Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 21, 2018

OTP 2018 May 21: President takes British royalty to a baseball game, May 15, 1991

The 65-year-old queen, dressed in a below-the-knee blue and red dress, black gloves and three strands of pearls, entered the Orioles dugout along the third base line. She formed a receiving line with her husband and the president, clad in a navy blazer, and Barbara Bush. The first lady wore a blue and white floral print dress.

While the VIP guests took their positions designated by their names on 3-by-5 cards, the song “Brown-Eyed Girl” played over the stadium’s public-address system. Their images appeared on the video screen in right-center field.

“I’ve been playing baseball for 10 years, and I’m used to a normal atmosphere,” said Cal Ripken Jr., the Orioles shortstop, after exchanging handshakes. “This is a lot different. There’s a lot of excitement.”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 21, 2018 at 07:42 AM | 1375 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baltimore orioles, oakland athletics, off topic, politics, polyamorous wood

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5677441)
The Manafort raid was on July 26, 2017, and sunrise in Washington D.C. that day was 6:04 a.m.
   402. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5677442)
Plausible speculations throughout this 538 piece: What Happens If Republicans Keep Control Of The House And Senate?

From the link in #386:
If Republicans win the House this fall, I expect Democrats on the Hill will force Pelosi out as leader after pinning at least some of the blame for their defeat on her (or just deciding that they need someone new). “It will be like 2016 for Democrats. They will think they lost an election they should have won,” said Seth Masket, a University of Denver political scientist who is working on a book about the post-2016 Democratic Party. “There would be enormous anger directed at Pelosi.”

But I don’t think she would be alone in being deposed. The No. 2 and No. 3 Democrats on the Hill (Steny Hoyer of Maryland and James Clyburn of South Carolina) are basically the same age as the 78-year-old Pelosi (Hoyer is 78, Clyburn 77) and considered part of the old guard by some younger Democrats. It’s more likely that Hoyer and Clyburn will be pushed out of leadership completely than that one of them will be asked to replace Pelosi and lead the party into the 2020 elections. Some party activists are dissatisfied with the Democratic National Committee too, and I’m not sure DNC Chairman Tom Perez can survive a major Democratic underperformance this fall either.

Seems like the only way for the Dems to get rid of Nancy Pelosi and the geriatric Democratic House leadership team - they are all older than Andy - is for the GOP to retain their majority in the House of Representatives. That must be what is fueling the GOP rise in the Generic Congressional Ballot polls, eh?
   403. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5677447)
FFS

He is what I've told you he has become.
   404. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:28 PM (#5677448)
Seems like the only way to get rid of Pelosi and the geriatric Democratic House leadership team

That dick you keep sucking is 71, 'holster.
   405. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5677449)
Sunrise in Alexandria, Virginia is at 6:04 am on July 26th, according to TimeAndDate.com.

Therefore "just after 6 am" could, possibly, be predawn.
Nope! Believe it or not, I already checked that. But dawn is technically defined as starting before sunrise. E.g.
dawn
dôn,dän/Submit
noun
the first appearance of light in the sky before sunrise.
Or here's the opening paragraph of Wikipedia:
Dawn, from an Old English verb dagian: "to become day", is the time that marks the beginning of twilight before sunrise. It is recognized by the appearance of indirect sunlight being scattered in the atmosphere, when the centre of the Sun's disc reaches 18° below the horizon.[1] This dawn twilight period will last until sunrise (when the Sun's upper limb breaks the horizon), as the diffused light becomes direct sunlight.

EDIT: To be precise:
5:34 AM
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 (EDT)
Dawn in Alexandria, VA

EDIT #2: I really feel like I deserve some sort of extra pedantry award, here.
   406. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:40 PM (#5677456)
I was just about to present you with one, David, well done.

Y'all should have know dawn wasn't sunrise anyhow, though.
   407. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5677457)
At least two networks are reporting that Democrats will be excluded from the Department of Justice classified info briefing this Thursday, because "they aren't the ones who requested it."
   408. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5677461)
Applause for #405.
   409. McCoy Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5677462)

you're already in the HoF. What more do you want?
   410. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5677463)

I bow before your demonstrated-ly superior pedantery. Congratulations!

Also, I had no idea that there was a difference between dawn and sunrise. My life will never be the same.
   411. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5677465)
FFS
Yes, Lassus, Manafort worked alongside (gasp!) Democrats. And considering McCain's reported role in transmitting the dossier, it's quite ironic that a senior advisor from his POTUS campaign was also mixed up in this ####.
   412. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5677469)
At least two networks are reporting that Democrats will be excluded from the Department of Justice classified info briefing this Thursday, because "they aren't the ones who requested it."

