Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 23, 2018

OTP 2018 Apr 23: The Dominant-Sport Theory of American Politics

All true, and I have joined in the tut-tutting. Yet I can’t help noticing that the people making these criticisms are mostly a bunch of white guys born in the 1960s. I came along near the start of that decade, so I’ve seen a few cultural shifts in my day, and the first one came via early-1970s headlines proclaiming “Baseball No Longer the National Pastime,” after polls showed that football had become America’s most popular sport. Pundits lamented football’s rise (“violence punctuated by committee meetings,” in George Will’s memorable phrase, though he was certainly no stranger to the press box at Redskins games), and indeed, the change coincided with a trend toward greater complication, bureaucratization, and crudity in American life. After brushing off the 1980s soccer scare, football remained unchallenged for decades.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 23, 2018 at 08:10 AM | 1350 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nba, nfl, off-topic, politics, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. -- Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5659167)
So, it's impossible to obstruct justice if one is not under investigation? interesting.

As to yourself, pretty much yeah.

That's theory. On the facts here, the idea is comical, for the reasons I've outlined. There's no evidence whatsoever that Trump fired Comey to relieve investigatory pressure on himself. Comey had already assured him that there was none. Once Comey told him that three times, it was in Trump's personal interest to keep Comey in place -- not fire him.

(And this of course doesn't even get to the simple point that changing FBI directors doesn't end investigations -- which is why this one hasn't ... you know ... ended.)
   402. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5659173)
Like -- coincidentally -- your Trumpista comrade Ray, you keep forgetting that Donald Trump isn't the only person in the country. Even if Trump implausibly were innocent and even if he knew he was innocent and even if Comey wasn't investigating Trump, there was a Russia investigation going on. Trump firing Comey to protect Trump Jr. or Manafort or Kushner or Gates or Flynn or Papadopoulos or Melania or Scott Baio from justice would constitute obstruction to the same extent that firing Comey to protect himself would.

QFT.
   403. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5659174)
WTF is the "scandal" in that daily caller link?

The answer here is "anything that keeps the Daily Caller idiots in a lather about Hillary and Obama." They. Are. Nutjobs.
   404. -- Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5659177)
Trump firing Comey to protect Trump Jr. or Manafort or Kushner or Gates or Flynn or Papadopoulos or Melania or Scott Baio from justice would constitute obstruction to the same extent that firing Comey to protect himself would.

This is gibberish and we're back to pizza.(*) Trump firing Comey doesn't (**) "protect" anyone from anything.

(*) I'm putting extra garlic on my slice to protect Manafort and Scott Baio from investigation. That's just as plausible a "theory."

(**) And didn't.
   405. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5659184)
WTF is the "scandal" in that daily caller link? Goodness. That some shady ass IT guy for the DNC (who happened to be Muslim, extra scary!) had access to some classified material? And WTF does that have to do with Obama?
The most recent assertion is that Awan's father transferred a USB drive to a Pakistani lawmaker and former head of a Pakistani intelligence agency and now has a security detail protecting him. Don't forget that Wasserman Schultz kept Awan on the payroll for at least six months after a criminal investigation was revealed and he had been barred from the House IT network. You may also recall that DWS acted in a bizarrely threatening manner when the Capitol Police chief refused to return the laptop Awan had left in a Capitol Hill alcove for investigators to find. And of the 44 or so House Democrats who had employed Awan's services -- all of them exempted him from required background checks -- several were members of the House Intel and Foreign Affairs committees.

And I didn't say this scandal was about Obama.
   406. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5659186)
The bona fides of the entire RUSSIA! RUSSIA! enterprise remain very much in question. What we've seen to date about its inception is not reassuring, to say the least.

How can it be saying the least, when you never stop saying it?
   407. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5659188)
It's all quite confusing.
Agreed, which is why the MSM's almost total lack of interest in a subject matter with so many twists and turns is so perplexing/damning.
   408. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5659197)
The Supreme Court issued some decisions today, which has created a bit of buzz about the Wisconsin redistricting case, Gill v. Whitford, which WASN'T decided today. Gill was argued during the October sitting of the Court, and it is somewhat customary to assign the opinion writing so that each Justice writes an opinion before another writes a second, if the outcomes allow. With Justice Kennedy writing a majority opinion today, that only leaves Roberts & Gorsuch not having written a decision from the October sitting. Not guaranteed, but it is fairly likely one of the two will write the majority opinion, more likely the Chief Justice, IMHO, given the significance of the case.
   409. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5659205)
The most recent assertion is that Awan's father transferred a USB drive to a Pakistani lawmaker and former head of a Pakistani intelligence agency and now has a security detail protecting him. Don't forget that Wasserman Schultz kept Awan on the payroll for at least six months after a criminal investigation was revealed and he had been barred from the House IT network. You may also recall that DWS acted in a bizarrely threatening manner when the Capitol Police chief refused to return the laptop Awan had left in a Capitol Hill alcove for investigators to find. And of the 44 or so House Democrats who had employed Awan's services -- all of them exempted him from required background checks -- several were members of the House Intel and Foreign Affairs committees.

