Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 01, 2018

OTP 1 January 2018 - Athlete boycotts of White House didn’t start with Donald Trump — but he sure helped

Amateur teams began going to the White House as far back as the mid-1860s, while the first championship winning pro baseball team attended in 1925. That was the Washington Senators, winners of the previous year’s World Series. They were hosted by then-president Calvin Coolidge.

Teams that later followed include the Super Bowl-winning Pittsburgh Steelers. The squad was on hand for the same ceremony in 1980 with then-president Jimmy Carter as baseball’s Pittsburgh Pirates. In June 1991, the Penguins were the first NHL team to visit after capturing a title, meeting George H.W. Bush.

Bird’s decision to skip the visit in 1984 — usually consisting of handshakes and photo ops — is said to be the first snub of significance, even though he didn’t give political reasons.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 01, 2018 at 03:22 PM | 1771 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: champions, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   601. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:12 PM (#5600498)
Flip
   602. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:12 PM (#5600499)
Question for the Trumpkins out there. The WH is now claiming that the guy who had a permamant seat on the National Security Council was essentially a nobody who had no influence and no responsibilities. How ####### stupid do they think you are?
   603. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:15 PM (#5600501)
Fire at the Clintons' Chappaqua Compound. Printouts of those missing e-mails? Bill's little black book? Slush Fund records? The losses may be beyond measure.
   604. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:16 PM (#5600502)
Dumb orange numb nuts dissolves his dumb stupid election fraud committee.
   605. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:20 PM (#5600503)
Dumb orange numb nuts dissolves his dumb stupid election fraud committee.

How much money was wasted on this pointless exercise, and who can we bill for a refund?
   606. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:21 PM (#5600504)
The WH is now claiming that the guy who had a permamant seat on the National Security Council was essentially a nobody who had no influence and no responsibilities.

Bannon did not have a "permanent seat" on the National Security Council, and Trump actually removed him from the NSC on April 5, 2017, in a widely reported action.
   607. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:26 PM (#5600506)
Ha!

How'd he get there to start with Clapper? Grow like fungus? Spring forth from your orange boy's big swinging red button one day?

You ####.
   608. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:28 PM (#5600507)
Why does clapper love Trump so much?
   609. Omineca Greg Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:28 PM (#5600508)
Do Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff have any character notes except not being Gryffindor or Slytherin?

According to The Sorting Hat...

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind

and

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true,
And unafraid of toil

So, to boil it down:

Gryffindor: Brave and gallant
Slytherin: Playing the angles
Hufflepuff: Loyal and hardworking
Ravenclaw: Intellectual and studious

I don't know what the best streets/sheets combo would be. I think being Slytherin in the sheets would be bad, but then again, that's what you'd expect a Hufflepuff to say. It's kind of a Ginger/Mary Ann thing.
   610. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:30 PM (#5600509)
Bannon did not have a "permanent seat" on the National Security Council,

Well, using the term permanent literally, no one has a permanent seat. I was using the term in the sense that while he was on the council, he was able to attend every meeting and did not need a special invitation, as many other members do. If permament is the wrong term, feel free to substitute the appropriate term, but that's what I was using it for, and that part is true.

The second part of your quote is irrelevant. Of course he was removed at some point. No one thinks or is claiming that he's still on the NSC.
   611. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:33 PM (#5600510)
Breitbart still going. Now gleefully reporting the wisdom of Chuck Todd and Jake Tapper while the deplorables continue to lose their ####. This #### just dos not stop being awesome.
   612. Shredder Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:33 PM (#5600511)
Thanks, Howie. We found out a few months ago, but the diagnosis takes a while to sink in. Not very often the vision of your next 40 years changes overnight.
   613. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:35 PM (#5600512)
Though - someone actually ON the NSC calling out the family Trump for treason would seem to be the next logical step.
   614. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:36 PM (#5600513)
The scary thing with the first incarnation of the Trump leadership team was that of the senior advisers (Trump, Kushner, Priebus, Conway, Bannon, Miller), Bannon had the most national security expertise and experience (aside from the NSA). Spicer had the second-most (current member of the Navy Reserve).

Totally inappropriate for a political director to be in those meetings, but he often wasn't the least qualified person in the room (particularly if Trump himself was present).
   615. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:39 PM (#5600514)
The reason these idiots pretend to like Trump is because they hate Clinton and Obama and he ain't them. That's all. And they call it TDS! Morons. Dancing Monkeys. #### them.

Edit
This is in response to 608.
   616. Omineca Greg Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:39 PM (#5600515)
Gosh, thanks Andy.
   617. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:41 PM (#5600516)
Has anyone mentioned the "no more than semi-literate" passage? That might be my favorite.

I just preordered a book for the first time.
   618. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 03, 2018 at 08:45 PM (#5600517)
I'm not as well versed in 3D chess as some. Could this whole Bannon dustup be deliberate by both parties and have an alternate purpose?
   619. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 03, 2018 at 09:03 PM (#5600519)
Gosh, thanks Andy.

