Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

OTP 2018 May 28: Don’t turn down WH invitation: Former Nats manager on Powerhouse Politics podcast

“Baseball is not about politics, it’s just about going out and enjoying the game,” Johnson says of his experience managing a team in the nation’s capital in comparison with managing teams elsewhere, such as the New York Mets, Cincinnati Reds and the Philadelphia Phillies.

Games at Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., are often a “who’s who” of the political world, including Supreme Court justices, leading Democratic and Republican congressional leaders and high-profile media figures. Johnson says when they come to the game, they put aside politics.

“You don’t think about politics you just think about baseball,” Johnson says about the unifying nature of professional baseball in the nation’s capital.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:50 AM | 1257 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, old man yells at cloud, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 13 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5681714)
--SBB--, #195:
In the case of you and yours, you're merely coincidentally and/or provisionally correct. Routinely.

Something for you to aspire to.
   202. Howie Menckel Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:13 PM (#5681715)
per 190

the prison reform bill easily passed the House recently
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A bipartisan bill to reform the federal prison system by helping inmates prepare for life after their release and reduce recidivism rates passed the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday, paving the way for it to be considered by the Senate.

The First Step Act does not contain a broader overhaul favored by some moderate conservatives and progressives seeking changes to mandatory minimum sentencing laws that have kept many low-level offenders behind bars for decades.

The bill’s top Democratic and Republican sponsors have said such broad reforms should be left out for now as a compromise to get legislation passed by the Senate and signed into law....

The White House said in a statement it was encouraged by the House vote.

“This is an important bill that promotes evidence-based programs to reduce recidivism and crime in America’s communities. Today’s strong bipartisan vote paves a path for action by the Senate,” the statement said.
   203. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:35 PM (#5681722)
The Curse of Clapper strikes again!

210. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 14, 2018 at 10:28 PM (#5672381)
Still a bit murky, but it looks like case against Eric Grietens has collapsed - Prosecutors Drop Sex Charges Against Missouri Governor:

Prosecutors on Monday abruptly dropped an invasion-of-privacy charge against Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens but said they still hope to pursue a case against him for allegedly taking a revealing photo of a woman with whom he has acknowledged having an affair. Greitens, who has long denied any criminal wrongdoing, emerged from the courthouse declaring vindication. His attorneys asserted the case had crumbled under a lack of evidence and doubted any charge will ever be refiled.
. . .
The prosecutor’s surprise move, announced after the third day of jury selection, came after the judge had granted a request by Greitens’ lawyers to call St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner as a witness for the defense. Greitens’ defense team has repeatedly criticized Gardner’s handling of the case, particularly her hiring of private investigator William Tisaby, whom Greitens’ lawyers have accused of perjury.

“The court’s order places the Circuit Attorney in the impossible position of being a witness, subject to cross-examination,” including by her own subordinates, Gardner spokeswoman Susan Ryan said in a statement.
. . .
Earlier Monday, Greitens’ attorneys said in court that prosecutors had stopped searching for evidence of the photo after failing to find it on Greitens’ cellphone or in cloud storage. “The case was going nowhere. There was no evidence to support any of the elements,” Greitens’ attorney Jim Bennett told reporters after the charge was dropped.

Defense attorneys have cited a litany of concerns about Gardner’s handling of the case. Among other things, they accused Tisaby, a former FBI agent, of lying when he said he did not take notes when he and Gardner on Jan. 29 interviewed the woman involved in the affair. A video of the interview belatedly provided to defense lawyers appears to show Tisaby taking notes.

Being cross-examined by your own subordinates is probably the easiest form of cross-examination, so I don't think that was the actual reason the DA pulled the plug. The direct examination might have been more of a problem. Greitens still carries the reputational damage for a sleazy affair with someone who turned on him, but that wouldn't seem all that likely to affect races when he isn't even on the ballot.

204. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:40 PM (#5681724)
Greitens still carries the reputational damage for a sleazy affair with someone who turned on him, but that wouldn't seem all that likely to affect races when he isn't even on the ballot.

Now even Republicans disagree with him.
   205. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:41 PM (#5681725)
Among other things, Behar called Mike Pence's Christianity a "mental illness.

Explain why it isn’t.
   206. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:43 PM (#5681726)
"Joe Jackson"?

Dilbert knows as much about boxing as he does about everything else.
   207. perros Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:44 PM (#5681727)
If a group dynamic is at play with school shootings, then what is the solution?

Opposing riots and shootings, it seems acts of kindness, generosity and compassion follow the same dynamic that Gladwell describes. From my own life, this is true.

