Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

OTP 2018 August 27: Pitching politics

George Washington was known to throw a ball—for hours, reported one soldier under his command—with his aide-de-camp during the Revolutionary War. Abraham Lincoln would join baseball games on the lawn of Blair House, which still stands across Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House. “I remember how vividly he ran, how long were his strides, how far his coattails stuck out behind,” the home’s owner, Francis Preston Blair, recalled in a letter to his grandson.

The story of baseball in the United States is intertwined with that of the presidency, says Curt Smith, a senior lecturer in English and the author of The Presidents and the Pastime: The History of Baseball and the White House (University of Nebraska Press, 2018). He traces the points of connection from the colonial era to the present, devoting a chapter to each president since William Howard Taft, who in 1910 inaugurated the practice of the president throwing out a ceremonial first pitch.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 07:27 AM | 1644 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 17 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 07:58 AM (#5734642)
Congress hopes for a drama-free September for spending bills

But a source close to Trump told me that while they're almost certain he'll keep that promise, they still hear a whisper of doubt.

•"[The wall] is on his mind," the source said. "I think I would still say we are not going to have a shutdown...and yes, he has explicitly told Ryan and McConnell he won't, but he talks about the wall and keeps talking about it."

•"I won't rule it [a shutdown] out because it's his biggest issue and he wants to have this discussion before the election. ... In his gut, he thinks it's good politics."

Shutdown Odds Likely to Grow

Stan Collender: “Today, with exactly (and just) five weeks to go before the start of the next federal fiscal year, nothing has changed to make the odds of a government shutdown less than they were before the House of Representatives began its summer-Labor Day recess.”

“As a result, I’m sticking with my previous estimate that there’s a 60 percent chance the federal government will shut down this October 1.”

“That is, I’m sticking with 60 percent for now. If anything, the likelihood of a shutdown is only going to increase from here.”

Man it sure is great having a temperamental idiot running the GOP and as President. Such excitement, "who is he going to disrespect next?", "What is the next crime, indictment or guilty plea that will surface?", "What nation will be outrage today?", "Should we shut down the government over hurt feelings and a yearning for a dumb wall?"

People who support Trump must be either ashamed or have no sense of shame.
   2. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 08:05 AM (#5734646)
August House Overview: The Bottom Line in the 66 Most Competitive Races

The playing field of competitive races has expanded, and not in a good way for the GOP: of the 66 races in our "Lean" and "Toss Up" columns, Republicans are defending 62 and Democrats just four. The battlefield includes all types of places: northeastern suburbs, Sun Belt exurbs, Trump zones in the Rust Belt and unexpected locales like Little Rock, Spokane and even the coalfields of southern West Virginia.

Many Republicans wish they could simply run on a great economy, but complain President Trump's constant distractions won't let them. Instead, Republicans will have to convince voters that the Democratic alternatives are unacceptable.

The bottom line?

Democrats remain clear but not overwhelming House favorites. On the low end, it's possible House control may not be decided until days after the election. It's also possible a "Blue Wave" could propel Democrats to historic gains, well past the 23 they need. Right now, Democrats appear poised to gain between 20 and 40 seats, with 25 to 35 the likeliest outcome.
   3. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 08:17 AM (#5734647)
"My fellow Americans, whom I have gratefully served for sixty years, and especially my fellow Arizonans,

"Thank you for the privilege of serving you and for the rewarding life that service in uniform and in public office has allowed me to lead. I have tried to serve our country honorably. I have made mistakes, but I hope my love for America will be weighed favorably against them.

"I have often observed that I am the luckiest person on earth. I feel that way even now as I prepare for the end of my life. I have loved my life, all of it. I have had experiences, adventures and friendships enough for ten satisfying lives, and I am so thankful. Like most people, I have regrets. But I would not trade a day of my life, in good or bad times, for the best day of anyone else's.

"I owe that satisfaction to the love of my family. No man ever had a more loving wife or children he was prouder of than I am of mine. And I owe it to America. To be connected to America's causes – liberty, equal justice, respect for the dignity of all people – brings happiness more sublime than life's fleeting pleasures. Our identities and sense of worth are not circumscribed but enlarged by serving good causes bigger than ourselves.

"'Fellow Americans' – that association has meant more to me than any other. I lived and died a proud American. We are citizens of the world's greatest republic, a nation of ideals, not blood and soil. We are blessed and are a blessing to humanity when we uphold and advance those ideals at home and in the world. We have helped liberate more people from tyranny and poverty than ever before in history. We have acquired great wealth and power in the process.

"We weaken our greatness when we confuse our patriotism with tribal rivalries that have sown resentment and hatred and violence in all the corners of the globe. We weaken it when we hide behind walls, rather than tear them down, when we doubt the power of our ideals, rather than trust them to be the great force for change they have always been.

"We are three-hundred-and-twenty-five million opinionated, vociferous individuals. We argue and compete and sometimes even vilify each other in our raucous public debates. But we have always had so much more in common with each other than in disagreement. If only we remember that and give each other the benefit of the presumption that we all love our country we will get through these challenging times. We will come through them stronger than before. We always do.

"Ten years ago, I had the privilege to concede defeat in the election for president. I want to end my farewell to you with the heartfelt faith in Americans that I felt so powerfully that evening.

"I feel it powerfully still."

"Do not despair of our present difficulties but believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here. Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history. We make history.

"Farewell, fellow Americans. God bless you, and God bless America."
   4. Stormy JE Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:08 AM (#5734660)
Well, it doesn't, actually. I mean, this hypothetically-wrong fact would not be a point in favor of the validity of the dossier, obviously. But getting a single fact wrong does not in fact suggest the whole thing is.

(Talking about the "whole dossier" as if a dossier was a single coherent report is misleading. It's a collection of separate documents. It would be one thing to claim that an article containing a misreport about a baseball team's trade plans invalidates the article, but it would hardly suggest that everything reported on the team is suspect.)
We can lather, rinse, and repeat as often as you'd like, David. Two years have elapsed since the first document was prepared and still *nothing* in the dossier that wasn't already available via open sources has been confirmed -- and yet, it served as the basis for the warrant application.
Or maybe it is a matter of those things. The entire evidence that this report is wrong (other than a denial by Cohen) is that Cohen was allegedly elsewhere in August. So what if it were a few weeks earlier, in July? Would that significantly undermine the dossier?
Do we really think that the USG wouldn't be able to piece together Cohen's itinerary to prove he was in Prague? The increasingly likely conclusion is that someone in the intel community fed this info to Steele, albeit it was the wrong Michael Cohen.
   5. Stormy JE Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:16 AM (#5734667)
Chuck Ross:
An FBI special agent told Congress earlier in August that the bureau has used leaked news stories as justifications to obtain surveillance warrants against American citizens, a source familiar with the testimony tells The Daily Caller News Foundation.

