Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 09, 2018

OTP 2018 Apr 9: A Curveball From the New Tax Law: It Makes Baseball Trades Harder

As President Trump congratulated the World Series champion Houston Astros at a White House ceremony last week, he also heaped praise on himself and congressional Republicans for passing a sweeping tax cut last year. He hailed Representative Kevin Brady of Texas, the House’s chief tax writer and an Astros superfan, as “the king of those tax cuts.”

What he did not mention is that the new tax law Mr. Brady helped draft, and which Mr. Trump signed, levies a large new tax on the Astros, and similar franchises across professional sports.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 09, 2018 at 12:46 PM | 1677 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: houston astros, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 17 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5651030)
I think Trump is now within his final year, so all nominations should be halted by virtue of the now-universally agreed Biden rule.

Zonk demonstrating, yet again, that he still doesn't understand the Biden Rule . . . or the calendar.
   202. perros Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5651031)
"If Materialism Is True, the United States Is Probably Conscious"

I don't see why not; though I'm more interested in the US Unconscious. Seems to me that's a big reason why philosophy is so cavalierly dismissed here. Nobody wants to gaze too closely at their navel because that reminds them of their origins, as well as their fate. Any thoughts on Ernest Becker and Terror Management Theory?

I did read through the entire piece, admittedly skimming a bit, and am intrigued by a couple of phrases I came across in the work of Ray Brassier (Nihil Unbound): folk psychology and eliminativism. I'm not really against a sincere attempt to pursue materialism to its logical end, which is that people are nothing special because life itself which we're emeshed in isn't, either. Every last bit of it is destined for extinction -- fait accompli. Schwitzgebel seems to be attacking the last bits of anthropomorphism to which even the most ardent public materialists still cling.

It's all good as though experiment, but always leads me to the imposing "What is to be done?" in light of scientific stripping. What's the best way to live while we're busy dying?

One possible solution is Massimo Pigliucci's How to Be a Stoic, which despite it's Hellenic reliance upon Logos is still more amenable to an atheist, rationalist, materialist mindset than even Zen and the like, and combines an intense personal ethical scrutiny that recognizes our common plight while preparing for our undeniable End.
   203. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5651032)

Pick whoever you want... won't change the fact that Trump speaks for Team Red. How does that make you feel? Proud?

Schmuck Clapper thinks he's in the high school debate club.
   204. perros Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:15 PM (#5651033)
Ismael -- willing to engage more on the Schwitzgabel.

Thanks.
   205. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:16 PM (#5651035)
I see perros has changed names again, but not IPs.
   206. Zonk is Just the Right Amount of Wrought Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:16 PM (#5651036)
Zonk demonstrating, yet again, that he still doesn't understand the Biden Rule . . . or the calendar.

Clapper demonstrating, yet again, that he still doesn't accept his orange master's time won't be measured in 4 year increments.

But back to the question I posed, Clapper... Does it make you proud that Trump is the chief spokesman for Team Red? On a scale of 1 to 10, how proud would you say it makes you?
   207. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:20 PM (#5651039)
do you have an English version of #202?
   208. BrianBrianson Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:23 PM (#5651043)
As a further note, no Canadian government in my lifetime has received more than 50% of the vote. In fact, topping 40% would be a landslide victory that's only happened a couple times in the past thirty years.

You must be about the youngest guy here then.

On the matter of opposition, I've been listening to a political/satirical acapella band from Windsor from the 1960s recently, as that's just the sort of chap that I am, and they complain that Diefenbaker in the opposition was just opposing the government by rote with no real agenda, ideology, or care.

In the many-party democracies it's probably less common, since they have to learn to work together in coalitions. In the 2.5 party democracies (Canada, UK), it's somewhat intermediate.
   209. perros Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:30 PM (#5651057)
do you have an English version of #202?

Don't ask me I don't give a damn
   210. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5651060)
Some are still talking up A Joe Biden 2020 Presidential Run:
There are two tiers of support for possible Democratic presidential candidates. Biden leads the first tier with the support of more than eight in 10 (84 percent) Democrats who say they might support his candidacy if he makes the race. Sens. Bernie Sanders of Vermont (75 percent) and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts (68 percent) follow the former vice president in Tier No. 1.

In Tier No. 2, about half of all Democrats say they might support Sens. Kamla Harris of California (53 percent), Cory Booker of New Jersey (50 percent) or Kristen Gillibrand of New York (48 percent). None of the other possible Democratic candidates have very much national name recognition.

That's mostly just an early name-recognition advantage. Not that hard to overcome, for a good candidate - we'll see if one emerges.
   211. Zonk is Just the Right Amount of Wrought Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:37 PM (#5651067)
If Biden were the nominee for the Democrats in 2020, and as such - be the de facto Team Blue Spokesman (as Trump is for Team Red), I think my scale of of 1 to 10 pride quotient would probably be about a 6 or a 7. Generally on the same with his ideological/governing vision... Especially on certain matters, I think he's good spokesman for the team. Prone to the occasional 'gaffe' or malapropism, but usually in a harmless 'uncle Joe' sort of way.

