Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, February 19, 2018

OTP 19 February 2018: Does Buster Posey Have a Post-playing Career in Politics?

Buster Posey is one of the most accomplished catchers in baseball history. At 30 years old, he already has a Hall of Fame resume.

In eight full seasons with the Giants, Posey has won National League Rookie of the Year, NL MVP, four Silver Slugger awards, a Gold Glove, and is a five-time All-Star. While he still has plenty of years left, Posey has naturally thought a bit about what he would like to do once his playing days are done.

But, politics? Well, kind of.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 19, 2018 at 08:04 AM | 2205 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: buster posey, giants, off-topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 23 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. Ray (CTL) Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:30 PM (#5627684)
Ray's comments in bold. So, it's OK for Trump to refer to Warren as Pocahontas as an obvious joke because she claimed Native American ancestry, but it's beyond the pale to refer to Girl Spicey as Girl Spicey as a joke due to her incredible Spicey like "The crowd was the largest at an innaguration. PERIOD!" performance over the last 6 months.

Got it. I am duly chastized.

Please inform us when it is and isn't appropriate to give women silly nicknames as a joke, beyond "if the President does it, it's all good."

I'd respond to this but it's so incoherent I can't follow it. You said something sexist, so... the what now?
   402. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5627685)
I read Atlas Shrugged at 18, and almost threw it in the fireplace when I was done (sans the VERY IMPORTANT SPEECH that I skipped like everyone else). But that would have been immoral and evil, so I left it in an abandoned barn. I read 1/3rd of the Fountainhead at like 20 and somewhere in-between I read Anthem, which was the worst version of Logan's Run that has ever existed but still convinced me to turn ever-so-briefly to bad architecture.
   403. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:33 PM (#5627686)
I can't follow it.

Ray, the number of times you claim to not understand when caught in an obvious contradiction is approaching an uncountable number.
   404. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:33 PM (#5627687)
#396:
I'd go with "Baghdad Blob."

The reference to al-Sahaf is perfectly apropos, but "blob" could be perceived as fat shaming.

Not fat shaming, fat mocking. I'd make the same jokes about Michael Moore, President Oprah, Chris Christie, Ted Kennedy's bloated drunken molesting ghost, Donald Jell-O Trump, or Chris Matthews' Epcot Center head.

If I said that Sarah Huckabee Sanders wasn't blobbish, I'd be a reality-denying liar, and thus no better than (urk!) Sarah Huckabee Sanders.
   405. Srul Itza Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5627688)
the surge in U.S. energy production

Which began under Obama, and which was the result, not of politics, but of technological advances in fracking.
   406. Ray (CTL) Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:35 PM (#5627689)
What is the contradiction? It seems like a bizarre incoherent attempt to Whatabout on your part.
   407. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5627690)
but of technological advances in fracking.

When do they start this on Moloka'i or the Big Island?
   408. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5627693)
Which began under Obama, and which was the result, not of politics, but of technological advances in fracking.
Real Russia Today headline from 2013:

"How Obama, Clinton, & the DNC forced fracking on the world"

LOLs.
   409. Srul Itza Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:54 PM (#5627695)
When do they start this on Moloka'i or the Big Island?

We don't need fracking. We have volcanoes.

410. Chip Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:54 PM (#5627696)
Florida Republican state rep shocked, shocked to discover that he has an Alex Jones-sounding aide, places him on leave for claiming Parkland kids were actors.
   411. BDC Posted: February 20, 2018 at 05:55 PM (#5627698)
These episodes of outrage about terms like "####holster" or "Girl Spicey" are weirdly reflexive. The pattern goes: somebody leftish, who strongly and actively supports gay rights, women's rights, etc., uses some verbal barb that's about as superficial as you can get, usually in the context of satire. (I don't even quite understand the outrage over "Girl Spicey." Would it be better if she were mocked as "Woman Spicey?" "Female Spicey?" Google tells me she's 35, and I'm rapidly reaching the age where that is a "girl"; but I take it that calling a woman a girl is the flashpoint.)

Somebody rightish, who is otherwise consistently dismissive of gay rights, women's rights, etc., observes this barb and concludes that crossing some verbal tripwire equates to "homophobia" or "sexism." Hence there is no difference between David Duke and Steven Colbert on any issue. Colbert is just fronting as progressive, and the "####holster" slip reveals his real nature.

The warrant appears to be that homophobia, sexism, etc., don't really exist, are trivial, aren't any genuine concern, because it's really only the surface verbal transgression that means anything. "Obama wrote 'n#####' in a book, so no person on the left really cares about racism."

The obverse of that warrant, of course, is (e.g.) the rightist's "If I don't mention race anywhere in my support for the war on drugs or mass incarceration, if I never mention race in my assault on public education or immigrants or voting rights, then I am magically exempt from racism, and anyone suggesting I'm racist is a hysterical hypocrite."

It's just interesting to watch. Carry on – don't worry, I'm not calling anyone a racist. Or a ####holster, or even a girl.
   412. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:08 PM (#5627700)
These episodes of outrage...

