Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 01, 2018

OTP 1 January 2018 - Athlete boycotts of White House didn’t start with Donald Trump — but he sure helped

Amateur teams began going to the White House as far back as the mid-1860s, while the first championship winning pro baseball team attended in 1925. That was the Washington Senators, winners of the previous year’s World Series. They were hosted by then-president Calvin Coolidge.

Teams that later followed include the Super Bowl-winning Pittsburgh Steelers. The squad was on hand for the same ceremony in 1980 with then-president Jimmy Carter as baseball’s Pittsburgh Pirates. In June 1991, the Penguins were the first NHL team to visit after capturing a title, meeting George H.W. Bush.

Bird’s decision to skip the visit in 1984 — usually consisting of handshakes and photo ops — is said to be the first snub of significance, even though he didn’t give political reasons.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 01, 2018 at 03:22 PM | 1771 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: champions, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   701. Lassus Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:02 AM (#5600674)
Never been to Jersey, eh?

At that point? Probably not. It's not really on the way anywhere from Utica.
   702. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:02 AM (#5600675)
We live in a three story house with separate HVAC units for each floor - yes, I understand first world problems. On Jan 1st, the unit for the main floor went out but that was OK since the upstairs (where the master and our kids' bedrooms are) was still running as well as the one for the in-law suite / my home office in the basement. Then on the 2nd, the unit for the upstairs went out too. The company that services them for us and holds the warranties has gone out of business and with temps in the 20s in Georgia there was plenty of demand so it took calling and pleading to get someone to come out. One night spent under an extra comforter with the room dropping to 49 at the time I woke was enough -- I paid a 3x premium to get someone out to fix the sensors. That there are computers built into what once was a simple gas furnace might make sense in the larger context, but when it is freezing out and I can't do the work myself I got a wee bit cranky.

I'm as big a technophile as anyone, but yeah - it's annoying how many major appliances used to be far simpler to fix, but now require "licensed technicians" to repair (funny that... why, it's almost as if it's part of the business model!)

10-15 years ago - we got a ferocious cold spell right before New Years and my heat went out the morning of New Year's eve... I'm not HVAC certified or anything, but my dad was in the building trades - built our house (and installed the furnace) and I'd seen him repair enough furnaces that I recognized the problem (pilot light wouldn't stay lit) was almost certainly a cheap little 'sensor' that's nothing more than a plug with a copper filament sprouting off it that controls the gas ignition. I called my landlord - an older couple who had previously lived there before moving to a condo that were lovely people - and told them I was pretty sure I knew what the problem was. They got freaked out because they couldn't get ahold their maintenance guy and were trying to find an emergency HVAC guy to come out; I told them don't bother - simply bought a new sensor (it's a $10 part), replaced it, and voila.... They were so thrilled to save on what I'm sure would have been a pricey service call that they gave me a 50% discount on next month's rent.

The fun postscript is that after the holiday - they did have an HVAC guy come out to check the furnace "just in case" and he tried to screw them by RE-replacing the now brand-new sensor I had put in, claiming it wasn't the right manufacturer (didn't matter - the unit was no longer under warranty so there was no reason to use the brand name rather than the perfectly fine brand I had gotten from the neighborhood Ace hardware), then tried to launch in circular babble about torque on the installation, the spec level for the bends in the filament, blah-blah... all of which was BS designed to tack on another 150 bucks... that he eventually didn't charge them after I raised a stink about it (and which they happily passed onto me as another rent deduction).

I'm sure there are efficiency savings, legitimate safety improvements, etc to be had by the explosion of chips and digital sensors/triggers/etc -- but it's a really shitty business model where such modern major appliances aren't constructed such that basic mechanical apparatuses, which remain as perfectly viable as ever, cannot continue to function in a safe mode that makes service a more mundane, schedulable task rather than demanding "licensed" technicians immediately service the units.... but like I said, it's part of the new model -- a rent-seeking WAD.
   703. Hot Wheeling American Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:03 AM (#5600676)
I would assume that under US law it's near-impossible to actually prevent publication.

And this isn't Bannon's book.
   704. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:03 AM (#5600677)

Really now, you folks have completely lost it. You're flailing.

Wow. Pot? Kettle? Which one is black again?

(I am just a fountain of clichés today...)
   705. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:03 AM (#5600679)
What I don't understand is why the left is salivating over the prospect of hearing what Bannon has to say.

"The enemy of my enemy" and all that, Ray...

Right, which is why it's hilarious to see the left jump into bed with the despicablen child-molester-supporting Bannon.
   706. dlf Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5600680)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving the subject of an interview the questions beforehand. It's only a problem if your goal is to play gotcha, rather than to actually extract information.

Ray, in your professional life, do you see a difference between an oral deposition and a series of written interrogatories? Giving an interviewee a list of questions before hand, particularly if the interviewer refrains from pointed follow up questions, results in the publication of a PR release rather than an investigative interview.
   707. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5600681)
Lots of butter and salt on the popcorn, please, and make it a jumbo size. This could be a long movie.

Sshh!! You're not supposed to concede that this is entertainment.
   708. manchestermets Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5600682)
You see two gas stations, one full-serve and one self-serve. How much more expensive must the self-serve gas be before you entertain the full-serve station?

Hang on, why would self-service be more expensive? That seems back to front.
   709. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5600683)
Never been to Jersey, eh?

At that point? Probably not. It's not really on the way anywhere from Utica.

Concession submitted.
   710. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5600684)
The real genius idea, which I saw somewhere else, would be to somehow get Hillary Clinton to read the audio book version.

How many versions would she read?
   711. Hot Wheeling American Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:06 AM (#5600685)
Right, which is why it's hilarious to see the left jump into bed with the despicablen child-molester-supporting Bannon.

