Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

OTP 2018 May 28: Don’t turn down WH invitation: Former Nats manager on Powerhouse Politics podcast

“Baseball is not about politics, it’s just about going out and enjoying the game,” Johnson says of his experience managing a team in the nation’s capital in comparison with managing teams elsewhere, such as the New York Mets, Cincinnati Reds and the Philadelphia Phillies.

Games at Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., are often a “who’s who” of the political world, including Supreme Court justices, leading Democratic and Republican congressional leaders and high-profile media figures. Johnson says when they come to the game, they put aside politics.

“You don’t think about politics you just think about baseball,” Johnson says about the unifying nature of professional baseball in the nation’s capital.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:50 AM | 1257 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, old man yells at cloud, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 13 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. McCoy Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:56 AM (#5681195)
Don't do it.
   2. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5681200)
Do it!
   3. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:18 AM (#5681215)
Two Supreme Court decisions today, but not on the major cases everyone is waiting on, just one unanimous decision and another 8-1 case. Thirty cases remain, with decisions likely on every Monday in June.
   4. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:29 AM (#5681228)
I'm back. Didja miss me?
   5. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5681243)
Trump hits China with $50B tariffs, investment restrictions

The move, which the White House announced Tuesday morning, comes just over a week after Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the trade war between the two countries was “on hold” and will ratchet up tensions just before Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is set to arrive in Beijing this week for further talks.

Beijing has already pledged to retaliate against the 25 percent tariffs, which the White House said will specifically target Chinese imports “containing industrially significant technology, including those related to the ‘Made in China 2025’ program.” The list of targeted goods will be announced by June 15 and imposed shortly after, the White House said.

Reckless, Republican, and incompetent is no way to go through life, son.
   6. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:51 AM (#5681247)
Can you believe Mueller is going to meddle in the midterm elections by continuing to indict Trumpkins?
   7. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 11:10 AM (#5681278)
Previous thread, 1321

A glance at Donald Trump's Twitter feed is enough to show that the president does not have a firm grasp of punctuation and tends to capitalize words arbitrarily. By comparison, the form letter that Yvonne Mason received from Trump, which presumably was written by a staffer on his behalf, is a model of care. Yet Mason, a retired English teacher in Atlanta, thought the letter was so riddled with errors that she marked it up, posted a photo of it on Facebook, and sent the "corrected" version back to the White House. I know about this incident only because The New York Times thought it was worth a story, as part of a continuing series on what a huge doofus the president is.

Don't get me wrong. The president is a huge doofus. But Mason's markup of his letter does not reinforce that point. In fact, none of Mason's corrections is correct, although there are at least two mistakes in the letter that she neglected to note. Mason's showy but erroneous pedantry illustrates the tendency of Trump's opponents to cast policy disagreements as questions of competence and to delight in everything that reflects badly on him, even when that thing is not, strictly speaking, true. These tendencies, which mirror Trump's own fondness for ad hominem attacks and recklessness with facts, alienate potential allies while confirming his supporters' conviction that he is sticking it to a supercilious elite that holds them in contempt.

Emphasis mine. You just could as easily have slid Obama's name in there 2 years ago and been just as right.

See? Whataboutism can be fun!

8. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 11:17 AM (#5681287)
Don't get me wrong, Trump is a huge doofus...

Don't get me wrong, Trump is not a role model for me kids...

Don't get me wrong, that's not how I would say it...

Don't get me wrong....

He's the Don't Get Me Wrong President!
   9. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5681298)
BUT HER EMAILS
   10. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5681311)
   11. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 29, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5681314)
Can you believe Mueller is going to meddle in the midterm elections by continuing to indict Trumpkins?
How are they supposed to win if Mueller keeps arresting his best people? Not fair. So mean. Bad!!
   12. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:04 PM (#5681328)
Beloved conservative icon and member of the Hollywood elite, Roseanne, is making waves:

@thewrap:
Roseanne Rips Ex-Obama Aide Valerie Jarrett: 'Muslim Brotherhood & Planet of the Apes Had a Child’ https://goo.gl/6TUPk

@KurtSchlichter
Liberals desperately want to silence @therealroseanne because the cannot tolerate any dissent.
   13. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5681330)
“muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,

But, you know... it's somebody else's fault and we should endeavor to understand the Trumpkins and sympathize with them.

