Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 14, 2018

OTP 2018 May 14: Political leadership, fans needed to bring baseball to Portland: Guest opinion

Today I’m not writing to promote the virtues of Major League Baseball or Portland as a baseball city. I’m writing from the perspective of one who worked on the last successful effort to bring a professional sports team to town—the Portland Timbers—and as someone who has worked in state and local politics for nearly 30 years. Few situations are fraught with as much politics as bringing a professional sports team to a community. If you look closely at cities that have experienced these debates, you’ll often find a combustible mix of political, financial and cultural issues that run deep and can linger for years.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 14, 2018 at 07:28 AM | 1370 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: boondoggle, new stadium, off topic, politics, portland

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 13 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 > 
   1201. Stormy JE Posted: May 19, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5675715)
I went back and checked -- the phrase he used was "incriminating evidence." But of course that's the standard for indictment or prosecution, not the standard for opening an investigation.
Send us a link? Or at least a story date?
   1202. Stormy JE Posted: May 19, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5675721)
Well well well...
BERLIN - Germany's No. 2 lender DZ Bank said on Friday it will suspend financial transactions with Iran in July following U.S. President Donald Trump's pullout from the nuclear deal with Tehran.

Trump's withdrawal of the United States from the accord and his order that sanctions be reimposed have led several European companies to announce their exit from Iran, including French oil major Total earlier this week.

"We will completely suspend our foreign payment transactions related to Iran starting July 1st," said a spokesman for Frankfurt-based DZ Bank, which is the umbrella organization of German cooperative bank chain Raiffeisen-Volksbanken.
European businesses clearly don't give a flying #### what Tusk or other Brussels-based politicos think.
   1203. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 19, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5675736)
Team Trump can howl like stuck pigs, but neither Mueller nor the FBI are going to be paying much attention to their "witch hunt" whining.

Mueller's investigation continues, never mind the months of hysterics from your pals that Trump was on the cusp of shitcanning him.

I've never said he was going to fire Mueller, and I've never believed it for the same reason I don't believe it now: It would be the beginning of the end of his presidency. Even some of his most faithful servants in Congress have told him that. Firing Mueller, much as Trump longs to do in every bone of his body, would simply make it too blatantly obvious that he's got plenty to hide that hasn't yet been revealed, and even the dimmest of independent voters would be able to figure that out. Hence he's going to just have to contend himself with tweeting and trying to make Sessions' DoJ into his de facto defense committee.

As for the Bureau, most of the offenders have exited the building or are cooperating with investigators.

So then what's making you keep prattling on as if those (alleged) offenders' (alleged) crimes were more important than Mueller's findings? Your continuing ability to focus on a tiny handful of trees in a large forest is truly remarkable, though not exactly admirable.
   1204. Zonk cooks his superfish with raisins Posted: May 19, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5675739)
For months and months and months, you laughed off these concerns and now, when confronted with the truth, you shrug and say, yeah, so what? Lies? Shrug. Stonewalls? Shrug. Smears? Shrug.

Let's be clear: If the Bush White House used any resources, let alone MI-6 or Russians affiliated with the FSB, to spy on the Obama campaign because the candidate and his advisors had made clear its desire to try to forge new relationships with Moscow and Tehran, you and the usual jokers here would've gone completely berserk, claiming it was way worse than Watergate.

And that would've been before what happened during the transition and after the inauguration, with Bush people, probably with W's consent, going out of their way to market to the press any information that had been gleaned to sabotage and possibly even topple the incoming White House.

That's some gall - "ugly truth".

You pretend - fake? Lie to yourself? - that Trump has or ever had or ever will some grand or broader idea for some sort of new diplomatic world order or rejiggering of international order or whatever.

But you know - and Clapper knows, and the RNC knows, and Mitch and Paul and Kevin, and every other cocktail circuit apparatchik knows damn well Trump doesn't care about any of that. He's not capable of conceptualizing it.

Trump cares about Trump.

He went from little rocket man to giving NK the diplomatic coup they've wanted for 40 years. He took his first foreign trip and immediately exacerbated an Arabian peninsula diplomatic problem - against the host of our largest ME base, no less - because the hosts who wanted him to do precisely that and arranged lots of big billboards and cheering throngs (at gunpoint!). He spent the entire campaign and his Presidency devaluing any US moral leadership, however imperfect, while lauding dictators, repression, and a total denial of prior US policy (Democratic and Republican) regarding human rights. He went from economic fortress America to saving ZTE. He's staggered wildly from isolationists to neocons.

How stupid do you think ANYONE here is, that it's even worth your typing time to pretend Trump was being "unfairly" targeted for any sort of surveillance.

Whether you want to admit it or not, you know as well as the people reading you that he'd give away anything - from the nation's pockets, not his - in exchange for a pat on the head, cheering throngs, and a tweet.

So why do you do it?

Do you think you can limit the damage - and maybe pickpocket a few policy preferences while the nation careens into parody?

Shame on you.
   1205. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 19, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5675744)
European businesses clearly don't give a flying #### what Tusk or other Brussels-based politicos think.

He's over halfway to cheering dead Iranian children, a la Palestinians.
   1206. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 19, 2018 at 05:23 PM (#5675745)
How stupid do you think ANYONE here is

Given the depths Jason and company have sunk to in defending the indefensible, I think we can assume at least some of them are exceedingly stupid.
   1207. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 06:14 PM (#5675777)
No. It's proving that the people absurdly claiming that the "context" exonerates Trump do not actually have the first clue what the context actually was.

"Proving"?
Indubitably. There was no question. Therefore if one thinks there was a question, then one neither read nor watched the exchange, but instead one is repeating a talking point one heard from someone else.
   1208. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 19, 2018 at 06:15 PM (#5675779)
But you know - and Clapper knows, and the RNC knows, and Mitch and Paul and Kevin, and every other cocktail circuit apparatchik knows damn well Trump doesn't care about any of that. He's not capable of conceptualizing it.

Trump cares about Trump.

