Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 20, 2018

OTP 2018 August 20: Sick of divisive summertime politics? Baseball’s thrills offer an escape

First, things starting with the letter “L” come to mind when thinking about this summer.
“The Summer of Lying?” Nah, let’s keep this positive.

It seems like certain politicians and college coaches have been competing in a never-ending race to the bottom of the dishonesty cesspool.
“The Summer of LeBron?” Maybe. But no, LeBron James doesn’t need any more attention.

But his decision to build a new public school for at-risk kids in his hometown of Akron, Ohio, and cover all student costs should be commended by everyone, including the U.S. Secretary of Education and her boss.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 20, 2018 at 07:45 AM | 2230 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 23 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   301. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5730761)
The current mayor and council have overseen a lot of new development – has anyone heard about the new domed baseball stadium they're building?

Last night's Mariners game was played amid considerable haze & smoke from wildfires. They didn't close the dome because it's open at the outfield end and they thought it'd be worse to have the smoke trapped under the dome. I sure hope you're not getting one of those cheapie-domes that doesn't really protect against all the threats from the great outdoors. Maybe you should call the architects to make sure they're doing it right? It'd be a shame if they had to replace the BDC Dome with a fully-enclosed smoke-resistant domed facility after but a few years use.
   302. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:20 PM (#5730767)
At least one GOP House member is taking the possible Blue Wave seriously - GOP Lawmaker Admits He’s Trailing

The statement was made in a fundraising letter. It's pretty normal for politicians of both parties to claim that they are unlikely to prevail unless you give them money (now!). As others have noted, Congressman Holding remains a heavy favorite.
   303. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:29 PM (#5730778)
You don't have to buy the idea that McGahn's testimony proves Trump's innocence, but today's WaPo story doesn't jibe with earlier articles excerpted here that implied McGahn was concerned he was being set up and was at odds with Trump & others in the White House.

And? Why not assume that today's WaPo story is the one that's b.s., rather than that the original story was?

The WaPo article had a clear on-the-record statement from McGahn's attorney. The NYT story was based on unidentified, who-knows-what, trust-us, sources-say, speculation. Believe whichever one you want.
   304. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5730782)
Five years ago today...

(GRAPHIC IMAGE)
   305. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5730783)
The statement was made in a fundraising letter.

Sure. Do you want to bet if the past content of his fundraising letters included poll results showing him trailing?

I haven't looked, but I suspect not. I could be wrong though.
   306. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:35 PM (#5730784)
Unlike slang from previous generations which was #######', right dude?
Hey, I still use #######'! I won't touch "hella" though, that's just lame.
   307. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:35 PM (#5730785)
So I just went through 538's election forecast map. There are currently no races rated "lean D" or worse that have a D incumbent. That is to say, all lean D, tossup, or lean R or better are either open races, or have a R incumbent. That is...something. There is at least one solid D in a district with a retiring R incumbent (FL-27, the one with the alien abducted candidate).
   308. Traderdave Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:37 PM (#5730787)
The most irritating aspect of "Woke" is that it's most frequently used in first person to loudly advertise the speaker's moral superiority over others.
   309. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5730788)
Wasserman explains this trend in a fairly easy to understand way. The first point he makes is one I’ve been making off and on myself, which is that Trump’s strongest supporters have never liked House Republicans (or Senators, for that matter) and that they therefore cannot be counted on to show up to vote for them.
“They believed in Trump fervently, but they’ve never liked congressional Republicans at all. In fact, Trump gained ground by running against them in 2016. So why are they going to turn out this year for congressional Republicans?”
That may be true for what qualifies as "Trump's strongest supporters," but as I pointed out many times, Trump generally ran significantly behind other Republican candidates on the ballot in 2016.
   310. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5730790)
Sure. Do you want to bet if the past content of his fundraising letters included poll results showing him trailing?
I am on the receiving end of gobs of candidate fundraising e-mails and snail mail and yes, the sky is always falling. In fairness, I usually hit delete or rip up the letter before learning whether the candidate specifically claims to be *behind* in the polls.
   311. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5730791)
I am on the receiving end of gobs of candidate fundraising e-mails and snail mail and yes, the sky is always falling. In fairness, I usually hit delete or rip up the letter before learning whether the candidate specifically claims to be *behind* in the polls.

The good news is that many Republicans will be able to have polls which show them behind to help fuel their fundraising pitches this cycle. Basically a win-win as far as I am concerned.
   312. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5730793)
And? Why not assume that today's WaPo story is the one that's b.s., rather than that the original story was?

The WaPo article had a clear on-the-record statement from McGahn's attorney. The NYT story was based on unidentified, who-knows-what, trust-us, sources-say, speculation. Believe whichever one you want.
I will, thanks.

(Hint: it's not the statement by the person who is professionally obligated to say helpful things about his client.)
   313. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5730795)
That may be true for what qualifies as "Trump's strongest supporters," but as I pointed out many times, Trump generally ran significantly behind other Republican candidates on the ballot in 2016.

