Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 09, 2018

OTP 2018 July 9: Why It’s Hard to ‘Stick to Sports’

A quote attributed to the late U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren reads: “I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people’s accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man’s failures.”

But even in Warren’s lifetime, the sports page was full of things that moved outside the realm of sports accomplishments into the political world of page one: Jackie Robinson breaking the baseball color line, Muhammad Ali’s successful fight to overturn his criminal conviction for refusing military service in the Vietnam War, Tommie Smith and John Carlos’ black power salute from the victory stand of the 1968 Summer Olympics, the enactment of Title IX to expand opportunity for girls in sports, and Curt Flood’s lawsuit to break baseball’s reserve clause.

The mix of politics and sports wasn’t unique to Warren’s time. The two worlds have never been, never were, and never will be as separate as many imagine or would like them to be. Sports isn’t immune from capital-P political oversight and opinions, which grow out of the small-p politics about how we as people organize our lives and societies. In other words, angrily telling sports media figures and athletes themselves to “stick to sports”—a popular demand these days when sports and politics mix on social media—is an impossible ask.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:02 AM | 1010 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 11 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 08:15 AM (#5707554)
The R's will get some Supreme Court seats, and it sucks because the rights of the individual essentially will be ground to bits to support large corporations and the whims of law enforcement.
Eh? No idea why you think the Supreme Court will "support ... the whims of law enforcement." I mean, yes, it does suck that Scalia isn't on the Court anymore, but Gorsuch, too, looks to be supportive of individual rights -- more so than Garland would've been -- and I suspect Kavanaugh will be an improvement on Kennedy.

It's possible that some of the sillier capital punishment jurisprudence may be trimmed back (but probably not -- more likely it just won't be expanded -- and that has little to do with law enforcement per se), but on things like the fourth amendment, and on civil forfeiture, this court is likely to be pretty good.
   102. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 10, 2018 at 08:18 AM (#5707555)
You have this completely backwards. The 2016 election was the least important election in my lifetime.

ETA: To some extent that's what made Trump viable. It's pretty hard to #### up the economy (I'll grant that he's trying) and it's pretty hard to #### up foreign policy (he's trying really hard here). The R's will get some Supreme Court seats, and it sucks because the rights of the individual essentially will be ground to bits to support large corporations and the whims of law enforcement. But that will be limited in state legislatures, as well as Congress, and in thirty years this #### will be an unpleasant memory.

Except for the people who were terrorized by Trump's zero tolerance policies and ICE's indiscriminate raids, and except for the people who lost their health insurance. Thinking about thirty years later isn't going to do those people much good.

And of course much more real damage will be seen in those state legislatures that aren't safely blue, with little chance of their excesses being overruled by a Supreme Court that's little more than the Judicial wing of the Federalist Society. One of these years liberals will learn to play the long game that Lewis Powell told conservatives to do nearly 50 years ago, but it sure hasn't happened yet.
   103. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 08:38 AM (#5707557)
and he announced the names of some judges.

Come on, David, admit that you (and I) were very much unconvinced before the election that he'd hit doubles and home runs with nearly all of his judicial picks.
I think I've admitted that a few times. (We dodged another bullet with no Justice Jeanine Pirro!) But he's got zero VORR (value over replacement republican) on that issue -- it's pretty much automatic (thanks to Harry Reid!) -- and it literally requires no effort on his part. No strategy, no negotiations, no planning, no procedure, no understanding of any issues. Just, "Here's the person's name."
   104. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 09:05 AM (#5707558)
Much as I do expect judge BTK will be confirmed, probably a few votes north of 50 (Hell, I'd put better odds on Susan Collins voting no than Manchin and I don't think Collins will be voting no) - I do very much think the 45 to 47 Dems who will vote no should do everything possible to make the confirmation as big a #### show as possible.

In particular, I'm pleased that the Minnesota Law Review article about not bothering Presidents with trifles has taken center stage. It goes to the heart of Trumpublicanism, and the deliciousness of it being penned by Ken Starr's right-hand man is an even juicier cherry.

