Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 16, 2018

OTP 2018 Apr 16: Beto strikes out but is a hit at baseball fundraiser

“I guarantee you he didn’t just get three pitches and three strikes like his old man,” said O’Rourke.

He can afford a laugh, since he has dusted Cruz in fundraising by taking in an eye-popping $6.7 million in the first three months of this year. That’s more than twice the $3.2 million gathered by Cruz, whose tally counted money from multiple campaign entities including a political action committee.

O’Rourke won’t take PAC money, a stand that’s expected to put him at a fundraising disadvantage as the general election nears. He said Saturday that he and his supporters are “doing this 100 percent the right way. There are no political action committees, no corporations.

“It’s just the people, the people of Texas, and you all look awesome,” O’Rourke told supporters who filled The Long Time grounds with a laid-back vibe as they sipped beer, wine, lemonade or water, sitting on blankets, a small stand of bleachers and scattered chairs; children and amiable dogs milling around.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 16, 2018 at 08:18 AM | 1328 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics, strikeouts, texas

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 11 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›
   1001. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 20, 2018 at 04:37 PM (#5657206)
Remember Trayon White, the Washington, DC City Councilman who said the Rothschilds controlled the weather? After considerable criticism, he offered one of those non-apology apologies, which was good enough for some here. He's making an effort at rehabilitating his image, but it isn't going that well. He took a tour of the Holocaust Museum Wednesday, but bailed halfway through:
The photo, taken in 1935, depicts a woman in a dark dress shuffling down a street in Norden, Germany. A large sign hangs from her neck: “I am a German girl and allowed myself to be defiled by a Jew.” She is surrounded by Nazi stormtroopers. D.C. Council member Trayon White Sr. (D-Ward 8) studied the image. “Are they protecting her?”

Lynn Williams, an expert on educational programs at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum and White’s tour guide for the day, stared at the photo.“No,” she said. “They’re marching her through.”

“Marching through is protecting,” White said. “I think they’re humiliating her,” Williams replied.
. . .
Moments later, White was nowhere to be seen. Glazer, the rabbi, texted him to ask his whereabouts. He wrote back that he hoped to see her outside the museum but he had to leave soon for an event in Ward 8.

The tour, scheduled to last 90 minutes, was halfway done. Seven of White’s staff members stayed with the guide, who soon was showing them an exhibit on the Warsaw Ghetto. As she explained the walling in of Polish Jews, one aide asked whether it was similar to “a gated community.”
. . .
The tour over, the rabbi praised White for being “very sincere in wanting to come here.” But she was perplexed by his abrupt exit. “I do not know what happened, and I find it confusing,” she said. White, it turned out, was standing alone on the sidewalk outside the museum.

Those still wishing to give White the benefit of the doubt on his anti-Semitism might want to also consider this from today's WaPo - D.C. Councilman Donated To Farrakhan Event Denouncing Jews:
D.C. campaign finance officials have asked council member Trayon White Sr. for more information about a $500 donation he made to a Nation of Islam event in Chicago where leader Louis Farrakhan declared “powerful Jews are my enemy.”

White (D-Ward 8) made the Jan. 29 donation, disclosed in filings this month, from his constituent services account — private money raised by lawmakers for community causes. The funds must benefit D.C. residents, according to campaign finance law. They are often used for things such as helping a constituent in a bind pay a utility bill or to send flowers to someone in mourning.
. . .
He said he did not know about the $500 donation. But the fund’s treasurer said the lawmaker personally ordered the payment.

He is what he is.
   1002. perros Posted: April 20, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5657208)

Sure, you were allowed to come to the museum and say whatever you wanted about the ethics and morals about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but in the end, it didn't really matter very much. The warheads are still around, they will never be dismantled. As one who finds the whole quagmire completely overwhelming, all I can do is admit my ambivalence and confusion, so despite having a long time to decide if what happened in 1945 was the right thing to do, we haven't been able to take advantage of all that luxurious hindsight to have better, finely formulated answer of what to do if it looks like they're needed again. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure volumes of great thought has been written about the ethics surrounding these weapons, but this museum did a wonderful job of having its cake...and eating it too. Freedom and no freedom, a right to speech, but no one has to listen. I walked away feeling quite dispirited, and quite nihilistic, which isn't the way I normally am. So...I don't know.

My position to a T. You have a wonderful way of cutting to the point.

A younger me would have gone to war on the A-bomb discussion -- you're not allowed too much public dissent outside the desert -- but the tired old dichotomies don't interest me much anymore. And why pretend my opinion is of influence?

Regardless, I'm a steadfast peacenik, and in what I think of as a realistic way. Fighting Hitler and a murderous Japanese empire is one thing, dropping bombs on sovereign nations we pretend are Nazis is quite another. It's like Vietnam has been wiped clean of public consciousness.

There will be a near reckoning, and I'm not looking forward to it.

1003. The Good Face Posted: April 20, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5657210)
Remember Trayon White, the Washington, DC City Councilman who said the Rothschilds controlled the weather? After considerable criticism, he offered one of those non-apology apologies, which was good enough for some here. He's making an effort at rehabilitating his image, but it isn't going that well. He took a tour of the Holocaust Museum Wednesday, but bailed halfway through:
The photo, taken in 1935, depicts a woman in a dark dress shuffling down a street in Norden, Germany. A large sign hangs from her neck: “I am a German girl and allowed myself to be defiled by a Jew.” She is surrounded by Nazi stormtroopers. D.C. Council member Trayon White Sr. (D-Ward 8) studied the image. “Are they protecting her?”

Lynn Williams, an expert on educational programs at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum and White’s tour guide for the day, stared at the photo.“No,” she said. “They’re marching her through.”

“Marching through is protecting,” White said. “I think they’re humiliating her,” Williams replied.
. . .
Moments later, White was nowhere to be seen. Glazer, the rabbi, texted him to ask his whereabouts. He wrote back that he hoped to see her outside the museum but he had to leave soon for an event in Ward 8.

The tour, scheduled to last 90 minutes, was halfway done. Seven of White’s staff members stayed with the guide, who soon was showing them an exhibit on the Warsaw Ghetto. As she explained the walling in of Polish Jews, one aide asked whether it was similar to “a gated community.”
. . .
The tour over, the rabbi praised White for being “very sincere in wanting to come here.” But she was perplexed by his abrupt exit. “I do not know what happened, and I find it confusing,” she said. White, it turned out, was standing alone on the sidewalk outside the museum.

I love it. Somebody should write a book about a plucky young African American politician who got mixed up with anti-Semites and had to redeem himself. They could call it Shoah 'Nuff: What the Holla Cost?. Get Michael Chabon on the phone!
   1004. perros Posted: April 20, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5657211)

He is what he is

An American, hardly exceptional in 2018.
   1005. tshipman Posted: April 20, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5657215)
I love it. Somebody should write a book about a plucky young African American politician who got mixed up with anti-Semites and had to redeem himself. They could call it Shoah 'Nuff: What the Holla Cost?. Get Michael Chabon on the phone!

This would be one of those examples of why people think you're racist.
   1006. -- Posted: April 20, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5657220)

Dude pulled a "Shitfvck, Minch -- let's get us a cab" on his sensitivity training after rabidly anti-Semitic public remarks. While less solemn indeed than the usual suspect approach when their pet minorities are slurred, parody would seem to reasonable minds to be among the quite legitimate responses to such a beclowning spectacle.

1007. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 20, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5657222)
Discussing one should have nothing to do with discussing the other. That's why responding to "Trump is being clownish again" with "but, but, HRC!!!" is dumb.

