Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 09, 2018

OTP 2018 July 9: Why It’s Hard to ‘Stick to Sports’

A quote attributed to the late U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren reads: “I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people’s accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man’s failures.”

But even in Warren’s lifetime, the sports page was full of things that moved outside the realm of sports accomplishments into the political world of page one: Jackie Robinson breaking the baseball color line, Muhammad Ali’s successful fight to overturn his criminal conviction for refusing military service in the Vietnam War, Tommie Smith and John Carlos’ black power salute from the victory stand of the 1968 Summer Olympics, the enactment of Title IX to expand opportunity for girls in sports, and Curt Flood’s lawsuit to break baseball’s reserve clause.

The mix of politics and sports wasn’t unique to Warren’s time. The two worlds have never been, never were, and never will be as separate as many imagine or would like them to be. Sports isn’t immune from capital-P political oversight and opinions, which grow out of the small-p politics about how we as people organize our lives and societies. In other words, angrily telling sports media figures and athletes themselves to “stick to sports”—a popular demand these days when sports and politics mix on social media—is an impossible ask.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 09, 2018 at 08:02 AM | 1010 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 10 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 > 
   901. Howie Menckel Posted: July 14, 2018 at 10:22 PM (#5710021)
flip-pant
   902. Lassus Posted: July 14, 2018 at 10:23 PM (#5710022)
Spend the next two years saying a bunch of weird, deranged #### every single day and make it more weird and deranged as the two years progress.

Have you heard about the pedophile pizza ring on Mars? Given a pass by our African President?
   903. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 14, 2018 at 11:13 PM (#5710037)
Have you heard about the pedophile pizza ring on Mars? Given a pass by our African President?

Don't really know where one had to go to find proponents of that nonsense, but it wasn't pushed by anyone here. In contrast, Team Blue has touted just about every TDS conspiracy theory in this very thread. Have you heard the one about the 82-year old guy forced to retire because his son worked in a bank a decade ago?
   904. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: July 14, 2018 at 11:47 PM (#5710067)
@oliverdarcy
In light of the Mueller indictments, I called @newtgingrich to see if he would like to apologize to the Seth Rich family for peddling the conspiracy theory that Rich was killed for supposedly leaking the DNC docs to Wikileaks.

"No. Goodbye!" Gingrich told me before hanging up.

I also reached out to Fox News PR earlier today to see, in light of the Mueller indictments, whether @seanhannity is still conducting his investigation into Seth Rich. No reply.

@resisterhood
Something was bugging me about the September '16 hack of the DNC analytics (beyond that it would give an opponent much of what they'd need to figure out who to target & with what).

What was it? A couple weeks later, the Trump campaign abruptly & massively shifted their ad buys.

@walshfreedom
I'm a Conservative. When I was in Congress, I was one of it's most conservative Members.

But dammit, I'm an American first. And I'm furious that Russia screwed with our election. I'm furious that Russia attacked us.

And I'm really furious that our President doesn't give a damn.
   905. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 14, 2018 at 11:51 PM (#5710069)

Don't really know where one had to go to find proponents of that nonsense, but it wasn't pushed by anyone here.

No, Clapper, all you do is to continue to support a racist president who spouted birtherism for many years and continues to lie about half a dozen times a day, inventing a new wacko bird conspiracy every time he sits down to tweet.

Yeah, you guys are the sane ones, for sure.
   906. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 12:09 AM (#5710078)
Earth to TDSers: Strzok was banished to HR for significant professional misconduct related to the two major investigations at issue. By an objective investigative office headed by an Obama appointee. Valorizing him and pretending there's no Congressional role in holding the bureau accountable makes you look ridiculous. We all know he was an early by-any-means-necessary-er, making his actions somehow therefore "heroic" in your eyes, but sane people don't take such things seriously. Your by-any-means-necessary perspective is un-American to its core.

Right. Those inflicted with TDS can claim -- validly since there's no proof otherwise -- that Strzok didn't act on his bias. They can claim, bizarrely so, that there's nothing remarkable about his texts. They can claim, insanely so, that appearance of impropriety isn't a thing.

But what takes the cake is them propping him up as some sort of purple heart hero. How could he be, and for what reason? He was an incompetent FBI agent. He compromised the integrity of the investigations he was working on. This isn't about mere "bias" -- it's about his utter lack of professionalism, which caused him to be removed from the investigations he was working on, and call into question whether his decisions were made for appropriate reasons. He gave Trump and his supporters a reason to be dismissive of both the Hillary investigation and the Trump one.

On what planet is he a hero? This shows that people simply aren't thinking rationally.
   907. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: July 15, 2018 at 12:27 AM (#5710087)
On what planet is he a hero? This shows that people simply aren't thinking rationally.
Who has called him a hero?

Anyway, in other news, Mueller has been fired!
   908. greenback made it work, honey Posted: July 15, 2018 at 12:44 AM (#5710096)
The California Democratic Party just endorsed somebody besides Dianne Feinstein for its US Senate seat. The LA Times seems to think liberals have become weary of pragmatism, which doesn't seem quite so pragmatic given the GOP's control of the federal government and most state governments. But I'm assuming it's because the party just realized that she has two n's in her first name, which makes her a mirror version of Michele Bachmann.

Certain posters here will note that Feinstein has chosen not to retire even though she is 85 years old.
   909. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 15, 2018 at 12:51 AM (#5710097)
Certain posters here will note that Feinstein has chosen not to retire even though she is 85 years old.

