Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

OTP 2018 August 27: Pitching politics

George Washington was known to throw a ball—for hours, reported one soldier under his command—with his aide-de-camp during the Revolutionary War. Abraham Lincoln would join baseball games on the lawn of Blair House, which still stands across Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House. “I remember how vividly he ran, how long were his strides, how far his coattails stuck out behind,” the home’s owner, Francis Preston Blair, recalled in a letter to his grandson.

The story of baseball in the United States is intertwined with that of the presidency, says Curt Smith, a senior lecturer in English and the author of The Presidents and the Pastime: The History of Baseball and the White House (University of Nebraska Press, 2018). He traces the points of connection from the colonial era to the present, devoting a chapter to each president since William Howard Taft, who in 1910 inaugurated the practice of the president throwing out a ceremonial first pitch.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 07:27 AM | 1644 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 15 of 17 pages ‹ First  < 13 14 15 16 17 > 
   1401. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5738331)
The leading lights of the Trumpublican Party, having long since misplaced their backbones in the Senate Cloakroom or House Cafeteria, will say "No Comment" or something supportive. And we will all move on until the next book or leak or public outrage.

Oh, I'm sure someone will be "deeply concerned" about these things. Jeff Flake will almost certainly be outraged as he fails to vote against a goddamned thing on his way out the door.
   1402. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5738335)
I somehow doubt you had enough to deal with Dragoncon.

One needs very little to deal with grown men dressed in Sailor Moon skirts.

Dad's in danger!
Oh, what are you talking about? He's surrounded by men who play with toy ponies.
He's in the least amount of danger possible.

/Linda Belcher
   1403. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5738336)
The videos of old, white dudes cutting up their Nike golf shirts and posting the videos online will create enough free press to make up for any grief Fox News gives to Nike.

There are far more young black athletes peeling off to Adidas and Under Armor as lifestyle brands, than there are idiots cutting up their golf shirts for the MAGA outrage bucket brigade. Nike knows where their core target demographic is, and it's not the one buying Little Rascals and Wilford Brimley endorsed diabetes solutions.
   1404. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5738337)
You've been able to narrow down just the *one* truly bizarre thing?

On that one very narrow subject? Yes.
   1405. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5738341)
The moment when the Boss realizes everyone under him thinks he's a ####### moron and as such, makes sure he's "protected" from talking to people.

Just unreal.
   1406. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5738343)
On the Woodward book, CNN has posted a transcript of a call between Trump and Woodward. Both express dismay that they never talked together before publication. Trump asked who he talked to, and Woodward rattles off Conway and Graham. Trump changes his tune from "never heard about it" and then throws Conway under the bus:
Woodward: You and I spent a whole lunch on it, Kellyanne. And I said, I want to cover the substantive issues in foreign policy and domestic policy. And you said you would get back to me. Nothing.

Conway: Yeah, so I did. I presented it to the people here who make those decisions, but...

Woodward: Who are the people?

Conway: But anyway, I'll give you back to the president...
I think it's been pretty well established that Conway has direct access to Trump. But just in case that was in doubt:
Trump: It would have been nice, Bob, if you called for me.... a lot of people are afraid... Raj, I hardly have... I don't speak to Raj.

Woodward: Well, does [Kellyanne] have access to you?

Trump: And she should've come to me. She does have access to me. Absolutely. She has direct access, but she didn't come to me. And you know what? That's okay. I'll just end up with another bad book.
   1407. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5738344)
Yeah - this about sums it up...
What comes off most clearly in this transcript is Trump’s weakness. Lying is one thing. But the exchange in this call is a different subspecies of lying. It’s lying about not doing your homework. Lying because you want a second chance. Lying because you didn’t the guts to do the interview in the first place.

Hanging over the call is the chance that possibly some of these messages didn’t get to him? The story of White House dysfunction is so wild we can’t entirely rule it out. Maybe Trump shot down requests from a couple staffers and people knew not to bring it up again? It’s impossible to know. But the stench of weakness and cowardice can’t be cleaned off this thing. This is the real Trump.

It's all so pathetically stupid and stupidly surreal, who the #### knows
   1408. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5738345)
Woodward provides a little more detail and more examples, but they are largely details and examples of things we already knew.

