Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 15, 2018

OTP 15 January 2018:Mississippi’s anti-gay marriage law is hurting two college baseball teams

The “stick to sports” mantra took on a life of its own in 2017, as the interweaving of sports and politics was undeniable and, ultimately, angered quite a few sports fans. Still, protests during the national anthem or political tweets by athletes never actually got in the way of the action or stopped games from being played.

But politics have halted a college baseball series between the University of Southern Mississippi and Stony Brook University, a public school in New York. The two schools were scheduled to meet in a three-game series in February, but dueling declarations in each state have now made that series impossible. The kicker? It has absolutely nothing to do with baseball.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 15, 2018 at 03:13 PM | 2103 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college baseball, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 9 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›
   801. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5608368)
Now if only you and JE and Ray weren't still disputing the fact that Trump is a stone racist.....

Take. Your. Zoloft. Please.

You've become über-fixated on this Trump-has-been-a-racist-for-40-years theme and how Ray and I are somehow empowering him. Did it ever occur to you that for 38 1/2 of those years, the media collectively chased him around like a puppy dog? Prior to the birther ####, did you once rail on NBC executives for giving a megaphone for a dozen years or more and the editors at your beloved Gray Lady for giving him so much favorable coverage?

JE, JE.....

The racism of a private citizen only concerns me if he's in a position to hurt people with it, or unless he expresses it to my face.

The racism of the president of the United States---or of an announced candidate for that office---is of a far greater concern.

Hard as it may be for a media-obsessed person like you to believe, before June of 2015 I doubt if I spent 10 full minutes of my entire life reading or thinking about Donald Trump. I generally don't follow loud mouthed celebrities. I'd much rather play pool, read books, or watch Barbara Stanwyck movies. YMMV.

(For future reference, I also don't watch Oprah, though if and when she announces her candidacy I promise to bring myself up to speed.)

You choose to pretend that Trump's not a racist, and I choose to keep citing that as a perfect example of the moral blindness of today's Republican party. You can put me on ignore if you wish, but there's a much easier way to get me to stop with these observations: Just open your eyes and ears and speak the truth about him.

It's not that hard. Gerson can do it. Flake can do it. Why can't you?
   802. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5608372)
And if the border ever is fully secured and those already living here all either legalized or deported, people are going to be mad about their increasing food prices.
Well, until the produce-picking robots are perfected.

Then they'll be happy about their reduced food prices, until the great robot uprising.
   803. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5608373)
JE, JE.....

Literally every word of that inane rant you're responding to (from Jason) is post-hoc rationalization.
   804. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5608374)
(For future reference, I also don't watch Oprah, though if and when she announces her candidacy I promise to bring myself up to speed.)

That's the hilarious part of the initial Oprah over-the-moon yearning, until cooler heads prevailed. To my knowledge she hasn't even so much as announced that she would even _consider_ running.
   805. BrianBrianson Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5608375)
Or, to put it another way, a lawyer was in town on business. She had a business meeting on night 1. She had a different, unrelated business meeting on night 2. On night 3, she went to a dinner party where the client from night 1 was also present. And she somehow managed to not talk about client 2 with client 1.

You're a pretty shitty spy if you're always blabbing to everyone about all your meetings.

Doesn't mean she did, or didn't. But there's some context.
   806. BrianBrianson Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5608377)
Kudos to Andy, but I'm sure he has noted that some of his ideological comrades, here and elsewhere, are still fighting the battle, and besmirching Dr. Jackson in the process.

I'll happily disavow Andy.

It's not besmirching to note that a known liar is not very trustworthy. Dr. Jackson besmirched himself - we're not 5, and he who smelt it may not have dealt it.
   807. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5608378)
JE, JE.....
No longer being content with mere obsession of my opinion on Trump, Andy now misrepresents what I said.

Sad!
   808. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5608379)
Or, to put it another way, a lawyer was in town on business. She had a business meeting on night 1. She had a different, unrelated business meeting on night 2. On night 3, she went to a dinner party where the client from night 1 was also present. And she somehow managed to not talk about client 2 with client 1.

Client 1 is Simpson.

Who is client 2?
   809. PepTech Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:23 PM (#5608383)
That's the hilarious part of the initial Oprah over-the-moon yearning
Please cite examples of "yearning" over a Winfrey candidacy.

It was discussed, and mostly rejected. Some people said she'd be superior to Trump. That's not "yearning" - you and I would both be superior to Trump, and I'm pretty sure no one is yearning for either of us...
   810. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5608384)
If you're talking the fat, smallish "Complete Peanuts" from Fantagraphics, I bought them all through 1974, after which I feel the strip declines. I wasn't going to spend $400 more just to "catch 'em all." I also have all 29 of the Holt Rinehart paperback collections of "Peanuts," as well as a slew of the 60s/70s/80s paperbacks and a few other collections.

For "Krazy Kat," I've got the full run of Eclipse collections, the 1970s Grosset & Dunlap book, the 1970s Nostalgia Press collection, the '90s Abrams book, 3 of the 5 Dutch reprints with early Joost Swarte covers, and a few other things. So when Fantagraphics started releasing their "Krazy and Ignatz" series with the Ware design covers, I only bought the nine that didn't overlap much with what's in those. I'm about the content. I don't think Herriman's dailies are as good.
   811. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5608385)
Ray, #804:
That's the hilarious part of the initial Oprah over-the-moon yearning, until cooler heads prevailed. To my knowledge she hasn't even so much as announced that she would even _consider_ running.

It's Oprah. It's always been Oprah.
   812. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:26 PM (#5608386)
   813. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:28 PM (#5608387)
You're a pretty shitty spy if you're always blabbing to everyone about all your meetings.
No one's saying she was a spy. Her shilling on behalf of the Kremlin was beyond obvious; I mean, come on, one of her clients was the FSB.
   814. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:35 PM (#5608391)
I'm not one but are lawyers, capable, international ones at that -- frequently discussing their clients with other clients? Talk about Occam's razor...seems a good way to lose the trust of your clients.
Veselnitskaya went to the Trump Tower meeting to lobby against Magnitsky, which of course is why she was engaged with Simpson and Fusion GPS, not discuss the tax fraud case against Prevezon pending before the US Court of Appeals.

BTW, have we ever learned why the Obama State Department granted Veselnitskaya humanitarian parole after her visa was denied?
   815. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:35 PM (#5608392)
In related news no one will care about, I'm at 16 out of 26 complete Peanuts editions, and am looking to complete the collection by this Xmas.

