Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 01, 2018

OTP 1 January 2018 - Athlete boycotts of White House didn’t start with Donald Trump — but he sure helped

Amateur teams began going to the White House as far back as the mid-1860s, while the first championship winning pro baseball team attended in 1925. That was the Washington Senators, winners of the previous year’s World Series. They were hosted by then-president Calvin Coolidge.

Teams that later followed include the Super Bowl-winning Pittsburgh Steelers. The squad was on hand for the same ceremony in 1980 with then-president Jimmy Carter as baseball’s Pittsburgh Pirates. In June 1991, the Penguins were the first NHL team to visit after capturing a title, meeting George H.W. Bush.

Bird’s decision to skip the visit in 1984 — usually consisting of handshakes and photo ops — is said to be the first snub of significance, even though he didn’t give political reasons.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 01, 2018 at 03:22 PM | 1771 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: champions, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. PepTech Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5600213)
You guys totally let Ray off the hook

Meh...
Yeah, that phrase doesn't compute. Any time a hook gets within 10 feet of Ray he'll call you a liar, conflate fact with opinion, and declare TDS. Repeat ad nauseum, ad infinitum.
   402. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5600214)
And yet you haven't understood any of them!

To be fair, Andy never claimed to read them, just that he ordered them.

Andy, have you read Race and the Decline of Class by Robert Huckfeldt? He was one of my favorite professors at UC Davis. His course in political dynamics was the first nonmethodological course that I took on social science modeling.
   403. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5600216)
Do you want to know who "thought she was going to win"? HILLARY. And her campaign (except apparently for Bill). And her supporters.

Yes. Many of us thought enough Americans would have basic common sense and basic common decency and not install a human #### stain wanna be fascist like Donald Trump into the Oval Office.

And we see the stupidity of that.

Stipulated. Don't worry. We will never overestimate you fcvktards again.
   404. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5600218)
This is pretty basic, actually, and those holding up the "popular vote" as if it rebuts the electoral college results always look foolish. It's useful information in many contexts but not as a way to rebut the results of the electoral college to hold up a "true winner."

Which is why no one here has done this. You keep saying people have, and...

People here have indeed done this. And hilariously, David did it just two posts after you wrote that:

How could he intelligently "think he was going to win?" The margin was razor thin. If he *didn't* think he was going to win then he pegged things exactly.

Because he didn't win; glad we agree.

Care to retract your statement, PepTech?
   405. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5600219)

David did it just two posts after you wrote that:
Uh, Ray? I was agreeing with you: "If he *didn't* think he was going to win then he pegged things exactly."
   406. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5600220)

Why should anyone extend such a rhetorical courtesy to you, Ray? Have you ever done so much to others?
   407. Lassus Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5600221)

Yes, too bad the Cato Institute hasn't written one.
   408. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5600222)
it's far better to go into a first rate store and browse through a section, IF you don't really have an exact title in mind. As the line in Parnassus on Wheels put it, "We have exactly what you want, although you may not know it."
The extreme version of this: a couple of times at the Seminary Co-op (the best bookstore in the English-speaking world) I got to watch Garry Wills go through the Christian theology section. His strategy seemed to be to look at every single spine on the shelf and then buy the book if he didn't recognize it.
   409. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5600223)
Trump could have gotten Moore out of the race by (a) convincing Moore to drop out, or (b) convincing the AL GOP to do something to replace him. He tried neither, and that got him the D senator he didn't want.

It doesn't seem likely that anyone could have convinced Moore to drop out, and since they were past the statutory deadline for replacing candidates on the ballot, the Alabama GOP didn't have any realistic options, either. Sure, party leaders could have tried to mount a write-in campaign for a more palatable candidate, but that would have also lead to the seat going to the Democrats. In American politics, there are no good options when a bad candidate wins the nomination. There's no Politburo to just push him/her aside.
   410. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5600224)
   411. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5600225)
Thank you, President Trump.

He's been very strict on thunderstorms.
   412. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5600226)

How the Strand doesn't have at least a cat or three is a real shame.

I used to go to that shop every year when I was visiting my cousin in Seattle on Northwest book buying trips. Not a bad little shop in spite of their overemphasis on paperback, and I definitely remember the cat(s).

---------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I just think it's very overrated for purposes of pure browsing. I did get a nice early translation copy of Trotsky's Permanent Revolution at Strand - purchased mostly to freak out my dad - but strictly for purposes of spending an hour or so browsing, either looking for a nice early edition of a title of bookshelf quality I like or just meandering through the stacks looking for something interesting to catch my eye, I far prefer the smaller establishments. Strand just feels too mall-like, almost overwhelming. I far prefer a smaller storefront where I can make it through the all sections I want to hit up thoroughly in an excursion.

My other real beef with Strand is that there just aren't (m)any good deals to be found - I mean, I suppose you don't run across many used stores that don't know their business so it's not like I'm ever in a position to feel like I got a real steal elsewhere anyway (for that, the thrift shops seem best)... but at Strand, it was just so often "Oh, this looks interesting... Oops - forget it, not THAT interesting".

The Strand is a lot like Second Story in DC, in that 90% to 99% of their floor stock is either common or forgettable or both, and anything they get outside of review copies that doesn't fall into those categories gets sent upstairs to go online. OTOH if you don't mind paying top dollar, a visit to their Rare Book room is probably worthwhile, but that's about the only way you're going to see any out of print books that aren't run of the mill. Whatever I may think about the way they run their business, they're not stupid and they don't make many pricing mistakes.

413. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5600229)
You guys totally let Ray off the hook

Meh...