Clapper will be happy to tell us she is the oldest Senator. What he won't tell you is that the next 5 and 7 of the next 8 oldest are Republicans.
   910. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 15, 2018 at 01:14 AM (#5710106)
Clapper will be happy to tell us she is the oldest Senator. What he won't tell you is that the next 5 oldest are Republicans.

Unlike Feinstein, none of those GOP Senators are seeking a new 6-year term, and one (Hatch) is retiring.

What's a bit surprising about the rejection of Feinstein was the margin. De León got 65% of the vote from the Party's 300+ member executive board, compared to just 7% for Feinstein and 28% favoring no endorsement. Feinstein won the top-two primary handily, 44%-12%, and leads in the polls by ~ 20%, but she may be a bit worried the endorsement could give De León some traction. She probably still wins, but is likely to track left until the general election. That probably further delays any compromise on the 9th Circuit vacancies from California, some of which are longstanding, but its probably too late to get anyone confirmed in this Congress anyway.
   911. Dale Sams Posted: July 15, 2018 at 01:40 AM (#5710114)
And I'm furious that Russia screwed with our election. I'm furious that Russia attacked us.

Something something petard something shocked gambling.
   912. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 15, 2018 at 02:13 AM (#5710119)
And I'm furious that Russia screwed with our election. I'm furious that Russia attacked us.
A lot of self-proclaimed conservatives are going out of their way to (1) say how conservative they are, (2) say they're mad about what's going on, and (3) not doing jack about it. (3) makes (2) worthless pablum — sort of like
"(*) Don't get me wrong, the hackers should be prosecuted.."
   913. zenbitz Posted: July 15, 2018 at 03:47 AM (#5710123)
Been hanging out with my 4th, 5th, 6ths cousins (all if whom can trace back) and it's a striking lesson in assortive mating.

Almost all engineers/lawyers/psychologists going back 5 generations.

Same as my mother's family, which is unrelated by blood.
   914. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:00 AM (#5710129)
He gave Trump and his supporters a reason to be dismissive of both the Hillary investigation and the Trump one.

"Trump and his supporters" are stupid, hysterical dimwits who believe a whole host of demonstrably false and ignorant claims and have proven themselves immune to incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

So spare us your airy concern trolling over a man's private communications with his mistress. Little Lord, you're not to be trusted.
   915. perros Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:09 AM (#5710130)
Same as my mother's family, which is unrelated by blood.

No criss-crosses at all amongst the cousins?
   916. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:12 AM (#5710131)
Instead of asking Trump "What is your goal in meeting with Putin?" Glor should have flat out asked him "Do you plan on discussing real estate deals with Putin?"
   917. perros Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:19 AM (#5710132)
Something something petard something shocked gambling.

The pantomime bugs me as Trump is an expert at it, his detractors mere imitators.

People should read the NSA stories from NYT I linked last page, as they give you a picture of consistently practiced skulduggery by all national actors, the US in the forefront.... Until now, when we've lost our competitive edge, lost our secrets, and are being undone by the unregulated capitalism long unleashed upon the third world.

The chickens coming home to roost ain't gonna be pretty.
   918. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:28 AM (#5710133)
Ennui. Not even once, mon frere.
   919. -- Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:43 AM (#5710134)
I'm furious that Russia attacked us.

Hacking a few party computers. Yep, a regular Pearl Harbor or Operation Barbarossa it was.
   920. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:46 AM (#5710135)
Hacking a few party computers. Yep, a regular Pearl Harbor or Operation Barbarossa it was.

Give a hacker all your passwords and you'll see how much damage can be done.
   921. -- Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:51 AM (#5710136)
"Trump and his supporters" are stupid, hysterical dimwits

You mean ... as opposed to you?

Have you read any of the material of you and yours? Take a peek.
   922. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:52 AM (#5710137)
But what takes the cake is them propping him up as some sort of purple heart hero. How could he be, and for what reason? He was an incompetent FBI agent. He compromised the integrity of the investigations he was working on. This isn't about mere "bias" -- it's about his utter lack of professionalism, which caused him to be removed from the investigations he was working on, and call into question whether his decisions were made for appropriate reasons.

Nobody's said Strzok was a "hero", but you can bet that a lot of intelligence professionals admired the way he stood up to Trey Gowdy's clown show.

He gave Trump and his supporters a reason to be dismissive of both the Hillary investigation and the Trump one.

Trump's supporters need no "reasons" for their dismissiveness of those investigations other than their blind worship of their master. The only way they'd change their minds would be if Trump apologized for his lifelong racism and started welcoming immigrants.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of self-proclaimed conservatives are going out of their way to (1) say how conservative they are, (2) say they're mad about what's going on, and (3) not doing jack about it. (3) makes (2) worthless pablum

Sounds exactly like 99% of the former "#NeverTrumps" we run across, both here and elsewhere. Like JE,** they sprinkle themselves with holy water and then proceed to wash down their meals with water from the toilet.

** Clapper doesn't even make any pretense of tut-tutting. He just reads straight from the RNC teleprompter like a steam calliope programmed by Stephen Miller.
   923. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 15, 2018 at 08:10 AM (#5710139)
You mean ... as opposed to you?

Have you read any of the material of you and yours? Take a peek.