Who is jumping into bed with Bannon? How many times does this have to be explained to you before you stop repeating the...wait for it...LIE?
   712. PepTech Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5600687)
You're drawing a false equivalency here, between an interview and a debate.
I agree with this, actually. Apples and oranges.
Some would say that's... deranged.

Really now, you folks have completely lost it. You're flailing.
And, there's the unnecessary ad hominem part. Which, to be fair, goes both ways.
   713. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5600689)
A lawyer representing President Trump sought Thursday to stop the publication of a new behind-the-scenes book about the White House that has already led Trump to angrily decry his former chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon.

Seems like the kind of thing that might have a chance of working in the UK, at least temporarily, potentially with a superinjunction thrown in. I would assume that under US law it's near-impossible to actually prevent publication.

As I understand it, Wolff was granted WH access specifically TO write the book.... i.e., it's the same sort of thing that most recent administrations have done (usually, eventually, to their chagrin - though, perhaps not quite to the Trumpian level. I.e., Carl Bernstein got the same in the Obama administration).

They just thought they were going to get a handjob... and they didn't. Sucks to be them.... so good luck with that.
   714. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5600690)

Right. Probably intended to distract everybody from whatever bad #### Mueller has coming down...
   715. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:09 AM (#5600691)

When I root for two loathesome people to kill each other in the hopes that neither remains standing afterwards, I'm hardly "jumping into bed" with either of them.

Your TDS is showing.
   716. dlf Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:10 AM (#5600692)
I was traveling into OR for the first time as a theatre tour manager when I was 22 and it took me a good full minute to process the fact that I couldn't pump my own gas anywhere in the state.

New Jersey now stands alone athwart the march of history ...

In a prior life, I had to spend most of my work-weeks for about a year in Mt. Laurel/Cherry Hill NJ, right across the bridge from Philly. I did my best to not fill up until heading back to the airport so I didn't have to pay for the full (and usually surly) service.
   717. PepTech Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:14 AM (#5600693)
New Jersey now stands alone athwart the march of history
Sort of - the Oregon law allowing self-serve only applies in counties of less than 40,000 people. So Portlandia is still safe for the swaddled:
“I don’t even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian . . . I say NO THANKS! I don’t like to smell like gasoline!” one woman wrote on KTVL’s Facebook post.

“No! Disabled, seniors, people with young children in the car need help. Not to mention getting out of your car with transients around and not feeling safe. This is a very bad idea. Grrr,” another woman wrote.

“I’ve lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas . . . This [is] a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas.”
   718. Traderdave Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:15 AM (#5600694)
Mandatory full service always struck me as an employment program for low lifes.
   719. BDC Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:16 AM (#5600696)
A lawyer representing President Trump sought Thursday to stop the publication of a new behind-the-scenes book about the White House

This can't be true. Only Hillary Clinton would ever seek to stop publication of books.
   720. Traderdave Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5600698)
Is Trump's denial of Bannon's words in conflict with complaining about Bannon violating NDA or can both sentiments coexist?
   721. Lassus Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5600699)
New Jersey now stands alone athwart the march of history...

I look forward to humans in NJ pumping gas for their self-driving robot car masters.
   722. BDC Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5600700)
Meanwhile, a Winter Olympic thaw in Korea:

South Korea confirmed it had received a call from the North at 15:30 local time (06:30 GMT) on Wednesday.
The North Korean leader had earlier said he was open to dialogue with Seoul and to sending a team to the Winter Olympics in the South next month.
The two nations have not held high-level talks since December 2015.
The initial call was brief as checks are still being carried out on the line, according to South Korean officials.
North Korea said the aim would be for the two nations to discuss the practical issues around sending a North Korean delegation to the Winter Games in Pyeongchang.

A little ironic that this gesture coincides with the current US-NK Twitter war. However, if tensions ease between the Koreas, Trump will probably take credit for it. "Only the size of my Button brought the North Koreans to the ski slopes …"
   723. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5600701)
Setting aside the wisdom of the nation's drug laws, I'm curious why various states believe that their individual laws pertaining to drugs are not superseded by existing federal law. That the BHO administration elected not to enforce certain laws doesn't make them disappear and if DJT's administration reverses position, that seems supported by lengthy precedent.

Sure -

Ironically, a friend of mine tried - or well, really more like offered - me an investment slice in a marijuana growing operation... He's not a hippie by any stretch - former hedge fund manager now running his own boutique investment firm and this just happened to be an area that has caught his eye (he's an old friend from college and quite good at what he does - I have a small sliver of another venture through him that has done exceedingly well). Anyway, his presentation on the matter certainly hit all the right points - and no doubt, absent federal problems - it probably was a great investment opportunity... but I took a pass specifically because Devil's Weed Jeff ("it's as bad as heroin!") was almost certain to throw monkey wrenches like this one into the works.
   724. PepTech Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5600702)
the left jump into bed with the despicablen child-molester-supporting Bannon
Bannon was quoted. Doesn't mean anyone likes him.

I imagine we could find a post where you quoted HRC. If Misirlou, for example, said you were in bed with her, you would loudly and repeatedly demand an apology for the vicious smear to your character. Interesting that you do not apply this standard to yourself.

725. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5600703)
Look at Ray, carrying uncarryable water for Donald Trump. "Do you also think that interviews conducted via email are beyond bounds, Gonfalon?" He actually thinks he's found a gotcha worthy of... melodramatic ellipses. The poor miserable putz.
   726. PepTech Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:26 AM (#5600706)
Trump will probably take credit for it. "Only the size of my Button brought the North Koreans to the ski slopes …"
Pedant alert: I read somewhere that the only North Koreans who've been able to qualify for the Olympics are a pair of figure skaters. I think they've tightened up the standards since the Eddie the Eagle days.
   727. PreservedFish Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:26 AM (#5600708)
Story: [Every news item ever, in history]
Ray's Takeaway: This exposes liberal hypocrisy!
   728. PreservedFish Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5600710)
I read somewhere that the only North Koreans who've been able to qualify for the Olympics are a pair of figure skaters.

