Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 20, 2018

OTP 2018 August 20: Sick of divisive summertime politics? Baseball’s thrills offer an escape

First, things starting with the letter “L” come to mind when thinking about this summer.
“The Summer of Lying?” Nah, let’s keep this positive.

It seems like certain politicians and college coaches have been competing in a never-ending race to the bottom of the dishonesty cesspool.
“The Summer of LeBron?” Maybe. But no, LeBron James doesn’t need any more attention.

But his decision to build a new public school for at-risk kids in his hometown of Akron, Ohio, and cover all student costs should be commended by everyone, including the U.S. Secretary of Education and her boss.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 20, 2018 at 07:45 AM | 2230 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 23 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 20, 2018 at 08:46 PM (#5730481)
Keith Ellison’s daughter writes a statement regarding the abuse accusations made against her father.

The kinds of accusations Karen Monahan has thrown at my dad, Keith Ellison, and her inability to stand firm on the truth are very much qualities inherent to the Karen I know.

I‘ve been quiet on this issue the past few days because I’ve been trying to find a way to process this strange and upsetting situation. I also wanted to wait until after the primary and the DFL endorsement because this is not a political issue for me, but a deeply personal one. But I never actually signed up for public or political life. I can’t sit back and watch as Karen’s tried and true red flags appear and the public selectively ignore them. This is my experience with Karen...

...I’m now being told that she has been posting on Facebook that government agents are hacking her computer and deleting relevant emails and files… which is simply in line with the kind of thing she finds believable. No one but her son asserted there was a “tape”, and she has flip-flopped on it’s existence. Again, this is how I’ve experienced Karen responding to skepticism.

Many people—including, probably, many people reading these words—believe Karen. That reality both gives me hope for the beautiful momentum that the #metoo movement has built, and a profound anger at the injustice of these false accusations. But Karen Monahan is exploiting a movement. She is banking on those who have nothing but good intentions to believe her.

If I didn’t know Karen, I too would want to lean towards believing the accuser and being skeptical of the accused. Because those of us who are invested in the safety of women know that false allegations just do not happen often.

I sincerely hope that Karen finds the closure she needs for whatever grief she is holding. I hope that she finds peace. I also hope, not only for my family but for the good people who support her, that she corrects this horrible mistake, that she admits there is no video because there was no incident, and that she reckon with her anger in a more honest way.
   202. Stormy JE Posted: August 20, 2018 at 08:50 PM (#5730484)
Sammy's BFFs are at it again...

Two Iranian-Americans Charged With Spying on Jewish, Israeli Facilities:
Two Iranian-Americans have been charged by the Trump administration with spying on Jewish and Israeli-associated facilities in California on behalf of the hardline Iranian regime, the Department of Justice announced late Monday.

The charges, first made public on Monday, are among the first by the Trump administration charging Iranian spies of running operations on the Jewish and American communities on American soil.

"The National Security Division is committed to protecting the United States from individuals within our country who unlawfully act on behalf of hostile foreign nations," Assistant Attorney General John Demers said in a statement.

The two Iranian individuals—identified as Ahmadreza Mohammadi-Doostdar, a dual U.S.-Iranian citizen, and Majid Ghorbani, an Iranian citizen and resident of California—"with allegedly acting on behalf of the government of the Islamic Republic of Iran by conducting covert surveillance of Israeli and Jewish facilities in the United States, and collecting identifying information about American citizens and U.S. nationals who are members of the group Mujahedin-e Khalq (MEK)," an Iranian opposition group that promotes regime change in the Islamic Republic.

"Doostdar and Ghorbani are alleged to have acted on behalf of Iran, including by conducting surveillance of political opponents and engaging in other activities that could put Americans at risk," Demers said. "With their arrest and these charges, we are seeking to hold the defendants accountable."
   203. perros Posted: August 20, 2018 at 08:52 PM (#5730485)

Keith Ellison’s daughter writes a statement regarding the abuse accusations made against her father.

It's important to listen to women's accusations of violence, but it's quite uncomfortable to call for somebody's head because an ex spouse or girlfriend with a potential axe to grind says they fought in the past, sans evidence of any abuse. And it's not like most domestic disputes aren't a two-way street, with the woman perpetrating physical abuse as often as men.

It's on the record Delaware Sen. Tom Carper slapped his ex-wife.
   204. perros Posted: August 20, 2018 at 08:55 PM (#5730486)

Two Iranian-Americans Charged With Spying on Jewish, Israeli Facilities:

(cough-cough-cough)
   205. Stormy JE Posted: August 20, 2018 at 09:04 PM (#5730487)
(cough-cough-cough)
Got something to say, douchey? Your "cough-cough-cough" is a content-free steaming pile of garbage.
   206. Srul Itza Posted: August 20, 2018 at 09:32 PM (#5730498)
Mr. Trump was rattled by the Times report, according to people familiar with his thinking.

I'm calling shenanigans and FAKE NEWS. Since when has Trump engaged in such a sissified activity as "thinking"?
   207. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 20, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5730501)
(cough-cough-cough)

Got something to say, douchey? Your "cough-cough-cough" is a content-free steaming pile of garbage.

You can’t Juanabout Juan!
   208. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 20, 2018 at 09:51 PM (#5730502)
NY Times: Trump Lawyers’ Sudden Realization: They Don’t Know What Don McGahn Told Mueller’s Team

Despite extensive efforts here & elsewhere to make something out of Trump's willingness to allow the White House Counsel to be interviewed by Mueller's team, Occam's Razor still provides the likeliest explanation - Trump didn't collude or obstruct justice and doesn't feel threatened by Dan McGahn talking to Mueller. Now, one can argue whether that is the best tactic even if Trump's correct about his own actions, but suggestions that Trump was hurt by McGahn's testimony appear to be incorrect:
White House counsel Donald McGahn does not believe that he implicated President Trump in any legal wrongdoing in extensive interviews he has given the special counsel, McGahn’s attorney told Trump’s legal team in recent days.

The assurances from McGahn’s attorney came as the president and his lawyers pushed back against the suggestion in a New York Times report that Trump’s attorneys have little insight into what McGahn told special counsel Robert S. Mueller III.
. . .
McGahn’s attorney, Bill Burck, told Trump’s lawyers this past weekend that McGahn did not assert that Trump engaged in any wrongdoing when he spoke to Mueller’s investigators in three lengthy interviews since last November, according to people with knowledge of the discussions.
. . .
Burck has assured Trump’s lawyers that McGahn did not witness Trump engaged in any crime and would have resigned from his White House post if he had, according to people familiar with the conversations.

