Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

OTP 2018 August 27: Pitching politics

George Washington was known to throw a ball—for hours, reported one soldier under his command—with his aide-de-camp during the Revolutionary War. Abraham Lincoln would join baseball games on the lawn of Blair House, which still stands across Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House. “I remember how vividly he ran, how long were his strides, how far his coattails stuck out behind,” the home’s owner, Francis Preston Blair, recalled in a letter to his grandson.

The story of baseball in the United States is intertwined with that of the presidency, says Curt Smith, a senior lecturer in English and the author of The Presidents and the Pastime: The History of Baseball and the White House (University of Nebraska Press, 2018). He traces the points of connection from the colonial era to the present, devoting a chapter to each president since William Howard Taft, who in 1910 inaugurated the practice of the president throwing out a ceremonial first pitch.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 28, 2018 at 07:27 AM | 1644 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 17 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5735570)
No, the Mueller investigation increasingly appears predicated on a false narrative. With that being said, it's best for the country to let the probe continue on a little while longer.

So you disagree? You think the investigation is illicit then? Come on dude, let's hear it. You are so very close.

Note: "predicated on a false narrative" is hilarious. A false narrative than magically generates large numbers of indictments, guilty pleas and convictions. I bet prosecutors wish all narratives which generate investigations were so "false". It is to laugh, audibly.

EDIT: Second note - David is 100% correct, you guys keep using the word "increasingly" when nothing has substantively changed. It is pretty great.
   402. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5735574)
And how often must it be repeated that, while there were actual communists inside the USG, Hollywood, and other institutions in the 40s and early 50s, there's a reason why McCarthyism is viewed as one of America's ugliest periods of the 20th century?

Gee, I wonder what Joe McCarthy and Donald Trump might have had in common?

(HINT: It wasn't a fondness for women.)
   403. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5735576)
So you disagree? You think the investigation is illicit then? Come on dude, let's hear it. You are so very close.
I said what I said. If you don't like it, shrug.
Note: "predicated on a false narrative" is hilarious. A false narrative than magically generates large numbers of indictments, guilty pleas and convictions. I bet prosecutors wish all narratives which generate investigations were so "false". It is to laugh, audibly.
That's not how this works. Sigh. You would have been awesome working alongside McCarthy and Cohn.
   404. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5735577)
Before today, none of us had seen "monkey" as racist when used as a verb.

Juan, the pampered little fancy lad that he is, is explaining to us how racists speak. How kind of him.

When Juan isn't wearing the usual conical hat that identifies a dunce, he wears this one.
   405. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5735578)
The two are hardly contradictory. Before today, none of us had seen "monkey" as racist when used as a verb. And "muck it up" is a pretty common phrase.

A Two-fer!

But go on, continue shaking your fist...

From the porch, I assume.
   406. Count Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5735579)
I'm talking about government officials during Obama's presidency and the transition, as well as a few holdovers in the weeks after the inauguration.

What part of the investigation was improper? Surveilling the Russian ambassador?
   407. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5735581)
What part of the investigation was improper?

The part where resources were devoted to something other than Pizzagate.
   408. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5735582)
That's not how this works. Sigh. You would have been awesome working alongside McCarthy and Cohn.

You know who else was awesome working alongside Roy Cohn?
   409. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5735583)
No, the Mueller investigation increasingly appears predicated on a false narrative. With that being said, it's best for the country to let the probe continue on a little while longer.

And just who gets to decide what "a little while longer" means?
   410. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5735585)
How could it be race-related when in the same interview he mentioned that Gillum was articulate?

Where have I heard such terminology before? Oh, it was Joe Biden:
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

"Clean" might make Biden's comment a little dicey, but it can't be too much of a thing if he went on to be VP.
   411. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5735587)
You know who else was awesome working alongside Roy Cohn?

Bobby Kennedy?
   412. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5735588)
What part of the investigation was improper? Surveilling the Russian ambassador?
Right off the top of my head:

Using folks like Halper (and probably Mifsud) in 2016 to attempt to entrap Trump campaign people.

The misleading, incomplete, and/or false info contained inside the FISA warrant applications.

Terminating Steele, yet still using him as a go-between.

Leaking classified info, such as the Flynn-Kislyak conversation, to the media.

Lying to Congress.
   413. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:57 PM (#5735590)
"Clean" might make Biden's comment a little dicey, but it can't be too much of a thing if he went on to be VP.
What a racist! Whew, it's a damn good thing Democrats hold Biden in total contempt.
   414. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5735591)
I'm talking about government officials during Obama's presidency and the transition, as well as a few holdovers in the weeks after the inauguration.
I also didn't think most of the dozens of Republican Congressional investigations into the Obama Administration between 2010 and 2017 were warranted, and none of them even came up with an indictment, much less a guilty verdict.