The old "I know you are but what am I" defense. Brilliant!
   924. perros Posted: July 15, 2018 at 08:46 AM (#5710144)
California’s greatness comes from acts of human audacity, not congressional seniority,” Mr. de León said.
   925. Lassus Posted: July 15, 2018 at 08:55 AM (#5710147)
Don't really know where one had to go to find proponents of that nonsense

The current President, your party's leader, contended our President was African.
   926. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 08:58 AM (#5710148)
And that vaccines cause autism.
   927. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 09:01 AM (#5710149)
And that global warming is an international scientific conspiracy.
   928. perros Posted: July 15, 2018 at 09:02 AM (#5710150)

Trump's supporters need no "reasons" for their dismissiveness of those investigations other than their blind worship of their master. The only way they'd change their minds would be if Trump apologized for his lifelong racism and started welcoming immigrants.

Unlike the Deporter-in-Chief?

In his first two years, newly appointed Director of the Office of Homeland Security Tom Ridge expanded the purview of his department to include an immigration enforcement plan that sought to achieve a “100% removal rate” of the undocumented population in the United States by seeing to the drafting of a document that came to shape the next 15 years, “ENDGAME Office of Detention and Removal Strategic Plan.” At the time, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (later broken up into the Citizenship and Immigration Services, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and Customs and Border Protection) had approximately 26,000 agents and $4.9 billion. It was an enormous leap from when ICE was previously housed within Department of Justice but nothing like what it grew to be today.

Instead of reversing that architecture and disavowing that plan, President Obama turbocharged it. To pay for the ballooning enforcement-first approach, the budget for immigration enforcement grew 300 percent from the resources given at the time of its founding under Bush to $18 billion annually, more than all other federal law-enforcement agencies’ budget combined.

Before the end of his first term in office, the Obama administration had taken a small program developed in George W. Bush’s last days that aimed to turn local police into “force multipliers” and expanded it by about 3,600 percent. The Secure Communities program that DHS Secretary Jeh Charles Johnson described as causing “hostility to enforcement of immigration laws” existed in only 14 counties under Bush, but by the end of 2009 it spread to 88 counties. By 2013, it was active in all 3,181 US jurisdictions. It was eventually scrapped in 2014 and replaced with a rebranded Priority Enforcement Program.

As record numbers of people were being deported, an increasing number were also charged and channeled into federal prison before their expulsion. Within two years of coming into office, President Obama doubled the number of people being prosecuted for reentry by expanding Bush’s border-court system, Operation Streamline, which tries up to 70 people per day in a cattle line of sentences. The experiment went from three jurisdictions in 2008 to every single border sector except California by 2010. From the time of its invention in 2005 to just four years later in 2009, Streamline sent over 209,000 individuals to serve federal prison sentences for no reason other than crossing the border.

This is why Racism vs. White Supremacy is no academic matter, as a bi-racial President left Trump "the most sophisticated and well-funded human-expulsion machine in the history of the country."

A phalanx of multicultural good cops and liberal supporters of our police state can do far more to support white supremacy in blind worship of their hero than all the Trumpsters in the world.
   929. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 09:07 AM (#5710151)
That doesn't sound like Open Borders Obama.
   930. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5710155)
Ask Putin to extradite hackers? “Huh, never thought about it.”

“Well, I might,” Trump said when asked during an interview with CBS News about extraditing the indicted intelligence agents. “I hadn’t thought of that.”

Well that’s because you’re an idiot Donnie. Like your followers on this very forum and elsewhere.

“But again, this was during the Obama administration. They were doing whatever it was during the Obama administration.”

I don’t even know what his point is here. That Obama should ask Putin to extradite his GRU hackers, not him?
   931. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 15, 2018 at 12:32 PM (#5710236)
Well that’s because you’re an idiot Donnie.

Maybe. I think it's more that he thinks he can get away with collusion, just because he's president. He's playing Mickey the Dunce about Russia's involvement in the 2016 election, and all the while he's been helping Putin (attacking our NATO allies, refusing to sanction, etc). It's quite possible that he has a quid quo pro with Putin that involves real estate. It's possible that Putin has dirt on Trump and is blackmailing him.

Why else would Trump have wanted to be president? Because he's a known altruist? Something has to be in it for him and his, otherwise, he'd have had no reason to run. For much of his life he was seen as pro choice, a supporter of single payer health care, and now, all of a sudden he's a fascist who wants women who get abortions punished, and is hell bent on dismantling Obamacare (and not to replace it with anything closer to single payer)? He's made a deal with the devils in this country (the GOP) and abroad, for his own personal enrichment.
   932. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 15, 2018 at 12:35 PM (#5710237)
I don’t even know what his point is here.

There was a Tweet that read "Obama should have stopped me from committing crimes!" that I found funny, sad, and an accurate interpretation of Trump's idiotic ramblings on the subject. Classic misdirection, and guess who falls for it? All the Dancing Monkeys of the world.
   933. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: July 15, 2018 at 12:42 PM (#5710241)
@ddale8
Trump keeps lying about *where his father was born.* In this interview: “Don’t forget both my parents were born in EU sectors, OK? I mean my mother was Scotland, my father was Germany.” His father was born in New York City.
   934. perros Posted: July 15, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5710244)
I don't doubt several different parties have their hooks in, but Trump fiercely enjoys all the attention.
   935. perros Posted: July 15, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5710246)
His father was born in New York City.

Sure it wasn't Patagonia?
   936. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 15, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5710260)
Ray, #906:
But what takes the cake is ["those inflicted with TDS"] propping [Strzok] up as some sort of purple heart hero. How could he be, and for what reason? ...On what planet is he a hero? This shows that people simply aren't thinking rationally.

Binary thinking strikes again. The GOP House belligerently and deceitfully abused Strzok as a conniving, uncooperative villain. So, since the opposite of villain is hero, that means that anyone identifying the GOP House assholes and hypocrites MUST also believe that Strzok is a hero.