During a closed-door interview with the House Judiciary and House Oversight Committees on Friday, Special Agent Jonathan Moffa told congressional investigators that the FBI and Justice Department have leaked stories to the press and then used them to obtain warrants under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).

“He more or less admitted that the FBI/DOJ have previously leaked info to the press and then used stories from the press as justifications for FISA warrants,” a source who took part in Moffa’s interview told TheDCNF.

North Carolina Republican Rep. Mark Meadows referred to Moffa’s comments in a tweet on Monday night.

“We’ve learned NEW information suggesting our suspicions are true: FBI/DOJ have previously leaked info to the press, and then used those same press stories as a separate source to justify FISA’s Unreal,” wrote Meadows, a member of the House Oversight & Government Reform Committee.

“Tomorrow’s Bruce Ohr interview is even more critical. Did he ever do this?” he added.
Well, that does sound kinda familiar...
   6. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:23 AM (#5734670)
   7. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:26 AM (#5734672)
We can lather, rinse, and repeat as often as you'd like, David. Two years have elapsed since the first document was prepared and still *nothing* in the dossier that wasn't already available via open sources has been confirmed -- and yet, it served as the basis for the warrant application.

Your obsession with the Dossier, while ignoring everything that has came after it, is no longer endearing. Do you ever plan on spending any time or energy on anything else, or is the plan to remain focused like a laser on the all consuming dossier?

Even if - and I doubt it is true - the dossier was 100% of the basis of some warrants, at some point you have to realize that there is more going on. Nothing about the dossier or the warrants exculpates or excuses everything else. Screaming "the Dossier is error riddled" a million times doesn't defend any of those who have been indicted, pled guilty, been found guilty, or who are unindicted coconspirators.
   8. DavidFoss Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:31 AM (#5734674)
Two years have elapsed since the first document was prepared and still *nothing* in the dossier that wasn't already available via open sources has been confirmed -- and yet, it served as the basis for the warrant application.

Really? All of these indictments, guilty pleas and convictions and they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for this fake piece of paper? Is that your point? I don't understand the 'poison fruit' defense. The "wasn't already available via open sources" caveat is funny, too. Couldn't the warrant have been granted on that stuff alone?
   9. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:36 AM (#5734679)
Trump Googled his name, didn't like the results, and tweeted angrily about it at 5:00am.

He really is a petulant, thin-skinned little manlet isn't he? The entire GOP has become the party of projection - oh no, it's you hippies that are delicate snowflakes. Trump's childish display when asked about McCain yesterday is the sort of thing I can't image any other adult doing. Obviously that's part of his appeal to his base, like the ones who have me on ignore here.
   10. Stormy JE Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:40 AM (#5734682)
Your obsession with the Dossier, while ignoring everything that has came after it, is no longer endearing. Do you ever plan on spending any time or energy on anything else, or is the plan to remain focused like a laser on the all consuming dossier?

Even if - and I doubt it is true - the dossier was 100% of the basis of some warrants, at some point you have to realize that there is more going on. Nothing about the dossier or the warrants exculpates or excuses everything else. Screaming "the Dossier is error riddled" a million times doesn't defend any of those who have been indicted, pled guilty, been found guilty, or who are unindicted coconspirators.
It's a pretty big deal, Mouse, but noted that you've spent little time on the subject matter compared to others here. The collusion cloth is unraveling and many of the folks responsible for initiating and/or promoting this shanda will be held responsible.
   11. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5734685)
and yet, it served as the basis for the warrant application.
Don’t forget about the oatmeal cookie recipes.

Do we really think that the USG wouldn't be able to piece together Cohen's itinerary to prove he was in Prague? The increasingly likely conclusion is that someone in the intel community fed this info to Steele, albeit it was the wrong Michael Cohen.
I like how this argument manages to simultaneously assume both IC omniscience and incompetence.¹

Also, what is it with you guys using the term “increasingly” to describe a single unchanging data point? You know what would make this scenario more plausible, though? If anothere Michael Cohen stepped forward and said, “My name is Michael Cohen, and I was in Prague at that time. See, here’s my passport or credit card receipts to prove it.” (Or a single shred of evidence of any sort.)

¹TBF, this theory also requires Steele to be both sophisticated - he has to both invent this elaborate story about Cohen based on nothing more than the fact that Cohen was in Europe, and the cover story about where he got the info from - and incompetent - he has to forget to ask a very basic question like, “Are you sure this is the right Michael Cohen?”
   12. Stormy JE Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:45 AM (#5734686)
Really? All of these indictments, guilty pleas and convictions and they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for this fake piece of paper? Is that your point? I don't understand the 'poison fruit' defense. The "wasn't already available via open sources" caveat is funny, too. Couldn't the warrant have been granted on that stuff alone?
A reminder: You're Fossie, not David. :)

No dossier, no warrant.
   13. Stormy JE Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:46 AM (#5734689)
Don’t forget about the oatmeal cookie recipes.
Your'e adorable.
   14. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:47 AM (#5734690)
From the Washington Post:

She fatally shot an unarmed black man. Now she’s teaching other cops how to ‘survive’ such incidents.

Shelby is poised to bring her state-approved training course, “Surviving the Aftermath of a Critical Incident,” to the city where her own “critical incident” unfolded. Shelby’s scheduled appearance Tuesday at the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office has drawn condemnation from local activists, who argue that the former Tulsa officer should not be imparting advice to law enforcement — especially not in the community where she killed the 40-year-old motorist and father of four.

(...)“I faced many challenges that I was unprepared for such as threats to my life by activists groups to loss of pay,” she said. “My class is to help others by sharing some of the skills I used to cope with the stress of my critical incident. As law enforcement we experience many critical incidents throughout our career. These tools that I share are just a few to help them cope with the stress of the critical incidents they have had or will experience.”
   15. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:48 AM (#5734691)
It's a pretty big deal, Mouse, but noted that you've spent little time on the subject matter. The collusion cloth is unraveling and many of the folks responsible for initiating and/or promoting this shanda will be held responsible.

You are being silly. The problem with all your obsession on the dossier (which I have spent the correct amount of time and energy on, BTW) I there is no "and then ...".

