Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 14, 2018

OTP 2018 May 14: Political leadership, fans needed to bring baseball to Portland: Guest opinion

Today I’m not writing to promote the virtues of Major League Baseball or Portland as a baseball city. I’m writing from the perspective of one who worked on the last successful effort to bring a professional sports team to town—the Portland Timbers—and as someone who has worked in state and local politics for nearly 30 years. Few situations are fraught with as much politics as bringing a professional sports team to a community. If you look closely at cities that have experienced these debates, you’ll often find a combustible mix of political, financial and cultural issues that run deep and can linger for years.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 14, 2018 at 07:28 AM | 1370 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: boondoggle, new stadium, off topic, politics, portland

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   701. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 17, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5674438)
Jason is a neat little case study on the risks of compromising with evil.

What we say influences what we think, often more than the reverse. I think Stretchy is truly the model for this though.
   702. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5674440)
I know I should be chastising Rickey! for his various rants, but I gotta admit his bit amuses me. Very consistently over-the-top, but with just enough nuggets of truth buried within to keep it just grounded enough.

Yes, he's far more "Trumpian" than the original, although Sam lacks sufficient self-awareness to recognize that.
   703. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 17, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5674442)
Another one of Trump's "very fine people" doing his thing....

‘My next call is to ICE!’: A man flipped out because workers spoke Spanish at a Manhattan deli
In the video, a tall dark-haired man wearing a white button-down shirt and gray slacks looks indignant as he confronts a bespectacled employee at the fast-casual restaurant and deli.

“Your staff is speaking Spanish to customers when they should be speaking English,” the man says, his brow furrowing.

As the restaurant worker tries to explain, the angry man interrupts him.

“Every person I listen to: He spoke it, he spoke it, she's speaking it,” the man declares, turning around and pointing at various people in the restaurant. “This is America!”...

On his way out of the restaurant, the man spins and faces the restaurant employee again and accuses him of hiring undocumented workers. The employee stares ahead, stone-faced, occasionally nodding, as the angry man threatens to call U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

“I will be following up,” the man shouts. “My guess is they’re not documented, so my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country. If they have the balls to come here and live off my money — I pay for their welfare. I pay for their ability to be here. The least they can do — the least they can do — is speak English.”....

One thing's for sure: If this bozo ever needs a job,** I'm sure ICE will be glad to hire him. He'd fit right in.

** And yes, I hope he gets outed and is told to pack up his papers by his embarrassed boss. Who in the hell would ever want to be associated with a person like this?
   704. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5674443)

Sure. But the core failure that led to his being susceptible to that slippery slope was his fundamental belief that he and his tribe on the right were the "real victims."

See also Ray.
   705. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 17, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5674446)
Yes, he's far more "Trumpian" than the original, although Sam lacks sufficient self-awareness to recognize that.

That seems a strange thing for you to say, since you've never once complained about the original Trumpian behavior. You and JE seem to think that James Comey is more of a threat to the Republic than a president who lies over half a dozen times a day and is a racist right down to his bones.
   706. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 17, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5674447)

Not what I said. At all. I mentioned the nuggets of truth, right? Yeah, Trump (the original) not so much with that. Even if it were so, it is more amusing in internet guy who has a handle on reality than POTUS, who has an uneasy truce with reality.
   707. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5674448)
while I disagree with Jason on ... um ... nearly everything I don't think he is the kind of person Rickey! is portraying him as. He certainly doesn't seem racist to me.

Not sure I ever said Jason was racist, personally. Jason is a goddamned toady to anything the GOP throws at him, in service of his deeply desired bombing runs over Tehran. His path from 2015 through today is, as tship notes, a classic case of slip-sliding away into the netherworld of insanity, all because the lifeline to rational thought would require you to reach out to a Democrat. He's been a victim-complex case for years now. And when Trumpland gave him an "out" to the "lamestream media" via the "fakenews" bullshit track, he dove in headlong. He's had his mouth sucker-fished to the train of human centipedes attached to Trump's ass ever since.
   708. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 17, 2018 at 03:58 PM (#5674449)
Sure. But the core failure that led to his being susceptible to that slippery slope was his fundamental belief that he and his tribe on the right were the "real victims."

See also Ray.

And this is what I mean by nuggets of truth. I still like Jason though - what can I say, I try to judge the person and not if they agree with me (though of course they should).
   709. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 17, 2018 at 03:59 PM (#5674450)
Not sure I ever said Jason was racist, personally.

I might be wrong. If so, my bad*. I think your characterization of him is ... overblown though.

