Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 05, 2018

OTP 2018 2018 Nov 5 - The Trump dilemma hits the Boston Red Sox amid a wave of White House boycotts in sports

The Boston Red Sox, fresh off their historic World Series win, are the latest team to be faced with the Trump dilemma.

The team’s manager Alex Cora said that the Sox haven’t decided whether they will visit the White House if they’re invited by Trump, adding that he wants to use the team’s platform in the right way, according to the Associated Press.

“For me, I just don’t think it’s the right thing to do.” Connolly said in August, according to Sports Illustrated. “Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think there’ll be a few guys not going, too. Like I said, it has nothing to do with politics, it’s about what’s right and wrong, and we’ll leave it at that.”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 05, 2018 at 08:40 AM | 2346 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics, world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 24 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 08:43 AM (#5782050)

Tom Bonier

@tbonier

An incredible 5.8 million ballots have been cast in Texas. That's 1.1 million more votes cast than in the entire 2014 election!

Voters age 18-39 account for 24% of those ballots. They were only 13% of the early vote in '14.

These are not minor shifts we're witnessing.
7:27 PM - Nov 4, 2018

Meanwhile, I see the Cruz and Abbott camps are starting the finger-pointing early....
   2. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 08:46 AM (#5782052)

Larry Sabato

@LarrySabato
· 22h

Just had the umpteenth reporter and Texas political veteran from both parties tell me they think the polls are wrong on Texas Senate. Latest guy has reported from 7 @BetoORourke rallies recently & believes an upset will happen. As we saw in ‘16, polls are imprecise instruments.

scott bennett @mscottb1948

I managed campaigns in Texas for years. I wrote about them as a journalist for 15 years. I’m a Republican. I think O’Rourke will win. GOP internals think so too.
10:00 AM - Nov 4, 2018
   3. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: November 05, 2018 at 08:47 AM (#5782053)
I’m with the kids at Disney

Technically, you know, you can't be "at Disney." You can be at the Walt Disney World Resort, Florida, or possibly at the Disneyland Resort, California; but there is no simple "Disney" available at which one can be. This is a common mistake so we will let you off this time.

I see what you did there, BDC. Very nice.
   4. PreservedFish Posted: November 05, 2018 at 08:51 AM (#5782056)
That's not even in the same zip code as a good troll comment.
   5. Chicago Joe Posted: November 05, 2018 at 08:52 AM (#5782057)
However, you can be on Disney. I’ll just leave it at that.
   6. , Posted: November 05, 2018 at 08:55 AM (#5782058)
You could even be in Disney.
   7. Chicago Joe Posted: November 05, 2018 at 08:59 AM (#5782063)
God ####### dammit Bunyon, you can’t be in Disney! What the #### is your problem?
   8. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 09:02 AM (#5782064)
   9. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 09:07 AM (#5782065)
Two things that are true...

President Barack Obama pulled no punches Sunday, joking that the Trump administration had “racked up enough indictments to field a football team.”

“Nobody in my administration got indicted,” Obama said during a Sunday campaign stop. “Which, by the way, is not that high a bar.”
   10. , Posted: November 05, 2018 at 09:09 AM (#5782067)
@8: I'm sure there are remains somewhere.
   11. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: November 05, 2018 at 09:11 AM (#5782068)
How about "up Disney"?
   12. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 09:28 AM (#5782074)
Last day for poll junkies... at least, last day until we go on the methadone treatment of a year or so of approve/disapprove...

CNN/SRSS - Generic ballot 55D -42R
Marist:
MO-SEN McCaskill 50 - Hawley 47

Florida:
SEN Nelson -50 - Scott -46
GOV Gillum -50 -DeSantis -46

Via Nate Cohn - some Sienna "live poll" results... these are unnormalized, very small samples, etc... so, not all that meaningful, but FWIW -

IL-14 Underwood 49 - Hultgren (R-inc) 43
KY-6 McGrath 44 - Barr (R-inc) 44
WA-8 Schrier 48 - Rossi (R-open) 45
TX-32 Allred 46 - Session (R-inc) 42
MI-8 Slotkin 49 - Bishop (R-inc) 43
GA-6 McBath 46 - Handel (R-inc) 44
CA-48 Rouda 46 - Rohrabacher (R/Putin-inc) 45
NY-22 Tenney (R-inc) 46 - Brindisi 45
VA-7 Brat (R-inc) 46 - Spanberger 44
NY-19 Delgado 43 - Faso (R-inc) 42
IA-4 King (R-inc) 47 - Scholten 42

So... the best news for the GOP is their Nazi. Well done.

13. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 05, 2018 at 09:35 AM (#5782076)
‘Trump Has Hijacked the Election’

“Two days out from an expected Democratic takeover of the House, Republicans focused on the chamber are profoundly worried that Trump’s obsession with all things immigration will exacerbate their losses.”

Said one senior GOP aide: “Trump has hijacked the election. This is not what we expected the final weeks of the election to focus on.”

Republicans Think They’ll Lose the House

Playbook: “The general consensus among Republicans is that they will lose the House, and end up in at least a five-seat minority — that would correspond to a 28-seat loss. Senior Republicans tell us that even in a worst-case scenario, they do not expect to lose 40 seats. A prescient prediction or famous last words? Only time will tell. We spoke to several senior Republican lawmakers yesterday, and only one made the case that the GOP will keep the House.”

POLITICO's final race ratings: Democrats take the House, GOP likely holds the Senate

Republicans would have to sweep virtually all of the 22 races currently rated as toss-ups to hold onto their House majority — a nearly insurmountable challenge — according to a new POLITICO analysis.

Democrats have pulled ahead in nearly enough races to claim a majority of the 435 seats up for grabs in the first national election of Donald Trump’s presidency, with POLITICO’s final race ratings showing 216 seats in the Democratic column — those are either solidly Democratic, likely Democratic or at least leaning Democratic.

14. BrianBrianson Posted: November 05, 2018 at 09:41 AM (#5782077)
One can certainly be in Disney, Oklahoma. Perhaps looking up church baptismal records to demonstrate your Cherokee ancestry.
   15. Swoboda is freedom Posted: November 05, 2018 at 09:46 AM (#5782078)
You could even be in Disney.

Once you unfroze the head.
   16. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5782079)
The grey lady talks to a woman for Trump...

Turns out, she's a twice-accused con artist...

Well, at least she's probably looking for her next mark in the right place and I feel slightly less bad for her next victim.
   17. BrianBrianson Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:06 AM (#5782083)
Meh - progressives have long advocated this "people should want people of their demographic group to get elected to represent them". While we can debate how well that's gone over, it shouldn't be shocking that some con-artists would be seriously Pro-Trump.
   18. DJS Holiday-Related Pun Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5782085)
arguing with Andy over his own violations at this point is beyond silly unless you're simply trying to change the subject and convince people that they shouldn't take Andy seriously.

Everyone has to have a hobby and if it's a public service, so much the better.
   19. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:14 AM (#5782087)
Meh - progressives have long advocated this "people should want people of their demographic group to get elected to represent them". While we can debate how well that's gone over, it shouldn't be shocking that some con-artists would be seriously Pro-Trump.

Indeed.

David Duke @DrDavidDuke
· Nov 2, 2018

Go Trump Go! Your Midterm Ad is a masterpiece personifying the insanity of our immigration Policy. Bravo Trump! https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1057728445386539008 …

20. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5782091)
Q...

Gillum 50 - DeSantis 43
Nelson 51 - Scott 44.

21. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:25 AM (#5782092)
The only polls that matter are the ones that are counted after tomorrow. While I'm hopeful that those who stayed home in 2016 see how their decision ###### us all, it remains to be seen whether or not they're the ones who will bring the Blue Wave.
   22. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:31 AM (#5782093)
The only polls that matter are the ones that are counted after tomorrow.

This.
   23. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:33 AM (#5782094)

While funny, I have a bit of a quibble with this representation of progressive goals.
   24. PreservedFish Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5782095)
Go Trump Go!
Go Trump Go!
Hey, Mar-a-Lago, whaddya say?
Trump is gonna win today!
   25. Ray (CTL) Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:39 AM (#5782096)
1693. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 04, 2018 at 08:41 PM (#5781999)

I’d be okay if the fam went by carbon monoxide or something painless. Flappy should suffer long and hard though. Cancer. Chemo. Repeat. That sort of thing.