The Mueller investigation is turning out very differently.
   415. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5735592)
Not me.
   416. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5735593)

...is a great big point. Which is weird, because I would have guessed Dimwit Flathead was your intellectual progenitor.
   417. Count Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5735594)
410- Biden's comment was racist, and was widely seen as such. Not a great rebuttal.
   418. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5735595)
Could it be better? Sure. Could it be worse? Wait a bit and then you tell me, because it is going to get worse and fairly soon as these things are reckoned.

Well I agree with that. I was 3 years into my first real job when the crash hit, the org I was with decided not to give me the big 4th year bonus that everybody at the place looked forward to and sorta meant you "had arrived" -- but they did that with almost everybody because the economy was so shitty, even in NYC.

I was the IT guy and was frequently seeing the spreadsheets with the salaries of some of the senior (read: boomer) staff and when my dad died and disgusted overall at my stagnant salary I just quit.

I often look back and wonder if I had gotten my big bump if I'd have stayed in NYC and how things would have worked out. I tend to think it was a major setback in my financial life. I'm only now making about the same at my business as I was when I left NYC, and I'm tens of thousands in debt from a horrendous sports injury when I didn't have insurance. JUst as I had paid down over 70% of my student loans that #### happened.

Ugh, at least I got my health.
   419. DavidFoss Posted: August 29, 2018 at 01:59 PM (#5735597)
Science education must be analogous at the PhD level. A supervisor can understand the results, but s/he hasn't done the specific work in question before (or the work wouldn't merit a PhD). I guess, anyway.

Science advisors know their own student's work to every detail. They'll be involved in the editing process of every paper written by the group. They 'run the lab' which means they get the grant money needed to buy the expensive machines, equipment and supplies that the lab needs. They travel much more and the group's results are the subjects of all of their public talks. If the lab was a tech company your primary advisor would be like a director-level manager.

The rest of the the thesis committee is more what you describe. You need 3-4 people in your final committee and there's little chance that the other members are going to have time to read a 200-300 page tome within a week or two. They'll have a broad familiarity from going to talks from other members of your group over the years, but they'll rely on your advisor to decide whether you will pass or fail.
   420. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:01 PM (#5735598)
I said what I said. If you don't like it, shrug.

You refuse to make clear what it is you actually mean. You keep hinting, suggesting, and linking to people who hint and suggest. You get ever so close, but then you back away. It is not that I don't like what you are saying, rather I don't like a tease.

Either say what you mean or stop with the sly suggestions. I don't respect people without the stones to clearly and forthrightly state what they mean and explain and defend it before all comers. If you can't stand up and proudly defend what you think then why do you think it?

I would be embarrassed to believe something I was unwilling to speak about in public.
   421. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:01 PM (#5735599)
Using folks like Halper (and probably Mifsud) in 2016 to attempt to entrap Trump campaign people.

I LOVE IT!

The misleading, incomplete, and/or false info contained inside the FISA warrant applications.

For Citizen Page, a campaign-described coffee fetcher who left the campaign two months prior?

You misspelled 'Roger Stone'.

Leaking classified info to the media, including the Flynn-Kislyak conversation.

Yeah, leaks are bad.

Lying to Congress.

I hear that's bad, too.
   422. Srul Itza Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5735600)
When Juan isn't wearing the usual conical hat that identifies a dunce

Uh, it's not a hat when it covers the whole face.
   423. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5735603)
Science advisors know their own student's work to every detail. They'll be involved in the editing process of every paper written by the group. They 'run the lab' which means they get the grant money needed to buy the expensive machines, equipment and supplies that the lab needs. They travel much more and the group's results are the subjects of all of their public talks. If the lab was a tech company your primary advisor would be like a director-level manager.

Almost all my friends from college went into STEM PhDs. It's my understanding that you "work at the pleasure of your PhD advisor". The relationship between student and advisor at that level seems quite transactional: the student provides the labor for the lab and the prestige of the advisor, the advisor provides the rec for the post doc or whatever after the student's PhD is completed. I appreciate the formality of it to a degree. It is a club, and the club wants to do well for its members, despite the power disparity.
   424. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5735604)
410- Biden's comment was racist, and was widely seen as such. Not a great rebuttal.
Not a great comeback, Count. Biden overtly tied Obama's race to his ability to speak complete sentences.
   425. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5735605)

Not me.

My bad. The question should have been "just who should get to decide what 'a little while longer' means?"

My answer would be "Mueller". What would be yours?
   426. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5735606)
For Citizen Page, a campaign-described coffee fetcher who left the campaign two months prior?
Still trying to be dumber than a doorknob? This has been explained to you dozens of times.
   427. Count Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5735607)

Leaking classified info to the media, including the Flynn-Kislyak conversation.

Lying to Congress.