* It might have been someone else. I have actual work to do though and so can't be bothered to check.
   710. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5674451)

‘My next call is to ICE!’: A man flipped out because workers spoke Spanish at a Manhattan deli
Only posted here by someone a day ago, Andy. Maybe if you didn't blindly get all your information from the Post and Times, you wouldn't have this problem,
   711. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5674452)
For the record, while I disagree with Jason on ... um ... nearly everything I don't think he is the kind of person Rickey! is portraying him as. He certainly doesn't seem racist to me.

Eventually, it reaches a point, where it doesn't really matter what you are yourself, within your own heart. If you constantly and vehemently stand with racists, and stand for racism, make every excuse, every rationalisation, every defense possible for it - then you made your choice.
   712. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5674454)
#703:
In the video, a tall dark-haired man wearing a white button-down shirt and gray slacks looks indignant as he confronts a bespectacled employee:
“Your staff is speaking Spanish to customers when they should be speaking English,” the man says, his brow furrowing. ...“This is America!”... “I will be following up,” the man shouts. “My guess is they’re not documented, so my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country. If they have the balls to come here and live off my money — I pay for their welfare. I pay for their ability to be here. The least they can do — the least they can do — is speak English.”....
** And yes, I hope he gets outed and is told to pack up his papers by his embarrassed boss. Who in the hell would ever want to be associated with a person like this?

That would be satisfying, sure, but it might take a very long time to identify whoever the unknown person is in that... oh, wait, they're done already.

Complete with hilarious video, just as described:
Racist lawyer runs scared from cameras outside home

And a look back at Aaron Schlossberg's classy resume:
New York Lawyer in Deli Rant Video Has History of Racist Tirades
   713. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5674455)
Yes, he's far more "Trumpian" than the original

Die in fire.
   714. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5674458)
Only posted here by someone a day ago, Andy.

Have you guys figured out which one of Ray's building neighbors it was?
   715. The Good Face Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5674462)
Or not even that. The real rhetorical content is "real Americans need to feel constantly under siege and need to be scared enough to vote for ###holes like me."

By telling them Mitt Romney is going to enslave them? Or that they're in imminent danger of the KKK burning down all their churches?

As usual, you guys are just salty that the GOP finally said fuck it and started playing the same game as the Dems. Seriously now, what did you think would happen?
   716. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5674463)
Let's step back from this gang sign nastiness, and simmer down in the genteel honeysuckle of Alabama.

Kay Ivey has been Governor of Alabama since 2017, when Robert Bentley quit in the middle of a scandal about secretly paying his mistress with campaign funds. Now Ivey's running for a full term.

One of Ivey's opponents in the June 5 GOP primary, Scott Dawson, blasted her for continuing to fund Free2Be, an LGBT rights group. Ivey responded by blaming federal mandates for the funding, adding "I certainly don't agree with the agenda or the values of that organization."

That public hand-washing angered openly gay Alabama Representative Patricia Todd. She tweeted about Ivey, "Will someone out her for God's sake....I have heard for years that she is gay and moved her girlfriend out of her house when she became Gov. I am sick of closeted elected officials."

Ivey blasted back that Todd's tweet was an attack on her "good name and character," while saying, "This most recent personal attack against me is beyond disgraceful. It's a disgusting lie being pushed by a paid left wing liberal political operative. There is absolutely no truth to it. It's false. It's wrong. It's a bald faced lie. And I'm not gonna let them get away with it. Whether these attacks are malicious or ignorant or both -- they represent everything that's wrong with politics today."

An Ivey campaign spokeswoman also went after Dawson, accusing him of "using a dog whistle ...[which] served it's purpose of getting the gossip that Ivey was gay into public attention." But another Alabama civil rights activist said anonymously of the lesbian rumors, "It's never been a secret in Montgomery. The second worst kept secret to Bentley's girlfriend."

Meanwhile, another Ivey primary opponent, Tommy Battle, recently criticized Ivey, saying "While we were talking to regular people about the future of Alabama, Kay Ivey was going around to cocktail parties in Montgomery. There seems to be lots of receptions in Montgomery." Because apparently there are also persistent rumors throughout Alabama politics that Ivey is a closet drunk.

What a group, what a mess. Too bad Alabama's values voters were deprived of the children's crusader Roy Moore.
   717. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:15 PM (#5674465)
In 2017, he was part of a group of protesters at an anti-Linda Sarsour rally against pro-Palestine Jews.

Apparently berated participants for being "not a real Jew." One assumes he's in Juan's contacts list.
   718. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:16 PM (#5674466)
As usual, you guys are just salty

May your fire be a slow roast.
   719. Lassus Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5674470)
Maybe if you didn't blindly get all your information from the Post and Times Turner Classic Movies
   720. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5674471)
Have you guys figured out which one of Ray's building neighbors it was?

Unsurprisingly, it was another lawyer.
   721. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:24 PM (#5674480)
There are any number of WaPo stories that don't minimize the MS-13 problem. Zonk will probably like this one since it notes, among other things, that unlike their less "progressive" Central American counterparts, some MS-13 gangs in the U.S now allow female members. Other than that, not much positive.