Where would Trump rank for you in regards to his role as the top spokesman for team red, clapper? 1 to 10.
   212. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5651074)
Since Trump is kind of a fake client -- he neither pays his lawyers nor listens to their instructions -- and a troll, he kind of deserves representation from FLTB.

Trump seems like the kind of person who would accept an unsolicited resume offering to represent him. A Fake Law degree has to be every bit as good as a degree from Trump University, and we all know how well-regarded that is.

Get to it Sub-Beta Blanks! This is your big chance!
   213. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5651079)
Trump seems like the kind of person who would accept an unsolicited resume offering to represent him.
Yes, but only from someone he saw on Fox News.
   214. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5651081)
   215. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5651082)
214: That's awesome. I take back 18½% of the bad things I've said about you.
   216. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 10, 2018 at 04:59 PM (#5651086)
But back to the question I posed, Clapper... Does it make you proud that Trump is the chief spokesman for Team Red? On a scale of 1 to 10, how proud would you say it makes you?

On an amendment scale of 1st to 10th, Clapper pleads the 5th to all questions like that.
   217. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5651087)
That is funny. So did you just doxx him?
   218. Greg K Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5651089)
You must be about the youngest guy here then.

I actually stand corrected. Mulroney won 50.03% of the vote in 1984, and I was born in 1983. Before that The Dief in 1958 at 53.67% is the most recent 50%+ election.
   219. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5651090)
If Biden were the Democrat nominee in 2020, I'd be severely disappointed. He would turn 78 just after the election. We don't need a 78 year old leading the free world.

220. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5651098)
We don't need a 78 year old leading the free world.

Already 78, born March 26, 1940.
   221. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5651100)
@John McCormack
Kind of hoping the only charges against Trump end up being perjury & obstruction committed to cover up Oval Office adultery with an intern, just so we can watch 90% of the country engage in the platonic ideal of hypocrisy.
   222. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5651101)
214: That's awesome. I take back 18½% of the bad things I've said about you.

Great, now I have some overhead to play with.
   223. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:28 PM (#5651103)
The Dersh is apparently meeting with Trump today at the WH.
   224. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:40 PM (#5651109)
#210:
Some are still talking up A Joe Biden 2020 Presidential Run ... That's mostly just an early name-recognition advantage. Not that hard to overcome, for a good candidate - we'll see if one emerges.

Who can speculate about faraway 2020 when it's 2018 and we're smack in the midst of the traditional knife-your-own-Speaker cycle? But weren't the Ryan rumors only just laughably false?
The race to replace Paul Ryan is on
Two top members of Paul Ryan’s leadership team, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy and Majority Whip Steve Scalise, have begun angling for his job in the event the speaker calls it quits after the election.

They’re closely monitoring the moves of the other and quietly courting Republicans who could help either of them clinch the top post, according to 20 GOP lawmakers and aides interviewed for this report.

...Adding to the intrigue, some of Scalise’s allies have urged him to be ready should McCarthy falls short for speaker, as he did in 2015. And some of McCarthy’s allies discount Scalise’s vows not to mount a direct challenge, noting Scalise’s willingness to attempt to leapfrog more senior Republicans in the past.

“Everyone is talking about this,” said one veteran Republican House member who requested anonymity in discussing the brewing rivalry. . “We’re sizing them up, seeing who would be a better fit. It’s the prism that we look at them through now.”

...“Paul Ryan is our speaker and I hope he is our speaker for a very long time,” McCarthy said in a statement. ...“I’m not running against Kevin for anything,” [said Scalise].

...The shift in dynamic between McCarthy and Scalise has caught the attention of some in the White House. Trump, however, might not have realized the nerve he struck when he noted which of the two men was quicker to recognize him at the NRCC’s March fundraising dinner. “Steve stood up faster than you, Kevin!” Trump exclaimed.

Ha, good one! Scalise has undergone several surgeries and is still recuperating from the near-fatal injuries he suffered during the softball shooting.
   225. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:42 PM (#5651110)

So I haven't any firsthand knowledge, but I've seen a bunch of people commenting that the Zuckerberg testimony today was pretty much a bipartisan disaster as senators left and right didn't really have much of a clue of how Facebook works.
   226. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:46 PM (#5651113)
So I haven't any firsthand knowledge, but I've seen a bunch of people commenting that the Zuckerberg testimony today was pretty much a bipartisan disaster as senators left and right didn't really have much of a clue of how Facebook works.

I heard one person sum it up as "how come my grandson didn't approve my friend request"?
   227. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:53 PM (#5651114)
I don't know, the guy questioning him now caught him on his "I welcome regulation" nonsense.
   228. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:54 PM (#5651115)
I think Trump is now within his final year, so all nominations should be halted by virtue of the now-universally agreed Biden rule.

We can't seat these judges until the American people have spoken.
   229. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:57 PM (#5651117)
I don't see why not; though I'm more interested in the US Unconscious.

Oh great. A 20 page rambling incoherent jerk off about the United States' "shadow." Lovely. Someone disinter Carl Jung and shove a hot poker up his ass.
   230. PreservedFish Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:58 PM (#5651118)
Where would Trump rank for you in regards to his role as the top spokesman for team red, clapper? 1 to 10.

