Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 16, 2018

OTP 2018 Apr 16: Beto strikes out but is a hit at baseball fundraiser

“I guarantee you he didn’t just get three pitches and three strikes like his old man,” said O’Rourke.

He can afford a laugh, since he has dusted Cruz in fundraising by taking in an eye-popping $6.7 million in the first three months of this year. That’s more than twice the $3.2 million gathered by Cruz, whose tally counted money from multiple campaign entities including a political action committee.

O’Rourke won’t take PAC money, a stand that’s expected to put him at a fundraising disadvantage as the general election nears. He said Saturday that he and his supporters are “doing this 100 percent the right way. There are no political action committees, no corporations.

“It’s just the people, the people of Texas, and you all look awesome,” O’Rourke told supporters who filled The Long Time grounds with a laid-back vibe as they sipped beer, wine, lemonade or water, sitting on blankets, a small stand of bleachers and scattered chairs; children and amiable dogs milling around.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 16, 2018 at 08:18 AM | 1328 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics, strikeouts, texas

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 12 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12 13 14 > 
   1101. Lassus Posted: April 21, 2018 at 06:42 AM (#5657439)
How much conservative media have you watched or read in the last two weeks, Lassus? Because it sure as hell does matter.

I read about 1/4 to 1/3rd of the sad, silly crap you post on Facebook from the Federalist, the Daily Caller, the Conservative Treehouse, whatever Jones wannabees catch your eye. I read all the Podheretz stuff because I dated a close member of the extended family.

And if I read even half of what I'm claiming, it doesn't change the description you're reacting to.
   1102. -- Posted: April 21, 2018 at 07:00 AM (#5657441)
So NOTHING else in the dossier Comey thought was of interest? NOTHING about Manafort? NOTHING about Gates? NOTHING about Cohen? NOTHING about Page?

He knew it was nonsense.
   1103. -- Posted: April 21, 2018 at 07:14 AM (#5657442)
This is a frivolous lawsuit that won't survive a motion to dismiss. The judge might even hand down sanctions to the DNC's fake lawyers.

It didn't even break any news. All it did was put the things everyone knows into numbered paragraph complaint legal form and called it a "conspiracy."

That part is Rule 11'able. I didn't bother with the rest.
   1104. -- Posted: April 21, 2018 at 07:16 AM (#5657443)
Comey's notes are a boon to Trump if you don't read them, I guess.

No, it's the opposite -- Comey's notes are a boon to Trump if you *do* read them.

It's only when you got the leaked fragments that they seemed bad to Trump. Not surprisingly, the leaked fragments were misleading, bordering on fraudulent.
   1105. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 21, 2018 at 07:24 AM (#5657444)
Larvell SBB levels the boom, #1104:
Comey's notes are a boon to Trump if you don't read them, I guess.

No, it's the opposite -- Comey's notes are a boon to Trump if you *do* read them.
How can any of us hope to top the master of clever comebacks?
   1106. -- Posted: April 21, 2018 at 07:28 AM (#5657445)
When all was said and done, according to Chozick’s book, the somewhat acrimonious relationship between the Clinton campaign and The New York Times continued, even after the campaign ended: “After the election, Bill would spread a more absurd Times conspiracy: The publisher had struck a deal with Trump that we’d destroy Hillary on her emails to help him get elected, if he kept driving traffic and boosting the company’s stock price.”

The Clintons are not loons through and through. But under adversity and/or pressure, they've shown a distinct pattern of uttering all manner of loony things.
   1107. -- Posted: April 21, 2018 at 07:33 AM (#5657446)

A good start would be to find a permanent cure for TDS, and then avail yourselves of it. I do have the advantage of not being saddled with it. That advantage is often decisive. Gallantry prompts me to confess that it does sometimes feel unfair.
   1108. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 07:53 AM (#5657449)
A good start would be to find a permanent cure for TDS

Trump Devotion Sycophancy is best cured through education. Start with simple and straightforward lessons - do vaccinations cause autism? Is the entire field of atmospheric physics a Chinese conspiracy? And from there build your character until you can openly confront the obvious truth that this fat, bald, spray-tanned narcissistic blowhard you’ve so passionately embraced is merely a common con man who reflexively lies about everything and has a child’s comprehension of the world.

It’s a hard journey, I’m sure, but one a person of character should be able to undertake. It does require some moral rectitude though. If your ethical moorings are as flexible as, oh, let’s say an elastic band of the sort used to fend off imaginary assailants, well then you’ve got a more uphill climb. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
   1109. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:10 AM (#5657451)
Re: #1104-1105-1107:
A good start would be to find a permanent cure for TDS, and then avail yourselves of it. I do have the advantage of not being saddled with it. That advantage is often decisive. Gallantry prompts me to confess that it does sometimes feel unfair.

If you want everything you just wrote to be unstupider, make it backwards instead. BACKWARDS.
   1110. BDC Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:31 AM (#5657453)
BDC, the comment being responded to was "Trump is on record publicly stating that he fired Comey to turn off the heat of the Russia investigation." That is false, and your quote doesn't show otherwise

Good effort, Ray, but you still finish second to SBB in this week’s How Can I Mangle Language to Protect My Hero competition :)
   1111. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:39 AM (#5657456)
Good effort, Ray, but you still finish second to SBB in this week’s How Can I Mangle Language to Protect My Hero competition :)

We have several quotes where Trump talks about the firing of Comey and then immediately talks about Russia! Russia!, but those two things are totally not related because he didn't actually say the EXACT words "I fired Comey because of the Russia investigation."

Wasn't remotely true w/r/t Hillary, BM. I don't know why you're pretending it was.

Yes, yes it was. If something worth prosecuting Hillary existing I am OK with doing so. I happen to think the endless and multifarious Clinton investigations were and are dumb and baseless, but crimes uncovered are still crimes.
   1112. Stormy JE Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5657458)
Romney: dallied with 2016 run, then inserted himself in campaign as vociferous anti-Trumper, then humiliated himself pursuing Sec. of State post Trump never had any intention of offering him, then plotted Utah Senate run. Otherwise, totally went away.