Indeed - to the extent there even exists a non-zero chance he doesn't get confirmed, I imagine pounding him on this, 'witch hunts', and just how much latitude to do what they want would be the only way there anyway... If nothing else, it will be fun to rehash his heady days of investigating the 'murder' of Vince Foster and compare/contrast with I Love It/He's Just the Campaign Chairman and His Crimes - with Russia - were Before the Campaign/etc. Should make for good TV, if nothing else.

105. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 09:13 AM (#5707560)
In particular, I'm pleased that the Minnesota Law Review article about not bothering Presidents with trifles has taken center stage. It goes to the heart of Trumpublicanism, and the deliciousness of it being penned by Ken Starr's right-hand man is an even juicier cherry.

The second paragraph there gives it away. "Because we're gigantic seeping pussies who cower in fear at the terrible Musslemen hordes, we should crown the President Dictator for Life." #### them all.
   106. Yonder Alonso in misguided trousers (cardinal) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5707562)
They were forewarned and didn't listen.

Maybe you should have scolded louder.
   107. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 09:31 AM (#5707565)
The second paragraph there gives it away. "Because we're gigantic seeping pussies who cower in fear at the terrible Musslemen hordes, we should crown the President Dictator for Life." #### them all.

I personally like how BTK fudges the timeline... and studiously avoids dealing with the fact that he was doing CSI: Vince Foster four years before Clinton's perjury about Paula Jones....

Or - maybe it's the way he wrings his hands over the duties of people to follow what he now thinks is bad law, while only vaguely alluding to himself as involved (certainly not admitting to being one of the principles).

Perhaps the funniest part, though - to the extent Trump reads or researches or listens to anything - how much do you want to bet that THIS article was almost certainly given VERY prominent mention to Trump by those wanting this particular choice?

It's all just too perfect... Cuts his legal teeth spending 6 years hunting Clinton, goes on to to work for the 2nd worst President ever - and gets his bench through him, then appointed to SCOTUS by the worst President ever... after he has disavowed his first big law gig? Which just so happens to have oodles of parallels to that same worst President who appointed him?

Awesome.
   108. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 09:37 AM (#5707567)
If nothing else, it will be fun to rehash his heady days of investigating the 'murder' of Vince Foster
He investigated it as his job, and confirmed it to be a suicide, leading to the Alex Jones fever swamps accusing him in recent days of a “cover up.” Not really sure what your point is.
   109. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 09:41 AM (#5707570)
I would tell you to be quiet and let the grownups talk, but since you’re responding to Mr. Flee-The-Country, that’s not really a factor, I guess.
   110. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5707571)
He investigated it as his job, and confirmed it to be a suicide, leading to the Alex Jones fever swamps accusing him in recent days of a “cover up.” Not really sure what your point is.

Ask Rudy Loblaw.

Or, to specifically answer your question about the point - was the investigation itself a witch hunt? Should it have ceased before every tendril of a thread of an unbelievable charge was fully and completely investigated?
   111. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 09:49 AM (#5707573)
I would tell you to be quiet and let the grownups talk

And I would inform you that you're not tall enough to ride this ride, boy.
   112. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:01 AM (#5707576)
Dilbert guessed correctly. I over estimated the moral spine of American right wingers. It won’t happen again

Relevant
   113. Howie Menckel Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:01 AM (#5707577)
this is......... interesting

Geoff Bennett
‏Verified account @GeoffRBennett
3h3 hours ago

Source familiar tells NBC that Justice Kennedy had been in negotiations with the Trump team for months over Kennedy’s replacement. Once Kennedy received assurances that it would be Kavanaugh (his former law clerk) Kennedy felt comfortable retiring
   114. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:02 AM (#5707578)
   115. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:04 AM (#5707579)
About that law review article, zonk:
A second possible concern is that the country needs a check
against a bad-behaving or law-breaking President. But the
Constitution already provides that check. If the President does
something dastardly, the impeachment process is available.33
No single prosecutor, judge, or jury should be able to accomplish
what the Constitution assigns to the Congress.34 Moreover,
an impeached and removed President is still subject to
criminal prosecution afterwards. In short, the Constitution establishes
a clear mechanism to deter executive malfeasance;
we
should not burden a sitting President with civil suits, criminal
investigations, or criminal prosecutions.35 The President’s job is
difficult enough as is. And the country loses when the President’s
focus is distracted by the burdens of civil litigation or
criminal investigation and possible prosecution.36
Emphasis mine.