I want to comment here that it's an honest shame that Clapper never, ever responds to anything like this. Clapper is a good writer and has a good sense of humor and I enjoy his contributions on the baseball threads. It would be really nice if the board had an earnest conservative voice that was willing to engage in discussion in a real way. But no, he just avoids any topic where he feels unsure or uncomfortable. We can surmise that he doesn't actually agree with everything that every Republican has ever done, but he'd never let us know. I think he justifies this rigorous selectivity by telling himself that he's above the fray, but in reality it just gives the impression that he is a total shill. Would be nice to see him correct that impression, but I mostly just expect more silence on every interesting topic, but frequent updates on Joe Biden's presidential prospects.
   231. SteveF Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:58 PM (#5651119)
Most members of Congress have no clue how most technology works even at the most general level. In light of Clinton's email escapades, that appears to apply to their staff as well. It's potentially a pretty significant problem going forward.
   232. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:58 PM (#5651120)
Peters is asking if FB uses audio mining to target ads at users. The answer was "no".
   233. Karl from NY Posted: April 10, 2018 at 05:59 PM (#5651121)
Cory Booker of New Jersey (50 percent)

This is the number that the Democrats need to put their effort into. Cory Booker can turn out the black base who elected Obama but didn't show up in 2016. An old white guy won't.

Booker is already more known now than Obama was in early 2006. He'll win if he can get nominated.
   234. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 06:00 PM (#5651122)
I see Bitter Mouse is having fun with ellipsis again in #224, trying to make far more out of a mostly speculative article than warranted. Somehow he omitted:
Neither is actively rounding up votes at this point, and both downplayed the possibility of a looming clash. Scalise said in an interview that he would not challenge McCarthy for speaker — “I’m not running against Kevin for anything,” he told POLITICO — while McCarthy said he’s focused solely on keeping the House in November and pursuing President Donald Trump’s agenda.

Ryan will likely lead the House GOP as long as he wants. Get back to us when the House GOP Leadership is as fractured as the Pelosi - Hoyer divide.

235. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 06:05 PM (#5651123)
Most members of Congress have no clue how most technology works even at the most general level. In light of Clinton's email escapades, that appears to also apply to their staff as well. It's potentially a pretty significant problem going forward.

I have some personal work experience here and a large part of it is because pols are basically spoonfed everything, including IT, once they get elected. Being a politician is, at least in theory, a 24/7 job so they are absolutely loathe to spend even a minute or two learning how to use and troubleshoot their technology. Their interaction with something like Facebook would be via the consultant or the IT guy that sets it up. Why would they waste any time on it? Same with their phone or email. "just make it work" was something I heard time and time again, even when I would plead with them to spend 5 minutes learning how to do simple things like a hard reboot. the god complex comes into it as well, just like with any other high ranking executive. they start to feel that #### is beneath them and they can just pay underlings to always fix it and have it working.

And compounding the fact is that most of them are just...old. Being old (say over 50) certainly doesn't preclude you from learning how social media and tech works but it's not helpful either.

236. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 06:19 PM (#5651125)
I think he justifies this rigorous selectivity by telling himself that he's above the fray, but in reality it just gives the impression that he is a total shill.

He gives this impression because he's nothing but a total shill. There is literally nothing a Republican could do to make him say a peep of negative commentary about it. Literally, the way you know Clapper is uncomfortable outright defending the #### heap of modern Republicanism as an unalloyed "good" is when he starts evading and posting random #### about judicial appointments. He will embrace anything in service of his judicial appointments. Anything. He'd literally sell children into pizza sex slavery if it got him a second rate appointee.
   237. BDC Posted: April 10, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5651126)
Being old (say over 50) certainly doesn't preclude you from learning how social media and tech works but it's not helpful either

Hah, I sat through a meeting today where we were treated to a presentation on the new version of Sharepoint, which we were excitedly told would replace Box as our everyday working platform. I have never used either of them in my life, though apparently both have been standard in my workplace for years. If you can't attach something to a ####### e-mail I guess I just won't read it.
   238. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 06:38 PM (#5651130)
I want to comment here that it's an honest shame that Clapper never, ever responds to anything like this. Clapper is a good writer and has a good sense of humor and I enjoy his contributions on the baseball threads. It would be really nice if the board had an earnest conservative voice that was willing to engage in discussion in a real way.

I'm not running for anything, and I discuss what I want to discuss, which is generally substantive. Some here who don't do substance very well want to talk about other posters, many on a middle school playground level, simply because they express different opinions. I'm not much interested in that - those who demonstrate Sam-level stupidity generally lack the self-awareness to even know they are bclowning themselves, so there is little point in engaging with such. Neither am I here to answer interrogatories from those who want to endlessly express their opinion on how poorly they think of the current President. I post substantively on topics which interest me, mixed in with some occasional mocking of those who have done or said mockable things. Try responding to the substance rather than changing the subject or attacking me if you want a real discussion.
   239. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 06:39 PM (#5651131)
Clapper, #234:
Get back to us when the House GOP Leadership is as fractured as the Pelosi - Hoyer divide.

Why don't McCarthy and Scalise take Paul Ryan's retirement denials at face value, the way you have?

