Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

OTP 2018 August 7: Book Explores Trump, Taft and Other Presidents Baseball Ties

“William Howard Taft, all 300 pounds of him, was a big act to follow in every sense of the word. Taft was an amateur baseball pitcher in the 1880s. He wanted to became a major league pitcher, but he settled instead to become President, and in fact later became the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. As Chief Justice, he scheduled his speaking engagements around the country in Major League cities, so that he could give a speech and then go out to a ballgame in the afternoon,” Smith said.

Smith explains that while two of the game’s most famous rituals are associated with our 27th commander-in-chief, he should only receive credit for one.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:13 AM | 1114 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 12 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:54 AM (#5722169)
Jobs Boom Favors Democratic Strongholds

“The United States is on pace to add about 2.6 million jobs this year under President Trump’s watch. Yet the bulk of the hiring has occurred in bastions of Democratic voters rather than in the Republican counties that put Trump in the White House,” the AP reports.

“On average for the year-ended this May, 58.5 percent of the job gains were in counties that backed Democrat Hillary Clinton in 2016.”

“Despite an otherwise robust national economy, the analysis shows that a striking number of Trump counties are losing jobs. The AP found that 35.4 percent of Trump counties have shed jobs in the past year, compared with just 19.2 percent of Clinton counties.”

I am not sure how much this matters, for a variety of reasons, but it is a reminder that the US is a large and non-homogeneous nation and you can't just look at the top line numbers and assume it is evenly spread out. Especially with the stark urban/rural political and economic sorting that has taken place.
   2. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:59 AM (#5722174)
From the last thread:

At least Misirlou acknowledged his ignorance,

Not exactly. I said I know, but probably only from watching "The Winds of War". I say probably, because I might have learned elsewhere in he intervening years.

Most people are not like us. They are generally incurious about the world outside of their own little piece of it. I'm sure I'm considered an oddity among my friends and acquaintances, as I know a little about a lot of things. If I had a dollar for every time someone looked at me funny and asked "How do you know that?", I'd be as wealthy as the Rothschilds.

And I want to address this:

the Jewish banker archetype is one of the most foundational tropes of Christian-Jewish relations in the West for hundreds of years.

How is that the least bit relevant to whether people should know the Rothschilds are Jewish? Even if someone knows the name, and knows they are a banking family, they are supposed to assume they are Jewish because of a stereotype? Should people assume Charles Merrill and J P Morgan and A P Giannini were Jewish?
   3. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:08 AM (#5722178)
This graph suggests that politically, Trump is badly squandering the good economic numbers.

Luckily, he's got time, because good economic numbers stay good forever.

Business Insider:
Why Warren Buffett's record-breaking cash stockpile should have investors very worried

Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway had $111 billion of cash on its balance sheet at the end of last quarter, the most in the company's history. This is an ominous sign for the health of the market and suggests that Berkshire Hathaway views it as overvalued and overly expensive.

As merger and acquisition ( M&A ) activity has roared, Warren Buffett and his investing colleagues at Berkshire Hathaway have stayed on the sidelines. ......Berkshire Hathaway...now has the biggest cash balance in the firm's storied history.

While that can be construed as good news for Buffett & Co. — since they have a veritable war chest of capital ready for deployment — it carries far starker implications for the overall market. That's because Berkshire Hathaway's reluctance to buy anything can be viewed as a signal that just about everything is too expensive . And considering Buffett is one of the most successful investors in history, his market behavior should watched closely.

.......[In February, Buffett informed his investors that] the lack of attractive pricing "proved a barrier to virtually all deals we reviewed in 2017." More notable is that Buffett has stood pat since then as stocks have continued their grind higher. Valuations have only gotten more stretched over that period, suggesting that an already tenuous situation has worsened.

.......[AJ Bell investment director] Russ Mould points out — and indicates in the chart above — that Berkshire Hathaway's cash balance has been an effective proxy for market levels over history. As you can see, Buffett held comparatively high levels of cash in the periods preceding the two most recent market crashes, in 1999 and 2007.
   4. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:09 AM (#5722179)
Court chat from yesterday:
Prosecutor: "Were you involved in any criminal activity with Mr. Manafort?"

Rick Gates: "Yes.”

Prosecutor: "Did you commit any crimes with Mr. Manafort?"

Gates: "Yes."

Is Manafort screwed?
   5. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:10 AM (#5722180)
I'd like to ask that everyone please be a little kinder than usual to Clapper this week...

Yesterday, he discovered internet ads... so I think we all know that he's in for an emotional roller coaster.

Being shocked by #6.... Finding out whatever happened to Dana Plato.... Being amazed by what Tara Reid looks like today... how this tiny company is disrupting a 200 bazillion dollar industry... three ways your dog asks for help... Enter your name, wait 15 seconds, then brace yourself... 21 celebrities who are not as rich as you think... how bunny slippers can help you lose weight...

It's a whole new world for him and he's going to need some time to adjust.

6. philphan Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:12 AM (#5722183)
And in reference to the old thread--I cannot believe that none of you are familiar with the Broadway musical The Rothschilds. (Not even Lassus?)
   7. Spahn Insane Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:15 AM (#5722185)
I am not sure how much this matters, for a variety of reasons, but it is a reminder that the US is a large and non-homogeneous nation and you can't just look at the top line numbers and assume it is evenly spread out. Especially with the stark urban/rural political and economic sorting that has taken place.

Your refusal to consider the current DJIA, and only the DJIA, in commenting on economic matters is symptomatic of The Decline™, and very much a sign of TDS. All sane liberals realize this.
   8. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:16 AM (#5722186)
Your refusal to consider the current DJIA, and only the DJIA, in commenting on economic matters is very much a sign of TDS. All sane liberals realize this.

I do know that the rise in the DJIA under Trump has wiped out the national debt, so there's that.
   9. Spahn Insane Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:17 AM (#5722188)
It's a whole new world for him and he's going to need some time to adjust.