Boy, I can't wait to hear Clapper and Jason on this one (if it happens).
   413. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5677470)
I really don't think you are being a pedant (in this one instance, to be pedantic). Dawn is when it starts to get light, not when the sun rises. Same as dusk versus sunset. They're really fundamentally two different things. (Or, to be pedantic, two sets of different things!)
   414. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5677474)
Boy, I can't wait to hear Clapper and Jason on this one (if it happens).
Did they ask to attend? Did they remember to open up the Paperless Post?
   415. zenbitz Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5677476)
but only because some dude with an (R) after his name resides in the White House.

Do you really think if President Blagovich's campaign was getting investigated for corruption and foreign influence, the liberals here would be defending him? Once again, you accuse others of what only you and yours (like YC) are guilty of.
   416. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5677478)
5:34 AM
Wednesday, July 26, 2017 (EDT)
Dawn in Alexandria, VA

I was out on my bike before 6:00 in Kensignton yesterday morning, and there was plenty of light. Any jackboots approaching the house would've been easily visible from a distance.
   417. zenbitz Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5677483)
(And yes, I realize this is an utterly unimportant issue in the grand scheme of things. So sue me.)

Man, excessive pedantry can't be actionable, can it? If it is, it would explain why you became a lawyer.
   418. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5677485)

Hey, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" was the third and best of the trilogy. So it's not out of the question that memo master Devin Nunes could yet concoct a threequel that isn't another humiliating botch.
   419. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5677486)
@billkristol:
This White House Military Office coin (prematurely) commemorating the planned Trump-Kim Jong Un meeting captures the Trump presidency's spirit of dime-store authoritarianism--at once farcical and creepy, belligerently un-dignified and un-republican. And, yes, deeply un-American.
   420. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5677487)
Do you really think if President Blagovich's campaign was getting investigated for corruption and foreign influence, the liberals here would be defending him? Once again, you accuse others of what only you and yours (like YC) are guilty of.
To be clear, I accused Sammy, the guy who for eight years never met a cop he didn't bad-mouth, of suddenly kissing law enforcement's ass because there's a Republican in the White House.
   421. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5677489)

Dialing back to 2006 -

I would just like to note, for the record, that I voted for Judy Baar Topinka in that particular gubernatorial election.

I did not find it difficult. I did not contort myself into pretzels lambasting the "heavy-handed" way Blago ultimately went down. I did not toss away my principl- sorry, PRINCIPALS! - seizing any arcane footnotes in the evidence against him when he was charged. I did not jump on board allegations that Patrick Fitzgeral was conducting a "witch hunt". And I did not blame the then-Bush administration for cooking up an "insurance policy" in case Blago won.

Funny how that works.

422. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5677495)
PRINCIPALS

I was decidedly anti-Principal and their jackboots. I personally clashed with every principal I had from K to 12.
   423. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5677498)
Oh, how adorable:
DOJ official Bruce Ohr, whose wife was paid by Fusion GPS, funneled information from Christopher Steele to the FBI after the FBI terminated Steele as a spy for lying about his leaks to media.
From the accompanying article:
In a letter sent to Rosenstein on Monday, Grassley asked the DOJ to provide all communication between the dossier author and Bruce Ohr regarding the investigation into Trump, including emails, phone logs, handwritten notes, and texts from both personal and work accounts. Grassley also asked that Bruce Ohr be made available “for a transcribed interview with Committee staff” about his relationship and communications with Steele.
   424. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5677499)
This White House Military Office coin (prematurely) commemorating the planned Trump-Kim Jong Un meeting captures the Trump presidency's spirit of dime-store authoritarianism--at once farcical and creepy, belligerently un-dignified and un-republican. And, yes, deeply un-American.
I disagree; there's nothing wrong with commemorating what could be a historic accomplishment. This is a pretty cool thing and if I was involved in the negotiations, I would want one of these very badly. And it's a pretty gorgeous design, except for the cheesy "supreme leader" thing, but that would just make it more attractive from a collector's perspective.

And "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" is written in a much larger font that "THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF NORTH KOREA". This is a pretty big deal, as any Master Persuader could tell you. #alreadywinning
   425. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5677500)
Should also be noted that Blago was arrested in the early morning - he just happens to be an earlier riser than Paul Manafort, I guess, and had to attend his arraignment in a jogging suit because the heavy-handed FBI wouldn't let him change.

And Fitzgerald's investigation was more three years long by the time he was arrested.

Oh, and the crimes he was ultimately charged with?

Almost all of them were actions that came well after the original investigation was initiated.