As for your ingenuous faith in politicians' open honesty about their ambitions, presumably that same faith also applied when Ryan was issuing statements saying he had zero interest in angling for the Speakership, and while John Boehner was publicly promising that he was going nowhere? But that was a totally different era of Republican politics; it was like two Star Wars movies ago.

McCarthy and Scalise aren't out to sandbag the other on this fine April day. They're just stretching, as they practice for November.
   240. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 06:40 PM (#5651132)
Some here who don't do substance very well want to talk about other posters, many on a middle school playground level, simply because they express different opinions.

Tell your wife to stop calling and begging, man.
   241. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 06:48 PM (#5651133)
Hah, I sat through a meeting today where we were treated to a presentation on the new version of Sharepoint, which we were excitedly told would replace Box as our everyday working platform. I have never used either of them in my life, though apparently both have been standard in my workplace for years. If you can't attach something to a ####### e-mail I guess I just won't read it.

On the flip side most of my younger clients don't really know much about tech either. I mean sure they know how to fire up Snapchat and can text at 100 wpm on their iPhone but I get the same sort of "problems (the wifi switch got turned off...) with them as my older clients.

As you said, you know what you know in order to do what you do. Unless you have a specific interest in tech as tech you won't really bother to learn it.
   242. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: April 10, 2018 at 06:54 PM (#5651134)
simply because they express different opinions.

No, it's because you're an arrogant #### head.
   243. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 10, 2018 at 06:54 PM (#5651135)
I'm not running for anything, and I discuss what I want to discuss, which is generally substantive. Some here who don't do substance very well want to talk about other posters, many on a middle school playground level, simply because they express different opinions. I'm not much interested in that - those who demonstrate Sam-level stupidity generally lack the self-awareness to even know they are bclowning themselves, so there is little point in engaging with such. Neither am I here to answer interrogatories from those who want to endlessly express their opinion on how poorly they think of the current President. I post substantively on topics which interest me, mixed in with some occasional mocking of those who have done or said mockable things. Try responding to the substance rather than changing the subject or attacking me if you want a real discussion.

What garbage. Either you approve of everything that Trump has done and you're ashamed to admit it, or you detest some of his worst actions and you're afraid that someone may be monitoring these threads and taking notes.

Of course that last surmise is silly, but when someone so consistently takes the unspoken 5th amendment about any questions relating to Donald Trump, it's hard to think of any plausible third explanation. You're quick to use ad hominem attacks on long gone figures like Sidney Blumenthal, but when asked about the president who disgraces himself every single day, you simply clam up. To use your favorite cliche, not a good look.

And BTW the same thing goes for JE, but at least he'll do the tut-tut routine once every 50 posts or so when Trump flies completely off the handle. You can't even bring yourself to that point.
   244. Srul Itza Posted: April 10, 2018 at 07:23 PM (#5651145)
Is it credible that Cohen took out a loan to make a six figure payout with (his words) no expectation of being reimbursed?

So that's the first reason Cohen could be in big trouble

There is also a federal banking law issue: Do you think under purpose of loan, he wrote: Paying off porn star?

There were probably a number of places in this sordid story, where he had to make statements regarding the payment, and lied.

For many purposes, not a problem. But there are a lot of places where, in dealing with an FDIC or FSLIC institution, that this is criminal act.
   245. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 07:27 PM (#5651147)
Is it credible that Cohen took out a loan to make a six figure payout with (his words) no expectation of being reimbursed?

Very. If Trump was paying it through Cohen, Cohen would simply pad the bill to Trump, Trump would pay it, and Cohen would use the extra 130 for the payment.
   246. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5651149)
Of course that last surmise is silly, but when someone so consistently takes the unspoken 5th amendment about any questions relating to Donald Trump, it's hard to think of any plausible third explanation.

The explanation is simple. He has no interest in answering your "questions." Instead he wants to comment on things in the way he wants to. No one's under any obligation to answer your questions or to talk about the things you want to talk about. Not that you're even remotely interested in engaging anything outside your Zone of Obsession anyway. All you do is come on here and call Trump a racist 50 times a day and demand that people call him deplorable. No one's interested, anymore than they're interested in the drunk on the barstool at the end of the bar.
   247. Srul Itza Posted: April 10, 2018 at 07:36 PM (#5651151)
Get your facts straight

Forget who you're talking to?
   248. Srul Itza Posted: April 10, 2018 at 07:40 PM (#5651153)
FLTB

Fake Lawyer Troll Boy
or
Fake Lawyer Troll Bot?
   249. . Posted: April 10, 2018 at 07:42 PM (#5651154)
Fake Lawyer Troll Boy
or
Fake Lawyer Troll Bot?

So if a person can be assumed to intend the reasonably predictable consequences of his actions, do you intend to be a surpassingly annoying douche bag?
   250. Srul Itza Posted: April 10, 2018 at 07:47 PM (#5651156)
it just gives the impression that he is a total shill

“Seems,” madam? Nay, it is. I know not “seems.”
   251. Srul Itza Posted: April 10, 2018 at 07:51 PM (#5651159)
And compounding the fact is that most of them are just...old. Being old (say over 50) certainly doesn't preclude you from learning how social media and tech works but it's not helpful either.

