Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, June 25, 2018

OTP 2018 June 25: Charles Krauthammer’s Love Of Baseball Leaves A Lasting Legacy

In recent days, many of Charles’ admirers had honored his formidable body of work and conservative convictions. I’m here to pay respects to his love of baseball, which made him and the world a happier place.

“If you believe, as do I, that God created baseball as a relief from politics, I herewith offer, as a public service, a column about [Bryce] Harper & friends,” he wrote in an exquisite column for The Washington Post in 2016.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 25, 2018 at 11:43 AM | 2113 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. Lassus Posted: June 26, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5699959)
What happens when a decision is deadlocked? Do you then eliminate 3 person panels from the appellate courts too and also require even numbers there?

I answered this in an edit, but no. The SUPREME court would be special in that regard. It is the SUPREME court, the end of the line, so.
   402. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 26, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5699967)
391 is just Lassus-enough of a post that I can't tell whether it's sarcastic or sincere-but-loopy.

EDIT: Whereas 390 is just loopy.

I really don't think charities should exist forever. If it is a charity, you should give out the money to the cause. A lot of charities seem to be in the business of keeping a bureaucracy going, giving out 5% of the endowment. If they were forced to pay it out quicker, the goal of helping the cause would be fulfilled.
   403. . . . . . . Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5699970)

Well, it is sincere, and probably more idealistic and goofy than loopy. If it's all going to be partisan lines, what's the point? Even in the other direction? I'd say that if you can't convince the 5-5 partisan lines to eke out a 6-4 vote, it deserves to be kicked back.

Many (I think most) SCOTUS decisions are non-partisan. It just so happens that the ones everyone pays attention to tend to be the most politically charged and most likely to fall on partisan lines.
   404. Lassus Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5699977)
But why do you think there would be a 5-5 partisan split in the first place?

Fair point. But it seems more likely than not, lately.

Many (I think most) SCOTUS decisions are non-partisan. It just so happens that the ones everyone pays attention to tend to be the most politically charged and most likely to fall on partisan lines.

Also fair.
   405. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5699981)
Around 50% of the Supreme Court's decisions are unanimous. So far this term, the two most senior Justices appointed by presidents from each party (Kennedy & Ginsburg) have agreed on 65% of the cases, and only one pair of Justices have agreed on less than half of the case (Alito & Sotomayor, 48%).

EDIT: Corected last pairing.
   406. Sit down, Sleepy has lots of stats Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5699985)
When New Zealand sends us it's people, it's not sending the very best.

407. perros Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5699987)
Weren't you a Trump supporter/voter under a previous alias, Perros? I suppose the joke is on me for asking.

I have played devil's advocate on any number of issues, including with Trump. I believe it foolish to take politics at face value. What we see played out across the media is a charade, so I have played along. If you think Trump is an outlier, and playing his own hand... there's no hope for you.

What you read now is largely what you get. I believe I gave you seven starting positions a while back, which haven't changed so much as continued to evolve -- the materialism I posited is not merely scientific, but dialectical. We're not some disembodied brain floating on nothingness obj3ctively judging things apart from us. We are part of everything that is, and interconnected in ways we barely understand.... The basic premises of political conversation here are fundamentally in error.

It's not that I believe I'm this or that or the other. It's a process of discovery in which I is another, life is bigger than you, and you are not me.

More riddle than joke.
   408. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5699990)

Apparently not in that instance. Appropriate use of a handgun for self-defense, too, which some here have repeatedly noted they would not allow if it were up to them.
   409. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5699992)

No they really don't. It's business timeBusiness time
   410. Howie Menckel Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5699994)
fresh blood?
Michael Bloomberg, a mere 76, mulling a 2020 Presidential run. as a Democrat. about time someone with NYC roots might get a chance!
   411. perros Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:34 PM (#5699996)
   412. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:34 PM (#5699997)

I really don't think charities should exist forever. If it is a charity, you should give out the money to the cause. A lot of charities seem to be in the business of keeping a bureaucracy going, giving out 5% of the endowment. If they were forced to pay it out quicker, the goal of helping the cause would be fulfilled.
"The Red Cross should shut down every ten years" seems pretty crazy to me. (Or the American Cancer Society, the ACLU, Cornell University, or Temple Sholom, for that matter.)

Now, a subset of charities -- private foundations -- are required to distribute 5% of their assets each year. (They can exist in perpetuity only by earning more than 5% return.)
   413. perros Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:35 PM (#5699998)
Michael Bloomberg

Hail Mithras!
   414. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5699999)
But while I've got you on the phone, do you think the IRS should start trying to go after every every non-filing person? Should the IRS have agents all over the country who can stop people at upscale restaurants and demand to see their tax returns? Would you be comfortable with funding the IRS to the point where they could do random audits on 20% of the population, or 100% of millionaires?

As much as it pains me to cut DJS any slack, my guess is that he's more on the side that says we don't need to root out illegal immigrants wherever they may hide, but if we run across one, we may as well deport him.

That'd probably be my assumption, but again, my original question/comment was directed at David.

The IRS and state taxing authorities don't so much practice selective enforcement as it does somewhat random enforcement (within certain parameters). It's not a perfect parallel, but the idea is that they possibility of enforcement is enough to deter tax cheats. And certainly in the course of a sales tax audit, an auditor may come across other taxpayers that are not in compliance, and they often choose to audit and not to audit*. There aren't the resources to prosecute every violation. Again, not a perfect parallel, because an audit takes a long time, and the taxing authority may not get anything out of it (sometime those of us that defend audits even find refunds).

Still, it takes time to process and deport someone, so even if the authorities "luck" into an undocumented immigrant delivering a pizza, my personal preference would be for them to see if there are any warrants out or history of violent acts, and if not, save your resources for expelling someone truly a threat to civil society. The problem is that while auditors are typically 9to5ers with accounting degrees that want a job that, despite low pay, provides excellent security and benefits, while ICE seems to attract authoritarian a-holes like a light attracts a moth.