Which doesn't guarantee much of anything in this cycle. One of the joys of elections is that each one is its own special flower. :)
   314. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5730798)
@vermontgmg:
THREAD: I want to take a moment to elaborate why we should be so concerned that Jim Clapper, John Brennan, Admiral McRaven, Mike Hayden, and other officials feel it necessary to speak out against Trump:

1) Lost amid the controversy last week about Trump yanking Brennan's security clearance is just how unusual it is for any of these officials to be speaking publicly—and that fact alone should be cause for concern....

2) This is no ordinary political criticism. Do not fall into Trump's trap that this is just more of the same, more partisan sniping from the Swamp from swamp creatures....

3) These officials are not—repeat not—monetizing their security clearances by being on cable TV. In fact, having covered many of these officials for years, I can tell you that they would prefer to be doing anything but being on TV.

4) What they are doing is offering the clearest warning they can, speaking—as intel officials are supposed to do—truth to power, telling hard truths, that America faces a dire situation.

5) I spent months profiling Jim Clapper when he was DNI; back then, he went out of his way to say nothing, to avoid controversy, to eschew politics, to focus on the work before him.

6) All of them would have preferred to sit on the sidelines of politics. They spent their careers avoiding it and would prefer to remain off the public radar.

7) All Clapper wanted to do when he left office was slip quietly into the night and clean out his basement. He'd been retired before—for six years—and never did TV commentary or cable news before. But those were "normal" years, under Clinton and W.

8) Altogether, Clapper spent nearly 50 years in public service. Hayden did about 40 years. McRaven 36. Brennan too, more than 30. These are not partisan hacks. They don't scare easily. They don't cry wolf.

8) All of them were trained to keep quiet on politics. So the fact that they're not silent, that all of them—all of them—are screaming from the rooftops about Trump's threats to our country, our rule of law, our democratic institutions, should chill us.

9) I was there last summer at @aspensecurity as Clapper and Brennan let loose on Trump. I was gobsmacked. I had read every word Jim Clapper has said in public in a decade. I had never imagined I'd hear him speak as ominously and fearfully as he did.

10) I remain stunned by the words and warning that come from Brennan, Clapper, Hayden, McRaven, and others today.

11) They are telling us this is a dark and dangerous time. And they have spent their lives, devoted their entire careers, to protecting the country from just these sorts of events overseas. That they're warning us we're under threat at *home*. That's a warning worth listening to.

Persuasive, until one notices that this has the stink of Fusion GPS written all over it.
   315. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5730801)
Makes it hard to get stuff passed when so many are off campaigning.

Doesn't look like a real problem so far. The Senate voted on cloture & confirmed two 4th Circuit Judges, and passed two amendments to appropriations bills (both 85-0), thus far in the cancelled recess. Today, the Senate is considering the Defense Department appropriations bill. It's unclear how ambitious a schedule was ever planned, or whether McConnell will rope in the stragglers this week or next, but I believe there are lots of pending measures that can be approved without all the votes coming from the GOP side. Clearing them out will free up floor time for potentially more controversial measures later, and on some of them the clear GOP preference is to have them voted on closer to the election, in the belief that Nay votes will harm Democratic incumbents, especially in Red States.
   316. zenbitz Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5730803)
The most irritating aspect HUMAN SPEECH that it's most frequently used ... to loudly advertise the speaker's moral superiority over others.

FTFY

Also "people are ####\" is a reasonably true statement.
   317. zenbitz Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5730805)
Persuasive, until one notices that this has the stink of Fusion GPS written all over it.

Seriously. Those in the SWAMP know that the DRAINER IN CHIEF is coming for them, next!!!
   318. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 01:59 PM (#5730809)
(Hint: it's not the statement by the person who is professionally obligated to say helpful things about his client.)

I think that the most amusing part of the Trump Adminibomination is that all the lawyers have lawyers for their lawyers.
   319. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5730810)
Hot Wheeling, #281:
Great supportive comment or...greatest? Compassionate conservatism is back, baby!!

Yankee Clapper writing about "no need for even a minimum of civility, as this thread demonstrates at times" and "such types [who] often lack the self-awareness to see how poorly they actually come across" just a few hours after Clapper had falsely and incompetently attacked Zonk for condoning gay-bashing? And, when caught, blaming Zonk for Clapper's own never-to-be-acknowledged fuck-up? This is part of what makes OTP swampy and special.
   320. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5730815)
100% of readers will find 50% to like in this article: The Texas Tribune on the one hand and the other hand of a losing Beto O'Rourke Senate campaign in Texas:
U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke's campaign for U.S. Senate has caught so much fire throughout the state that the new favorite betting game in Texas politics is “How close can he get to Ted Cruz in November?”

The implication in the question's phrasing is that O'Rourke's loss remains a given. .........Texas has not elected a Democrat statewide in over 20 years. An informal round of interviews with well over a dozen political players involved in Texas and national politics suggests that Cruz is expected to extend that streak with a re-election victory in the high single digits. .......[But] how this very strange match up of Cruz, a former GOP presidential runner-up, against O'Rourke, a rank-and-file congressman turned political sensation, shakes out could set the trajectory of the next decade in Texas politics.

