Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 21, 2018

OTP 2018 May 21: President takes British royalty to a baseball game, May 15, 1991

The 65-year-old queen, dressed in a below-the-knee blue and red dress, black gloves and three strands of pearls, entered the Orioles dugout along the third base line. She formed a receiving line with her husband and the president, clad in a navy blazer, and Barbara Bush. The first lady wore a blue and white floral print dress.

While the VIP guests took their positions designated by their names on 3-by-5 cards, the song “Brown-Eyed Girl” played over the stadium’s public-address system. Their images appeared on the video screen in right-center field.

“I’ve been playing baseball for 10 years, and I’m used to a normal atmosphere,” said Cal Ripken Jr., the Orioles shortstop, after exchanging handshakes. “This is a lot different. There’s a lot of excitement.”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 21, 2018 at 07:42 AM | 1375 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baltimore orioles, oakland athletics, off topic, politics, polyamorous wood

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 09:48 PM (#5676969)
Ronald Reagan got paid $2 million to make two speeches in Japan. After him, George HW Bush also got into the speech business. Gerald Ford is considered the first ex-President to really cash in, unless you count Nixon's payday with David Frost. Hard to pin this slushy graft as an idea invented by Bill Clinton. Whatabout everybody.
Reagan did that after his political career had ended. GHWB did it after his political career had ended. While it's true that Bill Clinton's political career had ended, Hillary's had not.

EDIT: Or what Jason said.
   202. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 09:50 PM (#5676974)
Who was paying attention to that? The NYTimes wasn't buying it at the time. Yet everyone (including the NYTimes) was going ape about the Wiener/Abedin laptop. Lock her up! Lock her up!
That's because it was a lame effort.

One last time: There wouldn't have been a Comey October Surprise if McCabe hadn't sat on the Weiner stuff for a good month in an effort to run out the clock.
Russia hacks a couple of Democratic servers
Hey, remind us again why the Bureau never took possession of those servers? Why was Clinton-affiliated Crowdstrike permitted to hold onto them?
   203. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 09:55 PM (#5676980)
Well, hacking the DNC's servers was clearly a crime.
Except those were the DNC's servers, not Hillary's.
   204. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 09:55 PM (#5676981)
A text from an FBI agent in 2016 says “the White House is running this”, referring to the opening of the Trump investigation, and today’s press corps pays it no attention. It’s amazing the press looks the other way. And they wonder why people think they’re biased.
Sigh. More hackery. How the #### does Ari Fleischer know that this random text message was "referring to the opening of the Trump investigation"?
   205. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 09:58 PM (#5676983)
Hey, remind us again why the Bureau never took possession of those servers? Why was Clinton-affiliated Crowdstrike permitted to hold onto them?
Because that's not how computer investigations work. It's not like finding a possible murder weapon at the crime scene and they have to take possession of the weapon to test it for DNA evidence, fingerprints, etc. With a computer, the physical device is unimportant. They image the servers, and get the network logs and such. That is the evidence; the servers themselves have no evidentiary value.

And I don't know what "Clinton affiliated Crowdstrike" means. First I've heard that. I mean, the DNC engaged their services, yes. But it's an outside cybersecurity company, run by an ex-FBI guy.
   206. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 09:59 PM (#5676986)
Eh, never mind. I'm tired.
   207. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:03 PM (#5676991)
Because that's not how computer investigations work. It's not like finding a possible murder weapon at the crime scene and they have to take possession of the weapon to test it for DNA evidence, fingerprints, etc. With a computer, the physical device is unimportant. They image the servers, and get the network logs and such. That is the evidence; the servers themselves have no evidentiary value.
Do we know the forensics work was done? AFAIK, the FBI relied on Crowdstrike to perform the analysis.
   208. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:05 PM (#5676992)
They image the servers, and get the network logs and such. That is the evidence; the servers themselves have no evidentiary value.

Normally, they do that themselves, not wait on the "victim" to designate a financially-connected third-party vendor to provide the data, thereby creating potential chain-of-custody issues that could hamper any actual prosecution.
   209. Count Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:07 PM (#5676997)
The October surprise thing is disingenuous. The FBI not only didn't leak the Trump investigation, they went out of their way to deny it to the NY Times (same story linked in 198).
   210. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:07 PM (#5676998)
Related:

FBI: DNC rebuffed request to examine computer servers:
Washington (CNN)The Democratic National Committee "rebuffed" a request from the FBI to examine its computer services after it was allegedly hacked by Russia during the 2016 election, a senior law enforcement official told CNN Thursday.

"The FBI repeatedly stressed to DNC officials the necessity of obtaining direct access to servers and data, only to be rebuffed until well after the initial compromise had been mitigated," a senior law enforcement official told CNN. "This left the FBI no choice but to rely upon a third party for information. These actions caused significant delays and inhibited the FBI from addressing the intrusion earlier."

This statement is in response to reports that the FBI never asked the DNC for access to the hacked systems.

The DNC told Buzzfeed News that they did not receive a request from the FBI to access their computer servers.

"The DNC had several meetings with representatives of the FBI's Cyber Division and its Washington Field Office, the Department of Justice's National Security Division, and US Attorney's Offices, and it responded to a variety of requests for cooperation, but the FBI never requested access to the DNC's computer servers," Eric Walker, the DNC's deputy communications director, told BuzzFeed News.

The FBI instead relied on the assessment from a third-party security company called CrowdStrIke.
Emphasis mine.

Yup, not suspicious at all...
   211. tshipman Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:10 PM (#5676999)
Only in the land of hacks is using an enterprise grade cybersecurity company a sign of a conspiracy.
   212. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:11 PM (#5677000)
Remember when someone posted this:

Otherwise, any administration, including Trump’s, could initiate an investigation for whatever cooked-up superficial reason it wanted.