If you want to understand what I was trying to get at, get a hold of The Chronicles of Clovis and / or any of the books on this page. You won't regret it, I guarantee you, but watch out for pogroms and flying bricks.
   620. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 03, 2018 at 09:07 PM (#5600520)
@618 - No. (Assuming it's not snark.)

As the big book excerpt today reiterated, Trump had no intention of winning the White House. So he had no plan to transition or any program to implement. His entire gambit was to generate a 100 million eyeballs to watch his "Trump News Network" and scream about how Crooked Hillary had *stolen their country.*

When they won, Bannon's first instinct was to take what he assumed would be a short time in office (as a member of the campaign he was fully aware of how impeachable the Trump team's actions were) and actually implement as much of his revolutionary agenda as possible. When he got there, he was out maneuvered by Ivanka and Jared, allying with Pence. The former were desperate to salvage the Trump brand and their social standing in Manhattan. The latter was interested in pushing a Christian Dominionist agenda (which required NOT tearing down the apparatus of the US state in a fit of burn-it-all revolutionary fervor.)

Upon losing that internal battle, Bannon stated explicitly that he was going to return to Breitbart and "wage war" on "the Democrats in the administration." Meaning Jared and Ivanka.

This fight is absolutely real. Bannon is out for blood for being shivved by the family members.
   621. Greg K Posted: January 03, 2018 at 09:17 PM (#5600521)
Trying to catch up with book recommendations. Anyone have any 19th century European diplomacy suggestions? I read AJP Taylor's "Struggle for Mastery in Europe" in high school and absolutely loved it. But it's got to be 50+ years old now.
   622. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 03, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5600522)
That said, it's worth noting (as this Slate piece does) that the source of this gossip is not the most reliable of sources.
   623. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 03, 2018 at 09:33 PM (#5600523)
I remember all my wives
Prenups don't stop pubic lice
A Moscow kind of man
Spciey's face in the window
Crying in the night
The night goes into -

Morning just another tweet
Klanny people wear white sheets
Looking in their eyes
I see a memory
I never realized
How happy you made me, oh Bannon

Well you came and don't shave, now muckraking
But I sent you away, oh Bannon
And you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
And I need you today, oh Bannon

I'm standing on this ledge of mine
I love it! just that one time
Caught up in a world far beyond my climbing
The tears are in my eyes
And nothing is rhyming, Oh Bannon

Well you came and don't shave, now muckraking
But I sent you away, oh Bannon
And you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
And I need you today, oh Bannon

624. BDC Posted: January 03, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5600526)
Dumb orange numb nuts dissolves his dumb stupid election fraud committee

While there have been isolated cases of people voting illegally, and many voter rolls often contain outdated data, there is no evidence voter fraud is a widespread problem in the United States or has impacted election results.

A study by a Loyola Law School professor found that out of 1 billion votes cast in all American elections between 2000 and 2014, there were only 31 known cases of impersonation fraud.

That excerpt is from noted TDS sufferers FOX News.
   625. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 03, 2018 at 09:43 PM (#5600528)
That said, it's worth noting (as this Slate piece does) that the source of this gossip is not the most reliable of sources.

Meh - it could have been authored by Tommy Flanagan for all I care.... so long as means two of the worst people on the planet go for each other's throats, it's all good.
   626. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 03, 2018 at 09:46 PM (#5600529)
While there have been isolated cases of people voting illegally, and many voter rolls often contain outdated data, there is no evidence voter fraud is a widespread problem in the United States or has impacted election results.

A study by a Loyola Law School professor found that out of 1 billion votes cast in all American elections between 2000 and 2014, there were only 31 known cases of impersonation fraud.

That excerpt is from noted TDS sufferers FOX News.

Does anyone think for even a second that this will stop Republicans from howling about "voter fraud"? Does anyone think for even a second that it'll shut up the commentators on Fox News?
   627. Shredder Posted: January 03, 2018 at 09:58 PM (#5600531)
Does anyone think for even a second that this will stop Republicans from howling about "voter fraud"? Does anyone think for even a second that it'll shut up the commentators on Fox News?
No, because the purpose of their howling has nothing to do with stamping out voter fraud and everything to do with stopping the wrong type of people (i.e., the browns and the poors) from voting.
   628. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 03, 2018 at 10:13 PM (#5600534)
NY Governor Cuomo's Administration apparently thought the 1st Amendment didn't apply to food trucks - they were wrong:
A Capital Region food truck as notable for its controversial name as for its fusion barbecue fare scored a significant victory at the end of a years-long legal battle with Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration, which had banned the Wandering Dago from serving its offerings on the Empire State Plaza.

A Wednesday decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit concluded that a lower court erred in granting summary judgment to the defendants, including several top officials at the state Office of General Services, which oversees the program that licenses food vendors to park on the Plaza during the warm months.

Instead, the three-judge panel said summary judgment should have gone to the Wandering Dago. "It is undisputed that defendants denied WD's applications solely because of its ethnic‐slur branding," the court said in a 32-page decision that called the state's action unconstitutional "viewpoint discrimination."