I imagine you've never had to watch a close family member or friend suffer through the physical and mental pain and anguish of cancer, chemo, and then death. This not only tortures the person in almost unimaginable ways _after_ the person has already been given a death sentence, it devastates families and loved ones who are there to witness it and to try to help in any way they can, which is never enough. (Indeed as I was literally in the middle of typing this I got a call from a friend whose father has been diagnosed with glioblastoma.)

I'm unfriending you on Facebook.
   26. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5782098)
Early vote totals -

Florida is about 950K votes shy of its total 2014 turnout- but perhaps more importantly, the R/D split in EVs is roughly even (40%-40%); Dems usually trail by a few points in FL early votes.

Nevada joins Texas in its early vote already eclipsing its entire 2014 turnout.

Tennessee's totals are only through 11/1 - but it looks like TN will also eclipse total 2014 turnout just per early voting.

Georgia may come within a 100K or so in eclipsing total 2014 turnout in early voting.

Arizona looks like it basically matched total 2014 turnout in early votes.

Colorado about 2-300K behind total 2014 turnout.

Sure, sure, sure... we don't know exactly who all these mammoth EV turnouts voted for... but as a Democrat? I like these numbers. I LOVE these numbers.
   27. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:43 AM (#5782099)
Wait, Dr. David Duke?
   28. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:43 AM (#5782100)

I think FB notifies the unfriended, so no need to report it here.
   29. BrianBrianson Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:44 AM (#5782102)
While I'm hopeful that those who stayed home in 2016 see how their decision ###### us all

Hey, in fairness, only citizens are allowed to vote, as I understand it.
   30. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5782103)
Technically, you know, you can't be "at Disney." You can be at the Walt Disney World Resort, Florida, or possibly at the Disneyland Resort, California; but there is no simple "Disney" available at which one can be.
Maybe we dug up Walt and we’re standing on his corpse.

EDIT: I can’t believe I owe so many Cokes for that comment. You people are sick.
   31. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:46 AM (#5782104)

I have long said Rickey! is out of line and I say so again - the comment you mention was way out of bounds. I don't blame you.
   32. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:46 AM (#5782105)
Wait, Dr. David Duke?

Yes.... a doctorate from the "Interregional Academy of Personnel Management"
   33. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5782106)
David I hope for an after action report on Disney with the family. Have a great vacation.
   34. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:49 AM (#5782108)

I think FB notifies the unfriended, so no need to report it here

Virtue signaling is its own need.
   35. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:49 AM (#5782109)
Picking up the conversation of copyright trolls from the last thread, if anyone is interested:

ElRoy, do you come into contact with terrible people like this?
Yes, we do have to defend clients from them from time to time.

What kind of person does that type of ####?
Of course there were a couple of "lawyers, haha" responses on the last thread, and that's not inaccurate, but my response would be:

Capitalists, baby! Wherever there is a loophole in the law, of course you will find plenty of corporations and lawyers eager to profit from it, and there are companies who treat "copyright enforcement" of their e-newsletters as a significant and regular revenue stream to be maximized.

Here, there are really two loopholes: First, the general way in which the American system gives a plaintiff who is actually willing to file a complaint virtually all of the leverage in early settlement negotiations (provided the complaint can withstand a motion to dismiss, which is a low bar).

The second, and more specifically relevant, is that the Copyright Act provides that a plaintiff can seek statutory damages (under certain circumstances) that are currently set by law at a minimum of $750 and a maximum of $30,000 per work infringed, regardless of the number of copies made, the number of people who saw it, etc. If the infringement is deemed willful, the maximum rises to $150,000 per work.

There is a general principle that to be upheld, a damages award must usually at least have some reasonable relationship to the plaintiff's actual damages. However, multiple circuits have held that this rule does not apply to copyright statutory damages, because Congress set the range for a reason and to de facto modify it would be to usurp Congress's power. Damn passivist judges.

So, in the case of an e-newsletter, let's say you have an assistant who forwards it each week for 2 years to 10 people, when the subscriber only has a one-seat subscription that costs $5,000/yr. An unlimited-access subscription costs $15,000/yr. So the publisher's actual damages would be $20,000. However, they will send a letter claiming entitlement to damages of $15.6 million (104 x 150k), and generously offering to settle for $10 million or whatever. It's pretty disgusting.

36. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5782110)
David I hope for an after action report on Disney with the family. Have a great vacation.

Bonus points if you make a plea for bail money because you're a political prisoner based on a kicking a giant mouse in the butt... double bonus points if you ask if you have to draw us a diagram.
   37. Shredder Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5782112)
Well, at least she's probably looking for her next mark in the right place and I feel slightly less bad for her next victim.
What's hilarious is that it looks like, in the picture of her in the NYT article, she's wearing the items she bought fraudulently. That's ballsy.
I think FB notifies the unfriended, so no need to report it here.
I don't believe this is true.
   38. PreservedFish Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:55 AM (#5782113)
I wonder if David will hire a handicapped person to help him cut the lines?
   39. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: November 05, 2018 at 10:55 AM (#5782114)

FB friends like you are a dime a dozen, Pajama Boy.
   40. BrianBrianson Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5782119)
I was recently surprised to discover someone unfriended me on facebook - I hadn't been notified, not sure when it happened. An old friend I hadn't spoken to in a while - probably doing one of those "message me or be deleted" purges that those who spend too much time there are always advertising.
   41. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:02 AM (#5782120)
I can believe 35...

Several years back, we launched a suite of e-newsletters in several practice areas - much as I like to think the content is excellent and we did some really innovative things in the delivery channels, the one single most consistently praised aspect?

Unlike our usual model which does involve user/seat licenses, etc -- we made an exception/granted a re-use license to subscribers that went well outside of the industry standard... basically - letting subscribers share it with others in the firm, with clients, etc. Basically, letting them forward/share/etc the content so long as they included proper attribution and such sharing wasn't commercial in nature. Not only did it not hurt sales, but we've also gotten much higher than usual willingness from firms to contribute material for it.
   42. Lassus Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:06 AM (#5782122)
I think FB notifies the unfriended, so no need to report it here

Shredder beat me to it, they do not. Kinda takes the fun out of the whole thing, if you ask me.
   43. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5782123)
Zonk, your company's policies intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your e-newsletter.
   44. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:12 AM (#5782130)
I can believe 35...

Sure. Lawyers are the worst scum imaginable and have intentionally designed a system that lets them essentially rob and extort everyone who isn’t a lawyer unless they also pay the cartel by hiring a lawyer themselves to mitigate the damage. They’ve collectively usurped the role organized crime used to occupy.
   45. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:12 AM (#5782131)
Shredder beat me to it, they do not. Kinda takes the fun out of the whole thing, if you ask me.

Yeah I have been unfriended by my sister (the religious conservative) and her husband and refriended a couple times at least. I never know when it happens except I think I might get a notice when refriended (Honestly not sure, I just accept connections from direct family without thinking about it).

Family, what can you do? Friend on FB or not they are still family, so whatever works for them is fine by me. I don't spend much time on FB anyway (and I am fairly generous with unfollowing - not unfriending - those who I am not interested in following).
   46. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:12 AM (#5782132)
Zonk, your company's policies intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your e-newsletter.

Heh, well - I just had annual ethics training and I am required to state that I am not speaking on behalf of X... but IP is actually one of the areas we have.

The re-use policy...
   47. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:16 AM (#5782134)
Facebook does not notify people if they are unfriended or blocked. Only if they have a new connection request.

I'll try to get by, Ray. You crawl into whatever safe space you need, snowflake.
   48. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:18 AM (#5782136)
I imagine you've never had to watch a close family member or friend suffer through the physical and mental pain and anguish of cancer, chemo, and then death.

Oh, I'm fully aware of the process, Raymond. There's a reason I chose it for Clapper. It's probably not enough for someone like him, but it's at least a fun thought experiment.
   49. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:20 AM (#5782138)
Sure. Lawyers are the worst scum imaginable and have intentionally designed a system that lets them essentially rob and extort everyone who isn’t a lawyer unless they also pay the cartel by hiring a lawyer themselves to mitigate the damage. They’ve collectively usurped the role organized crime used to occupy.
To be fair, corporations are way in on it too.
   50. BDC Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:22 AM (#5782140)
I'm just glad I never forward newsletters to anybody at work … not out of copyright awareness, just out of not wanting to be that guy.
   51. McCoy Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:23 AM (#5782141)
My current understanding of my recording practices is that they're only copyright violations if I watch the DVD more than once, which of course I frequently do, but not usually. And in some cases I record a movie and never get around to watching it.