All you have is endless whining about the dossier and some FISA warrants. And since the FISA stuff is classified you can make up whatever you want - or perhaps innocently and uncritically quote those who speak "knowledgeably" on the subject, but still so what?

As #8 above asks (and I have asked too many times to count, so what? Give us the next step. You are lie the guy on the corner raving about the Lizard Men controlling everyone's brains. When asked "OK, suppose you are right and I agree, what next" he turns around and keep raving. Because there is no what's next that actually connects to the Mueller investigation and other things way more significant than the Dossier.

I have asked before and I ask again, where are you going with all this? What is the end game? What do you think is going on here?
   16. Stormy JE Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:50 AM (#5734692)
he has to forget to ask a very basic question like, “Are you sure this is the right Michael Cohen?”
This is laughable. Why would he assume it's the wrong person?
   17. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:52 AM (#5734695)
No dossier, no warrant.

So what? Change any of a million things in the past and tings unfold differently. But guess what, even if you are right (and please stop pretending it is a rock solid connection when you know no such thing), IT STILL HAPPENED.

You don't have a time machine. The warrant happened. Crimes were committed (see all the indictments, guilty pleases and convictions for proof of that) and the investigations are still ongoing. (Edit to correctly make investigation plural, there are many).

Other than the tiny chance a couple flunkies get in trouble (and if they broke the law, they should) none of that matters. None of this is going to overturn the Mueller investigation or any of the other investigation that are springing up like mushrooms after weeks of rain.
   18. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5734696)
he has to forget to ask a very basic question like, “Are you sure this is the right Michael Cohen?”

This is Bill Murray in Garfield all over again.
   19. Stormy JE Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5734697)
You are being silly. The problem with all your obsession on the dossier (which I have spent the correct amount of time and energy on, BTW) I there is no "and then ...".
If the dossier's principal claims were true, then Trump-Russia collusion was real. OK?
I have asked before and I ask again, where are you going with all this? What is the end game? What do you think is going on here?
There will be indictments for the actors involved in promoting this monster-sized bowl of crap.

Sorry for the brevity but that will have to do for now.
   20. Stormy JE Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:57 AM (#5734698)
Other than the tiny chance a couple flunkies get in trouble (and if they broke the law, they should) none of that matters. None of this is going to overturn the Mueller investigation or any of the other investigation that are springing up like mushrooms after weeks of rain.
More than a "couple flunkies" will go down. And right, the Mueller investigation will probably run its course.
   21. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 09:57 AM (#5734699)
OBAMA WIRE-TAPPED MY PHONE! WITCH HUNT!
   22. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:01 AM (#5734701)
If the dossier's principal claims were true, then Trump-Russia collusion was real. OK?

But it doesn't work in reverse. A means B does NOT suggest Not A means Not B*. In other words even if the dossier is complete horsecrap that doesn't mean collusion didn't happen. You realize that right? Attacking the dossier does not prove anyone's innocence.

There will be indictments.

In addition to all the other indictments that are like blades of grass in the field. And amusingly you will focus like a laser on those few indictments ( I expect Hillary will be one, as her indictment has been promised for literally years now) and ignore the rest.

* However, it does mean Not B means Not A, so if there was no collusion then the dossier's principle claims are not true (if we accept your premise). BTW, this is called the contrapositive in logic.
   23. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:14 AM (#5734707)
5 & 6

5 is from Daily Caller
6 is from Vice

Bullshit detector sounds like an ambulance siren right now.
   24. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:15 AM (#5734708)
#Qanon, Juan's partner in hysterical conspiracy-mongering, suggested that McCain's death was in fact suicide to avoid indictment and prosecution at the hands of Fat Man Donnie's super-secret inquisitors - the same one who have already participated in the secret tribunals that have nailed Hillary Clinton and others with charges of treason and allowed her to defer the associated death sentence by cooperating with their expanding investigations into the international child sex and murder ring run by (((Soros))). Perhaps that's one of the things the Qanon-obsessed yokel who visited Fatty in the White House last week discussed.
   25. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:15 AM (#5734709)
5 & 6

5 is from Daily Caller
6 is from Vice

But nothing from 4chan. So he's getting better.
   26. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:16 AM (#5734710)
Trump Googled his name, didn't like the results, and tweeted angrily about it at 5:00am.

He really is a petulant, thin-skinned little manlet isn't he? The entire GOP has become the party of projection - oh no, it's you hippies that are delicate snowflakes. Trump's childish display when asked about McCain yesterday is the sort of thing I can't image any other adult doing. Obviously that's part of his appeal to his base, like the ones who have me on ignore here.

I don't know why people don't just embrace the efficiency of it -

Pre-Trump, you never knew who was arguing in good faith, whose opinions were worth considering, and who had a valid point... now? Since the shitbag signal has gone out and they've all slid down the shitbag pole into the shitbag cave. The Trumpkins have self-ID'ed as people not worth it.

Plus - an added bonus - if one is familiar with the wonderful world of Alex Jones and Stormfront - this has all become a bit like reading ASOIAF before watching Game of Thrones.... You get to see all the interesting choices the 'mainstream' Trumpkins make in presenting their interpretation of the source material... No Jacelyn Bywater or Quentyn Martell dies in Dorne chasing a different princess? No - well, limited - Mike Cernovich and Pizzagate, while Jeff Sessions "will be fine" vs Jeff Sessions is another breadcrumb in the Deepstate.

27. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:18 AM (#5734711)

FTA:

It's unclear what sparked Trump’s dressing-gown tirade against the Silicon Valley giant given that his inspiration for AM tweets — Fox & Friends — had yet to start its broadcast.

It's obvious he was on the Foxnews site, saw the clickbait ad "Google your own name. You will be amazed by the results", and nature took its course.
   28. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:19 AM (#5734713)
“I faced many challenges that I was unprepared for such as threats to my life by activists groups to loss of pay,” she said. “My class is to help others by sharing some of the skills I used to cope with the stress of my critical incident. As law enforcement we experience many critical incidents throughout our career. These tools that I share are just a few to help them cope with the stress of the critical incidents they have had or will experience.”

The police forces are now having special education sessions for officers on how to financially and mentally prepare for being held vaguely account for murdering someone, publicly if not legally. WOE!
   29. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:20 AM (#5734714)
The Trumpkins have self-ID'ed as people not worth it.

Which is why there's no point in bothering with Jason any more.
   30. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:21 AM (#5734715)
It's obvious he was on the Foxnews site, saw the clickbait ad "Google your own name. You will be amazed by the results", and nature took its course.

