Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 09, 2018

OTP 2018 Apr 9: A Curveball From the New Tax Law: It Makes Baseball Trades Harder

As President Trump congratulated the World Series champion Houston Astros at a White House ceremony last week, he also heaped praise on himself and congressional Republicans for passing a sweeping tax cut last year. He hailed Representative Kevin Brady of Texas, the House’s chief tax writer and an Astros superfan, as “the king of those tax cuts.”

What he did not mention is that the new tax law Mr. Brady helped draft, and which Mr. Trump signed, levies a large new tax on the Astros, and similar franchises across professional sports.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 09, 2018 at 12:46 PM | 1677 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: houston astros, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 17 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. Morty Causa Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5650829)
Or, for those in remedial class, Peter Finch in Network.
   102. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5650830)
President Trump is on the verge of winning three simultaneous impossible-to-win wars: ISIS, North Korea, and trade with China. . . while the economy is booming.

"Winning" is a stretch, as is "impossible-to-win," but all three are indeed going very well right now, under any honest accounting.
   103. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5650831)
That's certainly true; it's just that so few Presidents have been effective in those last two years.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!!" was in the last two years of Reagan and it's hard to be much more effective than that. You won't find many better rhetorical distillations of Americanism than that -- and it worked.
   104. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:18 PM (#5650833)
Serious question, Sam: Do you think that removing a president who commands the support of 80% to 90% of his party is going to accomplish anything in the long run?

I think that removing an incompetent buffoon who's only "saving grace" is that he's been too incompetent to actually carry off his authoritarian and fascist instincts, despite having a clearly pliant party who would give him the same leeway the AKP gave Erdogan in Turkey at half a chance, is a fundamental good in and of itself. Mike Pence is a religious nutjob fcvktard cnvtswipe, but he's not in an of himself a danger to the Republic itself. Trump is. Trump must be removed from power. By any means necessary. The damage he does merely by existing in the Oval Office is going to take decades to repair, to the point where the entire edifice of the post-War West is teetering in his fat, orange, broken-condom-gone-wrong wake. And this merely at the expense of him undermining the City on the Hill *incompetently.*

He must be removed. He must be made an example of. Because if he is not, someone like him at core, but without the chaos-ridden fcvktarded ADHD and dementia addled "brain", will follow his example and the idea of democratic liberalism in the world will be well and truly ######.
   105. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5650834)
What is wrong with this guy?

You don't maintain Ray's vacuum seal on your member by saying things that make sense.
   106. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5650835)

@jonkarl - ABC News has learned that Geoffrey Berman, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, is recused from the Michael Cohen investigation. He had no role in raid of Cohen's office. Another recusal that will make @realDonaldTrump unhappy.
Something that I hadn't realized until today is that Trump never actually nominated Berman. Berman was named only as the interim U.S. attorney, but he hasn't been nominated/confirmed by the Senate. And in fact his interim term is up in a few weeks.
   107. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5650836)
So it actually isn't true that the warrant was sought by a "Trump-appointed US Attorney."

OK, then.

Again, I'm going to pretty much hold fire under the theory that it's Cohen himself in the cross-hairs, as reported in the papers, and that that explains the significant departure from codified best practices here. But suspicions are very much in order.
   108. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:22 PM (#5650837)
We in this country never get around to letting those elected to govern actually govern.

Trump voters didn't elect Trump to "govern." They elected him to set fire to things and #### over pigmented people.
   109. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5650839)
"Winning" is a stretch, as is "impossible-to-win," but all three are indeed going very well right now, under any honest accounting.

We already lost the next round of "trade wars" with China when Trump stupidly pulled out of the TPP. As for NK Trump offered the extraordinary chit of a face to face with Kim and has yet to get a single concession on NK's part, and in fact Kim is now cozying up to China as the meeting with Trump remains vaguely sometime in the future.

The only "winning" going on is Trump's ridiculous sound and fury that signifies nothing. This is his leadership style.

Trump voters didn't elect Trump to "govern." They elected him to set fire to things and #### over pigmented people.

Exactly.

So it actually isn't true that the warrant was sought by a "Trump-appointed US Attorney."

OK, then.

yea, the judge recused himself. what a #####. "so called" judge anyways.
   110. BDC Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5650840)
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!!" was in the last two years of Reagan and it's hard to be much more effective than that. You won't find many better rhetorical distillations of Americanism than that -- and it worked

Ah, you subscribe to the "all it took was the right catchphrase" theory of history :)
   111. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5650841)
other candidates or possible candidates seem and will seem boring.

