Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 09, 2018

OTP 2018 July 9: Why It’s Hard to ‘Stick to Sports’

A quote attributed to the late U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren reads: “I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people’s accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man’s failures.”

But even in Warren’s lifetime, the sports page was full of things that moved outside the realm of sports accomplishments into the political world of page one: Jackie Robinson breaking the baseball color line, Muhammad Ali’s successful fight to overturn his criminal conviction for refusing military service in the Vietnam War, Tommie Smith and John Carlos’ black power salute from the victory stand of the 1968 Summer Olympics, the enactment of Title IX to expand opportunity for girls in sports, and Curt Flood’s lawsuit to break baseball’s reserve clause.

The mix of politics and sports wasn’t unique to Warren’s time. The two worlds have never been, never were, and never will be as separate as many imagine or would like them to be. Sports isn’t immune from capital-P political oversight and opinions, which grow out of the small-p politics about how we as people organize our lives and societies. In other words, angrily telling sports media figures and athletes themselves to “stick to sports”—a popular demand these days when sports and politics mix on social media—is an impossible ask.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:02 AM | 1010 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 11 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5707241)
Shaddup 'n' dribble...
   2. Bote Man Posted: July 09, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5707243)
CC: Craig Calcaterra
   3. perros Posted: July 09, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5707250)

I'm waiting for someone to tell me why I shouldn't support this guy.

Tell me the dirt on him and then maybe.
   4. strong silence Posted: July 09, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5707254)
Jess,
Did you ever provide your alternatives to democracy without secret intelligence ?

I might have missed it.

As I recall, my question to you was how a functioning and healthy democracy could provide:
A) security for its citizens
B) access to resources
C) freedom from abuse by that intelligence against its citizens.

Feel free to point me to a good book on the subject if your prefer.

5. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 03:15 PM (#5707258)
Tell me the dirt on him and then maybe.

The dirt on him seems to be that he's a bit too centrist for the wings, and that his popularity in NOLA wasn't peaked as he was leaving office. Otherwise, I don't see any as of yet.
   6. perros Posted: July 09, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5707263)
Vice has a piece saying he's gentrified New Orleans, a la Bloomberg, that developers ran amok creating airbnbs that have driven up property values, that he's used red light cameras to nickel and dime the poor, helped set up security cameras outside popular nightspots, hassled the music community in general and, perhaps worst of all, supported the outlawing of to go cups...

So, yeah, beyond the pretty words (that was one helluva speech), he's a typical corporate-friendly Dem who will likely protect the status quo.

But if Oprah loves him, maybe he can be her Joe Biden.
   7. perros Posted: July 09, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5707264)
That was unfair, as Landrieu has eschewed plugz. I'd be willing to listen further. If nothing else, he could serve as a Dem counter to white supremacy, at least in rhetoric. That's not nothin'.
   8. perros Posted: July 09, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5707268)
I might have missed it.

I wrote a bit shortly after you posed the question, which is a complex one. Thing is, CIA wasn't created in a vacuum, the US set out immediately post WWII in empire building, and CIA was vital in providing covert action towards that end. Instead of a book of solutions, read Miles Copeland's book on covert manipulation and regime change which is pretty upfront about SOP.

What you can't have is a spy agency that operates independently of Democratic control, that farms out the most heinous projects that would give a Nazi erections, that sees its directors cover up misdeeds, lie to, and even spy on Congress with impunity.

The tail is wagging the goddamned dog in more ways than one.
   9. perros Posted: July 09, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5707270)
Enough dribble from me, somebody take a shot.
   10. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5707272)
Vice has a piece saying he's gentrified New Orleans, a la Bloomberg, that developers ran amok creating airbnbs that have driven up property values, that he's used red light cameras to nickel and dime the poor, helped set up security cameras outside popular nightspots, hassled the music community in general and, perhaps worst of all, supported the outlawing of to go cups...

Outside of the nickel and dime fines that facilitate the perpetual police state within poor communities, I don't really see a lot of problem in that list. I mean, I get the whole sturm and drang about "gentrification," but gentrification is just another way of saying "he presided over an era of urban in-fill where a generation of young professionals (nationwide) opted for urban living in lieu of their parents white-flight driven suburban legacies.

And as you say, that's a hell of a speech, and that's a hell of a defense against the rising tide of white supremacy coming from the belly of the beast.

Punt on Oprah. I'd rather take this guy with some sausage-making experience as a mayor over Famous Black Lady Bizarro World Not-Trump.
   11. BrianBrianson Posted: July 09, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5707277)
And, of course, better to use red light cameras to nickel and dime the poor than beat cops to bludgeon the money out of them.
   12. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5707278)
And, of course, better to use red light cameras to nickel and dime the poor than beat cops to bludgeon the money out of them.

Meh. Red light cameras are part of the "law enforcement as profit center" mentality of the modern city/state. They facilitate the same sort of penny ante bullshit that allows courts to call people in on "fines" and then fine them again for not being able to afford to get off of work to show up for a noon court date, and then issue arrest warrants on them after they fail to pay the fine on the fine, etc, et al. They're a functional technological arm of the police state, and they need to go.
   13. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 09, 2018 at 04:07 PM (#5707280)
Comparing NOLA gentrification with NYC is an absurd exercise. There is still an incredible amount of land in NOLA that is functionally worthless post Katrina and is literally just rotting, stinking wood and refuse. Anybody that is buying this land and fixing it up for AirBNB rentals is unlikely to be displacing a long term resident or otherwise pricing them out of the neighborhood. This is hardly comparable to tearing down public housing and building condos or predatory buying of housing stock in Crown Heights.
   14. DavidFoss Posted: July 09, 2018 at 04:07 PM (#5707281)
A lot of democrats would be happy to just put up a generic candidate and running on the issues.

