Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 14, 2018

OTP 2018 May 14: Political leadership, fans needed to bring baseball to Portland: Guest opinion

Today I’m not writing to promote the virtues of Major League Baseball or Portland as a baseball city. I’m writing from the perspective of one who worked on the last successful effort to bring a professional sports team to town—the Portland Timbers—and as someone who has worked in state and local politics for nearly 30 years. Few situations are fraught with as much politics as bringing a professional sports team to a community. If you look closely at cities that have experienced these debates, you’ll often find a combustible mix of political, financial and cultural issues that run deep and can linger for years.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 14, 2018 at 07:28 AM | 1370 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: boondoggle, new stadium, off topic, politics, portland

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 14 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 12 13 14
   1301. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 07:52 PM (#5676140)
From the flip, because I think it's important:

I guess I want to bring more attention to the great headline for incels and those men who feel like the new sexual dynamics have left men and boys emasculated:

Texas school shooter killed girl who turned down his advances and embarrassed him in class, her mother says
One of Pagourtzis' classmates who died in the attack, Shana Fisher, "had 4 months of problems from this boy," her mother, Sadie Rodriguez, wrote in a private message to the Los Angeles Times on Facebook. "He kept making advances on her and she repeatedly told him no."
Harrassed a girl for weeks, until
Pagourtzis continued to get more aggressive, and she finally stood up to him and embarrassed him in class, Rodriguez said.
Poor baby. Well, he showed her.
"A week later he opens fire on everyone he didn't like," she wrote. "Shana being the first one."
Good job, L.A. TIMES. You really put the issue of why girls should just say yes above the fold.

They did at least reprint the statement from the kid's family, saying how sweet a boy he was. Seem like it:
When the shooter left the room briefly, Abel and others left the closet and tried to barricade the door. But the shooter pushed it open, spotted a student he knew, and with anger said, "Surprise!" before shooting the student in the chest.
After scrambling to escape the shooter's blasts in the art room, Isabelle Van Ness, covered in dust from rounds hitting her classroom walls, could hear the shooter in a next-door classroom yelling, "Woo hoo!" while shooting, according to her mother, Deedra Van Ness.

"The gunman then comes back into their room and they hear him saying … are you dead? Then more shots are fired," Deedra Van Ness wrote. "By this time, cell phones all over the classroom are ringing and he's taunting the kids in the closet asking them … do you think it's for you? do you want to come answer it? Then he proceeds to fire more bullets into the closet and tries to get in."

Again, L.A. Times, you really got to the heart of the story with that headline. Nice work.
   1302. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 08:29 PM (#5676147)

Pushing back against the Trump talking point that the FBI/DOJ/MSM is to blame for identifying the "spy" [sic] against Trump's campaign: 'The Day that We Can't Protect Human Sources': The President and the House Intelligence Committee Burn an Informant. The story confirms my understanding that it was Trump supporters who leaked the information about the guy, including his name. And this, "Oh my gosh, I am shocked to find out that the MSM is revealing all this info about him that would allow him to be identified" is disingenuous, since he had already been identified by right wing media thanks to leaks from Nunes's crew.
   1303. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5676148)
The point:
He wasn't addressing the problem of why kids shoot up schools, and how to prevent that core problem. He was addressing the problem of safeguarding schools against it.
He wasn't addressing the problem of why kids shoot up schools, and how to prevent that core problem. He was addressing the problem of safeguarding schools against it.
He wasn't addressing the problem of why kids shoot up schools, and how to prevent that core problem.
HE WASN'T ADDRESSING THE PROBLEM
Get it?
No. THAT'S VERY MUCH INCREDIBLY STUPID.
No. THAT'S VERY INCREDIBLY STUPID.
No. THAT'S VERY STUPID.

EDIT: Oh, and as for that stupid talking point about how it's okay if people are stabbed in schools with knives because they don't die the way school shooting victims do, maybe if the NYT didn't bury this story on page A12 last month, people wouldn't call them a left-wing rag with an agenda: Knife Attack at Chinese Middle School Leaves Nine Children Dead:
BEIJING — A man wielding a knife killed nine children and injured 10 others outside a middle school in central China on Friday, the authorities said, in one of the worst attacks at a Chinese school in recent years.
   1304. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:00 PM (#5676152)
Pushing back against the Trump talking point that the FBI/DOJ/MSM is to blame for identifying the "spy" [sic] against Trump's campaign: 'The Day that We Can't Protect Human Sources': The President and the House Intelligence Committee Burn an Informant. The story confirms my understanding that it was Trump supporters who leaked the information about the guy, including his name.

