Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 21, 2018

OTP 2018 May 21: President takes British royalty to a baseball game, May 15, 1991

The 65-year-old queen, dressed in a below-the-knee blue and red dress, black gloves and three strands of pearls, entered the Orioles dugout along the third base line. She formed a receiving line with her husband and the president, clad in a navy blazer, and Barbara Bush. The first lady wore a blue and white floral print dress.

While the VIP guests took their positions designated by their names on 3-by-5 cards, the song “Brown-Eyed Girl” played over the stadium’s public-address system. Their images appeared on the video screen in right-center field.

“I’ve been playing baseball for 10 years, and I’m used to a normal atmosphere,” said Cal Ripken Jr., the Orioles shortstop, after exchanging handshakes. “This is a lot different. There’s a lot of excitement.”

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 21, 2018 at 07:42 AM | 1375 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baltimore orioles, oakland athletics, off topic, politics, polyamorous wood

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 6 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›
   501. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:35 PM (#5677735)
Lesley Stahl, in other "nobody would have guessed and who could have seen this coming" news:
The Obama administration ordered government-ordered surveillance or search warrants issued against reporters. As of now, the Trump administration has done neither.
   502. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5677740)
Do they give a Nobel for "attempted" chemistry?
???
   503. DavidFoss Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5677741)
Of course, you were one of those who claimed that anyone broaching the subject of surveillance of the Trump campaign was a total nutter so your record is pretty sh1tty compared to Sean's.

I still don't understand you. "Campaign under investigation is... inveestigated by agencies which investigate things" Earlier this week it was "Media asks relevant agencies to comment on the stories that they are working on". Yet the Federalist acts like big scandals have been uncovered. Its nonsense.
   504. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5677742)
I'm not disputing the Cafe Milano case or the Argentina case. I asked a simple question, which I will repeat again - What are the covert assassinations in the heart of Europe that Iran is conducting today, as claimed by Pompeo.

If you're not disputing the Iranian involvement in the Cafe Milano Bombing Plot, unlike apparently Sam & Lassus, or the plots included in the links in #490, I don't know why you find it improbable that Iran has continued those activities. And you're misquoting Secretary of State Pompeo. He didn't say Iran was conducting "assassinations" today, he said: "Today, the Iranian Qods Force conducts covert assassination operations in the heart of Europe." Those "operations" might include any number of planning, surveillance and preparation measures. Given their sordid record, why do you think they wouldn't, even if they may not have actually pulled the trigger since the 2017 attack in Turkey?

EDIT: Oops, looks like I short-changed the Iranians, failing to credit them for the November 2017 attack in the Netherlands mentioned in #499.
   505. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:40 PM (#5677743)
Re: #502 - Google
   506. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:40 PM (#5677744)

The Obama administration ordered government-ordered surveillance or search warrants issued against reporters. As of now, the Trump administration has done neither.
No, but he apparently tried to drive Amazon out of business in order to punish a newspaper that shares common ownership with it.
   507. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:41 PM (#5677746)
Also, I know it's not a shock for someone with no morals or principles to say whatever he wants as if it's truth like his incompetent idiot liar leader, but a used-car salesman from Texas is not "Iran", no matter who he tried to call for backing when he got in trouble or get his cousin to contact for him.
Do you know what a sleeper cell is?
   508. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:45 PM (#5677748)
No, but he apparently tried to drive Amazon out of business in order to punish a newspaper that shares common ownership with it.
That was an insidious move, although no one seriously thought it was a serious effort to destroy Amazon, let alone the WaPo, just to give the company's stock price a bloody nose.
   509. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:47 PM (#5677750)
I still don't understand you. "Campaign under investigation is... inveestigated by agencies which investigate things" Earlier this week it was "Media asks relevant agencies to comment on the stories that they are working on". Yet the Federalist acts like big scandals have been uncovered. Its nonsense.
I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try to keep up?
   510. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:49 PM (#5677755)
MS-13 gang member nicknamed ‘Animal’ sentenced to 40 years:
An MS-13 member who goes by the gang name “Animal” received a 40-year prison sentence this week for a conspiracy that included the murder of a 15-year-old boy, the U.S. attorney’s office in Massachusetts said Tuesday.

The nickname, which the prosecutors highlighted in the headline of a press release, is particularly telling, coming just a week after President Trump called members of the violent, immigrant-fueled MS-13 gang “animals.”

NO ####### WAY.
   511. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:50 PM (#5677756)
As of now, the Trump administration has done neither.

If you think Obama has done more damage to the press in the United States than Trump, there's nowhere to go.

Do you know what a sleeper cell is?

I read Clapper's article. Was he in the same sort of sleeper cell that you kept claiming Paddock was part of?

Iran is certainly a country that is trying to kill far too many people and they have done awful things and will continue to do awful things. They do more awful things than other countries. They should not do these things, and those who give the orders to do these things should be set on fire and thrown off buildings. None of that has any bearing on Clapper saying that IRAN TRIED TO ASSASSINATE this dude, because no matter how awful you think Iran is or how awful they actually are makes that an accurate statement based on the facts presented by Clapper himself.
   512. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:52 PM (#5677757)
If you think Obama has done more damage to the press in the United States than Trump, there's nowhere to go.
The media has done more damage to itself than the actions of all of the Presidents from Truman to Trump combined.
   513. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:58 PM (#5677762)
Very clearly irresponsive.

514. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 09:59 PM (#5677764)
EDIT: Now I'm confused. Who's Paddock?
   515. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:02 PM (#5677766)
None of that has any bearing on Clapper saying that IRAN TRIED TO ASSASSINATE this dude, because no matter how awful you think Iran is or how awful they actually are makes that an accurate statement based on known facts.

Again, if you're disputing that Iran was behind the Cafe Milano Bombing Plot, you're not just disagreeing with my characterization, but that of Preet Bharara, Eric Holder, and even Hillary Clinton, while ignoring a mountain of evidence. All because one of the plotters was bit of a loser? Or just because you reflexively disagree with me? Perhaps you should do some research before embarrassing yourself further?
   516. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:08 PM (#5677771)
The media has done more damage to itself than the actions of all of the Presidents from Truman to Trump combined.

And really, from a fan of BREITBART's publication history? Come on.
   517. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:09 PM (#5677774)
Well, that's three shoutouts in less than 2 and a half hours. Someone should contact Preet Bharara, Eric Holder, and even Hillary Clinton, and tell them that their honesty and judgment have risen in esteem, if only just for May 22, 2018.
   518. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:09 PM (#5677775)
EDIT: Now I'm confused. Who's Paddock?