The two interesting takes are linking school shootings to Mark Granovetter's riot as social process, which briefly posits that the further down the riot actor line you go, the more the person is reacting to social pressure to conform, rather than against it.

The second is pointing out the individual profiled was on the autism spectrum -- how he was neurologically out of line with normal social cues.

The only point I would draw is that understanding these events means dropping the politics down a notch or ten. Guns are largely irrelevant, this kid was going to make bombs and use an easily acquired shotgun -- IOW, these kids will find a work-around to any gun restriction.

I am currently reading Houellebecq's The Elementary Particles, which I believe suggess the chemistry geek should alter the means of human reproduction to solve the underlying social problems caused by one half of the human species.

Or something like that.
   208. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:48 PM (#5681730)
The only point I would draw is that understanding these events means dropping the politics down a notch or ten. Guns are largely irrelevant, this kid was going to make bombs and use an easily acquired shotgun -- IOW, these kids will find a work-around to any gun restriction

I’ll chalk that up as another vote for the “people will break laws so what’s the point” argument.

I wonder what kind of bombs the kid was going to make given that strong oxidizers are hard to get and the best ones are on a watchlist. Kids can’t have fun with potassium chlorate or nitrocellulose like I could when I was a lad. Ah, those tennis ball cannons were the best.
   209. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5681734)
Ah, those tennis ball cannons were the best.

We used potatoes. More damaging.
   210. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:57 PM (#5681735)
Potatoes are too irregular. A tennis ball fit perfectly inside a cylinder made of soup cans, every single time.
   211. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:58 PM (#5681736)
I wonder what kind of bombs the kid was going to make given that strong oxidizers are hard to get and the best ones are on a watchlist. Kids can’t have fun with potassium chlorate or nitrocellulose like I could when I was a lad. Ah, those tennis ball cannons were the best.

I find the "if not guns ___" argument complete nonsense. I've held this position my entire adult life, hell I can remember debating it in HS civics -- guns don't kill people, but they make it quite easy.

Fine, let them try and run kids over or make a bomb or wield a knife. Good luck. It's a helluva lot harder to kill a dozen people with a knife or a car or a bomb. How could anybody ####### argue otherwise? Even the founders didn't think much of a well regulated knife militia.
   212. perros Posted: May 29, 2018 at 06:59 PM (#5681737)
’ll chalk that up as another vote for the “people will break laws so what’s the point” argument.

Concession accepted.
   213. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:02 PM (#5681740)
A tennis ball fit perfectly inside a cylinder made of soup cans, every single time.

We were more high tech. PVC pipe. We could hit Russian tankers cruising through the Cape Cod canal from 50-75 yards away.
   214. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:03 PM (#5681742)
Concession accepted.

If the concession is that you're a dumb hippie, ok.
   215. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:13 PM (#5681745)
I find the "if not guns ___" argument complete nonsense.

Wait until Ray reads this. Boy is he gonna be triggered.
   216. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:17 PM (#5681746)

It's fun when the "a gun is just a tool, an object" folks also recommend women carry a handgun and homeowners keep shotguns. Maybe the homeowner should just be ready to run over potential robbers or women should knife their would be assailants?

Guns are a tool, for killing things. They are pretty good at it. They are convenient in ways a bomb or knife or car are not, is this not self evident?
   217. perros Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:19 PM (#5681748)
If the concession is that you're a dumb hippie, ok.

To hell with good intentions
   218. Lassus Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:25 PM (#5681752)
How about some politically-tinged pop culture news?

Guess what, David? You're finally going to get the Ayn Rand cinematic masterpiece you've always wanted:

Zack Snyder Says ‘The Fountainhead’ Is His Next Project
The director whose credits include 300, Watchmen, Man of Steel, Sucker Punch and Superman v Batman: Dawn of Justice had been developing the war pic The Last Photograph. It’s unclear where that stands (IMDbPro says it’s in pre-production), but when asked by a fan today during a Vero what his next project is, Snyder responded “Fountainhead.”
   219. Lassus Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:25 PM (#5681753)
Also, shut up, hippie.
   220. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:34 PM (#5681755)
That video was hilarious.
   221. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:36 PM (#5681757)
Zack Snyder Says ‘The Fountainhead’ Is His Next Project
Who could have imagined that Ayn Rand could become the witty, less turgid one?
   222. BDC Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:54 PM (#5681765)
Are we sure "Fountainhead" isn't a superhero who can turn his noggin into a sprinkler?
   223. Traderdave Posted: May 29, 2018 at 08:03 PM (#5681772)
I find the "if not guns ___" argument complete nonsense.