Boring? Maybe you need to join Ray in watching cartoons.
   112. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5650842)
Assumes without any proof that removing a legitimately elected President causes no damage

No election that results in a person such as Donald Trump becoming "president" is legitimate. It's the result of allowing mentally disabled people to vote. Sure, the special ed kids want to eat pizza at every meal, but adults have to tell them no.
   113. Lassus Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:27 PM (#5650843)
You really need an explanation as to how a comparison between Andy and an aging guy screaming out the things the voices in his head are telling him, to no one in particular, makes sense?

This does not sound like Rose McGowan.

114. Morty Causa Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:27 PM (#5650844)

Maybe. Is there a cartoon show of Hawaii-5-0 or Fraiser?

I was attempting to assess how voters might see it, not how I want it to be.
   115. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:28 PM (#5650845)

Truth.
   116. Srul Itza Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:28 PM (#5650846)
See the countless unfilled positions at State.

For the Republicans, that's a feature, not a bug. Tillerson hollowed out the place with the blessings of Trump and the party.

117. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5650847)
For the Republicans, that's a feature, not a bug. Tillerson hollowed out the place with the blessings of Trump and the party.

It's a feature of this particular GOP regime but it certainly wouldn't have been one under Kasich or Jeb. Another reason I'd prefer Pence.
   118. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:31 PM (#5650848)

Routinely going rhetorically overboard with single-minded accusations and verbiage, regardless of what kernels of truth lie beneath, sounds very much like Andy. I could see Rose McGowan insisting someone didn't read a book, too. I couldn't see King Lear doing that though.
   119. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:31 PM (#5650849)

Yep. The purpose of Trump's lack of appointments is identical to the purpose of his appointments. To UNDERMINE THE DEPARTMENTS THEMSELVES. The only departments Trump and his GOP want funded and organized are military-police staffed with people willing to treat Trump's diktats as final law above all else. His war with the FBI is explicitly against anyone in the policing apparatus who still holds the law itself above the will of the man-child idiot "in chief."
   120. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5650850)

We in this country never get around to letting those elected to govern actually govern. It's all always about figuring out ways to obstruct and frustrate. And I'm not talking just about the clown now in presidential office. Are other modern western democracies like this?

The US is also a country where the executive branch has massive power, both domestically and internationally, relative to many other Western democracies. In the U.S., a party can narrowly win the electoral college while losing the popular vote, and still interpret that as a mandate for a sweeping agenda that can change the course of world history. I'm sure every country's politics seem really important to them, but the stakes do seem higher here.
   121. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5650851)
Routinely going rhetorically overboard with single-minded accusations and verbiage, regardless of what kernels of truth lie beneath, sounds very much like

Trump.
   122. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:33 PM (#5650852)
Routinely going rhetorically overboard with single-minded accusations and verbiage, regardless of what kernels of truth lie beneath, sounds very much like

Trump.

OK, great. Then, as amended, Andy's a combination of Rose McGowan, King Lear, and Donald Trump.
   123. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5650853)
No election that results in a person such as Donald Trump becoming "president" is legitimate. It's the result of allowing mentally disabled people to vote. Sure, the special ed kids want to eat pizza at every meal, but adults have to tell them no.

I usually enjoy Rickey's bit, but no ... just no. The 2016 election was - of course - legitimate. The process was legit (so far as we can tell so far) and thus the outcome, loathsome as I found it, is legit.

And that is before I suggest you rethink your bizarre association with metal disabilities, special education, and voting for Trump (an analogy which is offensive).
   124. Greg K Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5650854)

The US is also a country where the executive branch has massive power, both domestically and internationally, relative to many other Western democracies. In the U.S., a party can narrowly win the electoral college while losing the popular vote, and still interpret that as a mandate for a sweeping agenda that can change the course of world history. I'm sure every country's politics seem really important to them, but the stakes do seem higher here.

I actually think the US executive has comparatively less power domestically than many Western democracies. For instance, there's effectively no legislative check on a majority government in Canada.

Internationally, yeah...US elections have an influence no other democracy can come close to matching.
   125. Greg K Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5650855)
As a further note, no Canadian government in my lifetime has received more than 50% of the vote. In fact, topping 40% would be a landslide victory that's only happened a couple times in the past thirty years.
   126. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:43 PM (#5650856)
This is a publication Jason frequently links to.

We are a nation hopelessly divided. We are more divided now than we have ever been in our history. And before you start screaming at me about the Civil War, keep in mind that bloody conflict was fought over one major issue. In those days, take ten families from New York and ten families from Alabama, put them all in a room, and you’d find they mostly had the same values (and bad accents).

