Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 21, 2018

OTP 2018 May 21: President takes British royalty to a baseball game, May 15, 1991

The 65-year-old queen, dressed in a below-the-knee blue and red dress, black gloves and three strands of pearls, entered the Orioles dugout along the third base line. She formed a receiving line with her husband and the president, clad in a navy blazer, and Barbara Bush. The first lady wore a blue and white floral print dress.

While the VIP guests took their positions designated by their names on 3-by-5 cards, the song “Brown-Eyed Girl” played over the stadium’s public-address system. Their images appeared on the video screen in right-center field.

“I’ve been playing baseball for 10 years, and I’m used to a normal atmosphere,” said Cal Ripken Jr., the Orioles shortstop, after exchanging handshakes. “This is a lot different. There’s a lot of excitement.”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 21, 2018 at 07:42 AM | 1375 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baltimore orioles, oakland athletics, off topic, politics, polyamorous wood

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 14 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 12 13 14
   1301. greenback took the 110 until the 105 Posted: May 27, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5680419)
Elon Musk: Not a huge fan of the media, though.

Musk is a huge fan of the media when they talk about how awesome he is. There's a certain euphemism for what Trump does to Putin which has applied to the media's fawning treatment of Musk over the years. He's not such a big fan when the media reports the obvious, that Tesla is slipping towards bankruptcy.
   1302. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 27, 2018 at 06:41 PM (#5680420)
Today's obedience school Do Now: "How can we spin losing 1,500 kids?"

Too bad the Democratic pizza pedophile murder ring excuse is off the table.
   1303. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 27, 2018 at 06:51 PM (#5680423)
It's like there's an echo, echo, echo...

Yeah, from Trump to Sarah Sanders to Devin Nunes to the Daily Caller to you. Purely coincidental, I'm sure.
   1304. Stormy JE Posted: May 27, 2018 at 08:49 PM (#5680446)
Yeah, from Trump to Sarah Sanders to Devin Nunes to the Daily Caller to you. Purely coincidental, I'm sure.
Oh dear, now Andy fails to grasp how the echo chamber works.
   1305. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 27, 2018 at 09:29 PM (#5680468)

Oh dear, now Andy fails to grasp how the echo chamber works.

On the contrary, you're not even noticing how identical your talking points here are to those three other above-named parrots. You're still stuck in that first stage of denial, while pretending that those talking points have been independently arrived at.

Seriously, just look at all those links you keep posting: Daily Caller, The Federalist, National Review, Washington Examiner, Andrew McCarthy, etc., etc. The list just goes on and on. Hell, if your buddy were still alive you'd probably be linking to Breitbart.
   1306. Lassus Posted: May 27, 2018 at 10:00 PM (#5680489)
   1307. Stormy JE Posted: May 27, 2018 at 10:22 PM (#5680515)
On the contrary, you're not even noticing how identical your talking points here are to those three other above-named parrots. You're still stuck in that first stage of denial, while pretending that those talking points have been independently arrived at.
Oh really? I'm mimicking what Trump and Sanders say? Citations?
Seriously, just look at all those links you keep posting: Daily Caller, The Federalist, National Review, Washington Examiner, Andrew McCarthy, etc., etc. The list just goes on and on. Hell, if your buddy were still alive you'd probably be linking to Breitbart.
Yes, I do link to those publications, just as you regularly link to error-ridden WaPo/NYT articles and editorials, as well as Jen Rubin's hysteria-laced columns.

And yet, that's not how an echo chamber works.
   1308. Stormy JE Posted: May 27, 2018 at 10:33 PM (#5680534)
For Jason: NY Times, 2016, on the Obama immigration detention centers.
This doesn't help your cause, Lassus. It just makes the MSM folks blindly accepting that photo from 2014 with anti-Trump talking points look that much more pathetic.
   1309. Stormy JE Posted: May 27, 2018 at 10:49 PM (#5680554)
Caleb Hull on Obama pod bro Jon Favreau:
I don’t know what’s worse... Obama’s speech writer self-owning himself by sharing an article dating back to 2014 under Obama or him deleting his tweet showing that he doesn’t actually care about the kids and just wanted to dunk on Trump
   1310. greenback took the 110 until the 105 Posted: May 27, 2018 at 11:04 PM (#5680588)
Today's obedience school Do Now: "How can we spin losing 1,500 kids?"

Judging by JE's posts, the directive was to make the story about Obama. Yay for nihilism.
   1311. Stormy JE Posted: May 27, 2018 at 11:11 PM (#5680596)
Judging by JE's posts, the directive was to make the story about Obama. Yay for nihilism.
Right, how dare we take note of MSM folks and Obama loyalists (forgive the redundancy) making total asses out of themselves. Outrageous!

And of course, these children weren't in the federal government's custody. But don't let that inconvenient fact stop you.
   1312. greenback took the 110 until the 105 Posted: May 27, 2018 at 11:16 PM (#5680598)
Right, how dare we take note of MSM folks and Obama loyalists (forgive the redundancy) making asses out of themselves. Outrageous!

Yes, it is outrageous, when the sole purpose of your commentary is to deflect from an awful policy. You understand that, and in fact embrace that purpose.