I'm not "minimizing" the problem.

I'm properly identifying it, putting it in context via the numbers, and -- unlike you, Trump, and Jason -- flogging the lurid like a 12 yo boy who discovers other things hand lotion can be used for for the first time.

I have not - nor as anyone else - said a single, isolated thing that "minimizes" the crimes and violence of MS-13.

The only person in this entire last page and half who has done that is (surprise) Jason, in regards to (surprise again) the Aryan Brotherhood.

What I have done is provided data and evidence that clearly shows that among organized crime syndicates - all of whom essentially do the same things, all of whom commit the same vile crimes, and all of whom ARE a problem - MS-13 ranks decidedly below any number of IDENTICAL, though ethnically distinct, criminal syndicates.

I have no doubt that there do exist communities where MS-13 is the big kahuna for such stuff... just as there likewise exist communities where it's not MS-13, but the Crips... or Bratva... or Cosa Nostra... or the Kielbasa Posse... or WTF ever. Especially at the federal level - and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the level your boy heads, no? - it would seem that efforts ought to recognize more than lurid headlines, doesn't it?

Lurid headlines are easy to find. Elliot Rodger murdering half a dozen people and injuring more than a dozen more because girls wouldn't #### him was pretty lurid. Micah Johnson murdering five police officers was pretty lurid. Dylan Roof murdering nine people in a church basement was pretty lurid. Those Minutemen who raided the Flores home and murdered two people, including a nine-year girl, was pretty lurid.

The difference between you and me is how those lurid headlines get used.

If you actually cared about a solution, rather than re-purposing your lurid headlines towards other ends - you'd actually recognize that broad-based ICE deportations, which often split up families (insert John Kelly's "foster care or whatever" here) doesn't help the problem... it exacerbates it - because a child left in the country, now without one or both parents, just happens to be the sweet spot for MS-13 recruitment. And when you examine that messy data thing again - and look at the numbers of MS-13 gang members compared to the number and manner of deportations, this all ought to be quite obvious.

There's a difference between connecting, say, a "lurid headline" about an incel murdering women over his frustrations to something like say... gamergate - pointing out how this sort of noxious stuff breeds and amplifies and using a "lurid headline" to push an agenda that actually doesn't alleviate the problem, but actually makes it worse.

I'd say you're smart enough to actually know the difference, but the truth is - I'm not so sure you are... and if you actually, are, that you actually care. Because deep down, what you claim to recognize as a problem, you more accurately see as just a means to a different end.

722. Spahn Insane Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5674486)

Hilariously, the guy's law firm's website touts his Spanish fluency (with lesser levels of proficiency in such un-Murkin languages as French, Mandarin and Hebrew). Hell of a sales pitch to potential Spanish-speaking clients.

Or perhaps it's only Spanish speakers working in food service he objects to; I'm sure the head of a Spanish multinational would be most welcome.
   723. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5674487)
What I have done is provided data and evidence that clearly shows that among organized crime syndicates - all of whom essentially do the same things, all of whom commit the same vile crimes, and all of whom ARE a problem - MS-13 ranks decidedly below any number of IDENTICAL, though ethnically distinct, criminal syndicates.

No margin for votes in talking up the Russian mob's sex slavery programs. Can't deport the Russians. They're the White House's bank.
   724. Spahn Insane Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5674492)
The recent "reviews" on Schlossberg's Yelp page are just fantastic.
   725. Srul Itza Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5674493)
The importance of immigration to this country -- particularly immigration of young adults -- is heightened, yet again by the news that US fertility rates are again declining.

Without immigration, this country faces a population crash, as we are seeing in Japan.
   726. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5674494)
As usual, you guys are just salty that the GOP finally said #### it and started playing the same game as the Dems. Seriously now, what did you think would happen?

You stupid cucks would end up following a raging buffoon intensely interested in the saving jobs at a Chinese cellphone manufacturer.

Duh.

It didn't take a genius to guess.
   727. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5674498)
Hilariously, the guy's law firm's website touts his Spanish fluency

Yes, the photographers and videographers swarming around him were quizzing him about that very point. But he wasn't as glib as he was with the Spanish waitstaff. It's all there in the #1 schadenfreude video of the spring (*).

(* #1 of the spring because the Sean Hannity "New York Times is lying about Trump trying to fire Mueller, oh wait, we've just confirmed it, but does he not have the right to raise those questions, so hey, look at this car chase" video happened back in January.)