...are as authentic as the deep hatred between Jack Lord and Khigh Dhiegh.
   413. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:12 PM (#5627701)
The warrant appears to be that homophobia, sexism, etc., don't really exist, are trivial, aren't any genuine concern, because it's really only the surface verbal transgression that means anything. "Obama wrote 'n#####' in a book, so no person on the left really cares about racism."

As someone frequently accused of such scurrilous charges my response has never wavered.
   414. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:14 PM (#5627703)
It sounds like whoever introduced "girl spicey" to the OTP lexicon is some kind of 3-D chess grandmaster with his trolling, and thus, per prevailing opinions on the most important job qualification for POTUS perhaps overqualified for the job.
   415. Count Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:22 PM (#5627706)
My argument -- actually it's not an argument so much as a factual observation -- is that none of the Mueller indictments relate to collusion.

Two of the guilty pleas are about lying to the FBI regarding communications with Russians in connection with working with Russians during the campaign to get dirt and telling the Russians not to retaliate over sanctions for their interference in the election. That's evidence (not proof) of collusion. The Manafort and Gates indictments also *may* relate to collusion if more comes out, though so far they stand alone. Repeatedly stating that there's no evidence of collusion or the indictments don't have anything to do with collusion doesn't make it true.
   416. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:24 PM (#5627707)
… but I take it that calling a woman a girl is the flashpoint.

Yet you devote a full 5 paragraphs to excusing it, and similar remarks, for those on your side, while clearly being unwilling to do the same for those you disagree with, regardless of whether they have actually uttered any derogatory remarks. It's almost as if your reaction depends entirely on the degree to which you agree with the speaker. But then you're an academic.
   417. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:26 PM (#5627708)
… but I take it that calling a woman a girl is the flashpoint.

Yet you devote a full 5 paragraphs to excusing it, and similar remarks, for those on your side, while clearly being unwilling to do the same for those you disagree with, regardless of whether they have actually uttered any derogatory remarks. It's almost as if your reaction depends entirely on the degree to which you agree with the speaker. But then you're an academic.

Me-OW. Sounds like someone's having their time of the month.
   418. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:27 PM (#5627710)
I'm telling ya...

Whoever set the wheels in motion to trigger the snowflakes...

He's even got career bureaucrats who allege that they have doctorate-level degrees complaining about academics.

That person has got some mad skilz. Whoever he is.
   419. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:31 PM (#5627712)

Can we at lest cut the shite and agree that the only reason for you to call it out is the same? Jeeze louise. Girl Spicey is the worst, and everyone who doesn't call it out are the worst, but Pocahontas is merely a joke, grab e'm by the ##### is merely lockerroom talk, and atacking a Gold Star mother is morally justified. If Trump walked into the National Archives and wiped his ass with the original Declaration of Independence you'd find a way to justify it.
   420. BDC Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:33 PM (#5627713)
If Trump walked into the National Archives and wiped his ass with the original Declaration of Independence you'd find a way to justify it

Reduce, reuse, recycle.
   421. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:36 PM (#5627714)
Trump's just underlining the most patriotic parts.
   422. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:38 PM (#5627715)
Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Think myopically, act vocally.
   423. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:41 PM (#5627717)
Can we at lest cut the shite and agree that the only reason for you to call it out is the same?

Noting the hypocrisy of some on the left here does provide a bit of amusement, but you'll note that my mocking of politicians or other posters doesn't include such sexist terminology. The folks who continually resort to name-calling and insults seem to get upset every time it's noted here.
   424. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:44 PM (#5627719)
Noting the hypocrisy of some on the left here does provide a bit of amusement, but you'll note that my mocking of politicians or other posters doesn't include such sexist terminology.

And yet the guy you defend daily as though you are on a large paid retainer does so routinely, daily, and not a peep.

And I continue to deny that Girl Spicey is sexist. Not only that, I strongly deny it. So I'm in the clear.
   425. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:48 PM (#5627721)
Noting the hypocrisy of some on the left here does provide a bit of amusement, but you'll note that my mocking of politicians or other posters doesn't include such sexist terminology.

So that's another vote for "Baghdad Blob." Thanks, Clapper. This race might come down to the overseas military ballots!
   426. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:50 PM (#5627722)
Trump's just underlining the most patriotic parts.

Somebody changed the channel by accident, and he saw this fascinating documentary on a hidden treasure during executive time.
   427. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:50 PM (#5627723)
These episodes of outrage about terms like "####holster" or "Girl Spicey" are weirdly reflexive. The pattern goes: somebody leftish, who strongly and actively supports gay rights, women's rights, etc., uses some verbal barb that's about as superficial as you can get, usually in the context of satire. (I don't even quite understand the outrage over "Girl Spicey." Would it be better if she were mocked as "Woman Spicey?" "Female Spicey?" Google tells me she's 35, and I'm rapidly reaching the age where that is a "girl"; but I take it that calling a woman a girl is the flashpoint.)

Somebody rightish, who is otherwise consistently dismissive of gay rights, women's rights, etc., observes this barb and concludes that crossing some verbal tripwire equates to "homophobia" or "sexism." Hence there is no difference between David Duke and Steven Colbert on any issue. Colbert is just fronting as progressive, and the "####holster" slip reveals his real nature.