If only military parades were a category.
   729. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5600711)
So, to boil it down:

Gryffindor: Brave and gallant
Slytherin: Playing the angles
Hufflepuff: Loyal and hardworking
Ravenclaw: Intellectual and studious
In the books the Hufflepuffers try really hard but are borderline incompetent. Ron really should have been in Hufflepuff.

Or as I heard somewhere once, we all want to be Gryffindor, think we're Ravenclaw, and secretly fear that we're Hufflepuff.
   730. BrianBrianson Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:30 AM (#5600712)

Hang on, why would self-service be more expensive? That seems back to front.

Supply and Demand
   731. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:30 AM (#5600713)
Imbecile Dancing Monkey troll Ray: Believing what Bannon has said about this isn't supporting him. You dunce. Go have some hot cocoa and watch cartoons on this snow day, child.
   732. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:31 AM (#5600714)
Lots of butter and salt on the popcorn, please, and make it a jumbo size. This could be a long movie.

Why in the hell wouldn't anyone think that a catfight cuckfight between Trump and Bannon isn't the most entertaining spectacle imaginable? Hell, it's even more entertaining than watching JE twist himself into a pretzel trying to avoid using the D-word.
   733. BDC Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:31 AM (#5600715)
various states believe that their individual laws pertaining to drugs are not superseded by existing federal law

When's the last time that numerous states enacted laws that so clearly contradicted federal law? Even Jim Crow laws were usually written to comply speciously with the 14th and 15th Amendments, and with various 19th-century civil-rights acts.

Sanctuary ordinances also tend to define lack of cooperation with federal agencies at a level that's arguably within their discretion. Most say that a locality will comply with actual federal warrants.

I would have thought by now that some Just Say No organization in Colorado (say) would have filed suit against their state. I remember reading that a couple of neighboring states had sued Colorado for corrupting the youth of border communities or something, but I lost track of the progress of those lawsuits.
   734. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:32 AM (#5600716)
Or as I heard somewhere once, we all want to be Gryffindor, think we're Ravenclaw, and secretly fear that we're Hufflepuff.

Everyone but Gryffindor gets a raw deal*. I suspect a conspiracy.

* Ravenclaw gets a tiny shred of support.
   735. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5600721)
A lawyer representing President Trump sought Thursday to stop the publication of a new behind-the-scenes book about the White House that has already led Trump to angrily decry his former chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon.

Seems like the kind of thing that might have a chance of working in the UK, at least temporarily, potentially with a superinjunction thrown in. I would assume that under US law it's near-impossible to actually prevent publication.

If Bannon signed a confidentiality agreement I could see a court issuing an injunction of this type, although this isn't my area of law so I could be wrong.

But clearly Trump's legal strategy, going back decades, is to threaten and even file lawsuits that have no merit (but perhaps if you squint are not frivolous), in order to paper the other side to death and cause them to stop doing whatever it is they're doing or about to do, lest they run up legal fees. I actually have been on the receiving end of him doing this. (His lawyer didn't threaten to sue me personally because that's not the structure of this particular dispute but he threatened a lawsuit that would directly affect me as in essence a party who is represented by the would-be defendant, even though I wouldn't be named as a defendant per se.)
   736. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5600722)
Trump lawyer seeks to block insider book on White House

See, this is a textbook example of what YR (I think) was talking about how the rich use the laws to project power onto others while using different laws to protect themselves from projecting their different power onto them. Trump spends half his waking hours verbally beating others, because they don't have the means (lawyers, and the money they require) to protect themselves. But as soon as someone does it to him, he has his lawyers try to stop them, either through the courts, or through the treat of the courts.

But should that same person try to go up to Trump to physically beat him (setting aside he is President and has a fleet of government bodyguards to protect him), he is protected by different laws that prevent that kind of power projection.
   737. BrianBrianson Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5600723)
Imbecile Dancing Monkey troll Ray: Believing what Bannon has said about this isn't supporting him. You dunce. Go have some hot cocoa and watch cartoons on this snow day, child.

If you're living in a post-fact mentality, believing people is supporting them.

But, you do have to be a dunce to believe you're in a post-fact reality.
   738. Dromedary pretzels, only half a dinar (CoB). Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:40 AM (#5600725)
Virginia settled the outcome of a tied House of Delegates race that would determine control of the chamber in a random drawing Thursday — and Republicans won.

In accordance with state law, once a recount determined that the race between Delegate David Yancey (R) and Shelly Simonds (D) is tied at 11,608 votes for each candidate, the outcome was settled by the state’s board of elections with a random drawing.

Papers with each of their names were placed in film canisters and put into a bowl, and one canister was drawn at random. That turned out to be the one containing Yancey’s name.

The result means Republicans will hold a 51-49 majority in Virginia’s state house this year, unless further legal proceedings change the outcome of any remaining races.

Vox
   739. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5600726)
Re: #735-736:
As Roger Ailes so pithily put it, thus making him an adored hero of all drooling liberals everywhere, Donald Trump "sucks up and shits down."
   740. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:42 AM (#5600728)
I would have thought by now that some Just Say No organization in Colorado (say) would have filed suit against their state. I remember reading that a couple of neighboring states had sued Colorado for corrupting the youth of border communities or something, but I lost track of the progress of those lawsuits.

