Clinton lied under oath. Or does that sort of thing only matter when General Flynn did it? And of course, he didn't even lie under oath...

It's OK to turn on Flynn now... you missed the memo, but he lost his good guy status when he turned rat for Mueller.
   1527. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5609647)
Tell you what. We'll do a Jeff Flake deal. Let's all put Trump in jail for 25 years to life and then super promise to do that to the Clintons next month. I mean what is the downside on agreeing to this? You get the buffoon out of the oval office, get Pence, a dyed in the wool Christian conservative in, and you quite possible get the Clintons locked up. Downside? Well, you're already going to lose the House so I'm not sure there would be much political fallout so I guess the only downside would be that you would have only Obama to hold up as evil incarnate. Well, him and who ever eventually becomes the house speaker for the Dems.

If the jail we put Trump in is on the Mexican border, I might even be convinced to fund part of the wall.
   1528. Traderdave Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5609648)
Last I checked, Clinton lied under oath. Or does that sort of thing only matter when General Flynn did it? And of course, he didn't even lie under oath...

Well, Trump would NEVER do that, so I guess he's in the clear....
   1529. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5609649)
Prediction: Trump will say that he made some sort of deal with Schumer to avoid a shutdown. Some time later, Trump will renege (after McCarthy, Kelly and Miller speak with him).

If Srul finds it acceptable to renege on deals, that's good enough for me.
   1530. Hot Wheeling American in his sleazy salon Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5609652)
If Srul finds it acceptable to renege on deals, that's good enough for me.

Why are you obsessed with Srul? It seems deranged.
   1531. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5609653)

He likes to make me jealous occasionally, pretending he's playing the field if I don't commit.
   1532. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5609654)
(with an assist from Team Hillary, who funded their work?)

What is this mealy-mouthed punctuation? Just say they did and live with it, or use the actual words that indicate it's not proven they did but you're praying that's the case.

The work order and the money ultimately came from Hillary. So either she knew what had been done in her name which makes her immoral, unethical, and unAmerican, or she didn't know what had been done in her name, which makes her an incompetent laughingstock and unfit for the job she sought.

Take your pick.
   1533. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5609655)

People went to jail due to the Whitewater Scandal, including the Clintons' business partners & the Governor of Arkansas. If Manafort's Russia-related tax issues that predate his brief 2016 campaign role count against Trump, seems like Whitewater shouldn't be so breezily dismissed.
   1534. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5609657)
People went to jail due to the Whitewater Scandal, including the Governor of Arkansas. If Manafort's Russia-related tax issues that predate his brief 2016 campaign role count against Trump, seems like Whitewater shouldn't be so breezily dismissed.

"tax issues"?

You are aware he's not in trouble for fudging a bit on a home office deduction, right?
   1535. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5609658)
The problem is that this was not opposition "research," because inherent in that is that you're looking for and finding things that are actually true. This effort, quite to the contrary, was to gin up and smear Trump with salacious "facts" that were made up out of whole cloth. With the Russians and one or more spies from a foreign country heavily involved, to boot. And then going further to shop around such nonsense to the media and the FBI in an effort to defame your opposing candidate with a smear job that you also hope will spawn federal investigations of him and his campaign -- and later his administration -- by the federal government. Which is exactly what happened.
I thought John McCain gave the dossier to the FBI? I mean I guess there were multiple copies, so multiple people might have done the same thing, but McCain was definitely one of those people.
   1536. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5609659)
I'm willing to bet there is more than a handful of Republican senators that don't want this thing to go to a vote yet and they damn sure don't want to be on record as voting no on a GOP bill. If McConnell has 51 votes he would move to end discussion and bring it to a vote thus forcing the Dems to publicly say no and thus "cause" the shutdown. That McConnell has not done this is a pretty big sign that he does not have his house in order yet.

This is 100% correct.
   1537. Traderdave Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5609660)
People went to jail due to the Whitewater Scandal, including the Governor of Arkansas. If Manafort's Russia-related tax issues that predate his brief 2016 campaign role count against Trump, seems like Whitewater shouldn't be so breezily dismissed.