Now, fast-forward to today and do that same thing. Those families have virtually nothing in common. We as a nation have polarized and separated from each other.

Anyone who thinks this is a radical idea has an extremely narrow view of history. If you don’t believe me, go try to book a plane ticket to Czechoslovakia, or look at a map of Europe from the year 1600, then look at one today. See any differences? Borders move. Countries split and change hands. They do this for a myriad of reasons. Ours would be a major cultural shift toward the left and half the country refusing to go along with tyranny.

I have been championing this idea for a while, and it appears others are catching on. Just last week, a group of lawmakers in South Carolina introduced a bill that would allow the state to secede if the federal government starts seizing guns.

Why would those lawmakers even be worried about such a thing? Because Democrats are saying it—and not just some hippie chick with armpit hair at a vegan rally. When a former justice of the Supreme Court of the United States calls for a repeal of the Second Amendment, we should take the Left seriously.

The GOP has many problems, but the Democratic Party has turned into something completely un-American. The United States was founded on two things: Judeo-Christian values and a limited federal government. The entire platform of modern Democrats stands completely opposite both of those.
   127. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5650858)

Okay, so I've found a worse tweet than anything Trump has ever posted. (I think. Also, Trump will probably take this as a challenge.) David Horowitz is defending lynching.
   128. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5650859)
Now, fast-forward to today and do that same thing. Those families have virtually nothing in common. We as a nation have polarized and separated from each other.

The only thing preventing secession and splitting-up is the fact that the two sides are not broken up by geography as they were in 1860. If they were, the country would split up.

I have been championing this idea for a while, and it appears others are catching on. Just last week, a group of lawmakers in South Carolina introduced a bill that would allow the state to secede if the federal government starts seizing guns.

Why would those lawmakers even be worried about such a thing? Because Democrats are saying it—and not just some hippie chick with armpit hair at a vegan rally. When a former justice of the Supreme Court of the United States calls for a repeal of the Second Amendment, we should take the Left seriously.

The GOP has many problems, but the Democratic Party has turned into something completely un-American. The United States was founded on two things: Judeo-Christian values and a limited federal government. The entire platform of modern Democrats stands completely opposite both of those.

This is utterly deranged.
   129. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5650860)
And that is before I suggest you rethink your bizarre association with metal disabilities, special education, and voting for Trump (an analogy which is offensive).

This reminds me of the old ad campaign: "You don't have to be Jewish to enjoy Levy's rye bread...but it helps."

Not all mentally ill people voted for Trump, but a lot of them did, I am convinced. By anecdotal evidence. I'll offer my SIL's FB feed as evidence. She's diagnosed bipolar w/psychosis. Her rants about Trump, Hillary, Obama, etc. mirror rants you see every day all over the web.
   130. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5650861)
Middle-Age Death Rates Have Skyrocketed in Some States

You will NEVER guess which states. Seriously there is no way you could possible figure out which states have a rising death rate.

Oh, you guessed Trump states? I was wrong.

Via Eric Topol, here’s an interesting chart from a new report in JAMA. It shows how the probability of death during middle-age has changed from 1990-2016 in all 50 states. In the country as a whole, there’s been a 1.7 percentage point decrease in the probability of death from various causes and a 0.7 point increase, for a net change of -1.0 percent.

Southern states tend to have the highest probability of death and the biggest increase since 1990. In Mississippi, for example, you have an 11 percent chance of dying between ages 20-55, and that’s gone up 0.2 points since 1990. Kentucky has gone up by 1.2 points, Oklahoma by 1.6 points, and West Virginia by 2.2 points.

And a special shout out to Minnesota!
   131. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5650862)
126 links to The Federalist, in case you don't want to give them any clicks.
   132. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5650863)
You're confusing his sub-majority support in the primaries with his actual support among Republicans today.

No, I'm not. I'm talking about the nature of his support today, not the level of it. The support today is tribal. He's got it because he's the de facto head of the GOP, not on his own merits.

But his merits [strains to avoid scare quotes] at this point are that he's the most articulate** exponent of the gut feelings that drive that GOP tribe. What do you think "fear of being primaried" refers to, and why do you think that GOP incumbents are taking these threats most seriously?

One further point: To the extent that Democrats' prospect look brighter this November than they have in years, it's largely due to the huge increase in enthusiasm directed towards their candidates by two groups: Millennials and suburban women. But while the Millennials seem to loathe just about everything that today's GOP stands for, those now-Democratic-leaning suburban women are to a great extent motivated a visceral hatred of Trump the racist/misogynist, not a hatred of the GOP as a whole. Remove Trump from the scene, and at least some of that enthusiasm wanes. Good for the GOP agenda, not so good for the Dems, and in the long run not good for the country if you loathe that GOP agenda.