I have never seen Clapper and Trump in the same place at the same time, but then again Clapper writes in complete sentences.
   31. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:21 AM (#5734716)
Which is why there's no point in bothering with Jason any more.

Who is Jason?
   32. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:24 AM (#5734718)

The police forces are now having special education sessions for officers on how to financially and mentally prepare for being held vaguely account for murdering someone, publicly if not legally. WOE!

All that's missing is Cris Carter in his HoF gold jacket telling them to "make sure you have a fall-guy."
   33. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:25 AM (#5734719)
“Trump Is Nuts. This Time Really Feels Different”: Trump Rejects “War Council” Intervention, Goes It Alone

After Michael Cohen’s plea deal last week, Donald Trump spiraled out of control, firing wildly in all directions. He railed against “flippers” in a rambling Fox & Friends interview, and lashed out on Twitter at Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the Justice Department, and Robert Mueller. In the wake of his outbursts, White House officials have discussed whether Trump would listen to his closest New York City friends in an effort to rein him in. Two sources briefed on the matter told me that senior officials talked about inviting Rudy Giuliani and a group of Trump’s New York real-estate friends including Tom Barrack, Richard LeFrak, and Howard Lorber to the White House to stage an “intervention” last week. “It was supposed to be a war council,” one source explained. But Trump refused to take the meeting, sources said. “You know Trump—he hates being lectured to,” the source added. (Spokespeople for LeFrak and Lorber say they have no knowledge of a meeting. A spokesperson for Barrack didn’t comment.)

More than ever, Trump is acting by feeling and instinct. “Trump is nuts,” said one former West Wing official. “This time really feels different.” Deputy Chief of Staff Bill Shine has privately expressed concern, a source said, telling a friend that Trump’s emotional state is “very tender.” Even Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump are unsettled that Trump is so gleefully acting on his most self-destructive impulses as his legal peril grows. According to a source, Jared and Ivanka told Trump that stripping security clearances from former intelligence officials would backfire, but Trump ignored them. Kushner later told a friend Trump “got joy” out of taking away John Brennan’s clearance. His reaction to the death of John McCain—quashing a White House statement in praise of the senator, and restoring White House flags to full staff—falls into the same self-indulgent category.

What a crappy headline... This time feels different? Seems pretty much the same as it ever was to me.
   34. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:27 AM (#5734720)
Two years have elapsed since the first document was prepared and still *nothing* in the dossier that wasn't already available via open sources has been confirmed -- and yet, it served as the basis for the warrant application.

Really? All of these indictments, guilty pleas and convictions and they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for this fake piece of paper? Is that your point?

His point is that he's a Republican, and Republicans in 2018 have no purpose in life beyond defending Donald Trump from being overthrown by Hillary Clinton.
   35. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:27 AM (#5734721)
I assume this is just snide, because it’s well-known that Trump doesn’t use computers.
   36. Nasty Nate Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:29 AM (#5734723)
I sometimes lurk in this thread and last week a few comments seemed odd to me. A few people put forth the sentiment that the left had put all their eggs in the Russia basket (not a direct quote) and the Russia topic was repeatedly brought up in this context.

I thought it was a bizarre claim but now I think I figured out what is going on. There are dozens and dozens of legitimate and all-but-indisputably valid criticisms of Trump. But the Russian collusion is not yet proven, the information either way will probably come out in the future. So some people are trying to create the revisionist history that the critics of Trump were only (or mostly) fixated on the Russia thing. This handwaves away all the other bad things (incompetence, lack of integrity, corruption, embarrassment etc etc etc) that people accurately predicted in advance and have criticized as they came true in clear view of everybody. This is done in the hopes that nothing comes of the Russia investigation or that they can muddy the waters in advance enough to cast doubt - all in pursuit of retaining credibility where otherwise the just-as-bad viewpoint has been completely discredited. So ironically, the just-as-badders become the ones obsessed with bringing up Russia while they try desperately to paint the picture that it's everyone else who is. It's their only hope to avoid recognition that the critics were mostly right, and the critics mostly were not being the boy who cried wolf. So, the fiction that the Trump critics were all-in on Russia and nothing else is their version of the fictional conspiracies that comfort the diehard Trumpers who believed that he literally would have Clinton arrested once elected etc.
   37. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:29 AM (#5734724)

Amanda Terkel

@aterkel

National Park Service employee tells me they got an email around 10am ordering flags at half staff. Around 2:30pm, email went out cancelling it and saying flag should go back to regular order. And around 5:30, another one went out saying to lower again.
9:27 PM - Aug 27, 2018

I guess this is better than a 10am order to launch the bombers, a 2:30pm order recalling them, and then a 5:30pm one telling them to turn around again.

So... how many flags go down, flags go up, flags go down do you think your Dear Leader has in him before other shiny objects draw his attention?
   38. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:32 AM (#5734727)
What a crappy headline... This time feels different? Seems pretty much the same as it ever was to me.

The folks close to Trump seem to buy into some of the BS he peddles, it might be a reality distortion field, self selection, or rampant denial but eventually many of those close to him start to "pierce the veil" and so we get these sorts of stories periodically from inside sources.

Which is not to say things might not be getting worse, from our perspective such a slide would be difficult to discern IMO, but just that there is also the possibility it is just noise or even the normal Trump Cycle taking place.
   39. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:33 AM (#5734728)

I assume this is just snide, because it’s well-known that Trump doesn’t use computers.

Yes, but Barron's school year doesn't begin until next Tuesday.
   40. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:34 AM (#5734731)
Roger Stone preemptively denies upcoming report on Trump's knowledge of WikiLeaks dump

Apparently, multiple outlets - the piece mentions Ronan Farrow as well as the WaPo and NYT - are chasing the story.

But you know, if you can't trust Roger Stone to tell the truth... who can you trust?
   41. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:35 AM (#5734733)
Yes, but Barron's school year doesn't begin until next Tuesday.

"Show me how you found those sexy pictures of your stepsister"
   42. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:36 AM (#5734735)

Here's another take

So. The President of the United States is alleging a broad-scale conspiracy to filter news by the largest search engine in the world. His "evidence"? That when he types "Trump News" into Google, it produces "only the viewing/reporting of "Fake News Media."

Trump is referencing an article by PJ Media's Paula Bolyard published over the weekend with this headline: "96 Percent of Google Search Results for 'Trump' News Are from Liberal Media Outlets." (Lou Dobbs, a host on Fox Business and a Trump favorite, talked about the piece on Monday night.) Here's how Bolyard arrived at that number: She went to the Google "News" tab, typed in "Trump News" and then, using conservative journalist Sharyl Attkisson's media bias chart, analyzed the publications that popped up.