Agreed, Trumpkins should not breezily dismiss Whitewater, just as they'd be wise to not harp on Bill's mis-deeds, real or imagined, because -- I hope you're sitting down for this -- Il Duce's mis-deeds are far more egregious and numerous, and the discovery and release of them WILL BRING HIM DOWN.
   1538. Greg K Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5609661)
The society is a whisky club that says it has the world`s largest selection of single-cask, single-malt whiskies in Canada.

Am I the only one confused by this sentence?

EDIT: Do they mean they have Canada's largest selection of global whiskies?
   1539. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5609663)
Schumer hasn't agreed to a vote on the House bill, just on cloture, which requires 60 votes and the Senate Democrats are prepared to vote against.

Right, but that's because he can't re-invoke cloture after waiving it.

Well, duh, when you agree to end debate and vote on a bill (the normal practice), or invoke cloture, you vote on the bill. Concession, belated though it was, accepted.
   1540. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5609664)
The dossier is a collection of speculation and "research" that looks sort of reasonable if you don't sweat details. For example, there's a pretty good chance Trump's done naughty stuff that *normal politicians* might get leveraged over - but this is Trump, so those bits don't matter. In addition, there was clearly a good amount of communication between various Russians and various campaign people - and Steele got some broad strokes of that, but what's come to light since has made it clear the granular details are quite different.

That may be your opinion, PepTech, but Simpson and Steele (with an assist from Team Hillary, who funded their work?) peddled the dossier to the Bureau and media before the election as if all of its contents were credible; we also know that the Obama administration and Team Hillary peddled the dossier to the media immediately afterward. More importantly, we still don't know to what extent the "salacious and unverified" document (remember: those are James Comey's words) was used to open the investigation into Trump collusion or in the FISA warrant process -- and whether high-ranking Bureau officials acted illegally/inappropriately.
Jason, you're still talking orthogonally. What any of those folks did with the dossier (either creating it or peddling it) is an issue, sure. But approximately none of the dossier information is relevant to whatever Mueller is doing.

This feels like a custody battle where the mom says the dad never dressed the kids appropriately or fed them properly and didn't know they were sneaking out at night and introduced them to drugs, and the dad's response is "you're such a liar, I damn well knew they were sneaking out at night!"

I also note you've got nuttin' on the trainwreck aspect. Does this mean you agree?
   1541. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5609665)

Srul taught us that it's ok to renege on deals.
   1542. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5609666)
Jason, you're still talking orthogonally.

Concession accepted.
   1543. Srul Itza Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5609668)
The filibuster is not the issue for McConnell--he doesn't have 50 votes.

He probably does, but is pretending he doesn't, so the Dems will think it is safe to bring it to a vote. The long con.

Why are you obsessed with Srul?

Isn't everyone?
   1544. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5609670)
I love that Jason and Ray are both aping SBB.
   1545. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:48 PM (#5609671)
I'm willing to bet there is more than a handful of Republican senators that don't want this thing to go to a vote yet and they damn sure don't want to be on record as voting no on a GOP bill. If McConnell has 51 votes he would move to end discussion and bring it to a vote thus forcing the Dems to publicly say no and thus "cause" the shutdown. That McConnell has not done this is a pretty big sign that he does not have his house in order yet.

This is 100% correct.

Shutdowns are the GOP brand. Hating government is the GOP brand.

Granted, most news cycle win/losses are silly -- but I find this one to be sillier than most... more than a decade of GOP marketing undone by a hashtag?

Regardless, I am rooting for a last minute passage of the CR... because this has been so much fun that I would hate for a broader deal to emerge that shortchanges us the same fun next month.
   1546. Srul Itza Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5609673)
Do they mean they have Canada's largest selection of global whiskies?

I read it to mean they have largest selection of global whiskies, and that the collection is located in Canada.
   1547. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5609675)
9 hours and 10 minutes until government SHUTDOWN.
   1548. PepTech, Intermittently Stable Genius Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5609676)
Re 1485- you have no evidence or reason to think that people were commissioned to make up lies.