He's going to ride this baby straight into the ground, hooting and hollering all the way. He's our Slim Pickens.
   414. Traderdave Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5600231)

He's going to ride this baby straight into the ground, hooting and hollering all the way. He's our Slim Pickens.

The day Il Duce leaves office in disgrace (and I give that a 60% chance) will be the greatest day OTP will ever have.
   415. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5600232)
In American politics, there are no good options when a bad candidate wins the nomination.

Trump.... Moore.... What I'm sure is going to be a bumper crop of whackjobs in 2018, on top of the bumper crop of not-a-witches, forceable-rapes, trade-chickens-for-chemo you've produced in the last decade.

Are you ever going to get around to considering that maybe your party has a real problem, all the way deep in its very core and fiber, that keeps fetching "bad candidates"?

Or - do you need to have enough of them manage to slip across the finish line and put their awfulness towards actual governance before you wake up and smell the rot?
   416. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5600233)

It doesn't seem likely that anyone could have convinced Moore to drop out,
Nobody else, but Trump, maybe, though. Not saying it's guaranteed, but he didn't even try.
and since they were past the statutory deadline for replacing candidates on the ballot, the Alabama GOP didn't have any realistic options, either.
They had various ideas for postponing the election if necessary, thereby allowing a new person on the ballot. Again, nothing guaranteed, but they didn't even try, because Trump wasn't behind them.
Sure, party leaders could have tried to mount a write-in campaign for a more palatable candidate, but that would have also lead to the seat going to the Democrats.
Why? There are more than enough Republican voters in Alabama to win even if the votes are partially split.. See Lisa Murkowski's write-in win, for instance.

And if you're going to lose, better to lose not having supported a child molester.
   417. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5600234)
Do you want to know who "thought she was going to win"? HILLARY. And her campaign (except apparently for Bill). And her supporters.

Yes. Many of us thought enough Americans would have basic common sense and basic common decency and not install a human #### stain wanna be fascist like Donald Trump into the Oval Office.

And we see the stupidity of that.

Stipulated. Don't worry. We will never overestimate you fcvktards again.

Unsurprisingly, like Andy buried in a sea of books about the southern strategy, you didn't understand the lesson. The lesson is that people don't boil the presidential election down to side issues like "he is a sex abuser." They're concerned with policy issues and thus it's ideology (or pettiness) that drives them. So to think R voters were just going to sit home or - even more fantastically - vote for Hillary Clinton was just never in the cards. Better you learn that lesson now so that history doesn't repeat itself.
   418. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5600236)
David N to Yankee Clapper, #416:
And if you're going to lose, better to lose not having supported a child molester.

Some might say.
   419. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5600237)
FWIW, I don't read a whole lot of contemporary political books -- don't avoid them entirely, but I generally find that even ones I like tend to be either self-serving (Obama's) or not worth the page count, even if there are some interesting/amusing stuff that would make for a few good longform articles (Halperin's Game Change would probably fit that bill).

I have to say, though -- I think I'll probably read Wolff's book.... extended excerpt beyond the tidbits thus far kicked around here.
   420. Hot Wheeling American Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5600238)
A rare recent appearance from The Yankee Clapper. Has he been down in Alabama taking yearbook forensic classes?
   421. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5600239)
It doesn't seem likely that anyone could have convinced Moore to drop out,

Nobody else, but Trump, maybe, though. Not saying it's guaranteed, but he didn't even try.

You. Don't. Know. That.
   422. Hot Wheeling American Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5600241)
They're concerned with policy issues and thus it's ideology that drives them.

Right, so they went with Mr. Policy himself. Pull the other one.
   423. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5600242)
Unsurprisingly, like Andy buried in a sea of books about the southern strategy, you didn't understand the lesson. The lesson is that people don't boil the presidential election down to side issues like "he is a sex abuser." They're concerned with policy issues and thus it's ideology that drives them.

Given that it was such a big show, I like I think I followed Moore's campaign pretty closely...

What, pray tell, "policy issues" was Moore the best choice on?

Get rid of the gay?

Jail them footballers?

Nationalized morning - Christian! - prayers at gunpoint?
   424. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5600244)

Trump convinced them that Doug Jones, the man responsible for prosecuting Eric Rudolph and two of the Birmingham church bombers, was weak on crime.
   425. Hot Wheeling American Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5600245)
@byrdinator:
Casual reminder that despite Trump’s statement blaming Bannon for losing a GOP Alabama Senate seat, Trump sided with Bannon and enthusiastically endorsed Roy Moore even after Moore was credibly accused of being a child molester

Oh? You didn’t *initially* support the credibly accused child molester? You only endorsed him repeatedly after his inappropriate conduct was reported on extensively? Congrats?
   426. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5600246)

Once more: You still don't understand the 2016 election.

They couldn't be sure what they were getting with Trump, policy-wise. But they COULD be sure what they were getting with Hillary Clinton.

And there was no way in hell they were signing up for it.

So Sam's "Hey, we just figured a bunch of Rs would stay home or vote for a third party candidate or even Hillary and thus that they would have basic common sense and basic common decency and not install a human #### stain wanna be fascist like Donald Trump into the Oval Office!!!" was simply flawed analysis.

You reduce your chances of winning future elections if you don't learn from past ones.
   427. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5600247)
Breitbart Top Story: Donald Trump Furious: Steve Bannon ‘Not Only Lost His Job, He Lost His Mind’

I love it!

I cannot imagine a better way to start the new year.