Her conclusion:

"I expected to see some skewing of the results based on my extensive experience with Google, but I was not prepared for the blatant prioritization of left-leaning and anti-Trump media outlets. Looking at the first page of search results, I discovered that CNN was the big winner, scoring two of the first ten results. Other left-leaning sites that appeared on the first page were CBS, The Atlantic, CNBC, The New Yorker, Politico, Reuters, and USA Today (the last two outlets on this list could arguably be considered more centrist than the others).
"Not a single right-leaning site appeared on the first page of search results."

What the President of the United States is peddling to his 54 million Twitter followers, then, is an anecdote hung on a flawed analysis of media partisanship. The conclusions Bolyard's piece draws are entirely based on what she believed going into her "investigation." If every major media outlet in the country is biased, and Google uses the size of media outlets and the frequency they are cited as sources in its search algorithm (and its does!), then voila, all searches conducted via Google are biased.[/quote]

Trump is pouting because the google algorithm gives higher priority to CNN and the WaPo than it does Infowars. Too bad, so sad Donnie.

43. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:36 AM (#5734736)
#36 is - of course - pretty much spot on. Stretchy was an early adopter of this, but Ray and JE are all aboard this train to one degree or another. If they endlessly prattle on about a few select topics we are supposed to forget everything else.

Trump was never qualified by intellect or temperament for the presidency and this fact keeps getting proven over and over again.

EDIT: Clapper just sort of ignores Trump as much as he can. He focuses on the positive he can find, opportunistically tries to counter-attack the evil Democrats, and then goes back to focusing on the "positives" (like judges and such).
   44. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:37 AM (#5734737)

** Before cable, many broadcast networks didn't program 24/7, and would go off the air in the wee hours of the morning. At the time of sign-off, they'd play the Star Spangled Banner and then run a test pattern until they resumed their programming.

At least one of the Shreveport stations played -- probably right before the anthem -- a video of a fighter jet with a recitation of John Magee's High Flight ("Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth ..."), if memory serves some 4 decades later.
   45. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:39 AM (#5734739)
I sometimes lurk in this thread and last week a few comments seemed odd to me. A few people put forth the sentiment that the left had put all their eggs in the Russia basket (not a direct quote) and the Russia topic was repeatedly brought up in this context.

I thought it was a bizarre claim but now I think I figured out what is going on. There are dozens and dozens of legitimate and all-but-indisputably valid criticisms of Trump. But the Russian collusion is not yet proven, the information either way will probably come out in the future. So some people are trying to create the revisionist history that the critics of Trump were only (or mostly) fixated on the Russia thing. This handwaves away all the other bad things (incompetence, lack of integrity, corruption, embarrassment etc etc etc) that people accurately predicted in advance and have criticized as they came true in clear view of everybody. This is done in the hopes that nothing comes of the Russia investigation or that they can muddy the waters in advance enough to cast doubt - all in pursuit of retaining credibility where otherwise the just-as-bad viewpoint has been completely discredited. So ironically, the just-as-badders become the ones obsessed with bringing up Russia while they try desperately to paint the picture that it's everyone else who is. It's their only hope to avoid recognition that the critics were mostly right, and the critics mostly were not being the boy who cried wolf. So, the fiction that the Trump critics were all-in on Russia and nothing else is their version of the fictional conspiracies that comfort the diehard Trumpers who believed that he literally would have Clinton arrested once elected etc.

That pretty much nails it. It's if the case against Nixon had been reduced to whether he'd personally handed the Watergate burglars a grocery bag full of $100 bills and had one of them record the transaction to show their grandchildren.
   46. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5734740)
Don't you Trumpkins worry -

Larry Kudlow is on the job to regulate google into showing more VDare in its search results. Fortuitous for him that he was already helping out his buddy Peter Brimelow.
   47. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:41 AM (#5734741)

Um, then how did he google his own name?
   48. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5734744)

Um, then how did he google his own name?

With Putin's help?
   49. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5734745)
AP FACT CHECK: Trump's bent reality: Cohen, clean air, taxes

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is living in an alternate reality when it comes to special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation and other controversies swirling around him.

50. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:48 AM (#5734748)
Trump is referencing an article by PJ Media's Paula Bolyard published over the weekend with this headline: "96 Percent of Google Search Results for 'Trump' News Are from Liberal Media Outlets." (Lou Dobbs, a host on Fox Business and a Trump favorite, talked about the piece on Monday night.) Here's how Bolyard arrived at that number: She went to the Google "News" tab, typed in "Trump News" and then, using conservative journalist Sharyl Attkisson's media bias chart, analyzed the publications that popped up.

The liberal bias of reality rears its long-nosed head again I see.

Why not let the market solve this pressing issue? Faced with the overwhelming liberal bias of Wikipedia, ruggedly individualist conservatives didn't just whine, they created their own alternative (sample entry: "The Second Law of Thermodynamics disproves the atheistic Theory of Evolution and Theory of Relativity, both of which deny a fundamental uncertainty to the physical world that leads to increasing disorder.")

So rather than call out the jackbooted thugs of Big Gummint, why aren't the Trumpholsters creating their own search engine? Is this the one area where free market capitalism is unable to address their needs? Curious.
   51. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:53 AM (#5734750)
Why not let the market solve this pressing issue? Faced with the overwhelming liberal bias of Wikipedia, ruggedly individualist conservatives didn't just whine, they created their own alternative (sample entry: "The Second Law of Thermodynamics disproves the atheistic Theory of Evolution and Theory of Relativity, both of which deny a fundamental uncertainty to the physical world that leads to increasing disorder.")

So rather than call out the jackbooted thugs of Big Gummint, why aren't the Trumpholsters creating their own search engine? Is this the one area where free market capitalism is unable to address their needs? Curious.

Free market works fine:
Health care

Free market doesn't work, needs government help:
Coal, Oil, Farmers, Factory owners

Free market fails completely, government must do:
Internet searches, news, social media

52. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 10:57 AM (#5734753)
Evidence Obama is a Muslim

What other stories are your liberal sources suppressing?
   53. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5734754)
What other stories are your liberal sources suppressing?

You have no idea... I mean, the entry for liberal tells you all you need to know about their duplicity.

A liberal (alternately called a left-winger or leftist) is someone who advocates an increase in government spending, power, and control, such as ObamaCare. Liberals often support the censorship and denial of biblical Christianity.[1] Liberals who are a part of the secular left prefer atheism/agnosticism over the Christian faith, as atheism has no objective morality to hinder their big government plans.[2]
   54. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5734755)
There will be indictments for the actors involved in promoting this monster-sized bowl of crap.