That's what JE himself was saying----until Trump got the GOP nomination.
   1209. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 06:26 PM (#5675788)

Send us a link? Or at least a story date?
Yesterday.

EDIT: Correction, I read it yesterday, but it was Thursday.
   1210. Stormy JE Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:15 PM (#5675809)
So then what's making you keep prattling on as if those (alleged) offenders' (alleged) crimes were more important than Mueller's findings?
Um, maybe because they don't receive a get-out-of-jail-free card just because they're no longer in government?
   1211. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:23 PM (#5675812)
Juanabout Juanabout Juanabout.
   1212. Stormy JE Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:25 PM (#5675814)
How stupid do you think ANYONE here is, that it's even worth your typing time to pretend Trump was being "unfairly" targeted for any sort of surveillance.
About as moronic as a dude who fled the country after a monstrous hissy fit and now finds him marooned in Canada, desperate to find a way home?

Oh wait...
   1213. Stormy JE Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:28 PM (#5675816)
He's over halfway to cheering dead Iranian children, a la Palestinians.
Hey, thanks for the reminder:

Denmark's Maersk Tankers ends Iran shipping after renewed US sanctions
   1214. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:31 PM (#5675818)
and now finds him marooned in Canada, desperate to find a way home?

That's an odd phrase. Has his citizenship been revoked? Is the US-Canada border closed? Is he destitute and cannot afford transportation back?

Do you care to back up that statement.
   1215. Stormy JE Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:34 PM (#5675819)
That's what JE himself was saying----until Trump got the GOP nomination.
You know I didn't vote for him.

Well, he's POTUS now and, despite the continuation of the #smdh moments, the past eight or nine months -- the post-Bannon period -- have been successful on balance, certainly better than I had expected.
   1216. Zonk cooks his superfish with raisins Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:42 PM (#5675820)
About as moronic as a dude who fled the country after a monstrous hissy fit and now finds him marooned in Canada, desperate to find a way home?

Spare me, you little lickspittle functionary. You're nothing but a junior valet to bullshit.

The fact of the matter is that you're entire Deep State case rests on the listener willing to be as willfully obtuse as you are.

There are 330 million American, 200 million or so of them, adults. How many of them have been targets of espionage that resulted in successful prosecutions. A couple dozen? Fewer?

And of that handful, how many - rather than being chastened and reflecting on their international interactions, only upped the ante further?

How many campaigns - since Paul Manafort went borscht more than a decade ago - have rung his bell?

Your entire maskirovka is dependent on people willing to be as selectively blind, willfully obtuse, and conveniently forgetful as you.

You should be ashamed.

1217. Stormy JE Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:42 PM (#5675821)
EDIT: Correction, I read it yesterday, but it was Thursday.

The only time in the piece I see "incriminating evidence" is in this sentence:
The Clinton case was a criminal investigation that was predicated on a mountain of incriminating evidence.
So I remain unclear how that buttresses your point. What did I miss?
   1218. Stormy JE Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:45 PM (#5675822)
Do they not have copies of the US Constitution in Canadian libraries, zonk? Sad!
   1219. Zonk cooks his superfish with raisins Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:46 PM (#5675824)
Do they not have copies of the US Constitution in Canadian libraries, zonk? Sad!

Keep avoiding the point.

You know you're doing it. I know you're doing it. Everyone knows you're doing it.

1220. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:48 PM (#5675825)
That's an odd phrase. Has his citizenship been revoked? Is the US-Canada border closed? Is he destitute and cannot afford transportation back?

You're not seriously suggesting that poor persecuted Zonk, who fled the country barely ahead of the jackbooted thugs he repeatedly lectured us about, could actually safely return to the United States anytime he chose? Don't you understand THE PARALLELS? And why would he want to come back? For better job prospects in the Trump economy? That'd be like Jewish refugees returning to Nazi Germany in anticipation of a wartime economic boom. How dumb do you think Zonk is? He'd never do that, would he?
   1221. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2018 at 07:56 PM (#5675827)
You're not seriously suggesting that poor persecuted Zonk, who fled the country barely ahead of the jackbooted thugs he repeatedly lectured us about, could actually safely return to the United States anytime he chose? Don't you understand THE PARALLELS? And why would he want to come back? For better job prospects in the Trump economy? That'd be like Jewish refugees returning to Nazi Germany in anticipation of a wartime economic boom. How dumb do you think Zonk is? He'd never do that, would he?

Take it up with Jason. He's the one who said Zonk was desperate to return. I'm just question why he seems to think Americans in Canada can no longer return (marooned).
   1222. Zonk cooks his superfish with raisins Posted: May 19, 2018 at 08:12 PM (#5675829)

It's quite ironic that as I sip a Witch Shark in anticipation of my last night on the town, it's actually you and Jason that will soon find yourself without the last redoubt.

I've said multiple times that Trump's inherent buffoonery over his malevolence surprised even me.... but regardless.

My prep team wants you to know that I'm welcome back anytime.... but you're not.

They also say that at least their ridiculous politico had a meth/coke problem that thankfully, ended his life before he could do much damage.

Cheers!
   1223. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 19, 2018 at 08:27 PM (#5675833)
So Jason, you have all this wonderful new evidence of ... something. Is it finally time for you to reveal all? Lay out in simple and straight forward terms what exactly you have been crowing about?

Sing for us. Tell us the tale of what happened and how Trump is totally innocent no matter what the Mueller investigation shows.
   1224. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 08:35 PM (#5675834)
The only time in the piece I see "incriminating evidence" is in this sentence:
The Clinton case was a criminal investigation that was predicated on a mountain of incriminating evidence.
Really, Jason? Does Ctrl-F not work on your computer? There are two other times the phrase appears in the column:

1. "In the scheme of things, though, the problem is not that the FBI honored its confidentiality obligations in the Trump case while violating them in the Clinton case. The scandal is that the FBI, lacking the incriminating evidence needed to justify opening a criminal investigation of the Trump campaign, decided to open a counterintelligence investigation."