The big problem is which specific candidate can handle everything that Trump will throw at them for a full year or more. Only Trump can be Trump and it's tough to 'go high' against him.
   15. Traderdave Posted: July 09, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5707284)
Instead of "gentrification" just say "progress." It means the same thing and is easier to spell.

16. RMc Has Bizarre Ideas to Fix Baseball Posted: July 09, 2018 at 04:37 PM (#5707295)
Trump's popularity continues to trickle into the mid-forties. If he can pull off deals with Russia and/or North Korea and the economy keeps improving (or is perceived to be), I don't see how he loses in 2020. Sure, there could be a major scandal, but the guy's pretty much impervious to that stuff. He could have a health issue (the man's 72 and overweight, don't forget) or Trump might just declare victory and walk away. But unless the landscape changes dramatically (like, say, the Democrats getting an actual candidate), we're probably looking at four more years o' The Donald. Pfui.
   17. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: July 09, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5707302)
Kind of silly to write off 2020 right now.
   18. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 09, 2018 at 04:53 PM (#5707303)
I've been told what will happen in 2020, but I had to sign an NDA.
   19. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5707306)
Sure, there could be a major scandal

There have been no less than 20 major scandals already. The GOP doesn't give a #### about them. They crave power above all else, as all fascist parties do.
   20. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 09, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5707310)
Donald Trump to almost entirely avoid London during UK visit
Donald Trump will almost entirely avoid London during his four-day visit to the UK next week, Downing Street has said, unveiling an itinerary that is likely to prompt accusations he is trying to avoid planned protests against him.

......................[Trump] will only spend the night in London on Thursday, the day of his arrival. ..........................He will attend a gala dinner at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire, and the following day he will hold talks with the prime minister at her Chequers country retreat in Buckinghamshire. Both are places where protesters can be kept out of sight and earshot.

......................Details about what Trump will do in Scotland will be released next week, but No 10 has described the leg as “a private element of the official visit”. There is widespread speculation he will spend part of it playing golf.

......................While he is in the capital, a giant “Trump baby” balloon, caricaturing him as a nappy-wearing infant, will be flown in the sky over Westminster after the Greater London Authority (GLA) granted the creators permission.

......................Asked whether May was looking forward to hosting the US president, her spokeswoman replied: “Yes.”

British politician Nigel Farage:
Sadiq Khan has allowed an inflatable “Trump baby” blimp to fly in London. This is the biggest insult to a sitting US President ever.
Aidan Kerr:
We literally burned down the White House in 1814.

At least the world laughs at us no more!
   21. perros Posted: July 09, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5707313)
Instead of "gentrification" just say "progress." It means the same thing and is easier to spell.

Lebensraum.
   22. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 09, 2018 at 05:19 PM (#5707314)
Trump's popularity continues to trickle into the mid-forties. If he can pull off deals with Russia and/or North Korea and the economy keeps improving (or is perceived to be), I don't see how he loses in 2020. Sure, there could be a major scandal, but the guy's pretty much impervious to that stuff. He could have a health issue (the man's 72 and overweight, don't forget) or Trump might just declare victory and walk away. But unless the landscape changes dramatically (like, say, the Democrats getting an actual candidate), we're probably looking at four more years o' The Donald. Pfui.

According to who, Rassmussen?

I mean, I guess the high 30s are now rarer -- but forgive me if I think the fact that outside of Rassmussen, it's an earth-shattering, Clapper-reportable event when some poll shows him hitting 45% approve.

For the most part - he's still stuck in the low 40s.... and he hasn't gotten that DISAPPROVE number under 50 (or really, come close to that) since February of 2017.

23. , Posted: July 09, 2018 at 05:19 PM (#5707315)
I basically agree with 16. But, OTOH, Trump won a bunch of states narrowly to get his EC win. Whoever the D is only has to flip a few tens of thousands of votes in those states to win both the EC and a convincing popular vote victory. Approval in the 40s is far too high for as shirty a POTUS and man as Trump is, but it also isn’t unbeatable.

On the gripping hand, he’s the incumbent; if the economy is good, he’s the favorite.
   24. perros Posted: July 09, 2018 at 05:30 PM (#5707318)
The refusal to add two plus two is astounding. You fine people, then they can't pay, then they have outstanding warrants to allow the cops to choke 'em to death or shoot 'em for selling loosies or old cds or whatever. The dude I linked to was lucky to just get a tasing, I suppose.

Katrina was disaster capitalism at work. And the airbnbs were driving people out of the few livable, affordable neighborhoods, not fixing up disaster areas.