The breathless reporting implying that McGahn was worried he was being set up or at odds with Trump seems to be pure invention.
   209. BDC Posted: August 20, 2018 at 09:52 PM (#5730503)
Chelsea Clinton’s not going to move to Texas to run for Congress, is she? Please tell me the chances of that are remote.
   210. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 20, 2018 at 09:56 PM (#5730505)
McGahn’s attorney, Bill Burck, told Trump’s lawyers this past weekend that McGahn did not assert that Trump engaged in any wrongdoing when he spoke to Mueller’s investigators in three lengthy interviews since last November, according to people with knowledge of the discussions.
. . .
Burck has assured Trump’s lawyers that McGahn did not witness Trump engaged in any crime and would have resigned from his White House post if he had, according to people familiar with the conversations.

The breathless reporting implying that McGahn was worried he was being set up or at odds with Trump seems to be pure invention.

I have NO idea whether Trump and his lawyers are sweating McGahn or not, but why should a denial by his lawyer be taken at face value? Hell, if I were in Burck's place I'd say the same thing.
   211. perros Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:00 PM (#5730507)
US arrests 200 Israelis in spying investigation

UP to 200 young Israelis, some of them former members of military intelligence units, have been arrested in America in the past year, a leaked government report disclosed yesterday.

Some had used cover stories to gain access to sensitive government buildings and the homes of American officials. The report said the actions of some of the Israelis, most of whom had outstayed tourist visas, "may well be an organised intelligence-gathering activity".

None of the Israelis, about 140 of whom are believed to have been detained before the September 11 attacks, has been charged and most have been deported, according to the US government.

A spokesman for the Israeli Foreign Ministry, Yaffa Ben-Ari, said it was "nonsense" that they had been spying on America. There has been no formal American allegation of spying by Israel although Tel Aviv has launched espionage operations against its principal ally in the past.

The leaked report was compiled by the Drug Enforcement Administration after some of its offices were allegedly targeted by Israelis posing as art students. "That these people are now travelling in the US selling art seems not to fit their background," the DEA report said.

On Oct 31, the FBI and Immigration and Naturalisation Service officers arrested about 60 young Israelis in San Diego, Kansas City, Cleveland, Houston and St Louis. All had been selling toys at kiosks in shopping centres across America and the FBI is reported to have been investigating this as a front operation for espionage activities.

Before that date, about 140 young Israelis had been detained, some for long periods, by the FBI and other federal agencies.

Because Israel is an ally, the US merely deports these spies without a big news splash, but c'mon -- it's a vital Israeli interest to spy on the US and do all it can to ensure it influences the US gov't in it's steadfast aid and support, not to mention industrial espionage activities.

There have been US news stories as well, but google's not popping those up for some reason.
   212. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:13 PM (#5730509)
I have NO idea whether Trump and his lawyers are sweating McGahn or not, but why should a denial by his lawyer be taken at face value? Hell, if I were in Burck's place I'd say the same thing.

You don't have to buy the idea that McGahn's testimony proves Trump's innocence, but today's WaPo story doesn't jibe with earlier articles excerpted here that implied McGahn was concerned he was being set up and was at odds with Trump & others in the White House.
   213. perros Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:15 PM (#5730511)
White House counsel Donald McGahn does not believe that he implicated President Trump in any legal wrongdoing in extensive interviews he has given the special counsel, McGahn’s attorney told Trump’s legal team in recent days.

So McGahn's attorney is representing him with the Trump legal eagles -- in recent days?

Trump allies Christie and Bannon have criticized Dowd and Cobb for leaving McGahn no choice but to spill the beans to Mueller. Also, the two lawyers wete caught badmouthing McGahn in the presence of a NYT reporter.

Need we mention Trump's unhinged tweets on the matter?
   214. Stormy JE Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:15 PM (#5730512)
US arrests 200 Israelis in spying investigation

Refuted:
A wide array of U.S. officials yesterday dismissed reports that the U.S. government had broken up an Israeli espionage ring that consisted of young Israelis attempting to penetrate U.S. agencies by selling artwork in federal buildings.

"This seems to be an urban myth that has been circulating for months," said Justice Department spokeswoman Susan Dryden. "The department has no information at this time to substantiate these widespread reports about Israeli art students involved in espionage."

Several officials said the allegations -- first reported by a French online publication and later by other news organizations -- of a massive U.S. probe of Israeli spies appear to have been circulated by a single employee of the Drug Enforcement Administration who is angry that his theories have not gained currency. ...

Immigration and Naturalization Service spokesman Russell Bergeron said several dozen Israelis in their twenties were arrested and deported in the first nine months of 2001 for being employed without proper INS work papers. A law enforcement official said some were investigated for possible fraud charges.

"These were routine, normal cases," Bergeron said. "I have no knowledge of any espionage-related issues with these people."
Do these conspiracy theories about Israel and Jews give you stiffies? Will your next post contain the one about Jews being warned to leave the Twin Towers before the planes struck?
   215. perros Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:16 PM (#5730513)
McGahn was at odds with Dowd and Cobb on WH coopoeration with Mueller, dumbfuck.
   216. Lassus Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:21 PM (#5730516)
with the woman perpetrating physical abuse as often as men.

Shut up, stupid fucking hippie.
   217. Lassus Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:23 PM (#5730517)
Your "cough-cough-cough" is a content-free steaming pile of garbage.

LOLOLOLOLOLLOOLOLOLOLOLOOLOOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Did I get that right?

I mean, it's from the idiot hippie, so it's probably garbage, but seriously, not every last disagreement equals NO CONTENT NO SUBSTANCE.
   218. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:28 PM (#5730519)
Chelsea Clinton’s not going to move to Texas to run for Congress, is she? Please tell me the chances of that are remote.

Best to be vigilant, BDC. The Washington Post website is prominently featuring this puff-piece report on a woman who has never set foot in Alaska, but is running for its lone House seat:
Carol Hafner’s longshot bid for Congress has the potential to make her Alaska’s first female U.S. Representative in history. There’s one catch: Hafner doesn’t live in the state. In fact, she’s never even visited.
. . .
The move may be unconventional, but it’s technically legal, as the United States Constitution only requires that representatives meet age and residency requirements at the time they are elected, according to AP. Election officials in the state confirmed to the AP that, despite challenges filed against her candidacy, she filed her paperwork properly to secure a spot on the ballot.
. . .
Hafner is one of four candidates — including two women — running in Alaska’s Democratic primary on Tuesday. The winner will take on Young, who first took office in 1973, for the state’s one at-large House seat.