But again... I voted for Judy Baar Topinka.
   426. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5677502)
I would want one of these very badly

Are you kidding, I unironically want one RIGHT NOW! I think they are spectacular and perhaps are the greatest thing accomplished by the Trump administration. I would pay for such a fabulous item as the amazing Supreme Leader coin.
   427. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:15 PM (#5677503)
To be clear, I accused Sammy

Of #### you made up in your fcvktard head. Which, I suppose is better than your normal process of just repeating whatever shitposting came out of Ben Shapiro or Tucker Carlson's ass-sacks.

To be clear, for casual observers, my position on policing is more or less equivalent to Barack Obama's 2008 statement on "wars." I'm not against policing. In fact, I recently got yelled out vehemently by folks on Facebook for defending the APD against incorrectly aligned allegations of brutality. (The incident was located south of the city, but reporting of it named "Atlanta police" and I noted that APD is actually one of the better departments in the land, and shouldn't be accused of Henry County Sheriff's Department crimes.) I'm not against policing. I'm against stupid policing. And police being given licenses to kill without merit, with no oversight or possibility of successful prosecution. I'm against evil policing.

I am for the rights of the citizenry to live unmolested and untrammeled by the ever growing and out of control police state(s.) And I have been for decades. Unlike Jason, who's concern for civil rights extends exclusively and only to powerful politicians and their cadre of toadies and flunkies, who might one day grant his pet causes favor. Jason is the opposite of a civil libertarian, and no one should take anything he says on the subject seriously. He only believes in civil rights for the rich and powerful and Republican.
   428. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:16 PM (#5677504)
Donald Trump, Oct. 22, 2012: "Gas prices are at crazy levels--fire Obama!"
   429. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5677507)

I'm sure he feels the exact same way today.
   430. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5677508)
Just to capstone the Blagojevich diversion...

Ought to be noted that Patty has been touring Fox News in order to get her hubby a pardon lately...

...so I'm sure his rehabilitation will be complete any day now.

And I look forward to that. It makes life easier when all the world's shitbags decide to get together and form a Legion of Douche.
   431. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:23 PM (#5677512)
DOJ official Bruce Ohr, whose wife was paid by Fusion GPS, funneled information from Christopher Steele to the FBI after the FBI terminated Steele as a spy for lying about his leaks to media.

lmao, there's sincere conspiracy talk in the comments about a ham radio
   432. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5677513)
lmao, there's sincere conspiracy talk in the comments about a ham radio

Jason has recently considered pulling out his teeth fillings, you know.

EDIT: Also of note, that's the Twitter account of the nutjob who runs The Federalist. Of course it's a swamp pit of crazy.
   433. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5677515)
And I look forward to that. It makes life easier when all the world's shitbags decide to get together and form a Legion of Douche.
FWIW, I would also purchase a commemorative orange "Legion of Douche" challenge coin. Who knows when it would come in handy while touring around Slovenia or the Ukraine or wherever.
   434. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:27 PM (#5677517)

Firing would be too easy for that...normal and respectful guy. He can still be impeached! From a darling of the intellectual dark web...

@jacobawohl:
Right now, one person is worried about impeachment, and it's not President Trump #ImpeachObama
   435. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:28 PM (#5677518)
FWIW, I would also purchase a commemorative orange "Legion of Douche" challenge coin. Who knows when it would come in handy while touring around Slovenia or the Ukraine or wherever.

How do you think Jason got his apprenticeship with the many-faced god?

Valar dohaeris... all men must serve.
   436. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:36 PM (#5677524)
@jacobawohl:

That idiot is the "Editor In Chief of the Washington Reporter," a rag Jason also likes to link to. 20 year old alt-right moron. Has no clue what impeachment actually means. Is the type of person driving Jason's talking points. Sounds about right.
   437. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5677525)
I hear by declare that Obama is impeached!
   438. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5677532)
We should amend Article 2, Section 1 to bracket POTUS eligibility between the ages of 35 and 65.
   439. SY Ruined School Lunches! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:50 PM (#5677536)
I thought that guy was some sort of Democratic psyop for the longest time. He’s always the first in Trumps replies and is like a pulsar of greasy douche chills. Just incredibly repulsive.
   440. McCoy Posted: May 22, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5677542)
I disagree; there's nothing wrong with commemorating what could be a historic accomplishment. This is a pretty cool thing and if I was involved in the negotiations, I would want one of these very badly. And it's a pretty gorgeous design, except for the cheesy "supreme leader" thing, but that would just make it more attractive from a collector's perspective.