You may have that backward, PepTech. If you don't believe me, read my initial comment (#905), then check out Andy's response.

Or maybe he can check out your response to any questions about Flynn's or Trump's character, which have been asked over and over and stonewalled by you every time. In JE's world, the real dirtballs aren't the likes of Trump and Flynn and Pruitt, they're Comey and McCabe and Loretta Lynch. Opinions like that pretty much speak for themselves.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time I see "Larvell B", I think of "Cardi B". I have decided to put that image in my head whenever I read his posts.

Whenever I see "Larvell B", the image it conjures in my mind is enough in itself to keep him on Ignore.
   1008. -- Posted: April 20, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5657223)

LOL.
   1009. The Good Face Posted: April 20, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5657225)

Dude pulled a "Shitfvck, Minch -- let's get us a cab" on his sensitivity training after rabidly anti-Semitic public remarks. While less solemn indeed than the usual suspect approach when their pet minorities are slurred, parody seems to be among the quite legitimate responses.

Making fun of anti-Semites is especially racist.
   1010. Hysterical & Useless Posted: April 20, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5657226)
one aide asked whether it was similar to “a gated community.”

"Yes, exactly the way Sing-Sing is like a gated community."

ETA: except that the residents of Sing-Sing have generally done something to merit their inclusion in that particular community...
   1011. The Good Face Posted: April 20, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5657228)

LOL.

I'm pretty sure White and his people were trolling hard. I mean, yeah, they're a bunch of unrepentant Jew haters, but that is pretty funny.
   1012. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5657234)
LOL.
He's the future mayor of DC.
   1013. -- Posted: April 20, 2018 at 05:37 PM (#5657236)
He's the future mayor of DC.

Wonder if Andy, who defended him to the hilt, now thinks he's ... drum roll, please ... DESPICABLE!!!
   1014. -- Posted: April 20, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5657238)
Comey under investigation for improperly leaking classified information, in the "Trump memos."
   1015. dlf Posted: April 20, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5657239)
Assuming the reporting is accurate, at best, Councilman White is historically ignorant, amazingly self-centered and unwilling to expand the tiniest effort to become educated on a tragedy that be-struck millions within living memory. More likely, he is simply an anti-Semite.

It isn't at all the same, but my mother was also unable to complete a tour of the Holocaust Museum. In her case, she is the child of two refugees from Nazi Germany (the yarhzeit for one begins momentarily, now that I think about it) and the niece of a rabbi who, thirty years after fleeing, was gunned down outside his Synagogue in NYC. Mom was quietly in tears for about 30 minutes at the beginning before becoming nauseous. Somehow, I don't imagine Councilman White leaving for the same reasons.

Edit: I'm a week late in responding to our baker from Omenica, but that's never stopped me before. No, Greg, unfortunately, while on (in?) Key Largo we missed the formal rum tasting. It turned out to be in a hotel's bar / restaurant and we decided to stick to smaller places instead. Plenty of good spirits - in both senses of the word - but no drinks that really stood out.
   1016. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 20, 2018 at 06:12 PM (#5657242)
No, Greg, unfortunately, while on (in?) Key Largo we missed the formal rum tasting. It turned out to be in a hotel's bar / restaurant and we decided to stick to smaller places instead

What places, if you don't mind my asking?
   1017. Count Posted: April 20, 2018 at 06:13 PM (#5657243)
968 and 977 are classic examples of conspiracy theories holding firm in the face of facts. Being proved wrong about what the IG would say about McCabe, JE doubles down. Challenged on it by DN he ignores that he was wrong and refers to a "covert scheme" that wasn't supported by the IG report at all. Thus a report alleging that McCabe lied about his role in an anti-Clinton story and more evidence that McCabe supported investigation of the Clinton foundation somehow supports the notion that McCabe was in the tank against Trump and did something improper in that regard (he won't say what it was). And the topper is 994, betting on a connection between McCabe and Flynn that would do what exactly? The IG report had nothing to do with the Mueller investigation and the wrongdoing it alleged related to anti Clinton leaks; surely this will vindicate Flynn, even though he plead guilty!
   1018. Count Posted: April 20, 2018 at 06:15 PM (#5657246)
The DC guy is obviously anti Semitic. You could be charitable and say that it may come from ignorance and not malice but man even given how segregated his country is he must have interacted with some Jews in DC before?
   1019. Omineca Greg Posted: April 20, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5657249)
I'm a week late in responding to our baker from Omenica...

No worries.

Speaking of museums I had an intense emotional reaction to, the Dohány utcai zsinagóga in Budapest also has several parks and museums attached to it. I found it very hard to be in any of the buildings or parks without being overcome by emotion. Sadness that such things could happen, but also joy over the perseverance. But mostly sadness.

We took our children to Budapest in part because we thought it would be good for them to see a place where the ravages of that war and those totalitarian regimes hadn't been erased by time. We made a good choice. But the trip to the ghetto and the synagogue was just about too much for me.

1020. Morty Causa Posted: April 20, 2018 at 06:39 PM (#5657251)
I guess the Carswell defense applies to Trayon White: the 80 IQ are entitled to representation by one who is eminently one of their peers.
   1021. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: April 20, 2018 at 06:42 PM (#5657252)
Assuming the reporting is accurate, at best, Councilman White is historically ignorant, amazingly self-centered and unwilling to expand the tiniest effort to become educated on a tragedy that be-struck millions within living memory. More likely, he is simply an anti-Semite.

As well as one staggeringly dumb ####### politician.

How the hell do you #### this opportunity up. Having accepted the invitation, did he not think the press was going to be there?

Take the tour, say the usual nonsense at the end and the story dies down.

Now? His balls are back in the media-cycle vise again ...

Sheeeeeeeeeit.
   1022. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: April 20, 2018 at 06:45 PM (#5657253)
The DC councilman sounds like a lousy human being to me.

I find it interesting how Clapper ever-vigilantly reports crummy behavior on the part of Democrats from levels low to high, and by and large the ALB agrees. Trump, the leader of the free world and flagbearer for the GOP, gets a permanent pass, if not a pat on the head.
   1023. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 06:56 PM (#5657260)
968 and 977 are classic examples of conspiracy theories holding firm in the face of facts. Being proved wrong about what the IG would say about McCabe, JE doubles down. Challenged on it by DN he ignores that he was wrong and refers to a "covert scheme" that wasn't supported by the IG report at all. Thus a report alleging that McCabe lied about his role in an anti-Clinton story and more evidence that McCabe supported investigation of the Clinton foundation somehow supports the notion that McCabe was in the tank against Trump and did something improper in that regard (he won't say what it was). And the topper is 994, betting on a connection between McCabe and Flynn that would do what exactly? The IG report had nothing to do with the Mueller investigation and the wrongdoing it alleged related to anti Clinton leaks; surely this will vindicate Flynn, even though he plead guilty!
Repeating bullshit ad nauseum doesn't change that it's bullshit. Never mind the bloody obvious reality that McCabe's wife was indebted to the most powerful Clintonista elected official and that he failed to recuse himself from the investigation until barely a week before the general election.

I mean, go ahead and play dumb, but there's a reason why the left hasn't attacked McCabe -- if anything, they were rallying to the former deputy director's defense after his wife's teary WaPo op-ed -- even as they've taken potshots at Comey left and right.

