Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, June 11, 2018

OTP 2018 June 11: Sports, politics conflicted 50 years ago with mourning of RFK’s death

If you think the intersection – and conflict – of sports and politics is something new, well, you haven’t been paying close enough attention to either for a very long time.

Don’t think so? Check out President Trump’s pardon of the controversial African-American heavyweight champion Jack Johnson, who held the title more than 100 years ago. His reign was consumed by the politics of the day. So it is no surprise that the debate over NFL players and the national anthem remains a divisive topic.

Anything that is going to have the powerful symbolism of sports —and the ability to unite, as we have seen right here in Washington during the Capitals’ Stanley Cup playoffs run — is also going to generate enough passion to divide as well, in death as well as life.

That was the case 50 years ago, as Major League Baseball tried to cope with the proper way to mourn the death of New York Senator and Democratic presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy on June 6, 1968.

I almost linked to a story with the tag line “Miguel Cabrera stands next to Detroit’s “Rally Goose” during the first game of a doubleheader vs. the Yankees on Monday. The Tigers lost the opener but won the nightcap” but opted for history instead of the goose.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 11, 2018 at 07:41 AM | 1349 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: boxing, death, hockey, off-topic, politics, why can't we all just get along

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5690484)
What I have said is that A) North Korea is worse - and kindly stop pretending that wasn't my point,

There's no "pretending" anything, as North Korea is irrelevant to the discussion.

B)it's neighbors - some of whom are US allies - definitely belong in that same short list.

What "short list"? We have to cozy up to some shitholes in order to keep the oil flowing. This really isn't news.
   202. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:37 PM (#5690485)
So Hitler's Germany was a "very successful regional power"? Is that really your argument here?
Technically Hitler's Germany was a very successful world power. They came pretty close to conquering half of it.
   203. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5690488)
So Hitler's Germany was a "very successful regional power"? Is that really your argument here?

You can tell when concession boy knows his argument is weak - he feels the need to slide in stuff like "very" and hope no one will notice. Unfortunately for him, not everybody is as stupid as him.

But in any case, I would say that if you create a regime hell bent on conquering Europe - and it takes an alliance of Britain, the USSR, and United States to beat you back... well...

So? None of its neighbors are successful.

Oh?

Do somebody need to define the term "regional" for you?
   204. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5690490)
There's no "pretending" anything, as North Korea is irrelevant to the discussion.

Uh-huh.

It was just random happenstance that you brought up a 2014 quote from Obama on Iran?

Concession accepted... again.

205. Traderdave Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5690491)
So? None of its neighbors are successful.

Neither Iran nor any of its neighbors spend entire workdays making tens of thousands of posts supporting Trump -- with the occasional declaration that no, they don't support Trump at all -- so how on earth could they be considered successful?

206. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5690495)
No; Hitler's Germany was a very successful world power.

EDIT: Cokes all around.
   207. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5690496)
You can tell when concession boy knows his argument is weak - he feels the need to slide in stuff like "very" and hope no one will notice.

"Very" was Obama's word. Nice try though.

But in any case, I would say that if you create a regime hell bent on conquering Europe - and it takes an alliance of Britain, the USSR, and United States to beat you back... well...

Well, what? Hitler's Germany was "very successful"?
   208. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5690498)
No; Hitler's Germany was a very successful world power.

Thank you, Mister Troll.
   209. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5690499)

Well, what? Hitler's Germany was "very successful"?
Well, not in the long term.
   210. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5690500)
The last 20 or so posts are pretty much a perfect encapsulation of the dumbassery that is Concession Boy...

PROLOGUE: Boy, how 'bout this North Korea stuff?

1) WHATTABOUT THIS QUOTE FROM OBAMA ON IRAN? HUH!?!?!?!

1R) Ummmm... here are some facts about Iran

2) BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT

2R) Yes, but these are the facts that make you sound stupid.

3) NUH-UH NUH-UH NUH-UH!!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WORDS I USED MEAN!!!!!

3R) Clearly

4) NO FAIR! YOU ARE BRINGING UP COMPLETELY UNRELATED THINGS!!!