If you make it a choice between Trump and Pelosi (or Schumer, or Clinton, or whomever) then most Republicans will choose him. If and when that's not the choice -- if and when one can be anti-Trump without being pro-Democrat -- then Trump's support will largely fade away.

As BDC notes, just how are those anti-Trump but not pro-Democrat candidates going to make in through the primaries buzzsaw? You're putting the cart before the horse.

** I'm only being partially sarcastic here, since most of Trump's screeds are scarcely less coherent than the ones you hear from his dittoheads on Fox and Breitbart, not to mention from the likes of Alex Jones and the alt-right.*** We're not exactly talking about a party of Lincolns.

*** To the extent that they can actually be distinguished from one another, given all the overlap.
   133. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5650864)
126 links to The Federalist, in case you don't want to give them any clicks.

because of how frequently JE linked Sean Davis' twitter (Federalist co-founder), now when I start typing "twi..." in my browser's URL bar Sean Davis' account comes up.

134. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5650867)
Not all mentally ill people voted for Trump, but a lot of them did, I am convinced.

The umbrella, it is way way too large.

Mental disabilities <> Special Education <> Mentally Ill <> Trump voter

All four are different things. I imagine some forms of mental illness had a larger percentage voting for Trump, but I suspect some forms had a larger percentage voting for Clinton (especially using past decades definitions of mental illness, like homosexuality).

For example depression is not even vaguely the same as being ADHD, bipolar, learning disabled, dyslexic, on the autism spectrum, or .... It is a ridiculous grouping that obscures more than it reveals.

People did not primarily vote for Trump because of any sort of mental illness or disability. They did so for a variety of reasons including tribalism, emotionalism, stupidity and so on.
   135. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5650869)
Give credit where due. If we DID take #######'s advice from 126, at least targeting would be simpler.
   136. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5650872)
I usually enjoy Rickey's bit, but...

...today you're a precious butterfly. Whatever, inchworm.

The 2016 election was - of course...

...the event by which a plurality of ####### idiots leveraged an archaic selection mechanism, which explicitly refused to do the one job it was created to do, to install an incompetent proto-fascist into the halls of the highest office of power in the world. #### that. If a "legitimate process" returns "Donald Trump, President," then the process itself is undermined. You want to say "no, the process validates the result." ####. That. The result invalidates the process.

I shall assume your ##### hurts today or something. Whatever.
   137. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:01 PM (#5650874)
Okay, so I've found a worse tweet than anything Trump has ever posted. (I think. Also, Trump will probably take this as a challenge.) David Horowitz is defending lynching.

David Horowitz may be the best living example of how the wacko Left moron can wind up becoming a wacko Right moron with scarcely a pause for breath. Horowitz started his career way to the left of anyone who ever has posted around here, and I haven't forgotten RETARDO.
   138. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:09 PM (#5650878)
Eisenhower and Reagan were in increasingly poor health; Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, and Bush 43 were politically embattled to the point of ineffectiveness in many areas. Obama is an exception (healthy, not under direct political siege)

Forgetting the 2014 midterm election already?
   139. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5650879)

Pope Francis might have something to say about the "Judeo-Christian values" of today's Republican party. But whaddya expect from a Latino Commie?
   140. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5650880)
...today you're a precious butterfly. Whatever, inchworm.

Yeah wacky old delicate me, wanting to argue for Democratic traditions and not just overthrowing President because. Yeah, you are right, it is totally me.

Honestly Rickey you have been hyperventilating over Trump for way too long. Take a breath, the world has not ended. He is a terrible President, but he wasn't the first and he won't be the last.
   141. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5650882)
He is a terrible President, but he wasn't the first and he won't be the last.

I take it you don't watch "The President Show".
   142. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:13 PM (#5650884)
Pope Francis might have something to say about the "Judeo-Christian values" of today's Republican party.

When right wingers talk about "Judeo-Christian values" they're talking about the reactionary politics of the American South, which overran the early hyper-liberalism of evangelicalism in support of racism and Jim Crow.
   143. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5650886)
Honestly Rickey you have been hyperventilating over Trump for way too long.

Does Donald Trump still hold the nuclear codes? Am I still asked to accept Donald Trump as a "legitimate" "representative" of my will.

#### that. And if you say as much, #### you.
   144. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5650889)
He is a terrible President, but he wasn't the first and he won't be the last.