I'd suggest adding that gross toenail fungus ad that cropped up on BBTF about 10-odd years ago, but you said we have to be kind.

EDIT: OK--you said kinder than USUAL. Carry on, then.
   10. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:21 AM (#5722189)
And in reference to the old thread--I cannot believe that none of you are familiar with the Broadway musical The Rothschilds. (Not even Lassus?)

Sadly, no. Tsk.

Is Manafort screwed?

Rick Wilson
@TheRickWilson
Paul Manafort will die in prison.
Replying to @TheRickWilson
You know, the superseding information doesn't have any state counts, of course. It's a fair bet that Manafort didn't disclose any of the tens of millions of dollars in income on his state tax returns either. In New York alone, that can bring him 75 years, just on the tax crimes

EDIT: That was not Rick Wilson replying to himself, but I don't remember who it even was and I already closed the tab.
   11. bunyon Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:23 AM (#5722191)
Can a witness just say that? I mean, I'm not saying he's wrong, but doesn't answering that question constitute a legal conclusion? If I'm a witness, I can say that I saw X shoot Y but I can't say, X committed a crime. Or have I watched too much TV?
   12. bunyon Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:24 AM (#5722192)
As to #11, I HAVE watched too much TV. The question is whether its affecting my analysis.
   13. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5722194)
   14. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:31 AM (#5722195)
Can a witness just say that? I mean, I'm not saying he's wrong, but doesn't answering that question constitute a legal conclusion? If I'm a witness, I can say that I saw X shoot Y but I can't say, X committed a crime. Or have I watched too much TV?

If you've already pleaded guilty to the crimes in question.... why not?

He's not just a witness, he's an admitted guilty participant to the crimes in question.

EDIT: What's more - Manafort's defense doesn't even seem to be arguing that the crimes in question are not crimes - they're arguing that Rick Gates did it all... It will be interesting to see how they explain that all these crimes Rick Gates alone committed ended up vastly enriching Paul Manafort and NOT Rick Gates...
   15. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:32 AM (#5722196)
Donald Trump:
Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower. This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics - and it went nowhere. I did not know about it!

Stephen Colbert on Monday night, characterizing the tweet:
"Do it to Julia!"
   16. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:36 AM (#5722198)
The linked headline in #13 is better if you sing it to the tune of "Try to Remember" from The Fantasticks.
   17. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5722201)
Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway had $111 billion of cash on its balance sheet at the end of last quarter, the most in the company's history. This is an ominous sign for the health of the market and suggests that Berkshire Hathaway views it as overvalued and overly expensive.

So this is not exactly necessarily true. Warning, the following is a tiny bit in the weeds.

Warren Buffett doesn't invest like you and I do (shocking, I know). In fact even if you could exactly emulate Warren Buffett's core philosophy, you and he still wouldn't invest in the same stocks. The reason is scale.

He mentioned the reason for this at the one B-H shareholder meeting I attended a while back (invitation from a friend, it was fun) and of course it is also obvious. If you or I find a really small company poised for explosive growth, invest $10,000 and get a 100-1 investment that is awesome! For Buffett such an investment on the behalf of B-H would be a waste of time and it would not impact B-H's financials basically at all. And the hypothetical company is not large enough (in this example) that B-H could take a large enough position to materially matter (for them).

As Buffett said in the one meeting (and certainly said before and since) this is because of the size of B-H, at this point in their "success cycle" (not the term he used) they can only really look at large companies and positions to invest in, as those are the only ones that are worth the time and energy of he and his team.

So when Buffett and B-H are sitting on the sidelines that doesn't really mean there are no long term value plays (that is what he does, he identifies good long term investments and generally holds them), it means there are no long term value plays of a size that make it worth the investment of time and energy for he and his staff to evaluate and then take a position in.

Those are - given the scale of B-H - somewhat different propositions. Additionally Buffett could be wrong (hey, it happens), so there may be good long term sizable positions available, but even if he is right, that doesn't necessarily say anything about the availability of smaller positions that are good long term investments.

Note: When he said it, it was not bragging, but expressing frustration. Finding smaller gems is almost certainly easier and more fun for someone like Buffett, as opposed to evaluating the moat of Apple for example.
   18. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:44 AM (#5722202)
I thought there was a guy named Rothschild who used to manage the Cubs.

Larry Rothschild is currently pc for the Yankees, previouslly holding that job for the Cubs. How can you call yourself a baseball fan and not know that?
   19. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:44 AM (#5722203)
How many things do you think have been said for the first time ever in a Trump White House?

Off the top of my head, I'm guessing the list includes at least:

Mr. President, PLEASE stop incriminating yourself publicly!

No, it's not actually a red button.

Yes, Mr. President, there ARE a lot of countries that end in 'stan' aren't there.

We're sure Lincoln's gold is nothing but an urban legend, sir.

No, Mr. President, we cannot show you the set where we faked the moon landing because the US really did land on the moon... several times.

No, sir, I'm afraid we cannot force any network to show the unaired episodes of Allen Gregory... no, not even by executive order.

20. DavidFoss Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:46 AM (#5722204)
how they explain that all these crimes Rick Gates alone committed ended up vastly enriching Paul Manafort and NOT Rick Gates...

Gates has admitted to personally stealing hundreds of thousands from Manafort while he was laundering tens of millions for him.

How much longer is this trial going on? Is this a few-weeks thing or a many-months thing?

21. Ray (CTL) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:50 AM (#5722205)
The argument is 1227 is bad and intentionally deceptive.

Yes. It's a bad faith argument.