WH Says DOJ IG Probe Expanding ‘Based On The Meeting With The President’
   213. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:13 PM (#5677002)
The October surprise thing is disingenuous. The FBI not only didn't leak the Trump investigation, they went out of their way to deny it to the NY Times (same story linked in 198).
The ABGL article you cite asserts the Bureau was indeed investigating the Russia issue, including what the Trump campaign was up to, but had not yet found any direct evidence of criminal activity.

Are you seriously calling that exculpatory?
   214. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:15 PM (#5677004)
Sigh. Harsanyi was referencing a POTUS campaign.

You're pathetic.
   215. Stormy JE Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:18 PM (#5677006)
Only in the land of hacks is using an enterprise grade cybersecurity company a sign of a conspiracy.
This is a typical shippie response whenever he spills marinara sauce all over his talking points.
   216. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:18 PM (#5677007)
Hillary endangered national security!!!!!

The president, who relies on cellphones to reach his friends and millions of Twitter followers, has rebuffed staff efforts to strengthen security around his phone use, according to the administration officials.

The president uses at least two iPhones, according to one of the officials. The phones — one capable only of making calls, the other equipped only with the Twitter app and preloaded with a handful of news sites — are issued by White House Information Technology and the White House Communications Agency, an office staffed by military personnel that oversees White House telecommunications.

While aides have urged the president to swap out the Twitter phone on a monthly basis, Trump has resisted their entreaties, telling them it was “too inconvenient,” the same administration official said.

The president has gone as long as five months without having the phone checked by security experts. It is unclear how often Trump’s call-capable phones, which are essentially used as burner phones, are swapped out.
   217. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:20 PM (#5677011)

Christopher Steele attempted to peddle the dossier/FBI investigation story all over town. Apparently, some folks here think the Democrats October Surprise efforts don't count because they didn't work, and Hillary lost. Interesting way to look at things.
   218. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:25 PM (#5677015)

Well, hacking the DNC's servers was clearly a crime.

Except those were the DNC's servers, not Hillary's.
I mean, yes... but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Why "except"?
   219. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:26 PM (#5677017)
Sigh. Harsanyi was referencing a POTUS campaign.

You're pathetic.

And you're a Trumpkin.

I'm not sure what's more pathetic - you covering your ass with a distinction your +1 didn't make, or that you think it's a legitimate point of principle that "investigation for whatever cooked-up superficial reason it wanted" has some super secret double asterisk to count.

Congrats on your slide into parody.
   220. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:38 PM (#5677021)
Do we know the forensics work was done? AFAIK, the FBI relied on Crowdstrike to perform the analysis.
I've tried to find the answer to that question, and it's not exactly clear. The problem is that reporters don't understand the technical issues so they don't speak precisely, so you can't be sure. But the Washington Times reported that the DNC said that the FBI got the actual server images, not merely the Crowdstrike analysis.

Here's a Verge story from January 2017 (so written before much info was public) that addresses it from a technical perspective rather than a political one. It says that the arrangement in which law enforcement doesn't look at the underlying devices is not uncommon, disagreeing with Buzzfeed's claim that there was something unusual about it.
   221. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:41 PM (#5677029)

They image the servers, and get the network logs and such. That is the evidence; the servers themselves have no evidentiary value.

Normally, they do that themselves, not wait on the "victim" to designate a financially-connected third-party vendor to provide the data, thereby creating potential chain-of-custody issues that could hamper any actual prosecution.
See the Verge story I linked in 220 for a counter view:
The answer might be more than you think. It’s common for the initial forensic analysis to be conducted by outside firms like CrowdStrike, and once that data has been copied, there’s often little need to copy it again. BuzzFeed described the FBI’s lack of interest in the DNC’s server as unusual, citing a number of response firms that preferred not to be named. But that’s not a unanimous opinion, and two experts contacted by The Verge disagreed that it was unusual.

“This is normal practice,” says Matt Tait, founder and CEO of Capital Alpha Security. “In cases like this, the onus for digital forensics is on the third-party contracted by the company that's calling in the incident response team, in this case CrowdStrike.”

It’s part of a long-standing division of labor between private firms and law enforcement, in which incident response firms handle the initial analysis and network cleanup, leaving broader legal questions to law enforcement. That division of labor saves time, but it also protects companies from what could potentially be seen as an invasion of privacy. Turning over a company’s entire network to a law enforcement agency can be an awkward proposition, particularly before the nature of the compromise is clear.
   222. Count Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:48 PM (#5677040)
The ABGL article you cite asserts the Bureau was indeed investigating the Russia issue, including what the Trump campaign was up to, but had not yet found any direct evidence of criminal activity.

Are you seriously calling that exculpatory?

The FBI could have leaked anti-Trump material but instead we got this: "Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia"

YC, you were involved in an argument about the FBI leaking, not the Clinton campaign (or whoever else) trying to circulate a story, and the FBI's actions to favor Trump during the campaign are very relevant to allegations that the investigation was manufactured for political advantage.
   223. Lassus Posted: May 21, 2018 at 11:00 PM (#5677050)
Interesting way to look at things.

When you're a talking bullet-point with no principles or morals, everything else looks interesting.
   224. greenback slays lewks Posted: May 21, 2018 at 11:00 PM (#5677051)
The FBI could have leaked anti-Trump material but instead we got this: "Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia"

They know this, they won't address it, and you know they won't address it. You are on a treadmill. Why?
   225. Lassus Posted: May 21, 2018 at 11:02 PM (#5677053)
And I don't know what "Clinton affiliated Crowdstrike" means.

Oh, I'm pretty sure you do, the same way everyone on the board does.
   226. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 21, 2018 at 11:24 PM (#5677065)
From Twitter:
Gerry Doyle
‏I’ve found it. I’ve found the most American tweet.
Sean T. Collins
This is the gofundme for the man with terminal cancer whose wife had to go back to work to pay for it and was murdered in school the other day.
https://www.gofundme.com/lung-stem-cell-treatment-for-ipf…
   227. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 01:07 AM (#5677080)
I mean, yes... but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Why "except"?
There appears to be uncertainty as to whether the e-mails Mifsud peddled to Papadopoulos were Clinton's e-mails from her server or Clinton-related e-mails from the DNC servers. The point is that it's weak sauce as an excuse to begin a wide-ranging counterintelligence investigation, particularly if it was the former. I'm willing to wager the ABGL story from 30 December is bullshit, little more than an attempt at misdirection.
   228. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 01:10 AM (#5677081)
They know this, they won't address it, and you know they won't address it
It was addressed. You fellas just don't approve of the answer.
   229. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:12 AM (#5677086)

And now Seth Rich is dead. Are you happy, hippies?
   230. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:14 AM (#5677087)
And I don't know what "Clinton affiliated Crowdstrike" means.

