Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 15, 2017

OTP 15 May 2017: A sport dominated by politics

And that would be … cricket – what were you expecting?

Tanya Alfred draws our attention to the world-threatening problem of climate change — which more than 97 per cent of climate scientists agree on’ — and bemoans the lack of a strategy from the English Cricket Board (ECB) for how cricket is organised today and its lack of preparation for the future.
In 2016, for instance, the Indian Premier League was forced to relocate matches from Maharashtra because of a water shortage. Bangladesh is threatened by extreme river floods, rising sea levels and high temperatures.
Zimbabwe has uncertain precipitation patterns, as does the southern part of Australia, while England is predicted to get more rainfall.

Does MLB have a climate-change contingency plan? I am sure Rob Manfred would consider it.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

BDC Posted: May 15, 2017 at 08:43 AM | 2684 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: cricket, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 24 of 27 pages ‹ First  < 22 23 24 25 26 >  Last ›
   2301. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:03 PM (#5459639)
Obama was treated worse than Trump? Really? Should we ask Gonfalon if this qualifies as comedy?

You're right, because people have been calling for Trump to be lynched. Prominent politicians are questioning where Trump was born.Prominent politicians are questioning Trump's religion. Yeah, he's been treated much worse than Obama was - with the inference that he's a terrorist.

I don't recall anyone posting here calling for Obama to be lynched, or any of the other above examples. On the other hand, we've had several entirely speculative stream of consciousness OTP posts noting Trump once had some money woes, and something, something, maybe, could have happened, who knows, and thus he's the Manchurian Candidate! Or Hitler, we shouldn't forget that one, either.
   2302. Ray (RDP) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:03 PM (#5459640)
OK. What has happened to Trump that approaches any of these?

We can start with calling him Hitler and work down from there.

Oh, wait -- the Hitler thing already ends the inquiry.

2303. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:05 PM (#5459642)
Well, in fairness to our great unfairness to Trump, it wasn't clear at the time that he was such a special snowflake in need of a safe space.

To the SJW-mobile!
   2304. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:06 PM (#5459645)
OK. What has happened to Trump that approaches any of these?

Because calling someone names, even the worst name imaginable>>>saying someone should be lynched. OK.
   2305. John Shade has yet to hear the Squeak Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:09 PM (#5459646)

Yeah, I'm sure no conservative ever compared Obama to Hitler, right?
   2306. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:10 PM (#5459648)
I don't recall anyone posting here calling for Obama to be lynched, or any of the other above examples.
Here's YC, again changing the argument. Because when Trump complained about being treated unfairly, he was talking about what posters on a baseball board were saying.

Here's Trump himself, almost 4 years after Obama was elected:
An 'extremely credible source' has called my office and told me that @BarackObama's birth certificate is a fraud.
   2307. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:11 PM (#5459649)
Obama was treated worse than Trump? Really? Should we ask Gonfalon if this qualifies as comedy?

You're right, because people have been calling for Trump to be lynched.

Prominent politicians are questioning where Trump was born.

Prominent politicians are questioning Trump's religion - with the inference that he's a terrorist..

Yeah, he's been treated much worse than Obama was.

Listing a bunch of things that happened to Obama while ignoring the things that have happened to Trump almost all completely of his own doing isn't actually a serious answer.

FIFY

It is indeed revealing of your mindset, though.

Yeah, Trump's problems are all due to the way he's been "treated". Just like Nixon's. On a crying towel scale you and your client are off the charts.
   2308. Count Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:12 PM (#5459650)
Trump has definitely been treated worse by "the press" (not including Fox News and the conservative rags) than Obama, because Trump is an idiotic racist demagogue who lies constantly and also attacks the press constantly. Also, most of the press is liberal.

edit: should clarify that "treated worse" does not mean "treated unfairly"
   2309. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:12 PM (#5459651)

Yeesh, people have forgotten Glenn Beck's chalkboards already?

I shouldn't pick on Beck, though - despite TGF's wrongness

Look, your problem is that your side hates everybody who's not on their team

I happily and readily welcome anyone opposed to Trump for whatever reason. The goal is to be rid of him. That takes numbers. I'm not interested in checking IDs or resumes.
   2310. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:13 PM (#5459653)
I don't recall anyone posting here calling for Obama to be lynched, or any of the other above examples. On the other hand, we've had several entirely speculative stream of consciousness OTP posts noting Trump once had some money woes, and something, something, maybe, could have happened, who knows, and thus he's the Manchurian Candidate! Or Hitler, we shouldn't forget that one, either.

I'm sorry. When Trump said he's been treated worse than any politician ever while giving a speech at a service academy, you think he meant on an off topic thread on a baseball message board?
   2311. Count Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:13 PM (#5459654)

kind of a funny coincidence that trump loudly obstructed justice into the investigation into collusion with russia
   2312. JJ1986 Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:14 PM (#5459655)
George w. Bush was called Hitler a lot more than Trump has been.
   2313. Ray (RDP) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:15 PM (#5459656)
I'm sorry. When Trump said he's been treated worse than any politician ever while giving a speech at a service academy, you think he meant on an off topic thread on a baseball message board?

It makes sense to read his comment as treatment by the media, by politicians, by Hollywood, by journalists.