2) This has nothing whatsoever to do with Hillary. Turley's hackery is simply wrong even on its own terms. Even setting aside the fact that Hillary's campaign didn't deal with Steele (let alone the Russians), the campaign finance restrictions we're discussing relate to campaign contributions. A campaign paying FMV for something is not receiving a campaign contribution; it is simply buying something. Walmart can't give $10,000 worth of supplies to Hillary's campaign -- that would be an illegal corporate campaign contribution -- but Hillary's campaign can buy $10,000 worth of supplies from Walmart. Hillary's campaign indirectly bought Steele's services; it didn't get them for free.

Speaking of intentionally deceptive, bad faith arguments. You're treating Steele as if he was separate from the campaign. That doesn't wash in this context. Steele was being paid by the campaign, was acting on behalf of the campaign, and was acting within the scope of his duties for the campaign. Thus for these purposes he was part of the campaign, just like any other campaign staffer was. As such, the information Steele (the campaign) got from the Russians was a campaign *contribution*. And thus the point here is that Hillary's campaign (Steele) got something for nothing from the Russians. The payment by the campaign to Steele is irrelevant.

That is how Turley is analyzing it, as that is obviously how it should be analyzed. The fake walls of separation and cutouts the Hillary campaign tried to put into place to wash their hands of what they were doing fools nobody except, apparently (but not really), you and yours.

(Note David's argument on this particular legal point, however, and judge it for yourself: it's fine for a campaign to get information from the Russians, as long as the campaign pays for the information. Note also that David is completely absolving the campaign of everything Steele did, since David said above: "...the fact that Hillary's campaign didn't deal with Steele." Judge for yourself how intellectually honest that is.)

See you folks tonight.
   22. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5722207)
Gates has admitted to personally stealing hundreds of thousands from Manafort while he was laundering tens of millions for him.

That's the best way to steal money - steal it from someone who can't report you to the authorities. Once Gates determined that Manafort wasn't the sort of guy to have him beaten with a claw hammer it was every man for himself.
   23. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5722208)
Ray, #982 of the previous thread:
I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't know what the definition of "fellate" was. I thought it referred to oral sex in a gender neutral way; it wasn't until I looked it up after this controversy that I realized it refers specifically to orally stimulating a man. You can see this from my "fellate Iran" comment because both "Iran" and "the left" are gender neutral terms. In contrast, with the phrase that one is a "cockholster to Trump," Trump is a man. Also in contrast, with the phrase Trump is Putin's "cockholster," both of those are men.

Jolly Andy, #1003:
Ray, "this controversy" first emerged nearly a week ago. You were called on your blatant hypocrisy well over a dozen times over the course of the next few days, and never once did you respond, although you were making comments about everything else during the same time frame.

Ray, #1225:
It wasn't hypocrisy as I've now explained. But when folks here -- apparently with nothing better to do with their time and not mature enough to do it -- descend like locusts on someone, demanding over and over again with an obsessive intensity that the person address the object of their insanity immediately if not sooner, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the person would not rush to placate the pitchfork-holding crowd.

Ray on numerous occasions beginning in May 2017, and continuing until about two weeks ago:
"These so-called "jokes" are nothing but pure hate speech by the left, who are contemptible hypocrites and homophobic bigots. I'm happy to double and triple down on this."

Ray, the last two weeks: " . . . . . "

Ray, yesterday: "Webster's Dictionary defines fellatio as..."

Ray, early this morning: "O, cruel persecution! Will no one shed a tear for the plight of the troll?"

What a shame that the newest lie you scrounged up didn't have the "locust repellent spray" effect that you wanted. You fake little chickenshit.
   24. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5722213)
Speaking of intentionally deceptive, bad faith arguments. You're treating Steele as if he was separate from the campaign. That doesn't wash in this context. Steele was being paid by the campaign, was acting on behalf of the campaign, and was acting within the scope of his duties for the campaign. Thus for these purposes he was part of the campaign, just like any other campaign staffer was. As such, the information Steele (the campaign) got from the Russians was a campaign *contribution*. And thus the point here is that Hillary's campaign (Steele) got something for nothing from the Russians. The payment by the campaign to Steele is irrelevant.

Yes, what you wrote after the first sentence is an argument in bad faith. So, thanks for the honest labeling, I guess.

EDIT: For English
   25. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5722214)

This is swell.

Mike Tyson had a tax attorney defending him for his rape trial. One can only hope that President Steamed Hams can find a suitably enthusiastic patent attorney to lend their legal acumen to his easily-defended case.
   26. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:58 AM (#5722218)
The party of innovative solutions ladies and gentlemen - Republicans Eye Another Obamacare Repeal Vote

Comedy routine, appeal to the base, or actual attempt at governance? Choose one, and if you think it the third option you are a non-serious dupe.
   27. BDC Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:04 AM (#5722221)
I cannot believe that none of you are familiar with the Broadway musical The Rothschilds

The only thing I followed more raptly than major-league baseball, in the early 1970s, was Broadway musicals. I don't remember The Rothschilds at all. We had the cast albums of Fiorello, She Loves Me, and of course Fiddler on the Roof (all by the same composers), but we didn't have The Rothschilds. Googling up a few of the songs, I have no recollection of them. 505 performances! I don't think it's had much of a run in revivals, or really ever entered the college/community-theater repertoire, and that's probably why I've forgotten all about it.
   28. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:04 AM (#5722222)
Jewish or not, I hate banks. And sorry, making a mint on currency speculation and other banking endevours that rob from the many for the benefit of a few makes you a robber baron.

Even if you strike it rich through more scrupulous means, at some point you are benefitting from the mere fact of controlling wealth through no effort of your own. There are billionaires who do things of which I politically and socially approve, but are antidemocratic nonetheless. Gross wealth inequality should be squashed by progressive steps to stop it in the first place, and through redistribution when it can be shown to be economically beneficial to the whole.
   29. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:06 AM (#5722226)
Poor, poor Paulie Nonuts....

Nobody appreciates how much he does...

He tends to speak of the commander in chief as if he were sharing a coping strategy on dealing with a Ritalin-deprived child. “It boomerangs,” Ryan says of being too critical of Trump. “He goes in the other direction, so that’s not effective.” He added, “The pissing match doesn’t work.”

