Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 16, 2018

OTP 2018 July 16: Why Does President Trump Balk At Attending Baseball Games?

As the World Cup finale plays in my living room, it’s seems like the right time to reflect on “America’s pastime” – baseball – and its curious standing these days.

The sport gets it close-up on Tuesday night, when the Major-League All-Star Game is played in the nation’s capital. President Trump is not expected to be attendance, though he easily could zip over to the festivities upon his return from his meeting with Vladimir Putin.

Dating back to William Howard Taft in 1910, every president has done the season’s ceremonial first pitch at least once. So far, Trump’s twice declined to participate in that ritual.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 16, 2018 at 10:24 AM | 1502 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   301. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5711113)
The NYT just did the “Trump and Putin are gay lovers” cartoon yesterday. Also
   302. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:31 AM (#5711114)
Flip, for all the children of Russia, Ray understands your plight.
   303. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:31 AM (#5711115)
One interesting side effect of the Trump-Russia stuff is that it’s given liberals an opportunity to use “faggot” as a synonym for “weak man” again.

Wait...what? Has someone done that here? Or you just looking through twitter for the worst posts and saying that speaks for all people?

Well I guess I don’t know who you guys are or what your politics are. So I guess I don’t know if these are by liberals. But:

238: “I think JE would strenuously object to the assertion that the President of the United States happily getting cucked by Putin has no negative impact.”

268. “So strong! So powerful! What a man! Trump really is a pu$$y.”

273. “When do you think Putin will start forcing Trump to refer to himself as Reek* in public like he already does in private?“

*(Reek is a fictional character from Game of Thrones who was raped and castrated, it appears—though since I don’t watch the show I may be missing the reference.)

286: “278 is a completely new level of cockholster crazy.“
   304. Eddo Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:31 AM (#5711116)
The NYT just did the “Trump and Putin are gay lovers” cartoon yesterday.

The joke in that cartoon isn't that they were gay, it's that they are lovers. If either was a woman, the joke still holds that the ####### U.S. President is acting like they are married to the Russian President.
   305. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:32 AM (#5711117)

I love it when one cartoon speaks for all liberals. Cool logic bro.

EDIT: Never mind. Davos has his story and he is sticking with it, no matter what lengths he has to go to. I guess conservatives are now the bastion of gay rights. Or something.
   306. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:35 AM (#5711118)

As opposed to all of the people who _want_ to be under federal investigation?

C'mon, Ray. You know what I mean. They sure are acting pretty guilty for people with nothing to hide.
   307. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:37 AM (#5711120)
273. “When do you think Putin will start forcing Trump to refer to himself as Reek* in public like he already does in private?“

*(Reek is a fictional character from Game of Thrones who was raped and castrated, it appears—though since I don’t watch the show and may be missing the reference.)

No, Reek was not raped.

He was castrated though.
   308. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5711121)
The joke in that cartoon isn't that they were gay, it's that they are lovers. If either was a woman, the joke still holds that the ####### U.S. President is acting like they are married to the Russian President.

No, no - don't interrupt.

The SJW is trumpsplaining how homophobia works.
   309. perros Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:43 AM (#5711123)
Oh joy, Ray gets to play "adult in the room" again.

The bunch of you playing kindergarten enables him.

I don't have the patience this week, only leave this link for the few of you who are able to read something other than Twitter.

Trump 'Treason' in Helsinki?
   310. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:43 AM (#5711124)
I guess conservatives are now the bastion of gay rights

This calls for the coining of a new acronym...

You've heard of SJWs.... now meet the OSJWs
   311. perros Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:49 AM (#5711127)
One interesting side effect of the Trump-Russia stuff is that it’s given liberals an opportunity to use “faggot” as a synonym for “weak man” again. It must have been hard work to keep your homophobia and sexism hidden during the Obama years, or to constantly pretend to be outraged by the “Michelle Obama is a tranny!”-style attacks.

They're in the closet for John Bolton.
   312. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5711128)
“That weak man is actually a woman/homosexual” is toxic thinking, grossly insulting to both women and gays. Conservatives used it against Obama because hating women and gays was practically their entire party platform. But watching liberals use it on Trump, though—makes it seem like their support for the LGBT community was just strategic lip service.
   313. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5711129)
Trump has been in Putin's pocket so long, he's on a steady diet of lint.
   314. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5711130)

Trump is a huge #####. Huge. He’s hidden behind lawyers his whole life and only engages in his blustery bombast when there’s no risk of getting #####-slapped verbally or otherwise.