The obverse of that warrant, of course, is (e.g.) the rightist's "If I don't mention race anywhere in my support for the war on drugs or mass incarceration, if I never mention race in my assault on public education or immigrants or voting rights, then I am magically exempt from racism, and anyone suggesting I'm racist is a hysterical hypocrite."

It's just interesting to watch. Carry on – don't worry, I'm not calling anyone a racist. Or a ####holster, or even a girl.

Does BTF have "gold"? Here, have some.
   428. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5627724)
To be fair to Clapper, all the time he spends on ageism leaves him little time to be sexist.
   429. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:56 PM (#5627725)
Noting the hypocrisy of some on the left here does provide a bit of amusement

Roasting marshmallows over your dying fire-consumed corpse would provide more.
   430. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 06:59 PM (#5627727)
   431. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:03 PM (#5627729)
So, so many best people...

Has anyone seen this guy and Jason in the same room?
   432. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:18 PM (#5627733)
Looks like the Dems are about to flip another state legislative seat - #37 since the dawn of Trump, I believe?

This one has a history - it's the seat vacated when Dan Johnson, who pretty might be described as equal parts Roy Moore, Donald Trump, and David Koresh, killed himself after reports of his church/molestation grooming operation were reported. The GOP candidate is his stand-by-your-Roy wife.

Ironically, the Dem who looks likely to flip the seat (Linda Belcher, she's up 2-1 with about 1/3 to half the vote in) is the person Johnson beat in 2016... and she herself won the seat after her husband died in office.
   433. zenbitz Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:22 PM (#5627734)

(re Ayn Rand)
I actually read one or two of her major books for the first time at maybe 23, but by then I was easily smart enough to realize she was full of ####.

See, when SBB says stuff like this I realize what an amazing troll he has been over the years. He's like the ultimate reverse gaslighter. This statement above makes me want to read Rand and evaluate it carefully.
   434. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5627736)
This statement above makes me want to read Rand and evaluate it carefully.

I'll save you the time.

Bravely Selfrelyington found himself yet again beset upon by government, society, and other people. He dreamed of a better story with actual character development. As he found himself self-relying, he thought

Insert 50 page soliloquy just in case someone misses the point here.

The end.
   435. zenbitz Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:28 PM (#5627738)
Calling the WHPS or whatever her title is "Girl Spicey" is somewhat sexist, and not in the best taste.

Personally, I think the job she has to do on a daily basis is punishment enough.
   436. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:31 PM (#5627740)
Personally, I think the job she has to do on a daily basis is punishment enough.

Unless WH hirings are now being done at gunpoint, I ran out of pity for them months ago. And as for the ones whose job is nothing more than spinning orange? Never had any to begin with.
   437. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:34 PM (#5627743)
Wow - the results are in for the KY-49 race and Belcher wins it better than 2-1 (~69% to ~31%).

Kentucky tends to be more Democratic at the state level than federal level, but yeesh.... This was a district Trump won by nearly 50 points - which helped Johnson unseat Belcher by a couple points.

But yowza.

Might be worth watching.

EDIT: Also worth noting - turnout was surprisingly high. Expectations were for ~3000 - looks like nearly 5K voted.
   438. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:37 PM (#5627744)
Calling the WHPS or whatever her title is "Girl Spicey" is somewhat sexist, and not in the best taste.

She doesn't have to do it.

And my mocking of her is not merely because she is the opposition party's presidenial spokesperson, or even that she's Trump's spokesperson. It's because she shamelessly, on a daily basis, continues the Sean Spicer tradition telling the hugest whoppers, to the extent that she could not function as a human being if she believed the crap she says.
   439. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:37 PM (#5627745)
Might be worth watching.

If YC announces his retirement from BTF OTP we'll know things are looking grim for the GOP in November.
   440. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:54 PM (#5627749)
In economic news - Small Business Confidence Hits Record High:
Small-business confidence is surging in 2018 as optimism rises among small-business owners about the newly enacted tax-reform package, according to the latest CNBC/SurveyMonkey Small Business Survey, released Tuesday.

The CNBC/SurveyMonkey Q1 Small Business Confidence Index saw an increase of five points, from 57 to 62, a record high and the largest quarter-to-quarter move the index has seen since CNBC and SurveyMonkey began measuring last year. This is the first survey since President Donald Trump signed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act into law on December 22, 2017.

Small business, the backbone of the economy.
   441. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:57 PM (#5627750)
Zonk:
Looks like the Dems are about to flip another state legislative seat - #37 since the dawn of Trump, I believe?

It has not gone unnoticed that some people seem to push only one side of the narrative, while oh-so-conveniently ignoring the 4 seats Republicans have picked up over the same span. Hmmm.
   442. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: February 20, 2018 at 07:57 PM (#5627751)

And yet the guy you defend daily as though you are on a large paid retainer does so routinely, daily, and not a peep.

Haven't you memorized Clapper's standard Freudian slip response to this accusation by now?

"IT'S NOT MY JOB"
   443. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 20, 2018 at 08:02 PM (#5627752)
   444. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 08:03 PM (#5627753)
It has not gone unnoticed that some people seem to push only one side of the narrative, while oh-so-conveniently ignoring the 4 seats Republicans have picked up over the same span. Hmmm.

