Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

OTP 2018 May 28: Don’t turn down WH invitation: Former Nats manager on Powerhouse Politics podcast

“Baseball is not about politics, it’s just about going out and enjoying the game,” Johnson says of his experience managing a team in the nation’s capital in comparison with managing teams elsewhere, such as the New York Mets, Cincinnati Reds and the Philadelphia Phillies.

Games at Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., are often a “who’s who” of the political world, including Supreme Court justices, leading Democratic and Republican congressional leaders and high-profile media figures. Johnson says when they come to the game, they put aside politics.

“You don’t think about politics you just think about baseball,” Johnson says about the unifying nature of professional baseball in the nation’s capital.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 29, 2018 at 07:50 AM | 1257 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, old man yells at cloud, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   301. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5682220)

I always found it hard to believe how many people supported Nixon to the bitter end. I didn't live through it, and it made no sense to me. Was half the country crazy?

No, half the Country was scared shitless that it would be taken over by the hippies, who would elect Abbie Hoffman and Bob Dylan as President & Vice President, who would then order everyone over 35 be rounded up and force-fed LSD.
   302. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5682225)
who would then order everyone over 35 be rounded up and force-fed LSD.

Turns out, that may well have been what happened.
   303. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5682229)
who would then order everyone over 35 be rounded up and force-fed LSD.

14 or Fight (with Richard Pryor on drums).
   304. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:32 PM (#5682251)
Deep social media thoughts...

I had no idea so many Trumpkins were also devoted watchers of The View!
   305. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:45 PM (#5682270)
I had no idea so many Trumpkins were also devoted watchers of The View!

I believe the proper term is "hate-watch."
   306. BDC Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5682278)
Opioids in Seattle shellfish:

Scientists at the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife have found that mussels in Seattle's waters are testing positive for opioids.
The finding suggests "a lot of people" are taking oxycodone in the Puget Sound, researchers say.
State researchers distributed clean mussels around the Puget Sound and extracted them months later to test the waters.
Of the 18 locations scientists used, three showed traces of oxycodone. The drug traces were not enough to get any humans high from consumption, but enough to indicate a problem, officials said.

Hard to know what to make of this without some sort of baseline for comparison. Not that there are many ways of reading it as a good thing …

307. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:56 PM (#5682286)
The Alpha President:
Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?
   308. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 30, 2018 at 12:59 PM (#5682292)
The Alpha President:

I am always struck by how small, petty, and whiny Trump is. I wouldn't vote for him for dogcatcher, but some folks think he is ... well no clue how they rationalize in their minds.
   309. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:05 PM (#5682296)
He's a huge wuss. There has never been a crybaby of this magnitude in the White House, with the possible exception of actual babies passing through on tour.
   310. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:12 PM (#5682303)
I am always struck by how small, petty, and whiny Trump is. I wouldn't vote for him for dogcatcher, but some folks think he is ... well no clue how they rationalize in their minds.

The ones who don't have children are lucky, because down the road they'll have less explaining to do.
   311. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:15 PM (#5682311)
The entire term of the next President is going to be "What about Trump?"

And it will be 100% justified. You people who defend and even venerate that man should be ashamed and then even more ashamed when you attack the next President for being less than perfect and still 1000x better person than President Dumpster Fire.
   312. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:22 PM (#5682317)
What HORRIBLE things have been said about Trump on ABC?

I want to be sure no one is stealing my material and re-purposing it without attribution.
   313. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:31 PM (#5682331)
I am always struck by how small, petty, and whiny Trump is.
As if we needed any more evidence after his Memorial Day tweet, we get today's tacit wink that what she said wasn't really that bad anyway, not like what's been said about him. After all, there's very fine racists on all sides.
   314. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:37 PM (#5682342)
Hard to know what to make of this without some sort of baseline for comparison. Not that there are many ways of reading it as a good thing …

While I appreciate the boffins efforts I don't think you have to stick your head up a shellfish's ass to know a lot of people in the Seattle area are taking opioids. You could just walk around, for example.
   315. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:43 PM (#5682346)
The most awesome thing about that Trump tweet is that it is 100% about himself, like everything else Trump does.
   316. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5682348)
Cult of personality doesn't come within even miles of describing it...
   317. Traderdave Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5682350)

While I appreciate the boffins efforts I don't think you have to stick your head up a shellfish's ass to know a lot of people in the Seattle area are taking opioids. You could just walk around, for example.

