Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 30, 2018

OTP 2018 July 30: Now Running for Office, Adam Greenberg. You May Remember His First At-Bat.

Greenberg dug in for the first pitch, slightly bending his knees. It was a 92-mile-an-hour fastball.

“You get three-tenths of a second,” Greenberg said. “The first tenth I’m thinking don’t bail because if it’s a curve I look stupid, and it’s strike one. The second tenth I realized the ball wasn’t breaking. By the third tenth, my only thought was to get out of the way, and the only thing I could do was to turn into the catcher.”

In the end, Greenberg did go back to the minors — for eight more years. It was a struggle. He had suffered a concussion from the beaning and was then left with vertigo symptoms and vision issues. He did not play baseball the rest of that season and, a year later, with him back in the minor leagues and flailing, the Cubs made the decision to release him.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 30, 2018 at 08:22 AM | 1266 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: beaning, cubs, off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 13 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 11 12 13
   1201. Omineca Greg Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:06 PM (#5722059)
To be fair, the word “fellatio” is not highly descriptive. It sounds like a musical tempo: fellatio ma non troppo. Or a minor courtier in Shakespeare. “Alas poor Yorick! I knew him, Fellatio.” Or maybe a reserve infielder for the St. Louis Browns, batting .217, Ernie Fellatio.

Anybody ever use the word "fellatrix"? Besides right now, I never have. Partly it's because I don't know if the plural should be "fellatrixes" or "fellatrices", my Latin isn't so hot. Sure, it seems like you wouldn't have to pluralise it all that often, but you never know. No really, you never know. What if you were at a Nymphomaniac Latin Scholar symposium or something, could be awkward. "Before I take you dominarum home, I just have to ask, are both of you..." and then there's just excruciating silence. And maybe it's politically incorrect, just like how everyone's an actor now, even if they're a woman, maybe everyone is a fellator now, gender be damned. Well, not everyone...

Just the people who suck ####.

And then, like to be a fellatrix, do you have to be right into it, or just every once in awhile? There has to be a boundary where one is not a fellatrix, and then you are, and I don't think the boundary should be at "I tried it once." If you've only done it once, you're no fellatrix. To be consistent between the sexes, I think you have to have done it more than once to be a fellator too. But for the life of me, I don't know where to draw the line. I wish it were one of those self-identification things, you know, "I identify as a fellatrix, so I am one, even if I haven't done it...yet!". Maybe it is, if you think you'd be into it and never done it, it's probably OK to call yourself one, who'd argue? But if you just love taking a penis in your mouth, I think you're a fellatrix, or a fellator, or whatever, if you can just opt out, "Oh, I suck dick, but I'm not a fellatrix, no, no...no", what's the point of the word then? Or maybe that is the point, that there is no point, and we don't need those words.

Sorry, I don't think I've cleared that up for anybody. I wish I could just say, "Once a fortnight, with at least medium gusto (I would say 'effrenatio' to keep with the Latin, but I don't want to introduce new terms like 'effrenator' or 'effrenatrix' this late in the post) that makes you a fellatrix", but I don't think it works that way.
   1202. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:19 PM (#5722065)
I am curious where the "700 trillion" number comes from. A brief Google search for "Rothschild 700 trillion" gives a link to a student blog at Penn State from 2014 (dude is also a big infowars fan) but nothing solid.
   1203. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:22 PM (#5722068)
Department of It's About ####### Time:

Apple, Facebook and other tech companies delete content from Alex Jones
Major technology companies including Apple, Facebook and YouTube this week deleted years of content from conservative conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and his Infowars shows over allegations of hate speech, a sudden clampdown that is fueling the growing debate over the degree to which technology companies block those who spread objectionable material.

The move, led by Apple’s decision Sunday night to remove most of Jones’s podcasts, was unusual for its sweep and speed, suggesting a new assertiveness by technology companies that in the past have worked to avoid alienating conservatives who often contend that left-leaning Silicon Valley is biased against them. The removals appeared to be prompted by an increasing number of users flagging Infowars content for policy violations and by increased public pressure on tech firms in recent weeks.

Jones’s shows long have sparked complaints because of many elaborate and unsupported claims, including that mass shootings such as the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School may have been staged and that the government orchestrated the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. In July, YouTube banned one of his videos from June entitled “How to Prevent Liberalism,” which depicts a man shoving a child to the ground.

But in acting against Jones in recent days, the technology companies cited unspecified violations of their rules against hateful language. Facebook said in a statement Monday that it was removing four of Jones’s pages "for glorifying violence, which violates our graphic violence policy, and using dehumanizing language to describe people who are transgender, Muslims and immigrants, which violates our hate speech policies.” ...

I wonder what Alex's hero in the White House will have to say about this. (smile)

1204. bookbook Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:26 PM (#5722071)
I doubt 1 in 50 Americans know that.