The Las Vegas shooter and likely ISIS member. How soon we forget.
   519. DavidFoss Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:11 PM (#5677778)
The media has engaged in more self-destructive behavior than all of the Presidents from Truman to Trump combined.

Except not Sean Davis and Tucker Carlson, I presume?

I do try to keep up with the conservative media headlines. (The accompanying photos with caricatured looks on their faces lends a very professional credibility to the articles.)

What is the daily caller talking about now. LEAD STORY: Avenatti's law firm lost a case that has nothing to do with Trump or Cohen. Manafort lawyer found a leaker on the Mueller team? RICO suit against Fusion GPS. Gaetz schools Tapper on FISA abuses. Meghan McCain dares cohosts to try identity politics. Liberals don't care about why Russia investigation started. CNN lies about there not being 13 democrats on the Mueller team. Trump doesn't want to hear questions from media. Clapper has lame excuse for why he lied to congress. Liberals fear that Mueller is helping Trump. Sanders zings Schumer. Trump mocks liberal meltdowns that followed his election in November 2016. Pelosi & Democrats support MS-13. etc etc etc.

These are the relevant topics of the day?
   520. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:12 PM (#5677779)
The Las Vegas shooter and likely ISIS member. How soon we forget.
No wonder why I was confused. I never claimed he was an Iranian sleeper agent.

But since you raise the subject matter, I'm pretty certain the authorities *still* don't know why that scumbag committed the massacre.
   521. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:14 PM (#5677781)
Well, that's three shoutouts in less than 2 and a half hours. Someone should contact Preet Bharara, Eric Holder, and even Hillary Clinton, and tell them that their honesty and judgment have risen in esteem, if only just for May 22, 2018.

Well, I was shocked that Lassus would throw them all under the bus. Someone had to defend them on one of the few things they got right.
   522. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:15 PM (#5677782)
These are the relevant topics of the day?
Apparently, you keep up with the conservative media headlines more than I do. Probably more than Clapper too.

Are you up to speed with the liberal media too? Is CNN still broadcasting Stormy-Avenatti 24/7?
   523. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:15 PM (#5677783)
I never claimed he was an Iranian sleeper agent.

No, but you claimed he was an ISIS sleeper agent. With even less evidence than what was presented for the used-car salesman.
   524. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:21 PM (#5677789)
Chuck Ross:
Reminder: Clapper [the other one] didn't even know that FBI/DOJ had a FISA up on Carter Page. And he didn't know who George Papadopoulos was until last year. Look it up.
These are not serious people. Too bad that's not typically a winning defense at a criminal trial...
   525. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:24 PM (#5677790)
With even less evidence
Bullshit. ISIS claimed responsibility and, as of that date, had no history of making this sort of #### up.
   526. DavidFoss Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:32 PM (#5677795)
Are you up to speed with the liberal media too? Is CNN still broadcasting Stormy-Avenatti 24/7?

I only watch Jake Tapper on sundays. CNN's daily evening shows are too crossfire-like for my taste. You might find them liberal because a few of them take issue with Trump trolling them the wrong way, but every time I turn them on, I see Dershowitz, Santorum, or someone else.

Remember, Daily Caller's lead story was Avenatti, too. The latest on the Avenatti front is some "taxi king" business partner of Cohen's has flipped and will cooperate in the case against Cohen. Or so they say. I've yet to see anything substantive come from any of the flippers. As for why Avenatti cares... nobody can figure out what any of this has to do with the Clifford NDA, but nobody thinks it bodes well for Cohen either.
   527. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:35 PM (#5677799)
The latest from McCarthy;
Last week, as controversy stirred over the possibility that the Obama administration had used a spy against the Trump campaign, the eagle eye of the Wall Street Journal’s Kimberly Strassel caught a couple of key passages from the House Intelligence Committee’s recent report on Russian interference in the election — largely overlooked passages on page 54.

It turns out that, in “late spring” 2016, the FBI’s then-director James Comey briefed the principals of the National Security Council on “the Page information.” As the Washington Examiner’s Byron York observes in a perceptive column today, NSC principals are an administration’s highest-ranking national-security officials. In Obama’s National Security Council, the president was the chairman, and among the regular attendees were the vice-president (Joe Biden), the national-security adviser (Susan Rice), and the director of national intelligence (James Clapper). The heads of such departments and agencies as the Justice Department (Attorney General Loretta Lynch) and the CIA (Director John Brennan) could also be invited to attend NSC meetings if matters of concern to them were to be discussed. ...

What would have been the reason for Lynch, Comey, and McCabe to discuss Carter Page? Well, on March 21, 2016 — i.e., early spring — the Trump campaign announced the candidate’s foreign-policy advisory team. Trump had been spurned by the Republican foreign-policy clerisy and was under pressure to show that he had some advisers. So the campaign hastily put out a list of five little-known figures, including Page. Young George Papadopoulos (whose idea of résumé inflation was to claim, apparently falsely, that he’d been a participant in the Geneva International Model United Nations) was also among the five; but he was a virtual unknown at the time — he did not cause the FBI the consternation that the appearance of Page’s name did.

Another source of consternation: On March 29, just a few days after Page was announced as a foreign-policy adviser, Paul Manafort joined the Trump campaign. Manafort and his partner, Richard Gates (who also joined the Trump campaign), had been on the FBI’s radar over political-consultant work they’d done for many years for a Kremlin-backed political party in Ukraine — the party deeply enmeshed in Russian aggression against that former Soviet satellite state.

In discussing Page, one of the things Lynch, Comey, and McCabe discussed was the possibility of providing the Trump campaign with a “defensive briefing.” This would be a meeting with a senior campaign official to put the campaign on notice of potential Russian efforts to compromise someone — Page — within the campaign. ...

Carter Page and Paul Manafort joined the Trump campaign in early spring, and the FBI was concerned about their possible ties to Russia. These were not trifling concerns, but they did not come close to suggesting a Trump-Russia espionage conspiracy against the 2016 election.

These FBI concerns resulted in a briefing of the Obama NSC by the FBI sometime in “late spring.” I suspect the “late spring” may turn out to be an earlier part of spring than most people might suppose — like maybe shortly after Page joined the Trump campaign.

There are many different ways the Obama administration could have reacted to the news that Page and Manafort had joined the Trump campaign. It could have given the campaign a defensive briefing. It could have continued interviewing Page, with whom the FBI had longstanding lines of communication. It could have interviewed Manafort. It could have conducted a formal interview with George Papadopoulos rather than approaching him with a spy who asked him loaded questions about Russia’s possession of Democratic-party emails.