McCain: appeared on Sunday shows for 200+ consecutive weeks (give or take) after crushing loss to Obama, discussing any and all topics despite holding no senior leadership position in Senate Republican caucus apart from Armed Services Committee he chaired. Attempted to continue his streak into the Trump Administration until terminal illness intervened.

Kerry: stayed in public life, took Secretary of State post when Hillary left it to run for President.

W: seemingly kept low profile after concluding most disastrous pre-Trump presidency imaginable. Well, except for milking the corporate speaking circuit for ginormous fees.
Missing the point. They didn't whine endlessly about the election results, blaming the voters and a foreign power for the loss.
   1113. Stormy JE Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:47 AM (#5657460)
1099. Lassus Posted: April 21, 2018 at 06:41 AM (#5657437)
flip
   1100. Lassus Posted: April 21, 2018 at 06:42 AM (#5657438)
flop
Your pinpoint accuracy is almost as impressive as Harvey's fastball.
   1114. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5657461)
Missing the point. They didn't whine endlessly about the election results, blaming the voters and a foreign power for the loss.

So your argument - such as it is - is Hillary is making conservatives endlessly obsess over her. You don't want to, but because she complained and wrote a book you just have to? You have no choice.

Got it. Have fun with that going forward.
   1115. Lassus Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5657462)
I'm not one of the dopes who feels the unnecessary need to puts a formatting post as the first on the page. Those are exactly where they are supposed to be. - golf clap -
   1116. Stormy JE Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:56 AM (#5657464)
Which is why Republicans couldn't wait to get its hands on the memos and Democrats fought to have them hidden.

BTW, here's Byron York:
Comey writes in memo that 'Clapper wanted' him to tell Trump about Moscow sex stuff in 1/6/17 meeting. Isikoff/Corn write that 'a few days earlier' Susan Rice wanted Clapper to tell Obama about Moscow sex stuff.
And of course, remember Susan Rice's contemporaneous* note to herself? The meeting she referenced took place the day before Comey met with Trump.

Nothing to see here, huh? Remember when Obama swore to us up and down that he took no part in ongoing investigations? Good times.

* "Contemporaneous," as in two weeks later. Hint: That's not what "contemporaneous" means. That's what "revisionist history" means.
   1117. Stormy JE Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5657465)
So your argument - such as it is - is Hillary is making conservatives endlessly obsess over her. You don't want to, but because she complained and wrote a book you just have to? You have no choice.

Got it. Have fun with that going forward.
I missed your obtusity these past few weeks. The MSM is picking up on her comments but it's "conservatives [who] endlessly obsess over her?" And FFS, JUST YESTERDAY the DNC filed a frivolous lawsuit over the election result. But I'm the one who's obsessed?!? LMAO.

Don't ever change, Mouse.
   1118. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:08 AM (#5657467)
The MSM is picking up on her comments but it's "conservatives [who] endlessly obsess over her?"

Here? Yes. Yes, the conservatives and Trumpkins here endlessly obsess about Hillary. The 2016 election is like Prom for the Trumpkins and 30 years from now they will still be talking about every detail. Glory Days indeed.
   1119. dlf Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:22 AM (#5657471)
No, Greg, unfortunately, while on (in?) Key Largo we missed the formal rum tasting. It turned out to be in a hotel's bar / restaurant and we decided to stick to smaller places instead

What places, if you don't mind my asking?

Only place I remember by name was Alabama Jack's on Card Sound Road. The beer was cold, the fried fish good, I loved looking out at the Cyprus (?) trees and the little channel out back, but the bugs were amazing. Favorite place was on the southern side of the key where we had an amazing conch salad. There was another that had a walk-up window for fresh fish and was in a working (as opposed to pleasure boat) marina. Hopefully we get back and I ask a local like you for suggestions.
   1120. BDC Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5657473)
In my lifetime there have been twelve Presidents, seven Popes, eight Commissioners of Baseball, thirteen Doctor Whos … and one Queen of England. Elizabeth II is 92 years old today.
   1121. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5657474)
You can’t; he’s not just a dilettante like you. He took several I-Know-You-Are-But-What-Am-I classes at Fake Law School.
   1122. Count Posted: April 21, 2018 at 11:15 AM (#5657477)
Has anyone actually read the DNC lawsuit? I don't know if some or all of it is frivolous. They did hire a real law firm to do it.

1123. Count Posted: April 21, 2018 at 11:20 AM (#5657478)
Which is why Republicans couldn't wait to get its hands on the memos and Democrats fought to have them hidden.

BTW, here's Byron York:
Comey writes in memo that 'Clapper wanted' him to tell Trump about Moscow sex stuff in 1/6/17 meeting. Isikoff/Corn write that 'a few days earlier' Susan Rice wanted Clapper to tell Obama about Moscow sex stuff.
And of course, remember Susan Rice's contemporaneous* note to herself? The meeting she referenced took place the day before Comey met with Trump.

Nothing to see here, huh? Remember when Obama swore to us up and down that he took no part in ongoing investigations? Good times.

* "Contemporaneous," as in two weeks later. Hint: That's not what "contemporaneous" means. That's what "revisionist history" means.

I had assumed the Republican request was completely in bad faith: they asked the DOJ to produce them because if they didn't it would give some pretext to fire Rosenstein and try to shut the investigation down, and if they did produce them then the people being investigated would have more information about what the FBI knew. But now I think the GOP has been so poisoned that congressional leaders believe the conspiracy theories floated by the president and conservative media, and are totally impervious to facts, so thought that the Comey memos would help in some way. And once they were released, maintain that they help Trump. Hence you being wrong about McCabe having no impact on your thinking about these issues.

"Nothing to see here" is right - I have no idea what you even are trying to suggest happened. Once again, you aren't going to articulate your theory of wrongdoing.
   1124. BDC Posted: April 21, 2018 at 11:27 AM (#5657479)
Has anyone actually read the DNC lawsuit?

Here is the gist:

“Our lawsuit lays out, in no uncertain terms, that the nation should never under any circumstances move on from the 2016 election results,” said DNC chairman Tom Perez, adding that the 66-page lawsuit filed in a New York federal court asserts that the American people must remain solely preoccupied with every little ####### detail from the 2016 presidential race. “We’re calling on WikiLeaks, Russia, and Trump campaign officials to join the Democratic Party in our efforts to spend the next several years prioritizing endless ####### discussions about potential election interference and what that means for democracy.