It's funny to see the left deny he's been treated worse, though. I guess wallowing in delusion is better than lashing out by telling homophobic jokes, so there's that.
   2314. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:17 PM (#5459657)

If you want to go down the road of comparing comments on various message boards as part of being treated badly, I am 100% confidant that Obama's treatment will come out orders of magnitude worse.
   2315. BrianBrianson Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:17 PM (#5459658)
If someone in DJT's current administration was involved, then it was someone from outside the party. So someone like Bannon, Miller, or maybe Kushner.

On the one hand, this is very reasonable and likely.

On the other hand, we live in very unreasonably and unlikely times.

Also, as an anonymous jackass on the internet, isn't it more fun to speculate that it's, say, Sessions and Pence? C'mon, it's friday afternoon and I've got some homebrew that's not going to drink itself! Basically everyone is acting dirty as hell, so it's not impossible. I have Mattis (and if you count her, Haley) as definitely clean, but I'm up for at least wondering about everyone else. Okay, I'm pretty convinced Zinke is clean too.
   2316. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:18 PM (#5459659)
   2317. Ray (RDP) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:19 PM (#5459660)
If you want to go down the road of comparing comments on various message boards as part of being treated badly,

I don't. It makes sense to read his comment as treatment by the media, by politicians, by Hollywood, by journalists.
   2318. John Shade has yet to hear the Squeak Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:22 PM (#5459661)
On the one hand, this is very reasonable and likely.

On the other hand, we live in very unreasonably and unlikely times.

Also, as an anonymous jackass on the internet, isn't it more fun to speculate that it's, say, Sessions and Pence? C'mon, it's friday afternoon and I've got some homebrew that's not going to drink itself! Basically everyone is acting dirty as hell, so it's not impossible. I have Mattis (and if you count her, Haley) as definitely clean, but I'm up for at least wondering about everyone else.
If "senior White House adviser" is referring to the formal title then I think it's narrowed down to Miller or Kushner, but the article could be using it more broadly than that. Kushner makes a lot of sense, though.
   2319. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:22 PM (#5459662)
It makes sense to read his comment as treatment by the media, by politicians, by Hollywood, by journalists.

Really, here's his exact quote, posted at the top of this page:

I don't recall anyone posting here calling for Obama to be lynched, or any of the other above examples.

Unless my assumption about what "here" is, is wrong, he's clearly talking about this message board.
   2320. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:23 PM (#5459663)

Is it now being claimed that BBTF-OTP exists in a vacuum and isn't representative of this great nation? Shocking! Does anyone need reminding that Greg K gets all his news from OTP?

in any event, in discussing how politicians have been treated, it seems fair to note what the left (mostly) does here, unless everyone wishes to concede that they are an outlier whose opinions should be disregarded across the board.
   2321. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:24 PM (#5459664)
Ray's definition of "treated badly" clearly includes those mean old people who keep quoting what Trump actually says, not what his spinmeisters claim he really means.
   2322. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:25 PM (#5459665)
Also, as an anonymous jackass on the internet, isn't it more fun to speculate that it's, say, Sessions and Pence? C'mon, it's friday afternoon and I've got some homebrew that's not going to drink itself! Basically everyone is acting dirty as hell, so it's not impossible. I have Mattis (and if you count her, Haley) as definitely clean, but I'm up for at least wondering about everyone else. Okay, I'm pretty convinced Zinke is clean too.

It would have to be someone involved in the financials of the campaign. So, based on what we know about the inner workings of the Trump campaign, that would seem to exclude Pence or Sessions. I don't even know that Conway is particularly likely, given that she was more involved with communications/policy than financials.

Also, the WaPost report said "a senior adviser... close to" Trump. That would seem to mean that the person is a staffer, not the VP or a cabinet member.

I can't think of anyone from the campaign that is still at the White House who was involved in the financials other than Bannon and Kushner.

EDIT: Coke to John Shade
   2323. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:28 PM (#5459666)
I don't. It makes sense to read his comment as treatment by the media, by politicians, by Hollywood, by journalists.

Ted Nugent has called Obama "a piece of sh1t", a "subhuman mongrel", and "a chimpanzee"

I'm making dinner right now, but I'm sure if I had time, I could find many more offensive and worse comments from other media, politicians, and hollywood.
   2324. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:30 PM (#5459667)
Sure, but Obama was usually the Anti-Christ, not Hitler.

Bushitler OTOH managed and even thrived despite the moniker, at least until he didn't.
   2325. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:32 PM (#5459668)

Is it now being claimed that BBTF-OTP exists in a vacuum and isn't representative of this great nation? Shocking! Does anyone need reminding that Greg K gets all his news from OTP?

Hmmmmm, and do Breitbart and Limbaugh and FOX News and a zillion other wingnut media outlets exist in a vacuum? Or are they now granted legitimacy because so many people agree with their fantasies? Do you seriously want to compare the level of fact-free invective directed Obama by them to what Trump's had to endure in the MSM?