In SF's Financial District yesterday I saw a guy injecting himself in a bus shelter. It's a very common sight around here.
   318. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5682352)
In SF's Financial District yesterday I saw a guy injecting himself in a bus shelter.

Could have been one of my people, a Type I diabetic!

But probably not.
   319. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5682353)
Why does he refer to himself in the third person like that?

"Don't. Touch. Donny!"
   320. Traderdave Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5682357)
Could have been one of my people, a Type I diabetic!

He was a diabetic who hadn't bathed, shaved or worn a clean shirt in weeks.
   321. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5682360)

Another good example of the environmental devolution we've experienced is the virtually immediate terminations of Al Campanis and Jimmy the Greek in the late 1980s. The environment was far more sane and thus serious people could have great confidence that the principle was not going to be abused.
This is why FLTB is a professional troll instead of an amateur one. An amateur one might try to change the subject; a professional one cites the facts that disprove his argument and cites them as though they prove his argument.
   322. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5682361)
He was a diabetic who hadn't bathed, shaved or worn a clean shirt in weeks.

Maybe he was one of the people Trump fired from his admin.
   323. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:57 PM (#5682366)

It's like her SSB rendition in slo-mo... I wonder what the crotch grab and spit finale will be.
I read that as "SBB."
   324. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5682368)
Likewise.
   325. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5682384)

He's a huge wuss. There has never been a crybaby of this magnitude in the White House, with the possible exception of actual babies passing through on tour.

"Donald Trump is a whiny little bittch." -- Bill Maher
   326. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5682402)
I read that as "SBB."

Maybe she'll grab him by the crotch.

You gotta admit, it would provide some amazing symmetry.
   327. Stormy JE Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5682404)
What a way to say thank you for promoting net neutrality...

Obamas' Netflix deal inked with help from bundler buddy:
Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos celebrated Barack and Michelle Obama as “among the world’s most respected and highly-recognized public figures” in announcing a deal last week for the Obama family to produce films and series for the streaming service.

“We are incredibly proud they have chosen to make Netflix the home for their formidable storytelling abilities,” Sarandos said in a news release.

What Sarandos didn’t mention: He and his wife have long been donors and friends to the Obamas, having raised more than a half-million dollars as bundlers for the president’s campaign in 2012. His wife, Nicole Avant, also was appointed by Obama as ambassador to the Bahamas, serving from 2009 to 2011.

Netflix confirmed to Fox News on Tuesday that Sarandos himself was directly involved in brokering the Obama deal.
Two points:

1. Anyone who had a cow over Reagan giving two speeches in Japan for $2M ought to say something about this no-show deal. FFS, Obama was a star on the left because of what he said *in front of* the camera, not behind it.

2. If I were a Netflix shareholder, I'd be pretty pissed off at this contract, reportedly valued at over $50 million -- meaning I don't blame Obama for inking such a sweetheart arrangement. This is on the company brass.
   328. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5682407)
Jason has now gone so crazy that he's relating two things that have nothing to do with each other.

He blames the ambien...
   329. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5682408)
What a way to say thank you for net neutrality...

What a dumb way to introduce this post about a ... scandal?

Seriously dude, what a crazy reach for a scandal. Your big take away (other than the dumb "thanks for Net Neutrality", which is bizarre and doesn't even make sense) is a call back to Reagan and some sobbing about Netflix shareholders? Really?

EDIT: Coke (with Ambien) for Zonk.
   330. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:32 PM (#5682410)
2. If I were a Netflix shareholder, I'd be pretty pissed off at this contract, reportedly valued at over $50 million -- meaning I don't blame Obama for inking such a sweetheart arrangement. This is on the company brass.

Then you don't know how Netflix operates. The Get Down cost over $120 million. There was another show that cost $9 million/episode. But, please, feel bad for their shareholders because of this one transaction.