..........“The biggest challenge I have in this race ... is complacency,” Cruz said Saturday at a conservative conference in Austin. “People say all the time, ‘Oh, come on, it’s a Texas re-elect. How could you possibly lose?’ Well, in an ordinary cycle, that might be true. But this is not an ordinary cycle." O'Rourke's campaign, meanwhile, set an ambitious goal of raising $1 million over the weekend to help counter Cruz's attack, and easily blew past that target, announcing Monday morning it had raised more than $1.25 million through more than 30,000 donations.

.........So what would a moral victory be, if O’Rourke is unable to close the deal outright? Operatives from both parties suggest a 5- to 6-point spread — or smaller — could send a shockwave through Texas politics. Such a margin could compel national Democrats to start making serious investments in the state and force local Republicans to re-examine how their own party practices politics going forward.

But that kind of O'Rourke performance could also bear more immediate consequences, potentially scrambling the outcomes of races for other offices this fall. .....One increasing point of alarm for Republicans is what campaign strategists are seeing when they test down-ballot races. .......Sources from both parties say some polls show Cruz underperforming in some state legislative and congressional races — particularly in urban areas. In effect, O’Rourke could come up short but turn out enough voters in the right communities to push Democrats over the line in races for the Legislature and U.S. House.

..............Ironically, those most wary of this chatter about O'Rourke's potential are some of his fellow Democrats. Since Republicans took control of the state government in the 1990s, a new statewide Democratic candidate has burst onto the scene every few years, drawing the mantle of the party's new great hope. And repeatedly, that candidate has come up far short.

........[The] Republican worldview [is that] these two Senate candidates are too unique and, with Donald Trump in the Oval Office, the times are too tumultuous to extrapolate any grand prognostications of the future of Texas politics. Cruz is a uniquely polarizing force in state politics, while O’Rourke has proven so far to be a Democrat with rare charisma. A better barometer, these Republicans argue, is how Cornyn performs in his widely expected bid for re-election in 2020. And even if O’Rourke pulls off an historic upset, many caution against any sweeping conclusions that Texas will become a central battleground in national politics. .......[Jason Stanford, a former Democratic consultant] said, "The only winning is winning."
   321. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5730816)
   322. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5730818)
Does any of this get us closer to the day libs stop talking about Russiagate all the time?
   323. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5730820)
I'm led to believe that this is not parody - Healthline Says Using The Term 'Vagina' Is Not Gender Inclusive:
Healthline has claimed health disparities and higher rates of HIV and STIs observed in LGBTQIA communities are due to discrimination in the sex ed world. So, the California based health information provider has adopted the gender-inclusive term “front hole” in place of the medical term, “vagina” in their latest LGBTQIA safe sex guide.

“For the purpose of this guide, we’ll refer to the vagina as the ‘front hole’ instead of solely using the medical term ‘vagina,'” the document explains. “This is gender-inclusive language that’s considerate of the fact that some trans people don’t identify with the labels the medical community attaches to their genitals.”

Saw this described as "an anti-feminist outrage", might not catch on.
   324. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5730825)
323-But that seems weird and makes me feel uncomfortable so it is therefore wrong!
   325. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5730829)
Cohen plea deal seems all but certain now.

Appearance scheduled for 4 PM.

Uncertainty as to whether he's actually flipping and cooperating fully or just giving up the game on the alleged charges he faces.

The BEST people, everyone... best.
   326. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5730831)
@vermontgmg:
Thanks. I needed a LOL moment today.

The Guardian's Trevor Trimm, 31 July 2014:
As reports emerged Thursday that an internal investigation by the Central Intelligence Agency’s inspector general found that the CIA “improperly” spied on US Senate staffers when researching the CIA’s dark history of torture, it was hard to conclude anything but the obvious: John Brennan blatantly lied to the American public. Again.

“The facts will come out,” Brennan told NBC News in March after Senator Dianne Feinstein issued a blistering condemnation of the CIA on the Senate floor, accusing his agency of hacking into the computers used by her intelligence committee’s staffers. “Let me assure you the CIA was in no way spying on [the committee] or the Senate,” he said.

After the CIA inspector general’s report completely contradicted Brennan’s statements, it now appears Brennan was forced to privately apologize to intelligence committee chairs in a “tense” meeting earlier this week. Other Senators on Thursday pushed for Brennan to publicly apologize and called for an independent investigation. Sen. Ron Wyden said it well:

.@CIA broke into Senate computer files. Then tried to have Senate staff prosecuted. Absolutely unacceptable in a democracy.

But the director of the CIA – and the architect of America’s drone program, who will be all but defending torture for the next several weeks – should do more than that. Apologies aren’t enough: John Brennan should resign.

Senator Ron Wyden, 17 November 2016:
“During Director Clapper’s tenure, senior intelligence officials engaged in a deception spree regarding mass surveillance. Top officials, officials who reported to Director Clapper, repeatedly misled the American people and even lied to them.