SCOTUS turned down the appeal early in 2016 from the bordering state challenges -- that was the last of the court challenges that have been working through system. When I brought up the potential problem to my buddy mentioned in 723, he did point me to a section on the prospectus that included the end of the line for the various legal challenges that sought injunctions against the law generally -- though, it certainly did point out the fact that federal enforcement of marijuana laws remained a potential big problem/risk.
   741. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:42 AM (#5600729)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving the subject of an interview the questions beforehand. It's only a problem if your goal is to play gotcha, rather than to actually extract information.

Ray, in your professional life, do you see a difference between an oral deposition and a series of written interrogatories? Giving an interviewee a list of questions before hand, particularly if the interviewer refrains from pointed follow up questions, results in the publication of a PR release rather than an investigative interview.

Yes, but this is a media interview, not a deposition.
   742. Lassus Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5600733)
#738: Just read that. ####### brutal.
   743. manchestermets Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5600734)
Supply and Demand

That doesn't make it seem any less weird to me. You still have to pay someone to pump the gas for full service customers, and I don't see why anyone would be prepared to pay more to do it themself.

That doesn't mean, of course, that I believe the quotes in #717 to be anything other than laughable. For one, self-service is only being permitted, not compulsory, right? So those who wish to have their gas pumped for them should still be able to get that service. And as for

This [is] a service only qualified people should perform.

This no doubt explains the many instances of fuel-pumping death and injury in the UK, where self-service is universal.
   744. BrianBrianson Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5600735)
The Virginia House Race will probably be useful to push turnout in at least the near future (and whatever else, I'm always very pro-turnout).
   745. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5600737)
Trump lawyer seeks to block insider book on White House

See, this is a textbook example of what YR (I think) was talking about how the rich use the laws to project power onto others while using different laws to protect themselves from projecting their different power onto them. Trump spends half his waking hours verbally beating others, because they don't have the means (lawyers, and the money they require) to protect themselves. But as soon as someone does it to him, he has his lawyers try to stop them, either through the courts, or through the treat of the courts.

The irony is that in real life, i.e. politically, the cat's already out of the bag, and the only ones being hurt by the book's suppression would be Bannon and his publisher. Even if the book were to be suppressed, Trump would only win a Pyrrhic victory.
   746. Dromedary pretzels, only half a dinar (CoB). Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5600740)
and the only ones being hurt by the book's suppression would be Bannon and his publisher.

Joe Morgan, is that you?
   747. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5600741)
Can't find the details on it -- but I'll stress again...

Wolff was given access specifically to write the book. Apparently, he had previously written complimentary profiles on pre-political Trump/TrumpCo.... and the dumbasses just figured his love was more enduring.

I'm quite sure Wolff - and his publisher - appreciate the additional free marketing the morons are providing them, though. I see that they're already pushing up the release date to capitalize.

Delicious.
   748. PreservedFish Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:50 AM (#5600742)
See, this is a textbook example of what YR (I think) was talking about how the rich use the laws to project power onto others while using different laws to protect themselves from projecting their different power onto them.

Well, Trump's a narcissist. So in this case he thinks that other people shouldn't be protected, and that he should be protected, not because he has more power, but because he's right and they're wrong.
   749. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5600743)

Generally speaking the idea of an interview is not to have the interviewee just giving canned PR responses with no follow up and knowing the questions ahead of time. Not much point in having an interview which has all the spontaneity of a campaign ad.
   750. BrianBrianson Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5600744)
You still have to pay someone to pump the gas for full service customers, and I don't see why anyone would be prepared to pay more to do it themself.

Well, then my test suggests you are not a millennial.
   751. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5600747)
This no doubt explains the many instances of fuel-pumping death and injury in the UK, where self-service is universal.

Yeah, only Oregon and New Jersey are exception that I know of in the US. Everyone pumps their own gas and there are basically no issues. I have a New Jersey friend though that is convinced that self service is evil and caused more expensive gas prices and is dangerous to boot. He is sane on most subjects, but not that one.
   752. PepTech Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5600748)
#738: Just read that. ####### brutal.
Drawing by lots is brutal, no matter who wins. A legitimately tied election strikes me as a rare enough occurrence that they should re-run the race. Pretty much guaranteed to have a higher turnout, so the result would better reflect the will of the majority.
   753. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5600750)
Wolff was given access specifically to write the book. Apparently, he had previously written complimentary profiles on pre-political Trump/TrumpCo.... and the dumbasses just figured his love was more enduring.

According to one report, part or all of the reason Trump allowed the access was because he really liked the photograph of himself on the cover of a magazine Wolff had written for.
   754. BDC Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5600752)
SCOTUS turned down the appeal early in 2016 from the bordering state challenges

Thanks, zonk!

I guess a huge practical problem is how to devote enough federal enforcement resources to close down all the businesses. Maybe in the first few weeks of implementation in Colorado, but now it's lots of large states. A nice cease-and-desist letter from Jeff Sessions is not going to sway anybody at this point. He'd have to send in agents, and that means he'd have to hire and pay them, and if there's anything a Republican hates more than ganja, it's providing jobs for the takers :)

755. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5600751)
Well, then my test suggests you are not a millennial.

Your test suggests I am one, which suggests it is less than 100% accurate. My sons are millenials (according to most definitions), so there is that.
   756. PepTech Posted: January 04, 2018 at 11:59 AM (#5600754)
Wolff was given access specifically to write the book.
That's correct. Here's Wolff's explanation of how he came to write this book:
I interviewed Donald Trump for The Hollywood Reporter in June 2016, and he seemed to have liked — or not disliked — the piece I wrote. "Great cover!" his press assistant, Hope Hicks, emailed me after it came out (it was a picture of a belligerent Trump in mirrored sunglasses). After the election, I proposed to him that I come to the White House and report an inside story for later publication — journalistically, as a fly on the wall — which he seemed to misconstrue as a request for a job. No, I said. I'd like to just watch and write a book. "A book?" he responded, losing interest. "I hear a lot of people want to write books," he added, clearly not understanding why anybody would. "Do you know Ed Klein?"— author of several virulently anti-Hillary books. "Great guy. I think he should write a book about me." But sure, Trump seemed to say, knock yourself out.