Horowitz *will* release a report on the origins of the Trump-Russia probe, including what information was passed along to Mueller. And that's right, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Strzok's conclusion about Flynn's testimony was altered by McCabe before it landed on Mueller's desk.
   1024. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 06:58 PM (#5657261)
I find it interesting how Clapper ever-vigilantly reports crummy behavior on the part of Democrats from levels low to high, and by and large the ALB agrees. Trump, the leader of the free world and flagbearer for the GOP, gets a permanent pass, if not a pat on the head.
Did you just fall out of the sky? Because come on, like you couldn't say a helluva lot worse about maybe a dozen lefties here?
   1025. -- Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:01 PM (#5657262)
You could be charitable and say that it may come from ignorance and not malice but

But that would be entirely inconsistent with how a non-black racist would be treated.
   1026. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:04 PM (#5657263)
Oh my, this is too precious...

Hillary Clinton on Election Night: ‘They Were Never Going to Let Me Be President’:
From early on, the Clinton camp saw Trump as an enemy to encourage, Chozick writes. During the campaign, as had been previously reported, there was an effort to elevate Trump into a so-called Pied Piper in order to tie him to the mainstream of the Republican Party.

“An agenda for an upcoming campaign meeting sent by [Campaign Manager] Robby Mook’s office asked, ‘How do we maximize Trump?’” Chozick writes, describing a time when the GOP primary was still crowded.

Even as Trump surged in the polls, the Clinton camp still saw him as a danger to stronger candidates rather than such a candidate in his own right, Chozick reports, so that in August 2015, “when the main GOP debate came on, everyone pushed their pizza crust aside and stared transfixed at the TV set… [Campaign Manager] Robby [Mook] salivated when the debate came back on and Trump started to speak. ‘Shhhhh,’ Robby said, practically pressing his nose up to the TV. ‘I’ve gahtz to get me some Trump.’ Robby thought Rubio would be the nominee. Podesta was bullish on Kasich. Bill and Hillary, still stuck in the 1990s, feared the Bush surname most of all.”
When you fellas see Swampy Sammy, please show him this excerpt and remind him that Team Hillary indeed helped give us Trump.
   1027. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:09 PM (#5657264)
The stooopider Southern Poverty Law Center just got even stooopider: Sam Harris is now deemed a racist leader of the alt-Right.
   1028. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:17 PM (#5657266)
Yup, this is getting good:
What to watch: McCabe’s lawyer, Michael Bromwich, also said his client told then-FBI Director James Comey that he was pushing back on stories about the Hillary Clinton investigation — which would mean he didn’t lack candor. They are seeking ways to release emails and phone call transcripts between McCabe and Comey to shed light on the issue.
   1029. -- Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:19 PM (#5657267)
And that's right, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Strzok's conclusion about Flynn's testimony was altered by McCabe before it landed on Mueller's desk.

Nor would I.
   1030. -- Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:20 PM (#5657268)
What to watch: McCabe’s lawyer, Michael Bromwich, also said his client told then-FBI Director James Comey that he was pushing back on stories about the Hillary Clinton investigation — which would mean he didn’t lack candor. They are seeking ways to release emails and phone call transcripts between McCabe and Comey to shed light on the issue.

Pass the popcorn.
   1031. Howie Menckel Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:23 PM (#5657269)
my bigger takeaway from 1026 is this part below.

it always bugs me when one offhand comment gets crazy-glued to a politician for decades, and I wondered about this one with Hillary. all people express themselves badly off-the-cuff here and there, and that should be acknowledged - instead of the malaprop being part of someone's permanent record. well....

"All that seems to lead into the damaging video of Clinton calling half of Trump supporters a “basket of deplorables,” at a New York fundraiser in September 2016.

That was no slip of the tongue, since “Hillary always broke down Trump supporters into three baskets,” Chozick writes.

“Basket #1: The Republicans who hated her and would vote Republican no matter who the nominee.
Basket #2: Voters whose jobs and livelihoods had disappeared, or as Hillary said, ‘who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens in their lives and their futures.’
Basket #3: The Deplorables. This basket includes ‘the racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic—you name it.’

“The Deplorables always got a laugh, over living-room chats in the Hamptons, at dinner parties under the stars on Martha’s Vineyard, over passed hors d’oeuvres in Beverly Hills, and during sunset cocktails in Silicon Valley,” Chozick continues.
   1032. tshipman Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:25 PM (#5657270)
I mean, go ahead and play dumb, but there's a reason why the left hasn't attacked McCabe -- if anything, they were rallying to the former deputy director's defense after his wife's teary WaPo op-ed -- even as they've taken potshots at Comey left and right.

Well, yeah. Andy McCabe didn't decide an election with a poorly thought through decision to discuss one candidate's investigation publicly.

That would be the reason why Ds take potshots at Comey--his actual actions, not bizarre conspiracy theories.
   1033. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5657272)
I find it interesting how Clapper ever-vigilantly reports crummy behavior on the part of Democrats from levels low to high . . .

Have you not noticed the posts here from Team Blue reporting on even obscure volunteer GOP deputy precinct captains who may have said or done something impolitic? Some folks will post the entire article, several times even, direct various epithets toward the offenders, and insist they are representative of the entire party. Indeed, there were at least half a dozen posters here trying to make something out of nothing when an extremist nabbed the ballot line in a race the local GOP had decided not to contest. Sauce for the goose, and all that.
   1034. zenbitz Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:33 PM (#5657273)
Most DNC thing ever: Suing Russia for making them lose an unlosable election.

Most Donald Trump thing ever: Suing Russia for breach of contract, after they helped him win election.
   1035. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:35 PM (#5657274)
Well, yeah. Andy McCabe didn't decide an election with a poorly thought through decision to discuss one candidate's investigation publicly.

That would be the reason why Ds take potshots at Comey--his actual actions, not bizarre conspiracy theories.
But according to Count, McCabe was really anti-Hillary! How can you not see that?!?
   1036. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:36 PM (#5657275)
my bigger takeaway from 1026 is this part below.
Worst.

Candidate.

Ever.
   1037. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:46 PM (#5657278)
Aaron Maté:
After losing Congress & 100s of statewide seats, losing to Trump should’ve been Dem leaders’ rock bottom. All of us have the capacity for avoiding self-reflection to the detriment of ourselves & those around us; their avoidance of self-reflection has become a driving force.
   1038. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:51 PM (#5657279)
Man some people here sure are (still) obsessed with Hillary Clinton. It is almost as if they were trying to distract themselves from the actual president.

And regarding the anti-Semite politician from DC, yeah what a loser. Blech.
   1039. tshipman Posted: April 20, 2018 at 07:54 PM (#5657280)
But according to Count, McCabe was really anti-Hillary! How can you not see that?!?

Right. McCabe felt like he should be able to investigate the Clinton Foundation, and strongly advocated for that.

I don't disagree with that.

Maybe I'm not speaking crazy so I don't understand what your point is here.
   1040. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 08:06 PM (#5657281)
Right. McCabe felt like he should be able to investigate the Clinton Foundation, and strongly advocated for that.

I don't disagree with that.

Maybe I'm not speaking crazy so I don't understand what your point is here.
Excuse me? The subject matter of the McCabe leak to the WSJ in late October 2016 was the Hillary server investigation, not the one involving the Clinton Foundation. And according to Count, the leak was decidedly "anti-Hillary" in nature, not merely "he should be able to investigate."
   1041. Laser Man Posted: April 20, 2018 at 08:17 PM (#5657284)
Excuse me? The subject matter of the McCabe leak to the WSJ in late October 2016 was the Hillary server investigation, not the one involving the Clinton Foundation
Sad that Stormy JE, like so many other Republicans these days, does not have a handle of the basic facts of the topic. The McCabe leak was about an investigation of the Clinton Foundation.
   1042. Omineca Greg Posted: April 20, 2018 at 08:19 PM (#5657285)
Canada's Federal Election is coming up in 2019, and I was wondering what the polls were saying. I did a quick search and came up with this site, calculatedpolitics.com. I don't know anything about them, but whatever, it'll do. Well, according to calculatedpolitics.com...the Conservatives have just pulled ahead of the Liberals (graphs at link).