Note that the operative words there are "fact free". Trump's gotten worse press from the MSM than Obama ever did, but in Trump's case it's almost exclusively based on what Trump's actually said and done. The right wing media noise machine has never been under any such constraints, which is naturally why they've all gravitated to someone like Trump: He's one of their own.
   2326. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:33 PM (#5459670)
Boy, I just bet Donald's "big foreign trip" is just gonna go swell!

Trump’s tumultuous last two weeks—from firing his FBI director to allegedly sharing highly classified information with Russian officials even as a formidable special counsel was being named to investigate his campaign team’s possible collusion with the Kremlin—has them still confused about his foreign policy. But now they are more appalled than afraid of the man with whom they have no choice but to partner.

Many I spoke with said they had made a fundamental mistake of viewing Trump primarily as an ideologue with whom they disagreed rather than what he increasingly appears to be: an ill-prepared newcomer to the world stage, with uninformed views and a largely untested team that will now be sorely tried by a 9-day, 5-stop world tour that would be wildly ambitious even for a seasoned global leader.

“People are less worried than they were six weeks ago, less afraid,” a senior German government official with extensive experience in the United States told me. “Now they see the clownish nature.” Or, as another German said on the sidelines of a meeting here devoted to taking stock of 70 years of U.S.-German relations, “People here think Trump is a laughingstock.”

The dominant reaction to Trump right now is mockery,” Jacob Heilbrunn, the editor of the conservative journal the National Interest, told the meeting at the German Foreign Office here while moderating a panel on Trump’s foreign policy that dealt heavily on the difficulty of divining an actual policy amid the spectacle. Heilbrunn, whose publication hosted Trump’s inaugural foreign policy speech in Washington during last year’s campaign, used the ‘L’ word too. “The Trump administration is becoming an international laughingstock.” Michael Werz, a German expert from the liberal U.S. think tank Center for American Progress, agreed, adding he was struck by “how rapidly the American brand is depreciating over the last 20 weeks.”

When European diplomats meet these days, they often swap stories about Trump—and how to manage their volatile new ally. “The president of the United States has a 12-second attention span,” NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg told a former senior official in April after meeting Trump in the Oval Office. Not only that, this person told me, the president seemed unprepared and ill-informed, turning the conversation to North Korea and apparently unaware that NATO is not a part of the ongoing North Korea saga.

Such anecdotes have shaped how Europe’s anxious leaders are preparing for Trump’s trip this week – he will come to Brussels for a NATO session on Thursday—and for another one planned for early July, when he visits Germany for a G-20 summit at which he is expected to meet Putin face to face for the first time.

Some of the reported preparations for the NATO session in Brussels this week suggest just how much the volatile-clown theory of the American president has now taken hold.

NATO has downgraded the May 25 session to a meeting from a summit and will hold only a dinner to minimize the chances of a Trump eruption. Leaders have been told to hold normally windy remarks to just two to four minutes to keep Trump’s attention. They are even preparing to consider a “deliverable” to Trump of having NATO officially join the U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State in Syria, as Trump has said his priority is getting NATO to do more in combating terrorism. “It’s a phony deliverable to give to Trump, a Twitter deliverable,” said a former senior U.S. official, pointing out that the individual NATO member states are already members of that coalition.

Politico

But hey, in these troubled times, anyone who can bring the gift of laughter to the world is doing God's work!
   2327. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:35 PM (#5459672)
Robert Mueller, the newly appointed special counsel in the investigation into Russia, will likely ask the multiple congressional investigations to curtail their public hearings in order to proceed with his own investigation, according to a Thursday New York Times report.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein appointed Mueller Wednesday night, about a week after Trump abruptly fired FBI Director James Comey.

Bye, bye, hysteria.
   2328. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:36 PM (#5459673)

Elaine Chao is sort of the boring "no harm" pick... Pity she's actually excluded from the line of succession.
   2329. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:39 PM (#5459675)
WASHINGTON - Adolf Hitler has turned up in the US presidential race.

On Friday, the campaign of the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, US Senator John Kerry, lambasted US President George W. Bush for incorporating into an anti- Kerry campaign video portions of an ad posted by a liberal advocacy group, which likened Bush to Hitler.

The Bush-Hitler comparison was part of an ad posted months ago on the Web site Moveon.org, an Internet advocacy group that is not affiliated with Kerry but is working for his election.

Moveon.org held a contest for advertisements about Bush and posted many of them on the Web site, including the Bush-Hitler ad.

The Bush campaign video, being broadcast on its site, www.GeorgeWBush.com, is titled the "Coalition of the Wild- Eyed."

It strings together clips of an angry former vice president Al Gore, screaming, "How dare they drag the good name of the United States of America through the mud of Saddam Hussein's torture prison." Kerry is shown using an expletive.

Former Democratic presidential hopeful Howard Dean shouts, "I want my country back."

Hitler images are interspersed twice. Third Reich war crimes are likened to Bush's foreign policy.
"Bush = Hitler" actually used as a tool against John Kerry. I don't even know who the victim is there.
   2330. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:40 PM (#5459677)
People like you and Trump and Manafort and Flynn who are on the Russian payroll may not want to admit it, but Russia is our enemy.

Actually, they're our ally in a war.

But that aside, let's assume they were our enemy. Trump, by virtue of his office, would still have virtually plenary authority to try to make them not our enemy.(*) He could fire any FBI director who, in his judgment, threatened that effort.