Honestly Trump and his Trumpholsters are perfect examples of why allowing vast disparities in wealth and political influence to be used as weapons without limit while at the same time enacting a strict and total prohibition of using physical force to even limited ends can lead to a sort of bullying sacklessness where you rhetorically replace physical prowess with mere wealth. Trump is a fat, old, lazy, bald loudmouth who has avoided anything more physical than doddering up a flight of stairs for his entire life. Trump is a pussy’s idea of a tough guy.

But I never called him a faggot or even hinted at it. So find something else to lie about.
   315. BrianBrianson Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:52 AM (#5711131)
One interesting side effect of the Trump-Russia stuff is that it’s given liberals an opportunity to use “faggot” as a synonym for “weak man” again.

Stupidest thing I ever heard. The defining characteristic of a faggot is that being bundled together makes it strong. Why do you think the Fascists adopted it as their symbol?
   316. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:56 AM (#5711134)
I don't have the patience this week, only leave this link for the few of you who are able to read something other than Twitter.

Using the technical definition of a word straight from a dictionary (or in this case a legal dictionary) to criticize common usage is something I hadn’t seen since high school debate club. So edgy!
   317. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5711136)

My father is a #MAGA hat wearing true believer actual Trumpkin. He went to see Trump speak* at Freedom Fest 2015 in Vegas and afterwards proudly announced to my mother and I, "I think I've just seen the next President of the United States".

Well, he wasn't wrong, there, was he...
   318. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5711137)
Honestly Trump and his Trumpholsters are perfect examples of why allowing vast disparities in wealth and political influence to be used as weapons without limit while at the same time enacting a strict and total prohibition of using physical force to even limited ends can lead to a sort of bullying sacklessness where you rhetorically replace physical prowess with mere wealth. Trump is a fat, old, lazy, bald loudmouth who has avoided anything more physical than doddering up a flight of stairs for his entire life. Trump is a pussy’s idea of a tough guy.

This is so wrong and unfair.

Trump doesn't do stairs. He descends and ascends on golden escalators.
   319. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5711142)
He does stairs but holds on to people or railings so he doesn’t totter over. This has been widely reported in various outlets as a quick consult with a Google will confirm. I assume one of our resident medical experts will be able to diagnose exactly what neurological condition causes the healthiest man in the history of the presidency to hold on desperately to Theresa May in order to manage a few steps.

Perhaps some form of peripheral neuropathy caused by too many consecutive hours tweeting on the toilet? I’m just speculating.
   320. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:12 AM (#5711145)
He does stairs but holds on to people or railings so he doesn’t totter over. This has been widely reported in various outlets as a quick consult with a Google will confirm. I assume one of our resident medical experts will be able to diagnose exactly what neurological condition causes the healthiest man in the history of the presidency to hold on desperately to Theresa May in order to manage a few steps.

How many times does Dr Feelgood have to hold a mirror under his nostrils to prove to you libtards that he's the healthiest, most mentally dexterous man alive?
   321. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:13 AM (#5711146)
 303. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: July 17, 2018 at 10:31 AM (#5711115)

Wait...what? Has someone done that here? Or you just looking through twitter for the worst posts and saying that speaks for all people?

Well I guess I don’t know who you guys are or what your politics are. So I guess I don’t know if these are by liberals. But:

238: “I think JE would strenuously object to the assertion that the President of the United States happily getting cucked by Putin has no negative impact.”

*(Reek is a fictional character from Game of Thrones who was raped and castrated, it appears—though since I don’t watch the show I may be missing the reference.)

286: “278 is a completely new level of cockholster crazy.“

I see. So when you say people are using the word faggot, you meant that people aren't using the word faggot.

Cool post though.
   322. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:16 AM (#5711148)
The last 2 flips have been badly mishandled. We need to up our game.
   323. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5711150)
The last 2 flips have been badly mishandled. We need to up our game.

"Flip"? "Up our game"?

These are all terms used to demean women and homosexuals and I, for one, will not stand for it.
   324. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:24 AM (#5711153)
I’m so woke I don’t use the word “fruit” because of its anti-homosexual history. Now come join me over a nice ripe pome or some drupes.
   325. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5711155)
After yesterday, I can't wait for this new summer blockbuster movie: Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin star in the tender story, Brokeback Moscow.