My current understanding of my killing practices is they're only murders if it is not for self defense and that I intended to kill the person, which of course I frequently do but not usually. And in some cases I kill the person but never get around to robbing them.
   52. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:23 AM (#5782142)
Oh, I'm fully aware of the process, Raymond. There's a reason I chose it for Clapper. It's probably not enough for someone like him, but it's at least a fun thought experiment.
Dude. There is no need for this kind of stuff. It doesn't matter if you're "playing a character" or whatever. Yeah, sometimes we annoy the hell out of each other here, but we're all real people. This is getting way too personal, especially given that many of us here have actually had personal experiences with it.

Please. Let's turn it down several notches. Come on.
   53. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5782143)
I have long said Rickey! is out of line and I say so again

A new virtue signal car for you! And a new virtue signal car for you! And you! And you!!
   54. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5782148)
I have been unfriended by my sister (the religious conservative) and her husband and refriended a couple times at least.

I just block, ignore, and pretend they don't exist, most family members down in the swamps, at this point. I also severely limit the trips to visit my mom, who still understands basic morality and goodness, but who is unfortunately surrounded by a sea of Trump ####.
   55. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:32 AM (#5782152)
The American civil war didn't end. And Trump is a Confederate president

In the 158th year of the American civil war, also known as 2018, the Confederacy continues its recent resurgence. Its victims include black people, of course, but also immigrants, Jews, Muslims, Latinos, trans people, gay people and women who want to exercise jurisdiction over their bodies. The Confederacy battles in favor of uncontrolled guns and poisons, including toxins in streams, mercury from coal plants, carbon emissions into the upper atmosphere, and oil exploitation in previously protected lands and waters.

Its premise appears to be that protection of others limits the rights of white men, and those rights should be unlimited. The Brazilian philosopher of education Paulo Freire once noted that “the oppressors are afraid of losing the ‘freedom to oppress’”. Of course, not all white men support extending that old domination, but those who do see themselves and their privileges as under threat in a society in which women are gaining powers, and demographic shift is taking us to a US in which white people will be a minority by 2045.

But by all means, boys. Rub one out because I was uncivil to the Vichy scum Clapper.
   56. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5782154)
Hey hey hey what’d I miss?
   57. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5782155)

To be fair, corporations are way in on it too.

Corporations:lawyers Al Capone:baseball bat
   58. McCoy Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5782156)
I've read and heard about all the rainbows and sunshine before and midterms are much harder to predict than Presidential so I'm still sticking with I'll be ecstatic with a 51-49 or 52-48 GOP Senate majority.

If the Dems could get it to 50-50 that would be extremely troubling for the GOP. Every fringe position in the GOP would carry that much more weight. Does Mitch have enough control to stay Majority leader if it goes to 50-50?
   59. JL72 Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5782157)
I imagine you've never had to watch a close family member or friend suffer through the physical and mental pain and anguish of cancer, chemo, and then death. This not only tortures the person in almost unimaginable ways _after_ the person has already been given a death sentence, it devastates families and loved ones who are there to witness it and to try to help in any way they can, which is never enough. (Indeed as I was literally in the middle of typing this I got a call from a friend whose father has been diagnosed with glioblastoma.)

Agreed.

My sympathies for your friend, the father and the family.
   60. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5782159)
My current understanding of my killing practices is they're only murders if it is not for self defense and that I intended to kill the person

Well, first, intent does in fact ameliorate "murder" in legal terms. That's why they have #### like degrees of murder and "manslaughter," etc.

Second, comparing recording a goddamned 100 year old movie off of cable to murder is so ####### stupid it begs the question or your basic human worth. Seriously. It's a goddamned movie, on basic cable. Jesus.
   61. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5782160)
My sympathies for your friend, the father and the family.

Unless they voted for Trump.
   62. McCoy Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5782161)
I think its time you relaxed for a bit.
   63. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:40 AM (#5782162)
A new virtue signal car for you! And a new virtue signal car for you! And you! And you!!