Anyone who read James Comey's book with an open mind would've known everything anyone should ever need to know about Donald Trump, even a Martian who'd never seen him in action.

That said, as long as Trump keeps reacting to books like Woodward's the way he inevitably will, it'll only allow those previous insights to be chiseled into stone, so keep those books coming.

1409. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:37 PM (#5738346)
The moment when the Boss realizes everyone under him thinks he's a ####### moron and as such, makes sure he's "protected" from talking to people.

Turns out the Deep State is mostly just his own admin and aides scrambling to prevent him from literally starting WW III.
   1410. BDC Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5738348)
people destroying items that they've already paid for as a protest?

I found out my Honda Fit was assembled in Mexico, and I was just on my way outside to smash it to bits with a baseball bat when I read your post. Thank you.
   1411. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5738350)
Maybe from now on, we just have two Presidential elections...

One can be for the AYFKM clown... he can live in the WH, we'll hire a band to follow him around playing Hail to the Chief, have the armed forces supply an honor guard of sorts - maybe it would make for a great punishment detail, give him his own TLC-CSPAN to bellow on, hire foreign actors to play heads of state that he can "talk" to....

And then we'll have the real President... who doesn't require a staff to hide things from him or explain things.
   1412. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5738355)
And then we'll have the real President... who doesn't require a staff to hide things from him or explain things.

"What would happen if we handed the most difficult, complex and trying job on the planet over to a geriatric blowhard who has literally never accomplished anything on his own merit, his entire life?"
   1413. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5738358)
while shutting Trump out paints a picture wirth a thousand words.

That's got nothing on Garrison's latest, Blue Wave 2018 - Beach Closed
   1414. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5738359)
Nike shoes and the like are so encrusted with branding that you are advertising for the company whenever you wear them in public. That's the modern world; wearing a branded item is an implicit endorsement of that company. I'd argue that people should go way out of their way to avoid branded clothing, but that ship sailed a lonnnnng time ago. Anyway, if you want to show your disapproval for Nike you can't just avoid buying new shoes, you have to stop wearing the old ones as well. Unless you want to retire them to muddy backyard work duty or something like that, or to put a good deal of effort into de-branding them, you might as well destroy them.
   1415. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5738360)

saw that last night, I see that Ocasio now gets the Obama treatment in his drawings. disgusting racial caricatures are of course his appeal tho.
   1416. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5738367)
I like that he’s still using Hillary’s one shoe. That one’s a deep cut, only for the true BenHeads.
   1417. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5738368)
And also that Trump has no idea how to swing a hammer.

Also that since, ya know, putting up a sign doesn’t actually stop water, so, ya know, he’s actually literally depicting a blue wave.
   1418. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5738369)
Fortunately the voters seem to have noticed just how pathetic the Trump administration is ... Democrats' 2018 Primary Turnout Mirrors Previous Wave Elections

As both parties begin their final post-Labor Day sprint to Election Day, there are concrete signs that Democratic voters are fired up heading into the midterm elections.

Nowhere is that more evident than in the majority of states that have already held primaries. There's been massive increases in Democratic turnout while often a minimal uptick — or even noticeable dip — in turnout among Republican voters.

"What I'm seeing, with the exception of a handful of states, in state after state are huge increases in Democratic turnout relative to the increase in Republican turnout, when you look at 2014 versus 2018 turnout," said Republican pollster John Couvillon. "From looking at primary turnout as evidence of partisan enthusiasm, I'm seeing it on the Democratic side."
   1419. Srul Itza Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5738371)
to put a good deal of effort into de-branding them

How much effort to put a piece of duct tape with F-Nike on it, over the swoosh?
   1420. Lassus Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5738372)
Is that a Mason steering the boat? I'm confused.
   1421. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5738373)
It almost sounds like they have an opposition party leader in the White House ... GOP leaders scramble to avoid pre-Election Day shutdown

Congressional Republicans return to Washington on Tuesday with a singular goal for September: avoid a government shutdown.

But with President Donald Trump in the Oval Office, that’s easier said than done.