More than once I've asked Ray to describe his level of experience with & knowledge of guns, he's never answered, but he's such a ##### he may have me on ignore.

He comes off as an armchair expert on the subject, I'm guessing he's a gun virgin or close to it, but he won't answer.
   224. perros Posted: May 29, 2018 at 08:05 PM (#5681775)
Explain why it isn't.

The Spirit of God says I’ve chosen this man Donald Trump for such a time as this. For as Benjamin Netanyahu is to Israel, so shall this man be to the United States of America, for I will use this man to bring honor, respect and restoration to America. America will be respected once again as the most powerful, prosperous nation on Earth other than Israel. The dollar will be the strongest it has ever been in the history of the United States and will once again be the currency by which all others are judged. The Spirit of God says the enemy will quake and shake, and fear this man I have anointed. They will even quake and shake when he announces he is running for President. It will be like the shot heard across the world. Then you will say what shall we do now? This man knows all our tricks and schemes. We’ve been robbing America for decades. What should we do to stop this? The Spirit says, ha, no one shall stop this that I have started, for the enemy has stolen from America for decades and it stops now. For I will use this man to reap the harvest that the United States has sown for and plunder from the enemy what he has stolen, and return it back sevenfold to the United States. The enemy will say, ‘Israel, Israel, what about Israel?’ Israel will be protected by America once again. The Spirit says yes, America will once again stand hand in hand with Israel and the two shall be as one, for the ties between Israel and America will be stronger than ever and Israel will flourish like never before. The Spirit of God says I will protect America and Israel, for this next President will be a man of his word. When he speaks the world will listen and know that there is something greater in him than all the others before him. This man’s word is his bond and the world and America will know this, and the enemy will fear this, for this man will be fearless. The Spirit says when the financial harvest begins so shall the parallel in the spiritual for America. The Spirit of God says in this next election they will spend billions to keep this president out. It will be like money down the toilet. Let them waste their money, for where it comes from is being used by evil forces at work, but they will not succeed. This next election will be a clean sweep for the man that I have chosen. They will say things about this man, the enemy, but it will not affect him and they will say it rolls off of him like a duck. For even as the feathers of a duck protect it, so shall my feathers protect this next president. Even mainstream news media will be captivated by this man and the abilities that I gift to him and they will even begin to agree with him, says the Spirit.”
   225. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 08:13 PM (#5681779)
Didi now has a 2 game hitting streak!
   226. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 29, 2018 at 08:25 PM (#5681784)
Didi now has a 2 game hitting streak!

Meanwhile, you're still old :-)
   227. BDC Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:10 PM (#5681808)
Melissa McEwan on Twitter:

Conservatives think they're going to avenge Roseanne and punish liberals by getting Bill Maher taken off the air.

Oh no. *flails arms limply* Please don't. *falls asleep on couch*
   228. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:14 PM (#5681811)
@timduffy on Twitter:

First they came for Roseanne and I was like "Hell yeah."

Then they came for Bill Maher and I was like "Holy ####. Is it my birthday?"
   229. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:44 PM (#5681844)
Seriously, this woman needs help, and a lot of it.

Preferably administered with a shovel upside the head.

I do feel sorry... for the other cast members on the show.

I can't imagine why. They signed up to work with her, almost certainly knowing full well that she is a flaming racist. They spent years with her back in the day -- and spent time with her recently.

Particularly Goodman, who didn't need this silly gig.

One plausible reason they overlooked her racism is because they wanted the paycheck.
   230. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:46 PM (#5681848)
These private firings for speech do in fact violate the spirit of the First Amendment, and very much so. (And the same principle would apply, for example, to the NFL's national anthem policy and the blackballing of Kapernick and Eric Reid.)

The Bill of Rights aren't there merely to protect us against government, to be given as crimped an interpretation as possible, but to continually educate us about the substantive importance of the rights protected. Where the choice is between individual conscience and expression on the one hand, and craven corporate PR interests on the other hand, we are to properly prefer individual conscience and expression. We didn't, after all, let racist restaurant owners in the Jim Crow south point to their customers' feelings when we rightly demanded that they didn't exclude blacks. Same principle applies to the NFL and ABC.

There's an illiberal wind very much afoot in the United States -- and under no rational circumstance is it primarily blowing from the White House or the piehole of Donald Trump.