What was wrong with Halper? Mifsud was probably acting on behalf of Russia, although it's not clear where he's disappeared (maybe the FBI is hiding him from Russians now? There's a lot we don't know). The FISA applications were not misleading, incomplete, or contained false info - this is a good example of standing by lies by House Republicans after the evidence comes out showing they were lying. Who lied to Congress? And I don't know who leaked the Flynn material, but I'm glad it was leaked - the Trump administration was lying to the public about it, which you per usual don't care about. (The official Trump line is that Flynn lied to the Vice President, but he was probably acting on behalf of Trump and Kushner when he spoke to Kislyak; I assume you think that too, or else you wouldn't be so obsessed with the notion that he didn't lie to the FBI even though he pleaded guilty to doing that).

If you think that hacking into Democrats' email and then using those hacks to influence the election was wrong, you want it investigated. And given the strong evidence that the Trump campaign worked with the Russians - as I mentioned yesterday, starting with the meetings and contacts that were lied about and the timing of the attempt to hack Clinton's server- including Trump acting like the world's guiltiest person, the ties to the Trump campaign should also be investigated.
   428. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5735608)
You refuse to make clear what it is you actually mean. You keep hinting, suggesting, and linking to people who hint and suggest. You get ever so close, but then you back away. It is not that I don't like what you are saying, rather I don't like a tease.
I have said it many times but, where zonk does his stoopid impersonation, you go the obtuse route.
   429. Count Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5735611)
Not a great comeback, Count. Biden overtly tied Obama's race to his ability to speak complete sentences.

I think you're misreading me - I said his comment was racist, and your response appears to be that his comment was racist. What am I missing?
   430. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5735612)
Still trying to be dumber than a doorknob?

I know, I demonstrate extraordinary patience in continually trying to communicate with you on your own level.

Such is the curse of the bleeding heart, but I've learned to bear it.
   431. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5735613)
Still trying to be dumber than a doorknob? This has been explained to you dozens of times.

A clear sign, when you resort to personal insults and insist, INSIST I SAY!, that all this has been explained ... you know ... before. Before, totally before, so none of this should be explained now.

Sigh. I would say never change, but you did change and I liked the pre-Trump you better. Still change is a constant and one must take the good with the bad.
   432. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:13 PM (#5735614)
I think you're misreading me - I said his comment was racist, and your response appears to be that his comment was racist. What am I missing?

You need to use google translate for the English to Doorknob translation...
   433. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:13 PM (#5735616)
What was wrong with Halper? Mifsud was probably acting on behalf of Russia, although it's not clear where he's disappeared (maybe the FBI is hiding him from Russians now? There's a lot we don't know). The FISA applications were not misleading, incomplete, or contained false info - this is a good example of standing by lies by House Republicans after the evidence comes out showing they were lying. Who lied to Congress? And I don't know who leaked the Flynn material, but I'm glad it was leaked - the Trump administration was lying to the public about it, which you per usual don't care about. (The official Trump line is that Flynn lied to the Vice President, but he was probably acting on behalf of Trump and Kushner when he spoke to Kislyak; I assume you think that too, or else you wouldn't be so obsessed with the notion that he didn't lie to the FBI even though he pleaded guilty to doing that).

If you think that hacking into Democrats' email and then using those hacks to influence the election was wrong, you want it investigated. And given the strong evidence that the Trump campaign worked with the Russians - as I mentioned yesterday, starting with the meetings and contacts that were lied about and the timing of the attempt to hack Clinton's server- including Trump acting like the world's guiltiest person, the ties to the Trump campaign should also be investigated.
Shorter Count: Everything here was kosher.

Also Count: If it wasn't kosher, that's ok, because you know, it needed doing.

Later.
   434. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5735617)
My bad then. What DeSantis said was a helluva lot more benign.
   435. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5735618)
Shorter Count: Everything here was kosher.
Also Count: If it wasn't kosher, that's ok, because you know, it needed doing.

Later.

everything you ##### about applies to Trump 2x.
   436. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:17 PM (#5735619)
410- Well duh. Biden is an old-ass racist white dude. ############ launched his career by opposing integration—spent years trying to halt busing bills. (The “real racists” were, of course “the busing advocates,” who believe “that blacks have no reason to be proud of their inheritance and their own culture.”

Oh he’s also almost certainly a rapist.

What a ####### #######.

Naturally he’s the DNC’s preferred 2020 candidate.

Never. #######. Change.
   437. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:17 PM (#5735620)
I have said it many times but, where zonk does his stoopid impersonation, you go the obtuse route.

Hey, you call me obtuse with seemingly every third post. If you spent half as much time actually explaining your positions to obtuse old me we both might get somewhere. Instead you just keep refusing to explain.