The last remaining vestiges of the Trump base - well, beyond the loyal band of Trumpkins here - turning on each other with full fury.
   428. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5600248)
#422:

#423:

I already indavertently answered both of you a couple of pages ago, using one undecided independent non-voter as a human interest data point.
If you ever boiled the resentment out of Ray, all that'd be left would be a few globules amid a pile of empty clothing.
   429. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5600249)
Unsurprisingly, like Andy buried in a sea of books about the southern strategy, you didn't understand the lesson. The lesson is that people don't boil the presidential election down to side issues like "he is a sex abuser." They're concerned with policy issues and thus it's ideology that drives them.

Given that it was such a big show, I like I think I followed Moore's campaign pretty closely...

Get rid of the gay?

Jail them footballers?

Nationalized morning - Christian! - prayers at gunpoint?

Reading is very much fundamental. See the word "presidential" up there?

Lower elections are a completely different ballgame.
   430. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5600250)

You. Don't. Know. That.

Is there an example where Donald Trump took up a position and did not make it public in some way?

Here, we have an example where he took up a position (Moore for Senate) and made it very public.

Your assumption is that Trump secretly tried (or tried to convince others) to remove Moore from the ballot for AL senate?

Given how almost everything else about that campaign gets leaked to the press (Moore's lawyer donated to Jones' campaign, for example), and how almost ANY negative about Trump (true or false) is bandied about in the media, how come there isn't even one iota of a story about him trying to get Moore off the ballot?
   431. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5600251)
Your assumption is that Trump secretly tried (or tried to convince others) to remove Moore from the ballot for AL senate?

No, I didn't assume that at all. I stated, simply, that we don't know.

(My original assumption was that Trump understood Moore wouldn't drop out. Perhaps Moore even told him this.)

432. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5600252)
I've ordered about a dozen books from Amazon or abebooks over the past month, most of them dealing with race and the gradual rise of the southern strategy over the past 80 years,

To be fair, Andy never claimed to read them, just that he ordered them.

Actually I have finished two of them, Nicole Hemmer's Messengers of the Right and Joseph Lowndes' From the New Deal to the New Right: Race and the Southern Origins of Modern Conservatism, and I'm most of the way through reading the best book ever done on my home town, Asch and Musgrove's Chocolate City: A History of Race and Democracy in the Nation's Capital.

I think it's fair to say that if David ever read even just those first two books, he wouldn't be subtracting from the sum total of human knowledge every time he opines on the subject of the southern strategy. But I guess ignorance is bliss.

The one I'm really looking forward to is Charles Wallace Collins' Whither Solid South?, a long out of print and quasi-rare 1947 book by a Southern bourbon whose thesis was that segregationists need to align themselves with Republican conservatives (and vice versa) in order to beat back the blacks and the Democratic radicals. It's a book that's nearly forgotten today, but it was the veritable "Bible" being promoted during the 1948 Dixiecrat convention, and it fact one of the few arguments made against Strom Thurmond during the convention was that he was one of the few attendees who hadn't read the book. Lowndes devotes the better part of a chapter to it,** and shows how Collins' idea was later picked up by Buckley and his National Review crowd, who were racist to the core until they finally eased off many years later.

Andy, have you read Race and the Decline of Class by Robert Huckfeldt? He was one of my favorite professors at UC Davis. His course in political dynamics was the first nonmethodological course that I took on social science modeling.

Having just looked "inside the book" on Amazon, it sounds a bit jargony for my taste, but I'll see what sort of reviews of it I can find, and keep an open mind.

** IMO the bibliography in the back of a book you trust is at least as good a way of discovering "new" books as are book review sections and magazines. Of course this practice eventually may wind up bankrupting me, but at least my wife will eventually wind up with one hell of a library. (smile)
   433. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5600253)
The comments at Breitbart are not to be missed... I mean, yeah - far too many "I just came for the popcorn" (hey, me too - now stop cluttering up the thread and let the morons, the deplorables, the racists, the cockholsters, and the jagbags fight it out).... but it's fun watching the counter charges are fakers, treason, backstabber, charlatan, etc fly.
   434. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5600254)
Unsurprisingly, like Andy buried in a sea of books about the southern strategy, you didn't understand the lesson.

Oh, I learned the lesson, sensei. You people are amoral cvnts who deserve nothing so much as a mouthful of curb.
   435. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5600255)
The comments at Breitbart are not to be missed... I mean, yeah - far too many "I just came for the popcorn" (hey, me too - now stop cluttering up the thread and let the morons, the deplorables, the racists, the cockholsters, and the jagbags fight it out).... but it's fun watching the counter charges are fakers, treason, backstabber, charlatan, etc fly.

I'm told that the presidential theater is not for entertainment.

Let's do pull the other one.
   436. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5600256)

He's not talking about anything presidential. He's talking about Trump.
   437. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5600257)

Well the former senior adviser to the POTUS owns the joint so it seems fair game.
   438. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5600260)
Here's my favorite line from that Breitbart link:

Trump also taunted Bannon for supporting Republican senate candidate Roy Moore in the Alabama Senate race and losing to the Democrat.

As opposed to Trump, who campaigned for the father of Roy Moore's children.
   439. Hot Wheeling American Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5600262)
Is there an example where Donald Trump took up a position and did not make it public in some way?

How about when he told Sean Hannity in private that he was against the war in Iraq? Brave and totally true.
   440. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5600263)

It's not supposed to be... but your boy made it so.

Who am I to pass up an entertaining floor show?

It's for the best. Let all the different flavors of stupid and awful cull the American herd themselves and the rest of us will have that much easier a time starting fresh with fewer slack-jawed deplorables whose fee-fees need attending.

Sounds like a win-win to me.
   441. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5600264)
They had various ideas for postponing the election if necessary, thereby allowing a new person on the ballot. Again, nothing guaranteed, but they didn't even try, because Trump wasn't behind them.