For months, GOP leaders have been laying the groundwork to avoid a shutdown on Sept. 30, the end of the fiscal year and just five weeks before Election Day. Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and even Vice President Mike Pence are already quietly lobbying Trump to postpone a shutdown fight over his border wall with Mexico until after the election, Hill and Trump administration sources say.

This is not Russia! Russia! This is just more incompetent leadership.
   1422. Lassus Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5738376)
I don't think I mind branding all that much, it just depends on the brand. I mean, I wore the hell out of various types of Converse All-stars. Not all boots are Doc Martens. I generally hate and avoid logos overall, but some of the smaller unobtrusive ones don't bother me that much. Anything with a noticeable logo I wouldn't really wear. I just don't like Nike's crap, so I wouldn't ever have to deal with it.
   1423. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5738382)

Since it's Garrison, I'm assuming the wave is coming out of a supersoaker co-held by Soros and the Rothschilds.
   1424. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5738383)
A great-uncle on my mother's side apparently spent the entirety of WWII in a Japanese POW camp after being captured on Guam on 12/10/41 while serving as chief pharmacist in the U.S. hospital there. Can't find a good reference online right now, though I've seen one or more before; the diary he kept while serving as a medical officer at the camp is apparently on file in Navy archives in D.C. or something of that sort. I suppose he might not have had particularly kind words for his captors.
   1425. Traderdave Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5738384)
I can't be the only one who is shocked that a President wastes 11 minutes repeating the same BS on a pointless phone call.

1426. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5738385)
This is not Russia! Russia! This is just more incompetent leadership.
Mouse, you don't GET it. If it weren't for the Russia! Russia! foolishness, constantly undermining his competence, he'd be competenting the hell out of everything. It's totally the Dems' CNN's Sessions' Omarosa's WaPo's McCain's HRC's Pelosi's FYNT's McConnell's Bannon's Comey's All the So-called Judges' Bob Woodward's fault.
   1427. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5738386)

Why is Peter Lorre in the Blue Wave?
   1428. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5738387)
1420– That’s pirate Jack Dorsey (Twitter’s CEO) as the captain of the Censor Ship. Mark Zuckerberg is his first mate, on the lookout with the $$$ telescope.

EDIT: sorry, yes, that’s the Illuminati pyramid behind the steering wheel.
   1429. Lassus Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5738389)
1420/- Jack Dorsey (Twitter’s CEO) is the pirate captain of the Censor Ship. Mark Zuckerberg is on the lookout, with the $$$ telescope.

Yes, but look - there's a one-eyed pyramid steering the boat.

EDIT: Ahhhh Illuminati, got it.
   1430. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5738390)
Mouse, you don't GET it.

This is true. Personally, I adore competence. My favorite books, movies and TV shows all have characters who are flawed, but fundamentally competent. Incompetence is easy to find and I am not entertained - unlike many, I guess - by watching people be idiots so I can feel better about myself (or whatever it is people get out of watching morons).

I find incompetence to be a huge turn off, even in jobs less than the Presidency.
   1431. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5738391)
Why is Peter Lorre in the Blue Wave?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wondered that ...
   1432. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5738392)
I can't be the only one who is shocked that a President wastes 11 minutes repeating the same BS on a pointless phone call.

Shocked?

I'm quite comforted by it... I would put this sort of thing in the bucket of "Stuff his staff just let him do to stay otherwise occupied". Figure 1/3 of his aboministration is golf, let him spend another 1/3 incoherently rambling and/or whining to reporters... and we've only got the remaining 1/3 to otherwise occupy him.

Maybe give him some shiny grenades to play with or something.
   1433. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5738394)
1427/1431 -Thats not Peter Lorre: it’s Adam Schiff!

Guys I’m starting to think I spend too much time in insane right wing internet spaces.
   1434. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5738396)
That's the modern world; wearing a branded item is an implicit endorsement of that company. I'd argue that people should go way out of their way to avoid branded clothing, but that ship sailed a lonnnnng time ago.
It's fairly easy to do except for athletic shoes.
   1435. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5738397)
while shutting Trump out paints a picture wirth a thousand words.