So you're implying what exactly? That the DNC conspired to allow Pakistan access to classified material?
   410. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5659209)
So you're implying what exactly? That the DNC conspired to allow Pakistan access to classified material?
I'm implying only that there's a scandal here involving classified information with many unanswered questions and the MSM doesn't give a ####. Compare with the mortal threat to the Republic when a congressional staffer questions the wardrobe choice of an Obama daughter...
   411. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5659210)
I'm implying only that there's a scandal here involving classified information with many unanswered questions and the MSM doesn't give a ####. Compare with the mortal threat to the Republic when a congressional staffer questions the wardrobe choice of an Obama daughter...

So if it's such a scandal why isn't the GOP controlled Legislature on top of it? Seems right up their alley. Maybe the media is "ignoring" it because there's no there there?
   412. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5659216)
So if it's such a scandal why isn't the GOP controlled Legislature on top of it? Seems right up their ally.
Awan was arrested and a larger federal investigation is proceeding. Also, Congress is generally reluctant to hold investigations directly affecting its own Members.
Maybe the media is "ignoring" it because there's no there there?
OK, waste someone else's time. To you, cyber breaches only matter if it involves Trump and Russia.
   413. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5659222)
There is speculation that the Supreme Court is ready to take a hammer to egregious gerrymandering, and could be looking to release their three redistricting decisions together, to create cover against any accusations of partisanship "against" one side. Some court watchers have guessed that's why the Court even took the third, relatively puny case from Maryland. If so, that could play into the schedule jockeying that Clapper correctly describes in #408-- and thus they might ice the Gill decision longer than normal, until their Maryland and Texas decisions are also ready. Court watchers always guess wrong about some stuff every year, though.
   414. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5659226)
The Supreme Court issued some decisions today,
Speaking of which, the Court split 5-4, along the cliched ideological lines... on the issue of whether when the Patent Office conducts an inter partes review of a patent's validity, it must consider all the claims raised by the petitioner or whether it may choose to only review some of those claims. (This is probably of substantive interest only to our Friendly Neighborhood Ray.) But to Andy's way of evaluating cases, this would somehow be a data point about partisan judges or something.
   415. DavidFoss Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5659243)
Not guaranteed, but it is fairly likely one of the two will write the majority opinion, more likely the Chief Justice, IMHO, given the significance of the case.

Maybe it is a 9-0 decision? :-)

Thinking about a partisan court decision about partisan gerrymandering makes my head hurt. Do SCOTUS members plan on changing their minds every ten years depending on which party is drawing the more important district lines?
   416. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5659258)
Agreed, which is why the MSM's almost total lack of interest in a subject matter with so many twists and turns is so perplexing/damning.

Awan is already in custody and has already been charged, with the trial pending.

You're bothered because the MSM isn't interviewing OTHER PEOPLE already in jail making claims about a 3rd person who sounds one X shy of an Alex Jones?

417. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5659259)
Amber Athey:
How to be The New York Times:

Step 1: Write an article complaining about fake news

Step 2: Insert your own fake news into your article about fake news

Step 3: Issue correction on your article about fake news

Nice.
   418. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5659260)
You're bothered because the MSM isn't interviewing OTHER PEOPLE already in jail making claims about a 3rd person who sounds one X shy of an Alex Jones?
Now do Trump-Russia 2013 flight plans and tell us who's light years closer to Alex Jones.
   419. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5659262)
If so, that could play into the schedule jockeying that Clapper correctly describes in #408-- and thus they might ice the Gill decision longer than normal, until their Maryland and Texas decisions are also ready. Court watchers always guess wrong about some stuff every year, though.

The Texas redistricting case is being argued today. It would be a bit unusual for the Court to have decided it based on arguments in other cases that are only somewhat similar. Possible, I suppose, but I have some doubt that is the most likely scenario.
   420. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5659263)

Now do Trump-Russia flight plans and tell me who's light years closer to Alex Jones.