I guess it would also be fair to point out that all the forensic experts were on a well-deserved vacation after Roy Moore's loss... leaving this Republican scrambling to find qualified people to defend the First Church of the Immaculate Passed Out Groping.
   445. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 08:16 PM (#5627755)
More bad news for Netanyahu -

Shlomo Filber, a confidant of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu who was arrested by the police in an investigation into the ties of Israel’s telecom giant with government officials, reached a deal with the police late on Tuesday to turn state's evidence. According to the deal, Filber will incriminate Netanyahu in exchange for a lighter sentence.

Filber, the former director general of the Communications Ministry under Netanyahu, is suspected of granting financial benefits to Shaul Elovitch, the controlling shareholder of Bezeq, Israel's largest telecom company, on behalf of the prime minister. In return, police suspect Elovitch skewed coverage on the Walla news website he owns to favor Netanyahu and his wife, Sara.

Notably - this turn would be over the so-called "case 4000" crime, which not one of the two for indictment has (yet) been recommended.... so could be a third indictment recommendation coming.
   446. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2018 at 08:16 PM (#5627756)
After a six-day hibernation following the overexuberant Constitutional reaffirmation in Florida, an actual White House press conference was held by Strong, Equal Person Spicey.

She said that Trump has been harder on Russia in the past year than Obama was in eight years... and she also said that Russia may not have done anything wrong at all. Total incoherent podium bullshit has traditionally been unfairly monopolized by men. But Empowered Womyn Spicey is proving that it's a shiny new world.
   447. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 20, 2018 at 08:18 PM (#5627759)
Also she is big-boned.
   448. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 08:20 PM (#5627760)
She said that Trump has been harder on Russia in the past year than Obama was in eight years... and she also said that Russia may not have done anything wrong at all. Total incoherent podium bullshit has traditionally been unfairly monopolized by men. But Empowered Womyn Spicey is proving that it's a shiny new world.

It's almost as if Boy Jason and Girl Spicey are working off the same talking points....
   449. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: February 20, 2018 at 08:26 PM (#5627762)

It's almost as if Boy Jason and Girl Spicey are working off the same talking points....

In fairness to JE, he's been playing that game since Girl Spicey tried to sneak into the Boy Scouts. She almost got away with it.
   450. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: February 20, 2018 at 08:41 PM (#5627765)
Personal attacks on the kids are awful

Tell that to idiot spawn #1

Trump Jr likes tweets attacking school shooting survivors

Donald Trump Jr. has liked a tweet criticizing a teenage survivor of Florida's high school massacre last week which suggest he was not really there and cannot be trusted because he is the son of a retired FBI agent.

The tweet mocks 17-year-old David Hogg, a student journalist who fled gunman Nikolas Cruz along with his classmates at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland on Wednesday.

451. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: February 20, 2018 at 08:44 PM (#5627767)
In fairness to JE, he's been playing that game since Girl Spicey tried to sneak into the Boy Scouts. She almost got away with it.

lol
   452. zenbitz Posted: February 20, 2018 at 08:58 PM (#5627769)
Look I have never paid an iota of attention to anything a WHPS has ever said, and I am not about to start now.

So she's a toady like non entity. You gotta making a living somehow. She's not exactly a suicide bomber or a concentration camp guard.
   453. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:00 PM (#5627770)

If you want to buy panels five years from now, after China has successfully destroyed the local industry and has jacked the price up? Or has completely cut the US out in response to some geopolitical action? Not so clear. This might actually save you money long term. Or it might not.
This doesn't happen. Predatory pricing -- a company or group of companies pricing below cost to capture the market and then jacking up prices to monopolistic levels -- is generally regarded by economists as little more than an old wives' tale. It's economically irrational as a strategy, and there's virtually no evidence that it has ever worked for anyone as a long term strategy.

(To be sure, if a country -- as opposed to a company -- wanted to do it, it could; governments, unlike companies, can just decide to keep losing money forever in pursuit of such a strategy. But it still makes no economic sense for them to do so.)
   454. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:04 PM (#5627772)
This doesn't happen. Predatory pricing -- a company or group of companies pricing below cost to capture the market and then jacking up prices to monopolistic levels -- is generally regarded by economists as little more than an old wives' tale. It's economically irrational as a strategy, and there's virtually no evidence that it has ever worked for anyone as a long term strategy.

(To be sure, if a country -- as opposed to a company -- wanted to do it, it could; governments, unlike companies, can just decide to keep losing money forever in pursuit of such a strategy. But it still makes no economic sense for them to do so.)

I agree with davis here. What's China going to do, lose money for years while building up their solar panel industry, only to cut off their biggest market? To what end?
   455. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:14 PM (#5627773)
Rand was neither a great writer nor a great philosopher. Nevertheless, she was an incredibly successful one -- not just in the sense of selling lots of books, but in the sense of selling her ideas. She did more to refute collectivism and popularize individualism than almost any other English-speaking writer. And she is an important gateway into libertarianism (she herself was adamantly not one, though.) The sniping at her pretty much just reveals people's insecurities about their own views.

