Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 20, 2018

OTP 2018 August 20: Sick of divisive summertime politics? Baseball’s thrills offer an escape

First, things starting with the letter “L” come to mind when thinking about this summer.
“The Summer of Lying?” Nah, let’s keep this positive.

It seems like certain politicians and college coaches have been competing in a never-ending race to the bottom of the dishonesty cesspool.
“The Summer of LeBron?” Maybe. But no, LeBron James doesn’t need any more attention.

But his decision to build a new public school for at-risk kids in his hometown of Akron, Ohio, and cover all student costs should be commended by everyone, including the U.S. Secretary of Education and her boss.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 20, 2018 at 07:45 AM | 2230 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 23 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5730985)

Not that I care about Michael Cohen

Uh-huh.

Well, technically - I'm sure you don't care about him.... but you certainly do care about what it means to your Dear Leader.
   402. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5730986)
Mistrial on 10 counts, guilty on the remaining 8 counts. So sad. Orange is the new ostrich, you piece of ####.
   403. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5730987)
STFU.

Make me.

Your next genuine post on this website will be your first.

I secretly love revenue sharing - the truth exposed.

You tried it in the Dusty thread as well

Springfield? Rhodes? Rhodes the Baseball Player? Help me out so I can see how full of crap you are.
   404. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5730988)
Manafort appears to have been found guilty on 8 counts -- mistrial on the other 10.
   405. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5730989)
The sad thing in this whole Cohen mess is the damage it's going to do to Cooley Law School's sterling reputation.
   406. dlf Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5730991)
Not *all* of DJT's appointments have been Scott Pruitts or Tom Prices, particularly a step down the prestige ladder where nebulous policies are actually put into real world actions.

I have no idea about his involvement in the Facebook complaint, but HUD's general counsel is Paul Compton. I've known Paul since he was in private practice in Birmingham where he started just a couple of years before I did. I haven't dealt with him in a decade but back then, he was very good, very ethical, very professional.

I've written here before about Pam Patenaude, HUD's Deputy Secretary and the person really running the operations while Secretary Carson makes speeches. I don't know her personally, but we have many shared contacts from her long time in the housing and housing finance world. I've never heard anyone say anything in the slightest negative about her.
   407. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5730992)
Springfield? Rhodes? Rhodes the Baseball Player? Help me out so I can see how full of crap you are.

Since you went away I've been hanging around. I've been wondering why...
   408. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5730994)
The Mueller investigation and all its satellite investigations keep racking up the wins. When Trump promised us so many wins I will admit I was skeptical, but here we are. I am not yet sick of all the winning, but Trump and the rest of the GOP he is so "ably" leading almost certainly are, so there is that.
   409. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5730995)
So Trump's personal lawyer pleads guilty to multiple tax/bank fraud charges and campaign finance charges.

Trump's former campaign chairman found guilty on 8 charges of tax and bank fraud.

Trumpkins, you may now commence your usual Dear Leader excuse-making.
   410. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5730996)
Here's the link to the HUD complaint

No pdf warning? Wow. Message board etiquette for thee but not for The Yankee Clapper, one is obligated to suppose.
   411. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5730998)
Not *all* of DJT's appointments have been Scott Pruitts or Tom Prices, particularly a step down the prestige ladder where nebulous policies are actually put into real world actions.

Absolutely. As it turns out his inability to function effectively includes occasionally and seemingly accidently* making a solid appointment to some office, where the appointee then does their job. Incompetence for the win. :)

* My assumption anyway, I could be biased though.
   412. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5730999)
Yankee Clapper, #398:
"That would normally suggest that either Cohen doesn't have anything useful against others, or is unwilling to roll on them. ...Time will tell, but it's unclear that Cohen's deal will affect anyone other than himself."

Yankee Clapper, #342:
"Suggesting the length of the interviews indicates McGahn's testimony was unfavorable to Trump - which McGahn denies - is the ultimate in wishful thinking."
   413. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5731001)
I suppose I'm pessimistic, but these are looking less and less like Trump defeats.
   414. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5731003)
Imagine, if you can, an alternate universe...