Instead of doing some or all of those things, the Obama administration chose to look at the Trump campaign as a likely co-conspirator of Russia — either because Obama officials inflated the flimsy evidence, or because they thought it could be an effective political attack on the opposition party’s likely candidate.

From the “late spring” on, every report of Trump-Russia ties, no matter how unlikely and uncorroborated, was presumed to be proof of a traitorous arrangement. And every detail that could be spun into Trump-campaign awareness of Russian hacking, no matter how tenuous, was viewed in the worst possible light.

The Trump-Russia investigation did not originate with Page or Papadopoulos. It originated with the Obama administration.
   528. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:36 PM (#5677801)
Bullshit. ISIS claimed responsibility

Evidence.
   529. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:38 PM (#5677803)
You might find them liberal because a few of them take issue with Trump trolling them the wrong way, but every time I turn them on, I see Dershowitz, Santorum, or someone else.
Dershowitz is a liberal, thank you very much.

Anyway, the last time I paid attention to CNN, there was a six-person panel consisting of four liberals, one Trumpkin, and one non-aligned conservative. CNN has always been liberal, except now that they're batshit crazy too. (It's a shame too, since there are so many talented folks who work there, both in front of and behind the camera.)
   530. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:39 PM (#5677805)
As much as Jason has made him his media hero these last few weeks (months?), it's probably a good idea to give people some background on Chuck Ross.

He's got black friends, so it's not racism!

Black people walk slow – everywhere. This is especially puzzling since they tend to run so fast. Blacks meander through cross walks in traffic. They jaywalk in front of oncoming vehicles. They do the “Dougie” on two-way streets. Don’t get stuck behind them in a crowded mall or in line somewhere; they’ll walk slow just to go against the grain or force you (white person) to swerve around them. Inevitably, they’ll make fun of you for being a goofy, neurotic white person.

or

The question becomes, if each one of these groups is acting in accordance with their “nature”, how do we go about doling out justice or incorporating every group into the social fold? I touched on the question previously. As an example, if blacks have higher levels of testosterone and are more predisposed towards violent and aggressive behavior, “intertribal” competition, and work-aversion – antisocial behavior in today’s Western world – is it fair to “punish” them using white Western legal and social proscriptions? In these cases, legal codes and social norms that worked well for white Westerners may not work so well for blacks of African descent or people of other ethnicities and races who have had much less time to co-evolve within “our” society’s proscriptions.

Let’s use blacks – especially African Americans – as an example. Blacks’ higher testosterone levels lead to increased aggression which in today’s confined society inevitably leads to increased violence and crime. In fact, African-Americans’ ancestors – slaves – were bred for high testosterone levels. A properly implemented penal code would account for the difference in nature to curb the problem. Laws and punishments that seek to reprimand outlying behavior on the “normal” (white) distribution of lawfullness may not fit the distribution of lawfullness for blacks.

Obviously, the U.S.’s penal code has led to blowback on the black community. A never-ending cycle of criminality and incarceration of blacks is one of the reasons for their low socio-economic status, low education levels, and higher crime. While individuals are responsible for their actions on the micro level, systematic incongruency will lead to higher incarceration rates on the aggregate. It’s nice to think that an individual will behave in accordance with the law, but its a pipe dream that a whole group will act against their nature to live by the letter of the law.

Or, as Chuck Ross once said about the Tuskegee Airmen -

we’ve come a long way. the argument was once that ‘blacks are inferior to whites’, now we understand that ‘black are *on average* inferior to whites’.

On the next edition of Who is This Chuck Ross Jason Loves So Much, we'll explore his attitudes regarding women.... and join us for the following edition, where we'll meander through his thoughts on the gays...
   531. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:42 PM (#5677809)
Evidence.
Here's the evidence that ISIS claimed responsibility.
   532. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:48 PM (#5677813)
The latest on the Avenatti front is some "taxi king" business partner of Cohen's has flipped and will cooperate in the case against Cohen. Or so they say. I've yet to see anything substantive come from any of the flippers.

That's not the latest on Avenatti, by any means. It appears he may have committed the worst crime in the legal profession, defrauding a fellow attorney:
A federal judge in California ordered a law firm linked to Stormy Daniels' attorney to pay $10 million on Tuesday to a lawyer who claimed that the firm had misstated its profits and that he was owed millions. The judgment came after Jason Frank, who used to work at Eagan Avenatti, alleged that that the law firm failed to pay a $4.85 million settlement he had reached in December. He said in court papers that the settlement was personally guaranteed by Michael Avenatti, who has garnered national attention as the attorney for Daniels, the porn actress who is suing President Donald Trump following an alleged 2006 affair.

Frank had worked at Avenatti's firm under an independent contractor agreement and was supposed to collect 25 percent of the firm's annual profits, along with 20 percent of fees his clients paid, according to court documents. He resigned in May 2016 after alleging that the firm didn't pay him millions of dollars that he was owed, misstated the firm's profits and wouldn't provide copies of tax returns and other financial documents.

After he resigned, Frank brought the case to a panel of arbitrators, who found that the firm "acted with malice, fraud, and oppression by hiding its revenue numbers," according to a copy of the arbitration report included in court documents. In December, Frank settled with Avenatti's firm for a total of $4.85 million, which was supposed to include an initial $2 million payment and then a second payment for $2.85 million. The $2 million payment was supposed to be made by May 14, but Avenatti and his firm never paid, Frank said in court papers.

The settlement agreement included a clause that the firm couldn't oppose a request for a $10 million judgment if the settlement payments weren't made within three days of the due date. Frank did not immediately return a telephone message seeking comment on Tuesday.

The judgment is final and cannot be appealed, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Catherine Bauer said in her ruling.

Court records in the bankruptcy proceeding also show Avenatti had personally agreed to pay about $2.4 million in back taxes and penalties. During Tuesday's hearing, an assistant U.S. attorney said Avenatti had not made a payment that was due last week for unpaid taxes as part of the agreement that was reached in January.

The Daniels business always seemed like a sideshow - at most, a 12-year-ago consensual one-night-stand and subsequent non-disclosure agreement. Daniels isn't paying Avenatti's fees, and those who are presumably think they're getting their money's worth for whatever damage there is to Trump's reputation (Huh?). Despite Avenatti's apparent talent at self-promotion, his legal troubles over disclosing Cohen's finances, this damage award, and a hefty back tax bill, may keep him too busy to appear on CNN on a daily basis. Or perhaps not.
   533. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:48 PM (#5677814)
Here's the evidence that ISIS claimed responsibility.