Ryan prefers to tell Trump how he feels in private. He joins a large group of Trump’s putative allies, many of whom have worked in the administration, who insist that they have shaped Trump’s thinking and behavior in private: the “Trust me, I’ve stopped this from being much worse” approach. “I can look myself in the mirror at the end of the day and say I avoided that tragedy, I avoided that tragedy, I avoided that tragedy,” Ryan tells me. “I advanced this goal, I advanced this goal, I advanced this goal.”

I locked in on the word “tragedy.” It sets the mind reeling to whatever thwarted “tragedies” Ryan might be talking about. I asked for an example. “No, I don’t want to do that,” Ryan replied. “That’s more than I usually say.”

Golly... do we start the beatification now or do we have to wait until he's done "avoiding [those] tragedies"?

30. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5722228)
Secondhand Ray is the best Ray, even better than time delay Ray.

Ray, #1225:

It wasn't hypocrisy as I've now explained. But when folks here -- apparently with nothing better to do with their time and not mature enough to do it -- descend like locusts on someone, demanding over and over again with an obsessive intensity that the person address the object of their insanity immediately if not sooner, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the person would not rush to placate the pitchfork-holding crowd.

Who knew Ray was Basil Fawlty?

"Sybil, dear?

What do you want?

Got your tea for you, dear.

Just leave it outside the room.

Yes, all right, dear.

Um Sybil?

I'm not speaking to you, Basil.

Could I just have my electric razor, dear? Just for the guests? Thank you, dear.

Look, look

Basil, will you

Just let me explain.

Get your foot out of the door.

Let me explain.

I'm not interested.

When I said "That girl," I wasn't talking about that Ray something, the Australian girl. I was talking about the girl in the room next to hers in Johnson's room! Johnson smuggled a girl into his room last night. That is the one I was trying to get a look at, not that Australian hayseed.

Basil, you've had eight hours to think of something. Is that really the best you can come up with? "

31. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:10 AM (#5722230)
I find it hard to believe people didn't learn all the dirty words they could as a kid, but I'm not surprised a baseball board of geeks and nerds is less sexually curious than the average guy and gal.
   32. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:11 AM (#5722232)
Paul Ryan is a #######.
   33. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:12 AM (#5722233)
Can you believe some of these arguments the TDSers make for impeaching or forcing Trump to resign?

It's outrageous!

On the second count, that the President is 'just like the rest of us', he is the most powerful man in the world. If you and I fall into bad moral habits, we can harm our families, our employers and our friends. The President of the United States can incinerate the planet. Seriously, the very idea that we ought to have at or less than the same moral demands placed on the Chief Executive that we place on our next door neighbor is ludicrous and dangerous. Throughout our history, we have seen the presidency as the repository of all of our highest hopes and ideals and values. To demand less is to do an injustice to the blood that bought our freedoms.

So we get to the other, and in my view, only school of thought remaining. For America to move on, and we must, the Trumps must move out of the White House. Either the President should resign or be removed from office. Nothing short of this sad conclusion will suffice to restore the institution of the presidency to its former and necessary glory."

Just nutso!

While the office brings with it the duties that attend the administration of the government, as President Herbert C. Hoover wrote, "The Presidency is more than executive responsibility. It is the inspiring supreme symbol of all that is highest in our American ideals." When a president fails to fulfill his oath of office, as is the case where the law is broken in a big way or a small way (another way of saying high crimes or misdemeanors), the Constitution provides for a mechanism whereby the legislative branch might impeach him.

This may seem drastic to the average American. It is. Our founders intended it to be so because they intended the President of the United States to be the center of the government of the United States. Other constructs were considered, including the appointment of a prime minister-like president by the legislative branch, but all were rejected in favor of a strong and elected President. Alexander Hamilton defended this concept in 'The Federalist' writing, "the Executive is a leading characteristic in the definition of good government... it is essential to the steady administration of the law." Hamilton also cautioned against long suffering where a President failed to meet this high standard, writing, "a feeble Executive implies a feeble execution of government. A feeble Executive is but another name for a bad executive; and a government ill-executed... must be proclaimed a bad government."

Against this recitation of the Supreme Law of the Land, only one sad conclusion attaches; President Donald Trump must resign or be removed from the office of President of the United States.
   34. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:15 AM (#5722236)
From the previous thread:

Should people assume Charles Merrill and J P Morgan and A P Giannini were Jewish?

Who?
   35. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:17 AM (#5722238)
Steele was being paid by the campaign, was acting on behalf of the campaign, and was acting within the scope of his duties for the campaign.
Exactly like the guy from Jimmy Johns delivering subs to the campaign offices. Who, it turns out, watched The Americans on FX. Coincidence? I DON'T THINK SO.
   36. DavidFoss Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:18 AM (#5722239)
A P Giannini

He founded the Bank of Italy! :-) They made a ton of money refinancing the rebuild following the 1906 Earthquake in SF. Later, they changed their name to Bank of America.

I knew the story, but I didn't know the guys name.
   37. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:20 AM (#5722240)
Should people assume Charles Merrill and J P Morgan and A P Giannini were Jewish?

Who?

Weirdly I knew this, though I had to Google to verify I was right. One of the joys of role-playing is you learn all sorts of odd facts. This time is was research around the San Francisco Earthquake for a game scenario I wrote.
   38. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5722241)
@adamjohnsonnyc
the Senate just passed a $717 billion defense bill and not one op-ed or editorial or talking head on cable newe will ask “how will we pay for it”. Funding for bombs, guns, military bases, warships, fighter jets is simply factored in. Like gravity or entropy, it just *is*.

@adamjohnsonnyc
Sanders' vaguely proposed, entirely theoretical single payer plan has generated hundreds of studies, op-eds, and online debates; the amount of people who've even read the last 10 defense bills––which have authorized over $6 trillion in spending–can probably fit in a Kia Sedona.