And "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" is written in a much larger font that "THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF NORTH KOREA". This is a pretty big deal, as any Master Persuader could tell you. #alreadywinning

You're commemorating coming to terms with a dictatorship that murders its citizens, murders other country's citizens, and threatens war on the entire world on terms that North Korea has a history of failing to live up to. Why would you want to have a coin of that? Hey, we let the murderer stay in power for another generation. Would you want a coin of the Reagan administration working out an agreement with Saddam Hussein as well?
   441. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5677544)
Would you want a coin of the Reagan administration working out an agreement with Saddam Hussein as well?

Ummmm ... yes. I want a cool coin cover for poker and that would be epic.
   442. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5677552)
   443. Shredder Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5677559)
I want the coin commemorating Reagan saying the Contras were the moral equivalent of our founding fathers.
Well, in Reagan's defense, our founding fathers were slaveholders, and some were pretty dickish. I mean, from a moral perspective they weren't really heroes in some respects. I mean, he still would have been incredibly wrong, just in a different direction.
   444. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:19 PM (#5677560)
Within the month Jason will be promoting the idea that Iran is carrying out assassinations in Europe as if it's been firmly established "truth" for decades.
   445. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5677563)

I think for the award, you need to at least point out, that there are 3 separate recognized dawns, at different times before sunrise: Astronomical, nautical, and civil dawn.
   446. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5677568)
That idiot is the "Editor In Chief of the Washington Reporter," a rag Jason also likes to link to. 20 year old alt-right moron. Has no clue what impeachment actually means. Is the type of person driving Jason's talking points. Sounds about right.

Yeah. Those are they types of sources they expect you to keep up with in order to engage them in discussion. Dancing Monkey whisperers. No thanks. I'll stay tuned to the real world.
   447. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:30 PM (#5677569)
In economics we talk a fair amount about substitutes and Ray seems to be assuming that pretty much every weapon is a perfect substitute for a gun, which is obviously a shaky assumption to make.

"Seems to be" "assuming"? Is that how lying works now?

I said if you take away guns the people intent on doing damage will find another way -- including moving up in class to trucks or bombs. I didn't say anything was a "perfect substitute." Knives would do a lot of damage but perhaps not as much as guns. Vehicles or bombs would likely do more. And that's what the loons would probably graduate to.
   448. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:33 PM (#5677573)
You're commemorating coming to terms with a dictatorship that murders its citizens, murders other country's citizens, and threatens war on the entire world on terms that North Korea has a history of failing to live up to.

Not only that, but it's a window into Trump's black heart and soul. Once we accept that it's legitimate to call Kim Jong-Un "Supreme Leader", we can get used to the idea that Trump should be called that. It's what he wants. Undoubtedly.
   449. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5677574)
And that's what the loons would probably graduate to.

What will you graduate to after you get tired of watching cartoons?
   450. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5677576)
I said if you take away guns the people intent on doing damage will find another way -- including moving up in class to trucks or bombs. I didn't say anything was a "perfect substitute." Knives would do a lot of damage but perhaps not as much as guns. Vehicles or bombs would likely do more. And that's what the loons would probably graduate to.

Deep thoughts with our own little lord.
   451. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5677577)
Within the month Jason will be promoting the idea that Iran is carrying out assassinations in Europe as if it's been firmly established "truth" for decades.

Has poor pathetic Sam, and the other apologists for the Iranian regime here, already forgotten that Iran attempted to assassinate the Saudi Ambassador, not in Europe, but in Washington, D.C., in a plot to blow up a restaurant that would have killed dozens. That was during the Obama Administration, BTW. Were they exaggerating, too? Seems unlikely, they put people in jaill for it, even if it didn't put much of a dent in their belief that they could trust the Iranian regime.
   452. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:45 PM (#5677580)

Not that I want to jump into this debate, but I don't think the logic holds.... at least, not if we differentiate between types of loons.

I.e.,. the sort of loon who commits mass murder for a religious, political, or ideological end? OK - obviously, we have more than ample instances where one avenue of harm via terrorism is closed off or made more difficult, the perpetrators find a new one.

But - the sort of loon who would shoot up his school (or expand it to place of work)? I don't know that this is true.

The former has a sort of logic - barbaric, awful, ill-conceived, etc though it is... Or maybe - saying that there's an end beyond the individual would be a better way to frame it.

The latter, though, does not.

Setting aside practicalities of implementation - if you made guns extraordinarily difficult to get, I don't think you'd see an equal number of "school attacks by students" happening via alternate means.