Anyhoo, watching Schlossberg jerkily crabwalk around in the street on a sunny, 70-degree day with a black ski cap and an open umbrella pressed tightly against his face, while mewling, "Please send help... They're claiming things that aren't true, grabbing me. ...They won't let me move" is tabloid news heaven.
   728. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5674499)
@jasondashbailey:
Some personal news: I found the dumbest ############ on this entire website.
   729. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5674501)
The importance of immigration to this country -- particularly immigration of young adults -- is heightened, yet again by the news that US fertility rates are again declining.

Srul. Sruuuuuul. Buddy. This is the GOP. We all know fully well that once they kick all of the over-breeding Mexican animals out because they're all members of a gang of ethnic El Salvadoreans, Ruth Bader Ginsberg will die and the SCOTUS will finally allow real American patriots to put uppity liberal ####### back into the breeding programs.
   730. The Good Face Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:53 PM (#5674506)
Yes, the photographers and videographers swarming around him were asking him about that very point. But he wasn't as glib as he was with the Spanish waitstaff. It's all there in the #1 schadenfreude video of the spring (*).

(* But only because the Sean Hannity "New York Times is lying about Trump trying to fire Mueller, oh wait, we've just confirmed it, but does he not have the right to raise those questions, so hey, look at this car chase" video happened in January.)

Anyhoo, watching Schlossberg jerkily crabwalk around in the street on a sunny, 70-degree day with a black ski cap and an open umbrella pressed tightly against his face, while mewling, "Please send help... They're claiming things that aren't true, grabbing me. ...They won't let me move" is tabloid news heaven.

It's fun to burn witches! And it's an activity with no drawbacks or possibility of coming around to bite its participants in the ass!
   731. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5674508)
Ha ha, the Yelp trolls must feel like fools now about leaving nasty "reviews" on Aaron Schlossberg's place of business.

Racist lawyer kicked out of his office space
   732. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5674510)
In fairness to Schlossberg, it seems like almost every hour - another clip of him being an ####### to random strangers pops up.

That 2016 incident, which took place on Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue, involved a man named Willie Morris, who claims Schlossberg attempted to shove him on the street before the lawyer exploded at him.

“What country you from? I’m gonna call the police,” Schlossberg says to Morris back in October 2016, according to cellphone footage of the incident, which was posted to YouTube.

“You don’t run into people. I’m a citizen here. You’re not. You’re an ugly f—king foreigner, so f—k you!” Schlossberg shouts at Morris — who filmed the video — before raising up his cellphone to “get a quick picture” of Morris.

“You’re not allowed to walk on the wrong side of the street,” Schlossberg then says.

A stunned Morris then films himself and says: “This guy just literally just ran into me and is going crazy.”

733. manchestermets Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5674511)
For the record, while I disagree with Jason on ... um ... nearly everything I don't think he is the kind of person Rickey! is portraying him as. He certainly doesn't seem racist to me.

Why would you cheer on racism if you weren't a racist?
   734. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5674512)
It's fun to burn witches!

This, gentlemen, is a man deeply, deeply concerned that his identity might leak.
   735. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5674513)
Why would you cheer on racism if you weren't a racist?

Because you're so sold down the River Stupid that you think racism doesn't exist aside from dirty ####### Pali scum trying to kill Israelis, and anyone who accuses a Republican of racism is a lying liberal cuck suckered by the lamestream media. Natch.
   736. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5674514)
“You’re not allowed to walk on the wrong side of the street,”

This is America, bruh. Freedom and my AR says I can walk anywhere I want, #####.
   737. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:02 PM (#5674516)
It's fun to burn witches! And it's an activity with no drawbacks or possibility of coming around to bite its participants in the ass!

Dude has a history of apparently feeling the need to start berating and cursing random strangers in public.

Actually, it's probably best for everyone that he be driven into hiding... including his own safety.

I do not have any experience screaming at random people I don't know in public, but I imagine that many instances exist where they do something other than filming you on a cell phone.

In the long run, I suspect his newfound brush with fame likely saved him from some future beating (at best).
   738. Spahn Insane Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5674518)

Hilarious. You poor, poor snowflake...
   739. The Good Face Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5674519)

This, gentlemen, is a man deeply, deeply concerned that his identity might leak.

This from the guy who went running to Jim when confronted with the possibility his identity might leak.

740. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5674520)
In feminist milestone news, the 1st Female CIA Director Was Confirmed By The Senate Today, with the support of six Democrats: Mark Warner, Vice Chairman of the Intelligence Committee, Jeanne Shaheen (N.H.), Joe Donnelly (Ind.), Joe Manchin (W.Va.), Bill Nelson (Fla.) & Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.).
   741. Spahn Insane Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5674523)

That is indeed some swell entertainment.
   742. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5674524)
In feminist milestone news, the 1st Female CIA Director Was Confirmed By The Senate Today, with the support of six Democrats: Mark Warner, Vice Chairman of the Intelligence Committee, Jeanne Shaheen (N.H.), Joe Donnelly (Ind.), Joe Manchin (W.Va.), Bill Nelson (Fla.) & Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.).