"Vhy I can't qvit you, Comrade...?"
   326. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5711156)
#278 is one of the more absurd things written in the OTP threads in quite a while, so it's incredible that Moose Tracks was able to top that within an hour.
   327. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:32 AM (#5711157)
#278 is one of the more absurd things written in the OTP threads in quite a while, so it's incredible that Moose Tracks was able to top that within an hour.

I don't know about you guys, but when I survey all the harm I've managed against Russians, women, and the LGBTQ community this morning -- I feel like I've worked up enough of an appetite that I might order a lunch entree from the dinner menu.
   328. BrianBrianson Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5711159)
I feel like I've worked up enough of an appetite that I might order a lunch entree from the dinner menu.

Have the faggots and mash, it's delicious. Spring for a second pint.

329. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5711161)
No, Reek was not raped.

He was castrated though.

In the book, he was at one point forced to give oral to a girl. Which still doesn't fit the context that Davo is implying it does.
   330. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5711165)
In the book, he was at one point forced to give oral to a girl. Which still doesn't fit the context that Davo is implying it does.

Oh yeah - Jane-Sansa, IIRC...

Of course, Jamie "cucked" Robert too... and Davo doesn't quite grasp that one, either.
   331. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5711167)
Reek Reek it rhymes with Superfreak
   332. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5711168)
Jane-Sansa, IIRC...

Yep, that's the one. Though she spells it Jeyne.
   333. Random Transaction Generator Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5711170)

Holding hands doesn't mean they are gay OR lovers. It shows affection and/or respect.

I mean, there are many examples of it. I guess you aren't paying attention.

The fact that you think it means they are "gay lovers" is probably more of a reflection on you than on the Daily News.

Oh, and if you want to comment about Putin being shirtless in the cartoon, that's simply because the man LOVES to take off his shirt whenever given the opportunity.

334. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5711172)
Humorless prigs are such a drag.

“Why did the chicken cross the road?”

“I don’t see how you can joke about this when billions of chickens live lives of excruciating misery in tiny battery cages and never get to walk anywhere.”
   335. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5711173)
I personally don't like using any kind of sexual metaphor in the context of power, power imbalance, and so forth. I think it is inappropriate and kind of distasteful for a whole host of reasons. That is why I don't use that kind of metaphor.

Use of that sort of metaphor, however, is extremely common on all sides and has been for millennia. And while it is disrespectful - in large part - to the LGBTQA community, it is also such to straight men, women, and well pretty much everyone. Not equally I admit, but still it is hardly some sort of unique weapon deployed only against "teh gay".

But this sub-thread has distracted most people from the profound stupidity of Ray's post. So ... ummm ... well done?
   336. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5711176)

Ingraham:
“It's complex,” Ingraham said of foreign policy during a panel discussion on her show The Ingraham Angle Monday night. "[Trump is] new to it… he's a year and a half into this."

Oh, FFS... Really? With a straight face, yet?
   337. McCoy Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5711177)
Well, we can always talk about meat.
   338. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5711178)
But this sub-thread has distracted most people from the profound stupidity of Ray's post. So ... ummm ... well done?

Well, that's the problem with such things... there's really just so much mocking you can do against such a target.

Until we start earning XP for it, one tires of hunting boars in the woods quickly and moves on to the next quest.
   339. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5711179)
I don't understand post 303. You said that people had used the word "faggot," and then when asked about it you gave a bunch of examples that did not use the word "faggot."

EDIT: Coke to Misirlou.
   340. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5711182)
Oh, FFS... Really? With a straight face, yet?

Second warning.
   341. Traderdave Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5711183)
Trump surprised at fierce criticsim of Putin news conference

Immediately after his news conference, Trump's mood was buoyant, people familiar with the matter said. He walked off stage in Helsinki with little inkling his remarks would cause the firestorm they did, and was instead enthusiastic about what he felt was a successful summit.
By the time he'd returned to the White House just before 10 p.m. ET on Monday, however, his mood had soured. Predictably, the President was upset when he saw negative coverage of the summit airing on television aboard Air Force One. It was clear he was getting little support, even from the usual places.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now we know why Ray so deeply loves his Dear Leader -- they share a complete lack of self awareness and an outsize sense of their own abilities.

342. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:57 AM (#5711184)

I just find it so interesting that the same folks who (rightly) can never stop talking about how people south of the border should be able to come here to improve their lives can't find enough compassion in their hearts to care about people living under Putin in Russia.