4R) Fin.
   211. Traderdave Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5690501)
So Roosevelt should have called it that?

Whether he should or should not have called it so, he's certainly have conceded it if asked.
   212. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5690502)
Do somebody need to define the term "regional" for you?

You're stumbling on the term "successful." There's nothing "successful" about a country with that political and legal system -- or that kind of record on terrorism. It's a dismal failure. Like I said, there are certainly reasons for optimism, given the human and other capital there -- but as of now, no. And with no hope of material change under the theocratic mullahs.

Dismal failure. In every significant respect.
   213. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5690503)

You're stumbling on the term "successful."
This from the FLTB who endorsed the idea that North Korea was a democracy.
   214. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5690504)
YC, your #154 basically owes my #150 a Coke.

Your first sentence is at odds with the remainder of your post and all of mine, so no coke for you.
I don't see how. If Trump and Kim have mutual sleepovers *and then* we return to status quo ante, propping up Kim in the meantime, and more missiles splashing around Japan, wouldn't you agree we'd look stupid?

C'mon, I'm thirsty :)

215. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5690508)
Whether he should or should not have called it so, he's certainly have conceded it if asked.

That Hitler's Germany was "very successful"?

Why would we fight a massive, bloody war against a very successful country? That seems ... odd.
   216. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5690509)
More to the point, after chastising you for clipping Trump's quote, he did so to Obama's. Obama's quote

US President Barack Obama said that Iran has the potential to become a “very successful regional power” if Tehran agrees to a comprehensive deal restricting its controversial nuclear program, in a year-end interview with National Public Radio.

So Obama says, if they do the deal, the have the potential to be a “very successful regional power”. You have reduced that to saying that Obama said they were a successful regional power.

Also a power is not a beacon of hope or an example, or even a force for good. Power is just how strong they are.
   217. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5690510)
So Obama says, if they do the deal, the have the potential to be a “very successful regional power”. You have reduced that to saying that Obama said they were a successful regional power.

I addressed that the first time I brought it up. "The deal" would have had no impact whatever on whether or not Iran was "very successful." It wasn't, and had no potential to be, absent regime change.

And moreover, the discussion moved on to people asserting that Iran in fact was very successful.

Also a power is not a beacon of hope or an example, or even a force for good. Power is just how strong they are.

"Successful" is the bizarre word, not "power."
   218. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5690511)
I see stretchy has reached the stage of argument losing where he resorts to scare quotes and refusing to understand English.

And of course even if the Stretchmeister was correct that Iran was not currently a successful regional power (something Jason has been warning hysterically about for years, BTW) Obama talked about ... well "has the potential to become", so I guess some more words to add to the list Stretchy doesn't understand.

Why are you guys responding to him?

EDIT: Coke to Swoboda for getting to the potential pont, but taken away for feeding the Troll.

However I must give Stretchy 4 bridges for his trolling effort. Excellent distraction away from the North Korean embarrassment back to Obama. Well done.
   219. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5690512)
Why are you guys responding to him?

Same reason as always -- the well-reasoned substantive points. It's kind of bizarre that this question continues to be asked. Why do you keep asking a question with such an obvious answer? Particularly when you yet again offer nothing of substance.

I'm making substantive points. People are responding. It's no more complicated than that. You're, for whatever psychological reasons you bring, interjecting non-substantively to try to deflect. It's kind of strange behavior, really. Perhaps a self-assessment is in order?
   220. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:57 PM (#5690513)
I see stretchy has reached the stage of argument losing where he resorts to scare quotes and refusing to understand English.

Year Zero.
   221. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5690516)
I don't see how. If Trump and Kim have mutual sleepovers *and then* we return to status quo ante, propping up Kim in the meantime, and more missiles splashing around Japan, wouldn't you agree we'd look stupid?