The result seems to be required by the recent Supreme Court decision in The Slants case, which was unanimous on its core ruling.
   629. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 03, 2018 at 10:37 PM (#5600536)
Mostly just for the idle amusement of wondering who the GOP Senator was (I would have to assume either Flake or Sasse?) ---

I mean, it's always been a stupid path.... because it requires Pence and just like the ##### grabber tape - I'm sure Trump could run naked through Arlington National Cemetery, frantically pushing a toy red button "people tell him" launches nukes, pooping on tombstones as he went -- and Pence would just deliver another another ##### "Golly, I think it was wrong to do that but after consulting with god and mommy..."

Still, fun to see it written about.
   630. Morty Causa Posted: January 03, 2018 at 10:38 PM (#5600537)
Gov. Cuomo says New York will sue the U.S. to block the tax overhaul. Talk about your Hail Marys.
   631. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 03, 2018 at 10:56 PM (#5600544)
Gov. Cuomo says New York will sue the U.S. to block the tax overhaul. Talk about your Hail Marys.

I'm sure it's a real dumb lawsuit with zero chance of going anywhere - if it actually even gets filed - but I do kind of feel like Rubio's "I think we might have given away too much to corporate America" quote might have gotten lost over the holidays, so maybe this will help give it some post-holiday life.

632. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 03, 2018 at 11:06 PM (#5600546)
Republican Theater continues!

"Legal action is imminent."

Oh noes!
   633. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 03, 2018 at 11:19 PM (#5600551)

I'm still not convinced this isn't some scheme Trump and Bannon concocted.
   634. Lassus Posted: January 03, 2018 at 11:28 PM (#5600553)
In news only slightly worse than a nuclear war, the person who had the offer in on our house backed out, and now we may lose the one we've had an offer accepted on.
   635. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: January 03, 2018 at 11:30 PM (#5600554)
My condolences, gef. I'm not really sure what else to say, but our first child, due in just over seven weeks, is T21 positive. Definitely going to be a challenge, but we're fairly well prepared, and of course the resources available for early intervention and education are certainly a lot better than they were when your sister was born. We plan to do all we can to make sure he has as normal and productive a life as possible.

The advances made for people with Down syndrome since my sister's birth 54 years ago are indeed remarkable, & I haven't the slightest doubt that your boy will be able to exceed any expectations you & your wife dare harbor, Shredder.

I know it's not ideal, of course, & for what very little it's worth rest assured that my heart goes out to you ... but you've got this. Your support system's got this. The educational system's got this. The world will be gaining a remarkable individual, & you & yours will be loved more than you ever thought possible.
   636. Jay Z Posted: January 03, 2018 at 11:51 PM (#5600555)
Ray is a know-nothing populist.

He's certainly a know-nothing. He's a populist in his incessant need to be the center of attention on OTP. Really, he has a lot in common with Trump. Like Trump doesn't care about other people, Ray doesn't really care about Trump himself or Trump's followers. It's all just a means to make himself feel better or to put others down.
   637. tshipman Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:02 AM (#5600556)
But tell us again, Andy, how the lefties posting here don't massively outnumber the right/libertarians.

In number of posters, yes.

In number of posts? no.
   638. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:09 AM (#5600557)
The fact of the matter is that, at least at this point in time, the Democrats are the party for fiscal responsibility. That hasn't always been the case and it may not be in the future. But, at least in 2018, a vote for a Democrat is a vote for a more balanced budget.

And yes that absolutely means raising taxes on Ray. Sorry, buddy.

Trump already just raised my taxes. Have at me some more, if you like. I'm single with no dependents and now can't take the same real estate deduction. I'm a sitting duck.
   639. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:13 AM (#5600558)
That sounds more (but not exactly) like snapper than anyone else, certainly more than SBB.
You're right, I conflated the more annoying features of two different posters. D'oh.
   640. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:14 AM (#5600559)
He's certainly a know-nothing. He's a populist in his incessant need to be the center of attention on OTP. Really, he has a lot in common with Trump. Like Trump doesn't care about other people, Ray doesn't really care about Trump himself or Trump's followers. It's all just a means to make himself feel better or to put others down.

Yes, I suffer through deranged insults like the above so that I can "make myself feel better." You figured me out!
   641. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:16 AM (#5600560)
I'm single with no dependents and now can't take the same real estate deduction.
I'm actually surprised there's not a loophole for people living in Trump properties.
   642. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:19 AM (#5600561)
Republican Theater continues!

Oh noes!

I actually figured that members of campaigns typically had confidentiality agreements as a matter of course.
   643. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:20 AM (#5600562)
Trump already just raised my taxes. Have at me some more, if you like. I'm single with no dependents and now can't take the same real estate deduction. I'm a sitting duck.

This is one of the many things that makes it especially amusing when you flail about with the TDS while being one of Trump's most consistent, steadfast, and loyal defenders.
   644. Shredder Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:57 AM (#5600565)
Thanks, gef. We appreciate it. Family and friends have been awesome so far, not that I'd expect anything else.
   645. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:03 AM (#5600567)
I'm sure there's some contractual definition to ruin the humor of this but today, Team Trump furiously insisted that everything Steve Bannon just said is a goddamned lie. Then they sent a cease and desist to Bannon for violating his non-disclosure clause.