That you select for yuppies, buppies, and people of any color who can afford to buy in is not racial justice, is not democracy, and is fact good ol' American eugenics that Hitler praised in Mein Kampf and used as a model,

Don't decry police brutality when it's a necessary component of the progress you are selling.
   25. perros Posted: July 09, 2018 at 05:33 PM (#5707320)
Trump in the 40's is success for him. Until you drive him down into the 10s and 20s, Jack Frost ain't nipping at his toes.
   26. perros Posted: July 09, 2018 at 05:43 PM (#5707323)
America’s knack for maintaining an air of robust innocence in the wake of mass death struck Hitler as an example to be emulated. He made frequent mention of the American West in the early months of the Soviet invasion. The Volga would be “our Mississippi,” he said. “Europe—and not America—will be the land of unlimited possibilities.” Poland, Belarus, and Ukraine would be populated by pioneer farmer-soldier families. Autobahns would cut through fields of grain. The present occupants of those lands—tens of millions of them—would be starved to death. At the same time, and with no sense of contradiction, the Nazis partook of a long-standing German romanticization of Native Americans. One of Goebbels’s less propitious schemes was to confer honorary Aryan status on Native American tribes, in the hope that they would rise up against their oppressors.

Jim Crow laws in the American South served as a precedent in a stricter legal sense. Scholars have long been aware that Hitler’s regime expressed admiration for American race law, but they have tended to see this as a public-relations strategy—an “everybody does it” justification for Nazi policies. Whitman, however, points out that if these comparisons had been intended solely for a foreign audience they would not have been buried in hefty tomes in Fraktur type. “Race Law in the United States,” a 1936 study by the German lawyer Heinrich Krieger, attempts to sort out inconsistencies in the legal status of nonwhite Americans. Krieger concludes that the entire apparatus is hopelessly opaque, concealing racist aims behind contorted justifications. Why not simply say what one means? This was a major difference between American and German racism.

American eugenicists made no secret of their racist objectives, and their views were prevalent enough that F. Scott Fitzgerald featured them in “The Great Gatsby.” (The cloddish Tom Buchanan, having evidently read Lothrop Stoddard’s 1920 tract “The Rising Tide of Color Against White World-Supremacy,” says, “The idea is if we don’t look out the white race will be—will be utterly submerged.”) California’s sterilization program directly inspired the Nazi sterilization law of 1934. There are also sinister, if mostly coincidental, similarities between American and German technologies of death. In 1924, the first execution by gas chamber took place, in Nevada. In a history of the American gas chamber, Scott Christianson states that the fumigating agent Zyklon-B, which was licensed to American Cyanamid by the German company I. G. Farben, was considered as a lethal agent but found to be impractical. Zyklon-B was, however, used to disinfect immigrants as they crossed the border at El Paso—a practice that did not go unnoticed by Gerhard Peters, the chemist who supplied a modified version of Zyklon-B to Auschwitz. Later, American gas chambers were outfitted with a chute down which poison pellets were dropped. Earl Liston, the inventor of the device, explained, “Pulling a lever to kill a man is hard work. Pouring acid down a tube is easier on the nerves, more like watering flowers.” Much the same method was introduced at Auschwitz, to relieve stress on S.S. guards.

When Hitler praised American restrictions on naturalization, he had in mind the Immigration Act of 1924, which imposed national quotas and barred most Asian people altogether. For Nazi observers, this was evidence that America was evolving in the right direction, despite its specious rhetoric about equality. The Immigration Act, too, played a facilitating role in the Holocaust, because the quotas prevented thousands of Jews, including Anne Frank and her family, from reaching America. In 1938, President Roosevelt called for an international conference on the plight of European refugees; this was held in Évian-les-Bains, France, but no substantive change resulted. The German Foreign Office, in a sardonic reply, found it “astounding” that other countries would decry Germany’s treatment of Jews and then decline to admit them.

Hundreds of thousands of Americans died fighting Nazi Germany. Still, bigotry toward Jews persisted, even toward Holocaust survivors. General George Patton criticized do-gooders who “believe that the Displaced person is a human being, which he is not, and this applies particularly to the Jews who are lower than animals.”

How American Racism Influenced Hitler
   27. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 09, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5707325)
British politician Nigel Farage:
Sadiq Khan has allowed an inflatable “Trump baby” blimp to fly in London. This is the biggest insult to a sitting US President ever.

I guess babies in diapers have to stick together. He'd better hope that no Labor MPs are attending any of those ceremonies.
   28. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 09, 2018 at 06:02 PM (#5707328)
For the most part - he's still stuck in the low 40s.... and he hasn't gotten that DISAPPROVE number under 50 (or really, come close to that) since February of 2017.

Trump's RCP Favorability Rating was 37.5% on Election Day 2016. He may have set a record for votes from those who disapproved of him in some respect. You can thank Hillary for most of that. Can it happen again? Don't know, but Democrats seem determined to create a political climate in which it could.
   29. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 09, 2018 at 06:05 PM (#5707329)
I guess babies in diapers have to stick together.

Now more than ever.

The Associated Press:
The 1-year-old boy in a green button-up shirt drank milk from a bottle, played with a small purple ball that lit up when it hit the ground and occasionally asked for “agua.”

Then it was the child’s turn for his court appearance before a Phoenix immigration judge, who could hardly contain his unease with the situation during the portion of the hearing where he asks immigrant defendants whether they understand the proceedings.

“I’m embarrassed to ask it, because I don’t know who you would explain it to, unless you think that a 1-year-old could learn immigration law,” Judge John W. Richardson told the lawyer representing the 1-year-old boy.