@adamjohnsonnyc
Ted Lieu and Adam Schiff are my favorite resistance liberals because they go on MSNBC ten times a day telling us how bat #### and bloodthirsty Trump is then vote to give him a $717 billion military budget he unilaterally commands at will

@adamjohnsonnyc
This means 1 of 3 of things
1) The Lieus & Schiffs of the world dont actually think Trump is a real threat
2) Think he is but believe (fair or not) the DoD more or less operates on its own outside of civilian rule
3) think Trumps crazy but love funding DoD more than they fear WW3
   39. DavidFoss Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5722242)
Wells was the son of a Presbyterian minister in Vermont. Fargo's family was here longer and was ultimately from France ('Fargeau').

The Mellons were Scots-Irish.

(I'm not trying to make a point, just enjoying my googling)
   40. TDF didn't lie, he just didn't remember Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5722245)
The best part of Clapper's hissy fit is that a very quick Google search found a very reliable source (Credit Suisse) tab the entire wealth of the world at only $250T, which would set off the BS detector over Clapper's original "article" in a normal person.
   41. BDC Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:32 AM (#5722247)
the very idea that we ought to have at or less than the same moral demands placed on the Chief Executive that we place on our next door neighbor is ludicrous

As I've said before, if Pence and his ilk will kindly STFU about the sexual morality of all future politicians, I will give them a pass on their apparent hypocrisy here. I simply reckon their moral views have evolved over the past 20 years :)
   42. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:34 AM (#5722249)
538's OH-12 preview...

FWIW, while I hope to be wrong - I think team blue comes up a point or two short. Unlike PA-18, OH-12 doesn't have any of the Democratic tradition from decades past, nor is O'Connor from a traditionally powerful district family. TFA mentions grumbling about Balderson, but it seems a lot less prominent than about Saccone.

Washington, Missouri, Kansas, and Michigan also hold primaries....

Trump has Kemp'ed for Kobach in Kansas, supposedly to the consternation of the state party who seem to think Kobach is a far weaker candidate... Plus, does he have time to campaign? What with his court-ordered remedial legal education classes....

Missouri has a union-busting law on the ballot.

I think this is also Washington's first go with a top-two/jungle primary.

Michigan has a competitive race to see who gets to lose to Stabenow...
   43. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:37 AM (#5722250)
So Bubble, what's the outlook on today's special election?
   44. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5722251)
33. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:12 AM (#5722233)

Can you believe some of these arguments the TDSers make for impeaching or forcing Trump to resign?

I posted that yesterday.
   45. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:39 AM (#5722253)
@CACorrections
Today, more than 2,000 volunteer inmate firefighters, including 58 youth offenders, are battling wildfire flames throughout CA. Inmate firefighters serve a vital role, clearing thick brush down to bare soil to stop the fire's spread. #CarrFire #FergusonFire #MendocinoComplex

What a shitty ####### country this is.
   46. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:41 AM (#5722256)
I posted that yesterday.

Cokes and mea culpas...

It was a busy day, what with learning about the Rothschilds...
   47. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5722258)
The best part of Clapper's hissy fit is that a very quick Google search found a very reliable source (Credit Suisse) tab the entire wealth of the world at only $250T, which would set off the BS detector over Clapper's original "article" in a normal person.

Hell, man, most people can't even be bothered to click a link.
   48. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:43 AM (#5722259)
Cokes and mea culpas...

It was a busy day, what with learning about the Rothschilds...

No, it's fine. New thread, new eyeballs. Really, that piece of gold can't be re-posted enough.
   49. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:43 AM (#5722260)
#45 -- better the fire than the frying pan.
   50. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5722261)
@classiclib3ral:
Pro-Trump pundits realize qanon is making Trump supporters look crazy so they're begging them to stop being so ####### stupid and it's going over as well with their followers as you would think
   51. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5722262)
Schiff has to pay back the defense contractors that bankroll him.
   52. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5722263)
Pro-Trump pundits realize qanon is making Trump supporters look crazy so they're begging them to stop being so ####### stupid and it's going over as well with their followers as you would think

The top reply...

Its gonna be rad in 10 years when kurt schlicter and cernovich are the wise moderates with contracts on msnbc criticizing president tila tequila

53. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5722266)
Nothing Trump supporters do can look crazier than Dear Leader.
   54. manchestermets Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:52 AM (#5722267)
Missouri has a union-busting law on the ballot.

Are there any new weed laws on the ballot anywhere in November?
   55. BDC Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:53 AM (#5722268)
Its gonna be rad in 10 years when kurt schlicter and cernovich are the wise moderates with contracts on msnbc criticizing president tila tequila

Oh, that's absolutely the future. That's a modest estimate of what we're in for.
   56. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:55 AM (#5722271)
Weren't we also talking about sheriffs?

“I’ll say this I am extremely right winged and I view racism as normal,” he said, according to comments posted last year to one of his YouTube videos. “Just read the definition of racism and it’s not a bad thing. That’s my own belief though. I went from being a libertarian Conservative to more Authoritarian.”

This "conversion" is known as the Trumpy Two-Step....

57. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 07, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5722274)
Pence was clearly running a long con. Who moves up when DJT goes down^?

I seem to recall Trump Defenders saying how thoroughly ridiculous it is to expect the President to serve as some kind of moral center for the country.

^ For the benefit of the more sheltered among us, "goes down" doubles both as a general expression of misfortune (some might say, decline), often criminal in nature, and a gender-neutral reference to oral sexual activity.
   58. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5722276)
Old thread, 1181

I thought for sure that picture was doctored.

I'd like to think it were. Alas.

And we are the deranged ones...