Is there a Russian immigration ban I'm unaware of?
   343. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5711185)
Adoptions!
   344. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 11:59 AM (#5711187)

It was clear he was getting little support, even from the usual places.
This rather undersells it; he was getting massive criticism, even from most of the places that usually give him support. If he really thought it went well, he's even more delusional than I've ever given him credit (?) for.
   345. Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5711189)
My apologies. I accused you of using homophobic insults. However, since you never used the f-word, those insults can’t be homophobic.
   346. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:02 PM (#5711192)
Don’t be so ######. “One interesting side effect of the Trump-Russia stuff is that it’s given liberals an opportunity to use “faggot” as a synonym for “weak man” again.” You even put it in quotes.

Trump is a physical, emotional, and mental weakling even if he never touched a penis that wasn’t his own.
   347. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5711196)
My apologies. I accused you of using homophobic insults. However, since you never used the f-word, those insults can’t be homophobic.

No, you don't get to do this. You don't get to lie about what people said and then get all indignant when called on the lie. Who do you think you are, Trump?
   348. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5711197)
This rather undersells it; he was getting massive criticism, even from most of the places that usually give him support. If he really thought it went well, he's even more delusional than I've ever given him credit (?) for.

Sergey Lavrov said it was super - better than super, fabulous.

So, you know, to be fair - analysis and impressions were decidedly mixed if you average them out.
   349. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:09 PM (#5711200)

You were the one who explicitly said "faggot" had come back into the liberal lexicon. When pressed for some examples, you provided examples, none of which contained that word.
   350. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:10 PM (#5711202)

Immediately after his news conference, Trump's mood was buoyant, people familiar with the matter said. He walked off stage in Helsinki with little inkling his remarks would cause the firestorm they did, and was instead enthusiastic about what he felt was a successful summit.

Someone was saying something about derangement...?

EDIT: maybe he considered it "successful" because he left with the complete kompromat intact?
   351. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:13 PM (#5711203)
Jules Suzdaltsev on Twitter:
Today was the day Vladimir Putin finally became President
   352. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:14 PM (#5711204)
#264:
Fox News host Laura Ingraham played down concerns about President Donald Trump’s foreign policy strategy after his performances at a NATO summit, on a visit to the U.K., and after a one-on-one meeting with Russia’s President Vladimir Putin.
“It's complex,” Ingraham said of foreign policy during a panel discussion on her show The Ingraham Angle Monday night. "[Trump is] new to it… he's a year and a half into this."

There must be similarly sympathetic "growing pains" Fox News clips from July 2010.
   353. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM (#5711205)
Davo's Favorite, #312:
“That weak man is actually a woman/homosexual” is toxic thinking, grossly insulting to both women and gays. Conservatives used it against Obama because hating women and gays was practically their entire party platform. But watching liberals use it on Trump, though—makes it seem like their support for the LGBT community was just strategic lip service.

No, strategic lip service is what happened behind closed doors in Helsinki. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc

Presumably there must be some liberals out there seeing these kinds of "Putin's bitch" jokes and going "haw haw, Trump's a homo" even when the obvious and open premise is that Trump is Putin's fawning servant. But there are a lot more conservatives who are emotionally shaken because these jokes reflect the widespread agreement that their strong, cruel, winning alpha male proxy that made them feel good about themselves has turned out to be a fragile, foolish, cowardly, curtsying stooge.

Jokes about Trump giving Vladimir the old Moscow Mouthful are just a metaphor for Trump's comprehensive failures as a leader and as a human. Some people do interpret jokes at surface level only, but that's a fundamental error when the jokes are literally about the discrepancy between image and reality.
   354. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:17 PM (#5711206)
I think the real problem is that the WH comms team forgot to announce it's infrastructure week again.
   355. Avoid Running At All Times- S. Paige Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:21 PM (#5711209)
“Immediately after his news conference, Trump's mood was buoyant, people familiar with the matter said. He walked off stage in Helsinki with little inkling his remarks would cause the firestorm they did, and was instead enthusiastic about what he felt was a successful summit.
By the time he'd returned to the White House just before 10 p.m. ET on Monday, however, his mood had soured. Predictably, the President was upset when he saw negative coverage of the summit airing on television aboard Air Force One. It was clear he was getting little support, even from the usual places.”