EDIT:
I've only read Atlas Shrugged. I think ponderous is right.
Well, that's obviously the longest book she wrote, so by far the most ponderous. It could've benefitted from significant editing. Fountainhead is a lot shorter and less so. Or read We the Living or Anthem. Both underrated and overshadowed by the big two.
   456. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:15 PM (#5627774)

That too is neither here nor there. Nobody is "impatient." Certainly not me. We're simply pointing out that the longer this investigation goes on without the collusion unicorn being found the less likely it would seem that collusion will be found.
I mean, that's kind of a tautology.
   457. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:17 PM (#5627776)
The sniping at her pretty much just reveals people's insecurities about their own views.

Or the fact that she just ain't that good a writer. I mean it could be that too, right?
   458. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:27 PM (#5627781)

Or the fact that she just ain't that good a writer. I mean it could be that too, right?
Nope. That would explain comments about her writing style, not sneering about how only teenagers read her.
   459. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5627782)
The Fountainhead inspired not one, but two Simpsons B storylines (well, technically one B plot and a vignette in a non-canon episode)... both involve Maggie, though.
   460. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:31 PM (#5627783)
The CPAC lineup [ed: lol]:

Sebastian Gorka
Ronna Romney McDaniel
Jeanine Pirro
Eric Bolling
Mark Levin
Ben Shapiro
Gary Johnson
Katie Pavlich
Michelle Malkin
Nigel Farage
Matt Bevin
Wayne LaPierre
Dana Loesch
Sheriff Clarke
John Bolton
Ted Cruz
Sean Hannity
Ajit Pai
Trump/Pence
   461. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:52 PM (#5627790)
I agree with davis here. What's China going to do, lose money for years while building up their solar panel industry, only to cut off their biggest market? To what end?
The "end" is building up the domestic industry base to support manufacturing at scale so that products can be made cheaper and faster than competitors, while simultaneously building infrastructure to support rapid mobilization of workers from the country. There is a tipping point at which it is no longer economically feasible to compete.

If you don't believe it happens, you simply haven't been paying attention. You simply can't get vital components in America to make many types of consumer goods (shoes, injection molded plastics, some types of microchips, etc). Industry base considerations are a major factor in the defense industry as well as in the commercial sector, and energy will be a major factor in future economic competitiveness.

Even just a 5 or 10% increase in the cost of energy would have a significant impact on US productivity over time. Is it worth taking a haircut now to allow the domestic industry to establish itself to reduce risk later? I think so. There might be an argument on the other side. But it's crazy just to dismiss the risk with a hardwave.
   462. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:54 PM (#5627791)
The CPAC lineup

Jesus wept.
   463. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 09:55 PM (#5627792)
The CPAC lineup

Jesus wept.

That's the name of the band booked for one of the evening soirees.
   464. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 10:16 PM (#5627794)

Without weighing in one way or another on the larger issue -

I'd point out that we're not talking about a luxury good here and China has a very serious pollution problem, especially when it comes to air quality in high population density areas. They're committed - certainly, in a very heavy-handed, totalitarian way - to solving this problem rapidly and through technology.

Obviously, a state-run economy has larger stakes in its hands than the single export/import balance of a very specific technology/good...

IOW - I doubt China's strategy is a longterm cornering of the market... it's more a near-term assurance that technical development and advancement will be Chinese and China will own its future shifting to renewable energy sources.

It's certainly a more niche area than the broader technical/digital revolution of the last 30 years - and lord knows the Chinese have found plenty of ways around international patent/IP in the technical realm (including just outright ignoring claims), but they've also paid the occasional price... especially as China has attempted to move - rapidly - into the world market as more than just a materials and labor provider.

It's a lesson I think they've learned well - they're not making any grand plans to own the cutting edge forever - just ensure that while it remains an emerging technology, and one that their infrastructure planning is leaning heavily on (even while it likewise emerges globally), they own it.

China's "biggest market" - so long as their aggressive plans to address air quality problems remains as aggressive as it is - is themselves for moment...
   465. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 20, 2018 at 10:47 PM (#5627798)
No mention of today's Wisconsin Supreme Court election? Not that long ago, the anti-Scott Walker folks went to the mattresses over such races. This was the primary in the officially non-partisan contest, with GOP-backed Michael Screnock finishing first. The interesting aspect was the battle among two Democrats for the other general election ballot line. Tim Burns, a tort lawyer, campaigned as an unabashed anti-Walker, progressive Democrat, running in a manner more like rough & tumble contests for political office. He was defeated by a more typical judicial candidate, a county judge, but she may have harmed herself by running some rather political ads herself in response to Burns challenge, although not many pay much attention to judicial elections.
   466. BrianBrianson Posted: February 20, 2018 at 10:48 PM (#5627799)
Or read We the Living or Anthem. Both underrated and overshadowed by the big two.

I read Anthem. It took a long time, because I had to be rushed to hospital after vomiting out of my tear ducts.