I hear banjos...Paddle faster!!
   59. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5722277)

Michigan's got a legalization measure on the ballot - with the obvious jokes applying, they actually had the signatures to get it on the ballot in 2016, but didn't turn in the petitions in time :-)

Oklahoma has a medical pot law on the ballot.

EDIT: Mea culpa - OK already passed a medical measure, I believe they've got a recreational measure on the ballot in the fall
   60. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:02 AM (#5722278)
My first thought upon Trump's announcement speech was that he would destroy the GOP. I'm still hopeful on that front. I largely despise the Democrats, but I'll be voting straight ticket for the foreseeable future. Even turn out for the special election of dogcatcher.
   61. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5722281)

Weren't we also talking about sheriffs?

Guess Sam has been busy lately.
   62. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:08 AM (#5722283)
60- Eh? I’m surprised.

I want every mainstream Democrat to lose by a zillion points so the entire party gets destroyed. I went door to door getting signatures for ballot access for our Green Party senate candidate—long shot, but praying there’s a chance she’ll siphon enough votes from the incumbent Dem.
   63. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:15 AM (#5722288)
I want every mainstream Democrat to lose by a zillion points so the entire party gets destroyed. I went door to door getting signatures for ballot access for our Green Party senate candidate—long shot, but praying there’s a chance she’ll siphon enough votes from the incumbent Dem.

Perros and Davos Workers Collective
   64. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:15 AM (#5722289)
I'm good with challenging Dems in primaries and supporting every DSA and Green candidate you can, but you've got to realize destroying the Democratic Party will only move the country rightward. If you desire the same thing the GOP and its retrograde supporters do....

The real strategy should be to take the damned thing over. Are you not going to vote for Keith Ellison?
   65. Hysterical & Useless Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:17 AM (#5722290)
Though I'm not Jewish, I have long known that the Rothschilds were a very famous, very wealthy, Jewish family, principally associated with banking. I also knew that the long-standing Christian church prohibition of lending money at interest meant that historically, Jews (who were prohibited from many many occupations throughout Christendom) filled an absolutely necessary economic niche (surprisingly, almost no wealthy Christians were willing to lend money to anyone for free). I also knew that said Jews were then scapegoated as "parasites" and "leeches" (among other, less polite terms) for providing the means for economies to grow and governments to function.

I have also long been guilty of the fallacy of believing that anything I know must be common knowledge. My wife has spent 4 decades trying to disabuse me of that notion, with limited success.

So, part of me says "well, of course the Rothschilds are Jewish!" while another (smaller) part says "maybe there are people who don't know that...maybe A LOT of people don't know that."

66. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:18 AM (#5722291)
Old thread, 1234

When AIDS began to enter the public consciousness in the mid-80s, it was seen as a gay disease, and was frequently dismissed as something that happened to other people. While there were some AIDS activists who tried the strategy of screaming "homophobia!!" at people deemed insufficiently agitated about the issue, others took the approach of telling people that it wasn't a gay disease, that it didn't discriminate and anyone could get it. This wasn't really scientifically overly precise, but it was (IMO) politically much more effective.

Well, I think Magic Johnson helped that out a lot.
   67. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:22 AM (#5722297)
I went door to door getting signatures for ballot access for our Green Party senate candidate—long shot, but praying there’s a chance she’ll siphon enough votes from the incumbent Dem.

Is good choice for make America great!

Not only did Stein appear at the 2015 gala in Moscow honoring the Russian propaganda outlet RT — memorably sitting near Mike Flynn, President Donald Trump’s disgraced former national security adviser — but she spent 2016 describing the outlet’s decision to host a Green Party debate as an “inspiration” for “millions of Americans.”

Now, a new release of tweets from fake Russian Twitter accounts associated with Russia’s Internet Research Agency show how several of these accounts backed Stein’s candidacy — and tried to dampen support for Hillary Clinton in the process.

Borscht - it's what's for dinner.
   68. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:22 AM (#5722298)
When AIDS began to enter the public consciousness in the mid-80s, it was seen as a gay disease, and was frequently dismissed as something that happened to other people. While there were some AIDS activists who tried the strategy of screaming "homophobia!!" at people deemed insufficiently agitated about the issue, others took the approach of telling people that it wasn't a gay disease, that it didn't discriminate and anyone could get it. This wasn't really scientifically overly precise, but it was (IMO) politically much more effective.

That was when he declared he was going to be "a spokesman for the virus".
   69. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:23 AM (#5722299)
Sometimes I cannot help but wonder if there's a Bloombergian long con afoot to actually create a constituency that does not yet exist.
   70. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5722301)
Perros, #43:
So Bubble, what's the outlook on today's special election?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E&t=0m2s

manchester, #54:
In addition to Michigan and Oklahoma (probably-- OK's filing deadline is tomorrow), Missouri and Utah have ones for medical use only. Colorado has a technical one about loosening the definition of industrial hemp.

Signatures have been submitted in North Dakota for full legalization and expungement of past convictions. In both North Dakota's case and Oklahoma's, the collected signatures are well over the needed total; now it's a matter of official validation. And, of course, the elections.
   71. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:26 AM (#5722302)
He mentioned the reason for this at the one B-H shareholder meeting I attended a while back (invitation from a friend, it was fun) and of course it is also obvious. If you or I find a really small company poised for explosive growth, invest $10,000 and get a 100-1 investment that is awesome! For Buffett such an investment on the behalf of B-H would be a waste of time and it would not impact B-H's financials basically at all. And the hypothetical company is not large enough (in this example) that B-H could take a large enough position to materially matter (for them).

Yup, that was a recent Motley Fool's sales pitch for some product they're touting. Not that it isn't true. I like Motley Fool. They did well for me while I was in the market.
   72. Spahn Insane Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5722305)
Steele was being paid by the campaign, was acting on behalf of the campaign, and was acting within the scope of his duties for the campaign. Thus for these purposes he was part of the campaign, just like any other campaign staffer was. As such, the information Steele (the campaign) got from the Russians was a campaign *contribution*.