I still have the first dozen or so original Peanuts compilations, and about the first 20 of Pogo, but the closet I keep my comic strip related collections in is just about filled to capacity. I do have several of those big Sunday Press collections and that humongous Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend, but my favorites are a bunch of oversized oblong compilations of Sunday strips that came out over 100 years ago, like Little Nemo, Buster Brown, and the Katzenjammer Kids.

But then I'm strictly an amateur. There's a former customer friend of mine who literally has a house full of every conceivable comic strip and comic book anthology, plus New Yorker books and many hundreds of original comic / political / sports cartoons. He had to build an addition to be able to shelve it all. It's the biggest and best single subject collection of books I've ever seen in my life, and I've looked at many thousands of private libraries.

Obviously this man is single.

I yearn for a complete printed Doonesbury, but it sorta seems like that won't happen.

I got a giant Doonesbury retrospective book when it was remaindered a few years ago, but although I'm still kind of a fan of Trudeau, of the current strips I'm more of a fan of The Knight Life and Pearls Before Swine. Pastis's Sunday strips are just about the only way I can take puns as a form of humor, but some of them are beyond sublime.
   816. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:40 PM (#5608395)
JE, JE.....

No longer being content with mere obsession of my opinion on Trump, Andy now misrepresents what I said.

Sad!

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but I know one thing I haven't misrepresented: It's what you haven't said about Trump. He'd have to put on a KKK robe and call Tim Scott a nigger for you to finally get around to stating the obvious.
   817. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5608400)
That's the hilarious part of the initial Oprah over-the-moon yearning

I understand that you have the social integration and general reading skills of a bad Asimov robot character, but seriously, this never happened except in your fever addled noodle brain, Ray.
   818. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:50 PM (#5608401)
Sad!

Yes. Your devolution in hyperspeed has been.
   819. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5608402)
For "Krazy Kat," I've got the full run of Eclipse collections, the 1970s Grosset & Dunlap book, the 1970s Nostalgia Press collection, the '90s Abrams book, 3 of the 5 Dutch reprints with early Joost Swarte covers, and a few other things. So when Fantagraphics started releasing their "Krazy and Ignatz" series with the Ware design covers, I only bought the nine that didn't overlap much with what's in those. I'm about the content. I don't think Herriman's dailies are as good.

I pretty much agree with that, and also except for that great Sunday Press edition, the reduced size of the Sunday strips in the other compilations is somewhat offputting.

Best Krazy Kat strip ever: The one where Santa Claus and Joe Stork roll the dice on Mrs. Kat's roof to see which one of them gets to deliver the little bundle of Krazy.

Joe Stork: "Refuse 'im, bones, refuse 'at man"

Santa: "Come, dice, listen to my soft Southern voice, and favor me sweet"
   820. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5608403)
BTW, have we ever learned why the Obama State Department granted Veselnitskaya humanitarian parole after her visa was denied?

Kenyan Muslim Deep State Conspiracy.
   821. BrianBrianson Posted: January 17, 2018 at 05:59 PM (#5608406)
It's a high score, a tremendous score, no president has ever had such a high score.

How could that be besmirching?
   822. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 06:05 PM (#5608407)
Aaron Blake:
Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.) says he opposes short-term CR without DACA included
Heinrich had backed the previous short-term CR; now it's DACA or shutdown.
   823. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 17, 2018 at 06:06 PM (#5608408)
Probably all those Bush holdovers, career State Department employees, members of the Deep State, treasonously working to discredit the sitting President by doing Putin's bidding.

Seriously, given that DHS says she received a standard B-series visa in June 2016, my guess is that she filled out a standard form DS-160, paid the $160 fee, scheduled an interview with at the embassy in Moscow, waited 100 days for an appointment, attended the appointment, forgot to tell the interviewer that she was going to try to influence the presidential election, got the visa, etc.

Makes sense given that she last used the "immigration parole" in February 2016, and first used the B-series visa in June 2016, a little over 100 days later. March to June is about 100 days, the advertised B-series visa appointment wait period in Moscow.
   824. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 06:10 PM (#5608409)
Associated Press:
Steve Bannon’s attorney relayed questions, in real time, to the White House during a House Intelligence Committee interview of the former Trump chief strategist, people familiar with the closed-door session told The Associated Press.

As lawmakers probed Bannon’s time working for President Donald Trump, Bannon’s attorney Bill Burck was asking the White House counsel’s office by phone during the Tuesday session whether his client could answer the questions. He was told by that office not to discuss his work on the transition or in the White House.

It’s unclear who Burck was communicating with in the White House. He is also representing top White House lawyer Don McGahn in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into contacts between the Trump campaign and Russia.

Tuesday’s conversations were confirmed by a White House official and a second person familiar with Bannon’s interview. They spoke only on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

At the White House, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed the questions were relayed over the phone and said it was a typical process.
That's probably why the Associated Press led a story with it; because it's typical.

Also:
Michael Dorf, a constitutional law professor at Cornell University, said that while traditionally Congress has required a formal assertion of executive privilege in order for a witness to refuse to answer a question, more recently “we’ve seen people just not answer questions without asserting privilege.”

“It’s kind of a game of separation-of-powers chicken that’s going on there,” he said. “Because nobody knows the full scope of executive privilege — other than that it’s not absolute from the Nixon case — no one really wants to push it.”
   825. McCoy Posted: January 17, 2018 at 06:16 PM (#5608411)
I look forward to all these companies handing out these windfall bonuses annually for the rest of their existence
   826. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 06:17 PM (#5608412)
Probably all those Bush holdovers, career State Department employees, members of the Deep State, treasonously working to discredit the sitting President by doing Putin's bidding.

Seriously, given that DHS says she received a standard B-series visa in June 2016, my guess is that she filled out a standard form DS-160, paid the $160 fee, scheduled an interview with at the embassy in Moscow, waited 100 days for an appointment, attended the appointment, forgot to tell the interviewer that she was going to try to influence the presidential election, got the visa, etc.

Makes sense given that she last used the "immigration parole" in February 2016, and first used the B-series visa in June 2016, a little over 100 days later. March to June is about 100 days, the advertised B-series visa appointment wait period in Moscow.
The Reuters link I provided was from this past November, months after the one you cited.