You've hit the nail on the head with that last sentence, especially the last 12 words. I'm not sure why an agency that's but 16 years old and overrun with authoritarian types is considered so sacrosanct.
   415. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5700003)
Around 50% of the Supreme Court's decisions are unanimous. So far this term, the two most senior Justices appointed by presidents from each party (Kennedy & Ginsburg) have agreed on 65% of the cases, and only one pair of Justices have agreed on less than half of the case (Alito & Sotomayor, 48%).

All that's about as relevant as saying that Upper West Side and Staten Island Yankees fans agree that the Red Sox are an Evil Empire. Doesn't say much about what those two subsets of Yankees fans likely think about politics.
   416. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5700014)
Michael Bloomberg, a mere 76, mulling a 2020 Presidential run. as a Democrat. about time someone with NYC roots might get a chance!

Mentioned this last week - he's committed 80 million to congressional Democrats in what is an obvious play for juice.

That said, good luck with that. I have a real hard time seeing where he finds any kind of constituency in a Democratic primary. But as I said when mentioning it - I would suggest he add a zero to his spend to see if that moves the needle.
   417. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5700018)
Slate's legal coverage jumped the shark well over a decade ago, so I generally avoid it, but one of its contributors linked to his latest on his blog, so for those interested - Did Justice Kennedy Just Signal His Retirement?
For Anthony Kennedy, America’s most powerful jurist, this term has brought unexpected and surprising expressions of powerlessness. After Tuesday’s ruling in the Trump travel ban case, it’s starting to feel like the end of his time on the court is near.

Rumors about Justice Kennedy’s retirement from the Supreme Court have circulated for well over a year, with the common one being that he was prepared to retire last year and some force—maybe norm-bashing President Donald Trump—stopped him. But something feels different this term.

First there were the punts in the partisan gerrymandering and cake-making cases. Let’s start with the redistricting case. For the last 14 years, Kennedy has called upon litigants to come up with some standard to help the court separate permissible from impermissible consideration of party in redistricting. The court this term granted two different partisan gerrymandering cases: one with a Republican gerrymander and one with a Democratic gerrymander; one involving state legislative districts and the other involving congressional districts; and one with an equal protection theory and the other with Kennedy’s favorite, a First Amendment theory.

The author seems to be projecting his own views on to Justice Kennedy, who was in the majority in all the cases mentioned in the excerpt, one of which was unanimous and another decided 7-2. If Justice Kennedy retires at the end of this term, it likely has more to do with his age and 30+ years of SCOTUS service, rather than any imagined dissatisfaction with his own jurisprudence.
   418. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5700023)
That said, good luck with that. I have a real hard time seeing where he finds any kind of constituency in a Democratic primary.
More than he would in a GOP primary, that's for sure.

(I'm talking about overall -- not in NYC.)
   419. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5700033)
More than he would in a GOP primary, that's for sure.

Not sure I'd agree with that.

I mean... there's guns.... but - I think anyone drawn to that is going to be repelled by "stop and frisk".

Rich guy associated with Wall Street?

We'll never know - but actually, my bet is that he'd get more votes in a GOP primary than he would/will in a Democratic primary.
   420. GregD Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5700046)
We'll never know - but actually, my bet is that he'd get more votes in a GOP primary than he would/will in a Democratic primary.
I would take that bet. I doubt he does well at all in the Dem primaries but I think he'd be close to zero in the Republican primary. Climate change. Guns. Gay marriage. THE SODA TAX! He's basically the embodiment of what the Republican Party despises.

For Democrats I think he's a standard left-center voice of reason guy with a lot of money. But I agree with you that I don't think Democrats will nominate one of them, and if they do I think it will be someone who excites the base for some other reason like identity or some high-profile particular issue.

I bet he will poll well among newspaper columnists though
   421. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5700049)

Well, as you say, we'll never know. And making predictions is hard, especially about the future. But a pro-choice anti-gun nanny state guy? Just don't see it.
   422. zenbitz Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5700060)
Real life effects of Travel Ban and other immigration nonsense.

Had an engineer here give notice. His wife, who works as an Engineer for Abbot in LA was denied her visa. So she is going back to India, and him with her.
We got an email from a post doc at Stanford about a guy who told us"... I've been working with this candidate since 2014 on bioinformatics and computational biology projects, and he's hands down the best Python developer that I've ever met.

The Catch: He's Iranian, and currently in Iran. So, no possibility of a visa.

There is another Iranian woman in our building, PH D. Research Associate. She just when back to Tehran to visit her family. Hope they let her back in.

"Only the best people".
   423. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5700062)
Well, as you say, we'll never know. And making predictions is hard, especially about the future. But a pro-choice anti-gun nanny state guy? Just don't see it.

I would take that bet. I doubt he does well at all in the Dem primaries but I think he'd be close to zero in the Republican primary. Climate change. Guns. Gay marriage. THE SODA TAX! He's basically the embodiment of what the Republican Party despises.

For Democrats I think he's a standard left-center voice of reason guy with a lot of money. But I agree with you that I don't think Democrats will nominate one of them, and if they do I think it will be someone who excites the base for some other reason like identity or some high-profile particular issue.

I bet he will poll well among newspaper columnists though

Except you're forgetting who his "base" actually is.

Namely - well-to-do urbanites and affluent suburbans.

Unless you're saying that those folks have drifted over to be nominal Democrats... They're the sort of who tend to be pretty squishy on guns - i.e., they tsk-tsk urban crime coverage, but live in enclaves where the police are more likely to stop a car that looks out of place than they are to be saying "I wish I had a gun because I'm still waiting for the police". Likewise, stop-and-frisk is not going to rank on their concerns.

Gay marriage and abortion? Many of them probably don't care much either way - clinic availability isn't a big concern and I suspect that they're ultimately the gay marriage tipping point back when anyway.

The "nanny state" stuff? Not the sort of folks who notice or care about soda taxes.

RINOS and DINOS... which are there more of, I guess.
   424. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5700065)
RINOS and DINOS... which are there more of, I guess.