I guess her admission that torture caused damage to the CIA and the US, in contravention of her boss, was enough to convince some people.

Were it me, I'd have agreed with John McCain that running torture programs makes you permanently ineligible... but apparently half a dozen Democrats, being the liberal forgivers of past transgressions that they are, felt otherwise.
   743. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5674525)
Whenever I worry about whether my identity will leak, I just wear a black wool hat low on my forehead, cower behind a black umbrella, and wander aimlessly next to parked cars. Nothing better than going incognito.
   744. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5674527)
As many times as the dude feels the need to call the authorities, you'd think he'd have learned to use his phone's speed dial and phonebook options by now.
   745. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5674528)
This from the guy who went running to Jim when confronted with the possibility his identity might leak.

I see your ##### still hurts, cuck. I worry about your woman's stress levels what with the lack of an orgasm for so long.
   746. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:14 PM (#5674529)
with the support of six Democrats

Promotion of war criminals is super bi-partisan, you ####### whore.
   747. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5674530)
Try and keep up with this Schlossberg fella guys:

“He didn’t call Mexicans rapists. He said the people coming over here are rapists. But it’s true, you idiot!” attorney Aaron Schlossberg is shown screaming at a man while counter-protesting at a rally.

“Some of them are! Some of them are!”

Schlossberg, wearing a shirt emblazoned with “American” and flanked by men wearing “Make America Great Again” hats, also calls his verbal sparring partner “a loser.”

“You’re fat and ugly. That’s losing, that’s losing. Do I like I’m losing to you? I’m winning at life, you’re losing. I’m smart,” he says.

Schlossberg then performs a bizarre dance in the direction of another protester that looks like a mash-up of a boxing stance and a hand jive.

The Shitheads are having a moment, thanks Trump.

748. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5674531)

Whichever side any of us may be on, we can all agree that it's inspiring to see politicians voting their conscience.
   749. The Good Face Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5674533)

Hilarious. You poor, poor snowflake...

I was serious, it IS fun! For everybody but the witch. But don't worry, it's fine. There is zero chance that people you use a tactic against could ever start using it against you. Right?
   750. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:18 PM (#5674534)
I was serious, it IS fun! For everybody but the witch. But don't worry, it's fine. There is zero chance that people you use a tactic against could ever start using it against you. Right?

I couldn't say.

I've never accosted anyone I don't know on the street or in an eatery and started cursing at them, much less done it multiple times.

Because I'm not a crazy person.

751. The Good Face Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5674536)
I see your ##### still hurts, cuck.

Yes, I'm having a real sad reliving the memory of you running screaming to Jim in terror with piss dribbling down your leg.

752. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5674537)
Whichever side any of us may be on, we can all agree that it's inspiring to see politicians voting their conscience.

I'm starting to think that at least part of the so called "4th wave feminism" is just making it so mediocre women can get the same hall pass as mediocre men in professional society. She's a #### choice, but then again (mostly) shitty men have been the choice for all of history.

See the rise of Amy Schumer's "comedy" as another example. Payback for Sandler I guess.
   753. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5674538)
Were it me, I'd have agreed with John McCain that running torture programs makes you permanently ineligible... but apparently half a dozen Democrats, being the liberal forgivers of past transgressions that they are, felt otherwise.

Then you must have been really pissed at the 49 Democratic Senators who supported John Brennan's CIA Director nomination. Oh, wait . . . that was by Obama.
   754. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5674539)
Yes, I'm having a real sad reliving the memory of you running screaming to Jim in terror with piss dribbling down your leg.

It was her leg, and it wasn't piss.
   755. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:23 PM (#5674540)
Whenever I worry about whether my identity will leak, I just wear a black wool hat low on my forehead, cower behind a black umbrella, and wander aimlessly next to parked cars. Nothing better than going incognito.

That sounds like a hassle. I just press ctrl+shift+n.
   756. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5674541)
“He didn’t call Mexicans rapists. He said the people coming over here are rapists. But it’s true, you idiot!” attorney Aaron Schlossberg is shown screaming at a man while counter-protesting at a rally.

Hmmmm. And he claims to be a lawyer. AND we haven't seen SBB in a minute.
   757. tshipman Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5674542)

This is a prime example of why Obama's failure to prosecute war crimes or at the least have a truth commission was the biggest mistake of his presidency.
   758. The Good Face Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:26 PM (#5674543)
I couldn't say.

I've never accosted anyone I don't know on the street or in an eatery and started cursing at them, much less done it multiple times.

Because I'm not a crazy person.