People were commissioned. Lies were the result.
By this "logic", if I hire a roofer that uses shoddy materials and I have a leak, there is no explanation other than that I explicitly directed them to.
   1549. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5609678)

Not really. Ray is consistent in what he's imagining the facts are.
   1550. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5609679)
Delicious

Sen. Graham: “I don’t know where Sen. McConnell is at. I know he’s a bit frustrated that he doesn’t know where the White House wants us to land.”

Hey fellas, you wanted a President who thinks marching orders are comprised of running around at random, frantically, and with no clear destination in mind.
   1551. Traderdave Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5609680)
Speaking of Canadian whisky, are there any that are both worth drinking and generally available in the US without jumping through hoops?

By "worth drinking" I mean something a bourbon snob would enjoy sipping neat.
   1552. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5609681)
This Republican is pretty pissed that the Feds will re-try Senator Menendez, a diehard liberal on domestic issues but hawkish on foreign affairs. Nearly all of the jurors in the original trial favored acquittal and you'd think Sessions and/or the prosecutors would have taken seriously that message. Guess not.

#smdh
   1553. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5609682)
Hey fellas, you wanted a President who thinks marching orders are comprised of running around random, frantically, and with no clear destination in mind.

He's not who they wanted, but they are stuck with him and trying to make the best of it. I won't shed a tear in sympathy though.

edit: OTOH, they could really stick it to him by agreeing to a deal with the Dems with a veto proof majority. Not holding my breath on that one though.
   1554. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5609683)
People went to jail due to the Whitewater Scandal, including the Clintons' business partners & the Governor of Arkansas. If Manafort's Russia-related tax issues that predate his brief 2016 campaign role count against Trump, seems like Whitewater shouldn't be so breezily dismissed.

"tax issues"?

You are aware he's not in trouble for fudging a bit on a home office deduction, right?

I was being succinct - it was allegedly a scheme to avoid disclosing and paying taxes on foreign payments. Call it money-laundering, failure to disclose, false statements, etc. It still all involves Manafort's personal business conduct well before he had any campaign role.
   1555. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:55 PM (#5609684)

lemme guess, you don't care? Personally I have plans to heli ski in Rainier National Park this weekend if it is shut down, gonna dump fuel on the way out on the Edmunds Glacier too! It's going to be so much winning.
   1556. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5609685)
I was being succinct - it was allegedly a scheme to avoid disclosing and paying taxes on foreign payments. Call it money-laundering, failure to disclose, false statements, etc. It still all involves Manafort's personal business conduct well before he had any campaign role.

What campaign role was that?

Did there happen to be any allegations regarding that role that were at all related to those "foreign" interests?

I haven't been following the news, so thanks in advance.
   1557. tshipman Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5609686)
Well, duh, when you agree to end debate and vote on a bill (the normal practice), or invoke cloture, you vote on the bill. Concession, belated though it was, accepted.

This is why everyone on the board knows you as the biggest hack of all.

Yup. Clapper's spin aside: Graham, Rand Paul and Jeff Flake are all a "no" for this bill. McConnell doesn't want to weaken his position by showing bipartisan opposition.

Schumer isn't going to throw away his only leverage just to be a nice guy, but McConnell's primary issue is that he doesn't have the votes to pass. After he solves that, THEN he needs to solve the filibuster issue.
   1558. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5609687)

If there were an Olympics for cockholstering they'd all be medaling like Michael Phelps, swimming in their pool of dimwittery and obfuscation.
   1559. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5609688)
lemme guess, you don't care?

He's a nihilist.
   1560. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5609689)

I do not.

But watch, as David will tell you that since I posted about it, I really DO care whether the silly government is SHUT DOWN.
   1561. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5609690)
What campaign role was that?

I think he stuffed envelopes at the South Dakota campaign headquarters or somethinglike that.
   1562. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5609691)
Jason, you're still talking orthogonally. What any of those folks did with the dossier (either creating it or peddling it) is an issue, sure. But approximately none of the dossier information is relevant to whatever Mueller is doing.
Sure, Trump's firing of Comey may have been a more proximate cause of Mueller's appointment but would the original investigation into Trump collusion have started had it not been for the dossier? Would a FISA warrant and subsequent eavesdropping have taken place had it not been for the dossier? We still don't know.
I also note you've got nuttin' on the trainwreck aspect. Does this mean you agree?
? ? ?
   1563. Greg K Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5609692)
Do they mean they have Canada's largest selection of global whiskies?