Since the new White House was often uncertain about what the president meant or did not mean in any given utterance, his non-disapproval became a kind of passport for me to hang around — checking in each week at the Hay-Adams hotel, making appointments with various senior staffers who put my name in the "system," and then wandering across the street to the White House and plunking myself down, day after day, on a West Wing couch.
Doesn't seem like NDA's were requested. They checked a journalist in on a regular basis to watch and listen. What outcome did they expect?
   757. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5600755)
When I'm traveling - and renting a car/driving in NJ - it always freaks me out when the attendant approaches me when I get out of the car... until I remember the dumb law.

That said, one of the uglier arguments I got into with a law enforcement officer was at a gas a station in Indiana (self-service, of course) -- and said PO was smoking a cigar as he filled his tank... which elicited a shocked WTF Are you Doing?!?!? from me. When he brushed me off with an "It's OK, I'm a cop" -- I (while rapidly moving away) explained that the laws of combustion have their own methods of enforcement, the conversation rapidly degenerated.
   758. canadian shield Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5600756)
There aren't many full serves left in my part of the great white north. If I need gas, am near one, and it's <= -25C I will go for it.
   759. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5600757)

Illinois had self serve back in the 70's for crissakes.
   760. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5600759)
A lawyer representing President Trump sought Thursday to stop the publication of a new behind-the-scenes book about the White House

This can't be true. Only Hillary Clinton would ever seek to stop publication of books.

There are First Amendment implications here but it's not an isolated 1A case. Bannon apparently signed a confidentiality and non-disparagement agreement. Those have weight in a typical private context but here, Trump is now president, so the First Amendment protects more of Bannon's speech than would have been protected otherwise. Plus Bannon has wider latitude to speak about his official government duties.

So (to amend my #735) I do think Trump has the losing end of the legal argument. (While the contractual claims are weakened by the First Amendment given that Trump is president, the defamation claims are particularly zeroes - they'll go nowhere.)
   761. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5600761)
Gryffindor: Brave and gallant
Slytherin: Playing the angles
Hufflepuff: Loyal and hardworking
Ravenclaw: Intellectual and studious

Gryffindor is England.
Ravenclaw is Scotland.
Hufflepuff is Wales.
Slytherin is Ireland.
   762. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5600762)
Bannon was quoted. Doesn't mean anyone likes him.

I imagine we could find a post where you quoted HRC. If Misirlou, for example, said you were in bed with her, you would loudly and repeatedly demand an apology for the vicious smear to your character. Interesting that you do not apply this standard to yourself.

The constant attempts by folks here to turn the tables on me in some sort of gotcha game (no YOU'RE the liar!) have gone past the lame point and now have a direct bearing on the seriousness of the person making the lame attempts.
   763. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5600763)

Ray believes the press should be a propaganda outlet for press releases.
   764. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5600764)

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on Dan to scream about first amendment infringement on this one.
   765. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:08 PM (#5600765)
Wolff was given access specifically to write the book.

That's correct. Here's Wolff's explanation of how he came to write this book:

Certainly tracks --

Among other commentaries I've seen around the evolving conflagration were other authors that have written books on Trumpism being told Trump will only judge the books by their covers (literally).

Why any nominally educated people continue to insist on shredding their own reputations by defending the indefensible is beyond me, but whatever... your fire. I'm just popping the popcorn on it.
   766. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:10 PM (#5600768)

No one did that, Ray. Happily sitting back and watching two bastards stab each other to death while not calling EMT doesn't mean you're in bed with either of them.
   767. PepTech Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:10 PM (#5600769)
now have a direct bearing on the seriousness of the person making the lame attempts.
Whatever, Ray. Claiming that "you folks" are in "bed" with "child-molester-supporting Bannon" has a direct bearing on your seriousness. Lighten up.
   768. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:11 PM (#5600770)
Doesn't seem like NDA's were requested. They checked a journalist in on a regular basis to watch and listen. What outcome did they expect?

The legal issue with the confidentiality agreement, however weak it is for Trump -- it's weak but certainly not frivolous -- is with respect to Bannon. Bannon is the one who signed the confidentiality agreement.
   769. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:11 PM (#5600771)
Yup.

Have you ever see a coiled hose that suddenly has hugely pressurized water run through it? We all have. It swings and jerks violently this way and that. It gets everyone wet. There’s violence and chaos but no real plan. It’s reflex. That’s our President. But it’s not water, it’s fire. This instinctive, peristaltic kind of chaotic action is the way to understand him. Not any theory. That’s what’s happening today and will continue for every day of his Presidency, albeit with lulls of lethargy and torpor here and there.

He is likely the most reviled and mocked man in the entire world today. He is also the most powerful, because of the unique attributes and powers of the American presidency. He’s tossing around nuclear threats with another man on the other side of the globe who has power similarly because he was born into it. Another legacy kid with nuclear weapons. The whole situation is comical, mind-boggling and deeply dangerous.
   770. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:12 PM (#5600772)
The constant attempts by folks here to turn the tables on me in some sort of gotcha game (no YOU'RE the liar!) have gone past the lame point and now have a direct bearing on the seriousness of the person making the lame attempts.

What is "Things a douche bag would say", Alex?
   771. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:17 PM (#5600775)
I love it!

Fighting over Bannon.