No, wait, ####ammit, that really is the Onion this time.
   1125. Jess Franco Posted: April 21, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5657480)
Re: Trayon White

Yes, he made an ignorant comment. Yes, a more polished politician would have put that museum trip in the hands of a top-flight p.r. firm. And yes, a DC councilman needs to be held to high standards.

But what of the standard for ignorant one-takes here? Obviously not much of one, with the usual bell curve nonsense from our science guru and usual racist taunts from our noted white supremicist. I'm pledging not to respond to the usual suspects, engage in the usual shouting matches.

It's the more reasonable people who trouble me, whom I wish to engage. Can you really put yourself in a Ward 8 resident's shoes? White is apparently a lifelong resident. Would former federal goveenment bureaucats vist Ward 8, let alone live there? (Maybe, since a DHS office is there). How many Jews live in Ward 8? Can you really imagine yourself a average resident, Black, under 30, earning less than 20 grand a year?

I don't want to beat people up about their ignorance, having plenty of my own. But the thing that's going to ensure further political division and terrible political outcomes is a failure to even try to understand that US citizens and residents have radically different experiences of this country we share, and are treated radically different, especially if they are poor.

Credit should go to both White and his hosts, who didn't make it a media event AFAICT. Who likely is making it one, besides the usual gotcha crowd on social media, are White's local political opposition wary of White's mobilized voters.

New Face Claims Barry's Legacy

Ward 8 Demographics
   1126. Jess Franco Posted: April 21, 2018 at 11:32 AM (#5657481)
Has anyone actually read the DNC lawsuit? I don't know if some or all of it is frivolous. They did hire a real law firm to do it.

Perfect for a party of lawyers, first and foremost.
   1127. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5657483)
But what of the standard for ignorant one-takes here? Obviously not much of one, with the usual bell curve nonsense from our science guru and usual racist taunts from our noted white supremicist.

Am I neither of these, one, or both? Just asking for clarity.
   1128. Count Posted: April 21, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5657484)
No, wait, ####ammit, that really is the Onion this time.

That's funny. If there's legal merit to the lawsuit (and I have not read it yet or read a real analysis of it) it makes sense to me - it puts more pressure on the figures at issue, lays out the publicly available facts, could lead to discovery, and theoretically lead to some recovery (I mean, we all presumably agree that hacking the DNC was wrong and the perpetuators should be punished, right?). Again analogous to the lawsuit (that I had never heard of before) about Watergate that apparently was successful.
   1129. Count Posted: April 21, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5657485)
Am I neither of these, one, or both? Just asking for clarity.

I assumed TGF was both.
   1130. Jess Franco Posted: April 21, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5657487)

Am I neither of these, one, or both? Just asking for clarity

If the glove doesn't fit...
   1131. Jess Franco Posted: April 21, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5657490)
Was reading a bit on Simone de Beauvoir and feminist perspective on objectivication and thinking how many of these categories apply to White and his constituents. To be blunt, it pisses me off to assume ignorance equals low IQ, and to dismiss an entire ward as less than human.

Because that's exactly what's not so subtlely implied by such a comment, the very mindset that made slavery -- and a holocaust -- that's still very much alive today.
   1132. Morty Causa Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5657491)
Hasn't this guy been subject to education? How does someone reach his age and the stage of his life and remain so ignorant and just plain stupid? For that to happen, that person has to work at it pretty hard. Doesn't seem as if he even knows about WWII.
   1133. Morty Causa Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:21 PM (#5657495)
And according to Wiki, this numbnuts graduated "magna cum laude" from a university. Yes.
   1134. Omineca Greg Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:22 PM (#5657496)
Can you really put yourself in a Ward 8 resident's shoes?...Can you really imagine yourself a average resident, Black, under 30, earning less than 20 grand a year?

Not really.

Although I moved away from home at a young age and I have an inkling of what being poor is like, I always had a solidly middle-class family to fall back on.

I have known very few African Americans. Less than 10 that I know well enough to call friends. And more than half of those ten are lesbians, so I don't think I am dealing with a representative sample. There's black people in the Omineca, but they're Caribbean and African; no joke, I've learned more about the African immigrant experience than I have the African American one.

1135. Count Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:33 PM (#5657499)
The background maybe makes it more understandable, it doesn't make it excusable in a political leader. It's similar for rural whites who are anti-Muslim: they may be speaking out of ignorance but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be called out.
   1136. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:34 PM (#5657500)
“the nation should never under any circumstances move on from the 2016 election results,”

So is that the DNC, the Onion, or Ray?
   1137. Morty Causa Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5657501)
Well, no need to worry, for there's a movement gaining ground that holds America owes these sort of people a free Harvard education. And one that'll guarantee they graduate "magna cum laude." That'll straighten 'em out. Well, straighten out Harvard maybe, anyway.
   1138. Count Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:40 PM (#5657502)
Well, no need to worry, for there's a movement gaining ground that holds America owes these sort of people a free Harvard education. That'll straighten 'em out. Well, straighten out Harvard maybe, anyway.

Who are these sort of people? Morty I get the sense you're trolling for disagreement to prove some point about racism. Just come out and say it.
   1139. Count Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:42 PM (#5657503)
Also even aside from the anti-semitism, believing that jews control the weather is really stupid. The more scientific racists here would never say that!
   1140. Morty Causa Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5657504)
   1141. Jess Franco Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:50 PM (#5657505)

The background maybe makes it more understandable, it doesn't make it excusable in a political leader. It's similar for rural whites who are anti-Muslim: they may be speaking out of ignorance but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be called out.

What I am getting at is that you and I stand at a privileged position "calling out" both rural Whites and urban Blacks, and that perhaps something more is called for. Instead, the local Jewish community reached out for conversation. They continue to give him some benefit of the doubt, for complicated reasons, probably.

If I have a consistent criticism, it's judgement at a distance, at social remove, without skin in the game.

Social media billionaires might be unhappy if it were a rule.
   1142. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5657506)
Can you really put yourself in a Ward 8 resident's shoes? White is apparently a lifelong resident. Would former federal goveenment bureaucats vist Ward 8, let alone live there? (Maybe, since a DHS office is there). How many Jews live in Ward 8? Can you really imagine yourself a average resident, Black, under 30, earning less than 20 grand a year?