Well, I think we can all agree that the proper means of dealing with crazy people is to dox them and/or publically humiliate them with the help of the media. Pretty sure that's in the DSM-5, somewhere near the back.
   759. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:27 PM (#5674544)
This is a prime example of why Obama's failure to prosecute war crimes or at the least have a truth commission was the biggest mistake of his presidency.

imagine how "weak on terror" he would have been seen as then. I've talked at length about my problems with Obama (and continuing Bush's rendition and drone and posture is one of them) but politically it was a smart move.
   760. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5674546)
Well, I think we can all agree that the proper means of dealing with crazy people is to dox them and/or publically humiliate them with the help of the media.

If you don't want to find yourself the subject of numerous racist rant videos on the internet, to the point where you become an avatar of Crazy Racist Ranting Guy on the internet, perhaps consider not getting into situations where the people you're racistly ranting at with your racist rants are filming you racistly ranting at them with their phone.
   761. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:30 PM (#5674547)
Then you must have been really pissed at the 49 Democratic Senators who supported John Brennan's CIA Director nomination. Oh, wait . . . that was by Obama.

In point of fact, you'll be sorely disappointed if you try to find any posts from me praising Brennan.

However, you seem to have a real problem seeing the point.

John Brennan supporting rendition of suspects to places where he certainly knew that they would be tortured is NOT as bad as actually running the torture program yourself.

Both are bad. Both should be disqualifying... but just so you get it correct: I consider the torturer worse than the guy who enabled torture through flimsy deniability.

How do you rank it?
   762. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:31 PM (#5674548)
Ha ha, the Yelp trolls must feel like fools now about leaving nasty "reviews" on Aaron Schlossberg's place of business.

Racist lawyer kicked out of his office space

Probably just part of his CrowdFunding strategy. Maybe TGF can make the first contribution.
   763. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5674550)
EDIT: The more careful reader might make the comparison between the allegation that some people are "apologizing" for MS-13 and Jason's point blank apology for the Aryan Brotherhood.
You're even more adorable when completely unhinged *and* truly desperate.
   764. perros Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5674551)

See the rise of Amy Schumer's "comedy" as another example. Payback for Sandler I guess.

Are you saying it's torture to watch them?

Our politics is largely charade, including all the partisan snipping that goes on here. If you support CIA, you support torture and the subversion of democracy, both home and abroad. But then, that's where we are in this late stage of empire. Might as well sit back in the comforts of the internet and enjoy the slowride to hell.
   765. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:33 PM (#5674552)
For YR. Republican science!

Every time you have that soil or rock or whatever it is that is deposited into the seas, that forces the sea levels to rise, because now you have less space in those oceans, because the bottom is moving up.
- Mo Brooks, R-Alabama
   766. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5674553)
The REALLY stupid part is that ... who cares if you DEPORT foreign gang members? If they commit crimes you catch them and put them in jail. If you deport them they are going to ... what? Be criminals in Central America? NOT sneak back in the country?
If there's a better argument for extending the border wall, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks, zenbitz!
   767. Srul Itza Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:35 PM (#5674554)
I consider the torturer worse than the guy who enabled torture through flimsy deniability.

I consider the second one worse. If you are going to torture, have the stomach to do it yourself, so you know what you are doing.
   768. tshipman Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:35 PM (#5674555)
imagine how "weak on terror" he would have been seen as then. I've talked at length about my problems with Obama (and continuing Bush's rendition and drone and posture is one of them) but politically it was a smart move.

Moral leadership isn't something that should be subject to politics. Let John McCain run the committee, make it truly bipartisan, and make it clear that no one will go to jail, but for God's sake, don't just brush it under the ####### rug.
   769. manchestermets Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:35 PM (#5674556)
Hmmmm. And he claims to be a lawyer. AND we haven't seen SBB in a minute.

That would be excellent. Doesn't SBB claim to be Jewish as well?

For everybody but the witch.

Witches don't exist. Racist Manhattan lawyers doing racist rants on camera exist.
   770. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5674557)
Well, I think we can all agree that the proper means of dealing with crazy people is to dox them and/or publically humiliate them with the help of the media. Pretty sure that's in the DSM-5, somewhere near the back.

How else was anyone supposed to bring him to the attention of a trained professional who actually shares his vision like yourself?

Years of people just telling him "You ought to spend some time on The Good Face's couch" didn't work and you were too busy to seek him out, apparently.

So now - the healing can began.

You know him and I hope that soon, what with his name and particulars being so public - I hope he will soon know you.

Everybody wins. As an attorney, he probably even has the resources so that you don't have to treat him pro bono.
   771. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5674558)
Well Manafort's going to trial and his SOL just flipped.
   772. Srul Itza Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:38 PM (#5674560)
Well, I think we can all agree that the proper means of dealing with crazy people is to dox them and/or publically humiliate them with the help of the media.