Oh, I'm pretty sure you do, the same way everyone on the board does.

Wait until the (((Soros))) connection is revealed.
   231. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:25 AM (#5677089)
You're pathetic.

And you're a Trumpkin.

Ouch.
   232. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:30 AM (#5677090)
Otherwise, any administration, including Trump’s, could initiate an investigation for whatever cooked-up superficial reason it wanted.

Yeah but he hereby demanded it. That’s the appropriate avenue for an emperor.

Of course it took Emperor Fatbody multiple tries to spell “hereby” correctly because he’s an idiot. Like his base.
   233. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:45 AM (#5677106)
It was addressed. You fellas just don't approve of the answer.

My question has never been addressed. I still want you to lay out in broad terms how you think things went down. You know what this shadowy conspiracy you think is all about.

It is funny how the Trumpkin side never actually lays out their side. It is all "This is suspicious ... what about that ... and this other thing seems funny", but there is never ever any coherent "What was going on is Clinton and Obama were ...".

There is a reason for that, of course. It is because there is no coherent narrative that fits the known evidence. Well there is one, of course, but it happens to be some variant of "The Trump campaign found it self in bed with Russia and at best was used as their innocent patsy and at worst actively colluded with them along with a variety of crimes having been committed along the way by various parties."
   234. BDC Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:12 AM (#5677121)
It is because there is no coherent narrative that fits the known evidence

As we've noted here before, the hallmark of all good conspiracy theories. You start looking for anything discrepant, and suddenly JFK is getting shot by 17 separate snipers simultaneously.
   235. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:21 AM (#5677125)
As we've noted here before, the hallmark of all good conspiracy theories. You start looking for anything discrepant, and suddenly JFK is getting shot by 17 separate snipers simultaneously.

Given that hip young Republican icon Ted Cruz openly brags that the Republican Party is the Party of Homer Simpson because of its general stupidity and slovenly disregard for common sense, it might not be too far a leap to get them to admit to also being the party of Dale Gribble.
   236. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:33 AM (#5677129)
nevermind
   237. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:37 AM (#5677132)
As we've noted here before, the hallmark of all good conspiracy theories.

It is much (much, much, much) easier to attack than defend, especially when attacking something as complex as an ongoing investigation. There are many moving pieces, thousands of details, and endless angles for attack. So Jason - and the rest of the GOP establishment - would rather attack the current investigation than put forth a theory of their own.

If they put forth something of their own they would be subject to analysis and attack, but the endless "This looks a bit odd, don't you think" type attacks don't have to be defended in the slightest. They can be put out there and then when refuted you just move on to the next attack. And then the next attack and the next attack, and then eventually come back to the first attack.

Never ever stating any affirmative theory as to what happened means never ever having to defend such a theory. Since there is no even vaguely coherent other theory, obviously that is a non-starter. And besides they have nothing to gain from any alternate theory, they just want the investigation mitigated as much as possible. There is no goal of finding out the truth, nope just attack in order to defend.
   238. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:39 AM (#5677133)
Of course it took Emperor Fatbody multiple tries to spell “hereby” correctly because he’s an idiot. Like his base.

Shows what ewe no!

His servants have a psychotic mold with him so it doesn't antimatter if he spells all you're fanta words rite - they no EXACTLY what he want's.

When the Rat Signal goes out, they immediately slide down the Bot pole (and back up the bot pole and back down the bot pole and then back up the bot pole...) into the Gnat Cave. At wants, they go too work on the Doormat supercomputer to find the answer he once.

Merchandising odors in (the other) hand, they put on their ukulele belts and jump onto the catmobile, sorry - pussymobile....
Nananananana Leader!
   239. Random Transaction Generator Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:47 AM (#5677137)
   240. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:58 AM (#5677139)
True story -

Trump has actually "declared" bankruptcy several dozen times, but he often forgets to hereby declare it so only 6 of them have counted.
   241. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:01 AM (#5677143)

More than any other individuals, Bill and Hillary Clinton are responsible for creating the impression of inevitable corruption that Trump has exploited to get his supporters to shrug off his own corruption.

It's not true that everybody does it. But for years, the message from Clinton surrogates was that everybody does it and we should just get over it. Voters heard that message.

So what happened to all this swamp-draining that was supposed to be going on. From over here, it looks a whole helluva lot swampier.
   242. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:01 AM (#5677144)
Wait until the (((Soros))) connection is revealed.

The Daily Caller, the tellingly favored political publication of a number of regulars at the think factory, has some recent history with anti-semites. Hmm.
   243. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:03 AM (#5677147)

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is denying that he has had conversations about trying to force out Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) with President Trump's budget director, Mick Mulvaney.

Well, there's a shock... (/eyeroll)
   244. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:07 AM (#5677148)
Given that Stefan Halper's role in the Trump investigation has been one of Devin Nunes's and JE's pet obsessions, I naturally assume it's much more molehill than mountain, and therefore haven't been following it too closely. There are only so many hours in the day.

But now that the Post has named him**, I do think it's interesting to see just who this evil man is who's been involved in the Deep State Plot to overturn the election. Apologies if this has been posted before, but anyhoo.....

Who is Stefan A. Halper, the FBI source who assisted the Russia investigation?
Stefan A. Halper, the FBI source who assisted the Russia investigation and is at the center of a standoff between congressional Republicans and the Justice Department, is a well-connected veteran of past GOP administrations who convened senior intelligence officials for seminars at the University of Cambridge in England....