(*) He wouldn't be able to appropriate money toward that effort, of course.
   2331. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:41 PM (#5459678)
"Bush = Hitler" actually used as a tool against John Kerry. I don't even know who the victim is there.

Kerry's fault for not being a special snowflake who needs a safe space.
   2332. Kiko Sakata Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:44 PM (#5459680)
I'm sure no conservative ever compared Obama to Hitler, right?

To be fair, when I was younger, it was considered de rigeur to insult conservatives by comparing them to fascists and to insult liberals by comparing them to communists.
   2333. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:46 PM (#5459682)
Media

Politician

Hollywood

Journalist

2334. BDC Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:47 PM (#5459683)
I guess the warrant from a lot of defenders is that Obama was more corrupt and incompetent from day one, but liberal media bias obscured the fact, whereas they're Trumping up all kinds of phony charges against the Donald.

Whatever. I'll just note again that Obama faced a hostile House for six years and Senate for two, and had FOX News and allies on his case for more than eight, and suspicion of him never got to the level that Trump has achieved in four months, including suspicion from quite a few perspectives in his own party.

It's a remarkable achievement, and it's not an illusion at all. And maybe DT will do yet another housecleaning and settle down and things will run smoothly for a while, but I'm not holding my breath.
   2335. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:51 PM (#5459684)
Even if Trump has been treated so terribly*, he comes across as a whiny bitch. Obama did not whine 1/10 as much in his whole 8 years administration than Trump has this week. Sheesh, what a baby. Politics ain't beanbag, grow a pair.

* Which by the way I am skeptical about. Clearly it wounds Trump more than it did Obama, but I don't know that it is even possible to prove it one way or another.
   2336. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:54 PM (#5459686)
No president has ever been subjected to the level of fake news pumped out over the last few months by the Times and Post as Donald Trump. Second highest is the Washington Generals' Under-8 Youth Team as against Trump's Harlem Globetrotters. The Times and Post have given up all pretense of objective journalism, confirmation of stories, sane headlines, and balance to try to illegitimize Trump.

There's a good chance that when all is said and done, the Comey memo story is going to wind up in the fake or mostly-fake news bucket. Their credibility on RUSSIA! RUSSIA! is effectively nil.
   2337. Count Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:55 PM (#5459687)
Trump has a way of getting himself into situations that Obama never did. For example, Obama never fired the person in charge of an investigation into whether his campaign colluded with Russia, initially (and comically) lied about his reasons for the firing, then told the truth in an interview with Lester Holt and in an oval office meeting with Russian officials, in which he also divulged highly sensitive classified information.
   2338. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:56 PM (#5459688)
Ray replying, #2281:
Obviously he has been (at least as compared any presidential candidate in my memory)

As to the last question, at this point you would be wise to do so (even though you don't genuinely believe your own plaintive bleatings of "homophobia," and are just repeating it out of stubbornness, past the point where even the websites you discovered it on have given up). So it's not that. You should check with me because of the time that you decided there had only been seven good comedy shows in the history of U.S. television.

As for the first question, a lot depends on how you define "worse." Does "worse" mean "more steadily," in which case Trump would be up there? Or does "worse" mean "without justification," in which case...
   2339. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:58 PM (#5459689)
I guess the warrant from a lot of defenders is that Obama was more corrupt and incompetent from day one, but liberal media bias obscured the fact, whereas they're Trumping up all kinds of phony charges against the Donald.

I don't at all agree that Obama was corrupt and incompetent -- that's absurd -- but there isn't a single bad RUSSIA! RUSSIA! fact alleged against Trump by a named source. Not one. And, as I've outlined, several anonymously-sourced stories and insinuations have numerous on-the-record sources completely contradicting them. The one person who's actually put his name on something relevant -- the story about Comey not wanting to hug Trump, etc., made Comey sound like a power-hungry loon.

This could all change, of course, but that's where it stands today.
   2340. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:59 PM (#5459690)
IOWA - A billboard created by a conservative Iowa political group comparing President Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler and Vladimir Lenin is being condemned by other activists. The North Iowa Tea Party began displaying the sign in Mason City last week.

The sign includes photos of Obama, Nazi leader Hitler and communist leader Lenin with the statement: "Radical leaders prey on the fearful & naive."

North Iowa Tea Party co-founder Bob Johnson says the sign highlights what the group argues is Obama's support for socialism. He says the pictures might be overwhelming the intended message.
Ya think?
   2341. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:00 PM (#5459691)
Just because this sort of thing never gets old... seen on Facebook:
Lead story right now (3 PM):
CNN: Trump and Russians
MSNBC: Trump and Russians
Fox News: Dam repairs
   2342. Count Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:04 PM (#5459693)
What SBB and Ray et al seem to be suggesting is that the negative coverage of Trump is unfair, which is (largely) not true. The separate point that the "media" (and "Hollywood" or whatever else bothers people who apparently went from coal mining to patent law and live in the UWS) really, really dislikes Trump, and wants to see him go down, is true, and is in contrast to Obama. Obviously it's easier to just attack the media as biased than to substantively respond to criticism.
   2343. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:05 PM (#5459694)
CNN: Trump and Russians
MSNBC: Trump and Russians
Fox News: Dam repairs

It's going to be interesting to see how/if FNC evolves over the next few months. I linked to a story a few days ago that their demo ratings are down considerably since the Comey firing. Their rightwing leanings are as much driven by the bottom line as it is an editorial decision. At some point, the market may force them to cover the DJT investigations more intensely.
   2344. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:07 PM (#5459695)
Comey doesn't strike me to be a nutjob. You may disagree.