............Such children don’t have a right to a court-appointed attorney. ..........In Phoenix on Friday, the Honduran boy named Johan waited over an hour to see the judge. His attorney told Richardson that the boy’s father had brought him to the U.S. but that they had been separated, although it’s unclear when. He said the father, who was now in Honduras, was removed from the country under false pretenses that he would be able to leave with his son.

For a while, the child wore dress shoes, but later he was in just socks as he waited to see the judge. He was silent and calm for most of the hearing, though he cried hysterically afterward for the few seconds that a worker handed him to another person while she gathered his diaper bag.

...........[Judge] Richardson repeatedly told the Immigration and Customs Enforcement attorney who was acting as the prosecutor that he should make note of the cases involving young children because of the government’s obligation to meet the reunification deadline. The attorney said he wasn’t familiar with that deadline and that a different department within ICE handled such matters.
   30. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 09, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5707332)
Trump's RCP Favorability Rating was 37.5% on Election Day 2016. He may have set a record for votes from those who disapproved of him in some respect. You can thank Hillary for most of that. Can it happen again? Don't know, but Democrats seem determined to create a political climate in which it could.

Said Clapper, without a hint of irony.

Maybe some day, you'll be kind enough to explain your theory of why sheer assholish invective worked for the GOP but won't work for the Democrats.

31. Howie Menckel Posted: July 09, 2018 at 06:11 PM (#5707333)
Peter Baker
‏Verified account @peterbakernyt
1h1 hour ago

Buzz at the US courthouse in DC: Brett Kavanaugh spotted leaving in a black sedan accompanied by four black SUVs with security agents presumed to be Secret Service, per source.

(they should do this with all 4 finalists, plus Garland - then have all 5 of them on a panel. Trump will ask his selection to stand up, and they'll each head-fake and bob up and down "To Tell the Truth" game show style to add to the anticipation.

if someone had suggested this to Trump, I could totally picture him going for it. Garland, not so much.)
   32. perros Posted: July 09, 2018 at 06:22 PM (#5707336)
The map of the West Bank that led to Mike Flynn's downfall

Later, Kerry presented some of the maps to Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian President. Kerry’s goal was to show Abbas that the Obama Administration understood the extent to which the two-state solution was threatened. Abbas was taken aback. Instead of feeling reassured, he told a confidant that the maps convinced him that the Americans believed “the chances of a viable Palestinian state is next to nil.” Alarmed by Israeli actions depicted in the maps, Obama decided to abstain on a U.N. Security Council resolution condemning the settlements, clearing the way for its passage. It would be Obama’s final act of defiance against Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister, before Donald Trump took office and put in place policies that were far more accepting of the settlers.

Fun fact: when Netanyahu visited the home of Charles Kushner in NJ, he took Jared's bedroom, sending the kid to the basement.
   33. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 09, 2018 at 06:22 PM (#5707337)
Cable news is awash with pulse-pounding chyrons like "TRUMP HAS DECIDED ON SUPREME COURT PICK." Really? No shit? You mean the one he's announcing in a couple of hours? Now that's breaking news you can use. Have they also made flight arrangements for Trump's trip to England?
   34. RMc Has Bizarre Ideas to Fix Baseball Posted: July 09, 2018 at 06:31 PM (#5707338)
Trump's RCP Favorability Rating was 37.5% on Election Day 2016. He may have set a record for votes from those who disapproved of him in some respect.

Something like 20% of the voters didn't like Trump or Hillary, and Trump got about two-thirds of those votes. That was the difference.

(NB: RCP has Trump at 43.4% at the moment.)

why sheer assholish invective worked for the GOP but won't work for the Democrats.

Good question, actually. I suspect it's mostly Trump being Trump, not Trump being a Republican.

35. bookbook Posted: July 09, 2018 at 06:36 PM (#5707342)
Gonfalon, this is the Trump administration, whose only positive is its incompetence. They probably haven’t made flight arrangements yet.
   36. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 09, 2018 at 06:46 PM (#5707344)
Peter Baker
‏Verified account @peterbakernyt

Buzz at the US courthouse in DC: Brett Kavanaugh spotted leaving in a black sedan accompanied by four black SUVs with security agents presumed to be Secret Service, per source.

In a somewhat similar vein:
Ted Cruz, @tedcruz

I'm told Mike Lee has been spotted flying to Washington today....

The Senator may be trolling a bit there.
   37. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 09, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5707347)
why sheer assholish invective worked for the GOP but won't work for the Democrats.

Good question, actually. I suspect it's mostly Trump being Trump, not Trump being a Republican.

Though - as one of the GOP candidates for GA Governor says...

On Monday, secretly recorded audio was released of Lt. Gov Casey Cagle dismissively describing his state’s wild five-man primary as a contest between “who had the biggest gun, who had the biggest truck and who could be the craziest.

38. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 09, 2018 at 07:08 PM (#5707349)
Brett Kavanaugh spotted leaving in a black sedan accompanied by four black SUVs with security agents presumed to be Secret Service, per source.

That means Brett Kavanaugh sleeps with the fishes.
   39. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:00 PM (#5707364)

Perhaps because the GOP is the party of ########?

Though - as one of the GOP candidates for GA Governor says...

