Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 15, 2018

OTP 15 January 2018:Mississippi’s anti-gay marriage law is hurting two college baseball teams

The “stick to sports” mantra took on a life of its own in 2017, as the interweaving of sports and politics was undeniable and, ultimately, angered quite a few sports fans. Still, protests during the national anthem or political tweets by athletes never actually got in the way of the action or stopped games from being played.

But politics have halted a college baseball series between the University of Southern Mississippi and Stony Brook University, a public school in New York. The two schools were scheduled to meet in a three-game series in February, but dueling declarations in each state have now made that series impossible. The kicker? It has absolutely nothing to do with baseball.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 15, 2018 at 03:13 PM | 2103 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college baseball, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 17 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 >  Last ›
   1601. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5609735)
Either that, or our President is an absolute ####### moron.
Either that, or he said "torn," not "born," and you misheard him.

EDIT: No, the president is a moron. But I think my explanation for this particular statement makes more sense than yours.
   1602. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5609736)
Wiser's 18 has good and bad bottles, but it's definitely worth the $50-60 flyer. It's got no rye in its mashbill though, FWIW, so it really seems more like a Bourbon than a true Canadian.

Recommending a Canadian Whisky that's not a rye? You're the kind of guy who visits Jerusalem and doesn't want to see the Sexeteria!
   1603. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5609737)
She commissioned this hit job. I'm sure she'd have been happy to have them dig up the truth if it existed (and painted Trump in a bad light), but in the absence of that they came back with lies. And she had her surrogates run with them anyway.

That's the context in which this statement was made, and only a hyper-literal reading of it would call it a lie. What IS it with you not being able to read in context? Every word is not to be taken literally. That's simply not how normal people speak or write.
What is it with you being unable to speak honestly?
   1604. Omineca Greg Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5609738)
EDIT: Do they mean they have Canada's largest selection of global whiskies?
Yes.

Speaking of Canadian whisky, are there any that are both worth drinking and generally available in the US without jumping through hoops?

The one I would recommend is Caribou Crossing. It's widely available in the US I believe. The good thing about it if you're curious about Canadian whisky, is that the Caribou Crossing has a very typical flavour profile. It's not innovative or pushing the limits of what a Canadian can be, it's just an especially well done version of our regular national style.

Canadian whiskies would probably be most interesting to American whiskey snobs for our unique approach to rye flavours. We call our whisky "rye" even if there's no rye in it, which foreigners find confusing and misleading, but once you know the history of distilling here, it makes perfect sense. Our pioneer distillers used wheat as the main mash, as it's what they had, and although a serviceable drink, they found it was much improved by blending rye whisky into it. Customers would ask for "rye" by name, and would pay a lot more for it, so as it became a more mature industry, distillers got better and better at getting the particular flavour they were looking for: they would use a very mild wheat (but now usually corn) whisky, not a neutral grain spirit, (to be sold as whisky in Canada every component has to be aged 3 years), but having a bland flavour where the goal is to make it receptive to the addition of a stronger, kick-ass whisky, known as "flavouring whisky", made usually, but not always, from rye. So all whisky gets called rye here, even if the blender is just so damn good at their job that they can get the accepted flavour profile without actually using any rye.

In recent years, these flavouring whiskies have sometimes been sold in the US under different names...Mastersons, Whistlepig, I dunno, there's a few of them and it's kind of a grey...er, gray...market dealie. The flavouring whiskies would be interesting to whisky snobs, as they are strongly, and hopefully uniquely, flavoured whiskies that are sort of leveraged against the milder, "base whisky" in our blends to come up with the tastes Canadian consumers expect.

The only bad thing about Caribou Crossing is its cost. $50 in the US, $100 in Canada. And there's no way that's a good value, if price were really important I would recommend something different (although I'd be limited by not knowing what's easy for you guys to get). But like I said, Caribou Crossing is the platonic ideal of Canadian whisky, done to a very high level, so if you don't like it at all, probably you'd have a hard time finding any Canadian whiskies you would like.
   1605. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:34 PM (#5609739)

If the Republicans want to pass DACA why don't they agree to pass DACA?

Or why don't they just tell Trump to reverse his decision to rescind it?
Because it's not legal.
   1606. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:34 PM (#5609740)
Andy once again proves he's from another planet. Who doesn't take off his or her shoes when entering his or her own house?

I think this is pretty clearly an age thing. Everyone under about 60 I know takes their shoes off.

Funny, when I think of people who walk around with their shoes off, I think of mainly Buddhists, Muslims and hippies. Do you guys also still wear tie-dye T-shirts?
   1607. tshipman Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5609741)
What is it with you being unable to speak honestly?

This is the part that bothers me the most.