I mostly agree, but I don't know how many of those folks vote in primaries. So it is not just raw numbers.

But as everyone has said we will never know.
   425. perros Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5700066)

some high-profile particular issue.

UBI, for instance.
   426. perros Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5700068)
But you know, a billionaire 80-year-old is likely to outlast the country at the going rate.
   427. GordonShumway Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5700070)
Speaking of NYC mayors looking to run for POTUS, what do people think of De Blasio's chances of being POTUS? I'd hate for him to be POTUS, but I think he has a good shot at winning the Dem primary. And if the economy's bad in 2020, he has a good shot at beating Cheeto Benito.
   428. perros Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:53 PM (#5700071)
He's a ####### moron. Perfect.
   429. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5700072)
"Only the best people".

"When Iran sends us their PhDs, they're not sending us their best PhDs."
   430. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 04:59 PM (#5700074)
In some further Inmate No. 45343 news -

The Virginia judge who briefly became a Trumpkin hero when he expressed some Mueller skepticism over a motion to dismiss has given in to the Deep State and ordered the case forward.

Rumor has it, he was seen dining with Pete Strozk, James Comey, Robby Mook, Rod Rosenstein, James Clapper, and George Papadopolous' attorneys last night in what sources describe as a "Deep State Initiation Dinner".

At this time, sources cannot confirm how much uranium he received in payment.
   431. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5700076)

Speaking of NYC mayors looking to run for POTUS, what do people think of De Blasio's chances of being POTUS?
About the same as mine.
   432. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5700079)
Speaking of NYC mayors looking to run for POTUS, what do people think of De Blasio's chances of being POTUS? I'd hate for him to be POTUS, but I think he has a good shot at winning the Dem primary. And if the economy's bad in 2020, he has a good shot at beating Cheeto Benito.

Zero.

I mean, I don't think I see him taking votes from any of the Bookers, Harrises, etc.

I think if we ever see a blue metro mayor win the Presidency - the better money is probably either Corey Booker or Gavin Newsom.

Unless Trump actually threw out the rule book for everyone - I think any Democratic mayor who wants to be President first needs to find him or herself a Senate seat or a Governor's mansion.
   433. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5700080)

The Virginia judge who briefly became a Trumpkin hero when he expressed some Mueller skepticism over a motion to dismiss has given in to the Deep State and ordered the case forward.
As I said before, I don't know a darn thing about Ellis; he's far outside my geographic locale of practice. But after that Manafort hearing, several lawyers who do have experience with him said that Ellis has a pattern of making defense counsel happy at argument by giving prosecutors a hard time -- but then when his decisions actually come down, said defense lawyers are no longer happy.
   434. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5700084)
Rumor has it, he was seen dining with Pete Strozk, James Comey, Robby Mook, Rod Rosenstein, James Clapper, and George Papadopolous' attorneys last night in what sources describe as a "Deep State Initiation Dinner".

Your lack of (((Soros))) exposes you as a third-rate troll.
   435. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5700086)
Your lack of (((Soros))) exposes you as a third-rate troll.

Or does it demonstrate that I recognize his ability to shape shift, appear at will, and then just as quickly disappear into a puff of smoke when he's needed elsewhere to round people up for the FEMA camps?
   436. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5700087)
Ooooh he's good.
   437. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5700088)
JE kept telling people to wait for the IG report and then the report came out and as expected the report was largely about criticizig the FBI for being unfair to Clinton. This is proof the Mueller investigation is rotten!
LMAO. Even your new little buddy, David French, admitted after reviewing the IG report on MYE that the FBI was indeed out to get Trump -- but shot wide and hit Hillary instead.
   438. GregD Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5700089)
I think if we ever see a blue metro mayor win the Presidency - the better money is probably either Corey Booker or Gavin Newsom.

Unless Trump actually threw out the rule book for everyone - I think any Democratic mayor who wants to be President first needs to find him or herself a Senate seat or a Governor's mansion.

Who knows? But I wonder if service in Washington will be much of a plus. I think the "time for a change" impulse will be strong though some short-term DC residents (like Harris) could, like Obama, claim that mantle from the Senate.

Garcetti seems like a legit candidate, possibly with financial support. I doubt that Mitch Landrieu gets anywhere. Pete Buttigieg is sounding out running but seems hard to imagine getting traction. But I'd put all three of them and just about every other Democratic mayor above de Blasio.
   439. BDC Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5700091)
Garcetti seems like a legit candidate

That's going to depend on how he handles Clay Davis.
   440. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:31 PM (#5700093)
Judge Ellis today:

The wisdom of allowing all links between individuals associated with President Trump's campaign and the Russian government to be subject to investigation, irrespective of how stale those connections might be, is seriously in doubt.

Specifically, the charges against defendant are intended to induce defendant to cooperate with the Special Counsel by providing evidence against the President or other members of the campaign. Although these kinds of high-pressure prosecutorial tactics are neither uncommon nor illegal, they are distasteful.

In the end, both Congress and members of both political parties reached the sound conclusion that the 1978 Act and its reauthorization should be allowed to expire, as the Act had come to be a tool for pursuing partisan agendas rather than a means of assuring accountability in government by prosecuting crimes committed by high-ranking officials. That lesson, it seems, has been forgotten.

Although this case will continue, those involved should be sensitive to the danger unleashed when political disagreements are transformed into partisan prosecutions.
Emphasis mine.

Ouch.

Translation: Ellis' hands were tied but he makes crystal clear his view of the Mueller probe. Let's just say he's not at all impressed.
   441. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5700094)
Trump ####### with the NOAA really pisses me off. POS anti science party.
   442. Shredder Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5700097)
Good thing Brave Sir Mitch has some muscle to fight his battles for him.
   443. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5700101)
Co-owner of The Red Hen steps down as executive director of Main Street Lexington:
LEXINGTON, Va. (WDBJ7) -- Stephanie Wilkinson has chosen to resign as executive director of Main Street Lexington.

Wilkinson is the co-owner of The Red Hen restaurant in Lexington and is the person who asked White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave the restaurant due to her political affiliation.

