Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, June 04, 2018

OTP 2018 June 4: How Dr. Alan Nathan Became Baseball Fans’ Favorite Physicist

Nathan said he expected to simply read the book and share on what he learned, and that would be that. But thanks to a local reporter who heard his initial talk and interviewed him about it for the Sunday paper, Nathan is still sharing what he’s learning almost two decades later. Not long after that initial talk, Nathan had a sabbatical from the University of Illinois, so he decided to spend it studying the physics of baseball more closely. He almost immediately found a fascinating rabbit hole of study that helped change a long-held perception in baseball.

“Grip on the bat, while the ball and bat are in contact with each other, plays no role whatsoever in the collision itself. And that pretty much goes against what you might call conventional wisdom,” Nathan said.

“Not scientific wisdom, but baseball wisdom,” he adds, elaborating that at the moment when the ball strikes the bat, the hitter’s grip doesn’t matter at all. In fact, he could even let go of the bat altogether—at that point of contact—and it would not change how the ball was hit.

But what does this have to do with politics?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 04, 2018 at 07:48 AM | 1535 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, physics, politics, witch-hunt, wizards

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 16 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 14 15 16
   1501. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: June 11, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5689817)
you and yours
Drink!
   1502. . Posted: June 11, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5689818)
Concession accepted.

There's no concession. There are 11 million or more illegal deportable immigrants in the US, easily enough for Trump to have far exceeded the 226,000 deportations of last year.

Do you ever go through the exercise of looking up these numbers before engaging in your hysteria? They're easy to find. Bill Clinton, for example, deported 1.5 million people in an average year. Donald Trump deported 226,000 in his first year. Why don't you know these things?
   1503. Traderdave Posted: June 11, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5689823)
Why don't you know these things?

Why don't you post your data to back your claim that Trump's economy is boomier than Obama's?

1504. BDC Posted: June 11, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5689825)
Hey, the Army just got tiny camera drones:

The Black Hornet Personal Reconnaissance System is the world's smallest combat-proven nano-drone, according to the company. The US Army has ordered the next-generation Black Hornet 3, which weighs 32 grams and packs navigation capabilities for use in areas outside of GPS coverage. The drone, which has advanced image processing from earlier versions, and can fly a distance of two kilometers at more than 21 kilometers an hour and carries a thermal microcamera.

Via blogger Benedict Evans, who remarks "This will be everywhere and taken for granted in a few years, for better or worse."
   1505. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 11, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5689826)

There's no concession.

There is and I accept it. You cannot have your concession back, I've accepted it. It's gone.
   1506. Lassus Posted: June 11, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5689831)
OK, that was pretty funny.
   1507. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 11, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5689843)
There's no concession.

This is absolutely hilarious.
   1508. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 11, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5689844)
There is no concession, only submission. Oh Donald, you jiggling spray-tanned Adonis, why must you suffer the jibes of these hysterical hippies?
   1509. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 11, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5689846)
As is common late in the term, the Supreme Court has added another "decision day" to its calendar and will also be releasing opinions on Thursday. With 21 decisions remaining, it's possible the Court could also add the following Thursday to go with the two remaining Mondays scheduled for releasing opinions. The Court is set to end its term on June 25, and it would be unusual for them to extend beyond that, so they'll be picking up the pace. The recent practice is that any retirement announcements are made not later than a few days from the conclusion of the Court's term.
   1510. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5689852)
"No concession. No concession. You're the concession."
   1511. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:03 PM (#5689853)
I'd post it here from Bloomberg if I knew how but i don't have the time to bother to learn right now. But I encourage you to take a look at the 5 year graph of monthly NFP report and let us know how that proves Trump's boom is better than Obama's.

After you finish that, do same for 5yr GDP quarter over quarter, durable goods or just about any other barometer for economic vitality. I anxiously await your cogent, evidenced based report.

As for the stock market, that has more to do with tax cuts for the rentiers than actual economic strength, and notcie how flat (and very choppy) the SPX has been since that tax bill.
Did you really think you were going to get a substantive response to this, Dave? You were never going to get one.
   1512. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5689866)
Did you really think you were going to get a substantive response to this, Dave? You were never going to get one.