You're a nihilist. Deal with it.
   1313. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 27, 2018 at 11:30 PM (#5680603)

Oh really? I'm mimicking what Trump and Sanders say? Citations?

If you're not mimicking them, then they're mimicking you. I do admit it's hard to tell the difference when the only criticisms you've made of Trump since he was inaugurated have been mild disagreements over tone or tactics.

Yes, I do link to those publications, just as you regularly link to error-ridden WaPo/NYT articles and editorials, as well as Jen Rubin's hysteria-laced columns.

First, I almost never link to editorials. The Times editorial today may have been the first I've ever cited from them, and I think I've linked to one from the Post.

Second, when I link to opinion pieces they're almost exclusively to those written by conservatives.** Your problem is that you no longer can distinguish between an honest conservative and a madman like Trump.

Third, only someone completely in the tank would equate those right wing websites you constantly summon for backup opinions with news articles from two of the three most respected papers in the country.

What Trump told Lesley Stahl shortly after his election is worth repeating at this point:

At the Deadline Club Awards presentation, [Judy] Woodruff asked Stahl about her November 2016 interview with Trump — his first after the election victory. Stahl described going to meet with him at Trump Tower in the months before the interview, along with one of her bosses, whom she did not name. After Trump began to unload on the news media, she said, she asked him whether he planned to stop attacking the press, which was a hallmark of his campaign.

“I said, you know that is getting tired, why are you doing this — you’re doing it over and over and it’s boring,” Stahl said. “He said you know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all, so when you write negative stories about me no one will believe you.”

Stahl's striking anecdote fell into a silent moment in the room. Woodruff shook her head.

“He said that,” Stahl said, raising her eyebrows. “So put that in your head for a minute.”

The White House did not respond to a request for comment.

Emphasis added. This is your president. Be proud.

** Rubin, Stephens, Douthat, Gerson, Max Boot, Nick Eberstadt, etc. I don't post op-eds from liberal/leftist commentators. Sorry to disappoint you.
   1314. Lassus Posted: May 27, 2018 at 11:39 PM (#5680607)
This doesn't help your cause the cause I invented for you, Lassus.
Well, no shit, Jason.
   1315. Jess Franco Posted: May 28, 2018 at 06:50 AM (#5680631)
And one of the more painful accusations to come out of the entertainment industry’s outing of sexual predators in its midst came from a man named Scott Brunton, who said in November that beloved Star Trek actor and social-media personality George Takei had drugged and groped him after a night out in 1981. Now, Brunton has walked back his story in a new report from Observer, and Takei has responded with forgiveness.

It's been my experience that if you get your drink and drug on with somebody who wants to have sex with you, nine times out of ten groping will be on the program.
   1316. Jess Franco Posted: May 28, 2018 at 08:19 AM (#5680633)
   1317. Lassus Posted: May 28, 2018 at 08:21 AM (#5680634)
The War Prayer
by Mark Twain

It was a time of great and exalting excitement. The country was up in arms, the war was on, in every breast burned the holy fire of patriotism; the drums were beating, the bands playing, the toy pistols popping, the bunched firecrackers hissing and spluttering; on every hand and far down the receding and fading spread of roofs and balconies a fluttering wilderness of flags flashed in the sun; daily the young volunteers marched down the wide avenue gay and fine in their new uniforms, the proud fathers and mothers and sisters and sweethearts cheering them with voices choked with happy emotion as they swung by; nightly the packed mass meetings listened, panting, to patriot oratory with stirred the deepest deeps of their hearts, and which they interrupted at briefest intervals with cyclones of applause, the tears running down their cheeks the while; in the churches the pastors preached devotion to flag and country, and invoked the God of Battles beseeching His aid in our good cause in outpourings of fervid eloquence which moved every listener.

It was indeed a glad and gracious time, and the half dozen rash spirits that ventured to disapprove of the war and cast a doubt upon its righteousness straightway got such a stern and angry warning that for their personal safety’s sake they quickly shrank out of sight and offended no more in that way.

Sunday morning came — next day the battalions would leave for the front; the church was filled; the volunteers were there, their young faces alight with martial dreams — visions of the stern advance, the gathering momentum, the rushing charge, the flashing sabers, the flight of the foe, the tumult, the enveloping smoke, the fierce pursuit, the surrender!

Then home from the war, bronzed heroes, welcomed, adored, submerged in golden seas of glory! With the volunteers sat their dear ones, proud, happy, and envied by the neighbors and friends who had no sons and brothers to send forth to the field of honor, there to win for the flag, or, failing, die the noblest of noble deaths. The service proceeded; a war chapter from the Old Testament was read; the first prayer was said; it was followed by an organ burst that shook the building, and with one impulse the house rose, with glowing eyes and beating hearts, and poured out that tremendous invocation:

God the all-terrible! Thou who ordainest,
Thunder thy clarion and lightning thy sword!