2. "To the contrary, the bureau opened a counterintelligence investigation in the absence of any (a) incriminating evidence, or (b) evidence implicating the Trump campaign in Russian espionage."

Oh, and by the way, the column does use the word "proof" also; I didn't misremember that: "Even if Putin did want Trump to win, and even if Trump-campaign advisers did have contacts with Kremlin-tied figures, there is no evidence of participation by the Trump campaign in Russia’s espionage. That is the proof that would have been needed to justify investigating Americans. "

The piece gets even more hactackular the more I read it. The part I just quoted with the word "proof" expressly confuses the evidence required for a (FISA) warrant with the evidence required to start an investigation. But McCarthy knows damn well that you don't need proof of such a crime to start an investigation. Indeed, that would be nonsensical. You start the investigation to gather sufficient evidence to get the warrant to gather sufficient evidence for a prosecution.

He says:
But opening up a counterintelligence investigation against Russia is not the same thing as opening up a counterintelligence investigation against the Trump campaign.

The media-Democrat complex has tried from the start to conflate these two things. That explains the desperation to convince the public that Putin wanted Trump to win.
But of course the Senate also concluded that Putin wanted Trump to win.
It explains the stress on contacts, no matter how slight, between Trump campaign figures and Russians.
Yeah, "No matter how slight." Like the candidate's son, son-in-law, and campaign manager meeting with an agent of the Russian government based on the representation that the Russian government wanted to work with the campaign to help Trump win. So "slight." As David French tweeted: "Yep, Russia tried to interfere to help Trump. Yep, Donald Jr. tried to collude. The "witch hunt" narrative took a hit this week, thanks to GOP-controlled committees."
   1225. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 10:03 PM (#5675858)
By the way, I was looking over an old thing and I happened to find this July 2008 link, which is yet another example of McCarthy's awful hackiness: Is There Legitimate Doubt About Obama’s Eligibility to be President?.
had not caught up until today with this apparent controversy over whether the Hawaii birth certificate proffered by Obama’s campaign is a forgery and whether there are legitimate questions about whether he was born in the United States — if he wasn’t, he almost certainly would not be qualified under the Constitution and relevant immigration statutes to be president. Our Jim Geraghty seemed to pooh-pooh the birth certificate controversy about a week ago, but according to the above cited report (at a site called DougRoss@Journal) and a new one from Israeli Insider, there are new developments, and the Obama campaign appears to be stonewalling. Shouldn’t it be a fairly easy matter to prove he was born in Hawaii if he really was? Why wouldn’t Obama just end this quickly?

Is there anything to this?

ADDENDUM: I should add to the above that I am not a conspiracy theorist. My predisposition on the many stories floating around about Obama and his circle is to ignore them on the following theory: If there was really anything to this or that, the Clintons would have found it and gotten their media friends all over it. This story about Obama’s eligibility puzzles me because (a) it is so basic, (b) it should be so easy to prove the relevant facts of his birth, (c) the Obama campaign’s response to the story is bizarre, and (d) it seems to be getting worse rather than resolved.
(That's the whole post, minus internal links.) See, he doesn't come out and issue any conspiracy theories -- in fact, he denies he's a conspiracy theorist! -- but he still manages to JAQ a conspiracy theory. Just like he JAQ the theory that Judge Sullivan had issued a discovery order because Flynn's guilty plea was about to be overturned, when any knowledge or two minutes worth of research would have told him that it was just SOP for Sullivan.

McCarthy. Is. A. Hack. He does not deserve any respect. His analysis does not deserve respect. He won't outright lie, but he's not an honest analyst.
   1226. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: May 19, 2018 at 10:07 PM (#5675859)
ADDENDUM: I should add to the above that I am not a conspiracy theorist.

"P.S. I am not a crackpot."
   1227. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2018 at 10:48 PM (#5675870)
Guns don kill people. Doors kill people

(CNN)Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick blamed Friday's massacre at a high school near Houston in part on "too many entrances and too many exits" on the campus, prompting some to mock his perspective as "door control."

"From what we know, this student walked in ... with a long coat and a shotgun under his coat," said Patrick, a Republican who has an A+ rating from the National Rifle Association. "It's 90 degrees. Had there been one single entrance possibly for every student, maybe he would have been stopped."

Patrick, who has previously pushed for open carry and concealed carry laws in Texas, made the comments during a news conference on the same day a 17-year-old student allegedly opened fire with a shotgun and a revolver at Santa Fe High School, killing 10 people and injuring at least 10 others. The firearms were owned by the suspect's father, Texas' governor has said.

While Patrick also implored parents who own guns to lock them safely away, he focused his remarks not on weapons but on redesigning school entryways. In placing a focus on doors, Patrick seemingly fell in line with the powerful gun-lobbying group's strategy following school-shooting incidents of identifying possible ways -- apart from restricting firearms -- to make campuses safer.

Anything. ANYTHING. ANYTHING but guns as a reason for another massacre.
   1228. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 11:18 PM (#5675875)

I think we ought to rush out and ban MilitaryStyleAssaultWeapons to prevent shootings like the one in Santa Fe. Also we need to CloseTheGunShowLoophole.
   1229. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 11:23 PM (#5675877)
(Or should I say, Ray’s second ridiculous argument; his first was the one above that it’s unfair to expect Rudy not to lie, because he’s representing a client now.)

Really. Why don't you enlighten us as to whether you would give the exact commentary on an issue (1) when not representing a client and just speaking freely to the media and (2) twenty years later, when representing a client who is faced with a similar issue.

You know damned well you wouldn't, so what is the purpose of your act here?
   1230. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2018 at 11:24 PM (#5675878)
I think we ought to rush out and ban MilitaryStyleAssaultWeapons to prevent shootings like the one in Santa Fe. Also we need to CloseTheGunShowLoophole.

Do YOU think too many doors is the problem?
   1231. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 11:25 PM (#5675879)
Basic indeed. You have to aggressively misrepresent Trump to conclude that Trump was calling illegal immigrants animals. He was responding to a question about that stupid gang.