Like, it's a ####### baseball website. Why all the spinning and careful need to get the frame you want and all this other crap?

This board has never changed anyone's mind, and is read by literally a dozen people. It has zero influence. You can drop the act, the spinning and the talking points. It's okay. We can just talk to each other.
   1608. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5609742)
That Hillary commissioned someone to just make up lies about Trump.

Not just "someone", the same folks who spread the anti-Magnitsky smears. They had a pretty good idea what they'd get for their money.
   1609. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5609743)
This board has never changed anyone's mind

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I mean "never" is a long damned time. I know I've had mine changed. Not GREATLY or FREQUENTLY, but words move people.
   1610. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5609744)
If the Republicans want to pass DACA why don't they agree to pass DACA?

Or why don't they just tell Trump to reverse his decision to rescind it?

Because it's not legal.

First, isn't that still in the courts as we speak?

But assuming that the Republican-controlled Supreme Court will eventually agree with your position, since when has legality ever stopped Trump?
   1611. bunyon Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5609745)
Meh. I'll gladly and happily keep the sock industry alive. Shoes are never that comfortable.

I'm telling you... slippers.

Fuzzy, warm, soft-soled slippers.

That's what I meant by houseshoes. Not regular shoes only worn indoors.

But, it's okay, Lassus, I'm on your side with regard to the robe.

1612. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5609747)
Or any administration
   1613. McCoy Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5609748)
Robes suck because they get in the way of going to the bathroom. Just get yourself some synchilla pants and a heavy flannel/wool houseshirt and you're good to go.
   1614. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5609749)
Fuzzy, warm, soft-soled slippers.
That's what I meant by houseshoes.

GO BACK TO FRANCE, COMRADE.
   1615. Zonk's Timely Epoch Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5609750)
Trumpkins in the Mist...

Journal entry day 371

This:

What Hillary did -- to commission someone to commission someone to just make up lies about your opponent with the help of the Russians in order to influence the election (there could be no other reason) and hopefully get him investigated

It's not impossible that this is what happened. But it's highly unlikely. Stating that this is definitively whathappened, when neither you nor anyone else but a scant few know the truth, is the lie.

While I have come to admire these magnificent beasts, even found elements of majesty in what I had always believed to be a rather brutish gait - I must confess they still confound me with moments of amusement mixed with frustration. We are so similar, yet there exists this uncrossable chasm of understanding.

Today, I absently left my hat sitting on a fallen log.

The large male whom I've taken to calling Ray, who had intently been observing me as I, too, observed him, discovered it. Curious as to what would transpire next, I crouched silently but well within his sight. Feeling my eyes upon him, he carefully, even gently worked the hat in his massive hands and feigned a wiping of his brow - as he had observed me doing many times before. He briefly put the hat onto his head, but whether out of discomfort or an inherent inability to ascertain its purpose, quickly removed it.

Growing frustrated, he tried to 'wear' the hat in different manners. First on one hand, then as a ridiculous boot, finally upon his great Trumpkin ass. His final answer to the purpose of this strange object was so amusing that I could not stifle a chuckle. Sensing my amusement, he became angry. Beating his chest, bellowing his Trumpkin calls of approbation. I could not contain my enjoyment - an object so simple in its purpose, but so baffling to these wondrous creatures among which I had made my home. This only further irritated him. He again placed the hat upon his great, Trumpkiny ass and defecated onto it. Throwing it down, he began stomping on it with great fury.

As I sat at my camp that night, reflecting on this encounter and the paradoxical closeness and insurmountable distance between my own kind and these strange and wonderful beings, I was reminded yet again that I shall never forget and always treasure my unforgettable time with them.... These Trumpkins of the Mist.
   1616. Shredder Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5609751)
   1617. Zonk's Timely Epoch Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5609754)
Slippers are awesome.

Not just bipartisan, but international agreement.

How can you mewling apes like slippers but hate bathrobes? You have an illness.

I'm pro-bathrobe - but finding a good one is difficult. The only one I truly loved outlived its usefulness years ago.