An alternate universe where President Hillary's personal lawyer just pleaded guilty to tax fraud, bank fraud, and campaign finance violations. On the same day, President Hillary's campaign chairman was found guilty on 8 counts of tax fraud and bank fraud. Imagine on that same day, her first National Security Adviser had his (or her) sentencing on a prior guilty plea postponed again.

415. -- Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5731006)
Anything new on Russian “collusion” today?
   416. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5731009)
Even if Cohen is not talking to federal prosecutors, he could be talking to the Special Counsel.

I suppose anything is possible, but it would be unusual for (1) Mueller to hand off Cohen's case to federal prosecutors in Manhattan, and (2) the Feds then to reach a plea deal without a cooperation agreement, if Mueller thought Cohen had anything useful against others, and/or was willing to talk. Look at how Manafort & Gates were treated, even though their cases also involved charges unrelated to the 2016 election.
   417. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:53 PM (#5731010)

Still no video evidence of Trump accepting pee-laden bags of rubles while he signs an affidavit admitting to his crimes, so you know - just another normal day for you Trumpkins....

Everybody is bad except your Dear Leader.
   418. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:53 PM (#5731011)
I suppose I'm pessimistic, but these are looking less and less like Trump defeats.

It is not really about defeating Trump. Honest. It is about getting to the bottom of whatever happened and seeing justice done when bad guys did bad things.

Yes it is fun to point out the amazing hypocrisy at play and point out what would be going on if the shoe were on the other foot, but honest at the base it really is about going after criminals and following the crime to wherever it leads. That is the most important part, no matter who ends up guilty or innocent.

This is not a partisan affair, or at least shouldn't be IMO.
   419. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5731013)
Manafort is looking at serious time. Like, the rest of his life in prison time.
   420. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5731014)
Nope, just business as usual.
   421. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5731015)
It's like a split screen football weekend -

At the same time Manafort is being found guilty, Cohen's plea directly and undeniably implicates Trump as a co-conspirator.

So there you go, "But there has to be a crime for impeachment!" folks... you've got your crime.
   422. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5731017)

Nope, but stay tuned, Dancing Monkey #2.
   423. manchestermets Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5731019)
I have to say, this may not be an actual Trump defeat, but it doesn't look like a yuge win either:

Cohen admits to working “at direction of the candidate” Trump and national enquirer to silence Karen McDougal. He also admits to Stormy Daniels payment that he made “with and at direction of the same candidate.”
   424. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5731020)
Hello darkness, my old friend. We've come to click on you again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdbpmeUODME
   425. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 21, 2018 at 04:59 PM (#5731022)
It is not really about defeating Trump. Honest. It is about getting to the bottom of whatever happened and seeing justice done when bad guys did bad things.

Yes it is fun to point out the amazing hypocrisy at play and point out what would be going on if the shoe were on the other foot, but honest at the base it really is about going after criminals and following the crime to wherever it leads. That is the most important part, no matter who ends up guilty or innocent.

This is not a partisan affair, or at least shouldn't be IMO.
+1 to that; for those who say HRC or Podesta or whomever should be investigated for wrongdoing, I say, go after 'em. If they're guilty, put 'em in jail.

Strange, or should I say "sad", that this sentiment isn't applied universally.
   426. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5731023)
This is easily the best day of the Trump presidency, so far.
   427. Traderdave Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5731024)
If Cohen is pleading guilty to illegal payoffs, what does that mean for the party who funded said payoff?
   428. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5731026)
Fun Bacon trivia: He's played "Jack" more often than any other character name, something like seven or nine times (depends on how you count Jacques or Jake)
   429. BrianBrianson Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5731027)
I'm happy to tilt my priors somewhat towards "Trump is an easy mark, and thus surrounded by scoundrels and grifters".

But not fearsome heavily.
   430. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5731028)

Twitter was dizzying. The verdicts/pleas came in for the two cases within minutes of each other and both involved eight guilties.

Trump has a televised rally in front of a friendly crowd where he likes to go offscript in just a couple of hours.
   431. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5731029)

There were very fine people in both cases. BOTH cases.
   432. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5731030)

Just wait until the rally starts, must watch TV imo.
   433. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5731032)
This is what the Trumpkins are reduced to:

Oh yeah, Hillary is guilty too! She's just better at getting away with it.
   434. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5731033)

Man, he was in everything.
   435. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5731034)
Before people jump to conclusions -

We don't know for certain that Michael Cohen wasn't also working for other unnamed candidates.
   436. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:09 PM (#5731035)
Time will tell, but it's unclear that Cohen's deal will affect anyone other than himself.