Perhaps I am being dumb for seeking answers from you, but I am here to learn (and entertain myself) and I still (barely) think you might be able to impart some knowledge to me. Sadly when I ask for more information from you, your response is always to call me names rather than enlighten me.

Seriously, if you are ashamed of what you are thinking, unwilling to write it out, you should rethink your position. I can't think of any other reason - save perhaps there is no there there - as to why you utterly refuse to make clear your thoughts.
   438. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5735621)
A clear sign, when you resort to personal insults and insist, INSIST I SAY!, that all this has been explained ... you know ... before. Before, totally before, so none of this should be explained now.
Negative. I explained in detail why the Page warrant was relevant, yet he persists with the long-discredited talking point.
   439. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5735622)
Negative. I explained in detail why the Page warrant was relevant, yet he persists with the long-discredited talking point.

Heh... my recollection of your "explanation" is that involved a non-chronological theory of time-space.
   440. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5735630)
In fairness to Trumpkins generally, though -

As every day fronting for Dear Leader probably feels like Groundhog Day, I can understand the confusion with the linear time the rest of us are used to.

If it were me, I'd probably try something different - being nicer to Chris Elliott and Andie MacDowell - but people gonna make their own choices.

441. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5735632)
Oh he’s also almost certainly a rapist.

Elaborate.
   442. BDC Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5735634)
Science advisors know their own student's work to every detail. They'll be involved in the editing process of every paper written by the group

That's interesting, David. I know that most work in the sciences is collaborative (and comes from a hierarchical group), but still I'd imagined that a PhD topic (which still must be single-authored, right?) would have to be original enough that it would make advances in a direction that the supervisor didn't fathom every aspect of. Come to think of it, the scientist I knew best in grad school was a theoretical physicist who was off on his own most of the time grappling with equations that seemed to have quite an individual, creative aspect to them … but that was something of an esoteric field, and it was also almost 40 years ago …

What you describe is more like a project with specifications that the PhD candidate tackles and sort of fills in. Very few humanities PhDs are like that. The ideal dissertation in literary studies is a highly original book (not that all of them attain the ideal).
   443. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5735636)
Shocking.

“Of course it happened this way,” McGahn reportedly said, according to a person familiar with McGahn.

444. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5735637)
Biden's comment was racist, and was widely seen as such. Not a great rebuttal.

Biden's "clean" comment was certainly more problematic, but it didn't stop him from being VP - a heartbeat away from the Presidency itself - so DeSantis' far more benign comment can't be much of a barrier to a lesser office.
   445. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5735639)
Hey, you call me obtuse with seemingly every third post. If you spent half as much time actually explaining your positions to obtuse old me we both might get somewhere. Instead you just keep refusing to explain.
It's hardly a personal insult when you get called obtuse for acting... obtuse. After explaining my position on the Mueller investigation, you responded (pretended?) as if I hadn't said anything.
   446. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5735640)
Biden's "clean" comment was certainly more problematic, but if it didn't stop him from being VP - a heartbeat away from the Presidency itself - so DeSantis' far more benign comment can't be much of a barrier to a lesser office.
Yup. The left is doing their best college freshman impersonation, hurling strands of political attack pasta at the wall, hoping one sticks.
   447. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5735641)
EDIT: Second note - David is 100% correct, you guys keep using the word "increasingly" when nothing has substantively changed. It is pretty great.
That's only because you haven't been paying attention.
   448. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5735644)
My bad then. What DeSantis said was a helluva lot more benign.

He basically called a black guy a monkey. And voting for him would be blackening up the state. That is more benign? WTF is wrong with you?

edit: voting for the black guy, not DeSantis.
   449. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5735647)
441- He’s a rich and powerful man with no moral compass who has a long history of touching young women without their consent.
   450. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5735649)
After explaining my position on the Mueller investigation, you responded (pretended?) as if I hadn't said anything.

Well, you still haven't answered what I asked in #425:

Not me.

My bad. The question should have been "just WHO SHOULD GET TO DECIDE what 'a little while longer' means?"

My answer would be "Mueller". What would be yours?
   451. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5735650)
Now to be fair, you should know that I assume 70% of super-rich men are serial rapists.
   452. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5735651)

Must be doing something right, eh?

OK, I'll bite: what, exactly?

EDIT: And don't give me "the tax cut," because the economy was pretty robust before that farce.
   453. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5735652)
For the latest in climate change fail...

Scientists Warn the UN of Capitalism's Imminent Demise:
Capitalism as we know it is over. So suggests a new report commissioned by a group of scientists appointed by the UN Secretary-General. The main reason? We’re transitioning rapidly to a radically different global economy, due to our increasingly unsustainable exploitation of the planet’s environmental resources.

Climate change and species extinctions are accelerating even as societies are experiencing rising inequality, unemployment, slow economic growth, rising debt levels, and impotent governments. Contrary to the way policymakers usually think about these problems, the new report says that these are not really separate crises at all.