- golf clap -

Are you actually unaware that's not the evidence I'm talking about, or are you just being a dick?:
   534. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM (#5677816)
Maybe offer us a link before besmirching the reputation of one of the more talented investigative journalists with accusations of racism, zonk?
   535. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:52 PM (#5677820)
Are you actually unaware that's not the evidence I'm referring to, or are you just being a dick?:
You've been acting like a total banshee on this topic. Either get to the ####### point or stalk someone else.
   536. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:55 PM (#5677828)
Chuck Ross on breast cancer

I'm Aware. Leave Me Alone Already
I'm not trying to be mean or insensitive, but Jesus Christ, I'm fully aware of breast cancer. Leave it alone; let it breathe; give breast cancer a rest.

Tonight I got on Facebook and saw that a lot of people were posting colors as their status updates. My girlfriend wrote pale-yellow, a couple of female friends had written green and red. My best friend, Brint, from high school had written burn orange in support of the Texas Longhorns and their bid for the National Championship.

I figured I'd join in on the fun and wrote "menstrual-flow red". I didn't know the guidelines of this little game. I thought a little better of my choice; I have family members and former teachers as friends on Facebook so I decided to come up with a new status reading "car-sick yellow". It's not only a color but it has imagery.

All kidding aside, I'm suffering from breast cancer burnout. Breast cancer is a serious and sad condition, but how many months of the year, how many days, how many ribbons, and how many fundraisers have to be done for everyone to be sufficiently aware? And once we are all fully steeped in awareness, what do we do next? Not to mention the many other afflictions that could use a little awareness. Prostate cancer, as I've mentioned before, is a serious threat to men that is even neglected by one of the biggest potential epicenters of awareness for men: the NFL. Instead they focus their efforts on breast cancer. The entire month of October - with a full 31 days mind you - is devoted to the cause.

So breast cancer has had its time. Let's let the sun shine on another dog's ass for a while.

Chuck Ross on the dangers of getting your wife that Roomba rather than that vacuum she has to push for your anniversary...

Small towns like the one I'm from in Texas have a fat girl problem. The scent of cheap perfume, sweat, grease, and FUPA smegma forms a troposphere-like force field surrounding the town that I call "that fat girl smell".

The hefty prefer the wide-open spaces of rural settings leaving the countryside pocked with Meccas of fat; Wal-Marts teem with herds of bovine; buffets routinely stock-out of deep fried items and gravy. Exhibit A on my dad's list of evidence for why north central Texas sucks is the overpopulation of human wildebeests roaming the plains. When the pale eyes killed off all the buffalo in the 19th century they didn't realize they were just clearing the way for droves of similarly-sized creatures to fill the void; perhaps one day fat girl skulls will be unearthed and decorated for artistic purposes; who knows.

I opened with pointing out small towns' fat girl problem. I'm not entirely sure that women are heavier in rural areas and the South than men although I can picture a scenario where women are even more sedentary than men in these locales. Many men do still work in trades and in the field in lots of rural areas which allows them to slough off some calories; women do none of that work. There is likely a higher percentage of housewives in these areas than cities; given the automation of the household, housework isn't so much of a calorie-depleting chore as it might have been in the 20th century. But even if men and women are equally fat in these places, the consequences fall more heavily on the beefy necks of women. They are the ones burdened with the chore of maintaining their figure and good looks. Men are more reliant on status; largess doesn't harm them as much in society's eyes.

But all is not lost. People in the South have come around in the past decade or so; they've discovered a magical dietary aid - much more effective than Atkins or the South Beach Diet. It's called crystal meth and it helps cut lb's like nothing else. This has caused an interesting phenomenon in small rural towns whereby when you drive down the Drag you'll see multiple porched wales along with formerly-portly-now-toothless skeletons walking down the street. Looking through high school yearbooks I can delineate three categories: moved away; got fat; got fat then became meth-skinny.
   537. DavidFoss Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:55 PM (#5677829)

Civil libertarian in the legal/judicial sense back in his day perhaps, but his performances in the media in the past year show him to be a total Trump apologist.

He never talks substance -- like what would be enough evidence and what would not be enough evidence. He just goes into full gadfly mode every time. Evidently no one can know if any crime has ever been committed because no one can tell anyone what the law is or why the justice system would care about it. It just makes your head explode listening to the guy.
   538. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:00 PM (#5677834)
Wow, zonk, it's quite evident that you've become increasingly unnerved over the stories Ross has filed in these past few months. Well, too little, too late, dude. Your pals royally screwed the pooch and, while it will take another several months (or maybe even a year), justice is coming.
   539. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:08 PM (#5677841)
Wow, zonk, it's quite evident that you've become increasingly unnerved over the stories Ross has filed in the past few months. Too little, too late. Your pals royally screwed the pooch and, while it may take another several months (or maybe even a year), justice is coming.

You spelled "curious" wrong...

As in, I noticed he seems to be your favorite namecheck of late, so I decided to plug his name into the old google and see exactly who it is that I'm supposed to be vesting with some kind of authority.

Which brought up this.

So, checked out his old blog - deleted, but on the wayback - here.

His subsequent postings at his new location were smartly excluded from archiving - so one just finds quoted portions (that's where most of his race related items come from).

But it's OK, Jason.

Everybody knows this is who you are now.... for Donald Trump.

Quite a life you've devolved for yourself.
   540. Stormy JE Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:19 PM (#5677846)
Oh look, a link! So I've clicked. Funny how you fail to note that Ross renounced those comments. And all this time I figured Gonfalon was the king of selective edits. What was I thinking?

#StickToCubsRosterSpots
   541. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:25 PM (#5677848)
Oh look, a link! So I've clicked. Funny how you fail to note that Ross renounced those comments. And all this time I figured Gonfalon was the king of selective edits. What was I thinking?

Renounced or excused?

“A lot of the stuff I wrote on my blog and in comments sections on other websites were hare-brained responses to stupid arguments taking place within the tiny community of bloggers I knew at the time,” notes the 36-year-old Ross in a written statement to the Erik Wemple Blog. “I wrote a lot of stuff that I didn’t believe, but I’d write about it for the sake of argument, and sometimes to be provocative or to piss off other bloggers.”

But remember, that's your truth-teller... sake of argument... to be provocative... piss off other bloggers.

He did renounce some of his more racist posts - a black guy beat him up once, he says, so it all because of that.