I guess it is not possible to express someone is out of line without "virtue signaling". Remind me, who is the precious snowflake in this scenario?
   64. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:40 AM (#5782163)
I want to wait for tomorrow to post my predictions... no reason not to let a random tweet make me feel more confidant than I should be.

65. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:40 AM (#5782164)
I'm fine, but thank you for your concern. It's touching. Just avoid the special places on the doll.
   66. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:42 AM (#5782167)
My current understanding of my recording practices is that they're only copyright violations if I watch the DVD more than once, which of course I frequently do, but not usually. And in some cases I record a movie and never get around to watching it.

My current understanding of my killing practices is they're only murders if it is not for self defense and that I intended to kill the person, which of course I frequently do but not usually. And in some cases I kill the person but never get around to robbing them.

Wait, won't the "ABORTION IS MURDER" crowd come after you for that blatant copyright infringement?
   67. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5782168)
I guess it is not possible to express someone is out of line without "virtue signaling".

Um.... You're literally posting text to express your discomfort and disagreement with my statement, because you find it unvirtuous. That's literally the categorical definition of virtue signally, buddy. That's what the phrase literally was coined to describe.

Remind me, who is the precious snowflake in this scenario?

In the current back and forth, Ray. Obviously.
   68. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5782169)
I was recently surprised to discover someone unfriended me on facebook - I hadn't been notified, not sure when it happened. An old friend I hadn't spoken to in a while - probably doing one of those "message me or be deleted" purges that those who spend too much time there are always advertising.

That happened to me about, geez, 7 or 8 years ago, apparently for political reasons -- not only unfriended but blocked, though it took me awhile to figure out that that's what happened, as I'd never encountered it before.

Of course, the other party died last year. Actions have consequences, baby.
   69. Traderdave Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5782170)
We never should have fought the Civil War. It was our chance to be rid of those shitbag states forever and we totally blew it.
   70. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5782172)
Of course, the other party died last year.

One funeral at a time, buddy.
   71. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:47 AM (#5782173)
FTR my father died of lung cancer just 18 months after having one of his lungs removed. What offended me most about Sam's comment was that he didn't direct it against the tobacco company executives who gleefully profit from the premature and horrific deaths of hundreds of millions of cigarette-induced cancers. By contrast, Clapper is a positively benign soul.
   72. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5782174)
We never should have fought the Civil War.

That's mighty white of you.
   73. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5782176)
What offended me most about Sam's comment was that he didn't direct it against the tobacco company executives who gleefully profit from the premature and horrific deaths of hundreds of millions of cigarette-induced cancers.

Jeez, Andy. There's plenty of cancer to go around. It's not a precious commodity, buddy.
   74. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5782177)
I've read and heard about all the rainbows and sunshine before and midterms are much harder to predict than Presidential so I'm still sticking with I'll be ecstatic with a 51-49 or 52-48 GOP Senate majority.

If the Dems could get it to 50-50 that would be extremely troubling for the GOP. Every fringe position in the GOP would carry that much more weight. Does Mitch have enough control to stay Majority leader if it goes to 50-50?

It is the day before, so I think it appropriate to restate my "Hey, it was a good election!" criteria. If you remember what I wrote previously feel free to ski this post, it is review.

In order of personal priority:

State and local races.
The Democratic Party desperately needs to rebuild at the lower levels and regain some control of the states.

We shall see how it all turns out though.

So what is victory? Having Democratic Governors controlling more than half the population is a fair goal for this election. Also substantial gains in state houses around the nation. I don't have a hard number on it, but right now the GOP controls way too many statehouses relative to the Democrats. Not every state has midterm elections, but in those that do I would like to see gains.

Federal House.
Democrats need to win control of the House. More is better, but a one seat majority is plenty good enough and everything else is gravy. Delicious gravy.

Senate.
Given the worst map ... well ever, I still maintain only losing a single seat would be great. Holding serve or even gaining seats would be fantastic and gaining majority is but a dream. It would be awesome though.

Bonus Elections
My top two are Walker losing in Wisconsin and Cruz losing in Texas. Either happening would be awesome.

Locally, I want the Democrats to sweep the state level races and get +2 in Federal House seats.
   75. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5782179)
Bonus Elections
My top two are Walker losing in Wisconsin and Cruz losing in Texas. Either happening would be awesome.