Hafner looks like a long shot, but Chelsea's handlers are probably monitoring the situation.
   219. perros Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:31 PM (#5730520)
Were detained Israelis spies?

According to the police report, one of the passengers told the officers they had been on the West Side Highway in Manhattan "during the incident" — referring to the World Trade Center attack. The driver of the van, Sivan Kurzberg, told the officers, "We are Israeli. We are not your problem. Your problems are our problems. The Palestinians are the problem." The other passengers were his brother Paul Kurzberg, Yaron Shmuel, Oded Ellner and Omer Marmari.

When the men were transferred to jail, the case was transferred out of the FBI's Criminal Division, and into the bureau's Foreign Counterintelligence Section, which is responsible for espionage cases, ABCNEWS has learned.

One reason for the shift, sources told ABCNEWS, was that the FBI believed Urban Moving may have been providing cover for an Israeli intelligence operation.

After the five men were arrested, the FBI got a warrant and searched Urban Moving's Weehawken, N.J., offices.

The FBI searched Urban Moving's offices for several hours, removing boxes of documents and a dozen computer hard drives. The FBI also questioned Urban Moving's owner. His attorney insists that his client answered all of the FBI's questions. But when FBI agents tried to interview him again a few days later, he was gone.

Three months later 2020's cameras photographed the inside of Urban Moving, and it looked as if the business had been shut down in a big hurry. Cell phones were lying around; office phones were still connected; and the property of dozens of clients remained in the warehouse.

The owner had also cleared out of his New Jersey home, put it up for sale and returned with his family to Israel.

Steven Gordon, the attorney for the five Israeli detainees, acknowledged that his clients' actions on Sept. 11 would easily have aroused suspicions. "You got a group of guys that are taking pictures, on top of a roof, of the World Trade Center. They're speaking in a foreign language. They got two passports on 'em. One's got a wad of cash on him, and they got box cutters. Now that's a scary situation."

But Gordon insisted that his clients were just five young men who had come to America for a vacation, ended up working for a moving company, and were taking pictures of the event.

The five Israelis were held at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, ostensibly for overstaying their tourist visas and working in the United States illegally. Two weeks after their arrest, an immigration judge ordered them to be deported. But sources told ABCNEWS that FBI and CIA officials in Washington put a hold on the case.

The five men were held in detention for more than two months. Some of them were placed in solitary confinement for 40 days, and some of them were given as many as seven lie-detector tests.

Since their arrest, plenty of speculation has swirled about the case, and what the five men were doing that morning. Eventually, The Forward, a respected Jewish newspaper in New York, reported the FBI concluded that two of the men were Israeli intelligence operatives.

Vince Cannistraro, a former chief of operations for counterterrorism with the CIA who is now a consultant for ABCNEWS, said federal authorities' interest in the case was heightened when some of the men's names were found in a search of a national intelligence database.

According to Cannistraro, many people in the U.S. intelligence community believed that some of the men arrested were working for Israeli intelligence. Cannistraro said there was speculation as to whether Urban Moving had been "set up or exploited for the purpose of launching an intelligence operation against radical Islamists in the area, particularly in the New Jersey-New York area."

Under this scenario, the alleged spying operation was not aimed against the United States, but at penetrating or monitoring radical fund-raising and support networks in Muslim communities like Paterson, N.J., which was one of the places where several of the hijackers lived in the months prior to Sept. 11.

For the FBI, deciphering the truth from the five Israelis proved to be difficult. One of them, Paul Kurzberg, refused to take a lie-detector test for 10 weeks — then failed it, according to his lawyer. Another of his lawyers told us Kurzberg had been reluctant to take the test because he had once worked for Israeli intelligence in another country.

Jason's Pavlovian response to any uncomfortable facts regarding Israel is nothing new, even when admission that Israel is like every other nation using spies to promote and protect its interests abroad would be the smart course.

Most certainly in the nation most vital to its national security.
   220. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:34 PM (#5730521)
Not all parties are as fortunate as the GOP to have so many Nazis ready and willing to step in fill ballot slots, Clapper.
   221. Stormy JE Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:34 PM (#5730522)
Did I get that right?
Oh dear, you're not all that skilled with non-substantive posts either.
   222. Stormy JE Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:46 PM (#5730523)
Jason's Pavlovian response to any uncomfortable facts regarding Israel is nothing new, even when admission that Israel is like every other nation using spies to promote and protect its interests abroad would be the smart course.
That's quite a stiffy you're sporting. Maybe cover the keyboard in plastic wrap before it's too late?

BTW, it's hysterical that you selectively edited the conspiracy theory piece.
   223. perros Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:57 PM (#5730524)
it's hysterical that you selectively edited the conspiracy theory piece.

Says the man obsessively posting about my penis.

I clipped a huge chunk unedited besides subtitles from obscure cinspiracy mongers ABC News, including parts favorable to the spies.

The whole thing is typical Jason, outraged by Iranian-Americans gathering intelligence on Israelis, when he would applaud Israelis spying on Arab-Americans... or even Trump hiring Israelis to spy on Obama officials over the Iranian nuke deal.
   224. Stormy JE Posted: August 20, 2018 at 10:58 PM (#5730525)
He brought an American flag to protest fascism in Portland. Then antifa attacked him:
Paul Welch came to the downtown protest Aug. 4 to let his political leanings be known.

With pride he clutched his U.S. flag as he moved among the crowd of like-thinking demonstrators.

Soon a group of black-clad anti-fascist protesters, also known as antifa, demanded he lose the flag, calling it a fascist symbol. Welch refused, and a tug-of-war ensued.

It ended with Welch taking a club to the back of the head, lying on the ground in a pool of his own blood.

Only Welch was not a Proud Boy, a Patriot Prayer supporter or among the other conservative activists who descended into the area that day, many from out of town.

He was one of hundreds of progressive Portlanders who had turned out to oppose the right-wing rally held at the Tom McCall Waterfront Park.

"I didn't come as a part of any one group," Welch said in an interview with The Oregonian/OregonLive. "I was just protesting outsiders coming here for their tacitly fascist event."

Anger following the demonstration has largely been directed at Portland police, whose use of "less-lethal" riot-control weapons on counter-protesters hospitalized at least three people and injured several others.

But others, like Welch, became targets of violence at the hands of protest participants, even as police kept rival political factions apart. A video taken of his attack has been viewed more than 800,000 times online. ...

"I had felt like showing that a liberal, free Portland — or any major city, really — is much more American and much more numerous and strong than any of these interloping groups," he said.