My only real disappointment in this fun is that it would appear Bannon is getting himself knocked out in the first round... I wish there were some way to carry him for a few more rounds.
   772. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:20 PM (#5600778)
Look at Ray, carrying uncarryable water for Donald Trump. "Do you also think that interviews conducted via email are beyond bounds, Gonfalon?" He actually thinks he's found a gotcha worthy of... melodramatic ellipses. The poor miserable putz.

You've lost it. Keep trying to pretend that a media interview is the same as a primaries debate. You're beclowning yourself.
   773. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:25 PM (#5600779)
You've lost it. Keep trying to pretend that a media interview is the same as a primaries debate. You're beclowning yourself.

Says the guy pretending it is normal for media interviews to distribute all the questions to the interviewee well before the interview.
   774. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:26 PM (#5600780)

This is definitely YC's talking point, though I have fully signed onto it, as well as his corollary point that the physically weak are happy to flex their randomly assigned brain muscle (via legal pedantry) while they scream injustice if the physically strong attempt to flex their randomly assigned arm muscle (via a well deserved face slap/punching.)

I believe we came to the points that lawyers who claim to be libertarians aghast at the reach and depth of the state's power are either hypocrites, liars, fools, or some combination of the three; because they quite literally are the clerks of Kafka's castle, sucking down the sweet, sweet teat juice of the state they claim to oppose.
   775. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5600782)
Sam, please fix that unfortunate typo.
   776. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5600784)
GOP Strategist Says Midterm Blowout Will Doom Trump

Republican strategist Rick Tyler told MSNBC that Republican will turn on President Trump and impeach him should they lose heavily in the 2018 midterms.

Said Tyler: “When does the Republican Party turn? When they get wiped out. That’s what happens. If they get wiped out in 2018, the Republicans will absolutely turn on Donald Trump.”

I have my doubts, in fact I think he is dead wrong, but hey I hope to have the opportunity to be proven either right or wrong.

EDIT: To clarify I think it much more likely that Trump will turn on the rest of the GOP, throw them under the bus and work with Democrats than it is the GOP turns on him and impeaches - votes for impeaching - him.
   777. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:34 PM (#5600786)
Sam, please fix that unfortunate typo.

?
   778. BrianBrianson Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:35 PM (#5600788)
I mean, they're fools, because they imagine this large, sprawling, widely respected legal system that essentially is the government would persist, rather than the result of feudalism or warlordism that you'd actually get.
   779. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5600790)
Yup.

Have you ever see a coiled hose that suddenly has hugely pressurized water run through it? We all have. It swings and jerks violently this way and that. It gets everyone wet. There’s violence and chaos but no real plan. It’s reflex. That’s our President. But it’s not water, it’s fire. This instinctive, peristaltic kind of chaotic action is the way to understand him. Not any theory. That’s what’s happening today and will continue for every day of his Presidency, albeit with lulls of lethargy and torpor here and there.

He is likely the most reviled and mocked man in the entire world today. He is also the most powerful, because of the unique attributes and powers of the American presidency. He’s tossing around nuclear threats with another man on the other side of the globe who has power similarly because he was born into it. Another legacy kid with nuclear weapons. The whole situation is comical, mind-boggling and deeply dangerous.

Here's another telling quote from that same TPM link. I wonder what JE would say about it, given his friendship with the despicable dirtball that was Andrew Breitbart:
Since Breitbart the website has become a strange amalgam of right-wing chop shop with a Stalinist sensibility purveying fake news with an antic edge, there’s been a backdrop of criticism on the right that the Bannon-era Breitbart represents a betrayal of the late Andrew Breitbart who died in 2012....

Let me share a few thoughts about this. Breitbart had at least elements of publishing genius. He was a critical player in the growth of three media properties that have had a defining force for good or ill in the last twenty years: The Drudge Report, Huffington Post (yes, true, though you may not have known) and his own eponymous media brand. He was also fascinating as a person. I did not know him well at all. But I did have a number of encounters with him and a few exchanges by phone and email. He had an immense charisma. He was also completely nuts. It was no act. The idea that Breitbart himself would be ashamed or shocked about what “Breitbart” has become is quite simply nonsense. Breitbart’s media legacy is a profound one, for good or ill. But it is and was always one of nutball conspiracy theories, instrumentalist propaganda over anything one could reasonably see as journalism (and consciously so) and in the final analysis right-wing grievance journalism. Fundamentally, rightist grievance politics and rightist grievance journalism. Bannon carried on Breitbart’s legacy in every way....
   780. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:39 PM (#5600791)
GOP Strategist Says Midterm Blowout Will Doom Trump

Trump is doomed, Chapter 12,074.

Really now.
   781. Lassus Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:39 PM (#5600792)
?

YC vs. YR, but pretty sure context wins out there.
   782. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:40 PM (#5600793)
One poster here actually predicted that Trump wouldn't win a single primary, IIRC (and I'm pretty sure I do RC).
   783. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:41 PM (#5600794)
YC vs. YR, but pretty sure context wins out there.

Not following. YC is supposedly a retired attorney.
   784. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5600795)
I have my doubts, in fact I think he is dead wrong, but hey I hope to have the opportunity to be proven either right or wrong.

Is it too late to make bold predictions for 2018?

If not - I predict that by the fall, impeachment - if Trump actually last through the fall -- won't be a "Gee, IDK - does it go too far?" issue candidates are leery of touching, but actually an expected stance held by successful candidate.

Look at your clown, Trumpkins!

He never had "it" to begin with, he's losing "it" (whatever "it" he had) had an accelerating pace. He's also hated by a large majority of the country -- inching towards a super-majority. His own babysitters can no longer keep their disgust at his unfitness from spilling into the public. His fanboys are now being served with cease and desist letters. His spawn are moronic slack-jawed idiots - and they're all he really has left.

Do you really want to be the last person to leave the room before it's finally time to turn out the lights?