I disagree with the argument, SBB, but certainly if one is going to make the argument Roseanne is hardly the person to make the argument with. Pretty bog standard action by ABC to fire her and cancel her show for such overt racism. The real question is why ABC agreed to work with her again to begin with. They knew what they were getting,

One plausible reason is money.
   231. Blastin Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:50 PM (#5681854)
Even Ray is like, no, seriously, this is racist and bad.

Tomi Lahren is online like, no, this is bad.

To still be defending this has got to be lonely
   232. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:57 PM (#5681859)
Please tell me when Behar and Olbermann compared black people to apes.

What Roseanne said was disgusting and a fireable offense but she was describing one person, Valerie Jarrett, not an entire race.

Erm. This argument form might have had a modicum of merit eons ago, at the dawn of racism awareness, when perhaps it was seen as creative and people were still figuring this out, but for a great long time now it's been well accepted that when you demean an individual based on racism you've demeaned an entire race.

As for your description of her words as "disgusting" why not just call it what it is: racist. And then we can all move on from the "establishing water is wet" portion of the discussion.

(I'll confess I had no idea Jarrett is black until today.)

233. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:06 PM (#5681867)
I could care less about Roseanne's fate -- obviously, this isn't a 1A issue -- but it's pretty funny that the network which employs Joy Behar and *just* hired Olbermann quickly cancels her show for making an obscene remark.

Obscene? Her grabbing her crotch during the anthem was obscene. This is something different.
   234. Ray (CTL) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:10 PM (#5681872)
ABC made a business decision, Bear. Nothing more, nothing less.

So'd the NFL, so'd the Jim Crow restaurant owners. All violated the spirit of the First Amendment.

Read that closely: Not the letter of the First Amendment, the spirit of the First Amendment.

Is there a single time in recorded history where a judge was persuaded by a "spirit of the law" argument?
   235. tshipman Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:37 PM (#5681902)
I can't imagine why. They signed up to work with her, almost certainly knowing full well that she is a flaming racist. They spent years with her back in the day -- and spent time with her recently.

Particularly Goodman, who didn't need this silly gig.

One plausible reason they overlooked her racism is because they wanted the paycheck.

Goodman didn't need the paycheck, for sure.

I would imagine, without real knowledge, that Roseanne is probably the kind of person who is really frustrating to be friends with in public, but is very kind in private.
   236. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:42 PM (#5681904)
The One plausible reason is money.

FTFY.

ABC took a swing at a homerun, they probably got enough of what they were wanting ...
   237. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 29, 2018 at 11:18 PM (#5681929)
ABC got their home run. And they would have gotten another home run. There's no way ABC was done with her or the show, nor looking for an excuse to dump her. It's their #1 program, and they'd just renewed it, in full cognizance of the whole "having heard of and having dealt with Roseanne Barr" aspect of their decision.

ABC is the frog, Roseanne is the scorpion. The network is only disappointed that they have to get out of the river so fast.

Also, Roseanne isn't merely racist or crazy or hurtful or Trumpalicious-- she's funny. People like her because she's funny.

The "Roseanne" viewers who think that saying "monkey equals monkey!" is going to get Bill Maher retaliation-fired make one wonder what they actually comprehend about comedy. Though it's most likely that four-fifths of those pushing this flurry of sincere, principled objection through their tweets of wrath are humorless opportunists, as usual.

She is gone and he will stay, which is unfortunate because Roseanne Barr is 5,000 times funnier than Bill Maher.
   238. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 29, 2018 at 11:25 PM (#5681933)
Maher might not be so bad if he'd just stop laughing at his own jokes.
   239. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:01 AM (#5681953)
He'd be much better if I started laughing at his jokes.
   240. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:05 AM (#5681956)
The Onion:
ABC Criticized for Unrealistic Portrayal of Racists Actually Facing Consequences
   241. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:19 AM (#5681959)
New York Times:
Trump Asked Sessions to Retain Control of Russia Inquiry After His Recusal
When they met [at Mar-A-Lago in March 2017], Mr. Trump was ready to talk — but not about the travel ban. His grievance was with Mr. Sessions: The president objected to his decision to recuse himself from the Russia investigation. Mr. Trump, who had told aides that he needed a loyalist overseeing the inquiry, berated Mr. Sessions and told him he should reverse his decision, an unusual and potentially inappropriate request. Mr. Sessions refused.

The confrontation, which has not been previously reported, is being investigated by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, as are the president’s public and private attacks on Mr. Sessions and efforts to get him to resign. Mr. Trump dwelled on the recusal for months, according to confidants and current and former administration officials who described his behavior toward the attorney general.