None of those "ideas" for postponing the election were workable. Most were fanciful schemes that were inconsistent with state law or the Constitution. They were about a half-step from burning down the state election board and claiming that the whole process would have to start over. As bad as Moore might have been, conspiring to block a valid election would have been worse, which is why the Alabama GOP didn't go down that path. Similarly, it wasn't that long ago that Illinois Democrats had to live with Lyndon Larouche backers running for Lt. Governor & Attorney General when they defeated a a couple of party hacks in the primary. Unsurprisingly, they lost in the general election, as did the Democratic candidate for Governor.
   442. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5600265)
Trumpkins do seem to be winning vs the Bannonites - looks like 3-1 to 4-1 in favor of Trump.

Might be time to reference the old Churchill chestnut -- If Hitler invaded hell, I would at least make favourable reference to the devil in the house of commons.
   443. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5600266)
"Steve Bannon, who held a Security Council clearance and co-wrote my Muslim travel ban, had nothing to do with me or my Presidency."

444. . . . . . . Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5600268)
The Strand is a lot like Second Story in DC, in that 90% to 99% of their floor stock is either common or forgettable or both, and anything they get outside of review copies that doesn't fall into those categories gets sent upstairs to go online. OTOH if you don't mind paying top dollar, a visit to their Rare Book room is probably worthwhile, but that's about the only way you're going to see any out of print books that aren't run of the mill. Whatever I may think about the way they run their business, they're not stupid and they don't make many pricing mistakes.

But who cares about Strand pricing? Books are so cheap that it's inconsequential. Like, the last 3 wine books I bought from the strand, all more than 30 years old and impossible to skim-before-buying at any other store in the country, were between $20 and $30 @ the Strand. I'm sure they could be found on abebooks for $10. OOOOOH I SAVED $30 IN SIX MONTHS LOOK HOW SMART I AM. It's an easy call to give the Strand your money to keep that resource available.
   445. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5600269)
The comments at Breitbart are not to be missed.

Poor deplorables. They're not sure who they're supposed to deplore!

[EDIT: In the half-minute while I was posting this, the blue bar rolled up from zero to "Show 178 New Comments." Yikes.]
   446. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5600270)

It's not supposed to be... but your boy made it so.

Who am I to pass up an entertaining floor show?

Oh, well, Misirlou called me an idiot early in the morning for deriving entertainment from Trump's NK tweet. Glad to see that my view that it's entertainment has been validated and agreed with, however belatedly.
   447. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5600271)
Similarly, it wasn't that long ago that Illinois Democrats had to live with Lyndon Larouche backers running for Lt. Governor & Attorney General when they defeated a a couple of party hacks in the primary.

Given your lack of morals in your party, I understand how this bit of history would confuse you -- but in fact, they didn't.

Adlai Stevenson III basically threw the rematch and together with what would have been the non-LaRouche Democratic slate, all ran on the 3rd party "Solidarity" ticket -- basically ensuring losses for the 'official' D ticket.... Indeed - Stevenson himself actually won the Democratic nomination for governor, but refused to run on the same ticket with the LaRouchies.
   448. PepTech Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5600276)
Ray, no one is suggesting that Hillary winning the popular vote - which is a true fact that happened - means she should be President. The President is decided by the Electoral College, which Trump won. See?

You keep CLAIMING that "we" think (as if "we" ever agree on anything) HRC winning the popular "rebuts the results" of the EC, but you're making that up in your head, AND THEN making mocking comments about the dumb conclusion you think you've drawn^. Which just makes you look silly. -er.

^ And which, were the roles reversed, you would stridently claim "we" were LIARS for misrepresenting your position.
   449. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5600277)
Big uproar in Fairfax and Loudoun County as residents who prepaid their taxes are trying to get their money back. See below for Loudoun’s decision. Lofl:

The Loudoun County Treasurer’s Office is providing an update on issues related to the recent prepayments of 2018 property taxes.

The Treasurer’s Office has obtained a legal opinion from the Office of the County Attorney stating that refunds of “voluntary” payments for taxes are not refundable. The Treasurer’s Office will not refund payments made for the 2018 tax year. However, some taxpayers made multiple year tax payments and any payments made for 2019 and beyond will be treated as overpayments and will be returned to those taxpayers if they make a written request.

“We will return the overpayments once the levy has been determined by the Board of Supervisors which is typically done by mid-April,” said Loudoun County Treasurer Roger Zurn. “Taxpayers who wish to have the overpayments sent back should send an email stating their desire for their overpayment for future years to be returned along with their name and account number to: taxes@loudoun.gov by no later than March 31, 2018. We anticipate having the money returned to those requesting it by the end of May.”

Between Wednesday, December 27 and Friday, December 29, 2017, Loudoun County had 2,298 taxpayers pre-pay a total of $11,209,800. The Internal Revenue Service issued guidance last week that unless the taxes were assessed prior to December 31, 2017, these payments may not be deductible.

Zurn said, “This is not the final word, however, as there appears to be a movement within Congress to bring a little more specificity to this guidance and thus this situation is still fluid. Taxpayers will want to consult with their tax professional for any clarification concerning what may arise.”

Zurn added that with the passage of the new federal tax bill, there was much confusion as to the pre-payment of taxes. “Just as most taxpayers, we were reacting to the late passage of the bill and the uncertainties that arose,” he said. “By Virginia Code, local governments must accept pre-payment. Taxpayers may rest assured that the monies have been properly accounted for and posted to the proper accounts. We regret any issues that may have arisen from these uncertainties.”

Could it go any other way.

Governments will keep tax payments for as long as they can, and there was enough confusion to allow them to do just that. They feverishly re-programmed their systems to accept payments, knowing full well that the payments might not serve the purpose they were intended for. But this way the state governments get to derive interest from the millions of extra tax revenue collected, even if they have to give it back in 6 months.