If North Korea doesn't live up to its denuclearization commitments, then we continue on the sanctions & containment path. I don't think we'll have lost much by making an effort to achieve something more. South Korea, which has the most at stake here, is highly supportive of the effort, so I don't think our alliance is threatened by the prospect of trading denuclearization for a few photo ops & the possibility of a McDonalds in Pyongyang.
   222. Traderdave Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5690518)
McDonalds in Pyongyang

A properly executed Korean barbecue burger is the bomb.
   223. BrianBrianson Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5690519)
Nazi Germany was certainly a world power, but collapsing as soon as it started taking off isn't terribly "successful" as such. If the Mullah's were deposed in the middle of the Iran-Iraq war, we wouldn't call them a successful regional power. But the main questions about whether a country is successful are mostly about whether the government successfully imposes rule of law (a pretty clear yes), and the standards of living (which, as noted, are pretty good on the economic side, maybe not so great on the cultural side from our perspective, though that's somewhat more subjective - certainly a big chunk of the Iranian population favours the conditions, and a big chunk does not. But, again, context, Iran's cultural situation is at least average regionally.)

Do you need to be a democracy to be successful? Only if it's one of your goals.
   224. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5690520)
I don't think we'll have lost much by making an effort to achieve something more.

Translation: A Republican did it.
   225. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5690521)
Same reason as always -- the well-reasoned substantive points

You jack off a lot don't you?
   226. DavidFoss Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5690522)
BREAKING: The Republic of Macedonia has agreed to be renamed the Republic of Northern Macedonia, ending a 27-year dispute with neighboring Greece which already had a geographic region within its borders that it called Macedonia.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/12/macedonia-agrees-to-new-name-after-27-year-dispute-with-greece
   227. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5690523)

Well, I suppose I helped that along by simply pointing out that they are - by any definition that doesn't give equal weight to human rights, civil liberties, and representative government.

But if we could step back to the original point that Concession Boy unintentionally brought up (coupled with Clapper's flowering of democracy)...

The fact is that the basic theory that the Trumpkins seem to have adopted does, in fact, work better for Iran. It's not even up for debate.

To wit -

North Korea has NO democratic tradition of any kind, whatsoever.

Iran's nascent democratic institutions are deeply flawed, of course - but they do exist. The two elections won by Ahmadinejad were obviously rather farcical, plagued by violence and intimidation - but those preceding and succeeding were not. The main problem is more that only candidates expressly permitted by the AoE are allowed on the ballot. Still - that doesn't change the fact that Hassan Rouhani is not Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (though neither is a Mir-Hossein Mousavi).

North Korea has NO even nascent successors around to caretake or otherwise guide a collapse of the existing regime. They're all dead.

Iran does - they're hardly enjoying a lot of freedom - but Mousavi, though under house arrest, is still alive. There are a large number of dedicated reformers in Iran.

North Korean serfs don't even have electricity, much less any access to modern technology or devices.

Iran most certainly does censor, restrict, and otherwise do all it can prevent internet access, curtail media, etc... But - the blackout is by no means total nor even particularly successful.

North Korea has an utterly ruined economic, virtually sans infrastructure, and constantly famine-ridden. These are not ideal conditions for a nascent democracy to emerge.

Iran has a relatively modern infrastructure, is able to feed itself, and again - a fairly large economy. These ARE the conditions in which a democracy can take root.

North Korea's population exists and has been psychologically tortured into a black hole whereby I doubt even 10% of the country has any real concept of what exists outside of Dear Leader.

Iran has a hardline Islamic problem with the role of women, LBGTQ rights, et al... but it's population is NOT unfamiliar with these concepts - indeed, women regularly petition to run for parliament (and are summarily denied ballot access by the AoE).

In short -- it's completely and utterly laughable that the Trumpkins light this candle of 'what ifs' regarding some fanciful future for North Korea... while they took the completely opposite approach on Iran. It's a farce.

If they truly believed what they said - Iran makes for a far, far, far, far, far, far better petri dish than North Korea.

When and if the Kim regime collapses - North Korea is going to be a humanitarian crisis of monumental proportions. They'll be less concerned with what's on the ballots than they will be whether the ballots are edible.

Iran is a problem regime. North Korea is a basket case.
   228. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5690524)
Nazi Germany was certainly a world power, but collapsing as soon as it started taking off isn't terribly "successful" as such. If the Mullah's were deposed in the middle of the Iran-Iraq war, we wouldn't call them a successful regional power.