FTA:
Veselnitskaya, however, wasn’t admitted into the U.S. in June 2016 because of her role in the Prevezon case. In fact, then U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara of Manhattan specifically refused Veselnitskaya’s request that the Justice Department authorize her trip via a mechanism known as immigration parole, which allows the attorney general to temporarily suspend immigration requirements on a case-by-case basis.

Bharara’s office has recommended immigration paroles for Veselnitskaya on three occasions, when her client, Katsyv, was being deposed in the U.S. in the Prevezon case. But in March 2016, Bharara’s office said no. In a letter to Prevezon’s U.S. lawyers, prosecutors said such paroles aren’t appropriate for foreign lawyers asking to help U.S. counsel prepare for appellate arguments or to attend appellate proceedings. “Since neither Katsyv nor Veselnitskaya are required to appear as witnesses in person at this stage of proceedings, we do not believe that immigration parole is appropriate,” the since-fired U.S. attorney wrote.

Nevertheless, three months later, Veselnitskaya not only attended oral arguments in the Prevezon case but also traveled uptown to meet with Trump campaign officials.

Veselnitskaya obtained a visa from the State Department to enter the country in June 2016, according to a government filing last week. The filing, which came in response to a new request by Veselnitskaya to be allowed into the U.S. for a Nov. 9 hearing in the now-settled Prevezon case, cited a Fox News report from last July.

The Manhattan U.S. attorney’s office did not disclose in the filing whether it independently confirmed that the State Department issued a visa to Veselnitskaya to allow to her attend the 2nd Circuit argument in June 2016. The prosecutor leading the Prevezon case, assistant U.S. attorney Paul Monteleoni, referred me to a spokesman, who said the office could not supply additional public information on Veselnitskaya’s reported visa.

A State Department spokesman declined to comment in response to my email request for comment on whether it approved a visa for Veselnitskaya in June 2016. John Moscow of Baker Hostetler, who was Prevezon’s lawyer when the Justice Department denied Veselnitskaya’s 2016 request for immigration parole, was subsequently disqualified from the case by the 2nd Circuit because of a client conflict. He did not respond to my phone message asking about Veselnitskaya’s visa.

On Friday, U.S. District Judge William Pauley refused to order the Justice Department to grant a new immigration parole to Veselnitskaya, who wants to attend a hearing Thursday on whether Prevezon has breached an agreement to pay about $6 million to the U.S. in the forfeiture case.
It would be nice to learn why the previous administration went out of its way to overrule the US Attorney.
   827. Lassus Posted: January 17, 2018 at 06:24 PM (#5608414)
If you're talking the fat, smallish "Complete Peanuts" from Fantagraphics, I bought them all through 1974, after which I feel the strip declines.

Only 5 years to Bloom County! Long years, I'm sure.

I understand this view, and there certainly is decline (I put it later, '82 or so) but the gems are still the gems and worth having the entirety IMO. Also, again, OCD, so. And I'm a bit of a Fantagraphics fanboy as well. Speaking of...

Here's the thing. I'm not even an over-the-moon fan of Herriman and Krazy Kat. But those collections are SO gorgeous and the work in them - even if I don't especially love it - is SO important that I want to have it and hand it down, I want it to have a place. I'm not even a real, TRUE bibliophile like Andy's comic-strip dude, who I'm pretty jealous of even second-hand, but it's in things like the Herriman that it manifests.
   828. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 17, 2018 at 06:25 PM (#5608415)

So, Natalia Veselnitskaya is a Russian operative when she meets with the Trump Campaign, but is just an attorney in her far more extensive interactions with Fusion GPS? Interesting.
   829. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5608422)
If you're talking the fat, smallish "Complete Peanuts" from Fantagraphics, I bought them all through 1974, after which I feel the strip declines.

I understand this view, and there certainly is decline (I put it later, '83 or so) but the gems are still the gems and worth having the entirety IMO.

I do not say "Peanuts" falls off the table with a thud after Nixon resigns. I think it starts to wane more or less around 1974-75, and never quite stops dwindling. It's also not as if the strip ever turned to crap. "Sliding" from the greatest strip ever lets you do a long, long slide. The oddest lesser late-period material tends to provide some level of interest, if only due to residual affection and admiration. I even find Schulz' shaky hand touching.

Plus, I forgot to mention the real main reason I compiled an incomplete "Complete Peanuts" set: I already have plenty of later Peanuts. "Peanuts" was always heavily reprinted, and the reprint gaps in the strip became fewer. Most of all, the unseen material from the 1950s and 1960s is about 700 billion times more intriguing than any "lost" strip of Rerun on a bicycle or Spike in the desert.

Other strips I have a lot of include Segar's "Popeye," the forgotten but great "Herman," "Li'l Abner," "For Better Or For Worse," "Mutts," and "Doonesbury" until it became unnecessary.
   830. Traderdave Posted: January 17, 2018 at 06:48 PM (#5608423)
   831. Lassus Posted: January 17, 2018 at 07:16 PM (#5608429)
"For Better Or For Worse,"

This is a little surprising.

Mutts

As I'm sure has come up before, I find the art in Mutts to be A+ and the writing a D. It's frustrating.

and "Doonesbury" until it became unnecessary.

I doubt I would have the same opinion of when this was; Doonesbury I lost when the daily papers really stopped for me. It makes me sad, and I hate wondering what I've missed.

832. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 07:20 PM (#5608430)
Another unacceptable attack on free speech and religious liberty:
On the eve of their September 2017 nuptials, Stephen Heasley and Andrew Borg were appalled at what they found inside their box of wedding programs.

Instead of the cream, floral edged pamphlets they had ordered from major boutique printer Vistaprint, the couple found fiery anti-gay literature.

“Satan knows our flesh is weak. He preys upon our weaknesses to tempt us to sin. Satan can only influence us to want to sin. He cannot make us sin,” the homophobic pamphlets titled “Understanding Temptation: Fight the good fight of the faith" read. “Satan entices your flesh with evil desires.”

...Scrambling to order replacements ahead of their ceremony and reception for 100-plus guests, Heasley, 31, and Borg, 39, only recently took legal action against Vistaprint. On Jan. 16, the newlyweds filed a case in the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts, where the printer is based, further claiming emotional pain and breach of contract. ...The newlyweds have since hired representation from law firms in New York and Boston, seeking an award for damages and trial by jury, Yahoo reports.
   833. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 17, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5608435)
Sitting down to catch up on the afternoon’s posts, I’m reminded of that deepest of philosophical questions.