In 2012 you saw the Director of the NSA make statements like ‘we don’t hold data on US citizens’ and ‘the story that we have dossiers on millions or hundreds of millions of people is absolutely false.’ These statements deceived the American public in order to conceal mass surveillance, and when Senator Mark Udall and I tried to get the NSA Director to correct the record, he declined to do so.

After the NSA Director declined to correct these statements, I put the question to the Director of National Intelligence in March 2013. I wouldn’t have been doing my job if I hadn’t asked that question. My staff and I spent weeks preparing it, and I had my staff send him the question in advance so that he would be prepared to answer it.

Director Clapper famously gave an untrue answer to that question. So I had my intelligence staffer call his office afterward and ask them to correct the record. The Director’s office refused to correct the record. Regardless of what was going through the director’s head when he testified, failing to correct the record was a deliberate decision to lie to the American people about what their government was doing. And within a few months, of course, the truth came out.

And as a reminder: Both (the other) Clapper and Brennan now have sweet cable news gigs. The notion that they wanted nothing to do with the spotlight is totally farcical.
   327. BrianBrianson Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5730832)
The most irritating aspect of "Woke" is that it's most frequently used in first person to loudly advertise the speaker's moral superiority over others.

Yeah, but that's why you're supposed to use it in a mocking fashion. It's no different than with the Fascists - they want to get under your skin, make you morally outraged.

They don't want to be mocked.

So choose wisely.
   328. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5730836)

How many "clear on-the-record statement[s]" have we had from Trump? He issues plenty of those each and every day. And how many of them have proven to be more trustworthy than most of those "unidentified, who-knows-what, trust-us, sources-say" stories that we've seen in the mainstream media?

Again, I'm not claiming that this particular story is true, but the idea that anything coming out of Trump's HQ is inherently trustworthy just flies in the face of all known precedent.
   329. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5730841)
Further update on Cohen -
ABC now reporting that the plea deal is done...
Sez who?
   330. BrianBrianson Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5730843)
Ultimately, almost every time someone says "vagina" they mean "vulva", so it's hard to defend that people have been using it right.
   331. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5730846)
You don't have to buy the idea that McGahn's testimony proves Trump's innocence

Thirty hours of testimony over nine months for McGahn to say "Mr. Trump did nothing wrong"?

That makes Reverend Jim's written driving test on "Taxi" look like one of those Federal Express speed talking commercials.
   332. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5730848)
Trumpkin legal news comes in threes -- and I wouldn't want to miss this one because it's juannity's favorite breadcrumb - but in their regularly scheduled update, Mueller has once again said that they're not ready to present sentencing recommendations on Flynn because of the "ongoing status of the investigation".

333. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5730852)
Interesting...

Karen Travers
‏Verified account @karentravers
56m56 minutes ago

NEW: @ABC live on air now...former Trump attorney Michael Cohen reaches plea deal on campaign finance violations, bank fraud and tax evasion.

334. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5730854)
Facebook To Remove Over 5,000 Discrimatory Ad Targeting Options:
Facebook announced on Tuesday that it’s removing more than 5,000 ad targeting options in an effort to reduce the potential for discrimination on its platform. In the fall, after the options are removed, advertisers will no longer be able to exclude certain religions and races in their targeted ads on Facebook.

The buried lede in the 5th paragraph is that this action only came after the Trump Administration sued Facebook for violating the Fair Housing Act. One wonders why nothing was done while Obama was in office. Well, not really, the extensive political contributions and frequent official interactions provide an obvious answer.
   335. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5730855)
Shorter Clapper: "Squirrel!!!"
   336. Greg K Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5730858)
Facebook announced on Tuesday that it’s removing more than 5,000 ad targeting options in an effort to reduce the potential for discrimination on its platform. In the fall, after the options are removed, advertisers will no longer be able to exclude certain religions and races in their targeted ads on Facebook.

Uh oh. I've been keeping my podcast civil by excluding Presbyterians from the facebook ads. Now the listening community will surely follow England into religious civil war.
   337. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5730860)

Indeed.

I expect to be seeing many stories on prospective Democratic dogcatcher candidates in Oklahoma, Google search-tuning efforts around words like 'vagina', and the happenings with Rand Paul's neighbors.

Pace yourself, Clapper - you're not a young man anymore.
   338. BrianBrianson Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5730863)
Thirty hours of testimony over nine months for McGahn to say "Mr. Trump did nothing wrong"?

You can't really discount the possibility that Don Sr. did nothing wrong, and is essentially a patsy. Partisan blindness makes people assume Trump must be the one targetted. But it's quite possible he's being played by the real villain of the piece. Maybe it's Jared? *shrug*
   339. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5730865)

Longer Shredder: "We should only discuss topics that reflect unfavorably on Republicans or make Democrats look good."
   340. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5730867)
New poll out for the New Mexico Senate race, and the good news is that the Republican candidate has a double-digit lead.