That's one priceless cartoon. Reminds me of those National Lampoon parodies of the Old School political cartoons, where everything is symbolically labeled, like showing a dog taking a piss that's labeled "Press Leaks". I love the depiction of Bernie Sanders crawling out of a shell with a hammer and sickle for a claw, and Elizabeth Warren with an Indian headdress. This guy may be seriously deranged, but it's obvious he's enjoying himself immensely.

EDIT: And I just now noticed "COHEN" pictured as---what else?---a RAT. But who is that Peter Lorre guy supposed to be>
   1436. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5738398)

For the record I support Trump wasting time on phone calls to the media, sending random semi-illiterate tweets, golfing and anything else that keeps him busy and away from actual governing.

This is why Trumpkins world wide spent so much time early in the Garbage Fire Presidency (I feel like I should trademark or whatever that phrase) trying to blame Liberals for Trump being president. Even they could see what a disaster he would be. Well, they could see it back then, since they seem to have skated down that slippery slope and now support him and everything he does.

EDIT: Coke to Zonk.
   1437. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5738401)

Close enough. It's a pyramid with the Eye of Osiris, i.e. "the all seeing eye," which is classic imagery for the Illuminati and "secret masters" who pull the puppet strings from the shadows. It's meant to mean the "Deep State" and probably the all controlling influence of The Jews.
   1438. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5738403)
1427/1431 -Thats not Peter Lorre: it’s Adam Schiff!

Huh, ok.

I like Peter Lorre better, though Steve Buscemi would also work for me.

Who the hell is the guy above the ANTIFA dude? Steny Hoyer? Mueller?

I do like the Bernie hermit crab though ...
   1439. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5738405)
All of the "I never said that!" denials are now starting to trickle out of the WH... John Kelly goes first - "just resend the statement I made last time I called him an idiot..."
   1440. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5738406)

It's Mueller.
   1441. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5738410)
   1442. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5738411)
Yea that's unreal, #1441. The white power POTUS and his white power (half mexican but the rich kind with the spanish blood) supporters.
   1443. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5738415)
It's meant to mean the "Deep State" and probably the all controlling influence of The Jews.

Good thing Schiff and Zuckerberg aren't Jewish* ... I might get the wrong impression of this Garrison fellow.

Pity Juan isn't around to remind us where the "real" anti-Semites are found ...

* and Peter Lorre as well
   1444. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5738416)
Pity Juan isn't around to remind us where the "real" anti-Semites are found ...

Al Sharpton was at Aretha Franklin's funeral, ya know.
   1445. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5738418)

Yea that's unreal
That's one word for it, yes.

Another is delusional.
   1446. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:16 PM (#5738419)
   1447. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:17 PM (#5738420)
You want delusional?

Trump: I’m just hearing about it. And I heard — I did hear from Lindsey, but I’m just hearing about it. So we’re going to have a very inaccurate book, and that’s too bad. But I don’t blame you entirely.

BW: No, it’s [?] — it’s going to be accurate, I promise.

Trump: Yeah, okay. Well, accurate is that nobody’s ever done a better job than I’m doing as president. That I can tell you. So that’s . . . And that’s the way a lot of people feel that know what’s going on, and you’ll see that over the years. But a lot of people feel that, Bob.
   1448. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5738423)
Just a team Trump lawyer sitting behind Kavanaugh throwing the white power/3% sign on live television. Tell me more about your boy, Clapper.

Sam putting his "intellect" on full display yet again, with some help from twitter. The Hispanic woman in question, Zina Bash, is a former law clerk for Kavanaugh, and then Alito, now working on the White House Domestic Policy Council. She's on the Kavanaugh confirmation team. If you watch her every movement very carefully, you may see her extend one of her fingers, just for Sam.
   1449. perros Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5738425)
Zina Bash, deputy to Stephen Miller, former Kavenaugh law clerk, ran Ted Cruz's POTUS campaign. Politically connected out the wazoo.

Trump's a sideshow while these mothers nakedly grab power.
   1450. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5738428)
Sam putting his "intellect" on full display yet again, with some help from twitter. The Hispanic woman in question, Zina Bash, is a former law clerk for Kavanaugh, and then Alito, now working on the White House Domestic Policy Council. She's on the Kavanaugh confirmation team. If you watch her every movement very carefully, you may see her extend one of her fingers, just for Sam.