The special counsel’s interest demonstrates Mr. Sessions’s overlooked role as a key witness in the investigation into whether Mr. Trump tried to obstruct the inquiry itself. It also suggests that the obstruction investigation is broader than it is widely understood to be — encompassing not only the president’s interactions with and firing of the former F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, but also his relationship with Mr. Sessions.

Investigators have pressed current and former White House officials about Mr. Trump’s treatment of Mr. Sessions and whether they believe the president was trying to impede the Russia investigation by pressuring him. The attorney general was also interviewed at length by Mr. Mueller’s investigators in January. And of the four dozen or so questions Mr. Mueller wants to ask Mr. Trump, eight relate to Mr. Sessions. Among them: What efforts did you make to try to get him to reverse his recusal?

...“‘Unrecuse’ doesn’t say, ‘Bury the investigation.’ It says on the face of it: Take responsibility for it and handle it correctly,” [Rudy] Giuliani said on Tuesday evening.

...Mr. Trump complains to friends about how much he would like to get rid of Mr. Sessions but has demurred under pressure from Senate Republicans who have indicated they would not confirm a new attorney general. ...When Mr. Trump learned of the recusal, he asked advisers whether the decision could be reversed, according to people briefed on the matter. Told no, Mr. Trump argued that Eric H. Holder Jr., President Barack Obama’s first attorney general, would never have recused himself from a case that threatened to tarnish Mr. Obama. The president said he expected the same loyalty from Mr. Sessions.

...[Legal] experts said they could think of no instance in which a prosecutor stepped aside from a case in circumstances similar to Mr. Sessions’s. Justice Department guidelines on recusal are in place to prevent the sort of political meddling the president tried to engage in, they said.
   242. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:50 AM (#5681978)
Mr. Trump, who had told aides that he needed a loyalist overseeing the inquiry, berated Mr. Sessions and told him he should reverse his decision, an unusual and potentially inappropriate request. Mr. Sessions refused.

If YOU were under investigation wouldn’t you want a loyalist leading it? No matter what term you want to use - loyalist, stooge, flunky, sycophant, courtier, lickspittle, dupe - it’s still the preferred choice if you already know you’re completely innocent.
   243. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 05:16 AM (#5681979)
Roseanne retweets conspiracy theory - Michelle Obama ordered her firing.
   244. -- Posted: May 30, 2018 at 05:47 AM (#5681980)
I disagree with the argument, SBB, but certainly if one is going to make the argument Roseanne is hardly the person to make the argument with.

The point of the principled argument is that it doesn't depend on the person on whose behalf it's asserted. Nazis in Skokie, e.g.

Same thing, for that matter, w/r/t to the principled argument that speech shouldn't be sanctioned based on its content -- which with very few exceptions is bog standard 1A stuff.
   245. -- Posted: May 30, 2018 at 05:49 AM (#5681982)
Is there a single time in recorded history where a judge was persuaded by a "spirit of the law" argument?

I'm not talking about judges here. We should all act in accordance with the spirit of the First Amendment -- including entities such as the NFL and ABC.
   246. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 06:10 AM (#5681983)
Guns don’t kill people - grocery store porn makes people use guns to kill people.

"Why do we see kids being so violent? What's out there? What makes them do that?" [Republican Rep. Diane Black of Tennessee] said. "Because, as a nurse, I go back to root cause. And I think it's a couple things," Black said, listing off deterioration of the family and violent movies, before mentioning pornography.

"Pornography. It's available. It's available on the shelf when you walk in the grocery store. Yeah, you have to reach up to get it, but there's pornography there," Black says in the audio. "All of this is available without parental guidance."

I bet she’s a shitty nurse, too.
   247. perros Posted: May 30, 2018 at 06:59 AM (#5681984)
Some of you are actual lawyers; others are pretend lawyers; then there are those who dream of working for ABC.
   248. perros Posted: May 30, 2018 at 07:13 AM (#5681985)
Thanks for that article. I enjoy Gladwell, especially his podcast.

You're welcome.

I listened to a couple of Gladwell's podcasts, and I don't think he's a particularly deep thinker; more a decent writer and reporter on social science. One podcast was on a Rand Corp. project to gauge NVA/VA resistance during the Vietnam War that concluded personal bias trumped data... largely unconscious bias based on personal experience and skin in the game. Not bad.