Even in America, they teach Western history in public schools, don't they? The Rothschilds' role in the development of modern finance, and the impact their Judaism had on their ability to fill that role, is a pretty big thing to miss/not teach.

Soros? Other than folks who know his biography of escaping the Holocaust, we all only know he's Jewish because ######## keep putting quotation marks around his name, and "White Nationalists" blame him for everything they oppose.
   1205. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:29 PM (#5722075)
Re: #1201--
When Diane Keaton was given AFI's Lifetime Achievement Award, various co-stars from Warren Beatty to Jane Fonda to Steve Martin to Meryl Streep to Al Pacino gave speeches to honor her. Also making a rare California appearance was Woody Allen, who said with a straight face, "This is a woman who is great at everything she does — actress, writer, photographer, fellatrix, director.”
   1206. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:30 PM (#5722076)
RIP and Godspeed. so few left (and personal to me). and an eternal thank you.

we lost another among those who saved the world . . .

In other notable passings, former Senator Paul Laxalt, who saw horrific combat duty in the Philippines during WWII, has died at 96.
   1207. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:30 PM (#5722077)
Even in America, they teach Western history in public schools, don't they? The Rothschilds' role in the development of modern finance, and the impact their Judaism had on their ability to fill that role, is a pretty big thing to miss/not teach.

Please. Whether it was taught or not, the vast majority of Goyim don't retain such minutia.
   1208. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:44 PM (#5722092)
Found this link on the wealthiest families in the world.

Top 10 Wealthiest Families in the world

Rothschild is #1. Estimated 350 billion to 2 trillion.
   1209. bookbook Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:45 PM (#5722094)
The Rothschild family has absolutely zero impact on Canadian history, literature, or commerce.

One, Canada is as closely connected to Europe as the U.S. is--probably more so, since y'all still owe some allegiance to the Queen. Western history is still relevant in the frozen North.

Two, yes there are Rothschild banks operating in Canada, probably charities too.
   1210. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:48 PM (#5722097)
Top 10 Wealthiest Families in the world

Outdated. Bezos is at least #4, possibly #3.
   1211. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:51 PM (#5722099)
One, Canada is as closely connected to Europe as the U.S. is--probably more so, since y'all still owe some allegiance to the Queen. Western history is still relevant in the frozen North.

Two, yes there are Rothschild banks operating in Canada, probably charities too.

Three. As I've said, few non-Jews pay attention to that. Few people know the name, fewer know it's Jewish. This who learn it, and retain it, know it as irrelevant trivia.
   1212. bookbook Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:54 PM (#5722101)
Please. Whether it was taught or not, the vast majority of Goyim don't retain such minutia.

Says the man who, I'm willing to bet, can rattle off Rogers Hornsby's lifetime batting average to four digits!

(The Catholic Church prohibited "Usury" to Christians and most jobs to Jews. Therefore, Jews like the Rothschilds developed international banking mostly out of desperation, because they weren't allowed to do most anything else, but were uniquely able to give loans and charge interest.)
   1213. bookbook Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:55 PM (#5722102)
Yeah, Misirlou. It is irrelevant trivia today. I agree.
   1214. Traderdave Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:58 PM (#5722104)
There is no way any single family is worth 2% or so of global GDP. And IF the Rothschilds do rate that, it is one very loosely defined "family." The only conceivable way to reach that height would be a large and very wide amalgamation of several disparate and distantly related family groups. How many degrees of cousinhood are there in 2 or 3 centuries?
   1215. zenbitz Posted: August 06, 2018 at 11:59 PM (#5722106)

Even in America, they teach Western history in public schools, don't they? The Rothschilds' role in the development of modern finance, and the impact their Judaism had on their ability to fill that role, is a pretty big thing to miss/not teach

Can confirm this is not generally a part of public school education.

I suppose the Rothschilds are Jewish but I never really thought about it. Gefilte fish whistle?
   1216. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:02 AM (#5722109)
Says the man who, I'm willing to bet, can rattle off Rogers Hornsby's lifetime batting average to four digits!

1). Only 3.

2) I don't know what you are taking this so personally. the minutiae of who is jewish and who is not is just not that important to the vast majority of Americans

3). I already said I know that the Rothchilds are Jewish

4) So what if people remember things in their own field/interest the those that aren't?
   1217. zenbitz Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:06 AM (#5722111)
[CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article cited an estimate of the combined net worth of the Rothschilds at $350 billion. That estimate came from a source that does not meet Investopedia's standards, and we have consequently retracted it. Similarly, an estimate that the Rothschilds controlled more than $2 trillion worth in assets was also inadequately sourced and retracted.]