Yeah, one of noted non-racist Jason Miller's crew... I normally sit with my arms crossed, inadvertently flashing white power hand signs, too.

1451. BrianBrianson Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5738429)
That's one word for it, yes.

Another is delusional.

Delusional is a strong word - the facts are certainly consistent with that interpretation, if perhaps not demanded by it. It seems like a bit of an awkward posture. Neither "coincidence" or "actual gesture" should be a surprising outcome to people here who aren't pushing an agenda.
   1452. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5738431)
Seems like a stretch to me.
   1453. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5738433)
She is only half Hispanic; her father is Jewish.

EDIT: I mean, there's not really such a thing as half-Hispanic or half-Jewish, but you know what I mean: half of her ancestors are Hispanic, and the other half are Jewish.

Yeah, one of noted non-racist Jason Miller's crew... I normally sit with my arms crossed, inadvertently flashing white power hand signs, too.
It isn't even a white power sign!!!!! And you probably meant Stephen Miller.
   1454. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5738434)
Another is delusional.

Is this going to be one of those incredibly stupid moments for you, like pretending that the county fairgrounds weren't "really in" Philadelphia, MS? Because I was enjoying our brief respite of you not being a complete ####### moron, David.
   1455. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5738435)

I did.
So what is it?
   1456. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5738436)
The county fairgrounds were not at all in Philadelphia, Mississippi, no scare quotes required. The incredible stupidity, however, was not your poor geography; it was the absurd idea that speaking at the Neshoba County Fair was somehow a shoutout to the Klan because a bad thing had happened somewhere close by sixteen years earlier.
   1457. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5738437)
Sam putting his "intellect" on full display yet again

Yes, Clapper. We all already know you're either too stupid to breed, and willing to suck the #### of any level of evil to get your judges confirmed. At this point, you've proven yourself worthy of the North Korean +/- 3 generations solution, just to be safe.
   1458. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5738438)

Was about to say the same thing, then noticed via Google that in addition to the actor who played Father Karras in The Exorcist "Jason Miller" is also the name of one of Trump's (former?) vile toadies.
   1459. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5738439)
... I normally sit with my arms crossed, inadvertently flashing white power hand signs, too.

She's not "flashing" anything. You're desperate, and willing to casually smear anyone for poltical advantage.
   1460. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5738440)
So what is it?
A 4chan hoax.
   1461. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5738441)
It isn't even a white power sign!!!!!

It absolutely is a white power sign. It's a white power/3%er hand sign. If you go look at Alex Jones' twitter feed you can see Roger Stone flashing it with some Proud Boys out in Salem, Oregon. Oregon and Idaho are, of course, prime territory for neo-Nazis since at least the 1990's. As this isn't nitpicking legal theory or pedantic grammar, David has no ####### clue what he's talking about.
   1462. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5738442)
So what is it?

A 4chan hoax.

So that makes it... better... ?
   1463. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5738443)
Again. David has no clue about the world beyond suburban New Jersey.

It's a 3%'er hand sign, which is a militia movement strongly, strongly aligned with white supremacy.
   1464. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5738444)
She's not "flashing" anything. You're desperate, and willing to casually smear anyone for poltical advantage.

I guess maybe we'll just wait and see if she also gives Kavanaugh a "terrorist fist bump" after hearing, right?
   1465. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5738445)

You're a spineless cnvt who allies with white supremacy and neo-Nazis to slither up to power. You're Vichy, and you deserve a Vichy end.
   1466. perros Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5738447)
She is only half Hispanic; her father is Jewish

A lot of Conversos ended up in the Spanish New World, so maybe a lot more Jewish than you think.
   1467. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5738449)
The county fairgrounds were not at all in Philadelphia

Stick to the suburbs, #######.
   1468. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5738450)

Oregon and Idaho are, of course, prime territory for neo-Nazis since at least the 1990's.
More stupidity from Sam. Some white power nuts were in Idaho decades ago, so this somehow taints 180,000 square miles of land. Which illustrates why the Neshoba County Fair arguments are made in such bad faith. Is something a few miles away? Is it hundreds of miles away? Doesn't matter; you start with your delusional conclusions and work backwards to come with some pathetic excuse for an argument.
   1469. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5738451)
Sam "sees" things that exist only in his mind, and that of others similarly deranged. Join him at your own risk.
   1470. Count Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5738452)
A) A shot of someone’s hand appearing to make an ok sign is probably nothing and b) a much better way to signal you support white nationalist policies is to work in the Trump administration.
   1471. perros Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5738453)
You're Vichy, and you deserve a Vichy end.