"Old" is not the biggest problem. I'm 63 and I have some understanding of this stuff. [Since I played asteroids in 1973 on a mainframe and once took a course in Fortran, I legitimately qualify as a dinosaur]

Stupid, lazy and entitled are much bigger problems.
   252. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 07:58 PM (#5651162)
Me, from #238:
Some here who don't do substance very well want to talk about other posters, many on a middle school playground level, simply because they express different opinions.

Sam, responding in #240:

Tell your wife to stop calling and begging, man.

Also from #238:
. . . those who demonstrate Sam-level stupidity generally lack the self-awareness to even know they are beclowning themselves, so there is little point in engaging with such.

Poor pathetic Sam, still stuck in middle-school mode all these years. Sad.
   253. BDC Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:01 PM (#5651163)
Since I played asteroids in 1973 on a mainframe and once took a course in Fortran

You and me both!

But I feel better after art wall's comments. Twenty years ago, I was far enough ahead of the curve to offer workshops for other faculty on building course websites. These have now all been made obsolete by content-management systems like Blackboard that you don't have to learn; they are easier than posting comments at BBTF. You not only don't have to know tech to use them, you're actually wasting time learning it (because students are so melded with Blackboard et al.).

Sometime early in this century, I realized that I could either continue to stay ahead of the tech curve for tech's sake, or use computers to do what I really wanted to do (read and write). I still hand-tag the text for my websites in the Dreamweaver text editor and in something called TextWrangler for Mac. I swiped enough CSS from sites I liked to support those I want to post, which are a few KB apiece in size, and do nothing except render and become readable. It was like learning to type back in high school – once you'd done that much, there was very little you needed to add (and typing is still pretty central).

As for Box and Sharepoint, if I ever can't avoid them, I will just hit keys like a hundred monkeys till I get the desired effect.
   254. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:04 PM (#5651164)
Poor pathetic Sam, still stuck in middle-school mode all these years. Sad.

Look. I was drunk. She was desperate for an orgasm for a change. I'm not proud of it, man.
   255. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:07 PM (#5651165)

Very. If Trump was paying it through Cohen, Cohen would simply pad the bill to Trump, Trump would pay it, and Cohen would use the extra 130 for the payment.
Why do you go to the trouble of responding to posts but ignore the actual content of the posts?
   256. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:14 PM (#5651169)
Among those judicial nominations linked in #192 was that of Mary McElroy for a Rhode Island District Court seat. IIRC, that's at least the 5th previous Obama judicial nominee renominated by Trump, which could be a modern record for a President of a different party than his predecessor. Not seeing much credit for that, alas. Might be part of a larger compromise.
   257. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:19 PM (#5651172)
Right wing nuts on twitter think this is a "false flag" gas attack and that syrian child actors participated. They are pissed Trump is moving to retaliate. JFC.
   258. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:25 PM (#5651174)
Larvell SBB asks Srul, #249:
So if a person can be assumed to intend the reasonably predictable consequences of his actions, do you intend to be a surpassingly annoying douche bag?

To quote #246, he has no interest in answering your "questions."
   259. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:33 PM (#5651176)
Not seeing much credit for that, alas. Might be part of a larger compromise.

We don't negotiate with terrorists.
   260. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 08:49 PM (#5651177)
So on this page Clapper wrote ...
those who demonstrate Sam-level stupidity generally lack the self-awareness to even know they are bclowning themselves

On the same page he also wrote ...
I see Bitter Mouse is having fun with ellipsis again in #224, trying to make far more out of a mostly speculative article than warranted. Somehow he omitted:

Speaking of beclowning, I didn't write #224. In fact this is my first post on this page. So you guys need to be nice to Clapper, this isn't the first time he has made this mistake and I think he is losing a bit off the old fast ball.

So anyway Clapper, I don't remember that you apologized for your mistake last time, but that's OK. If you want to apologize for attacking me for no reason you can, or not. Either way it will reveal plenty about your character.
   261. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:12 PM (#5651184)
I think he is losing a bit off the old fast ball.

At least as he ages we can take solace in the fact that his Vichy ass will soon die.
   262. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:14 PM (#5651186)
So anyway Clapper, I don't remember that you apologized for your mistake last time . . .

Then you're the one "losing it". I noted that I had inadvertently referred to the wrong poster when it was brought to my attention. Similarly, credit for #224 should go solely to Gonfalon. Generally, I acknowledge my rare errors, unless the thread has moved well ahead by the time I become aware of it. Contrast that to those who twist themselves into a pretzel contending they didn't say what they said when challenged.
   263. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:24 PM (#5651191)
And credit for #234 goes very solely to Yankee Clapper. Particularly the tired rehash about deceptive ellipses. But maybe not the insidious ellipses I included when I posted "...“Paul Ryan is our speaker and I hope he is our speaker for a very long time,” McCarthy said in a statement. ...“I’m not running against Kevin for anything,” [said Scalise]."