But - as David Duke has renounced the Klan's violent past, I'm sure Mr. Duke is gladdened that, rather than being a "who?" - should Trump make it to 2020, he's on target for a RNC speaking slot.
   542. Lassus Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:33 PM (#5677858)
Either get to the ####### point or stalk someone else.

1. From YOU, this is hilarious.
2. ISIS saying Paddock belonged to ISIS is not evidence Paddock belonged to ISIS.
   543. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:37 PM (#5677861)
but he apparently tried to drive Amazon out of business

Are you talking about a different Amazon from the one that did $177 billion in revenue last year?
   544. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:37 PM (#5677862)

2. ISIS saying Paddock belonged to ISIS is not evidence Paddock belonged to ISIS.
Of course it is. It's not proof, but it's certainly evidence.
   545. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:51 PM (#5677870)
Maybe offer us a link before besmirching the reputation of one of the more talented investigative journalists with accusations of racism, zonk?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Oh look, a link! So I've clicked. Funny how you fail to note that Ross renounced those comments.

I guess if you can stick up for Andrew Breitbart, you can stick up for any Daily Caller sleazeball the cat dragged in. Who's next on your list of Misunderstoods? Pam Geller? Donald Trump? (Oh, right....)

-------------------------------------------------------------

“A lot of the stuff I wrote on my blog and in comments sections on other websites were hare-brained responses to stupid arguments taking place within the tiny community of bloggers I knew at the time,” notes the 36-year-old Ross in a written statement to the Erik Wemple Blog. “I wrote a lot of stuff that I didn’t believe, but I’d write about it for the sake of argument, and sometimes to be provocative or to piss off other bloggers.”

In Ross's defense, that's probably how JE will explain his own pimping for Trump once pimping for Trump no longer is necessary to stay employed in his little right win hothouse.
   546. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:55 PM (#5677873)

A longtime liberal, and he voted for Hillary, in fact.

And has taken issue with several things Trump has said or done. But because Dershowitz doesn't rant and rave against Trump all the time while foaming from the mouth the deranged ones think he's "pro-Trump."

(It's an odd notion anyway. Legal analysis is about applying the law to the facts. One giving a legal opinion who is not representing a client doesn't necessarily have to be "pro" or "anti" the person whose actions the legal opinion revolves around. Saying that George Zimmerman wasn't guilty of the crime of murder under Florida state law is not the same thing as being "pro-George Zimmerman." It's perfectly consistent to say that George Zimmerman is scum -- which he is -- while also saying that he wasn't guilty of murder. Same for the analysis that Trump didn't obstruct justice -- which in no way says that Trump is a good person. The deranged ones can't get this simple concept grasped.)
   547. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 22, 2018 at 11:59 PM (#5677875)
Old busted: Besmirch the reputation

New Hotness: He renounced what he said!

548. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 23, 2018 at 12:05 AM (#5677878)
So the Onion spent all day trolling Michael Cohen on twitter... and it's rather amusing.

Sadly, the didn't hashtag the posts, so I think this DK aggregation is the only way to get them in a row...
   549. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 23, 2018 at 12:08 AM (#5677880)
JE, #540:
And all this time I figured Gonfalon was the king of selective edits.

They selectively irk you, anyway. So that's [...] good.

Anyway, continue to teach us all by your example how to post truthful, fully contextualized material.
   550. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 23, 2018 at 12:15 AM (#5677881)
That was an insidious move, although no one seriously thought it was a serious effort to destroy Amazon, let alone the WaPo, just to give the company's stock price a bloody nose.

This is embarrassing. And we haven’t come close to rock bottom.
   551. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 12:50 AM (#5677890)
This is embarrassing. And we haven’t come close to rock bottom.
Let us know when you've had an opportunity to look up "insidious" in the dictionary, MV.
   552. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 12:54 AM (#5677891)
I guess if you can stick up for Andrew Breitbart, you can stick up for any Daily Caller sleazeball the cat dragged in. Who's next on your list of Misunderstoods? Pam Geller? Donald Trump? (Oh, right....)
Oh dear. Did you forget to shake your fist at a passing cloud today?
   553. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 23, 2018 at 01:58 AM (#5677892)
Some observers think there are several scenarios in which Nancy Pelosi won't be Speaker of the House in the next Congress - 3 Ways Pelosi Won't Be Speaker Next Year:
Scenario 1: Democrats Don’t Win a Majority: If Democrats stumble, there is virtually no way Pelosi can continue as the minority leader, let alone be elected speaker again. House Assistant Minority Leader James E. Clyburn of South Carolina admitted as much last month, when he said the entire leadership team (presumably, himself included) should change in that scenario.

I covered that earlier, suggesting that's the only way the Dems could be rid of Pelosi. Maybe anti-Pelosi Dems should vote for GOP House candidates?
Scenario 2: Leaving on Her Own Terms: If Democrats take back the majority for the first time in nearly a decade, Pelosi could use it as an opportunity to go out on top. She could talk about reaching the mountaintop with her party in 2006 (becoming the first female speaker), admit that Democrats went into the valley, triumphantly declare a successful comeback with a new majority, and then announce her prompt exit. It might sound unlikely, but it’s probably her best option to go out on her own new terms.

I'm skeptical Pelosi would voluntarily abdicate if her party had just obtained a House majority, which brings up the 3rd scenario:
Scenario 3: Majority Isn’t Big Enough: If you take Pelosi at her word, she’s planning on Democrats winning the majority and running for speaker again. But quite simply, winning 218 seats in November won’t be enough for that to happen. She’s going to need her party to win potentially dozens more to bookend her career with the gavel.
. . .
If at least 35 Democrats who opposed her in the last leadership race vote to oppose her again, and there are at least 15 new members who can’t support her because of their campaign rhetoric and districts, Democrats would have to gain at least 60 seats because Pelosi would need 218 votes to become speaker, and not just a majority of her party.

Well, that assumes those Dems are elected, and won't abandon their symbolic anti-Pelosi stances under pressure from other Dems. Maybe they should sign a blood oath? The voters might like that.
   554. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 23, 2018 at 02:17 AM (#5677894)
Clapper needs these speculative fan fiction hypotheses to amuse himself, because his united happy family in the Republican House is boring, boring, boring.

Washington Post:
Speaker Paul D. Ryan is losing his grip on the feuding House Republican conference just months before pivotal midterm elections, caught between dueling factions vying for power inside the party and facing scattered calls for his departure ahead of a planned year-end retirement.