What if Clapper's already bald?
   1472. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5738454)
A better clue that she’s into white nationalism is that she worked as an immigration policy advisor for the Trump/Pence presidential transition team.

Also that she’s 35 and a Republican.
   1473. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5738455)
Some white power nuts were in Idaho decades ago, so this somehow taints 180,000 square miles of land. Which illustrates why the Neshoba County Fair arguments are made in such bad faith

You. Have never been. Outside. Of the NEC.

You. Have no ####### clue. What you're talking about.
   1474. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5738456)

You have never been outside your mother's basement, Sam. Stick to your virtual LARPing about being a revolutionary.
   1475. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:50 PM (#5738457)
You have never been outside your mother's basement

Please, David. Tell me more about rural Mississippi, as you know it, from your quaint little upper middle class New Jersey neighborhood. It's always nice to hear your opinions on #### you have no experience with.
   1476. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5738458)

Tell me more about rural Mississippi,
I think it's right next to Salem, Oregon.
   1477. perros Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5738459)
a 3%'er hand sign, which is a militia movement strongly, strongly aligned with white supremacy

Your link has an ADL statement that the white supremacy thing is a hoax to make people like you look stoopid.
   1478. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5738461)
Your link has an ADL statement that the white supremacy thing is a hoax to make people like you look stoopid.

No, it mentions the 4chan thing but notes the hand sign predates it.
   1479. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5738463)

YR is right about you fellas.
   1480. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:59 PM (#5738464)

It is 100% not a hoax, just go on GAB or 4chan. It's been percolating for years out of the 4chan/Pepe memewars and has been embraced by white nationalists worldwide for the last 18 months or so.

There is no doubt that woman knew exactly what she's doing, this is a stupid game they play, trying to get the symbol into everyday photos and appearances.

I don't get you perros you see racism in the whites of your eyes in the morning and apparently it makes you want to cut yourself but here you see obvious, external, pernicious racism starting you in the face sans mirror and you want to bend over backwards to explain it? Just doesn't make sense.

And David I'm sorry but you live in a bubble of older folks, this is almost purely a 40 and under alt-right thing. It's a thing in online shooters as well, that's where I was first exposed to it. People were drawing Pepes and OK signs on Rust (a game) buildings.
   1481. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 04:59 PM (#5738465)
Oregon and Idaho are, of course, prime territory for neo-Nazis since at least the 1990's.

More stupidity from Sam. Some white power nuts were in Idaho decades ago, so this somehow taints 180,000 square miles of land. Which illustrates why the Neshoba County Fair arguments are made in such bad faith. Is something a few miles away? Is it hundreds of miles away? Doesn't matter; you start with your delusional conclusions and work backwards to come with some pathetic excuse for an argument.

Where do the white power rubes hang out geographically speaking? I'd be curious to see how you experience stacks up to mine.

Please, David. Tell me more about rural Mississippi, as you know it, from your quaint little upper middle class New Jersey neighborhood. It's always nice to hear your opinions on #### you have no experience with.

I was just back in Mississippi last week and it was beautiful as always.
   1482. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5738466)

YR is right about you fellas.

Well I'm right about pretty much everything but can you be more specific here?
   1483. dlf Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5738467)
Speaking broadly of rural Mississippi ... do any of our posters hail from Biloxi / Gulf Port? Looks like Gordon's landfall will be tonight somewhere between New Orleans and Mobile.
   1484. perros Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5738469)
It is 100% not a hoax, just go on GAB or 4chan.

Hell no.

Embracing conspiracy theories is not a good look. There are any number of kooky websites focused on secret hand signs, and even if a lot of these basement dwellers and incels or whatever embrace this ####...