That's not accurate. The article cites the same somewhat speculative Daily Caller article previously noted here, in which "sources close to" the hapless Papadopoulos claim something was fishy about his meeting with Stefan Halper. That hardly necessitated DoJ/FBI folks leaking, and the NYT/WaPo printing, numerous details that made it obvious that Halper was the FBI spy/informant. "Trump & Nunes made us burn our own informant" is a ridiculous claim that shouldn't be taken seriously. Furthermore, there's no apparent reason that Halper's involvement needs extraordinary protection. He's a well know Washington figure, a mid-level official in 3 prior administrations. His CIA connections have been in the news long before his current notoriety, he probably puts them on his resume. Why shouldn't his actions be reviewed?
   1305. Stormy JE Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:03 PM (#5676153)
The story confirms my understanding that it was Trump supporters who leaked the information about the guy, including his name.
Oh, come on. You accuse McCarthy of being a hack??? FFS, Wittes is a total Comey hack. When have we ever read him say a bad word about the former director?
And this, "Oh my gosh, I am shocked to find out that the MSM is revealing all this info about him that would allow him to be identified" is disingenuous, since he had already been identified by right wing media thanks to leaks from Nunes's crew.
This isn't accurate, as it wasn't *until* the WaPo's 8 May story that conservative media was conclusively able to deduce the name of the informant. (I posted his name for the first time on the afternoon of the 15th.)

As for spilling top secret info, Chuck Ross points out:
Remember when nobody was outraged that someone from DOJ leaked to WaPo that there was a FISA out on Carter Page *while* the FISA was still up and prior to additional renewals?
Please feel free to share when Wittes wigged out over that top secret disclosure or any other that served Comey's interests. Of course not, because Wittes was too busy firing cannonballs.
   1306. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:08 PM (#5676156)
Annually, the number of knife homicides is approximately one-sixth the number of gun homicides. This despite the fact that, even in 2018 America, guns are harder to acquire than knives.

Apparently the folk wisdom behind the old phrase "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" is ACTUALLY VERY MUCH INCREDIBLY STUPID. This despite the fact that even then, very few Wild West showdowns involved AK-15's.
   1307. Stormy JE Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:08 PM (#5676157)
"Trump & Nunes made us burn our own informant" is a ridiculous claim that shouldn't be taken seriously.
This IG report draft must have really freaked out these people. Expect more hysteria in the days leading up to its release.
   1308. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:08 PM (#5676158)
Donald J. Trump today on Twitter:
If the FBI or DOJ was infiltrating a campaign for the benefit of another campaign, that is a really big deal. Only the release or review of documents that the House Intelligence Committee (also, Senate Judiciary) is asking for can give the conclusive answers. Drain the Swamp!

Things are really getting ridiculous. The Failing and Crooked (but not as Crooked as Hillary Clinton) @nytimes has done a long & boring story indicating that the World’s most expensive Witch Hunt has found nothing on Russia & me so now they are looking at the rest of the World!

....At what point does this soon to be $20,000,000 Witch Hunt, composed of 13 Angry and Heavily Conflicted Democrats and two people who have worked for Obama for 8 years, STOP! They have found no Collussion with Russia, No Obstruction, but they aren’t looking at the corruption...

...in the Hillary Clinton Campaign where she deleted 33,000 Emails, got $145,000,000 while Secretary of State, paid McCabes wife $700,000 (and got off the FBI hook along with Terry M) and so much more. Republicans and real Americans should start getting tough on this Scam.

Now that the Witch Hunt has given up on Russia and is looking at the rest of the World, they should easily be able to take it into the Mid-Term Elections where they can put some hurt on the Republican Party. Don’t worry about Dems FISA Abuse, missing Emails or Fraudulent Dossier!

What ever happened to the Server, at the center of so much Corruption, that the Democratic National Committee REFUSED to hand over to the hard charging (except in the case of Democrats) FBI? They broke into homes & offices early in the morning, but were afraid to take the Server?

....and why hasn’t the Podesta brother been charged and arrested, like others, after being forced to close down his very large and successful firm? Is it because he is a VERY well connected Democrat working in the Swamp of Washington, D.C.?

The Witch Hunt finds no Collusion with Russia - so now they’re looking at the rest of the World. Oh’ great!

I hereby demand, and will do so officially tomorrow, that the Department of Justice look into whether or not the FBI/DOJ infiltrated or surveilled the Trump Campaign for Political Purposes - and if any such demands or requests were made by people within the Obama Administration!
Mark Harris on Twitter:
It's his wife's first morning home after five days in the hospital.
   1309. Lassus Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:13 PM (#5676159)
THAT'S VERY STUPID

I'm convinced.