Trump proves himself to be a bigger ####### than the day before every day.
   2345. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:09 PM (#5459698)
Apparently, CNN says WH lawyers are researching impeachment procedures "out of an abundance of caution".
   2346. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:12 PM (#5459699)
the negative coverage of Trump is unfair, which is (largely) not true.

Every president aside from possibly Washington felt that they were not being treated fairly by the media during their presidency.
   2347. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:12 PM (#5459700)
Apparently, CNN says WH lawyers are researching impeachment procedures "out of an abundance of caution".

Well, it's prudent, even if impeachment is unlikely. Moreover, why are they leaking that? The leak is the bigger story, and speaks volumes about the morale in the West Wing. And no SBB, it's not illegal.
   2348. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:14 PM (#5459701)
Ted Nugent has called Obama "a piece of sh1t", a "subhuman mongrel", and "a chimpanzee"

Well he just got invited to the White House, so those comments couldn't have been too untoward.

This guy seems like a typical hippie.
   2349. Ray (RDP) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:14 PM (#5459703)
What SBB and Ray et al seem to be suggesting is that the negative coverage of Trump is unfair, which is (largely) not true.

Trump brings much of it on himself. The remaining portion - which is sizeable -- is so utterly shrill in tone that the answer to this difficult "question" is Trump without a doubt.

The separate point that the "media" (and "Hollywood" or whatever else bothers people who apparently went from coal mining to patent law and live in the UWS) really, really dislikes Trump, and wants to see him go down, is true, and is in contrast to Obama. Obviously it's easier to just attack the media as biased than to substantively respond to criticism.

People aren't substantively responding to the criticism? I get labeled a Trump supporter because of it.
   2350. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:16 PM (#5459704)
I get it, Ray. You're a Trump defender. Big difference. (If you say so.)
   2351. Count Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:19 PM (#5459705)
People aren't substantively responding to the criticism? I get labeled a Trump supporter because of it.

I mean it's easier to just attack the media (or say your opponents are being shrill or hypocritical) instead of substantively respond to criticism about Trump. This is the classic anti-anti-Trump ploy.
   2352. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:20 PM (#5459708)
Man, the victory laps when this guy goes down are going to CUH-RAY-ZEE!
   2353. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:23 PM (#5459709)
Well, it's prudent, even if impeachment is unlikely. Moreover, why are they leaking that? The leak is the bigger story, and speaks volumes about the morale in the West Wing.

Bingo.

Presumably this research is being done in the White House Counsel's Office and that knowledge of their work would not widely known. Even one of the senior officials (Bannon, Preibus, Kushner) would (or at least should) have limited knowledge of what the counsel staff is working on. If DJT has a leak from the Counsel's Office, then he's got a huge f'ing problem.

It's quite possible that when it's all said and done, the Trump staffer deemed most incompetent and responsible for not protecting DJT will be Don McGahn.
   2354. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:23 PM (#5459710)
   2355. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:37 PM (#5459717)

If it is anything but after losing in 2020 (or not running then), then not from me. I find the whole thing a bit sad and think it reflects poorly on my nation. Oh well, I guess I will be relieved though.
   2356. Traderdave Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:40 PM (#5459719)

If it is anything but after losing in 2020 (or not running then), then not from me. I find the whole thing a bit sad and think it reflects poorly on my nation. Oh well, I guess I will be relieved though.

Electing such a sorry excuse for a human being reflects far, far more poorly on the nation than a victory lap ever could.
   2357. zack Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:45 PM (#5459720)
A national grave dance would at least push those who are going to follow the Trump mold (except maybe competently) back by 4-8 years.
   2358. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:47 PM (#5459722)

2327. SBB, Live from the Alt-Center Posted: May 19, 2017 at 05:35 PM (#5459672)

Robert Mueller, the newly appointed special counsel in the investigation into Russia, will likely ask the multiple congressional investigations to curtail their public hearings in order to proceed with his own investigation, according to a Thursday New York Times report.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein appointed Mueller Wednesday night, about a week after Trump abruptly fired FBI Director James Comey.

Bye, bye, hysteria.

Comey WILL testify in open hearing next week...

I'm tellin' Sugar Buns.... god seems to have it in for you at the moment.
   2359. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:49 PM (#5459723)

It was designed as an impregnable deep-freeze to protect the world’s most precious seeds from any global disaster and ensure humanity’s food supply forever. But the Global Seed Vault, buried in a mountain deep inside the Arctic circle, has been breached after global warming produced extraordinary temperatures over the winter, sending meltwater gushing into the entrance tunnel.

The vault is on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen and contains almost a million packets of seeds, each a variety of an important food crop. When it was opened in 2008, the deep permafrost through which the vault was sunk was expected to provide “failsafe” protection against “the challenge of natural or man-made disasters”.