It's no longer "indictments" -- Manafort has been convicted.
   55. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5734756)
You won't find fair-minded descriptions like this in your liberal media!

A Christian, Putin leads the increasingly conservative Russia against the homosexual agenda and towards pro-life side. Much of the criticism of Russia by liberals in the United States is motivated by their opposition to Russian policies on social issues. Obama even refused to attend the Winter Olympic games held in Russia in 2014...Putin is seen as an antagonist by liberals in the West, who are angry about their inability to push the homosexual agenda and pro-abortion policies on Russia.

President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton initially cozied up to Putin, charging the Bush administration was intent on reigniting the Cold War. However once the Rosatom-Uranium One deal was completed and the Clinton Foundation pocketed millions of dollars from Putin cronies in donations and speaking fees, relations began to sour as the Obama administration could no longer ignore geopolitical realities. Putin had protested the Obama administrations illegal drone strikes, and the administration placed sanctions on Russian leaders ostensibly in retaliation for the Crimean referendum.

President Obama's decision to move an anti-missile defense system to Romania during the 2016 US Presidential election only heightened tensions. Putin, who had repeatedly assailed the antimissile system as a grave danger to Russia's security, called Obama's decision dangerous. This coupled with Obama's implementation of sanctions rather than honor the 1994 Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances negotiated by the Clinton administration, displaying it as an empty promise to guarantee Ukrainian independence, only further exposed the befuddlement and inability of the Obama administration to stand by US commitments and the weaknesses of NATO.

In September 2013, Putin gave a speech stating the need to strengthen Russian culture with traditional values and the Orthodox Christian church. Also, he condemned Western nations and their godless pursuit of political correctness and homosexuality.

In early September 2013, Putin expressly observed that liberal John Kerry is a liar.

56. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 28, 2018 at 11:13 AM (#5734759)
This handwaves away all the other bad things (incompetence, lack of integrity, corruption, embarrassment etc etc etc) that people accurately predicted in advance and have criticized as they came true in clear view of everybody.
This has been going on since the days of Candidate Trump. Then it was something like this:

Poster A: Trump did something racist!
Trumpkin: But... Hillary's emails!
Poster B: Trump did something misogynistic!
Poster C: Trump is woefully uninformed!

"Hillary's emails" still makes a cameo appearance every so often, but "collusion can't be proven/isn't a crime anyway" has taken the pole position. And every once in awhile JE will let drop that something Trump did is awkward. But I'll stand by the idea that allowing this crap^ to be normalized is just as appalling as committing it yourself.

Clapper does well to concentrate on judicial appointments - I have no real beef with this, which is literally the *only* policy-related achievement that Trump can credibly claim. Not A Coincidence Department: I will wager any two of my children that DJT himself spends exactly zero time substantively vetting judicial candidates.

NB: Lest anyone forget the One True Enemy, Ray still hauls out "everyone on the left wants to overturn the election and install HRC as POTUS" canard.

^ Specifically:
- the blatant lies, constantly
- the shoddy, one-man "organizational" structure, meaning no legislative advancements (or lawsuits)
- the rampant disregard for intelligence (either Central, or just normal)
- overall coarseness, which encompasses the dog-whistling to the deplorables, like "very fine people"
   57. DavidFoss Posted: August 28, 2018 at 11:34 AM (#5734773)

You can get #6 straight from the source. Everyone on twitter follows the president. I'm on the earliest bus and Trump's "google himself" tweets were up before I got on (I read twitter on the bus to pass the time).

The tweets now have a later timestamp. I think he may have deleted them and rewritten them -- once in a while he fixes his typos.
   58. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:04 PM (#5734799)
Cruz, sure thing or surest thing?

Cruz Passes the Hat for Campaign Funds

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), “during a lunch with colleagues last week in Washington passed the hat for campaign cash, as the Texas Republican’s anxiety mounts about the unusually brisk challenge from Democratic Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D),” the Washington Examiner reports.

“O’Rourke is raising money by the truckload — enough to compete in Texas, a big state with costly media markets. The development has forced Cruz to hunt for resources in unlikely places for a politician who built his national career on opposition to the party establishment: fellow lawmakers, political action committees, and wealthy Republican donors.”

Said one GOP operative: “He was pretty intense last week and he should be — he needs the dough.”
   59. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:07 PM (#5734802)
Cruz Passes the Hat for Campaign Funds

"By kowtowing to Trump after he attacked my wife and father, I've proven that I can bend my principles to suit your will - so please, give all you can spare!"
   60. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:08 PM (#5734803)
This is more funny than stupid, but here's two consecutive tweets from Big Orange:
@realDonaldTrump

Congressman Ron DeSantis is a special person who has done an incredible job. He is running in Tuesdays Primary for Governor of Florida….Strong on Crime, Borders and wants Low Taxes. He will be a great Governor and has my full and total Endorsement!

@realDonaldTrump

Rick Scott of Florida is doing a fantastic job as Governor. Jobs are pouring into the State and its economic health is better than ever before. He is strong on Crime, Borders, and loves our Military and Vets. Vote for Rick on Tuesday!
Sure looks like he's endorsing both for Governor... obviously Floridians will know better, just looks weird.
   61. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:10 PM (#5734807)

Your link goes nowhere.
   62. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:15 PM (#5734814)
61-

Here’s our big brain President, having a normal one this morning

@realDonaldTrump
Google search results for “Trump News” shows only the viewing/reporting of Fake News Media. In other words, they have it RIGGED, for me & others, so that almost all stories & news is BAD. Fake CNN is prominent. Republican/Conservative & Fair Media is shut out. Illegal? 96% of....

@realDonaldTrump
....results on “Trump News” are from National Left-Wing Media, very dangerous. Google & others are suppressing voices of Conservatives and hiding information and news that is good. They are controlling what we can & cannot see. This is a very serious situation-will be addressed!
   63. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:16 PM (#5734815)
Your link goes nowhere.

So... slightly more useful than a link to the Epoch Info Caller Wars Examiner?
   64. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:16 PM (#5734816)
A new conservative-oriented search engine is under development and will be rolled out by the end of the year. The working name is "Rooble".
   65. DavidFoss Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:18 PM (#5734819)
Your link goes nowhere.

