Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, March 19, 2018

OTP 2018 March 19: Spending bill could quash Minor League Baseball players’ wage claims

A massive government spending bill that Congress is expected to consider this week could include a provision exempting Minor League Baseball players from federal labor laws, according to three congressional officials familiar with the talks.

The exemption would represent the culmination of more than two years of lobbying by Major League Baseball, which has sought to preempt a spate of lawsuits that have been filed by minor leaguers alleging they have been illegally underpaid.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 19, 2018 at 07:25 AM | 2016 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: minor league pay, minor leagues, off topic, owners, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 21 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. Hot Wheeling American in his sleazy salon Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5640533)
@axios:
Sarah Sanders is asked whether the Russian election was free and fair: "We don't get to dictate how other countries operate."
   402. Larvell B Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5640534)
There are very few conservatives on here. Maybe two, and Face isn't really even American conservative. One of them, snapper, was finally driven away.

So, one.
   403. Morty Causa Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5640537)
Well, according to you (and me), that aren't any real liberals here either.
   404. Lassus Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5640538)
I have been as far north as the arctic circle in Iceland (you have to ferry to an island then walk to the northern tip of that island).

I did this very thing! The ocean was seriously batshit that day - at least it seemed to me. The crew was actually mildly concerned - they said it was a 6 on a scale of 1-10, 1 being normal and 10 being legitimately frightening. "How big are the swells right now? "Oh, not terrible, eight or nine meters."
   405. Larvell B Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5640539)
Well, according to you (and me), that aren't any real liberals here either.

There aren't really any of those either. It's a libertarian/modern liberal board, almost entirely -- and the modern liberals outnumber the libertarians by orders of magnitude. So it's really a modern liberal board, with a few mixed non-modern liberals, who the modern liberals think are all racists in one form or another. If the non-modern liberals aren't actual racists, they serve the cause of racists ... by not being modern liberals.
   406. Karl from NY Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5640540)
No great claims here.

North: Reykjavik for two airport layovers; otherwise Edinburgh
South: Kissimmee FL
East: Munich
West: San Francisco, specifically under the Golden Gate on a tourist boat cruise
   407. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5640541)
Dept. of Delicious Historical Irony:

Judge rules defamation case against Trump may proceed
A New York judge said Tuesday that a defamation lawsuit against President Trump related to an allegation that he sexually harassed a former “Apprentice” contestant may go forward.

Summer Zervos filed the suit last year after Trump said publicly that she and other women making similar claims made them up. Trump sought to block the legal action, but New York Supreme Court Judge Jennifer G. Schecter, citing court precedent that led to the impeachment of President Bill Clinton in 1998, said that “a sitting president is not immune from being sued in federal court for unofficial acts.”

Trump has repeatedly said that all of the women who accused him of touching them inappropriately were lying — a sentiment his White House reiterated as questions resurfaced about the allegations.

Trump’s attorneys argued that the president cannot be sued in state court and also argued that the comments he made were political opinion and, as a result, “squarely protected by the First Amendment.” Marc Kasowitz, Trump’s personal attorney, did not immediately respond to a request for comment regarding the ruling Tuesday. ...

The ruling Tuesday was blunt in dismissing an argument made by Trump’s attorneys that he cannot be sued in state court while in office.

“No one is above the law,” Schecter wrote. It is settled that the President of the United States has no immunity and is ‘subject to the laws’ for purely private acts.”

Schecter referred to a court case involving Clinton and Paula Jones, a former Arkansas state employee who accused Clinton of sexual harassing her while he was serving as the state’s governor. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Jones’s lawsuit against Clinton could proceed, arguing that sitting presidents could be sued for private actions that predated their time in office; Trump’s attorneys have argued that case applied to federal litigation and did not apply in state courts.

In her ruling, Schecter also dismissed a request that the case be stayed for the duration of Trump’s time in office, saying that such “a lengthy and categorical stay is not justified” just because a president can be called away to attend to a crisis. If that happens, Schecter wrote, Trump’s federal responsibilities would be given priority. ...

Emphasis added. Somewhere Bill Clinton must be smiling.

408. Lassus Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5640542)
For the flip, as I'm still interested:

Anything else in that $25-$45 range I should try?

I was out, but does anyone have an opinion on Jefferson small batch or 1491? I enjoyed each of these as a teaspoon in eggnog but could really tell the difference enough to significantly prefer the latter. And that's just over 1/10th of a shot - I don't actually drink.

Thoughts?
   409. McCoy Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5640543)

The Knob Creek single barrel is typically really good, although among single barrel products it has a higher than usual variance. It's also widely available and reasonably priced, both uncommon attributes for barrel proof/high proof bourbons. One of the more accessible and welcoming bourbons at that proof.

We actually have two barrels of this stuff that we hand picked.
   410. Larvell B Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5640544)
North: Reykjavik for two airport layovers;

Oh, yeah -- me, too. That's my actual North, not the Germany/Denmark border.
   411. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5640546)
What's hilarious here is that Trump was said to be an idiot running an idiot campaign. He was mocked as an idiot, his Best People were mocked as idiots, their strategies were mocked as the strategies of idiots.

Also he’s routinely defended by idiots.
   412. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5640547)
Thought experiment from Andy from 3 or 4 pages ago:
Is there a single one of the Seven Deadly Sins that Trump isn't guilty of? Has any other president from FDR on been guilty of more than maybe 2 or 3?

Sure, a couple. I assume every man is 7-for-7 at some point, but let's go with "in excess." Taking a quick initial run at it:

FDR: Pride, greed?, lust; and definitely sloth; he liked being carried around places.
Truman: Pride, wrath
Eisenhower: Lust, sloth, reportedly wrath
Kennedy: Pride, greed?, lust
LBJ: Pride, greed, lust, envy, wrath
Nixon: Envy, wrath
Ford:
Reagan: Pride, greed?, sloth; memories of lust
Bush Sr.: Greed?, quiet lust
Clinton: Pride, greed, lust, gluttony, reportedly wrath
GW Bush: Greed?, sloth
Obama: Pride, reportedly wrath
Trump: The whole pinball machine lights up

So there we are: Gerald Ford, the greatest of all Presidents.

Greed was the iffiest deadly sin to diagnose long-distance for these guys.
   413. McCoy Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5640548)
Yes, but more specifically, it's not so much people that don't like variance; kids don't like variance. The fast food/chain dining market themselves to families. You might have heard that the swordfish dish is awesome at the new Thai-Ethoipian-Peruvian fusion place that just opened, but your kids want the same stuff that they had the last time they went to TGIFridays, and the last thing you want is to get to a restaurant and your kids sulk and say that there's nothing they want to eat.