The bad news is that it's a double-digit lead over the number zero. He's at 11%.
   341. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:55 PM (#5730868)
The buried lede in the 5th paragraph is that this action only came after the Trump Administration sued Facebook for violating the Fair Housing Act. One wonders why nothing was done while Obama was in office. Well, not really, the extensive political contributions and frequent official interactions provide an obvious answer.

Trump, of course, has lots of experience with Fair Housing violations. Set a thief to catch a thief, as they say!
   342. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5730870)

That's likely a function of Mueller's team wanting to know details of numerous meetings. Suggesting the length of the interviews indicates McGahn's testimony was unfavorable to Trump - which McGahn denies - is the ultimate in wishful thinking.
   343. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5730873)
Longer Shredder: "We should only discuss topics that reflect unfavorably on Republicans or make Democrats look good."
Also, #evergreen.
   344. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5730877)
“They’re Squeezing Don Jr. Right Now”: As the Mueller Siege Tightens, Trump’s Twitter Rage Crests

White House counsel Don McGahn’s interviews with Mueller have rattled Trump to his core. “Total meltdown,” one outside adviser said of his mood, while a Republican ally described him as “extremely frustrated.”

n recent weeks, Donald Trump has privately expressed doubts about White House lawyer Don McGahn’s loyalty. Trump has vented to aides that McGahn doesn’t support the House Freedom Caucus’s quixotic campaign to impeach Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein—a bank shot that would leave Robert Mueller unprotected. McGahn has also clashed with Trump’s personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, whom one Republican said McGahn “hates with the intensity of 1,000 burning suns.” There has been talk of Trump replacing McGahn with his outside lawyer Emmet Flood.

But The New York Times’ revelation that McGahn had spoken for more than 30 hours with Mueller’s investigators has rattled Trump and the West Wing to the core, according to three of Trump’s outside advisers, causing Trump to ratchet up his Twitter war on Mueller to new heights. Over the weekend, Jared Kushner described Trump’s mood as “rip-####,” according to one of the advisers. “Total meltdown” was how another adviser put it. “He’s extremely frustrated,” a Republican close to the White House said.

Since news broke of McGahn’s extensive cooperation with Mueller, Trump has been lashing out on Twitter. “He’s got to frame the narrative. He thinks the media is like a shark: you’re either feeding it or it eats you,” one Republican close to the White House said. Privately, Trump blames his precarious position on the people who work for him. Trump’s fury at Attorney General Jeff Sessions, already raging, has been stoked thanks to Sessions’s refusal to resign after months of public abuse. “You can’t talk to Trump without him bringing up Sessions,” one adviser said.

Trump’s frustration with Sessions has even caused him to turn on Giuliani. Over the weekend, Trump blamed Giuliani for the entire Russia probe. According to a person to whom the conversation was described, Trump loudly said to his lawyer: “It’s your fault! I offered you attorney general, but you insisted on being secretary of state. Had I picked you none of this would be happening.” (The White House declined to comment.)

345. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5730879)
In the bungle, the blighted bungle
the liars sleep with fright
In the bungle, the race riot bungle
the liars sleep with fright....
   346. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5730880)
Clapper, #342:
That's likely a function of Mueller's team wanting to know details of numerous meetings. Suggesting the length of the interviews indicates McGahn's testimony was unfavorable to Trump - which McGahn denies - is the ultimate in wishful thinking.

Thirty hours of McGahn testimony that is widely reported to have thrown the White House into a panic: the ultimate in wishful thinking.

Democratic Senators poised to lose their reelections because of their vote on Brett Kavanaugh: tee hee hee, sucks to be them!

A very temporary 0.3% dip in the House generic ballot: WOOOOO!!! IT'S PARTY TIME!!!

Rep. Paul Ryan: Speaker for Life.

I'll take your valuable down-the-middle analysis under serious consideration, Clap.
   347. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:09 PM (#5730881)

As my buddy Brian points out, it's used here exclusively to mock people who raise issues good white people don't want to hear... and if that doesn't work, just call them fascists to once and all push them from good conversation by good white people.

At OTP, how many of us aren't male and of European descent, and how does that channel our discussions?

Not that I expect anything more than 'shut up hippie' to that question.
   348. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5730885)
“They’re Squeezing Don Jr. Right Now”: As the Mueller Siege Tightens, Trump’s Twitter Rage Crests
I will say that Gabriel Sherman impressed with his Ailes pieces. OTOH, is the NY-based journalist relying on Steve Bannon as a source? Because this quote kinda sounds like him:
You have to understand McGahn kept notes on every single meeting with Trump,” one former West Wing official said. “There’s no way this guy is going to protect him.”
   349. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5730886)
New poll out for the New Mexico Senate race, and the good news is that the Republican candidate has a double-digit lead. The bad news is that it's a double-digit lead over the number zero. He's at 11%.