A "slightly progressive leftist" by his telling, Welch is a registered Democrat in Oregon, voting records show. He cast his ballot for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 presidential primary and Hillary Clinton in the general election, he said.

The 38-year-old line cook is also no stranger to street protests in Portland. He said he attended the Women's March held during the weekend of Donald Trump's inauguration.

This summer, Welch, who works six days a week at a catering company, stopped by the Occupy ICE encampment on his days off to bring protesters water, toilet paper and sunblock, he said. ...

As he carried his flag, two people dressed in black and covering their faces approached Welch and demanded he turn it over to them, calling it "a fascist symbol," he said.

Welch refused, and the counter-protesters ripped it out of his hands, he said.

Welch wouldn't relinquish the flag.

Video captured by Mike Bivins, a freelance journalist, shows what happened next.

As Welch and the counter-protesters wrangle over the flag, another masked counter-protester begins to strike Welch's body from behind using a weapon concealed in black fabric.

That person then uses the weapon to club Welch on the back of the head, causing him to collapse instantly. The demonstrator with the weapon wanders off.
Antifa fascists behaving like fascists because someone was holding an American flag? NO WAY.
   225. Lassus Posted: August 20, 2018 at 11:06 PM (#5730526)
I must have missed the part where somewhere here or anywhere claimed violent Antifa assholes didn't exist and shouldn't be arrested.
   226. Stormy JE Posted: August 20, 2018 at 11:07 PM (#5730527)
The whole thing is typical Jason, outraged by Iranian-Americans gathering intelligence on Israelis, when he would applaud Israelis spying on Arab-Americans... or even Trump hiring Israelis to spy on Obama officials over the Iranian nuke deal.
Wait, I thought it was 200 Israelis? Now you think it's... five, according to a report that's never been confirmed?

Meanwhile, Iranians and their assets have engaged in actual murderous terrorist activities, from conspiring to blow up Cafe Milano in DC to the Khobar Towers bombings in Saudi to destroying the Jewish community center and Israeli Embassy in Buenos Aires. No wonder why these two Israelis were arrested.

And assuming perros = OJ, you've long been an outspoken apologist for Moscow, Tehran, and Damascus. You're a walking zero.
   227. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 20, 2018 at 11:12 PM (#5730529)
Not all colleges are bad

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Protesters on Monday night toppled the controversial "Silent Sam" statue on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

More than 300 protesters first gathered at the Peace and Justice Plaza at about 7 p.m., before marching to the base of the statue, calling for its removal. By 9:30 p.m., the statue was on the ground and the crowd was cheering.
   228. Stormy JE Posted: August 20, 2018 at 11:24 PM (#5730531)
No wonder why these two Israelis Iranians were arrested.
Fixed.
   229. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 20, 2018 at 11:26 PM (#5730532)
Speaking of long shot candidates, this probably doesn't help - Former Sheriff Running For Governor Can't Find Her Gun:
Democratic nominee for Texas governor, then-Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez had a problem with her sidearm. . . . Valdez, the Democratic gubernatorial nominee, cannot account for what happened to her sidearm after she left office in December. And neither can the sheriff’s department, which has scoured the inventory amid concerns the firearm could land in the hands of criminals if it is not found.

“Once I was notified that my weapon was not accounted for, I did my due diligence to locate the weapon. To my knowledge, my weapon was misplaced during the transition,” Valdez said in a written statement to the Dallas Morning News, which first reported the story.

Don't know if as Sheriff - mostly a supervisory position - she routinely carried her sidearm, but you'd think when she didn't it'd be stored in an appropriate location where it could be readily found. She wasn't likely to win, but the "how can you run Texas if you can't even keep track of your gun" commercials won't help.
   230. Lassus Posted: August 20, 2018 at 11:33 PM (#5730533)
Oh dear, you're not all that skilled with non-substantive posts either.

Yeah, I should have mentioned for the 12th time something you wore over two years ago, that would really have been biting.
   231. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:11 AM (#5730536)
The first congressional candidate has declared for 2026 - David Hogg Indicates He Will Run For Congress When Constitutionally Eligible:
Hogg is working on a seven-year plan. Now that the bus tour is over, he and his friends in the March for Our Lives organization plan to spend the next several months meeting more activists and canvasing in advance of the midterm elections. And if he could design his future without any obstacles, he would go to college in the fall of 2019, “read a shitload of books,” then take some time off in 2020 to work on a presidential campaign.
(Certain candidates have already approached him, he told me.) Then, after college, he would prepare for his congressional run. “I think I’ve come to that conclusion,” he says. “I want to be at least part of the change in Congress.”
. . .
He is interested in the idea of placing age limits on politicians. “The reason Republicans are successful right now is because they’re empowering young people,” he told me, pointing out that Paul Ryan was 45 when he became Speaker of the House. “Older Democrats just won’t move the #### off the plate and let us take control. Nancy Pelosi is old.”

Well, he's right about that last part. He's 18 now, so will meet the Constitutional age-25 requirement in 2025. Not really clear where he will run when he grows up. Maybe he can find a special election in 2025, so he won't have to wait until the 2026 general election. Keep an eye out, BDC, he could run against Chelsea in your primary.
   232. zenbitz Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:23 AM (#5730538)
Hey I hate to interrupt the petty bickering but I learned something today.

I know how we all like to scoff at triggered snowflakes on all sides because we are rock ribbed 'merican (or British or Canadian) men.

I was completely triggered by something I saw on the internet today. And I have been on the internet since BBSs and long into USENET. And it was not even a post directed at me, it was a screen cap of some idiot salty gamer saying "you are the reason cancer cells exist". I have mentioned previously here about wife's fight against breast cancer, and she ... is not having the greatest month.

When I saw what that little pathetic rat #### wrote I was EXTREMELY emotionally compromised. It took like a full 10 minutes to come back to reality.

So just saying. We are not the robots we think we are.
   233. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:57 AM (#5730543)
Sorry to hear that, zenbitz, and hope your wife has better days ahead. Not sure there is anything that can be done about the ####### whose comment disturbed you. There have always been some who are so convinced they are right that those who disagree with them must be evil, so they see no need for even a minimum of civility, as this thread demonstrates at times. The Internet gives them a platform, and such types often lack the self-awareness to see how poorly they actually come across, but attempting to suppress them may be a cure worse than the disease, with abuse inevitable.
   234. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:35 AM (#5730551)

You don't have to buy the idea that McGahn's testimony proves Trump's innocence, but today's WaPo story doesn't jibe with earlier articles excerpted here that implied McGahn was concerned he was being set up and was at odds with Trump & others in the White House.
And? Why not assume that today's WaPo story is the one that's b.s., rather than that the original story was?
   235. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:14 AM (#5730553)
Sorry to hear that, zenbitz, and hope your wife has better days ahead.