I mean - there are certainly disturbed students who DON'T have parents or relatives that act as suppliers or the financial means to acquire arsenals, right? Yet - they're not committing such massacres through alternate means more readily available in their individual instances, right?
   453. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5677585)
Has poor pathetic Sam, and the other apologists for the Iranian regime here, already forgotten that Iran attempted to assassinate the Saudi Ambassador, not in Europe, but in Washington, D.C.,

If they got you in the collateral damage, that's a win for humanity.
   454. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 05:59 PM (#5677592)
Poor pathetic Sam has made two attempts at substantive posts today, and messed up badly both times, so he reverts to his childish violent eliminationist rhetoric. That's all he can do. So sad.
   455. Swoboda is freedom Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:03 PM (#5677594)
that there are 3 separate recognized dawns

What about Red Dawn, Dawn of the Dead and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes?
   456. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:06 PM (#5677595)
So, Michael Cohen's Russian-American business partner has just cut a plea deal and will be cooperating with prosecutors.
   457. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5677597)
So, Michael Cohen's Russian-American business partner has just cut a plea deal and will be cooperating with prosecutors.

Nothing to see here!
   458. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:15 PM (#5677601)
that there are 3 separate recognized dawns

They go from Dusk till Dawn.
   459. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:17 PM (#5677602)

Was hoping it was Felix Sater...

But alas, it's Gene Freidman, from Cohen's taxi dealings.

Sounds like he got a pretty sweet deal.

It also represents a remarkably lenient deal for Freidman, who has told TPM he has managed taxi medallions owned by Cohen in both New York City and Chicago for some 16 years.

Freidman was facing four counts of criminal tax fraud and one of grand larceny for failing to pay over $5 million in taxes. The Times reported that each of those class B felonies carried a maximum sentence of up to 25 years in prison.

Freidman instead pleaded guilty to one count of evading $50,000 taxes and faces five years of probation provided he complies with the terms of his agreement, according to the newspaper.

No word, yet, on whether anyone suspects 302s were altered to trump up a BS charge.
   460. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:22 PM (#5677603)
Lesley Stahl, in other "nobody would have guessed and who could have seen this coming" news:

“At one point he started to attack the press. And it’s just me and my boss and him, in— He has a huge office. And he’s attacking the press. And there were no cameras. There was nothing going on, and I said, ‘You know, that is getting tired. Why are you doing this? You’re doing it over and over, and it’s boring, and it’s time to end that. You’ve won the nomination (sic). Why do you keep hammering at this?’

“And he said, ‘You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all, so when you write negative stories about me no one will believe you.”

No confirmation yet on whether whoever Trump's latest attorney is added "So why do you attack the FBI, DOJ, ongoing federal investigations, and anybody who hasn't sworn unerring fealty to you?" to the list of Mueller questions.

EDIT: It's still Rudy, right? He still hasn't been successful in getting Lionel Hutz on the phone?
   461. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:25 PM (#5677607)
“And he said, ‘You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all, so when you write negative stories about me no one will believe you.”

To be fair that only seems to work with the deeply stupid people, but as we've seen they're not really in short supply and constitute the most reliable block of Republican voters.
   462. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:26 PM (#5677608)

To be fair that only seems to work with the deeply stupid people

And some of them post here.
   463. Shredder Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:26 PM (#5677609)
Don't forget the Asian Dawn movement. I read about them in Time Magazine.
   464. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:27 PM (#5677611)
The pre-dawn raid on Manafort and his wife is the first thing that comes to mind.

A lawfully executed search warrant, lawfully obtained with probable cause and a judge's signature, is NOT a raid.

I assume then that people will stop referring to lawful raids by ICE as "raids."
   465. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:29 PM (#5677612)
You're commemorating coming to terms with a dictatorship that murders its citizens, murders other country's citizens, and threatens war on the entire world on terms that North Korea has a history of failing to live up to. Why would you want to have a coin of that? Hey, we let the murderer stay in power for another generation.
I would wager that it's better than the commemorative coin that shows a dead dictator along with a nuclear mushroom cloud rising over Seoul or Tokyo or San Francisco.
   466. Eddo Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:31 PM (#5677614)

What!? That's the last time I trust the most recent Planet of the Apes franchise!
   467. Traderdave Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:32 PM (#5677615)
   468. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5677617)
I assume then that people will stop referring to lawful raids by ICE as "raids."

Depends on whether they occur during business hours and are heavy-handed.
   469. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:41 PM (#5677620)
Could this be why Il Duce was so thunderously angry about Cohen;s docs being seized?

Noted the oddities of the Broidy situation earlier - and the fact that what's not in this article is that the day after Broidy made his first payment into the Cohen slush fund LLC, he just happened to have a private oval office meeting with Trump.

Since certain people have made speculation a Known Fact, the obvious speculation here would be that (especially if you consider the relative price tags) Broidy was actually funding a Trump paid-for abortion coverup.