The problem with bathrobes is that they lose their comfort while slippers gain in comfort.
   1618. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5609755)
Yeah, he says "born", though it's pretty easy for your brain to autopilot the word born when you mean to say torn when you're talking about babies, even if you're not suffering from rotbrain. It's 57 states foolishness.
   1619. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5609756)
It was covered in 2016 that 24th-week+ abortions are a unicorn of unicorns in the case of a severe fetal anomaly. So he gaffed about a lie, brilliant.
   1620. Shredder Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5609757)
Meh, if Republicans can still try to get mileage out of the 57 states thing, I can have a little fun with President Pussygrabber’s inability to read.
   1621. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 03:59 PM (#5609759)
You can do what you like, but the moral highground is making fun of them for trying to get mileage out of the 57 states thing.
   1622. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5609762)
I was being succinct - it was allegedly a scheme to avoid disclosing and paying taxes on foreign payments. Call it money-laundering, failure to disclose, false statements, etc. It still all involves Manafort's personal business conduct well before he had any campaign role.
That's the part he's publicly in hot water for. We have no idea what else Mueller may have come up with.
   1623. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:03 PM (#5609763)
Listen and watch for yourself, David.
Okay, yeah. he clearly says "born." But it's still obviously a speako, not a stupid statement. (Unlike, e.g., his verbal diarrhea wrt the visa lottery.)
   1624. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5609764)
How can you mewling apes like slippers but hate bathrobes? You have an illness.
Huh? I never denounced bathrobes. I'm not on Team Bathrobe (except when actually used in conjunction with bathing), but I have nothing against them.
   1625. bunyon Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5609766)
How does a bathrobe get in the way of going to the bathroom more than pants? I mean, for one, you can do it with no actual removal or undoing of anything. For two, you pretty much have to do a lot of rearranging either way.

My robe is very heavy and warm, though. Purely a winter robe. Should maybe look into a summer/spring/fall robe.
   1626. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5609768)
That's the context in which this statement was made, and only a hyper-literal reading of it would call it a lie. What IS it with you not being able to read in context? Every word is not to be taken literally. That's simply not how normal people speak or write.

It aint just me pal.
   1627. Lassus Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5609770)
Robes suck because they get in the way of going to the bathroom.

And yet you probably like dresses on women, eh? :-D

Huh? I never denounced bathrobes. I'm not on Team Bathrobe (except when actually used in conjunction with bathing), but I have nothing against them.

I was speaking generally. I'm sure you have some other illness.
   1628. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5609772)
Robes suck because they get in the way of going to the bathroom.

Robes are awesome and don't get in the way of my whizzing activities in the least. They're a bit hard to launder, and you end up losing sequins and feathers over time, but nothing beautiful lasts forever.
   1629. Zonk's Timely Epoch Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5609773)

Beyond their tendency to worsen with age, rather than improve like slippers -

My biggest problem with bathrobes is that they require annoying "wearing maintenance". Unless worn in Tony Soprano, cape-like fashion - you're stuck dealing with the belt... and the line between so loose as to require refastening and tight enough to avoid constantly re-fastening is so tiny and unachievable, it's almost impossible.

Bathrobe makers really need to take a lesson from the makers of slippers - I don't know how to do it (if I did, I'd become the Versace of bathrobes), but the key to slippers is that they slide on and off with ease. There is no clasping mechanism necessary. One can do achievable that nirvana of wallowing in luxuriance effect with no effort.
   1630. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5609774)
Jason, you're still talking orthogonally. What any of those folks did with the dossier (either creating it or peddling it) is an issue, sure. But approximately none of the dossier information is relevant to whatever Mueller is doing.

Sure, Trump's firing of Comey may have been a more proximate cause of Mueller's appointment but would the original investigation into Trump collusion have started had it not been for the dossier? Would a FISA warrant and subsequent eavesdropping have taken place had it not been for the dossier? We still don't know.
Well, we *do* know that some FISA activity occurred as early as 2013. We have no idea (other than speculation) as to what percentage of Comey's original mandate derived from the dossier. We also don't know what all the scope of everyone's activity is, which is why it's misleading to categorically state "no collusion". We still don't know.
I also note you've got nuttin' on the trainwreck aspect. Does this mean you agree?
? ? ?
OK, I'll use smaller words :)

Trump and his minions have done, let's just say a hundred shaky things in the last two years. The dossier alleges #8, #15, misrepresents #42, maybe has a point with #60, and made up a couple.

There's still a whole lot to answer for, and waving the dossier around doesn't excuse unrelated shenanigans.
   1631. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5609780)
What Hillary did -- to commission someone to commission someone to just make up lies about your opponent with the help of the Russians in order to influence the election (there could be no other reason) and hopefully get him investigated
In which Ray makes specific, repeated accusations of illegal (treasonous?) actions by a public figure.

Normal people construct arguments like this:

1) Trump and several people in his campaign specifically denied any contact between campaign personnel and foreign nationals, specifically including Russians.
2) Subsequently Michael Flynn and George Papadopoulos have pled guilty to charges surrounding contact with Russians, admitting they did so. One could make the argument that Flynn was purely transition business and not campaign, but Papadopoulos has no such claim.

Conclusion: We (the American public) have objective, proof-positive, BARD, 100% factual knowledge that Trump lies. "Lie" means to make an intentionally false statement. That's what it means.
She commissioned this hit job. I'm sure she'd have been happy to have them dig up the truth if it existed (and painted Trump in a bad light), but in the absence of that they came back with lies. And she had her surrogates run with them anyway.