Cagle is literally running ads against his primary GOP opposition comparing him to Hillary Clinton. The GOP are ####### morons.
   40. Lassus Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:04 PM (#5707368)
I guess babies in diapers have to stick together.
Now more than ever.
The Associated Press:

As a pacifist, I'm starting to really feel like people are going to need to talk to a baseball bat.
   41. DJS Holiday-Related Pun Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:11 PM (#5707373)
Too bad, I was hoping for Kethledge.
   42. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:11 PM (#5707374)
Some last-minute unsourced tea leaf reading at SCOTUS Blog:
Amy Coney Barrett is at her house in Indiana. It's not her.

Kethledge was informed by phone that it's not him.

Hardiman is in DC, but has a pre-existing reason to be there.

The DC Circuit rushed out an opinion in a boring case about attorney's fees in which Kavanaugh was on the panel, and in which there was a dissent, on a day when the DC Circuit doesn't normally issue opinions.

43. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:17 PM (#5707375)
It's too good for him.

McConnell chased from KY restaurant by protesters

(CNN)Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was followed to his car Saturday by protesters who hurled both personal insults and political rhetoric at him while he left a Kentucky restaurant.

The encounter, which took place in a parking lot outside of a Louisville restaurant, was captured on camera by one of the protesters. In the video, you can hear the group of protesters chanting "vote you out!" and "abolish ICE!" to the Republican senator from Kentucky. One man can be heard calling the senator "turtle head" and repeatedly saying "we know where you live" as the senator and two dining companions climb into their parked vehicle.

he should have been beaten with a brick like this guy
   44. Dan The Mediocre is one of "the rest" Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5707381)
Amy Coney Barrett is at her house in Indiana. It's not her.

Fun Fact: The house she lives in is the house my mother grew up in. She bought the house when my grandmother was moved into a condo.
   45. Howie Menckel Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:35 PM (#5707384)
43 makes me wonder if the saying is really, "when they go low, we ....get confused"
   46. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:38 PM (#5707387)
43 makes me wonder if the saying is really, "when they go low, we ....get confused"

No. What I am saying is that Trump supporters should be subject to the #### they dump on others.

Trump wants 91 YO Mexicans to be assaulted by bricks, so anyone who supports Trump, like the Turtle should be also. if it's a war you ####### want, we outnumber you.
   47. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:47 PM (#5707392)
. . . if it's a war you ####### want, we outnumber you.

Misirlou will eventually find out that relatively few people - mostly on the left these days - actually support harassment and violence toward people with differing politics. Aligning with the Sam-level stupids is never the smart move.
   48. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:49 PM (#5707393)
No. What I am saying is that Trump supporters should be subject to the #### they dump on others.

I'd settle for putting that woman and her fellow thugs away for life, and placing that 4 year old child in a loving Latino family where she wouldn't be raised in an atmosphere of hate. There's absolutely no reason whatever why the man's assailants should be allowed to live, but life without parole would give them more time to think about what they've done.
   49. Srul Itza Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:50 PM (#5707394)
If it's a war you ####### want, we outnumber you.

As Jay Gould (apocryphally) noted, the rich can always pay half the poor, to shoot the other half.
   50. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:02 PM (#5707402)
As Jay Gould (apocryphally) noted, the rich can always pay half the poor, to shoot the other half.

Yes, but it's not so simple anymore. A huge part of the Republican Party is now poor white racists. I'm not sure that they outnumber us monetarily anymore.
   51. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:04 PM (#5707405)
If it's a war you ####### want, we outnumber you.

Organize. Train. Stand.
   52. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:05 PM (#5707406)
but life without parole would give them more time to think about what they've done.

They would not think about anything. Thinking is above their pay grade.
   53. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:14 PM (#5707412)
but life without parole would give them more time to think about what they've done.

They would not think about anything. Thinking is above their pay grade.

Okay, then it'll give them more time to howl at the moon.
   54. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5707418)
If Clapper ever gets around to watching those Trump rallies and pressers he has on dvr boy is he gonna feel sttttttuuuuuuupppppiiiiid
   55. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:23 PM (#5707424)
If Clapper ever gets around to watching those Trump rallies

Let's hope he dies overnight and they go unwatched. One less traitor to deal with.
   56. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:24 PM (#5707425)
Kavanugh is likely to be confirmed with ~ 55 votes. Those hoping that he will be dirtied up by the hearing process will be disappointed. It will be another John Roberts performance - a complete rout. Senators whose knowledge of the law is mostly limited to what they can read off note cards won't lay a glove on Kavanugh.
   57. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5707428)
Kavanugh is likely to be confirmed with ~ 55 votes.

Die in a fire. Or just of cancer. Whatever gets the job done and clears you from the gene pool.
   58. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:47 PM (#5707439)
Organize. Train. Stand.

You effete fancy lads like Juan and Little Lord are going to be in for a world of hurt if rednecks gain class consciousness.

59. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:51 PM (#5707440)
Will they be medi-vac'ing McCain to D.C. to have a hope of this ~55-vote rout?

~ has some work to do. Stay strong, ~.
   60. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:56 PM (#5707442)
Dave Croatto:
Reuniting Kids with Parents:

Thailand 8-for-12.