Then came the “long” prayer. None could remember the like of it for passionate pleading and moving and beautiful language. The burden of its supplication was, that an ever-merciful and benignant Father of us all would watch over our noble young soldiers, and aid, comfort, and encourage them in their patriotic work; bless them, shield them in the day of battle and the hour of peril, bear them in His mighty hand, make them strong and confident, invincible in the bloody onset; help them crush the foe, grant to them and to their flag and country imperishable honor and glory —

An aged stranger entered and moved with slow and noiseless step up the main aisle, his eyes fixed upon the minister, his long body clothed in a robe that reached to his feet, his head bare, his white hair descending in a frothy cataract to his shoulders, his seamy face unnaturally pale, pale even to ghastliness. With all eyes following him and wondering, he made his silent way; without pausing, he ascended to the preacher’s side and stood there waiting. With shut lids the preacher, unconscious of his presence, continued his moving prayer, and at last finished it with the words, uttered in fervent appeal, “Bless our arms, grant us the victory, O Lord and God, Father and Protector of our land and flag!”

The stranger touched his arm, motioned him to step aside — which the startled minister did — and took his place. During some moments he surveyed the spellbound audience with solemn eyes, in which burned an uncanny light; then in a deep voice he said:

“I come from the Throne — bearing a message from Almighty God!” The words smote the house with a shock; if the stranger perceived it he gave no attention. “He has heard the prayer of His servant your shepherd, and will grant it if such be your desire after I, His messenger, shall have explained to you its import — that is to say, its full import. For it is like unto many of the prayers of men, in that it asks for more than he who utters it is aware of — except he pause and think. “God’s servant and yours has prayed his prayer. Has he paused and taken thought? Is it one prayer? No, it is two — one uttered, and the other not. Both have reached the ear of Him who heareth all supplications, the spoken and the unspoken. Ponder this — keep it in mind. If you would beseech a blessing upon yourself, beware! lest without intent you invoke a curse upon your neighbor at the same time. If you pray for the blessing of rain on your crop which needs it, by that act you are possibly praying for a curse on some neighbor’s crop which may not need rain and can be injured by it.

“You have heard your servant’s prayer — the uttered part of it. I am commissioned by God to put into words the other part of it — that part which the pastor — and also you in your hearts — fervently prayed silently. And ignorantly and unthinkingly? God grant that it was so! You heard the words ‘Grant us the victory, O Lord our God!’ That is sufficient. The whole of the uttered prayer is compact into those pregnant words. Elaborations were not necessary. When you have prayed for victory you have prayed for many unmentioned results which follow victory — must follow it, cannot help but follow it. Upon the listening spirit of God fell also the unspoken part of the prayer. He commandeth me to put it into words. Listen!

“Lord our Father, our young patriots, idols of our hearts, go forth into battle — be Thou near them! With them — in spirit — we also go forth from the sweet peace of our beloved firesides to smite the foe. O Lord our God, help us tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with their little children to wander unfriended in the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames in summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it —

For our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimmage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet!

We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is the ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen.

(After a pause.) “Ye have prayed it; if ye still desire it, speak! The messenger of the Most High waits.”

It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.
   1318. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 28, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5680730)
Bill Clinton today:
Remembering, honoring, and thanking all who served our great country. #MemorialDay2018
George W. Bush today:
“On Memorial Day we honor, we remember, we mourn, and we give thanks to those soldiers, sailors, Marines, airmen and Coast Guardsmen who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country, and for each of us.”
Barack Obama today:
"We can never truly repay the debt we owe our fallen heroes. But we can remember them, honor their sacrifice, and affirm in our own lives those enduring ideals of justice, equality, and opportunity for which generations of Americans have given that last full measure of devotion."
Donald Trump today:
Happy Memorial Day! Those who died for our great country would be very happy and proud at how well our country is doing today. Best economy in decades, lowest unemployment numbers for Blacks and Hispanics EVER (& women in 18years), rebuilding our Military and so much more. Nice!
   1319. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 28, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5680744)
Sociopaths gonna sociopath.
   1320. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 28, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5680745)
Jason, of course, agrees that Memorial Day is meant to polish Dear Leader’s knob.
   1321. Stormy JE Posted: May 28, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5680773)
An English Teacher's Incorrect Correction of a Trump Letter Illustrates His Critics' Reflexive Condescension:
A glance at Donald Trump's Twitter feed is enough to show that the president does not have a firm grasp of punctuation and tends to capitalize words arbitrarily. By comparison, the form letter that Yvonne Mason received from Trump, which presumably was written by a staffer on his behalf, is a model of care. Yet Mason, a retired English teacher in Atlanta, thought the letter was so riddled with errors that she marked it up, posted a photo of it on Facebook, and sent the "corrected" version back to the White House. I know about this incident only because The New York Times thought it was worth a story, as part of a continuing series on what a huge doofus the president is.

Don't get me wrong. The president is a huge doofus. But Mason's markup of his letter does not reinforce that point. In fact, none of Mason's corrections is correct, although there are at least two mistakes in the letter that she neglected to note. Mason's showy but erroneous pedantry illustrates the tendency of Trump's opponents to cast policy disagreements as questions of competence and to delight in everything that reflects badly on him, even when that thing is not, strictly speaking, true. These tendencies, which mirror Trump's own fondness for ad hominem attacks and recklessness with facts, alienate potential allies while confirming his supporters' conviction that he is sticking it to a supercilious elite that holds them in contempt.
So many rakes to step on, so little time...
   1322. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 28, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5680781)
Jason, of course, agrees that Memorial Day is meant to polish Dear Leader’s knob.