But soaring temperatures in the Arctic at the end of the world’s hottest ever recorded year led to melting and heavy rain, when light snow should have been falling. “It was not in our plans to think that the permafrost would not be there and that it would experience extreme weather like that,” said Hege Njaa Aschim, from the Norwegian government, which owns the vault.

“A lot of water went into the start of the tunnel and then it froze to ice, so it was like a glacier when you went in,” she told the Guardian. Fortunately, the meltwater did not reach the vault itself, the ice has been hacked out, and the precious seeds remain safe for now at the required storage temperature of -18C.

Link
   2360. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: May 19, 2017 at 06:57 PM (#5459724)
Ha!

Oh not next week -- after the Memorial Day recess.

Hysteri-on-and-on-and-on-a!
   2361. Ray (RDP) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:03 PM (#5459727)

One can't take a victory lap after one has already lost.

2362. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:09 PM (#5459728)
Seems to be all but confirmed that the "senior White House Adviser" is Jared...
   2363. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:13 PM (#5459731)
One can't take a victory lap after one has already lost.

Sure you can. His removal/resignation from office is a yuge win for the country.
   2364. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:16 PM (#5459735)

Source?
   2365. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:27 PM (#5459738)
Vox -- Vox! -- helps delineate the key epicenters of Trump Derangement Syndrome -- Headline: "Democrats are Falling for Fake News About Russia"

President Donald Trump is about to resign as a result of the Russia scandal. Bernie Sanders and Sean Hannity are Russian agents. The Russians have paid off House Oversight Chair Jason Chaffetz to the tune of $10 million, using Trump as a go-between. Paul Ryan is a traitor for refusing to investigate Trump’s Russia ties. Libertarian heroine Ayn Rand was a secret Russian agent charged with discrediting the American conservative movement.

These are all claims you can find made on a new and growing sector of the internet that functions as a fake news bubble for liberals, something I’ve dubbed the Russiasphere. The mirror image of Breitbart and InfoWars on the right, it focuses nearly exclusively on real and imagined connections between Trump and Russia. The tone is breathless: full of unnamed intelligence sources, certainty that Trump will soon be imprisoned, and fever dream factual assertions that no reputable media outlet has managed to confirm.

Twitter is the Russiasphere’s native habitat. Louise Mensch, a former right-wing British parliamentarian and romance novelist, spreads the newest, punchiest, and often most unfounded Russia gossip to her 283,000 followers on Twitter. Mensch is backed up by a handful of allies, including former NSA spook John Schindler (226,000 followers) and DC-area photographer Claude Taylor (159,000 followers).

There’s also a handful of websites, like Palmer Report, that seem devoted nearly exclusively to spreading bizarre assertions like the theory that Ryan and Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell funneled Russian money to Trump — a story that spread widely among the site’s 70,000 Facebook fans.

Beyond the numbers, the unfounded left-wing claims, like those on the right, are already seeping into the mainstream discourse. In March, the New York Times published an op-ed by Mensch instructing members of Congress as to how they should proceed with the Russia investigation (“I have some relevant experience,” she wrote). Two months prior to that, Mensch had penned a lengthy letter to Vladimir Putin titled “Dear Mr. Putin, Let’s Play Chess” — in which she claims to have discovered that Edward Snowden was part of a years-in-the-making Russian plot to discredit Hillary Clinton.

I think we can now tell where some of our more ... cough ... engaged expatriate commentators spend their time. He's certainly not alone; there have to be hundreds of thousands of loons out there who just spend hours upon hours marinating in this claptrap. I'm sure this scenario has played out across the nation's various message boards over and over and over again:

1. Leftist goes to leftist loon website; ingests fake news and fake analysis premised on fake news
2. Leftist goes to more mainstream message board; offers up theories and analysis based on time spent reading leftist loon website
3. Sane centrist replies to leftist, "That theory is ridiculous for sane reasons a, b, c, and d.
4. Leftist calls sane centrist some permutation of "Trumpista" or "cockholster."
   2366. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:36 PM (#5459740)
So, question for the Trumpkins. The first people who were told about Trump's reasons for firing the FBI Director was not the US Congress, not the US people, not his staff, not even the VPOTUS, but the Russian ambassador and TASS. In the ####### Oval office with US press barred. How the #### is that putting America first?
   2367. Lassus Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:42 PM (#5459741)
Trump said he'd been treated worse than "any politician in history", not "any presidential candidate in recent memory". Hell, I don't think Trump had anyone chanting at his appearances he was a father of a bastard child, even, if he was going for the latter.
   2368. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:43 PM (#5459742)
Trump turmoil is spreading far beyond Washington to state and local races

With a near-daily string of new scandals and unfavorable headlines — including this week’s news of a special prosecutor to examine possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia — a growing number of Republicans across the country are watching dispiritedly as Democrats become further energized to turn out their voters in 2018, potentially tipping not only congressional contests but state and local races down the ballot.

“There were a lot of things that were promised to be done, and we’re just getting a lot of noise out of Washington,” said Marc Rotterman, a longtime Republican consultant in North Carolina who was a Trump supporter ahead of last year’s election. “It seems it’s Russia 24-7. When you’re reacting and defending, you’re not moving on your agenda. You’re not fixing day-to-day problems for average Americans.”