Read more: A History of the Rothschild Family | Investopedia https://www.investopedia.com/updates/history-rothschild-family/#ixzz5NSgNNffo
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook
   1218. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:08 AM (#5722112)
The frequency in which the name Rothschild enters my consciousness? Whenever I read an article about a Steve Carlton rant.

The frequency in which the name Rothschild enters the average American's consciousness? A lot less frequently than that.
   1219. greenback slays lewks Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:12 AM (#5722113)
I started reading Hannah Arendt's book on totalitarianism (or at least I thought that was supposed to be the subject of the book), got annoyed with it, and stopped. As a rather odd result, the main thing I got from Hannah Arendt's book on totalitarianism was that there was some factual basis underlying the whole Great Jewish Banking Conspiracy. Her thesis was that Jews were effectively stateless. And this becomes an advantage when you're dealing with governments who want to extract wealth from their realms through methods more politically sophisticated than simply taxing the #### out of everybody.

I'm guessing Alex Jones doesn't quote Hannah Arendt too much, but it wouldn't take much of an effort on his part to make use of what she wrote here. Just weird.
   1220. Chip Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:13 AM (#5722114)
Did you actually complain to MSN about the article? If you didn't (and no one else has), there is a chance they don't know if there is anything wrong with it.

It’s amazing how some of these vestigial startup pages like aol.com and msn.com, which date back to the dial-up era, still exist. And continue to run on autopilot because they can generate decent traffic for ad sales reaching people who are using some version of Internet Explorer, and never changed the default launch page. Microsoft has rebranded/re-purposed the thing too many times to count, and it continues to pot along in its current iteration with entirely aggregated content.

Heck, there are STILL a not insignificant number of people out there paying AOL a monthly fee for dial up access.
   1221. zenbitz Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:16 AM (#5722115)
Does MSN run ads for KFC and Getty oil? Or Catholic Match?
   1222. Ray (CTL) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:28 AM (#5722116)
The President’s Sunday-morning tweet should be seen as a turning point. It doesn’t teach us anything new—most students of the case already understand what Donald Trump, Jr., Paul Manafort, and Jared Kushner knew about that Trump Tower meeting. But it ends any possibility of an alternative explanation. We can all move forward understanding that there is a clear fact pattern about which there is no dispute:

Fake news. Trump Sr. said over a year ago that the meeting was to get opposition research on their opponent.

Moreover he said this after Don Jr. tweeted copies of the emails that showed quite clearly that the meeting was to get opposition research on their opponent. Once Don Jr. tweeted copies of the emails it was self evident what the purpose of the meeting was -- and indeed Trump Sr. told everyone at that time what the purpose of the meeting was.

1223. Shredder Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:31 AM (#5722117)
There is no way any single family is worth 2% or so of global GDP.
I'm being pedantic, but there has to be a better term for what you're referring to than "Global GDP". Maybe just "Global GP", or "Gross Global Product"? I mean, if we're talking about the entire world, including the word "domestic" in there just sounds weird.
   1224. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:34 AM (#5722118)
Definitely not something I ever heard about in school at any level. I admit to not having been terribly interested in history, so its possible it went straight past me in a high school class at some point. I was probably over 30 before the name even entered my consciousness.

I do remember in high school seeing a homeless-ish man with a body placard (do those things have a name?) with a long screed about the "Rockfellers".
   1225. Ray (CTL) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 12:46 AM (#5722120)
Ray, "this controversy" first emerged nearly a week ago. You were called on your blatant hypocrisy well over a dozen times over the course of the next few days, and never once did you respond, although you were making comments about everything else during the same time frame.

It wasn't hypocrisy as I've now explained. But when folks here -- apparently with nothing better to do with their time and not mature enough to do it -- descend like locusts on someone, demanding over and over again with an obsessive intensity that the person address the object of their insanity immediately if not sooner, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the person would not rush to placate the pitchfork-holding crowd.

You're particularly ridiculous about this, Andy, repeating over and over again a demand that the person indulge your insanity. Such as when you asked JE a gazillion and one times if he found Trump despicable.
   1226. Count Posted: August 07, 2018 at 01:17 AM (#5722122)
Fake news. Trump Sr. said over a year ago that the meeting was to get opposition research on their opponent.

Moreover he said this after Don Jr. tweeted copies of the emails that showed quite clearly that the meeting was to get opposition research on their opponent. Once Don Jr. tweeted copies of the emails it was self evident what the purpose of the meeting was -- and indeed Trump Sr. told everyone at that time what the purpose of the meeting was.