Dare The Yankee Clapper go against the Drudge siren??
   437. JJ1986 Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5731037)
Heh.
   438. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5731038)
Some day, if you Trumpkins ever decide to grow tired of fronting for your Dear Leader, I would honestly be interested to have you rank your "best"/"worst" days as Trumpkins.

Where does this one rank in comparison to Helsinki or hugging Kim or Very Fine People on Sides or any of the other totes awesome days?

If it were me, I'd probably say that the broader, non-Trump-defensive days when he embarrassed or harmed the country were worse... but I've never been very good at reading your mindsets, so maybe to you guys - this is worse. IDK....
   439. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5731039)
Or the saddest. I mean that unironically.

It's one thing to be a buffoon, it's another to actually break laws. Until today there was some plausible deniability (however miniscule). Now that crimes are on the table, the system is truly going to be tested.

440. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5731040)
Dare The Yankee Clapper go against the Drudge siren??

Yeah - I mean, forgive Clapper - he gets confused easily.... but I suspect he meant to apply his "SO?!?! Nothing to do with Trump!" to Manafort.

The Cohen plea sounds like the far bigger deal to Trump. Trump was directly implicated as a co-conspirator ("at the direction of a 'candidate'") in the Cohen plea.
   441. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5731041)
Twitter was dizzying. The verdicts/pleas came in for the two cases within minutes of each other and both involved eight guilties.
How did they even find time to cover Cohen and Manafort what with the "Facebook Changing its Advertising Algorithm" bombshell sucking up all the oxygen?
   442. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5731042)
Remember when you used picture-in-picture to watch two sporting events at once?

#MAGA!
   443. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5731043)
STFU.,Your next genuine post on this website will be your first

Thank you. While I'm sure we'll have many disputes goong forward, I appreciate your genuine take on stuff.

No more dealing with this hipster doofus.
   444. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:19 PM (#5731045)
If it were me, I'd probably say that the broader, non-Trump-defensive days when he embarrassed or harmed the country were worse
I'd go with January 21, 2017, when he forced Sean Spicer out there to defend "biggest inaugural crowd".

That was when any hopes that POTUS Trump would be any different from Candidate Trump were extinguished. I seem to recall a brief relapse of hope during the first SOTU speech, but that was wiped out by the next weekend, IIRC.
   445. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5731046)
No more dealing with this doofus troll.

You were so close to 'hipster doofus'!! :(
   446. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5731047)
How did they even find time to cover Cohen and Manafort what with the "Facebook Changing its Advertising Algorithm" bombshell sucking up all the oxygen?

The lead story on FoxNews.com is Mollie Tibbetts -- which would at least be a big deal on a different day (still is a big deal). The Tibbetts suspect has immigration issues, so maybe Trump will try to pivot towards that at tonight's rally.

They interviewed someone in WV with a 'Hillary for Prison' T-shirt on about today's verdicts and they said "I don't see how those have anything to do with Trump"
   447. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5731049)
Just wait until the rally starts, must watch TV imo.

I cannot watch live, and honestly I don't want to watch even two seconds, but these will be important documents in the history of Trump's rise and fall.

I can never get past the kidnapping and torture of little children.
   448. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5731050)
If it were me, I'd probably say that the broader, non-Trump-defensive days when he embarrassed or harmed the country were worse

I'd go with January 21, 2017, when he forced Sean Spicer out there to defend "biggest inaugural crowd".

I suppose you probably have to do brackets before Trumpkins could land on a "worst" day...

Bracket #1 would be the "most ridiculous and stupid" day - call it the Crowd Size Bracket.

Bracket #2 would be the illegal acts and malfeasance bracket - the Lawyer Bracket

Bracket #3 would be the damage to America bracket - call it the Putin Says He Didn't Do It Bracket

Bracket #4 would be the personal shitbag bracket - obviously, the Grab 'Em By the ##### Bracket

So.... have at it, Trumpkins. Nominate your entries to each bracket and then do the voting.
   449. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5731051)
So.... have at it, Trumpkins. Nominate your entries to each bracket and then do the voting.