At this point people will be lucky if the state doesn't declare that the extra monies paid were GIFTS to the state. You ARE allowed to pay more in taxes if you want. Were the people who paid extra in taxes SPECIFICALLY DIRECTING that the money was not a gift but was simply a pre-payment? I hope so.
   450. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5600279)
Oh, well, Misirlou called me an idiot early in the morning for deriving entertainment from Trump's NK tweet. Glad to see that my view that it's entertainment has been validated and agreed with, however belatedly.

Because POTUS daring Kim to prove that his nuclear aresenal works and this little cat fight between Bannon and Trump supporters are equally harmless.

Idiot.
   451. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5600281)
Today, Paul Manafort filed suit against Robert Mueller, Rod Rosenstein, and the U.S. Department of Justice. His complaint is that the charges against him are outside the scope of the investigation. Sounds like a winning premise. So it looks like this really will all be over before the New Year.

(*Year to be determined.)
   452. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5600283)
Never had much luck finding stuff at the Strand. The Barnes & Noble Sale Annex, which was over on 5th Ave across from their textbook outlet, was far superior. In the early 80s I'd usually spend at least one Saturday a month there, generally come home with at least 8 or 10 worthwhile books, pretty much all in the one to five dollar range. But they kept "redesigning" (ie, shrinking) the place, until it finally vanished.
   453. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5600284)

Yes, because you see -- there's a distinct difference between nuclear dick measuring and the particular flavor of palace intrigue now turning into a conflagration.

I could spend all day with random samplings...

I am not pleased by Bannons statements and I don't like Trumps reply.
What the f.....does it mean?

It means you're the exact idiot many people said you are!

Bannon you are really confusing one day you are pro Trump the next day you act like a Soros shill can you please choose sides and stay there

Soros! Drink!

The left, in their degenerate bathhouses, abortion mills, prisons and sleazy salons, celebrate this recent development

Celebrate ain't the half of it!

Trump is now burning his base. This is the end. Bye Bye

Time to invest in hemlock futures!

Trump needs to work this out.Bannon should go to wash.Trump is loyal to family but bannon is a rock for change.Trump be careful I am from Michigan and we do want the swamp drained not worked with

I agree! A cage match! On the Mall!

I love our President.

I don’t understand why Bannon would go against President Trump. He is our only hope to make things better which he IS doing.

Mmmmm! Mmmm!!! Delicious Deplorable Tears!

454. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5600286)
Never had much luck finding stuff at the Strand.

I never go in there looking for anything specific. I browse, or pick a topic area. And then the fruits are plentiful.

I got some good Bill James stuff from there -- old Abstracts -- back in the day, i.e., before you could get anything specific you wanted via Amazon.
   455. Lassus Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:28 PM (#5600287)
Never had much luck finding stuff at the Strand.

I can pretty much say I never LOOKED for anything in particular at the Strand in the cumulative weeks I spent in there. Pretty much always left with something, though.
   456. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5600288)
Lil Trump joins the fray!

Is this what meth feels like? If so - I get it now...
   457. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5600289)
   458. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5600290)

But who cares about Strand pricing? Books are so cheap that it's inconsequential. Like, the last 3 wine books I bought from the strand, all more than 30 years old and impossible to skim-before-buying at any other store in the country, were between $20 and $30 @ the Strand. I'm sure they could be found on abebooks for $10. OOOOOH I SAVED $30 IN SIX MONTHS LOOK HOW SMART I AM. It's an easy call to give the Strand your money to keep that resource available.

Hey, I'm not knocking browsing, and if I lived in New York I'm sure I'd be going to the Strand fairly often. All I'm saying is that IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR PARTICULAR BOOKS, AND IF THESE BOOKS ARE OUT OF PRINT AND HARD TO FIND, you'll be spending a lot more than six months trying to find most of them at the Strand or any other used book store. Don't confuse the two points. I'm not looking on abebooks or Amazon for books that I could find at Barnes & Noble or Second Story (the mini-version of the Strand in DC), because they seldom if ever get them in stock, and if they do, they go straight online rather than be put out for everyday browsers. For the kind of books I'm often looking for, going online is usually the only option----and for Christ's sake, they usually get here in less than a week, and I don't have Amazon Prime.
   459. Hot Wheeling American Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5600291)
The left, in their degenerate bathhouses, abortion mills, prisons and sleazy salons

lmao
   460. Traderdave Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5600292)
Sounds like Bannon will sing so long to Mueller that he'll need an apartment across the street from the investigation.
   461. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5600293)
Adlai Stevenson III basically threw the rematch and together with what would have been the non-LaRouche Democratic slate, all ran on the 3rd party "Solidarity" ticket --

Yet, Dems didn't try to throw the LaRouchies off the Democratic ballot line, or postpone the election, because those weren't legal options, or even viable politically. As was the case with Moore. Again, there are no good options when a "bad" candidate wins the primary - you're screwed.
   462. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5600294)
Sarah Sanders is a treat.
   463. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5600295)

A rare recent appearance from The Yankee Clapper. Has he been down in Alabama taking yearbook forensic classes?
Speaking of which, SBB seems to have slunk off.
   464. PepTech Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5600296)
That probably is what you think, but you're wrong.

Trump^ tweeting that "ours is bigger" is not cause for entertainment, I suppose excluding black comedy. And those who think presidential politics is nothing else but popcorn fare. Serious sane people know better.

Breitbart commenters^^ consuming their own young *is a different thing* and is, in fact, cause for entertainment.