EDIT: coke
   14. Lassus Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:10 PM (#5681336)
If you stopped calling them racists, they'd stop being racist. Ask Ray.
   15. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:25 PM (#5681359)
Thirty cases remain, with decisions likely on every Monday in June.

That should have been 29 cases - the Court also dismissed one case today as "improvidently granted", which I omitted from the count. The Court might also release decisions on as yet unscheduled days, if needed.
   16. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:32 PM (#5681366)
"If Obama had done something to stop the collusion that totally didn't happen"...

"Blame the D's for all the lost children that now my administration is saying are not really lost or separated but given to 'sponsors' who don't answer the phone when we call to check up on them...but blame the D's anyway"...

Dancing Monkeys eat this #### up with large spoons. They eat ####, in general.
   17. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:34 PM (#5681368)
Didja see Rosanne accuse Soros of being a Nazi collaborator during WWII...when he was 12 years old? Yeah, it's on Twitter. Of course.
   18. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:42 PM (#5681378)
Didja see Rosanne accuse Soros of being a Nazi collaborator during WWII...when he was 12 years old?

I believe our own Juan has made the same argument at some point.
   19. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:44 PM (#5681379)
That's a common one. She also said Chelsea Clinton is married to Soros' nephew (she's not). Just another day under Republicans' love affair with stars of film and television.
   20. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5681391)
Ted Nugent and Roseanne Barr had a baby = Donald Trump.
   21. Traderdave Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5681395)
Leona Helmsley & Biff Tannen had a baby = Donald Trump
   22. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5681399)
My 600 lb Lb. Life and Corky from Life Goes On had a baby = Donald Trump
   23. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:24 PM (#5681403)

She also said Chelsea Clinton is married to Soros' nephew (she's not).
Well, (((they))) all look alike.
   24. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:27 PM (#5681405)
Corky from Life Goes On

Stop it.
   25. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:27 PM (#5681407)
She also said Chelsea Clinton is married to Soros' nephew (she's not).

Well, (((they))) all look alike.

I thought that ((((Soros)))) rated an extra ellipse for having personally written the Protocols of Zion.
   26. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:27 PM (#5681409)
Everything Bad and Everything Ridiculous had a baby = Donald Trump
   27. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:33 PM (#5681410)
Corky from Life Goes On

Stop it.

Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys?
   28. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5681414)
Not to be dismissive or crass, but Roseanne has had a lengthy and well-documented history of mental illness.
   29. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5681415)
Speaking of mental illness ...

An Illinois Republican candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives believes 9/11 was an inside job and Beyonce is a member of the illuminati, according to a report from CNN.

Bill Fawell, a real estate broker who is running against incumbent Democratic Rep. Cheri Bustos for Illinois’ 17th District, secured a spot on the ballot for November after an uncontested primary. The district voted overwhelmingly for Bustos in 2016 but also narrowly for Trump.

In rantings on blogs, as well as in a 2012 book, Fawell supported many popular conspiracy theories, including that 9/11 was an inside job. According to his arguments, a controlled explosion demolished the 7 World Trade Center tower in order to destroy secret CIA documents.

He also believes in the widespread practice of a satanist cult among those in power, along with a theory that contends that the illuminati run the country through powerful and influential public figures.

In a blog post in which he encouraged everyone to watch the Animal Planet Puppy Bowl instead of the Super Bowl—therefore withholding support for “godless” illuminati-associated Beyonce in the year she performed the halftime show—he called Madonna “the high priestess of Kabbala, that ever narcissist skank with the crooked teeth” and referred to Beyonce’s husband as “Beyonce’s cretin friend/manager/squeeze Jay-Z???”

Slate
   30. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5681419)
Speaking of mental illness ...

Man... quite a slate the Illinois GOP has put together.

They've put together a press release stating in part "at least this one isn't an actual Nazi.... that we know of."
   31. zenbitz Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:43 PM (#5681420)
Beyonce is a member of the illuminati

Well, I'll give him that.
   32. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5681424)
Rosanne canceled by ABC.
   33. Howie Menckel Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5681425)
ABC has now canceled Barr's TV show

cue people on Twitter claiming her "First Amendment rights were violated" in 3-2-1.....
   34. BDC Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5681426)
He also believes in the widespread practice of a satanist cult among those in power, along with a theory that contends that the illuminati run the country through powerful and influential public figures.