Edit: Ahh, it was Sense8 that cost $9 million/episode.

331. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5682411)
EDIT: Coke (with Ambien) for Zonk.

Great... now I see apes everywhere.
   332. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5682414)
Wait, the Netflix deal is a kickback to a former POTUS for supporting net neutrality? Good lord, get off the right wing blogs dude.
   333. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5682415)
Then you don't know how Netflix operates. The Get Down cost over $120 million. There was another show that cost $9 million/episode. But, please, feel bad for their shareholders because of this one transaction.

That might be The Crown - which cost a reported 130 million.

Indeed, you'd be hard-pressed to find a Netflix show that costs less than 50 million. In 2016, they spent 6 billion on original content production alone.
   334. Stormy JE Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:37 PM (#5682417)
Liberal PAC Urges Donors To ‘Take Out’ Republican Congressman Who Survived Being Shot Last Year:
A liberal group is raising money to put up a billboard to “take out” Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), who survived being shot while practicing at a baseball field in Alexandria last June.

The homepage of Mad Dog PAC’s website has a photo of the proposed billboard with a link asking site-goers for donations. The liberal group is the same organization behind a billboard with the message “IMPEACHMENT NOW” along the motorcade route to Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. ...

Mad Dog PAC chairman Claude Taylor told The Ledger that his group was planning to “toss mortars” at the other side.

“People know that President Trump is a crook, and we’re going to do something about it,” Taylor said. “We are tossing mortars at the other side. We’re not offering policy prescriptions. We’re attack dogs; that’s what we’re here for.”
Will every lefty here unequivocally condemn this repugnant #### of an organization and any candidate who accepts its contributions? (Watch Andy not be able to help himself and utter "But but but Trump!")
   335. Stormy JE Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5682419)
Seriously dude, what a crazy reach for a scandal. Your big take away (other than the dumb "thanks for Net Neutrality", which is bizarre and doesn't even make sense) is a call back to Reagan and some sobbing about Netflix shareholders? Really?
Are you disputing that the possibility that Netflix's position on net neutrality played any role in this decision? Why do you think this deal happened?
   336. Stormy JE Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5682420)
LMAO. Your defense is that Netfix spends a shitload of $ on a few of its shows so who gives a flying #### about a kickback of $50+M?

Yeah, remind me not to put you in charge of my money.
   337. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5682422)
Your defense is that Netfix spends a shitload of $ on a few of its shows so who gives a flying #### about a kickback of $50+M?

It's a defense to your tears on behalf of the company's shareholders.
   338. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:48 PM (#5682423)
Are you disputing that the possibility that Netflix's position on net neutrality played any role in this decision? Why do you think this deal happened?

Considering Netflix signed peering agreement with Comcast and Verizon the year before the net neutrality rules came to pass - and neither party saw fit to rewrite or rip up the agreement after net neutrality came to pass, I would say the two are unrelated.

Indeed, Netflix's stance on net neutrality began subtly shifting years before net neutrality came to pass.... that's the benefit of being the biggest kid in the streaming content sandbox. Net neutrality was never meant nor would it ever be necessary for such behemoths.

Now... when Roseanne gets her deal to star in Newsmax's new streaming service - I suspect your views might change.... Like they always do.

You know about as much about technology as you do about principles.
   339. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:48 PM (#5682424)
Now that I've heard of this PAC, which I never would have, they suck, and shouldn't be listened to, and are the sort of bros who make life worse. I hope they go bankrupt and go back to screaming JETER SWALLOWS.

That being said, please feel free to fuck off with this pathetic OMG NO LEFTY REACTION strategy. Slow news day?
   340. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5682430)
Liberal PAC Urges Donors To ‘Take Out’ Republican Congressman Who Survived Being Shot Last Year:

Sounds like a dispute for Gabby Giffords and Sarah Palin to mediate...
   341. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5682431)
Are you disputing that the possibility that Netflix's position on net neutrality played any role in this decision?