He wasn't "crazy" in any clinical sense. And in identifying himself as a lawyer, he essentially put the burden on the rest of the legal profession to locate him and report him, to the extent they believed his actions violated the Disciplinary Rules.
   773. perros Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:38 PM (#5674561)
politically it was a smart move

Obama could have done nothing else. It's kinda like with the Trump allegations. Spying on all its subjects is what this regime now does as a matter of course. It's not like we're going to question any of the dubious practices of the state. Even libertarians with nothing pitically to lose have largely given up the ghost.
   774. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:38 PM (#5674562)
Ah yes, the hellhole that is 20th and Mission in San Francisco. Or is that the roving hipster and "bike" gangs?
I can't recall: Is San Francisco the city that gave birth to the homeless poop map?
   775. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5674563)
I don't think this is it. Jason made compromises. At first he was #NeverTrump, then it was only Trump because Clinton was so bad. Then it was still no to Trump, but Jason was willing to use him in order to achieve long standing policy goals. Then, he got used to defending Trump's policy goals. Then, he got used to defending Trump.

Now he's a full-on Trumpista. Immigrant gangs are the real problem.

YOU FORGOT TO MENTION THE EMBASSY, DAMNIT.
   776. perros Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5674564)
Witches don't exist

That's what they want you to think.
   777. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:41 PM (#5674566)
For the record, while I disagree with Jason on ... um ... nearly everything I don't think he is the kind of person Rickey! is portraying him as. He certainly doesn't seem racist to me. War and GOP loving (redundant?) and hating anything that hints at Islam, sure, but I think calling him racist is a bridge too far (Only TGF among those that post here warrants that IMO).
In fairness, it was zonk who openly claimed Clapper and I were racists. Sammy despises me primarily because I've got more range at SS.
   778. The Good Face Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:42 PM (#5674567)
If you don't want to find yourself the subject of numerous racist rant videos on the internet, to the point where you become an avatar of Crazy Racist Ranting Guy on the internet, perhaps consider not getting into situations where the people you're racistly ranting at with your racist rants are filming you racistly ranting at them with their phone.

Or they could beg the owner of the website where they post their anti-Semitic rants to protect them from the consequences of their own idiocy. That seemed to work OK for you.
   779. manchestermets Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:42 PM (#5674568)
For YR. Republican science!

Hey, Aesop's Fables are at the very forefront of modern scientific thinking!
   780. perros Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:43 PM (#5674569)
The practice of torture is simply sadism, a demonstration of unchecked power. Haspel is an entirely appropriate choice as DCI. The gloves are completely off pretending we're better than that.
   781. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:43 PM (#5674570)
He wasn't "crazy" in any clinical sense. And in identifying himself as a lawyer, he essentially put the burden on the rest of the legal profession to locate him and report him, to the extent they believed his actions violated the Disciplinary Rules.

Well, 'crazy' is perhaps not the most politic term I could have used... granted. Apologies.

But I do feel pretty sure that multiple episodes of cursing strangers on the street or in a cafeteria would constitute some sort of clinical problem that would benefit from professional help.

Hence, why I remain hopeful that our resident professional reaches out and gets him the help he needs to navigate this world of people who speak other languages, walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk, or don't behave like good Jews should.
   782. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:44 PM (#5674571)
Here's my compound if slightly cynical take on Haspel's confirmation:

---If she'd been rejected, Trump would've nominated someone worse, only one with fewer footprints.

---If voting for Haspel is what it takes to get Democrats in Indiana, West Virginia, etc., elected over Trump-backed Republican alternatives, I'm not going to condemn them. Far far far and away the most important thing is to break Trump's congressional majorities, and those 6 Democrats will help accomplish that far better than 6 more Republicans.
   783. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5674574)
You and JE seem to think that James Comey is more of a threat to the Republic than a president who lies over half a dozen times a day and is a racist right down to his bones.
As of today, that's correct. Comey's actions were more damaging to the Republic.
   784. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5674575)
But I do feel pretty sure that multiple episodes of cursing strangers on the street or in a cafeteria would constitute some sort of clinical problem that would benefit from professional help.

Sometimes a racist asshole is just a racist asshole.
   785. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:48 PM (#5674576)
Anyone who backed John "Gus Hall for POTUS" Brennan has a lot of nerve saying #### about Haspel.
   786. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5674578)
You and JE seem to think that James Comey is more of a threat to the Republic than a president who lies over half a dozen times a day and is a racist right down to his bones.

As of today, that's correct. Comey's actions were more damaging to the Republic.

May you live long enough to retract those words, or may your survivors have the pity not to engrave them on your tombstone. You're carving out one hell of a legacy here.
   787. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:50 PM (#5674579)

Just imagine what happens he joins forces with MS-13.