Lol. That for some reason puts me in mind of the kids in the hall sketch where David Foley plays an actress accepting an Oscar and unwittingly thanks Hitler among others. Only as she’s getting off stage and utter silence ensues she realizes “I thanked Hitler. I thanked Hitler.”

Is this politically damaging for Trump though? I know the establishment has universally derided him for what happened, but does this put his poll numbers down?
   356. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5711214)
Is this politically damaging for Trump though? I know the establishment has universally derided him for what happened, but does this put his poll numbers down?

Putin was already polling 10 points ahead McConnell among GOP voters, so my guess is no.
   357. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM (#5711219)
So there you go.

David Duke @DrDavidDuke

What happened in Helsinki is Historic. I my lifetime I have never seen such a courageous attack on the whole of the ZOG, the Zionist Occupied Government of the United States and the Zionist Occupied Media! Today Trump is a Hero! Trump is no Jesus but they hate him as much!!!!!!
6:39 PM - Jul 16, 2018

David Duke @DrDavidDuke

Bravo Trump! Bravo Russia! Bravo to all the true American Patriots who put America first and Peace and Justice first before the Zionist Deep Evil State ruling American Media and Politics. Russia has values America once had and America the values that Communist Russia had!
6:43 PM - Jul 16, 2018

That makes Rand Paul, Sergey Lavrov, AND now David Duke who thought Help Stinky was awesome.

Some of you sure do have eggs on your face with your premature analysis, don't you?
   358. McCoy Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:37 PM (#5711220)
15 year old girl dies because allegedly she confused a peanut containing chips ahoy bag for a peanut free bag of chips ahoy. One is blue and one is red. One has a Reese’s peanut butter logo on it and one doesn’t. Now granted chewy chips ahoy have a red package as well so I’m guessing they’ll be changing that shortly.
   359. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:37 PM (#5711221)
Some of you sure do have eggs on your face with your premature analysis, don't you?

I await tonight's raysplaining before judging.
   360. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5711222)
That makes Rand Paul, Sergey Lavrov, AND now David Duke who thought Help Stinky was awesome.

And the Veep, of course.
   361. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:43 PM (#5711226)
And the Veep, of course.

The VEEP is a snivelling little rat faced git.
   362. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:46 PM (#5711228)
The other day Dancing Monkey SBB said that the Russians attempting to hack the RNC proves that they didn't care who won the election, that they just wanted chaos and disruption.

Go #### yourself, SBB.
   363. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5711230)
The VEEP is a snivelling little rat faced git.

Of course.

On a side note, when I was in college a hundred years ago, a band by that name started up on campus. They were good, man. Really good and not just because they were friends of mine. They moved out to Seattle as a collective, shortened the name to simply the Gits and began making a splash on the local grunge/new punk scene, until the lead singer, Mia Zapata, was raped and murdered on street. That happened 25 years ago.

Look 'em up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gits
   364. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 17, 2018 at 12:53 PM (#5711232)
Looks like this indicted Russia > NRA > Trump lady Maria Butina has some of her old comrades retreating. NRA spokesghoul Dana Loesch just switched her story from "there was no NRA trip" to Moscow (May 8) to "I said it wasn't an official trip" (yesterday). It's okay, she's just workshopping variations until she finds the version she'll tell to Mueller.
   365. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 01:02 PM (#5711237)

Looks like this indicted Russia > NRA > Trump lady Maria Butina has some of her old comrades retreating. NRA spokesghoul Dana Loesch just switched her story from "there was no NRA trip" to Moscow (May 8) to "I said it wasn't an official trip" (yesterday). It's okay, she's just workshopping variations until she finds the version she'll tell to Mueller.

Shorter Loesch: homminna-homminna-homminna-homminna...
   366. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 17, 2018 at 01:03 PM (#5711238)
Russia has values America once had

To be fair, virulent ethno-nationalism and Euro-white supremacy ARE values America once had.
   367. McCoy Posted: July 17, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5711243)
Yahoo has an article up about the $15 minimum wage wreaking havoc on the NYC restaurant scene. So I clicked on the link thinking it would be a real article and instead it is some opinion piece light on the facts and heavy on Randian philosophies.

This empty calorie journalism is just really annoying.
   368. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 01:17 PM (#5711246)
On a side note, when I was in college a hundred years ago, a band by that name started up on campus. They were good, man. Really good and not just because they were friends of mine. They moved out to Seattle as a collective, shortened the name to simply the Gits and began making a splash on the local grunge/new punk scene, until the lead singer, Mia Zapata, was raped and murdered on street. That happened 25 years ago.