Rather, these crises are part of the same fundamental transition to a new era characterized by inefficient fossil fuel production and the escalating costs of climate change. Conventional capitalist economic thinking can no longer explain, predict, or solve the workings of the global economy in this new age, the paper says.
Good luck with that, fellas.
   454. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5735653)
Except for EPICBACONROCKETGENIUSK. I am 100% certain that mothrtfucker is a rapist.
   455. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5735655)
Why is conservatism so ####### stupid? Why does being a "conservative" mean denying science? I don't get it man. These are obvious truths. Why do people like Jason take glee in ignorance? I don't get it.

Science grapples with understanding a complex system, to the betterment of the future of humanity and Jason and so many on the rights response is "luolz look at the UN".
   456. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5735656)

Don't act stupid. DeSantis is probably guilty of malapropism, saying "monkey it up" instead of "muck it up."

Ya gotta admit that at best this is not a...er...um...good look.
   457. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5735659)

Did you schtup her?

It's Filipino pork & beans.
   458. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5735660)
This is ####### amazing.

His entire day is centered around people sucking his dick.

"I hope you miss the media when they leave" -- WTF is wrong with this ####### guy.
   459. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5735661)
Sigh. I would say never change, but you did change and I liked the pre-Trump you better. Still change is a constant and one must take the good with the bad.

It's a rather philosophical question, isn't it?

I mean, if you had asked me whether I "liked" Denny Hastert or Tom Delay more circa 2005 - I'd have probably hemmed and hawed about puppets and puppet masters, gone through the "and death is not an option?" checkpoint, but then ultimately, probably picked Hastert.

Of course, I didn't know at the time that Hastert molested kids.

So - did Juannity actually change.... or do we just know more now?

In 2016 and early 2017, before he went Trumpkin - I voiced sympathy for him more than once...

But then - let's review his own words, shall we?

156. Stormy JE Posted: August 28, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5735028)

If that is true, that doesn't mean it was the only thing people were talking about and criticizing.

And a longtime, regular lurker would know that I've criticized Trump plenty, most recently his classless behavior regarding McCain and the flag. Is it way less than in 2016 and even early 2017? Absolutely, because several concerns were sufficiently addressed, particularly after Bannon was shown the door.

As careful readers of the news know, Bannon was "shown the door" solely and specifically because he gave a damaging interview undercutting a completely non-Bannonesque aspect of Trumpism.

Bannon wasn't shown the door because "Geez, this guy's white nationalism is just too much!"

What's more - Trump has consistently been Trump, which is essentially a slightly less coherent Bannon - since before Bannon, during Bannon, and after Bannon.

So.... has he actually changed? Or do we just know more about him?

I land on the latter.
   460. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5735663)

Gee, I wonder what Joe McCarthy and Donald Trump might have had in common?

(HINT: It wasn't a fondness for women.)

Ironically, it's a fondness for someone who did not have a fondness for women...
   461. Stormy JE Posted: August 29, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5735668)
He basically called a black guy a monkey. And voting for him would be blackening up the state. That is more benign? WTF is wrong with you?

edit: voting for the black guy, not DeSantis.
Here's what DeSantis *actually* said:
He is an articulate spokesman for those far-left views. And I watched those Democrat debates and none of that was my cup of tea but, I mean, he performed better than the other people there, so we've got to work hard to make sure that we continue Florida going in a good direction, that we build off the success we've had under Governor Scott. The last thing we need to do is monkey this up by embracing a socialist agenda with huge tax increases and bankrupting the state. That is not going to work. That's not going to be good for Florida. So I'm going to fight for what I believe in because I think I'm the guy who can lead Florida...
Sorry, fellas, this ain't close to being racist, particularly when "muck it up" is an actual term commonly used to describe destroying something that's working.
   462. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5735669)
Sorry, fellas, this ain't close to being racist, particularly when "muck it up" is an actual term commonly used to describe destroying something that's working.

He could have also meant "macaca" I guess, right?
   463. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5735672)
Is this what passes for a presser for this admin now, him sitting around a table with his press herder screaming at the media?
   464. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5735673)
Why is conservatism so ####### stupid? Why does being a "conservative" mean denying science?

Being able to reject verifiable evidence in favor of feel-good stories is the most important aspect of conservatism. It's why the average Republican voter is a Creationist and why thinking vaccinations cause autism isn't a barrier to being their nominee for pesident.

The whole goal of the movement over 40-odd years has been to cultivate a base of credulous idiots who will gleefully believe anything their leaders tell them to the exclusion of actual evidence from people with actual expertise. I've never seen a Trumpholster who wasn't stupid. You sorta have to be to ignore how unfit he is for any position of leadership.
   465. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5735674)
Sorry, fellas, this ain't close to being racist,

Sorry Juan, you ain't close to being credible.
   466. Hysterical & Useless Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5735680)
Changed my mind.