Are Trump's golf buddies still running the VA from Mar-A-Lago? Last I heard it was going on, but there was too much other stuff going on for anyone to do anything about it. Still happening?
   450. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5731052)

You were so close

Fixed!

I recognize more than a little of my long history here in that behavior. I no longer want to be that guy, though my know-it-all's pretty ingrained over a lifetime.

Thanks for giving me ####.
   451. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:31 PM (#5731053)

The Russian chief of intelligence once again denied any collusion, and cited none other than The United States as his source.
   452. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5731054)
Illegal Immigrant charged with first-degree murder in Mollie Tibbetts' death:
MONTEZUMA, Iowa — A suspect is in custody in connection with the death of Mollie Tibbetts, according to authorities.

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation confirmed Tuesday during a news conference that Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, is charged with first-degree murder.

Authorities confirmed Rivera is an illegal immigrant and is being held on a federal detainer.

Authorities said Tibbetts was in a cornfield southeast of Brooklyn.

The 20-year-old was last seen jogging July 18. Investigators said Rivera saw Tibbetts running and began running alongside her.

Tibbetts threatened to call police and ran further away, but Rivera chased her down.

Authorities said surveillance video brought investigators to Rivera. Rivera lead investigators to Tibbetts’ body.
But abolish ICE, amirite?
   453. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:33 PM (#5731055)
Are Trump's golf buddies still running the VA from Mar-A-Lago? Last I heard it was going on, but there was too much other stuff going on for anyone to do anything about it. Still happening?

That's like a 16th seed in Bracket #3

I'd say the top seed in that bracket would either be kids in cages, Helsinki, or the wonderfully funny Kim Jong Un.
   454. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5731057)

Yes, actually, you are right.
   455. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5731058)
If you Trumpkins refuse to do your brackets, I'm going to do them for you.
   456. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5731061)
I'd say the top seed in that bracket would either be kids in cages, Helsinki, or the wonderfully funny Kim Jong Un.

Kids in cages certainly #1. Many fine people among the Nazi's should be a high seed in bracket 4. ######## countries is probably an 8 or so in the same.
   457. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5731062)

Called it!!! See #446

... and to answer your question, it is 'repeal and replace ICE'. After all, TrumpCare is going to be awesome once ObamaCare is repealed.
   458. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:41 PM (#5731066)
Kids in cages certainly #1. Many fine people among the Nazi's should be a high seed. ######## countries is probably an 8 or so

Do you put the many fine people in a different region to get them a higher seed or keep it in the national damage bracket?

I'm inclined to keep it in the national damage bracket, even if it has to settle for a 3rd or 4th seed.
   459. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:42 PM (#5731068)
Guys. Wait for it:

Donald Plump
   460. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:43 PM (#5731070)
So how many witches are we up to now?
   461. homerwannabee Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:44 PM (#5731071)
The Trump rally tonight at 7 P.M. Eastern in West Virginia is going to be crazy good. Trump is usually a hoot in a normal state of mind. I can only imagine how he'll be in an off kilter state of mind after learning on the same day that his campaign manager was convicted, and his lawyer basically gave him up by saying Trump directed him to pay off those women.
   462. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:45 PM (#5731073)
Just imagine what 2 AM Twitter Trump is going to be calling Cohen.

Oh. Em. Gee.
   463. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5731075)
Called it!!! See #446
Called what? As you admit, it's a BFD.
... and to answer your question, it is 'repeal and replace ICE'. After all, TrumpCare is going to be awesome once ObamaCare is repealed.
Too late, Fossie. Google counts 71,000,000 hits.
   464. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:48 PM (#5731078)
Illegal Immigrant charged with first-degree murder in Mollie Tibbetts' death:...

How does kidnapping infants and putting them in cages stop 24 year old criminals?

And once more for feeling: Asylum seekers are, by law, not illegal immigrants.
   465. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5731081)
I see Juannity's confusion.