U.S. 0-for-3,000.
   61. . . . . . . Posted: July 09, 2018 at 09:57 PM (#5707444)
Kavanaugh is a bland DC republican apparatchik, but he’ll be confirmed by a comfortable margin because he’s a bland DC republican apparatchik. Whatever, he’s fine from my conservative lawyer perspective, albeit utterly uninspiring. I think Barrett would’ve been a much more interesting judge.
   62. Lassus Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:03 PM (#5707448)
Thailand 8-for-12.

Hadn't heard about the 2nd group of four. Some good news for once.
   63. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:07 PM (#5707452)
From the New York Times - A Liberal's Case For Brett Kavanaugh:
The nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to be the next Supreme Court justice is President Trump’s finest hour, his classiest move. Last week the president promised to select “someone with impeccable credentials, great intellect, unbiased judgment, and deep reverence for the laws and Constitution of the United States.” In picking Judge Kavanaugh, he has done just that.
. . .
Judge Kavanaugh, who is 53, has already helped decide hundreds of cases concerning a broad range of difficult issues. Good appellate judges faithfully follow the Supreme Court; great ones influence and help steer it. Several of Judge Kavanaugh’s most important ideas and arguments — such as his powerful defense of presidential authority to oversee federal bureaucrats and his skepticism about newfangled attacks on the property rights of criminal defendants — have found their way into Supreme Court opinions.
. . .
Most judges are not scholars or even serious readers of scholarship. Judge Kavanaugh, by contrast, has taught courses at leading law schools and published notable law review articles. More important, he is an avid consumer of legal scholarship. He reads and learns. And he reads scholars from across the political spectrum.
. . .
Although Democrats are still fuming about Judge Garland’s failed nomination, the hard truth is that they control neither the presidency nor the Senate; they have limited options. Still, they could try to sour the hearings by attacking Judge Kavanaugh and looking to complicate the proceedings whenever possible. This would be a mistake. Judge Kavanaugh is, again, a superb nominee.

Much more at link.
   64. Lassus Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:12 PM (#5707454)
Whatever gets the job done and clears you from the gene pool.

I hate... well, no, I don't hate to be bleak, but I don't think this is going to help or clear his genes from the pool, he's done with all that by now.
   65. greenback slays lewks Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:23 PM (#5707457)
I hate... well, no, I don't hate to be bleak, but I don't think this is going to help or clear his genes from the pool, he's done with all that by now.

You never know what scientific advances will enable. I mean, just tonight I learned that Ed Meese is one of the un-dead.
   66. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:49 PM (#5707474)
Here is Turley's column on the politics of the abortion issue w/r/t the USSC vacancy.

But I'm more interested in the incidental side point Turley makes. In the bolded paragraph below he makes the argument of how much Trump has gotten done -- agree or disagree -- since he took office:

Catching Roe: Republicans Face The Peril Of Success Of A Pro-Life Majority

The problem for the Republican Party is that Trump could actually succeed with the nominee he announces Monday to replace retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy.

Many Republicans say privately it is the last thing they want to happen, given the potential for backlash in House and Senate elections that could turn on thin margins. Polls put public support for Roe v. Wade as high as 70 percent, with a majority opposing a nominee who wants to reverse it.

That includes many of those suburban moms critical to the Republican majority. Roe is approaching 50 years, but it is still driving our political debate. It is one thing to chase a court and another thing to catch one.

Trump didn’t get the memo on abortion

The biggest concern in Washington is that Trump did not get the memo about sounding pro-life without actually being pro-life. One of the most fascinating aspects of the Trump administration is the remarkably high number of promises that Trump has actually kept. Voters are used to presidents discarding promises, or being unable to keep them, after they assume office.

Given his reputation for hyperbole and distortion, few really expected Trump to make good on many of his promises. Yet he has assembled an impressive record on deliverables, from tax cuts to drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to dismantling Obamacare; from cracking down on illegal immigration and trade he calls unfair, to moving the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem, to rolling back environmental and other regulations.

If Trump were to deliver on reversing Roe, he would have accomplished something that five Republican presidents, including Ronald Reagan, could not achieve for decades. In other words, Trump might just mean it, and that is precisely the problem for many senators.

Here is what Truley links to above. It's certainly the hacky pro-Trump case for what Trump has accomplished:

So what did Trump accomplish? For one thing, he appointed an all-star Cabinet that has been quietly and dutifully implementing the president’s agenda even as their boss runs interference for them, taking the slings and arrows of a hostile media. He has appointed more judges to the federal bench in his first year than any president ever, including Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. And they are constitutionalists. This alone will represents a signal triumph that will resound for the next few generations.

There’s more. Under Trump, construction has begun on the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines even as the United States will soon achieve oil production of 10 million barrels per day, will become a net exporter of oil sometime in the next decade, and is set to rival Russia as the world’s largest oil producer by 2019.

Add to that low unemployment, rising wages, a booming stock market and a tax cut that will put more money in middle-class pockets starting next month and you have the makings of a very successful presidency. Did I mention that Obamacare’s noxious individual mandate has been consigned to history’s dustbin as well?

And there’s more.

At the border, illegal crossings are down as much as 60%, showing that a willingness to enforce the law and end incentives to enter the country illegally will change behavior.

Likewise, Trump has overseen a change in national security policy from the globalist moral imperialism of his recent predecessors to the interests based in realism that he calls America First. His speeches in Warsaw, Poland, and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, were triumphs. They encouraged our friends and put our enemies on notice.