This implies that Trump Sr. was honest about the meeting, which isn't true. The Trump campaign and administration first lied repeatedly and said there were no contacts with Russians; when this story broke, before the emails were about to be published, Trump Sr. wrote a statement for Trump Jr. to release lying about the meeting and saying at the meeting they "primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children"; then the Trump administration lied repeatedly and said Trump Sr. had nothing to do with the statement; then in a January 2018 letter to Mueller, Trump's lawyers admitted that President Trump dictated the "adoption" message but claimed falsely it was accurate.
   1227. Ray (CTL) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 01:37 AM (#5722123)
If Trump meeting is illegal, then Clinton dossier is criminal too

BY JONATHAN TURLEY, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 08/06/18 03:30 PM EDT
THE HILL

President Trump has ignited yet another firestorm with a tweet admitting that the meeting in Trump Tower between Russians and his son, Donald Trump Jr., was an effort to gather dirt on Hillary Clinton. It contradicts the statement that Trump released to the media in 2016.

CNN anchor Alisyn Camerota and others declared that the tweet makes a criminal charge against Trump an “open and shut case.” It does not. It is not even compelling evidence of a crime, because it is based on an erroneous interpretation of federal election laws. What is most alarming is the failure, again, to consider the implications of radically expanding the scope of such laws just to bag Trump or his family at any cost.

Second, the president is only partially correct in saying that the meeting with Trump Jr. is “done all the time in politics.” The media has largely ignored that Hillary Clinton and her campaign spent a huge amount of money to fund the efforts of former British spy Christopher Steele to gather dirt on Trump, including information from the Russian government and intelligence figures. All of the outcries and expressions of shock by Democratic leaders over the Trump Tower meeting ignores the more extensive contacts and efforts by the Clinton campaign.

However, this particular meeting is not “done all the time” because it was uniquely dumb. Trump Jr. pulled Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner into a meeting with unknown participants connected to the Russian government in Trump Tower as members of the media meandered around downstairs. The irony is that the Clintons showed how this is “done all the time” with cutouts and third parties like Steele. Indeed, despite denials during and after the campaign, the Clinton team only admitted to funding the dossier after the media stumbled onto the paper trail long after the election. When caught, they simply declared it was done all the time as “opposition research.”

Take the crime being proclaimed as “open and shut.” Before Camerota came to this conclusion, the CNN anchors discussed federal election laws that make it a “crime for any person to solicit, accept, or receive, anything of value from a foreign person or U.S. political campaign for the purpose of influencing any elections for federal office.” Thus, if Trump Jr. was willing to review evidence of criminal conduct by Clinton, it must be a type of foreign campaign contribution and, therefore, a federal crime.

Such logic is so inescapable that Camerota responded, “I mean, what more really is there to talk about after that one?” The answer is “a lot more.” ...

If the Russians had evidence of criminal conduct by Hillary Clinton, her campaign or her family foundation, the Trump campaign had every reason to want to know about it. That is precisely what the Clinton campaign spent millions to do, talking to Russians and other foreigners investigating Trump. Indeed, under this interpretation of federal election laws, Clinton and her surrogates would be equally guilty in using a former foreign spy to gather information on Trump from foreign sources, including Russians.

Consider the implications of what the critics are suggesting. It would mean treating information as a form of political contribution as no different from money, for purposes of a criminal charge, even information about criminal acts by an election candidate. That would mean administrations could prosecute political opponents for merely attending meetings with foreign individuals to discuss the criminal conduct of a sitting American president. Democratic politicians could be charged if they reviewed evidence of alleged bribes or quid pro quos by Trump.

ink
   1228. Ray (CTL) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 01:41 AM (#5722124)

This implies that Trump Sr. was honest about the meeting, which isn't true. The Trump campaign and administration first lied repeatedly and said there were no contacts with Russians; when this story broke, before the emails were about to be published, Trump Sr. wrote a statement for Trump Jr. to release lying about the meeting and saying at the meeting they "primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children"; then the Trump administration lied repeatedly and said Trump Sr. had nothing to do with the statement; then in a January 2018 letter to Mueller, Trump's lawyers admitted that President Trump dictated the "adoption" message but claimed falsely it was accurate.

None of this changes the fact that Sr.'s tweet over the weekend that everyone here went ballistic over was exactly the same thing that Sr. said repeatedly starting in July of 2017.
   1229. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 07, 2018 at 02:14 AM (#5722125)
. . . Trump Sr. wrote a statement for Trump Jr. to release lying about the meeting and saying at the meeting they "primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children"

The Trump camp has long maintained that the purpose of the meeting was to listen to Natalia Veselnitskaya's claimed negative information about Hillary Clinton, but since Ms. Veselnitskaya didn't deliver the goods, the focus of the meeting was on her remarks about sanctions and adoptions - the areas she was working on with Hillary's henchmen, whom she "coincidentally" met with before & after the Trump Tower meeting. Some folks may not believe the Trump account, but nothing has contradicted it yet, including the misleading reporting of the last couple of days.
   1230. tshipman Posted: August 07, 2018 at 02:29 AM (#5722127)
The argument is 1227 is bad and intentionally deceptive.