Hmm. I don't know what to say about that. In the Omineca, the Liberals never do very well, but even given that, there seems to be increasing dislike of Trudeau here, so I thought the gap might be closing...

Mostly I thought it was weird that the first time I wonder enough to check on how things are going, it is the very moment where the blue line crosses the red (you Yanks are aware you do it differently than everywhere else, right?) in like...forever.

OK, Canadians who are reading this, now I need you to do your part. This is where you say I cherry-picked the data, or that I'm a Russian bot, or I'm running a false-flag reverse-o double agent operation or something. You could say I have Trudeau Derangement Syndrome if you like, but TDS gets thrown around a lot here already, so make sure people know you mean Trudeau.

If you do a really good job, I'll say "concession accepted" or refer to you in the third person. No, I don't know why either, but that's just the way it's done. It's going to take a little bit of getting used to, I admit, but that's OK, that's why we're starting now, so by 2019 we'll have it down pat.

OK.

Ready?

Here we go. Get ready now.

OK. Here it is.

Justin is a laughable buffoon. How can you like him, you damn modern Liberals. Now, Louis St. Laurent, he was a real Liberal. When 'ole George VI died, did you see Uncle Louis putting his pretty little mug in front of the camera, with his chin all quivering like le vagin we have now? Talk about decline. I like the cut of that Andrew Scheer's jib. If Kids In The Hall had a Gummo, he would look just like Andrew Scheer.

OK, you gotta come and get me now. You can do it.

I know you can.

Don't make me go all "Canadian moderates have trouble speaking out and being pricks, film at 11" so early in this, we have a long way to go to the election, and think how tiresome that would get.
   1043. Greg K Posted: April 20, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5657288)
More importantly, Greg K, are you joining us in Central Park in August?

Ah hell why not. Put me down for a yes, it shouldn't be too hard for me to sort out the details!
   1044. Srul Itza Posted: April 20, 2018 at 08:32 PM (#5657290)
Even if you believe the bombs stopped an inevitable invasion and untold deaths, the literal fallout from the nuclear arms race is a legacy that remains today. Not to mention the conditioned US response when we really do face an existential threat in the future.

Interesting thing -- yes, the existential horror of annihilation and the nuclear arms race are soul destroying.

But, you have to wonder, if it were not for MAD forcing both sides to hold back, would there have been a third world war by now, between the Communist Bloc and the Western Democracies? And, even without nuclear weapons, how devastating would such a war have been with the inevitable improvement of weaponry over time?

Would the devastating of WWII have stayed our hands? Well, the War to End All Wars was no picnic, and barely 20 years later, we were at it again. Nuclear Weapons essentially made conflict between the Superpowers unthinkable.
   1045. tshipman Posted: April 20, 2018 at 08:40 PM (#5657297)
Sad that Stormy JE, like so many other Republicans these days, does not have a handle of the basic facts of the topic. The McCabe leak was about an investigation of the Clinton Foundation.

Jason is, if nothing else, a product of conservative media.
   1046. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 08:47 PM (#5657302)
From the IG report:
McCabe’s decision to confirm the existence of the (Clinton Foundation) Investigation through an anonymously sourced quote, recounting the content of a phone call with a senior Department official in a manner designed to advance his personal interests at the expense of Department leadership, was clearly not within the public interest exception… Thus, McCabe’s disclosure of the existence of an ongoing investigation in the manner described in this report violated the FBI’s and the Department’s media policy and constituted misconduct.
The IG report discusses both investigations -- Weiner's laptop! -- but above Horowitz is referring to CF. I stand corrected.
   1047. BrianBrianson Posted: April 20, 2018 at 08:48 PM (#5657303)
I can't ####-talk Justin because he's my (sixth) cousin. And so handsome.

But, come 2019, we all better be stoned enough to not hate anyone ;)
   1048. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:03 PM (#5657306)
Of course, it's easy to see why that mistake was made. Let's look at the Devin Barrett story from 30 October again:
The surprise disclosure that agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation are taking a new look at Hillary Clinton’s email use lays bare, just days before the election, tensions inside the bureau and the Justice Department over how to investigate the Democratic presidential nominee.

Investigators found 650,000 emails on a laptop that they believe was used by former Rep. Anthony Weiner and his estranged wife Huma Abedin, a close Clinton aide, and underlying metadata suggests thousands of those messages could have been sent to or from the private server that Mrs. Clinton used while she was secretary of state, according to people familiar with the matter.

It will take weeks, at a minimum, to determine whether those messages are work-related from the time Ms. Abedin served with Mrs. Clinton at the State Department; how many are duplicates of emails already reviewed by the FBI; and whether they include either classified information or important new evidence in the Clinton email probe.

Officials had to await a court order to begin reviewing the emails—which they received over the weekend, according to a person familiar with the matter—because they were uncovered in an unrelated probe of Mr. Weiner.

The new investigative effort, disclosed by FBI Director James Comey on Friday, shows a bureau at times in sharp internal disagreement over matters related to the Clintons, and how to handle those matters fairly and carefully in the middle of a national election campaign. Even as the probe of Mrs. Clinton’s email use wound down in July, internal disagreements within the bureau and the Justice Department surrounding the Clintons’ family philanthropy heated up, according to people familiar with the matter.

The latest development began in early October when New York-based FBI officials notified Andrew McCabe, the bureau’s second-in-command, that while investigating Mr. Weiner for possibly sending sexually charged messages to a teenage minor, they had recovered a laptop. Many of the 650,000 emails on the computer, they said, were from the accounts of Ms. Abedin, according to people familiar with the matter.

Those emails stretched back years, these people said, and were on a laptop that hadn’t previously come up in the Clinton email probe. Ms. Abedin said in late August that the couple were separating.

The FBI had searched the computer while looking for child pornography, people familiar with the matter said, but the warrant they used didn’t give them authority to search for matters related to Mrs. Clinton’s email arrangement at the State Department. Mr. Weiner has denied sending explicit or indecent messages to the minor.

In their initial review of the laptop, the metadata showed many messages, apparently in the thousands, that were either sent to or from the private email server at Mrs. Clinton’s home that had been the focus of so much investigative effort for the FBI. Senior FBI officials decided to let the Weiner investigators proceed with a closer examination of the metadata on the computer, and report back to them.

At a meeting early last week of senior Justice Department and FBI officials, a member of the department’s senior national-security staff asked for an update on the Weiner laptop, the people familiar with the matter said. At that point, officials realized that no one had acted to obtain a warrant, these people said.

Mr. McCabe then instructed the email investigators to talk to the Weiner investigators and see whether the laptop’s contents could be relevant to the Clinton email probe, these people said. After the investigators spoke, the agents agreed it was potentially relevant.

Mr. Comey was given an update, decided to go forward with the case and notified Congress on Friday, with explosive results. Senior Justice Department officials had warned the FBI that telling Congress would violate policies against overt actions that could affect an election, and some within the FBI have been unhappy at Mr. Comey’s repeated public statements on the probe, going back to his press conference on the subject in July.