Isn't it funny how lefties only read aloud the subsequent words, which provide little to no context? If that's what the zonks, Maddows, and Toobins are going to focus on, that only underlines how little ammo they've got aimed at Kavanaugh.
   116. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:07 AM (#5707581)
Except for the people who were terrorized by Trump's zero tolerance policies
"Terrorized," huh?

Andy can be so adorable even during his more ornery moments.
   117. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM (#5707584)
Relevant

Are you suggesting that a cockless whore is a cockless whore? Shocking.
   118. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM (#5707585)
"Terrorized," huh?

The Trump regime is a terror state. It should be opposed as such.
   119. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:14 AM (#5707588)
Roll Call: After Moscow Trip, Ron Johnson Says Election Meddling Overblown

Add him to the list. We got plenty of rope.
   120. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:19 AM (#5707589)
The shtick is getting old.
   121. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:20 AM (#5707591)
Isn't it funny how lefties only read aloud the subsequent words, which provide little to no context? If that's what the zonks, Maddows, and Toobins are going to focus on, that only underlines how little ammo they've got aimed at Kavanaugh.

Not nearly as funny as how certain principles seem to have developed a rather odd, 8 year repeating cycle... Get the President... Leave the President alone!.... Get the President.... Leave the President alone....

But don't you worry, buttercup - we'll be breaking up that regular as the tide cycle soon.
   122. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:22 AM (#5707592)
If Greg K has been AWOL this morning, here's why:
Buckingham Palace was the focal point for an enormous flyover by the British Royal Air Force (RAF) today, as the service celebrated its 100-year anniversary.

The RAF was the first independent air force in history. Its centenary was on April 1, after which 100 days of celebrations began. This culminated with 100 combat aircraft flying low over central London on Tuesday in an impressive display.

The Royal Family and Queen Elizabeth II stood on the palace balcony, looking up at the spectacle. The Queen, at age 92, is only eight years younger than the RAF.

The flyby followed a service at the historic Westminster Abbey and a parade down The Mall—the famous road leading from Trafalgar Square to the gates of Buckingham Palace—involving up to 1,300 RAF personnel.

The planes involved were plucked from across the service’s 100-year history. The aircraft that won the Battle of Britain and executed raids over Nazi Europe in World War II flew alongside those that took part in Britain’s recent Middle East wars.

The RAF’s newest acquisition—the American Lockheed Martin F-35 II Lightning stealth jet—joined in the aerial parade. The F-35 is a fifth-generation fighter and one of the most advanced in the world.

World War II-era Spitfire and Hurricane fighters were some of the oldest planes on display. For almost an entire year, RAF fighter pilots—which included airmen from all over the world—stood alone against the Nazi Luftwaffe that was inflicting “the Blitz” bombing campaign on Britain’s cities, killing tens of thousands of people.
There are still one or two Hurricanes flying today? Awesome! It's by far the most Rodney Dangerfield of World War II fighters.
   123. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:24 AM (#5707593)
Not nearly as funny as how certain principles seem to have developed a rather odd, 8 year repeating cycle... Get the President... Leave the President alone!.... Get the President.... Leave the President alone....
It appears you still haven't read the highlighted text.

Pathetic.
   124. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:26 AM (#5707595)
The President’s job is
difficult enough as is. And the country loses when the President’s
focus is distracted by the burdens of civil litigation or
criminal investigation and possible prosecution.

BTW - you cannot help but marvel at these sentences in the era of Donald Sonuvabitchin kneelers, look at my crowd size, enemy of the people fakenews, mexican blood taint, I have a better apartment than those elites, Roseanne is awesome, yada yada Trump.

It's perfectly and sublimely inverted. The burdens of the office distract THIS President from the only things he cares about.
   125. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:28 AM (#5707597)
It appears you still haven't read the highlighted text.

Sure I have.

Trump should be impeached.

I believe I've been clear enough on that even an addled cheetoh-dust freebaser like yourself should still be able to grok it.
   126. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:29 AM (#5707599)
This literally has not one ####### thing to do with what Kavanaugh said/wrote. It makes SBB comments look intelligent.
   127. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:31 AM (#5707601)
Except for the people who were terrorized by Trump's zero tolerance policies

"Terrorized," huh?