He is joining the endless parade of people who are coming to realize what I've been telling them for a year or more now. You've lost your goddamned mind and are a full blown Twitter-verse conspiracy nutter.
   342. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5682432)
Your big take away (other than the dumb "thanks for Net Neutrality", which is bizarre and doesn't even make sense)

It makes sense if you don't know anything about the internet. So, you know, throw it on the heap for Juan.

Meanwhile he hasn't uttered a peep about the death toll in Puerto Rico. Juan has turned his back on his own people to become a full-time Trumpholster. Sad.
   343. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5682437)

A liberal group is raising money to put up a billboard to “take out” Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), who survived being shot while practicing at a baseball field in Alexandria last June.

The homepage of Mad Dog PAC’s website has a photo of the proposed billboard with a link asking site-goers for donations. The liberal group is the same organization behind a billboard with the message “IMPEACHMENT NOW” along the motorcade route to Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. ...

Mad Dog PAC chairman Claude Taylor told The Ledger that his group was planning to “toss mortars” at the other side.

“People know that President Trump is a crook, and we’re going to do something about it,” Taylor said. “We are tossing mortars at the other side. We’re not offering policy prescriptions. We’re attack dogs; that’s what we’re here for.”

These guys are severe whack-a-doos.

Thing is, the entire left isn't like this, but one could see how the righties on here would call all of it "unhinged," if this is what you're basing it on.

EDIT: though the placement of the "Impeachment Now!" billboard is pretty clever.

344. Stormy JE Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:55 PM (#5682443)
Sounds like a dispute for Gabby Giffords and Sarah Palin to mediate...
Nice try, zonk, but that #### got debunked a long time ago.
   345. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5682444)
Indeed, Netflix's stance on net neutrality began subtly shifting years before net neutrality came to pass.... that's the benefit of being the biggest kid in the streaming content sandbox. Net neutrality was never meant nor would it ever be necessary for such behemoths.

Yes but you're assuming Juan actually gives a fig about "Net Neutrality" besides having formed his opinion once he heard "Net Neutrality is Obamacare for the internet." As I noted on this very forum, Netflix initially did NOT oppose the repeal of Net Neutrality in 2016 because, they explained, they were the largest video streaming pay site in the world and could afford any carrier fees which would have a much harder impact on their competitors.

But unless that information was relayed on /pol [kek] I wouldn't expect Juan to be aware of it.
   346. Stormy JE Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5682446)
Thing is, the entire left isn't like this, but one could see how the righties on here would call all of it "unhinged," if this is what you're basing it on.
The list of wackadoos on your side grows longer and stronger every day, MFC.
   347. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 30, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5682449)
Imagine how bad the water in the lakes in West Virginia or Ohio must be.

Washington state ranked #37 in opioid death rate in 2016, FWIW.
   348. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5682451)

Backatcha. Do I need to provide a list?
   349. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5682452)
Mad Dog PAC.... $330,000?

That'll buy you the silence of two porn stars with some change for VD treatments, 1/4 of an abortion, or a few hours of quality time with Michael Cohen!
   350. Traderdave Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5682453)

It's got a loooooong way to go to match 60 million who voted for Il Duce. Though in fairness, not all of them are wackadoos. A fair chunk of them are stupid, and some are both.
   351. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5682457)
And some, I assume, are good people
   352. Stormy JE Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5682458)
That'll buy you the silence of two porn stars with some change for VD treatments, 1/4 of an abortion, or a few hours of quality time with Michael Cohen!
LOL, Avenatti. Apparently, the dude was forced to choose between being CNN's new BFF and representing his aggrieved client, Stormy, in the State of New York. Guess which one he chose?

What an assclown.
   353. Traderdave Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5682459)
And some of them, I assume, are good people

Well played, sir.
   354. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5682460)
It's got a loooooong way to go to match 60 million who voted for Il Duce.

The President was a birther. You don't have to match the 60 Million, you've got JE's man right there.
   355. Stormy JE Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5682461)
Have you already signed up for the Trump 2020? Because moronic comments like yours will go a long way to getting POTUS re-elected.
   356. Stormy JE Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5682462)
In Kremlin-related news today, Bill Browder was briefly detained in Spain (thanks, Fusion GPS!), while a Russian journalist supposedly assassinated the other day turned up very much alive at a Kyiv news conference.
   357. zenbitz Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5682464)
@249: "White people are powerful" is not exactly a racist statement;
   358. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5682465)
The liberal group is the same organization behind a billboard with the message “IMPEACHMENT NOW” along the motorcade route to Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. ...
Not sure why the motorcade reference is relevant.