But in the interests of comity and brotherhood, Clapper and I both agree that neither Kevin McCarthy nor Steve Scalise will replace Paul Ryan as the majority party's Speaker of the House after the 2018 midterm election.
   264. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5651194)

FLTB does not understand the word "reimbursed."
   265. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:30 PM (#5651196)
Then you're the one "losing it".

As I said, your apology or rather the lack of one, says much about your character.
   266. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:34 PM (#5651199)
NY Times: Trump Sought to Fire Mueller in December
To Mr. Trump, the [Deutsche Bank] subpoenas suggested that Mr. Mueller had expanded the investigation in a way that crossed the “red line” he had set last year in an interview with The New York Times. In the hours that followed Mr. Trump’s initial anger over the Deutsche Bank reports, his lawyers and advisers worked quickly to learn about the subpoenas, and ultimately were told by Mr. Mueller’s office that the reports were not accurate, leading the president to back down.

Mr. Trump’s quick conclusion that the erroneous news reports warranted firing Mr. Mueller is also an insight into Mr. Trump’s state of mind about the special counsel. Despite assurances from leading Republicans like Speaker Paul D. Ryan that the president has not thought about firing Mr. Mueller, the December episode was the second time Mr. Trump is now known to have considered taking that step. The other instance was in June, when the White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, threatened to quit unless Mr. Trump stopped trying to get him to fire Mr. Mueller.

The December episode, which has never been publicly reported, has new resonance following the disclosure on Monday that F.B.I. agents had carried out search warrants at the office and hotel room of Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer, Michael D. Cohen. In that action, the Justice Department seems to have walked directly up to — if not crossed — Mr. Trump’s red line by examining something that seems unrelated to Russia.

...Mr. Trump’s statements to his advisers have been significant enough to attract attention from Mr. Mueller himself. Mr. Mueller’s investigators have interviewed current and former White House officials and have requested documents to understand whether these efforts show evidence the president is trying to obstruct the Justice Department’s investigation, according to two people briefed on the matter.

...The venting has usually been dismissed by his advisers, many of whom insist they have come to see the statements less as direct orders than as simply how the president talks, and that he often does not follow up on his outbursts. One former adviser said that people had become conditioned to wait until Mr. Trump had raised an issue at least three times before acting on it.

It's interesting that Trump insiders are telling the Times about the previously unreported four-month-old outburst one day after yesterday's "we'll see" outburst.
   267. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:43 PM (#5651203)
It's interesting that Trump insiders are telling the Times about the previously unreported four-month-old outburst one day after yesterday's "we'll see" outburst.

The people around Trump leak enough to make a sieve jealous.
   268. PreservedFish Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:47 PM (#5651204)

From what I can tell, we don't even know what you think about Donald Trump.
   269. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 09:48 PM (#5651205)
...The venting has usually been dismissed by his advisers, many of whom insist they have come to see the statements less as direct orders than as simply how the president talks, and that he often does not follow up on his outbursts. One former adviser said that people had become conditioned to wait until Mr. Trump had raised an issue at least three times before acting on it.

the GOP POTUS folks! The guy totally worth protecting! FFS. When will the GOP get a ####### grip on itself? Probably not until Trump burns it all down it appears. Or November, one can hope.
   270. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 10:07 PM (#5651208)
Newspapers aren't doing too well. And when the time comes, I think I might miss snarky tabloid newspaper covers the most.

In related comedy, one of the GOP's National Deputy Finance Chairs has suddenly and mysteriously been removed from the GOP's website. See if you can spot him in this giddy press release. (Hint: It's not Steve Wynn; Wynn was ousted in disgrace three months ago.]
   271. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 10:32 PM (#5651219)
So I didn't see it posted here (whiskey cokes to all the drinkers and free refills on regular cokes to all the abstainers if I missed it) but:

did anybody see this article on one of the leaders of the alt-right on social media?

Trump’s Most Influential White Nationalist Troll Is A Middlebury Grad Who Lives In Manhattan
Twitter troll “Ricky Vaughn” had a bigger influence on the 2016 election than NBC News and the Drudge Report. Here’s who he really is.

Of course he's upper middle class, white, "educated" and...living in Upper Manhattan while doing a lot of nothing.

This is Trump's young, alt-right, virulently racist, undisciplined and for the most part under-achieving base. These are basically youe stereotypical "frat bros" (And I do believe that misogyny, as well as racism is involved) that go work at dad's ____ after school or just skate by on mediocrity otherwise.

Except some of the really privileged go to places like Middlebury as well as State U. And some of them, like young Douglass Mackey here are more than just the son of a college grad or two -- they are the son of a former aide to U.S. Sen. Jim Jeffords who now works at a Montpelier lobbying firm.

These are the elite of the elite. These are the families and kids that really do make up the 1%, at least politically, in the US. And this is what he does with it?

####### christ man. Really? This is your contribution to discourse? A pathetic troll? Makes me angry, I hardly ever get angry over politics anymore but FFS.