The minute Trump is charged and awaiting trial... while various Trumpkins already in jail for other crimes start spinning additional tails - I assure you... my plate will be full and satiated.
   421. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5659264)
Now do Trump-Russia 2013 flight plans and tell us who's light years closer to Alex Jones.

Are you honestly so incredibly stupid as to believe that a story wrapped tightly around the sitting "president" of the United States isn't going to get more coverage than a follow up to a story about an IT guy from a previous admin (tangentially) that's already been arrested? Honestly, are you this goddamned dumb?
   422. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:59 PM (#5659268)
Are you honestly so incredibly stupid as to believe that a story wrapped tightly around the sitting "president" of the United States isn't going to get more coverage than a follow up to a story about an IT guy from a previous admin (tangentially) that's already been arrested? Honestly, are you this goddamned dumb?

It's even dumber than that.

You're forgetting that it's about one guy already on trial facing a multitude of charges who another guy also in jail... says the guy facing charges did... basically what he's already on trial for doing.

423. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5659273)

Plus even JE admits it is complex and confusing. There is nothing more the media loves than a complex and confusing story about low level guys doing stuff from years ago.
   424. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5659285)
It involves a cyber breach, classified information, the DNC Chairwoman (now ex-DNC Chairwoman) hired Awan and kept paying him several months after a criminal investigation had been publicly announced, she openly threatens the head of the Capitol Police, 44 Members of Congress were affected by the data breach, his family fled to Pakistan, and now there's a report the dude's dad passed along contents of the hard drive to Pakistani intel.

Oh wait, that's right, all of the Members affected were Democrats. Media coverage? What on earth was I thinking?
   425. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:18 PM (#5659293)
Amber Athey:

How to be The New York Times:

Step 1: Write an article complaining about fake news

Step 2: Insert your own fake news into your article about fake news
Step 2A: Ignore all 9 pages of this.

Step 3: Issue correction on your article about fake news

Nice.

How to be JE:

Step 1: Post yet another link that comes up as a blank page.**

Step 2: Ignore every last attack by Donald Trump against the media, minorities, women, the law, our institutions, and simple common decency, in the vain hope that everyone else will.

Step 3: Repeat Step 2 as often as necessary.

** Although admittedly providing a dead end link to someone who's probably connected to Breitbart or The Daily Caller isn't the world's worst offense against humanity.

426. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5659297)
Oh wait, that's right, all of the Members affected were Democrats. Media coverage? What on earth was I thinking?

Juan knows the Jews control the media.
   427. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5659302)
It involves a cyber breach, classified information, the DNC Chairwoman (now disgraced ex-DNC Chairwoman) hired Awan and kept paying him several months after a criminal investigation had been publicly announced, she openly threatens the head of the Capitol Police, 44 Members of Congress were affected by the data breach, his family fled to Pakistan, and now there's a report the dude's dad passed along contents of the hard drive to Pakistani intel.

ALL of which was previously reported -- and hashed to death here - last year.

The exception is a guy already in jail on other fraud charges claiming delivery of a USB device. And the Daily Caller went to Pakistan to interview a loon involved in this already charged crime.

The entire lynchpin of this story is this guy - currently in jail for running a fraudulent travel scheme three years ago.

Who says, per Jason's DC piece -

Minhas told The Daily Caller News Foundation that Imran Awan’s father, Haji Ashraf Awan, was giving data to Pakistani official Rehman Malik, and that Imran bragged he had the power to “change the U.S. president.”

Asked for how he knew this, he said that on one occasion in 2008 when a “USB [was] given to Rehman Malik by Imran’s father, my brother Abdul Razzaq was with his father.”

“After Imran’s father deliver (sic) USB to Rehman Malik, four Pakistani [government intelligence] agents were with his father 24-hour on duty to protect him,” he said. Minhas did not say what was on the USB.
   428. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5659305)
   429. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:28 PM (#5659309)
ALL of which was previously reported -- and hashed to death here - last year.
It was "hashed to death here" last year because I had raised the issue, observing that the MSM was pretty much ignoring the story.

How about that?
   430. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5659312)
How to be Andy: Anytime a failing by his beloved NYT or the Democratic Party is noted, demand that all present denounce Donald Trump, since nothing else matters or is worthy of discussion.
   431. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5659321)
It was "hashed to death here" last year because I had raised the issue, observing that the MSM was pretty much ignoring the story.

How about that?

Congrats. You sound like you're the same sort of mover and shaker, with the power to change the world, as your Pakistani friend.

If I add some money to Minhas' prison commissary account, I bet I could get him to say that you laundered the pee out of Trump's bed sheets.
   432. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5659322)
Here's an article about something important yet esoteric involving Muhammad Ali that maybe even Yankee Redneck has never heard about.