Halper’s connections to the intelligence world have been present throughout his career and at Cambridge, where he ran an intelligence seminar that brought together past and present intelligence officials.

In 2014, Halper, along with Richard Dearlove, the former head of Britain’s foreign intelligence service, sponsored a session of the seminar that drew Michael Flynn, then director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, who would go on to serve as Trump’s first national security adviser.

Halper taught international affairs and American studies at Cambridge from 2001 until 2015, when he stepped down with the honorary title of emeritus senior fellow of the Centre of International Studies, according to a spokesman for the university.

Since 2012, Halper has had contracts with the Defense Department, working for a Pentagon think tank called the Office of Net Assessment. According to federal records, ONA has paid Halper more than $1 million for research and development in the social sciences and humanities.

The funds did not go solely to Halper, who hired other academics and experts to conduct research and prepare reports, according to U.S. government officials.

“He thinks well. He writes critically. And he knows a lot of people whose insights he can tap for us as well,” one U.S. government official said.

Halper’s first wife was the daughter of the prominent former CIA analyst Ray S. Cline, who worked alongside President John F. Kennedy during the Cuban missile crisis in 1962 and mentored Halper, introducing him to associates in the intelligence and political worlds, according to numerous people familiar with their relationship.

After earning his doctorate from the University of Oxford in 1971, Halper quickly ascended, serving on the White House domestic policy council for President Richard M. Nixon and then in the Office of Management and Budget before being tapped as an assistant to President Gerald Ford’s chief of staff. According to a document from Ford’s presidential library, part of Halper’s job was assessing domestic political candidates, such as Jimmy Carter, for high-ranking staffers in the West Wing.

Halper later worked for Sen. William Roth (R-Del.) before joining the George H.W. Bush campaign in 1980 as national policy development director and then working for the Reagan-Bush campaign as national director of policy coordination. In the Reagan administration, he served as deputy assistant secretary of state for politico-military affairs, according to his biography.

After the 1980 race, Halper was caught up in a scandal concerning alleged political spying. Aides to Reagan, including Halper, were accused of having spied on Carter’s campaign and obtaining private documents that Carter was using to prepare for a debate. Some Reagan White House officials later alleged that Halper had used former CIA agents to run an operation against Carter. Halper called the reports at the time “absolutely false” and has long denied the accusations.

Between 2000 and 2001, Halper contributed more than $85,000 to George W. Bush’s first presidential bid and the Republican National Committee, according to campaign finance records. Most friends describe him as a moderate Republican who is hawkish on China and deeply committed to U.S. institutions, having worked for years inside and around the federal government.

Late in his career, Halper emerged as a vocal critic of President George W. Bush’s interventionist foreign policy. During classes at Cambridge, he often raised questions about Bush’s decisions and embraced a traditional Republican approach to foreign policy that emphasized long-standing Western alliances and limited foreign intervention, as witnessed by a Post reporter who studied under Halper in 2009. A book he co-wrote with Jonathan Clarke, “America Alone: The Neo-Conservatives and the Global Order,” was critical of the Bush administration’s approach to the Iraq War.

Halper has spent considerable time focused on China over the past decade, publishing “The Beijing Consensus: Legitimizing Authoritarianism in our Time” in 2010 that warned of China’s attempts to build an economic and industrial presence in Africa and elsewhere as a threat to global stability.

“Stef” — as Halper is called by people who know him — was also widely known at Cambridge as a gregarious gatherer of students and academics at his apartment in the city, along with his wife. He frequently hosted dinners with visiting students and scholars from around the world where — over wine and cheese from the local market — he would share colorful stories about his work for American presidents and the U.S. government and stir debates about the issues of the day.

No mention of any blood ties to Sidney Blumenthal or Huma Abedin, but I'm sure that one of JE's sources will eventually get around to that.

** On the back page of the front section of the print edition, though on their front page online
   245. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:07 AM (#5677149)
A nice self-own from a writer for The Federalist, another favored political publication of some of the sane ones here. Very telling.
   246. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:18 AM (#5677157)
Old and Busted: It's treason to even speculate Halper might have been the informant. TREASON!!!

New and Hot: So dear reader, in addition to passing along his entire life story, let me know clue you into Halper's organic food preferences...
   247. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:20 AM (#5677158)

Apparently, some folks here think the Democrats October Surprise efforts don't count because they didn't work, and Hillary lost.

Nobody likes a sore winner, Clap...
   248. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5677161)
There are many moving pieces, thousands of details, and endless angles for attack. So Jason - and the rest of the GOP establishment - would rather attack the current investigation than put forth a theory of their own.
No, not actually. There are three investigations, and they keep attacking the oldest one, and sometimes the second one, and then triumphantly yelling “Aha!” about the current one.

(Specifically: Hillary’s server, the FBI investigation of the Trump campaign, and now Mueller’s investigation.)

249. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:24 AM (#5677162)
Everybody should thank Kanye West for giving hip young Republicans license to finally start working the coolness of 20-years ago Will Smith into their vernacular.
   250. strong silence Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:28 AM (#5677167)
zonk, why did you move to Canada?
   251. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:28 AM (#5677169)

Covfefe!
   252. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:34 AM (#5677174)

New and Hot: So dear reader, in addition to passing along his entire life story, let me know clue you into Halper's organic food preferences...

Conveniently stepping over the fact that he's had the Rs' crap smeared all over him since the early '70s...
   253. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:36 AM (#5677177)
No, not actually. There are three investigations, and they keep attacking the oldest one, and sometimes the second one, and then triumphantly yelling “Aha!” about the current one.

(Specifically: Hillary’s server, the FBI investigation of the Trump campaign, and now Mueller’s investigation.)

Fair enough. I was mostly talking about the second and third one (which I did conflate), but yeah they keep grabbing stuff from the past and re-purposing it, sort of like how they are the only ones who still care deeply and fervently about the dossier. Meanwhile everyone else has moved on to developments that are much more recent and applicable to now, but man they have their chew toy.
   254. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5677179)
zonk, why did you move to Canada?