The back-and-forth reflects how the bureau is probing several matters related, directly or indirectly, to Mrs. Clinton and her inner circle.
Up until now, has this article principally discussed Hillary's e-mail server or Clinton Foundation? Only in paragraph 14 does Barrett begin to discuss the latter.
   1049. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:04 PM (#5657308)
Excuse me? The subject matter of the McCabe leak to the WSJ in late October 2016 was the Hillary server investigation, not the one involving the Clinton Foundation.
That is incorrect, Jason. Read the OIG report. The un/authorized leak was about whether the FBI (McCabe) was vigorously investigating the CF.
   1050. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:08 PM (#5657311)
LOL. I have had a helluva lot more exposure to liberal media than any of you supposed sophisticates have to a conservative equivalent.
   1051. BDC Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:15 PM (#5657314)
Trayon White certainly sounds like an anti-Semitic ignoramus. I wouldn’t vote for him if I lived in DC and I won’t vote for him if he moves to Texas. I’m not sure what else I am supposed to do, but I guess I need to come back and repeat that occasionally ...

And while we’re in that mode, yes, I’d be delighted to have McCabe and all the Podestas and the odious Blumenthal and Comey and Hillary all thrown in prison if they did something wrong. Exhume Ted Kennedy and Robert Byrd and lock them up too. Knock yourselves out :-D
   1052. Omineca Greg Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5657317)
I can't ####-talk Justin because he's my (sixth) cousin.

OK, just a second, just a second here...OK...I think I'm ready....here we go...

here it comes

get ready...

Oh dear, not a good.............concession? Ohhhhhhh. No, no, give me another chance...

LOL! I'm the sane centre! I'm the sane centre!

Well, that wasn't the best, but I think I did a little better by the end. We've got a long time to get better at it, so I'm not worried.

Is he really? From the Trudeau side, or the Sinclair side?

And now I can't #### talk him either. You can't #### talk somebody's cousin. That would be rude.

Oh well, back to the dish detergent. Next up is Rio Carnival Twist.
   1053. BrianBrianson Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:19 PM (#5657318)
LOL. I have had a helluva lot more exposure to liberal media than any of you supposed sophisticates have to a conservative equivalent.

Two minutes a day, no doubt.

Is he really? From the Trudeau side, or the Sinclair side?

The Sinclair side, but I'd have to ring up my uncle to get it explained again to remember exactly how it goes. Wikipedia has her paternal grandfather coming from Wick, and my paternal grandmother (the relevant line) comes from Burray, which is pretty close.
   1054. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:23 PM (#5657319)
Repeating bullshit ad nauseum doesn't change that it's bullshit.

Unless, of course, it's Trump who's repeating it. Then it's just joking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Donald Trump thing ever: Suing Russia for breach of contract, after they helped him win election.

And most RNC thing since maybe last week: Setting up a special website for the sole purpose of trashing James Comey.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try me on that sometime. Conservatism didn't begin the day you first discovered National Review.
   1055. Morty Causa Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:24 PM (#5657320)
I’m not sure what else I am supposed to do, but I guess I need to come back and repeat that occasionally ...

At the very least, liberals du jours should keep him in mind when they are inclined to sneer and hoot at the white crackers in their hallowed midst.
   1056. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5657323)
Omineca Greg - I literally LOL at your 2 most recent posts.
   1057. BDC Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:42 PM (#5657327)
At the very least, liberals du jours should keep him in mind when they are inclined to sneer and hoot at the white crackers in their hallowed midst

I don’t get this. I should let up on people I disagree with because ... there are other people I disagree with?

Now, sneering and hooting are crass and I’m generally for less crassness, that’s fine. And I can be crass anyway, and should consider the beam in my eye, good point. But the general idea that the existence of one idiot means I shouldn’t criticize any idiots makes no sense. It’s not like the ballgame, where I shouldn’t jeer at Albert Pujols for striking out because Adrian Beltre might strike out next inning.
   1058. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 10:08 PM (#5657340)
This back-and-forth from Tapper's interview with Comey is illuminating:
JAKE TAPPER, CNN: So, let’s talk about the investigation and what you can talk about it. In January, 2017 when you met with President Trump and you did that oral presentation of what’s in that two page memo, summarizing the Steele dossier. We know from the book that you talked about these unverified allegations involving him and prostitutes.

Did you brief him about any – any of the other things in the Steele dossier, claims that his associates, Michael Cohen or Paul Manafort, were potentially working with the Russians? Or was it only about the prostitutes?

JAMES COMEY, FORMER FBI DIRECTOR: It was only about the salacious part of it.

TAPPER: Why? Why only about that?

COMEY: Because that was the part that the leaders of the intelligence community agreed he needed to be told about because we knew it and thought it was about to become public. And if it was true, we didn’t know whether it was true, it would be important to let him know this as part of a defensive briefing.
So NOTHING else in the dossier Comey thought was of interest? NOTHING about Manafort? NOTHING about Gates? NOTHING about Cohen? NOTHING about Page?

Not to mention NOTHING about who bankrolled the freaking thing?

And of course, once Comey had briefed Trump, Clapper (the other one) ran to his BFFs at CNN to blab about it, which in turn resulted in CNN a few days later breaking the story about law enforcement briefing Trump about the existence of some dossier ("Intel chiefs presented Trump with claims of Russian efforts to compromise him") and, hours later, BuzzFeed publishing the entire unverified dossier.

LMFAO.
   1059. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 20, 2018 at 10:10 PM (#5657343)
Following up a bit on Councilman White's visit to the Holocaust Museum, this seems like pretty good advice, although of the "stating the obvious" variety:
Jonathan Chait, @jonathanchait

Free advice for any pol who has to visit the Holocaust Museum to prove he's not anti-semitic: Just assume the Nazis are the bad guys in all the exhibits.

Keep it simple.
   1060. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: April 20, 2018 at 10:20 PM (#5657350)
Man some people here sure are (still) obsessed with Hillary Clinton. It is almost as if they were trying to distract themselves from the actual president.

And regarding the anti-Semite politician from DC, yeah what a loser. Blech.

The fixation on her is fascinating. I don't particularly like her, and was lukewarm about her as a presidential candidate. But the fact that we're still talking about her this much, nearly two years after the election? It reminds me of the buddy who "doesn't care" about his ex, but cannot stop finding reasons to talk about her.
   1061. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 10:24 PM (#5657352)
The fixation on her is fascinating.
You know, folks, this ain't hard. Unlike Romney, unlike McCain, unlike W, unlike Kerry, etc. she refuses to go away. (Good grief, even Kerry had the good sense to mutter under his breath about Ohio only once in a blue moon.)

Also, we have ongoing investigations relating to her, her foundation, and her campaign.
   1062. Morty Causa Posted: April 20, 2018 at 10:25 PM (#5657353)
I don’t get this. I should let up on people I disagree with because ... there are other people I disagree with?

Well, yeah. If you're honest about it. Sort of a what's sauce for the gander is sauce for the goose thing. It's about recognizing a common humanity thing. Recognizing you in what you hate. Why is that so hard to grasp?
   1063. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 20, 2018 at 10:42 PM (#5657363)
A week and a half ago, Tammy Duckworth became the first sitting Senator to give birth (although she probably wasn't sitting when she did so). Yesterday, she became the first Senator to bring an infant onto the Senate floor. That necessitated an official rule change, to allow Senators to breastfeed during votes.