There would be no greater joy than to see Brian Kemp and his brood of Stepford blonds crying into their mugs because their thievery and Jim Crow antics weren't enough.
   76. Traderdave Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5782180)
What is Ted Cruz's next move if he loses? Fox News gig?

77. JL72 Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5782181)
Unless they voted for Trump.

No.
   78. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5782182)
Um.... You're literally posting text to express your discomfort and disagreement with my statement, because you find it unvirtuous. That's literally the categorical definition of virtue signally, buddy. That's what the phrase literally was coined to describe.

<Yawn>

I expressed the correct sentiment that often your posts are out of line. That is not "discomfort" it is stating the obvious. I am not signaling to anyone but you, and my signal is "You are being a petulant and obnoxious child."

Your ignorance as to what virtue signaling is and is not I not my problem.
   79. McCoy Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5782184)
We never should have fought the Civil War. It was our chance to be rid of those shitbag states forever and we totally blew it.

Well, reconstruction could have solved a lot things that were wrong about those states but then you had states like Delaware, Connecticut, Indiana, New York, and New Jersey that mucked it up in 1876.
   80. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5782185)
Two more FL polls showing Gillum and Nelson in good shape (St Pete and Emerson) (+5 in both for both of them)... OK, pollsters - we're all set on Florida. You can kindly provide info on other states now.

In order of preference:

Tennessee
Texas
Missouri
Nevada
Indiana
Arizona
   81. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5782187)
"You are being a petulant and obnoxious child."

Sam isn't petulant.
   82. base ball chick Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5782189)
David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 05, 2018 at 07:39 AM (#5782039)

I’m with the kids at Disney this week, so I can’t just post here all day and bill the time to clients; just assume that you guys lose whatever arguments I would have had with you.

- well david
you still have your sensa yuma

so this is the middle of the school semester, so - how did you get them out? i mean, not joking, aren't they truant if they are not sick?
   83. JL72 Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:57 AM (#5782190)

Not that I expect it to happen, but I have to think Cruz losing as a Republican in Texas kills his political career. He could end up on Fox News for a bit, but seeing as he (1) Lost and (2) is not considered likable even among Republicans, I don't see him having much staying power.
   84. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:57 AM (#5782191)

Big money somewhere. Per an Atlantic piece - a piece that was quite complimentary of his wife - the Cruz's are making enormous sacrifices by settling for a combined income somewhere in the range of $500K to $750K.

I suspect he'll be a lobbyist for at least a few years.
   85. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5782192)
I expressed the correct sentiment that often your posts are out of line. That is not "discomfort" it is stating the obvious. I am not signaling to anyone but you, and my signal is "You are being a petulant and obnoxious child."

Even if this were true - and it's not; your entire signalling program here is a response to the troll planting of last thread around that dude that ran away because of the mean feels - you still just literally admitted that virtue signalling was exactly what this is. (To me, or others; it's still virtue signally buddy.)

As for me being a petulant and obnoxious child, I do personally regret that even so called "allies" such as yourself either fail to grasp the severity of the moment, or lack the basic spine to actually stand up to evil in real time. Maybe it's a cul-de-sac thing.
   86. PreservedFish Posted: November 05, 2018 at 11:59 AM (#5782193)
Maybe David is part of the "unschooling" trend. I, for one, applaud any effort to combat the gunpoint-funded public schools, with their pernicious focus on community and sharing.
   87. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5782194)
I’m with the kids at Disney this week, so I can’t just post here all day and bill the time to clients

Why not. It's not like you'll get into the rides.
   88. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5782195)
Well, reconstruction could have solved a lot things that were wrong about those states but then you had states like Delaware, Connecticut, Indiana, New York, and New Jersey that mucked it up in 1876.

Just got through reading this book on the Klan's mid-1920s incarnation, which of course was quite pronounced in Indiana. That was hardly a revelation to me, unlike the fact that Oregon was a particular stronghold. Apparently, that place was pretty much created to be a white supremacist paradise.

It was also news to me that the Women's Ku Klux Klan (a) existed & (b) was headquartered in Little Rock.
   89. BDC Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5782196)

Campbell's Chunky pitchman.
   90. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:02 PM (#5782198)
There would be no greater joy than to see Brian Kemp and his brood of Stepford blonds crying into their mugs because their thievery and Jim Crow antics weren't enough.