^ AKA, POTUS, the Leader of the Free World.
^^ None of whom are POTUS. Although I suppose it wouldn't be surprising if that last quote in #453 was from a DJT account...
   465. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5600297)
I can pretty much say I never LOOKED for anything in particular at the Strand in the cumulative weeks I spent in there. Pretty much always left with something, though.

And that's exactly why I'm glad that the Strand is still around, and I wish they had a DC location, as Second Story is pathetic.

The irony is that when I had my own shop, customers like you were exactly the type I was looking to attract, while customers like what I am now---always looking for a particular book---used to irritate me to no end.
   466. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5600298)
Who is "poverty-stricken rioting nation"?

I never understand why people change their handles and think we can always immediately follow who they are/were.

467. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5600299)
TBF to Sanders, some of these reporters are clown shows themselves. If you have to give a 90 second exposition for the context of your question then pick another one.

I never understand why people change their handles and think we can always immediately follow who they are/were.

First time I've changed it in over 5 years here. The phrase was so well crafted I adopted it as my handle. Kudos to you. I think most people can guess who I am.
   468. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5600300)

You. Don't. Know. That.
Sure I do. If it involved ordinary people, I'd just say that it would have leaked if he had. But since it involves Trump, he would've been tweeting it loudly if he had. At least after the fact ("I told Moore to get out, but he wouldn't listen! Cost us a seat because he wasn't as smart as me! Sad!") if not before ("Perv Moore needs to go!")
   469. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5600302)
Yet, Dems didn't try to throw the LaRouchies off the Democratic ballot line, or postpone the election, because those weren't legal options, or even viable politically. As was the case with Moore. Again, there are no good options when a "bad" candidate wins the primary - you're screwed.

Apparently, you don't read so well either -- because there was an option.

Pull party support from the ticket, slap together a quixotic temporary party -- virtually assured of losing -- and do better next time.

Again - the top of that particular ticket, could have even kept his spot on the D ballot... He didn't get knocked off by a LaRouchie - and the 1986 race was a rematch of the 1982 race that was razor thin. But - Stevenson and the Dems basically tanked the entire ticket, including the governor's mansion - rather than just run on the same ticket with the deplorables.

Like I said, given your party and your character - I understand how this doesn't compute with you.... but it's still what actually happened.
   470. BDC Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5600303)
The bookstore I miss in New York is Librairie de France, which used to be in Rockefeller Center. It was slightly schizophrenic. Upstairs there were a few new French books, the selection kept reasonably up to date, plus souvenirs and cute French stuff. Downstairs was a bizarre heap of dusty stuff. They carried some very nice high-end editions and some expensive reference books, and they also sort of threw onto big tables all sorts of French books in various stages of crumbling away altogether. I think they were bitter when they ultimately lost their lease. There is now a nice small French bookshop on Fifth Avenue, not far from the Metropolitan Museum, called Albertine. It is subsidized by some sort of French cultural council, has a good backlist selection and a few tables of new stuff, and looks pretty viable for the long run.

Similarly disappeared is SF Vanni on 12th Street. They had a huge selection of Italian books. Apparently, the store itself not only never broke up, but still exists as a kind of ghost entity, and they open it every once in a while as a "pop-up" and sell off some more of the books. Bookstores are very strange places when done right.
   471. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5600305)
Sanders just admitted that Trump had numerous conversations with Bannon post WH job. Interesting.
   472. dlf Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5600307)
#461, et al: Within living memory even for those of us younger than Andy there is reasonably on-point precedent in Alabama that the party can ignore the results of the primary. In the mid 80s, Bill Baxley and Charlie Graddick had a hotly contested primary for Governor that spilled over to the courts amidst allegations of cross-party voting. In the end, rather than redo the primary, the D's simply named the runner up their nominee. If the principle that a child molester is a bridge too far (even for those willing to support someone who was twice removed from office, pandered to racists, is deeply and virulently homophobic, doesn't believe in the constitution, etc.) was important, DJT and the State party officials could have taken steps to remove him; that they(*) chose to support him instead suggests instead that as long as the person has an R in the party line, there is no position or personality trait that goes too far.

(*)Certainly not unanimously. Conspicuously, Richard Shelby announced a week before the election that he submitted a write-in ballot for an unspecified person. I applaud my former (over 30 years now) boss's act that quite possibly was the proverbial straw that broke the back of the heinous Moore.
   473. Hysterical & Useless Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5600308)
Oh, I never went to the Strand looking for anything in particular. I'd have my general topic areas--French Revolution, Old & Middle English lit, stuff dealing with Shakespeare or Beckett--but they just didn't seem to have much that was both interesting enough to pay for and not already in my collection. Though that may be where I found a copy of Klaeber's edition of Beowulf, which is still an important edition to have if you're interested in the topic, even though it's older than I am.
   474. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5600310)
Sarah Sanders is a treat.

Yes, the game of Gotcha played with White House press secretaries is always good fun.

Just don't dare ever think it's entertainment! You just enjoy it because you're trying to learn the news of the day from the White House.
   475. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5600311)
Sure I do. If it involved ordinary people, I'd just say that it would have leaked if he had. But since it involves Trump, he would've been tweeting it loudly if he had. At least after the fact ("I told Moore to get out, but he wouldn't listen! Cost us a seat because he wasn't as smart as me! Sad!") if not before ("Perv Moore needs to go!")

But I thought you said he was a liar about everything. So he should have tweeted that anyway.

Your narratives are colliding.
   476. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5600312)
First time I've changed it in over 5 years here. The phrase was so well crafted I adopted it as my handle. Kudos to you. I think most people can guess who I am.