I'd lay good money that Jason and Clapper would actually PREFER a pee-tape and Putin quid pro quo to that...
   470. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5677624)
The universe is speaking, Trumpkins...
Will you listen?

Steve Herman
‏Verified account @W7VOA

This week I’ve been observing a sinkhole on the @WhiteHouse North Lawn, just outside the press briefing room, growing larger by the day.
6:32 AM - 22 May 2018 from The West Wing

Steve Herman
‏Verified account @W7VOA

Update: The @WhiteHouse sinkhole is now a cover-up.
2:42 PM - 22 May 2018 from North Lawn - White House
   471. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:51 PM (#5677627)
While it was reported that FBI agents picked the lock to enter Manafort's condo in a luxury building overlooking the Potomac River, there is no indication of such tactics in the papers made public with the defense motion Monday. The warrant says the FBI was approved to carry out the search anytime between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. They reportedly entered just after 6 a.m.

(FYI, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. is the standard time that warrants specify for their execution; it's even pre-printed on the warrant. One needs permission to execute a warrant outside those hours.) That's not predawn at all!

(And yes, I realize this is an utterly unimportant issue in the grand scheme of things. So sue me.)

Sunrise in Alexandria, VA on July 26, 2017 was 6:04am. It's hard to believe you've stopped on this hill to argue even though it's a meaningless point. "6am raid" conveys what happened just fine. Most people in their late 60s without day jobs are asleep at 6am -- and it appears that Manafort and his wife were in this case -- so I don't know what your point here is. It's jackboot thuggery for the government to raid peoples' homes while they're sleeping for non-violent crimes -- even if perfectly lawful -- which was the point.
   472. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5677629)
Anyway, whether Steele was played is relevant to -- but not by the remotest stretch of the imagination dispositive of -- whether Trump or his buddies are guilty, but entirely separate from whether there was any wrongdoing by anyone at the FBI/DOJ. The attacks on the FBI are not about whether the FBI perfectly followed all its protocols. They're about distracting from the issue of Trump's guilt.

Careful, your TDSlip is showing again.

OTOH, we know that people who object to perfectly understandable language like "pre-dawn" and "tanked" are certainly interested in distracting.
   473. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:56 PM (#5677630)
Poor pathetic Sam has made two attempts at substantive posts today, and messed up badly both times, so he reverts to his childish violent eliminationist rhetoric. That's all he can do. So sad.

I think he is just overjoyed (as am I) that you correctly identified who the poster was. It is the little things that count in life.
   474. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:57 PM (#5677631)
Has poor pathetic Sam, and the other apologists for the Iranian regime here, already forgotten that Iran attempted to assassinate the Saudi Ambassador, not in Europe, but in Washington, D.C.,

Do they give a Nobel for "attempted" chemistry?
   475. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 22, 2018 at 06:59 PM (#5677633)
It's jackboot thuggery for the government to raid peoples' homes while they're sleeping for non-violent crimes

And when it happens to poor POC ever single day where is your Trump Tower ass? I'm starting to think you're a parody account again.
   476. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:04 PM (#5677637)
Also, I had no idea that there was a difference between dawn and sunrise.

That's the point; people commonly use "pre-dawn" to mean "pre-sunrise," not "pre-first-hint-of-a-light-ray."
   477. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:07 PM (#5677638)

I was out on my bike before 6:00 in Kensignton yesterday morning, and there was plenty of light. Any jackboots approaching the house would've been easily visible from a distance.

FYI, on July 26th sunrise is about 15 minutes later than on May 21st.
   478. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:07 PM (#5677640)
It's jackboot thuggery for the government to raid peoples' homes while they're sleeping for non-violent crimes -- even if perfectly lawful -- which was the point.

On the list of problems with law enforcement in 2018 in America this rates low enough that I don't care.

Don't like it? Change the law. But until then cry me a river. I mean seriously no one innocent ended up shot to death, for law enforcement in some parts that is a huge win for the lucky offender who was raided.
   479. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:09 PM (#5677642)
   480. Traderdave Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:10 PM (#5677643)
How many OAP's do you know Ray? Most of the ones I know are habitual early risers.

And this whole dawn/sunrise thing is ludicrous. Anyone who has ever passed a driver license exam knows that headlights are required from half hour after sunset to half hour before sunrise, because that's when it's DARK. Same goes for millions of people who hunt, fish, or go to work early in the morning -- IOW damn near every American knows this.
   481. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:10 PM (#5677644)
Gollum/Smeagol posted:
It's jackboot thuggery... cry me a river.
   482. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:11 PM (#5677645)

THIS TIME it counts collusion really is right around the next corner.