Ha ha... sorry. It is the two tweets in #62.
   66. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:21 PM (#5734824)
Faced with the overwhelming liberal bias of Wikipedia, ruggedly individualist conservatives didn't just whine, they created their own alternative
Their Greatest Conservative Songs has some wonderful trolling:
In the Navy     Village People     Navy recruitment song     1979     Disco

Y.M.C.A     Village People     About the Young Men's Christian Organization. About pulling yourself up from your bootstraps with the help of Christianity. #2 hit on the Billboard charts.     1977     Disco

Beat On the Brat     The Ramones     A song acknowledging the fact that sometimes corporal punishment is necessary in order to discipline children.     ?     Punk

67. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:23 PM (#5734829)
I've always wanted to start a porn-only search engine called "Go Ogle". Maybe go-ogle.com or something. What could go wrong?
   68. Greg K Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:26 PM (#5734835)

I like how one of them is the anthem of radical insurrectionists in the June Rebellion of 1832. Or at least, is their anthem in Les Mis.

"Conservative" and "Liberal" mean weird things in America.
   69. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:28 PM (#5734838)

Stretchy was an early adopter of this, but Ray and JE are all aboard this train to one degree or another. If they endlessly prattle on about a few select topics we are supposed to forget everything else.

The common denominator, of course, is that all three are always the smartest guys in the room and rest of us are uninformed dolts. If they just keep talking, just keep repeating the same points, we'll see the logic of their arguments -- and commensurately, the error of our ways -- and agree with them. God forbid if we disagree; they'll just keep hammering.
   70. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5734841)
   71. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:30 PM (#5734843)

It includes fictional band "Deathklok", the most brutal, most metal band ever. I'm a little disappointed I don't see Dr. Rockso on there though. "Goodbye Snowy Road: preaches sobriety and rejection of addiction."

And because I'm so tickled I need to announce it - I got a Twitter "like" AND a PM from DOLLY PARTON this weekend which is about the coolest thing in my history on the internet. She's a national treasure.
   72. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:34 PM (#5734849)

A liberal (alternately called a left-winger or leftist) is someone who advocates an increase in government spending, power, and control, such as ObamaCare. Liberals often support the censorship and denial of biblical Christianity.[1] Liberals who are a part of the secular left prefer atheism/agnosticism over the Christian faith, as atheism has no objective morality to hinder their big government plans.[2]

Let's see...

Is Conservepeepeedia simply ignoring Jewish conservatives, or are they equating Judaism with atheism/agnosticism?

Surely you don't think...? Nah...couldn't be...
   73. BDC Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:36 PM (#5734851)
Manafort has been convicted

Yes, but Lanny Davis may or may not have said something ambiguous about something he did or didn't know anything about. So there's equal corruption on both sides :)
   74. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:42 PM (#5734854)
Yes, but Lanny Davis may or may not have said something ambiguous about something he did or didn't know anything about. So there's equal corruption on both sides :)

Well, sure - but we were talking about indictments for promoting a monster-sized bowl of crap. Cohen is really just a lilliputian-sized bowl of crap... though, I suppose, he also played a role in promoting the monster-sized bowl of crap.

It all gets very confusing.
   75. GregD Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:45 PM (#5734856)

Also great:

Another Brick in the Wall: Anti-public school
Don't Stop (Thinking about Tomorrow): Used by Bill Clinton as his campaign theme song in 1992, but liberals often try to appeal to conservative themes for elections.
It's a Man's Man's Man's World -- Acknowledges the importance that men have brought to the world, through hard-work, and the importance women contain in our society.
I Won't Back down -- Talks about not backing down from a fight. Can be compared to not losing the Iraq War.
   76. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:48 PM (#5734858)
EDIT: Clapper just sort of ignores Trump as much as he can.

But he, like Juannity Jason John Paul, will vote for him in 2020 if given the chance. As such, they're on the wrong side of the barricades and should be treated as such.
   77. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5734860)
And every once in awhile JE will let drop that something Trump did is awkward. But I'll stand by the idea that allowing this crap^ to be normalized is just as appalling as committing it yourself.

Precisely. There is no middle ground with Trump, and Jason and Clapper and Ray have chosen evil.
   78. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:53 PM (#5734865)
Larry Kudlow is on the job to regulate google into

Cue Dan's raging incoherence about free speech! No. Wait. It's a Republican. Nevermind.
   79. BDC Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:56 PM (#5734869)
once in awhile JE will let drop that something Trump did is awkward

I get the sense with JE (as with, say, Ben Sasse) that their main objection to Trump is that he's ineptly fumbled an opportunity to enact a sweeping right-wing agenda. Naturally when a conservative wants credit for being anti-Trump, citing that Trump hasn't been thoroughly conservative enough, liberals aren't really going to feel very sympathetic … or perhaps exactly as sympathetic as conservatives were to the line "I criticized Obama! I hated that he didn't get single-payer healthcare."
   80. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 28, 2018 at 12:57 PM (#5734871)
Yes, but Lanny Davis may or may not have said something ambiguous about something he did or didn't know anything about.

May have? Even Davis admits he lied:
Attorney Lanny Davis says he was an anonymous source in a July CNN story that reported his client, Michael Cohen, had privately claimed that President Trump had advance knowledge of the infamous Trump Tower meeting between his son and Russians — contradicting Davis's own words on CNN's air last week.

In the story, Cohen was reported to have claimed he had personally witnessed Donald Trump Jr. informing then-candidate Trump about the June 2016 meeting. Such a claim from Cohen would directly contradict Trump’s statements about his knowledge of the meeting, where Russians were set to offer dirt on Hillary Clinton.
. . .
After Davis publicly backtracked from the claims, the New York Post and the Washington Post outed him as their confirming source and published apologies from Davis, a lawyer and communications expert who became well known for his work for Bill Clinton. The original CNN story — broadcast during Chris Cuomo’s prime-time show and written by Jim Sciutto, Marshall Cohen, and Watergate reporting legend Carl Bernstein — said that Davis had “declined to comment.” His involvement in the story, on so-called “background,” has not been previously reported.

Of course Davis contends he "unintentionally misspoke", but how gullible are you?
   81. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5734880)
The great thing about recognizing Lanny Davis as not worth listening to back in 2008 when he was making fatuous superdelegate arguments is that I'm now in year 10 of not being familiar with a thing he's said, not caring about what he said, and having no interest in learning or responding.

I understand he now has a client who has pleaded guilty to multiple crimes - including some at the behest of Donald Trump. This means I'll be able to get all I really need to know from court filings, indictments, plea deals, and the like.