The untalented, unimportant, lying leaker who "lost his mind" is making disparaging comments, you see.

"Legal action is imminent," warns Trump's lawyer. And we know what imminent Trump lawsuits mean. Bannon, it's time to get in line with those 19 lying women; you're the 20th pussyjacker.
   646. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:04 AM (#5600568)
Zonk, #604:
Dumb orange numb nuts dissolves his dumb stupid election fraud committee

Former Obama advisor Dan Pfeiffer: "In other words, @HillaryClinton won the popular vote ."
   647. OCF Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:21 AM (#5600572)
So, to boil it down:

Of course I'm sure Rowling knew all along that Hermione was an obvious Ravenclaw. And Ron has Hufflepuff tendencies. And we all know about Harry's suitability for Slytherin. Of course, what would I know? I'm a viola player. You can't get more Hufflepuff that that.
   648. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:23 AM (#5600573)
The Bannon story is such a yawn to me. That said, I'm happy to see what we see from it. Let the light shine in.

What I don't understand is why the left is salivating over the prospect of hearing what Bannon has to say.
   649. Jay Z Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:31 AM (#5600574)
This is one of the many things that makes it especially amusing when you flail about with the TDS while being one of Trump's most consistent, steadfast, and loyal defenders.

Loyalty. Donald Trump wouldn't be loyal to himself. He'd throw his own clone under the bus. So Ray's steadfast loyalty is... DERANGED! RAY IS DERANGED!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! YOU COULD LAY THE IRONY ON WITH A TROWEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A very hacky episode of The Twilight Zone awaits, starring Ray. I promise not to watch!
   650. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 06:10 AM (#5600582)
Well, if the NY Daily News wants to rub it in to the conflicted schizos and their broken Breitbart home, they might just as well rub it in hard.
   651. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 07:49 AM (#5600584)
In news only slightly worse than a nuclear war, the person who had the offer in on our house backed out, and now we may lose the one we've had an offer accepted on.

Yuck. Sorry dude, good luck. If it makes you feel better my furnace went out late yesterday. Well, specifically my upstairs furnace. When they built the dormer on the second floor they added a second ac and furnace. So it is a bit chilly up there right now, but it should be OK until they come to fix it because of the newer downstairs furnace (which I replaced five years or so ago).

Houses. But back to you, I remember the tension and uncertainty when buying a house until everything is done. Good luck man.
   652. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 07:51 AM (#5600585)
What I don't understand is why the left is salivating over the prospect of hearing what Bannon has to say.

Really? Most of us are not interested in what he says for itself, but rather for the amusement of watching him piss into the Trump tent rather than out of it at us.

Seriously though, what should the left be interested in, if not to watch the unfolding GOP Civil War take on a new dimension?
   653. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 04, 2018 at 08:11 AM (#5600587)
The Bannon story is such a yawn to me. That said, I'm happy to see what we see from it. Let the light shine in.

Well, it doesn't have quite the same pizzazz as millions dying in a nuclear holocaust, I'll grant -- but everybody has their own unique Lofl's, no?

654. Lassus Posted: January 04, 2018 at 08:13 AM (#5600588)
Thanks, Mouse.

Bannon is a disgusting turdbag liar, the sort of people the GOP electorate wanted running the country. Between him and Trump there's no real truth that exists, they're just shit that flows whichever way the water is going.
   655. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 08:27 AM (#5600592)
Between him and Trump there's no real truth that exists

I think our best bet is to wait for the Mueller investigation to issue its report. That will be much closer to truth than anything either of them has ever said.
   656. BrianBrianson Posted: January 04, 2018 at 08:33 AM (#5600593)
Wait, how the hell am I in the conservative camp? I'd go with moderate, independent, or maybe unclassified. But conservative?

Where you stand influences how you group people - why else would Ray put everyone in "Amorphous lefty blob" if they've ever expressed one or two left-ish ideas? Or really, just laughed at how dysfunctional the current administration is? I'd have maybe put you as paleo-conservative (back in the day when Conservative didn't mean hostile to science and/or facts).
   657. PreservedFish Posted: January 04, 2018 at 08:34 AM (#5600594)

Really? "The left" believes that Trump is an incompetent baby, and all people like to learn that they're right about their opinions, so we enjoy stories where Trump looks like an incompetent baby.

I mean I'd rather my president be a competent adult, even if it means I was wrong about him, but hey, until that happens these stories will still be fun to read.
   658. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 04, 2018 at 08:37 AM (#5600595)
The Real Future of Work

Borland soon learned that this wasn’t quite true. Nuance would pay her the same hourly rate—but only for the first three months. After that, she’d be paid according to her production, 6 cents for each line she transcribed. If she and her coworkers passed up the new offer, they couldn’t collect unemployment insurance, so Borland took the deal. But after the three-month transition period, her pay fell off a cliff. As a UPMC employee, she had earned $19 per hour, enough to support a solidly middle-class life. Her first paycheck at the per-line rate worked out to just $6.36 per hour—below the minimum wage.