They are also the ones who put up the billboard with a mug shot of Matt Gaetz (R, Fl 1) asking how many DUIs he has. Not terribly clever, but this doesn't seem to be an improper question to ask.

Anyway, the "take him out" language appears to have either been changed on the mad dog PAC web site, or the product of a right wing fever swamp, since the language on the mad dog PAC web page and the proposed billboard says "vote him out". Specifically,

"Steve Scalise LOVED voting away your healthcare. VOTE HIM OUT".
   359. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5682466)
Have you already signed up for the Trump 2020? Because moronic comments like yours will go a long way to getting POTUS re-elected.

Here we go...
   360. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5682467)
What an assclown.

I defer to your ever-burgeoning expertise on ass clownery.
   361. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5682468)

LOL, JUANABOUT Avenatti.

Oh Juan, even Barbarino didn't turn out as wacky as you, and he's a Scientologist.
   362. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:15 PM (#5682469)

Doubling down on this nonsense even after ya boy continues to get dunked on? Worth monitoring.
   363. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5682471)

Whereas when a president compares his own intelligence agencies to Nazis, it's so completely predictable it gets lost in the shuffle.
   364. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5682472)
Oh Juan, even Barbarino didn't turn out as wacky as you, and he's a Scientologist.

To be fair, Trump is holding his thetans hostage...
   365. . Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5682473)
@249: "White people are powerful" is not exactly a racist statement;

Of course that isn't close to what she said -- which is that white people are thieves.
   366. BDC Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5682475)
I admit I don't understand how to get around the backlash principle.

"You voted for someone evil, mean and stupid. That was stupid."

"ME STUPID? I'LL SHOW YOU WHO'S STUPID" {votes for Evil Mean Stupid again}.

The extra impetus provided by "That was stupid" is like a gnat pushing an SUV.
   367. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5682476)
LMAO. Your defense is that Netfix spends a shitload of $ on a few of its shows so who gives a flying #### about a kickback of $50+M?

Every dollar Netflix spends on programming they expect to recoup in subscriber dollars. Did it ever occur to you that Netflix may end up doing a lot better because of the involvement of the Obamas? They are pretty popular, unlike the organ grinder you dance for. LMAO.
   368. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5682477)
Can lefties denounce Mad Dog PAC in the same brave words used for the last three years by hundreds of Republican public servants? "Those are not the words I would have chosen."
   369. zenbitz Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5682478)
@334 Sounds like nut jobs to me. I saw a very HYPER dude in a maga cap on campus yesterday evening shouting into his phone about about Starbucks' sensitivity training being "not very sensitive" after a conversation with Starbuck manager. (The Starbucks, was indeed, closed for sensitivity training).

From your link:
Individual donors gave 75 large ($200+) contributions to this PAC in 2017-2018.

No one I know. There are at least 10 duplicate donors though.

370. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5682479)
McCoy, #254:
Which grocery store sells porn?

Lots of national grocery chains do. Pubix. Lick 'n Save. Safeword.
   371. BrianBrianson Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5682480)
I find the "if not guns ___" argument complete nonsense. I've held this position my entire adult life, hell I can remember debating it in HS civics -- guns don't kill people, but they make it quite easy.

It's not an argument, it's what comes out of the data. Murder rates are totally uncorrelated with gun ownership rates - more access to guns doesn't lead to more murders. Murder-with-gun rates are strongly correlated with gun ownership rates - more access to guns means you're more like to use a gun when you murder someone.

Controlled experiments are a lot tougher, but the best is the Great Australian Gun Control and Buyback in '95 - the murder rate didn't change in Australia*, but the fraction of murders committed with guns started going down, and the number of stabbings and stranglings and poisonings and so forth went up.