It's a good thing.
   82. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:09 PM (#5734891)
Don't you Trumpkins worry -

Larry Kudlow is on the job to regulate google into showing more VDare in its search results.
Come on; the story is clickbait. Kudlow didn’t come out and announce an initiative. (It wouldn’t be within his portfolio if there were one.) He was asked a ridiculous question, so he gave a non-substantive response.
   83. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5734897)
Come on; the story is clickbait. Kudlow didn’t come out and announce an initiative. (It wouldn’t be within his portfolio if there were one.) He was asked a ridiculous question, so he gave a non-substantive response.

If an Obama or Clinton cabinet member said the same thing in the same circumstances the idiot-o-sphere on the right (i.e. Jason's information ecosystem) would be shouting about it non-stop for three years.
   84. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:20 PM (#5734902)
Forty-one leading Supreme Court practitioners wrote the Senate Judiciary Committee endorsing Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court. Some rather prominent Democrats there, as well as many GOP-leaning legal luminaries.

EDIT: Seems to be some problem linking directly to the letter. It's the 8/27 letter from Members of the Supreme Court Bar in the Committee materials.
   85. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5734905)
What exactly is a "Supreme Court practitioner"?
   86. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5734906)

The tier that wasn't invited to Hogwarts.
   87. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5734907)
As always, The Onion captures the essence of Trump better than any mere op-ed writer:

White House Flag Now Moving Minute To Minute To Indicate Trump’s Mood
WASHINGTON—Controversy surrounding whether the commander in chief was properly honoring recently deceased Senator John McCain increased Tuesday after reports indicated that the White House flag was now being moved up or down on its staff minute to minute to indicate President Donald Trump’s current mood. “It’s no secret that the president and the late senator had a contentious relationship, and President Trump wants the flag’s position to be perfectly calibrated to his current sentiments about Mr. McCain so the nation knows exactly how he feels,” said White House deputy chief of staff of operations Daniel Walsh as facilities employees raced to raise the flag precisely 26 inches above half-staff to reflect a surge of anger Trump had just experienced toward McCain receiving so much public adulation. “Obviously, we lowered the flag to half-staff on Monday after the president plunged into an extended bad mood due to the backlash over raising it to full staff on Sunday, but then we had to lower the flag another fifth of the way down the flagpole early this morning when Mr. Trump woke up and felt even worse about it. Then, at 9:41 a.m., we had to raise it 59 percent up the staff because Mr. Trump was feeling somewhat contrite about not honoring Mr. McCain, but not as bad as before, only to raise it to 86 percent of the way up at 9:49 a.m. because the president decided he didn’t care that much about the senator anymore. For the last couple hours, we’ve been raising and lowering the flag from anywhere to just one quarter of the way up the flagpole to 96 percent of the way up, depending on how mad, sad, guilty, jealous, apologetic, fearful, or annoyed Mr. Trump is feeling about the senator at any given moment. We also had to rush to take it down entirely from 10:47-10:54 a.m. when Mr. Trump just got bored of the whole thing. We’ve definitely been scrambling—wait, I’m just receiving word now that we’ve got to lower it another 2.6 inches because the president is excited about pissing off liberals but he’s also sleepy and hungry.” Walsh added that although it was tiring for his staff to keep raising and lowering the flag, they would keep doing it, because the position of the White House flag is of the absolute utmost national importance.
   88. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:29 PM (#5734909)

Really?
   89. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5734914)
The great thing about recognizing Lanny Davis as not worth listening to back in 2008 when he was making fatuous superdelegate arguments is that I'm now in year 10 of not being familiar with a thing he's said, not caring about what he said, and having no interest in learning or responding.

That's a suggestion that could apply to a lot more campaign apparatchiks than just Lanny Davis.
   90. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:35 PM (#5734915)
What exactly is a "Supreme Court practitioner"
There is a specialized Supreme Court bar that handles a disproportionate share of Supreme Court cases.
   91. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5734917)

SCOTUS actually has its own bar - and an attorney must be admitted to it before s/he can argue before SCOTUS.

The exclusivity of it is a bit over-stated, though - an attorney must be a member in good standing of at least one state bar association and must also be sponsored by X (two, I think) current members of the SCOTUS bar to apply for admittance.... I mean, I hardly run in elite legal circles, but I do know several members of the SCOTUS bar (including one who argued a case long, long ago)...

Edit - Coke to David
   92. DavidFoss Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5734918)
There is a specialized Supreme Court bar that handles a disproportionate share of Supreme Court cases.

Thanks. I thought maybe it was when your insurance wouldn't cover for your case to go to the Supreme Court, but they'd pay for you to go to a Supreme Court Practitioner instead. They aren't confirmed by the senate, they didn't even go to law school, but they can write opinions.

(I know someone in school to be an NP...)
   93. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5734921)
I remember Pearl Harbor, Dumbass tells Abe...

Unclear if he referenced the defeat of communist Japan in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor.
   94. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5734924)
Thanks David and Zonk, and helpful as ever Clapper.
   95. Traderdave Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5734926)
I was very disappointed that the Pearl Harbor TPM article failed to note Trump's 1946 birth year.
   96. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 28, 2018 at 01:57 PM (#5734927)
SCOTUS actually has its own bar - and an attorney must be admitted to it before s/he can argue before SCOTUS.

Most members of the Supreme Court Bar never argue before the Court, or ever file a document after their admission papers. It's a prestige thing that might impress some clients a bit. Supreme Court practioners would be the much smaller subset of appellate attorneys who have an active ongoing practice before the Court, arguing cases and filing briefs, including the ever increasing amicus curiae participation. Those are the folks on the letter supporting Kavanaugh noted in #84.
   97. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5734931)
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
   98. DavidFoss Posted: August 28, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5734932)
He gave Trudeau a hard time about burning down the White House. Those press reports didn't mention the 1946 birth year either.
   99. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 28, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5734935)
Yes, but Lanny Davis may or may not have said something ambiguous about something he did or didn't know anything about.

May have? Even Davis admits he lied:
Of course Davis contends he "unintentionally misspoke", but how gullible are you?
Clapper, how obtuse can you pretend to be?

The issue is not whether Davis, or Cohen, are lying sacks of ####. They are. Stipulated.

The issue is that regardless of the status of the Davis and Cohen sacks, the Trump Campaign and Administration are dumpster fires.

You are expressing outrage about all the jaywalking going on while the World Trade Centers fell. You can be technically correct until the cows come home, but there are bigger fish to fry.
   100. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 28, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5734936)
The issue is not whether Davis, or Cohen, are lying sacks of ####. They are. Stipulated.

As proof, please note the law degrees.
Page 1 of 17 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.