2369. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:50 PM (#5459744)
Oh, I didn't realize that by "treated badly," you/Trump meant "talked about on an off-topic thread on a baseball website."

EDIT: Misirlou. Coke.
   2370. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:50 PM (#5459745)
The first people who were told about Trump's reasons for firing the FBI Director was not the US Congress, not the US people, not his staff, not even the VPOTUS, but the Russian ambassador and TASS. In the ####### Oval office with US press barred. How the #### is that putting America first?

There are a number of reasons for the firing, which Trump and his subordinates have offered in a number of different rhetorical ways.

And you have your timeline wrong. The Deputy AG memo and the firing predated the Russian meeting.

See, the problem here is that most or all of the usual suspects either spend a lot of time on loony leftist websites, or spend a lot of time following every single word and minutia of Trumpiana on friendly media outlets. So they then have no context for the things they process and the echo chamber effect convinces them that something completely proper and not remotely head-scratching is somehow terrible and awful.

The post here demonstrates it. Bad timeline, blithe assumption that press invitees mean something of import when literally no one other than the truly committed gives a single ####. I mean, who ####### cares about the identity of the credentialed press for a presidential meeting with an ambassador? Did any leftist, prior to Trump, ever care in the slightest bit about such a thing? I don't remember, at any time before May 10, ever hearing from any source that such a thing mattered in the least. But the leftist echo chamber has convinced the participants that

Plus the sort of macho, gloating way Trump went about describing the firing, which we can rest assured drives wide swaths of leftists absolutely batty. To see someone like Trump exercise the powers of his office and then gloat about it and call the vanquished, a card-carrying member of the Washington establishment, a "nut job" -- he is -- hits the committed leftist to the depths of his political mitochondria. This remains the fundamental problem -- the leftists have not reconciled themselves to the fact that Donald Trump possesses the powers and prerogatives of the US president.
   2371. Lassus Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:53 PM (#5459746)
RE: #2365, I like how SBB is taking the two most extreme liberals on the board and making them into the entirety of leftists posing here. The honesty is blinding.
   2372. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 07:54 PM (#5459747)
Many I spoke with said they had made a fundamental mistake of viewing Trump primarily as an ideologue with whom they disagreed rather than what he increasingly appears to be: an ill-prepared newcomer to the world stage, with uninformed views and a largely untested team that will now be sorely tried by a 9-day, 5-stop world tour that would be wildly ambitious even for a seasoned global leader.
Why not both?
   2373. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:02 PM (#5459748)
Headline: "Democrats are Falling for Fake News About Russia"

So, Trump, Pence & Ryan may not be simultaneously removed from office? If you can't trust BBTF-OTP . . . well, that's just sad.
   2374. Lassus Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:08 PM (#5459749)
Plus the sort of macho, gloating way Trump went about describing the firing, which we can rest assured drives wide swaths of leftists absolutely batty.

Disagreeing with his staff and himself didn't happen, I guess.
   2375. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:10 PM (#5459750)
Donald Trump possesses the powers and prerogatives of the US president.

Not for much longer.
   2376. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:14 PM (#5459751)
Not for much longer.

Concession very much accepted, though not gloatingly.

It doesn't get much better than:

"Lefties haven't reconciled with the fact that Donald Trump possesses the powers and prerogatives of the US President"

"Oh, yeah? He won't very much longer!!!"

But somebody in the WH Counsel's office was shooting the #### with a colleague who was surfing the internet about impeachment today and told a newspaper, which reported it. It won't be long now!!!
   2377. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:14 PM (#5459752)
It's funny to see the left deny he's been treated worse, though.

Your relationship with reality grows more and more tenuous.
   2378. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:17 PM (#5459754)
How the #### is that putting America first?

It totes made the libtard cucks mad, bro. (Honestly, that seems to be the only unifying goal of Trump and his man-meat sleeves.
   2379. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:17 PM (#5459756)
Disagreeing with his staff and himself didn't happen, I guess.

It did happen, but it doesn't matter.

I can repeat that: Outside the already predisposed echo chamber, it literally does not matter that they gave varying accounts of a firing that had multiple reasons and was chewed over by multiple people.

And it literally does not matter that Trump offered varying accounts of a firing that had multiple reasons and was chewed over by multiple people.
   2380. Lassus Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:19 PM (#5459758)
Wrong thread.
   2381. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:20 PM (#5459759)
Concession very much accepted, though not gloatingly.

Here we go. Why should anyone be ok with that ####### in the WH?
   2382. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:24 PM (#5459761)
Why should anyone be ok with that ####### in the WH?

Because he was voted in pursuant to the country's election rules?
   2383. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:24 PM (#5459762)
2380. Lassus Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:19 PM (#5459758)
Granderson hitting .165 in May. Good lord.