He's off to get more concessions since my "no returns" policy was unexpected.
   1513. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5689868)
But I encourage you to take a look at the 5 year graph of monthly NFP report and let us know how that proves Trump's boom is better than Obama's.

Guh?

After you finish that, do same for 5yr GDP quarter over quarter, durable goods or just about any other barometer for economic vitality.

Buh.
   1514. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:28 PM (#5689870)
As for the stock market, that has more to do with tax cuts for the rentiers than actual economic strength, and notcie how flat (and very choppy) the SPX has been since that tax bill.

In in scenario where the "economy is doing well," it is expressly doing "well" for the people Donald Trump promised the idiots he'd fight (himself and his types) at the expense of people who voted for him. But they're idiots, so they will ignore that. SBB will ignore it because that's the price of gobbling Trumpcock all day every day.
   1515. Lassus Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:30 PM (#5689871)
Guh?
Buh.

Someone doesn't have the market acumen of the self-made string of recent Steinbrenners.
   1516. BrianBrianson Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5689876)
THERE ... ARE ... FOUR ... CONCESSIONS!
   1517. Laser Man Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5689877)
There's no concession. There are 11 million or more illegal deportable immigrants in the US, easily enough for Trump to have far exceeded the 226,000 deportations of last year.

Do you ever go through the exercise of looking up these numbers before engaging in your hysteria? They're easy to find. Bill Clinton, for example, deported 1.5 million people in an average year. Donald Trump deported 226,000 in his first year. Why don't you know these things?
You are conflating two or three different types of deportations. The vast majority of the Clinton deportations, about 90% of the 1.5 million, were border apprehensions, when a lot more people were trying to cross the border. What Trump has increased is the deportation of people already in the country. In 2016, 65,000 people such people were deported, while in 2017, that number increased to 82,000 (up 25%).

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/dec/19/have-deportations-increased-under-donald-trump-her/
   1518. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5689884)
THERE ... ARE ... FOUR ... CONCESSIONS!

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE GET OUT, THE CONCESSIONS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE THREAD!
   1519. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5689885)
Laser Man, those statistics and modern liberal interpretations thereof do not reflect the original speculative blather; therefore any further attempts on your part to engage in an actual discussion on this matter shall be considered stalking and you risk being put on ignore.

Since all he wants is attention, ignoring people who actually give it to him should be considered the ultimate concession. When you look at it *that* way, carry on! ;)
   1520. . Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5689888)
But I encourage you to take a look at the 5 year graph of monthly NFP report and let us know how that proves Trump's boom is better than Obama's.

You could have save yourself a lot of stalking time by simply noting that I never said Trump's boom was better than Obama's. It very well might be, I'd have to look more closely -- and Trump's started from a much higher baseline -- but I never said it was.
   1521. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: June 11, 2018 at 05:44 PM (#5689892)
stalking time

On behalf of Traderdave, I will accept this concession.
   1522. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 11, 2018 at 05:46 PM (#5689894)
He's back from the stand with more concessions!

Get yours before they're all gone...
   1523. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: June 11, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5689895)
Wow, SBB's in a conceding mood today - it's even breaking the site. Whaddasay, care to define what you meant by stating that Obama's experiences "made him embrace Islam to an unhelpful degree"?
   1524. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: June 11, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5689898)
@radleybalko:
Trump's Canada tantrum really drives home what we lost in Anthony Bourdain. Bourdain was America's best face abroad. He was gracious, generous, and curious. Trump is pompous, chauvinist, and insular -- every "ugly American" cliche in a too-long tie.
   1525. . Posted: June 11, 2018 at 06:24 PM (#5689913)
There is and I accept it. You cannot have your concession back, I've accepted it. It's gone.

I suppose you can accept your Tuffy Rhodes bobblehead and call it Ernie Banks, too. Not much that can be done about it.
   1526. . Posted: June 11, 2018 at 06:25 PM (#5689914)
The vast majority of the Clinton deportations, about 90% of the 1.5 million, were border apprehensions, when a lot more people were trying to cross the border. What Trump has increased is the deportation of people already in the country. In 2016, 65,000 people such people were deported, while in 2017, that number increased to 82,000 (up 25%).