I have never heard of this before, and it's great. Thank you.
   433. DavidFoss Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:36 PM (#5659327)
How about that?

I saw it other places as well. Awan's wikipedia page includes references from the Washington Post, the Miami Herald, CBS, BuzzFeed, the New York Times, Politico, CNN, Fox, AP, the Sun-Sentinel and some place in Pakistan called "Dawn".

434. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5659334)
I saw it other places as well. Awan's wikipedia page includes references from the Washington Post, the Miami Herald, CBS, BuzzFeed, the New York Times, Politico, CNN, Fox, AP, the Sun-Sentinel and some place in Pakistan called "Dawn".

In Jason's world, the glaring lack of any new Nightline-style program launches constitutes deafening MSM silence.
   435. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5659339)
Close, zonkie: One-off articles on the web site don't impress. Next you'll say with a straight face that the MSM got the Kermit Gosnell story right.
   436. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5659340)
How to be Andy: Anytime a failing by his beloved NYT or the Democratic Party is noted, demand that all present denounce Donald Trump, since nothing else matters or is worthy of discussion.

Clapper, in your case I might settle for just one sincere post-RNC convention denunciation that would anger Trump if he ever were to read it. I realize that truth telling about Trump doesn't fall within your "job" description, but maybe just for a change of pace.
   437. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:53 PM (#5659342)
In Jason's world, the glaring lack of any new Nightline-style program launches constitutes deafening MSM silence.

Remember, Jason believed wholeheartedly that Breitbart's initial crusades again "Big Media" and "Big Hollywood" was the most crucial thing on the planet, and that St. Andrew's empire has only been waylaid from this Very Important Project because of Mean Ol' Steven Bannon. Given the facts on the ground, he has reformulated his adulation of anyone who feeds his 'evil libral media' tapeworm into a sycophantic reliance on Tucker Carlson's tabloid.
   438. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5659346)
Sales Figures for Comey’s ‘A Higher Loyalty’ Dwarf Recent Political Best Sellers

Former F.B.I. director James Comey’s book, “A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership,” has dominated headlines for more than a week, and became an instant blockbuster, selling more than 600,000 copies in all formats during its first week on sale.

Mr. Comey’s publisher, Flatiron Books, has ordered multiple reprints to meet demand, and now has more than a million copies in print.

The early sales figures for Mr. Comey’s book dwarfed other recent political best sellers. Hillary Clinton’s memoir, “What Happened,” sold more than 300,000 copies in all formats in its first week on sale. And “Fire and Fury,” Michael Wolff’s explosive look inside the Trump White House, sold around 200,000 hardcover copies in its first full week on sale, according to NPD BookScan, which tracks about 85 percent of print sales. Mr. Wolff’s book, which came out in January, has sold more than 2 million copies to date....

In a sign of how fraught and politicized the conversation surrounding the book has become, Amazon limited reviews of “A Higher Loyalty” to Amazon customers who have purchased the book through the site, presumably to prevent trolls and cheerleaders who haven’t read the book from skewing the ratings. Normally, anyone can leave a review of a book without having to purchase it through Amazon. The filter suggests that Amazon noticed that people were flooding the site with political opinions rather than straight book reviews.

“This product currently has limitations on submitting reviews,” a message on the site says. “This may be because we detected unusual review behavior on this product.”

Amazon said that its action in limiting reviews for Mr. Comey’s book wasn’t that unusual, and noted that reviews aren’t suppressed simply for being nasty. “We never reject reviews based on star rating or sentiment,” the company said in a statement. “When numerous reviews post in a short amount of time that are unrelated to the product, we suppress all non-Amazon Verified Purchase (AVP) reviews.”

Still, the bulk of the reviews on Amazon are overwhelmingly positive. Of the more than 800 reviews posted as of Tuesday morning, 90 percent were five stars. Perhaps Mr. Comey’s staunchest detractors don’t want to buy and read the book after all.
   439. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5659347)
I guess Comey's not just out there "trying" to sell a book anymore.
   440. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 24, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5659351)

Close, zonkie: One-off articles on the web site don't impress.

Yeah, Juan can't masturbate to that. He needs prolonged stimulation to get off.
   441. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5659356)
Remember, Jason believed wholeheartedly that Breitbart's initial crusades again "Big Media" and "Big Hollywood" was the most crucial thing on the planet, and that St. Andrew's empire has only been waylaid from this Very Important Project because of Mean Ol' Steven Bannon.