I oppose normalizing Trump by including him on any scale - if it's done by enlarging the scale. He is and should remain outside of any such normalization.
   145. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5650890)
The "Mrs. Betty Bowers" character, Twitter:
Dear @realDonaldTrump: Can't recognize when someone is breaking-in?

When an old pervert opens a beauty pageant dressing room door without knocking, in hopes of seeing naked underage girls? That's breaking-in.

When a judge issues a subpoena? That’s NOT breaking-in.

Get it now?
   146. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5650891)
David N replying, #967 of previous thread:
The original move towards the alt-right was when moderate, conservative Republicans like Romney and hell, even Dubya, got called "RHINOS" by the batshit crazy fundies, racists and libertarian wing of the party.

First, it's RINOs. (What do you think the extra H would stand for?)

"Hillary," of course.
   147. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5650893)
And now there are 30: Texas GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold resigned immediately on Friday with no loftier political ambitions, joining the previous 29 Republican fleeing rats and scalded dogs honorable representatives who will forever carry the honor of each day they were fortunate enough to serve the people at the helm of state.

One week ago, Connecticut Rep. Elizabeth Esty announced that she would finish out her term and leave, becoming the 10th Democratic House member to do so without grander ambitions.

Less than one hour after Esty’s announcement, Yankee Clapper was on OTP to passive-aggressively tsk-tsk about the “neglected” response from “purported” House seat count watchers, who suspiciously hadn’t appeared on OTP during that fateful sixty minutes to “keep us posted.”

How interesting that our ever-punctual Clapper hasn’t had a peep to say about the already-skedaddled Rep. Blake Farenthold after more than four days. Even as he’s logged onto OTP to post at least 9 or 10 times since, even to discuss midterm election politics.

Hmm. The one-hour anniversary of Farenthold’s dine-and-dash departure came and went last Friday afternoon. Hmm. Right now, it’s the 97th- or 98th-hour anniversary of Farenthold’s farewell, and still no reaction from YC. Hmm. And also hmmm.
   148. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5650895)
I oppose normalizing Trump by including him on any scale - if it's done by enlarging the scale. He is and should remain outside of any such normalization.

I am not even convinced he is worse than W. He is more abnormal as a President than W, but worse for the nation? Well, we shall see.

In any event love him or hate him, his election was still legit. And for me the process is still more important than the outcome (regarding democracy, specifically). If something turns up impeachable (which seems more likely every day I must admit) I will change my tune, but until then, nope.
   149. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5650896)
Lassus, #1467 of previous thread:
I find it amazing that [Tom] Lehrer is still alive. He seems of an era so far removed it's like another planet or reality.

I’m not sure that comedians really live any longer than normal people, but there have certainly been a slew of examples, including many comedians who continued to comede into their dotage.

Still-living, still-working contemporaries of Lehrer’s pre-1965 prime period include Bob Newhart, Elaine May, Woody Allen, Jackie Mason, Bill Cosby (*would be working), Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Jerry Stiller, Shecky Greene and others. The list grows longer still if you include TV writers, musicians (like Ray Stevens), MAD contributors, etc. Perhaps the best analogue is Mort Sahl, who was even more topically oriented than Lehrer, had an earlier breakthrough than Lehrer, and who continues to perform onstage (his next show is this coming Thursday, actuarial tables permitting).
   150. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5650899)
Pope Francis might have something to say about the "Judeo-Christian values" of today's Republican party.

When right wingers talk about "Judeo-Christian values" they're talking about the reactionary politics of the American South, which overran the early hyper-liberalism of evangelicalism in support of racism and Jim Crow.

Well, yes, and right down to their Houses of Worship..
   151. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5650900)
In fairness to Clapper, he didn't want to risk his ticket to Farenthold's going away pajama party... I hear those are a blast.
   152. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5650901)
Speaking of the midterms ... Republicans Worried About Quality of Senate Candidates

“Seven months before Election Day, Republicans are worrying about dwindling opportunities as candidates that are some combination of defective, unimpressive and underfunded appear headed toward victory in a handful of GOP primaries.”

A collective ... awwwwww. But yeah I can't believe that Trump and the Modern GOP are doing their darnedest to squander what is arguably the most favorable Senate map in seemingly forever.
   153. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5650904)
And now there are 30: GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold resigned immediately on Friday, with no loftier political ambition, joining the previous 29 Republican fleeing rats and scalded dogs honorable representatives who will forever carry the honor of each day they were fortunate enough to serve the people at the helm of state.

One week ago, Rep. Elizabeth Esty announced that she would finish out her term and leave, becoming the 10th Democratic House member to do so without grander ambitions.