Andy can be so adorable even during his more ornery moments.

Sorry, I forgot that only Jews can be terrorized, not Latino parents and children who've been separated. Please forgive my oversight.
   128. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:33 AM (#5707602)

But there has to be a midway point between nothing and impeachment. Impeachment is a nuclear option, only for extreme cases.
   129. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5707606)
But there has to be a midway point between nothing and impeachment. Impeachment is a nuclear option, only for extreme cases.
Didn't we have a debate in 1998 about whether censure is a legitimate option?

But how is that a "midway point?" If a sitting POTUS commits a criminal act, particularly a felony, impeachment and removal proceedings don't seem all that over-the-top.
   130. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:44 AM (#5707612)

Didn't we have a debate in 1998 about whether censure is a legitimate option?

But how is that a "midway point?" If a sitting POTUS commits a criminal act, particularly a felony, impeachment and removal proceedings don't seem all that over-the-top.

Of course, if a President committed a felony, he should be impeached. But how do you determine it? You need to investigate his activities.

we
should not burden a sitting President with civil suits, criminal
investigations, or criminal prosecutions

But right here, it says he can't be criminally investigated. Unless I am reading that wrong.
   131. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5707614)

Kavanugh is likely to be confirmed with ~ 55 votes. Those hoping that he will be dirtied up by the hearing process will be disappointed.

Apparently there is a long paper trail, which will need to be vetted thoroughly, meticulously and in minute detail before any confirmation vote happens -- a lengthy process which I hope will take until Christmas.

Take that, McConnell...
   132. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5707615)
Well, there doesn't have to be. But please note that Kavanaugh did not say that a president shouldn't be sued or prosecuted; he said that it should be deferred until the president's term is over. So if the president did something really bad, then impeach him. If he did something bad but not impeachmentworthy, then put him on trial once his term ends. (I am describing Kavanaugh's proposal, not endorsing it.) But how many actual crimes are minor enough not to be impeachmentworthy?

Also, I just want to point out -- because many people don't bother to note these distinctions -- that Kavanaugh was talking about what the laws should be; he was not saying that these ideas are constitutionally required.

Of course, if a President committed a felony, he should be impeached. But how do you determine it? You need to investigate his activities.
You can investigate; you just can't investigate the president directly. That is, law enforcement does all the things they usually do -- talk to witnesses, gather forensic evidence, whatever -- but the president isn't questioned or subpoenaed. Also, if it's something impeachmentworthy, Congress can investigate.
   133. DavidFoss Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:50 AM (#5707616)
If that's what the zonks, Maddows, and Toobins are going to focus on, that only underlines how little ammo they've got aimed at Kavanaugh.

Nobody thinks Kavanaugh isn't going to be confirmed. Liberals will make a stink during the process for a number of reasons. They want to energize their voters, they don't want anyone to think they agree with that MN Law Review essay, etc, etc. That's all laying the groundwork for future battles, though. The Kavanaugh confirmation is a done deal. I don't know about zonk, but I'm sure Maddow & Toobin know that.
   134. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5707619)
Nobody thinks Kavanaugh isn't going to be confirmed. Liberals will make a stink during the process for a number of reasons. They want to energize their voters, they don't want anyone to think they agree with that MN Law Review essay, etc, etc. That's all laying the groundwork for future battles, though. The Kavanaugh confirmation is a done deal. I don't know about zonk, but I'm sure Maddow & Toobin know that.
And what happens if/when Kavanaugh receives more votes than Gorsuch? How will the base respond then?
   135. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5707620)

Is this your spine collapsing in real time, David?
   136. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5707622)
But there has to be a midway point between nothing and impeachment.

Impeachment is literally the least that should be done to Trump.
   137. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5707623)
I guess we should all just be thankful Trump didn't nominate Jeanine Pirro.
   138. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5707625)
And what happens if/when Kavanaugh receives more votes than Gorsuch? How will the base respond then?

A ####### nutjob winger with his head buried a foot up Tucker Carlson's ass lecturing others about "the base." #### off.
   139. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5707627)

Is this your spine collapsing in real time, David?
You are too much of a ##### to overthrow a homeowners' association, Sam. Pretending otherwise half-anonymously on BBTF doesn't mean you have a spine.
   140. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:08 AM (#5707628)
You are too much of a ##### to overthrow a homeowners' association, Sam. Pretending otherwise half-anonymously on BBTF doesn't mean you have a spine.