Appropriate musical interlude
   1485. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5738474)
Embracing conspiracy theories is not a good look. There are any number of kooky websites focused on secret hand signs, and even if a lot of these basement dwellers and incels or whatever embrace this ####...

it's not secret bruh, the woman is doing it right in front of your face, I'm not going to do the legwork for you but the alt-right has made it a meme of getting officials and POLS to be photographed either making the sign or being around someone making it.

Speaking broadly of rural Mississippi ... do any of our posters hail from Biloxi / Gulf Port? Looks like Gordon's landfall will be tonight somewhere between New Orleans and Mobile.

Brutal. Not from there but spent a day in Biloxi on a overnight beach trip (stayed at the only really nice resort style hotel left) and was blown away by the damage still visible from Katrina and perhaps even moreso -- how much land on the strip was just vacant, unused and undeveloped. We went to get dinner at the BBQ spot and it was a 45 minute wait. This was at the very start of spring break (mostly for the black greek system kids) and it wasn't even busy yet -- but the town has so few full time residents that aren't military or fisherman that they can't open enough restaurants or staff them fully outside of maybe a few weeks in spring.

Apparently most of the Viet-American fisherman packed up a left after Katrina and that really hurt. They were most of the local economic base not military or tourism related and even worse they took their kids with them, so there's nobody to work the tourist season or open new businesses.

I feel badly for the town, I hope they come through OK. FWIW everybody there was really, really nice to us, and we were travelling with black people as well.
   1486. perros Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5738476)
I don't get you perros you see racism in the whites of your eyes in the morning and apparently it makes you want to cut yourself but here you see obvious, external, pernicious racism starting you in the face sans mirror and you want to bend over backwards to explain it? Just doesn't make sense.

You live in bizarro world where the truth doesn't matter, I try and stick with rational analysis based in the social sciences. Even postmodernism will give you a strong base with which to break this #### down.

As Davo pointed out, you can look at her straight up political associations -- Kavenaugh's too -- without getting out in the weeds with an assortment of lost boys.

You might like Palahniuk's new book more than me.
   1487. perros Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5738477)
t's not secret bruh, the woman is doing it right in front of your face, I'm not going to do the legwork for you but the alt-right has made it a meme of getting officials and POLS to be photographed either making the sign or being around someone making it.

Even if true, you're being trolled.
   1488. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5738478)
As Davo pointed out, you can look at her straight up politicsl associations -- Kavenaugh's too -- without getting out in the weeds with an assortment of lost boys.

Nobody is in the weeds

See how the intern flashed it in there? And all the others? It's a meme dude. The meme is to show how edgy you are by being a racist close to the power centers of America. Of course when the POTUS is Trump, I can see how worrying about hand signs might seem a distraction. I can promise you tho that it's a real thing, and that it illustrates the sense of security the makers of it feel in Trump's America.

Even if true, you're being trolled.

lol, I guess a noose would be trolling as well? racist symbols as "trolling" and the real ####### is the person that got trolled. what a world.

But don't take my word for it, take Trump's: [from thehill.com, just now]

President Trump reportedly called his condemnation of white supremacists after the deadly 2017 Charlottesville rally the “biggest f---king mistake” he had ever made, according to an excerpt from Bob Woodward’s new book that was obtained by The Washington Post.

Trump faced widespread criticism after he initially said that “both sides” were to blame for the violence that broke out at the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., last August.

He later condemned white supremacists and neo-Nazis at the urging of his advisers, according to Woodward.

“That was the biggest f---ing mistake I’ve made,” Trump reportedly told aides almost immediately after the condemnation.
   1489. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5738479)

The co-worker sitting in the office right by my cubicle was managing editor of the paper in, I believe, Pascagoula when Katrina devastated pretty much the entire area.

My future 2nd wife turned 16 at Keebler AFB in Biloxi when Camille slammed into the region. I have no idea why she was amenable to living in Slidell & New Orleans two decades later. I sure as hell wouldn't have been if I had that experience to look back on.
   1490. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5738480)
I feel badly for the town, I hope they come through OK.

I initally read that as "I hope they come through Oklahoma" & thought, "I wouldn't pin my hopes on that happening."
   1491. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5738481)
It's been percolating for years out of the 4chan/Pepe memewars and has been embraced by white nationalists worldwide for the last 18 months or so.