One can tell who is a serious commenter by whether he is reciting this talking point in defense of Trump. It is absolutely false, and shows that you did not actually see or read the exchange. There was in fact no question whatsoever.

You can't be serious.

I don't engage in the pedant insults, but this is why people call you one.
   1232. greenback took the 110 until the 105 Posted: May 19, 2018 at 11:29 PM (#5675881)

I agree with the premise of your argument, but considered in light of other information, the consequence of that premise is not promising for libertarians.
   1233. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 11:37 PM (#5675883)
No. It's proving that the people absurdly claiming that the "context" exonerates Trump do not actually have the first clue what the context actually was.

"Proving"?

Indubitably. There was no question. Therefore if one thinks there was a question, then one neither read nor watched the exchange, but instead one is repeating a talking point one heard from someone else.

One wonders where you got _your_ talking point from.

YC posted Trump's comments here the other day.

And he did so in response to Hot Wheeling American posting a tweet that took Trump's comments wholly out of context and dishonestly spun them to pretend they said something they didn't:

446. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 16, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5673745)
@elisefoley:
“These aren’t people. These are animals.” - Trump says of (some of) the immigrants being deported during his sanctuary cities roundtable

The leader of the Republican Party, folks. And the United States of America :(
   1234. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 11:46 PM (#5675886)
This from the McCarthy who hacktastically yesterday claimed that one doesn't open an investigation until one has proof of a crime.

I've yet to understand on what grounds McCarthy's a "hack," other than you disagree with a number of his points. It's beneath you to do this. I've read pretty much every column he's written on this issue and remember vividly how slow he was to catch on to Bureau malfeasance.

Come on, Jason. McCarthy is a hack.

A hack who once prosecuted the Blind Sheik, but a hack nonetheless.
   1235. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 11:46 PM (#5675887)

If it is it’s only because building codes demand you install all these fire exists.
   1236. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 19, 2018 at 11:57 PM (#5675889)

You're trying to do the equivalent of stopping rainy days. There's no way to stop this because there will always be mentally ill kids who become activated. It either fades away organically or it doesn't. And believing gun control will do anything to reduce the problem is simpleton thinking. If all guns magically disappeared tomorrow some mentally ill bullied kid would drive his car down the sidelines of a soccer game instead.
   1237. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 19, 2018 at 11:59 PM (#5675890)
You're trying to do the equivalent of stopping rainy days. There's no way to stop this because there will always be mentally ill kids who become activated. It either fades away organically or it doesn't. And believing gun control will do anything to reduce the problem is simpleton thinking. If all guns magically disappeared tomorrow some mentally ill bullied kid would drive his car down the sidelines of a soccer game instead.

Do YOU believe too many doors is the problem?
   1238. tshipman Posted: May 20, 2018 at 12:01 AM (#5675891)
You're trying to do the equivalent of stopping rainy days. There's no way to stop this because there will always be mentally ill kids who become activated.

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
   1239. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 12:02 AM (#5675893)
Ray to David N, #1229:
Why don't you enlighten us as to whether you would give the exact commentary on an issue (1) when not representing a client and just speaking freely to the media and (2) twenty years later, when representing a client who is faced with a similar issue.

David refuses to concede the indisputable truth. It's okay for Rudy Guiliani to lie to erode the legitimacy of the investigation, but it's unacceptable for CNN to use facts to erode the legitimacy of Rudy Giuliani.

1240. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 12:07 AM (#5675894)

Really. Why don't you enlighten us as to whether you would give the exact commentary on an issue (1) when not representing a client and just speaking freely to the media and (2) twenty years later, when representing a client who is faced with a similar issue.

I have no idea what the significance of "twenty years later" is supposed to be. (I mean, the law could've changed in the interim -- but if so, that would be the obvious response. ("Well, when I said it, the law was X, but since then the law has changed.") And that's obviously not the issue here.) So we can toss that part of your question out as a red herring. So the rest of your question is whether I would give the same commentary when representing a client and when not representing a client. The answer is yes, insofar as I am describing what the law is. Certainly, when I am advocating for a client, my job is to try to convince a court (or I guess the court of public opinion, though I've never acted in that capacity) to interpret uncertain law (and facts) in my client's favor. But I don't tell the court that the law is X if the law is not X. That's not advocacy; that's lying. Nor do I tell the court that the law is X if it's unclear whether the law is X. That's also not advocacy; that's also lying.

And I note that Rudy did not say, in response to Cuomo, "Well, in 1998 I was giving my honest opinion; now I'm saying what's in the best interests of my client."
   1241. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 12:14 AM (#5675895)

The simple answer is that I don't think there's a problem in the first place. Our schools are safe. But based on the notion that we MustDoSomething and that IfItSavesOneLifeIt'sAGoodIdea, I sure as hell don't think that semiautomatic rifles or lack of background checks for private gun transactions is. Given that, you know, neither played a role here. Now, I haven't read enough about the incident to know whether the layout of the school played a role in this specific shooting, so I can't say yes or no to your question. But there's hardly something mockworthy about the idea that one can more easily secure a location if there are fewer accessible entrances and exits.
   1242. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 12:17 AM (#5675896)
Do YOU believe too many doors is the problem?

As usual, CNN posted a hacktastic article, and -- as usual -- you signed on to it.

Do you know how we can tell the article is a hack job? Because "blamed" is CNN's word, not Patrick's word. Watch carefully what's in quotes and what isn't:

(CNN)Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick blamed Friday's massacre at a high school near Houston in part on "too many entrances and too many exits" on the campus, prompting some to mock his perspective as "door control."

They don't just objectively report what he said. They cast their own light on what he said. All through the article.

Patrick didn't "blame" the massacre on that. He wasn't addressing the problem of why kids shoot up schools, and how to prevent that core problem. He was addressing the problem of safeguarding schools against it.