Mr. Misleading Omission strikes yet again. The reason for that low number is that former two-term GOP Governor Gary Johnson, who has since become a Libertarian, announced he's running for the Senate on the Libertarian Party line, which has major-party status in New Mexico. Johnson is polling at 21%. The Democratic incumbent, who was always a pretty safe bet to win, is only at 39%, which undoubtedly accounts for Gonfalon not linking to the actual poll. When Gonfalon doesn't include a link, you can be pretty sure he's trying to pull a fast one.
   350. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5730889)
Says the guy trying to wedge what's essentially a non-partisan story into a "Screw you, libs, Trump rules!" moment. You're not exactly what the kids call "self aware", are you?
   351. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5730892)
Says the guy trying to wedge what's essentially a non-partisan story into "Screw you, libs!" moment. You're not exactly what the kids call "self aware", are you?

You've got to see the bright side of things -- at least Clapper found a squirrel that wasn't an ad somewhere.
   352. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5730893)
Mikey goes to prison, too bad so sad. Ok who's next? Paulie?
   353. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5730895)
Jared Kushner described Trump’s mood as “rip-####,”

What could the curse word be here? What weird people, who don't know how to speak (or act, or behave or read, etc.).
   354. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5730897)
What could the curse word be here? What weird people, who don't know how to speak (or act, or behave or read, etc.).

You don't know "ripshit"?
   355. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5730899)
The history of white women's tears

I trust I may be pardoned for one allusion, howbeit it is rather personal,” Carr said. “One hundred yards from where we stand, less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomattox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted and maligned a Southern lady, and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty nights afterwards slept with a double-barrel shot gun under my head."

The Guardian piece Wall comments upon at #198
   356. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5730900)

I wouldn't have know if that was a positive or a negative.
   357. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5730901)
you can be pretty sure he's trying to pull a fast one.

What is the "fast one" here?

The item he stated was factual.

Or is this one of those "The truth isn't the truth" things I've been hearing about?
   358. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:28 PM (#5730902)
You can't really discount the possibility that Don Sr. did nothing wrong, and is essentially a patsy. Partisan blindness makes people assume Trump must be the one targetted. But it's quite possible he's being played by the real villain of the piece. Maybe it's Jared? *shrug*

That would be ####### hilarious. And so after they clean out the riff raff that built con man Trump into this fake populist icon, they can tell the doofus to pack his bags and get out OR ELSE, and he can go back to his life of sexually harassing stupid women who let him grab their pussies.
   359. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5730906)
Sounds like Paulie Walnuts is guilty on 17 out of 18 counts, and they're stuck on #18.
   360. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5730913)
Fact checking Trump on child separation

Tops the cake of evildoing. Trump, Sessions, and Neilsen deserve worse than Manafort.
   361. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5730914)

Trump, of course, has lots of experience with Fair Housing violations. Set a thief to catch a thief, as they say!

If only Trump the Equal Opportunity Hater had tried to keep Jews out of his apartment buildings instead of blacks, JE would still be a #NeverTrump.
   362. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5730915)

I wouldn't have know if that was a positive or a negative.

I've only heard it used in the context of drunkenness - as in "boy, he was ripshit drunk - screaming about vikings on the moon and ####\".

Used in a teetotaler context, I imagine it's no more positive than in the contexts I've heard it.. out of control nonsensical.

I suppose for someone like Jared, you can't say "Boy, Trump was really Trumping..."
   363. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5730916)
#350 misses the point (what a surprise!) I'm mocking Facebook's attempt to put a good face on having to end its blatantly discriminatory advertising practices, which they claimed only involved "potential discrimination". That it came as a result of a Trump Administration lawsuit, and years of the Obama Administration looking the other way, seems worthy of note, too. And what is your reason for suggesting this action is unworthy of discussion? This would be an open-and-shut case if it involved newspaper ads. The only wrinkle is that technology makes it easier to do the No Blacks, No Jews, No Hispanics, or other discriminatory marketing without alerting those discriminated against that they weren't getting the ads "targeted" at the preferred audience. It's actually rather shocking that this went on as long as it did. Apparently if Shredder had his way, it'd still be going on, or at least no one would know about it.
   364. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5730917)
Tops the cake of Trumpian evildoing. Trump, Sessions, and Nillson deserve worse than Managortm

Of course he does. That's why Manafort is being thrown to the wolves before he is. Trump is going to be totally and publicly humiliated before this is over. It may kill him. If we're lucky, he'll die live on TV. Think of the ratings!!
   365. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5730918)
#350 misses the point (what a surprise!) I'm mocking Facebook's attempt to put a good face on having to end its blatantly discriminatory advertising practices, which they claimed only involved "potential discrimination". That it came as a result of a Trump Administration lawsuit, and years of the Obama Administration looking the other way, seems worthy of note, too.

FAKE NEWS!
   366. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5730919)
We can only hope.
   367. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5730920)
If only Trump the Equal Opportunity Hater had tried to keep Jews out of his apartment buildings instead of blacks, JE would still be a #NeverTrump.

Developer Trump's record is decidedly more complex, as this WSJ article from 1997 highlights.
   368. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5730921)
Random TG to Clapper, #357:
you can be pretty sure he's trying to pull a fast one.
What is the "fast one" here?

The item he stated was factual.

Or is this one of those "The truth isn't the truth" things I've been hearing about?