Adults generally don't like variance as well. Adults may like to try the hot new restaurant but they still like their old standbys to be exactly the same. And of course there is the segment of the public that loves trying the new trendy restaurants but when they actually order they end up ordering the chicken Caesar salad.
   414. The Good Face Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:50 PM (#5640550)
I was out, but does anyone have an opinion on Jefferson small batch or 1491? I enjoyed each of these as a teaspoon in egnoog but could really tell the difference enough to significantly prefer the latter. And that's just over 1/10th of a shot - I don't actually drink.

Thoughts?

It really, really doesn't matter. Buy a handle of Evan Williams Black Label for $23 and you'll never have to think about it again.

415. Lassus Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:50 PM (#5640551)
Can you count anything as farthest east if you've actually circumnavigated going west?

North: Arctic Circle - Grimsey, Iceland
South: Dunedin, Iceland
   416. Lassus Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5640552)
It really, really doesn't matter. Buy a handle of Evan Williams Black Label for $23 and you'll never have to think about it again.

I was just generally curious if any actual drinkers had tried those two and if they had an opinion.
   417. BDC Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5640553)
Hey, somebody gave me a bottle of Glenlivet single-malt "Founder's Reserve." It doesn't say how old it is, but presumably more than last week or so. It's better than Johnnie Walker Red Label, anyway.

Given that I will probably never buy a bottle of Scotch in the remainder of my life, I am highly dependent on what people decide to give me.
   418. Lassus Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5640554)
Adults generally don't like variance as well. Adults may like to try the hot new restaurant but they still like their old standbys to be exactly the same.

Really? This sounds like a horrible way to live. I guess it's generally true, but blah.
   419. dlf Posted: March 20, 2018 at 04:59 PM (#5640557)
#412 - You left out Carter. And he is a man who has admitted to lusting in his heart.
   420. McCoy Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5640558)

Really? This sounds like a horrible way to live. I guess it's generally true, but blah.

Tell me about it. I generally will try something new when I go out. If I'm dropping 50, 60, 70+ dollars for a meal then let me see what you can do. Whereas my GF will generally be less adventuresome and will usually stick with a steak or the chicken.
   421. BrianBrianson Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5640559)
Hey, somebody gave me a bottle of Glenlivet single-malt "Founder's Reserve." It doesn't say how old it is, but presumably more than last week or so. It's better than Johnnie Walker Red Label, anyway.

Scotch has to be at least three years old to be so labelled. If it doesn't say, assume it's a mix, with probably mostly <10 years.

But talk about damning with faint praise.
   422. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5640560)
Adults generally don't like variance as well. Adults may like to try the hot new restaurant but they still like their old standbys to be exactly the same.

Yeah that seems weird. I was raised by my grandparents who lived through the Great Depression so I’ve always been interested in trying exotic new foods. I’m in California for a conference and I brought my daughter with me, I asked her what we should do for dinner last night and she said, “Can we find a ramen bar?” She’s 8, she doesn’t love every new thing she tries but she tries pretty much everything because she’s been exposed to enough “weird” food to know something delicious can come from anywhere. She likes Indian food a hell of a lot more than I do, that’s for sure.
   423. McCoy Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5640561)
The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve is meant to replace their 12 year old in a lot of markets as the supply of aged Scotch is not keeping up with demand. With Founder's they have no age statement because they aren't using at least 12 year old Scotch in making it.
   424. zenbitz Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5640562)
My son is still something of a picky eater at 13... but his oddest food habit has got to be insisting on salad with NO DRESSING. Part of that is that he really doesn't like Vinegar.
   425. Jason Dean Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5640564)

Well that’s all laws. I mean, not the laws of physics or anything, the ones lawyers fetishize. They’re all wholly imaginary constructs based on societal whims, subject to change at any time for any reason. State, federal, the laws of the National Wrestling Alliance, whatever.

Rasslin' must've rotted your brain.
   426. Lassus Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5640565)
She likes Indian food a hell of a lot more than I do, that’s for sure.

I find it difficult to believe anyone wouldn't like Indian food.

EDIT: That someone's like of Indian food would be at a level where someone could like it a hell of a lot more than they do.
   427. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5640567)
Quoted in #401:
Sarah Sanders is asked whether the Russian election was free and fair: "We don't get to dictate how other countries operate."

"We're going to build a wall, and make Mexico pay for it."
   428. Lassus Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:14 PM (#5640568)
You might have heard that the swordfish dish is awesome at the new Thai-Ethoipian-Peruvian fusion place that just opened

Then again, I sure as hell don't want anyone screwing up my Ethiopian food, so...
   429. dlf Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5640569)
I find it difficult to believe anyone wouldn't like Indian food.

Over a five year stretch, I spent a total of over 10 months living in India, mostly Bangalore with a decent chunk in Goa and Mumbai. There are such wide variations in Indian food with stronger differences in regional cuisine than we've been able to maintain in the U.S. There are certainly exceptions, but most Indian food I've had in the States is like exporting Cheesecake Factory to Delhi and telling them that it is representative of the variety and quality of American foods.
   430. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5640570)
Thought experiment from Andy from 3 or 4 pages ago:
Is there a single one of the Seven Deadly Sins that Trump isn't guilty of? Has any other president from FDR on been guilty of more than maybe 2 or 3?

Sure, a couple. I assume every man is 7-for-7 at some point, but let's go with "in excess." Taking a quick initial run at it:

FDR: Pride, greed?, lust; and definitely sloth; he liked being carried around places.
Truman: Pride, wrath
Eisenhower: Lust, sloth, reportedly wrath
Kennedy: Pride, greed?, lust
LBJ: Pride, greed, lust, envy, wrath
Ford:
Reagan: Pride, greed?, sloth; memories of lust
Bush Sr.: Greed?, quiet lust
GW Bush: Greed, sloth
Obama: Pride, reportedly wrath
Trump: The whole pinball machine lights up

So there we are: Gerald Ford, the greatest of all Presidents.

Greed was the iffiest deadly sin to diagnose long-distance for these guys.

Greed is kind of subjective, and if you're including raking it on the rubber chicken circuit after leaving office, then pretty much every president from Ford on down is guilty of it. But if you only count their time in office, only a handful would fall in that category.