This is nonsense. Ward 8 isn't another planet, it's served by the same media and school system as the rest of the city. And it isn't that Trayvon White was just ignorant of the Holocaust, or even WWII generally - he actively supported a ridiculous anti-Semitic claim that the Rothchilds control the weather and are manipulating it to enrich themselves (climate change!). How do you get there, unless you're looking for that sort of stuff? The man is a college graduate, according to published reports. Stop making excuses for him. The KKK folks probably aren't very bright, either, but that's no reason to give them a pass.
   1143. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:57 PM (#5657507)
Mickey Mantle '52 Topps card sells for $2.88 million.

You know that my mom threw mine out about 50 years ago, at the same time she threw away a signed postcard from Malcolm X. This is what mothers do.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

Mothers are the main reason our national income levels are stagnant.
   1144. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5657508)
The KKK folks probably aren't very bright, either, but that's no reason to give them a pass.

I dunno, I've heard it said that some of them are very fine people.
   1145. Jess Franco Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5657509)
I believe he mentioned Rothschilds specificslly, not Jews generally. Now we know Rothschild is signal for Jews, specifically Jewish bankers, but did White? And I have no idea where the weather stuff originates.
   1146. Morty Causa Posted: April 21, 2018 at 12:59 PM (#5657510)

I was wondering if you had ever had such a card.
   1147. Jess Franco Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:00 PM (#5657511)
It's served by the same media and school system as the rest of the city.

Betcha even dream Republican.
   1148. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5657513)
Finally! A path forward for the many Democrats, here and elsewhere, who have indicated that the geriatric House Democratic Leadershio Team needs to be replaced - Assistant Minority Leader James Clyburn Urges Full Leadership Shake-Up If Democrats Fail To Retake The House:
Rep. Jim Clyburn, one of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s top lieutenants, said Friday that if Democrats fail to retake the House in November, the party’s entire House leadership team should step down.

“If we’re still in the minority” after Election Day, he told POLITICO following his annual fish fry here, “all of us have got to go.”

Need I say more? You know what to do, right?
   1149. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5657514)
I believe he mentioned Rothschilds specificslly, not Jews generally. Now we know Rothschild is signal for Jews, specifically Jewish bankers, but did White? And I have no idea where the weather stuff originates.

Seriously? Trayon White knew enough to claim that the Rothchilds controlled the United States Government, the World Bank, and the weather, but didn't know that was anti-Semitic? How gullible are you? How gullible do you think we are?
   1150. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5657515)
And according to Wiki, this numbnuts graduated "magna cum laude" from a university. Yes.

I believe that is a typo and he actually graduated “magna cum yeezy” for his paper on the ethos of “Gold Digger”.
   1151. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5657517)
What I am getting at is that you and I stand at a privileged position "calling out" both rural Whites and urban Blacks, and that perhaps something more is called for. Instead, the local Jewish community reached out for conversation. They continue to give him some benefit of the doubt, for complicated reasons, probably.

Wait a minute. Why can't we accept both are OK? The society at large should call out anyone who acts terribly, yes even if they are rural white or urban black. And as part of calling out poor behavior it is important to also offer reconciliation, because society if better off bringing them back into acceptable society rather than exiling them.

It is not either ... or. It is both.
   1152. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5657518)
Uh, guys ... it's Perros
   1153. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5657521)
Uh, guys ... it's Perros

Well yeah, but it was a sentiment I wanted to put out there even though I knew the person I was specifically answering would never ever understand it.
   1154. Jess Franco Posted: April 21, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5657523)
And it isn't that Trayvon White was just ignorant of the Holocaust, or even WWII generally - he actively supported a ridiculous anti-Semitic claim that the Rothchilds control the weather and are manipulating it to enrich themselves (climate change!). How do you get there, unless you're looking for that sort of stuff? The man is a college graduate, according to published reports.

What if he had said Al Gore has enriched himself off pushing Climate change? Or had grabbed antisemetic memes from neo-nazi websites and tweeted them out?

As for college graduates, I read some students recently demanded removing Greece and Rome from tbe curricula because tbey are white cities. Even barring such nonsense, there's plenty more dished out to impressionable yout.

Seriously? Trayon White knew enough to claim that the Rothchilds controlled the United States Government, the World Bank, and the weather, but didn't know that was anti-Semitic? How gullible are you? How gullible do you think we are?

I think you look for a (D) or an (R) of every politician and respond accordingly. Plus your anthropology sucks. People of all stripes repeat all kinds of ignorance on social media without knowledge of its broader origins. It's a pox, and piling on makes it worse.

I will probably continue to read your posts as a GOP newsfeed, but not argue with you.
   1155. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5657528)

I was wondering if you had ever had such a card.

BITD I actually did go to a Klan rally in Durham. Dressed the part, too, with my hair slicked back with Wildroot and a pack of Home Run cigarettes rolled up in my white T-shirt sleeve. The main speaker was Robert Shelton, who almost blew my cover when he started ranting about "preverts" and I was barely able to keep from cracking up. Lucky for me I didn't. That was the first time I'd ever heard that particular word garbled that way, and as you know, I'm a connoisseur of the vernacular. Bad combination when you're trying to stay incognito.
   1156. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5657547)
Has anyone actually read the DNC lawsuit?

Obama's Chief Political Strategist:
David Axelrod, @davidaxelrod
All of these sideshows—Comey’s flamboyant roll out; this @DNC lawsuit—seem spectacularly ill-timed and abet @POTUS strategy of portraying a sober and essential probe as a partisan vendetta. Everyone should chill out and let Mueller do his job.
   1157. zenbitz Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5657551)
Why are we discussing the strange feelings of a guy who thinks ANYONE can control the weather?
   1158. BDC Posted: April 21, 2018 at 02:55 PM (#5657553)
Political film of the week: Inch'Allah, a 2012 Canadian/French co-production. A Quebecoise doctor lives in Israeli Jerusalem and works in a women's clinic on the Arab side of the barrier. She becomes friends with a pregnant woman and her family – the woman's husband is in jail, looking at a long prison sentence; the family are activists and possibly terrorists. Meanwhile, the doctor's only Israeli friend is a stressed-out border guard who lives to party. Things get worse from there.