The characterization of Them is funnier when you combine it with Ray's last 400 self-evaluations of neutrality and clear thought.

#906 cont:

Ah, yes. If only Strzok hadn't ever been born, Trump and his supporters never would have attacked the Mueller investigation like this. It was that darned Strzok who created their response, and gave it the level of credibility it enjoys.

Now THAT'S the kind of thought a non-TDS sufferer has, when thinking rationally.
   937. greenback made it work, honey Posted: July 15, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5710271)
Regarding Trump's tweets this morning:
Pwn All The Things
‏ @pwnallthethings
Replying to @RadioFreeTom

It's sort of analytically interesting that whoever wrote this was putting in things like "great city of Moscow". They actively revel in being called Russian stooges, and do things like this to rile up opponents, feeding off the negative press. Fascinating in its own perverse way.

This sounds accurate. And weird.
   938. zenbitz Posted: July 15, 2018 at 02:09 PM (#5710272)
No criss-crosses at all amongst the cousins?

Ha ha, there are a couple crosses in the tree but those lines died out.
   939. -- Posted: July 15, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5710280)
Trump keeps lying about *where his father was born.* In this interview: “Don’t forget both my parents were born in EU sectors, OK? I mean my mother was Scotland, my father was Germany.” His father was born in New York City.

So he's a birther even about his own father.

Shocking.
   940. -- Posted: July 15, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5710286)
The GOP House belligerently and deceitfully abused Strzok as a conniving, uncooperative villain. So, since the opposite of villain is hero, that means that anyone identifying the GOP House ######## and hypocrites MUST also believe that Strzok is a hero.

You're doing that thing again where you blame Republicans for making you and yours say silly and deranged stuff.

It doesn't matter if the Republicans brought him up to the House and made him publicly write "My uncle molests collies" on a blackboard 1,000 times; he was still banished to HR for significant professional misconduct and is likely to be cited for additional significant professional misconduct when the IG finishes its investigation of RUSSIA! RUSSIA!

But by-any-means-necessary gonna by-any-means-necessary. That's pretty much a given at this point.
   941. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 15, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5710287)
L'idiote Orange: "The EU is our foe. Putin is a competitor."
   942. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 15, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5710288)
You're doing that thing again where you blame Republicans for making you and yours say silly and deranged stuff.

It doesn't matter if the Republicans brought him up to the House and made him publicly write "My uncle molests collies" on a blackboard 1,000 times; he was still banished to HR for significant professional misconduct and is likely to be cited for additional significant professional misconduct when the IG finishes its investigation of RUSSIA! RUSSIA!

But by-any-means-necessary gonna by-any-means-necessary. That's pretty much a given at this point.

You're either dishonest or stupid with this post. You pick.
   943. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5710289)
Hey it worked for Johnny Cochran an he was a real lawyer.
   944. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: July 15, 2018 at 04:16 PM (#5710305)
Mueller indictments are like Trumpkin ####### pheromones.

Those dudes really go into heat when Bob drops another bundle.

Brisk business for manhattan carpet cleaners at least.
   945. greenback made it work, honey Posted: July 15, 2018 at 04:59 PM (#5710311)
Sacha Baron Cohen somehow is at it again.
   946. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: July 15, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5710317)
The Cardi B pathways to the Wiz Khalifa?
   947. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 15, 2018 at 05:31 PM (#5710322)
Sacha Baron Cohen somehow is at it again.

Please someone tell me that the people Cohen interviews are just actors. This is one of the funniest videos I've ever seen, even if in some ways it's one of the scariest. Hard to believe any of these people can fall for his act, but I guess his "Israeli" persona gives him such instant credibility with the gun nut crowd that he's impossible to resist. The video within the video that promotes animal figure guns for 4 year olds** is one that's going to make the creators of The Simpsons green with envy that they hadn't thought of it first.

** "Puppy Pistol", "Gunny Rabbit", Uzicorn", "BFF (Best Firearms Forever)", etc.
   948. greenback made it work, honey Posted: July 15, 2018 at 05:44 PM (#5710325)
No, they're not actors. Philip Van Cleave and Larry Pratt have significant roles in the gun lobby. Apparently SBC put a script in front of Walsh, and he just read from it, or at least that's his defense.
   949. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 15, 2018 at 05:56 PM (#5710330)
Please someone tell me that the people Cohen interviews are just actors.

I can't speak to the lobbyists, but that was undoubtably Trent Lott, Dana Rhorbacher, and Matt Gaetz. But I'm puzzled as to why they participated. They had to know it was a spoof mocking gun rights. I mean, even the nuttiest of gun nuts don't want to arm pre-schoolers.
   950. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 06:08 PM (#5710333)
The GOP House belligerently and deceitfully abused Strzok as a conniving, uncooperative villain.

He is a complete joke as a professional and he compromised the integrity of the investigations he was working on. He did that himself.

Imagine if you will -- let's go against David's Rule Against Hypotheticals Nothing Is Predictable for a moment -- if it turned out that Mueller had engaged in similar behavior, sending such texts and having such conversations with a mistress. How would Mueller's investigation have looked then? Appearance seems to be important to you folks -- you keep claiming that Mueller Doesn't Leak so integrity must be something you value, when it's on your side.
   951. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 15, 2018 at 06:10 PM (#5710334)
They had to know it was a spoof mocking gun rights.