Yeah, if society is too tolerant of moochers, mooching can be a successful strategy. Calling yourself a libertarian or an objectivist will almost make being a leech feel like a moral decision. Great, until you're old enough to drive, in which case you're too old for that nonsense.
   467. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: February 20, 2018 at 10:49 PM (#5627800)
Even just a 5 or 10% increase in the cost of energy would have a significant impact on US productivity over time. Is it worth taking a haircut now to allow the domestic industry to establish itself to reduce risk later? I think so. There might be an argument on the other side. But it's crazy just to dismiss the risk with a hardwave.

Good points and of course fracking (thanks Obama!) has made US manufacturing more competitive via lowered energy costs. What we should be doing is subsidizing of course and pushing every god damn STEM kid in America and abroad to come study at our universities and eventually teach at our grad schools. We need better catalysts for renewables to really take off, and those are only going to come out of the basic science and lab work. Converting mechanical energy to electricity remains incredibly inefficient and a major limiting factor in EVs and any mechanically driven power source (eg wind, tidal). Combustion is a helluva thing and there's no wonder it still has so many great applications in transportation.

I wonder what the Rick Perry DOE is up to these days, besides self flagellation.

As I've repeated over and over: the Reagan and post Reagan GOP idea is to ruin government, and then claim it doesn't work in order to cut taxes for the donor class. Some, like David, may be drawn to the idea -- but historically the US has proven that good governance (with the blessing of our vast national budget) is not only possible, it's expected. See the school system, infrastructure, and on and on and on. National Parks. the Internet. Hell, the Postal Service, which still works remarkably well. The military also is, for all the Catch 22 #### -- also by far the best in the world, and the ultimate example of what a well oiled society can organize (Space Program another).

Trump is dangerous in many ways that Reagan and Herbert and W were not -- but he's just a symptom of the diseased GOP and it was only a matter of time until someone so ill-suited and ill-tempered won their nomination and given the apparent "self gerrymandering" of the Dems the EC without the popular vote.
   468. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 10:59 PM (#5627802)
No mention of today's Wisconsin Supreme Court election? Not that long ago, the anti-Scott Walker folks went to the mattresses over such races. This was the primary in the officially non-partisan contest, with GOP-backed Michael Screnock finishing first. The interesting aspect was the battle among two Democrats for the other general election ballot line. Tim Burns, a tort lawyer, campaigned as an unabashed anti-Walker, progressive Democrat, running in a manner more like rough & tumble contests for political office. He was defeated by a more typical judicial candidate, a county judge, but she may have harmed herself by running some rather political ads herself in response to Burns challenge, although not many pay much attention to judicial elections.

The two Democrats combined for 54-55% of the vote, so I might not necessarily count that silver lining yet.

FTR - I have a couple friends who are cheeseheads deeply immersed in anti-Walkerism and Wisconsin progressive politics; from the Madison protests on up tonight - and both of them voted for Dallet.
   469. BDC Posted: February 20, 2018 at 11:00 PM (#5627803)
I can’t read more than a few pages of Ayn Rand. But then I can’t read more than a few pages of Upton Sinclair, John Dos Passos, Thomas Wolfe, or Jack Kerouac. The work of all of them seems overwritten to me, though they’re all over the map politically. I assume Rand’s politics would put me off if I could get past the prose, but I will likely never know.
   470. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: February 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM (#5627806)
My wife and I once drove 5 hours to West Virginia to look at a library with about 5000 books. This was in 1989, and all I can remember about it was that I bought 3 entire books: A history of the Hatfields, a history of the McCoys, and a jacketed book club edition of The Fountainhead, which sold for about 10 bucks a few days later. Beautiful day, nice drive, found a great restaurant to stop and eat at, but I can't say it was one of the highlights of my bookselling career.

I read enough of Ayn Rand's political commentaries in her Objectivist Newsletter (which the Duke library used to carry in its periodicals reading room) to realize she was a raving loon. But I'd always buy any of her books I could find for my shop, because I always figured better their money in my pocket than theirs.
   471. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 20, 2018 at 11:16 PM (#5627807)
I can’t read more than a few pages of Ayn Rand. But then I can’t read more than a few pages of Upton Sinclair, John Dos Passos, Thomas Wolfe, or Jack Kerouac. The work of all of them seems overwritten to me, though they’re all over the map politically. I assume Rand’s politics would put me off if I could get past the prose, but I will likely never know.

I would consider Kerouac the ying to Rand's yang... I prefer Sinclair Lewis to Upton Sinclair and Tom Wolfe to Thomas Wolfe, though, sure.
   472. greenback slays lewks Posted: February 20, 2018 at 11:17 PM (#5627808)
Nope. That would explain comments about her writing style, not sneering about how only teenagers read her.

The thing about teenagers is true though, isn't it? Once you get to college and somebody gives you a five minute lecture on Nietzsche, why would you waste your time reading Ayn Rand? There's a massive opportunity cost, and even in the finance sector of corporate America most individuals have aspirations to be more than economic units maximizing their capacity to secure the benefits attributable to their own talents.
   473. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2018 at 11:28 PM (#5627809)
No mention of another House Republican just up and retiring?