The film is potentially melodramatic, and even has something of a sensational plot; but the storytelling is very oblique and naturalistic. Not only isn't there much preaching, there isn't much exposition. It's not entirely successful. The center of the picture is a psychological portrait of the doctor, who is increasingly strung out; but she's such a cipher after a while that we don't get involved with her own story.

I seem to be one of two dozen people who have ever seen this movie, to judge from reviews (at least in English) on the Internet. It's worth seeing, with caveats that it's no masterpiece either psychologically or politically.
   1159. Srul Itza Posted: April 21, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5657559)
In my lifetime there have been twelve Presidents, seven Popes, eight Commissioners of Baseball, thirteen Doctor Whos … and one Queen of England.

Same here. So I imagine we are of a similar age.
   1160. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5657585)
I see that BBTF now has an Off Topic - Popular Culture thread. I would think that, rather than here, would now be the place for those who wish to discuss what they watch on TV, the movies they see, the non-political books they read, as well as the various 'snob threads' about liquor, beer, coffee, food, or apparel, and other matters unrelated to politics.
   1161. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5657593)
In my lifetime there have been twelve Presidents, seven Popes, eight Commissioners of Baseball, thirteen Doctor Whos … and one Queen of England.

Same here. So I imagine we are of a similar age.

I can claim the tail end of the reign of George VI. Of course, that's nothing compared to Andy, our last Victorian.
   1162. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 21, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5657595)
David Axelrod, @davidaxelrod
All of these sideshows—Comey’s flamboyant roll out; this @DNC lawsuit—seem spectacularly ill-timed and abet @POTUS strategy of portraying a sober and essential probe as a partisan vendetta. Everyone should chill out and let Mueller do his job.

With friends like these who needs enemies? It's telling that the Russian IC knows more of what makes Americans tick politically than the DNC. They at least understand the optics of it.

The DNC lawsuit is indeed spectacularly ill-timed it was utterly ####### predicable that Trump would link it to Mueller's work.

I see that BBTF now has an Off Topic - Popular Culture thread. I would think that, rather than here, would now be the place for those who wish to discuss what they watch on TV, the movies they see, the non-political books they read, as well as the various 'snob threads' about liquor, beer, coffee, food, or apparel, and other matters unrelated to politics.

Nah, there's really not enough of it to justify its own thread IMO. There's no need for additional moderation.
   1163. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 21, 2018 at 04:17 PM (#5657614)
I can claim the tail end of the reign of George VI. Of course, that's nothing compared to Andy, our last Victorian.

That's nothing. I can even remember when The New York Times covered baseball more than they did soccer.
   1164. Joe Bivens Hereby Demands! Posted: April 21, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5657659)
Has it been mentioned here that Trump tweeted that he didn't think Cohen would flip on him? that's something an innocent person would say? LOL! No. An innocent person would say "I am innocent therefore there is nothing to flip." But Trump says he THINKS Cohen won't flip. Trump often says he's innocent and it's all a witch hunt, but why not say the same when he speaks of Cohen? All he says regarding Cohen is that he won't flip. LOL! I thought there was nothing to flip?
   1165. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 05:43 PM (#5657678)
Paging YR!

President Donald Trump said Saturday that he is considering granting a posthumous pardon to boxer Jack Johnson on the advice of actor Sylvester Stallone.
"Sylvester Stallone called me with the story of heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson. His trials and tribulations were great, his life complex and controversial," Trump tweeted. "Others have looked at this over the years, most thought it would be done, but yes, I am considering a Full Pardon!"

Hmmm ... time to play that album again ...
   1166. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 05:43 PM (#5657679)
The fat, bald, spray-tanned hysteric in the White House just tweeted that despite numerous reports from the fake media, he’d never referred to Jeff Sessions as “Mr. Magoo” because he’d never heard of Mr. Magoo before.
   1167. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5657680)
Paging YR!

Meh, don’t care, doesn’t hurt anybody to do it. Jack Johnson was a jerk but he isn’t any more of a jerk if he gets a posthumous pardon from Wrestlemania President.

Hey Stallone, see if you can convince that gelatinous blowhard to declare Dempsey the proper winner of The Long Count fight.
   1168. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5657682)
DRAIN THE SWAMP!

EPA chief Scott Pruitt purchased a house in 2003 from a retiring lobbyist through a shell company registered to a business partner who now holds top political job at the agency The New York Times reported Saturday.

As a state senator in 2003, Pruitt became an owner of an Oklahoma City house held by a shell company registered under the name of a business partner and law school friend, Kenneth Wagner, the Times reported, citing a review of real estate and other public records. Wagner is now a senior adviser for regional and state affairs at the EPA.

The mortgage on the house was issued by a local bank led by another business associate, Albert Kelly, the Times said, citing the records. Kelly is now also one of Pruitt's top aides at the EPA, in charge of its Superfund program.

The purchase price of $375,000 was $100,000 less than what the lobbyist, Marsha Lindsey, had paid just a year earlier -- a difference picked up by her employer, telecom company SBC Oklahoma, the Times reported.
   1169. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 06:16 PM (#5657689)
Has it been mentioned here that Trump tweeted that he didn't think Cohen would flip on him? that's something an innocent person would say?

Might depend on the context. This is what Trump tweeted, folks can decide for themselves:
The New York Times and a third rate reporter named Maggie Haberman, known as a Crooked H flunkie who I don’t speak to and have nothing to do with, are going out of their way to destroy Michael Cohen and his relationship with me in the hope that he will “flip.” They use....

....non-existent “sources” and a drunk/drugged up loser who hates Michael, a fine person with a wonderful family. Michael is a businessman for his own account/lawyer who I have always liked & respected. Most people will flip if the Government lets them out of trouble, even if....

....it means lying or making up stories. Sorry, I don’t see Michael doing that despite the horrible Witch Hunt and the dishonest media!