He's been so desperate to get back into the right cocktail parties again, he's become confused about ICE's role in murder investigations.
   466. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:50 PM (#5731082)
Of the many things JE doesn't care about, #464 ranks pretty highly.
   467. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:50 PM (#5731083)
Yes, actually, you are right.
Yup, leave the poor Nazi alone!
   468. manchestermets Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5731084)
The Guardian:

Donald Trump just spoke to reporters outside of Air Force One after landing in Charleston, West Virginia.

He commented briefly on the Manafort guilty verdict, calling it “very sad” and noting that it had “ nothing to do” with Russian collusion.

“We continue the witch hunt,” he said.

He did not respond to questions about Cohen.
   469. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5731085)
Dance, Juannity, dance!

Dance like your livelihood depends on it!
   470. dlf Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:53 PM (#5731086)
And once more for feeling: Asylum seekers are, by law, not illegal immigrants.

Immigration law is far from my field, but can't it be both depending on when/where the claim of asylum is presented?
   471. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:54 PM (#5731087)
Asylum seekers are, by law, not illegal immigrants.
Are you referring to those who entered the United States illegally then, when caught, claimed asylum?
   472. manchestermets Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:54 PM (#5731089)
I like the way the spin machine is now going round so fast that a murder committed by an illegal immigrant is presented as evidence of the excellence and value of the ICE.
   473. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:56 PM (#5731092)
I like the way the spin machine is now going round so fast that a murder committed by an illegal immigrant is presented as evidence of the excellence and value of the ICE.

Well, it's a slow news day.

Just ask Clapper.
   474. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:57 PM (#5731093)
I see Jason is still using "nuttiness exists on the left" to exculpate, exonerate, and justify Donald Trump for any and all behavior.

I did not see that coming back in 2016.
   475. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:58 PM (#5731095)
456. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5731061)

Kids in cages certainly #1

I agree they are monstrously evil, but please remember which President it was who opened them:

In 2014, the Obama administration bypassed standard bidding processes to set up the Corrections Corporation of America with a billion-dollar contract for a detention center for women and children seeking asylum. The center in Dilley, Texas, is one of 74 facilities run by the CCA, which is the largest prison company in America, yet it accounted for 14 percent of the company’s record-high profits in 2015.

It’s why the whole ####### agency needs to go away—if we just do some lame change the letter/not the name reform, whoever the next President is will just keep using the apparatus to round up brown people into concentration camps.
   476. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:00 PM (#5731097)
You fellas are truly pathetic. Anyone who's read my posts while the Manafort trial took place knows that I've expressed little interest, with the exception of the judge's initial reprimand of the Special Counsel's team and media request to publish the jurors' contact info. As for Cohen, I've probably said nothing.
   477. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:00 PM (#5731098)
I'm with Peptech, I'm just more depressed than ever now. What a mess.
   478. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:03 PM (#5731099)
No more dealing with this doofus troll.

You were so close to 'hipster doofus'!! :(

Now kiss!

Oh, golly, now I’ll be accused of homophobia too.
   479. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5731100)
The kidnapping kids thing is giving ICE bureaucrats literal nightmares. NYT has been able to do such good work on the story because so many of these people are appalled -- kids regressing to where they can't speak and have to be put into diapers.

Wouldn't even vote GOP for dogcatcher. Stray animals are treated better.
   480. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5731101)
I see Jason is still using "nuttiness exists on the left" to exculpate, exonerate, and justify Donald Trump for any and all behavior.
Not at all. The Manafort trial was a tax fraud/money laundering case and had nothing to do with collusion. Even if the jury had acquitted on all charges, it was obvious that Manafort, as well as Gates and Podesta, were über-sleazy characters.

Meanwhile, I see you have said nothing about left-wing fascists.
   481. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5731102)
Anyone who's read my posts while the Manafort trial took place knows that I've expressed little interest...As for Cohen, I've probably said nothing.
Hopefully, someday you'll understand that you just proved my point.
   482. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5731103)
You fellas are truly pathetic

Could be worse Juan. We could be you.
   483. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:05 PM (#5731104)
You fellas are truly pathetic. Anyone who's read my posts while the Manafort trial took place knows that I've expressed little interest, with the exception of the judge's initial reprimand of the Special Counsel's team and the media request to publish the jurors' contact info. As for Cohen, I've probably said nothing.