Ray is a liar, henceforth to be known as Lyin' Ray.
   1632. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5609781)
the line between so loose as to require refastening and tight enough to avoid constantly re-fastening is so tiny and unachievable, it's almost impossible.

Like batting gloves.
   1633. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5609783)
You're back to the hapless Papadopoulos?
   1634. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5609784)
Robes are too close to capes.
   1635. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5609785)
You can do what you like, but the moral highground is making fun of them for trying to get mileage out of the 57 states thing.

I heard an explanation that they really meant all the state-like entities that are part of the US: 50 states + D.C., Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Marianas, American Samoa. Not sure what the 57th would be.
   1636. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5609787)
Not sure what the 57th would be.

The Panama Canal Zone, but that's gone now.
   1637. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5609788)
CNN poll just now:
Which is more important for Congress to do?

Avoid a Shutdown: 56%

Continue DACA: 34%
Paging the senior Senator from New York...
   1638. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5609790)
Overheard on Twitter:
just eight hours until everything shuts down and american currency is replaced by tide pods
   1639. Greg K Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5609791)
This board has never changed anyone's mind

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I mean "never" is a long damned time. I know I've had mine changed. Not GREATLY or FREQUENTLY, but words move people.

Yeah this comes up fairly often. I've learned a lot from this place over the years. If I stopped learning and changing my mind about things here, I'd stop coming.

I think it's more accurate to say that some people don't treat this place as a venue to exchange ideas and change their mind on issues. Which I find weird, but I've learned to make my peace with it. Some people just like to argue.
   1640. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5609793)
No, he'd just meant to say he'd visited 47 states but fifty states is such a brain autopilot he said fifty then got back to the 7 part. Like Trump saying born today. Watch. He follows it up with "one to go, but I couldn't go to Alaska or Hawaii" - he's talking about continental states.

Simple brain fart/tripping over your tongue.
   1641. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5609794)
LMAO. Who said that?

EDIT: Oh, ####. It's the normally sane and quite engaging PepTech. :(((
   1642. Greg K Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5609795)
Speaking of learning stuff here.

What is this Tide Pods thing? I've only encountered second-hand references to the phenomenon. Is it the hip way to get high or something?
   1643. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5609796)

I thought Trump only hired the best people?

Jammies, cocoa, oreos, cartoons.
   1644. Laser Man Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5609797)
I heard an explanation that they really meant all the state-like entities that are part of the US: 50 states + D.C., Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Marianas, American Samoa. Not sure what the 57th would be.
There are 57 Democratic Presidential primaries - the 50 U.S. States, DC, American Samoa, Northern Marianas, Guam, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and Democrats Abroad - 57 Democratic Presidential Primaries.
   1645. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5609799)
Well, we *do* know that some FISA activity occurred as early as 2013. We have no idea (other than speculation) as to what percentage of Comey's original mandate derived from the dossier. We also don't know what all the scope of everyone's activity is, which is why it's misleading to categorically state "no collusion". We still don't know.
I hope we soon discover what the Obama administration, which conducted domestic surveillance on reporters, pro-Israel advocates, and Senators/Members of Congress, did here. My guess is that when all is said is done, a few senior officials will indeed need to lawyer up.
Trump and his minions have done, let's just say a hundred shaky things in the last two years. The dossier alleges #8, #15, misrepresents #42, maybe has a point with #60, and made up a couple.
I'm still confused, PepTech. What do these numbers represent? Top-100 prospects?
   1646. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5609800)
What is this Tide Pods thing? I've only encountered second-hand references to the phenomenon. Is it the hip way to get high or something?

No, doesn't get you high or anything. Kids just get off by making videos of themselves doing stupid sh-+ and this month's fad is consuming Tide pods. Next week it will be cramming a dozen Tampax up their noses or something.
   1647. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5609801)
Jason, engaging with you is a sane experience. Most of the time :) Lyin' Ray, not so much.

Papa is indeed hapless; he is not invoked as evidence of anything other than that his admissions make it clear there was, in fact, contact between campaigners and Russians. We could put Kushner and DJTJr in that bucket, as well, but they weren't under oath when they admitted their activities. (Ir)Regardless, Trump objectively lies. In the normal, human, hinged sense of the word. The statement "Trump lies" is not an opinion or subject to "context".

Lyin' Ray has made it abundantly clear that nothing he posts actually means anything. It must be liberating, from a certain point of view...
   1648. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5609802)
Well, that sure didn't take long.