In a blog post in which he encouraged everyone to watch the Animal Planet Puppy Bowl instead of the Super Bowl—therefore withholding support for “godless” illuminati-associated Beyonce in the year she performed the halftime show—he called Madonna “the high priestess of Kabbala, that ever narcissist skank with the crooked teeth” and referred to Beyonce’s husband as “Beyonce’s cretin friend/manager/squeeze Jay-Z???”

Yes, but be fair, there must be a Democratic candidate or two who wouldn't object to raising taxes, believes that government services don't necessarily have to be run like businesses, and might have used the term "intersectionality" on occasion. So you see, the crazy balances perfectly.
   35. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5681427)
Well, I'll give him that.

Well, she is glittery.
   36. perros Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5681430)
How School Shootings Catch On

Trump's Right Hand Troll

Between these two pieces was a short book review of Asperger's Children that might lead you to conclude our society has birthed an underground army of Boys from Brazil...
   37. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5681431)
Rosanne canceled by ABC.

Shows what Political Correctness has come to. Why wouldn't ABC want a vile and racist creep to be associated with their network?

Seriously, this woman needs help, and a lot of it. I never understood her appeal to begin with, but maybe that's just me.
   38. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 01:57 PM (#5681435)
cue people on Twitter claiming her "First Amendment rights were violated" in 3-2-1.....

By the same people stupid enough to vote for Trump.

39. Traderdave Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5681442)
I never understood her appeal to begin with, but maybe that's just me.

She's Donald Trump with tits.
   40. canadian shield Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5681444)

She's Donald Trump with bigger tits.
   41. perros Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5681445)
C'mon, Trump has much bigger bosoms.

Have you guys not figured out you're not exactly a cross-section of America yet?
   42. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:05 PM (#5681446)
I don't really care if ABC cancels a sitcom I don't watch anyway, but it makes the right people angry so I support it.

That's how things work now, right?
   43. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5681447)
Have you guys not figured out you're not exactly a cross-section of America yet?

Sure we are. America is a big country.
   44. Lassus Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5681451)

I had thought this occurred prior to this incident anyhow.

45. Lassus Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5681453)
Also, shut up, hippie.
   46. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5681454)
'No evidence' FBI spied on Trump campaign, Republican says, contrary to president's claims

Republican Sen. Marco Rubio said he sees "no evidence" to support President Trump's claims that the FBI used an informant to gather information on his campaign, but that instead the federal probe was focused on "individuals with a history of links to Russia that were concerning."

"What I have seen is evidence that they were investigating individuals with a history of links to Russia that were concerning," Rubio, a Florida senator who sits on the Senate Intelligence Committee told ABC News Chief Global Affairs Correspondent and "This Week" Co-Anchor Martha Raddatz on Sunday.

Just another Democratic stooge in the pocket of Clinton, but still I blame Obama.
   47. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5681458)

Probably the fact that she couldn't even manage a pr-agency-caliber apology didn't help: "I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me-my joke was in bad taste."

"I am sorry I made a bad joke about her looks" is not really where she should have gone with that.
   48. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5681461)
cue people on Twitter claiming her "First Amendment rights were violated" in 3-2-1..

The odds that one of them will be Trump have to be pretty good.
   49. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5681464)
Probably the fact that she couldn't even manage a pr-agency-caliber apology didn't help: "I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me-my joke was in bad taste."

Well, her first draft apology was "I just think she looks like Roddy McDowall and I now realize it's only been 20 years since he passed... Too soon."
   50. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5681466)
Seriously, this woman needs help, and a lot of it.

Preferably administered with a shovel upside the head.
   51. . Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5681469)
These private firings for speech do in fact violate the spirit of the First Amendment, and very much so. (And the same principle would apply, for example, to the NFL's national anthem policy and the blackballing of Kapernick and Eric Reid.)

The Bill of Rights aren't there merely to protect us against government, to be given as crimped an interpretation as possible, but to continually educate us about the substantive importance of the rights protected. Where the choice is between individual conscience and expression on the one hand, and craven corporate PR interests on the other hand, we are to properly prefer individual conscience and expression. We didn't, after all, let racist restaurant owners in the Jim Crow south point to their customers' feelings when we rightly demanded that they didn't exclude blacks. Same principle applies to the NFL and ABC.