The other was on a couple of law review articles that revealed Texas could split itself up into five states if it so chose. Get right on that one, BDC.
   249. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 07:25 AM (#5681987)
Another racist Tweet from the Roseanne show. No way she works in Hollywood after that bigotry.
   250. BDC Posted: May 30, 2018 at 07:52 AM (#5681988)

Totally serious question (thus in no way supportive of anything that SBB asserts, naturally): isn't the whole concept of the "penumbra" basically a "spirit of the law" argument? Not being a lawyer, everything I remember about "penumbra" has to do with Griswold v. Connecticut, where the Supreme Court found a right to privacy (and thus to contraception) even though the Constitution mentions neither privacy nor contraception.

Now clearly I can't go into traffic court and persuade the judge with my bold original reasoning about the spirit of school zones. But at a higher level, it seems that constitutional law is guided by judges' sense of the spirit of the document.
   251. BDC Posted: May 30, 2018 at 07:54 AM (#5681990)
Pornography. It's available. It's available on the shelf when you walk in the grocery store

If kids are going to the grocery store to get porn, I think we're failing to teach them computer skills.
   252. BDC Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:02 AM (#5681993)
And finally, Texas could split itself up into five states if it so chose: this is a kind of urban legend (it even has a Snopes "Partly True" page). In practice it's no more true of Texas than of any other state: there have been some some relatively serious, if extremely fringy, schismatic movements in my memory (such as separating the Upper Peninsula of Michigan off as the State of Superior). The thing is that even if a state decides to go this route, Congress still has to approve the admission of the newly formed state(s) – at least that's my non-lawyer understanding, but it's probably mentioned in those law-review articles.

Every time somebody thinks "we can get ten Senators" somebody else thinks "yeah, and five governors of small-ass unimportant states," making the split-up a pretty frivolous proposition.
   253. GordonShumway Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:03 AM (#5681994)

Litigator here: Yes, happens all the time. And judges get away with doing so because they know that 99% of the time, the costs associated with appealing an order far exceed the benefits potentially gained.

EDIT: And they also know you're not going to make any complaints/file any grievances against them.
   254. McCoy Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:13 AM (#5681999)
Which grocery store sells porn? That was like a 1980's issue.
   255. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:22 AM (#5682003)
(such as separating the Upper Peninsula of Michigan off as the State of Superior).

This wins for awesome state name. Hell, they should do it for just that reason.
   256. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:24 AM (#5682004)
Roseanne retweets conspiracy theory

I thought part of this whole deal was that she was going to quit Twitter.

Which grocery store sells porn?

Those liberal commie perverts at Whole Foods, I'm assuming. But only artisanal porn.

That was like a 1980's issue.

Watch the Zuckerberg testimony again, all will become clear.
   257. McCoy Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:26 AM (#5682005)
The only point I would draw is that understanding these events means dropping the politics down a notch or ten. Guns are largely irrelevant, this kid was going to make bombs and use an easily acquired shotgun -- IOW, these kids will find a work-around to any gun restriction.

This sounds a whole helluvalot like the flawed view of the 1930's bomber doctrine in which countries all around Europe held as an absolute certainty that the bombers would always get through. That they were unstoppable forces that would reduce cities and economies to rubble.

There weren't students shooting up or blowing up schools at the rate that they are doing it now back in the 1970's and 1980's and it wasn't really until the late 90's where we started seeing kids going into schools and just trying to take down as many people as they could. I don't think it is a coincidence that as guns got easier to get into children's hands we got more shootings by kids.
   258. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:33 AM (#5682010)
Add Trey Gowdy to the unending list of Republicans Jason needs to disavow...

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), told Fox News on Tuesday that after attending the President Trump-mandated classified Justice Department briefing last week, he’s “convinced” the FBI acted correctly in deploying an informant to meet with Trump campaign officials.

“I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got and that it has nothing to do with Trump,” he said Tuesday evening.

Yeesh.... the Bushes, Kasich, McCain, Jeff Flake, lil' Marco...
   259. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:40 AM (#5682014)
I bet she’s a shitty nurse, too.

'Why are you ill? What's in there? What makes you sick? Because, as a nurse, I go back to root cause. And I think it's a couple things... Humours. They are in there. They are out of balance. They are overflowing. Yeah, you have to do some trepanning to get in there, to balance them. All of this is possible without medical guidance.'
   260. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:41 AM (#5682016)
Trepenation isn't to balance the humors you quack!
   261. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:48 AM (#5682021)
Trepenation isn't to balance the humors you quack!

--------the joke------>

your head 

262. McCoy Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:49 AM (#5682023)
I think he was joking as well, buddy.
   263. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:50 AM (#5682025)
I wonder what kind of bombs the kid was going to make given that strong oxidizers are hard to get and the best ones are on a watchlist.