Yeah, you're quite the straight shooter and not at all the loathsome opportunist people like Trump attract like flies on ####.

One of the hidden little gems of the 8 guilty verdicts/10 hung is that I bet it completely ###### your binary choice gambit of "NOTHING TO DO WITH TRUMP!!!!!" vs "AH-HA! WITCH HUNT!"

I'll be quite honest - I never considered that upside...

484. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:07 PM (#5731106)
Yeah, you're quite the straight shooter and not at all the loathsome opportunist people like Trump attract like flies on ####.
Says the dude who swore he would ride out the Trump presidency in Canada, then hitched a ride back with his flaccid tail dangling between his crooked legs.
   485. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:07 PM (#5731107)
Meanwhile, I see you have said nothing about left-wing fascists.

I completely and wholly and without reservation condemn this violence committed against progressive Democrats, whether they were Sanders primary voters, Clinton GE voters, or any mix thereof.

486. Shredder Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:07 PM (#5731108)
Anyone who's read my posts while the Manafort trial took place knows that I've expressed little interest, with the exception of the judge's initial reprimand of the Special Counsel's team and media request to publish the jurors' contact info. As for Cohen, I've probably said nothing.
Hilariously, Jason thinks this makes him look BETTER! But sure, I'm the guy who wants to ignore things that make my side look bad. Ha!
   487. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:08 PM (#5731109)
Anyone who's read my posts while the Manafort trial took place knows that I've expressed little interest...As for Cohen, I've probably said nothing.

Yeah but JUANABOUT Larry John Jorge TONY Podesta? Juanabout him?
   488. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:08 PM (#5731110)
Says the dude who swore he would ride out the Trump presidency in Canada, then hitched a ride back with his flaccid tail dangling between his legs.

Your Dear Leader made it financially advantageous to come back.

Too bad Canada isn't as bad as Trump.

489. perros Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5731111)
And yes, many of these kids are being stripped from people legally appearing at the border seeking asylum.

That Trump and Co. started doing this intentionally, and in secret, with the express intent to discourage all immigrants, and have disgraced themselves to this day lying through their teeth....

Good thing I don't own a DC restaurant.
   490. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5731112)
Non-responsive. Big shocker.
   491. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:10 PM (#5731114)
Michael Cohen looks like a Jewish Gomer Pyle.
   492. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:11 PM (#5731115)
Non-responsive. Big shocker.

You get the non-responses you deserve, Monkey.
   493. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:12 PM (#5731116)
Hilariously, Jason thinks this makes him look BETTER! But sure, I'm the guy who wants to ignore things that make my side look bad. Ha!
Try this out for size, genius:

The Manafort trial has nothing to do with Trump.
The Cohen guilty plea has to do with potential campaign finance violations, which at most would result in a hefty fine for the campaign.

Meaning: This isn't about Russia.

BTW, are you *now* ready to acknowledge that McCabe didn't retire early to go skiing?
   494. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:12 PM (#5731117)
What passes for a silver lining for some:

"Although the President of the United States officially became an unindicted co-conspirator today, nobody at the overlapping courthouse press conferences said the words "Russia collusion."
   495. manchestermets Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:13 PM (#5731119)
"I am a very serious political operative. Why would I have anything to say about the president's lawyer stating in court that the president directed him during the campaign to break campaign finance laws?"
   496. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:13 PM (#5731120)
Pretty sweet 6:12 PM two-post timing there.
   497. DavidFoss Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:14 PM (#5731121)
Lanny Davis is tweeting that his client (Cohen) has testified under oath that Trump instructed him to commit felonies. It’s not likely that Congress will do anything but what would a DA do if Trump was not POTUS?
   498. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:16 PM (#5731122)
Lanny Davis is tweeting that his client (Cohen) has testified under oath that Trump instructed him to commit felonies. It’s not likely that Congress will do anything but what would a DA do if Trump was not POTUS?

All else being equal, he would likely be indicted or pleading like Cohen. But if Trump were not POTUS, it's likely none of this would have come to light.
   499. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:16 PM (#5731123)

Well, the 115th Congress...

The 116th may have a different take on the need for oversight.
   500. Stormy JE Posted: August 21, 2018 at 06:16 PM (#5731124)
.pilF
Page 5 of 23 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.