Enter CNN to take him out of context. But there's more:

Patrick, who has previously pushed for open carry and concealed carry laws in Texas, made the comments during a news conference on the same day a 17-year-old student allegedly opened fire with a shotgun and a revolver at Santa Fe High School, killing 10 people and injuring at least 10 others. The firearms were owned by the suspect's father, Texas' governor has said.

Yes, if only it were illegal to conceal a weapon this kid wouldn't have violated that law, just like he didn't violate the murder law.

Really, the arguments from you folks get more and more ludicrous.

And oh, by the way, Patrick DID address the issue of kids getting their hands on guns, but CNN handwaves that away while criticizing Patrick anyway, for "seemingly" doing something CNN doesn't like:

While Patrick also implored parents who own guns to lock them safely away, he focused his remarks not on weapons but on redesigning school entryways. In placing a focus on doors, Patrick seemingly fell in line with the powerful gun-lobbying group's strategy following school-shooting incidents of identifying possible ways -- apart from restricting firearms -- to make campuses safer.

Please.

But wait, there's more: CNN identifies lobbying groups as "powerful" when the groups are lobbying for something CNN doesn't like, but not when they're lobbying for something CNN does like.
   1243. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 12:18 AM (#5675897)
You can't be serious.
I am, and don't call me Shirley.

Did you either watch or read the exchange? If not, why are you claiming that the context exonerates him, when you don't/can't know the context? If you did watch or read it, why did you say that he was responding to a question? He wasn't. I mean, this isn't debatable.

One wonders where you got _your_ talking point from.
I read the exchange. I originally believed the talking point that he was responding to a question, until I went and checked the original source. But try again with your IKYABWAI.
   1244. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 12:47 AM (#5675902)
There is no meaningful point to be made as to whether it was a question or a comment he was responding to. You trumpeting this is head scratching indeed.
   1245. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 02:01 AM (#5675904)

There is no meaningful point to be made as to whether it was a question or a comment he was responding to. You trumpeting this is head scratching indeed.
I note that you don't even bother to deny that you neither read nor watched the exchange. I think FLTB's favorite response would, for a change, actually be applicable here.

I concede that it is a bit puzzling why you would claim that the context exonerates Trump when you didn't know the context.
   1246. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 06:40 AM (#5675907)
The point:
He wasn't addressing the problem of why kids shoot up schools, and how to prevent that core problem. He was addressing the problem of safeguarding schools against it.
He wasn't addressing the problem of why kids shoot up schools, and how to prevent that core problem. He was addressing the problem of safeguarding schools against it.
He wasn't addressing the problem of why kids shoot up schools, and how to prevent that core problem.
HE WASN'T ADDRESSING THE PROBLEM
Get it?
   1247. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 06:46 AM (#5675908)
IfItSavesOneLifeThirtyFiveKidsLivesintheLastHundredDaysorsoIt'sAGoodIdea
/pedantry
   1248. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 06:51 AM (#5675909)
Mother of student killed at Santa Fe High School says suspect pursued her daughter for several months

More on why women have no reason to fear men. Peggy is no match for sabermetrics.
   1249. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 07:53 AM (#5675913)
So it’s feminism that’s to blame, isn’t it. I told you stuck-up ####### you’d be sorry one day!
   1250. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 20, 2018 at 08:28 AM (#5675916)
If all guns magically disappeared tomorrow some mentally ill bullied kid would drive his car down the sidelines of a soccer game instead.
What an idiot. There are ways to keep cars off of soccer fields. They're called barricades. (As if it would ever become as epidemic as gun violence.)
   1251. spycake Posted: May 20, 2018 at 08:56 AM (#5675917)
Do you know how we can tell the article is a hack job? Because "blamed" is CNN's word, not Patrick's word. Watch carefully what's in quotes and what isn't:

Here is more of Patrick's quote: "There are too many entrances and too many exits to our 8,000 campuses in Texas. There aren’t enough people to put a guard at every entrance and exit... Had there been one single entrance possibly for every student, maybe he would have been stopped."

It seems quite reasonable to interpret that he is assigning some blame for the outcome on the number of doors at the school.
   1252. Jess Franco Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:06 AM (#5675924)
Lock all the doors except one, then the little sociopath can set the school on fire and sit outside the one exit with a rifle.

I note all these shooting happen at public schools. Nothing a school voucher program wouldn't fix, and more charter schools where they can keep out the psychos in the first place.

#Betsy
   1253. Jess Franco Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5675925)
What if the kid is an archery fiend like the fictional Kevin we need to talk about?
   1254. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:14 AM (#5675928)
If CNN contradicts a speaker, it's a drive-by.

If CNN doesn't allow a speaker to define the terms of the reporting, they're sandbagging.

If CNN characterizes a speaker, they're hacktastic.

CNN's sole job is to hit a "record" button and then crawl into a hole. The hallowed hole of journalism.
   1255. Jess Franco Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:14 AM (#5675930)
If you really think about it, the world is ruled by Satan. If women stay home and teach the kids, they'll all be safe from vehicular manslaughter as well. Plus the sexual harrassers will have many fewer targets.
   1256. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:15 AM (#5675931)
Mother of student killed at Santa Fe High School says suspect pursued her daughter for several months

Inaccessible vaginas are the real school bullies.
   1257. Jess Franco Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:16 AM (#5675932)
CNN's sole job is to hit a "record" button and then crawl into a hole. The hallowed hole of journalism.

Just like Kadafi.
   1258. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:18 AM (#5675933)
Just like Kadafi.

Wasn't that Saddam?

You're off of ignore. You're kind of funny sometimes.

edit...it was both.
   1259. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5675939)
If CNN contradicts a speaker, it's a drive-by.

If CNN doesn't allow a speaker to define the terms of the reporting, they're sandbagging.

If CNN characterizes a speaker, they're hacktastic.

But when Fox News does all of that, they're Fair and Balanced.
   1260. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5675968)
People are having plenty o' fun with Trump's latest diarrhetic Twitter spurt.