But not all of Duckworth's colleagues were comfortable with the change. Senator Orrin Hatch wondered aloud, "What if there are ten babies on the floor of the Senate?" He actually said this.

Simple questions often have simple answers. If Hatch's ten baby scenario came to pass, then there would be thirty diapers being worn on the Senate floor instead of twenty.
   1064. BDC Posted: April 20, 2018 at 10:52 PM (#5657369)
It's about recognizing a common humanity thing. Recognizing you in what you hate. Why is that so hard to grasp?

I think I actually agree with you - I mean, I know Californians who won’t even step foot in Texas because we have NASCAR and country music and homophobes here ... I guess all those things have been eradicated in California ... where was I? No, prejudice is stupid, nil humanum alienum, sure. Cardinals fans are people too.

But we do sometimes arrive at the old impasse of demanding tolerance of the intolerant. I am not up to summoning much empathy with neo-Nazis or Boko Haram, sorry.
   1065. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 10:57 PM (#5657372)
But not all of Duckworth's colleagues were comfortable with the change. Senator Orrin Hatch wondered aloud, "What if there are ten babies on the floor of the Senate?" He actually said this.
HE WAS JOKING, FOR ####'S SAKE.

Seung Min Kim, WaPo:
Oh come on. They’re NOT actually upset. They just had funny comments but this rules change passed the Senate unanimously. Come to Capitol Hill and actually talk to senators instead of aggregating
   1066. Lassus Posted: April 20, 2018 at 11:06 PM (#5657377)

Even if the latter was true, super-special awesome snowflake - so fucking what? It has nothing to do with the truth of what you responded to.
   1067. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 11:10 PM (#5657380)
It has nothing to do with the truth of what you responded to.
How much conservative media have you watched or read in the last two weeks, Lassus? Because it sure as hell does matter.
   1068. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 20, 2018 at 11:17 PM (#5657384)
Yesterday, she became the first Senator to bring an infant onto the Senate floor. That necessitated an official rule change, to allow Senators to breastfeed during votes.

The rule change won't do any harm, but there doesn't appear to be much evidence that it was necessary. Senators typically spend very little time on the Senate floor, unless they are actually speaking or about to do so. There are "cloakrooms" for both parties just off the floor where Senators tend to congregate before votes, going into the Senate Chamber to say aye or nay, and then returning to the comparative comfort of the cloakroom, their own office, or a committee meeting room depending on the schedule. A cynic might even suggest that the motivation for the rule change was to allow folks such as Gonfalon to take political pot shots at those voicing insufficient enthusiasm for the change, even if they were only joking.
   1069. Stormy JE Posted: April 20, 2018 at 11:31 PM (#5657392)
Thanks to Trump, #WendyWassermanSchultz (yes, that's how he spelled DWS' name) is trending tonight, meaning some folks are learning about the Awan family case for the very first time.
   1070. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 20, 2018 at 11:58 PM (#5657399)
How much conservative media have you watched or read in the last two weeks, Lassus

I watched The 700 Club. They had a Creationist discussing cosmology followed by a pitch for a book about how the liberals love the terrorists who hate us and want to kill us because of our freedoms. Your free gift with a donation of $200. Praise Jesus.
   1071. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:14 AM (#5657405)
I don't watch any conservative media. I don't watch any liberal media either. I also don't follow twitter.
   1072. GregD Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:16 AM (#5657407)
The rule change won't do any harm, but there doesn't appear to be much evidence that it was necessary. Senators typically spend very little time on the Senate floor, unless they are actually speaking or about to do so. There are "cloakrooms" for both parties just off the floor where Senators tend to congregate before votes, going into the Senate Chamber to say aye or nay, and then returning to the comparative comfort of the cloakroom, their own office, or a committee meeting room depending on the schedule. A cynic might even suggest that the motivation for the rule change was to allow folks such as Gonfalon to take political pot shots at those voicing insufficient enthusiasm for the change, even if they were only joking.
I have't been in it myself but there's plenty of reporting that it is difficult for Duckworth to get from the cloakroom to her desk in a wheelchair.
   1073. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:48 AM (#5657408)
I have't been in it myself but there's plenty of reporting that it is difficult for Duckworth to get from the cloakroom to her desk in a wheelchair.

Sounds like a possible ADA violation (although I suspect Congress exempted itself on most architectural barrier issues). Cloakroom access is fairly important to a Senator.
   1074. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:49 AM (#5657409)
Bloomberg:

DNC Sues Trump Campaign, WikiLeaks, Russia Over Election Interference
By
April 20, 2018, 11:18 AM EDT Updated on April 20, 2018, 6:43 PM EDT

I'm reminded of what Tom Cruise said about Col. Jessup: "Maybe we can get him charged with the Kennedy assassination!"

But Cruise was being sarcastic.

This is a frivolous lawsuit that won't survive a motion to dismiss. The judge might even hand down sanctions to the DNC's fake lawyers.

But please, everyone on the left: keep asking why people keep saying you're deranged and keep asking why people are still talking about Hillary Clinton and the 2016 election.

(Likely this was filed either to energize the loons in the base and thus raise money for the stumbling DNC or just to see what they can see in discovery, but if I were the Democrats I'd be more worried about what the *defendants* will find in discovery. Either way it's an abuse of the legal system -- ironically, much like Trump is famous for. You've become what you decried. And again, the idea that Trump would bother colluding with Russia in the first place is nutty. Maybe it happened but to this point still no evidence that it did.)
   1075. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:52 AM (#5657410)
“Russia launched an all-out assault on our democracy, and it found a willing and active partner in Donald Trump’s campaign,” DNC Chairman Tom Perez said in a statement. “This constituted an act of unprecedented treachery: the campaign of a nominee for president of the United States in league with a hostile foreign power to bolster its own chance to win the presidency.”

It sounds stupid even reading it. Really just a litmus test to helpfully identify for us just who has lost their minds.
   1076. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:00 AM (#5657411)
I do find it amusing that you insist on putting HRC in the same category as DJT.

She told three different versions of her story to the public, as far as sending/receiving classified material went. She also misled people (at least, those who didn't know any better) into thinking that whether something was classified turned on whether it was "marked classified." She also had lies about using "one device for convenience." On and on and on she told lie after lie after lie to the public.

Then when she got into her FBI interview she apparently told the truth.

If a congenital liar such as Hillary could do so -- someone who couldn't stop telling lies to the public but then suddenly told the truth to the FBI -- then Trump could do so.

So then I'm assuming that if you were Trump's lawyer, you'd advise him to allow himself to be interviewed under oath by Mueller, and that nothing he said would be contradicted by any evidence that Mueller has already dug up but hasn't made public.

You're (not shockingly) moving the goalposts, Andy. This sidebar was started when you asked, "If [Trump] does submit to questioning, do you think he can possibly avoid perjuring himself, given his long history of lying at the rate of about 5 or 6 times a day?" And I was like, sure, Hillary managed to stop lying for 18 seconds while the FBI questioned her, so Trump could possibly do so also.

It's not the way I'd bet. But your post-goalposts-move question is simplistic and unsophisticated: this isn't a binary thing (a Mueller interview or no); before Trump agrees to meet with Mueller his lawyers (the real ones, not Rudy Giuliani) will negotiate the scope of that interview ahead of time. That will reduce the legal jeopardy Trump would face from Mueller's questioning -- but not eliminate it. So the pros and cons of a Mueller interview would have to be weighed against the pros and cons of not doing it. If I were Trump's lawyer I'd never let Trump sit down with Mueller to discuss anything other than the size of Trump's hands compared to that of Mueller's. The risk of Trump either (a) lying to Mueller, or (b) telling the truth to Mueller that Mueller will decide is a lie, is simply too great, and I see very little value for Trump in taking that risk. Better to go to court to fight the subpoena first, and if you lose the legal fight on those grounds, ignore the subpoena and see if Mueller can get a judge to put the sitting president in jail. Slim chance of that, I'd say.