And for all the talk of Russian conspiracies, Trump has taken a tough stance with Putin — willing to work with him where it advances U.S. interests but also arming Ukraine in its ongoing fight with Russia.

In the Middle East, ISIS has gone from a burgeoning caliphate stretching from the Atlantic to the Levant to a failed pseudo-state, while Trump has revitalized our decades old alliance with Saudi Arabia and its new, reformist crown prince.

Back in Washington, Trump’s appointees are quietly cutting regulations pursuant to one of his first executive orders, which instructs them to cut two regulations for every new one they put in place.

One can certainly disagree with the above, particularly the characterization of various items and whether they're good or bad. But one thing is clear: While folks are busy obsessing over ridiculous distractions such as Russia collusion and Stormy Daniels and Michael Cohen and the LOCK THEM UP!!!!! legal troubles of the winning campaign -- Manafort/Flynn/Papadopoulos et al. -- Trump is killing it on the agenda side of things. You're fiddling with this other nonsense as the country burns.
   67. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:50 PM (#5707475)
It’s a target rich environment.
   68. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:53 PM (#5707479)
The country burns because of do nothing lick spittles who read Dilbert as political philosophy.
   69. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:55 PM (#5707481)
Clapper, #63:
. . .

. . .

. . .

Tsk tsk.
   70. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:57 PM (#5707484)
The country burns because of do nothing lick spittles who read Dilbert as political philosophy.

Dilbert got it right. You, on the other hand, have admitted that you couldn't read the board.
   71. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:59 PM (#5707485)
Given his reputation for hyperbole and distortion, few really expected Trump to make good on many of his promises. Yet he has assembled an impressive record on deliverables, from tax cuts to drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to dismantling Obamacare; from cracking down on illegal immigration and trade he calls unfair, to moving the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem, to rolling back environmental and other regulations.

In which we confuse "perpetual motion" as always being a good thing.
   72. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 09, 2018 at 10:59 PM (#5707486)
Dilbert guessed correctly. I over estimated the moral spine of American right wingers. It won’t happen again
   73. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:04 PM (#5707490)
Trump wants 91 YO Mexicans to be assaulted by bricks,

This is a lie, but don't let it stop you.

so anyone who supports Trump, like the Turtle should be also. if it's a war you ####### want, we outnumber you.

Sadly the violence and the advocates therefor seem to be mainly on the left.
   74. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:06 PM (#5707491)
Anyone who refers to Teump's "all star" cabinet is not someone whose analytical or descriptive skills should be taken seriously.
   75. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:10 PM (#5707492)

It certainly never stopped Trump... Hell, the geniuses all say he won because he made people angry by purposefully lying and luring them into some infinitely clever trap.

So, sure.

Trump wants 91 year old men beaten with bricks.

76. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:10 PM (#5707493)
Just caught up. Today was the day that Misirlou finally joined Sam's camp.

Although there's a question of whether Sam's work might only be performance art. Misirlou's most certainly is not. He has simply gone insane.
   77. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:12 PM (#5707494)

The biggest concern in Washington is that Trump did not get the memo about sounding pro-life without actually being pro-life. One of the most fascinating aspects of the Trump administration is the remarkably high number of promises that Trump has actually kept. Voters are used to presidents discarding promises, or being unable to keep them, after they assume office.
Indeed. Remember how he built the wall, and Mexico paid for it? Or how he shut down all Muslims coming into the U.S.? Or how he repealed and replaced Obamacare? Or how he brought all our troops home? Or drained the swamp? Or locked Hillary up? Or cut the federal government? This isn't even good trolling on Turley's part. Trump did give us a phony tax cut, and he announced the names of some judges. And let's not forget, he hasn't nuked Belgium. This is (to quote his GOP predecessor in the white house) the soft bigotry of low expectations.
   78. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:13 PM (#5707495)
Trump wants 91 YO Mexicans to be assaulted by bricks,

How do you know?

I'll cop to not knowing for sure ,though it's a reasonable inference, but how do you know for sure?
   79. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:13 PM (#5707496)
Trump wants 91 year old men beaten with bricks.

I understand that you folks have lost the ability to perceive reality so you invent a cartoon version of Trump when there really is no need -- it's not like there's any shortage of fronts to attack him on without making stuff up -- but aren't you folks at all _embarrassed_ to admit that you are incapable of reading the world?
   80. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:17 PM (#5707497)
I understand that you folks have lost the ability to perceive reality so you invent a cartoon version of Trump when there really is no need -- it's not like there's any shortage of fronts to attack him on without making stuff up -- but aren't you folks at all _embarrassed_ to admit that you are incapable of reading the world?

I can't hear you over the din of this awesome Martha's Vineyard party I'm at.
   81. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:18 PM (#5707499)
How do you know?

I'll cop to not knowing for sure,thouigh it's a reasonable inference, but how do you know for sure?

It strikes me that many of the folks on this board who have lost all sense of reason have children. That they impart life's lessons to.

You guys are setting them up to fail. Doesn't that give you pause? If you teach insane irrational thought to young people you've dealt them a huge blow in life. Half the battle is being able to rationally perceive the world.
   82. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:20 PM (#5707501)
If you teach insane irrational thought to young people you've dealt them a huge blow in life. Half the battle is being able to rationally perceive the world.