Hell, JE would've stood as a character witness for Andrew Breitbart himself at the gate of St. Peter, and would likely do so for James O'Keefe when his time mercifully arrives. JE travels only in the BEST of circles.
   442. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5659360)
JE travels only in the BEST of circles.

Where else could he find material from /pol to quote adoringly?
   443. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5659366)
I'm still wondering what circles he travels in where Peter King isn't a "conservative".
   444. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5659367)
I'm still wondering what circles he travels in where Peter King isn't a "conservative".
Heritage Action says what?
   445. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5659370)

Trumpkin circles.

If memory serves, Peter King got tossed off the bandwagon when he (allegedly) made those intemperate supermarket comments about Trump to Erik Son of Erik.

Doesn't matter that he was a loyal soldier prior... Once you break the Orangemerta code, even off the record, you lose Conservative status.

It's a lesson the Coozy Nosers all learn when they take the blood oath.
   446. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5659371)
Hell, JE would've stood as a character witness for Andrew Breitbart himself at the gate of St. Peter, and would likely do so for James O'Keefe when his time mercifully arrives. JE travels only in the BEST of circles.
Indeed, Andrew was an amazing individual but he'll never be forgiven for dying.

Also, Andy, don't you have an anti-Semitic DC Councilman and fake news purveyor to apologize for?
   447. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5659375)
It's a lesson the Coozy Nosers all learn when they take the blood oath.
Being holed up in that Canadian bungalow really did #### with your screws. Aside from the abortion issue, Peter King has never been thought of as a conservative. He even voted against the tax cut last December.
   448. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:19 PM (#5659376)

Tsk tsk.

You're supposed to blame the Mexicans that smuggled the coke he gorged himself on.
   449. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5659378)
Being holed up in that Canadian bungalow really did #### with your screws. Aside from the abortion issue, Peter King has never been thought of as a conservative. He even voted against the tax cut last December.

Beats bending over so the Orange can #### and screw me to his heart's content.

450. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5659381)
In a sign of how fraught and politicized the conversation surrounding the book has become, Amazon limited reviews of “A Higher Loyalty” to Amazon customers who have purchased the book through the site, presumably to prevent trolls and cheerleaders who haven’t read the book from skewing the ratings.

UNFAIR! Jeff Bezos is attacking Emperor Trump by not letting his legions of Russian trolls American trolls shiftless Stupids online advocates opine on a book they may or may not have read!
   451. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:27 PM (#5659385)
Aside from the abortion issue, Peter King has never been thought of as a conservative.

Juan vs Reality.
   452. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5659387)
   453. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5659392)

AFAIC that was his sole redeeming move.

Also, Andy, don't you have an anti-Semitic DC Councilman and fake news purveyor to apologize for?

Along with most local Jewish leaders, I gave Trayon White a wait-and-see when he first apologized and planned a visit to the Holocaust Museum, but that was then. I can now only hope that his voters will replace him the next time around, but like those 63,000,000 Trump voters who gave Trump's racism and misogyny a pass, those 26,000 Ward 8 voters who voted for him last time are in sore need of some moral recalculation.
   454. canadian shield Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5659393)
I don't agree with prison time but it's disingenuous to imply he was convicted for (just) flipping the bird to a camera:

The 67-year-old had fitted his Range Rover with a device that told him when he was about to pass a camera.

It also jammed the roadside equipment’s laser, preventing police from recording how fast he was travelling.

I personally don't like roadside cameras and lasers but they're all over the place where I am.

455. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:56 PM (#5659397)

AFAIC that was his sole redeeming move.

IDK... something that took Jimmy Keefey with him to hell would have been hella redeeming.
   456. Count Posted: April 24, 2018 at 05:57 PM (#5659398)
Of course Peter King is a conservative! Among other things he's super anti Muslim, like Trump.
   457. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:00 PM (#5659399)
I don't agree with prison time but it's disingenuous to imply he was convicted for (just) flipping the bird to a camera:

I don't disagree that it should not be up to the state to decide which hospital I take my child to, but it's disingenuous to imply he is being denied desperately needed medical care:

The judge rejected claims that Alfie's health had improved and he was breathing on his own and said: "The sad truth is that it is not."

"With little, indeed no hesitation, I reject that. The brain cannot regenerate itself and there is virtually nothing of his brain left."

He said Alfie's brain had been eroded and that it had been "damaged entirely and so too had the capacity of sight, hearing, taste and sense of touch".