No one has argued that campaigns cannot talk to any foreigners ever.

Campaigns cannot solicit things of value from foreign nationals, or knowingly take items obtained illegally from foreign governments. Since only one campaign has allegedly done either of those things, whatabouting to the Clinton campaign is pointless.
   1231. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 04:17 AM (#5722130)
2) I don't know what you are taking this so personally. the minutiae of who is jewish and who is not is just not that important to the vast majority of Americans
You say this as if it's a bit of trivia like knowing that Scarlett Johansson or Danny Valencia are Jewish. The Rothschilds being Jewish is not an incidental biographical factoid; not only is it central to the family's success, but the Jewish banker archetype is one of the most foundational tropes of Christian-Jewish relations in the West for hundreds of years.
   1232. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 04:36 AM (#5722131)

Yes. It's a bad faith argument. There's a legitimate legal dispute (as we discussed when the story first came out a year ago) about whether pure information should be included in "things of value" that campaign finance laws govern. (There's no doubt that information literally fits within the statute, but there are first amendment considerations that make it a complicated legal question. Nobody has ever treated mere information as a campaign contribution -- and yet, in some instances, it is deemed such; polling data and mailing lists are information but are treated as valuable commodities, and giving a campaign a mailing list would be an in-kind contribution. But...

1) That speaks to the issue of whether the Trump Tower meeting itself broke campaign finance law. It doesn't speak to broader issues of collusion, such as whether there was a quid pro quo between Trump and Putin.

2) This has nothing whatsoever to do with Hillary. Turley's hackery is simply wrong even on its own terms. Even setting aside the fact that Hillary's campaign didn't deal with Steele (let alone the Russians), the campaign finance restrictions we're discussing relate to campaign contributions. A campaign paying FMV for something is not receiving a campaign contribution; it is simply buying something. Walmart can't give $10,000 worth of supplies to Hillary's campaign -- that would be an illegal corporate campaign contribution -- but Hillary's campaign can buy $10,000 worth of supplies from Walmart. Hillary's campaign indirectly bought Steele's services; it didn't get them for free.
   1233. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 04:38 AM (#5722132)

Andy celebrates censorship.
   1234. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 05:00 AM (#5722133)

Police stop and investigate black people disproportionately, so force is used disproportionately even if at the same amount between black people and white people. And a big issue that BLM was addressing was people not caring or making excuses more specifically when black people were killed by police (this seems true, hard to say). Strategically it may have been a mistake in the short run to focus on black lives - the whole thing seems to have inflamed racial anxiety among a lot of white people and helped elect Republicans and Trump (note that this contradicts the “racism doesn’t exist” brigade). But in the long run I think it’ll be effective, it moves the conversation and there seems to be more pressure on DA’s to bring cases.
I think that's entirely backwards. In the short run it might have been beneficial to focus on black lives. In the long run, it's ineffective for the reasons I said. When AIDS began to enter the public consciousness in the mid-80s, it was seen as a gay disease, and was frequently dismissed as something that happened to other people. While there were some AIDS activists who tried the strategy of screaming "homophobia!!" at people deemed insufficiently agitated about the issue, others took the approach of telling people that it wasn't a gay disease, that it didn't discriminate and anyone could get it. This wasn't really scientifically overly precise, but it was (IMO) politically much more effective.

And again, I think it's a distraction. Can you prove that Pantaleo and the other cops were motivated or influenced by race when they killed Eric Garner? No. So by bringing it up you take the focus away from the issue of excessive force by the police, which can be established in that case, and put the attention on race, which can't be.
   1235. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: August 07, 2018 at 05:09 AM (#5722134)
FWIW (little), I will chime in and say that I know the Rothschild's are Jewish... now. I didn't know this time yesterday. And will probably have forgotten again in a few months.
   1236. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 06:42 AM (#5722136)

Well yeah, that’s why it was posted. Our Little Lord is the most reflexively disingenuous person on the forum. Possibly on the entire internet.

Now go suck Iran’s ####, you homophobe.
   1237. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 06:46 AM (#5722137)

David abandons his fickle libertarian principals.
   1238. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 06:52 AM (#5722138)
You say this as if it's a bit of trivia like knowing that Scarlett Johansson or Danny Valencia are Jewish. The Rothschilds being Jewish is not an incidental biographical factoid; not only is it central to the family's success, but the Jewish banker archetype is one of the most foundational tropes of Christian-Jewish relations in the West for hundreds of years.

And yet, I'll wager that most people don't know nor care.
   1239. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 07, 2018 at 07:05 AM (#5722139)
Alex Griswold:
First they came for Infowars, and I didn’t say anything because I didn’t like Infowars.