As @jabeale points out in response:
If I say I hope @Patriots lose in the playoffs and a million Russian bots, child predators, alt-right websites, and convicted wife-beaters retweet me, am I "joining in" with all of these degenerates? Or is that just a silly bit of worthless deflection from the actual sentiment?
   1649. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 19, 2018 at 04:59 PM (#5609806)
If I say I hope @Patriots lose in the playoffs
Well, sounds unPatriotic.
   1650. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5609808)
If I say I hope @Patriots lose in the playoffs and a million Russian bots, child predators, alt-right websites, and convicted wife-beaters retweet me, am I "joining in" with all of these degenerates? Or is that just a silly bit of worthless deflection from the actual sentiment?
The Russian bots, child predators, alt-right websites, and convicted wife-beaters are just trying to help MAGA. Duh.

Move along, nothing to see here.
   1651. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5609811)
The Russian bots, child predators, alt-right websites, and convicted wife-beaters are just trying to help MAGA. Duh.
Particularly now, since Trump has accused Moscow of engaging in sanctions-busting WRT Pyongyang? FFS...

The Kremlin has been working to undermine the American polity, not elect and boost Trump, since 1936.
   1652. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5609813)
Beale now makes two predictions:
If the pattern holds, the next salvo in Dem defense against the Nunes memo will be in two stages: first, disparage these "attacks" on our institutions and dedicated law enforcement officers; second, "they're getting death threats." Always with the death threats.
   1653. PreservedFish Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5609815)
I think it's more accurate to say that some people don't treat this place as a venue to exchange ideas and change their mind on issues.

Super accurate. I try and put myself in that camp.

You see this when things go off-topic, too.

Ray, for example ... man he's so easy to pick on. He has absolutely no interest in what you or I have to say about movies or music or whatever. He only participates in such discussions in order to ghettoblast his own opinions. By contrast, you've got someone like BDC or Omineca Greg, both about a thousand times more sophisticated, and yet they both approach off-topic conversations with open minds, and put forward their own opinions modestly.

But as far as politics is concerned, it's difficult to change your mind when the style here is to score points via gotcha, deflect via whatabout, etc. I have learned a few things here - the first thing that leaps to mind is recently when Brian Brianson showed that there is zero evidence backing some assumptions I'd made about gun control. I'm even more cognizant of "identity politics" due to SBB's crusade. I probably found it fascinating when I came across my first e-libertarian, but that was almost two decades ago now.
   1654. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5609817)

I hope we soon discover what the Obama administration, which conducted domestic surveillance on reporters, pro-Israel advocates, and Senators/Members of Congress, did here. My guess is that when all is said is done, a few senior officials will indeed need to lawyer up.
I'd be fine with that. I'm not bleating "no shenanigans" w/r/t Obama.
I'm still confused, PepTech. What do these numbers represent? Top-100 prospects?
Seriously, taking Obtuse Lessons from Lyin' Ray? Not a good look :)

In no particular order:

1. Trump's a racist.
2. Trump's a misogynist.
3. Trump doesn't understand the connection between DACA and Dreamers.
4. Trump feels the need to outright lie about things like inaugural crowds and his weight.
5. Trump mishandled Charlottesburg.
6. Trump has no coherent strategy with regards to North Korea.
7. Trump isn't interested in taking advice from intelligent people.
8. Trump may have engaged in salacious activities with women who are not his wife and may or may not be subject to leverage by... whomever.
9. Trump was inartful, and may have got people killed, by blabbing about Israeli intelligence to Russians in the Oval Office.
10. ....

99. Trump lacks basic diplomatic skills (NB Mayor of London)
100. Trump's a racist (bears repeating).

You wave the dossier and claim HA! about #8 and whatever else it refers to either directly or tangentially. You got nothin' on the other 92, and dossier-waving will only distract the swing voters for so long.

1655. PreservedFish Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5609818)
I've learned not to trust a damn thing that Andy and Morty say about old movies unless it's also been confirmed by BDC or Gonfalon Bubble.
   1656. BrianBrianson Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5609819)
If Beale is planning on sending death threats, he'd be well advised not to advertise it.
   1657. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5609821)
Particularly now, since Trump has accused Moscow of engaging in sanctions-busting WRT Pyongyang? FFS...

The Kremlin has been working to undermine the American polity, not elect and boost Trump, since 1936.
I thought we were talking about foosball?

But yes, Russia is evil, has always been evil, and will likely be evil in the future. And now they are using technology to support the Republican party. Congratulations, I guess.

Anyway, the sanctions busting was first reported three weeks ago, so nice to hear Trump finally got the word and at least decided to mention it, if not take action to stop it.
   1658. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5609822)
Trump apparently just got out of a meeting with McConnell and Ryan. Had to reassure them that he didn't cut a deal with Schumer apparently.
   1659. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5609823)
Can anyone who knows Rasmussen's methodology explain the 5% discrepancy between this and this?
   1660. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5609825)
Jason, I am 100% on board with this statement.