That's a yes, then. No one is shocked to see you capitulate. You always do.
   141. DavidFoss Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:10 AM (#5707630)

Who cares! Every vote after #50 (+Pence) is meaningless. The democratic base needs to be reminded that elections matter and that if they don't turn out in higher numbers that they'll get more of these types of appointments. That's what the stink during the confirmation hearing is about. They'll also have grill Kavanaugh on the MN essay as a signal that they haven't forgotten about all the Trump scandals and that Trump shouldn't think he's off the hook. That's what that part of the stink will be about. But the Republicans have enough votes, so he'll be confirmed. And if vulnerable Dems want to be votes 52 through 56, then the base won't care.
   142. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5707636)
They'll also have grill him on the MN essay as a signal that they haven't forgotten about all the Trump scandals and that Trump shouldn't think he's off the hook.
Fine, DF, but that's what folks like you said about the Gorsuch questioning. That didn't exactly produce any fireworks.
   143. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:24 AM (#5707642)

Who cares! Every vote after #50 (+Pence) is meaningless.

Right.

The democratic base needs to be reminded that elections matter and that if they don't turn out in higher numbers that they'll get more of these types of appointments. That's what the stink during the confirmation hearing is about.

Right again.

They'll also have grill him on the MN essay as a signal that they haven't forgotten about all the Trump scandals and that Trump shouldn't think he's off the hook. That's what that part of the stink will be about.

Right again. And here's just one more example: Former Driver Sues Trump for More Than 3,000 Hours of Overtime

But the Republicans have enough votes, so he'll be confirmed. And if vulnerable Dems want to be votes 52 through 56, then the base won't care.

Unfortunately the permanently stupid part of the base will care, just like they cared more about Hillary's Goldman Sachs speeches than they cared about the 100% foreseeable consequences of a Trump presidency. They still haven't figured out the difference between a Democrat who supports Trump 30% of the time and a Republican who supports him 100%.
   144. RMc Has Bizarre Ideas to Fix Baseball Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5707644)

The more the left screeches, the more Trump we all get. Swell. (Can't you guys do something that gives us less Trump, like nominating real candidates?)
   145. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:26 AM (#5707645)
The more the left screeches, the more Trump we all get. Swell.

The party responsible for Trump is the party that nominated and elected him. You ####### idiot.
   146. DavidFoss Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:32 AM (#5707648)
Fine, DF, but that's what folks like you said about the Gorsuch questioning. That didn't exactly produce any fireworks.

I'm not anticipating 'fireworks'. If Kavanaugh just watches tapes of the previous half-dozen hearings, he'll be fine.

But you know how these hearings go. People on the right will lavish praise on him and ask him what his favorite flavor of ice cream is. People on the left will ask him some tough questions and be politely annoyed when the answers are not candid. But at least those people will be on the record as having asked, so they can replay their questions if there are any problems later.
   147. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:34 AM (#5707651)
People on the right will lavish praise on him and ask him what his favorite flavor of ice cream is. People on the left will ask him some tough questions and be politely annoyed when the answers are not candid. But at least those people will be on the record as having asked, so they can replay their questions if there are any problems later.

Someone from the Dems should ask him questions like "Are you a dreamy super candidate, or are you the *dreamiest* super candidate?"
   148. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5707656)
But at least those people will be on the record as having asked, so they can replay their questions if there are any problems later.
The bigger challenge is that batshit craziness remarks from the MSM and liberal groups between now and the confirmation vote will result in even more members of your base will go full Sammy (hi, Misirlou!), thereby making Trump look pretty damn normal by comparison.
   149. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5707657)
The problem is that the batshit craziness of the MSM

It's his favorite #### to holster, boys.
   150. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5707662)
Someone should ask Kavanaugh if he thinks Vince Foster is running the child sex ring in the pizza shop.
   151. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5707663)
For those here who regularly mock the White House press office...