There's an illiberal wind very much afoot in the United States -- and under no rational circumstance is it primarily blowing from the White House or the piehole of Donald Trump.
   52. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5681470)
Syntax heard from...
   53. Traderdave Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5681472)
ABC is not restricting Roseanne's free speech in any way. They're simply choosing to not do business with her. She can still tweet, write letters to the editor, and stand on a soapbox anywhere she likes.
   54. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5681474)
I give #51 1.5 bridges. A mediocre effort, but the seeds of a good troll are present.
   55. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5681475)
ABC is not restricting Roseanne's free speech in any way. They're simply choosing to not do business with her. She can still tweet, write letters to the editor, and stand on a soapbox anywhere she likes.

Syntax thinks the world sorely lacks more avenues for conspiracy theorists to compare black people to apes.

That's how syntax rolls.
   56. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5681476)
These private firings for speech do in fact violate the spirit of the First Amendment, and very much so. (And the same principle would apply, for example, to the NFL's national anthem policy and the blackballing of Kapernick and Eric Reid.)

The Bill of Rights aren't there merely to protect us against government, to be given as crimped an interpretation as possible, but to continually educate us about the substantive importance of the rights protected. Where the choice is between individual conscience and expression on the one hand, and craven corporate PR interests on the other hand, we are to properly prefer individual conscience and expression. We didn't, after all, let racist restaurant owners in the Jim Crow south point to their customers' feelings when we rightly demanded that they didn't exclude blacks. Same principle applies to the NFL and ABC.

There's an illiberal wind very much afoot in the United States -- and under no rational circumstance is it primarily blowing from the White House or the piehole of Donald Trump.

Is this SBB?
   57. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5681479)
Oh, SBB, STFU. She isn't going to jail because of her comments. Her employer decided she was a liability. They have every right to can her.

The Kapernick thing is a bit different. The NFL blackballed him because he chose to protest while he was working. If he was fired for protesting police brutality/racism on his on time, the NFL would have a hard time, PR wise, explaining why they would essentially fire him.
   58. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5681481)
FOX News seems to agree that ABC had to fire her. (Howard Kurtz)
   59. Traderdave Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5681483)
FOX News seems to agree that ABC had to fire her. (Howard Kurtz)

Before happy hour today Fox will be filled with Roseanne-is-being-censored-1st-amendment pearl clutching.
   60. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5681484)
Syntax heard from...

Sorry, but he started off as "The Id" for me, and so he shall remain.

Though I do admit, the actual id of Larvell "Sugar Bear" Blanks is probably a much more pleasant companion than its BBTF incarnation ...
   61. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5681486)

She's Donald Trump with bigger tits.

Citation please.
   62. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5681487)
Is this SBB?

AKA ... Stretchy, FLTB, Bear, Id, and I guess Syntax. many names, but only one troll.

EDIT: And please don't quote it, it only encourages it.
   63. . Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5681488)
Oh, SBB, STFU. She isn't going to jail because of her comments. Her employer decided she was a liability. They have every right to can her.

Never suggested otherwise. But the logical fallacy there is that everything someone has a right to do is somehow good or beneficial.

Maybe try reading what I wrote again and actually digesting it and engaging it. Doesn't have to be out loud.
   64. Lassus Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5681490)
Someone named Andy Borowitz (not snark, I don't know who anyone is):
White House in Panic Mode After TV Star With Racist Twitter Feed Loses Job
   65. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5681491)
Seriously, this woman needs help, and a lot of it.

Preferably administered with a shovel upside the head.
I do feel sorry... for the other cast members on the show.
   66. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5681492)
Trump's Right Hand Troll

Stephen Miller is a dickbag who cannot be indicted soon enough for my liking.
   67. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5681493)

Before happy hour today Fox will be filled with Roseanne-is-being-censored-1st-amendment pearl clutching.