Sadly, it seems there's nothing more to be done except make him comfortable in his last days.
   458. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:01 PM (#5659400)
Along with most local Jewish leaders, I gave Trayon White a wait-and-see when he first apologized and planned a visit to the Holocaust Museum, but that was then. I can now only hope that his voters will replace him the next time around, but like those 63,000,000 Trump voters who gave Trump's racism and misogyny a pass, those 26,000 Ward 8 voters who voted for him last time are in sore need of some moral recalculation.
OMG, you are now incapable of posting *any* comment about another individual's failings without mentioning Trump -- and usually in the very same sentence. LMFAO.
   459. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5659402)
All this disingenuous stuff really shakes my previously unshakable faith in some posters.
   460. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:08 PM (#5659404)
Tweet:
It probably hurts the argument that universal health care is the most compassionate option when the NHS keeps executing kids in front of their parents.
   461. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:11 PM (#5659406)
Until Bill Frist weighs in with his video diagnosis, I will withhold judgment.
   462. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:12 PM (#5659408)
Here's evidence that the Michael Cohen investigation is NOT Russia-related...

Sessions Declines to Recuse Himself From Probe Into Trump Lawyer:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions has decided against recusing himself from the investigation into President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, but will consider stepping back from specific questions tied to the probe, according to a person familiar with the matter. ...

By staying involved in the Cohen probe, Sessions is entitled to briefings on the status of the investigation, which is being conducted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of New York. That could put Sessions in the position of being asked by Trump, who strongly condemned the FBI’s raid on his longtime lawyer, to divulge information about the Cohen investigation.

Sessions could also weigh in on specific decisions by prosecutors, including whether to pursue subpoenas and indictments.

The attorney general is expected to be asked about his role in the Cohen investigation when he testifies before congressional panels on Wednesday and Thursday, as Democrats argue he should recuse himself and Republicans contend he shouldn’t.

The Justice Department declined to comment specifically about decisions on recusal in the Cohen investigation, saying only that Sessions follows appropriate procedures.
   463. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:17 PM (#5659409)
Dancing Monkeys always smell of desperation.
   464. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:19 PM (#5659411)

Has anyone suggested it was?
   465. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:21 PM (#5659412)
   466. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:26 PM (#5659415)
Have we already forgotten about the Fusion GPS McClatchy piece claiming to have sources suggesting that Cohen DID visit Prague???
   467. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:28 PM (#5659417)

Yes - but it was one the Trumpkins (SBB, I believe? He's usually a safe guess for such questions).

It usually takes them time to iron out the details of the conspiracy.

That's the inherent problem with ala carte, cloud-like conspiracy theories rather than the tried and true redundant loops of all evidence becoming evidence of the conspiracy.

They'd all get on the same page more easily if Sessions recusal refusal was just more evidence of the Deep State running amok.... something like the leak proves that someone is just CYA the witch hunt about how Hillary conspired with Russians to lose the election by hacking her own server to give Trump's check to orphans to the Pakistanis.
   468. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:30 PM (#5659419)
Have we already forgotten about Fusion GPS the McClatchy piece claiming to have sources suggesting that Cohen WAS in Prague???

Well, I have. Or more accurately, I have no idea what that means.
   469. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:31 PM (#5659421)

Close, zonkie: One-off articles on the web site don't impress.

"Other than the Washington Post, the Miami Herald, CBS, BuzzFeed, the New York Times, Politico, CNN, Fox, AP, the Sun-Sentinel and some place in Pakistan called "Dawn," what have the Romans ever done for us?"

An article here, an article there, scattered to the unreliable winds of Google? If the media were really serious about covering the story the way it's covered inside my head, they'd have put up a legitimate, concerted effort to keep the story alive, like https://lyincomey.com/.
   470. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:37 PM (#5659427)
Well, I have. Or more accurately, I have no idea what that means.

Misirlou, click here for the link to the McClatchy story and Wittes' subsequent commentary.

EDIT: It's possible that Sugar Baby or Ray made such a comment, zonkie, but lefties on Twitter were positively salivating over the possibility that the McClatchy piece would be corroborated. Maybe no one posted it at OTP?
   471. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:37 PM (#5659428)
I thought the fact that Mueller handed it off to the USAO-SDNY already conclusively established that.
   472. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:43 PM (#5659431)
I thought the fact that Mueller handed it off to the USAO-SDNY already conclusively established that.
Agreed, but the McClatchy piece referenced above was filed afterward.
   473. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5659434)
Rut-row, if true...

Comey taps former US attorney as personal lawyer: report

Good for Comey. He's gonna need all the help he can get.