Alex Pappas:
When you pre-write your press release slamming Trump’s SCOTUS pick but forget to add the name....
   152. DavidFoss Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5707667)
The bigger challenge is that batshit craziness remarks from the MSM and liberal groups between now and the confirmation vote will result in even more members of your base will go full Sammy (hi, Misirlou!), thereby making Trump look pretty damn normal by comparison.

I wonder how this army of strawmen would fair against the terra cotta soldiers of Xian?

Most liberal groups are just going to imagine all the 5-4 votes where Kennedy sided with the left now going the other way. That's enough for them to get upset about.
   153. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM (#5707668)

I think I have been pretty clear that I know that. He'll be confirmed. I said so at the top of the page, I said so a few weeks back when Kennedy made his announcement.

I simply wish to make the process as long, ugly, points-scoring, grandstanding, and bitter as possible and I very much plan to make my own contributions, as small and inconsequential though they may be, to that.

Why Trump opponents playing by Trump rules in the Trump era continues to be such a controversial thing is quite beyond my comprehension.
   154. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM (#5707670)
Behold, Jeffrey Toobin, CNN's no. 1 judicial talking head...

CNN Legal Analyst: Framers Never Envisioned Supreme Court Justices Living Past Their 50s

I'm pretty sure all of the Founding Fathers, save Hamilton (who died in a duel with Burr), lived beyond their 50s but hey, ┐(ツ)┌.
   155. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM (#5707671)
Most liberal groups are just going to imagine all the 5-4 votes where Kennedy sided with the left now going the other way. That's enough for them to get upset about

When he concern trolls like this, he's self-rationalizing his own capitulation to fascism.
   156. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5707672)
Well, he sure showed us...

One night, after Miller ordered $80 of takeout sushi from a restaurant near his apartment, a bartender followed him into the street and shouted, “Stephen!” When Miller turned around, the bartender raised both middle fingers and cursed at him, according to an account Miller has shared with White House colleagues.

Outraged, Miller threw the sushi away, he later told his colleagues.

This account — which, again, comes from Miller himself — shows a high-level presidential adviser responding to a completely nonviolent and nonthreatening gesture by throwing away his own food. The story does not explain why throwing away his own sushi in any way advanced his cause.

I am cut! The wound...! SO, so deep...

EDIT: $80 for sushi? Was it GOLD fish?
   157. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5707673)
Why Trump opponents playing by Trump rules in the Trump era continues to be such a controversial thing is quite beyond my comprehension.
Oh right, they should follow your heroic lead and hurriedly pack a duffel bag and flee the country for 16-18 months.
   158. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5707674)
He should sack up and block posts from people who say mean, hurty things. JUANABOUT his feelings?
   159. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5707675)
Oh right, they should follow your heroic lead and hurriedly pack a duffel bag and flee the country for 16-18 months.

How's your DIY concentration camps for children coming along, Jason?
   160. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5707676)
Um, hello? Why wouldn't he discard the sushi in such a situation?
   161. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5707679)

If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.

Although, I must admit - the thought that just putting a big red R on my back and having the likes of you and people like you grovel to my whims is tempting.
   162. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:59 AM (#5707680)
Why wouldn't he discard the sushi in such a situation?

Because he's already paid for it, you ####### idiot.
   163. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: July 10, 2018 at 11:59 AM (#5707681)
I was curious -- the founding Supreme Court justices died at 83 (Jay), 78 (Cushing), 68 (Blair), 60 (Rutledge), and 55 (Wilson).

EDIT: 70 was forever considered the natural span of a human life, from the Psalms at least through to A.E. Houseman. I suspect this was what the Founders expected, if they spent any time worrying about it.

EDIT EDIT: The other three justices who served on the Jay court died at 48 (Iredell), 86 (Johnson), and 60 (Paterson).
   164. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5707682)

Oh yeah...toss 80 bucks down the toilet to make a point. Brilliant. :eyeroll:

EDIT: drink up, Sam.
   165. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:01 PM (#5707683)
BTW -

The Jim Jordan count is now up to nine... One more and we can apply the stylesheet to use digits instead of spelled out numbers!
   166. Smitty* Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5707686)
Why wouldn't he discard the sushi in such a situation?

Because he's already paid for it, you ####### idiot.

I would definitely not eat food from a place in which someone who worked there just followed me out to give me the finger. Not because I was making a statement but because I would not trust the food.
   167. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5707687)

Oh yeah...toss 80 bucks down the toilet to make a point.