Seems like Trump's saying there's nothing there and Cohen won't lie or make up stuff.
   1170. Joe Bivens Hereby Demands! Posted: April 21, 2018 at 06:50 PM (#5657696)
When he says "Most people will flip if the Government lets them out of trouble..." he doesn't say "Cohen isn't in trouble." And if Cohen is in trouble, it involves Trump.
   1171. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 21, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5657704)
President Donald Trump said Saturday that he is considering granting a posthumous pardon to boxer Jack Johnson on the advice of actor Sylvester Stallone.
"Sylvester Stallone called me with the story of heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson. His trials and tribulations were great, his life complex and controversial," Trump tweeted. "Others have looked at this over the years, most thought it would be done, but yes, I am considering a Full Pardon!"

"The Great White Dope."
   1172. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 07:31 PM (#5657707)
And if Cohen is in trouble, it involves Trump.

I suppose by now it's no longer surprising when folks again jump out ahead of what has been established to assume the worst for Trump. As others previously noted, since Mueller referred Cohen's case to the U.S Attorney for the Southern District of NY rather than handle it himself, it appears that Cohen's legal difficulties have nothing to do with Russia-Russia-Russia or any of the related matters Mueller was investigating. In the hearing on the privilege claims, the government said the investigation concerns Cohen's business dealings. Could those business dealings involve Trump? Sure, but AFAIK, that hasn't been reported much less established. If Cohen's own actions are the source of his legal problems, it wouldn't appear that he could "flip" on Trump even if he wanted to. The confidentially privilege belongs to the client, not the attorney. A lawyer can't just turn against his clients to cut a deal on his own unrelated crimes.
   1173. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 21, 2018 at 07:51 PM (#5657712)
Maybe we should have an OTP: Advanced Cockholstering where only Clapper and SBB can post.
   1174. Joe Bivens Hereby Demands! Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:00 PM (#5657718)
A lawyer can't just turn against his clients to cut a deal on his own unrelated crimes.

I said Cohen's crimes were related to Trump. You do your Monkey Dance all you want. You're a fool.
   1175. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:02 PM (#5657719)
Clapper, #1172:
As others previously noted, since Mueller referred Cohen's case to the U.S Attorney for the Southern District of NY rather than handle it himself, it appears that Cohen's legal difficulties have nothing to do with Russia-Russia-Russia or any of the related matters Mueller was investigating.

Seems that way. You should point this out to the President, too. Maybe he'd stop saying things like "I don’t see Michael doing that [flipping] despite the horrible Witch Hunt" and "A TOTAL WITCH HUNT!!!"
   1176. Stormy JE Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:07 PM (#5657721)
I had assumed the Republican request was completely in bad faith: they asked the DOJ to produce them because if they didn't it would give some pretext to fire Rosenstein and try to shut the investigation down, and if they did produce them then the people being investigated would have more information about what the FBI knew. But now I think the GOP has been so poisoned that congressional leaders believe the conspiracy theories floated by the president and conservative media, and are totally impervious to facts, so thought that the Comey memos would help in some way. And once they were released, maintain that they help Trump. Hence you being wrong about McCabe having no impact on your thinking about these issues.

"Nothing to see here" is right - I have no idea what you even are trying to suggest happened. Once again, you aren't going to articulate your theory of wrongdoing.
Last I checked, Congress can't fire Rosenstein.

As for your "conspiracy theory" handwaving, do you still deny that the Attorney General demanded the Bureau shut down the Clinton Foundation investigation, not just keep it quiet? Do you still deny that the AG sought to short-circuit the Hillary server investigation? Do you still believe the Attorney General and Bill Clinton didn't discuss either investigation on the Sky Harbor Airport tarmac?
   1177. Stormy JE Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:11 PM (#5657723)
Regarding Trump's morning tweets, reporters can be such idiots sometimes. (No, really!) Trump is known to dish to "Habberman" more frequently than Angel Hernandez blows strike calls, yet there were journalists rushing to defend Maggie as if the President was threatening her with a prison term. All he was doing was trying to call more attention to his Cohen tweets and these morons obliged.
   1178. Joe Bivens Hereby Demands! Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:20 PM (#5657729)
All he was doing was trying to call more attention to his Cohen tweets and these morons obliged.

Did he tell you this, Juan?

Trump's tweets get ample attention. You're another Dancing Monkey fool.
   1179. Stormy JE Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:34 PM (#5657732)
Tweet:
Reporters rushing to defend Maggie H from Trump’s tweet rather than focusing on him trying to influence a witness against him is just so classic.

Missing the actual news to cater to their own egos, always.

Our friend Craig Calcaterra replies:
Ain’t nothing as tribal and chummy as media tribal and chummy.

BTW, Joe[y] B, care to explain to everyone here your recent "Zionist, racist pig" comment?
   1180. Joe Bivens Hereby Demands! Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:34 PM (#5657733)
The fat, bald, spray-tanned hysteric in the White House just tweeted that despite numerous reports from the fake media, he’d never referred to Jeff Sessions as “Mr. Magoo” because he’d never heard of Mr. Magoo before.

Ray can fill him in.
   1181. Joe Bivens Hereby Demands! Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:35 PM (#5657734)
BTW, Joey B, care to explain to everyone here your recent "Zionist, racist pig" comment?

Sure. Zionism = racism. You're a Zionist, so you're a racist pig.
   1182. Stormy JE Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:40 PM (#5657738)
From The Weekly Standard, hardly a Trumpian publication...

Why Did Comey Mark Some of His Memos Unclassified?
It’s worth emphasizing that Comey, in writing his memos, did not turn them over to some independent classifying official. The director wrote his memos and gave each whatever classification he felt was appropriate (if not advantageous).

Comey began his first memo with a discussion of the classification question: “I am not sure of the proper classification here so have chosen SECRET”; he asked his colleagues to “Please let me know of [sic] it should be higher or lower than that.” The recipients of the memo may have had something to say about it because when Comey penned his second memo to the file—detailing his late January private dinner with Trump in the White House Green Room—he gave it a lower level of classification, “CONFIDENTIAL/ / NOFORN.”

Come February 8, 2017, Comey popped over to the White House “for a 4 pm ‘meet and greet’ with COS Reince Priebus.” For reasons not explained in the memo of that day’s activities, Comey bumped the classification back up to SECRET/ /NOFORN.