Whatabout knives, David? I expected better.
   1310. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:14 PM (#5676161)
@benjaminwittes:
I normally ignore presidential tweets. This one requires attention, because it could genuinely produce a crisis with the Justice Department and the FBI. Here’s an explanatory thread that may (or may not) be useful. /1/

The President in this tweet announces that he will tomorrow formally demand of the Justice Department a specific investigation—to wit, one about whether the DOJ and FBI spied on the Trump campaign and if the Obama administration demanded such action of them. /2/

There is no doubt that he has the constitutional authority to make this demand. /3/

There is also no doubt in my mind that neither the attorney general (who is recused anyway) nor the deputy attorney general nor the FBI director can in good conscience comply with such an order. And I don’t believe they will. /4/

This is a nakedly corrupt attempt on the part of the President to derail an investigation of himself at the expense of a human source to whose protection the FBI and DOJ are committed. See @qjurecic and my piece on this from yesterday. /5/

So if the President really gives Rod Rosenstein or Chris Wray an order (as opposed to Twitter bluster) demanding a particular investigation not properly predicated under FBI/DOJ guidelines for this overtly political purpose, I believe both men will resign rather than comply. /6/

In other words, this tweet is different from other Trump craziness tweets. It’s one that promises a specific action on a specific date (tomorrow) with respect to a specific agency that will, if it takes place, precipitate a showdown. /7/

Trump is a wuss, so he may well back down. He was going to fire Rosenstein, and he wussed out. He was going to fire Mueller and he wussed out. So I don’t want to overstate this. There’s lots of ways this could peter out. But this tweet is no joke. /8/

As Quinta and I wrote yesterday, “Don’t underestimate this episode. It will have a long tail and big consequences—all of them terrible.” Those consequences, if you believe the President, may start tomorrow. /9
   1311. Stormy JE Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:15 PM (#5676162)
Rosenstein responds to Trump's final tweet:
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein asked the Justice Department's inspector general Sunday to review whether there was improper politically motivated surveillance of the Trump campaign in 2016. ...

"If anyone did infiltrate or surveil participants in a presidential campaign for inappropriate purposes, we need to know about it and take appropriate action."
   1312. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5676163)
"If anyone did infiltrate or surveil participants in a presidential campaign for inappropriate purposes, we need to know about it and take appropriate action."

Emphasis added.
   1313. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:20 PM (#5676164)
BEIJING — A man wielding a knife killed nine children and injured 10 others outside a middle school in central China on Friday, the authorities said, in one of the worst attacks at a Chinese school in recent years.

1). China is 3X the size of the US

2) This Chinese attack, the worst in recent years, would be merely the third worst in the US this year.
   1314. Stormy JE Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:21 PM (#5676165)
Emphasis added.
LOL. Keep thinking that's gonna save your pals.
   1315. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:30 PM (#5676169)

Emphasis added.

Can we agree in advance that seeking political advantage would be an inappropriate purpose?
   1316. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:43 PM (#5676179)
Emphasis added.

LOL. Keep thinking that's gonna save your pals.

LOL indeed. Keep thinking that Horowitz is going to save your president.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we agree in advance that seeking political advantage would be an inappropriate purpose?

Can we agree in advance that a political campaign trying to collaborate with Russia is an appropriate thing to investigate?
   1317. Stormy JE Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:48 PM (#5676181)
Can we agree in advance that a political campaign trying to collaborate with Russia is an appropriate thing to investigate?
Not to worry, Andy: Horowitz will investigate Team Hillary's relationship with Fusion GPS later this year.
   1318. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:48 PM (#5676182)
I predict that when Juan and the rest of the Trumphogs are going to be dragged into reality regarding their fat, ignorant, spray-tanned, bald-heading narcissistic oaf of a hero, it’s going to look like Jerry Lundegaard getting dragged out of his motel.
   1319. Stormy JE Posted: May 20, 2018 at 09:58 PM (#5676186)
Rita Panahi on Asia Argento's speech at Cannes re: Harvey Weinstein:
That 1.05 minute speech by @AsiaArgento was more powerful than all the Hollywood virtue signalling & black dress protests. [VIDEO]
Powerful stuff.
   1320. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:00 PM (#5676187)

Not to worry, Andy: Horowitz will investigate Team Hillary's relationship with Fusion GPS later this year.

While Mueller might be looking at somewhat more important matters, enough to give your hero carpal tunnel syndrome from all that tweeting.
   1321. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:06 PM (#5676191)
Rita Panahi on Asia Argento's speech at Cannes re: Harvey Weinstein:

That 1.05 minute speech by @AsiaArgento was more powerful than all the Hollywood virtue signalling & black dress protests. [VIDEO]

Powerful stuff.

Indeed it was, and more power to her.