He's got plenty to say about some silly English teacher's pedantic letter, but nothing to say about Trump's childishly inappropriate Memorial Day tweet. Pretty much par for the Mar-a-lago course.
   1323. zenbitz Posted: May 28, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5680791)
@1284 honestly I have no idea, because everything he does on public is 100% disingenuous.
   1324. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 28, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5680794)
Nice.

“But JUANABOUT this far-left so-called teacher, hmmmmmm?”
   1325. Stormy JE Posted: May 28, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5680796)
He's got plenty to say about some silly English teacher's pedantic letter, but nothing to say about Trump's childishly inappropriate Memorial Day tweet. Pretty much par for the Mar-a-lago course.
Um, I wouldn't even know about the silly English teacher's pedantic letter if your beloved Gray Lady hadn't found her shtick incredibly newsworthy.

As for Trump's Memorial Day tweet, he's made enormous strides toward respectability. Have you already forgotten the one he posted three years ago?
I would like to wish everyone, including all haters and losers (of which, sadly, there are many) a truly happy and enjoyable Memorial Day!
   1326. Stormy JE Posted: May 28, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5680801)
I agree on balance with this thread:
Time for some facts. There are 3 separate immigration stories that are seemingly being conflated by the media & pundits.

Story 1: ACLU report on migrants children being abused.

Story 2: Feds lost track of ~1500 minor immigrants.

Story 3: Separations of families at the border.
Story 1: This story is based on an ACLU report that covers 2009-2014. It has nothing to do with the Trump admin or separating families as it mostly relates to unaccompanied minors at the border. However, the abuses were serious and systematic. Very possible many still occurring.
Story 2: This is being covered as a scandal, but I do not believe it is one. Essentially thousands of unaccompanied minors were processed and then released to family members or others in the US. When HHS tried to check on them later, ~1500/8000 didn't respond to the survey.
There are quite a few reasons why the adults taking care of them might ignore an HHS follow up. That doesn't meant they are lost or something bad happened. The only alternative to keep track of them would be for us to keep them detained, which pro-immigration advocates oppose.
Story 3: Many families crossing the border, including those seeking asylum, are now being separated as a deterrent. The reason for this is that the Trump admin has created a policy of referring EVERY illegal border crossing for federal prosecution (even asylum seekers).

Cont.
Is it true that the Obama admin never separated families? No, Obama's admin did this too in some cases, but it happens way more often with the new policy. The Obama admin had several camps where they would detain families together while their cases were being processed.
Is this an effective deterrent? Evidence suggests that it has deterred some people, but that doesn't make it a good policy. There is a tough balance between deterrence and being humane, especially when kids are involved. Asylum seekers should be kept together imo.
To conclude: These are 3 very different stories. All of them are complex, but people who try to blend them all together or suggest they are unique to the Trump administration are either being dishonest or ignorant.

The media needs to do a better job explaining them.
   1327. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 28, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5680802)
Remember that time when a President's opponents were nice to him, thus causing his support and agenda to fall apart?

Democrats sure don't. It's the gratuitous insults from the deranged left that have buoyed Trump's approval rating to its 38%-42% heights. Just imagine how far down Trump would be if liberals were sweeter and more civil.
   1328. Stormy JE Posted: May 28, 2018 at 05:28 PM (#5680803)
Democrats sure don't. It's the gratuitous insults from the deranged left that have buoyed Trump's approval rating to its 38%-42% heights. Just imagine how far down Trump would be if liberals were sweeter and more civil.
Actually, Trump's job approval is at 44 percent in the current RCP average.
   1329. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 28, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5680809)
Opinion piece posted in WaPo:

There would be no NFL without black players. They can resist the anthem policy.

The NFL and its 32 team owners have introduced a policy requiring players to stand for the national anthem. Those refusing to do so have two options: Stay in the locker room until “The Star-Spangled Banner” ends or risk being fined for noncompliance. This is an obvious violation of players’ First Amendment rights. And the issue is inescapably about race.

It is obviously not a violation of players' First Amendment rights. "Congress shall make no law." Roger Goodell is not Congress.

Now, perhaps the players could challenge the discipline as not collectively bargained.

Either the columnist hasn't read the Constitution -- perhaps Khizr Khan could lend him his copy? -- or he wants to force the league to behave a certain way despite the Constitution. Which would seem rather... authoritarian and unAmerican.
   1330. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 28, 2018 at 05:59 PM (#5680813)
JE replying, #1328:
It's the gratuitous insults from the deranged left that have buoyed Trump's approval rating to its 38%-42% heights. Just imagine how far down Trump would be if liberals were sweeter and more civil.

What, no LINK? Outrageous! Anyway, Trump's approval is 42.6% on 538.com's aggregator. Proper credit goes to that snide teacher for the 0.6%.
   1331. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 28, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5680816)

Um, I wouldn't even know about the silly English teacher's pedantic letter if your beloved Gray Lady hadn't found her shtick incredibly newsworthy.

And you might note also Mizz Gray Lady also corrected the silly English teacher's corrections, as did the Reason author. Let's call it a slow news day.