It's going to be the inverse of those famous games where hundreds of thousands of people claim they were at the game -- except in this case, in a few years - everybody will be claiming that they never supported him to begin with... too bad the internet never forgets.

Feels like we've finally come to an inflection point, where I no longer worry IF the orange dumbass will be toppled, but when (and whether he, himself, actually does the toppling in some way). Now - I find myself more interested in foiling the Republicans who are already trying to rinse out the Trump stain in preparation for the aftermath. He's yours. You provided him. You own him. You don't get to just pretend he wasn't your doing, your shame, and your problem -- and it ought to stick with you as an indictment on your core judgment for so long as you live.
   785. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:46 PM (#5600798)
Why do you care so much, Zonk, having long since abandoned the US and fled to Canada?

We'll take it from here.
   786. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:46 PM (#5600799)
The legal issue with the confidentiality agreement, however weak it is for Trump -- it's weak but certainly not frivolous -- is with respect to Bannon. Bannon is the one who signed the confidentiality agreement.

A definite non-lawyer asks: What would the practicality be of being able to prevent publication of a book written by a 3rd party that includes NDA-violating material? I mean, I would assume that a brief aside from Bannon wouldn't enable a book that is 99.98% based upon non-NDAed material to be blocked. Is there a proportion - 10%, 50%, 99% - of NDA-violating material that would potentially enable a publication to be prevented if the publishing party is not the offender, and the offender is not profiting from publication?

I did learn about tortious interference from watching 'The Insider', though not how to spell it.
   787. Traderdave Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:55 PM (#5600804)
Republican strategist Rick Tyler told MSNBC that Republican will turn on President Trump and impeach him should they lose heavily in the 2018 midterms.

Said Tyler: “When does the Republican Party turn? When they get wiped out. That’s what happens. If they get wiped out in 2018, the Republicans will absolutely turn on Donald Trump.”

As much as I'd enjoy that, it's not gonna happen. The R's are so extremely hyper partisan that they'd never do that. A few renegades might turn, but the bulk of the party would still support Satan in a Hillary pantsuit if there's a capital R following his name.

This is a group of people who STILL say Sadaam had nukes and that invading Iraq was necessary and proper. They'd eat their own #### before admitting they were wrong about a fellow Republican.
   788. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: January 04, 2018 at 12:57 PM (#5600806)
Feels like we've finally come to an inflection point, where I no longer worry IF the orange dumbass will be toppled, but when (and whether he, himself, actually does the toppling in some way). Now - I find myself more interested in foiling the Republicans who are already trying to rinse out the Trump stain in preparation for the aftermath. He's yours. You provided him. You own him. You don't get to just pretend he wasn't your doing, your shame, and your problem -- and it ought to stick with you as an indictment on your core judgment for so long as you live.

If writing a single post doomed and discredited Krugman for all eternity, one wonders what a vote for Trump - after months to consider it - would warrant.

That said experience has taught me that tribalism is strong, memory and causality are weak, and so Trump will only hurt the GOP (once he is out of office) for an election cycle or maybe two at the outside.

I still don't think GOP President Trump has definitely done anything I would declare to be impeachable - that I know of for certain yet. I have a high bar for such things, as we have discussed.

Impeachment would really damage the GOP - since they can't deny everything or use the disappearing President trick (Shrub, where are you?) - after having voted to convict their own guy. Well not as easily anyway. I have my doubts that the GOP will ever vote to impeach or convict Trump, though I admit Mueller might surprise me with a really strong case for it.

EDIT: And what Traderdave said.
   789. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:05 PM (#5600809)
Why do you care so much, Zonk, having long since abandoned the US and fled to Canada?

We'll take it from here.

I've made it very clear many times over that I have every intention of returning to piss on your graves, root through the rubble of your Trumpian lives to salvage anything of value, and do my chortling in person rather than from afar.

Indeed, my last TRP renewal just completed will probably be my last, period. That takes me through most of the summer, but I'm eyeing a triumphant return sometime in the early summer time frame - still trying to decide if it's back to sweet home Chicago, or, given how well working completely remote has turned out - potentially trying out another locale on for size.

Actually had a lot of conversations with relatives and friends over the holidays on it - and I'll admit again (as I've admitted previously) - I did actually miscalculate Trump's incompetence. My fear was always that while he's an idiot, he was at least a brutishly competent enough idiot with enough brainwashed fanboys to create the potential for real unrest that could spiral rapidly out of control.

Turns out, I was wrong... he doesn't really even that sort of raw, brutish competence strongmen tend to possess to maintain their own self-interests. He's proven to be so clownishly incompetent - and his orange zombies such losers and layabouts - it's all been nothing more than a bunch of twitter sturm und drang. Sad. As they say.

The final act of his little reality TV play looks entirely predictable - beaten, humiliated babysitters trying to salvage shreds of their reputation by explaining they were just "doing their duty" and thought he was an idiot all along... defenders just desperately praying for the pantsings to end, tired of toeing the ridiculous line... and the manchild himself going out with nothing but a rage whimper. I suppose there remains danger in the last, but it feels less and less every day.
   790. Traderdave Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:06 PM (#5600810)
I have my doubts that the GOP will ever vote to impeach or convict Trump, though I admit Mueller might surprise me with a really strong case for it.

I believe Mueller will come up with a damning case against him for pre-POTUS money laundering & similar crimes, but even if a flipped House impeaches, that isn't enough to get a removal vote in the Senate.

The only thing IMO that would get that are incontrovertible proof that Trump knowingly colluded with Russia AND that said collusion included money changing hands.
   791. PepTech Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:06 PM (#5600811)
Right, but Bannon didn't write the book, Wolff did.