I think pride is the iffiest one, since you can't possibly run for the presidency without a big helping of it, so I'd only count the ones with a clear excess. And lust has to be a longstanding matter involving multiple mistresses, not just a discreet Back Door Santa affair.

And with those definitions in mind, here's how I'd call it:

FDR: None, though see Obama below
Truman: Wrath (Just ask Paul Hume)
Eisenhower: Reportedly wrath
Kennedy: Lust
LBJ: Pride, greed, lust, envy (of the Kennedys), wrath
Ford: None other than the post-presidency Big Bucks speeches, which could apply to everyone below other than Carter
Carter: Pride, memories of virtual lust
Reagan: Occasional sloth, memories of lust
Bush Sr.: Visions of future greed, memories of lust
GW Bush: Reports of sloth
Obama: None that really stand out, unless acid humor directed against certain political opponents present and/or future counts as a Sin
Trump: He's got em all. This is the white evangelical movement's idea of a president.

431. BDC Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5640572)
Ah, interesting on the age of my whiskey, Brian & McCoy. It must be a challenging market to try to predict.

432. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5640575)
Ouch! This one's gotta hurt.

Star GOP attorney Theodore B. Olson declines offer to join Trump legal team
President Trump’s legal team reached out in recent days to Theodore B. Olson, one of the country’s most high-profile and seasoned litigators, to join forces amid mounting challenges in the probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election, according to three people familiar with the discussions.

The overture came as Trump, feeling more vulnerable to the investigation led by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, has told confidants he wants to recruit top-tier talent and shake up his group of lawyers, the people said.

But after reviewing the offer and weighing potential conflicts with his clients at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, where he is a partner, Olson is not planning to join Trump’s team, a top executive at the firm said Tuesday.

“I can confirm that [the firm] and Theodore B. Olson will not be representing Trump,” Theodore J. Boutrous, the global co-chair of the Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher litigation group, tweeted on Monday following The Washington Post’s initial report.

Olson, 77, who served as solicitor general in the George W. Bush administration and has long been considered a legal superstar, would have brought deeper ties to the Justice Department and more experience on landmark cases than any of Trump’s current lawyers.

Inside the West Wing, there have been ongoing talks about Olson.

Trump senior adviser Kellyanne Conway recommended Olson to the president this week, according to a person familiar with the discussions..

The president discussed the possibility of enlisting Olson with aides Monday and was supportive of the idea, a person said.

The people familiar with the discussions were not authorized to speak publicly. Olson, in an email, said Tuesday, “I’m not going to be commenting on this subject.”

Growing concerns over the Mueller team’s possible interview of Trump — which would likely include questions about possible obstruction of justice — have sped up efforts by the president’s team to bring in Olson or another lawyer of his caliber, the people said.

On Monday, The Washington Post reported that Trump’s legal team recently shared with Mueller’s office documents that chronicle key moments under investigation — in the hopes of curtailing the scope of a potential sit-down interview with Trump.

The talks with Olson are part of a broader disruption in the president’s legal circle. Trump reshuffled his legal team on Monday by hiring Joe diGenova, an often incendiary pundit and former U.S. attorney who has publicly argued Trump is the target of an elaborate FBI conspiracy. ...

Gee, why wouldn't Olson ever want to get mixed up with these swell fellas?
   433. BDC Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5640576)
Adults may like to try the hot new restaurant but they still like their old standbys to be exactly the same.

Really? This sounds like a horrible way to live

I cook several times a week, usually a new recipe or two each week, and some things like chili and paella I never make the same way twice. I will also happily try the jellied eel or whatever when I'm overseas.

But at local restaurants, I never experiment. I like the chicken shawarma at one place, and either one kind of bun or one kind of pho at another. A friend and I meet for lunch once a month and we have taken to always going on Mondays because that's when the local pub has the chicken-fried steak special.
   434. The Good Face Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5640577)

I was just generally curious if any actual drinkers had tried those two and if they had an opinion.

I'm not a fan of Jefferson in general. They're an NDP (non-distiller producer) which means they don't make their whiskey, they buy it from actual distilleries. That's not necessarily a terrible thing, some NDPs release really good stuff, but Jefferson isn't one of them. Their products are usually overpriced and under-aged. I don't know what 1491 is.
   435. Traderdave Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:26 PM (#5640578)
Buy a handle of Evan Williams Black Label for $23 and you'll never have to think about it again

Evan Williams Bonded (white label) is much better and at $13-15 a fifth, the best of the cheap ones, IMO.
   436. McCoy Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:26 PM (#5640579)
It must be a challenging market to try to predict.

Blame the Chinese mostly.
   437. Traderdave Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:30 PM (#5640582)
They're an NDP (non-distiller producer) which means they don't make their whiskey, they buy it from actual distilleries. That's not necessarily a terrible thing, some NDPs release really good stuff, but Jefferson isn't one of them.

Some NDP's have really declined in recent years, as the producers are either keeping the good barrels themselves or selling to the myriad new NDP "craft" producers who are paying up for product. Willet really sticks out. Noah's and Rowan, to name 2 Willet brands, have gone from solid to paint stripper in the last few years, and they aren't the only ones.
   438. McCoy Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:31 PM (#5640584)

I cook several times a week, usually a new recipe or two each week, and some things like chili and paella I never make the same way twice. I will also happily try the jellied eel or whatever when I'm overseas.

But at local restaurants, I never experiment. I like the chicken shawarma at one place, and either one kind of bun or one kind of pho at another. A friend and I meet for lunch once a month and we have taken to always going on Mondays because that's when the local pub has the chicken-fried steak special.

My GF also likes cooking at home from recipes and she likes cooking it the same way over and over. Whereas I'm more of a put it on the grill and let's see what we get kind of person.
   439. Larvell B Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:31 PM (#5640585)
Actual liberal Alan Dershowitz, again with the truth:

Dershowitz responded by saying there had been "no probable cause" of crimes committed by Trump and that meant a special counsel was not necessary.

"First of all, the president is 100 percent right. There never should have been an appointment of special counsel and there was no probable cause that crimes were committed," said Dershowitz. "I’ve seen no credible evidence that crimes were committed by the president."

"The investigation should never have begun. The question is how does he deal with it. He’s playing good cop, bad cop. He has some lawyers cooperating and some attacking Mueller because he wants to be ready to attack in the event there are recommendations that are negative to the president."