The repercussions go far beyond the wages and hours of individuals. In America, more than any other developed country, jobs are the basis for a whole suite of social guarantees meant to ensure a stable life. Workplace protections like the minimum wage and overtime, as well as key benefits like health insurance and pensions, are built on the basic assumption of a full-time job with an employer. As that relationship crumbles, millions of hardworking Americans find themselves ejected from that implicit pact. For many employees, their new status as “independent contractor” gives them no guarantee of earning the minimum wage or health insurance. For Diana Borland, a new full-time job left her in the same chair but without a livable income.

In some cases, the Katz-Krueger data confirmed what was already known about the labor market, such as that construction is a highly subcontracted industry; about a quarter of construction workers were contingent workers in 1995, a share that has stayed roughly constant over the past 20 years. But in many other industries, they found the curves had begun to bend sharply upward. Among “transportation and material moving workers,” a category that includes everything from taxi drivers to flight attendants, the share of contingent workers had doubled: In 2005, it was 9 percent; it was 18.2 percent by 2015. Among health care support workers like Diana Borland, it nearly doubled, from 9.5 percent to 17.9 percent. The share of food preparation workers in contingent work had quadrupled. And this trend wasn’t limited to blue-collar jobs: The rise in contingent work was as large for people with a bachelor’s degree as it was for those without a high school diploma.
   659. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: January 04, 2018 at 08:44 AM (#5600597)
For exactly the same reason you salivate (or, in your case, "LOFL") about the latest case of what you perceive to be TDS.

And "we" are equally perplexed as to why you do that.
   660. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 04, 2018 at 08:54 AM (#5600598)
Though, of course (re: Bannon has to say) --

When you say things like treasonous, sleazy, money-laundering, Trump grown jizz possibly in trouble, etc --- why, I'm always interested in what the latest exiled coffee fetcher has to say.

How can you not be?
   661. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 08:56 AM (#5600599)
As amusing as the Bannon-Trump "cuck-fight" is, it appears that there is going to be a clear winner:

WASHINGTON — Steve Bannon is on the run, and his guerrilla war against the Republican establishment is on the verge of being extinguished after his political patron, Donald Trump, accused him Wednesday of having "lost his mind" and of being "only in it for himself."

In a stunning 266-word statement of rebuke against his former campaign aide and White House strategist, a clearly infuriated Trump echoed and expanded on the criticisms that establishment Republicans have leveled against Bannon since he took over the Trump campaign in August 2016.

Veteran GOP strategist Ed Rollins said on Fox News late Wednesday night that Bannon had effectively "set himself on fire in the middle of the south lawn and the president ran over him with a tank, then he put it in reverse and backed over him again."

"I think it's the end of Bannon," Rollins said.

Already, candidates long identified with Bannon are starting to distance themselves from him and pledge their allegiance to Trump.

"I strongly denounce the comments by Steve Bannon as quoted by Michael Wolff," said former Rep. Michael Grimm, a New York Republican who is seeking to re-take his old Staten Island House seat. "They are baseless attacks against the president's family, beyond disturbing, and I fully support our commander in chief."

Zachery Henry, spokesman for Kelli Ward, an Arizona Republican hoping to succeed retiring Sen. Jeff Flake, said that Bannon is "only one of the many high-profile endorsements Dr. Ward has received" and that Ward is committed to "helping President Trump advance an America First agenda."

When you've lost "Chemtrail" Kelli ...

NBC
   662. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:01 AM (#5600603)
Apparently, Bannon also rolled over onto his belly and went full cuck last night on Breitbart's siriusxm show, too...

Sad.
   663. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:10 AM (#5600604)
Checking in from the Snowpocalypse in Massachusetts. Do your worst!
   664. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:12 AM (#5600605)
It's a very lucky thing that the kind of fights we've been seeing are entirely superficial and personality-driven, and in no way reflect the current nature or prospective outcome of the Republican Party's swift capitulation to this style and content of presidency, nor do they tell us anything about crises, divisions or irremediable disappointments within American conservatism in general, or Trump's 2017-18-19 in particular.
   665. Lassus Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:21 AM (#5600610)

You can hear the snoring of those who aren't laughing in Syracuse.
   666. tshipman Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:32 AM (#5600613)
This is really scary:

Donald Trump's small staff of factotums, advisors and family began, on Jan. 20, 2017, an experience that none of them, by any right or logic, thought they would — or, in many cases, should — have, being part of a Trump presidency. Hoping for the best, with their personal futures as well as the country's future depending on it, my indelible impression of talking to them and observing them through much of the first year of his presidency, is that they all — 100 percent — came to believe he was incapable of functioning in his job.

At Mar-a-Lago, just before the new year, a heavily made-up Trump failed to recognize a succession of old friends.

These claims deserve a hefty grain of salt, but that is very troubling if true.
   667. Yonder Alonso in misguided trousers (cardinal) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:40 AM (#5600616)
@ 661 - The other politician quoted in support there, Michael Grimm, is described as "seeking to re-take his old Staten Island House seat" because he lost it after being convicted of felony tax fraud. Quite a support group between him and Ward.
   668. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5600618)

You can hear the snoring of those who aren't laughing in Syracuse.

