Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

OTP 2018 August 7: Book Explores Trump, Taft and Other Presidents Baseball Ties

“William Howard Taft, all 300 pounds of him, was a big act to follow in every sense of the word. Taft was an amateur baseball pitcher in the 1880s. He wanted to became a major league pitcher, but he settled instead to become President, and in fact later became the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. As Chief Justice, he scheduled his speaking engagements around the country in Major League cities, so that he could give a speech and then go out to a ballgame in the afternoon,” Smith said.

Smith explains that while two of the game’s most famous rituals are associated with our 27th commander-in-chief, he should only receive credit for one.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:13 AM | 1114 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 12 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12
   1101. tshipman Posted: August 12, 2018 at 09:37 PM (#5725494)
The problem with the Omarosa story is that she impeaches her own credibility, since she was singing the opposite tune earlier. So however plausible the notion that Trump used the n-word during the filming of the Apprentice may be (*), Omarosa's statement -- which is not even that she personally saw it but that she heard a tape of it -- doesn't help us at all given that she is a witness against herself.

It's not like it matters. You would still support him, for example.
   1102. Ray (CTL) Posted: August 12, 2018 at 09:42 PM (#5725496)
I somehow got logged off and accidentally saw his post. It was of course idiotic, as though there's no possibility that the reason there were so few white supremacists is because they may be starting to be shamed back into the shadows by the overwhelmingly superior numbers of counter protesters.

Seems to me superior numbers of counter protesters -- i.e., attention -- would be more likely to bring the white supremacists out.

_Ignoring_ the white supremacists is the best way to "counteract" them -- rather than fanning the flames by showing up to protest them.
   1103. greenback slays lewks Posted: August 12, 2018 at 09:45 PM (#5725497)
I mean, nobody pats you down, but still. I imagine Omarosa lied when she said she had turned in her phone.

Meh, she was about to be fired, and she's not getting anything vaguely resembling a security clearance again (if she even had one in the first place). The primary consequence is that a bunch of randos on the Internet get to show off their vast knowledge of "SCIFs."
   1104. Ray (CTL) Posted: August 12, 2018 at 09:51 PM (#5725498)
And how exactly were the counter-protesters to know ahead of time that only a couple of dozen would show up? They showed up expecting a repeat of Charlottesville.

Yup.

Precisely the problem. This is a blood sport, not actually anything that's productive or helpful in reducing racism.
   1105. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 12, 2018 at 10:04 PM (#5725501)
I know you're interested in scoring points against " modern liberals" but ignoring racism isn't going to end it, SBB.

Do you act against racism? If so, how?

He used to post fierce comments about the Washington Redskins name. He probably made more accusations of racism about Redskins fans than he has about the entire Trump administration put together.

And said more bigoted #### about Muslims than any other poster ...

Remember the ground zero mosque thread?

And his all-out defense of French rule in Algeria. Good times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to be in the same zip code as one of SBB's arguments, but the issue isn't ignoring racism; it's ignoring racists. People do not march to burn calories; they march for attention. Giving them attention is counterproductive.

I'd agree with that as a general proposition, but doxxing people who voluntarily take part in alt-right demonstrations is where I'd make an exception. Openly expressed extreme racism has no moral claim to remain consequence-free.

Speaking of people who shouldn't be given any more free publicity, I'd say Prime Example #1 would be those live streams of every goddam Trump rally that you see on the websites of most mainstream news organizations. Since Trump almost never varies his message, I fail to see why that same message keeps taking up so much space.
   1106. Ray (CTL) Posted: August 12, 2018 at 10:13 PM (#5725502)
I know you're interested in scoring points against " modern liberals" but ignoring racism isn't going to end it, SBB.

Do you act against racism? If so, how?

He does. By telling you to ignore racists.
   1107. greenback slays lewks Posted: August 12, 2018 at 10:27 PM (#5725507)
I'd agree with that as a general proposition, but doxxing people who voluntarily take part in alt-right demonstrations is where I'd make an exception. Openly expressed extreme racism has no moral claim to remain consequence-free.

It sure looks like doxxing has been an effective counter-measure to these rallies. These assemblies are supposed to serve as a recruiting tool by demonstrating pride, confidence, strength, etc. But when the Nazi crowd is tiny, they're all wearing burqas, and the only thing keeping the Nazis from getting torn apart is the local police, the exact opposite perception is generated. Maybe the Nazis can get away with a march like this in Neshoba County, but they'll always get embarrassed in a major metropolitan area.
   1108. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 12, 2018 at 10:36 PM (#5725516)
It sure looks like doxxing has been an effective counter-measure to these rallies. These assemblies are supposed to serve as a recruiting tool by demonstrating pride, confidence, strength, etc. But when the Nazi crowd is tiny, they're all wearing burqas, and the only thing keeping the Nazis from getting torn apart is the local police, the exact opposite perception is generated. Maybe the Nazis can get away with a march like this in Neshoba County, but they'll always get embarrassed in a major metropolitan area.

Exactly. Keep the idiots like Antifa and their idiotic antics away, and just shout them down, no matter what their numbers are. The more feeble they appear in the face of non-violent resistance, the better.
   1109. greenback slays lewks Posted: August 12, 2018 at 10:38 PM (#5725521)
You know JE is serious about his self-imposed pseudo-exile when a juicy rumor about Keith Ellison surfaces, and he doesn't post anything about it.
   1110. Ray (CTL) Posted: August 12, 2018 at 11:14 PM (#5725540)
President Trump lets security haul away Post reporter for asking question

By Kevin Sheehan and Bruce Golding August 12, 2018

President Trump is a such a big believer in the free press that he let two bodyguards physically remove a credentialed Post reporter who had the temerity to ask him a question in public on Sunday.

Just kidding, it was Mayor de Blasio.
   1111. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 13, 2018 at 12:26 AM (#5725564)
When entering federal court you go through a metal detector and then are required to put your phones in a bin in exchange for a number.
Not if you're a lawyer!

EDIT: I mean, you still have to do the metal detector thing even if you're a lawyer.
   1112. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: August 13, 2018 at 12:29 AM (#5725565)
President Trump is a such a big believer in the free press that he let two bodyguards physically remove a credentialed Post reporter who had the temerity to ask him a question in public on Sunday.
Nothing disingenuous about this description at all... lol.
   1113. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 13, 2018 at 08:37 AM (#5725575)
I submitted a new thread, so watch for it.
   1114. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 13, 2018 at 09:22 AM (#5725585)
And here the new thread has arrived. All hail the new thread!

New thread! New Thread! New Thread!
Page 12 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Vegas Watch
for his generous support.