And once she got past Weinstein, most of the rest of that speech could easily have been directed to Donald Trump. Not that you'd ever admit that.
“Even tonight,” she said, “sitting among you in the White House, there are those who still have to be held accountable for their conduct against women, for behavior that does not belong in this industry, does not belong in any industry. You know who you are. But most importantly, we know who you are. And we’re not going to allow you to get away with it any longer.”
   1322. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:07 PM (#5676192)
Again, if all guns in the US. suddenly disappeared tomorrow there would be an immediate and significant increase in all non-gun violence. Knives, axes, swords, hammers, bats, cars, trucks as a whole. This is axiomatic.

1323. Count Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:20 PM (#5676193)
The IG report y'all keep talking about is about the Clinton investigation, not the Russia investigation. It will probably say the FBI committed various acts of misconduct that hurt Clinton that have been discussed here and elsewhere for ages, such as Comey's statement in July and the October letter. This will be taken as validation for firing Comey, somehow (the Rosenstein letter is going to be retconned again as not pretextual?).
   1324. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:21 PM (#5676194)
#1322:
Again, if all guns in the US. suddenly disappeared tomorrow there would be an immediate and significant increase in all non-gun violence. Knives, axes, swords, hammers, bats, cars, trucks as a whole. This is axiomatic.

And something of a drop in gun violence.

How significant a drop? Well, you tell me: would this axiomatic new dawn of killings by knives, axes, hammers, cars, trucks, end tables, crockery, icicles, beach umbrellas and every other sharp or blunt implement of doom increase to about 450% to 525% of their current use, to keep the murder rate steady?

Because that's how much FBI figures indicate would be needed to replace all the gun victims.
   1325. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:27 PM (#5676195)
The IG report y'all keep talking about is about the Clinton investigation, not the Russia investigation.

Nope. The IG investigation encompasses the DoJ/FBI interactions with both campaigns.
   1326. Stormy JE Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:27 PM (#5676196)
Good times:
The New York Times refuses to name the confidential informant who made contact w/ the Trump campaign. They had no qualms revealing the name of a covert CIA official running operations against Iran less than a year ago
In fairness, ABGL did appear to disclose all of Halper's info save his Social Security number.
   1327. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:28 PM (#5676197)

Yes there would. How many people would the Las Vegas shooter have killed and injured with a baseball bat? More than he did with an ersatz automatic rifle, or fewer? Presumably fewer, no? Would then, fellow death enthusiasts, disappointed with the results in Vegas, take up the cause in Disney World, the French Quarter, and Times Square with their own set of blunt instruments in order to make up the shortfall?
   1328. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:41 PM (#5676200)
Donald Trump could hit somebody with a table leg in the middle of Fifth Avenue, and...
   1329. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:42 PM (#5676201)
Speaking of the DoJ IG report, Mark Penn, Bill Clinton's long-time pollster, has some thoughts:
At this point, there is little doubt that the highest echelons of the FBI and the Justice Department broke their own rules to end the Hillary Clinton “matter,” but we can expect the inspector general to document what was done or, more pointedly, not done. It is hard to see how a year-long investigation of this won’t come down hard on former FBI Director James Comey and perhaps even former Attorney General Loretta Lynch, who definitely wasn’t playing mahjong in a secret “no aides allowed” meeting with former President Clinton on a Phoenix airport tarmac.

With this report on the way and congressional investigators beginning to zero in on the lack of hard, verified evidence for starting the Trump probe, current and former intelligence and Justice Department officials are dumping everything they can think of to save their reputations.

But it is backfiring. They started by telling the story of Alexander Downer, an Australian diplomat, as having remembered a bar conversation George Papadopoulos, a foreign policy adviser to the Trump presidential campaign. But how did the FBI know they should talk to him? That’s left out of their narrative. Downer’s signature appears on a $25 million contribution to the Clinton Foundation. You don’t need much imagination to figure that he was close with Clinton Foundation operatives who relayed information to the State Department, who then called the FBI to complete the loop. No, it wasn’t intelligence. It was likely opposition research from the start.

In no way would a fourth-hand report from a Maltese professor justify wholesale targeting of four or five members of the Trump campaign. It took Christopher Steele, with his funding concealed through false campaign filings, to be incredibly successful at creating a vast echo chamber around his unverified, fanciful dossier, bouncing it back and forth between the press and the FBI so it appeared that there were multiple sources all coming to the same conclusion.

Time and time again, investigators came up empty. Even several sting operations with an FBI spy we just learned about failed to produce a Delorean-like video with cash on the table. But rather than close the probe, the deep state just expanded it. All they had were a few isolated contacts with Russians and absolutely nothing related to Trump himself, yet they pressed forward. Egged on by Steele, they simply believed Trump and his team must be dirty. They just needed to dig deep enough.