DC closed its schools today with about an inch of snow on the ground. It took me about five minutes to clear our walkway and driveway----with a broom.
   669. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:44 AM (#5600619)
Whatever will Dilbert make of this assessment of Trump's preternatural political skills, as described in the article linked in #666?
There was some effort to ascribe to Trump magical powers. In an early conversation — half comic, half desperate — Bannon tried to explain him as having a particular kind of Jungian brilliance. Trump, obviously without having read Jung, somehow had access to the collective unconscious of the other half of the country, and, too, a gift for inventing archetypes: Little Marco … Low-Energy Jeb … the Failing New York Times. Everybody in the West Wing tried, with some panic, to explain him, and, sheepishly, their own reason for being here. He's intuitive, he gets it, he has a mind-meld with his base. But there was palpable relief, of an Emperor's New Clothes sort, when longtime Trump staffer Sam Nunberg — fired by Trump during the campaign but credited with knowing him better than anyone else — came back into the fold and said, widely, "He's just a fucking fool."

...Reigning over all of this was Trump, enigma, cipher and disruptor. How to get along with Trump — who veered between a kind of blissed-out pleasure of being in the Oval Office and a deep, childish frustration that he couldn't have what he wanted? Here was a man singularly focused on his own needs for instant gratification, be that a hamburger, a segment on Fox & Friends or an Oval Office photo opp. "I want a win. I want a win. Where's my win?" he would regularly declaim. He was, in words used by almost every member of the senior staff on repeated occasions, "like a child." A chronic naysayer, Trump himself stoked constant discord with his daily after-dinner phone calls to his billionaire friends about the disloyalty and incompetence around him. His billionaire friends then shared this with their billionaire friends, creating the endless leaks which the president so furiously railed against.
   670. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:46 AM (#5600621)
#667:
@ 661 - The other politician quoted in support there, Michael Grimm, is described as "seeking to re-take his old Staten Island House seat" because he lost it after being convicted of felony tax fraud. Quite a support group between him and Ward.

Ah, yes, Michael Grimm. Here's the sensible spokesman for Donald Trump, in action.
   671. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:50 AM (#5600625)
One more gem from that article in #666:
It was [Trump communications director Hope] Hicks who, attentive to his lapses and repetitions, urged him to forgo an interview that was set to open the 60 Minutes fall season. Instead, the interview went to Fox News' Sean Hannity who, White House insiders happily explained, was willing to supply the questions beforehand. Indeed, the plan was to have all interviewers going forward provide the questions.
Or as Trump tweeted last October:
Voter fraud! Crooked Hillary Clinton even got the questions to a debate, and nobody says a word. Can you imagine if I got the questions?

But don't think Trump doesn't appreciate the people trying to save him from himself:
[Hope] Hicks was sitting with Trump and his sons in Trump Tower, worrying about how Lewandowski would be portrayed in the media and how she could help him after his firing.

“Trump, who otherwise seemed to treat Hicks in a protective and even paternal way, looked up and said, ‘Why? You’ve already done enough for him. You’re the best piece of tail he’ll ever have’” Trump allegedly told Hicks. Hicks immediately fled the room, according to the book.
   672. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5600627)
Ah, yes, Michael Grimm. Here's the sensible spokesman for Donald Trump, in action.

Sounds like an ex-Marine English teacher from my old high school, whose favorite response to unruly students was "I'm going to take you outside and wrap you around a telephone pole."

He later has his Roy Moore moment with a cheerleader, and wasn't heard from again.
   673. PreservedFish Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:57 AM (#5600629)
factotums

I want the plural to be factota.
   674. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:58 AM (#5600630)
GOP Civil War update (rare non-Trump related edition) - The Utah Republican Party has bankrupted itself fighting Republican legislation

The Utah Republican Party would be wise to drop its lawsuit against the state over the candidate nomination process, Gov. Gary Herbert said Thursday.

But with oral arguments coming later this month in a federal appeals court, the GOP governor said he really doesn't care at this point.

"Let's get it through the courts. Let's see what they say and then react to that," Herbert said at his monthly KUED news conference. "But once we get beyond that, I think Senate Bill 54 ought to stay as the law of the land unless somehow the courts overturn it."
   675. dlf Posted: January 04, 2018 at 09:58 AM (#5600631)
If it makes you feel better my furnace went out late yesterday. Well, specifically my upstairs furnace. When they built the dormer on the second floor they added a second ac and furnace. So it is a bit chilly up there right now, but it should be OK until they come to fix it because of the newer downstairs furnace (which I replaced five years or so ago).