Six days later, Comey was at the White House again, this time to attend “an Oval office homeland threat briefing for the President.” As Comey puts in that day’s memo, “At the completion of the session, the President thanked everyone and said he wanted to speak with me alone.” One would think that a private conversation about policy with the president would be the sort of thing that would warrant a SECRET designation, or at the very least, CONFIDENTIAL. And yet—again for reasons not explained—all of a sudden Comey’s document is labeled UNCLASSIFIED/ /NOFORN. Nor is it merely some after-the-fact designation. Midway through the text of the memo, Comey writes this note: “because this is an unclassified document, I will be limited in how I describe what I said next.”

In other words, after writing a series of SECRET or CONFIDENTIAL memos detailing his interactions with the president, all of a sudden Comey starts treating his conversations with Trump as UNCLASSIFIED. Which brings us back to the question: Why?

It can’t be because the material discussed was uniquely unrelated to matters of national security or ongoing FBI investigations. After all, it is the February 14 meeting at which Trump discussed the dismissed National Security Advisor Michael Flynn, the meeting at which Trump famously said (according to Comey) “Flynn is a good guy and has been through a lot … I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go. He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go.” Thus, the conversation involved discussion of what can be assumed to have been, then, an ongoing investigation, the very sort of thing that would be at the very least CONFIDENTIAL if not SECRET. And yet in writing the memo, for the first time Comey specifically constrains what he says and how he says it so that he can give it an UNCLASSIFIED designation. Was this because Comey was already strategizing how to leak the information without putting himself at risk of being found to have released classified information?

One can see the value of the classification games in testimony Comey gave the Senate Judiciary Committee in his last days as FBI director. On May 3, 2017, Comey was asked by Sen. Charles Grassley, “Has any classified information relating to President Trump or his associates been declassified and shared with the media?” Comey answered, “Not to my knowledge.” Let’s imagine that Comey had personally already handed his Flynn memo to the New York Times (as opposed to later giving it to his professor friend to read to the Times). Even if that were the case, Comey’s statement to Grassley would not have been a lie. By shifting gears and making the Feb. 14 memo UNCLASSIFIED, Comey made it possible to release the memo, should he choose to do so, while retaining the ability to state if pressed—and do so entirely truthfully—that he had not leaked any classified material.

Comey’s remaining memos are also UNCLASSIFIED, until his last, a document recounting an April telephone call. Comey (again without explanation) reverts to classifying it as CONFIDENTIAL.

For all this careful crafting to maintain the ability to tell the truth under oath, the practice of the memo-writing and distribution placed Comey in the position of lying to Trump’s team. For example, consider this exchange recounted by Comey in the document he wrote memorializing his Feb. 8 White House meeting with Chief of Staff Reince Priebus : “He then asked me if this was a ‘private conversation.’” Comey writes. “I replied that it was.” Exactly how is a conversation “private” if it is being written down and disseminated?

Comey’s memos also made it more likely that leaks would happen, even as he told the president he was doing everything possible to limit inappropriate release of information. Trump, worried about the bad press he’d been getting through leaks, repeatedly asks Comey what can be done about them. The director assures the president that he’s on the job, but educates Trump repeatedly about the way Washington leaks: “I explained my view,” Comey writes, “that they almost always come from one or two hops out…” True enough. But by sharing with a handful of colleagues notes of his private conversations with Trump and others at the White House, Comey was increasing dramatically the number of people who were “one hop out” and thus in a position to leak.
Emphasis mine.

Still nothing to see here, folks...
   1183. Stormy JE Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:47 PM (#5657741)
Bookmarked.
   1184. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 21, 2018 at 08:51 PM (#5657747)

This is Bevins; he is what he is.
   1185. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:04 PM (#5657754)
Every time I see "Larvell B", I think of "Cardi B". I have decided to put that image in my head whenever I read his posts.

Whenever I see "Larvell B", the image it conjures in my mind is enough in itself to keep him on Ignore.

Cardi B is my new hero. It was priceless to watch as she finally began earning money -- she started out as an adult dancer and then signed her first major label record deal in February 2017 -- and then she awoke to discover just how much in taxes she'd be paying.

Quoting:

The New York City native, 25, took to social media on Thursday launching into a fast-paced rant about how she was unhappy at the rate she was being taxed, as well as not seeing any sort of return on her dollar.

'So you know the government is taking 40 percent of my taxes and Uncle Sam, I want to f***ing know what you're doing with my f***ing tax money!' she said.

The MotorSport artist said she wanted an itemized list of places where the money went, comparing the taxes to charitable donations.

'When you donate, like, to a kid from a foreign country, they give you updates of what they're doing with your donation,' she said. 'I want updates on my tax money!'

She cited her hometown of the Big Apple as an example of where she isn't seeing the money going.

'I'm from New York and the streets is always dirty, we was voted the dirtiest city in America,' she said, adding that 'there's still rats in the trains.'

The performer, whose real name is Belcalis Almanzar, said, I know you're not spending it in the damn prison,' citing meager supplies given to inmates in custody.

...She said, 'What is you doing with my f***ing money? I want to know, I want receipts, I want everything ... Uncle Sam I want to know what the f**k you're doing with my f***ing money!'

The audio is priceless.

Don't we all want receipts and to see a return on our dollar, Cardi B. Don't we all.
   1186. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:08 PM (#5657756)
Assuming the reporting is accurate, at best, Councilman White is historically ignorant, amazingly self-centered and unwilling to expand the tiniest effort to become educated on a tragedy that be-struck millions within living memory. More likely, he is simply an anti-Semite.

As well as one staggeringly dumb ####### politician.

How the hell do you #### this opportunity up.

Because he's an anti-Semite.
   1187. Lassus Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:16 PM (#5657760)
I can see Ray is welcoming more entitled whiners into the world.
   1188. -- Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:41 PM (#5657779)
Michael is a businessman for his own account/lawyer who I have always liked & respected.

OBSTRUCTION!!

1189. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:47 PM (#5657789)
Mueller absolutely deserves to be fired

Really? Has Mueller broken the law in some way?

No; by all accounts Mueller has acted appropriately in the job.

It's the JOB that shouldn't exist, which is why Mueller should be fired. The reason for the job was by any sane measure a farce.