The Harvard law professor emeritus went on to describe the Mueller investigation as a "legal colonoscopy" that is looking at "every conceivable aspect" of Trump's business life.
   440. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5640586)
It must be a challenging market to try to predict.

Blame the Chinese mostly.

My scotch drinking neighborly friends do indeed. The one guy has to travel for business to China semi annually (his business has a plant(s) in China), and he already hates the Chinese for their lying business ways as it is. Add to it the Scotch disruption (and it isn't just the Chinese) and he's full stop anti-chinese, for his own narrowly tailored reasons.
   441. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5640587)
#439:
The Harvard law professor emeritus went on to describe the Mueller investigation as a "legal colonoscopy"

Now, let's see if we can follow this metaphor to its logical and accurate conclusion...
   442. The Good Face Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:41 PM (#5640589)
Some NDP's have really declined in recent years, as the producers are either keeping the good barrels themselves or selling to the myriad new NDP "craft" producers who are paying up for product. Willet really sticks out. Noah's and Rowan, to name 2 Willet brands, have gone from solid to paint stripper in the last few years, and they aren't the only ones.

The only NDPs I really trust right now are Barrell and High West. Willet seems to play a sort of churn and burn with their brands. First came Black Maple Hill, which was great for a few years. Until it turned into paint thinner. Then Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek, and the same thing happened there. The closest I've come to pouring a bottle down the drain was last year with Noah's Mill.

443. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:45 PM (#5640590)
There aren't really any of those either. It's a libertarian/modern liberal board, almost entirely -- and the modern liberals outnumber the libertarians by orders of magnitude. So it's really a modern liberal board, with a few mixed non-modern liberals, who the modern liberals think are all racists in one form or another. If the non-modern liberals aren't actual racists, they serve the cause of racists ... by not being modern liberals.

You're catching up to perros in the self-congratulatory/masturbatory post category.

He's behind you in the Dancing Monkey ranks, though.
   444. Traderdave Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:46 PM (#5640591)
The closest I've come to pouring a bottle down the drain was last year with Noah's Mill.

I got a Noah's bottle for xmas that I boiled down to barbecue sauce, it was that bad. I haven't tried Barrell, mostly because it's expensive.

Johnny Drum has gone to hell too.

High West is indeed very good. They must have a very solid contract with MGP to keep the top shelf juice coming.
   445. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:48 PM (#5640592)
Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine: Republicans Can’t Understand Why Trump Is Acting Guilty
The largest faction of the party has taken the position that Donald Trump is a fantastically successful president whose main error is undisciplined tweeting. What is most notable about this approach is what it omits: the idea that Trump possesses authoritarian instincts or might be deeply implicated in the Russia scandal. It focuses entirely on the most superficial critique of his job performance and ignores evidence of his fundamental unfitness for office.

This weekend, Trump abandoned his pose of restraint toward Robert Mueller and began openly lashing out at the special counsel. This was yet another effort to test the limits of what his Republican allies would accept. ...The mainstream Republican response to these provocations has focused on the style of Trump’s actions, rather than the substance. A Wall Street Journal editorial applauds the firing of Andrew McCabe from the FBI, assuring its readers that — while the evidence remains private — McCabe probably deserved it. “Mr. Sessions’s statement was a straightforward explanation that he fired Mr. McCabe for a serious violation of duty,” the Journal concludes. The stated rationale for the firing “should have been cause for Mr. Trump to let the dismissal speak for itself, but the President is too self-involved for such restraint,” the editorial lamented.

...Maybe the fact that Trump decided to taunt and smear the fired civil servant should be evidence that, perhaps, the pretext given for his firing is not entirely on the level. Maybe McCabe was singled out for scrutiny because Trump has demanded such an action. The Journal does not entertain the possibility, though. Trump is simply making the completely neutral execution of administrative justice appear biased for no reason at all.

...Republican congressman Trey Gowdy ... scolded Trump’s lawyer John Dowd for threatening Mueller, saying, “If you have an innocent client, Mr. Dowd, act like it.” But what if… Dowd’s client is not innocent? It would certainly explain his behavior, but also force people like Gowdy to entertain scenarios they would rather ignore.

...Last year, several Republican senators expressed support in passing a law to protect Mueller from the kind of purge Trump seems intent upon carrying out. But the progress of those bills has crawled to a halt. ...John Cornyn insists, “I think it’d be a bad mistake for the president to fire the director. And I don’t think he’ll do it, so I don’t see any benefit in trying to pass a law.” It would be “stupid” and a “mistake” for Trump to try to shut down the prosecutor. Because he’s innocent, of course.

...“By some leaders’ reckoning, the special counsel bills are not yet ripe for consideration,” reports the Washington Post. “Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) has said he will not schedule the bills for a markup until they are merged into a single piece of legislation.” We know what it looks like when Republicans actually want to get a bill passed quickly.
   446. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5640593)
North: Husavik, Iceland (technically, a whale watching boat north of Husavik)
South: Punta Arenas, Chile
East: Nadi, Fiji
West: Maui, Hawaii

It's a weird question because latitude lines go all the way around the globe and longitude lines don't. Husavik and Punta Arenas really are quite far apart; whereas Fiji and Maui are relatively close in longitude terms.
   447. Morty Causa Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:00 PM (#5640596)
Dershowitz, if the reports are correct (no links given), doesn't seem to understand what Mueller's mandate is. Neither does Ray. Don't make it a triumvirate, Larvell.
   448. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:10 PM (#5640600)

One of the most senior officials in Ben Carson’s housing department has lost his job after the Guardian disclosed his link to a colleague accused of fraud and a federal watchdog received allegations of corruption in his office.

Johnson Joy departed from his position as chief information officer at Carson’s Department for Housing and Urban Development (Hud) on Tuesday. A Hud spokesman said Carson accepted Joy’s resignation. Two sources familiar with the situation said Joy was escorted from the department headquarters by security.

Joy had been running an opaque religious charity with Naved Jafry, a senior adviser to Joy at Hud, who previously resigned after the Guardian found he had exaggerated his biography and been repeatedly sued for alleged fraud.

Joy’s departure on Tuesday came as the Guardian was preparing a new article on a complaint filed by Joy’s former executive assistant, which alleged that she was fired from her job because she raised concerns about possible corruption in Joy’s office.

Katrina Hubbard said she was reassigned from her position and then terminated altogether in January soon after she raised the alarm within Hud about an apparent misuse of public funds.

“I reported information about fraud, waste and abuse, and as a result I was retaliated against,” Hubbard told the Guardian.