We'll see how it comes out, but if the IG report wasn't going to be critical, why all the leaks trying to justify the Trump investigation & surveillance? Why not just wait for your supposedly "appropriate" actions to be vindicated?
   1330. Stormy JE Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:59 PM (#5676205)
Worth remembering that Team Clinton wasn't the only one bankrolling the never-verified dossier...

Obama’s Campaign Paid $972,000 To Law Firm That Secretly Paid Fusion GPS In 2016:
Former president Barack Obama’s official campaign organization has directed nearly a million dollars to the same law firm that funneled money to Fusion GPS, the firm behind the infamous Steele dossier. Since April of 2016, Obama For America (OFA) has paid over $972,000 to Perkins Coie, records filed with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) show.
Weird, huh?
   1331. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 20, 2018 at 11:07 PM (#5676208)
The Reuters Generic Congressional Ballot Poll seems to have some movement, with the GOP now +1.4%. The Democrats had an 11% lead as recently as April. More at link.
   1332. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 20, 2018 at 11:11 PM (#5676209)
As Alfred Lord Tennyson said, "Better not be at all than not be Nobel"... er, noble.

Washington Post:
President Trump spoke late Saturday to South Korean President Moon Jae-in amid increasing concerns in the White House that North Korea is not serious about striking a deal on denuclearization, which has complicated planning for the upcoming Singapore summit.

...National security adviser John Bolton has been telling colleagues that he doesn’t trust that the summit will go well, and he has reiterated his long-standing belief that he does not trust the North Koreans, a person familiar with his views said.

Aides emphasized that Trump remains committed to meeting with Kim and that planning is moving forward but that time is running out to nail down an agenda and finalize several outstanding issues. The senior U.S. official said Pyongyang appears to be trying to extract more concessions from the United States before the summit, or to be building a narrative to blame Trump if things go poorly in Singapore or to pull out of the summit entirely.

“People need to get real here after the euphoria of the peace summit” between Moon and Kim, said the U.S. official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations. The official said the North Koreans have already failed to abide by some of their commitments in the “Panmunjom agreement” that was signed at the inter-Korea summit. “They’re hedging, creating a sub-narrative,” the U.S. official said. “They’re not backing out yet. Neither is the president. It doesn’t look like they want to denuclearize at all.”

...Many foreign policy and nuclear security experts said it remains highly unlikely that North Korea would be willing to abandon its program and that Kim’s goal is to establish himself on the world stage as the powerful leader of a nuclear-armed state. “The North’s attitude is a pretty long distance away from what it appeared to be as Moon portrayed,” the U.S. official said. “It’s looking pretty different from that. It’s looking more like the old playbook.”

Trump’s decision has been fraught with risk, given that former U.S. diplomats who have negotiated with North Korea under previous administrations have warned that the Kim family regime has a long history of violating international agreements to curb the nation’s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs.

Trump administration officials said they believe Kim, after the remarkable images of him holding hands with Moon at the inter-Korea summit in late April, has shifted back to a harder-line position. ...“Since the China visit, they’ve moved pretty dramatically, shifted in the last several weeks to North Korea’s old position,” the U.S. official said. Inside the West Wing, aides said Trump was upset by Kim’s first visit to China in March, ahead of which Beijing did not notify the White House. The president reacted angrily in a national security meeting, according to an administration official, and Xi later wrote a letter assuaging Trump.
   1333. DavidFoss Posted: May 20, 2018 at 11:38 PM (#5676216)

What political advantage? So the actions of the FBI in 2016 were helpful to Hillary and intended to hurt Trump?

I understand why one would repeatedly lie about such things in the media. There are voters to sway. But what purpose does it have on this board? Who is your audience when you say such things? Yourself? If you repeat it enough, maybe you can get *yourself* to believe it?
   1334. Count Posted: May 20, 2018 at 11:48 PM (#5676222)
YC, the stories I've seen say the upcoming IG report is about the Clinton investigation, not the Russian investigation. See CNN here, for example. Do you have anything saying otherwise?
   1335. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 20, 2018 at 11:50 PM (#5676223)
Simple fact, David: JE and Clapper think Trump is innocent of everything and Hillary is guilty of everything. Proof just around the corner, but in the meantime you have their word for it.
   1336. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 20, 2018 at 11:56 PM (#5676224)
YC, the stories I've seen say the upcoming IG report is about the Clinton investigation, not the Russian investigation. See CNN here, for example. Do you have anything saying otherwise?

From that link:
And then there's perhaps the most nebulous subject on Horowitz's list that has received far less of a public resolution to date, "allegations that the Department and FBI employees improperly disclosed non-public information."