Bye bye, Florida's Tom Rooney, who won his last election 62% to 34%, and would almost certainly have retained his very conservative district. Now, his replacement will. A critic of the gridlock, maybe he decided he didn't want to experience gridlock plus minority House status? Better ask him soon.

In any event, we have a NEW leader in the clubhouse!

GOP House retirements, last 20 cycles (not counting retirements to run for Senate, Governor, etc):
1980-- 11
1982-- 12
1984-- 9
1986-- 13
1988-- 10
1990-- 9
1992-- 23
1994-- 9
1996-- 18
1998-- 11
2000-- 18
2002-- 16
2004-- 13
2006-- 9
2008-- 27
2010-- 13
2012-- 14
2014-- 16
2016-- 20
2018-- 28 as of Feb 20

And there's still months and months and month (that's 5 months) for the number to rise further. Keep an eye on the 4 to 6 abruptly outgoing Pennsylvania Congressmen.
   474. greenback slays lewks Posted: February 20, 2018 at 11:53 PM (#5627812)
Keep an eye on the 4 to 6 abruptly outgoing Pennsylvania Congressmen.

This assumes the Republican state legislature won't impeach the state supreme court.
   475. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 21, 2018 at 05:02 AM (#5627828)

I'd point out that we're not talking about a luxury good here and China has a very serious pollution problem, especially when it comes to air quality in high population density areas. They're committed - certainly, in a very heavy-handed, totalitarian way - to solving this problem rapidly and through technology.
That explains why China would want to use solar power. It might explain therefore why the Chinese government would want to subsidize R&D, and why the Chinese government would want to subsidize domestic use of solar power. What it doesn't explain is why the Chinese government would want to subsidize Americans' use of solar power.
   476. Greg K Posted: February 21, 2018 at 07:24 AM (#5627841)
Maybe the royals and revolutionaries that Greg K studies are truly remote enough from present British politics not to engage partisan debate, but I wonder even about that.

You'd think. Though the big question of what caused the Civil War in the 17th century has gone through several swings since the 1960s, and you can usually make a pretty accurate guess at someone's 20th or 21st century politics on how they feel about various figures in the 1620s.
   477. BDC Posted: February 21, 2018 at 07:38 AM (#5627846)
Dinesh D’Souza mocks Parkland survivors … in a tweet I apparently can’t link to; yesterday at 4:34 PM on his Twitter account, if you’re interested. I haven’t kept up with old Dinesh lately, but he is apparently completely round the twist.
   478. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: February 21, 2018 at 07:41 AM (#5627847)
So there's a bot purge on Twitter going on? And the only people complaining are conservatives? Oh what a lovely day.
   479. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 21, 2018 at 07:45 AM (#5627849)
Dinesh D’Souza mocks Parkland survivors … in a tweet I apparently can’t link to; yesterday at 4:34 PM on his Twitter account, if you’re interested. I haven’t kept up with old Dinesh lately, but he is apparently completely round the twist.

Learn to link old-timer!

It’s perfectly justified because a kid beat him up once. Super embarrassing, his mistress was watching.
   480. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 21, 2018 at 07:51 AM (#5627851)
Another well-considered comment. It’s ok, he’s Christian now, Jesus has forgiven him.
   481. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: February 21, 2018 at 08:03 AM (#5627855)

William LeGate
‏Verified account @williamlegate
12h12 hours ago

Anyone else find it strange that the GOP believes teenagers aren’t old enough to think rationally about guns, yet they’re old enough to buy assault rifles?

482. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: February 21, 2018 at 08:05 AM (#5627856)
   483. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 21, 2018 at 08:21 AM (#5627859)
Dinesh D’Souza mocks Parkland survivors
Um, we are contractually obligated to say "Convicted felon Dinesh D'Souza did such and such."
   484. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 21, 2018 at 08:25 AM (#5627860)
The awesomeness of whack reactions continues...

Is it really that hard for people to just say "I mourn for the terrible tragedy they endured but I still disagree with their opinion on guns"?

I suppose maybe we could ask the Sandy Hook parents. It would appear that the whackery hackery tossed their way was just a dry run... a beta release test-marketed only in select circles.
   485. Lassus Posted: February 21, 2018 at 08:27 AM (#5627861)
The sniping at her pretty much just reveals people's insecurities about their own views.

The same way your sniping at Progressives reveals yours? Sure, David. I hate to sign on to the Philosophical preaching of the president of the Andruw Fan Club, but this is really bad understanding of human thinking.

Honestly, I think your comment attunes accurately to the sniping on her writing quality, which is certainly no worse than a million others who've put pen to paper.

I snipe on what comes out of that pen because I find it stupid at best and evil at worse. There's no insecurity involved, she deserves as much mockery as Tony Robbins does.
   486. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: February 21, 2018 at 08:28 AM (#5627863)
Is it really that hard for people to just say "I mourn for the terrible tragedy they endured but I still disagree with their opinion on guns"?