So many next corners... one imagines you folks feel like lab rats caught in a maze trying to find the door to the sunlight.
   483. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:14 PM (#5677647)
already forgotten that Iran attempted to assassinate the Saudi Ambassador

Also, I know it's not a shock for someone with no morals or principles to say whatever he wants as if it's truth like his incompetent idiot liar leader, but a used-car salesman from Texas is not "Iran", no matter who he tried to call for backing when he got in trouble or get his cousin to contact for him.

I mean, do you actually think people in IRL don't know - and haven't known for years - that this is what you're like?
   484. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5677649)
So many next corners... one imagines you folks feel like lab rats caught in a maze trying to find the door to the sunlight.

it's cheese, dude. sunlight? come on, these are RATS. You do ride the subway, right?
   485. Zonk was SHOCKED by #6! Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:42 PM (#5677652)
It's jackboot thuggery for the government to raid peoples' homes while they're sleeping for non-violent crimes

There are a lot of things that range from imperfections to significant problems in the US criminal justice system. There are thousands if not more, of people across the country that have been unjustly railroaded. There are serious, even deadly consequences for citizens who have been the victims of overzealous prosecutions or reckless police actions.

Some day, when I'm on the east coast, I'd love to introduce you ##### to Ed Baker.

Ed was convicted of murder in 1974 when he was 17. He was also originally picked up before dawn - and spent nearly an entire day in police custody before he was charged, maintaining his innocence. Due to incompetent or indifferent counsel, none of his alibi witnesses testified.

The actual killer in the case came forward in 1996 and admitted that he made up the story naming Ed as the lookout for the robbery/murder in exchange for a lesser sentence (the actual murderer got three years). The DA fought his release for three more years until a judge finally ordered it in 1999.

For another three years, the DA threatened to retry the original case despite the fact that their only evidence was a now-recanted confession - they still had an indictment and the actual perpetrator that had recanted in the 1996 evidentiary hearing had since died. They finally agreed in 2002 to drop the charges in exchange for Ed signing an agreement not to bring any civil suits against the DA or police.

Ed delivers sandwiches now, at the age of 62.

The first time one of you shitbags tried to use Paul Manafort being served a warrant at 6 AM as some grand point of an alleged principle about heavy-handed criminal justice, it was an eye-roller.

The second time, it's just disgusting.
   486. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:43 PM (#5677653)
Cry me a sandwich.
   487. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 07:47 PM (#5677656)
already forgotten that Iran attempted to assassinate the Saudi Ambassador

Also, I know it's not a shock for someone with no morals or principles to say whatever he wants as if it's truth like his incompetent idiot liar leader, but a used-car salesman from Texas is not "Iran", no matter who he tried to call for backing when he got in trouble or get his cousin to contact for him.

I think the person with "no morals or principles" is the one trying to minimize the the criminality of the Iranian regime. If you're disputing Iran's involvement in the Cafe Milano Bombing Plot, you're not arguing with me, you're disputing Preet Baharara, Eric Holder and numerous other Obama Administration officials. Why you wish to beclown yourself in service to poor pathetic Sam remains a mystery.
   488. Laser Man Posted: May 22, 2018 at 08:05 PM (#5677669)
I think the person with "no morals or principles" is the one trying to minimize the the criminality of the Iranian regime
I think you've moved away from the current issue. As part of the justifications of the latest sanctions, Pompeo stated that "Today, the Iranian Quds Force conducts covert assassination operations in the heart of Europe." It's not clear what he is referring to in this statement.
   489. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 08:09 PM (#5677671)
He doesn't care.
   490. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 08:25 PM (#5677680)
I think you've moved away from the current issue. As part of the justifications of the latest sanctions, Pompeo stated that "Today, the Iranian Quds Force conducts covert assassination operations in the heart of Europe." It's not clear what he is referring to in this statement.

So, you think the Cafe Milano Bombing Plot was a one-time thing? Iran had never done anything like that before or since? Even Wikipedia seems to disagree. And that list doesn't even credit them for the Jewish Community Center Bombing in Argentina, which killed 85. Not sure why folks are so eager to make excuses for Iran, even if they have to dispute Preet Bharara, Eric Holder & even Hillary Clinton on Iran's role in the Cafe Milano Bombing Plot.
   491. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 22, 2018 at 08:27 PM (#5677684)
It's jackboot thuggery for the government to raid peoples' homes while they're sleeping for non-violent crimes -- even if perfectly lawful -- which was the point.

Unless it's ICE raiding the homes of nonviolent illegal immigrants, and separating parents from their children. Then it's "WHAT PART OF 'ILLEGAL' DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?" and "THEY SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT WHEN THEY CAME OVER THE BORDER".