Add "contribution" to the long list of words (to which "fellate" was merely the latest addition) Ray doesn't know the meaning of. "Performance of services for compensation" /= "contribution," at least not in the context of campaign finance.
   73. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5722306)
Each of the two parties is a coalition of interests. The greens can win a hanndful of local races, but those elected at the state level have become Dems or independents. Our political system doesn't work for third parties past a certain threshold of voters.
   74. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5722307)
As a Michigan resident, I will not miss the unsettling Shri Thaneder ads that have pummeled my senses for the last several months.
   75. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5722310)
Not only did Stein appear at the 2015 gala in Moscow honoring the Russian propaganda outlet RT — memorably sitting near Mike Flynn, President Donald Trump’s disgraced former national security adviser — but she spent 2016 describing the outlet’s decision to host a Green Party debate as an “inspiration” for “millions of Americans.”

Now, a new release of tweets from fake Russian Twitter accounts associated with Russia’s Internet Research Agency show how several of these accounts backed Stein’s candidacy — and tried to dampen support for Hillary Clinton in the process.

Least surprising news of the year, given that Stein and Trump see liberals as the common enemy.
   76. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:33 AM (#5722313)
I’m pretty sure Jill Stein would have preferred to participate in a presidential debate on American state television, but our handsomest politicians and journalists decided that it would be best to not allow that to happen.
   77. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5722314)
I'm still mad the Deep State kept Lyndon LaRouche off the debates.
   78. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5722316)
Least surprising news of the year, given that Stein and Trump see liberals as the common enemy.

Stein, Trump, and Putin. And perhaps their oh-so-woke fellow travelers on this very board.
   79. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5722317)
Not exactly sure why appearing on Russian state TV is worse than American state TV but I’m sure there’s a good reason and not just base nationalism.
   80. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5722319)

At my university, the jocks on my residence floor took this information as proof that he was gay (and that Isaiah Thomas was one of his lovers).
   81. BDC Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5722320)
In Russia, TV appears on you.
   82. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5722323)
Each of the two parties is a coalition of interests. The greens can win a hanndful of local races, but those elected at the state level have become Dems or independents. Our political system doesn't work for third parties past a certain threshold of voters.

I don't think any political system works well when its government is populated by the vanguard of revolutionary change - right or left. Almost, if not without exception, such instances where the flanks of either side manage to control the government - they have inevitably brought about cures worse than the original diseases.

I think that pretending "this time will be different" is folly.

That said, I'm certainly happy to see someone like Cortez-Ocasio in congress - and I support more of them. I wholeheartedly agree that the last ~10 years or so - the Democrats have sorely been missing an economic counterbalance to the "cut it all!" tea party. I'd very much prefer a powerful and numerous enough part of the party that allows policy debates to function like the inverse of the TP method of the last decade... Rather than Democrats starting from a center-left position and then being forced to ultimately 'compromise' to a center-right place - debates end up moving to an amendable center-left point of compromise.

83. bunyon Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5722325)
Oklahoma has a medical pot law on the ballot.

EDIT: Mea culpa - OK already passed a medical measure, I believe they've got a recreational measure on the ballot in the fall

Funny story. OK also voted to - finally - allow sale of beer (and all beverages) with higher alcohol content than 3.2% outside of liquor stores. However, a provision of that measure held that, in order for a county to sell such alcohol, they had to also have liquor by the drink. The county I grew up did not and, so, also had to vote to approve liquor by the drink, or NO alcohol could be sold in that county, if the measure allowing >3.2% passed.

The upshot is that, had the votes gone just right, it would have been possible to buy marijuana but not alcohol in that county (and there were others). I had a plan to go home and get rich selling t-shirts that said "X county - High and Dry".

Alas, all measures passed.

Along the way, a lot of my farmer friends from childhood are seriously exploring marijuana in anticipation that full legalization is coming. Quite a few of them know very well how to grow the plant already, of course.
   84. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5722326)
To expand on 1238. Few people know who the Rothschilds are. Fewer know they are a banking family.* Fewer still know they are Jewish. I'm sure it is an important and well know fact among the Jewish community, and the non-Jewish conspiracy theorist community. But in the grand scheme of things, those communities are a small minority of the overall population.
This argument proves far too much. Most people are ignorant about most things; that can't possibly be a defense of everything. I assume that most people don't know that the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion are a classic anti-semitic text, but that wouldn't be a basis for excusing them. If I talk disparagingly of Harlem, using longstanding racist tropes, claiming that lots of people don't know that Harlem is identified with blacks would not get me far.
   85. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5722327)
If you look across the country, you'll see a good many competitive lefties, but they are running as Dems. I've been critical of Bernie Sanders, but he's a great role model for how to successfully run for office as a Socialist.
   86. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5722329)
Not exactly sure why appearing on Russian state TV is worse than American state TV but I’m sure there’s a good reason and not just base nationalism.

Probably because once one drops the hyperbole, "Russian state TV" is.... you know, actually Russian state TV. As in the government funds it and controls it. While whatever sins may exist in American media, this is not the case.

But, please proceed... tell me more about how you wanna be my latex salesman.
   87. Nasty Nate Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:47 AM (#5722330)
However, a provision of that measure held that, in order for a county to sell such alcohol, they had to also have liquor by the drink.
What does "have liquor by the drink" mean?
   88. zenbitz Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:50 AM (#5722333)
When I hear "Rothschilds" i think of candy from the late 70s. Or "So I married am axe murderer...", a movie none of you savages can remember.
   89. stig-tossled,hornswoggled gef the talking mongoose Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5722335)
No idea when or where I first encountered the Rothschilds, but yeah, I've known for most of my life about what they supposedly represent. Heck, for all I know Woody Allen referred humorously to the concept in one of his books, which I would've read in high school. And/or I'm sure the conspiracy theory was riffed on in The Illuminatus Trilogy, around the same time.
   90. zenbitz Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5722336)
Bye football outsiders got a site UI upgrade... Just sayin' Furtado... We should be able to imbed images here its 2018!!!
   91. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5722337)
I assume that most people don't know that the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion are a classic anti-semitic text

This I did know.