I would posit that "boosting Trump" serves their goal of undermining American polity. They're not doing it because they give a rat's ass about Trump personally, they're doing it because TrumpPOTUS is less likely to effectively counter Russian interests than AnyOtherPOTUS. Trump waggles his finger at something Russia does, and they'd just laugh.

Seriously. Russian tanks could roll into Kyiv, and if Putin came on TV saying how much he respects Trump, DJT would do nothing but declare how great he (Trump) is for earning Putin's respect.
   1661. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5609826)
I've learned not to trust a damn thing that Andy and Morty say about old movies unless it's also been confirmed by BDC or Gonfalon Bubble.

It generally is always better to trust only those whose taste in anything conforms to your own. One's taste in movies is every bit as subjective as one's views on abortion.
   1662. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:33 PM (#5609834)
If you really want to lose faith in America just glance at the headline from Google's "fact check" section on Google News once and awhile. The stupid is almost too much to bear. If this is the #### people actually believe we are all in for a world of trouble.

Seriously. Russian tanks could roll into Kyiv, and if Putin came on TV saying how much he respects Trump, DJT would do nothing but declare how great he (Trump) is for earning Putin's respect.

It would be...an orange revolution!
   1663. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5609835)
Trump just tweeted that a "4 week extension would be best".

2 things will now happen: Trump will head for Mar a Lago, and the extension will be canceled by Monday.
   1664. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5609838)
Can anyone who knows Rasmussen's methodology explain the 5% discrepancy between this and this?

I *think* what is going on is that RCP is just removing "Undecideds" from the denominator. So the breakdown is 40/55/5, but RCP is converting that to 40/95=0.42 (plus some rounding that's the discrepancy between 42% and 43%).

EDIT: So basically they're treating Undecideds as non-responses. 538 doesn't do this, which is one of the reason why I prefer their aggregated polling to RCP's.
   1665. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5609843)

I *think* what is going on is that RCP is just removing "Undecideds" from the denominator. So the breakdown is 40/55/5, but RCP is converting that to 40/95=0.42 (plus some rounding that's the discrepancy between 42% and 43%).

Yes, but 55/95 = 57.9%, while 40/95 = 42.1%, for a net of -15.8%, as opposed to the 15% difference between 55% and 40%. Which is but a minor adjustment. Whereas the RCP aggregate link shows CNN's gap as only 10%. I'm sure there's an explanation, but it strikes me as a bit odd.

1666. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5609844)
Slippers are awesome.
Not just bipartisan, but international agreement.

Slippers are good, but if you are banning shoes from your house, you need some guest slippers.

It is quite common in Europe to have guest slippers in a lot of the homes that I went into.
   1667. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5609846)
P-Fish, #1655:

They're right: Barbara Stanwyck is eclectic and terrific. But they sorely overrate "Libelled Lady." More clarifications to follow, as needed.
   1668. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 19, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5609848)
@1660 is precisely correct. Russia colluded where available to promote Trump because “President Trump” itself weakens the United States.
   1669. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 19, 2018 at 06:02 PM (#5609853)
Russia's only regret is that it didn't contribute more to George Wallace's campaign in the 1968.
   1670. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 06:29 PM (#5609863)
They're right: Barbara Stanwyck is eclectic and terrific. But they sorely overrate "Libeled Lady." More clarifications to follow, as needed.

More clarifications definitely needed. Four inner circle HoFers (Powell, Loy, Harlow, Tracy) plus Walter Connolly at his best, along with a classic screwball plot and one of the best deadpan lines ("That's arson!") of all time. Off the charts great comedy.
   1671. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 19, 2018 at 06:52 PM (#5609869)
Re: #1670--
You're enjoying the overabundance of talent. The screenplay is all right. It's not the best comedy any of the four made. It's not even the best comedy made in 1936 by Powell or Loy.

I am prepared to filibuster this board until you agree that MGM's comedies were a notch below. Call it the Shearer Shutdown.
   1672. Omineca Greg Posted: January 19, 2018 at 06:53 PM (#5609870)
By contrast, you've got someone like BDC or Omineca Greg, both about a thousand times more sophisticated,

I know why they call it Fauvism....

That painting just gave me une fauve...

...IN MY PANTS!!!
   1673. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:01 PM (#5609871)
Donald Trump in 2013, on the looming federal shutdown:
Very simply, you have to get everybody in a room. You have to be a leader. The President has to lead. I hear the Democrats are going to be blamed, and the Republicans are going to be blamed. I actually think the President would be blamed. If there is a shutdown, I think it would be a tremendously negative mark on the President of the United States. He's the one who has to get people together. They're not going to be talking about who the head of the House was, the head of the Senate, who's running things in Washington. So I really think the pressure would be on the President."
   1674. BDC Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:02 PM (#5609872)
BDC or Omineca Greg, both about a thousand times more sophisticated

Hey, I like Columbo.