Yeah the current Iranian government has long since outlasted Nazi Germany, and if Jason is to be believed it is most certainly a regional power. As you state success is very much subjective and depends on one's goals. From a limited perspective one can imagine someone thinking North Korea is successful (less of a stretch than imagining North Korea a democracy, certainly).
   229. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5690527)
McDonalds in Pyongyang

They don't have any MacDonalds - at least since 1979 - but you know what does exist in Iran?

A Five Guys...
   230. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5690530)
They don't have any MacDonalds - at least since 1979 - but you know what does exist in Iran?

A Five Guys...

This is incredible.
   231. Greg K Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5690531)
That Hitler's Germany was "very successful"?

Why would we fight a massive, bloody war against a very successful country? That seems ... odd.

You seem to be using an idiosyncratic definition of successful. You could flip that around and say Hitler's Germany being a successful regional power is exactly why the US got involved in the European war. Had Hitler's Germany not been successful in its goals then there's no need to land in Normandy.

To me a "very successful regional power" is a state is successful in its goal of being a regional power. Sort of like if I call Bryce Harper a very successful hitter. The implication is that hitting is the thing I'm measuring his success in.
   232. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5690532)
Uh, why? It's the very fact that they're successful that requires a massive, bloody war to fight them. If they weren't successful, it would be odd to fight a massive bloody war against them; we could make quick work of them.
   233. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5690533)

A Five Guys...

I'll have to ask the nephew-in-law if that one is part of his territory.
   234. DavidFoss Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5690534)
A Five Guys...

I guess its a knock-off. I'm almost bummed. :-)

Iran is very large and well-developed. There are sanctions in place at the moment, but if the political situation ever got sorted out, there is a large, well-educated middle class which are ready to consume lots of western products.
   235. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5690536)
Sort of like if I call Bryce Harper a very successful hitter.

Better yet, I call Tiger Woods a very successful golfer. This does not mean that he is not a train wreck personally.
   236. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5690537)
A Five Guys...

I guess its a knock-off. I'm almost bummed. :-)

Yeah, it's a knock-off... I was sorta, kinda trying to do a Coming to America thing (i.e., 'MacDonalds rather McDonalds :-))

...though, if the Trip Adviser reviews are to be believed - it's pretty much a MacDowells level of successful knock-off.

237. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5690538)
Uh, why? It's the very fact that they're successful that requires a massive, bloody war to fight them. If they weren't successful, it would be odd to fight a massive bloody war against them; we could make quick work of them.

We call that one "Grenada."
   238. Greg K Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5690539)
If I were to parse Obama's statement I'd read him as saying that Iran has the opportunity to be a very successful regional power working within the rules set down in the agreement. In other words, by following the rules Iran would not be sacrificing its influence in the region, if anything it could exert more.
   239. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5690541)
Man.... Somebody must have a really comfy couch to sleep on!

The Terrible Arguments Against the Constitutionality of the Mueller Investigation
   240. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5690544)
Yeah, it's a knock-off... I was sorta, kinda trying to do a Coming to America thing (i.e., 'MacDonalds rather McDonalds :-))

McDowell's.

And you bumpkins could learn a lot about boxing from watching that movie!
   241. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5690546)
And you bumpkins could learn a lot about boxing from watching that movie!

Plus see Samuel L Jackson's first role and Eddie Murphy when he could actually carry a movie!
   242. Lassus Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5690552)
We have to cozy up to some shitholes in order to keep the oil flowing. This really isn't news.

I generally assumed you didn't care what Canada's been thinking lately.
   243. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5690555)
Trump, on assurances NK will stick to the agreement: "Can anything be assured? Can I assure you that you'll be able to sit properly when you need to sit down?"

He should sit down and shut up. What a ####### moron.
   244. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5690556)
He already said what would happen when he said that in 6 months he will stand up there and make up an excuse for why it didn't work out.
   245. Calvin T. Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5690558)
Concession Accepted
   246. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5690560)
He already said what would happen when he said that in 6 months he will stand up there and make up an excuse for why it didn't work out.

I know. I posted that earlier.
   247. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5690561)
From the last thread:

1392. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 11, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5689541)

Anyway, now that net neutrality is officially dead, I assume that BBTF will be forced to shut down momentarily, so in case I don't get a chance to say it: farewell to all of you.