Hubbard’s case is being investigated by the office of special counsel (OSC), which oversees federal workers’ employment rights. Last month the Guardian revealed that the OSC was investigating a complaint from Helen Foster, a senior HUD official, who said she was demoted for refusing to break a legal spending cap on improvements to Carson’s office.

The Guardian
   449. McCoy Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:11 PM (#5640601)
Add to it the Scotch disruption (and it isn't just the Chinese) and he's full stop anti-chinese, for his own narrowly tailored reasons.

Yeah, the Indians are starting to be prosperous enough that eventually they too are going to be driving up the prices of Scotch significantly as well.
   450. dlf Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:15 PM (#5640606)
Hubbard’s case is being investigated by the office of special counsel (OSC), which oversees federal workers’ employment rights. Last month the Guardian revealed that the OSC was investigating a complaint from Helen Foster, a senior HUD official, who said she was demoted for refusing to break a legal spending cap on improvements to Carson’s office.

And the completely unqualified Ben Carson turned to Twitter and his Facebook page to announce that the complaints were unfounded while the internal investigation within his own department had just gotten underway. Now Carson and his wife are claiming that they were to ones to complain of the cost of the office furniture and subordinates were foisting it on them.
   451. Howie Menckel Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:16 PM (#5640607)
Both Hope [Hicks] and [Johnson] Joy now out of the Trump administration.

who's next - Mirth? Frivolity? Delight?
   452. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:17 PM (#5640608)
North: Montreal
South: Miami
East: Nauset Beach, MA
West: Cleveland
   453. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:19 PM (#5640610)
Lt. Col. Ralph Peters (ret), had been a long-time "Fox News Strategic Analyst" ... until he quit the network today with the following email to his colleagues:

On March 1st, I informed Fox that I would not renew my contract. The purpose of this message to all of you is twofold:

First, I must thank each of you for the cooperation and support you've shown me over the years. Those working off-camera, the bookers and producers, don't often get the recognition you deserve, but I want you to know that I have always appreciated the challenges you face and the skill with which you master them.

Second, I feel compelled to explain why I have to leave. Four decades ago, I took an oath as a newly commissioned officer. I swore to "support and defend the Constitution," and that oath did not expire when I took off my uniform. Today, I feel that Fox News is assaulting our constitutional order and the rule of law, while fostering corrosive and unjustified paranoia among viewers. Over my decade with Fox, I long was proud of the association. Now I am ashamed.

In my view, Fox has degenerated from providing a legitimate and much-needed outlet for conservative voices to a mere propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration. When prime-time hosts--who have never served our country in any capacity--dismiss facts and empirical reality to launch profoundly dishonest assaults on the FBI, the Justice Department, the courts, the intelligence community (in which I served) and, not least, a model public servant and genuine war hero such as Robert Mueller--all the while scaremongering with lurid warnings of "deep-state" machinations-- I cannot be part of the same organization, even at a remove. To me, Fox News is now wittingly harming our system of government for profit.

As a Russia analyst for many years, it also has appalled me that hosts who made their reputations as super-patriots and who, justifiably, savaged President Obama for his duplicitous folly with Putin, now advance Putin's agenda by making light of Russian penetration of our elections and the Trump campaign. Despite increasingly pathetic denials, it turns out that the "nothing-burger" has been covered with Russian dressing all along. And by the way: As an intelligence professional, I can tell you that the Steele dossier rings true--that's how the Russians do things.. The result is that we have an American president who is terrified of his counterpart in Moscow.

I do not apply the above criticisms in full to Fox Business, where numerous hosts retain a respect for facts and maintain a measure of integrity (nor is every host at Fox News a propaganda mouthpiece--some have shown courage). I have enjoyed and valued my relationship with Fox Business, and I will miss a number of hosts and staff members. You're the grown-ups.

Also, I deeply respect the hard-news reporters at Fox, who continue to do their best as talented professionals in a poisoned environment. These are some of the best men and women in the business..

So, to all of you: Thanks, and, as our president's favorite world leader would say, "Das vidanya."

Emphasis added.

454. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:19 PM (#5640611)
Both Hope [Hicks] and [Johnson] Joy now out of the Trump administration.

Did you steal that? (Asking as a civilian, not accusing you. It's pretty good.)
   455. McCoy Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:20 PM (#5640612)

Mystique and Aura. Now that it isn't Stormy for a bit they can sneak out the back without being spotted.
   456. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:22 PM (#5640614)
Dignity was the first casualty.
   457. Traderdave Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:23 PM (#5640617)
Has Trump made a decent staff pick yet?

Mnuchin is C- at best and he's one of the best of the lot. Too early to grade Powell but he's not a dolt or a loon and looks to be at least adequate (and possibly good.)

Am I missing anyone else, or are these his 2 best?
   458. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:26 PM (#5640619)
how can you rate any of them positively? In that vein, my personal favorite is Linda McMahon.

edit...but if rating who could do the most damage, I'd choose the tag team of Zinke and Pruitt.
   459. dlf Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:26 PM (#5640622)
#457 - I don't have an opinion on the role at OMB, and know that from a policy point of view many would disagree with the outcome, but I've been impressed generally with Mick Mulvaney's professionalism at CFPB.
   460. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:37 PM (#5640626)
   461. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:39 PM (#5640628)
Lt. Col. Ralph Peters (ret), had been a long-time "Fox News Strategic Analyst" ... until he quit the network today with the following email to his colleagues:
On March 1st, I informed Fox that I would not renew my contract. The purpose of this message to all of you is twofold:

First, I must thank each of you for the cooperation and support you've shown me over the years. Those working off-camera, the bookers and producers, don't often get the recognition you deserve, but I want you to know that I have always appreciated the challenges you face and the skill with which you master them.

Second, I feel compelled to explain why I have to leave. Four decades ago, I took an oath as a newly commissioned officer. I swore to "support and defend the Constitution," and that oath did not expire when I took off my uniform. Today, I feel that Fox News is assaulting our constitutional order and the rule of law, while fostering corrosive and unjustified paranoia among viewers. Over my decade with Fox, I long was proud of the association. Now I am ashamed.