The unrest comes in the wake of a humiliating defeat for Ryan and other GOP leaders last week, when conservatives sank a farm bill amid a broader dispute over immigration policy, and threatens to spark months of bitter infighting as Republican lawmakers try to make the case that they should be returned to power in Washington.

But there is no clear way out for the party. Numerous aides and lawmakers said Tuesday there is not a viable alternative to Ryan who can win enough support within the GOP for a clean transition before November — and there is little stomach at the moment for the messy battle that would ensue when Ryan departs. “Whoever comes in is going to walk right into a buzz saw,” said Rep. David Joyce (R-Ohio), a Ryan supporter.

...All indications are that a speaker vote would be much more divisive for Republicans than for Democrats, who are defending relatively few competitive House seats.
   555. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 23, 2018 at 02:52 AM (#5677898)
Clapper needs these speculative fan fiction hypotheses to amuse himself, because his united happy family in the Republican House is boring, boring, boring.

I'm getting the distinct impression that BBTF-OTP Team Blue doesn't wish to talk about Nancy Pelosi. Why might that be?
   556. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 23, 2018 at 03:29 AM (#5677900)
You're so silly sometimes. Paul Ryan's GOP majority House has its knives out right now, today, not just for Paul Ryan, and they're slashing in a number of directions right now, today.

But you want to pretend that isn't as relevant or interesting right now, today, just like you pretended the day before Ryan quit that Ryan wasn't really being pressured to quit. While laughably accusing "Team Blue" of trying to downplay an awkward subject!

You'd really rather talk Pelosi? Okay, let's talk Pelosi. Here's my extravagant prediction: she will try to amass the votes to be Speaker again. But if she can't get the support lined up ahead of time, she won't run at all. See, unlike Paul Ryan and farm bills, Pelosi can count.

Care to make a do-over "Paul Ryan will remain lame duck Speaker for as long as he wants to" proclamation? Like Cinderella said, a wish is a dream your heart makes.
   557. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 23, 2018 at 05:48 AM (#5677903)
For those of you wondering why our favorite aspirational vigilante and fake lawyer Sub-Beta Blanks hasn’t been around as of late, I regret to pass along the unfortunate news.
   558. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 23, 2018 at 06:55 AM (#5677906)
Juan: "Isis claims Paddock was one of them so I believe it."

Trump: "Roy Moore says he didn't do it, so I believe him."

2 pieces of #### in the same toilet.
   559. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 23, 2018 at 07:07 AM (#5677907)
Netflix has hired a well-known Kenyan Muslim communist who supports the terrorists who hate us and want to kill us because of our freedoms.

Fortunately, the sane among us are taking this well.

BENGHAZI!

Investment advice + picture of ape

He’s a Muslim! And his wife is a man!

DEEP STATE! DEEP STATE!

(((SOROS))) (((SOROS))) (((SOROS)))

Build the wall! Seems a little out of place, but ok.

It’s like they gave him a third term as President!

#cannibalhillary

He’s a homo!

Obama has murdered millions!

Blame Netflix for school shootings!

Did I mention (((SOROS))) (((SOROS))) (((SOROS)))?

You want to know why I have 7 Twitter accounts? So I can do a more comprehensive job of mocking these people.
   560. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 23, 2018 at 07:46 AM (#5677908)
Trump lickspittle Jim Jordan, on CNN this morning, referred to Rod Rosenstein as "RosenSTEEN". You may remember an interview where Rosenstein was asked how he pronounces his name (he answered "RosenSTINE"). Yet, the Trumpkins continually, purposely mispronounce his name. Is it disrespect? Of course. (Also, see Roger Stone pronouncing Robert Mueller's name as "Mewler".)

In Heller's Good as Gold, Bruce Gold had an antagonist who willfully called Gold "Goldfarb", "Goldberg", "Goldstein", "Goldman", etc (and sometimes in the same conversation).

Heller used that gag to signify the antagonist's anti-semitism.

Trump's base eats this #### up for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in between snacks.
   561. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 23, 2018 at 07:51 AM (#5677909)
Trump lickspittle Jim Jordan, on CNN this morning, referred to Rod Rosenstein as "RosenSTEEN". You may remember an interview where Rosenstein was asked how he pronounces his name (he answered "RosenSTINE"). Yet, the Trumpkins continually, purposely mispronounce his name. Is it disrespect? Of course. (Also, see Roger Stone pronouncing Robert Mueller's name as "Mewler".)
I see Bivens hasn't gotten any less dumb. Stick to talking about monkeys; at least those posts don't pretend to make sense.
   562. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 23, 2018 at 07:55 AM (#5677910)

This is what you are going with? Honestly? Years later you are still bringing up the bogus "Obama spied on reporters" nonsense and you shrug off the POTUS blatantly trying to influence a media company by attacking a related company and costing the owners of that company millions or billions of dollars. Calling it a "bloody nose" is enough to make you shrug.

And yes I know what insidious means, calling it that doesn't mean you get to shrug and move on pretending that GOP President Trump is now in the clear, because hey, who cares about bloody noses.
   563. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 23, 2018 at 08:01 AM (#5677912)
Netflix has hired a well-known Kenyan Muslim communist who supports the terrorists who hate us and want to kill us because of our freedoms.

Fortunately, the sane among us are taking this well.

BENGHAZI!

Investment advice + picture of ape

He’s a Muslim! And his wife is a man!

DEEP STATE! DEEP STATE!

Build the wall! Seems a little out of place, but ok.

It’s like they gave him a third term as President!

#cannibalhillary

He’s a homo!

Obama has murdered millions!

Blame Netflix for school shootings!

Did I mention (((SOROS))) (((SOROS))) (((SOROS)))?

You want to know why I have 7 Twitter accounts? So I can do a more comprehensive job of mocking these people.

The only way you could've improved on that would've been to post some of their names. My favorite was "Spangle Kankle the Shitposting Sprinkler".

And the picture of that "Obama Has Murdered Millions" woman who's doing a ballet pose on a giant log while staring at the Sun is pretty sporty as well.
   564. Lassus Posted: May 23, 2018 at 08:05 AM (#5677913)
A longtime liberal, and he voted for Hillary, in fact.

This is not EVIDENCE of liberalism, it's evidence of brain activity.
   565. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 23, 2018 at 08:08 AM (#5677914)

Oh dear. Did you forget to shake your fist at a passing cloud today?

It's always sunny in Kensington, but I'll bet you've already had your daily bouquet of flowers sent to your hero's grave. Joe Dimaggio would be proud of you for emulating his tradition.
   566. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 23, 2018 at 08:16 AM (#5677917)
I'm getting the distinct impression that BBTF-OTP Team Blue doesn't wish to talk about Nancy Pelosi. Why might that be?