And now you know why Trump pardoned Scooter earlier this month...
   474. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:52 PM (#5659436)

Agreed, but the McClatchy piece referenced above was filed afterward.

I wasn't aware different DOJ departments/divisions and special counsels created a weird kind of double jeopardy where evidence obtained via one investigation, then referred to another division for investigation, can then no longer have any applicability to the referring investigation, but I don't claim to be a lawyer.

I'm still wrapping my head around the idea that an Attorney General who has spent nearly a year being berated, gelded, demeaned, and otherwise smacked around over his recusal in a first investigation means anything other than even a slow learner can eventually learn.
   475. Count Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5659439)
JE why are you salivating over the prospect of Comey hiring a lawyer? Do you think his memos weren't accurate or are you THIS upset about his inappropriate actions that hurt Hillary during the campaign?
   476. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5659440)
And now you know why Trump pardoned Scooter earlier this month...

Yes.

This means all sorts of good things.

You must be proud.
   477. Count Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:57 PM (#5659441)
Also you think Libby's pardon wss related to Comey hiring his former prosecutor as a lawyer? If true wouldn't that be a gross abuse of the pardon power?
   478. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 24, 2018 at 06:58 PM (#5659442)
Rut-row, if true...

If this post were linked to for something Jason didn't want desperately to be true, he'd #### himself over the lack of any named sources.
   479. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:00 PM (#5659445)
I'm still wrapping my head around the idea that an Attorney General who has spent nearly a year being berated, gelded, demeaned, and otherwise smacked around over his recusal in a first investigation means anything other than even a slow learner can eventually learn.
#HePersisted

All snark aside, you're viewing this the wrong way. Sessions has never been viewed more sympathetically than he is today. And yet, he's quietly gone about his business. And while he has some backward policy views, most notably civil asset forfeiture and narcotics, he's known as a straight shooter.
   480. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:02 PM (#5659446)
If this post were linked to for something Jason didn't want desperately to be true, he'd #### himself over the lack of any named sources.

Oh, I don't doubt it's true. Fitzgerald is godfather to Comey's kid and they've supposedly always been close.

What Jason doesn't realize is that, since entering private practice, Fitzgerald has mainly specializing in civil litigation - in particular, in matters of cybersecurity/privacy.
   481. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:03 PM (#5659448)
Also you think Libby's pardon wss related to Comey hiring his former prosecutor as a lawyer?
I'm pretty confident Trump did it as a giant f-u to Comey and his buddy Fitzgerald.
If true wouldn't that be a gross abuse of the pardon power?
Is there really such a thing?
   482. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:03 PM (#5659449)
All snark aside, you're viewing this the wrong way. Sessions has never been viewed more sympathetically than he is today. And yet, he's quietly went about his business. And while he has some backward policy views, most notably civil asset forfeiture and narcotics, he's known as a straight shooter.

Trumpkins vouches for gelded Trumpkin cabinet member.

Film at 11.
   483. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:04 PM (#5659451)
What Jason doesn't realize is that, since entering private practice, Fitzgerald has mainly specializing in civil litigation - in particular, in matters of cybersecurity/privacy.
??? I've never questioned Fitzgerald's ability, although what he did to Libby was disgraceful.
   484. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:07 PM (#5659452)
Trumpkins vouches for gelded Trumpkin cabinet member.

Film at 11.
This "gelded" Trumpkin cabinet member quietly hired Huber last November, has worked closely with Rosenstein, didn't leak out ####, and will soon nail some high-ranking pelts to the ####### wall.
   485. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:09 PM (#5659457)
I'm pretty confident Trump did it as a giant f-u to Comey and his buddy Fitzgerald.

If he did someone whispered in his ear because the Ignoramus in Chief had no idea who Libby was.
   486. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:10 PM (#5659461)
This "gelded" Trumpkin cabinet member quietly hired Huber last November, has worked closely with Rosenstein, didn't leak out ####, and will soon nail some high-ranking pelts to the ####### wall.

Maybe he and Mueller can have a pelt race.

The current score is 18-0 on indictments, 3-0 on guilty pleas/convictions.
   487. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:11 PM (#5659462)
Do you think his memos weren't accurate or are you THIS upset about his inappropriate actions that hurt Hillary during the campaign?
As I've said repeatedly, Comey was and is out for Comey. He's the Toby Esterhase of the 2016 election and aftermath.

EDIT: I've now read the Comey memos twice. They illustrate Trump being his usual clown self, but wanting all collusion charges checked out and he certainly wasn't obstructing justice.
   488. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:12 PM (#5659465)
When Mueller finally releases the results of the investigation the Dancing Monkeys will be gnawing on their paws for days.
   489. Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:13 PM (#5659469)
We'll see.
   490. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:17 PM (#5659471)

We'll see.