Elizabeth Outland Branner, Board President of Main Street Lexington, says she accepted the resignation of Wilkinson as the executive director of Main Street Lexington.
This was inevitable. The Lexington business community doesn't need a divisive figure in a leadership position.
   444. Shredder Posted: June 26, 2018 at 05:54 PM (#5700102)
Main Street Lexington is a volunteer-based organization which helps to enhance and promote Downtown Lexington.
Imagine the horror and humiliation of having to step down from a volunteer based nonprofit organized to promote commerce in a town of roughly 7,000 that 98% of the population had never even heard of before this weekend. How will she ever recover?

ETA: Hilarious that Jason felt the need to edit out his own snark. Rumors are circulating that she may also need to step down from being the person that brings orange slices to her daughter's soccer games. Actions have consequences, right Jason? I mean, presumably the response from the rest of the members of Main Street Lexington was "Oh, crap, I hope they don't ask me to be in charge of this thing."
   445. Sit down, Sleepy has lots of stats Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5700107)
I mean, presumably the response from the rest of the members of Main Street Lexington was "Oh, crap, I hope they don't ask me to be in charge of this thing."
I think it's cute that Jason pretends to have any idea what "the Lexington business community" needs.
   446. dlf Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:05 PM (#5700108)
Translation: Ellis' hands were tied but he makes crystal clear his view of the Mueller probe. Let's just say he's not at all impressed.

Interesting reading. I don't share your opinion on how to translate. I went through it and thought that he made clear that this is a wholly appropriate action:

The May 17 Appointment Order does not limit the Special Counsel’s prosecution authority to federal crimes concerning election interference or collusion; rather, the Special Counsel is authorized to prosecute federal crimes that arise out of his authorized investigation. And the crimes charged in the Superseding Indictment clearly arise out of the Special Counsel’s investigation into the payments defendant allegedly received from Russian-backed leaders and pro-Russian political officials. Specifically, the Special Counsel “followed the money” paid by pro-Russian officials to defendant, and as a result, claimed to have found evidence that defendant was deliberately hiding these payments from U.S. authorities by disguising the payments as loans from offshore corporate entities and by depositing the payments in offshore accounts and using those accounts to make payments to purchase and to make improvements to U.S. real estate. See Superseding Indictment ¶ 2. Based on this, the Special Counsel charged defendant with subscribing to false tax returns, failing to report foreign bank accounts, bank fraud, and conspiracy to commit bank fraud.

In sum, ¶ (b)(i) of the May 17 Appointment Order makes clear that the Special Counsel’s investigation into the payments defendant received from Russian-backed Ukrainian officials was authorized because the investigation involved potential links between a Trump campaign official — the defendant — and the Russian government via the Russian-backed Ukrainian President. The May 17 Appointment Order also confirms that the Special Counsel was authorized to prosecute the crimes alleged in the Superseding Indictment because evidence of these alleged crimes was uncovered as part of the Special Counsel’s aforementioned investigation. Given that defendant concedes that the Acting Attorney General appropriately exercised his authority in authorizing this jurisdiction in the May 17 Appointment Order, defendant’s argument for dismissal of the Superseding Indictment is unpersuasive.

I also like the admonition, fitting for more than just the Special Counsel, that,

This case is a reminder that ultimately, our system of checks and balances and limitations on each branch’s powers, although exquisitely designed, ultimately works only if people of virtue, sensitivity, and courage, not affected by the winds of public opinion, choose to work within the confines of the law.

Good thing that we don't have anyone in the Executive Branch who voices the belief that we should take action without (so called) judges and courts, ignoring those checks and balances.
   447. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:07 PM (#5700111)
This was inevitable. The Lexington business community doesn't need a divisive figure in a leadership position.

The Washington business community, OTOH.....
   448. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:11 PM (#5700115)
Interesting reading. I don't share your opinion on how to translate. I went through it and thought that he made clear that this is a wholly appropriate action:
Shrug. "Wholly appropriate" neither contradicts Ellis' "distasteful" comment nor the other sentences I blockquoted.
   449. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:18 PM (#5700117)
Shrug.

Translation: On to the next footnote!
   450. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:27 PM (#5700120)
More than 100 politicians have been murdered in Mexico ahead of Sunday’s election:
More than 100 politicians in Mexico have been killed since September in the lead-up to the country’s election this Sunday, and more than 13,000 Mexicans have been killed since January.
Damn.

Odds that Trump mentions this CNBC headline by morning?
   451. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:35 PM (#5700122)
Trump and his fans can take as much comfort from Judge Ellis' soft admonishments today while giving Mueller everything as immigration advocates can take from Justice Kennedy's tut-tutting about discretion today while giving Trump everything.
   452. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:37 PM (#5700124)
Hilarious that Jason felt the need to edit out his own snark.

What I find extra-hilarious is that - only highlighted more by their more recent bromance - SBB and Juannity almost certainly do this sort of thing more than everyone else combined.

Who knows, maybe one is just a sock puppet of the other, IDK.

Most people edit to add cokes or correct typos (I know that I, in particular, let my line of thought get ahead of my typing and have a really unfortunate habit of missing a typed negative - not/n't/etc - leading to some obvious contradictions I don't intend).

But alone among the primates, they (he?) make more substantive edits than everybody else combined... I don't get that - if your exact phrasing means so much, then simply review/edit before hitting submit.

453. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5700127)
More tariffs!

Coincidentally - or actually, not so coincidentally - I've been wrestling with the idea of buying a new car or not.

I'm leaning strongly no - while the new job has forced me to trek to an office more than I'd like, I'm still far from dealing with a daily commute. Mine runs fine, I guess - but it's seen better days and any serious repair item would be not worth the bother.

If I had to do the gas-brake-honk twice a day, five days a week - I probably would... but I don't.