Well, BTF DID go down today. As did Netflix (for about an hour). So there.

Update: Today, BBREF is all messed up, and the Florida Sunpass website has been down all day.

You were warned.
   248. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5690563)
I know. I posted that earlier.

Sorry missed it.
   249. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5690564)
If Jason does return, I propose that every response to him be a link to this John Oliver video.

Catching up. But if he does return, can I also propose that we change his nickname to Juannity.
   250. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5690572)
GOP Fears Trump’s War On Pre-Existing Condition Protections Will Backfire Bigly

With some distance from last year’s failed attempts to repeal Obamacare, Republicans had begun growing hopeful that good economic news and some improving poll numbers might save them in the midterms. But they now fear that Trump has handed voters proof positive that his party doesn’t care about those with preexisting conditions.

“This is definitely the most popular aspect of the Obamacare legislation, and it clearly creates an opening for Democrats going into the final months of the election year,” GOP strategist Ken Spain, a former communications director at the National Republican Congressional Committee, told TPM.

This message should pair nicely with the companion message about how GOP sabotage of ACA has caused premiums to spike (shortly before the election). Thanks Trump!
   251. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5690578)
And once more, thanks Trump!!

‘It’s obscene’: GOP candidate seethes as Trump embraces Democratic senator

The tension between the White House and Cramer could have implications for GOP control of the Senate in November’s midterm elections and has exposed friction within the White House, pitting the legislative operation intent on securing the support of centrist Democrats against a ­political team determined to oust them.

The contest also has become a deeply personal test of both candidates’ relationship with the president, who won North Dakota by nearly 36 points in 2016. Trump had considered Heitkamp for a Cabinet post and even tried to persuade her to switch parties. This year, the president worked furiously to get Cramer to run after he initially declined. The congressman is expected to win the North Dakota Republican primary on Tuesday.

Much more amusing stuff on the other side of the link.
   252. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:28 PM (#5690579)

What a godawful twit that guy is. Yesterday he spent most of the day mocking people for looking at style over substance WRT Trump policies, and his first post today is him mocking Trudeau's eyebrows rather than discuss the substance of his counter claims to Trump's lies.

If the ignore feature doesn't get fixed soon, I will have to quit this site. Accidentally reading his drivel is giving me a migraine.
   253. Eddo Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5690580)
If the ignore feature doesn't get fixed soon

Huh? This is what I see:

215. I'm Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5690508)
[ Ignored Comment ]
   254. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5690589)
Played like a banjo.

The BBC correspondent in Beijing and the BBC Bureau Chief for North America say that China (specifically, the government spokesman in a daily briefing) announced that the US had agreed to suspend military exercises with South Korea before President Trump announced it in his press conference. In other words, they knew in advance.
   255. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5690594)
Catching up. But if he does return, can I also propose that we change his nickname to Juannity.

Just like to note that I like this - and will embrace it should the occasion occur.
   256. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5690597)

I thought that was the hill TGF died on...
   257. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5690598)
They knew before our own commanders, apparently. What a POS Trump is. He just gave away half the farm FOR WHAT???????????

China is ####### creaming themselves at their luck.
   258. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5690599)
Huh? This is what I see:

It is because of the formatting of his name, you can't add him right now to the list, if he is already there he is still IGNORED. The apostrophe I think. It can be hand coded, but I don't remember how right now.
   259. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5690602)
Huh? This is what I see:

215. I'm Merely a Fake Lawyer Posted: June 12, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5690508)
[ Ignored Comment ]

It works if someone is already on ignore. But you (or at least I) cannot add someone new. When I click on a name, then click on ignore member, I am directed to the manage ignores page without the new name added. When I try to manually add by typing in the name, I get a "Invalid user name" error message.
   260. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5690603)
nvm
   261. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5690604)

Only metaphorically, but anyway I believe Stretchy endorsed it at some point for some random reason. And no I am not going to wade through that nonsense to find the instance.
   262. Traderdave Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5690605)
   263. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5690607)
Remember how Clapper was proclaiming happy South Korea?