We'll all never get to experience the pride of onion-domed Trump towers.
   788. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5674580)

Fay Vincent:
The effort to reform intelligence operations to make them moral was a noble one—and the damage it wrought to national security took decades to undo. The new generation of CIA veterans like Ms. Haspel must wonder if anyone in the current Senate has even heard of the Church Committee.

Senators today seem to assume there is agreement on what constitutes moral conduct in spycraft. But recruiting spies is not the work of moralists. The CIA’s mission involves persuading others to disregard their deepest moral and legal obligations. It is a dirty yet necessary business, not best examined in open hearings.

In 1977 my friend Dick Helms was prosecuted by the Carter Justice Department for perjury after he denied in an open Senate hearing that the CIA had been involved in the 1973 overthrow of the Allende government in Chile. Helms was bound by his oath as a CIA officer never to reveal classified secrets. Yet before the Senate he was under the perjury threat if he fulfilled his obligation to preserve intelligence secrets. What was the moral thing to do in that situation?

Helms lied because he was operating under longstanding directions he and others at the agency had received from senior senators, including Democrat Richard Russell of Georgia, who worried candid answers in open hearings might risk “the lives of our boys.” They instructed Helms to protect intelligence operations in such hearings.

Helms’s defense lawyer. Edward Bennett Williams, warned the Justice Department he would have Helms testify in open court to numerous examples of CIA officials lying to Congress to preserve secret agency activities, with the likely exposure of important top-secret operations. The government relented, and Williams arranged for Helms to plead guilty to a misdemeanor with no penalty. In 1983 President Reagan recognized Helms’s long service with a National Security Medal as an implicit apology. No CIA director has since been charged with a crime.

Intelligence work can involve complex judgments about morality and even legality. The law must remain our bulwark, morality a sweet frosting. To serve as head of the CIA is to be in charge of vital operations that must be subject to the rule of law, not the moral sensitivities of any one person.
   789. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:53 PM (#5674581)
May you live long enough to retract those words, or may your survivors have the pity not to engrave them on your tombstone. You're carving out one hell of a legacy here.

Comey got Trump elected, so, Juan is correct.
   790. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:55 PM (#5674582)
Couldn't happen to worthier person...

So if you're scoring at home, 20 House Republicans - just 5 short (assuming all Dems) - are trying to force a discharge motion on a moderate immigration bill that Paul Ryan and haircare apparent Kevin McCarthy desperately do not want to bring to the floor.

Meanwhile, the crazies... oops, sorry, the clinically unwell caucus are threatening to hold up a farm bill unless THEIR immigration bill comes to the floor.

Awesome.

I'm almost interested in learning which scares Paulie Nonuts and the haircare apparent more.
   791. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:55 PM (#5674584)
Hey, everything's worse than before, but that's thanks to a group effort. Trump is the result. Since you disagree... SHRUG.
   792. tshipman Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:55 PM (#5674585)
Intelligence work can involve complex judgments about morality and even legality. The law must remain our bulwark,

Good thing torture was ####### illegal you sick ####.
   793. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:59 PM (#5674587)
Hey, everything's worse than before, but that's a consequence of a group effort. Trump is the result. Since you disagree... SHRUG.

The party of responsibility, everyone!

It's not the Trumpkins fault that they elected and continue to front for Trump... it's the fault of their environment.
   794. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 05:59 PM (#5674588)
Good thing torture was ####### illegal you sick ####.
The enhanced interrogation methods you're wigging out over were legal.
   795. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 17, 2018 at 06:01 PM (#5674589)
That would be excellent. Doesn't SBB claim to be Jewish as well?
No, but he does claim to have black relatives who agree with him on stuff. TGF is the one with the implausible claim to be a MOT.
   796. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 17, 2018 at 06:01 PM (#5674590)

Uh-oh.

I'm going to out you to Trump for defending a Bush!
   797. tshipman Posted: May 17, 2018 at 06:01 PM (#5674591)

No, they weren't you Orwellian piece of ####.
   798. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: May 17, 2018 at 06:02 PM (#5674592)
Well Manafort's going to trial and his SOL just flipped.
That story isn't from the NYT or WaPo, so I need guidance on how to disregard it. It can't actually mean the Mueller Probe has any legitimacy, we've been assured of that.
   799. Stormy JE Posted: May 17, 2018 at 06:02 PM (#5674593)
It's not the Trumpkins fault that they elected and continue to front for Trump... it's the fault of their environment.
It's still a sweet mystery to zonk why so many two-time Obama voters picked Trump in 2016.
   800. perros Posted: May 17, 2018 at 06:04 PM (#5674595)
The REALLY stupid part is that ... who cares if you DEPORT foreign gang members? If they commit crimes you catch them and put them in jail. If you deport them they are going to ... what? Be criminals in Central America? NOT sneak back in the country?

Politically it was a smart move.
Page 8 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.