We live in a three story house with separate HVAC units for each floor - yes, I understand first world problems. On Jan 1st, the unit for the main floor went out but that was OK since the upstairs (where the master and our kids' bedrooms are) was still running as well as the one for the in-law suite / my home office in the basement. Then on the 2nd, the unit for the upstairs went out too. The company that services them for us and holds the warranties has gone out of business and with temps in the 20s in Georgia there was plenty of demand so it took calling and pleading to get someone to come out. One night spent under an extra comforter with the room dropping to 49 at the time I woke was enough -- I paid a 3x premium to get someone out to fix the sensors. That there are computers built into what once was a simple gas furnace might make sense in the larger context, but when it is freezing out and I can't do the work myself I got a wee bit cranky.
   676. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:14 AM (#5600636)
The furnace is now fixed. Not sure what was wrong, but it cost me a couple hundred bucks (I wasn't home for it). Here in Minnesota in winter, when your furnace goes down you spend what it takes to get it running. I was prepared for needing a whole new furnace, so good news I guess.

Note: Since heat rises and the furnace was circulating the air the downstairs furnace turned up to 71 all night was able to keep the upstairs in the mid 50s, which since it is -6 right now has to be counted as a victory.
   677. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:16 AM (#5600637)
This is the most positive analysis of the GOP Tax bill I have read, so I thought I would share. I am not sure I agree 100% with it, but overall I think it is at least a reasonable take.

There are problems with the Republican tax bill. Deficits aren't one of them.

Anyone who tells you that the GOP tax bill President Donald Trump signed into law before Christmas is all good or all bad has fallen victim to the particularly viral strain of negative partisanship going around this flu season. On the specifics, the 503-page Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is clearly a mixed bag.

Business tax reforms like the shift to a territorial system and the corporate tax cut were genuinely long overdue. Far from being the ideas of some crazed supply-side economist, they help to move the United States’ corporate tax system into closer alignment with the rest of the developed world. On the other hand, the last-minute decision to cut taxes for the wealthiest individuals, especially at the expense of a much more progressive child tax credit, betrayed the egregious influence of the Republican donor class on an otherwise opaque legislative process.

Yet what may be the most controversial aspect of the tax bill, its impact on the deficit, is clearly an unalloyed good. Indeed, it may even be its saving grace.
   678. McCoy Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:17 AM (#5600638)
On the 21st of December I came home to a note on my door stating that Atlanta Gas had to turned off my gas due to me not setting up an account. For whatever reason I thought I had back in September but apparently I did not. So I call up a gas company and discover that the earliest they can turn it back on was the 27th. So I setup an appointment and in the meantime attempt to pick the lock but the barrel lock is a lot harder to pick than youtube would have you believe. Luckily for us there is a Hilton about a third of a mile away and I can get employee discounts there. So I booked a room there for three nights so that we could shower there. My GF went to Costco and got a heat blank and two space heaters. It wasn't as closed then as it is now but the temp dropped to about 60 or so in the house. Got through it but it was a pain.
   679. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:19 AM (#5600640)
Gee, what curious timing ...

(CNN)In a seismic shift, Attorney General Jeff Sessions will announce Thursday that he is rescinding a trio of memos from the Obama administration that adopted a policy of non-interference with marijuana-friendly state laws, according to a source with knowledge of the decision.

CNN

680. DavidFoss Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:20 AM (#5600641)
Here in Minnesota in winter, when your furnace goes down you spend what it takes to get it running.

You can't let the pipes freeze. That's a total disaster. Even when you go on vacation for a couple of weeks, you're supposed to keep the furnace on and set to 55-60 or so.

Wow. Multiple furnaces. Is it a really old house with bad ductwork?
   681. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5600642)
This is really scary:

This is utterly unsurprising. Literally anyone paying attention with a half functional brain knew the man was unfit for office before he announced his candidacy. No one who supports him or his administration deserves to be allowed to participate in the business of the republic.
   682. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5600643)
Gee, what curious timing ...

(CNN)In a seismic shift, Attorney General Jeff Sessions will announce Thursday that he is rescinding a trio of memos from the Obama administration that adopted a policy of non-interference with marijuana-friendly state laws, according to a source with knowledge of the decision.

FOOLISH CALIFORNIA, LET YOUR PUNY LAWS TREMBLE BEFORE THE RIGHTEOUS MIGHT OF...
   683. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:32 AM (#5600647)

That sucks, severely, Las.
   684. Lassus Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5600650)
Yeah, well, 1st-world problems, etc. I hate whining online, but I liked the nuclear war line, so I relented.
   685. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5600651)
So, to boil it down:

I never read the books, but I figured out just from watching the movies:

Gryffindor: noble & honorable - would be centrist Supreme Court Justices
Slytherin: sneaky & underhanded - would be members of the current administration
Ravenclaw: warriors - would be the Joint Chiefs, of course
Hufflepuff: clowns/jesters - would be the MSM
   686. dlf Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:39 AM (#5600652)
Setting aside the wisdom of the nation's drug laws, I'm curious why various states believe that their individual laws pertaining to drugs are not superseded by existing federal law. That the BHO administration elected not to enforce certain laws doesn't make them disappear and if DJT's administration reverses position, that seems supported by lengthy precedent.
   687. BrianBrianson Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5600653)
Apparently Oregon is descending into Mad Max territory now that it's legal to pump your own gas. Frankly, I'm flabberghasted that the most hipster-heavy state in America had mandatory full serve gas station. My one question millenial test is:
You see two gas stations, one full-serve and one self-serve. How much more expensive must the self-serve gas be before you entertain the full-serve station?
   688. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5600654)

"The enemy of my enemy" and all that, Ray...
   689. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5600655)
Wow. Multiple furnaces. Is it a really old house with bad ductwork?