And the post above about how the Chinese appeared to have announced the end of joint SK/US military exercises before Trump did?

Well, it blindsided the US military and South Korea -

But both the Pentagon and South Korea's military appeared to have blindsided by Trump's statement.

U.S. Forces Korea said it had "received no updated guidance," and Seoul said it would need to clarify the "intention behind his comments."

So... if you're scoring at home.

China knew ahead of time. NK got what it wanted. US and South Korean military? No updated guidance... need to clarify the intention behind his comments.

What a disaster of a joke of a debacle wrapped with a what the #### is wrong with you Trumpkins.

You'll do the bozo dance of flip-floppy humiliation until the orange cows come home.

EDIT: Coke to MV
   264. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5690608)
The BBC correspondent in Beijing and the BBC Bureau Chief for North America say that China (specifically, the government spokesman in a daily briefing) announced that the US had agreed to suspend military exercises with South Korea before President Trump announced it in his press conference. In other words, they knew in advance.
If the reporting is correct and the announcement caught the South Koreans by surprise while the Chinese knew about it in advance, that means either the Chinese were sitting in on the US/NK meetings and SK didn't, or that the US agreed to this ahead of time without consulting either SK or, apparently, the Department of Defense. I doubt it's the latter, since that concession most likely would have gotten back to the Pentagon very quickly. If it's the former, that means the North Koreans and the Chinese got a concession without having Trump get anything back from them in face-to-face talks. THEY CAN TALK HIM INTO STUFF. It also means that the biggest mover behind the scenes is China, not a surprise since China's made no secret about wanting to extend its national influence outward beyond with just money and guns.

That's not good for us.
   265. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5690610)
I'm betting Trump said it in the "private meeting" with Kim in order to get a smile and Kim immediately relayed it to the Chinese.
   266. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5690611)
That's not good for us.

Nothing that has happened since 2016, nor anything that can possibly happen until this idiot is removed from office, can be good for us.
   267. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5690613)
It is because of the formatting of his name, you can't add him right now to the list, if he is already there he is still IGNORED. The apostrophe I think. It can be hand coded, but I don't remember how right now.

It works if someone is already on ignore. But you (or at least I) cannot add someone new. When I click on a name, then click on ignore member, I am directed to the manage ignores page without the new name added. When I try to manually add by typing in the name, I get a "Invalid user name" error message.

I can ignore Miserlou who has an apostrophe in his name, if I copy and paste it into the 'add member' box. Just did that to test it. Maybe try that instead of typing it out.
   268. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5690614)
Maybe South Korea and the Pentagon should just ask Beijing...

They seem to know what's going on.

What the hell, we've already outsourced decisions in the Atlantic theater to the Kremlin... might as well as let China make the decisions in the Pacific.

269. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5690616)

What a godawful twit that guy is.
No, he's a T.R.O.L.L. That's why he's FLTB.

I'm not going to say DNFTT, because I'd be a massive hypocrite since I do it all the time. But if you're going to FTT, then at least understand that you're doing it.
   270. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5690617)

From your lips to god's ears.
   271. Traderdave Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5690618)
   272. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5690619)
What a disaster of a joke of a debacle wrapped with a what the #### is wrong with you Trumpkins.

You'll do the bozo dance of flip-floppy humiliation until the orange cows come home.

While you losers are whining, I'm busy making big bucks on PotCoin!
   273. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5690620)
If the ignore feature doesn't get fixed soon, I will have to quit this site.

Once you put him on ignore, you have to refresh the page for him to disappear.
   274. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5690622)
   275. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5690624)

Oh, it was TGF's originally. But FLTB quickly jumped on the bandwagon, and even elaborated, when he realized its troll potential. (That's why I said "endorsed" rather than "came up with.") (See, e.g.)
   276. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5690625)
OK, so if you want to ignore someone it can be done (even with an ' in their name). It sounds dumb, but follow these steps:

1: Click on their name.
2: Near the top you will see :"You are Here > Home > Forum Home > Member List > I’m Merely a Fake Lawyer"
3: Copy the junk after the last >, ie "I’m Merely a Fake Lawyer"
4: Click on "IGNORE MEMBER", it won't work and will dump you into the manual screen
5: Click ADD MEMBER
6: Paste in the junk you copied and then delete out the " ’ " and replace it with " ' ". Don't let smart quotes or anything happen. (Note the difference)
7: Magic occurs and it works.