The rest of your post is nonsensical; comparing empirical, popular knowledge of Harlem's population to empirical, popular knowledge of the Rothschilds' religion is insane.
   92. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5722338)
What does "have liquor by the drink" mean?

As opposed to brownbagging, where restaurants can pour for a fee if you bring your own.
   93. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5722339)

This is old familiar territory and everyone knows their lines by heart. If you will indulge me a second, I want to recast this same argument in a very thin hypothetical. I can't prove this hypothetical happened, but I would be shocked if it didn't (and I expect everyone else would also be shocked). We know that foreign governments and senior foreign officials gave money to the Clinton Foundation. Might the Trump campaign (either directly or indirectly through cut outs) have sent investigators to these countries to see if they could dig out any quid pro quo stench that could be used to further the on-going Clinton Foundation attacks? If they did, would anyone even think once, let alone twice, about whether this was appropriate or not? I'm sure that someone will argue that this isn't the same situation as Steele, but its not going to be me.
I think that would have been perfectly legitimate. That's standard oppo research.

That is nothing remotely like a foreign government -- especially an enemy one -- meeting with a candidate and saying, "We want to help you win the election. We have some dirt on your opponent for you. Oh, and let's talk about what you can do for us in exchange..." No sane person thinks the former is worse than the latter. (In fact, I doubt insane people do, either; I think only dishonest people pretend to think that.)
   94. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5722341)
I assume that most people don't know that the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion are a classic anti-semitic text,

It's easier to assume that most people don't know about the Protocols text at all, in any fashion of any kind.
Most people that know about it are either raging anti-Semites, Jewish (because of the attack against them), or people who heard someone from either side talk about it in the first place and then looked up information.

If I talk disparagingly of Harlem, using longstanding racist tropes, claiming that lots of people don't know that Harlem is identified with blacks would not get me far.

Right, but what does this have to do with the name Rothschild and the ad/article Clapper posted?

There wasn't anything in the article that stated they were Jewish. There wasn't anything in the article that implied them being rich was "bad", and in fact they talked about the philanthropic side of the family. There were none of usual tropes about Jews/evil/greed in the article at all. The only part that stands out is the amount of money ($700 trillion) and unless someone is quite familiar with world finances they probably wouldn't bat an eye. And even if they DID think that amount was too high, I'm not sure if they think it is so high as to be some sort of anti-Semite trope instead of a typo/miscalculation.

If you didn't know the Rothschilds were Jewish, there isn't anything in that article that says "anti-Semite".
   95. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:01 PM (#5722344)
As in the government funds it and controls it. While whatever sins may exist in American media, this is not the case.

Which is probably why I find PBS/NPR to be horse manure.

Not that corporate-funded cable news with PR mouthpieces for foreign-supported think tanks are any better.
   96. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:02 PM (#5722345)
We should be able to imbed images here its 2018!!!

Oh, please no.

One of the appeals to this site is that any images/links are voluntarily viewed, not forced upon us.
   97. perros Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:09 PM (#5722349)
It's easier to assume that most people don't know about the Protocols text at all, in any fashion of any kind.

People don't read anymore. There's little question we are a post-literate society.

I was accused a while back of being a mile wide and an inch deep, but I think I'm pretty damned literate, and willing to hunt out sources spanning the globe. I wish I had been able to travel and learn multiple languages. I could probably tell you where a foreign film is made, though.
   98. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:10 PM (#5722350)
That does not mean that it does not make me uncomfortable that there is a coordinated effort to silence a group for having disagreeable views. I'd feel that way even if they were the Communist Party. Especially given that this is all ad hoc and whim; there's no specific established rule they violated, but it's just "They're kooks who say things that offend most people."

But it is private enterprise doing it and not the government*. I thought private individuals and companies were free to make whatever agreements they wanted? Private companies refusing to carry some content is a feature not a bug, according to most Libertarian "philosophy" that I am familiar with, so I am unclear why this action gets the "censorship" tag from you. Infowars can just go to a different private platform.
They can go to a different private platform unless the private platforms all coordinate with each other to exclude them. Which, I mean, obviously they are; they didn't all just coincidentally decide to do this to Infowars at the same time.

Again, yes, private individuals and companies are free to make whatever agreements they want. My statement has nothing to do with rights. Like many, you seem to confuse libertarianism with non-judgmentalism. "You should be free to do X" is not at all synonymous with "You should be free from criticism for doing X." I am criticizing them because it makes me uncomfortable for these major platforms to silence a guy just for being a jerk. Despite the snarky tweet reposted by Gonfalon ("First they came for Infowars, and I didn’t say anything because I didn’t like Infowars.... Then they never came for me because I never accused grieving parents of murdered children of being crisis actors.") in fact there is no limiting principle here. It won't end with the banning of people who accuse grieving parents of murdered children of being crisis actors. (Prof. Volokh, one of the foremost first amendment scholars in the country, talks about the concept of "Censorship Envy." What he means by that is that when group A succeeds in getting the speech that bothers them banned, that inspires copycat campaigns from groups B, C, D, and so on.)
   99. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:13 PM (#5722352)
Most people that know about it are either raging anti-Semites, Jewish (because of the attack against them), or people who heard someone from either side talk about it in the first place and then looked up information.

Or fans of Will Eisner

The second half of #94 was what I was going to post but didn't have the time or clarity of thought to do so, thank you.
   100. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:14 PM (#5722353)
Stein, Trump, and Putin. And perhaps their oh-so-woke fellow travelers on this very board.

Birdbrains of a feather do tend to flock together.
Page 1 of 12 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robneyer
for his generous support.