Mueller absolutely deserves to be fired -- which is not the same thing as thinking it would be a good idea if Trump fires him. On the one hand I'd welcome the firing because it's deserved, but I'd rather see what Mueller uncovers -- including on the Democrats' side -- or doesn't uncover. Trump would open himself up to being vulnerable if he fires Mueller. But make no mistake: the premise for this witch hunt -- Russia collusion by Trump -- still has no basis after all of this time, after all of the investigation and subpoenas and plea deals and indictments. Mueller (and the SD of NY) are now far afield from the original mandate, which to this point is indistinguishable from a hoax and the investigation has so far borne that out. A 9/11-type commission would have sufficed, and was acceptable to anyone who wasn't deranged over Trump.
   1077. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:01 AM (#5657413)
Daily Mail:

FBI ex-deputy Andrew McCabe is 'upset and disappointed' that Comey could be witness AGAINST him and plans to sue Trump for being 'defamed'

Somehow I don't think "you're a poopyhead" is actionable. Trump would have had to make a specific, verifiable defamatory comment about McCabe. I don't generally read Trump's tweets but if all Trump did was call him a liar there's no way Trump can be sued; the IG report backs Trump up.
   1078. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:07 AM (#5657414)
JE, #1065:

HE WAS JOKING, FOR ####'S SAKE.

Was it anything like Senator Shecky Hatch's "poorly worded joke" from last month, when he called Obamacare supporters "the stupidest, dumbass people I've ever met"? ("The comments were obviously made in jest," explained Hatch's spokesman, "but what’s not a joke is the harm Obamacare has caused for countless Utahns.")

Clapper, #1068:
A cynic might even suggest that the motivation for the rule change was to allow folks such as Gonfalon to take political pot shots at those voicing insufficient enthusiasm for the change, even if they were only joking.

In theory, that same nonexistent cynic might well speculate about the beating that someone just took over his own dramatically different analyses of indistinguishable 42% Obama/Trump polls, and indeed, that imaginary cynic might go so far as to wonder whether the same someone's sudden interest in Senate floor habits is entirely due to that beating and a desire to find an excuse to lash back at a second someone, as opposed to the first someone's legitimately holding even the slightest fleck of belief in some unintelligible comeback about the Senate's real, furtive "motivation for the rule change." Hypothetically speaking.
   1079. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:16 AM (#5657415)
We are still going to be hearing about Hillary and the 2016 election in 2024 aren't we? I get it conservatism likes the past and everything, but time does move on.

Did you hear, BM? The DNC just filed a fake lawsuit about Hillary and the 2016 election.
   1080. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:17 AM (#5657416)
Did you hear, BM? The DNC just filed a fake lawsuit about Hillary and the 2024 election.

What does Hillary have to do with Mark Zuckerberg vs. The Rock?
   1081. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:26 AM (#5657417)
887. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 20, 2018 at 09:35 AM (#5656979)
Missed this one yesterday:

Appeals court rules against Trump administration over ‘sanctuary cities’
A federal appeals court in Chicago ruled Thursday against the Trump administration’s effort to withhold federal funds for law enforcement from “sanctuary cities” — saying the term itself is an unfair attack on local authorities.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit ruled unanimously against the Justice Department, saying the administration wrongly sought to use “the sword of federal funding to conscript state and local authorities to aid in federal civil immigration enforcement.” All three of the judges who issued the opinion were appointed by Republican presidents....

Trump and other conservatives who have pushed for a crackdown on undocumented immigrants have used the term sanctuary cities to describe jurisdictions that don’t notify federal immigration agents when they have taken into custody possible undocumented aliens unless they have some reason to think the person poses a threat to public safety, such as an outstanding felony warrant.

The term sanctuary cities, the judges wrote, “is commonly misunderstood.” Chicago “does not interfere in any way with the federal government’s lawful pursuit of its civil immigration activities, and presence in such localities will not immunize anyone to the reach of the federal government. . . . The federal government can and does freely operate in ‘sanctuary’ localities.”

The ruling also criticized Sessions’s description of the dispute, saying he “repeatedly characterizes the issue as whether localities can be allowed to thwart federal law enforcement. That is a red herring. First, nothing in this case involves any affirmative interference with federal law enforcement at all, nor is there any interference whatsoever with federal immigration authorities.”...

It's the correct decision; Congress has the power of the purse, not the Attorney General. (*)

But it's not that what Sessions wanted to do can't be done. It's just that it has to be done by Congress.

The more interesting thing here is that the district court ruled -- and the appeals court upheld -- that the injunction would be nationwide, and would thus not be limited to the parties (e.g., Chicago). That's a much closer call, and could well be something that might be overturned on appeal.

(*) Notice how I _didn't_ do the legal analysis here. I didn't do it the way the Andys of the world do it, which is like this:

"Do I like sanctuary cities? Yes! Thus I will rule for Chicago."

"Is Jeff Sessions a racist? Yes! Thus I will rule for Chicago."

1082. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:35 AM (#5657418)
Trump is on record publicly stating that he fired Comey to turn off the heat of the Russia investigation.

Fake news remains... fake. Film at 11.
   1083. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:43 AM (#5657420)
931. BDC Posted: April 20, 2018 at 11:50 AM (#5657063)

It doesn't become any more true on the 456,871st repetition

Trump told NBC's Lester Holt: "And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said 'you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story, it's an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won'."

The only reason Trump gets a pass on this – aside from people just being raptly fond of Donald Trump – is the by-now-familiar refrain that Trump never means what he says and thus should never be listened to.

BDC, the comment being responded to was "Trump is on record publicly stating that he fired Comey to turn off the heat of the Russia investigation." That is false, and your quote doesn't show otherwise.

(There are reports that Trump told the Russians in the oval office that firing Comey relieved "great pressure" on him due to Russia, but even assuming arguendo that happened, it's not Trump on the record publicly.)
   1084. Chip Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:46 AM (#5657421)
Unlike Romney, unlike McCain, unlike W, unlike Kerry, etc. she refuses to go away.

Romney: dallied with 2016 run, then inserted himself in campaign as vociferous anti-Trumper, then humiliated himself pursuing Sec. of State post Trump never had any intention of offering him, then plotted Utah Senate run. Otherwise, totally went away.

McCain: appeared on Sunday shows for 200+ consecutive weeks (give or take) after crushing loss to Obama, discussing any and all topics despite holding no senior leadership position in Senate Republican caucus apart from Armed Services Committee he chaired. Attempted to continue his streak into the Trump Administration until terminal illness intervened.

Kerry: stayed in public life, took Secretary of State post when Hillary left it to run for President.

W: seemingly kept low profile after concluding most disastrous pre-Trump presidency imaginable. Well, except for milking the corporate speaking circuit for ginormous fees.
   1085. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:51 AM (#5657422)
Yeah it is so very strange. Everyone here is OK if McCabe, Comey, Hillary, or whoever gets punished for having done something wrong. We really, truly, don't feel the need to defend the guilty. If they are guilty.

Wasn't remotely true w/r/t Hillary, BM. I don't know why you're pretending it was.

1086. Laser Man Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:58 AM (#5657423)
Fake news remains... fake. Film at 11.