492. Laser Man Posted: May 22, 2018 at 08:29 PM (#5677686)
So, you think the Cafe Milano Bombing Plot was a one-time thing? Iran had never done anything like that before or since?
I don't know why you have such a hard time with reading comprehension. I'm not disputing the Cafe Milano case or the Argentina case. I asked a simple question, which I will repeat again - What are the covert assassinations in the heart of Europe that Iran is conducting today, as claimed by Pompeo? I haven't heard about any such cases in Europe recently.
   493. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: May 22, 2018 at 08:35 PM (#5677694)
Sunrise in Alexandria, VA on July 26, 2017 was 6:04am. It's hard to believe you've stopped on this hill to argue even though it's a meaningless point. "6am raid" conveys what happened just fine. Most people in their late 60s without day jobs are asleep at 6am -- and it appears that Manafort and his wife were in this case -- so I don't know what your point here is. It's jackboot thuggery for the government to raid peoples' homes while they're sleeping for non-violent crimes -- even if perfectly lawful -- which was the point.
Wasn't Ray the "it's technically legal so why are you all getting unhinged about this" guy?

Only when it suits his arguments. Or so it seems to appear.
   494. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 08:55 PM (#5677709)
The first time one of you shitbags tried to use Paul Manafort being served a warrant at 6 AM as some grand point of an alleged principle about heavy-handed criminal justice, it was an eye-roller.

The second time, it's just disgusting.

It's not surprising that the incidents that gets soft-handed Manhattanite lawyers and DC village influence peddlers "concerned" about police tactics is an arrest of a tony Manhattanite lawyer and influence peddler. There's absolutely zero principle at play.
   495. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 22, 2018 at 08:57 PM (#5677712)
What are the covert assassinations in the heart of Europe that Iran is conducting today, as claimed by Pompeo?

He doesn't care about truth of facts. He's a goddamned slimeball with no guiding principle other than service to his paying masters.
   496. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:11 PM (#5677723)
EDIT: Also of note, that's the Twitter account of the nutjob who runs The Federalist. Of course it's a swamp pit of crazy.
Of course, you were one of those who claimed that anyone broaching the subject of surveillance of the Trump campaign was a total nutter so your record is pretty sh1tty compared to Sean's.
   497. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:14 PM (#5677725)
That idiot is the "Editor In Chief of the Washington Reporter," a rag Jason also likes to link to.
Cite, Swampy? Take all of the time you need.
   498. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:20 PM (#5677728)
Scrolling through the late afternoon and evening comments, the derangement is über-thick. Clapper's right. Heck, some folks seem nearly ready to shoot up the closest post office.
   499. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5677731)
From November...

Leader of Ahwaz Movement murdered in Netherlands:
WASHINGTON DC, United States (Kurdistan 24) – The head of a major ethnic liberation movement in Iran, Ahmad Mawla Abu Nahidh, was assassinated Wednesday, Sky News Arabia reported.

The director of the London-based Ahwaz Center for Media and Strategic Studies, Hassan Radhi, disclosed news of the murder, as he accused Iran of killing Nahidh.

Nahidh headed the “Movement for Arab Struggle to Liberate Ahwaz from Iranian Occupation.” He was killed by three bullets—one to his head and two to his heart— as he stood outside the door of his home in the usually placid Dutch city of The Hague.

Dutch police managed to arrest one man, whom they caught fleeing the scene.

The assassination is reminiscent of earlier Iranian-sponsored assassinations in Europe of leaders of the country’s ethnic minorities, including Kurdish leaders. In 1989, Dr. Abdel Rahman Ghassemlou, head of the Kurdistan Democratic Party of Iran, was murdered in Vienna.

Three years later, Ghassemlou’s successor, Dr. Sadegh Sharaf Kandi, was murdered in Berlin, along with three other men. In 1997, a German court issued an arrest warrant for Iran’s intelligence minister, saying he had ordered the murders with the knowledge of Iran’s political leadership.

Ahwazis are Arabs, one of several major non-Persian ethnic groups in Iran that also include Kurds, Turks, and Baluch.

In 2015, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch both protested an Iranian crackdown against Ahwazi Arabs, as the regime undertook a large-scale campaign of arbitrary arrests in the southwestern province of Khuzestan, where Ahwazis live and where most of Iran’s oil and gas reserves are located.

The arrests were triggered by mass protests that coincided roughly with the anniversary of Ahwazi demonstrations a decade before.
Emphasis mine.
   500. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:34 PM (#5677734)
.pilF
Page 5 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.