Me, too.

It took like a full 10 minutes to come back to reality.

So just saying. We are not the robots we think we are.

Thing is, we are less than human when we are interacting with our screens. I've mentioned the bots that effectively passed the Turing test, not because the machines have advanced, but because we are regressing through our adaptation to digital reality.

We are more like robots than we think we are.

236. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:21 AM (#5730555)
What if...like...we’re all...like...you know...living in...like...,a simulation?
   237. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:22 AM (#5730556)
You're a walking zero.

I'm happy to stand with the millions of non-persons you wish to obliterate.
   238. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:26 AM (#5730557)
What if...like...we’re all...like...you know...living in...like...,a simulation?

People who experience virtual reality later cannot distinguish memories of it from memories that happened in the flesh. On the internet, individuals can be targeted with disinformation and don't realize it.

These are not idle speculations.
   239. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:29 AM (#5730558)
Far out man...but, like...what if reality is subjectively experienced through unique neural networks with distinct patternations of computational input and output based on a combination of evolutionary and epigenetic factors combined with irreproducible adaptive recruitment as a result of environmental conditions...maaan?
   240. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:33 AM (#5730559)

Not all colleges are bad.

Dear Carolina Community:

As you are probably aware, a group from among an estimated crowd of 250 protesters brought down the Confederate Monument on our campus last night.

The monument has been divisive for years, and its presence has been a source of frustration for many people not only on our campus but throughout the community.

However, last night’s actions were unlawful and dangerous, and we are very fortunate that no one was injured. The police are investigating the vandalism and assessing the full extent of the damage.

I appreciate the actions taken by the police to ensure the community’s safety and will keep you informed as additional information is available.

Sincerely,

Carol L. Folt

Some colleges are worse than others, including my alma mater. This is a university that rigged classes to support the football program, and whose current football coach dismissed concerns regarding CTE. They've had years to appropriately remove the Confederate statue but have chosen to keep this symbol of white supremacy at a main entry to campus.

The University's inaction is a national embarrassment.
   241. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:40 AM (#5730560)
what if reality is subjectively experienced through unique neural networks with distinct patternations of computational input and output based on a combination of evolutionary and epigenetic factors combined with irreproducible adaptive recruitment as a result of environmental conditions.

Facts that account for no two human beings experiencing reality in precisely the same way, but up until recently, the stuff "out there" was a constant in the equation.

I like it when you actually post substance rather than snark.
   242. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:46 AM (#5730561)
Yes but you’re a dope, so pleasing you is pretty low on my list of priorities.
   243. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:51 AM (#5730562)
Hafner looks like a long shot

I am disturbed this post wasn't about Travis Hafner.
   244. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:52 AM (#5730563)
So what is the appropriate response of the woke to this news?. I don’t want to have the wrong opinion.

South Africa begins seizing white-owned farms

...If the seizures go ahead, it would be the first time the state refuses to pay market value for land. Since the end of apartheid in 1994, the ANC has followed a "willing seller, willing buyer" process to redistribute white-owned farms to blacks.

A 2017 government audit found white people owned 72 per cent of private farmland in South Africa. According to the 2011 census, there are about 4.6 million white people in South Africa, accounting for 8.9 per cent of the population.

African National Congress spokesman Zizi Kodwa would not reveal details of the farms targeted and attempted to play down investor fears, saying the proposed seizures were "tied to addressing the injustices of the past".

"Over time I think the markets as well as investors will appreciate that what we are doing is creating policy certainty and creating the conditions for future investment," he told City Press.

On one hand you’re sticking to the WHITE DEVIL. On the other hand is seems like it’s being done to benefit unnamed capitalist investors.

Being woke is hard work, man.
   245. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 07:59 AM (#5730564)
Hopefully the land is being redistributed to the Oakland A's and Cincinnati Reds.
   246. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 08:09 AM (#5730566)
Hopefully the land is being redistributed to the Oakland A's.

I hear the Steinbrenner family is owed from years of being robbed by MLB. Reparations in the works?

So what is the appropriate response of the woke to this news?. I don’t want to have the wrong opinion.

More seriously... nah you don't care about seriously so why bother?
   247. Greg K Posted: August 21, 2018 at 08:11 AM (#5730567)

I'm pretty far from up to speed on South African politics, but it seems like this is an unfortunate consequences of the fall of Jacob Zuma's government. His impressive corruption has made "not-Zuma" a popular political platform. Which for the most part is probably good. But also seems to have justified the reversal of South African policy on land reform, which is probably not so great.

In a sense, I think it's a very similar script as North American and European politics (I guess you could add South American politics to the list too). Growing resentment against a political elite class that is viewed as corrupt, which fuels a populist movement to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
   248. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 08:44 AM (#5730568)

More seriously... nah you don't care about seriously so why bother?

Impressively Woke.
   249. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 08:48 AM (#5730569)
pleasing you is pretty low on my list of priorities

Good! One OTPer obsessed with my dick is already one too many.
   250. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 08:52 AM (#5730570)
Impressively Woke.

SNORE

C-, if I'm grading on a curve like they had to at southern universities.
   251. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 08:53 AM (#5730571)
Copying Juan?

Impressively Wack.
   252. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 08:59 AM (#5730574)
Liberal Media: Better a Space Alien Than a Democrat!

The Miami Herald is endorsing congressional candidate Bettina Rodriguez Aguilera, who claimed in a 2009 interview that she boarded a spaceship occupied by aliens when she was 7-years-old.

Aliens are kidnapping our children and you hippies still mock the idea of a Space Force? NOW do you see why PizzaGate is credible?

#Q&Juan;. Follow the Dorito crumbs.
   253. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:00 AM (#5730575)
Impressively Woke

SNORE

Hey, give him a break, dude is trying to start an argument. A boring and tedious argument he doesn't plan on actually participating in, but still he is trying.
   254. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:02 AM (#5730576)
Copying Juan?

Nice try, Miami.
   255. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:05 AM (#5730578)
Hey, give him a break, dude is trying to start an argument. A boring and tedious argument he doesn't plan on actually participating in, but still he is trying.

Oh sure, if there's one thing I'm known for around here it's never defending anything I write.
   256. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:05 AM (#5730579)
Copying Juan?

Nice try, Miami.

Concession aceptado.
   257. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:07 AM (#5730580)
Once-safe GOP seats threatened by blue wave

Republicans who represented some of the safest congressional seats in their party for years are suddenly under intense pressure in 2018, with Democratic challengers threatening to overwhelm them in suburban districts where President Donald Trump has struggled.