It's a conundrum...
   454. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:48 PM (#5700128)

I basically agree with Jason on this point. As a legal matter, he makes it clear that Manafort's arguments have less than zero merit. (That was inevitable, because... it was obvious that Manafort's arguments have less than zero merit. It was pure wishcasting on the part of Trumpkins to have thought that Manafort was going to derail the prosecution with these things.)

But there's a bunch of editorializing in there -- most of which I think is inappropriate for a judge, FWIW -- in which he expresses disdain for the current situation.
   455. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:53 PM (#5700131)
What I find extra-hilarious is that - only highlighted more by their more recent bromance - SBB and Juannity almost certainly do this sort of thing more than everyone else combined.
What I find extra-special hilarious is that you think editing one's comment is somehow a cause for derision. I'd rather perfect 100 comments than let stand pretty much anything you've written here of late.
Trump and his fans can take as much comfort from Judge Ellis' soft admonishments today while giving Mueller everything as immigration advocates can take from Justice Kennedy's tut-tutting about discretion today while giving Trump everything.
Snicker away but, to the best of my knowledge, no one here and no one I follow elsewhere predicted Ellis would grant the Manafort team's motion.
   456. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5700135)
Poor Inmate No. 45343....

The line between irrelevant coffee fetcher who had nothing to with the Trump campaign he managed and hero of the #Persistence, martyr of the political prisoners, and witch hunt victim is such a fine one.

457. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:12 PM (#5700142)
Good thing Brave Sir Mitch has some muscle to fight his battles for him.

It will probably come as a surprise to some here, but liberals are not going to win any elections by kicking Trump staff or GOP office-holders out of restaurants, threatening their families, or harassing their supporters. The Red Guard phase of the Democratic Party is likely to end badly.
   458. SY Ruined School Lunches! Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:16 PM (#5700144)
If Republicans weren’t such wimps, they could just do town halls and deal with these people there. Democrats spent all of 2010 being screamed at by gun toting freaks, I guess civility wasn’t such a big deal back then.
   459. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:17 PM (#5700147)
It will probably come as a surprise to some here, but liberals are not going to win any elections by kicking Trump staff or GOP office-holders out of restaurants, threatening their families, or harassing their supporters. The Red Guard phase of the Democratic Party is likely to end badly.
Chasing Trump administration women out of restaurants and theaters and down the block is a great look. Of course, the protestors are fortunate that the media would care far moire if liberal women were being berated. Then it would be the Handmaid's Tale X1000.
   460. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:21 PM (#5700152)

“We’d like to work with you, but you people are being so shrill.”
   461. BDC Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:21 PM (#5700153)
liberals are not going to win any elections by kicking Trump staff or GOP office-holders out of restaurants

Trump supporters are tough as nails when there are ####ies to be grabbed or children to be separated from their parents, but tell them to leave a restaurant and they apparently faint dead away :)
   462. SY Ruined School Lunches! Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:23 PM (#5700154)
Absolutely incredible that Trump supporters are lecturing people about civility. This is such an unbelievable time to be alive.
   463. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:24 PM (#5700155)
The only thing that heartens me about the prospects of living through Trumpdom is that for all the tough talk his followers are typically fat impotent blowhards like him.
   464. SY Ruined School Lunches! Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5700156)
The only thing that heartens me about the prospects of living through Trumpdom is that for All the tough talk his followers are fat impotent blowhards like him.
Yes, the immediate switch from "triggering snowflakes" and \"#### your feelings" to full blown crying about people being mean is incredible.

The core trait of Trumpism is being a coward, all the blowhard #### is just covering for that.
   465. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5700158)
Democrats spent all of 2010 being screamed at by gun toting freaks,
There was only one seen on camera at a protest (NOT a town hall) -- and MSNBC edited the photo so that you wouldn't know the owner was (gasp!) African-American. Sad!
I guess civility wasn’t such a big deal back then.
Getting in one's face during his or her private time is exponentially more uncivil.
   466. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5700161)
Absolutely incredible that Trump supporters are lecturing people about civility. This is such an unbelievable time to be alive.
Indeed, it's absolutely incredible that your antics result in the public increasingly sympathizing with the Cult45s, not to mention other Republicans.
   467. McCoy Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:33 PM (#5700163)
   468. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:33 PM (#5700164)
Trump supporters are tough as nails when there are ####ies to be grabbed or children to be separated from their parents, but tell them to leave a restaurant and they apparently faint dead away :)
I don’t mind snark (duh), but I do mind snark that is utterly nonresponsive.

If you won’t believe YC, perhaps someone to his left can make the point:
Couldn’t disagree more with @MaxineWaters. Disgusted with this admin’s policies? Organize, donate, volunteer, VOTE! Rousting Cabinet members from restaurants is an empty and, ultimately, counter-productive gesture that won’t change a thing.
   469. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:34 PM (#5700165)
Juan’s such a sad little snowflake. Did you know he put me on ignore because I said mean things about Vinny Barbarino?
   470. dlf Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:35 PM (#5700167)
But there's a bunch of editorializing in there -- most of which I think is inappropriate for a judge, FWIW -- in which he expresses disdain for the current situation.

On the larger point, I agree that there is a *lot* of dicta here which I think is inappropriate. The entire first 9 pages are a history lesson on Special Counsel under prior statutory schemes and subsequent non-statutory process. The he goes on to state, "Given that the Special Counsel was authorized to investigate and to prosecute this matter pursuant to ¶ (b)(i) ... that conclusion is dispositive and defendant’s arguments with respect to ¶ (b)(ii) ... need not be addressed. But they are addressed for purposes of completeness."

It seems that the advent of the word-processor has increased the likelihood of lengthy decisions and inclusion of matters not necessary for the findings of fact or conclusions of law. (Highly publicized cases can lead to showboating from judges as well, but having read none of Ellis' other opinions, I have no basis to believe that played a role here.) Three decades back, I clerked for a federal judge who was appointed in 1966. He repeatedly drove home his belief that a decision should be as short as possible and only address the issues that had to be reached. I only wish I followed that instruction in my posts here.