One source familiar with the scope of the report said that accusations that FBI agents in New York leaked information about the Clinton investigation to former Mayor Rudy Giuliani have been examined. Giuliani, then an adviser to the Trump campaign, drew attention in late October 2016 when he went on Fox News -- two days before Comey revealed he was reopening the Clinton email investigation -- to say Trump had "a surprise or two that you're going to hear about in the next two days."

Giuliani later backtracked when pressed by CNN's Wolf Blitzer to explain further, saying, "If I did say that, that was wrong. ... I have not spoken to an on-duty FBI agent about anything I guess for the last 10 months. I've actually never talked about this investigation to any current member of the Justice Department or FBI agent."

At that point Giuliani had to visit a carpenter to shave about six inches off his nose.
   1337. Count Posted: May 20, 2018 at 11:58 PM (#5676225)
re: 1330 - that doesn't suggest Obama For America was paying Perkins Coie to work with Fusion GPS. Perkins Coie is a big law firm that has lots of political clients. It's not unusual or surprising that other organizations linked with Democratic Party politicians would use them. That Federalist article you linked is from October 2017 so I'm guessing there was no followup since then suggesting any actual evidence that OFA had any links to the dossier. But this evidence-free story has lodged in there and probably won't come out now!

(I'm glossing over the faulty premise that the Clinton campaign shouldn't have funded opposition research or that there was something malicious about hiring Christopher Steele in the first place).
   1338. Stormy JE Posted: May 20, 2018 at 11:59 PM (#5676226)
The next report focuses on the Bureau's Hillary server investigation. What's got DC in panic mode is the likelihood that senior officials of both DoJ and FBI, most of whom were also players in the Trump-Russia probe, will be torn a new #######.
   1339. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:00 AM (#5676227)

What political advantage? So the actions of the FBI in 2016 were helpful to Hillary and intended to hurt Trump? I understand why one would repeatedly lie about such things in the media. There are voters to sway. But what purpose does it have on this board? Who is your audience when you say such things? Yourself? If you repeat it enough, maybe you can get *yourself* to believe it?

So you're saying getting the opposition party presidential campaign investigated based on your own party's phony opposition research wouldn't be an inappropriate use of the intelligence & law enforcement agencies for political advantage? Will that also be the standard for 2020?
   1340. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:08 AM (#5676228)
re: 1330 - that doesn't suggest Obama For America was paying Perkins Coie to work with Fusion GPS.
Right, my comment should have included "may not have been." Nonetheless, a campaign no longer doing any campaigning plopping down a million dollars for "legal services" in such a short period of time should be given greater scrutiny.

(I'm glossing over the faulty premise that the Clinton campaign shouldn't have funded opposition research or that there was something malicious about hiring Christopher Steele in the first place).
Really? Just innocent oppo research? Never mind that using the money to hire a foreign ex-spook to collaborate with Russian officials on a report ought to set off alarm bells, why no disclosure of the $5-6M expenditure, even after the election? You're fine with campaign finance law evasion too?
   1341. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:11 AM (#5676229)
Trump in 2016: "The FBI is investigating her because she is corrupt."

Trump in 2018: "The FBI was investigating me because they are corrupt."
   1342. Chicago Joe Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:16 AM (#5676230)
so, what needs to be done in regard to school shootings?
   1343. canadian shield Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:18 AM (#5676231)
Trump in 2016: "The FBI is investigating her because she is corrupt."

Trump in 2018: "The FBI was investigating me because they are corrupt."

Golf clap
   1344. Jay Z Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:23 AM (#5676232)
EDIT: Oh, and as for that stupid talking point about how it's okay if people are stabbed in schools with knives because they don't die the way school shooting victims do, maybe if the NYT didn't bury this story on page A12 last month, people wouldn't call them a left-wing rag with an agenda: Knife Attack at Chinese Middle School Leaves Nine Children Dead:

So if knives kill as well as guns, you won't have any problem with a gun ban, since it won't make any difference... right?

You and the NRA basically believe that Guns Are Magical, though. Guns are like on Mannix, where the bad guys always miss. The bad guys will always kill exactly the same number of people no matter their weapons, whereas a gun is ultra-important to Mannix, the good guy. (I know Ray is the old TV guy, but you're in league with him on this issue, so who cares.)

If I was a good guy and had to kill a bunch of people, I'd pick guns over knives. If I was a bad guy and wanted to kill a bunch of people, I'd pick guns over knives. See? Guns are morally neutral and not magic.
   1345. Chicago Joe Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:30 AM (#5676234)
It makes me a little crazy. Though I am comforted by the apparent reality that this #### doesn't happen in actual cities.
   1346. greenback made it work, honey Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:31 AM (#5676235)
so, what needs to be done in regard to school shootings?

Duh, the DoJ needs to investigate Hillary's emails. The gun control nuts are all terrified of this possibility.