Poorly built and ineffective "pipe bombs" apparently. Every time one of these guys tries to up the class-mate killing ante with home made bombs, I weep for our failure to develop chemists and engineers at the secondary school levels.
   264. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:50 AM (#5682026)
No I think he got it.
   265. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:52 AM (#5682028)
If kids are going to the grocery store to get porn, I think we're failing to teach them computer skills.

DING!
   266. -- Posted: May 30, 2018 at 08:58 AM (#5682033)
Another good example of the environmental devolution we've experienced is the virtually immediate terminations of Al Campanis and Jimmy the Greek in the late 1980s. The environment was far more sane and thus serious people could have great confidence that the principle was not going to be abused.

Thirty years later, there is no room for any such confidence.
   267. perros Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:02 AM (#5682037)
). In practice it's no more true of Texas than of any other state:

Yes, practically speaking, it's less likely than a billionaire reality tv star being elected President. But the point is Texas was uniquely admitted as a Republic and already granted the right to split by Congress, thus not requiring further Congressional approval.

From Bush's Presidential run, I unerstood Texas Governorship holds little real power... except as a potential springboard to 1600. Also, a divided Texas might secure more Democratic Senators than Reblican ones. The GOP would never let that happen.
   268. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:05 AM (#5682038)
So now Trump is whining about Sessions again. He says he should have picked someone else as AG. So not only did he pick the wrong guy as AG, he helped the D's pick up a seat in the senate.

Trump is a regular Johnny #### Up.
   269. McCoy Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:09 AM (#5682041)
No I think he got it.

Is there a way to do an arrow pointing down?
   270. Traderdave Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:09 AM (#5682042)
So now Trump is whining about Sessions again. He says he should have picked someone else as AG.

Nah, that's just the Ambien talking.
   271. McCoy Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:12 AM (#5682044)
From Bush's Presidential run, I unerstood Texas Governorship holds little real power... except as a potential springboard to 1600. Also, a divided Texas might secure more Democratic Senators than Reblican ones. The GOP would never let that happen.

Like all things if it happened there would need to be a balance. DC and possibly Puerto Rico would be admitted as states.

Yes, practically speaking, it's less likely than a billionaire reality tv star being elected President. But the point is Texas was uniquely admitted as a Republic and already granted the right to split by Congress, thus not requiring further Congressional approval.

That's an argument not a fact and it would get tested. I can't predict the future but I'm guessing if the government didn't want it to be so the Supreme Court would likely not wanted it so as well.
   272. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:19 AM (#5682051)
I wonder what kind of bombs the kid was going to make given that strong oxidizers are hard to get and the best ones are on a watchlist.

Poorly built and ineffective "pipe bombs" apparently.

But what's your explosive? All of the best options are almost impossible to get anymore. You're probably stuck with gunpowder but then you have to be careful of pipe threading when you're loading the bomb. And then what...you light a fuse and toss it? Because otherwise you're looking at making a blasting cap, which is another whole can of worms.

I'm tellin' ya, those government goons took away all our best options and stamped all over the 2nd amendment while the NRA types just whistled and looked around nervously.
   273. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5682056)
But the point is Texas was uniquely admitted as a Republic and already granted the right to split by Congress, thus not requiring further Congressional approval.
There are no assertions in this quoted sentence that are correct, making it superior to a typical FLTB post but par for the course for an OJ one.
   274. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:30 AM (#5682057)
Can't help but wonder what Juan, the think factory's resident conspiracy enthusiast, thinks about the status/whereabouts of the First Lady of the United States. Warrants monitoring...
   275. McCoy Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:40 AM (#5682061)
If this had happened to Michelle the view would be that Obama either beat her or harmed her in some way and that she is dead and the deep state is hiding it.
   276. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5682064)
As we all know, Melania is busy with the Secret Service, as always. 2 at a time, mostly.
   277. DavidFoss Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:47 AM (#5682069)
Eamon Javers of CNBC tweeted that he saw Melania walking around the White House with her aides yesterday. He also tweeted that he didn't want to disappoint the conspiracy theorists, though.
   278. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5682073)
Eamon Javers of CNBC tweeted that he saw Melania walking around the White House with her aides yesterday. He also tweeted that he didn't want to disappoint the conspiracy theorists, though.

She's trying to set an example by Being Best.
   279. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:52 AM (#5682075)
If this had happened to Michelle the view would be that Obama either beat her or harmed her in some way and that she is dead and the deep state is hiding it.