As to the more narrow question of whether Manafort and DJT supporters should take comfort from that dicta ... well, I focus more on the actual conclusions than some throwaway lines:

Thus, the only issue is whether the Special Counsel’s investigation and prosecution of the matters contained in the Superseding Indictment falls within the valid grant of jurisdiction contained in ¶ b(i) of the May 17 Appointment Order. It does; the Special Counsel’s investigation of defendant falls squarely within the jurisdiction outlined in ¶ b(i) of the May 17 Appointment Order, and because ¶ b(i) was an appropriate grant of authority, there is no basis for dismissal of the Superseding Indictment on this ground. Specifically, in the May 17 Appointment Order, the Acting Attorney General authorized the Special Counsel to investigate, among other things, “any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump … .” May 17 Appointment Order ¶ (b)(i). It is undisputed that defendant is an “individual[] associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump[;]” indeed, defendant served as the chairman of President Donald Trump’s campaign from March 2016 until August 2016. Moreover, the Special Counsel’s investigation focused on potential links between defendant and the Russian government. In particular, the Special Counsel investigated defendant’s political consulting work on behalf of, and receipt of substantial payments from, then-President Victor Yanukovych of the Ukraine and the Party of Regions, Yanukovych’s proRussian political party in the Ukraine. See Superseding Indictment ¶¶ 10-11. To be sure, history is replete with evidence of the existing and longstanding antagonism between the Ukraine and Russia. Indeed, armed conflict in the eastern Ukraine is still underway.19 Nonetheless, the fact that the Yanukovych was a strongly pro-Russian President warranted the investigation here. The fact that the Russian government did not make payments to defendant directly is not determinative because the text of the May 17 Appointment Order authorizes investigation of “any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump.” May 17 Appointment Order ¶ (b)(i) (emphasis added).20 Given that, as the Supreme Court has recognized, the term “any” “has an expansive meaning, that is, ‘one or some indiscriminately of whatever kind[,]’”21 the May 17 Appointment Order plainly authorizes the investigation of indirect links between Trump campaign officials and the Russian government in addition to more direct connections. In this regard, the May 17 Appointment Order authorizes the Special Counsel to investigate defendant’s ties with individuals financially and politically supported by the Russian government, even where, as here, those individuals are not themselves members of the Russian government.

Edit: to the style, not substance
   471. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:37 PM (#5700168)
Couldn’t disagree more with @MaxineWaters. Disgusted with this admin’s policies? Organize, donate, volunteer, VOTE! Rousting Cabinet members from restaurants is an empty and, ultimately, counter-productive gesture that won’t change a thing.

I see the commentariat doesn’t seem too impressed with this line of argument.
   472. Howie Menckel Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:37 PM (#5700169)

Philly.com
‏Verified account @phillydotcom
2m2 minutes ago

Columnist @Will_Bunch had this to say on the current political climate: "(Bleep) civility! 'Trump-shaming' is what happens when elites won't listen to the people."
   473. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:38 PM (#5700171)
The nice Trump voters acting civil.
Whatabout Man (Again) Caught Whatabouting. Film at 11.
   474. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:41 PM (#5700173)
“No Juanabout, no Juanabout. You Juanabout!”
   475. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:41 PM (#5700174)
Snicker away but, to the best of my knowledge, no one here and no one I follow elsewhere predicted Ellis would grant the Manafort team's motion.
Now, that’s certainly not true. Trumpkins’ hearts were all aflutter over some mild skepticism expressed by Ellis in court. Large swathes of people were convinced the prosecution was goin to be blocked. (I had to keep explaining that even if the motion were granted, it wouldn’t mean the indictment would be dismissed; it would just mean the USAO-EDVA would take over.)
   476. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:50 PM (#5700180)
On the larger point, I agree that there is a *lot* of dicta here which I think is inappropriate. The entire first 9 pages are a history lesson on Special Counsel under prior statutory schemes and subsequent non-statutory process.
Yes; I rolled my eyes when I slogged through that part of the opinion. It’s like someone did a lot of research and they were determined it wasn’t going to go to waste. I don’t think it’s inappropriate in the same way that his opining on the wisdom of the current system was, but it was completely unnecessary.

The short version — Manafort’s arguments have no factual merit, in that Mueller was authorized to prosecute this, and they have no legal merit, in that the regulations he was relying on gave him no actual rights — could’ve been about five pages total, and hit all the necessary points.
   477. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:53 PM (#5700183)
BTW, someone earlier (count?) offered up a big-whoopity-doo in response to Chief Justice Roberts' formal overturning of Korematsu but, IIRC, that awful decision had managed to stand for 75 years. So maybe give a modicum of credit where it's due?
   478. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 07:54 PM (#5700184)
Trumpkins’ hearts were all aflutter over some mild skepticism expressed by Ellis in court.
Where were you explaining this? At work? On board NJ Transit? At the pool?

Admittedly, I don't keep an eye on more than a handful of them -- and none predicted Ellis would dismiss.
   479. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 08:20 PM (#5700193)
Oh noes! Muh civilities!

Well, fortunately, Trumpkin snowflakes - Democrats are here for you.

If your home address gets targeted and a gas line cut, Tom Perriello (or more accurately, his brother, whose address was posted by a local tea party group in error -- 'corrected', with a statement of "oh well, collateral damage") knows someone who can fix it.

John Lewis can recommend a great dry cleaner to get spit out of suit jackets.

Barney Frank might be able to recommend a therapist if someone screams faggot at you.

Can't help you with any better recommendations for cheese plates though.

480. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 08:23 PM (#5700195)

It was obvious from the beginning, to anyone with half a clue, that whatever Ellis's statements in court that were fire breathed by the hard right, Ellis was always going to rule this way. The case was never going to go away on the basis of this argument; at best it would be picked up by different prosecutors.

Ouch.

Translation: That and 50 cents is worth 50 cents.

481. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 08:30 PM (#5700198)
As to the notaban case, as was clear from the beginning the vulnerability of the challenge to the executive order -- even if Ilya Somin was too emotionally invested in the case to see it -- was the idea that lower courts can so heavily rely on campaign statements and tweets rather than on the traditional record.
   482. McCoy Posted: June 26, 2018 at 08:41 PM (#5700202)
Whatabout Man (Again) Caught Whatabouting. Film at 11.

That's the best you got? How many strawman posts about mean old liberals not letting Sarah Sanders get her entree? Meanwhile when actual documented racism is happening it is chalked about as meaningless ### for tat?

Is it meaningless that Sanders was asked to leave and the DHS secretary got heckled at a Mexican restaurant? Yes. Is it out of line? No. Is it okay for people to spew racism at their fellow man? No. Is it out of line? Yes. What should we focus on? The executive branch's ability to eat a meal in public or for our fellow men and women to travel throughout America without fear of racism?
   483. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 08:49 PM (#5700205)
Primaries...

SC is the only one with polls closed - and while it looks like Henry McMaster is on his way to victory, the margin (looks to be in the 10-15 pt range) seems pretty tepid to me. Especially considering the dude has the "honor" of being the first elected official on the Trump train way back when, IIRC.

Obviously, a very uphill battle for Jim Smith - but he seems like a quality candidate and frankly, while it would have been momentarily fun for McMaster to lose after Trump's... whatever... last night - McMaster is probably the better opponent. Longtime career politician, beaten up pretty good by his primary opponent about that. Plus - McMaster (or his administration) has some serious corruption problems.
   484. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 26, 2018 at 08:55 PM (#5700208)
Is it meaningless that Sanders was asked to leave and the DHS secretary got heckled at a Mexican restaurant? Yes. Is it out of line? No. Is it okay for people to spew racism at their fellow man? No. Is it out of line? Yes. What should we focus on? The executive branch's ability to eat a meal in public or for our fellow men and women to travel throughout America without fear of racism?

Not to mention that neither JE nor Clapper have ONCE called out Trump for the racist he's been for his entire lifetime. Not once. Talk about laughable double standards.
   485. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:00 PM (#5700210)
McCoy,

Since you're the restaurant man, have you read Kitchen Confidential? If you have, what do you think of it?

I read it when it came out and I'm about halfway through it again now, and it's been a sheer pleasure, especially the chapters "From Our Kitchen to Your Table", "Bigfoot", and "What I Know About Meat". It's been a nice break from history and baseball books.
   486. McCoy Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:10 PM (#5700215)
I liked it when it first came out. I was in a cynical mood back then (I know, right?) and his complaints were similar to mine. I didn't agree with it all (like for instance seafood and Sunday buffets) but it did show a side of the culinary world that at the time nobody was talking about. I recall the What I know about Meat chapter and thought it was a humorous anecdote. The my stuff is better than your stuff at home because chapter was kind of empty akin to nowadays silly buzzfeed like "Hacks" type lists.

Overall I think everything he says in the book can be found in the culinary world and is or was rather common so it is a rather truthful and breezy little book on the kitchens of NYC. Unfortunately like all other successes it breeds a lot of mediocre or worse imitators.

Cleaning out my stuff in my parents' garage I did come across my old food books and baseball books. My mom wouldn't let me get rid of the cookbooks so she kept them but all the non-cookbook food books and all of my baseball books are getting donated and or getting sold off to some used bookstore my mom knows. Kitchen Confidential was one of the books that is getting donated. I thought about bringing it back with me and reading it again but I decided if I wanted to do that I'll just download it.
   487. McCoy Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:15 PM (#5700217)
Body found in a freezer at SunTrust Park today. Anyone heard from Sam?
   488. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:26 PM (#5700225)
Primaries...
Don't look now, kids, but an Eric Cantor-sized upset is brewing in Queens and the Bronx...
   489. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:32 PM (#5700231)
Harry Enten:
Folks, this could be THE upset in the making this primary season. Joe Crowley is down 16 points with 43% of the vote in. This is no drill. This could really be happening.
This sucks because Crowley's a really good guy and I had once hoped he would succeed Pelosi.

The inmates are taking over your party, fellas.
   490. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:32 PM (#5700232)
McMaster called in SC - but sure looks underwhelming to me... single digit (albeit close to 10 pts) lead, called with 85% in.

Meanwhile, Michael Grimm is getting crushed in NY.

Like I said, lots of Dem primaries - none of which I know well - but progressives are ecstatic that some underdogs look like they might topple longtime Dems in safe blue districts. Joe Crowley in particular looks like he's in deep trouble. A 28 yo activist that has gotten a ton of prog love - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will become the youngest member of Congress (I don't think the GOP even has a candidate, it's something like a D+30 district).

491. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:34 PM (#5700233)
Not to mention that neither JE nor Clapper have ONCE called out Trump for the racist he's been for his entire lifetime.
Scream louder, Andy. Not everyone out in Gaithersburg heard you clearly.
   492. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:34 PM (#5700234)
The inmates are taking over your party, fellas.

Worked for the GOP in 2010... I'll worry about what comes afterwards when the time comes.
   493. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:39 PM (#5700238)
Worked for the GOP in 2010... I'll worry about what comes afterwards when the time comes.

I guess I am not clear on what the warning is. People lose primaries. I mean maybe it is a crime against humanity; is the guy who won a Child Molester? Are they an actual Nazi? Did a bunch of people die in their coal mine because of their negligence? Some other conviction?

No wait, those are all on the other side (though I admit Coal guy did lose his primary, so well done I guess).
   494. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:43 PM (#5700241)
Body found in a freezer at SunTrust Park today. Anyone heard from Sam?
Are you implying that he is the body, or that he's responsible for the body?
   495. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:44 PM (#5700243)
I have a couple good kitchen stories, worked in them from age 14-22 and put in some pretty long hours sometimes, pulling doubles and ####. Sometimes I'd even do front of the house for one shift then back of the house the next. I was the odd dude that liked to slum it with the kitchen staff then get all prettied up and pretend I cared about the old money types I was serving front of the house. Better money in the front of the house, and you can just ogle the wait staff all the time instead of when they are waiting for the food to be plated.