Less than one hour after Esty’s announcement, Yankee Clapper was on OTP to passive-aggressively tsk-tsk about the “neglected” response from “purported” House seat count watchers, who suspiciously hadn’t appeared on OTP during that fateful sixty minutes to “keep us posted.”

How interesting that our ever-punctual Clapper hasn’t had a peep to say about the already-skedaddled Rep. Blake Farenthold after more than four days. Even as he’s logged onto OTP to post at least 9 or 10 times since, even to discuss midterm election politics.

Jesus, how many times do you have to be reminded? THAT'S NOT HIS JOB.
   154. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5650905)
The Trump GOP is having a hard time finding good candidates to run on their line? Gee, wonder why.
   155. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5650908)
Would Pence be any real improvement over Trump? Maybe not in all ways:

Mike Pence Horrified By D.C. Cherry Trees Flagrantly Displaying Reproductive Organs
WASHINGTON—Expressing outrage at the crude, depraved perennials throughout the nation’s capitol, Vice President Mike Pence was reportedly horrified Tuesday by the D.C. cherry trees flagrantly displaying their reproductive organs for all to see. “Oh, no, this is completely disgusting,” said a visibly agitated Pence, who rushed around urging nearby pedestrians to keep their heads bowed so as to avoid catching a glimpse of the exhibitionistic flora. ...
   156. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5650911)
Someone help me out with the legal logic here: Cohen has admitted the Daniels payout was to protect Trump, and we know the mechanism and timing.

What documents were seized, exactly? If Trump didn't know anything about it, then there wouldn't be any documents, would there? Of course, Trump's not under oath when he says he didn't know. Is it credible that Cohen took out a loan to make a six figure payout with (his words) no expectation of being reimbursed?

So that's the first reason Cohen could be in big trouble. Where it could leak onto Trump is if it turns out campaign funds were anywhere near any of this.
   157. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5650912)
Not all mentally ill people voted for Trump, but a lot of them did, I am convinced. By anecdotal evidence. I'll offer my SIL's FB feed as evidence. She's diagnosed bipolar w/psychosis. Her rants about Trump, Hillary, Obama, etc. mirror rants you see every day all over the web.

Back in 2012, Team Blue here thought it was great when caregivers took the mentally challenged to the polls to vote for the Democrats. Wasn't a problem as long as they voted the way they "should". Seems like a bit of a double standard. And, of course, for every bipolar sister-in-law, I'm pretty sure one can find an equally troubled voter favoring the Democrats - why there's one on this very page!
   158. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5650913)
Just one?
   159. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5650918)
Just one?

There are 10, and you won't believe #5!
   160. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5650920)
Hey there's Dancing Monkey #1!!!
   161. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5650930)
Back in 2012, Team Blue here thought it was great when caregivers took the mentally challenged to the polls to vote for the Democrats. Wasn't a problem as long as they voted the way they "should". Seems like a bit of a double standard. And, of course, for every bipolar sister-in-law, I'm pretty sure one can find an equally troubled voter favoring the Democrats - why there's one on this very page!

Some people say the ends justify the means. Other people say no end can be important enough to justify any and all means.

Clapper and the modern GOP have given up caring about either particular in favor of anything goes for whatever.
   162. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5650932)
Hey Clapper, guess what? DONALD TRUMP. You're gonna own that until your last miserable breath, you piece of ####.
   163. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5650934)
Just one?

Good catch; should have said "at least one". Shouldn't have focused on the most deranged here to the exclusion of those merely severely warped. My error.
   164. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5650935)
When right wingers talk about "Judeo-Christian values" they're talking about the reactionary politics of the American South

I imagine this history goes something like this:

1) Establish new country on Judeo-Christian values.
2) Maintain goyim in all major positions of power for 250 years.
3) Kvetch.
   165. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5650936)
metal disabilities

Are these people that think heavy metal peaked with Quiet Riot?
   166. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: April 10, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5650939)
Anyone watching SpiceGirl today? From the running CNN feed...
President Trump said as recently as Thursday that Michael Cohen "is my attorney," but White House press secretary Sarah Sanders on Tuesday could not say whether that's still the case after yesterday's FBI raid.

Sanders referred reporters to Michael Cohen when asked whether Cohen is still Trump's personal attorney.

"I'm not sure," she said.
   167. Lassus Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5650943)
Back in 2012, Team Blue here thought it was great when caregivers took the mentally challenged to the polls to vote for the Democrats.

Did they now? Be curious to see that thread.
   168. BDC Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5650947)
Forgetting the 2014 midterm election already?