Because in a highly polarized environment, I thought it was dangerous to have a belligerent leader who doesn't possess basic qualities of human empathy or concerns beyond his own beatification and as such, worried that any number of incidents could spiral unrest out of control... especially considering sad guy likes to throw gasoline onto conflagrations rather than de-escalate them, as a proper President - of either party - should.

Weighing the three pilars of Trumpism - incompetence, malevolence, and ridiculousness - I vastly underestimated the proportion of the third... but - change is good and an interesting chapter to the book of Zonk got added... though, truth be told - other than still being flummoxed by Celsius and kilometers - it was really just a lot more air travel in a city that felt a lot like half a dozen other cities in eastern North America.

255. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:41 AM (#5677181)
My question has never been addressed. I still want you to lay out in broad terms how you think things went down. You know what this shadowy conspiracy you think is all about.

There is a reason for that, of course. It is because there is no coherent narrative that fits the known evidence. Well there is one, of course, but it happens to be some variant of "The Trump campaign found it self in bed with Russia and at best was used as their innocent patsy and at worst actively colluded with them along with a variety of crimes having been committed along the way by various parties."
Except it's been addressed it before. While no one here has claimed every round peg fits neatly into a hole -- the picture is still incomplete -- here's what may be said with confidence:

(EDIT: You already know my view of the server investigation. It was tanked, pure and simple. And at the time Comey spoke to reporters on 5 July 2016, I expressed a modicum of sympathy for him, much like I had done after he claimed there was nothing to see here WRT the IRS scandal. Hillary was almost certainly going to win and this was not the hill to die on, especially someone with such a bright and wide self-preservation streak.)

Back in 2015-16, Trump and his pals were pushing mostly pro-Russia policies and some related comments from him were positively cringeworthy. Team Hillary sought to take advantage of this seeming low-hanging fruit through its work with Fusion GPS. Whether Steele deliberately sexed up his dossier or merely got played by Russian intelligence remains unclear, although with each passing day the former appears more likely. What is nearly certain, however, is that the dossier is ####.

Either in tandem with Team Clinton or on its own, the Obama DoJ and the Bureau may have manufactured its own intel operation against the Trump campaign, and later relied on the dossier's contents to secure themselves a FISA warrant that had up until then eluded them. (IIRC, a judge had rejected their applications -- twice.)

After Trump won, both the outgoing administration, including their allies within the Bureau, teamed up with Team Clinton, to sabotage the incoming/new administration. Frankly, Yates' talk of the Logan Act is all the evidence one needs to know their intentions, but the leaks to Ignatius and CNN are further proof that these folks were playing dirty.

I'm looking forward to reading what's inside Horowitz's reports and learning more.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong about much of this, but there are way too many coincidences for me to think that. And at this point, very little would surprise me going the other way, including yes, learning that there was tampering of the 302 used in the Flynn case.

I hope this updated answer satisfies your curiosity, Mouse.
   256. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5677182)
re:254

Still anticipating DJT to go full-on Caligula and declare himself a god.
   257. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:43 AM (#5677184)
it was really just a lot more air travel in a city that felt a lot like half a dozen other cities in eastern North America.

And it gave some proud boys here the opportunity to smugly bring it up every week, thinking they were dunking on you.
   258. strong silence Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5677185)
I'm glad that you had the experience. I hope you return and channel your energy and efforts to defeating Trump. Have you considered living In a red state where your vote and opinions might make a bigger difference?
   259. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:48 AM (#5677186)
This still isn't normal.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Environmental Protection Agency is barring The Associated Press, CNN and the environmental-focused news organization E&E from a national summit on harmful water contaminants.

Guards barred an AP reporter from passing through a security checkpoint inside the building. When the reporter asked to speak to an EPA public-affairs person, the security guards grabbed the reporter by the shoulders and shoved her forcibly out of the EPA building.
   260. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:50 AM (#5677188)
Still anticipating DJT to go full-on Caligula and declare himself a god.
Just yesterday, I was looking at the photo of Beltran after the backward-K in the 2006 NLCS. In the background, we see Trump looking like a gold tie-wearing Zeus, ready to shove a lightning bolt up someone's ass.
   261. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:50 AM (#5677189)

Old and Busted: It's treason to even speculate Halper might have been the informant. TREASON!!!

Not sure where that's coming from, since this was the first time I've even weighed in on the Halper outing angle. That's your obsession, not mine.

And the minor fact that for his entire career he's been associated exclusively with Republicans.** But I'm sure that if he'd worked for Clinton and Obama you'd have deemed that to be irrelevant.

** Go on, JE, take the final plunge. Tell us that those Republican presidents he worked for (Nixon, Ford, Reagan) or raised money for (G.W. Bush), were RINOs in service to the Deep State.
   262. strong silence Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5677190)
There certainly is reason to mistrust the FBI. History shows this. If you think the FBI is easily politicized then what is your recommendation, JE? Does it need to be fixed?
   263. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:53 AM (#5677191)
#255 - I appreciate the answer. Sadly I have work right now (stupid work), but none of that says anything about the Mueller investigation specifically, so I guess you are OK with that investigation. I mean it sounds like it will all come out, so I am not sure where your anxiety is coming from.
   264. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:02 AM (#5677196)
I'm glad that you had the experience. I hope you return and channel your energy and efforts to defeating Trump. Have you considered living In a red state where your vote and opinions might make a bigger difference?

In fact, my ex-pat status ends in a couple days... though, it's back to Chicago and this case, the impetus was work. They were decidedly accommodating in making the move possible - though, I worked remotely a lot anyway. However, I was 'offered' some new responsibilities - and while it wasn't point-blank demanded, it was 'strongly suggested'/implied that the task would benefit from more face time with the team I'll be running.

I did - to some extent - look at Wisconsin, but solely from the perspective of buying a house (our HQ is in the north suburbs - basically equidistant between Chicago and Kenosha/even Racine)... but the truth is that I miss Chicago.
   265. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:06 AM (#5677199)
I miss Chicago.