Mike Barnicle:
Read Sunday AM tweets from @realDonaldTrump: they are a portrait of a man alone, paranoid, isolated, hearing the footsteps, anxious, untrusting, knowing what will be revealed, intent on creating diversions, consumed with his own future, not the country’s.

Carter Klein:
These are the sane tweets of someone who has done nothing wrong.

Tea Pain:
You can’t read Trump’s 6 nut-ball tweets this mornin’ about Mueller and not get the feelin’ that Trump expects something big’s about to happen.

Robert R. O'Brien:
People need to realize that when @realDonaldTrump accuses, he's actually confessing. Almost every time he tweets about somebody else and accuses them of something, he's done the same thing.

Que Será:
Every time Donald Trump tweets, a Democratic Representative gets its wings.

David Corn:
You seem to be working very hard on this beautiful Sunday. But you should know the DNC turned over the info on the servers to the FBI. How about we see everything on the Trump servers? And all the blocked number calls?

Chris Jackson:
Imagine reading his whiny ass tweets and still thinking Trump is some alpha tough guy.

Pé Resists:
It must really get under Trump's skin that hardly anything he tweets about trends on Twitter.

Winston Smith:
Kinda like the old Peanuts movies when the parents would talk... and all we would hear is “bwa wha wha wha whon.”

Donald J. Trump (joke account @realdonaldtripe):
My GOOD FRIEND President Xi of CHINA just gave me a BRAND NEW ZTE phone to use for my TWEETS! He called them "the GREATEST political writings in American history since the Declaration of Independence"! He said it has NO SPYWARE, so CIA, DOD & NSA can RELAX!

Gale Scheelar:
Can you please go golfing for the day.
   1261. BDC Posted: May 20, 2018 at 12:54 PM (#5675972)
Trump this morning: "They have found no Collussion with Russia."

Once in a while, though, he will get off a phrase or two that you can easily imagine being tweeted by Samuel Pepys:

"What ever happened to the Server, at the center of so much Corruption,"

though he can't sustain it long.
   1262. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 01:05 PM (#5675976)
They have found no Collussion with Russia Al.
   1263. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 20, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5675992)
If all guns magically disappeared tomorrow some mentally ill bullied kid would drive his car down the sidelines of a soccer game instead.
What an idiot. There are ways to keep cars off of soccer fields. They're called barricades. (As if it would ever become as epidemic as gun violence.)
That's so passive. Better solution: draft all the soccer coaches into the National Guard and give them anti-tank guns. Notice how none of these terrorist kids has attacked the army.
   1264. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 20, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5675993)
@billkristol:
If the purpose of investigating the Trump campaign had been to help Clinton, any dubious foreign connections that might have damaged Trump would have been leaked in October. They weren't. If anything, the Obama DOJ and FBI bent over backward not to hurt Trump or help Clinton.

@Peter_Wehner:
I thought the attacks on the special counsel during the Bill Clinton scandals were deplorable. But there was not same the degree of crazed conspiratorial thinking/institutional nihilism we're seeing on the right. The Clinton years were bad; this is worse.

@loudobbs:
Transparency will be one of @POTUS’s many lasting legacies to our great country. And now critical to defeating the seditious deep state and globalist elites. #MAGA #AmericaFirst #TrumpTrain #Dobbs
   1265. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 20, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5676009)
Oh, joy, here's another opportunity for Clapper and JE to weigh in on the dangers of political interference in the DoJ:

Trump says he will call for Justice Department to probe whether FBI surveilled his campaign for ‘political purposes’
President Trump said Sunday that he would demand that the Justice Department explore whether it or the FBI “infiltrated or surveilled the Trump Campaign for Political Purposes” — escalating a battle over federal law enforcement's use of a confidential source to aid its probe into whether the Trump campaign and Russia coordinated to influence the 2016 election.

Trump wrote on Twitter, “I hereby demand, and will do so officially tomorrow**, that the Department of Justice look into whether or not the FBI/DOJ infiltrated or surveilled the Trump Campaign for Political Purposes - and if any such demands or requests were made by people within the Obama Administration!”

The tweet seemed to be a response to recent reports about the FBI using a longtime intelligence asset to advance its investigation into Russian election meddling. Trump and his allies have seized on the use of the asset to claim that the FBI has spied on his campaign.

The president's impending demand is significant in its own right: the nation's chief executive ordering an investigation into the investigation of his campaign. But it also could presage more important developments.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) has sought documents on the FBI's use of the asset and, so far, has been rebuffed by Justice Department leaders, who worry that exposing the source or the source's work could put him in danger. The FBI had been working over the past two weeks to mitigate the potential damage if the asset's identity were revealed, according to several people familiar with the matter.

Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz announced in March that he would explore controversial applications to surveil former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, along with the department’s relationship with a former British intelligence officer who provided information cited for those requests. That review, which will assess whether the FBI and the Justice Department complied with the law and their own policies in requesting and carrying out the surveillance, might already cover at least part of what the president is requesting. Horowitz also said that he would examine other matters that might arise during his review.

It is possible that Horowitz’s work might have naturally led him to look at the FBI’s use of the confidential source, who had contact with Page, in the Russia investigation. The Justice Department would not necessarily chafe at an internal look at its conduct.

What would be considerably more explosive would be for the president to order the Justice Department to turn over documents on the confidential source to Congress — which department leaders have said they are unwilling to do. The president could order the department to produce the materials, but that would spark significant backlash in the department and the broader intelligence community**. ...

That's assuming the DoJ is made up of men rather than scared little mice. We'll see what their response is.

And what's next? A CREEP campaign rally in front of the DoJ building? This is getting into Huey Long territory.

** Emphasis added

1266. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 20, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5676014)
What would be considerably more explosive would be for the president to order the Justice Department to turn over documents on the confidential source to Congress — which department leaders have said they are unwilling to do. The president could order the department to produce the materials, but that would spark significant backlash in the department and the broader intelligence community. ...

The Washington Post printed just about every possible identifying detail of Stefan Halper in its Friday article about the FBI informant spying on the Trump campaign; but on Sunday it claims that confirming his name would be improper? That's hilarious.