What makes a man go cockholster? Is it a weakness of spirit, an emptiness waiting to be filled at the first sign of aggressive bombast, no matter how empty? Is it a learned response to being confronted with incontrovertible evidence of their own inadequacy? Is it a mystery that can ever be answered?

Juan never knows, do juan?
   834. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 07:32 PM (#5608439)
"Mutts" I like for the art and design, as well as the weeks where a theme is set up and then played out with six minimalist gags, sometimes as brief as one word. McDonnell also does some very funny and/or cute parody panels for his Sunday strips.

"For Better Or For Worse" is a strong slice-of-life strip with very good art and a pretty good batting average for punchlines (as is the 1950s to 1970s "Blondie," "Andy Capp," "Dennis the Menace," and some others).

In both cases, I got to the point where each new book was just more of the same and thus I drifted away from buying them. But even if neither is an all-time brilliant strip, I can't pretend I didn't like them well enough.

Forgot to mention "Dennis" as a strip I have a bunch of, namely the old paperback collections when Dennis was less of a scamp and more of a criminal. Also "Calvin & Hobbes," "The Far Side," and "Eyebeam." And I may have to update my update if I remember more.
   835. Lassus Posted: January 17, 2018 at 07:41 PM (#5608442)
Also "Calvin & Hobbes," "The Far Side,"

A couple of complete collections I also have my eyes on.

The first 30 years of Blondie are amazing, now THERE's a strip that fell off the table. Or at least Chic Young did, into his grave. I was legitimately astounded when I got a hold of the Smithsonian Collection at 14 or so and saw what that strip used to be, after reading Dean's Brian Herbert treatment of it growing up.
   836. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 17, 2018 at 07:43 PM (#5608444)
Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.) says he opposes short-term CR without DACA included

Heinrich had backed the previous short-term CR; now it's DACA or shutdown.

Sucks to be you.

You've got enough votes to pass something on your own and there are almost definitely enough purple Ds to get past a filibuster on any truly reasonable bill... plus there's your "good shutdown" President who promises to take the heat and sign whatever he's sent one day, shitholing the next.

Stop blaming everyone but your own party for your incompetence and ridiculousness. Grow up and take some responsibility. It will be good for you - not everyone can live life as an eternally spoiled adolescent, like your President.
   837. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 07:47 PM (#5608447)
"Blondie"s design, with those full-body, full-frame figures, is not easy to do, let alone do as well as they did it. The strip's quality outlasted Chic Young's life, but only by a few years.
   838. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: January 17, 2018 at 07:55 PM (#5608450)
"Li'l Abner,"

When I was maybe 14 I came across a used paperback of The World of Li'l Abner (the one with a foreword by John Steinbeck). It was a revelation ... those strips were sooooo much better than what Capp was turning out at the time (early '70s). A few years later I bought my then-father-in-law the first volume of whatever TPB-sized compendium would've been current in the early '80s. I've since lost not only my first copy of World but also another one I came across a few years after that.

Have long meant to start acquiring reprint collections; maybe this post will finally motivate me to do so.
   839. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:07 PM (#5608457)
So, Natalia Veselnitskaya is a Russian operative when she meets with the Trump Campaign, but is just an attorney in her far more extensive interactions with Fusion GPS? Interesting.
At this point, Adam Schiff will take what he can get.
   840. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:08 PM (#5608458)
Sucks to be you.

You've got enough votes to pass something on your own and there are almost definitely enough purple Ds to get past a filibuster on any truly reasonable bill... plus there's your "good shutdown" President who promises to take the heat and sign whatever he's sent one day, shitholing the next.

Stop blaming everyone but your own party for your incompetence and ridiculousness. Grow up and take some responsibility. It will be good for you - not everyone can live life as an eternally spoiled adolescent, like your President.
LOL. Where were you hiding in 2013?
   841. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:14 PM (#5608461)
LOL. Where were you in 2013?

Dealing with a party whose nutjobs thought controlling one chamber of congress thought it entitled them to get everything they want.

If you can't recognize the differences between then and I now, I lack the time, patience, and above all - any real concern - to help you.

Your shitshow ########. You fix it.

For the time being, I'd rather just enjoy watching how Republicans govern. Polls say the American public, not so much... but that would be another YP.
   842. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:18 PM (#5608462)
If you can't recognize the differences between then and I now, I lack the time, patience, and above all - any real concern - to help you.
Once more, the principal difference is that the GOP leadership and most of the rank and file was opposed to Cruz's antics, while today your side is initiating this nonsense.
Your shitshow ########. You fix it.
Oh, puh-leeze. You folks would be pulling most of the same two-bit stunts with Rubio that you're doing with Trump.
   843. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:24 PM (#5608465)
Once more, the principal difference is that the GOP leadership and most of the rank and file was opposed to Cruz's antics, while today your side is initiating this nonsense.

Ha, yes... making him such a pariah that he finished second... to DF Trump... for the following Presidential nomination.

Oh, puh-leeze. You folks would be pulling most of the same two-bit stunts with Rubio that you're doing with Trump.

Learn from the masters.

I'm sorry holding the House, the Senate, the Presidency, and all those state legislatures and governor's mansions hasn't turned into the nirvana you might have hoped.
   844. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:24 PM (#5608466)
I'm shocked (SHOCKED!) neither zonkie nor Mousie posted this link from Andy's beloved Gray Lady...

Poll Finds Upturn in Sentiment on Tax Overhaul and Economy:
The tax overhaul that Mr. Trump signed into law just before Christmas remains relatively unpopular and highly polarizing, according to a new poll conducted for The New York Times by SurveyMonkey. But support for the law has grown significantly over the past month, and more Americans believe that they will receive a tax cut. Forty-six percent of Americans strongly or somewhat approved of the law in early January, up from 37 percent when the bill was nearing passage in December.

At the same time, falling unemployment, accelerating economic growth and a surging stock market have made Americans increasingly positive about both their own finances and the overall economy. That could be good news for Republicans hoping to overcome Mr. Trump’s unpopularity in the midterm elections.

Michael Moran, a recently retired business executive in Georgia, said the economy in his town an hour north of Atlanta was “red hot.” The job market is so tight, he said, that he can’t even find an electrical contractor to perform repairs on his house.

“There’s help-wanted ads everywhere — you see them on all the stores,” Mr. Moran said. “In 2010, you could’ve just yelled out the door and had people lining up.”