FWIW, I have no idea who you are/were. Same goes for Hot Wheeling American. But then I don't play the meta game so well.
   477. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5600313)

Trumpkins do seem to be winning vs the Bannonites - looks like 3-1 to 4-1 in favor of Trump.

Might be time to reference the old Churchill chestnut -- If Hitler invaded hell, I would at least make favourable reference to the devil in the house of commons.
I'm a bit confused as to which is which in that analogy.
   478. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5600314)

I know I crafted your handle but sadly I don't know who you are.

Not sure that I ever did, frankly. But you running around here brilliantly thinking everyone knows who you are is a hoot. You sure showed me!!
   479. Lassus Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5600315)
FWIW, I have no idea who you are/were. Same goes for Hot Wheeling American.

Likewise.
   480. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5600316)
Never had much luck finding stuff at the Strand. The Barnes & Noble Sale Annex, which was over on 5th Ave across from their textbook outlet, was far superior. In the early 80s I'd usually spend at least one Saturday a month there, generally come home with at least 8 or 10 worthwhile books, pretty much all in the one to five dollar range. But they kept "redesigning" (ie, shrinking) the place, until it finally vanished.

That B&N Annex was terrific while it lasted. It had the best remainders I've ever seen in one location, other than the New England Mobile Book Fair and the Daedalus Warehouse outlet in Columbia (MD). And when they'd bought out one particularly great collection right at the time I was about to open my own shop, I bought half a dozen copies of Margaret Bourke-White's Dear Fatherland, Rest Quietly, all in dust jackets, for all of $6.00 apiece. That's Bourke-White's best book, and arguably the best journalistic account of the liberation of the Death Camps, and when I sold them all at my shop I made six customers for life.

Oh, and here's the Strand's listing of that book.
   481. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5600317)
Bwahahahaha.

Checking out some of the non-Breitbartian Trumpkin locales -- they seem to all be going with "fake news!" and "lies!".... though, I'm not sure how a statement reprinted verbatim from Trump can be a "lie" and if Bannon was disputing the account, I wouldn't think Breitbart would be wall-to-wall with the stuff (5 of the top 6 stories are about Bannon's "treason" accusation and the Trump response).

If you don't believe in karma, a sudden whirlwind of cannibalism like this sure has to make you wonder.
   482. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5600319)
Hot Wheeling American too. No clue on my end.
   483. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5600320)

I'm a bit confused as to which is which in that analogy.

Good point.

Maybe this is a case where you don't actually offer either side aid - but just drop off the hardware somewhere in neutral territory.
   484. Lassus Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5600321)
Andy, I can't believe I haven't asked this prior, but did you ever run across Sandy Smith as he ran the Antiquarian Book Fair in the city?
   485. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5600322)
Similarly, it wasn't that long ago that Illinois Democrats had to live with Lyndon Larouche backers running for Lt. Governor & Attorney General when they defeated a a couple of party hacks in the primary.
As Zonk notes, that's not correct. Also, it was over 30 years ago, which to me kind of doesn't fit with "wasn't that long ago."

None of those "ideas" for postponing the election were workable. Most were fanciful schemes that were inconsistent with state law or the Constitution. They were about a half-step from burning down the state election board and claiming that the whole process would have to start over. As bad as Moore might have been, conspiring to block a valid election would have been worse,
I'm not sure in what way it would've been "worse," or how postponing an arbitrarily-scheduled election is "blocking" it, but your comments miss the point; those are things they could've explored if they convinced Moore to drop out, as a way to try to salvage the election for the GOP rather than letting Jones run unopposed.
   486. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 03, 2018 at 03:59 PM (#5600323)
I'm not sure in what way it would've been "worse," or how postponing an arbitrarily-scheduled election is "blocking" it, but your comments miss the point; those are things they could've explored if they convinced Moore to drop out, as a way to try to salvage the election for the GOP rather than letting Jones run unopposed.

I'm pretty sure the plan was to let Moore get elected and then kick him out, start the process all over again.
   487. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5600324)
In non-political news --

I see Intel has announced a significant security bug in its latest chips -- and the OS workaround to plug the problem is almost sure to lead to a significant reduction in processor performance.... Intel's stock is plummeting.

Sigh.

I suppose one day, maybe I ought to give AMD a shot...
   488. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5600326)
The bookstore I miss in New York is Librairie de France, which used to be in Rockefeller Center. It was slightly schizophrenic. Upstairs there were a few new French books, the selection kept reasonably up to date, plus souvenirs and cute French stuff. Downstairs was a bizarre heap of dusty stuff. They carried some very nice high-end editions and some expensive reference books, and they also sort of threw onto big tables all sorts of French books in various stages of crumbling away altogether. I think they were bitter when they ultimately lost their lease. There is now a nice small French bookshop on Fifth Avenue, not far from the Metropolitan Museum, called Albertine. It is subsidized by some sort of French cultural council, has a good backlist selection and a few tables of new stuff, and looks pretty viable for the long run.

My favorite Manhattan shop was New York Bound, which for several decades was in Rockefeller Center with a killer rent, meaning low low low. The woman who owned it was one of the purest New York types I've ever met, and there was scarcely a book on New York City history that they didn't stock at least once or twice a year. She got a major writeup in the Times when her lease ended and she had to go online.

But the best shop for bargains was a tiny place in Queens (I think Astoria, but it was many years ago) called B&J books. Best 20th century history selection in the 5 boroughs, and all at rock bottom prices. Unfortunately the owner passed away about 25 years ago, and it was a one man show with no surviving family members. I'd go in there looking for books for resale and wind up keeping many of them for my own collection.
   489. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5600327)
. . . because there was an option.