*If* there were any heft behind confidentiality for Bannon, I don't see how it would apply now, to Wolff. Wolff has heard what he has heard at this point, regardless of whether Bannon should have said it or not. Unless there's some kind of legal privilege attached to NDAs that extend to third parties? I have never heard that there is, but I'm open to suggestions^.

Trump can complain about/sue Bannon all he wants, but it's pretty clear the administration allowed Wolff to wander around freely and listen to whatever hallway conversations he could hear, with no NDA, so actually stopping publication of Wolff's book seems untenable.

^ ETA: Diet Coke to 786 :)
   792. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:09 PM (#5600813)
AFAIC I don't care whether the GOP candidates stick with Trump or abandon him, since it's a win-win situation. Abandon him, they suffer in the primaries. Stick with him, they're stuck with him during the general election, and that strategy will have its limitations in districts outside the deepest red of red states.

As an alternative way of protesting, I'd much rather they'd just had the cahones to vote against Trump's horrific cabinet member nominations, because the Jeff Sessions and the Scott Pruitts are doing at least as much damage to the country as Trump himself, and it's not damage that's going to be all that easy to undo even after a saner president starts to reverse course.
   793. Zonk Rocks You Like a Sharpiecane Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:09 PM (#5600814)
See?

A whimper.

"That guy who said some of those mean things and spent nearly two years as my greatest champion - the guy that almost everyone else hates - said last night I was great!"

Congrats, dude... you managed wring another handy J out of the guy who made his name giving them to you to begin with. Quite an achievement!
   794. BrianBrianson Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:11 PM (#5600815)
That said experience has taught me that tribalism is strong, memory and causality are weak, and so Trump will only hurt the GOP (once he is out of office) for an election cycle or maybe two at the outside.

There's a strong effect where politically out of the loop people fix their voting patterns pretty hard when they're ~18. Trump making the GOP brand awful to current young people will hurt them in the long run (to some extent).
   795. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:12 PM (#5600816)
Re: Ray, #772:

Zzzzzzz.
   796. Ray (CTL) Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5600817)
That said experience has taught me that tribalism is strong,

As evidenced by the left's support for Hillary Clinton despite saying they didn't even like her.

But she was the D, so that was that.
   797. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5600818)
And more wreckage:

Trump to allow drilling in all U.S. waters, despite concerns of Pentagon and coastal communities
The Trump administration unveiled a controversial plan Thursday to permit drilling in all U.S. waters, including protected areas of the Arctic and the Atlantic, where oil and gas exploration is opposed by governors from New Jersey to Florida, nearly a dozen attorneys general, more than 100 U.S. lawmakers and the Defense Department.

More than 3 billion barrels of oil is recoverable on the outer continental shelf, along with more than 30 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, according to the Interior Department, which announced the plan. States stand to gain royalties from extraction of these natural resources, and drilling could create hundreds of jobs.

But the plan faces a wave of bipartisan state opposition, led in part by Republican Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland, who has said: “I’m not in favor of offshore drilling.” A catastrophe on the scale of the Deepwater Horizon explosion and oil leak in 2010 would be disastrous for one of the state’s most precious resources, the Chesapeake Bay watershed.

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster (R) is opposed out of concern over drilling’s impact on the state’s natural resources. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie fired off a letter to the Interior agency that issues permits saying the state “strongly opposes any waters off our coastline being considered for inclusion in this leasing program,” citing its $44 billion beach tourism industry that creates more than 300,000 jobs.

The Democratic governors of North Carolina and Delaware are also opposed. Republican Gov. Rick Scott of Florida, where beach tourism on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts generates nearly $50 billion dollars and a half million jobs annually, according to a Florida Atlantic University report, said Thursday that he adamantly opposes drilling off the state’s coast and requested a meeting with Zinke....

Pass the popcorn!
   798. DavidFoss Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5600819)
Impeachment would really damage the GOP - since they can't deny everything or use the disappearing President trick

I don't think it would be that big of a deal to the party as a whole. They'd get shellacked in one even-yeared election, but that might happen anyways. Two years later, there's still going to be the small-government-vs-large-government debate and Republican candidates will appeal to those who think D's are going too far. Look at the 2010 GOP comeback.

House impeachment might happen if the D's take the House, but for it to succeed they'd need a whopping 67 Senate votes. The Mueller probe would have to come up with more than just collusion and obstruction of that to get 67 conviction votes. Large scale money-laundering? Without 67 votes, impeachment is just a toothless censure.
   799. BDC Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5600820)
I still don't think GOP President Trump has definitely done anything I would declare to be impeachable

I don't think that Donald Trump is mentally well-organized enough to commit a high crime or misdemeanor going forward. If it happens that he laundered money for Putin before he was President, I can't see Republicans impeaching him for that. That's just smart business!

I do think there's a non-zero chance that somebody will have to 25th Trump out of office at some point. I base this not on palace gossip (though there's a lot that tends that way), but on the obvious public fact that Trump cannot speak or tweet coherently unless he is chained to a script. One imagines (maybe naïvely) that there is some point beyond which he won't be suffered any more.

Coke to Traderdave
   800. dlf Posted: January 04, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5600821)

Thanks for the reply Ray. I think that the difference in our outlook here is that I think it is vitally important for the nation, its people, and frankly the world, to understand the facts on which our President bases his decisions, the opinions he holds, and the rationale underlying those beliefs and not at all important to allow the veneer of such to mask what is really a prepared speech to an uncritical audience. This need is not one that exists only during the election cycle, but instead extends during the entire presidency. In fact, I believe that it is much more important to establish these issues than it is for any individual litigant to do so in a civil trial. As such, it is important that we have investigatory journalists asking penetrating questions and follow ups rather than merely providing an outlet for canned answers to pre-screened questions and think that polite and respectful but deposition-like questioning is not only valid, but highly valuable.
Page 8 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.