Libeled Lady has some great lines, but overall Nothing Sacred (which also has Walter Connolly at his best) is a much more interesting and durable movie, and pretty LOL funny, too.
   1675. . . . . . . Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:03 PM (#5609873)
Recommending a Canadian Whisky that's not a rye? You're the kind of guy who visits Jerusalem and doesn't want to see the Sexeteria!

A little rye goes a long way in a whiskey, and no rye sometimes goes even further. Like, anything over Buffalo Trace #2 (so more than around 15% rye) is really pushing it. I find Four Roses B to be way way too heavy on the rye.
   1676. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:10 PM (#5609874)
The survey breaks it down by region and age group, but even if every Muslim and Hindu and African immigrant followed this custom,** how could those numbers be so high? Except in cases of bad weather where shoes would be wet or caked with mud, who here takes off their shoes when entering his house?

I was at the movies this afternoon and am just getting caught up, but had to raise my hand. Always take my shoes off when I come in the house (well, if I'm super-desperate to take a leak I'll run to the john first). I know where the soles of my shoes have been. Besides, it's more comfortable.
   1677. Traderdave Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:16 PM (#5609875)

A little rye goes a long way in a whiskey, and no rye sometimes goes even further. Like, anything over Buffalo Trace #2 (so more than around 15% rye) is really pushing it. I find Four Roses B to be way way too heavy on the rye.

The 4R SB can be too heavy on the rye, though it varies bottle by bottle, or rather barrel by barrel. Sometimes I like that, sometimes not, that's why I keep a few different bourbons around at any time.

Some of the best bourbons I've ever had have been Four Roses E Barrel Selects, the E being the lower rye mash. I've sampled maybe half a dozen of them. All are excellent and a couple of them were HOF. As far as I know the only way to get the E mash is from a barrel select chosen by an individual liquor store. If there's another way, please let me know.
   1678. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:16 PM (#5609876)
In other people's homes I sometimes do, sometimes don't.

I also usually take my shoes off when going into someone else's place, if I'm staying any length of time.

This summer we're traveling to Amsterdam and Oslo. Landlord of one of the places we're renting reminds us wearing shoes inside is not allowed. Not sure how they enforce that (look for scuff marks and don't return your cleaning deposit?) but hope it means the floors will be clean.
   1679. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:21 PM (#5609877)
Does anyone else have a wife who routinely asks you to call her cell phone because she knows its in her purse but can't find it in the purse without the ringer going off?

Not usually in her purse, but I have to call her a couple times a week to help her find it. Which is kinda weird, because she reads on it, and watches videos, and plays Words with Friends...she is like always using it. How can she not keep track of it?
   1680. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:23 PM (#5609878)
When I enter other peoples homes I usually take off my pants.
   1681. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:29 PM (#5609879)
I have plantar fasciitis and so I do my best to minimize barefoot time,

I was having bad trouble with my feet 7 or 8 years ago.* Every morning, got out of bed, could barely walk my heels hurt so much. Doctor said I was developing pl fas, gave me some stretches to do. No trouble since.**

*Well, I've had bad trouble with my feet--bunion on the right, arthritis on the left--for a lot longer actually.

**Except for the bunion and arthritis.
   1682. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:39 PM (#5609880)
So wait... do flip-flops count as "slippers?"

#AskingForAFriend
   1683. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:43 PM (#5609881)

...#metoo?
   1684. SteveF Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:43 PM (#5609882)

I'm a little surprised you wear pants.

You take them off your legs, right? I don't want to make assumptions.
   1685. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:49 PM (#5609885)
I think this is pretty clearly an age thing. Everyone under about 60 I know takes their shoes off.

***Raises hand.*** Over 60 here. My shoes are off.

I don't order my guests to remove their shoes. I do give them a lot of disapproving looks until dey get wid da program.
   1686. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:50 PM (#5609886)
And now they are using technology to support the Republican party. Congratulations, I guess.
So if you're so certain about something of which you have little evidence, you'll readily acknowledge that, since at least 1972, the Kremlin had been in bed with the Democrats?

What was that? Speak up...
   1687. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:54 PM (#5609887)
What was that? Speak up...
This is all I hear from you.
   1688. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 19, 2018 at 07:55 PM (#5609888)
I'm sure she'd have been happy to have them dig up the truth if it existed (and painted Trump in a bad light),

She should've just called up Howie, he has stories. Woulda been a lot cheaper too, man likes to talk.