Bet you're all glad to know that.
   467. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5735681)
Sorry, fellas, this ain't close to being racist,

Sorry Juan, you ain't close to being credible.

Even with all the legwork he and the Trumpkins have done to 'count' all of the nazis and klansmen and make their determination there aren't that many of them?
   468. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5735683)
The whole goal of the movement over 40-odd years has been to cultivate a base of credulous idiots who will gleefully believe anything their leaders tell them to the exclusion of actual evidence from people with actual expertise. I've never seen a Trumpholster who wasn't stupid. You sorta have to be to ignore how unfit he is for any position of leadership.

It just blows my mind that the average bloke working a construction gig in N. MI thinks he knows more about climate than thousands of scientists that have dedicated their lives to studying the issue. Furthermore, some of these blokes actually think there is an organized conspiracy among this community to steer billions, even trillions of dollars their way.

I mean, THIS DESCRIBES THE FF INDUSTRY HAVE YOU NOT READ THE ENRON LAWSUIT PAPERS???????????????????????????????????

FFS the Enron folks knew about the dangers of so much CO2 40-50 years ago. IT'S IN WRITING FROM THEIR SCIENTISTS.

FFS this is absurd. We are being ruled by ####### idiots.
   469. Hysterical & Useless Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5735687)
RE: job satisfaction survey.

Last year, and most of this year I was SUPER satisfied with my job. I was retired. Now I'm back at work. Expect I'll still be pretty satisfied once the paychecks start rolling in. Assuming the IT issues are straightened out so I can actually start doing the job. But no, then I'll be working, so my satisfaction will go down...
   470. Hysterical & Useless Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5735692)
one must take the good with the bad.

Isn't this better formulated as "One must take the bad with the good"? IE, you're happy to take the good, you'd be thrilled if you could get the good without any bad, but if you want to get the good you've got to accept the bad that comes along with it. I mean, I can see an argument that makes the other way okay, but it seems much less clear to me.

Yes, I don't think about the weighty political issues discussed here. I think about stupid little things like the core meanings of clichés, and whether you should be using "regard" or "regards" or if the context calls for Affect or Effect.
   471. zenbitz Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5735705)
Before DeSantis, when had using "monkey" as a verb been viewed as a racist comment?

So you acknowledge it's racist when used as a noun? That's a start. Maybe we can add "bad grammer" to DeSantis' crimes.
   472. zenbitz Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5735707)
You're off your rocker. OFF. YOUR. ROCKER.

Are you implying the freshmen who pass chemistry have passible understanding of reaction kinetics? Because you know they don't. Stoichiometry is just algebra, plus they taught it in high school.
   473. zenbitz Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5735709)
I took a full course in both stoichometry and kinetics, but I was a Chem E major. Took 2-3 courses in thermo.

Exactly. But at the level they are teaching freshmen pre-meds, why even bother. They are just going to put it on a flash card.
   474. Shredder Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5735711)
Biden's "clean" comment was certainly more problematic, but it didn't stop him from being VP - a heartbeat away from the Presidency itself - so DeSantis' far more benign comment can't be much of a barrier to a lesser office.
This is arguably the dumbest, or most disingenuous thing Clapper has ever written, which is a pretty high bar for him. It's almost as if Clapper doesn't realize, or thinks it doesn't make a difference, that Biden was selected for that position by the very guy about whom he had made the racist comment. I mean, it's almost like Obama encouraged people to forgive Biden for his comment. Personally, I think it would be quite noble of Gillum if he were to give DeSantis a job in a Gillum administration. I'm sure he'll need a janitor or something.
   475. zenbitz Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5735713)

Yes, classic microaggression.
   476. Shredder Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5735715)
It just blows my mind that the average bloke working a construction gig in N. MI thinks he knows more about climate than thousands of scientists that have dedicated their lives to studying the issue. Furthermore, some of these blokes actually think there is an organized conspiracy among this community to steer billions, even trillions of dollars their way.
Counterpoint: it snows in Northern Michigan, so QED, pal.
   477. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5735718)
Enron

Exxon?
   478. Shredder Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5735719)
particularly when "muck it up" is an actual term commonly used to describe destroying something that's working.
Which would be relevant if that was what he had said.
   479. RoyalFlush Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5735721)

Biden also apologized. Did I miss Disantis' apology?

Or are you and JE going with the "it's not racist" argument. It's hard to tell when you throw both arguments out there - "it's not racist and what about Biden!?!?"

I would think a non-apology apology would be appropriate in this case ("I mis-spoke, it was a poor choice of words - I actually meant "muck"'). Wouldn't that clear everything up?