One of those districts belongs to Rep. Steve Chabot, an 11-term Republican who has gone years without a serious challenge in the southwestern corner of Ohio. He has been outraised — and, some Republicans say, outworked — by Democrat Aftab Pureval, the 35-year-old clerk of courts in Cincinnati’s Hamilton County, who argues that the congressman has lost touch with a diversifying, suburbanizing district changing beneath his feet.

And it is not just House Republicans feeling the heat - New Poll Shows Democrat Tony Evers 5 Points Ahead Of Walker In General Election

The poll, which was conducted by phone, skewed slightly toward Democrats, with 36 percent of respondents identifying themselves as Democratic voters. Thirty-five percent identified as independents and 29 percent as Republicans.

However, respondents in this poll were an even split in the 2016 presidential race — 45 percent said they voted for President Donald Trump and 45 percent for Hillary Clinton. Ten percent said they voted for another candidate or did not vote. That tracks closely to Wisconsin's 2016 election results, when Trump won with 47 percent of the vote to Clinton's 46 percent.

In the Senate? Well, they seem to be ignoring Mitch, so plaudits to all involved. 15 Senators Skip Votes Despite McConnell Warning

“More than a dozen senators missed Monday night votes, despite a lecture last week from leadership about skipping work during the rare August session,” The Hill reports.

“Fifteen senators — five Democrats and 10 Republicans — did not show up for two votes in the Senate.”

Makes it hard to get stuff passed when so many are off campaigning. Of course typically the Senate wouldn't be in session now, Mitch is trying to stuff things through while the GOP still has the votes, but it seems like some would rather be campaigning to save their jobs than voting.
   258. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:14 AM (#5730585)
Concession aceptado.

Copying Stretchnado XII? D- still beats an F.
   259. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:38 AM (#5730592)
Some colleges are worse than others, including my alma mater. This is a university that rigged classes to support the football program, and whose current football coach dismissed concerns regarding CTE. They've had years to appropriately remove the Confederate statue but have chosen to keep this symbol of white supremacy at a main entry to campus.
The fake classes thing really was a couple of people in a rogue department, and some people in the football program (and elsewhere) taking advantage of it. Saying the university rigged classes simply isn't accurate. The university dealt with both Silent Sam and the fake classes thing in a manner that was entirely chicken ####, but the university administration is scared to death of the state legislature, which is dominated by people who hate spending money so that people can be educated, and love them some football and Confederate statues. The administration's extreme cowardice is understandable and possibly warranted.

As for Fedora's comments on CTE, he was reacting to the decision by both of Chapel Hill's high schools to eliminate their football programs. He's ultimately a football coach thinking we should play football, and is no different than any other football coach anywhere. Let Tuscaloosa's high schools cancel their football programs and see what Nick Saban says about it. Hell, a football coach who truly believes that football inevitably causes CTE is a man who believes that he's getting a paycheck to help inflict brain injuries on kids, and is therefore a monster. I think that football, especially college football, is rotten to the core, but there's nothing special about Larry Fedora.

The other thing is that the university tried to deal with Silent Sam 15 years ago by putting up a counter monument next to it, called the Unsung Founders Memorial, dedicated to the slaves who literally built the university. It was the first attempt at something like that in the nation, and way ahead of the larger uproar over Confederate statues. But unfortunately the memorial was an absolute botch, of a much smaller scale than Silent Sam, and looking like a picnic table with some kitschy plastic Keith Haring figures built into it. A well-intentioned gesture ended up looking like something between cluelessness and an insult, and so here we are.
   260. dlf Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:41 AM (#5730594)
I have mentioned previously here about wife's fight against breast cancer, and she ... is not having the greatest month.

Seriously #### cancer. I hope for the best for your wife and family in this fight zenbitz. Not that there is a damn thing I can do, but I hope it makes things just a tiny bit easier to know that this weird community here exists and cares.
   261. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:45 AM (#5730596)
Seriously #### cancer. I hope for the best for your wife and family in this fight zenbitz. Not that there is a damn thing I can do, but I hope it makes things just a tiny bit easier to know that this weird community here exists and cares.

What dlf said better than I ever could.
   262. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:49 AM (#5730601)
The Trumpholster Circle of Life is complete: Mueller orchestrated Benghazi cover-up. All the pieces are coming together.

#Q&Juan;
   263. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5730605)
Concession aceptado.

Copying Stretchnado XII? D- still beats an F.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm sure it was a wicked zinger.
   264. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 09:56 AM (#5730607)
Sorry to hear about your wife's current condition, zenbitz. She's in my thoughts and prayers for a full and expeditious recovery. Meanwhile, hang in there.
   265. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 10:20 AM (#5730619)
At least one GOP House member is taking the possible Blue Wave seriously - GOP Lawmaker Admits He’s Trailing

Said campaign manager Carter Wrenn: “We want people to understand where we are. We don’t want people to take this election for granted. George has always won by a pretty comfortable margin. This is a completely different election.”

On the other side? Professional Women Are Coming for Trump and the GOP

The political condition of the Republican Party is not static. Their position has deteriorated steadily over the last year. At this point, one out of six Republican seats in the House of Representatives is going uncontested by the incumbent and, according to Dave Wasserman of the Cook Political Report, the pool of vulnerable GOP-held districts has nearly doubled over the last eight months.

Wasserman explains this trend in a fairly easy to understand way. The first point he makes is one I’ve been making off and on myself, which is that Trump’s strongest supporters have never liked House Republicans (or Senators, for that matter) and that they therefore cannot be counted on to show up to vote for them.

“They believed in Trump fervently, but they’ve never liked congressional Republicans at all. In fact, Trump gained ground by running against them in 2016. So why are they going to turn out this year for congressional Republicans?”

266. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 10:46 AM (#5730635)
Saying the university rigged classes simply isn't accurate.

18 years of academic fraud

Every modern American institution implements damage control to as few, relatively insignifcant people as possible, but two former football coaches knew what was happening, and any top-flight university is going to keep tabs on academic departments. In this case, you have a willingness to look away because it's football, and a kind of neglectful racism that says we don't care about African-American Studies or African American football players as long as we can claim we knew nothing.

This was the University's failure. Period. Can't say it wasn't predictable when Michael Hooker decided he wanted a perennial football power. For nothing.

Hell, a football coach who truly believes that football inevitably causes CTE is a man who believes that he's getting a paycheck to help inflict brain injuries on kids, and is therefore a monster.