Over all, 42 percent of Americans believe the national economy is better than it was a year ago, according to the Times survey, which polled 10,509 adults in the first week of January. Only 23 percent believe the economy has gotten worse. And a broader measure of consumer confidence, which combines five questions on economic and financial conditions into a single index, rose significantly in January after remaining flat for most of 2017.
I doubt this will have much impact on the midterm election wave but, if nothing else, it will quiet those who dismissed the law as little more than a giveaway to the ultra-rich.
   845. Count Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:25 PM (#5608467)
Is the idea that Fusion GPS worked with Russians acting on behalf of the Russian government to create a fake dossier? Why would they have to work with Russians?
   846. zenbitz Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:25 PM (#5608468)
Hillary -- who everyone knew had been running a rogue, unsecured server with US secrets on it

Weren't you in therapy? Up the voltage.
   847. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:28 PM (#5608470)
Dealing with a party whose nutjobs thought controlling one chamber of congress thought it entitled them to get everything they want.

Interesting that so many who vociferously opposed the party that controlled The People's House asserting its policy preferences through appropriations legislation back then, now defend a minority of the less representative Chamber shutting down the government's funding over their own policy preferences. If not for their double standards, they might not have any standards at all.
   848. BDC Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:33 PM (#5608472)
"For Better Or For Worse" is a strong slice-of-life strip with very good art

I was at the art museum in Fredericton, NB the summer before last, where they had a large exhibition devoted to Lynn Johnston and For Better or For Worse. It was never among my favorite comics, but the exhibit was pretty interesting: the Johnston archive is substantial, and she has given lots of interviews about the process of creating the comic. I guess she is the most successful Canadian comic-strip creator, at least I can't think of a more famous one.
   849. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:34 PM (#5608473)
Is the idea that Fusion GPS worked with Russians acting on behalf of the Russian government to create a fake dossier? Why would they have to work with Russians?
Not saying that's what happened but come on, when shopping the dossier to the Bureau -- or media outlets, for that matter -- Simpson or Steele would have needed to demonstrate that contact had been made with Russian sources.
   850. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:35 PM (#5608474)
Interesting that so many who vociferously opposed the party that controlled The People's House asserting its policy preferences through appropriations legislation back then, now defend a minority of the less representative Chamber shutting down the government's funding over their own policy preferences. If not for their double standards, they might not have any standards at all.

A trumpkin using the word 'standards' is like a dog in heat using a pretty stuffed animal... mildly amusing in a select few contexts, but ultimately just one part ridiculous, one part disgusting.
   851. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:39 PM (#5608476)
Kelly's resignation in the mail?
Great story, except the two sources are Democrats, so actually it's not a great story.
   852. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:43 PM (#5608480)
I'm sorry holding the House, the Senate, the Presidency, and all those state legislatures and governor's mansions hasn't turned into the nirvana you might have hoped.

The most since the Peloponnesian War! And yet they still seem so cranky and unfulfilled...
   853. Laser Man Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:49 PM (#5608483)
Great story, except the two sources are Democrats, so actually it's not a great story.
Looks like Kelly said the same thing in tonight's interview on Fox News - Kelly on Trump's Wall - Fox
   854. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:53 PM (#5608488)
I'm not even a real, TRUE bibliophile like Andy's comic-strip dude, who I'm pretty jealous of even second-hand, but it's in things like the Herriman that it manifests.

If you're ever in the area, he loves to show off his collection to fellow aficionados. He's also edited a pair of books, Drawing Power: A Compendium of Cartoon Advertising; and Cartoons for Victory, for which Bob Dole wrote the introduction. They're both terrific, but I kind of like the first one even better, since it's got the full page color version of the (in)famous Babe Ruth Feen-a-Mint chewing gum laxative ad----aimed at children. And I wasn't exaggerating when I said I've never seen any private collection on any subject with this depth, quality and condition. He didn't get this stuff from garage sales or thrift shops, and in fact a fair amount of it came from buying artists' estates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first 30 years of Blondie are amazing, now THERE's a strip that fell off the table. Or at least Chic Young did, into his grave. I was legitimately astounded when I got a hold of the Smithsonian Collection at 14 or so and saw what that strip used to be, after reading Dean's Brian Herbert treatment of it growing up.

Blondie still has its moments today, though sure, when she was a gold digger and Dagwood was a society guy it was a completely different strip. But then there were plenty of strips before (even) I was born that are light years above 90% of today's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mutts" I like for the art and design, as well as the weeks where a theme is set up and then played out with six minimalist gags, sometimes as brief as one word. McDonnell also does some very funny and/or cute parody panels for his Sunday strips.

Mutts can be very good, but when he goes on his endless days of talking about animal shelters and dog pounds I quickly go to the next strip.

"For Better Or For Worse" is a strong slice-of-life strip with very good art and a pretty good batting average for punchlines (as is the 1950s to 1970s "Blondie," "Andy Capp," "Dennis the Menace," and some others).

Did you ever see the parody that Lio's artist did of For Better or For Worse? Lio is always introducing characters from other strips into his own, but that one was so perfect a lampoon that I was surprised the Post didn't pull it. Lio's kind of a one trick pony strip, but it's still pretty good, and I love his clueless dad.

In both cases, I got to the point where each new book was just more of the same and thus I drifted away from buying them.

Yeah, and the ones you mentioned aren't the only ones that are much better in small doses than big ones. My favorite daily strips these days are probably Pearls Before Swine and Big Nate!, but I think I'm enjoying them more on a once a day basis than I would be if I swallowed them in big helpings.

When I was maybe 14 I came across a used paperback of The World of Li'l Abner (the one with a foreword by John Steinbeck). It was a revelation ... those strips were sooooo much better than what Capp was turning out at the time (early '70s). A few years later I bought my then-father-in-law the first volume of whatever TPB-sized compendium would've been current in the early '80s. I've since lost not only my first copy of World but also another one I came across a few years after that.

Al Capp, like Walt Disney (or the Walt Disney Company), was once the darling of intellectuals with Li'l Abner, Fearless Fosdick (my favorite), and an assortment of side characters that almost rivaled The Simpsons. But when the 60's came along, I don't know any other way to put it: He just turned into a sour old fart, a meanspirted shadow of his former self, with humor about as cutting as Mallard Fillmore or Prickly City.