*There's a linear decrease from ~1980 to the present day, but nothing changed in '95.
   372. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5682481)

Can lefties denounce Mad Dog PAC in the same brave words used for the last three years by hundreds of Republican public servants? "Those are not the words I would have chosen."

Bravo!
   373. . Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5682482)
Every dollar Netflix spends on programming they expect to recoup in subscriber dollars. Did it ever occur to you that Netflix may end up doing a lot better because of the involvement of the Obamas? They are pretty popular, unlike the organ grinder you dance for. LMAO.

Actually, as anyone not in the throes of TDS knows, Donald Trump is a proven TV ratings grabber, at high levels. Indeed, it helped propel him to the presidency.
   374. zenbitz Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5682485)
Many do you even CLICK THROUGH YOUR OWN LINKS - the anti-Scalise billboard\ says:

$teve $calise LOVED voting away *your* healthcare. VOTE HIM OUT

Quelle Outrage'

EDIT: And cokes.
   375. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:26 PM (#5682486)

Actually, as anyone not in the throes of TDS knows, Donald Trump is a proven TV ratings grabber, at high levels.

So are car crashes and police chases.
   376. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5682487)
Actually, as anyone not in the throes of TDS knows, Donald Trump is a proven TV ratings (I'm not even gonna; it's just too damn easy!) grabber,

FIFY

EDIT: Seriously, Bear, you had to have done that on purpose...
   377. zenbitz Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5682490)
Of course that isn't close to what she said -- which is that white people are thieves.

She also said "Black people take wallets". Dumbass.
   378. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5682492)
Actually, that --the... ummm... grabbing - score bonzo ratings, too. But everybody says that they just watch it for the articles.
   379. DavidFoss Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:34 PM (#5682495)
Actually, as anyone not in the throes of TDS knows, Donald Trump is a proven TV ratings grabber, at high levels. Indeed, it helped propel him to the presidency.

The plan if they had lost the election was some sort of Trump channel, no? I imagine they'd still be game for something like that in 2025. The Palins had a reality show for a while.
   380. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5682508)

Yeah, and most of them don't understand what Netflix is.
   381. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5682511)

Am I overstepping my bounds as a certified White Devil if I summarize her comment as, "Black people commit minor crimes. White people commit genocide"?
   382. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 30, 2018 at 03:59 PM (#5682524)
Quelle Outrage'

EDIT: And cokes.
So apparently there was a popup script that said "Take him out". It's not there any more, as far as I can tell. The billboard has always said "vote him out", even in the picture on the feveralist web site.

Tasteless, but not remotely close to as bad as Trump's "second amendment people" line. And they claim to have received death threats for the "IMPEACHMENT NOW" billboard, which is a clear escalation in the cray cray.

383. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:03 PM (#5682525)
Tasteless, but not remotely close to as bad as Trump's "second amendment people" line.

Mad Dog PAC should hire Trump's former spokesperson Katrina Pierson to reprise her exact Trump alibi from 2016: Mad Dog PAC was only "saying what could happen," not what they wish to happen.
   384. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5682532)
Mad Dog PAC should hire Trump's former spokesperson Katrina Pierson to reprise her exact Trump alibi from 2016: Mad Dog PAC was only "saying what could happen," not what they wish to happen.
Plus you can't even prove that the shooter ever heard the speech. Saw the billboard. Ordered a pizza. Whatever.
   385. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5682533)
Happily, MAD Dog PAC has deleted the previous incendiary language about Steve Scalise's reelection, and have replaced it with something more appropriate and statesmanlike.
   386. . Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5682543)

Not in the tweet that was posted.
   387. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5682551)
Are you disputing that the possibility that Netflix's position on net neutrality played any role in this decision?

Yes. I generally discount and otherwise assume conspiracy theories are without merit unless there is some non-nutty evidence suggesting they are real.

Why do you think this deal happened?

Netflix is kind of loose with their spending (as per many posts above). They are desperate to completely get off the "showing you content rented from other content producers" model and into "we will show you our awesome content." Presumably they think the Obama deal will generate more money - directly or indirectly - than it cost. They might be wrong (I would bet they are actually).
   388. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5682552)
It's not an argument, it's what comes out of the data. Murder rates are totally uncorrelated with gun ownership rates - more access to guns doesn't lead to more murders. Murder-with-gun rates are strongly correlated with gun ownership rates - more access to guns means you're more like to use a gun when you murder someone.