I read it to mean they have largest selection of global whiskies, and that the collection is located in Canada.

Ah, that makes sense.
   1564. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5609693)

lemme guess, you don't care? Personally I have plans to heli ski in Rainier National Park this weekend if it is shut down, gonna dump fuel on the way out on the Edmunds Glacier too! It's going to be so much winning.

It's like the Trumpkins are producing a theatrical production of the week - with Ray in the starring role as Trump.

JE and Clapper desperately trying to show their earnestness about government, avoiding shutdowns, and blaming Democrats.... and RayTrump screws it up by announcing he doesn't care.
   1565. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5609694)

It's curious, in the absence of government who does he fill out paperwork for? Should our Little Lord be concerned that he'd have to get a real job? His airy hand-waving indicates that he's not really convinced the shutdown will persist for any notable length, if at all.
   1566. tshipman Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5609695)
Sure, Trump's firing of Comey may have been a more proximate cause of Mueller's appointment but would the original investigation into Trump collusion have started had it not been for the dossier? Would a FISA warrant and subsequent eavesdropping have taken place had it not been for the dossier? We still don't know.

Yes, we do. The FBI opened the investigation in response to a tip from a 5 eyes partner.

But yeah, keep on digging. Maybe after your president R-(ussia) gets impeached, you can keep crying, "BUT HER EMAILS!!!!!"
   1567. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5609696)
I think he stuffed envelopes at the South Dakota campaign headquarters or somethinglike that.

It's no wonder that Team Trump had so much trouble with coffee fetchers -- with so many of them, it was inevitable that they would be constantly running into each other, tripping over each, etc.
   1568. Greg K Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5609697)
I was surprised to see Don Draper drinking so much Canadian Club on Mad Men.

In my undergraduate days that was the rye for kids who didn't give a hoot about rye and wanted something to mix their ginger with.
   1569. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5609698)
The survey breaks it down by region and age group, but even if every Muslim and Hindu and African immigrant followed this custom,** how could those numbers be so high? Except in cases of bad weather where shoes would be wet or caked with mud, who here takes off their shoes when entering his house?
Andy once again proves he's from another planet. Who doesn't take off his or her shoes when entering his or her own house?
   1570. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5609699)
Speaking of Canadian whisky, are there any that are both worth drinking and generally available in the US without jumping through hoops?

The Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is pretty decent, and won Jim Murray's whisky bible's whisky of the year in 2016. That was an overbid (can't sell books if Ardbeg 10 is your world whisky of the year every year), but it's pleasant, not terribly expensive, and a sensible example of what Canadian rye is like. The Pennsylvania State Store stocks it, so it's probably widely available?

1571. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5609701)
Andy once again proves he's from another planet. Who doesn't take off his or her shoes when entering his or her own house?

Even I do that.

OTOH I allow people who come into my apartment to keep their shoes on.
   1572. Traderdave Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5609702)
I was surprised to see Don Draper drinking so much Canadian Club on Mad Men.

Prohibition cast a very long shadow over US drinking culture. Only in recent years has bourbon finally outsold it.

1573. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5609703)
You are insane. I am aware of the issues, I never said otherwise. The dude you keep bringing up I don't know about (well I didn't I have since looked him up).

But seriously who cares about some dude? I asked that before and no answer. Of course your lack of an answer goes well with all your other lack of answers. In an answer desert you are, all alone with only your "What about?" for company.
If I didn't know who were the key players on a specific issue, I wouldn't strut around being so ####-sure of my viewpoint until undertaking some additional research. And when called on my ignorance, I wouldn't double down celebrating my lack of knowledge.

YMMV, apparently.
   1574. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5609704)
Apparently, not a big issue, but Sotomayor Health Scare Concerns Neighbors:
Paramedics were called to the Washington home of Justice Sonia Sotomayor Friday morning, but a Supreme Court spokeswoman said the justice was not hospitalized and went to work Friday after being treated for low blood sugar.