Of course the Internet and social media amplify an idiot like Douglass' reach these days. Every two-bit racist from every two-bit town that had a twitter account probably idolized him. Christ on a cracker.
   272. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 10:38 PM (#5651223)
Saw Chappaquiddick last night. A watchable movie, even though Steven Seagal wasn't in it. Not great, but interesting enough. Kennedy is portrayed in mostly a mildly negative light, although in very brief spurts in a positive light as well. They don't show him as evil or a villain, only as a morally compromised man who let what he saw as his destiny and his family calling -- his quest to be president, particularly to honor his father and his three brothers -- outweigh a moral response to driving the car into the water, which would have required him to do everything he could to save Kopechne, including running to a nearby home to have the folks there call the authorities for help.

So in the aftermath of the incident -- the hours immediately following it, and the days following her death -- he is portrayed mostly as a man far more concerned with his political future than with her loss of life. This isn't always true: after calling her parents himself to inform them of her death, he hangs up the phone and sobs, overcome by emotion.

They also paint him as BSing the public -- such as with the neck brace at the funeral and his tv statement -- as his handlers game the legal system and try to figure out the best path forward for him with the paramount concern his political future.

They don't try to claim that he slept with Kopechne. They just show him leaving the party with her and interested in her to some degree but they don't go beyond that.

Much of his reaction to the incident I find distasteful, but, sadly, par for the political course. But he was supposed to be a better man than that, and that's where he falls. The second point is that there was a real chance Kopechne could have been saved had he gotten help, given that the water was not deep and she appears not to have drowned but to have suffocated meaning that despite being unable to free herself from the inside of the car she had found a pocket of air that was keeping her alive. Alas, she ultimately perished in the frigid waters.

A final point: it was a ridiculously designed bridge, at an angle to the road, barely wide enough for one car, without guardrails and with no lights; as such I don't actually blame him much for driving off of it.
   273. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 10, 2018 at 10:49 PM (#5651224)
Oh my.

lol, how did he decide to put Hillary #1 and Bill #2?
   274. Lassus Posted: April 10, 2018 at 10:50 PM (#5651225)
Am I the first with this?

Trump set to dine with law professor Alan Dershowitz
President Donald Trump is supposed to have dinner at the White House Tuesday evening with law professor and high-profile defender Alan Dershowitz, a source familiar with the matter told CNN.

Dershowitz has been a critic of special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation and appeared on Fox News broadcasts opposing the FBI raid on Trump's personal attorney Michael Cohen.

A source said Dershowitz is also there to talk about the Middle East, but it is likely the President is looking for legal input. Two sources said Dershowitz is not joining the legal team at this point and that he is very valuable on the outside making the President's case on television.
Dershowitz has been a regular defender of Trump in the media amid major legal developments, and Trump has in the past dined with key boosters from cable. Trump ate with Fox News' Sean Hannity at Mar-a-Lago late last month, two sources told CNN at the time.

Dershowtiz, addressing the Cohen raid on Hannity's program Monday evening, advocated Trump trying to fight to retain some seized documents. "Look, I don't give advice to the President, except on television," he said. "If he wants to listen, he can listen. But if I were the President, I would at least seriously consider going to court tomorrow."
   275. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 10, 2018 at 10:50 PM (#5651226)
   276. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 10, 2018 at 10:53 PM (#5651227)
did anybody see this article on one of the leaders of the alt-right on social media?

Trump’s Most Influential White Nationalist Troll Is A Middlebury Grad Who Lives In Manhattan
Twitter troll “Ricky Vaughn” had a bigger influence on the 2016 election than NBC News and the Drudge Report. Here’s who he really is.

Unfortunately that's a dead end link, as you'll see if you click on it. It's always a good idea to click on your own links while previewing your comments.

I googled the first sentence in that quote, and this is probably the article you meant to link to. It's indeed quite a profile.
   277. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 10, 2018 at 10:59 PM (#5651228)
Oh, my

lol, how did he decide to put Hillary #1 and Bill #2?

What would really be a hoot would be if Hannity himself got raided.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I the first with this?

Trump set to dine with law professor Alan Dershowitz

Somewhere down below, Rabbi Baruch Korff is high-fiving Richard Nixon.
   278. Ray (CTL) Posted: April 10, 2018 at 11:35 PM (#5651233)
Dershowitz has been a regular defender of Trump in the media amid major legal developments,

"Defender of Trump" is so the media. Dershowitz gives his opinions on the law. Unfortunately, the people deranged over Trump think that anyone who is not smearing Trump with every sentence is "defending" him.
   279. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 11, 2018 at 12:18 AM (#5651241)
Thanks St. Nick. Yea quite the profile.
   280. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: April 11, 2018 at 12:57 AM (#5651248)
Reddit just announced a ban on 1000 Russian troll accounts.

Interesting posting histories. a. A mix of Trumpholstering and gleeful predictions of Hillary Clinton's Impending arrests, with some curious excursions to other forums as well. Lotta angry black people in Moscow.

Get your Trump talking points! From Putin’s mouth to you ears!
   281. Lassus Posted: April 11, 2018 at 05:59 AM (#5651254)
"Defender of Trump" is so the media literal.
   282. . Posted: April 11, 2018 at 07:11 AM (#5651256)
"Defender of Trump" is so the media. Dershowitz gives his opinions on the law. Unfortunately, the people deranged over Trump think that anyone who is not smearing Trump with every sentence is "defending" him.