Controlled experiments are a lot tougher, but the best is the Great Australian Gun Control and Buyback in '95 - the murder rate didn't change in Australia*, but the fraction of murders committed with guns started going down, and the number of stabbings and stranglings and poisonings and so forth went up.

What about suicide and other violence?

Note: I still think gun control is for now a lost cause and not worth the effort many liberals put into it, but I would like to hear the facts.
   389. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5682555)
Why do you think this deal happened?

Netflix is kind of loose with their spending (as per many posts above). They are desperate to completely get off the "showing you content rented from other content producers" model and into "we will show you our awesome content."

Ask Juan what Letterman and David Chapelle did to land their big Netflix deals. See if he can give you an answer without invoking George Soros.
   390. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5682556)

JE, the biggest difference here, as has been pointed out before, is that while the left is littered with wackadoo fringe jobs that should be condemned, they're mostly fringe jobs. And yes, their stance and tactics are repugnant and deplorable.

Whereas the GOP has repugnant and deplorable sitting in the White House, and your efforts to equate the two only serves to normalize Trump a little bit more.

AND, if you want to play the WhatAbout game, one could make the argument that it's Trump's very success at mobilizing the wacky fringes of the right has enabled/encouraged/caused the wacky fringes of the left to become more strident.

ETA: And furthermore, the increasing game of "your side this and your side that" is REALLY starting to piss off the moderates in the middle. Please keep in mind that not everyone who finds Trump to be a clown must needs be "lefty".
   391. Random Transaction Generator Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:38 PM (#5682558)

The deal probably happened because Obama's name looks like gold right now, and having anything associated with him is worth the money.

They paid Letterman $12million for just 6 episodes of his talk show. Oh, and the first guest he had on the show? Obama.

If you think $50million is a lot of money for Netflix to shell out, you haven't been paying attention. It said it will be spending up to $8 **BILLION** on original programming in 2018.
So I guess when they spend 0.625% of it on an Obama deal, that's a big deal to you and your conspirators.
   392. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5682559)
I admit I don't understand how to get around the backlash principle.

"You voted for someone evil, mean and stupid. That was stupid."

"ME STUPID? I'LL SHOW YOU WHO'S STUPID" {votes for Evil Mean Stupid again}.

It's actually quite clever if you think about it. It allows them to have the president they want, but also gives them the baked-in, "Well, it's really your fault he got elected" line that they think absolves them of any ownership for Trump being in office.
   393. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5682561)
Hmm
   394. dlf Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5682564)
Mad Dog PAC should hire Trump's former spokesperson Katrina Pierson ...

Well, on Planet Claire, people do Hero Worship, but as long as they don't Party Out of Bounds, its all Legal Tender. Tell It Like T-I-Is, Ms. Pierson!
   395. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5682565)
It's actually quite clever if you ...

accept the basic premise. Which is really dumb.
   396. Eddo Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5682566)
Even if Obama's stance on net neutrality did play in, is "media outlet hires former high profile politician whose politics they approve of" isn't particularly noteworthy.
   397. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2018 at 04:58 PM (#5682570)
Tasteless, but not remotely close to as bad as Trump's "second amendment people" line.

In fairness, this is an example of exactly the goofy WHATABOUT tactic indictment that gets lobbed at JE constantly. I mean, he deserves it, but be better.
   398. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5682575)
#394: - applause -
   399. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 30, 2018 at 05:02 PM (#5682576)
Obama + Netflix + Trump.

T-minus five to the "Orange is the New Black" joke... T-minus four... T-minus three...
   400. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: May 30, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5682579)
So I guess when they spend 0.625% of it on an Obama deal, that's a big deal to you and your conspirators.

It's a kickback over Obama's stance on net neutrality! (Dip #### Juan doesn't realize that its repeal HELPS Netflix.)

Juan is a ####### idiot.
Page 4 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Traderdave
for his generous support.