As for Trump's Memorial Day tweet, he's made enormous strides toward respectability. Have you already forgotten the one he posted three years ago?
I would like to wish everyone, including all haters and losers (of which, sadly, there are many) a truly happy and enjoyable Memorial Day!

Yes, and at the rate he's going, by 2020 his Memorial Day tweets might reach the grace of the messages quoted in #1318, though I think that you'd be demanding Bivens-level odds to put your money on it. Your better bet would be that his thumbs will develop a case of terminal laryngitis.
   1332. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 28, 2018 at 06:12 PM (#5680817)

And if those percentages were properly weighted, you and Clapper would account for about 5% of it all by your lonesomes. (smile)
   1333. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: May 28, 2018 at 06:35 PM (#5680821)
Something, something, Clinton Foundation ...

vanka Trump’s fashion and homewares business received initial approval from the Chinese government for five trademark applications days before her father announced a U-turn in policy on ZTE, a Chinese telecoms firm that has admitted breaking US sanctions on Iran and North Korea.

Chinese trademark documents detailing the approvals were made public by Citizens for Ethics and Responsibility in Washington (Crew), a watchdog group. The group said the first daughter and White House adviser, who represents the US at diplomatic events, already held more than a dozen trademarks in China and multiple pending applications. Donald Trump holds more than 100 trademarks in China.

The five approvals, for applications made in 2017, came through on 7 May. On 13 May, Trump made the surprise announcement that he had instructed the Department of Commerce to help get ZTE “back into business”.

In April, the US government accused ZTE of misleading regulators after it settled charges of violating sanctions against North Korea and Iran. Its punishment was to be banned from US suppliers for seven years.

The latest registration approvals won by Ivanka Trump Marks llc include business trademark rights on goods including bathmats, textiles and baby blankets. While Ivanka Trump has stepped back from running the company while serving as an adviser to her father, she continues to profit from the business.

In the last three months, with what experts say is unusual speed, China has granted final approval for 13 trademarks and provisional approval for eight more. According to the New York Times, Ivanka Trump now holds 34 trademarks in the world’s second-largest economy. While she does not have a large business in China, most of her US imports are shipped from there. Clothing has been exempted from tariffs threatened by her father as part of his aggressive trade policy.

Graun
   1334. Lassus Posted: May 28, 2018 at 07:06 PM (#5680824)
As for Trump's Memorial Day tweet, he's made enormous strides toward respectability.

And there's your JE primer.
   1335. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 28, 2018 at 07:09 PM (#5680825)
As for Trump's Memorial Day tweet, he's made enormous strides toward respectability.

On this day of ultimate sacrifice, let us never forget that each of those enormous strides came despite crippling bone spurs.
   1336. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 28, 2018 at 07:13 PM (#5680827)
perhaps Khizr Khan could lend him his copy?

Love dunking on parents of a soldier KIA. Oh, and on Memorial Day. Likely typed from his home in a Trump tower. Remind me again who is the supercilious elite?
   1337. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 28, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5680830)
Humayan Khan died while running towards a speeding car bomb. The whole thing was over in seconds. Whereas the Keyboard Kommandos' sentry duty against possible virtue signalers is a never-ending, lifelong commitment of honor and patriotism.
   1338. Lassus Posted: May 28, 2018 at 07:37 PM (#5680832)
Love dunking on parents of a soldier KIA. Oh, and on Memorial Day.

JE's made enormous strides toward respectability.
   1339. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: May 28, 2018 at 07:38 PM (#5680833)
Just keep digging, Dana, just keep digging ...

California Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a Republican in one of the tightest races of his career, lost the support of realtors in his district after he told members of the Orange County Association of Realtors that homeowners should have the right to refuse to sell to LGBTQ buyers.

“Every homeowner should be able to make a decision not to sell their home to someone (if) they don’t agree with their lifestyle,” Rohrbacher said, according to the Orange County Register.

When the newspaper asked him to clarify his remarks, Rohrabacher added, “We’ve drawn a line on racism, but I don’t think we should extend that line,” and that “a homeowner should not be required to be in business with someone they think is doing something that is immoral.”

Link
   1340. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 28, 2018 at 07:46 PM (#5680835)
The only proper value of a Trumpkin is as a vessel to water the roots of the tree of liberty.
   1341. JJ1986 Posted: May 28, 2018 at 07:53 PM (#5680836)
“a homeowner should not be required to be in business with someone they think is doing something that is immoral.”
Maybe he meant they shouldn't have to be in business with agents of foreign powers.
   1342. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 28, 2018 at 08:01 PM (#5680837)
The Curse of Clapper Strikes Again!

Turns out Gonfalon can add Scott Garrett to that retirement tally after all as he has decided to pursue his Blake Farenthold stand-in work and spend more time with his bottle of MD 20/20.

I wonder if his RNC fax blasts have started arriving with a reminder: Please do not comment on the future of any of our officeholders again!
   1343. Lassus Posted: May 28, 2018 at 08:02 PM (#5680838)
perhaps Khizr Khan could lend him his copy?
Love dunking on parents of a soldier KIA. Oh, and on Memorial Day.
JE's made enormous strides toward respectability.