Cut Yankee Clapper some slack. He's having a very bad week. Don't forget, yesterday Clapper called me "typical Gonfalon, as anyone can see" because I documented and disproved his sloppy slur against Zonk. At least today he's only trying to debunk one of my jokes, rather than spin and deflect from his own careless arrogance. Onward and upward, I say!
   369. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5730922)

ALSO: we could see what Obama’s treasury secretary is up to these days.

These people are all EVIL ####### VAMPIRES.
   370. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5730923)
No comments from the Trump supporters about the Cohen plea and the likely Manafort verdict?
   371. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5730927)
Australia's White Utopia

White supremacy is real, and it stinks.
   372. BrianBrianson Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5730928)
Not that I expect anything more than 'shut up hippie' to that question.

The important thing is that you claim the moral high ground, so that anyone questioning what you're peddling is inherently immoral. ;)
   373. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5730929)
years of the Obama Administration looking the other way, seems worthy of note, too

Since Facebook is not in the habit of sharing all its practices with anyone and everyone it is hardly surprising the Obama administration didn't jump right on top of dealing with questionable Facebook practices that came to light extremely late in that administration (mostly after the 2016 election).

Of course Obama is to blame for not using his mind reading powers, future telling powers, and also for not inventing a time machine. He also didn't cure cancer or stop racism. What a loser.
   374. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5730930)
Apparently if Shredder had his way, it'd still be going on, or at least no one would know about it.
Apparently, if Clapper had his way, squirrel.
That it came as a result of a Trump Administration lawsuit, and years of the Obama Administration looking the other way, seems worthy of note, too.
By the way, did you guys hear about that Nazi we just deported? Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II really screwed the pooch on that one, didn't they?
   375. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5730934)
So this Cohen thing is pretty much out of the blue, this plea deal with jail time. No leaks.

Imagine what Mueller is up to!
   376. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5730935)
No comments from the Trump supporters about the Cohen plea and the likely Manafort verdict?
Are you kidding? What with the STOP THE PRESSES!!! news about Facebook changing their algorithm to avoid potentially discriminating advertising? I mean, I'm not in front of a TV, but I assume all of the nets have been in Special Report status for the last couple hours covering this. I was hoping to watch the Angels tonight, but I gather that Fox Sports West will be interrupting its regularly scheduled programming.
   377. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5730937)
It's not a good day to be a Dancing Monkey.
   378. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5730943)
The CNN anchors are enjoying today, you can tell, even if it's subtle giveaways, and they deserve it. Fake news. HA! Trump is scum. Trump supporters are either scum or dumb.
   379. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5730944)
PravdaFoxnews reporting Cohen to serve 3 to 5 years.

Totally normal Washington politics when the president's long time personal lawyer pleads guilty to multiple felonies. Totally normal.

The deal does not involve a cooperation agreement with federal prosecutors.
   380. zenbitz Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:03 PM (#5730945)
And as a reminder: Both (the other) Clapper and Brennan now have sweet cable news gigs. The notion that they wanted nothing to do with the spotlight is totally farcical.

I am just pretending that you posted this in year 2 of Hillary Clinton's presidency.
   381. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5730947)
So black people have been victims of housing discrimination for the entirety of our country’s existence. BIG WHOOP, can you say BORRRRRING? I don’t even know anyone who’s affected by this—none of my friends ever talk about it!

382. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5730948)
Mueller's team has been pursuing legal action against Trump associates for months. The special counsel has already secured indictments against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, who has been on trial in Virginia, where a jury is deliberating on multiple counts of bank and tax fraud. Former campaign aides Rick Gates and George Papadopoulos, as well as former national security adviser Michael Flynn, are among those who have pleaded guilty in the Mueller probe.

But Cohen’s plea brings the investigation squarely into the realm of the president’s private life and family.

Well sure it sound bad when it is all written out. (LINK) As many have said before, Trump is everything the right wing thought the Clintons were.
   383. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5730949)

As my buddy Brian points out, it's used here exclusively to mock people who raise issues good white people don't want to hear.

So what's the issue this time OJ? What's the truth whitey can't handle?

Still waiting on your very well-considered take on South Africa beginning to confiscate farmland from the white citizenry and offering it as investment property. It's an awkward situation for a cartoonish troll of a lad like yourself isn't it? Hard to thread that needle between sticking it to Whitey and rapacious capitalists exploitation on behalf of the bourgeoisie. Nobody said Wokeness was easy comrade!
   384. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:06 PM (#5730950)
ALSO: we could see what Obama’s treasury secretary is up to these days.

ALSO: I'm pretty sure that was discussed 50 days ago when it came out*, and most people agree that's pretty ####### terrible.
Rich person does shitty thing to make more money at the expense of others. Tale as old as time, but still important to point out and try to stop happening.

(If it wasn't then I've definitely seen discussion about it on many other sites, and just assumed this was one of them.)
   385. zenbitz Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:06 PM (#5730952)
Trump’s frustration with Sessions has even caused him to turn on Giuliani.