Assuming your numbers are accurate, that still puts Clinton at roughly double the number of in-country removals. Obama's overall average is likely well above Trump's in that metric, too.

There's no reason border deportations should be removed from the analysis, in any event. Bottom line is that previous presidents kept far, far more people who wanted to come and stay here from coming and staying here.
   1527. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 11, 2018 at 06:41 PM (#5689923)
Trump's Canada tantrum really drives home what we lost in Anthony Bourdain. Bourdain was America's best face abroad. He was gracious, generous, and curious. Trump is pompous, chauvinist, and insular -- every "ugly American" cliche in a too-long tie.

Trump is also a fat pig.
   1528. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 11, 2018 at 06:49 PM (#5689924)
The new thread is up and running.
   1529. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 11, 2018 at 11:37 PM (#5690073)
   1530. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 15, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5692937)
   1531. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 15, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5693029)
?
   1532. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 15, 2018 at 05:54 PM (#5693047)
The Strzok/Page texts show extreme political bias -- so much so that Mueller had to remove Strzok. And Strzok was deeply involved in both the Clinton and the Trump investigations -- and we know he delayed a month on the Weiner issue.

Finally, part of this was to shackle Trump with the Russia collusion investigation in the event that Trump won. Which is exactly what's happened.

This is rabbit hole conspiracy nonsense.

We have the texts.
   1533. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 15, 2018 at 06:02 PM (#5693050)
The Strzok/Page texts show extreme political bias

@normative:

The discussion around this report reminds me how annoying I find the pervasive sloppy use of “bias”. A bias is a prejudice, a distorting influence. It is not synonymous with “having an opinion”.

Sounds like a good working definition to me. And it applies here. In spades.

“[Trump’s] not ever going to become president, right? Right?!”
“No. No he won’t. We’ll stop it."

Among other political-bias-revealing texts.

The distorting influence is "We'll stop it." And, lo and behold, Strzok delayed on the release of the Weiner emails. Etc.

It's true that we don't have Strzok saying "I did XYZ to stop Trump." But we have Strzok doing XYZ and we have Strzok saying "We'll stop Trump." Only a hopeless ideologue would conclude from that that there's nothing to see here, that this is not news.

Enter the anti-Trumpers.

If we had a Strzok saying "I'll stop Obama from becoming president" while having a lead role in various Romney and Obama investigations we know what the outraged reaction would be.

Appearance of impropriety is a thing not only because it looks bad, but because sometimes there is indeed impropriety. What rational people DON'T say after appearance of impropriety is found is "Nothing to see here, nyah nyah you have no proof there was impropriety." We have evidence of it. The Strzok-Page texts that reveal exreme political bias. Evidence is not proof but evidence is not nothing.

All of this talk about Putin Influencing Our Election -- and we learn that the US government was trying to Influence Our Election -- and it was going on right under our noses.

If we had Putin saying "I'll stop Hillary" we know what the conclusion would be in light of the wikileaks emails, etc.

Someone who thinks Trump or Clinton or Obama is a bad candidate or unfit for the presidency MAY, as a result, have a “bias” against that person. But these don’t mean the same thing. The second does not follow from the first.

The second does not follow from the first but here we have both the first and the second.

“[Trump’s] not ever going to become president, right? Right?!”
“No. No he won’t. We’ll stop it."

"We'll stop it" destroys the last shred of argument that there was no political bias here. People can't even pretend anymore that there's nothing to see here with straight faces, although they'll try to.

Notably, while there were other texts from other FBI people that showed political bias against Trump, there were no pro-Trump texts cited by the IG, from any FBI or DOJ official involved in this. I don't think anyone here would sign up to be investigated by people who said "We'll stop it." So there is indeed something to see here, and rational people know that it can't be pretended away.
   1534. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 15, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5693051)
@benjysarlin:

To summarize:

-The chairman of a campaign whose unofficial slogan was "Lock her up" is going to jail

-The campaign adviser who personally led "Lock her up" chants and the deputy chairman are both awaiting sentencing.

Sounds like they could have used their own Peter Strzok.
   1535. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 15, 2018 at 06:12 PM (#5693057)
We'll stop it" destroys the last shred of argument that there was no political bias here.

Who is “we”?
Page 16 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 14 15 16

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
for his generous support.