But God, up through the 50's Li'l Abner was sublime, and Fearless Fosdick, a strip within a strip, was even better.
   855. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:54 PM (#5608489)
Donald Trump ends the crippling suspense on Twitter:
And the FAKE NEWS winners are... [link to website]

And that website says:
404 Error
Don't worry, we're making it great again. Start here.

The NY Daily News tweets, "...which is definitely not a metaphor."
   856. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 17, 2018 at 08:58 PM (#5608492)
I thought the WH was going to start taping everything so the lying media couldn't get away with lying about the things the WH said in private just because they sound like a bazillion things said in public?
   857. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:00 PM (#5608494)
Kelly on Trump's Wall - Fox
Asked about Trump’s famous pledge that Mexico would pay for the wall, Kelly said: “In one way or another, it's possible that we could get the revenue from Mexico but not directly from their government.”

Or he could just tell his hotels to place billboard ads all along the wall and have them claim it as a tax deduction.
   858. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:01 PM (#5608496)
Looks like Kelly said the same thing in tonight's interview on Fox News - Kelly on Trump's Wall - Fox
Indeed and thanks for sharing.
   859. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:02 PM (#5608497)
   860. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:06 PM (#5608502)

Its supposed to be a link to an RNC fundraiser and gimme your contact info poll.... I hope they fix their bandwith problem - and for their sake, learn to add a little non-bot protection to the page...

Henry J. Gomez
‏Verified account @HenryJGomez
31m31 minutes ago

Source close to the RNC tells me: "The RNC has become the dumpster for misplaced #### that’s too crazy for the actual White House."

861. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:11 PM (#5608505)
It's important that a brand new awards show get it branding ducks in a row early - you don't want to stuck with people calling them "globies" or something.

So - in the grand debate between "Fakies" and "Trumpies"... I think I prefer Fakies, FTR.
   862. Srul Itza Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:13 PM (#5608508)
Mutts can be very good, but when he goes on his endless days of talking about animal shelters and dog pounds I quickly go to the next strip. . .

because I have neither a heart nor a soul.

Finished the thought for you.
   863. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:13 PM (#5608509)
Where was this Mouse? I have played disc golf on golf courses that have the fly 18 teepads also, but, and they had carts (i walked), but, never at a disc only course.

One course I have played (Ranked #10 in the nation) VisionQuest, and I have heard they also do that at the Selah Ranch courses - Lakeside #2 and Creekside #6; but I have never played them (I want to though).

The vast majority of DG courses don't do that though.

I got hit in the head by a disc I didn't see coming, and needed multiple stitches - actually staples. Who knew those things were hard and had edges?

<raises hand>

Yeah, those bad boys can hurt.
   864. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:21 PM (#5608514)
I guess Trump is just like Stalin except for that whole killing people thing.

Wonder if Jeff Flake has figured that out yet.
   865. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:32 PM (#5608518)

Yet another aspect in which he’s clearly inferior to Hillary Clinton.
   866. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:33 PM (#5608519)

Wonder if Jeff Flake has figured that out yet.

Trolly troll Omega Dancing Monkey misrepresents a Senator who dares to criticize the Omega Dancing Monkey's hero.

And Trump Jr tweeted with the hashtag #trumpderangementsyndrome. I'd link to it but virgin boy Ray would come on his keyboard.
   867. Morty Causa Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:44 PM (#5608523)
I think early B.C. was a great strip. Smart, even intellectual at times.

868. Shredder Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:45 PM (#5608524)
Site's back up. They're basically an opinion piece (Krugman) which isn't news at all, and a bunch of articles that were retracted after the publishers found that they had made mistakes. Kind of sad, really. The lamestream media is really gonna have to work harder next year.
   869. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:51 PM (#5608526)
I doubt this will have much impact on the midterm election wave but, if nothing else, it will quiet those who dismissed the law as little more than a giveaway to the ultra-rich.

No, because it was in fact mostly just a giveaway to the ultra-rich.
   870. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:56 PM (#5608529)

No, because it was in fact mostly just a giveaway to the ultra-rich.
Obligatory: letting people keep their own money is not giving things away to them.
   871. Zonk, Bearer of Responsibility Posted: January 17, 2018 at 09:57 PM (#5608530)
Watching the It's Always Sunny episode Reynolds v. Reynolds; Frank citing his donkeybrains certificate, Mac convinces the gang there's no evolution because science #######, etc - I cannot help but think how well the whole episode works as a Trump thought bubble on any given decision.
   872. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 17, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5608531)
Site's back up.

Not for me:

https://gop.com/the-highly-anticipated-2017-fake-news-awards/

<Error>
<Code>NoSuchBucket</Code>
<Message>The specified bucket does not exist</Message>
<BucketName>gop.com</BucketName>
<RequestId>5EDC5FC8A6E83DF5</RequestId>
<HostId>
wc+tLC3sKx5Pw4idksJCiecA3iqbHskTL+8w4HFFO97VRbxy5n6EybwgOlGjzV6FVMeuwmRxQhE=
</HostId>
</Error>
   873. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 17, 2018 at 10:06 PM (#5608533)

For a while, Mell Lazarus's Momma was even better. My favorite comic strip nuclear family ever.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mutts can be very good, but when he goes on his endless days of talking about animal shelters and dog pounds I quickly go to the next strip. . .

because I have neither a heart nor a soul.

Finished the thought for you.

Well, my all time favorite TV show is Seinfeld. What can I say?

If he preached about pet adoptions during National Pet Adoption Week it'd be one thing, but he does it for a week about every other month. Too much of a nice thing.
   874. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 17, 2018 at 10:11 PM (#5608535)
The Fake News winners::
1) The New York Times’ Paul Krugman claiming markets would ‘never’ recover from Trump presidency

2) ABC News' Brian Ross’ bungled report on former national security adviser Michael Flynn

3) CNN report that the Trump campaign had early access to hacked documents from WikiLeaks

4) TIME report that Trump removed a bust of Martin Luther King, Jr. from the Oval Office

5) The Washington Post’s Dave Weigel tweeting that Trump’s December rally in Pensacola, Florida, wasn’t packed with supporters

6) CNN’s video suggesting Trump overfed fish during visit with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe

7) CNN’s retracted report claiming Anthony Scaramucci-Russia ties

8) Newsweek report that Polish First Lady Agata Kornhauser-Duda did not shake Trump’s hand

9) CNN report that former FBI Director James Comey would dispute President Trump’s claim he was told he was not under investigation

10) The New York Times report that the Trump administration had hidden a climate-change study

11) In Trump’s words, "‘RUSSIA COLLUSION!’ Russian collusion is perhaps the greatest hoax perpetrated on the American people. THERE IS NO COLLUSION!”