My honest apologies to Jason. I misread who the quote was from.
   1344. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: May 28, 2018 at 08:28 PM (#5680843)
Seems a little tone deaf for anyone to wish others a "Happy" Memorial Day. I know that for a lot of people, the day signifies the unofficial start of summer, a three-day weekend, and all that. Given the reason for the holiday, though, it seems like a good time to shelf the "Happy ____" line.
   1345. zenbitz Posted: May 28, 2018 at 08:30 PM (#5680844)
Once again, JE thinks it's a gotcha because part of Trump's treatment of illegal aliens is just a continuation of bad policy under Obama.

He thinks that because Obama did something, liberals will fall in line because Obama.

That's your side, dude.
   1346. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 28, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5680845)
Zonk, #1342:
The Curse of Clapper Strikes Again!

Turns out Gonfalon can add Scott Garrett to that retirement tally after all as he has decided to pursue his Blake Farenthold stand-in work and spend more time with his bottle of MD 20/20.

I wonder if his RNC fax blasts have started arriving with a reminder: Please do not comment on the future of any of our officeholders again!

Have I been summoned? In that case, I'll provide the new visual update.

But there are fine yellow-streaked runaways on both sides, on both sides. And the next Democrat to unilaterally cut short his or her public service will lift their party into double digits, too. Trouble afflicts everyone.
   1347. OCF Posted: May 28, 2018 at 08:42 PM (#5680848)

That man is not my representative - but he was for a decade, which I did not enjoy or appreciate. (I'm now in Alan Lowenthal's district - not one where there's any drama about the election.) OK, he no longer represents Long Beach, with its rather large gay population and cultural scene - but Laguna Beach is in his district. And you've got to figure there are a lot of people in Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, Newport Beach, etc. who have gay neighbors. That Orange County Associations of Realtors is not likely a hotbed of liberalism, but they know their market. By doing this, Dana R. is not playing a winning hand.
   1348. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 28, 2018 at 09:11 PM (#5680858)
Love dunking on parents of a soldier KIA. Oh, and on Memorial Day. Likely typed from his home in a Trump tower. Remind me again who is the supercilious elite?

Hey, if those attention whores didn’t want to be mocked by serious people like our Little Lord Fauntleray they should have kept every aspect of their lives and opinions private.
   1349. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 28, 2018 at 09:13 PM (#5680860)
Speaking of the House, here's some of a week-old 538 roundtable discussing the House stabathon that some suggest isn't really happening:

NATE SILVER: [Paul Ryan] hasn’t been an especially effective speaker. He doesn’t really have that much of a hold of his caucus. And there’s no reason for Kevin McCarthy or other people who want to be speaker NOT to try to oust him early.

CLARE MALONE: Propriety, I guess, is what the counterargument would be... I’m interested in someone explaining the logic of this [OMB Director Mick] Mulvaney quote to me:
“Wouldn’t it be great to force a Democrat running in a tight race to have to put up or shut up about voting for Nancy Pelosi eight weeks before an election? That’s a really, really good vote for us to force if we can figure out how to do it.”
SILVER: Yeah, that quote is obvious bullshit. ...First of all, there are very few vulnerable Democrats running in the House. The GOP won almost all the competitive seats in 2014 and 2016. Secondly, the Democrats have already voted on Pelosi as speaker, so it’s hard to see another vote having any marginal impact. Thirdly, some Democrats in tough races (and again, there are almost none of them) might appreciate an opportunity to throw Pelosi under the bus when there’s essentially no consequence to doing so. And fourthly, this is exactly the sort of self-serving excuse that one should be disdainful of. It’s a transparent excuse from McCarthy’s allies to do something they have lots of other reasons to do.
PERRY BACON JR: To take Mulvaney’s side, if you think Ryan is suboptimal as leader because he is a lame duck and want to dump him, that’s a reasonable position. And if you are at a Weekly Standard event (that is where Mulvaney made his comments), it might be easier to say, “Let’s use the speaker vote to beat up on Pelosi,” than, “Ryan has no power and couldn’t manage the firing of a chaplain, let’s get him out already.”
...Let me also try defending Mulvaney’s view of the politics: Wouldn’t a vote in September on House speaker be a huge media story and basically require every Democratic candidate for the House — and to some extent the Senate — to give their views on Pelosi? Isn’t this a net good for Republicans? Isn’t any day/week that Pelosi’s unpopularity is in the news a good day for Republicans? ...I’m not saying it’s going to win the GOP any seats. But the Republicans don’t have a lot to run on.

SILVER: I think it would be a half-day story. ...Whereas … replacing the speaker of the House two months before an election would be a bigger story? What if the vote doesn’t go smoothly?

BACON JR: Good point. Any process that relies on Freedom Caucus cooperation will not be smooth. Imagine what they would ask McCarthy for! “Obamacare repeal votes every day if you are speaker.”