In my view, Fox has degenerated from providing a legitimate and much-needed outlet for conservative voices to a mere propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration. When prime-time hosts--who have never served our country in any capacity--dismiss facts and empirical reality to launch profoundly dishonest assaults on the FBI, the Justice Department, the courts, the intelligence community (in which I served) and, not least, a model public servant and genuine war hero such as Robert Mueller--all the while scaremongering with lurid warnings of "deep-state" machinations-- I cannot be part of the same organization, even at a remove. To me, Fox News is now wittingly harming our system of government for profit.

As a Russia analyst for many years, it also has appalled me that hosts who made their reputations as super-patriots and who, justifiably, savaged President Obama for his duplicitous folly with Putin, now advance Putin's agenda by making light of Russian penetration of our elections and the Trump campaign. Despite increasingly pathetic denials, it turns out that the "nothing-burger" has been covered with Russian dressing all along. And by the way: As an intelligence professional, I can tell you that the Steele dossier rings true--that's how the Russians do things.. The result is that we have an American president who is terrified of his counterpart in Moscow.

I do not apply the above criticisms in full to Fox Business, where numerous hosts retain a respect for facts and maintain a measure of integrity (nor is every host at Fox News a propaganda mouthpiece--some have shown courage). I have enjoyed and valued my relationship with Fox Business, and I will miss a number of hosts and staff members. You're the grown-ups.

Also, I deeply respect the hard-news reporters at Fox, who continue to do their best as talented professionals in a poisoned environment. These are some of the best men and women in the business..

So, to all of you: Thanks, and, as our president's favorite world leader would say, "Das vidanya."

Emphasis added.

I didn't realize that Lt. Col. Peters was in on the CrookedHillary plot, but what other explanation could there be for this slanderous FakeNews email?
   462. Traderdave Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:41 PM (#5640629)
I don't have an opinion on the role at OMB, and know that from a policy point of view many would disagree with the outcome, but I've been impressed generally with Mick Mulvaney's professionalism at CFPB.

I haven't observed professionalism from him but perhaps you're looking more closely. Care to elaborate?
   463. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:53 PM (#5640632)
Dershowitz responded by saying there had been "no probable cause" of crimes committed by Trump and that meant a special counsel was not necessary.
FLTB doesn't know enough to know that Dershowitz is blowing nonsensical smoke here. First, probable cause is the standard for indictment, not the standard to begin an investigation. The investigation is how probable cause gets developed.

Second, Mueller was appointed to investigate Russian interference with the election, so he has a job to do even if Trump by some miracle actually were totally innocent.
   464. BrianBrianson Posted: March 20, 2018 at 06:56 PM (#5640633)
even in the West, Scotch, especially single malt, was losing popularity until the 90s - lots of distilleries went bust in the 70s/80s. Renewed and increasing interest in the west, well, Scotland wasn't really in a position to quickly ramp production (and of course, it takes a decade or more from production to selling, so, ramping production doesn't quickly increase supply).
   465. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 07:02 PM (#5640635)
The Harvard law professor emeritus went on to describe the Mueller investigation as a "legal colonoscopy"

Now, let's see if we can follow this metaphor to its logical and accurate conclusion...
It's obviously fake news. Everyone knows that in order to undergo a colonoscopy, one first needs to, er, empty one's bowels. But Trump is still full of ####.
   466. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 07:16 PM (#5640639)
I didn't realize that Lt. Col. Peters was in on the CrookedHillary plot, but what other explanation could there be for this slanderous FakeNews email?

(((Soros))) got to him or his family.
   467. McCoy Posted: March 20, 2018 at 07:17 PM (#5640640)
I did not tell MAker's MArk that their cask strength sucked. Sorry. They did say that sales are increasing on it and that they will be releasing a new Maker's Mark at the end of April. Apparently they've come across another wood that they really like so they'll be releasing another Maker's 46 style Bourbon then.
   468. Srul Itza Posted: March 20, 2018 at 07:31 PM (#5640643)
Over a five year stretch, I spent a total of over 10 months living in India, mostly Bangalore with a decent chunk in Goa and Mumbai.

Over an 18 or so month stretch in the mid to late 80's, I spent around 6 months in India, mostly in Bhopal, but with some time in Delhi and Mumbai, and I traveled a bit when I had the chance -- Varanasi, Jaipur, Udaipur, Aurangabad, Srinigar, Sanchi, a few other places.

Goa was the furthest south I got there, and the least Indian place I was in India. I did love swimming in that very warm water, and the Tiger Prawns were damn good.
   469. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 20, 2018 at 07:34 PM (#5640645)
It's sad to see Trump's staff and advisors become ill with infectious TDS.

Washington Post: Trump’s national security advisers warned him not to congratulate Putin. He did it anyway.
President Trump did not follow specific warnings from his national security advisers when he congratulated Russian President Vladi­mir Putin Tuesday on his reelection, including a section in his briefing materials in all-capital letters stating “DO NOT CONGRATULATE,” according to officials familiar with the call.

Trump also chose not to heed talking points from aides instructing him to condemn Putin about the recent poisoning of a former Russian spy in the United Kingdom with a powerful nerve agent, a case that both the British and U.S. governments have blamed on Moscow.

The president’s conversation with Putin, which Trump called a “very good call,” prompted fresh criticism of his muted tone toward one of the United States’s biggest geopolitical rivals amid the ongoing special counsel investigation into Russia’s election interference and the Trump campaign’s contacts with Russian officials.

...The White House press office declined to comment on the briefing materials given to Trump. Two people familiar with the notecards acknowledged that they included instructions not to congratulate Putin. ...It was not clear whether Trump read the notes, administration officials said. Trump, who initiated the call, opened it with the congratulations for Putin.
   470. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: March 20, 2018 at 07:35 PM (#5640646)
North: Arctic Circle - Grimsey, Iceland
South: Dunedin, Iceland

Lassus speaks pretty good English for someone who has apparently never left Iceland.

And Bivens, good lord. Do some traveling man!
   471. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 07:38 PM (#5640647)
President Trump did not follow specific warnings from his national security advisers when he congratulated Russian President Vladi­mir Putin Tuesday on his reelection, including a section in his briefing materials in all-capital letters stating “DO NOT CONGRATULATE,” according to officials familiar with the call.

That’s why his Secret Service code name is “Comrade Cockholster”. Seems a little obvious to me, do you think the Deep State is trying to compromise his security?
   472. BrianBrianson Posted: March 20, 2018 at 07:51 PM (#5640654)
Lassus speaks pretty good English for someone who has apparently never left Iceland.