This, however, I cannot argue against.
   91. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:02 PM (#5782199)
He could end up on Fox News for a bit, but seeing as he (1) Lost and (2) is not considered likable even among Republicans, I don't see him having much staying power.

Considering he's as telegenic as a stick of lard slowly melting under a hot lamp, I'd figure his future in television, at least, to be rather limited.
   92. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:02 PM (#5782200)
Just got through reading this book on the Klan's mid-1920s incarnation, which of course was quite pronounced in Indiana. That was hardly a revelation to me, unlike the fact that Oregon was a particular stronghold. Apparently, that place was pretty much created to be a white supremacist paradise.

Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington State, along with Idaho, are still "god's country" in that manner.
   93. BDC Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5782201)
Latest incarnation of the Klan is in Northern Ireland harassing Muslims. Apparently only "costumed as" Klansmen; nobody checked their membership cards or anything.
   94. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:04 PM (#5782202)
Mouse probably has the best strategic take with his wish list, but making it personal, my top (electoral) kills would be Kemp, Cruz, and Walker (3 way tie), with Scott and DeSantis rounding out the top 5, and with King, Gianforte, and Rohrabacher thrown in for good measure. It's hard to imagine a more loathsome collection of pond scum than those 8.

EDIT: Make that 9. How could I have forgotten about Kris Kobach? He only needs to change his middle name to Kirk or Klancy to have his initials match his philosophy.

Of course in non-close races, and closer to home, what could be more satisfying than seeing Corey Stewart go down to another humiliating defeat?
   95. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5782203)
Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington State, along with Idaho, are still "god's country" in that manner.

That I knew (in part because of the racist skinhead problem in allegedly ultra-liberal Portland back in the '80s & no doubt later), but I didn't realize just how deeply the roots extended in Oregon in particular.
   96. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5782204)

FWIW - I do think Evers wins in Wisconsin. Most seem to have it at as ever-so-slightly Lean D. There's a lot of Walker fatigue - certainly helped along by something like half a dozen of his former top aides and appointees actively campaigning against him. Evers has run a good race, to boot.

My three governor bellwethers are GA, NV, and OH. A good night for the Dems should nab one of them. A really good night two. Bluenami takes all three, though, I suspect GA heads to a runoff even on a Bluenami night.
   97. base ball chick Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5782205)
ray

so sorry about your friend

- as for facebook and unfriending
no, you are not notified about being unfriended

i haven't been there since kavanaugh was passed through the senate

thing is - there are some of my facebook friends, some i have known since 2002, who were pro kavanaugh and believe that if a female (well, i guess a male, too, although that was never discussed) does not IMMEDIATELY report any sexual assault to the police, along with mujltiple witnesses and a video recording, then there was no sexual assault because you can't prove it conclusively like a strept throat test

this really really bothers me

i personally know only several trump supporters (all White) in my personal life here in houston

but aside from one of my friends (who is Black) who is dating a rich White trump supporter - the pay is good, you know, i haven't had to disavow family members like sam has

but how can i stay friends with someone who supports trump or kavanaugh? but i've known my friends for YEARS and i've had lon private convos, watched their kids grow up, and they are basically good people.

so my moral dilemma is - how can someone i know, and like and would welcome to our dinner table, but is a trump supporter - how can i disavow them

i'm not like Rickey - i can't just refuse all association with people who think differently.

i really don't know what to do

98. McCoy Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5782206)
Just got through reading this book on the Klan's mid-1920s incarnation, which of course was quite pronounced in Indiana.

Indiana being a hotbed of Klan activity back in the day is no surprise to me. I'm not expert but I remember the narrative back in the day was that Indiana was the state where the KKK was revived and popularized back in the 20's. Indiana and their leaders were brought down because their leader kidnapped, raped, and murdered a woman he then flipped on everyone else. They made a miniseries about it back in the 80's.
   99. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:07 PM (#5782208)
i really don't know what to do

VOTE BETO!
   100. McCoy Posted: November 05, 2018 at 12:09 PM (#5782209)
Flip Bayless
Page 1 of 24 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.