SILVER: Yeah, for me it’s like — if you can do it quietly, sure, go ahead and do it. But if it becomes a big news story, there’s more downside than upside risk for Republicans. ...Also, the GOP agenda is quite unpopular. People forget that Trump’s approval ratings hit some of their lowest points in the midst of the health care debate, and then later in the midst of tax debate, when the GOP Congress was dominating the news. ...And Kevin McCarthy is not exactly a guy who screams, “Here’s a break from the status quo.”
...I think there are probably some consequences to the GOP caucus being in disarray before the midterms. I’m not sure if getting rid of Ryan will lead to more or less disarray, however. But I don’t think this is really an electoral politics story. It’s more a future-of-the-Republican-Party story.
BACON JR: Ryan is, “Let Mueller finish.” McCarthy is basically, “Whatever Trump is for.” And a Freedom Caucus speaker would be, “Fire Rosenstein, we need a second special counsel, go Nunes!”
...And I think that is what we are really debating ahead of 2018. Ryan wants to do conservative policy (reforming the food stamp program, for example). The moderates don’t, because conservative policy is dangerous politically if you are in a swing district. The Freedom Caucus wants to do conservative policy and anti-Mueller/Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein stuff. McCarthy wants to please Trump and become speaker (those goals are related but not necessarily perfectly aligned with one another). He is not particularly policy-oriented, and I don’t mean that as a insult, because being in leadership in Congress is not really a policy role. ...I think McCarthy, if you can believe it, might make the House slightly more Trump-aligned than it is now.
SILVER: What if Rudy Giuliani is right about something for the first time in many years, and Mueller actually does come back with findings before Sept. 1? What if Trump fires Mueller? What if he fires Rosenstein? What if Trump pardons Jared Kushner after Mueller indicts him? ...One could maaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybeee argue that having Ryan still in place as speaker could help the GOP in that instance. He could try to play like he’s the reasonable man in the room, a framing that the media tends to eat up with Ryan, just so the GOP can buy time and see how the midterms go. ...Keep in mind that the next GOP leader will likely face either a Democratic House or a very narrow GOP majority, neither of which is much fun.

MALONE: Do you think if Netflix offered Ryan a development deal he’d leave early?
   1350. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 28, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5680869)

The likely Democratic candidate to challenge Dana will be scientist Hans Keirstead who is an all-around good egg and a very entrepreneurial-minded successful researcher. I think he’ll be a great representative for the district.
   1351. Stormy JE Posted: May 28, 2018 at 09:45 PM (#5680903)
Once again, JE thinks it's a gotcha because part of Trump's treatment of illegal aliens is just a continuation of bad policy under Obama.

He thinks that because Obama did something, liberals will fall in line because Obama.

That's your side, dude.
Look, zenbitz, folks like you couldn't wait to pounce on Trump. Consequently, you failed to realize that much of this #### happened while Obama was POTUS -- during which time hardly anyone spoke out.

So again, it's not my fault your side looks like a sorry band of putzes right now.
   1352. Stormy JE Posted: May 28, 2018 at 09:49 PM (#5680912)
My honest apologies to Jason. I misread who the quote was from.
No worries. You were probably still in shock over another walk-off loss.
   1353. BDC Posted: May 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM (#5680939)
The public: Something seems to be going wrong on y’all’s watch. What are you doing to make things better?
Trump supporter: Well, we’re blaming Obama.
   1354. Stormy JE Posted: May 28, 2018 at 10:03 PM (#5680943)
The public: Something seems to be going wrong on y’all’s watch. What are you doing to make things better?
"The public." Good one, BDC. Now do the MSM.
   1355. Stormy JE Posted: May 28, 2018 at 10:05 PM (#5680947)
Most awesome tweet of the holiday weekend...

James Meek:
I often stop at SEAL Team Six operator Jason Freiwald’s grave, KIA 2008 “somewhere in Afghanistan.” Noticed yesterday a coin on his stone. Flipped it over and realized “Slab” placed it on his teammate’s stone after POTUS decorated him with the Medal of Honor on Thursday. Respect.
   1356. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 28, 2018 at 10:11 PM (#5680954)
The likely Democratic candidate to challenge Dana will be scientist Hans Keirstead who is an all-around good egg and a very entrepreneurial-minded successful researcher. I think he’ll be a great representative for the district.

There seems to be some controversy about Kierstead striking a female graduate student, and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is strongly backing another candidate. As much as Democrats might relish a race against Rohrabacher, they are apparently concerned that the Top Two Primary might shut them out, so they are also running ads against Rohrabacher's main Republican challenger.
   1357. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 28, 2018 at 10:21 PM (#5680962)
BACON JR: Ryan is, “Let Mueller finish.” McCarthy is basically, “Whatever Trump is for.” And a Freedom Caucus speaker would be, “.... we need a second special counsel, go Nunes!”

Hmmmmmm, Ryan sounds just like JE, but then so do McCarthy and the Freedom Caucus speaker. Where is Harry Stevens when we need him?

(Hey, it's just business. Whatever gets you through to your next paycheck.)
   1358. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 28, 2018 at 10:41 PM (#5680993)
(Hey, it's just business. Whatever gets you through to your next paycheck.)

Welcome to politics. They're all like that. Politicians pick a Team and stay on it through virtually every issue come hell or high water. Intellectually honest people find themselves on either side of various issues routinely.
   1359. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: May 28, 2018 at 10:44 PM (#5681001)

There seems to be some controversy about Kierstead striking a female graduate student, and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is strongly backing another candidate. As much as Democrats might relish a race against Rohrabacher, they are apparently concerned that the Top Two Primary might shut them out, so they are also running ads against Rohrabacher's main Republican challenger.