No. Obama wasn't very effective in his last two years either. But he was not impeached, or body-slammed by stuff like Iran-Contra or Katrina. Not a high bar to clear, but he was at least politically functional.

Merely not having Congress on your side has happened to a lot of Presidents.
   169. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5650949)
Dear @realDonaldTrump: Can't recognize when someone is breaking-in?

When an old pervert opens a beauty pageant dressing room door without knocking, in hopes of seeing naked underage girls? That's breaking-in.

When a judge issues a subpoena? That’s NOT breaking-in.

Get it now?

It's not a "subpoena," it's a search warrant and yeah, if you break in with a warrant, you're still "breaking in." Executing a warrant without breaking in consists of knocking on the door, saying you have a warrant, and the person at the door opening the door for you.

Yet another dumb ass idiotic Twitter post that makes the lemmings' legs all tingly. Kind of pathetic when you get right down to it.
   170. Traderdave Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5650950)

Are these people that think heavy metal peaked with Quiet Riot?

Can a Slade cover band really be called heavy metal?
   171. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5650951)
Not a high bar to clear, but he was at least politically functional.

So was Reagan -- thus, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!!" To call 1987-88 the product of a politically non-functional executive is silly.
   172. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:09 PM (#5650955)
Can a Slade cover band really be called heavy metal?

If Jethro Tull counts...
   173. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5650957)
Back in 2012, Team Blue here thought it was great when caregivers took the mentally challenged to the polls to vote for the Democrats. Wasn't a problem as long as they voted the way they "should". Seems like a bit of a double standard.

AFAIK, only Rickey has called Trump voters mentally ill. Unless you can find examples of Rickey supporting mentally ill people voting for Obama (or Hillary I guess), there is no double standard. Get your facts straight before casting aspersions.
   174. zenbitz Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5650958)
He can suffer the grind of another year of investigation,

Very likely

face impeachment and possible removal

Very unlikely

and go down as the worst President in history

Undoubtedly. Even if he quits now.
   175. Traderdave Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5650960)
QR's covers are such weak sauce compared to Slade's originals. I still can't believe they ever made a dime.
   176. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5650969)
AFAIK, only Rickey has called Trump voters mentally ill.

Bivens, too (#129), who I actually quoted.
   177. DavidFoss Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5650977)
You guys walked right into that one. Clapper would like nothing more than to increase restrictions on voting.
   178. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5650978)

So who pushed back first? Must have been a Republican, right?
   179. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:35 PM (#5650983)

Absolutely horrific.
   180. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5650988)
“It would be suicide for the president to want to talk about firing Mueller.”

— Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA), quoted by Politico.

Republicans Warn Trump Against Axing Mueller

“Republicans are mounting an urgent defense of special counsel Robert Mueller in the face of President Trump’s latest attacks, with one key senator leading a renewed push to protect him and other GOP lawmakers arguing the special counsel’s report should become public when Mueller finishes his work,” Politico reports.

“The GOP alarm was palpable on Tuesday in the wake of Trump leaving the door open to canning Mueller.”

Most Voters Would Reject Attempt to Fire Mueller

A new Quinnipiac poll finds that American voters say by 69% to 13% that President Trump should not fire special counsel Robert Mueller.

Even Republicans say by 55% to 22% that he shouldn’t move to dismiss Mueller.

Nobody puts baby in a corner! Expect firings to commence soon.
   181. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5650992)
Why SBB is thinking he's making some point with Reagan is a mystery best left to the reader. Here's BDC from #85:
That's certainly true; it's just that so few Presidents have been effective in those last two years. People point to Reagan and the INF treaty with Gorbachev – heck, I point to it, I think it was Reagan's best moment – but it's the rare major success in the 22nd Amendment era
And then SBB leaves out the bold part and brings up Reagan like it's some kind of gotcha:
103. Larvell B Posted: April 10, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5650831)
That's certainly true; it's just that so few Presidents have been effective in those last two years.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!!" was in the last two years of Reagan and it's hard to be much more effective than that.
It's.... odd... to leave out the part of the quote that says the same thing you're saying, then say it yourself as if you're refuting the original post. Seems like it would be easier just to agree. Unless you're some kind of contrarian for the sake of it.
I anxiously await a Pedant Point argument because SBB specified the wall rather than INF...
   182. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5650993)
AFAIK, only Rickey has called Trump voters mentally ill.