No mention of the OTP Election Night thread? Lots of Krugmanesque stuff there.
   875. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: January 17, 2018 at 10:15 PM (#5608536)
No mention of the OTP Election Night thread? Lots of Krugmanesque stuff there.
Opinions aren't fake, Creepy.
   876. Morty Causa Posted: January 17, 2018 at 10:27 PM (#5608541)
For a while, Mell Lazarus's Momma was even better. My favorite comic strip nuclear family ever.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before, but one of the favorite funny novels of my youth--along the lines of Max Shulman--was Lazarus's The Boss is Crazy, Too. Through the years, and even recently, I've periodically re-read the thing and enjoy it immensely. It's about a comic book artist and the head (the boss) of the cheap pulp magazine publishing enterprise who have from late summer until the end of the year to bankrupt the concern so the boss is not found out as an embezzler and sent to jail. The stuff about crediting and publishing comic books and pulps, as well as the mores it embodies, is quite dated now, but that just makes it more enjoyable. Like all comedy farces, much of the pleasure derives from the supporting characters.
   877. Stormy JE Posted: January 17, 2018 at 10:29 PM (#5608543)
3) CNN report that the Trump campaign had early access to hacked documents from WikiLeaks
A couple of months have elapsed and CNN still hasn't explained how supposedly two different sources made the exact same mistake. Which reminds me, is the network still claiming that Anderson Cooper's Twitter account got hacked?
   878. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 17, 2018 at 10:35 PM (#5608545)
The Fake News winners::

I suppose someone could compile a list of the Fake News stories and comments that Trump & Co. have floated in the past 362 days,** but it'd probably crash the underfinanced BTF website.

** Here's one. Here's another.
   879. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 17, 2018 at 10:46 PM (#5608547)
lol so failed predictions are "fake news"? I need to go read some Taleb.
   880. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 10:59 PM (#5608552)
Blondie still has its moments today, though sure, when she was a gold digger and Dagwood was a society guy it was a completely different strip.

I'm not won over by Young's original gold digger/flapper strips (at least what I've seen of them), nor of "Blondie" as it's moldered for these past decades. But in between, I like the middle period very much, and especially once the line got sleeker and more streamlined in the 1950s. Not quite ligne claire, but a recognizable cousin. "Blondie" found its milieu and form in the 1930s/40s, but it clicked in the 50s.

In both cases, I got to the point where each new book was just more of the same and thus I drifted away from buying them.

Yeah, and the ones you mentioned aren't the only ones that are much better in small doses than big ones. My favorite daily strips these days are probably Pearls Before Swine and Big Nate!, but I think I'm enjoying them more on a once a day basis than I would be if I swallowed them in big helpings.

While the humor strips can get repetitive, the adventure strips have it even worse: Panel One reminds the reader where everyone was yesterday, Panel Two is where something happens, and Panel Three is the "don't touch that dial" reaction to Panel Two. Worked great in a daily newspaper, but lurches like a pegleg with a hitch step in book form. Something like "Dick Tracy" was dynamic, but the energy sputters when you read it the way it was never, ever meant to be read: in sequence, for 240 pages.

Al Capp, ...when the 60's came along, I don't know any other way to put it: He just turned into a sour old fart, a meanspirted shadow of his former self, with humor about as cutting as Mallard Fillmore or Prickly City.

Comedically, Capp's reaction wasn't a bad idea: turning his satiric venom towards the peace movement and the hippie generation. I think the reason the last 15-20 years of "Li'l Abner" was so oppressively bilious and unfunny isn't because he made the mistake of "switching sides," but simply because Capp had lost his mojo.

It's not the rarest fate for humorists. As I said above, later Charles Schulz himself couldn't touch Charles Schulz's 20-year peak. Harvey Kurtzman didn't do anything notable after about 1962. Bill Watterson and Gary Larson may have had the right idea.

Ditto. By the 1970s it had devolved to daffy-nitions and such, and at the end it spun out into bizarre Christian proselytizing, but the first decade was really terrific.

For a while, Mell Lazarus's Momma was even better.

Lazarus must beyond ripe for an in-depth collection, since he always had a great reputation among his fellow cartoonists. Maybe more for "Miss Peach" than for "Momma." Alas, I never saw anything by him that was amusing. I assume I must have missed his heyday.
   881. Morty Causa Posted: January 17, 2018 at 11:11 PM (#5608555)
Comedically, Capp's reaction wasn't a bad idea: turning his satiric venom towards the peace movement and the hippie generation. I think the reason the last 15-20 years of "Li'l Abner" was so oppressively bilious and unfunny isn't because he made the mistake of "switching sides," but simply because Capp had lost his mojo.

Never been much more than a casual reader/viewer of comic strips, but, yeah, I thought the early years of his "turn" still had their moments, like the Joanie-Phoanie segment (remember "Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything?"--that had to hurt). He quickly lost it, though, and the visual representation of that is his sweaty silly rant to a preternaturally blasé John Lennon at that bed-in.
   882. Morty Causa Posted: January 17, 2018 at 11:15 PM (#5608556)
Lazarus must beyond ripe for an in-depth collection, since he always had a great reputation among his fellow cartoonists. Maybe more for "Miss Peach" than for "Momma." Alas, I never saw anything by him that was amusing. I assume I must have missed his heyday.

His comedy is spot-on in The Boss is Crazy, Too. If that little comic novel isn't unique, it's the apex of something or other.
   883. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 17, 2018 at 11:21 PM (#5608557)

While the humor strips can get repetitive, the adventure strips have it even worse

Purely for grins, I'd love to see a collection of Judge Parker during the time it transitioned from a middle class judge with an Ozzie & Harriet family into the er, unusual family that's being depicted today.

And one day I'd love to see a collection of Mark Trail strips consisting of nothing but the days in which he started a fist fight with a villain who had a gun, and somehow lived to tell the tale. By this time it'd be a big book.