I don't think so. They are crazy and without scruples. We've known that for years.
   952. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 06:13 PM (#5710336)

You're imagining things again.

No "Trumpkins" gives a rat's ass about indictments that have nothing to do with collusion, which is what you and yours -- and David -- sold out on.
   953. perros Posted: July 15, 2018 at 06:28 PM (#5710342)
They are crazy and without scruples.

YES.

Roxanne Dunbar Ortiz takes down gun culture
   954. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 15, 2018 at 06:49 PM (#5710345)

You're imagining things again.

No "Trumpkins" gives a rat's ass about indictments that have nothing to do with collusion,

Yes, and that's why the HTIC** reacts to them with such studied calmness!

** Head Trumpkin In Charge
   955. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 15, 2018 at 06:50 PM (#5710347)
No "Trumpkins" gives a rat's ass about indictments that have nothing to do with collusion, which is what you and yours -- and David -- sold out on.

This is Ray coming out of the closet. Bravo, Ray, you idiot.
   956. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 06:52 PM (#5710348)
** Head Trumpkin In Charge

Seems redundant.
   957. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:07 PM (#5710355)
Trumpkins, like their dear leader, are functionally traitors. They deserve a traitors justice. Nothing more. Nothing less.
   958. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:08 PM (#5710358)
Redundant? Idk.... Trump is the head Trumpkin, but Putin is in charge.
   959. perros Posted: July 15, 2018 at 07:45 PM (#5710371)
Some of you could pass for John Birchers.
   960. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 15, 2018 at 08:10 PM (#5710374)
Possible new grounds for opposing confirmation of a Supreme Court nominee? Kavanaugh's Collegial Nature Could Change Supreme Court's Tenor:
Over 12 years on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Judge Kavanaugh has built “a very good reputation for working with people across ideological lines,” Mr. Epps says, and the clerks he has sent to the Supreme Court have been hired by justices of every ideological bent.

Last term alone, former Kavanaugh clerks worked for Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Kennedy, Samuel Alito and Elena Kagan. Justices Stephen Breyer and Neil Gorsuch each have hired a Kavanaugh clerk for the new term that begins in October.

In several recent years Judge Kavanaugh has joined with Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and other Democratic appointees for mock trials staged by Washington’s Shakespeare Theatre Company.
. . .
Should he join the Supreme Court, Judge Kavanaugh “already has built-in relationships. He’s a voice the justices are going to be primed to listen to,” said Luke McCloud, a lawyer at Williams & Connolly LLP who clerked for Judge Kavanaugh before clerking for Justice Sonia Sotomayor.

Mr. McCloud said that on the D.C. Circuit, Judge Kavanaugh “always tried to take his colleagues’ views into account even when he disagreed with them.”

I doubt the anti-collegial camp will take this lying down.
   961. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 15, 2018 at 08:15 PM (#5710376)

You're not funny. Russia is no longer a leftist nation, and you know it, so cut the crap.
   962. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 15, 2018 at 08:16 PM (#5710377)
Another week with Clapper still wasting oxygen a useful human could breathe. Sad.
   963. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 15, 2018 at 09:08 PM (#5710383)

Another week with Clapper still wasting oxygen a useful human could breathe. Sad.

Poor pathetic Sam, still lacking the self-awareness to see how poorly he is doing here.
   964. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 15, 2018 at 09:13 PM (#5710384)
You think I’m worried about how I’m “doing” with you, #########?
   965. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 15, 2018 at 09:56 PM (#5710388)

You're not funny. Russia is no longer a leftist nation, and you know it, so cut the crap.

Indeed. It's hardly a secret that authoritarians and ethno-nationalists all over the world are every bit as much in love with Putin and they are with Trump, and often even more so.

Branding Putin: How the Kremlin turned the Russian president into a global icon
In Halle, Germany, a right-wing activist and printing entrepreneur named Sven Liebich has sold thousands of Putin T-shirts, the most popular one featuring a smirking, sunglasses-wearing Russian president, his head Photoshopped onto a muscular, tattooed torso, giving the viewer the finger.

“It’s about the hope for change,” Liebich said, explaining the draw of his top seller. “Perhaps, really, the yearning for a savior or a liberator.”

On Mutanabbi Street in Baghdad, lined with bookshops and sidewalk vendors, Nouri al-Sultan, 73, said he has been selling out of books on Putin for two years.

The demand, he said, stems from a fascination with a Russian leader who is seen as strong and decisive and whose policies challenge the status quo of “injustice by America in Iraq and Syria.”

“He has charisma, and his characteristics are beautiful,” Sultan said. ...

The success of the Putin brand has captivated anti-establishment and anti-American politicians all over the world, as well as many people who don’t follow politics. The image-making has grown in sophistication, but it has long left room for local perceptions and imagination to fill in some of the blanks.

In Indonesia, for instance, conservative forces — Islamists, the old top brass and nationalist hawks — are trying to topple the country’s relatively liberal president, Joko Widodo, in next year’s election. In March, one prominent member of that conservative faction, congressional deputy speaker Fadli Zon, posted on Twitter about just what kind of president Indonesia needs instead.

“If Indonesia wants to rise to victory, we need a leader like Vladimir Putin: brave, visionary, intelligent, authoritative,” Zon said. He made it clear he was talking about Prabowo Subianto, the former general and son-in-law of dictator Suharto whom many establishment figures see as their preferred presidential candidate.

In the Middle East, Putin stands for an alternative to American hegemony, transcending sectarian divisions. Wajih Abbas, a newly minted Iraqi lawmaker for a fiercely anti-American Shiite militia, popularized Putin starting in 2015 by praising him for Russia’s Syria intervention and calling him “Abu Ali” — father of Ali, Shiite Islam’s most revered figure.

In Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam, a 40-year-old woman named Nguyen Thi Lan said she knew nothing about Russia’s internal political dynamics — but she already knew all she needed to know about its president, based on what she saw on TV.

“You just look at him, at the way he walks and carries himself, and you can tell he’s a true leader,” Nguyen said as her two sons played soccer. “I get the sense that he talks straight, unlike our politicians in Vietnam. And I admire his athletic abilities, you know, the martial arts, his riding horses.” ...

Putin’s backers say his image is so powerful that it can reach the general public directly, even in countries in which the news media is often critical of him. Case in point, according to a December report by the Center for Politics Analysis, a pro-Kremlin think tank — the shirtless Putin regularly portrayed on “Saturday Night Live” by cast member Beck Bennett.

“The image of a macho Putin is used actively on American humor shows when Russia comes up,” the report says. “However the Russian president doesn’t at all look stupid in them, unlike Trump, who usually comes across as a bumbling fool.” ...

Liebich, the German T-shirt maker, first started printing Putin shirts during the Ukraine crisis in 2014, which some Germans saw as a U.S.-fomented conflict aimed at sparking a wider war between Russia and Europe. But after Ukraine receded from the headlines, the demand for Putin T-shirts continued, Liebich said. Critics of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s acceptance of refugees saw Putin as someone who would have acted differently, because he “speaks in the interest of his people.”

“The press tells us that Putin is evil, and people are starting to realize that we are being lied to,” Liebich said. “They hear that Putin is evil, so he must be good.” ...

In May, 30 percent of Germans described Russia as a trustworthy partner, compared with 25 percent who said the same of the United States, according to a poll by Infratest Dimap.

The trend is similar in many other parts of Europe and the wider world, where polls have registered a turn away from the United States and toward Russia.

In Slovakia and Hungary, Putin is more popular than Trump, Merkel or French President Emmanuel Macron. Italy’s new deputy prime minister, Matteo Salvini, has posed in a Putin T-shirt in Red Square. Martin Nejedly, one of the top advisers to Czech Republic President Milos Zeman, was photographed in 2015 with a cellphone case bearing an image of the Russian leader staring out from behind sunglasses. ...

Maybe someone like JE can remind us how Trump is making America great again.....

966. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 15, 2018 at 10:02 PM (#5710389)
Fascism is fascism. Putin is its face. His lackeys are fascists boots.
   967. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 11:36 PM (#5710401)
Right. Those inflicted with TDS can claim -- validly since there's no proof otherwise -- that Strzok didn't act on his bias. They can claim, bizarrely so, that there's nothing remarkable about his texts. They can claim, insanely so, that appearance of impropriety isn't a thing.

But what takes the cake is them propping him up as some sort of purple heart hero. How could he be, and for what reason? He was an incompetent FBI agent. He compromised the integrity of the investigations he was working on. This isn't about mere "bias" -- it's about his utter lack of professionalism,
All of that is false. Strzok did not fabricate evidence. He did not plant evidence. He did not destroy evidence. He did not assault a witness, or taint a witness ID with improper lineup procedures, or ignore Miranda, or steal drugs from the evidence room, or suborn perjury, or... well, you get the idea. Here's what he actually did to get your knickers in a twist: he talked disparagingly to his girlfriend about someone who was a subject of, and who might have become a target of, one of his investigations. As I pointed out to Jason a few OTP threads ago, and as David French noted the other day, this is not only not "incompetence," but is not even interesting. Law enforcement are neither legally nor ethically required to have no opinion about the people they are investigating. (I used a hypothetical involving John Gotti; David French used the example of Elliot Ness and Al Capone.)

The only reason this even became an issue is because Trump is a cult leader, and his acolytes are looking for excuses to defend him. Not because it's a real issue.
which caused him to be removed from the investigations he was working on, and call into question whether his decisions were made for appropriate reasons. He gave Trump and his supporters a reason to be dismissive of both the Hillary investigation and the Trump one.
Nice try, but you and Trump and his other supporters have been dismissive of Russiagate since before you had ever heard of Strzok.
   968. Lassus Posted: July 15, 2018 at 11:39 PM (#5710402)
STFU, hippie. (No, not David or Sam.)
   969. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 15, 2018 at 11:53 PM (#5710405)
In astroturfing news, at least 21 newspapers run IDENTICAL anti-Kavanaugh letters, signed by DIFFERENT people:
Judge Brett Kavanaugh is going into the Supreme Court confirmation process with a hail of rhetorical arrows zinging by him, including a phony letter-writing campaign aimed at unsuspecting American newspaper editors

At least 21 papers were duped last week, including big-market brands like the Dallas Morning News and The Washington Times. They ran identical letters over a four-day period, each signed by a different person. The effort is an example of public-relations 'astroturfing,' a technique meant to simulate genuine grassroots support for an idea or cause.

A bit desperate, eh? More at link.
   970. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM (#5710407)
Possible new grounds for opposing confirmation of a Supreme Court nominee? Kavanaugh's Collegial Nature Could Change Supreme Court's Tenor:

You laugh, but it has already been established that Kavanaugh... drank beer in college. (NARAL even called him a "frat boy.") So the more we hear about his "collegial" nature, the worse he'll do in his confirmation hearings.
   971. Howie Menckel Posted: July 16, 2018 at 12:06 AM (#5710408)
I can't vouch for the Daily Mail, but if the claim is true, it's very clever.

most newspaper legacies are left with nearly zero filters, so they tend to post what they get. the first one on the link is from The Washington Times, which is right-wing but probably has a few old-timers who like the idea of posting contrarian views.

the two deadly sins:
- 20 years ago, the largest newspapers didn't see a reason why they should charge for new internet consumers to get news free online that they used to pay for in a tangible newspaper. the next tiers were, or believed they were, forced to follow.