I don't think so. They've been pretty consistent for the past 15 minutes or so, saying that this is a loss for Trump, and that he'd be smart not to mention it at his rally tonight in Nashville (but they aren't sure if he won't mention it).
   68. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5681494)

And she's free to drop her "--" beard and post here under her real name.
   69. Traderdave Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5681495)
Is it just me, or does Stephen Miller bear a passing resemblance to Josef Goebbels?
   70. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5681497)
Borowitz is kind of a poor man's Onion. Anyway, executive time is going to be lit today.
   71. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5681498)

Where the choice is between individual conscience and expression on the one hand, and craven corporate PR interests on the other hand, we are to properly prefer individual conscience and expression.

Roseanne is free to make all the backwardass, racist comments she wants. ABC is just as free to not pay her anymore.

EDIT: Frosty mug to TraderDave.
   72. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5681500)
White House in Panic Mode After TV Star With Racist Twitter Feed Loses Job

Borowitz is a New Yorker humor writer whose talent pretty much begins and ends with writing headlines. It also doesn't help that the New Yorker feels it necessary to label his columns "Satire", although these days with Trump it's admittedly hard to tell satire from reality.
   73. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:48 PM (#5681501)
But the logical fallacy there is that everything someone has a right to do is somehow good or beneficial.

Like saying a black woman was birthed by Planet of the Apes, for example?
   74. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:48 PM (#5681502)
Is it just me, or does Stephen Miller bear a passing resemblance to Josef Goebbels?

He could be twins with Pauly Shore.

Jebus, I just insulted Pauly Shore in that comparison.
   75. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5681503)
individual conscience and expression

Well, I guess that's one way of categorizing a rambling racist tweet.
   76. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5681504)
   77. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5681506)
Anyway, executive time is going to be lit today.

Odds that panicked calls from the WH to Fox News begging them to avoid dwelling on it?
   78. Blastin Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5681507)
Borowitz is a New Yorker humor writer whose talent pretty much begins and ends with writing headlines. It also doesn't help that the New Yorker feels it necessary to label his columns "Satire", although these days with Trump it's admittedly hard to tell satire from reality.

He also co-created and was one of the main writers on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, somehow. Yes, really
But now he makes satirical headlines for the New Yorker (used to be Newsweek, NYer bought his column in 2012).

79. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5681508)

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

He looks like the lovechild of Josef Goebbels and Roy Cohn.
   80. . Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5681509)
Seemingly against all odds, the circle jerk is apparently getting circle jerkier by the day.
   81. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5681510)
Don Jr. reteweeting Roseanne's anti-semitism. Normal stuff.

Well, dude's back on the market...
   82. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5681512)
NEWSMAX, on the other hand, is airing calls from viewers responding to the cancellation.

One of the hosts is trying desperately to get the callers to defend Rosanne, and is succeeding!

NEWSMAX is FOX on steroids.
   83. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5681513)
Don Jr. reteweeting Roseanne's anti-semitism. Normal stuff.

I wouldn't put it past Li'l Donnie, but I'd want to wait for a bit more confirmation before jumping all over that.
   84. Lassus Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5681514)
Seemingly against all odds, the circle jerk is apparently getting circle jerkier by the day.

What exactly is the proper liberal response to this particular Twitter rant, then?
   85. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5681517)
Well, dude's back on the market...

Speaking of the market.....At this moment I think that Li'l Donnie's daddy would probably rather be talking about Roseanne.
   86. . Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5681518)
Well, I guess that's one way of categorizing a rambling racist tweet.

Yeah, actually it is. Tweets are "expression." They express things the writer wants to express ... therefore they're "expression."

This really isn't difficult.

But in any event, there's no reason whatsoever for any confidence that you and yours would stop at tweets like this ... so a proper commitment to free speech means you don't even get tweets like this. In different circumstances, I might think otherwise, but in this environment where people like the quoted writer sees "racism" in cloud patterns -- no way.

Sorry. You want people to take you seriously, fix your own house. It's badly broken.
   87. BDC Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5681519)
Andy Borowitz is to the Onion as Mark Russell is to Tom Lehrer.
   88. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5681524)
Never suggested otherwise.