In Andy's world:

WaPo Reader (After Friday Article): "Aren't all those details a perfect match for Stefan Halper?"
FBI: "You're under arrest."
   1267. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 20, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5676023)
So what's the reason for not revealing his name, #1 Monkey?
   1268. DavidFoss Posted: May 20, 2018 at 04:30 PM (#5676032)
The Washington Post printed just about every possible identifying detail of Stefan Halper in its Friday article about the FBI informant spying on the Trump campaign;

FWIW, wikipedia activity on Halper's page pertaining to this issue started on May 11th. An "edit war" discussion on the talk page started on May 12th. Admins put the page in a 'protected status' on May 15. All this predates the May 18th WaPo article.
   1269. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 20, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5676039)
IOW, Monkey #1 is talking out of his ass. Again.
   1270. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 20, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5676049)
Bivens, you don't seem to understand the issue or chronology. Maybe you should do some reading before embarrassing yourself further?
   1271. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 20, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5676054)
Your hero Trump doesn't read.

I am reading. I read you grasping at straws here every day.

Here's a challenge for you: Look at all the tweets quoted in 1260 and do your Monkey Dance to refute their claims or inferences.

edit...include the tweets quoted in 1264.

Dance, Monkey! Dance!
   1272. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5676059)
Has the CA GOP's inability to put anyone forward who got more votes in the Senate Primary than Nazi Patrick Little come up here? Or was it lost in Jason and Clapper's backwash of Clinton problems?
   1273. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: May 20, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5676064)
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

The U.S. isn't anywhere close to the lead in per-capita school shootings. Stop getting your news from a satire site, dunce.
   1274. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 20, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5676067)
The U.S. isn't anywhere close to the lead in per-capita school shootings. Stop getting your news from a satire site, dunce.

The satire sight uses that quote every time there's a mass shooting anywhere, not just at schools.

Now make your claim, ass hole.
   1275. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5676076)
Also, let me save Yankee Trollneck the trouble:

South Carolina NAACP President Claims He Was Racially Profiled During Traffic Stop, but Bodycam Video Tells a Different Story
And that, apparently, is when Moultrie’s story started to fall apart.

“Once I got a copy of that bodycam, it’s as if he made the whole story up. And I felt like he set us back 100 years, because think about all of the racial profiling cases [that] are true,” Waters told the news station.

Waters said that the officer was very kind during the entire four-minute stop.

Timmonsville Police Chief Billy Brown also got involved, saying that Moultrie had reached out to him with accusations of having been raciallly profiled.

“[Moultrie] made a comment that the officer accused him of having drugs in the car. He said that his wife and grandchild was in the car. He asked them not to move because the officer looked as if he might shoot them or something. He also made mention that the officer continued to ask him about his neighborhood. ‘Why was he in that neighborhood?’ And threaten[ed] to put him in jail in reference to something dealing with the registration to the vehicle,” Brown recalled.

Brown said he investigated, only to find that that was apparently not true.
   1276. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5676091)
Now make your claim, ass hole.

Do I look like Sergey Brin, motherfucker? You can find copious references to half of western Europe having higher rates of any type of mass shooting, with Norway leading the way, in two seconds. The rate of inane monkey jabber suggests you're not busy.
   1277. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:19 PM (#5676096)
If you take that one isolated incident in Norway out of the discussion, they don't show up on the list at all.
   1278. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5676097)
There's also this, in the lies, damned lies, ands statistics file:
Last weekend's massacre in Las Vegas is only the latest reminder of the persistent gun violence in the United States. And a new set of statistics on the rates of gun violence unrelated to conflict underscores just how outsize U.S. rates of gun deaths are compared with those in much of the rest of the world.

Take countries with the top indicators of socioeconomic success — income per person and average education level, for instance. The United States ranks ninth in the world among them, bested only by the likes of Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Iceland, Andorra, Canada and Finland.

Those countries all also enjoy low rates of gun violence, but the U.S. has the 31st highest rate in the world: 3.85 deaths due to gun violence per 100,000 people in 2016. That was eight times higher than the rate in Canada, which had .48 deaths per 100,000 people — and 27 times higher than the one in Denmark, which had .14 deaths per 100,000.
   1279. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5676099)
Kill the messenger.

CNN says your full of ####.
   1280. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5676102)
I Camped Out Overnight for This Photo of Harry and Meghan and I Regret Nothing
All night, Thames River Valley police strolled up and down the avenue, so friendly that after a decade of scowling NYPD officers it was a little unnerving
I highly recommend the experience of watching a British person politely but firmly inform an encroacher that in fact this is their prime spot on the barrier, thanks very much.
   1281. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5676106)

Nice.
   1282. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:41 PM (#5676108)
Not sure how your comment follows frome mine, but I see that the Onion is in the business of recycling their headlines.

Since we're talking about The Onion's piece again, let's not forget the King of Comedy, Esq. thinking he called out the satire site for re-using a story when that's the total ####### point.
   1283. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:42 PM (#5676109)
The United States ranks ninth in the world among them, bested only by the likes of Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Iceland, Andorra, Canada and Finland.

Why use "by the likes of," if you are going to proceed to give the full set. "The likes of" implies that you are about to give an example (or a few) of a type, that is a good archetype for the other members of the group. Not list all of them.
   1284. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:45 PM (#5676111)
Not sure how your comment follows frome mine, but I see that the Onion is in the business of recycling their headlines.

And in case Bright Boy hadn't noticed it, the events that trigger that repeated Onion headline also seem to repeat themselves on an similarly regular basis. It's not as if The Onion is just posting that headline at random intervals.
   1285. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 05:50 PM (#5676114)
And in case Bright Boy hadn't noticed it, the events that trigger that repeated Onion headline also seem to repeat themselves on an similarly regular basis

Comedy is hard.
   1286. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5676115)
Last weekend's massacre in Las Vegas is only the latest reminder of the persistent gun violence in the United States. And a new set of statistics on the rates of gun violence unrelated to conflict underscores just how outsize U.S. rates of gun deaths are compared with those in much of the rest of the world.