+1
   266. McCoy Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:14 AM (#5677202)
Believe me when I say that despite the crime and higher taxes Chicago is a far better option than living in Kenosha/Racine. I guess the only way K/R beats Chicago is if you have kids and the northern Illinois suburbs are too pricey in which case you settle into a miserable existence while your kids go to school and then get the hell out of there once they go to college.
   267. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5677205)
@ilangoldenberg:
1. As someone who was part of diplomatic talks, this story on how Trump team screwed up China negotiations is a textbook case of nearly EVERY SINGLE THING you should NOT do. Bodes badly for North Korea summit.

Let’s pick it apart step by grueling step

2. Before the talks. Fail to prepare. Don’t have sufficient deliberations to come to a common negotiating position as a team. This is where you need an engaged POTUS to listen to the disagreements among the team & set guidance. Of course Trump won’t do that

3. During the talks. Because you failed to prepare have “profanity laced shouting matches” amongst yourselves in front of the Chinese encouraging them to exploit splits in the US team

4. Have the President publicly tweet sensitive concessions he plans to make causing a backlash in Congress that shuts down those options before they’ve even been offered or negotiated. now you’ve taken away your negotiating space

5. Also leak China’s concession to the press causing them to have to deny the concessions publicly and forcing the Chinese to & take a harder line. Now you’ve taken away your counterpart’s negotiating space

6. After the talks fail have various members of the team come out with different positions that publicly criticize the results of the negotiations and each other. Because that sends a good signal before the next negotiating round

7. Top it off with a front page NY Times story where clearly many of the US negotiators disparaged each other to the press. Because I’m sure they’ll now work really well as a team going forward.

8. Good luck with the North Korea summit. Glad we got rid of the JCPOA to negotiate a better deal. And of course we’ll get the ultimate deal on Israel-Palestine. God help us all

A late additional point. Diplomatic negotiations on tough issues are really really hard. Even without all these basic unforced errors, likelihood of success is often low. With these errors it’s impossible
   268. Traderdave Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5677210)
Believe me when I say that despite the crime and higher taxes Chicago is a far better option than living in Kenosha/Racine. I guess the only way K/R beats Chicago is if you have kids and the northern Illinois suburbs are too pricey in which case you settle into a miserable existence while your kids go to school and then get the hell out of there once they go to college.

My wife's employer was recently bought out by a well known outfit from Racine. It's unlikely she'll be offered a transfer, thank god.
   269. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:24 AM (#5677214)
You already know my view of the server investigation. It was tanked, pure and simple.

Maybe SBB didn't disappear after all.

In the background, we see Trump looking like a gold tie-wearing Zeus, ready to shove a lightning bolt up someone's ass.

It worked, he got you out of it.
   270. Traderdave Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:27 AM (#5677217)

I was wondering where he's been. Did he declare his exit or just ghost away?
   271. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5677218)

Oh, no doubt.

The far north suburbs are McMansion land - I suppose you've got Mr T, but I am not a big fan of suburbs. Kenosha, at least, has some character - the Mars Cheese Castle, the Bratstop... I'd take a sleepy midwestern town over a suburb.

But yes, I'll take Chicago over either of them.
   272. McCoy Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5677220)
I couldn't tell you what they would go for nowadays but back in the day you could buy an historic turn of the 20th century dirt cheap and even large tracts of lakefront property for dirt cheap in Racine. The homes would probably be dilapidated but they certainly had style. I lived in home that had parquet flooring that the founder of Johnson Wax installed before he went into the wax business. A bank would buy the flooring from my Uncle and install it in their bank in town. The backyard still had a carriage garage from back in the era before cars. The house needed to be gutted but it was dirt chip and I think he flipped it about 10 years later for a tidy profit and I'm sure that guy flipped again for a tidy profit 10 years later as well.
   273. McCoy Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:30 AM (#5677221)
Kenosha, at least, has some character - the Mars Cheese Castle, the Bratstop... I'd take a sleepy midwestern town over a suburb.

Well, those are all highway off ramp shops and while I know a lot of construction of was happening or planned near the highway by the time I left the heart of Kenosha is by the lake and that is where most Kenoshans spend their time.
   274. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:31 AM (#5677223)

I think he signed up for one of those time travel deals, and he's now happily living in 1979. Be nice if he'd just stay there.
   275. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5677225)
Did he declare his exit or just ghost away?

Dancing like a monkey is exhausting. He needs a rest, at the spa, in the hot springs, where he and some like minded individuals can enjoy a hot soak while grooming each other.
   276. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5677226)
I couldn't tell you what they would go for nowadays but back in the day you could buy an historic turn of the 20th century dirt cheap and even large tracts of lakefront property for dirt cheap in Racine. The homes would probably be dilapidated but they certainly had style. I lived in home that had parquet flooring that the founder of Johnson Wax installed before he went into the wax business. A bank would buy the flooring from my Uncle and install it in their bank in town. The backyard still had a carriage garage from back in the era before cars. The house needed to be gutted but it was dirt chip and I think he flipped it about 10 years later for a tidy profit and I'm sure that guy flipped again for a tidy profit 10 years later as well.

The price of a moderate - but not exceptional - Lakeview one bedroom condo... fixer-uppers even less.

I have a college buddy in Racine and he was quite eager, too eager, to show me around. Though I took a pass more than a month ago, he still occasionally e-mails me new listings.

I will admit, were I married with kids - I think I might have been interested. I need to get myself back in the FIB mindset, I guess, but I like Wisconsin.
   277. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:40 AM (#5677228)
Look fellas, I'm sure it's just an urban legend... but how about we not chance the whole 'say his name three times' thing.
   278. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5677231)
I see somebody learned her lesson from the Trumnpgue lashing...

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen on Tuesday pushed back against a conclusion reached by the intelligence community and the Senate Intelligence Committee — that Russia favored President Donald Trump in its influence campaign during the 2016 election.