- the consumer reaction to that, somewhat understandably, was to eventually refuse to pay reporter salaries through any subscriptions at all.

now, few newspaper reporters and even fewer editors exist - so here we are. plus we have an..... interesting President.

the old curse was, may you live in interesting times.
   972. Ray (CTL) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 12:25 AM (#5710409)

But what takes the cake is them propping him up as some sort of purple heart hero. How could he be, and for what reason? He was an incompetent FBI agent. He compromised the integrity of the investigations he was working on. This isn't about mere "bias" -- it's about his utter lack of professionalism,

All of that is false. Strzok did not fabricate evidence. He did not plant evidence. He did not destroy evidence. He did not assault a witness, or taint a witness ID with improper lineup procedures, or ignore Miranda, or steal drugs from the evidence room, or suborn perjury, or... well, you get the idea. Here's what he actually did to get your knickers in a twist: he talked disparagingly to his girlfriend about someone who was a subject of, and who might have become a target of, one of his investigations. As I pointed out to Jason a few OTP threads ago, and as David French noted the other day, this is not only not "incompetence," but is not even interesting. Law enforcement are neither legally nor ethically required to have no opinion about the people they are investigating. (I used a hypothetical involving John Gotti; David French used the example of Elliot Ness and Al Capone.)

This might be an effective rebuttal... in a world in which Robert Mueller didn't remove Strzok from his investigation due to the alleged nothing-to-see-here texts.
   973. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 06:09 AM (#5710419)
Our Little Lord and his fellow Trumpholsters are concerned that the FBI s trying to frame Donald Trump just like the LAPDtried to frame OJ Simpson. No justice no peace homies. Fight the power. So woke.
   974. -- Posted: July 16, 2018 at 06:57 AM (#5710421)
All of that is false. Strzok did not fabricate evidence. He did not plant evidence. He did not destroy evidence. He did not assault a witness, or taint a witness ID with improper lineup procedures, or ignore Miranda, or steal drugs from the evidence room, or suborn perjury, or... well, you get the idea.

Got a cite for that? (*)

Here's what he actually did to get your knickers in a twist: he talked disparagingly to his girlfriend about someone who was a subject of, and who might have become a target of, one of his investigations.

Trump was never a subject of any of "his investigations," and certainly was not at the time of the texts at issue. Comey told Trump months later, several times, that he was not being investigated. Your ... cough ... misdirection ... may fool the target demo, but nothing more.

Banished. To. H. R.

The only reason this even became an issue is because Trump is a cult leader,

It's an "issue" because he was banished to HR for professional misconduct relating to the investigations, and the FBI "investigations" appear to have been created on a complete pretext. Reports are that he opened one, likely on such a pretext -- but the IG will be the most thorough word on the matter.

There are a bunch of simple facts about this, but one simple fact is that if there had been actual, legitimate concern about some of Trump's campaign people being "infiltrated by Russians," the bureau would have quietly briefed Trump who then would have quietly fired the people. As he fired Manafort.

(*) Of course, none of that matters -- his serious professional misconduct didn't involve those things; it involved other things. Pure target demo material.

975. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 16, 2018 at 07:06 AM (#5710423)
If only Trump could have known that Manafort was involved with Russians.
   976. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 16, 2018 at 07:12 AM (#5710424)
A penny for Putin's thoughts right now.

"Clueless numpty."
   977. -- Posted: July 16, 2018 at 07:17 AM (#5710425)
You're going to have to be far more precise than "involved with Russians," Joe. Americans routinely do business with Russians and have for 20+ years. In fact, for example, Americans take Putin's money to help Putin get American sanctions laws changed -- Tony Podesta.

978. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 07:24 AM (#5710426)
(*) Of course, none of that matters -- his serious professional misconduct didn't involve those things; it involved other things

OJ was framed because Mark Fuhrman said “nigger”. Johnnie Cochran said so and he’s a real lawyer.
   979. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 07:31 AM (#5710427)
Last week Twitter purged a large number of Russian Bot accounts. The results were predictable.

Conservative Twitter users claim they woke up to find thousands of followers were gone and accused Twitter of secretly stripping away like-minded accounts.

“Is obvious attempt by the Crooked Hillary and Deep State to attack free speech by fellow American patriots,” fumed Twitter user JohnnyFarmboy. “Many friend said to me, Ivan is great tragedy that Deep State try to hurt our American peoples by attacking friends of powerful and handsome leader Trump.”
   980. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 16, 2018 at 07:34 AM (#5710428)
Inarticulate boorish con man who made his fortune screwing small businessmen out of relatively small amounts of money meets career KGB shark who is savvy enough to have amassed billions....what could go wrong?
   981. -- Posted: July 16, 2018 at 07:44 AM (#5710429)
Inarticulate boorish con man who made his fortune screwing small businessmen out of relatively small amounts of money meets career KGB shark who is savvy enough to have amassed billions....what could go wrong?