Indeed. It is to laugh.

The Times's editorial today on the raid and Trump was deranged. An abject embarrassment.

283. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 11, 2018 at 07:26 AM (#5651258)
"Defender of Trump" is so the media. Dershowitz gives his opinions on the law.
Very little of his pro-Trump opining is on the law.
   284. . Posted: April 11, 2018 at 07:33 AM (#5651259)
Very little of his pro-Trump opining is on the law.

None of your anti-Trump opining is.

Advantage, Dershowitz.
   285. . Posted: April 11, 2018 at 07:40 AM (#5651261)
Can't wait to hear modern lefties say Trump is hitting back at Syria and Russia "to distract from his problems at home."

Is the missile strike obstruction of Mueller's investigation? LOL.
   286. Lassus Posted: April 11, 2018 at 07:47 AM (#5651264)
Old men with missiles and egos are hilarious. Especially to dead people.
   287. McCoy Posted: April 11, 2018 at 07:55 AM (#5651266)
Yes, a world without regulations tend to less to dangerous environments despite what Trump will tell you. And considering it was Ted Kennedy I would also say he was probably drunk as well.
   288. Lassus Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:10 AM (#5651268)
   289. manchestermets Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:13 AM (#5651269)
Why do you go to the trouble of responding to posts but ignore the actual content of the posts?

FLTB does not understand the word "reimbursed."

Yes, yes, yes, SBB's post was full of holes Trump could drive an 18-wheeler through - 130 grand to pay off a 130 grand loan? Do fake lawyers not pay interest on loans? - but the best bit was where he said, regarding a bill, "Trump would pay it".
   290. PreservedFish Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:23 AM (#5651272)
When I was in Thailand I saw a bareknuckle kickboxing competition near the Burmese border. The boxers were middle school kids, maybe 11 or 12 years old? There was a lot of blood, and some of the (Western) girls I attended with were in tears. That probably conjures up an image of a dark alley or dank basement, but the whole thing actually had a wholesome community feel. It was a sunny weekend day, the rafters were full of families and of monks in their saffron robes, and there were huge pots of curries that everyone was welcome to - I think the whole event may have been sponsored by a local temple. Definitely a top memorable travel experience. Enjoyed my first (and last) cheroot, to boot.
   291. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:31 AM (#5651273)
That probably conjures up an image of a dark alley or dank basement, but the whole thing actually had a wholesome community feel.

Hard pass.
   292. bunyon Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:35 AM (#5651278)
You're doing Thailand wrong, PF.
   293. PreservedFish Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:36 AM (#5651280)
Don't worry bunyon, I also saw the Patpong ping pong show.
   294. McCoy Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:36 AM (#5651282)
I don't know. His story involved sweaty semi naked boys. Sounds like he was doing it as expected.
   295. Lassus Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:36 AM (#5651283)
Did someone recently say something about Ryan sticking around forever, or just for his term? Because the former (if ever said) appears not to be true.
   296. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:36 AM (#5651284)
So in the last few days we have seen younger voters continue to move away from the GOP and hitting high enthusiasm levels. Older well educated voters moving away from the GOP. At least the GOP has conservatives ... uh oh.

Conservatives irate over GOP’s spending hypocrisy

“There is no one on Capitol Hill, and certainly no one on Main Street, that will take this vote seriously,” said Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), on the heels of a $1.3 trillion spending package that Republicans approved just last month.

“Leadership is just trying to check a box here,” added Andrew Roth, vice president for government affairs at the Club for Growth. “I don’t see how voters can distinguish between Republicans and Democrats when it comes to spending.”

But it is all liberals fault!

The CBO’s deficit forecast hasn’t been that bleak since the Great Recession. And this time, Republicans can’t blame Barack Obama and the Democrats.

Rather, it’s a result of a combination of GOP-approved bills: tax cuts that CBO now expects to add $1.9 trillion to the deficit over 10 years; a newly passed bipartisan deal to raise strict spending caps by $320 billion for two years; and a recent $100 billion infusion of cash into emergency disaster coffers — almost entirely unpaid for.
   297. Swoboda is freedom Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:39 AM (#5651287)
130 grand to pay off a 130 grand loan? Do fake lawyers not pay interest on loans? - but the best bit was where he said, regarding a bill, "Trump would pay it".

Cohen would also be liable for the income tax on that money. If he billed Trump $130k, he would have to pay income taxes on that money. He couldn't deduct the payoff as an expense, nor the loan payments. He could deduct the interest.
   298. PreservedFish Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:41 AM (#5651290)
"GOP's spending hypocrisy" has been the modus operandi for decades. Tough to believe anyone will actually care this time, if they didn't really care before.
   299. Lassus Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:42 AM (#5651291)
Don't worry bunyon, I also saw the Patpong ping pong show.

What am I a traitor to if I would sooner play actual ping-pong in Thailand than do this? (Wait, I did do that! It was really great fun.)
   300. BrianBrianson Posted: April 11, 2018 at 08:46 AM (#5651293)
For YR: Bare-knuckle boxing is on the way back.

The most civilised form of boxing. Gloved boxing is what ought to be banned and shamed.
Page 3 of 17 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.