It pre-exists the 4chan trolling as a symbol of the 3% militia, which has always been strongly aligned with white supremacy and the Klan. After 4chan, it has been adopted more universally, a la Pepe the Frog, as a "troll" signal for white supremacists, explicitly formulated to be excused away as "just an internet joke, man" if it ever comes up in a context where the white power troll doesn't want to be called on their beliefs. (For example, at work.)

Zina Bash is flashing a white power sign behind Brett Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings. On live television, knowingly, and with intent. She and it should be hung around Kavanaugh's neck until the weight of it drags him underneath where he can drown in his own sewage swamp.
   1492. perros Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:23 PM (#5738482)
being a racist close to the power centers of America

Go back and read Thomas Jefferson. Or Abraham Lincoln.

Nothing but rednecks for 400 years if you check.
   1493. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:23 PM (#5738483)

It pre-exists the 4chan trolling as a symbol of the 3% militia, which has always been strongly aligned with white supremacy and the Klan. After 4chan, it has been adopted more universally, a la Pepe the Frog, as a "troll" signal for white supremacists, explicitly formulated to be excused away as "just an internet joke, man" if it ever comes up in a context where the white power troll doesn't want to be called on their beliefs. (For example, at work.)

Zina Bash is flashing a white power sign behind Brett Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings. On live television, knowingly, and with intent. She and it should be hung around Kavanaugh's neck until the weight of it drags him underneath where he can drown in his own sewage swamp.

Bingo.

Go back and read Thomas Jefferson. Or Abraham Lincoln.

Rednecks for 400 years if you check.

yea but it's 2018.
   1494. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5738484)
Elon Musk quadruples down

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has renewed his attacks against a British man who played a key role in the rescue of a youth soccer team trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand.

Musk last month apologized for accusing Vernon Unsworth of pedophilia after the diver questioned the value of Musk’s contribution to the rescue, a small submarine that ultimately went unused. But in a series of emails to BuzzFeed News, Musk repeated his original attacks on Unsworth — and made new and specific claims, lambasting the rescuer as a “child rapist” who moved to the Southeast Asian country to take a child bride. Unsworth denied Musk's accusations through his attorney.

Though Musk prefaced one email with “off the record,” BuzzFeed News did not agree to that condition of the correspondence.
   1495. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:26 PM (#5738485)
The Woodward book won't move the needle in re: "the base", but Trump got enough Obama voters to move the needle. They aren't gonna stay with MAGA man.

The picture of Trump, arms folded, petulant look on his face after being asked to say a few words about McCain this past weekend, shows a man who is off his rocker. The Woodward book may push him over the edge. Woodward has lots of verification at the ready in anticipation of being challenged. Trump is going to be YUGELY embarrassed by this book, and what will he do? Launch nukes as a distraction. I can see him being carted out of the WH in a straitjacket. 25th amendment, Section Four, here we come!
   1496. RoyalFlush Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:28 PM (#5738486)
People see what they want to see.

Now, I said "People" see what they want to see. But, knowing the "3" fingers needed for the "3%" sign and the Central Park "5" controversy - you'll know you need to eliminate the 3rd and 5th letters. Now what does it say? "Pepe" see what they want to see.

So, obviously, this is all real.
   1497. perros Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:33 PM (#5738488)
Yeah, man, all the guys livin' with mama are the real power behind Trump.

Song for YR
   1498. Srul Itza Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:35 PM (#5738490)
As someone who recently avoided a run-in with a hurricane, I hope everyone suffers no more impact than I did.
   1499. perros Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:38 PM (#5738491)
But, knowing the "3" fingers needed for the "3%" sign and the Central Park "5" controversy - you'll know you need to eliminate the 3rd and 5th letters. Now what does it say?

You'te in the Van Buren Boys?
   1500. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: September 04, 2018 at 05:42 PM (#5738494)
Yeah, man, all the guys livin' with mama are the real power behind Trump.

Please get back on your meds. You were tolerable for a few days last week. Now you're back to being a tedious dink.
Page 15 of 17 pages ‹ First  < 13 14 15 16 17 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.