A girl on my dorm floor freshman year was a YUGE gits fan (she was from Seattle and had been going to their shows on her sister's ID virtually since they moved there). She had very strong opinions on labeling them 'grunge' (she approved of various 'punk' formulations). My first non-class related/personal e-mail - on the old gopher system - was to her that summer after our freshman year when I heard about the murder (sorry, condolences, etc).

The surviving members did a tour with Joan Jett fronting the band that produced a live album I like a lot under the name Evil Stig (Gits Live backwards).
   369. It was something about the man-spider and sodomy, Posted: July 17, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5711250)
Worth quoting in full:

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ), Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, released the following statement today on President Trump’s meeting and press conference with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki:

“Today’s press conference in Helsinki was one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory. The damage inflicted by President Trump’s naiveté, egotism, false equivalence, and sympathy for autocrats is difficult to calculate. But it is clear that the summit in Helsinki was a tragic mistake.

“President Trump proved not only unable, but unwilling to stand up to Putin. He and Putin seemed to be speaking from the same script as the president made a conscious choice to defend a tyrant against the fair questions of a free press, and to grant Putin an uncontested platform to spew propaganda and lies to the world.

“It is tempting to describe the press conference as a pathetic rout – as an illustration of the perils of under-preparation and inexperience. But these were not the errant tweets of a novice politician. These were the deliberate choices of a president who seems determined to realize his delusions of a warm relationship with Putin’s regime without any regard for the true nature of his rule, his violent disregard for the sovereignty of his neighbors, his complicity in the slaughter of the Syrian people, his violation of international treaties, and his assault on democratic institutions throughout the world.

“Coming close on the heels of President Trump’s bombastic and erratic conduct towards our closest friends and allies in Brussels and Britain, today’s press conference marks a recent low point in the history of the American Presidency. That the president was attended in Helsinki by a team of competent and patriotic advisors makes his blunders and capitulations all the more painful and inexplicable.

“No prior president has ever abased himself more abjectly before a tyrant. Not only did President Trump fail to speak the truth about an adversary; but speaking for America to the world, our president failed to defend all that makes us who we are—a republic of free people dedicated to the cause of liberty at home and abroad. American presidents must be the champions of that cause if it is to succeed. Americans are waiting and hoping for President Trump to embrace that sacred responsibility. One can only hope they are not waiting totally in vain.”

370. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: July 17, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5711251)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gits

Man, i had forgotten about that. Not a big fan of them or anything, but, remember Mia's murder. Glad they finally found the man who did it.
   371. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 17, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5711257)

No, you don't get to do this. You don't get to lie about what people said and then get all indignant when called on the lie. Who do you think you are, Trump?

Please.

The name is Miller. John Miller. M-I-L-L-E-R
   372. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 17, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5711259)
Yahoo has an article up about the $15 minimum wage wreaking havoc on the NYC restaurant scene. So I clicked on the link thinking it would be a real article and instead it is some opinion piece light on the facts and heavy on Randian philosophies.

Every restaurant here in Seattle has just passed the cost on to their customers (this is how we end up with $15 lunch sandwiches) or has moved employees off the official books and onto cash. There was a pretty big scandal here last year when a well known cuban sandwich spot was paying employees under the table and all that entails.

I'm not a fan of the $15 min wage. In general I think min wage laws are needed, especially for the service industry, but I'm not a fan of a rigid $15/hr min. It pushes employers to hire less, hire illegally, or classify their employees as 1099ers.
   373. perros Posted: July 17, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5711265)
The fact that you think it means they are "gay lovers" is probably more of a reflection on you than on the Daily News.

Trump and Putin: A Love Story

Now I have it on good sources that you can tongue kiss somebody of the same sex or gender and as long as you shout out "No Homo" afterwards, everything's okay, you are still in the heteronormative club.

As a corollary, all of you enamoured of cockholster comedy can suck my ginormous penis or take it up the sphincter and i'll still respect you in the morning.

Honest.
   374. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5711266)
I’m not a fan of anyone making a living wage except me.
   375. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5711271)

Needs more gimp suit.
   376. Srul Itza Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5711273)
But there are a lot more conservatives who are emotionally shaken because these jokes reflect the widespread agreement that their strong, cruel, winning alpha male proxy that made them feel good about themselves has turned out to be a fragile, foolish, cowardly, curtsying stooge.