NOTE: The "Junk" I am talking about doesn't show up normally, it will appear when following the steps. With spaces between it is is : I & # 1 4 6 ; m; the & and # are part of the coding.
   277. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5690626)
Once you put him on ignore, you have to refresh the page for him to disappear.

No, that's not the problem. It is impossible to add him to the ignore list. I don't know if Mouse's theory is correct, but I was able to add HIM, so it's something with troll boy's handle.
   278. Lassus Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5690630)

Yeah, back in the day I had to have Dan fix this for me with one of Perros's names.

279. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5690631)
Sort of like if I call Bryce Harper a very successful hitter.

Better yet, I call Tiger Woods a very successful golfer.

It's nothing like either of those. Bryce Harper and Tiger Woods both are very successful based on objective and sensible measurements of same. OTOH, Iran is not -- under any serious definition. Its political system and laws and governmental behaviors are not "successes" -- they're dismal failures. Just as Nazi Germany's were. (Though it's cute to see people now pretending our beef with Nazi Germany was non-ideological and actually pretending the issue warrants re-litigation. As John Lennon might have said: Whatever trolls you through the night.)
   280. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:58 PM (#5690633)
Thank you, thank you mouse. It worked.

so he used html code in his name and that messed it up. I wonder if it was on purpose.
   281. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5690635)
Only metaphorically, but anyway I believe Stretchy endorsed it at some point for some random reason.

It wasn't a "random reason." The reason was to mock your D-student-caliber democracy fetish. Pretty sure that was made clear at the time.
   282. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5690636)
No, that's not the problem. It is impossible to add him to the ignore list. I don't know if Mouse's theory is correct, but I was able to add HIM, so it's something with troll boy's handle.

Try copying this into the add member box

I&#146;m Merely a Fake Lawyer 
   283. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5690638)
We need more threads with "boxing" tags. Can someone ask Trump to pardon Ike Ibeabuchi?
   284. Howie Menckel Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5690639)
Rudy, Rudy, Rudy
Rudy Giuliani’s wife told The Post on Tuesday that her estranged husband is lying when he says he hasn’t been having an affair — and insisted that the illicit relationship began before they were separated.

As The Post exclusively reported Tuesday, Giuliani has been cheating on wife Judith Nathan with married New Hampshire hospital administrator Maria Rosa Ryan, according to sources."

“I do know Dr. Ryan. She is a friend of mine, so is her husband Bob. She’s a PhD and a very, very fine woman,” he told The Post Tuesday.

When asked about their time at the New Hampshire resort, he said he and Ryan shared a meal with two of her colleagues and then watched “The Godfather.”

When asked again if he’d had a sexual relationship with Ryan he said, “I never spent the night with her. There’s no proof. There can’t be because we never did anything.”

285. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5690640)
They knew before our own commanders, apparently. What a POS Trump is. He just gave away half the farm FOR WHAT???????????
As always, the answer is dumber than anyone expected.

Trump wants to build hotels on North Korea's beaches. That is FOR WHAT. And those are some fine looking hotels, so stop complaining. You almost can't see the unexploded ordnance.
“They have great beaches. You see that whenever they’re exploding their cannons into the ocean,” the real estate mogul turned president said during a press conference in Singapore. “I said, ‘Boy, look at that view. Wouldn’t that make a great condo? Instead of doing that you could have the best hotels in the world right there.​'”

“Think of it from a real estate perspective, you have South Korea, you have China, and they own the land in the middle, how bad is that, right? It’s great​,” he explained during a video presentation at Tuesday’s summit.
   286. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5690641)
Try copying this into the add member box

I’m Merely a Fake Lawyer 

I did, and got invalid name. then following Mouse's advice, I replaced the HTML with ' and it worked.
   287. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:03 PM (#5690642)
If I were to parse Obama's statement I'd read him as saying that Iran has the opportunity to be a very successful regional power working within the rules set down in the agreement. In other words, by following the rules Iran would not be sacrificing its influence in the region, if anything it could exert more.