Speaking to reporters at a House briefing on election security, Nielsen was asked about the 2017 intelligence community report that found Putin not only “ordered an influence campaign” aimed at the 2016 presidential election, but also that Putin had a “clear preference” for Trump in those meddling efforts. She claimed that she hadn’t seen the conclusion, which was made available to the public last year.

“I do not believe that I’ve seen that conclusion,” Nielsen told reporters. “That the specific intent was to help President Trump win. I’m not aware of that. But I do generally have no reason to doubt any intelligence assessment.”
   279. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:43 AM (#5677232)
Look fellas, I'm sure it's just an urban legend... but how about we not chance the whole 'say his name three times' thing.

It's a real thing too. I stared into a mirror at midnight and said "Candyman, Candyman, Candyman" and Sammy Davis Jr appeared with a plate full of gefilte fish.
   280. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5677238)
I have a pile of extended family in Racine and the surrounding area, and I on and off grew up in the Lincolnshire/Mundelein far northern Chicago suburbs (and my mom and one sister live in that area now). I love Chicago, but never lived in the city proper, sadly. There are many places to stay along that stretch of land, pretty much anything you could want - so yeah all about your stage of life I suppose.

Welcome back to the US (soon) zonk.
   281. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5677240)

Not sure where that's coming from, since this was the first time I've even weighed in on the Halper outing angle. That's your obsession, not mine.

By your own admission (#244), you "haven't been following it [the Halper story] too closely", so perhaps that's an excuse for the cluelessness. Before leaking every last detail about Halper that removed any and all doubt that he was the FBI informant who spied on the Trump campaign, the current or former FBI/DoJ sources were claiming that the informant was some kind of super-secret, covert undercover operative engaged in such sensitive matters that his life and other's would be endangered if his identity was disclosed, even to Congress. That was untrue. Halper had some association with the CIA, but not of that nature. He didn't overthrow foreign governments, just pontificated on the state of the world. You might ask why folks lied about that.
   282. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5677243)

What about Morty? I'm a bit concerned, as I know he's had some pretty strenuous health problems at times. Last visit shows as 4/29.
   283. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:53 AM (#5677247)
Coincidences are coincidental...

The day after convicted felon and RNC Finance chair Elliot Broidy made his first Michael Cohen hush payment, he got a private audience with Trump.

Very coincidental coincidence...
   284. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:01 PM (#5677252)
Back in 2015-16, Trump and his pals were pushing mostly pro-Russia policies and some related comments from him were positively cringeworthy. Team Hillary sought to take advantage of this seeming low-hanging fruit through its work with Fusion GPS. Whether Steele deliberately sexed up his dossier or merely got played by Russian intelligence remains unclear, although with each passing day the former appears more likely. What is nearly certain, however, is that the dossier is ####.

Meh. Some of it is right and some likely nonsense. I don't think it matters at this point much either way.

Either in tandem with Team Clinton or on its own, the Obama DoJ and the Bureau may have manufactured its own intel operation against the Trump campaign, and later relied on the dossier's contents to secure themselves a FISA warrant that had up until then eluded them. (IIRC, a judge had rejected their applications -- twice.)

This is pure wish-casting/wild speculation. The fact is you don't know one way or another, so sure they "may have" done any number of things, or they may not have. Well I object to your characterization of it as an "intel operation against the Trump campaign". Because of course what you are speculating there is about intent. You don't know one way or another on the facts (what buttressed the FISA application), but sure speculate wildly on the motivation behind getting the FISA warrants and just assert something dire sounding I guess.

After Trump won, both the outgoing administration, including their allies within the Bureau, teamed up with Team Clinton, to sabotage the incoming/new administration. Frankly, Yates' talk of the Logan Act is all the evidence one needs to know their intentions, but the leaks to Ignatius and CNN are further proof that these folks were playing dirty.

Again, this is nonsense with nothing resembling proof. And of course like most of what you are asserting really has nothing to do with anything Mueller might find. If there was a mysterious FBI/Clinton/Obama conspiracy to sabotage the Trump campaign that would be bad and I would support investigating, indicting and so forth, but it really really doesn't do anything to mitigate what the Trump campaign and/or Trump administration did or did not do.

You seem to argue if there is bad actors on each side then both sides get a pass. I would suggest that if there are bad actors on both sides then let us expose ALL the bad actors and go after them all.

I'm looking forward to reading what's inside Horowitz's reports and learning more.

Sure. I am not holding my breath, but years and years of ridiculous Clinton/Obama investigations have inured me to another one. Have at, neither Clinton (either) nor Obama have any real electoral future, so have a good time.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong about much of this, but there are way too many coincidences for me to think that. And at this point, very little would surprise me going the other way, including yes, learning that there was tampering of the 302 used in the Flynn case.

My point is you are obsessing over the mote in your neighbors eye and ignoring the beam in your own. Even worse you are suggesting that mote means that beam is irrelevant and in fact couldn't possibly even exist.
   285. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:02 PM (#5677253)

By your own admission (#244), you "haven't been following it [the Halper story] too closely", so perhaps that's an excuse for the cluelessness. Before leaking every last detail about Halper that removed any and all doubt that he was the FBI informant who spied on the Trump campaign, the current or former FBI/DoJ sources were claiming that the informant was some kind of super-secret, covert undercover operative engaged in such sensitive matters that his life and other's would be endangered if his identity was disclosed, even to Congress. That was untrue. Halper had some association with the CIA, but not of that nature. He didn't overthrow foreign governments, just pontificated on the state of the world. You might ask why folks lied about that.

David and others have already responded to that narrative.

New and Hot: So dear reader, in addition to passing along his entire life story, let me know clue you into Halper's organic food preferences..
And the minor fact that for his entire career he's been associated exclusively with Republicans.** But I'm sure that if he'd worked for Clinton and Obama you'd have deemed that to be irrelevant.

** Go on, JE Clapper, take the final plunge. Tell us that those Republican presidents he worked for (Nixon, Ford, Reagan) or raised money for (G.W. Bush), were RINOs in service to the Deep State.