Ain't that America?

Rename the place Silent Sam University and plant him atop the South Building.
   267. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM (#5730639)
Oh sure, if there's one thing I'm known for around here it's never defending anything I write.

So why the race-baiting? Did you decide to roll with the tide at Oxford, or were you already a fish in water going in? And you should know that whatever you tell yourself you're doing at Stormfront, fleas jump from dog to dog.
   268. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 10:53 AM (#5730640)
At least one GOP House member is taking the possible Blue Wave seriously - GOP Lawmaker Admits He’s Trailing

FWIW, the 538 forecast has Holding with a 90.5% chance of winning. That's the 5th safest R seat in NC (out of 13) in their forecast. I wonder how many other 538 likely R seats are in play.

edit: NC doesn't have 13 R seats. It has 13 total. It has 10 R seats, and 538 has 5 of them more vulnerable than Holding.
   269. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5730647)
I wonder how many other 538 likely R seats are in play.

Turn out is the million dollar question. I tend to think a fair number of normally safe seats will return home to the GOP as tribalism causes many current doubters to return "home", but of course those races will turn on how many of those tribal voters will bother to vote this cycle versus the other side who really want to vote.

If I could see the future I would be really really rich.
   270. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5730648)
Liberal Media: Better a Space Alien Than a Democrat!

The Miami Herald is endorsing congressional candidate Bettina Rodriguez Aguilera, who claimed in a 2009 interview that she boarded a spaceship occupied by aliens when she was 7-years-old.
Well, better her than the other Republican, since it's a recommendation in a primary. Sounds like her primary opponent was likewise terrible.
From 1992 through 1998, Bruno Barreiro served in the Florida House of Representatives. From 1998 until this year, he was a Miami-Dade County commissioner.

In that time, Barreiro did such a remarkably poor job, was so universally reviled, and was so routinely ridiculed for being a dunce that the Miami Herald this weekend declined to endorse him in his race for central Miami's open congressional seat. Instead, the Herald delivered ol' Bruno arguably the saddest blow in his political career: Instead of endorsing him, the newspaper's editorial board selected Bettina Rodriguez Aguilera, a candidate who stands by her claims that she was once abducted by aliens.
There was a separate endorsement of a candidate in the Democratic primary.
   271. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5730651)

So why the race-baiting?

What race-baiting? It's a legitimate question. To the Woke community, is it acceptable to expel the White Devil Colonialist and return the land to the indigenous majority? Or does this constitute oppression of a racial minority for the benefit of capitalist exploitation?

Did you decide to roll with the tide at Oxford, or were you already a fish in water going in?

Oxford was beautiful. I'll overlook your Christianist fish imagery and assume that despite your Wokeness you're still deeply entranced with you Goy Privilege and unaware of such microaggressions against historically disadvantaged minorities.

And you should know that whatever you tell yourself you're doing at Stormfront, fleas jump from dog to dog.

I'm amusing myself at the expense of the soft-headed and weak minded. Like I do with you and whatever persona gimmick you're working on any given account. You're saying if I keep this up long enough I'll be chanting "Free Mumia" in the streets and vandalizing statues of Thomas Jefferson?

Far out man, you're blowing my mind.
   272. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5730652)

Stupid misuse of unneeded hyphens. Boooooo.

273. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM (#5730653)
Also, I don't understand why it's trippy to critically think about the big picture of society. Saying Trump voters are solely responsible for Trump is to live in a silo.
   274. BDC Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM (#5730654)
On the all-politics-is-local front, we have a strange saga unfolding in Arlington, Texas. Citizen petitions have placed a term-limits initiative on the November ballot. At the moment, mayor and council in Arlington can serve indefinitely. The initiative seeks to limit service to six years.

If you click on that link you will see a slightly … shall we say, intense? fellow with a megaphone who is leading the initiative. I do not know him. I do not know where this initiative is coming from. I would suspect it's part of the usual grass-roots anti-tax drown-in-the-bathtub ideology. The current mayor and council have overseen a lot of new development – has anyone heard about the new domed baseball stadium they're building? – much of which is public/private in nature (downtown apartments, public library building, entertainment complex). Even the new ballpark is largely funded by use taxes on baseball fans (parking, ticket, hotel surcharges). But any tax and any public involvement is too much to bear for these folks. I think. So they want the council members' heads to roll.

So the council attempted to rush a measure through that would have replaced the six-year limit with a nine-year limit, and held an extraordinary meeting to do this, and tempers flared. The council failed, and the six-year limit will stay on the ballot. If we have to elect an all-new city council, that should be good news for Chelsea Clinton, the Alaska congresswoman, and anybody else fancying a turn in public office.
   275. BDC Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM (#5730655)
she boarded a spaceship occupied by aliens when she was 7-years-old

Well, that's proof that we need the Space Force.
   276. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5730659)
Well, better her than the other Republican, since it's a recommendation in a primary.

And hey, neither is a Nazi that we know of, so definite progress.
   277. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:20 AM (#5730661)
I'm amusing myself at the expense of the soft-headed and weak minded.

A bit of truth amidst the bullshit. Who's Mumia?
   278. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:22 AM (#5730663)

Please read 252 and pass me the Cosmic Cola. Maaaaaan.
   279. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:24 AM (#5730670)
It's a legitimate question. To the Woke community, is it acceptable to expel the White Devil Colonialist and return the land to the indigenous majority? Or does this constitute oppression of a racial minority for the benefit of capitalist exploitation?

I think it fascinating you only care what the (your term) "Woke" community thinks is OK. Do you have an opinion? One of the signs you don't really want to discuss is that you are not offering your own opinion, but rather just fishing for outrage.

How about you express what you think, based on your encyclopedic knowledge of the local politics and history. I will gladly discuss your opinion on the matter. I don't have a handle on who or what "woke" people are or what their opinions might be and I doubt anyone else here does either, especially since no one here can credibly speak for a group of other people. They do much better speaking for themselves (as scary as some here might find it to speak for themselves, offering up their own opinion).
   280. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:24 AM (#5730672)
Perhaps we could outsource Space Force to the aliens. She could be our liaison.
   281. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5730684)
Sorry to hear that, zenbitz, and hope your wife has better days ahead. Not sure there is anything that can be done about the ####### whose comment disturbed you. There have always been some who are so convinced they are right that those who disagree with them must be evil, so they see no need for even a minimum of civility, as this thread demonstrates at times. The Internet gives them a platform, and such types often lack the self-awareness to see how poorly they actually come across, but attempting to suppress them may be a cure worse than the disease, with abuse inevitable.