Perhaps he was reminded that sushi is globalist cuisine indulged by elitists, not rock-ribbed men of the people like himself and his fellow Trumpholsters. I'm sure he marched right over to the nearest NYC food cart and, after carefully confirming that it wasn't one of those terrorist halal carts, purchased a good old-fashioned American pretzel.
   168. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5707688)
I would definitely not eat food from a place in which someone who worked there just followed me out to give me the finger. Not because I was making a statement but because I would not trust the food.
Bingo.
   169. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:08 PM (#5707689)
I hope someone reminds Waffen-Miller how many ICE raids hit places like meatpacking plants...

It will be fun when he rings Michelle Obama and begs her to help him start his own garden.
   170. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:16 PM (#5707691)

Bingo.

Reap what you sow, then.
   171. . . . . . . Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:17 PM (#5707692)
EDIT: $80 for sushi? Was it GOLD fish?

FWIW, I hit that (and then some) when I order good sushi for 1. But the real question is why you'd piss that away on takeout sushi, which is ruined anyways by the time you eat it.
   172. dlf Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:18 PM (#5707694)

I'll admit to not following the story that closely, but no where that I've seen has reported on the key issue: was the one-finger saluting bartender wearing pants?
   173. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:19 PM (#5707695)
I know some good sushi places in NYC but I only order omakase because, well, they're good sushi places. As 171 notes, getting quality sushi for takeout seems like a mug's game.
   174. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:19 PM (#5707697)
I'll admit to not following the story that closely, but no where that I've seen has reported on the key issue: was the one-finger saluting bartender wearing pants?

It was a sushi restaurant, not the Weenie Hut.
   175. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM (#5707699)
The bigger challenge is that batshit craziness remarks from the MSM

Says the man who regularly links approvingly to Fox News, The Daily Caller, National Review and The Washington Examiner.
   176. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM (#5707701)
I don't want to spoil the fun - but I just want to remind everyone that we all took that blood oath never to reveal those secret signals, codes and markings our coalition of liberal elites, immigrants, womyn, millennials, etc painstakingly worked out to adulterate Trumpkin food and goods.

177. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM (#5707706)
I don't want to spoil the fun - but I just want to remind everyone that we all took that blood oath never to reveal those secret signals, codes and markings our coalition of liberal elites, immigrants, womyn, millennials, etc painstakingly worked out to adulterate Trumpkin food and goods.

You make a joke, but it wouldn't shock me if Stephen Cohn Goebbles Miller actually believes this exists.

178. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5707708)
Throw in some vegetables, that'll really piss 'em off. "Michelle Obama sends her regards."
   179. Smitty* Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:30 PM (#5707710)

This is why I am familiar with being flipped off while exiting restaurants. The damn sign said "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service", tell me where the hell does it say anything about pants!!
   180. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5707713)
You make a joke, but it wouldn't shock me if Stephen Cohn Goebbles Miller actually believes this exists.

Correct.

I made a joke.

It's not really true.

Seriously. There is no such thing. I promise. Made it all up. As a peace offering, Trumpkins please send me your address and favorite takeout -- dinner is on me tonight. I know lots of great places I'm sure you'll love.

181. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5707715)
Reap what you sow, then.
If you want to spend the next three years in prison, tough guy, spit away.
   182. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM (#5707717)
Ha, spit... how quaint.
   183. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM (#5707718)
Says the man who regularly links approvingly to Fox News, The Daily Caller, National Review and The Washington Examiner.
If you want to find substantive fault with an article or column I post form those publications or others, feel free to fire away. Otherwise, your comment is substance-free and just plain sad.
   184. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM (#5707719)

I very much doubt that those unable or unwilling to even accurately describe Kavanugh's law review article will be able to make effective use of it to hinder his confirmation. In the 2009 article, Kavanugh called for Congress to enact a statute providing that personal civil suits, and possibly criminal cases, against presidents to be deferred until they have left office, similar to what the Soldiers & Sailors Relief Act provides for the military in some cases. It clearly stated that in the absence of such a statute, the Jones case was correctly decided. So, a legislative fix that essentially adopts what Clinton advocated without legislation is somehow a problem?
   185. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:37 PM (#5707724)
I very much doubt that those unable or unwilling to even accurately describe Kavanugh's law review article will be able to make effective use of it to hinder his confirmation.