Russia could invade another country?
   982. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 16, 2018 at 07:49 AM (#5710430)
Has anyone ever confirmed that SBB is not a Russian troll-bot?
   983. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 16, 2018 at 07:52 AM (#5710431)
This might be an effective rebuttal... in a world in which

Ray cared about facts.
   984. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 08:00 AM (#5710432)
Has anyone ever confirmed that SBB is not a Russian troll-bot?

Maybe he’s a real lawyer in Russia.
   985. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 16, 2018 at 08:04 AM (#5710433)
Maybe he’s a real lawyer in Russia.

It's possible. All I know for certain on the question is that many people here have met Ray, for better or worse. Others have met Clapper, for better or worse. I literally don't know of anyone on this board who can verify SBB's reality outside of his trolling of this forum, and his behaviors here are not out of line with standard bot behaviors in other forums.
   986. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 08:05 AM (#5710435)
I am totally not Russian troll account as comrade Bivens can confirm.

Phew that was close.
   987. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 16, 2018 at 08:07 AM (#5710436)
I am totally not Russian troll account as comrade Bivens can confirm.

Well...who really knows who I actually met.
   988. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 16, 2018 at 08:38 AM (#5710440)
I submitted a new week's thread. I might be less busy this week than last, but maybe not.
   989. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 08:49 AM (#5710444)
Well...who really knows who I actually met.

Whaddya mean, we talked about all our favorite wrestlers! Would a Russian be able to talk about the old-time greats like Nikolai Volkoff, Ivan Koloff, Boris Zhukov, Krusher Kruschev, Colonel Nanutchka from GLOW...oh, wait...
   990. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: July 16, 2018 at 09:09 AM (#5710448)
This might be an effective rebuttal... in

opposite world!!
   991. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 09:21 AM (#5710450)
A Russian journalist compared Putin to Putin's Puppet

In their habits, they're radically different. Trump is a posturing performer, full of idiotic narcissism. He appears to be a disorganized fool, to be honest. Putin, on the other hand, is calculating, organized, and he plans everything. He also hides much of his personal life in a way that Trump does not.

Then there's also the fact that Putin is so much more experienced than Trump. He has more than 15 years of global political experience. He knows how to do things, how to work the system. He makes plenty of mistakes, but he knows how to think and act. Trump is a total neophyte. He has no experience and doesn't understand how global politics operates. He displays his ignorance every single day.

Oh read the whole thing. It's full of pithy insight into how the man known as Comrade Cockholster is viewed by his comrades in Moscow.
   992. Traderdave Posted: July 16, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5710452)
Cohen's ability to keep a straight face is truly amazing.
   993. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: July 16, 2018 at 09:33 AM (#5710454)

"Even Russian journalists aren't immune from TDS." Watch.
   994. DavidFoss Posted: July 16, 2018 at 09:45 AM (#5710457)
"Even Russian journalists aren't immune from TDS." Watch.

There's more trolling going on than actually meetings this week in Helsinki. Russia is retweeting Trump's 'witch hunt' tweets. They're having a joint press conference later, plus Putin is being interviewed by Chris Wallace. Someone is going to ask Putin a tough question and he'll just laugh and say "Trump told me you were all fake news" then everyone will freak out like they didn't expect that reply.
   995. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 16, 2018 at 09:54 AM (#5710459)
All I know for certain on the question is that many people here have met Ray, for better or worse. Others have met Clapper, for better or worse. I literally don't know of anyone on this board who can verify SBB's reality outside of his trolling of this forum,

You can say the same thing about Good Face. Has anyone here actually met him?

Personally I'm assuming that both of them are Americans, since they were engaging in their particular forms of performance art long before Trump and the Russians began their canoodling, but that's just about the only thing about them I'd take at face value.
   996. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 10:24 AM (#5710470)

<yawn> Do I really have to immediately address every issue mentioned in OTP? Because it suits your agenda? It's not like I'm being paid by the word here.

You were asked a direct question and didn't answer it.

But hey, it's a free country... for now.
   997. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 16, 2018 at 10:26 AM (#5710473)
You can say the same thing about Good Face. Has anyone here actually met him?

Nope. He too hides like a little #####.
   998. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 10:27 AM (#5710474)

Misirlou is a liar. Here's the video of that part of Rosenstein's statement. See for yourself, the inflection or emphasis that Misirlou claims to have heard is entirely missing.

Aaaaaaaaand we're back on jaw movements...
   999. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 16, 2018 at 10:32 AM (#5710479)

Yup. And given that there are many possible and probable shoes that could drop, to claim that there is nothing to see here and its not headed in any particular direction is ridiculous. Every day, something new comes out that looks bad for Trump. I expect that trend to continue.

Of course. Why else do you think Trump, Giuliani, et al keep bleating that the investigation MUST. END. NOW?
   1000. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: July 16, 2018 at 10:35 AM (#5710480)
<yawn> Do I really have to immediately address every issue mentioned in OTP? Because it suits your agenda? It's not like I'm being paid by the word here.

You were asked a direct question and didn't answer it.

Meh - Clapper, alone among the Trumpkins - is the one bot who never defies his programming.

Juannity will sprinkle one post out of every 100 with a tweet reprint eyerolling Trump. Get Ray or SBB angry enough, and they'll occasionally say that of course Trump is a ridiculously idiot before returning to their moot court glory days.

But Clapper? He stands alone as the one Trumpkin who has never, ever uttered even a tiny scintilla of criticism about Trump.

I'd say he's the very definition of the cliched 'good German' from the mid century Germany... but really, he's even worse than that because it's not really even "my country, right or wrong"... it's "my party's leader right or wrong".
Page 10 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.