If Sandy Hook couldn't motivate a response from the current electorate, then nothing will. Wait twenty years for all of the baby boomers to croak, and maybe we can get somewhere (also: maybe not).
   1347. Chicago Joe Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:33 AM (#5676236)
@1344 the NRA doesn't care if guns are good, they just want to sell more guns.
   1348. Count Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:46 AM (#5676238)
The next report focuses on the Bureau's Hillary server investigation. What's got DC in panic mode is the likelihood that senior officials of both DoJ and FBI, most of whom were also players in the Trump-Russia probe, will be torn a new #######.

Some officials will probably be criticized for the anti-Clinton misconduct. This will be taken as evidence that the same officials are biased against Trump. It doesn't have to make sense!
   1349. tshipman Posted: May 21, 2018 at 12:47 AM (#5676239)
What political advantage? So the actions of the FBI in 2016 were helpful to Hillary and intended to hurt Trump?

I understand why one would repeatedly lie about such things in the media. There are voters to sway. But what purpose does it have on this board? Who is your audience when you say such things? Yourself? If you repeat it enough, maybe you can get *yourself* to believe it?

This is the part that gets me. Like, they know that this is a line for the rubes, right? They're not supposed to actually believe it. No intelligent Republicans could possibly believe that the FBI screwed them in the 2016 election. The whole thing about the FBI being corrupt or whatever is just obvious water-muddying.

So it always makes me wonder: are Jason and Clapper dumb enough to fall for the water muddying, or are they so boring as to try to repeat the party line endlessly on a website that time forgot?
   1350. Count Posted: May 21, 2018 at 01:00 AM (#5676242)
re: 1330 - that doesn't suggest Obama For America was paying Perkins Coie to work with Fusion GPS.
Right, my comment should have included "may not have been." Nonetheless, a campaign no longer doing any campaigning plopping down a million dollars for "legal services" in such a short period of time should be given greater scrutiny.

(a) OFA still exists and (b) we have no indication for what the legal work was or when it was (i.e. could have been paying bills for work done in prior elections). You likely have no idea whether there's anything unusual about the payments. There's no evidence of anything wrong in the story so you're moving to "just asking questions" territory.

Really? Just innocent oppo research? Never mind that using the money to hire a foreign ex-spook to collaborate with Russian officials on a report ought to set off alarm bells, why no disclosure of the $5-6M expenditure, even after the election? You're fine with campaign finance law evasion too?

I don't know anything about whether they violated campaign finance law and I suspect if that was a real issue the conservative media would be screaming about it. "Collaborate with Russian officials" here is the pathetic "no collusion, you're the collusion!" - you are presumably referring to Steele talking to his contacts / sources.

Do you think Steele was making up the reports? IIRC you thought he was being set up, in which case it would have been a good faith effort to find the truth. And even if he was just making it up [which there is no reason to think], if Perkins Coie didn't know that then it wouldn't reflect poorly on Perkins Coie. So what's wrong with paying someone to investigate?

[For people following along, the reports in the dossier don't include a lot of the now-publicly known facts that suggest collusion, most notably the Trump Tower meeting, and it's likely that a lot of the dossier is not accurate even though it appears to have been compiled in good faith; this whole thing is kind of silly and irrelevant to the ongoing investigation at this point.]
   1351. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 02:18 AM (#5676245)
Guess he couldn't get his hands on a gun.

BESSEMER CITY, N.C. — A man intentionally rammed a vehicle into a North Carolina restaurant busy serving Sunday lunch, killing his daughter and another person and injuring several others, authorities said.
   1352. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 02:27 AM (#5676246)
Yes there would. How many people would the Las Vegas shooter have killed and injured with a baseball bat? More than he did with an ersatz automatic rifle, or fewer? Presumably fewer, no? Would then, fellow death enthusiasts, disappointed with the results in Vegas, take up the cause in Disney World, the French Quarter, and Times Square with their own set of blunt instruments in order to make up the shortfall?

Well if we're talking about maximizing a body count then you're right: no need to pretend a baseball bat would be used by the sicko: Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols took out 150 people and injured hundreds of others with a homemade bomb mounted in a Ryder truck.

Be ####### careful what you wish for, Virtue Signalers Who Can't Do Logic.
   1353. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 02:34 AM (#5676247)
@1344 the NRA doesn't care if guns are good, they just want to sell more guns.

@1344 Planned Parenthood doesn't care if abortions are good, they just want to perform more abortions.
   1354. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 02:36 AM (#5676248)
What a surprise... the people who started out deranged over Trump are still deranged over Trump don't see anything wrong with anything Hillary, the FBI, the DOJ, or Mueller did and are doing in an effort to get Trump.
   1355. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 06:20 AM (#5676253)
This is the part that gets me. Like, they know that this is a line for the rubes, right?