I know two people from Iceland, and both speak flawless English (though one's been in the US for ~30 years).
   473. Lassus Posted: March 20, 2018 at 07:54 PM (#5640657)
Heh. I'm a bit frazzled. Closed on a house today. Move in tomorrow. And right now.

That would be Dunedin, New Zealand. (not the closing, I'm still in the US, I moved about 3500 feet southeast.)
   474. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 07:56 PM (#5640658)
Dunroamin Duncarin Dunedin
   475. BDC Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:01 PM (#5640660)
I'm still in the US, I moved about 3500 feet

You're definitely still in the US, because everybody else calls that "about one kilometer" :)
   476. Lassus Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:05 PM (#5640662)
I don't know what 1491 is.

Because see above and I'm not a drinker and I made up some year when I actually meant 1792 bourbon brand.
   477. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:05 PM (#5640663)
And Bivens, good lord. Do some traveling man!

When they develop a teleporter, maybe.
   478. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:08 PM (#5640664)
India is outrageously fascinating. I love everything about it, except for the things I hate about it, like the pollution, the poverty, and the high chance of death on the highways. I only spent 3 weeks there, but every day has stayed with me, 3 of the most intense and memorable weeks of my life, for good and ill. Not sure when I'll go back, but when I do, I most want to see the hill stations up north and the rivers of Kerala.
   479. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:09 PM (#5640665)
When they develop a teleporter, maybe.

Scared of flying?

I feel like at least one cross-country road trip is basically obligatory for Americans. You gotta see the Grand Canyon. Gotta do Yosemite or Yellowstone. Gotta want to kill yourself from boredom in Kansas or Nebraska. Gotta go to Vegas and decide it should be burned to the ground.
   480. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:10 PM (#5640666)
Scared of getting a middle seat between two fat people.
   481. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:26 PM (#5640669)
I don't know what 1491 is.

It's a post from last week's thread. Without checking, there's a 20% chance #1491 includes the term "TDS."
   482. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:32 PM (#5640671)
I feel like at least one cross-country road trip is basically obligatory for Americans.

Totally agree with this sentiment. Did 6 in 7 years, 6 different routes with as few interstates as possible. Best trip was U.S. 1 from DC up to the starting point of U.S. 2 in Maine, then U.S. 2 to the NY/VT border and into Canada, then picking up U.S. 2 again in Mackinac Island and then taking it all the way to Everett, Washington. I don't think we hit even 100 miles of interstate the entire way.

You gotta see the Grand Canyon. Gotta do Yosemite or Yellowstone.

Check, check, check.

Gotta want to kill yourself from boredom in Kansas or Nebraska.

Nebraska is the only Lower 48 I've never been to, but I love Kansas. Wouldn't want to live there, but sunsets over the plains are something we can't see back in DC.

Gotta go to Vegas and decide it should be burned to the ground.

Why would you need to go there to figure that out?

483. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:36 PM (#5640672)
Scared of getting a middle seat between two fat people.

Just pack a bottle of Morning Breeze** and the problem will quickly resolve itself. Of course you might also want to pack a clothespin.

** Formerly known as Apple Blossom
   484. Ray (CTL) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:38 PM (#5640674)
Facebook offers every advertiser the ability to target ads based on conventional demographic criteria like race and ZIP code.

So Facebook is racist? Surprising.

One would think they would want to encourage diversity in the markets for goods and services ... but apparently not.

As Paul Bernal explains, Facebook skirts criticism -- and the law -- by calling it "racial affinity," not "race":

They allow advertisements to be targeted to particular “racial affinity” groups – or tailored according to “racial affinity”. Not actual race, because that might conflict with various laws, but the race that your profile suggests you have the most “affinity” towards. Racial profiling without the name.
   485. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:39 PM (#5640675)
Totally agree with this sentiment. Did 6 in 7 years, 6 different routes with as few interstates as possible. Best trip was U.S. 1 from DC up to the starting point of U.S. 2 in Maine, then U.S. 2 to the NY/VT border and into Canada, then picking up U.S. 2 again in Mackinac Island and then taking it all the way to Everett, Washington. I don't think we hit even 100 miles of interstate the entire way.

nice, when I drove out west I went through the UP. I almost hit a couple deer driving on 2 through the middle of the night in late october but it was totally worth it for the lifetime Sujan Stevens "the Upper Peninsula" vibes. I drove until Fargo, slept in the truck bed at a rest stop, and then drove like 14 more hours until I was somewhere near bozeman. slept that night in a farmer's field / campsite. Woke up to absolutely spectacular, 360 degree views of the mountains. did the remaining 12 or so to Seattle that day and got into town around 9pm. Mountains to Sound.

God that trip started out awful, (I was moving out to Seattle from NYC with a stop at my parents' place in N. MI), as soon as I pulled onto US 31 N I was behind a oversized load (and it was indeed quite oversized) that I was unable to pass until north of Petoskey. God that sucked. I remember smoking a joint to kick off the trip, and it took like 40 minutes just to get on the other side of Petoskey, what should have been about a 20 minute drive.
   486. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:48 PM (#5640678)
A moron is the POTUS, from NBCNews twitter just now:

President Trump said he did not think inclusion of ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge) drilling lease sales in GOP tax bill was "a big deal," said oil business friend "talked me into it."

I'm not necessarily opposed to opening parts of ANWR (def think we should leave it in the ground for a crisis though or much higher oil prices) for exploration but FFS the thought process he shows is just...childlike.
   487. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:52 PM (#5640681)
Facebook skirts criticism -- and the law -- by calling it "racial affinity," not "race"

I drive a Racial Affinity. Good mileage, though it keeps swerving to try and run over white Hispanics and Italians.
   488. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 20, 2018 at 08:54 PM (#5640682)
God that trip started out awful, (I was moving out to Seattle from NYC with a stop at my parents' place in N. MI), as soon as I pulled onto US 31 N I was behind a oversized load (and it was indeed quite oversized) that I was unable to pass until north of Petoskey. God that sucked. I remember smoking a joint to kick off the trip, and it took like 40 minutes just to get on the other side of Petoskey, what should have been about a 20 minute drive.

I'm not a big fan of interstates unless I'm in a hurry, but I can't say I miss the days when a trip from Washington to Durham, NC had little more than one 3 or 4 lane** highway after another all the way from Springfield to Richmond, and then again from Petersburg to Henderson NC, where I-85 finally kicked in to Durham. Getting stuck behind a tractor trailer in a rainstorm on a 3 lane segment of U.S. 1 is something I wouldn't wish on anyone except maybe Donald Trump. Once you've done that about 10 times a year for a few years in a row, there's not a rush hour Beltway in the country that doesn't seem relaxed and peaceful by comparison, because at least everyone's moving in the same direction.