Is there any recent polling for CA 48? I can't seem to find anything on RCP ...
   1360. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 28, 2018 at 10:54 PM (#5681018)
#1356:

Seems like a lot of wasted Democratic effort for a House seat Dana Rohrabacher has already won 13 times in 13 tries by an average margin of 25%. Especially with their Congressional generic ballot advantage shrinking away to a fraction of its insistently specific peak.

Speaking of pre-election angst in the Golden State, any early word on whether the Republican voters are likely to back a crazy Jew-hater for the U.S. Senate in next week's primary? Or will the party's candidate instead be no one at all?
   1361. zenbitz Posted: May 28, 2018 at 11:27 PM (#5681085)
@1351 so I guess we have Trump to thank for upping the rhetoric to the point where the democrats landed on the side of justice.
   1362. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:15 AM (#5681137)
any early word on whether the Republican voters are likely to back a crazy Jew-hater for the U.S. Senate in next week's primary?
Linda Sarsour is running as a Republican?
   1363. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:33 AM (#5681138)
Walt Disney has been unfrozen?
   1364. OCF Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:53 AM (#5681141)
Seems like a lot of wasted Democratic effort for a House seat Dana Rohrabacher has already won 13 times in 13 tries by an average margin of 25%.

It wasn't really the same district for a lot of that. And a number of those previous tries involved non-serious (meaning largely unfunded) opposition candidates. The current district voted for Clinton (narrowly) in the 2016 presidential race. But one big new thing: the fact that Rohrabacher has acted as if he were a Russian stooge was not widely known in the electorate - until now.

The district is something like 56% white, with the rest mostly split between Latino and Asian. It is generally affluent and generally well-educated, as districts go. A significant portion of that Asian population is Vietnamese, who are historically Republican. (Political analogy: Vietnamese : Asian :: Cuban : Hispanic.) What I have no clue of is how the Russian connection plays in the Vietnamese community. Anti-Communism still matters, but of course, Putin's Russia is not Communist. But that was the USSR as Hanoi's global friend back in the day.

Since it's not my district, I'l leave Kierstead versus Rouda as a theoretical question that I don't have to answer.
   1365. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:38 AM (#5681148)
It wasn't really the same district for a lot of that

If I had to make an educated guess, GB knows that and was trolling Clapper ...

Since it's not my district, I'l leave Kierstead versus Rouda as a theoretical question that I don't have to answer.

But it is mine, hence my question in #1359, because I'll easily vote for the Democrat of "lesser" purity if means a head-to-head match up with Rohrabacher in the fall general instead of getting wiped out in the jungle primary.

Because, somehow, I'm pretty sure whoever wins the D primary won't get this "joke" made about them:

A month before Donald Trump clinched the Republican nomination, one of his closest allies in Congress — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy — made a politically explosive assertion in a private conversation on Capitol Hill with his fellow GOP leaders: that Trump could be the beneficiary of payments from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016, exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post.

1366. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 05:14 AM (#5681150)
The best thing about that exchange was that McCarthy’s spokesstooge immediately come out swinging against the Post for publishing such an obvious lie that never happened - how typical of the fake news MSM!

And then they played the recording, at which point it was a deft pivot to “shame on the MSM for not knowing this was a joke with no basis in reality.”
   1367. Lassus Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:18 AM (#5681153)
Linda Sarsour is running as a Republican?

Be careful what you snark for.
   1368. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:50 AM (#5681156)
I submitted a new thread, so watch for it.
   1369. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 08:22 AM (#5681159)
   1370. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:07 AM (#5681166)
Dimwit Mika Brezinski agrees. Today she said that administrations "on both sides" "abandoned their ideals", which led us to Trump. It's like years of R's obstructing Obama, making their primary goal his defeat in 2012, never happened!
   1371. DavidFoss Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:20 AM (#5681177)
"on both sides"

I can't hear this expression without thinking of Trump's post-Charlottesville rant.
   1372. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:31 AM (#5681180)
I can't hear this expression without thinking of Trump's post-Charlottesville rant.

She makes my skin crawl. She and her dumb hubby played footsie with Trump early on in the 2016 campaign. It took them months to figure out that he was a vile con man.

Now, she's still afraid to lay the blame for Trump on the R's. SAD!

edit...see what I did there? R's? Republicans? Or Russians? Hmmmm?
   1373. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5681193)
Rubes and Rubles.
   1374. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5681194)
Thought experiment. Set aside ideology. Question:

Has Trump learned much about the structure and function of government in 17 months on the job? The roles of the three branches; the constraints on presidential power and on executive orders; the courts, the law, the powers of the FBI, the Constitution, the oversight roles of Congress, how a law gets passed, budgets, the 10th Amendment, the levers of power the federal government has over states via funding, etc.

Would an 8th grader still know more than Trump after taking a civics class?

Ray...welcome to the resistance.
   1375. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:07 AM (#5681205)
The new thread is up.

Now go away. :)
Page 14 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 12 13 14

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.