Then they never came for me because I never accused grieving parents of murdered children of being crisis actors.
   1240. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 07:15 AM (#5722141)
To expand on 1238. Few people know who the Rothschilds are. Fewer know they are a banking family.* Fewer still know they are Jewish. I'm sure it is an important and well know fact among the Jewish community, and the non-Jewish conspiracy theorist community. But in the grand scheme of things, those communities are a small minority of the overall population.

* Most probably think they are in the candy business.
   1241. -- Posted: August 07, 2018 at 07:20 AM (#5722142)
Throughout our history, we have seen the presidency as the repository of all of our highest hopes and ideals and values.

Completely untrue, stupid, and juvenile. Better this shitty four years than a docile citizenry who sees a political office as the "repository of all of our highest hopes and ideals and values."
   1242. -- Posted: August 07, 2018 at 07:29 AM (#5722143)
Here's a hint for you: The Goyem don't usually go out of their way to learn who is Jewish and who isn't.

One doesn't have to remotely "go out of their way" to have "learned" the Rothschild trope.
   1243. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 07, 2018 at 07:38 AM (#5722145)
I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought "rothschild" was the term for any kind of oral sex.
   1244. -- Posted: August 07, 2018 at 07:41 AM (#5722146)
Even setting aside the fact that Hillary's campaign didn't deal with Steele

LOL. Pure target demo nonsense.

Hillary's campaign indirectly bought Steele's services; it didn't get them for free.

???

The Russian info Steele got was a foreign donation. (Which is to say, it wasn't a donation, but it was if the info provided by NKL was.)
   1245. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2018 at 07:45 AM (#5722148)
One doesn't have to remotely "go out of their way" to have "learned" the Rothschild trope.

No, but it's not standard history like Jefferson screwing one of his slaves or canon like Elie Weisel.

Like many of the over-educated people in the thread, when I hear "Rothschild", the first word that comes into my head is "WEALTHY". It's not "Rothschild" - "JEWISH".
   1246. Lassus Posted: August 07, 2018 at 07:46 AM (#5722149)
The Russian info Steele got was a foreign donation. (Which is to say, it wasn't a donation...)

This pretty much sums up all your arguments in one easy trope.
   1247. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:02 AM (#5722150)
How does one close out today's tied House special election? GOP candidate for Ohio's 12th Troy Balderson did it like this:
"I’ve got to have 85 percent. Eighty five percent from Muskingum County this time. Not 80, but 85. I’m counting on that. My opponent is from Franklin County, and Franklin County has been challenging. We don’t want someone from Franklin County representing us."

Spoken like a man looking at phenomenal internal polling.

Harry Enten:
To put Balderson's comments saying we shouldn't have someone Franklin County representing OH-12 in some perspective, imagine an NYC mayoral candidate saying "we don't want someone from Brooklyn!" Brooklyn makes up a similar share of NYC vote as Franklin does of OH-12 vote.

Gideon Resnick:
12-dimensional chess is talking down about a major county in your race the night before an election.

Patrick D. Chase:
This will definitely have time to marinate, as both candidates are on the ballot in Nov regardless of who wins today.

Sen. John Kasich's top adviser John Weaver (Kasich has endorsed the Republican, Balderson):
Have a sense tomorrow will be a blue day. #Tsunami

But despite this textbook home stretch strategy, and despite the last two public polls showing either man up by a point, the finely-tuned, razor-sharp GOP/Balderson machine are still the favorites to barely pull out this ordinarily 65%-35% Republican district.
   1248. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:12 AM (#5722153)
For the record I knew the Rothschild family was Jewish, wealthy and bankers and part of some common anti-Semitic tropes. Do I win a prize? Anyway I know all kinds of dumb stuff like that, but the vast majority of people have no idea of that stuff and don't care (nor should they).

In more relevant news, back from Indianapolis I submitted a new article for this week. Watch for it.
   1249. manchestermets Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:20 AM (#5722154)

Can you tell us exactly when it's good and when it's bad for private companies/individuals to choose who they do business with in Libertopia? It's getting very confusing.

Anyway, it's not true that Infowars has been suspended from all these platforms. They chose to remove all the content themselves. This is a false flag, and Jones is a crisis actor.
   1250. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:26 AM (#5722157)

Can you tell us exactly when it's good and when it's bad for private companies/individuals to choose who they do business with in Libertopia? It's getting very confusing.

I have to admit I am curious as well. This seems like some corporations deciding to exercise their individual decision making powers, without any government intervention, regarding what content they will accept on their service as part of the Terms of Service.

How is that a problem for a Libertarian? (Honest question, I am not seeing the problem for one at all, but maybe I am missing something)
   1251. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:28 AM (#5722158)
Was this mentioned while I was gone?