Welp, I am fresh out of ways to describe my intentions.

Does anyone speak Clapper?
   186. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5707725)
If you want to spend the next three years in prison, tough guy, spit away.

Going by the date on the article, the chef just got out a month & a half ago.
   187. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:40 PM (#5707728)

Now he makes Taco Bowls at Trump Tower...

And now you know.... the rrrressst of the story!
   188. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:43 PM (#5707735)
You seemed to think it's ok to spit in a customer's food if you don't care for his/her politics. Care to clarify?
   189. Shredder Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5707737)
I would trust the food more if they walked out to give me the finger than if they just let me leave without telling me how much they hated me. If I were Miller, well, first I'd probably kill myself, but failing that, I would be cooking a lot of my own meals for the foreseeable future, or at least going the Pruitt route and overusing the White House cafeteria.
   190. Smitty* Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5707738)

I wonder if he's a bartender now?
   191. Smitty* Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:45 PM (#5707740)
I would trust the food more if they walked out to give me the finger than if they just let me leave without telling me how much they hated me.

True, but you don't know they hate you if they don't tell you.
   192. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:46 PM (#5707741)
I think I have been pretty clear that I know that. He'll be confirmed. I said so at the top of the page, I said so a few weeks back when Kennedy made his announcement. I simply wish to make the process as long, ugly, points-scoring, grandstanding, and bitter as possible and I very much plan to make my own contributions, as small and inconsequential though they may be, to that.

Worth remembering that appointees of any future Democratic Presidents will have to live with the rules of the road imposed here. There isn't going to a walk-in-the-park confirmation process for Democrats while GOP nominees run a gauntlet. Those who lament that the Senate structurally tilts toward the GOP because of the profusion of Red States, should be wary of making party line votes based on nominees' ideology, not qualifications, the norm.
   193. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5707743)

You seemed to think it's ok to spit in a customer's food if you don't care for his/her politics. Care to clarify?

I wasn't saying that at all. What I was saying was that when you make no bones about your distaste for certain races/classes/ethnic groups, you open yourself up to some backlash.

IOW, don't say stupid, racist #### in public and you won't get flipped off, or feel the need to worry about or question the provenance of your evening repast.
   194. Shredder Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5707745)
True, but you don't know they hate you if they don't tell you.
Sure, but if you're Stephen Miller, well, first you should kill yourself, but failing that, chances are pretty good that about 95% of the people you run into hate your guts. Maybe he can hire an immigrant to taste his food for him. They can add one to the list of new hires at Mar-A-Lago.
   195. Zonk did it for the children of Russia Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:50 PM (#5707747)
Worth remembering that appointees of any future Democratic Presidents will have to live with the rules of the road imposed here.

Also worth remembering that Presidential rules of the road will apply to more than just appointees.
   196. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5707750)

"People shouldn't act that way. Hey, look at me, I'm acting that way! Wheeeeeee!"
   197. Stormy JE Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5707751)
I wasn't saying that at all. What I was saying was that when you make no bones about your distaste for certain races/classes/ethnic groups, you open yourself up to some backlash.

IOW, don't say stupid, racist #### in public and you won't get flipped off, or feel the need to worry about or question the provenance of your evening repast.
But you do get that Miller had reason to suspect his food was tainted?

And what "stupid, racist #### in public" did Miller say?
   198. Srul Itza Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:56 PM (#5707754)
If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.

Mo Udall had the better, and more apt here, take on this:

"If nominated, I will run to Mexico. If elected, I will fight extradition."
   199. Smitty* Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5707755)
Sure, but if you're Stephen Miller, well, first you should kill yourself, but failing that, chances are pretty good that about 95% of the people you run into hate your guts.

I delivered pizza's back in my pants wearing teenage days (well at least when I delivered pizza's I wore pants) and the place I worked at had a teacher that everyone hated who ordered all the time. I just pretended I did not recognize him when I delivered and he never acknowledged me. After I quit the job someone suggested that I could have made money if I took donations to do something to the pizza. Definitely would have made more than he tipped.
   200. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 10, 2018 at 12:59 PM (#5707756)
Flip
Page 2 of 11 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.