Now let’s compare the US’s overall murder or violence rate to that of the rest of the world, rather than obsessing about “gun violence.”

Seems to me that there are a great many countries with worse violence/murder rates than the US.
   1287. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: May 20, 2018 at 06:30 PM (#5676117)
Seems to me that there are a great many countries with worse violence/murder rates than the US.

Yeah, but they are all countries, that the owner of the orange cheeto you love to fellate, would describe as "shithole countries."

According to wikipedia, the US ranks a solid 126th in intentional homicide rate. Behind 'the likes of' Iran, Kazakhstan, Rwanda, and the Ukraine, which is still effectively an active war zone. The US is 2 whole spots ahead of libertarian paradise Somalia though!

The US rate of 4.86 is more than double of any other first world country I can see on that list with a quick scan. I don't see anyone worse than Belgium at 1.95. Most of the better first world countries, are under 1.

If you don't think the US is a huge outlier, for the wealth and standard of living it has, you are either completely blind, or completely disingenuous.
   1288. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 20, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5676118)

The Good News: The murder rate in the U.S. is only the 94th highest in the world.

The Not-so-Good News: None of the 93 countries above it are First World in any usual sense of the word. The closest to it would probably be Argentina and Peru.

EDIT: complimentary complementary coke to Fancy Pants
   1289. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 06:44 PM (#5676121)
Not sure why non-first world countries don’t count.

But as long as we’re moving the goalposts for that, let’s adjust for size of population as well.
   1290. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 06:49 PM (#5676122)
Yes, let's adjust a rate for the size of population.
   1291. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 20, 2018 at 06:53 PM (#5676124)

Because we should hold ourselves to a higher standard than the likes of Venezuela and South Africa?

But as long as we’re moving the goalposts for that, let’s adjust for size of population as well.

Sure, lets' eliminate the likes of Monserrat, who's 1 homicide gives them a rate 4X higher than ours. A good number, not all, not even most, of those countries higher than ours are trivial examples.
   1292. tshipman Posted: May 20, 2018 at 06:57 PM (#5676126)

Just out of morbid curiosity ... is Sociologist Ray saying that larger countries should have a higher or lower murder rate than smaller countries?
   1293. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: May 20, 2018 at 07:00 PM (#5676127)
Not in any way pro-gun, but just for bomb-throwing's sake, I'll point out that if you adjust for racial differences, the US homicide rate would still be higher than every other first world nation, but by a lot less.
   1294. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: May 20, 2018 at 07:23 PM (#5676130)

Because standard of living is probably the single biggest factor when it comes to violent crime. People who are desperate, or feel like they have nothing to lose, have much more incentive to commit violent crimes. Whereas lawyers who live in cushy Trump condos usually feel like there is a lot more downside to it, and much less to be gained.

I mean do you honestly think it is some bizarre coincidence, that all of the non-US first world countries are clustered around the top of the table? Do you think we should not adjust for park effects, or run environments either?
   1295. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 07:24 PM (#5676131)
Nice.
I do agree it's a perfect nickname, thanks.
   1296. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 07:35 PM (#5676133)
Yeah good luck with that. *finger guns*
   1297. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 20, 2018 at 07:38 PM (#5676134)
Because standard of living is probably the single biggest factor when it comes to violent crime. People who are desperate, or feel like they have nothing to lose, have much more incentive to commit violent crimes. Whereas lawyers who live in cushy Trump condos usually feel like there is a lot more downside to it, and much less to be gained.

I mean do you honestly think it is some bizarre coincidence, that all of the non-US first world countries are clustered around the top of the table? Do you think we should not adjust for park effects, or run environments either?

This is all true, but the US is large, and contains multitudes, and certainly many, not insignificant parts of the US are like a third world country, and a good many of out homicides occur there. But we still have a large number in affluent, or at least non-third world places like Orlando, Parkland, FL, the Las Vegas strip..., and now Santa Fe, TX.
   1298. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 20, 2018 at 07:39 PM (#5676136)
Sandy Hook.
   1299. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 07:43 PM (#5676138)
I guess I want to bring more attention to the great headline for incels and those men who feel like the new sexual dynamics have left men and boys emasculated:

Texas school shooter killed girl who turned down his advances and embarrassed him in class, her mother says
One of Pagourtzis' classmates who died in the attack, Shana Fisher, "had 4 months of problems from this boy," her mother, Sadie Rodriguez, wrote in a private message to the Los Angeles Times on Facebook. "He kept making advances on her and she repeatedly told him no."
Harrassed a girl for weeks, until
Pagourtzis continued to get more aggressive, and she finally stood up to him and embarrassed him in class, Rodriguez said.
Poor baby. Well, he showed her.
"A week later he opens fire on everyone he didn't like," she wrote. "Shana being the first one."
Good job, L.A. TIMES. You really put the issue of why girls should just say yes above the fold.

They did at least reprint the statement from the kid's family, saying how sweet a boy he was. Seem like it:
When the shooter left the room briefly, Abel and others left the closet and tried to barricade the door. But the shooter pushed it open, spotted a student he knew, and with anger said, "Surprise!" before shooting the student in the chest.
After scrambling to escape the shooter's blasts in the art room, Isabelle Van Ness, covered in dust from rounds hitting her classroom walls, could hear the shooter in a next-door classroom yelling, "Woo hoo!" while shooting, according to her mother, Deedra Van Ness.

"The gunman then comes back into their room and they hear him saying … are you dead? Then more shots are fired," Deedra Van Ness wrote. "By this time, cell phones all over the classroom are ringing and he's taunting the kids in the closet asking them … do you think it's for you? do you want to come answer it? Then he proceeds to fire more bullets into the closet and tries to get in."

Again, L.A. Times, you really got to the heart of the story with that headline. Nice work.

1300. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 07:51 PM (#5676139)
flip
Page 13 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.