Trade Deficit Soars Under Trump

“The United States trade deficit widened in June and is on track to be the biggest in a decade despite President Trump’s efforts to slash it,” the Washington Post reports.

“For the first half of 2018, the trade deficit in goods and services hit $291.2 billion, the federal government reported Friday, which is higher than last year and puts the nation on track to have the largest annual deficit since 2008.”

He is focused on fixing the wrong thing, and he can't even manage that. Sad.
   1252. Tom T Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:36 AM (#5722161)
back from Indianapolis

Off topic query --- did Hassenplug have either his (Lego) Monster Chess or Robo Rally there this year? They might have "expired" by this point in time, as I think he has been taking them to GenCon since about 2012...but, yaneverknow....
   1253. BDC Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:38 AM (#5722162)
I thought there was a guy named Rothschild who used to manage the Cubs.

Checks: Wrong, it was Tampa Bay.
   1254. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:42 AM (#5722164)
   1255. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:43 AM (#5722166)

David, there's a big difference between what people should know, and what the overwhelming majority of people do know.

Everyone should know about the Rothschilds, and the societal constraints that channeled Jews into professions such as banking, which in turn enabled a small number of Jews to attain wealth and influence. Just as everyone should know about things like how blacks were prevented by law from buying property in the vast majority of desirable neighborhoods until relatively recently.

But alas, that sort of knowledge is pretty much restricted to those people who are interested enough in the underlying subjects to take it upon themselves to learn such things. And that's a relatively small group of people.

Which means that it's just as silly for you to take ignorance about the Rothschilds personally as it would be for me to take personally someone's ignorance about Stalin's war against the kulaks, or Quisling's collaboration with Hitler's war against the Norwegian underground. Not everyone's interested in events in foreign countries that happened before they were born.

At least Misirlou acknowledged his ignorance, which is more than I can say for a lot of other people around here who are profoundly ignorant about somewhat less esoteric subjects than the history of the Rothschilds.
   1256. Count Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:45 AM (#5722167)

None of this changes the fact that Sr.'s tweet over the weekend that everyone here went ballistic over was exactly the same thing that Sr. said repeatedly starting in July of 2017.

I believe this was the most detailed admission about what happened by Trump Sr. (although he is denying that he knew about the meeting, which is probably a lie; like all the other lies I laid out, I'm sure you won't care or find it even mildly suspicious!). If you have examples of him repeatedly saying it starting in July of 2017 please let me know.
   1257. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:51 AM (#5722168)
Off topic query --- did Hassenplug have either his (Lego) Monster Chess or Robo Rally there this year? They might have "expired" by this point in time, as I think he has been taking them to GenCon since about 2012...but, yaneverknow....

No clue. I barely spent any time in the actual convention center (where I would guess those would be), spending all my time in various hotels and other convention spaces (where the role-playing and LARP games were). Sorry.
   1258. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:55 AM (#5722170)
By the way the new thread is up and running.
   1259. Count Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:56 AM (#5722171)
. . . Trump Sr. wrote a statement for Trump Jr. to release lying about the meeting and saying at the meeting they "primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children"

The Trump camp has long maintained that the purpose of the meeting was to listen to Natalia Veselnitskaya's claimed negative information about Hillary Clinton, but since Ms. Veselnitskaya didn't deliver the goods, the focus of the meeting was on her remarks about sanctions and adoptions - the areas she was working on with Hillary's henchmen, whom she "coincidentally" met with before & after the Trump Tower meeting. Some folks may not believe the Trump account, but nothing has contradicted it yet, including the misleading reporting of the last couple of days.

It's funny that you ignored all the other lies and just snip this one. The Trump camp credit only said it was a meeting to get opposition information after they learned the emails were going to be published; before that, they lied about it. Saying they "long maintained" their position, when they only took it up after first lying and only because the truth was going to come out, is ridiculous.

The initial statement was obviously intentionally misleading to the point of being a lie. In the first statement, Don Jr. (but really Trump Sr., who dictated the statement despite ostensibly not knowing about the meeting beforehand - again, very likely another lie you won't care about) said: “It was a short introductory meeting. I asked Jared and Paul to stop by. We primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children that was active and popular with American families years ago and was since ended by the Russian government, but it was not a campaign issue at the time and there was no follow up.” He added: “I was asked to attend the meeting by an acquaintance, but was not told the name of the person I would be meeting with beforehand.”
   1260. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 08:58 AM (#5722173)
At least Misirlou acknowledged his ignorance,

Not exactly. I said I know, but probably only from watching "The Winds of War". I say probably, because I might have learned elsewhere in he intervening years.

Most people are not like us. They are generally incurious about the world outside of their own little piece of it. I'm sure I'm considered an oddity among my friends and acquaintances, as I know a little about a lot of things. If I had a dollar for every time someone looked at me funny and asked "How do you know that?", I'd be as wealthy as the Rothschilds.