I mean, that's WHY you hire Giuliana, right, to eventually blame him for everything.
   386. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5730954)
Still waiting on your very well-considered take on South Africa beginning to confiscate farmland from the white citizenry and offering it as investment property. It's an awkward situation for a cartoonish troll of a lad like yourself isn't it? Hard to thread that needle between sticking it to Whitey and rapacious capitalists exploitation on behalf of the bourgeoisie. Nobody said Wokeness was easy comrade!

STFU. Your next genuine post on this website will be your first. You tried it in the Dusty thread as well, you can't even contain your idiocy to the OTP thread.
   387. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5730955)

Doesn't this have to be considered a massive SUCCESS for Trumpkins all over, however? (This would include the biggest Trumpkin of all as well, Trump.)
   388. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5730957)

Since Facebook is not in the habit of sharing all its practices with anyone and everyone it is hardly surprising the Obama administration didn't jump right on top of dealing with questionable Facebook practices that came to light extremely late in that administration (mostly after the 2016 election).

Of course Obama is to blame for not using his mind reading powers, future telling powers, and also for not inventing a time machine. He also didn't cure cancer or stop racism. What a loser.

You have to remember this is Clapper... he still struggles with advertisements on the web.

389. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5730958)
Still waiting on your very well-considered take on South Africa beginning to confiscate farmland from the white citizenry and offering it as investment property.

If the Steinbrenners still have their land, I'm not interested.
   390. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5730959)
384- Well can you guys keep it in mind before dusting off your “Obama didn’t do anything wrong” takes when stories like this housing discrimination suit come out? He DID do something wrong, he appointed these evil capitalist vampires to fill out his cabinet!!!

Would it have made a difference here? If he’d instead surrounded himself with non-vampires, might someone have looked into that whole “Hey man, looks like poor black people are getting ###### over here” issue? I don’t know! But it didn’t help!!!
   391. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5730960)

Here's the link to the HUD complaint. It's all pretty open and shut, IMHO. I'd excerpt it but the formatting doesn't seem to hold up well. And to correct my previous comment, the HUD complaint is the precursor to a lawsuit, not an actual federal court filing. Given how quickly Facebook announced changes to its policy, there will likely be a settlement favorable to the government, unless there is some as yet unknown provision that treats online advertisements radically differently than the printed variety.
   392. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5730962)
#379:
Foxnews reporting Cohen to serve 3 to 5 years.

Multiple reports indicate the missing word there is "yet."
   393. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5730966)
391- Much appreciated.

These Silicon Valley behemoths, they give lip service towards liberal values, but as we’ve seen time and time again, bottom line, if racism is good for their bottom line they’ll let it spread like wildfire. Just Get Those Clicks, nothing else matters.
   394. zenbitz Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:20 PM (#5730970)
White supremacy is real, and it stinks.

Maybe TGF actually moved to Australia?
   395. zenbitz Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5730971)
I like woke Clapper attacking Facebook and Obama from the left. Or is this just a singular example of the Trump Administration not screwing up?
   396. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:24 PM (#5730973)
   397. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:27 PM (#5730974)
I like woke Clapper attacking Facebook and Obama from the left. Or is this just a singular example of the Trump Administration not screwing up?

In fairness the Trump FDA guy has been far and away the best Trump appointee and one I would be happy to have been appointed by Obama. Dude has been very solid.

Admittedly, I think it is more a case of the monkey accidently writing one of the Bard's sonnets, but still credit where credit is due.

Why Scott Gottlieb is the one Trump official everybody seems to like

Nearly a year into the job, Gottlieb has won over critics and allayed many fears of the public health community. He is getting away with things like cracking down on tobacco and salt in food — moves that would have been dubbed “nanny state” in the Obama era. He’s also surprised many with a slate of evidence-based policies and policy directions, on everything from drug pricing to opioids, that both respect science and address the most pressing public health issues today.

What’s more, Gottlieb’s FDA hasn’t been beset by the scandals and ethical concerns that have plagued other agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Instead, the FDA is now widely seen as a place of stability, evidence-based decision-making, and progress.

“I think that he’s done a lot for FDA’s morale at a time like this,” said Joshua Sharfstein, an associate dean at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health and former FDA deputy commissioner.

I am sure Clapper and others will have forgotten that I praised a Trump appointment before they are done reading this post though.
   398. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5730980)

Not that I care about Michael Cohen, but that would normally suggest that either Cohen doesn't have anything useful against others, or is unwilling to roll on them. That Cohen seems to have received some leniency - only 3-5 years on what was reported as multiple counts on multiple charges - probably indicates he isn't stonewalling the Feds. Time will tell, but it's unclear that Cohen's deal will affect anyone other than himself.
   399. Laser Man Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:37 PM (#5730983)
Not that I care about Michael Cohen, but that would normally suggest that either Cohen doesn't have anything useful against others, or is unwilling to roll on them.
Two other things to consider: 1) They don't need his cooperation because they have tapes/documents that provide the information they want. 2) Even if Cohen is not talking to federal prosecutors, he could be talking to the Special Counsel.
   400. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5730984)
Flip
Page 4 of 23 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.