-- which is not the same thing as thinking it would be a good idea if Trump fires him. On the one hand I'd welcome the firing because it's deserved, but I'd rather see what Mueller uncovers -- including on the Democrats' side -- or doesn't uncover. Trump would open himself up to being vulnerable if he fires Mueller. But make no mistake: the premise for this witch hunt -- Russia collusion by Trump -- still has no basis after all of this time, after all of the investigation and subpoenas and plea deals and indictments.

Once more: it's not a witch hunt, it's still early, and that's not the premise.
Mueller (and the SD of NY) are now far afield from the original mandate,

I don't think it's "early" at all. Which is not to say it's late -- the hard right is incorrect about that. There's still plenty for Mueller to investigate but it most certainly is not early.

But the original mandate was to investigate Russia collusion and the evidence for that -- at least from Trump's camp; Hillary's camp is a different story -- has been microscopic. Obviously Mueller is allowed to investigate whatever potential crimes he may uncover, but the mandate was not "Let's investigate Paul Manafort for money laundering." They didn't need a special counsel for that.

1190. Greg K Posted: April 21, 2018 at 09:49 PM (#5657792)
Governments publish budgets don't they?

What the government spends tax revenue on has always struck me as the most debated/discussed political issue there is. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard to get information.

Though the charity tracking idea might be a good one. Maybe the federal government should start a program. You tell them some program you support, and they'll send you a little pamphlet every year updating you on what your tax bill paid for. If you're a fan of defence spending than maybe you get a picture of a soldier posing with an assault rifle that costs the same as your tax bill. Better yet, if you like the pamphlet program you get a pamphlet with a photo of the guy mocking up the pamphlets for the people who like the pamphlet program.
   1191. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5657798)

We have several quotes where Trump talks about the firing of Comey and then immediately talks about Russia! Russia!, but those two things are totally not related because he didn't actually say the EXACT words "I fired Comey because of the Russia investigation."

For the slow kids: "I fired Comey because of the Russia investigation" is different from "I fired Comey to turn off the heat of the Russia investigation." I don't doubt Trump fired Comey "because of the Russia investigation." Which is all BDC's quote showed. But the actual issue under discussion was whether Trump admitted to firing Comey to turn the heat off of the Russia investigation (as well as whether Trump went on the record with this). And, again, no rational person could believe that firing Comey would end any Russia investigations.

BDC cited the Holt quote and then dropped the mic:

Trump told NBC's Lester Holt: "And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said 'you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story, it's an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won'."

But no mic dropping is warranted. There Trump doesn't say anything about "heat." He says he fired Comey because of Russia because Russia is a made-up story and an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won. And it's perfectly reasonable to fire Comey because Comey thinks it's worthwhile to investigate a conspiracy theory. And since Trump knows whether Trump colluded then Trump would know whether the issue warranted an investigation. Moreover "Trump colluded with Russia" sounded loony from the beginning, particularly given how the talking point arose.

If Comey says to Trump "I am going to investigate whether you conspired with bin Laden to bring down the towers" Trump would be very reasonable in firing Comey. Even though the issue hadn't been "investigated" yet.

1192. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:03 PM (#5657802)
Governments publish budgets don't they?

Yes. That's how we know we're getting a horrifically bad return on our tax dollars.

What the government spends tax revenue on has always struck me as the most debated/discussed political issue there is. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard to get information.

Cardi B wants information on where her specific tax dollars went.
   1193. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:05 PM (#5657804)
Wasn't remotely true w/r/t Hillary, BM. I don't know why you're pretending it was.

Yes, yes it was. If something worth prosecuting Hillary existing I am OK with doing so.

You may be now. You weren't before November 8, 2016, and neither were virtually all Democrats. Which was sort of the issue under discussion.
   1194. tshipman Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:11 PM (#5657808)
For the slow kids: "I fired Comey because of the Russia investigation" is different from "I fired Comey to turn off the heat of the Russia investigation."

wat.
   1195. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:17 PM (#5657814)
The MSM is picking up on her comments but it's "conservatives [who] endlessly obsess over her?"

Here? Yes. Yes, the conservatives and Trumpkins here endlessly obsess about Hillary. The 2016 election is like Prom for the Trumpkins and 30 years from now they will still be talking about every detail. Glory Days indeed.

The 2016 election is certainly fun re-living, but maybe it would fade into the background if Democrats didn't do things like file a frivolous lawsuit over it.

Did you hear, BM? The deranged DNC just filed a lawsuit over the 2016 election.
   1196. Greg K Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:23 PM (#5657819)
Cardi B wants information on where her specific tax dollars went.

I don't know how else to answer that question other than dividing your tax bill up by the same proportions as the overall budget.

My money is pretty indistinguishable from anyone else's once the government gets its hands on it (or a business for that matter). When I buy a ticket to a Jays game I can't tell them "this money better be going towards Josh Donaldson's wages, not those of Kendrys Morales". The money goes into the pool and is put towards the useful stuff and the stupid stuff.
   1197. zenbitz Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:29 PM (#5657821)
What do democrats have to do with Comey's investigation? He was commissioned by a Republican congress. He himself isn't even a Democrat, but even if he was, he didn't empower himself to investigate Trump's campaign; congress did.
   1198. Stormy JE Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:41 PM (#5657828)
He was commissioned by a Republican congress.
Huh? Obama nominated Comey to be director of the FBI. Congress didn't "commission" him to investigate Trump. And no one's claiming he's a partisan Democrat, but that he let Hillary off the hook and went after Trump because he's out for himself.
   1199. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:43 PM (#5657830)
I don't know how else to answer that question other than dividing your tax bill up by the same proportions as the overall budget.

lmao Ray is a child

But if you ask him (well, you don’t need to, he’ll be happy to tell you unprompted), he’s THE VERY SERIOUS LIBERTARIAN.
   1200. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:48 PM (#5657834)

From The Weekly Standard, hardly a Trumpian publication...

Why Did Comey Mark Some of His Memos Unclassified?
Perhaps not, but I'm not sure why TWS is having its culture critic write uninformed columns about legal issues. Felten does not appear to understand the difference between sensitive and classified.
Page 12 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12 13 14 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Vegas Watch
for his generous support.