Before we start - well, Mueller has already started - is this just a raw count or is it points based?

I.e., is a former National Security Adviser worth 5 FBI field agents? What's a former campaign manager worth?

I'd be willing to say that a former FBI Director is worth a dozen Russian nationals.

491. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:21 PM (#5659472)
If he did someone whispered in his ear because the Ignoramus in Chief had no idea who Libby was.

Hannity.
   492. -- Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:27 PM (#5659477)

He never should have recused himself in the first place. There was no reason to. Indeed, no credence or quarter whatever should have been given to the beclowning notion that there was anything remotely wrong with sitting at a big dinner table with a Russian official.

To which the retort will be, "Well, but his testimony about it to Congress was at issue," but that doesn't remotely disqualifying him from overseeing the collusion investigation in the ordinary course. No quarter or credence whatever should have been given to the fatuous notion that being forgetful to Congress about having dinner at the same table as a Russian meant you were or could have been "colluding."
   493. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:42 PM (#5659485)
The news is reporting that the van driver was basically a 4chan, gamergate lady hater. Landlady just told me that he apparently was targeting women, but I didn't hear anything specific to that turning on the news but they did talk about some of his apparent social media stuff where he seems to have been one of those types.
   494. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 24, 2018 at 07:43 PM (#5659487)

OMG, you are now incapable of posting *any* comment about another individual's failings without mentioning Trump -- and usually in the very same sentence. LMFAO.

Well, you'll note that it took exactly one prompt from you for me to make a moral judgment about Trayon White. It wasn't really that hard!

And so far that's one more moral judgment that you've managed to make about our current Racist-in-Chief. I wonder why.
   495. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: April 24, 2018 at 08:02 PM (#5659495)
no credence or quarter

Oh, God...it begins...
   496. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 24, 2018 at 08:16 PM (#5659498)

creator of schoolhouse Rock no longer with us.

"The man who taught thousands of kids -- and adults -- about grammar and math through song has died.

Bob Dorough, the creator of 'Schoolhouse Rock' passed away at age 94.

His granddaughter Corin Wolf didn't disclose his exact cause of death but told CNN that Dorough was diagnosed with cancer last year.

From "Conjunction, Junction," to "I'm Just a Bill," Dorough's upbeat tunes helped educate thousands of viewers about simple math functions, rules of grammar and the legislative process.

The game was tied at seven all, uh-huh-huh,
When Franklin found he had the ba-hall.
He made a connection
In the other direction,
And the crowd started shouting out interjections...

Aw! You threw the wrong way!
Darn! You just lost the game!
Hurray! I'm for the other team!

Interjections (Aw!) show excitement (Darn!) or emotion (Hurray!).
They're generally set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point,
Or by a comma when the feeling's not as strong.
   497. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 24, 2018 at 08:49 PM (#5659525)
The news is reporting that the van driver was basically a 4chan, gamergate lady hater.

Has anyone seen Zym lately?
   498. McCoy Posted: April 24, 2018 at 08:53 PM (#5659527)
Got a DNC survey request in the mail today which of course also asked me for a donation as well. They want to know among other things what the DNC should focus on. They ask the question several different ways but the gist of it appears that the DNC thinks their voters are focused on immigration, women's rights issues, ACA, middle class taxes, and to some extent affordable college costs. The last one appears to be a sop to the Bernie-bros of the wing as most of the questions focused around the first 4 questions. The environment also showed up to a small degree as well.
   499. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: April 24, 2018 at 09:02 PM (#5659537)
Got a DNC survey request in the mail today which of course also asked me for a donation as well. They want to know among other things what the DNC should focus on. They ask the question several different ways but the gist of it appears that the DNC thinks their voters are focused on immigration, women's rights issues, ACA, middle class taxes, and to some extent affordable college costs. The last one appears to be a sop to the Bernie-bros of the wing as most of the questions focused around the first 4 questions. The environment also showed up to a small degree as well.

They think or they're trying to find out?

If it were me, sitting here in April, I'd be testing messages and issues, then mapping them to contributions received based on the results, and then using that data to determine which issues - and then framing of those issues - most resonant with enthusiastic supporters.

Polls are polls, but you start matching up results to contributions - you find out which items (and messages around those items) will both net you more money this summer and early fall and likewise find out which issues keep your enthusiastic supporters most engaged.
   500. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 24, 2018 at 09:03 PM (#5659540)
Flip.
Page 5 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.