480. zenbitz Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5735723)
If the lab was a tech company your primary advisor would be like a director-level manager.

Conveniently leaves out that PIs get exactly zero management training. And while management training may be somewhat bogus... it's not like (STEM) PIs are selected for their ability to manage people. They are selected for their ability to publish in high profile journals and raise grant money.

In my experience, the new PIs with smaller labs are much closer to their students, and their students projects. Which is usually better for a student, but depends on the student. My advisor was kinda big, old and renown. I won't say famous. Our lab was usually around 15 people IIRC. He was essentially useless as a PhD advisor, except that he bought us computers and taught (some of) us to absorb punishment when giving an oral report/seminar. He had money though so it was a good place to be a Post Doc. Very very few of his grad students ever made assistant professor.

My department chair has a lab with like 75 people in it. He has no idea what is going on. He does actually have a few middle managers, but I think most of the PhD students are left to their own devices.
   481. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5735724)
Counterpoint: it snows in Northern Michigan, so QED, pal.
Also great news: World hunger is over because I just ate.
   482. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5735725)
   483. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5735727)
Exxon?

Hard to keep my right wing villains of industry straight! The Exxon papers really are something tho, they had a budget in the hundreds of millions to employ scientists, and they concluded that C02 was leading to climate change long before your average American had ever heard of Al Gore.
   484. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5735728)
Just more than half of U.S. workers—51%—said they were satisfied with their jobs in 2017, the highest level since 2005, according to a new report from The Conference Board, a business-research group. Over the past seven years

God damn, Democrats and Republicans have successfully convinced half of the working class that no better life is possible. Down so long it looks like up!

Thatsch (sniff) I-Zhe-awl-oh-zhee.
   485. Shredder Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5735730)
Boy, I'll bet those guys at the Daily Caller are embarrassed: FBI pushes back on unfounded Trump claim that China hacked Hillary Clinton’s email. Jason would be too if he had an ounce of shame. But really, he shouldn't have believed the story in the first place. Trump himself told us that anything that relies on anonymous sources is fiction.
   486. BDC Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5735731)
On the "climate change is great, everywhere will be like Florida" front:

A Maersk vessel loaded with Russian fish and South Korean electronics will next week become the first container ship to navigate an Arctic sea route that Russia hopes will become a new shipping highway.

The Arctic voyage by the 3,600 20-foot container capacity Venta Maersk is the latest step in the expansion of the so-called Northern Sea Route which is becoming more accessible to ships as climate change reduces the amount of sea ice.

The Northern Sea Route runs from Murmansk near Russia’s border with Norway to the Bering Strait near Alaska.

But don't get your hopes up:

“Currently, we do not see the Northern Sea Route as an alternative to our usual routes,” a spokeswoman for Maersk said.

“Today, the passage is only feasible for around three months a year which may change with time,” the spokeswoman said.

Only three months open sounds pretty frigid till you remember that this used to be one of those routes, like the Northwest Passage, where even early-20th century explorers got stuck in the ice all winter and/or disappeared forever.

487. zenbitz Posted: August 29, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5735732)
but still I'd imagined that a PhD topic (which still must be single-authored, right?) would have to be original enough that it would make advances in a direction that the supervisor didn't fathom every aspect of

Nah, not really. The experiments are come with "collaboratively". Which might mean that the PI just said 'do these experiments and tell me how it comes out' or the student my lead their own ideas, with permission from the PI. it was notable that when I got my PhD in 1999 it was actually hard to get a job in industry because I didn't have a Post Doc. Post Doc work is where the really original stuff is done, and it typically shows you have your own ideas and and finish your own projects.

YMMV.
   488. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5735737)
Only three months open sounds pretty frigid till you remember that this used to be one of those routes, like the Northwest Passage, where even early-20th century explorers got stuck in the ice all winter and/or disappeared forever.

The "permafrost" ain't so perma anymore.
   489. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5735738)
Boy, I'll bet those guys at the Daily Caller are embarrassed: FBI pushes back on unfounded Trump claim that China hacked Hillary Clinton’s email. Jason would be too if he had an ounce of shame. But really, he shouldn't have believed the story in the first place. Trump himself told us that anything that relies on anonymous sources is fiction.

The Daily Caller just published it!

The blame lies with The Daily Caller News Foundation!
   490. Zonk is a Doorknob Whisperer Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:06 PM (#5735741)
Everybody should also be sure to remember that this will inevitably become one of those things Juannity has explained before... you know, just like the Secret Agent 007 Page line he spent about 6 months on.
   491. BDC Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5735742)
Post Doc work is where the really original stuff is done, and it typically shows you have your own ideas and and finish your own projects.

Interesting, zenbitz. Post-docs exist in the humanities but are rare and not really part of the typical career track; often they involve nearly full-time teaching.