The Trump cabinet had more pro-wrestling promoters than scientists. You think that happened because they weren’t interested in conning the rubes?
   1356. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 06:24 AM (#5676256)
Well if we're talking about maximizing a body count then you're right: no need to pretend a baseball bat would be used by the sicko: Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols took out 150 people and injured hundreds of others with a homemade bomb mounted in a Ryder truck

And as a result, what happens now if you want to buy a truckload of ammonium nitrate?

Be ####### careful what you wish for, Virtue Signalers Who Can't Do Logic

Our Little Lord, who blithely insisted that climate change was a hoax, is very concerned about using only the loftiest logic. Laughable.
   1357. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 21, 2018 at 06:29 AM (#5676257)
What a surprise... the people who started out deranged over Trump are still deranged over Trump don't see anything wrong with anything Hillary, the FBI, the DOJ, or Mueller did and are doing in an effort to get Trump.

Right, like the way Comey announced that the FBI was re-opening her email investigation 11 days before the election. Hillary's outrage and Trump's glee over that development were nothing but a ruse.
   1358. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 06:32 AM (#5676258)

What a surprise, the sneering popinjays who insisted that OF COURE Hillary was guilty of SOMETHING and also probably dying from secret illness are still deranged. Ahab had a healthier relationship with white whales.
   1359. Lassus Posted: May 21, 2018 at 06:45 AM (#5676260)
Er, what is Mueller doing wrong, exactly?
   1360. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 06:48 AM (#5676261)
So what is really to blame for all these shootings deaths? We know it isn’t the guns. Among the reasons offered by the Very Serious people we have video games, violent movies, the lack of Jesus, and an inadequate number of guns in the hands of everyone else.

And today a new contender emerges.

“The problem we’ve got is we’re trying like the dickens to treat the symptom without treating the disease,” North said on Fox News Sunday. “And the disease, in this case, isn’t the Second Amendment. The disease is youngsters who are steeped in a culture of violence, they’ve been drugged in many cases. Nearly all of these perpetrators are male and they’re young teenagers in most cases.

“Many of these young boys have been on Ritalin since they were in kindergarten,” North claimed, without evidence. “Now I’m certainly not a doctor, I’m a Marine, but I can see those kinds of things happening and endangering those two gals.”

So a man appointed by a president who believe vaccines cause autism says that Ritalin (a drug he certainly knows nearly nothing about save the name) is the real culprit. The Hate-Science Right continues it’s bold stance against reality, consistent with the requirements of its Creationist base.
   1361. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 06:52 AM (#5676262)
Er, what is Mueller doing wrong, exactly

Existing. Look at all this effort being expended investigating a Very Stable Genius and one of the healthiest physical specimens in American history while the cackling murderous Hillary walks among us, free to continue her killings and child rapes and uranium smuggling.
   1362. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 07:02 AM (#5676263)
I don't know anything about whether they violated campaign finance law and I suspect if that was a real issue the conservative media would be screaming about it.
Conservative media (the MSM is unavailable for comment) is more focused on how the dossier got filled with reports and then disseminated. But the question again gets raised: Why not disclose the payments? After all, everyone does oppo research, right?

Right?
it's likely that a lot of the dossier is not accurate even though it appears to have been compiled in good faith;
"Appears" is doing lots of heavy lifting there.
   1363. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 07:04 AM (#5676264)
Right, like the way Comey announced that the FBI was re-opening her email investigation 11 days before the election.
The info should have been provided to Congress weeks earlier but your pal McCabe tried to suppress it until after the election.
   1364. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 07:36 AM (#5676268)
I don’t know why my brain conflated Ollie North and John Bolton, but, well, here we are.
   1365. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 07:37 AM (#5676269)
Regarding #1363, Andy:

WSJ: Agents' texts reveal McCabe knew of Clinton emails for at least a month

But thanks for sharing more fake news talking points with us.
   1366. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 21, 2018 at 07:55 AM (#5676270)
Among the reasons offered by the Very Serious people we have video games, violent movies, the lack of Jesus, and an inadequate number of guns in the hands of everyone else.

Also, divorce, abortion, and too many doors.
   1367. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 21, 2018 at 08:34 AM (#5676278)
I submitted a new week's thread.
   1368. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 08:34 AM (#5676279)
And your thread is up, Mouse.

Thanks, as always, for your submission.
   1369. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:06 AM (#5676334)

Conservative media (the MSM is unavailable for comment)

FOX isn't the MSM? If they have the highest ratings (rantings?) in the land, as everyone from Kellyanne to Rush to AJ claims, doesn't that automatically make them "mainstream?"
   1370. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:16 AM (#5676342)
Page 14 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 12 13 14

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.