NTTAWWT!
   1689. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:00 PM (#5609890)
Libeled Lady has some great lines, but overall Nothing Sacred (which also has Walter Connolly at his best) is a much more interesting and durable movie, and pretty LOL funny, too.

Nothing Sacred is great in every respect, but much as I love Frederic March and the typical stereotyping of small town New England, it can't compete with that perfect all-star cast in Libeled Lady. An in terms of comic acting, March can't compete with Powell, while not even Lombard can top Harlow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: #1670--
You're enjoying the overabundance of talent. The screenplay is all right. It's not the best comedy any of the four made.

Lots of competition from Harlow (Bombshell, Dinner at Eight), lots of great movies from Loy and Powell, and a handful by Tracy, but unless you're counting The Thin Man films as comedies, you're getting almost as extreme in your subjectivity as I am, and in that category I'm even greater than Trump.

It's not even the best comedy made in 1936 by Powell or Loy.

Good God, mon, you is nuts. I hope you're not talking about My Man Godfrey, which has its moments but had way too predictable an ending and way too uplifting a moral. And while After The Thin Man and Wife vs. Secretary are a good way to spend 90 minutes of your life, neither of them are really comedies.

I am prepared to filibuster this board until you agree that MGM's comedies were a notch below. Call it the Shearer Shutdown.

I'm only vaguely aware of which comedies were MGM's, so you can keep your Strom Thurmond suit in mothballs. But if The Women was also made by MGM, then that's two of the best comedies of the 30's right there. So put that in your pipe and smoke it, Mrs. PROWLER.
   1690. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:01 PM (#5609891)
So if you're so certain about something of which you have little evidence, you'll readily acknowledge that, since at least 1972, the Kremlin had been in bed with the Democrats?

20 46 YEARS OF TREASON!!!
   1691. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:11 PM (#5609894)
Just noticed this:
This is my incubator now. ... Richard, you are ugly.
   1692. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:18 PM (#5609895)
So should be available on Netflix next year. Well, we've got enough to keep us busy until then.
   1693. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:22 PM (#5609899)
In lawn mowing news - Neighbor To Plead Guilty In Assault On Senator Rand Paul:
A neighbor of Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has agreed to plead guilty in federal court in a November attack that left the nation’s best-known libertarian with six broken ribs and briefly sidelined him during the debate over the tax overhaul, according to court documents. The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Indiana announced Friday that Rene Boucher, 59, would face a count of assaulting a member of Congress.
. . .
Boucher, who had previously been charged with a misdemeanor in a county court and had pleaded not guilty, denied in an interview with police that there was any political motivation for the assault, according to court documents.
. . .
Federal prosecutors will recommend a sentence of 21 months, according to court papers.

Some time on the prison grounds crew may be coming.
   1694. Greg K Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:22 PM (#5609900)
Just noticed this:
This is my incubator now. ... Richard, you are ugly.

It is a bold move, losing the man who gave us Aviato. But I'm willing to give those guys the benefit of the doubt.
   1695. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:25 PM (#5609902)
Senate is going to vote at 7pm apparently. They got the votes or what? Doesn't seem like it.
   1696. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:38 PM (#5609903)
Any 15 minutes of "My Man Godfrey" is worth more than a double feature of "Libeled Lady" and "The Women." That's just science.

You can cut out everything but three minutes of Mr. Bullock and Carlo and the gravitational verity still stands.
   1697. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:48 PM (#5609904)
Any 15 minutes of "My Man Godfrey" is worth more than a double feature of "Libeled Lady" and "The Women." That's just science.

You can cut out everything but three minutes of Mr. Bullock and Carlo and the gravitational verity still stands.

Now I have to kill you.
   1698. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:55 PM (#5609906)
Senate is going to vote at 7pm apparently.

10:00 PM, actually, EST. Looks like there may be a majority in favor, but not the 60 votes needed to end the Democrats filibuster.
   1699. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 19, 2018 at 08:59 PM (#5609908)
that's two of the best comedies of the 30's right there.

Anything done fast is done wrong, but here are the best dozen film comedies of the 1930s until I remember another one and go "aw crap."
The Awful Truth
The Baker's Wife
Bringing Up Baby
City Lights
Duck Soup
Horse Feathers
Midnight
Modern Times
My Man Godfrey
Nothing Sacred
Stage Door
Trouble in Paradise

#13 would be something like "Ninotchka," or one of the other Marx Brothers movies. If it were possible to extract the best lines and sequences from the ramshackle W.C. Fields, Laurel & Hardy and Mae West movies, they'd be up in that ionosphere instead of in the next dozen.
   1700. Stormy JE Posted: January 19, 2018 at 09:04 PM (#5609909)
.pilF
Page 17 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.