No. They knew who he was. They just didn't care. For a moment, they are acting embarrassed about his antics. But we will soon be on to something new, and whatever criticism they may have explicitly or implicitly heaped upon Helsinki will just be a fading memory.

As for his support among the hoi polloi, that won't change, because they buy everything he sells, so they won't see anything wrong with what he did.
   377. perros Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5711274)

Putin Prefers Obama

Is it possible to find a solution to the problem, if current President Obama is re-elected for a second term? Theoretically, yes,” Putin said. He continued: "My feeling is that he is a very honest man, and that he sincerely wants to make many good changes. But can he do it? Will they let him do it?”

He has also paid a backhanded compliment to Romney: “I’m grateful to him for formulating his stance so clearly because he has once again proven the correctness of our approach to missile defense problems… The most important thing for us is that even if he doesn’t win now, he or a person with similar views may come to power in four years. We must take that into consideration while dealing with security issues for a long perspective.”

Barry's Admiration for Vlad

Well, I very much appreciate you taking time to meet with me. We had excellent discussions with the President yesterday. And I'm aware of not only the extraordinary work that you've done on behalf of the Russian people in your previous role as Prime Minister -- as President, but in your current role as Prime Minister."

Extraordinary.
   378. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5711275)
Extraordinary.

Why?

I thought you didn't have the patience for these pages this week?
   379. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5711276)
I thought you didn't have the patience for these pages this week?

Vlad paypal'ed him a few rubles and he bought more.
   380. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5711279)
I'm guessing that Trump is asking around if he can abolish Congress by executive order today. Even the Turtle has turned on him. Mild though it may be, it's a start.
   381. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5711281)
Someone should console Trump by showing him this article:

Distraught Mueller Burns Every Piece Of Evidence In Case After Hearing Trump’s Critique Of U.S. Intelligence Community
WASHINGTON—Tossing a lit match on the assemblage of kerosene-doused case files, transcripts, and seized hard drives, Special Counsel Robert Mueller burned every piece of evidence in his investigation into 2016 election interference Tuesday after hearing President Trump’s pointed critique of the U.S. intelligence community. “God, I can’t believe I’ve wasted more than a year of my life working on something the president thinks is foolish, dumb, and—worst of all—a distraction,” said a visibly upset Mueller, shaking his head as he reminded himself to drop all charges against Paul Manafort and anyone who was arrested or pleaded guilty during the investigation before feeding hundreds of pages of warrants, subpoenas, and indictments into the raging flames. “It’s a real shame because I thought I was getting close to something with those Trump Organization wiretaps, but when the president says you’re being reckless, you listen. Frankly, I just hope he takes Putin up on his incredible offer to work with the Kremlin on a more honest investigation.” At press time, Mueller’s actions had been applauded by the heads of the FBI, CIA, and NSA, who also announced plans to immediately suspend their operations pending review by the White House.

This may not be strictly accurate in all its details, but it comes from a source that's at least as credible as Fox News.
   382. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5711282)
Mild though it may be, it's a start.

Nah. Srul's right. It's cover. They'll capitulate again. They always do.
   383. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5711284)
Nah. Srul's right. It's cover. They'll capitulate again. They always do.

Oh, I realize it's only temporary, but this is the first time that I know of that The Turtle has said anything critical of Trump.
   384. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5711285)
This seems really stupid.

I mean, you can certainly argue (and I'm sure the no-lack-of-lawyers here will in one direction or another) MGM shouldn't be liable for even a penny, but proactively naming all 1000 victims in a suit to preemptively stall any civil suits against them seems really stupid.

385. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5711287)
Vlad paypal'ed him a few rubles and he bought more.

Yeah, pretty telling stuff, generic diplomatic speak that no one at the time thought anything about, versus the utter disaster that nearly everyone from both parties is condemning. Yeah that is quite the equivalence.

I am totally amazed at the total bottoming out that has happened in certain quarters. For Trump critics there is new fuel everyday. Something new, a new travesty, new corruption, new diplomatic, economic, or other disaster. New resignation, indictment or plea deal.