Maybe she's not allowed to be seen.
   280. BDC Posted: May 30, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5682078)
Isn't the simplest explanation that Hillary had Melania eliminated.
   281. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 30, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5682088)
A very short and incomplete list as a reminder just how pathetic and dishonest the man who some here are compelled to defend.

“People will just believe you. You just tell them and they believe you.”
To Billy Bush after Bush called him out for inflating his ratings.

“I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.”
At a rally in Iowa.

“You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so when you write negative stories about me, no one will believe you.”
To Lesley Stahl, explaining why he constantly attacks the press.

“I call it truthful hyperbole.”
From The Art of the Deal.

Trump told one ally this week that he wanted “to brand” the informant a “spy,” believing the more nefarious term would resonate more in the media and with the public.
Explaining why he falsely insisted that Stefan Halper was a “spy.”

“They may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.”
After his inauguration, admitting that he lied about unemployment figures.
   282. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: May 30, 2018 at 10:25 AM (#5682102)
I always found it hard to believe how many people supported Nixon to the bitter end. I didn't live through it, and it made no sense to me. Was half the country crazy?

I'm starting to understand.
   283. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 30, 2018 at 10:27 AM (#5682108)
I always found it hard to believe how many people supported Nixon to the bitter end. I didn't live through it, and it made no sense to me. Was half the country crazy?

I think Nixon's low - at least polling-wise - was 22%.... so it's more like 1/5 to 1/4 the country.

284. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 10:34 AM (#5682116)
Well if you take all the people in the country with below-average intelligence and segment them into their own group...nearly half of THEM will be below-average in that group as well.
   285. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 30, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5682120)
Ambien: While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.
   286. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5682123)
Edit: nevermind
   287. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: May 30, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5682129)
nearly half of THEM will be below-average in that group as well.
Nearly? ;)
   288. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5682131)

The devolution from that era to this is precisely what I'm talking about.

Are we not men?
   289. DavidFoss Posted: May 30, 2018 at 10:57 AM (#5682148)
Ambien: While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.

I just saw this is getting picked up by aggregators this morning. Roseanne continued retweeting and 'like'-ing crazy twitter posts of the same vein as those who got her into trouble yesterday even after she got fired and had time to think about it. She saw and responded to people replying to her continued twitter activity, but she continued on into the night and again this morning. Anyone can go check her feed and see it all. This is just who she is right now.
   290. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5682158)
I just saw this is getting picked up by aggregators this morning. Roseanne continued retweeting and 'like'-ing crazy twitter posts of the same vein as those who got her into trouble yesterday even after she got fired and had time to think about it. She saw and responded to people replying to her continued twitter activity, but she continued on into the night and again this morning. Anyone can go check her feed and see it all. This is just who she is right now.

It's like her SSB rendition in slo-mo... I wonder what the crotch grab and spit finale will be.

291. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5682159)
She's gone Full Trumpkin.

I hope America sees this as the cautionary tale it is.
   292. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:09 AM (#5682165)
She's gone Full Trumpkin.

I hope America sees this as the cautionary tale it is.

More likely, future GOP nominee...
   293. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:14 AM (#5682170)
Don't blame me, I voted for Judy Tenuta.
   294. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:23 AM (#5682179)
She saw and responded to people replying to her continued twitter activity, but she continued on into the night and again this morning. Anyone can go check her feed and see it all. This is just who she is right now.

If she is indeed bipolar (among, supposedly, other things), this pretty much sounds like a classic manic episode.

295. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:26 AM (#5682185)

Bingo.

The 2 great motivations in life: getting paid and getting laid...
   296. BDC Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:27 AM (#5682188)
More likely, future GOP nominee...

I am absolutely certain that younger folks here will live to see some sort of Roseanne/Kanye-like GOP ticket, and wax nostalgic for the dignified, focused Presidency of Donald Trump.
   297. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5682202)

everything I remember about "penumbra" has to do with Griswold v. Connecticut

That was a helluva Christmas...
   298. OCF Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5682203)
Arkady Babchenko.

Is this story just getting weird or what? Widely reported yesterday that he'd been murdered in his home in Kyiv, with the obvious suspects being Putnist thugs. Today, he's alive. The murder was a sting operation?
   299. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5682207)
Arkady Babchenko.

Is this story just getting weird or what? Widely reported yesterday that he'd been murdered in his home in Kyiv, with the obvious suspects being Putnist thugs. Today, he's alive. The murder was a sting operation?

Indeed - saw that....
   300. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:47 AM (#5682218)
Flipperoo.
Page 3 of 13 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
danielj
for his generous support.