Tell you what: You own up to Donald Trump's racism and misogyny and I'll discuss any 10 Nancy Pelosi plots to destroy America. Deal?

EDIT: The same offer is extended to JE, and if either of you want to substitute The Odious Sidney Blumenthal for Nancy The Witch, I'll accept that in the spirit of compromise.
   567. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 23, 2018 at 08:16 AM (#5677918)
I see Bivens hasn't gotten any less dumb. Stick to talking about monkeys; at least those posts don't pretend to make sense.

Listen, I know you have a lonely lap since your Charlie McCarthy Ray left you, but don't take it out on me, Edgar.
   568. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:00 AM (#5677926)
Years later you are still bringing up the bogus "Obama spied on reporters" nonsense
Why is it nonsense? Show your work.
because hey, who cares about bloody noses.
Except I didn't say "who cares." I said that it wasn't credible evidence of an attempt to shut down the Washington Post.
   569. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:05 AM (#5677928)

Yeah!! Prove it didn't happen!
   570. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:05 AM (#5677930)
EDIT: The same offer is extended to JE, and if either of you want to substitute The Odious Sidney Blumenthal for Nancy The Witch, I'll accept that in the spirit of compromise.
Andy, my weather app indicates a cumulus cloud is gathering over Gaithersburg. Got your fist ready?
   571. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:07 AM (#5677933)
Except I didn't say "who cares." I said that it wasn't credible evidence of an attempt to shut down the Washington Post.

Because it's perfectly acceptable and normal for a POTUS to say things publicly that financially harms a private enterprise. NOTHING TO SEE HERE!
   572. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:08 AM (#5677934)
Tell you what: You own up to Donald Trump's racism and misogyny and I'll discuss any 10 Nancy Pelosi plots to destroy America. Deal?

Andy, my weather app indicates a cumulus cloud is gathering over Gaithersburg. Got your fist ready?

Translation: You're about as willing to deal frankly with Trump's racism and misogyny as that DC City Councilman is willing to address his support of Farrakhan. And pretty much for the same reason.
   573. zenbitz Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:09 AM (#5677935)
WT actual F. Just went though security at JFK (to YYZ). They unpacked my bag and too my copy of the book from the new Met exhibit (Heavenly Bodies) out of shrink wrap and rifled the pages.

Fukkin security theater. It's not 2004 anymore, dudes.
   574. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:11 AM (#5677936)
I'll bet you've already had your daily bouquet of flowers sent to your hero's grave.
Doxxing the gravesite of a friend now? Gotta admit that I didn't see that pathetic #### coming...

Funny how you burst blood vessels merely thinking of Andrew while regularly engaging in pleasantries with plainspoken bigots like Joe[y] B and Morty.
   575. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:16 AM (#5677939)
YYZ
WTF is up with the "YYZ" code for Pearson? I get that Canada mandates that all airports start their codes with "Y" but what's up with the next two letters?
   576. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:18 AM (#5677940)
Given Clapper had shown such intense interest in it previously, I'm surprised he hasn't yet commented on the TX-7 primary...

As regular Clapper readers may recall, I believe he said it would be "worth watching" -- as an insurgent journalist/activist was attempting to knock off the preferred DCCC candidate. In any case, the preferred DCCC candidate, Lizzie Fletcher, easily dispatched Laura Moser, winning 69% of the vote and the primary outright. She'll take on endangered Republican John Culberson in the fall.

It was not a total washout for Clapper's preference of progressive underdogs, though... Amy McGrath slipped past Jim Gray in the KY-6 primary. Though in this case, the DCCC made it increasingly clear they'd be good with either candidate (something Jim Gray probably wishes the DCCC had told him before nudging him to jump into the primary). If you haven't seen McGrath's video, it's worth a look - in addition to her litany of firsts as a Marine fighter pilot, she's also got a Masters in international and global security from Johns Hopkins.... and you'll also note that she proudly wears the Democratic label and the issue she made her centerpiece? Healthcare - and saving Obamacare. I have a feeling we'll be hearing from her again (Democrats are already talking her up as a challenger to Mitch McConnell in 2020... though, of late - GOP leaders have a tendency to quit rather than run again).

Finally, the other big news was Stacey Abrams becoming the first African-American woman to secure a gubernatorial nomination - easily besting her more moderate opponent. Given that, of all the Democratic challengers who beat the spread but lost - John Ossoff, trying to run as a moderate nonpartisan - was the bottom of the swings list, probably the right choice to try to get that elusive "last 5 points". Her opponent is still TBD, as Casey Cagle and the infamous Brian Kemp are still trying to out-crazy each other for another round.

577. Lassus Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:20 AM (#5677942)
plainspoken bigots like Joe[y] B

Bivens?
   578. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:20 AM (#5677943)
Andrew

Still sitting Shiva, juan?
   579. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:21 AM (#5677944)
Yeah, Lassus, he's butthurt because I think some Zionists are racist.
   580. Lassus Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:23 AM (#5677946)
the new Met exhibit (Heavenly Bodies) out of shrink wrap and rifled the pages.

Well, if this was the cover, I can kinda see why that may have happened.
   581. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:24 AM (#5677948)
Bivens?
How would you describe repeatedly calling someone a "racist Zionist pig" -- and Israel wasn't even the topic of conversation?
   582. Greg K Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5677950)
WTF is up with the "YYZ" code for Pearson? I get that Canada mandates that all airports start their codes with "Y" but what's up with the next two letters?

The story I've always heard is that the second two letters are based on the old weather reporting telegraph stations. Toronto is actually TZ, but Pearson is outside of Toronto, where the code was YZ. The first "Y" is added to the front as an indicator that "Yes, an airport is here".

Though that really just pushes back the question to, why was Malton's weather reporting telegraph code "YZ"?

But I have no idea how accurate any of that non-answer is.

583. Lassus Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5677952)
butthurt because I think some Zionists are racist.

Not sure how that qualifies as bigotry, but I probably shouldn't get involved.

What do you call repeatedly calling someone a "racist Zionist pig" -- and Israel wasn't even the topic of conversation?

I see I was correct (about me). I don't know, and I shouldn't get involved.
   584. zenbitz Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5677956)
@580 it was tastefully plain off white.
   585. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:30 AM (#5677957)
On the R side -

Should be noted that Mike Pence got another black eye - he had waded into the TX-5 primary to back lobbyist Bunni Pounds. Pounds also had the backing of Club for Growth, Ted Cruz, and Tea Party chief whack Mark Meadows.