Again, the point is that there were no good options - Stevenson still lost, but he would have lost running with the LaRouchies on the Dem line, too. He made a pragmatic choice to distance himself, hoping to be politically insulated, but it didn't work for him, as typically happens when choosing exclusively from bad options.
   490. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5600328)
Breitbart is a flood of, er, thoughts.
this story is a DISTRACTION form the LEFT

trump likes playing the press ,, gets then going nuts ,, this might be a distraction he threw up so he can accomplish something else

bannon wasn't there, he knows no more than the rest of us

Koo-koo versus Cocoa Puff! It Begins!

REMEMBER THIS MAGA PATRIOTS? Steve Bannon was in charge of Breitbart when Breitbart reporter Michelle Fields and Breitbart Editor Ben Shapiro tried to destroy Trump's presidential bid with the whole phony arm grabbing scandal. It would have worked if not for the ceiling camera video cameras showing that it didn't happen.

Boycott Brietbart FAKE NEWS now. How dare they question the loyalty of our dear leader!

If Trump wants to shut down CNN, ABC, MSNBC and others, he probably feels he won't have much of a problem shutting down Breitbart.

The treasonous rules of engagement under Obozo are now history. Die mooslim pigs, die!

The wall is in the processed of being built, illegals are being deported, border crossing down 75%, cut taxes & regulations, rebuilt our military, Obamacare repealed, jobs are coming back, stock market at all time high & most importantly, we could all now say Merry Christmas

“Even if you don’t think it’s not treasonous” Bannon is saying he thinks it’s not treasonous

trump is all in on selling bannons book

So chief strategists are mere staffers now?

Trump defeated 16 GOP candidates without any input from TRAITOR Bannon.

Prez Trump and Bannon have organized a headfake.

I think it’s good. Now we get to run the disclosure clock and insane corruption, the Foundation, Uranium One, Cassandra, classified emails and Ptech... were barely getting started. Mueller & co are great for anti-swamp info roll

I don't like this...somethin isn't right.

And yet you are here with no place else to go.

I'll quote Don Jr. here " I Love it!"
   491. Hot Wheeling American Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:03 PM (#5600329)
FWIW, I have no idea who you are/were. Same goes for Hot Wheeling American. But then I don't play the meta game so well.

Thirded! Not about HWA, I know who I am, but don't know about the poverty guy. But aside from showing up to a softball game or two, I've mostly lurked (and still mostly, aside from occasional tweet-dumps). Needed some outlet for questioning/hating deplorables, so here I am. But didn't have much of a presence here where I thought changing my handle would register.
   492. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5600333)
I suppose one day, maybe I ought to give AMD a shot...

I love my i5 6600k but if things keep going they way they are going over at Intel in a few years my next build is going to be AMD. Intel seems adrift and rested too long on their laurels, including their superior fab process that AMD has now almost approximated.

If you can't figure out who I am (or anybody else for that matter) that's fine. It's good to read posts with a fresh perspective.
   493. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5600334)
Again, the point is that there were no good options - Stevenson still lost, but he would have lost running with the LaRouchies on the Dem line, too. He made a pragmatic choice to distance himself, hoping to be politically insulated, but it didn't work for him, as typically happens when choosing exclusively from bad options.

Hoping to be "politically insulated"?

1986 was his last run for public office - his last even so much as sniffing a run for public office. He'd been in the Senate for two terms and this was his second run for governor. He wasn't going to be running for anything again regardless.

I overstate things a bit - in that the federal candidates still ran on the D ticket - it was basically the state offices that vacated, but I'll say again.... Stevenson could have stayed atop the D ticket - and instead, pushed for Solidarity on the two spots that the loathesome LaRouchies wrested. But he didn't.
   494. BDC Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5600335)
Hot Wheeling, you are Fatty Cow Who Need Two Seats, IIRC. If not, forgive me for thinking you are some fatty cow who need two seats. I do not recognize poverty-stricken, unfortunately.
   495. Lassus Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5600337)
If you can't figure out who I am (or anybody else for that matter) that's fine. It's good to read posts with a fresh perspective.

You may think this, which is more accurately fine; but in general it's actually kind of annoying.
   496. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5600338)
Twitter comes alive

Mike Morse on Twitter:
Notice that Trump never asked to compare nuclear buttons with Obama
   497. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5600339)
Andy, I can't believe I haven't asked this prior, but did you ever run across Sandy Smith as he ran the Antiquarian Book Fair in the city?

The only Sandy Smith I ever knew spelled her name Sandi, and she was my first college GF.

But if you're talking about the shop that was in Chelsea (I think 23rd St.), I got one of my greatest bargains ever there for the bargain price of $125.00: The Free-Thinkers' Pictorial Text-Book, a huge 1890 book of anti-Papist and atheist cartoons, many of which I made into posters and wound up making a fair amount of money on. Here's one particular bestseller that may have been my favorite of the entire lot, and here's one that was obviously the inspiration for one of the more memorable National Lampoon covers.
   498. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5600340)

I see Intel has announced a significant security bug in its latest chips -- and the OS workaround to plug the problem is almost sure to lead to a significant reduction in processor performance.... Intel's stock is plummeting.
Googling, it appears that while nobody knows for certain, the problem wouldn't be limited to its latest chips, but to all chips of recent years. Also, Intel claims that AMD chips are also affected.
   499. The Good Face Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5600341)
Poverty-stricken is Madvillain.

Almost everybody here is immediately recognizable from posting style alone.
   500. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 03, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5600342)
Speaking of book shopping... been looking for a good WWII history book. Been eying Clash of the Titans for a different perspective (i.e., presents the Eastern Front from the Soviet view). Any thoughts on that text or other WWII recommendations?
Page 5 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.