Trump defenders, what do they have. Hmmm, let's make a list of evergreen excuses:

1) Hillary was a bad candidate. Not sure what that has to do with the Trump administration, but it is evergreen.
2) Trump won. Yes, and? Again, doesn't have much to do with Trump's governance.
3) It is not technically illegal. Talk about low bars, but it is a common defense.
4) It might be illegal, but it is not collusion with Russia, so it means nothing. This is my personal favorite (and Ray's too).
5) What about something superficially similar done or said by any other politician in the last 50 years? Invariably it is something criticized before by those same people now bringing it up as a "defense" now.
6) Well every thing that really matters is still OK (or great)! Insert some economic fact, talk about how no one died, or other insane thing, as if the had ever used that criteria to judge any other politician.

Did I miss any? And yes I know there are combinations and variations, I am just going for the big categories of Trump-excuses.
   386. DavidFoss Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5711289)
Did I miss any? And yes I know there are combinations and variations, I am just going for the big categories of Trump-excuses.

Wait for overreaction. Set up equivalence between the overreaction and what is being overreacted to. Both sides to blame!
   387. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5711290)
I am totally amazed at the total bottoming out that has happened in certain quarters. For Trump critics there is new fuel everyday. Something new, a new travesty, new corruption, new diplomatic, economic, or other disaster. New resignation, indictment or plea deal.

Jason's buddies over at the Federalist.

This is the conclusion:

The Trump presser with Putin was unhinged. And so is your reaction to it.

388. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5711291)
Mouse, you still planning on hitting the Cincy area to play Idlewild? I must admit, I haven't thrown a single disc this summer. N
   389. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5711294)
Our country faces a crisis. That crisis is a subset of the words being used to insult and criticize a servile president who has ceaselessly backed our enemy's goals for his entire term.
   390. Random Transaction Generator Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5711295)

I was referring strictly to the political cartoon on the cover of the Daily News, not whatever it is you linked to.
(It's spitting out error messages when I click it.)
   391. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5711296)
Jason's buddies over at the Federalist.

It's a target rich environment.
   392. Traderdave Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5711299)
Mouse, you still planning on hitting the Cincy area to play Idlewild? I must admit, I haven't thrown a single disc this summer. N

I played a TON of frisbee golf when I lived in Cincinnati. I had never heard of Idlewild so I googled it. I'm guessing it didn't exist when I lived there.

After you play, may I suggest getting a beer in Rabbit Hash? Nice little spot.
   393. Lassus Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5711301)
As for his support among the hoi polloi, that won't change, because they buy everything he sells, so they won't see anything wrong with what he did.

As I may have already mentioned, last year my Trump-loving boss gleefully named his german shepherd puppy 'Putin'.
   394. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5711303)
I’m in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh on business this week. Other than the cheesesteaks what should I have on my agenda?
   395. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5711306)
Mouse, you still planning on hitting the Cincy area to play Idlewild? I must admit, I haven't thrown a single disc this summer.

Yup. I have just started planning for my trip. Right now I am trying to figure out when I might be there. It is about a ~2 hour drive. Can you email me so we can set things up? My BTF account connects to my correct email.

396. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5711307)
It's a target rich environment.

That line just slays me. Sure the POTUS is unhinged, but what's really important is that we calm down about it.

FFS. It is indeed quite the "bottoming out".
   397. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5711308)
The standard Trumpkin response to those instances even they can't -- initially, keep watching, it usually changes in a day or two -- defend is always to say the real problem is the people criticizing the ridiculous.

It's more predictable than the sun rising.

Not one of them can just criticize Trump and leave it at that. Not one.

We went through this with syntax/FTLB/whatever last night.

They literally cannot do it. It is weirdly impossible for their brains and motor functions to construct a pure and unadulterated criticism of Trump and resist the temptation to spend twice as many words telling you the REAL problem is and how other people criticize Trump.

It's like some weird OCD thing.
   398. Howie Menckel Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5711309)
AP Politics
‏Verified account @AP_Politics
14m14 minutes ago

BREAKING: Trump claims he misspoke on election meddling, now says he sees no reason why it wouldn't be Russia that was responsible.
   399. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5711310)

But the overreaction is hyperbolic. What Trump did was stupid and weak and self serving. However, it was not treason and not the worst thing ever. I know both sides do it (all of the overreactions against Obama) but the rhetoric has to be toned down, and saved for the next inevitable scandal.
   400. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 17, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5711312)
But the overreaction is hyperbolic. What Trump did was stupid and weak and self serving. However, it was not treason and not the worst thing ever. I know both sides do it (all of the overreactions against Obama) but the rhetoric has to be toned down, and saved for the next inevitable scandal.

nah fam
Page 4 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim
for his generous support.