Yes, you did, you lunatic. You said that corporations shouldn't have the right to fire someone who defames their brand through their speech. You are insane.
   89. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5681526)

On the one hand, we don't want to encourage people to go around finding offensive (or putatively offensive) things someone said and then trying to get those people fired. That won't end well for anyone. On the other hand, private individuals -- unlike the government -- are allowed to draw distinctions between things that are merely outré and things that are genuinely awful. On the third hand, when I say private individuals are allowed to draw such distinctions, I do not mean that they will do a competent job of doing so. (The hysteria over kneeling NFL players is a good example of the right's stupidity in that regard; the hysteria over Kevin Williamson is a good example of the left's.)

In this instance, (a) it's not like this is a first offense for Roseanne; (b) it's not like someone had to hunt down an obscure thing she said 20 years ago, or reveal a private communication. She tweeted it; and (c) Roseanne works worked in a speech industry, and indeed made politics part of her marketing effort, so she can't pretend like this was unrelated to her job.
   90. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5681528)

Are you trying to shame us into not e-speaking? I am expressing my individual conscience. Is this an attempt to stifle dialogue an example of the illiberal wind blowing across the baseball think factory?
   91. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5681530)
ABC made a business decision, Bear. Nothing more, nothing less. Rosie's ratings were circling the drain anyway.

BTW, how are those Duck Dynasty guys doing these days?
   92. manchestermets Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5681533)
I wouldn't put it past Li'l Donnie, but I'd want to wait for a bit more confirmation before jumping all over that.

At the time of writing, the second and third items on his Twitter feed
   93. Srul Itza Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5681534)

How long before Fox picks up "Roseanne". Lord knows, they could use a hit show.

EDIT, okay so not a hit. I did not realize the ratings had collapsed.

So ABC is less social warrior, and more corporate entity looking for an excuse to dump a loser.
   94. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5681535)
On the one hand, we don't want to encourage people to go around finding offensive (or putatively offensive) things someone said and then trying to get those people fired. That won't end well for anyone. On the other hand, private individuals -- unlike the government -- are allowed to draw distinctions between things that are merely outré and things that are genuinely awful. On the third hand, when I say private individuals are allowed to draw such distinctions, I do not mean that they will do a competent job of doing so. (The hysteria over kneeling NFL players is a good example of the right's stupidity in that regard; the hysteria over Kevin Williamson is a good example of the left's.)

Not a bad comparison.

In this instance, (a) it's not like this is a first offense for Roseanne; (b) it's not like someone had to hunt down an obscure thing she said 20 years ago, or reveal a private communication. She tweeted it; and (c) Roseanne works worked in a speech industry, and indeed made politics part of her marketing effort, so she can't pretend like this was unrelated to her job.

True, but it's also hard to think that ABC couldn't have realized that it was holding a ticking time bomb. I'm frankly amazed that her vulgar Star Spangled Banner rant didn't make her permanently persona non grata with all of the major networks. That was a thousand times more disrespectful to the flag than any amount of silent kneeling could possibly be.
   95. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5681537)
You are insane.

What do you call someone trying to discuss things with an insane person?
   96. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:09 PM (#5681538)
I'm frankly amazed that her vulgar Star Spangled Banner rant didn't make her permanently persona non grata with all of the major networks. That was a thousand times more disrespectful to the flag than any amount of silent kneeling could possibly be.

This.
   97. DavidFoss Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5681539)
In other viral news:

USGS says it is not safe to roast marshmallows over an erupting volcano

TLDR - the sulfuric acid from the vents will react spectactularly with the sugars in the marshmallows.

... Now You Know
   98. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5681540)
How long before Fox picks up "Roseanne". Lord knows, they could use a hit show.

Nope, FOX News has said ABC was right to cancel it. They'll have some explaining to do if they pick it up.
   99. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5681542)
What do you call someone trying to discuss things with an insane person?

That's not nice. I don't call you a Dancing Monkey.
   100. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5681544)

At the time of writing, the second and third items on his Twitter feed

And if that wasn't bad enough, check on this other retweet that was just down the same page:

Donald Trump Jr. Retweeted

Scott Adams
‏Verified account @ScottAdamsSays
6h6 hours ago

Scott Adams Retweeted Amy Siskind

Will you be seeking revenge for the strong economy, the peace with North Korea, the better trade deals, the prison reform, the pardon of Joe Jackson, or the crushing of ISIS? I apologize for all of that.

"Joe Jackson"? I know that Shoeless Joe and Jack Johnson were both big time 100 years ago, but still....
Page 1 of 13 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.