Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 02, 2018

OTP 2018 Apr 2: This Opening Day, keep baseball pure—and keep the politics out of it

In a year when American culture seems to be dissolving before our very eyes in the shadow of a political discourse that often seems as turbid as it is abhorrent, there’s always baseball.

I grew up the daughter of a man who loved baseball; over the years my Mom learned to enjoy it just as much. My dad played it, listened to it, watched it, collected cards of players he admired. I can’t even pinpoint my first baseball experience, such is the way the entirety of the game enveloped around and melded into my childhood memories.

I grew up in Minnesota and thus cheered ardently for the Twins. I don’t hear about them much anymore; they haven’t had too many consecutive stellar seasons as of late, but they won the World Series twice when I was a kid—1987 and 1991—and we watched home games at the Metrodome (a huge dome with a cover that was not retractable because, hello, Minnesota). Before my brother was born, the three of us went to games—my Dad reminded me we could buy tickets in left field for $5 and we’d bring in our own bags of peanuts (in the shells of course!) and peanut M & M’s.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 02, 2018 at 07:57 AM | 1715 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: good old days, opening day, politics, twins

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 18 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 16 17 18
   1701. BrianBrianson Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:49 AM (#5650661)
Among the takeaways from 1688 is why people think Mueller's not leaking anything - the guy flipped on Manafort a year ago, and we only found out yesterday. We find out everything from Trump-camp people who get interviewed that day or the next.
   1702. Morty Causa Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:50 AM (#5650662)
You can't be against abortion and be against helping the poor. Well, you shouldn't be. It's contradictory.

Curb that partisan doctrinaireness. If one thinks a fetus is a human being, a person, then one can be against killing it, just as some are against the death penalty. That doesn't mean one feels an obligation to support or "help" it other than that. I don't think I have a right to shoot my neighbor for just any reason. That doesn't obligate me to feed and clothe him, does it?

Of course, this all belies the fact that the poor have never in history had it so good as it does in America and the advanced Western democracies.
   1703. McCoy Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:58 AM (#5650664)
So a poor mother can suffer a miscarriage because of a lack of food and medical help but by God should better not realize that ahead of time and abort the baby?
   1704. Lassus Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:01 AM (#5650666)
Of course, the number of people who are against helping the poor is vanishingly small. The debate is over how to help them -- at gunpoint through the government, or voluntarily. By transferring wealth or by increasing opportunity. By tearing down the rich or by building up the poor. Etc.

This must be the reality in which Donald Trump was made to actually put sprinklers in the Trump Tower and that dude's still alive, because it ain't this one.
   1705. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:18 AM (#5650668)
1704 is an Andyesqe non sequitur.
   1706. Morty Causa Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:19 AM (#5650670)
What did that movie on Nixon say? That JFK represented our loftiest Camelotian ideals, but Nixon was how we really are. Which is why we all secretly loathed him to some degree or other. Well, Trump is how we would really be had we courage equal to desire--although we con ourselves into thinking that given carte blanche we'd be nicer and kinder. It's frightening to see what Trump tells us: it's all about us, it's always always about us and only us.
   1707. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:19 AM (#5650671)
Of course, the number of people who are against helping the poor is vanishingly small. The debate is over how to help them -- at gunpoint through the government, or voluntarily.

Why not let The Poors put you and gunpoint and see what you offer them voluntarily?
   1708. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5650674)
It's frightening to see what Trump tells us: it's all about us, it's always always about us and only us.

Speak for yourself.
   1709. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:26 AM (#5650675)
It's frightening to see what Trump tells us: it's all about us, it's always always about us and only us stupid people are always prone to con men.

Don't overthink it.
   1710. Lassus Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:27 AM (#5650676)
1704 is an Andyesqe non sequitur.

I quoted your post and found it wholly unrealistic. The offhanded example I used to highlight that was not an argument against your goofy view on peoples' reactions to poverty, and the assertion that you live in a fantasy world on various topics was not a non sequitur.

Also, it was a lot shorter.
   1711. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:38 AM (#5650677)
I quoted your post and found it wholly unrealistic. The offhanded example I used to highlight that was not an argument against your goofy view on peoples' reactions to poverty, and the assertion that you live in a fantasy world on various topics was not a non sequitur.

Yeah, I am one of the more optimistic people here, I think the world is pretty great and getting better and that most people are well meaning, and I found David's post laughably naive, to the point I decided to mostly ignore it.

A closer version to reality is the number of people who are against helping the poor with other people's money is vanishingly small. Many are willing to use their own money (charity), many are willing to use everyone's money (taxes), and nearly everyone is willing to use other people's money.
   1712. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:41 AM (#5650680)
By the way the new thread is up and running, so take your posts over there. Thanks.
   1713. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:46 AM (#5650683)
Trump cancelling a scheduled trip to a South American summit... to monitor the situation in "Syria".

Syria, of course, being an acronym for So Your Ruse Is Annihilated.
   1714. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5650692)
Curb that partisan doctrinaireness. If one thinks a fetus is a human being, a person, then one can be against killing it, just as some are against the death penalty. That doesn't mean one feels an obligation to support or "help" it other than that.

If one demands that a fetus "person" be born, only so it can starve to death and die more slowly than it would have if it had been aborted clinically, that person is far worse than anyone supporting the clinical abortion.
   1715. Morty Causa Posted: April 10, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5650721)
Only a being allowed to live could say that.
Page 18 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 16 17 18

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim
for his generous support.