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said... “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.” - NY Times - May 19, 2017

"He [Rosenstein] had made a recommendation. But regardless of recommendation, I was going to fire Comey knowing there was no good time to do it. And in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself -- I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. - Lester Holt Interview

Are you disputing the accuracy of these quotes? Or, are you disputing that these quotes show Trump fired Comey because of the Russia investigation?
   1087. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:03 AM (#5657424)
Some nuggets from NYT reporter Amy Chozick's Chasing Hillary book were noted here earlier, but the best one may have been overlooked:
When all was said and done, according to Chozick’s book, the somewhat acrimonious relationship between the Clinton campaign and The New York Times continued, even after the campaign ended: “After the election, Bill would spread a more absurd Times conspiracy: The publisher had struck a deal with Trump that we’d destroy Hillary on her emails to help him get elected, if he kept driving traffic and boosting the company’s stock price.”

Not accepting the election is strong with that one, eh?
   1088. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:11 AM (#5657425)
“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said... “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.” - NY Times - May 19, 2017

"He [Rosenstein] had made a recommendation. But regardless of recommendation, I was going to fire Comey knowing there was no good time to do it. And in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself -- I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. - Lester Holt Interview

Are you disputing the accuracy of these quotes? Or, are you disputing that these quotes show Trump fired Comey because of the Russia investigation?

The first quote is hearsay. The second quote is accurate but doesn't prove the issue in question -- which you've not framed accurately. The issue is not whether Trump "fired Comey because of the Russia investigation." The issue (as stated above, which is what I was responding to), is whether Trump "is on record publicly stating that he fired Comey to turn off the heat of the Russia investigation."
   1089. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:13 AM (#5657426)
Comey's notes are a boon to Trump. How much longer can you folks go with this?
   1090. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:21 AM (#5657427)
Heh.
Norm Macdonald: “People hated Hillary Clinton so much that they voted for someone they hated more than Hillary Clinton in order to rub it in.”
   1091. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:43 AM (#5657428)

I don't watch any conservative media. I don't watch any liberal media either. I also don't follow twitter.
But you do repeatedly post links from DailyKos, so there's that.
   1092. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:51 AM (#5657429)
Donald J. Trump:
DOJ just issued the McCabe report - which is a total disaster. He LIED! LIED! LIED! McCabe was totally controlled by Comey - McCabe is Comey!!
Rae Sanni:
Stunned by his realization, Trump drops his mug and races thru the precinct. But he’s too late— McCabe, now out of sight, abandons his limp and straightens into his proper Comey posture. Comey lights a cig as Mueller drives up. They pull away leaving Trump on the sidewalk, tweeting.
   1093. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:56 AM (#5657430)

I'm reminded of what Tom Cruise said about Col. Jessup: "Maybe we can get him charged with the Kennedy assassination!"

But Cruise was being sarcastic.
He didn't say it about Jessup. He said it about Dawson.
   1094. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 03:11 AM (#5657432)
Mueller absolutely deserves to be fired
Really? Has Mueller broken the law in some way? Or does simply making your hero uncomfortable somehow merit firing now?
-- which is not the same thing as thinking it would be a good idea if Trump fires him. On the one hand I'd welcome the firing because it's deserved, but I'd rather see what Mueller uncovers -- including on the Democrats' side -- or doesn't uncover. Trump would open himself up to being vulnerable if he fires Mueller. But make no mistake: the premise for this witch hunt -- Russia collusion by Trump -- still has no basis after all of this time, after all of the investigation and subpoenas and plea deals and indictments.
Once more: it's not a witch hunt, it's still early, and that's not the premise.
Mueller (and the SD of NY) are now far afield from the original mandate,
That doesn't make the tiniest bit of sense. The USAO-SDNY has no "original mandate." It wasn't recently appointed for a specific investigation, the way Mueller was. Its role is the same as it has been for a couple of centuries: to enforce all federal laws. It can't be "far afield" from that, unless it's attempting to prosecute DUIs in Boise or something.
which to this point is indistinguishable from a hoax and the investigation has so far borne that out. A 9/11-type commission would have sufficed, and was acceptable to anyone who wasn't deranged over Trump.
This insane talking point that you have latched onto doesn’t get less dumb from repetitions. A 9/11-type commission, which is completely irregular, would obviously not have sufficed since commissions don't prosecute criminals. The investigation has uncovered numerous criminals already.
   1095. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 21, 2018 at 03:21 AM (#5657433)
Ray, #1089:

Unserious CDS.

Donald Trump on the Nunes memo:
“This memo totally vindicates ‘Trump’ in probe. But the Russian Witch Hunt goes on and on. Their was no Collusion and there was no Obstruction (the word now used because, after one year of looking endlessly and finding NOTHING, collusion is dead). This is an American disgrace!”
Donald Trump on the Comey memos:
James Comey Memos just out and show clearly that there was NO COLLUSION and NO OBSTRUCTION. Also, he leaked classified information. WOW! Will the Witch Hunt continue?
   1096. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 03:25 AM (#5657434)

Comey's notes are a boon to Trump if you don't read them, I guess.
   1097. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 21, 2018 at 03:57 AM (#5657435)
The AV Club's review: The most shocking thing about James Comey’s book is how much it sucks
President Trump, of course, has come out tweets-a-blazin’ against Comey. The Republican Party has launched a website to counter the claims in the book. They call it Lyin’ Comey, a Trumpian nickname so laughably bad you have to wonder how many people were at the meeting that thought it up.

No part of A Higher Loyalty feels like a lie (other than the big one Comey’s telling himself about the email investigation). In the painstaking, plodding case he makes for ethical leadership and the importance of an independent FBI, you really do feel like he means it down to his core. Dude is genuinely a very tall, very boring-ass nerd, it seems. If he were an egoist, he would have made himself look a lot better in the Clinton chapters. ...I mean, my man documents the buildings he passes on his commute to work not once, not twice, but three different times in the book. If Comey were a liar, I’d hope he’d try to burnish up the boring parts more. There are a lot of them.

Ironically, as this review was written, the memos that Comey wrote at the time, and which drive the narrative of the last section of the book (and the main reason anyone’s interested in it), were leaked to the press. After demands by Republicans, the Justice Department released redacted versions to congressional investigators and copies found their way to the Associated Press moments later. The memos are better than Comey’s often-plodding book: They cut right to the chase, offer better tick-tock, and more tantalizing details.

While discussing Trump’s frustration with leaks from his administration, in the book Comey says, “The president said something about how we once put reporters in jail and that made them talk.” The memo, written contemporaneously, puts a hell of a lot more meat on Trump’s words: “It may involve putting reporters in jail. They spend a couple days in jail, make a new friend, and they are ready to talk.”

You’ve got the president of the United States talking about reporters getting raped in jail and when you write the book you paraphrase?

...The memos made A Higher Loyalty redundant, right in the middle of the book’s publicity push. They’re not just better, they’re real. When we tell the history of right now, A Higher Loyalty—with its goofy Boy Scout ethics lessons, plodding first half, and contorted Clinton chapters—probably won’t be high on the reading list. But the memos will be right at the top. ...They are cutting and brutal, unvarnished, and real.
   1098. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 05:56 AM (#5657436)
How can The AV Club be considered serious political analysts when they only review cartoons rather than draw them?
   1099. Lassus Posted: April 21, 2018 at 06:41 AM (#5657437)
flip
   1100. Lassus Posted: April 21, 2018 at 06:42 AM (#5657438)
flop
Page 11 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.