It was built just after WWII and then in the 70s they added a dormer on the second floor and expanded the second floor out to 4 bedrooms and a bathroom. For whatever reason they opted to give that part of the house a second AC and Furnace system rather than expand the main unit; no clue if it was the right call or not for the cost and/or functionality at the time, but it would make zero sense for me to try to combine them at this point.

My dream house remodel includes a major update of the second floor, including extending the livable part of the house over the garage and at that point I would have to do something, but even then I would likely just put in a new expanded upstairs unit and not try to combine the two systems.

It is kind of dumb, but when one system fails it is really convenient.

EDIT: For English and clarity.
   690. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:44 AM (#5600656)
You see two gas stations, one full-serve and one self-serve. How much more expensive must the self-serve gas be before you entertain the full-serve station?

I am - admittedly - weird in that I don't like full service stations and would avoid them even if they were cheaper. I don't like valet parking either and would rather walk many blocks than use it. I occasionally get bumped up into various concierge levels when I travel and I am not a huge fan*. I prefer sort of doing my thing and being left alone.

* Except the one time at Disney World, when I was sick and having extra service to make my life better was awesome.
   691. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:48 AM (#5600659)

And threatening to throw a TV news interviewer off a balcony in front of a hot camera and live mic.

EDIT: steaming hot toddy to Gonfalon Bubble
   692. Lassus Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:50 AM (#5600661)
I was traveling into OR for the first time as a theatre tour manager when I was 22 and it took me a good full minute to process the fact that I couldn't pump my own gas anywhere in the state.
   693. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5600664)
As if Trump's lawyers didn't have enough time on their hands.....

Trump lawyer seeks to block insider book on White House
A lawyer representing President Trump sought Thursday to stop the publication of a new behind-the-scenes book about the White House that has already led Trump to angrily decry his former chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon.

The legal notice — addressed to author Michael Wolff and the president of the book’s publisher — said Trump’s lawyers were pursuing possible charges including libel in connection with the forthcoming book, “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House.”

The letter by Beverly Hills-based attorney Charles J. Harder demanded the publisher, Henry Holt and Co., “immediately cease and desist from any further publication, release or dissemination of the book” or excerpts and summaries of its contents. The lawyers also seek a full copy of the book as part of their investigation....

Lots of butter and salt on the popcorn, please, and make it a jumbo size. This could be a long movie.
   694. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:55 AM (#5600665)

"The enemy of my enemy" and all that, Ray...

Strange that he isn’t intrigued by learning about the Master Persuader from one of his intimate advisors. Look at how valuable the insight of a mere cartoonist has been in shaping Ray’s worldview!

You don’t need to ride Trump’s Dumbogenesis disaster to the ground Ray. Slim Pickens was subject to the inescapable grip of gravity, you’re only weighed down by the mass of your intransigence.
   695. tshipman Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5600667)
The real genius idea, which I saw somewhere else, would be to somehow get Hillary Clinton to read the audio book version.
   696. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5600668)

I was traveling into OR for the first time as a theatre tour manager when I was 22 and it took me a good full minute to process the fact that I couldn't pump my own gas anywhere in the state.

Never been to Jersey, eh?
   697. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5600669)
One more gem from that article in #666:

It was [Trump communications director Hope] Hicks who, attentive to his lapses and repetitions, urged him to forgo an interview that was set to open the 60 Minutes fall season. Instead, the interview went to Fox News' Sean Hannity who, White House insiders happily explained, was willing to supply the questions beforehand. Indeed, the plan was to have all interviewers going forward provide the questions.

Or as Trump tweeted last October:

Voter fraud! Crooked Hillary Clinton even got the questions to a debate, and nobody says a word. Can you imagine if I got the questions?

See why I say TDS? There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving the subject of an interview the questions beforehand. It's only a problem if your goal is to play gotcha, rather than to actually extract information.

Do you also think that interviews conducted via email are beyond bounds, Gonfalon?

Finally: You're drawing a false equivalency here, between an interview and a debate. Some would say that's... deranged.

Really now, you folks have completely lost it. You're flailing.
   698. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5600670)
A lawyer representing President Trump sought Thursday to stop the publication of a new behind-the-scenes book about the White House that has already led Trump to angrily decry his former chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon.

Seems like the kind of thing that might have a chance of working in the UK, at least temporarily, potentially with a superinjunction thrown in. I would assume that under US law it's near-impossible to actually prevent publication.
   699. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5600671)
The letter by Beverly Hills-based attorney Charles J. Harder demanded the publisher, Henry Holt and Co., “immediately cease and desist from any further publication, release or dissemination of the book” or excerpts and summaries of its contents.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Or as Ray would say, Lofl...
   700. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5600672)

New Jersey now stands alone athwart the march of history ...
Page 7 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick
for his generous support.