Hey now, Bannon is supposed to be off limits.
   83. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:22 PM (#5707502)
It strikes me that many of the folks on this board who have lost all sense of reason have children. That they impart life's lessons to.

You guys are setting them up to fail. Doesn't that give you pause? If you teach insane irrational thought to young people you've dealt them a huge blow in life. Half the battle is being able to rationally perceive the world.

You're funny. Trump is evil. Anyone who supports Trump is evil. My children understand this. Thus, I and my family are orders of magnitude more moral than you.
   84. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:24 PM (#5707504)
Dilbert guessed correctly. I over estimated the moral spine of American right wingers. It won’t happen again

The main problem you and your fellow geniuses had was supporting Hillary and pretending she wasn't a deeply flawed candidate. Even David was able to see this one. And it came at a time when you simply couldn't afford to make that sort of mistake. Aside from everything else Trump has done, you've already given him two Supreme Court picks, and it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if he had a third -- with more to come before we even get to 2020. You have allowed him to shape the Court for generations. That's an out and out disaster.
   85. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:27 PM (#5707505)
Misirlou: no sense discussing anything with someone who is baying at the moon.
   86. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:29 PM (#5707506)
Concession accepted.
   87. greenback slays lewks Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:36 PM (#5707511)
And it came at a time when you simply couldn't afford to make that sort of mistake.

You have this completely backwards. The 2016 election was the least important election in my lifetime.

ETA: To some extent that's what made Trump viable. It's pretty hard to #### up the economy (I'll grant that he's trying) and it's pretty hard to #### up foreign policy (he's trying really hard here). The R's will get some Supreme Court seats, and it sucks because the rights of the individual essentially will be ground to bits to support large corporations and the whims of law enforcement. But that will be limited in state legislatures, as well as Congress, and in thirty years this #### will be an unpleasant memory.
   88. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 09, 2018 at 11:49 PM (#5707513)
Not following your logic, Greenback.
   89. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:37 AM (#5707523)
I can't hear you over the din of this awesome Martha's Vineyard party I'm at.
I return to this horrific cesspool after several days and zonk is still thinking anyone other than ABGL readers and maybe a half-dozen Trumpkins give a flying #### about who's invited to Martha's Vineyard parties?
   90. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:42 AM (#5707524)
Stephen Miller (the other one):
It’s endlessly entertaining watching the people who had no problem broadcasting Trump’s empty podium for months on end grapple with whether or not they should air his rallies now that he won.
Conservatives in early 2016: Hey guys, maybe stop airing his rallies in full.

Media: ROFL hell no did you see Trump imitate Drake on SNL!!??!1
Ezra Klein’s website warned us that Rubio & Cruz would be worse than Trump as they played pied piper for him. Now they don’t want to see his rallies anymore. #### off. Take your medicine.
   91. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:49 AM (#5707527)
and he announced the names of some judges.
Come on, David, admit that you (and I) were very much unconvinced before the election that he'd hit doubles and home runs with nearly all of his judicial picks.
   92. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 01:00 AM (#5707531)
he should have been beaten with a brick like this guy
Spoken like a good little stormtrooper.
   93. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 10, 2018 at 02:51 AM (#5707542)
Will they be medi-vac'ing McCain to D.C. to have a hope of this ~55-vote rout?

Maybe:
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) released the following statement today on the nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court of the United States:

“In selecting Judge Brett Kavanaugh to fill the vacancy left by Justice Kennedy, President Trump has chosen a nominee with impeccable credentials and a strong record of upholding the Constitution. Over the course of Judge Kavanaugh's impressive legal career, he has built a reputation as a fair, independent, and mainstream judge who has earned widespread respect from his peers. One of the Senate's highest constitutional responsibilities is to provide advice and consent on nominations to the Supreme Court, and I look forward to the Senate fulfilling this critical duty through a fair and thorough confirmation process.”

More importantly, it will be very difficult to get any GOP votes against Kavanaugh.
   94. . Posted: July 10, 2018 at 06:55 AM (#5707545)
You're funny. Trump is evil. Anyone who supports Trump is evil.

No. Your assertion is insane. The good thing is that it's only the internet and social media that has led you to think such a thing in the first place and to write such a thing out loud.

Therefore, there is a solution -- get off the internet and social media. I doubt you'll actually avail yourself of the solution, but this is clearly the correct diagnosis.
   95. . Posted: July 10, 2018 at 06:59 AM (#5707546)
The main problem you and your fellow geniuses had was supporting Hillary

They were forewarned and didn't listen. And now they're doubling down on the very same mistakes.

"Abolish ICE." LOL. Yeah, that oughta work well.
   96. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 07:17 AM (#5707547)
The only thing I am embarrassed about is having once called fascists “friends.”
   97. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 07:34 AM (#5707548)
It’s a bit less cess ridden when you disappear, cockholster.
   98. DavidFoss Posted: July 10, 2018 at 07:56 AM (#5707549)
They were forewarned and didn't listen.

Dismantling NATO and embracing Putin to own the libs.
   99. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 08:15 AM (#5707552)
They were forewarned and didn't listen.

There are enough rounds for Quislings too.
   100. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 08:15 AM (#5707553)
A flip for everyone.
Page 1 of 11 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost of Sox Fans Past
for his generous support.