** That's 3 or 4 lanes total, not 3 or 4 lanes each way.
   489. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 09:04 PM (#5640684)
They allow advertisements to be targeted to particular “racial affinity” groups – or tailored according to “racial affinity”. Not actual race, because that might conflict with various laws, but the race that your profile suggests you have the most “affinity” towards

I don’t see the problem here.
   490. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 20, 2018 at 09:04 PM (#5640685)
Yesterday, Pennsylvania's new district map became a done deal. Today, a resolution to impeach four of the Democratic PA Supreme Court Justices was introduced in the GOP-controlled Pennsylvania Senate. This 538 story from last month games out the strategy.

And congratulations to the Illinois Nazi who today officially became a GOP candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives!
   491. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 09:12 PM (#5640686)
President Trump said he did not think inclusion of ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge) drilling lease sales in GOP tax bill was "a big deal," said oil business friend "talked me into it."

I'm not necessarily opposed to opening parts of ANWR (def think we should leave it in the ground for a crisis though or much higher oil prices) for exploration but FFS the thought process he shows is just...childlike.

The explanation is childish but I feel like this - agreeing to something you don't really understand because a lobbyist told you to do it - is pretty much par for the course in Washington.
   492. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 20, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5640688)
I didn't notice it until today, probably due to the understated signage and it being on the opposite side of a 6-lane road, but my route to the Ballpark of the Palm Beaches goes by the Trump International Golf Club, which is actually across the street from that Ultra "Gentlemens Club" with the large sign announcing "Stormy Daniels: Making America Horny Again, April 13-14", which I mentioned yesterday. I know some of you will want to be there.
   493. BDC Posted: March 20, 2018 at 09:20 PM (#5640689)
They allow advertisements to be targeted to particular “racial affinity” groups – or tailored according to “racial affinity”. Not actual race, because that might conflict with various laws

Are there laws forbidding ads to target ethnic groups? I think advertising would look way different if that were so. I mean, sure, you probably wouldn't want to advertise "White People Wednesdays" or something, but the realities of advertising are hardly neutral.

I remember I once for some reason joined the B'Nai B'rith Book Club. Once a month you would get a book on Zionism or whatever if you didn't check the box declining it. Pretty soon all I got in the mail was ads for things like "ABOVE-GROUND BURIAL: THE JEWISH OPTION." I was a 29-year-old Gentile, but who knows? Advertisers play a long game, and I might still come round.

494. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: March 20, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5640690)
I'm not a big fan of interstates unless I'm in a hurry, but I can't say I miss the days when a trip from Washington to Durham, NC had little more than one 3 or 4 lane** highway after another all the way from Springfield to Richmond, and then again from Petersburg to Henderson NC, where I-85 finally kicked in to Durham. Getting stuck behind a tractor trailer in a rainstorm on a 3 lane segment of U.S. 1 is something I wouldn't wish on anyone except maybe Donald Trump. Once you've done that about 10 times a year for a few years in a row, there's not a rush hour Beltway in the country that doesn't seem relaxed and peaceful by comparison, because at least everyone's moving in the same direction.

They've been trying to extend the freeway up through Petoskey (and to Mackinac eventually) for at least 40 years. It's still just two lane highway (now with a STOP LIGHT for Bay Harbor folks) once you get north of Gaylord on the west side of Michigan.

I'm not sure where I stand on it. Petoskey and Charlevoix locals have mostly been against it (despite the potential tourism bump) for NIMBY reasons but with the economy up there stuck in neutral maybe they'll change their minds. It would certainly help increase some property values at the expense of others. My mom would probably benefit (she lives about 2 miles from Lake Michigan off of 31) but others would have to see a freeway go up next to them.
   495. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 20, 2018 at 09:31 PM (#5640692)
...the large sign announcing "Stormy Daniels: Making America Horny Again, April 13-14", which I mentioned yesterday. I know some of you will want to be there.

I wasn't planning on being horny again until April 18th, but I'll see if I can move a few things around on my calendar.

Then again, if I just want to look at something Donald Trump has fucked, I can always check out an immigration center, the polar ice cap, or my children's retirement fund.
   496. Traderdave Posted: March 20, 2018 at 09:45 PM (#5640693)
Then again, if I just want to look at something Donald Trump has ######, I can always check out an immigration center, the polar ice cap, or my children's retirement fund.

What is the secret for over riding the dirty words nanny? Your post has the f-word but my copy of it is nannied out.
   497. PreservedFish Posted: March 20, 2018 at 10:05 PM (#5640695)
I think I've driven across the country maybe 8 times. I've gone across on I-10 through El Paso, I-40 through Amarillo, I-70 through Kansas, and I-90 through South Dakota. I've also done a long North-to-South, from Vermont to Key West in 2 days. My favorite road is Route 50 through Nevada. California's Route 1 is probably the best, though. I've done that drive through the UP and the loop through Canada, but that was done in the middle of the night and I learned nothing at all about those areas.

I've seen a lot of the country. Top of my list right now is probably Big Bend in Texas, and I'd like to do the Copper Canyon train ride in Northern Mexico. I'll have to plan that before the wall goes up, I suppose.
   498. Ray (CTL) Posted: March 20, 2018 at 10:16 PM (#5640697)

Emphasis added.

Dude. All you had to say was I quit.

But of course, him quitting over this makes little sense, other than as a way to grandstand. He's called on to this network to offer his... opinions. So if his opinion is as laid out above then that's the opinion he should give when asked about Russia or Trump or porn stars. If he gets fired or no longer invited on then that's one thing, but to quit over that is another. It's not like FOX News is the KKK Network where you wouldn't want to appear as an analyst -- or if FOX News _is_ that bad then so is MSNBC and CNN on the flip side.
   499. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 20, 2018 at 10:22 PM (#5640699)
From the Department of Misdirected Suggestions:

Dude. All you had to say was I quit.
   500. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: March 20, 2018 at 10:24 PM (#5640701)
No ray, you see, he has principles and considers politics more than just a zero sum, "winner take all" game. We are all losing when a major media outlet turns into a propaganda arm for a dimwitted madman with authoritarian and kleptocratic instincts.

Page 5 of 21 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Guts
for his generous support.