When I was the same age as Momma's son Francis, circa 1966-68, that was Momma's sweet spot. Without getting to stereotypical about it, that was the quintessential stereotyped "Jewish" family, and it was based on Lazurus's own family while he was growing up. The funny thing is that while he based Momma on his own mother, his mother told him that she thought Momma was based on her sister Nellie. Another funny part about that strip was that the only reference to Momma's late husband was a photo of him that looked like it was from the 1890's, wearing one of those Connie Mack looking starched shirt collars, even though the strip was set in the present.
   884. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 17, 2018 at 11:25 PM (#5608558)
Never been much more than a casual reader/viewer of comic strips, but, yeah, I thought the early years of his "turn" still had their moments, like the Joanie-Phoanie segment (remember "Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything?"--that had to hurt). He quickly lost it, though, and the visual representation of that is his sweaty silly rant to a preternaturally blasé John Lennon at that bed-in.

That S.W.I.N.E. bit wasn't all that bad, but "Joanie Phoanie" wasn't parody as much as it was just a big loud gas pass from Capp's rear end. Good parody is never so transparent,** and it was around that time that his bile overtook his bite.

** For a current left wing counterpart, check out the cringeworthy "humor" from The Nib. With the exception of the Tom Tommorrow strips that they re-post, their stuff is on the level of Mallard Fillmore and Prickly City.
   885. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 17, 2018 at 11:36 PM (#5608559)
Stalin. Lol. Jeff is a Flake.
   886. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 11:50 PM (#5608562)
Stormy Daniels on her lover Donald Trump: “He told me once that I was someone to be reckoned with, beautiful, smart, just like his daughter.”
   887. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 18, 2018 at 12:22 AM (#5608565)
Re: the devastating Fakey Awards revealed in #874--
That time someone said I overfed some fish? Those terrible three hours when somebody might have believed that a Trump rally was only half-full? When they said somebody didn't shake my hand, but they totally DID shake my hand?

Any deranged Trump-hating liberal could have come up with a tougher list than this. Anyway, doesn't Trump have a government to keep solvent 48 hours from now?
   888. PepTech Posted: January 18, 2018 at 12:53 AM (#5608568)
Fusco Brothers. *That* was some weird stuff.

Of the current crop, I have a soft spot for Sherman's Lagoon.
   889. DJS, the Digital Dandy Posted: January 18, 2018 at 03:39 AM (#5608573)
If Trump is going to be this lazy with nicknames (Flakey?) he should just go whole hog and give people bewildering nasty nicknames that make no sense and refuse to explain why.

"I'm tired of listening to Cinnamon-Sugar Dick Durbin and Weed Farts Pelosi!"
   890. DJS, the Digital Dandy Posted: January 18, 2018 at 03:42 AM (#5608574)
Adam Schiff needs to change his name, every time I see it I expect to see Steven Hill grumbling at Sam Waterston to make the deal.
   891. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 18, 2018 at 06:41 AM (#5608576)
So at 9:21 p.m., Ray is so outraged by a reference to Stalin about his hero that he feels the need to post an empty comment that shows he doesn't actually know what Flake said. Ray then stews and stews and stews and gets madder and madder, and at 11:36 he feels the need to post again to express his anger. How many more times do we think Ray will do this?

(FTR, Flake didn't compare Trump to Stalin. Here was the reference to Stalin:¹
Mr. President, it is a testament to the condition of our democracy that our own president uses words infamously spoken by Josef Stalin to describe his enemies. It bears noting that so fraught with malice was the phrase "enemy of the people," that even Nikita Khrushchev forbade its use, telling the Soviet Communist Party that the phrase had been introduced by Stalin for the purpose of "annihilating such individuals" who disagreed with the supreme leader.
"You said the same thing that some bad person said" is not equating you and that bad person.)

¹Assuming we can trust FakeNewsCNN to accurately quote Flake's speech.
   892. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 18, 2018 at 06:44 AM (#5608577)

Now, it may have been a tactical error for Flake to mention Stalin, in that now Trumpistas like Ray can just say, "LOL Trump isn't as bad as Stalin so I can ignore what Flake said." On the other hand, if Flake hadn't mentioned Stalin, it's likely that the speech would've passed by unnoticed, so maybe it wasn't a mistake at all.
   893. Ishmael Posted: January 18, 2018 at 07:10 AM (#5608579)
Kudos to Andy, but I'm sure he has noted that some of his ideological comrades, here and elsewhere, are still fighting the battle, and besmirching Dr. Jackson in the process.

Yankee Clapper, I think I remember that you too have noted that there is a long history of politicians being less than candid about any health problems they might have, and having no trouble getting medical professionals to assist such efforts.
   894. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 18, 2018 at 07:20 AM (#5608583)
You know who’s really like Stalin? Everyone who questions Donald Trump’s cognitive prowess. I thought we went over that.
   895. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 18, 2018 at 08:05 AM (#5608587)
You know who’s really like Stalin? Everyone who questions Donald Trump’s cognitive prowess. I thought we went over that.
Dersh, is that you?
   896. Lassus Posted: January 18, 2018 at 08:05 AM (#5608588)
Adam Schiff needs to change his name, every time I see it I expect to see Steven Hill grumbling at Sam Waterston to make the deal.

Yes. I've basically turned him into that guy anyhow, when his name comes up.
   897. Lassus Posted: January 18, 2018 at 08:08 AM (#5608589)
Of the current crop, I have a soft spot for Sherman's Lagoon.

Absolutely. Excellent dry humor.
   898. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: January 18, 2018 at 08:25 AM (#5608591)
One course I have played (Ranked #10 in the nation) VisionQuest, and I have heard they also do that at the Selah Ranch courses - Lakeside #2 and Creekside #6; but I have never played them (I want to though).

If you are ever in the Cincinnati area Mouse, and have time for a round or 2, let me know. In the area, we have:

8. Idlewild

Best course in Ohio:

Mt. Airy

899. Traderdave Posted: January 18, 2018 at 08:49 AM (#5608592)
If you are ever in the Cincinnati area Mouse, and have time for a round or 2, let me know. In the area, we have:

8. Idlewild

Best course in Ohio:

Mt. Airy

Growing up, I played about a million rounds at Winton Woods because it was closest to home. By the time I finished high school I knew every twig & root on that course. Brings back memories...
   900. Greg K Posted: January 18, 2018 at 08:50 AM (#5608593)
"Flakey" is a far more obnoxious utterance than "enemy of the state".

Unless he was promoting the Will Smith/Gene Hackman film. Which would obviously be an impeachable offence.
Page 9 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Stormy JE
for his generous support.