Great supportive comment or...greatest? Compassionate conservatism is back, baby!!
   282. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5730689)
I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm sure it was a wicked zinger.

I'm not the one who starting speaking Spanish. Try talking American!
   283. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5730702)
Maybe one of our lawyers can help here. I'm listening to a discussion on the Manafort trial and jury deliberations. So there are 18 counts and the prosecution presented 370 different pieces of evidence. Apparently the jury asked the judge to provide them with a summary of which pieces of evidence went with which count. The judge refused. My question is why would he not provide that information?
   284. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:04 PM (#5730709)
US inmates stage nationwide prison labor strike over 'modern slavery'

On Tuesday, America’s vast army of incarcerated men and women – at 2.3m of them they form by far the largest imprisoned population in the world – will brace itself for what has the potential to be the largest prison strike in US history.

Nineteen days of peaceful protest are planned across the nation, organised largely by prisoners themselves.

The strike is being spearheaded by incarcerated members of Jailhouse Lawyers Speak, a group of prisoners providing mutual help and legal training to other inmates. A few days ago they released an anonymous statement setting out their reasons for calling a protest that carries the risk of substantial penal retaliation.

“Fundamentally, it’s a human rights issue,” the statement said. “Prisoners understand they are being treated as animals. Prisons in America are a warzone. Every day prisoners are harmed due to conditions of confinement. For some of us it’s as if we are already dead, so what do we have to lose?”

List of demands here.
   285. McCoy Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5730712)
My question is why would he not provide that information?

How would you do that? Judges don't like to give really specific answers to juror questions. They want the jury to figure it out on their own. They don't want it to be said or argued that the Judge biased the decision by answer a question with his opinion.

I remember when I was on a jury our group asked a question about one of the charges and a better meaning of it and the judge sent back the charge as written down in our instructions. He wasn't going to tell us this is what you need to look for and you need to decide if it meets this threshold.
   286. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM (#5730713)
Apparently the Manafort jury is hung up one 1 count. Analysis seems to think that indicates bad news for Manafort. As in if they acquitted on the other 17 they would likely just acquit on the last one and call it a day.
   287. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:13 PM (#5730718)
@andrewkirell:
This site is total garbage but every now and then a dumbass steps on a rake by showing the world his search-based targeted ads, thinking he’s owning someone else. And that makes it all worthwhile.

Someone on the extreme right doesn't understand internet ads? Why does that sound so familiar? Hmm.
   288. McCoy Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:15 PM (#5730719)
Apparently the Manafort jury is hung up one 1 count. Analysis seems to think that indicates bad news for Manafort. As in if they acquitted on the other 17 they would likely just acquit on the last one and call it a day.

Tell that to Barry Bonds.
   289. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:15 PM (#5730720)

In other Trump legal news - NBC says that Cohen is working towards a plea deal that may also happen today...
   290. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:23 PM (#5730725)
Tell that to Barry Bonds.

Not the same thing. In the Bonds trial, the jury was hung on all but one count.
   291. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:33 PM (#5730728)
Yglesias:
Some Antifa geniuses beat up a Bernie Sanders voter counter-protesting the alt-right rally in Portland because he was holding an American flag.
Ah, but are there good people on their side?

Barro's response:
One thing about the ethics of punching fascists is people are likely to be poor judges of who’s a fascist.
   292. zenbitz Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:39 PM (#5730733)
thanks for the support dudes.

293. zenbitz Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:41 PM (#5730735)
One thing about the ethics of punching fascists is people are likely to be poor judges of who’s a fascist.

This is a cogent point. Also punching fascists is like eating potato chips...

On the other hand... extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
   294. Srul Itza Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5730738)
So why are they going to turn out this year for congressional Republicans?”

Because Trump asks them to. The Master commands, and the Followers obey.
   295. Srul Itza Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5730741)
To the Woke community

I eagerly anticipate the day when "Woke" is consigned to the dustbin of buzzword history. Seriously stupid word.
   296. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5730743)
Because Trump asks them to. The Master commands, and the Followers obey.

When life hands you lemons, lemonade is the best you can do. Of course Trump also told them not to worry and that there is going to be a red wave, and he has spent much of his time in office fighting with various Republicans. If I were a GOP Congress Critter I am not sure how much I would be willing to count on Trump being consistent in talking up my candidacy to the voters.
   297. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:51 PM (#5730745)
I eagerly anticipate the day when "Woke" is consigned to the dustbin of buzzword history. Seriously stupid word.

Unlike slang from previous generations which was bitchin', right dude?

EDIT: To be clear, it is a dumb word, but dumb in all the same ways previous generations slang was also dumb.

298. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 21, 2018 at 12:55 PM (#5730749)
WOKE AF.

t the Sydney writers’ festival on Sunday, editor of Djed Press, Hella Ibrahim, relayed the final minutes of a panel on diversity featuring writers from the western Sydney Sweatshop collective. One of the panellists, Winnie Dunn, in answering a question about the harm caused by good intentions, had used the words “white people” and “shit” in the same sentence. This raised the ire of a self-identified white woman in the audience who interrogated the panellists as to “what they think they have to gain” by insulting people who “want to read their stories.”

In other words, the woman saw a personal attack where there wasn’t one and decided to remind the panellists that as a member of the white majority she ultimately has their fate in her hands.

“I walked out of that panel frustrated,” Ibrahim wrote. “Because yet again, a good convo was derailed, white people centred themselves, and a POC panel was told to police it’s [sic] tone to make their message palatable to a white audience.”

Or not enough, apparently.

A rebuttal, with an important clarification -- the sentence used was indeed "white people are ####\".

The whole anecdote reflects this. If I tell you “you are shit”, you should sit there and take it. If you object to being told you are ####, you are being hysterical and vindictive, and you are exercising your power over me by objecting. Because you are white, the normal positions of who is being obnoxious and who is not in this situation can be reversed. So it might seems that I am attacking you, but in fact the reverse is true. It could not be otherwise.

Once you understand the “Whiteness as Pathology” approach, it comes as an immense relief. The academic language of Social Justice can be refined, impenetrable and intimidating. You thought you were looking at a complicated device whose workings were a mystery to you; but it’s a Rube Goldberg Machine. You don’t need to understand, because there isn’t anything to understand. What we have here is not a system for critically interpreting the world, but a revealed truth around which all other truths be arranged even if it means turning them upside down. It’s a magic mirror.

299. . Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:09 PM (#5730756)
All the stuff in 298 is, is a struggle for power. No more, no less.
   300. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5730760)
Flip.
Page 3 of 23 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.