A baseball post in OTP? Sad.
   2384. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:27 PM (#5459763)
There are a number of reasons for the firing, offered in a number of different rhetorical ways.
#FakeNews #AlternativeFacts
   2385. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:29 PM (#5459764)
I can repeat that: Outside the already predisposed echo chamber, it literally does not matter that they gave varying accounts of a firing that had multiple reasons and was chewed over by multiple people.
Maybe you should ask one of your imaginary lawyers to explain to you how it does matter. (Be sure to ask nicely. You can tell them that you never learned to do legal research, so you need their help. )
   2386. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:33 PM (#5459765)
Maybe you should ask one of your imaginary lawyers to explain to you how it does matter.

Why? You've tried to explain why it does, and your explanation completely failed. OTOH, I've explained at length why it doesn't matter and my explanation completely succeeded. (Hint: It dovetailed, and expanded on, Alan Dershowitz's. It gets into constitutional powers and prerogatives, which gets a little too complex for you. Let's see: Highly successful and frequently published Harvard Con Law professor ... or Jersey boutique labor employment lawyer. Pretty easy call.)

2387. tshipman Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:35 PM (#5459768)
OTOH, I've explained at length why it doesn't matter and my explanation completely succeeded.

lol

Source?

From the Independent, although they source it to:

Yashar Ali, a contributor to New York magazine
   2388. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:38 PM (#5459770)
From the Independent, although they source it to:

Gracias!
   2389. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:42 PM (#5459771)

Because he was voted in pursuant to the country's election rules?

There isn't a possibility that he wasn't? Anyway, he's not my president, either way.
   2390. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:44 PM (#5459772)
There isn't a possibility that he wasn't?

No, there really isn't. The votes were cast, the votes were counted, the electoral college met, the electoral college voted, he won, he was inaugurated, you donated money to St. Jude's. All those things actually happened.
   2391. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:46 PM (#5459774)
Anyway, he's not my president, either way.

See you silly cucks, you have to take us seriously, but not literally.
   2392. Joe Bivens Will Take a Steaming Dump Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:49 PM (#5459776)
All those things actually happened.

Doesn't make it legit.
   2393. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 08:54 PM (#5459782)
OTOH, I've explained at length why it doesn't matter and my explanation completely succeeded.
It's cute that you think that.
   2394. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 19, 2017 at 09:34 PM (#5459807)
SBB has left somewhere between 50 and 60 posts on this thread in the last 24 hours, most of them saying roughly the same thing. Can't wait for his next post criticizing one of us for wasting their time with an excess amount of useless typing.
   2395. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 19, 2017 at 09:51 PM (#5459817)
Phi Sigma Sigma is bummed out that someone posted their secret handshake and other rituals online. Some Streisand Effect litigation ensued, but that doesn't affect non-parties (which is the interesting issue), so the material is still available online some places, just in case anyone wants to amaze their PSS wife or girlfriend - but I think she might have to kill you. Posted for the benefit of those who like to live dangerously, or have an interest in 1st Amendment or handshake law.
   2396. Howie Menckel Posted: May 19, 2017 at 09:58 PM (#5459820)
Comey's hometown circles the wagons

"In the case of the recently fired FBI director, James Comey, the portrait that emerged in conversations in the streets and taverns of Allendale, the northern Bergen County hamlet where he grew up, conflicts starkly with the harsh assessment that President Trump offered after dismissing him.

Trump called Comey a “showboat” and a “grandstander.” In Allendale, however, residents who knew Comey, 56 — including his father — described a man who always had a basic sense of right and wrong and regularly attended Mass at the local Catholic church with his parents, two younger brothers and an older sister."

Comey's father turned Trump's harsh opinion of his son against him, calling the president's credibility into question.

“I never was crazy about Trump,” J. Brien Comey, 86, a Republican and a former borough councilman, said in an interview. “I’m convinced that he’s nuts. I thought he belonged in an institution. He was crazy before he became president. Now he’s really crazy.”

(always the problem in interviewing people from New Jersey - you just wish they would say what they REALLY feel)
   2397. Lassus Posted: May 19, 2017 at 09:59 PM (#5459821)
And it literally does not matter that Trump offered varying accounts of a firing that had multiple reasons and was chewed over by multiple people.

It does not matter to people who like having a clueless idiot in charge, no.
   2398. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: May 19, 2017 at 10:00 PM (#5459822)

Israeli intelligence officials have expressed anger that President Trump revealed sensitive information during a meeting with Russian officials last week, saying it could have compromised a source, Foreign Policy reported Friday.

"To them, it is horrifying," a U.S. defense official told Foreign Policy. "Their first question was: What is going on? What is this?"

The official said that Israeli intelligence officials were shouting at their American counterparts in meetings just days before Trump arrives in Tel Aviv.

The report follows another article earlier this week that said Israeli intelligence officers were "boiling mad and demanding answers" over Trump's disclosure, which came during an Oval Office meeting with two Russian diplomats last week.

The Hill
   2399. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2017 at 10:17 PM (#5459835)

Imagine, if you will, an alternate universe in which Hillary Clinton fires the FBI Director who is investigating her, sends her staff and the VP out to lie about the reasons, and then discloses her real reasons for the first time to agents and press of a foreign adversary who she has long been rumored to be in cahoots with. SBB would have no problem with that, right?
   2400. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 19, 2017 at 10:22 PM (#5459837)
Flip.
Page 24 of 27 pages ‹ First  < 22 23 24 25 26 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.