"She experienced symptoms of low blood sugar at her home this morning. She was treated by emergency medical services and is doing fine," court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg told POLITICO. "She's at work and following her usual schedule and will be participating in all planned activities over the weekend."

One downside of being famous in DC.
   1575. bunyon Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5609705)

I think this is pretty clearly an age thing. Everyone under about 60 I know takes their shoes off. Those over don't. My parents, and certainly their parents, thought it crazy.

I've come around to the idea of houseshoes. Especially in winter. Very comfortable and stay firmly inside so they're clean.
   1576. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5609706)
I can't quite make out the name on the pizza boxes, but I'm sure this has to do with pedophile sex slaves on mars....
   1577. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5609707)
That can't be as annoying as his habit of keeping the gramophone turned on long after the stylus has reached the end of a 45. (smile)
   1578. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:09 PM (#5609708)
Oh, and if you're not familiar with it, Rye Whisky is such the Canadian style that "Rye" means "Whisky" in Canadian English.

Apart from that and "Hydro", I never find Canadian English stumping Americans as to what words mean.

Well, maybe table here, this being a political forum. But otherwise it don't come up, b'y.
   1579. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5609710)
I've come around to the idea of houseshoes. Especially in winter. Very comfortable and stay firmly inside so they're clean.

Slippers, my man, slippers!

I used to scoff at them, too - but randomly dropping into a Macy's store closing some years back and dropping 10 what the hell bucks on a pair - I have since come to regret my prior rejection of such footware as bourgeois baubles for the elderly.

Slippers are awesome.
   1580. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5609711)
The problem is that this was not opposition "research," because inherent in that is that you're looking for and finding things that are actually true. This effort, quite to the contrary, was to gin up and smear Trump with salacious "facts" that were made up out of whole cloth.
[Citation needed.]

Actual opposition research would be to discover things like the Access Hollywood tape, or to find a Stormy Daniels or some such. Those things are par for the opposition research course. What Hillary did -- to commission someone to commission someone to just make up lies about your opponent with the help of the Russians in order to influence the election (there could be no other reason) and hopefully get him investigated -- most certainly is not.
Of course, the problem here is that you are -- what's your favorite word? Oh yeah: lying.
   1581. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5609712)

Meh. I'll gladly and happily keep the sock industry alive. Shoes are never that comfortable.
   1582. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5609713)

By "worth drinking" I mean something a bourbon snob would enjoy sipping neat.

Whistlepig.
   1583. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5609714)

[Citation needed.]

For which part?

Actual opposition research would be to discover things like the Access Hollywood tape, or to find a Stormy Daniels or some such. Those things are par for the opposition research course. What Hillary did -- to commission someone to commission someone to just make up lies about your opponent with the help of the Russians in order to influence the election (there could be no other reason) and hopefully get him investigated -- most certainly is not.

Of course, the problem here is that you are -- what's your favorite word? Oh yeah: lying.

What's the lie?
   1584. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5609715)
The problem I have with the whole shoes on/off in the house thing is that often I leave the NY and DC apartments and then going back inside upon realizing I've forgotten something. Now that's no biggie when wearing loafers or flip-flops but becomes a YUGE pain in the tuchus when lace-ups are involved.
   1585. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5609716)
Meh. I'll gladly and happily keep the sock industry alive. Shoes are never that comfortable.

I'm telling you... slippers.

Fuzzy, warm, soft-soled slippers.

They're not just comfortable, but fun -- I occasionally enjoy tossing on crumpled boxers, a stained white undershirt, grabbing a beer out of the fridge and slipping on my now-well-worn oldest pair just so I can bellow "STEEELLLLAAAA!" for my own amusement.
   1586. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5609717)

Prohibition cast a very long shadow over US drinking culture. Only in recent years has bourbon finally outsold it.

It goes back even further than that. Americans and for that matter the rest of world was not picky with their alcohol. American markets back in the day and post prohibition wanted cheap and consistent above all else. IF you were going to go national that was what you were going to have to produce.
   1587. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5609718)
What's the lie?