People who want to get onto the research-university track in history or language/literature typically, these days, go on the job market as ABDs or just-defended PhDs already shopping their dissertations around as books, and usually already talking about "second book projects." As you can imagine, a lot of these new PhDs are in their mid-30s or pushing 40, given how long it takes to generate that kind of start on a publishing career.

When I got my PhD in 1983, I didn't even have a book idea. Heck, when I got a tenure-track job in 1990, I still didn't. Even then that was massively stupid, which is why I was on the job market for seven years :-D
   492. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5735744)
Only three months open sounds pretty frigid till you remember that this used to be one of those routes, like the Northwest Passage

On the chance of "crossing the streams": The Terror

Or this ... for OG.
   493. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:20 PM (#5735749)
Are you implying the freshmen who pass chemistry have passible understanding of reaction kinetics?

Well that's sorta what passable means, isn't it?
   494. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5735750)
particularly when "muck it up" is an actual term commonly used to describe destroying something that's working.

Sure. Did he use that term or did he use a different term, about his black opponent? Very shortly after both of them won their party's nomination? In an interview with a TV station known to pander to the basest elements of the Republican party? Go ahead, I'll wait. The first answer is in his statement you quoted. The second 2 are in the link you provided. Shouldn't be hard.
   495. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5735756)

This is arguably the dumbest, or most disingenuous thing Clapper has ever written, which is a pretty high bar for him. It's almost as if Clapper doesn't realize, or thinks it doesn't make a difference, that Biden was selected for that position by the very guy about whom he had made the racist comment.

Lol. Obama himself realized that Biden's gaffe was a poorly phrased but harmless comment, which posed no barrier to selecting Biden or electing him VP. Again, looking at DeSantis' entire statement in #461, his comment is far more benign than Biden's - the worst that can be said is that it demonstrates a syntax not unlike Dwight Eisenhower, or perhaps Casey Stengel. If Democrats are reduced to screaming racism over such matters, my guess is that they've already lost, and know it.
   496. DavidFoss Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:27 PM (#5735757)
Interesting, zenbitz. Post-docs exist in the humanities but are rare and not really part of the typical career track; often they involve nearly full-time teaching.

In a lot of STEM labs, the equipment is often extremely expensive. It is possible that tuition fees and stipends are a relatively small fraction of the cost of running a lab. If a PI has loads of funding but not a lot of students they may load up on post-docs. Or in a really big group, the post-docs might act as assistant advisors to the younger students.

It can be very corporate. At times it felt like the 'minor leagues'. The common speech the advisors tells 2nd year students is that you learn from him/her first, then you collaborate and by the end I'm learning from you. It's corny, but that was their goal.
   497. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5735758)
it was notable that when I got my PhD in 1999 it was actually hard to get a job in industry because I didn't have a Post Doc. Post Doc work is where the really original stuff is done, and it typically shows you have your own ideas and and finish your own projects.

Yeah in the hard sciences, or at least in the more rigorous biological sciences, the site of your postdoc is really what determines the imprimatur of your standing as a scientist. Your PhD lab does this as well, but from a practical standpoint only enough to get you into that top postdoc slot.

Remember as a grad student you're still a student, you're a junior colleague. The postdoc is way more unguided, there's a lot more "See what you can find out about what mechanism underlies this specific bugaboo we've been running afoul of in this particular aspect of our research focus, keep us posted." My last lab in NY was my first time in a real elite research group and the lab director had an excellent reputation for identifying postdocs who could perform at very high levels. It isn't as easy as looking for the coolest dissertation or publications, there's very much a creative and organizational aspect to it that has to be assessed personally.
   498. Shredder Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5735759)
Obama himself realized that Biden's gaffe was a poorly phrased but harmless comment
Can you post the transcript of the interview you did with Obama when he told you this, or are you just mind reading again?
"I didn't take Senator Biden's comments personally, but obviously they were historically inaccurate," he said in a statement. "African-American presidential candidates like Jesse Jackson, Shirley Chisholm, Carol Moseley Braun and Al Sharpton gave a voice to many important issues through their campaigns, and no one would call them inarticulate."
Doesn't sound to me like he thought it was a harmless gaffe. Not something that should damn Biden for eternity, but not exactly harmless. Then again, Biden didn't make any allusions to Obama being a monkey. He left that to Republicans.
   499. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5735760)
Again, looking at DeSantis' entire statement in #461, his comment is far more benign than Biden's - the worst that can be said is that it demonstrates a syntax not unlike Dwight Eisenhower, or perhaps Casey Stengel.

I bet Yogi Berra would have said "That boy takes a lickin' like the Colonel's chicken," and you wouldn't call Yogi a racist.

500. Shredder Posted: August 29, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5735765)
FLip
Page 5 of 17 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.