I'd break it down something like:

32% - pure #######
24% - mentally ill
22% - GOP cucks like yourself, now wholly owned subsidiaries of TrumpCo.
21% - Russian bots
   183. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5650995)
21% - Russian bots

Heh. I am pretty sure 21% of Trump voters were not actually Russian bots. Admittedly, I am not sure a Turing test would work in this case, but still.
   184. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5650996)
There's plenty of valid reason to fire Mueller. If he did, Trump would not even be impeached, nor would an impeachment be valid as there would be no "high crime or misdemeanor" involved.

Trump oversees DOJ and the FBI. It's entirely within his authority to negate Rosenstein's appointment of Mueller and insist that the investigation be done within normal DOJ offices and resources. There was no need for a special counsel to be brought in to begin with, the decision was made by a subordinate executive official, and Trump is entirely within the valid scope of the office to overrule it. Trump probably should have done that on Day One.
   185. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5650999)
Ok, now I'm convinced. Thanks for persuading me to your view point, SBB.
   186. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5651000)
Shocking that the Grand High Trumpkin gives Trump carte blanche... nobody would have guessed he'd end up there.
   187. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5651001)

Bivens is a troll, and not indicative of anything.
   188. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5651002)

You're not persuadable and I understand that. Many people aren't. It happens.
   189. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5651003)

Yeah, only Modern Liberals disagree, like Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley along with many other GOP office holders, 69% of Americans and even 55% of Republicans. Modern Liberals ALL!
   190. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5651004)

Unless you're some kind of contrarian for the sake of it.

We may have a winner...unconfirmed at this point...
   191. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5651005)
There's plenty of valid reason to fire Mueller. If he did, Trump would not even be impeached, nor would an impeachment be valid as there would be no "high crime or misdemeanor" involved.

Trump oversees DOJ and the FBI. It's entirely within his authority to negate Rosenstein's appointment of Mueller and insist that the investigation be done within normal DOJ offices and resources. There was no need for a special counsel to be brought in to begin with, the decision was made by a subordinate executive official, and Trump is entirely within the valid scope of the office to overrule it. Trump probably should have done that on Day One.
Since Trump is kind of a fake client -- he neither pays his lawyers nor listens to their instructions -- and a troll, he kind of deserves representation from FLTB.
   192. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5651009)
More judicial nominations today. One for the 2d Circuit, two for the 3d, and 16 District Court nomineess, plus a Tax Court nominee & some U.S. Attorneys. A well-qualified group from the available bios, and haven't seen any objections, yet.
   193. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5651014)
More judicial nominations today. One for the 2d Circuit, two for the 3d, and 16 District Court nomineess, plus a Tax Court nominee & some U.S. Attorneys. A well-qualified group from the available bios, and haven't seen any objections, yet.

I think Trump is now within his final year, so all nominations should be halted by virtue of the now-universally agreed Biden rule.
   194. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5651015)
Yeah, only Modern Liberals disagree, like Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley along with many other GOP office holders, 69% of Americans and even 55% of Republicans.

Civil liberties of this nature are typically too subtle and intellectually complicated for laymen to understand and sympathize with which, in part, is why our Constitution made many of them off-limits to often gratuitous and arbitrary popular passions.

OTOH, liberals like Alan Dershowitz, who has been at the very forefront of American civil liberties for about 40 years have essentially the same view as mine. Their agreement is worth far, far more.

195. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5651019)
Bivens is a troll

Sometimes, sure. I've made that clear the only way to interact with Dancing Monkeys is to ridicule them. The subject of Trump isn't fit for conventional debate.

edit...while I appreciate the opinion of you and some others, the only 3 posters here who have it correctly are YR, Sam, and I.

2nd edit...apologies to Zonk and Gonfalon, and probably one or 2 more if I have time to tthink about it.
   196. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5651020)

Bivens is a troll, and not indicative of anything.

Now you tell us? OK, it's hard to keep up with who is allowed to speak for Team Blue here, but how about Zonk, who just weighed in on the topic (#182)?
   197. Lassus Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:06 PM (#5651021)
...are typically too subtle and intellectually complicated for laymen to understand

This line doesn't even ####### work for Alexander Scriabin or Thomas Pynchon or... David Foster Wallace, so please stop.
   198. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5651024)
but how about Zonk, who just weighed in on the topic (#182)?

Zonk's on the A team, dick wad.
   199. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5651025)
Now you tell us? OK, it's hard to keep up with who is allowed to speak for Team Blue here, but how about Zonk, who just weighed in on the topic (#182)?

Pick whoever you want... won't change the fact that Trump speaks for Team Red. How does that make you feel? Proud?
   200. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5651028)
Flip.
Page 2 of 17 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sebastian
for his generous support.