He got fired for telling the truth!
   487. BDC Posted: February 21, 2018 at 08:49 AM (#5627872)
I prefer Sinclair Lewis to Upton Sinclair and Tom Wolfe to Thomas Wolfe, though, sure

Same here. Tom Wolfe's books are too long, but they are energetic and interesting. Sinclair Lewis was a great writer. He took American BS to pieces because at some level he could identify with it. When Trump was elected and people were reading 1984, I thought they should also read It Can't Happen Here. Even though that's far from Lewis's best book (he did realism better than speculative fiction), it truly catches the strain of American populism that led ultimately to Donald Trump.
   488. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:07 AM (#5627880)
Same here. Tom Wolfe's books are too long, but they are energetic and interesting. Sinclair Lewis was a great writer. He took American BS to pieces because at some level he could identify with it. When Trump was elected and people were reading 1984, I thought they should also read It Can't Happen Here. Even though that's far from Lewis's best book (he did realism better than speculative fiction), it truly catches the strain of American populism that led ultimately to Donald Trump.

With a nice mix of Elmer Gantry tossed in to introduce Trump himself.

As for Wolfe (the living one), I think he's a fabulous writer - A Man in Full tends to draw polarizing views, but strictly from the perspective of the prose, I think he's one of the best at painting scenes where the atmosphere underscores the thrust of the scene. More than anything - having read it while I was still a year away from college graduation and harboring dreams of just making rent while writing a Great American Novel, it convinced me that perhaps I should have a plan B. Long though he is - nothing's wasted in specific passages... To the extent he's overlong, it's more a matter of cutting passages, not parts of them.
   489. BDC Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:09 AM (#5627882)
Long though he is - nothing's wasted in specific passages... To the extent he's overlong, it's more a matter of cutting passages, not parts of them

I think that's a good principle for appreciating long works of art, from opera to movies to baseball games :)

490. Ishmael Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:10 AM (#5627884)
   491. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:15 AM (#5627887)
Someone get Bruno Sammartino's alibi, he never forgave Graham for crushing him like a bug in MSG.
   492. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:16 AM (#5627889)
Billy Graham has died.

May The Lord bless him----real good!
   493. BrianBrianson Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:27 AM (#5627897)
That explains why China would want to use solar power. It might explain therefore why the Chinese government would want to subsidize R&D, and why the Chinese government would want to subsidize domestic use of solar power. What it doesn't explain is why the Chinese government would want to subsidize Americans' use of solar power.

Right, but I kind of assume that subsidizing R&D is the basis for the allegation of dumping. I haven't looked into it, but I did spend a deal time of trying to understand why it was alleged Canada is dumping softwood lumber in the US, and the "subsidizing" was not charging companies enough to cut down trees.
   494. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:30 AM (#5627900)
Looks like my old stomping grounds may actually have a race for both the R and D gov nominations...

I was rooting for Chicago alderman Ameya Pawar from afar, but he dropped out early (not surprising, he only barely managed an aldermanic upset a few cycles back with a pure shoe leather campaign and he's hardly made many friends in the state/local party apparatuses since).

Fortunately, I think Bliss would also make a fine candidate -- more of the technocrat than the grassroots progressive that Pawar is -- but that's fine, too.

I don't think much of Pritzker.
   495. . Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5627905)

We should all realize that the existence of Twitter as a medium literally precipitated the thought of mocking the survivors to enter his consciousness. It's a malevolent force.
   496. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:58 AM (#5627908)
One tiny sliver of a silver lining with the Parkland shooting is that more people are learning about who Marjory Stoneman Douglas was. First of all, she lived to be 108, which is remarkable enough in its own right. More substantially, she is probably the person most responsible for the existance of the Everglades today. I know, for many, that's a bug, not a feature.

Anyway, she took on the project of preserving the Everglades from development when she was 80 years old. The conservationists Grandma Moses if you will. This after a full life as a writer, suffregette, and civil rights activist. A truly remarkable woman, and one worthy to have been considered to replace AJ on the $20 bill.
   497. Stormy JE Posted: February 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5627909)
Why do I strongly suspect the line between the mature kids and immature kids matches ideological preference perfectly?

Asking for Ben Shapiro.
Just saw this, zonkie. Wake us when CNN presenters or reporters devote fluff pieces and town hall meetings to the views of pro-life students.
   498. Count Posted: February 21, 2018 at 10:02 AM (#5627911)
They experienced a mass shooting and/or it killed a bunch of people they knew, why shouldn't they speak up? And fine for MSM to cover it though fair to note most reporters and outlets are anti gun.
   499. Zonk is One Individual Posted: February 21, 2018 at 10:03 AM (#5627912)
Just saw this, zonkie. Wake us when CNN presenters or reporters devote fluff pieces and town hall meetings to the views of pro-life students.

They've probably all got prior bookings....
   500. . Posted: February 21, 2018 at 10:03 AM (#5627913)
I prefer Sinclair Lewis

Sinclair Lewis made us understand why individuals are to be preferred to bureaucratic collectives far earlier and far more effectively than Ayn Rand.

As for Wolfe (the living one), I think he's a fabulous writer - A Man in Full tends to draw polarizing views,

I really, really liked Bonfire of the Vanities and thought it was outstanding and criminally underrated, but that might have been a product of time and place. I have on my to-do list catching back up with it to see if I still think so and how it's aged. (The movie, of course, was dreadful.)
Page 5 of 23 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.