This:

What Hillary did -- to commission someone to commission someone to just make up lies about your opponent with the help of the Russians in order to influence the election (there could be no other reason) and hopefully get him investigated

It's not impossible that this is what happened. But it's highly unlikely. Stating that this is definitively whathappened, when neither you nor anyone else but a scant few know the truth, is the lie.
   1588. . . . . . . . . . . Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:20 PM (#5609719)
Wiser's 18 has good and bad bottles, but it's definitely worth the $50-60 flyer. It's got no rye in its mashbill though, FWIW, so it really seems more like a Bourbon than a true Canadian.
   1589. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5609721)
I can't quite make out the name on the pizza boxes, but I'm sure this has to do with pedophile sex slaves on mars....

We The Pizza. The Top Chef contestant's pizza place, it's near the Capitol. I lived near it but I refuse to go into top chef contestant's places. Especially that guy's places.
   1590. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5609722)
What Hillary did -- to commission someone to commission someone to just make up lies about your opponent with the help of the Russians in order to influence the election (there could be no other reason) and hopefully get him investigated

It's not impossible that this is what happened. But it's highly unlikely. Stating that this is definitively whathappened, when neither you nor anyone else but a scant few know the truth, is the lie.

OK, but other than that?
   1591. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5609723)
I'm telling you... slippers.

Fuzzy, warm, soft-soled slippers.

Too warm. I don't even like socks on my feet when I'm at home. And when sleeping I always have my feet poking out of the covers.
   1592. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5609724)

Slippers are awesome.
Not just bipartisan, but international agreement.
   1593. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5609725)
Especially that guy's places.

Which guy? I looked at the website and was surprised to not find PR for whichever TOP CHEF dude.
   1594. Shredder Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:28 PM (#5609727)
Trump in the Rose Garden today:
“Right now in a number of states the law allows a baby to be born from his or her mother’s womb in the ninth month,” Trump said. “It is wrong,” Trump continued. “It has to change.”
First of all, I’m pretty sure all states allow this. Second, I’m sure my wife would agree, as she’s about eight months and would live to deliver now, but good lord, I hope they don’t change the law that allows women to deliver in the ninth month anytime soon. That sounds like a radical departure from the norm. Either that, or our President is an absolute ####### moron.
   1595. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:28 PM (#5609728)
Spike Mendelsohn
   1596. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5609729)
Slippers are awesome.
Not just bipartisan, but international agreement.

How can you mewling apes like slippers but hate bathrobes? You have an illness.
   1597. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5609730)

For which part?
For the part where you claim that they weren't looking for and finding things that were true, but instead were making an effort to gin up and smear Trump with made-up facts. Hillary did not order the Code Red. Steele didn't make up facts because Hillary instructed him to do so.

What's the lie?
That Hillary commissioned someone to just make up lies about Trump.
   1598. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5609731)

She commissioned this hit job. I'm sure she'd have been happy to have them dig up the truth if it existed (and painted Trump in a bad light), but in the absence of that they came back with lies. And she had her surrogates run with them anyway.

That's the context in which this statement was made, and only a hyper-literal reading of it would call it a lie. What IS it with you not being able to read in context? Every word is not to be taken literally. That's simply not how normal people speak or write.
   1599. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5609732)
If the Republicans want to pass DACA why don't they agree to pass DACA?

Or why don't they just tell Trump to reverse his decision to rescind it? He was the one that caused this mess in the first place.

As usual, the entire Congress is at the mercy of a bunch of "Freedom Caucus" nativists and a schizophrenic president, who cries crocodile tears over the DACA beneficiaries one minute and then deliberately screws them the next. Another moment for Jill Stein voters to savor.
   1600. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5609734)
She commissioned this hit job. I'm sure she'd have been happy to have them dig up the truth if it existed (and painted Trump in a bad light), but in the absence of that they came back with lies. And she had her surrogates run with them anyway.

Whose cockholster surrogate are you running with these lies?
Page 16 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 14 15 16 17 18 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.