But maybe you can respond to this. You already had one opportunity above, but I'm always willing to give you a second chance.
   286. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5677254)

Behold as Clapper manages to simultaneously cast the Trump spy as both a silly fluffer AND the linchpin of his grand mother of all conspiracies.

Why, if I didn't know any better - I would say that people and events take on an importance that is wholly and precisely correlated with whether they're a black mark against Trump or, a black mark against the anti-Trumps.

They call it Grab Em by the Schrödinger --

Other examples include a former campaign coffee fetcher who was simultaneously a counter-intelligence superhero and cooked-up reasons for DOJ investigations being simultaneously a grave danger to the Republic AND wholly necessary and within the President's purview.
   287. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:14 PM (#5677263)
Guards barred an AP reporter from passing through a security checkpoint inside the building. When the reporter asked to speak to an EPA public-affairs person, the security guards grabbed the reporter by the shoulders and shoved her forcibly out of the EPA building.

Authoritarians hate science. The Soviet Union prohibited discussion of Darwinian evolutionary theory in favor of Lysenkoism which was more consistent with their political worldview. Republicans do the same every opportunity they get, because their political philosophy eschews data and serious analysis. "Feels before reals," they might say, genuflecting to their fat, bald, spray-tanned anti-vaxxer leader.
   288. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5677270)
Authoritarians hate science. The Soviet Union prohibited discussion of Darwinian evolutionary theory in favor of Lysenkoism which was more consistent with their political worldview. Republicans do the same every opportunity they get, because their political philosophy eschews data and serious analysis. "Feels before reals," they might say, genuflecting to their fat, bald, spray-tanned anti-vaxxer leader.

Hell, if Trofim Lysenko were alive today, he'd probably be Trump's Science Advisor.
   289. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:30 PM (#5677271)

David and others have already responded to that narrative.

David contended that the earlier, somewhat speculative IMHO, articles suggesting that Halper might be the FBI informant justified the leaking & publishing of detailed information that removed any and all doubt that was the case. However, I don't believe he has addressed the fact that Halper was not a super-secret covert undercover operative, which had been suggested as grounds for withholding his identity and other information from Congress.

And the minor fact that for his entire career he's been associated exclusively with Republicans.

Obviously, you think that is dispositive. Others, not so much.
   290. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM (#5677273)

Others think failure to slide down the bot pole on command makes one a traitor to the Dear Leader.
   291. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:35 PM (#5677274)
Just yesterday, I was looking at the photo of Beltran after the backward-K in the 2006 NLCS. In the background, we see Trump looking like a gold tie-wearing Zeus, ready to shove a lightning bolt up someone's ass.

I've seen that.
   292. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5677278)
So, what happened after the wide, bipartisan support for the Ginsburg & Breyer confirmations? Senate Democrats returned the favor by breaking with tradition and voting against John Roberts in large numbers (78-22 for the full Senate)

Bryer gets 80 votes and it's "bipartisan support." Roberts gets 78 and it's Evil Democratic Partisanship.

Fcvk you, you simpering cnvt.
   293. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:43 PM (#5677282)
And the minor fact that for his entire career he's been associated exclusively with Republicans.

And yet the fact that the wife of Andrew McCabe ran for state senate in Virginia as a Democrat is constantly cited as evidence that The Fix was in against Trump. I guess some dispositives are more equal than others.
   294. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5677283)
While aides have urged the president to swap out the Twitter phone on a monthly basis, Trump has resisted their entreaties, telling them it was “too inconvenient,” the same administration official said.

It's so embarrassing when he has to "who dis" every time Vlad texts new instructions.
   295. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:48 PM (#5677288)
I just had a mind-shattering thought...

What if the decision to go with a decidedly NON-James Bondian spy to infiltrate the Trump campaign and administration was all just CYA?

Oh dear...
   296. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:53 PM (#5677290)

It's thet-there fancypants book-learnin' agin! What good does 'at do? Unh-hunh.

You egg-heads better gitcher noses outta them books and do some REAL work...
   297. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5677292)
Story gaining a bit of ground on the tubes:

* Harley Davidson shuts plant in York PA, 350 layoffs now, more later
* Pockets cash on stock buyback after Trump tax cuts
* Announces move of work done in York plant to new facility in Bangkok Thailand to get around costs of new steel tariffs
   298. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 01:06 PM (#5677293)
(EDIT: You already know my view of the server investigation. It was tanked, pure and simple. And at the time Comey spoke to reporters on 5 July 2016, I expressed a modicum of sympathy for him, much like I had done after he claimed there was nothing to see here WRT the IRS scandal. Hillary was almost certainly going to win and this was not the hill to die on, especially someone with such a bright and wide self-preservation streak.)
I'm not sure what "tanked" means. I mean, I know what the word means; I'm not sure what the argument is. I do not think it was pursued with the maximum possible zealousness, with an eye towards securing a conviction no matter what. I think that once they determined that (a) there weren't thousands of highly classified documents on the server on a daily basis; (b) there was no obvious smoking gun in which Hillary told someone, \"#### it; I don't care about classification"; and (c) there was no obstruction of justice; they decided that the case didn't rise to the level of prosecutionworthiness. It's the sort of case for which there would have been administrative sanctions -- or possibly even termination -- if she were a government employee, but not a crime. And once they came to that conclusion, they crossed their Is and dotted their Ts, but they didn't say, "We're going to do what we have to in order to get her." But I don't think that constitutes tanking.
   299. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 22, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5677296)
Story gaining a bit of ground on the tubes:

* Harley Davidson shuts plant in York PA, 350 layoffs now, more later
* Pockets cash on stock buyback after Trump tax cuts
* Announces move of work done in York plant to new facility in Bangkok Thailand to get around costs of new steel tariffs

Link, please. I'm not finding anything by googling other than a 4 month old story.
   300. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5677299)
Flippers.
Page 3 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Randy Jones
for his generous support.