Iran exerting more influence in the region is bad. No one should hope for such a thing out loud.
   288. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5690643)
Remember how Clapper was proclaiming happy South Korea?

And the post above about how the Chinese appeared to have announced the end of joint SK/US military exercises before Trump did?

Well, it blindsided the US military and South Korea -

But both the Pentagon and South Korea's military appeared to have blindsided by Trump's statement.

U.S. Forces Korea said it had "received no updated guidance," and Seoul said it would need to clarify the "intention behind his comments."
I'll take my coke for # 196.
   289. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5690644)
Trump wants to build hotels on North Korea's beaches. That is FOR WHAT. And those are some fine looking hotels, so stop complaining. You almost can't see the unexploded ordnance.

I wish to point out that the many, many, many times I said the end result would be nothing more than new Trump Hotels in Pyongyang was not intended to be humorous.

Just prescient and inevitable.
   290. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5690645)
I'll take my coke for # 196.

Half a coke.

The going rate on near flip posts is lower.
   291. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5690646)
So he used a HTML coding in his name to prevent people from ignoring him. How sad is that? It's a cry for help really, but I'm blissfully deaf to it now.
   292. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5690647)
So he used a HTML coding in his name to prevent people from ignoring him. How sad is that? It's a cry for help really, but I'm blissfully deaf to it now.

Meh, I posited months ago that he does stuff like that to make it harder to search for stupid things he's said in the past.
   293. -- Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5690648)
So he used a HTML coding in his name to prevent people from ignoring him. How sad is that?

You've completely lost your mind. Whatever I can do to make it easier to ignore, I'm happy to do. How can I help?
   294. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5690650)
Iran exerting more influence in the region is bad. No one should hope for such a thing out loud.

Lord knows the same could be said about the US!
   295. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5690652)
As The Post exclusively reported Tuesday, Giuliani has been cheating on wife Judith Nathan with married New Hampshire hospital administrator Maria Rosa Ryan, according to sources."
Given that Nathan first landed Giuliani by having an affair with him while he was married to Donna Hanover, well... let's just say that her whining is a bit unseemly.

(That was the fun when Hanover found out that Rudy had dumped her when he held a press conference to announce it (after he had been spotted dining intimately with Nathan). He hadn't bothered to tell Hanover before he told the media.)

When asked again if he’d had a sexual relationship with Ryan he said, “I never spent the night with her. There’s no proof. There can’t be because we never did anything.”
Always a good way to make a convincing denial is to say, "There's no proof."
   296. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5690653)

You've completely lost your mind. Whatever I can do to make it easier to ignore, I'm happy to do. How can I help?
Just be yourself.
   297. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5690654)
I love David and Ray's views on women. I really do.
   298. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:18 PM (#5690656)
Rudy Giuliani’s wife told The Post on Tuesday that her estranged husband is lying when he says he hasn’t been having an affair — and insisted that the illicit relationship began before they were separated.

Judy Nathan, Giuliani's wife, has a lot of gall to complain about Rudy having an affair and cheating on her. She had an affair with him when Rudy was married to Donna Hannover.

You know the saying, marry the mistress and you create a job opening.

Edit- Coke to our NJ lawyer
   299. DavidFoss Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:23 PM (#5690660)
>So he used a HTML coding in his name to prevent people from ignoring him. How sad is that?

See this page and look for the 146 code that Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle mentions above.

Somehow, the apostrophe in your name is a "right-facing" apostrophe instead of the standard ASCII apostrophe (code 39) that is next to the enter key on the keyboard. Sometimes a renderer will pretty up the standard apostrophes and quotes. It may look nice but it creates a nuisance for downstream data processing and filtering. Try retyping your username using a plain '-character, or perhaps just avoid using a contraction.
   300. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:24 PM (#5690661)
I love David and Ray's views on women. I really do.

Meh, I'll agree with Swoboda in 298...

If it's "landed" you object to, I'd say it's unisex...
Page 3 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Backlasher
for his generous support.