Alas, it's back to Bunny books, as Bunni the candidate lost by 6 points.
   586. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:34 AM (#5677960)

I don't generally assume the worst in Presidents. Yes, even Trump, who I have repeatedly and clearly stated that people need to calm down regarding the way-to-soon impeachment talk about. So yeah, my memory suggests the Obama personally wire-tapped reporters to be utter nonsense which fizzled out. If you want it to be more than that you are the one who needs to show his work.

So is that the right place to peg your outrage meter? It wasn't really an attempt to shut the entire newspaper down, unlike his previous threats wanting to pull the licenses of media giving Trump bad press. Nope this is just a threat potentially costing the owner of the newspaper millions of dollars, but it totally wouldn't completely shut down the paper, so nothing untoward there.

Come on dude. Just condemn the action without any caveats. Many of us did it against Obama on a variety of subjects, including the notorious drone warfare. You don't actually have to backstop the GOP administration at every juncture. Clapper has that covered here, so you have a little leeway to occasionally say "Yeah, that behavior is not OK."

I mean if you really think it is OK behavior then don't do so, you have to be you, but half measures and "gee it was kind of bad, but not super bad" silliness is beneath you I would hope.
   587. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:36 AM (#5677961)
Israel wasn't even the topic of conversation?

It's ALWAYS the underlying topic of conversation with you, Juan. Trump's willingness to take on Iran is the reason you love him. Trump and Bibi are your 2 pin up boys.

588. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:38 AM (#5677965)
In Only the Best People News -
Kris Kobach has yet again been smacked down by the courts for failure to follow what lawyers tell me are pretty color-by-the-numbers procedures. This #### up is different from the previous 31 instances where the court told him to get his head out of his ass in the same case...
   589. zenbitz Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:45 AM (#5677967)
Also... No TSAPre at JFK (at least international terminal).. Fukkin NY is so precious.
   590. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:49 AM (#5677968)
Also... No TSAPre at JFK (at least international terminal).. Fukkin NY is so precious.
I used TSAPre at Terminal 1 two weeks ago.
   591. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:50 AM (#5677970)
I'll bet you've already had your daily bouquet of flowers sent to your hero's grave.

Doxxing the gravesite of a friend now? Gotta admit that I didn't see that pathetic #### coming...

I'll chalk that bizarre friendship up to tribal loyalty, and I don't mean Jewish. Personally I'd prefer the friendship of Shirley Sherrod.

Funny how you burst blood vessels merely thinking of Andrew while regularly engaging in pleasantries with plainspoken bigots like Joe[y] B and Morty.

Bivens is no more of a racist than you are, and whenever Morty's gone off the deep end on the subject I've repeatedly pushed back at him.

Which is a lot more than you've ever done in pushing back against Trump's racism or misogyny. The only things he could've done to make you waver would have been to renege on his promises about the Iran deal or the embassy move. Everything else is "What of it?" or "What about Hillary?"
   592. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5677971)
Come on dude. Just condemn the action without any caveats.
Excuse me? You still haven't explained why, all of the news reports showing it happened, you handwaved away the Obama administration's targeting of reporters. Let's see *you* ####### condemn something for a change, *even if* they're accompanied by caveats.
   593. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5677972)
@realdonaldtrump:
Our Trade Deal with China is moving along nicely, but in the end we will probably have to use a different structure in that this will be too hard to get done and to verify results after completion.

With the passing of Philip Roth (RIP), the intellectual leader of the Republican Party can now rightly take his place as this country's greatest writer. Proud day for the Republicans here (smile).
   594. BDC Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5677974)
I had a pleasant flight DFW-DEN yesterday. Weird thing about being in Colorado is that unless the Rockies are at home, all the ballgames start at off times: 11am, 5pm, 8pm.

I base my impressions of places on offbeat criteria.
   595. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:56 AM (#5677975)
Bivens is no more of a racist

*Pedant alert* There's a difference between being a bigot and being a racist.

He is a racist. He wants to see Iranians and Palestinians murdered.

He calls me a bigot because I call him out on his racism.
   596. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:56 AM (#5677976)
Bivens is no more of a racist than you are,
Find a single racial epithet I've uttered, Andy, but whatev. That cloud must be overhead by now. Get to work.
   597. Stormy JE Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:57 AM (#5677977)
The story I've always heard is that the second two letters are based on the old weather reporting telegraph stations. Toronto is actually TZ, but Pearson is outside of Toronto, where the code was YZ. The first "Y" is added to the front as an indicator that "Yes, an airport is here".

Though that really just pushes back the question to, why was Malton's weather reporting telegraph code "YZ"?

But I have no idea how accurate any of that non-answer is.
Yeah, that doesn't help much. :) Thanks, all the same!
   598. Zonk is a cagey fellow Posted: May 23, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5677979)
Find a single racial epithet I've uttered, Andy, but whatev. That cloud must be overhead by now. Get to work.

Not really interested in going back to re-watch, but I'm pretty sure Aaron Schlossberg dropped nary a single epithet in any of his rants.

And in all the Chuck Ross posts I quoted, I see no epithets either.

Maybe usage of epithets isn't the only marker...
   599. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 23, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5677980)
Excuse me? You still haven't explained why, all of the news reports showing it happened, you handwaved away the Obama administration's targeting of reporters. Let's see *you* ####### condemn something for a change, even if accompanied by caveats.

I - and many others here - spent a fair amount of time discussing where we differed from Obama, so yeah you might want to look in the archives or maybe just your memory. Here is a hint: Drone Warfare. A second one: Syria. A third: Civil Rights. A fourth: His desire to bargain away Social Security in a grand bargain. There are more.

In any event my memory of the completely blown out of proportion tapping reporters "scandal" is that it was much ado about nothing at all. You clearly remember it differently. If you really want to shift the burden here to those defending the President and are willing to declare so in simple straight forward terms then I will accept the burden of defending Obama and all his "scandals", but you get Trump. Somehow I would be willing to make that trade, but I suspect you are not.

So until that comes to pass feel free to show your work regarding Obama and his wire tap scandal. I'll wait.
   600. Joe Bivens will never admit, will make some excuse Posted: May 23, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5677981)
Find a single racial epithet I've uttered, Andy, but whatev.

You're a weasel and a ######### if you think that the only way you can be judged a racist is by "uttering epithets". Moron.

edit...Bah. You like Coca Cola, Zonk?
Page 6 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.