And I want to address this:

the Jewish banker archetype is one of the most foundational tropes of Christian-Jewish relations in the West for hundreds of years.

How is that the least bit relevant to whether people should know the Rothschilds are Jewish? Even if someone knows the name, and knows they are a banking family, they are supposed to assume they are Jewish because of a stereotype? Should people assume Charles Merrill and J P Morgan and A P Giannini were Jewish?
   1261. Cleveland (need new name) fan Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:00 AM (#5722176)
This has nothing whatsoever to do with Hillary. Turley's hackery is simply wrong even on its own terms. Even setting aside the fact that Hillary's campaign didn't deal with Steele (let alone the Russians), the campaign finance restrictions we're discussing relate to campaign contributions. A campaign paying FMV for something is not receiving a campaign contribution; it is simply buying something. Walmart can't give $10,000 worth of supplies to Hillary's campaign -- that would be an illegal corporate campaign contribution -- but Hillary's campaign can buy $10,000 worth of supplies from Walmart. Hillary's campaign indirectly bought Steele's services; it didn't get them for free.

This is old familiar territory and everyone knows their lines by heart. If you will indulge me a second, I want to recast this same argument in a very thin hypothetical. I can't prove this hypothetical happened, but I would be shocked if it didn't (and I expect everyone else would also be shocked). We know that foreign governments and senior foreign officials gave money to the Clinton Foundation. Might the Trump campaign (either directly or indirectly through cut outs) have sent investigators to these countries to see if they could dig out any quid pro quo stench that could be used to further the on-going Clinton Foundation attacks? If they did, would anyone even think once, let alone twice, about whether this was appropriate or not? I'm sure that someone will argue that this isn't the same situation as Steele, but its not going to be me.
   1262. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 07, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5722215)

One, wealthy families that had nothing to do with the formation of Canada, or the public history of Canada for politics/arts/sports/exploration/, aren't going to be mentioned much in the Canadian history books.
The Rockefellers aren't discussed in Canadian history books. The only reason I knew about the Hearst legacy in high school was "Citizen Kane" was one of the movies we watched/discussed in our "art of cinema" class.

Two, identify one bank in Canada that is owned by the Rothschild corporation. None of the "big five" are Rothschild owned, and none of the "second tier" banks show any connection to the Rothschild family.
The only connection to Canada that I can find is that they have an office in the big Toronto Dominion building in Toronto.

(Oh, and some conspiracy theory website said they "owned the Bank of Canada", which is of course very silly.)
   1263. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5722294)

David abandons his fickle libertarian principals.
You're confused. And not just because you can't spell principles. (At least you didn't Andyesquely put the word in scare quotes.) I abandoned nothing. I at no point suggested that these sites should be forced to host this content. I would object -- strenuously -- to any such requirement. Nor, of course, do I like the content in question. That does not mean that it does not make me uncomfortable that there is a coordinated effort to silence a group for having disagreeable views. I'd feel that way even if they were the Communist Party. Especially given that this is all ad hoc and whim; there's no specific established rule they violated, but it's just "They're kooks who say things that offend most people."
   1264. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:30 AM (#5722311)
That does not mean that it does not make me uncomfortable that there is a coordinated effort to silence a group for having disagreeable views. I'd feel that way even if they were the Communist Party. Especially given that this is all ad hoc and whim; there's no specific established rule they violated, but it's just "They're kooks who say things that offend most people."

But it is private enterprise doing it and not the government*. I thought private individuals and companies were free to make whatever agreements they wanted? Private companies refusing to carry some content is a feature not a bug, according to most Libertarian "philosophy" that I am familiar with, so I am unclear why this action gets the "censorship" tag from you. Infowars can just go to a different private platform.

Feel free to explain in the new thread. Thanks.

* The fact that multiple of them are doing it shouldn't matter I wouldn't think, other than to show that many individuals agree about the content being not appropriate for their particular private service.
   1265. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5722318)
EDIT: Copied to new thread.

To expand on 1238. Few people know who the Rothschilds are. Fewer know they are a banking family.* Fewer still know they are Jewish. I'm sure it is an important and well know fact among the Jewish community, and the non-Jewish conspiracy theorist community. But in the grand scheme of things, those communities are a small minority of the overall population.
This argument proves far too much. Most people are ignorant about most things; that can't possibly be a defense of everything. I assume that most people don't know that the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion are a classic anti-semitic text, but that wouldn't be a basis for excusing them. If I talk disparagingly of Harlem, using longstanding racist tropes, claiming that lots of people don't know that Harlem is identified with blacks would not get me far.
   1266. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: August 07, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5722324)
Oops -- new thread, I know.
Page 13 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 11 12 13

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.