Anyways, at one place I worked the chef like to do a little "extracurricular" activity in the walk in. This was well known among the staff but somehow had escaped the regional (it was operated by a high end area resort) management. Until one day that is when somehow word was sent (probably from some disgruntled prep cook) that if the manager walked in at the right time he'd find the chef in the walk in in a compromising position. Sure enough, not only was he in there with a waitress, he was smoking a bowl and blowing it out the exhaust vent. I doubt they would have done much if not for the weed, but he was promptly fired.

Second story is that the restaurant kept a tap downstairs for private parties. Usually a keg was always hooked up but there wasn't a party every night. Around closing time we'd go down into the basement (and all of us were under 21) and pour ourselves a few pitchers to take back up as we cleaned. This most have went on all summer until finally some client complained that the keg they bought seemed to run out a little early. Well no #### we poured about 20 beers from it last night!

Also, the restaurant, as part of the regional resort, sent in their linens to the central cleaning next town over. You had to push the linen cart up the ramp and usually it was no big deal, the linens, even a huge soiled cart, didn't weigh that much. Well one time one of the busers decided to grab a huge ass rock from the beach, carry it all the way up to the smoke break / dumpster area and bury it in the botton of the line cart. We were all out back on break when the linen guy came to grab it and watched him struggle with it the entire time trying not to laugh too hard.

The other thing I remember is using the 30 minute break to try and score weed and coming back energetic and hyped as hell when we could. As a young kid nothing is better than walking out of a restaurant at 11pm with a handful of cash, a couple of the wait staff, and an offer of a bowl in exchange for a booze purchase and maybe something more. man those were the days!
   496. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:48 PM (#5700247)
Not to mention that neither JE nor Clapper have ONCE called out Trump for the racist he's been for his entire lifetime.

Scream louder, Andy. Not everyone out in Gaithersburg heard you clearly.

I'd settle for you being able to whisper an acknowledgement of Trump's racism onto your keyboard.

But just to be clear: It's perfectly normal for you and Clapper to remain completely silent for the past 17 months in the face of Trump's continuing racist provocations and insults, but we're obliged to weigh in with indignation when Sarah Sanders gets a free meal at a restaurant?

But yeah, I'd also be embarrassed to say something like that, so I can see why you keep avoiding the subject. You and Sarah have a lot in common.
   497. Zonk is Back Where He Came From Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:51 PM (#5700249)
I guess I am not clear on what the warning is. People lose primaries. I mean maybe it is a crime against humanity; is the guy who won a Child Molester? Are they an actual Nazi? Did a bunch of people die in their coal mine because of their negligence? Some other conviction?

It's a woman that knocked off Crowley. I don't know much about her, but here's an interview...

Might as well learn about her now - unlike a Gohmert or King in the inverse, you're going to be held responsible for all of her positions and anything she says.

Anyway, sounds Crowley dug his own hole... didn't bother to debate her, generally tried to run an entitled campaign.
   498. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 09:54 PM (#5700251)
I've got an idea. Let's step inside the wayback machine...

Andy:
You're not the only one. When a congressman who positions himself to the right of John ####### Boehner is in turn seen as too "liberal" by your primary voters, that tells you pretty much all you need to know about the mental state of the current GOP.
shipman on Brat:
10th amendment? lolwut?
This is in addition to the other batshit crazy stuff he believes that sadly places him squarely in the Republican party.
Also shipman:
I'm not concerned, I'm delighted. Cantor was a dangerous nutjob who preferred default over a deal that favored his side. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Now, it's a shame that he's likely being replaced by a buffoon who believes in nullification, but there's at least a slight chance that voters come to their senses. If not, I'll settle for someone who has not proven themselves to be unfit to govern over someone who was dangerously close to choosing to cause a crisis.
Kevin:
We're concerned, but not in the way you think, Clapper. We're concerned because we live in a country where the political party that runs one of the two legislative branches just dumped an extremist power broker within their ranks because he wasn't extremist enough, and the more extreme person they chose to replace him with has an excellent chance to get elected and do even more damage than the person they tossed aside, who did a lot of damage indeed.

That's what we're concerned about. The GOP has gone all nutter on everybody, even themselves. And we're all going to suffer for it.
Sammy:
1713. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 11, 2014 at 09:29 AM (#4723161)
[ Ignored Comment ]
1714. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 11, 2014 at 09:34 AM (#4723163)
[ Ignored Comment ]
Oops! How did that happen?

Well, you get the idea...

And in fairness, Mouse, you didn't seem all that interested then either.
   499. DJS Thinks Apples and Oranges are Similar Posted: June 26, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5700254)
As much as it pains me to cut DJS any slack, my guess is that he's more on the side that says we don't need to root out illegal immigrants wherever they may hide, but if we run across one, we may as well deport him.

Yeah, it's a poor use of resources. It's pretty impractical to root out 30 years of lax enforcement given what we have to go by.

On a philosophical level, I *am* open borders, but like a lot of things, I see it as a goal to get to, not something you can snap your fingers and have happen. You can't have open borders with a welfare state and minimum wages.

As for the ruling, I'm not terribly happy about the consequences -- I'd be much happier with a president not having such wide authority -- but I think the result is correct given my layman's understanding of the laws (I do come from a family of lawyers and have been reading decisions since I was 10, so I'm not completely unaware, though I am aware enough to know that there's a lot I don't know). I was disappointed by the lack of intellectual heft in Sotomayor's dissent; I find it poorly reasoned, even though I'm more *morally* on that side of the case even if I think it was decided correctly. Ilya Somin's arguments against the travel ban over the last year I found much more convincing and devoid of any of the emotional bluster.
   500. Stormy JE Posted: June 26, 2018 at 10:02 PM (#5700255)
I'd settle for you being able to whisper an acknowledgement of Trump's racism onto your keyboard.
My view hasn't changed. He's made racist comments but there's a pretty good chance he dislikes just about everybody who isn't family.
Page 5 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn)
for his generous support.